TinyMCE

TinyMCE is a platform independent web-based JavaScript HTML WYSIWYG editor control released as open source under LGPL.

Work for TinyMCE?

Learning about TinyMCE?

TinyMCE Reviews

Ask TinyMCE a Question
Showing 12 TinyMCE reviews
TinyMCE review by <span>Taylor M.</span>
Taylor M.

"Extendable, largely user-friendly WYSIWYG editor for the web"

What do you like best?

TinyMCE has a robust feature set but doesn't sacrifice user-friendliness. It is a software that I use regularly and am frequently training users on, and many do not have an IT background. But with the magic phrase, "It works a lot like your favorite word processor," I have them 90% of the way there.

What do you dislike?

As with any WYSIWYG editor, it is not always clear how your line breaks and content divisions will be handled behind the scenes. For those with HTML familiarity these nuances can be quickly cleared up, but it is a constant source of headaches for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into the flexibility of enabling and disabling certain features.

A WYSIWYG editor for web content managers, that can be expanded (or reduced) programmatically as desired. I have found that taking a more intentional approach to the enabled feature set (hiding certain options depending on use cases) moves this from good to great.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TinyMCE
TinyMCE review by <span>Peter W.</span>
Peter W.

"Nice and simple text editor"

What do you like best?

TinyMCE is very easy to use, the icons used on the user interface explain to even our most computer ill-literate users what they do.

The ability to edit HTML alongside the text editor is extremely useful, allowing users to create content to their exact specifications.

What do you dislike?

It can be frustrating when trying to accomplish more complicated formatting tasks using the text editor alone, and not touching the HTML editor. The alignment (left, centre and right) options are rather confusing and don't always work as intended, requiring HTML edits to be made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TinyMCE has its ups and downs, but as a text editor I would say it sits somewhere in the middle.

Its easy to use if your doing something simple, but quite a pain if your trying to pull off some fancy formatting.

So for simple text editing purposes, this is great. For more complex writing I would recommend something a bit more in-depth.

All users of our CMS (content management system) have the ability to easily format and style their content, without the need to learn and use HTML. Meaning our training times are greatly reduced, the quality of our content published on the web is of a higher standard, and we have a better user experience for our content contributors using the system.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

TinyMCE review by <span>Stefan G.</span>
Stefan G.

"One of the best editors for the professional use"

What do you like best?

The editor is actively maintained and pretty solid in comparison to it's competitors. In general you get it for free, but you can buy support and very enhanced features from the developers. For a lot of issues like e.g. bootstrap support, you can find free and commercial plugins in the wild. Also writing own plugins is very easy, because of the simple but feature rich plugin API.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the editor has editing issues with special markup, but often the problem is more a general issue of such editors. Furthermore the default code view is not formatted and highlighted that makes it's complicated to edit the code. You can find plugins in the wild that fix such issues.

We are using the tinymce editor as the editor of choice for the beloved TYPO3 Enterprise Content Management System. Unfortunately TYPO3 still uses a very "own" and buggy editor that doesn't fits into our quality rules. So we realized an alternative editor implementation based on tinymce that still uses the link and image selection possibilities of TYPO3. Currently it has around 1000 users with a positive trend. You can find the extension in the TYPO3 extension repository.

TinyMCE review by <span>Gonzalo R.</span>
Gonzalo R.

"Probably the best WYSIWYG editor for the web"

What do you like best?

TinyMCE was the first WYIWYG editor I knew some years back when I was taking my first steps into PHP and web development.

The documentation was really good and I remember it was really easy to setup and to configure the functionality that I wanted to offer to my final users.

So in summary, it was a great tool, easy to setup and powerful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all, nowadays there are a lot of alternatives to TinyMCE, but in the end they are all similar.

Providing the users the ability to format the text entry is great. Specially for news or dynamic web content where we need to have the ability to make some formatting or adding some special content like images or tables.

TinyMCE review by G2 Crowd User in Design
G2 Crowd User in Design

"A pretty solid WYSIWYG."

What do you like best?

It's a very easy WYSIWYG to implement, even when it comes to adding custom buttons.

What do you dislike?

TinyMCE has stepped up their game and the only thing I really dislike is how clunky the codebase feels.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only way to determine if TinyMCE will work for you is to try it out, along with the competitors (CKEditor, Quill, Redactor).

Content creation for a large publisher. We found that it provides a pretty solid interface for our editors to input HTML, as well as allowing us to implement our own custom buttons in a pretty easy fashion.

TinyMCE review by G2 Crowd User in Hospital & Health Care
G2 Crowd User in Hospital & Health Care

"TinyMCE is awesome"

What do you like best?

TinyMCE is easy for endusers to pick up and understand, as well as easy for our developers to integrate into our web based tools. It is lightweight, and powerful.

What do you dislike?

TinyMCE requires many different fees to acquire some features that are really kind of required. In essence, the pricing model could be simpler.

We use TinyMCE to power internal tools requiring rich content editing from a myriad of devices. We have saved countless hours of development on our own alternative, and instead just integrate TinyMCE

TinyMCE review by <span>Pradeep R.</span>
Pradeep R.

"Great enhancement for WordPress users"

What do you like best?

Lot of useful features which are more useful for WordPress users.

Adds as an enhancement for default layout.

What do you dislike?

Can be made a lot simple to use and install for novice users.

I'm a blogger actually. It makes my blogging/workflow a lot easier

TinyMCE review by <span>Doan H.</span>
Doan H.

"Review TinyMCE"

What do you like best?

It's one of the best editors I know. It's very simple to use, beautiful UI

What do you dislike?

I think I don't have any problem to dislike with TinyMCE

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I will

We want to change the website content more quickly without having to know HTML so I have decided to use TinyMCE editor

TinyMCE review by <span>Andrey K.</span>
Andrey K.

"Works fine but not as flexible as one can need"

What do you like best?

Stable expirience. Modern design. Localization support.

What do you dislike?

Too many separate files in my repo. It was hard to run this product under require.js

WYSIWYG editor is required for my OpenSource CRM.

TinyMCE review by <span>Erdenezul B.</span>
Erdenezul B.

"TinyMce review"

What do you like best?

TinyMCE is very useful HTML editor. The most useful feature was ajax image upload

What do you dislike?

I do not remember a feature that I dislike

Website content management.

TinyMCE review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Best wysiwyg editor period."

What do you like best?

I tried multiple wysiwyg editors, but TinyMCE is lightyears ahead of competition.

What do you dislike?

Can have a bit of a steep learning curve, but this means there’s lots of options you can tweak to truly make it your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth the learning curve

Providing clients with a robust WYSIWYG

TinyMCE review by G2 Crowd User in Photography
G2 Crowd User in Photography

"Good basic editor"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and to teach end users how to use in their daily duties

What do you dislike?

Stray HTML can be accidentally posed by users not using the paste from word feature.

Updating websites and content is a text editor style system. It allows users familiar with word to use the system with minimal training.

Learn more about TinyMCE

TinyMCE Downloads

Learning about TinyMCE?

* We monitor all TinyMCE reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.