Time Matters®

Time Matters® leverages flexible practice management software to foster collaboration on matters, streamline internal processes and fuel growth through increased billable hours and profitability.

Work for Time Matters®?

Learning about Time Matters®?

Time Matters® Reviews

Showing 30 Time Matters® reviews
Time Matters® review by <span>Victor Alday N.</span>
Victor Alday N.

"Time Matters, really."

What do you like best?

If updated regularly, Time Matters is a great tool to keep track of every matter handled by the firm. Not only does keep track of current matters, but also old ones. It keeps track of all the attorneys (past and present) handling the cases. It also keep track of certain details such as attorneys for both parties as well as client information. The tool is highly customizable for any law firm practicing any kind of specialty.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is rather big. There are just so many features and functions it may take a while for people to learn how to use the software and turn it to an actual useful tool. The icons for the Matter forms and when you hover over it, it takes a second or two for it's description to be displayed, rather than being instant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like I mentioned before, it's a tool best served when it's updated regularly as it contain information useful information regarding open matters as well as closed ones. IMO, there should be a certain department or person who should be assigned to maintain the information contained within the tool, but pretty much anyone in the firm can do it.

If updated regularly, the tool can be an excellent go to source for all the general information needed for a case. Sometimes when people want to know what the status of a case is or is looking for contact information, the best source to go to would be Time Matters.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Time Matters®
Time Matters® review by <span>Amanda S.</span>
Amanda S.

"Excellent recommendation of Time Matters"

What do you like best?

The ease of teaching others to use the system.

What do you dislike?

The small size of the type/font used for display items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. It may take time to get used to your new system but it is worth it. We even share data with another attorney that we work with who uses TM and that is a HUGE help.

I could write a book on all of the issues this program has solved at our office. When we finally convinced our boss that we needed a serious upgrade we looked at several program possibilities. Time Matters was the best option for us. We use this product for our Legal Division (Real Estate has a different program database). It's great for a smaller office (we have 5 attorneys in our legal division) or a lager firm of 100 or more. The fact that you can link all of your documents together, your matters together and get a clear picture of the entire file in one click is a HUGE plus. We were previously saving files by category (i.e. Domestic, Probate, Wills, etc.) so that our client's documents were scattered throughout the system. With TM you have individual client folders categorized into as many matters as you may handle for your clients. Documents are easier to save, it works well with PDF, WORD & EXCEL docs. We've managed to train older and younger attorneys on how to use all of the main features and for those of us with more computer skills we have learned the "extras" that really make the program work for us. I would recommend this program for any law office.

What Legal Case Management solution do you use?

Time Matters® review by <span>Tori N.</span>
Tori N.

"Great program "

What do you like best?

I like the interface of time matters. This program contains all features needed to effectively manage your clients and their cases, your contact into for potential clients, contact info for judges, trustees, other attorneys, referral partners, etc.

What do you dislike?

This program is not cloud-based. I also do not like the email server that is built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s not could based. At some point our firm will outgrow it completely because we need the means to access our info from anywhere and not be tied to a server

This solves our problem for organization. This program helps us seamslessly transfer data on our cases between team members.

User in Law Practice

"Unhappy Time Matters User"

What do you like best?

I can see all of my "active" files on one screen.

What do you dislike?

Time Matters is slow and sluggish. It is a very cumbersome product that has not been updated in what appears to be a decade. I frequently have to use the backend method of accessing documents because Time Matters is always freezing up. Searching in Time Matters is annoying. It is hard to find documents you prepared previously. There is a huge lack of support and no one from the company will assist in fixing Time Matters issues. Further, I have frequent Time Matters errors that freeze up progress for 30 minutes of more. Don't purchase this product. Lexis only tells lies about the benefits of this software. Scrolling through a list of documents or a list of active files is even a miserable experience. The font is too small and hard to read. I wish that I could change the appearance of the font and size of the font.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend that if your company is considering to purchase Time Matters, then you need to look at all available options and make sure you know that you will have adequate support from LexisNexis Time Matters.

The only benefit is that I can view all documents related to a client file on a screen. I'm not sure I'd say business problems are solved by TM.

Time Matters® review by <span>Rebecca M.</span>
Rebecca M.

"Efficient Program Capable of Large Databases"

What do you like best?

I most appreciate the ability for users to control client and case identifiors, the ease of retrieving documents, emails, memos, and contact informationin one place. The use of alerts is especially beneficial on a daily basis, as well as setting deadline dates and reminders.

What do you dislike?

I’d like the ability to save one document or email to multiple files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the support team and individuals who can provide you with training in the program.

Prioritizing todo’s has always been difficult, this system makes that process much easier. Calendaring events has had the biggest impact on our office.

Time Matters® review by <span>Tom C.</span>
Tom C.

"We have used it and consulted on Time Matters for 20 years"

What do you like best?

1. A little know and used feature - Under utilities there is a feature for wrapping up customization and transferring from one system to another - this can save a tremendous amount of time and allows a practice system system template to be plugged in - in just a few minutes.

2. Doc assembly for short routine doc templates is extremely fast and easy.

3. It combines contacts, matters and related records including calendar, documents, email, notes, billing, etc into one integrated system.

4. It is fast.

5 It is flexible.

6. At an advanced level It is what you make it. Invest time customizing fields, doc templates, automatic workflow and reports and you will be well rewarded. (or even better using the 'package feature' utility see #1 above.

What do you dislike?

No document portal at the present time. Aug 2016

Recommendations to others considering the product

First - define your needs, workflow, etc. and get someone (user or advisor) who has already done what you want and need to do. Commit to learning, get training. It is flexible - many ways to do same thing - this may be confusing initially but 'it is good to have options'.

Existing users who have used for years and 'get it would to quote one long time user

"would have a cow if they movedto something else'.

It doesn't just happen. The key is to configure the features to support each step of each process in your office. .

Contact management

Matter Management

Document assembly

Document and Email management

Paperless office

Workflow management

Management Reporting

Time Capture generated from other non billing records

Flexible Billing Options Internal or with a Variety of Billing Apps

Integration with Exchange, Office 365

Both On Premise and Remote Access (Private Cloud)

Time Matters® review by <span>Bob C.</span>
Bob C.

"Time Capture - Not What Was Promised"

What do you like best?

Not much. We have been trying to implement the software for over two weeks. None of the promised features work the way we were told. We are looking for a time capturing system and were sold on the case management features. The case management part of the program is very superficial and not suitable for any kind of complex case. We were also told that it would manage our documents and make copies of documents from other applications. That is false. It does not copy documents it copies file addresses. So if you have a document on your computer and "load" it into time matters and then move the file to another location on your computer or change the file name, you loose it in time matters.

What do you dislike?

It is a 90's piece of software. Using this program reminds me of the early Windows days - all sizzle and no bacon. If you have multiple users forget about trying to use it as a case management tool. Also contrary to what we were told it does not really work with Outlook. It allows you to link emails from Outlook but it does not allow you to use your Outlooks contacts. Our goal is to use this software capture time. I am told by Lexis tech support that time capture is not a key feature - and I believe them. It was typical bait and switch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep looking

We are looking for basic time capture - so far no benefits.

User in Law Practice

"Organized but bulky, complicated and not user friendly"

What do you like best?

I work in a law office. The case listings and tabs are easy to use. Find a document that you have knowledge of, say a draft of a document, is very simple. It is easy to share the documents if you know how. The calendar is also very easy to customize to work for the whole firm, but not for the individual.

What do you dislike?

Is there enough room here for me to cover it all? First, the search function doesn't work correctly. There are bugs that the software logs me off for no reason. If someone doesn't understand law offices and how they work, the face of the software is not user friendly. Saving documents is a hassle - lately, you have to watch your character count or then search through the actual server where the program is in order to open the document. The program has also started to create new files recently, just using the client code number instead of the case name. People who use the older versions of Outlook, for instance 2010, have a difficult time figuring how to attach documents to emails. I have found that Outlook 2016 is smart enough to have figured out how to quickly attach documents, so long as I have opened it recently. The admin has to approve each save that is done in program, so our timing clocks are always wrong.

We are solving a paper problem. Law offices use alot of paper. Storage is limited. We have benefited greatly from being able to pull up an electronic version of a document (when we can find it) instead of lugging around 3 accordian style folders of documents. It is also beneficial when the clients prefer to communicate by email rather than stop in the office. It expedites our process for the review of documents by the clients.

Time Matters® review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Works well most of the time but has a few glitches when merging and saving"

What do you like best?

That it keeps everything together in one place for easier tracking

What do you dislike?

That sometimes if you attach a document, it shows attached but then when you go back to find the document, it's not attached anymore and has to be reattached. Also has glitches when merging information onto a case from the Contacts tab and places said information on the wrong tabs creating confusion for new users. Cannot attach emails properly to the files for future reference.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great software as long as you can get around and tolerate the glitches.

Easier tracking of communications with clients. We've benefited from the fact that anyone in the office and with access to the system, can see conversations that others have had with a client thus avoiding the usual "oh, no one calls me" or "I haven't spoken to anyone in months" routine sometimes people try to pull.

Time Matters® review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

"There are better alternatives if you are just starting out with a practice management system"

What do you like best?

The program is highly customizable. It allows full integration of every aspect of your client's case or matter in one program. The document management is very robust and will work without the need for an additional program (such as WorldDox) if you are a solo or small sized law firm. I loved the Time Entry Advisor they added; it helps you capture things you forgot to bill. That's an example of innovation from several years ago. Wish each new upgrade would have something like that.

What do you dislike?

The company has lost its edge when it comes to innovation. There's a lot it could do to improve the product but it seems like innovation is not being dirven by the user; instead, it is being driven by IT folks who don't understand the practice of law. Don't get me wrong, it's a great program. But its competitors have caught up with it and are surpassing it.

The fact that it is highly customizable also makes it difficult to learn all of the many features it has.

The recent change in the calendar was a horrible "innovation." While I understand the need to update the back end of the calendar, giving me a "work week" view that displays portions of the work week that are already completed is useless. Far more helpful would be the old, three day view (today, tomorrow, the next day) that is lost with this "innovation."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out ActionStep. It is cloud based, but very similar to Time Matters and seems to be more nimble/innovative.

Time Matters offers me complete integration of my client's cases in one program. I have email, documents, events, billing, etc. all at my fingertips.

Time Matters® review by <span>Jordan M.</span>
Jordan M.

"Complicated and clunky, but gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Is very versatile in keeping track of cases and everything done on cases. Has a myriad of methods of scheduling hearings and keeping track of each thing due in a case.

What do you dislike?

Is clunky. Slow to load. Takes a while to open tabs. Just to make a note can take 30 seconds for the note tab to open. Crashes every now and then. Needs a visual overhaul. Needs more integration with other software such as gmail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it fits your needs before going all in.

Scheduling cases assignments due and delegating tasks to attorneys and paralegals.

Time Matters® review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"LexisNexis"

What do you like best?

LexisNexis is very user-friendly and easy for people to use, especially if you are not tech savy. It is a convenient way to manage your law practice.

What do you dislike?

Time Matters can handle billing, but cannot handle accounting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At my new law firm, we use Abacus Law/ Abacus Private Cloud and we have many issues. We are looking into a different platform for our office and I have suggested LexisNexis because of how reliable and easy it is to use. My previous firm where I used LexisNexis, Semmes, Bowen, & Semmes, was a Workers' Comp/ Litigation firm.

Time Matters provides an efficient way to track case information and schedule of events.

Time Matters® review by <span>Dena Y.</span>
Dena Y.

"love TM"

What do you like best?

easy to use, search, enter info, etc. There are great features where you can run reports of certain types of clients, date of intake, or whatever criteria you chose. Very helpful in reviewing case load, type, referral source.

What do you dislike?

I still have some trouble learning how to link emails, documents. Otherwise, I think this is a very good system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

love this product.

managing thousands of clients, contact info, referring attorney info, etc.

Time Matters® review by <span>Evan H F.</span>
Evan H F.

"Long Term Time Matters User"

What do you like best?

Very robust. Can handle everything a small business needs. Have been using it for over 15 years.

What do you dislike?

It crashes too often, probably because we have a very large database .

Recommendations to others considering the product

For small firms just starting out, I would recommend considering other products that are cloud-based and integrate with outlook more tightly then Time Matters does.

We's timing is for every aspect of our firm. Calendar, notes, matters, contacts.

Time Matters® review by <span>Dylan H.</span>
Dylan H.

"Sleek, intuitive time-keeping program"

What do you like best?

Time Matters does a wonderful job of helping you organize complex information and distribute it in a user-friendly manner. The user interface is intuitive and the support is top notch.

What do you dislike?

As with any time-keeping program, it could use some additional features to improve the ability to customize the program to fit changing needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Time Matters as the go-to time-tracking software.

Tracking billable hours for legal projects

Time Matters® review by <span>Melinda N.</span>
Melinda N.

"Perfect for the small or large firm"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and visually it is clean and appealing. There is a small learning curve and it produces great results and is easy to customize

What do you dislike?

It is not supported for Mac computers so it is not good from some business who are Mac based

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is not supported on Mac computers

It was used for firm billing and tracking matters

User in Law Practice

"Customizable time and client management for medium sized law firms"

What do you like best?

- it is quite easy to use (if customized properly)

- you can use shortcuts for entering billing items. For example you can type RR instead of "Received and Reviewed," or you can type just the initials for a staff member and the billing entry shows the actual name.

- it allowed various departments (discovery, scheduling, collections) to enter notes and have access to each file.

What do you dislike?

- it is not easy to use for litigation practice, you don't have an option to see al the filings "at a glance."

- the system I used was not integrated the the phone system and email for billing purposes, so the user was required to enter each phone call manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very customizable system so make sure you have a staff member knowledgeable that would customize the system to your needs.

It works good for various types of law, it is widely used so your staff may be familiar with it from their previous firm.

It may not be the best choice for a firm that practices only litigation.

It allows staff members to enter data, scan documents, review billing, etc. This saves attorney time and improves the use of the software; I would not recommend this product for a sole practitioner.

Time matters helps with client management, document management, time management and billing management. It integrates with QuickBooks and allows various departments have access to the status of each file.

Time Matters® review by <span>Jorge S.</span>
Jorge S.

"This is the solution for organization in any law firm!"

What do you like best?

Very helpful in organizing all of our law office with tons of cases to deal with

What do you dislike?

Nothing really to dislike, from time to time there are some glitches and the software will sign me out but besides that nothing else

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it out, its worth your time without a doubt. Compared to other programs it really does standout with its features

Resolving cases much faster with this tool organizing everything. Very helpful in that sense

Time Matters® review by <span>Melanie N. A.</span>
Melanie N. A.

"Perfect for case management"

What do you like best?

I like that you can keep case notes, information, and billing all in the same place.

What do you dislike?

I think to make it better a client should be able to upload documents to keep everything in one place, but short of that its great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is better than Clio in my opinion. The schedule chains can handle more matters than Clio does.

Case Management, Billing

"Difficult to use"

What do you like best?

Once you get used to the program, it's not that difficult to figure out.

What do you dislike?

The program is extremely slow at times. It is not user friendly. Searching for documents within a case is extremely difficult to do.

Time matters provides one platform where everyone at the firm can go to search for and review documents.

Time Matters® review by <span>Rosa H.</span>
Rosa H.

"All in one Case Management Software"

What do you like best?

Everything connects together. Customization. One stop for most of your case management needs.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve. Not user friendly for those that are not comfortable with database software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the time to set everything up from scratch that would make the use of the software easy from the get go. We imported several different databases that we are currently still cleaning up after 10 years using the software. Start from scratch and keep your database clean from the beginning.

Can basically make a virtual file of every file you create.

Time Matters® review by <span>Francine L.</span>
Francine L.

"It's Okay ..."

What do you like best?

It's been around a long time, a lot of kinks have been worked out, but it's clunky and not intuitive.

What do you dislike?

It's clunky and not intuitive. You need someone who knows how to code it to make changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a newer product that is more intuitive.

It ran practice management for our time.

User in Legal Services

"Wish I could use more of the software"

What do you like best?

I can keep up with client information and create matter numbers for our Sage TimeSlips. Easy to figure out on my own.

What do you dislike?

I know that this program can do more, I just know it. However, I have no clue on how to use this other than to generate a new client matter number for our records. I want to be able to use this as a billing system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If this is just for keeping contact info - this is right for you.

I'm not solving anything other than just keeping up with contacts and performing client conflict checks.

Time Matters® review by Administrator in Legal Services
Administrator in Legal Services

"There are some great features about Time Matters, however, you must have a lot of time to develop."

What do you like best?

I love that I can run any report I need.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could have multiple relationship codes. I also love that it is customizable but the amount of time that it takes is frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Time Matters is a great database tool but be sure to provide lots of training to staff that will be using it and be sure to put limitations on data input so that you do not compromise the integrity of your data.

We have found that it is easier to streamline our data and limit input options. There are benefits to being able to hold so much information related to our clients and matters.

Time Matters® review by <span>Melissa G.</span>
Melissa G.

"LexisNexis Time Matters"

What do you like best?

The LexisNexis Time Matters program is easy to use

What do you dislike?

At this time I cannot think of anything that I dislike about the product

Billing is being completed in a timely manner

User in Legal Services

"I would recommend not buying this program"

What do you like best?

Nothing impresses me about this program that would cause me to buy it.

What do you dislike?

Software is a combination of cumbersome with very limited utility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't buy this program.

Problems as above, no real benefit.

Time Matters® review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Basic case management software"

What do you like best?

Related views of supporting details such as phone call logs, emails, documents, etc. searching and filters were exceeding expectations.

What do you dislike?

Size of font and display of tabs. The gray and Excel look of the lists can be confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider long term agreements and migration to future programs.

Case and practice management. We use it to communicate within our office phone messages.

Time Matters® review by User in Financial Services

"LexisNexis Time Matters"

What do you like best?

I like being able to make notes and comments on certain cases.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the speed, it takes too long to get into cases. It needs more options for notes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it!

I am working as a case manager on personal injury cases. I like the benefits including case management and accessibility.

Time Matters® review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Not intuitive but simple enough"

What do you like best?

You can get the hang of it fairly quickly.

What do you dislike?

The operation of it is not intuitive and requires a lot of trial and error. It’s like the program was made twenty years ago and never changed.

Easy to keep track of time

User in Law Practice

"Great software for law office "

What do you like best?

How we were able to integrate everything into one software for practice management.

What do you dislike?

Certain glitches that occurred with updates and it’s communication with quick books.

Practice management, legal billing

Learning about Time Matters®?

* We monitor all Time Matters® reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.