Toad

Toad

Toad solutions are desktop tools that give DBAs, developers and analysts a proactive, automated approach to developing and managing databases, so organizations can spend more time on strategic initiatives and less time on mundane, repetitive tasks.

Work for Toad?

Learning about Toad?

Toad Reviews

Ask Toad a Question
Showing 197 Toad reviews
Toad review by <span>Divya M.</span>
Divya M.

"Toad Data Point Analytics"

What do you like best?

We are using this Toad data point 3.6.1 from the year of 2013 and this is very well used for the analytical research for our recovery applications.

Some of the key features which intends to use are:

1. Import/Export function where we can able to export the data in any of the format like .csv, xlsx, .txt etc., accordingly the number of rows required.

2. Database comparison wizard - Used to compare the version of components between databases in one stretch rather than manually downloading and doing the comparison. This saves developer time for comparison using the wizard.

3. Transform function and cleansing the data.

4. Database diagram - Easily able to generate the database diagram which will shows the relationship between objects.

5. Toad automation scripts and formatting SQL scripts for developer.

What do you dislike?

Dislikes are some of the few:

1. License Key is costly since we have to pay rather than open-ended tool.

2. Some of the SQL commands are still not recognized by Toad like (NOSQL), PIVOT etc.,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good one and dont miss it shortky where we are havig several capablities for technical people. Used by business also.

Currently, TOAD software is used between business partners and UAT testers for recovery application testing. Basically, we are having 4000GB of data stored in Sybase, where we are loading N number of input files from source systems. In order to test the data and taking test data from Database (ATDD) we are using TOAD software for testing and analytical capabilities.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Toad
Toad review by <span>Karthik S.</span>
Karthik S.

"Toad Data Point - Analytics for Database"

What do you like best?

I am using this TOAD software from the year of 2008 and particularly toad data point for the US Healthcare Projects. Most of the features are very Good one and below are the highlighted one:

1. Cross-connected with Any databases like SQL Server, Sybase, Oracle and DB2 for Mainframe.

2. Export wizard functionality is easier in order to transport the data to .txt, csv, xml & other types quickly.

3. Easier to export the log values during the query exeecution in parallel. Particularly it will save the .txt format for all values generated during query running which is helpful for the developer. This functionality is called "Execution Trace"

4. Ability to open multiple cross databases and saved in the connection editor. This will be helpful for the developer during analytics execution.

5. Ability to save FTP connection for exporting the file directly from FTP or other protocol for transferring data files.

6. Toad can be configured according to the developer need for cross databases.

7. Show estimate plan is another option for showing the query execution plan in details which can be exported quickly for analyzing the tables.

8. Ease of usability.

What do you dislike?

1. Some of the functions are not recognized in TOAD. Best examples are (NOLOCK) function. Due to this, we need to edit SQL queries manually before executions.

2. Since TOAD is used for cross-linked databases, we will not able to see partition function execution and presence of data.

3. Reporting will not be exact since this is not owned by database production. An example is SSRS reports run by Microsoft.

4. TOAD will not be used by DBA's and this is only an analytical tool for data's to research with.

5. One or another this is not a free tool and need to procure the licenses. So company's are forcing free tool like SQL developer for any items on analytics :).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good one and easy to use. Lot of features and pretty sure good one during your review.

We have used TOAD for data analytics in Subrogation/Recovery sector of Healthcare. This TOAD product is used to research the subrogation claim Information to analyze the data and dealing with new subrogation opportunities.For example to create a new rule for some of the states to improve subrogation opportunities and which in turns increase the recovery dollar amount. As well this tool is used by all Business team members (IT Quality Analyst and Fin Ops Analyst for their testing) and it is very easy to use for them to export/import data information on the same.

What Non-Native Database Management Systems solution do you use?

Toad review by <span>Kimberly B.</span>
Kimberly B.

"TOAD Queries"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of Toad is the consistency in data output formatting, and how it can be easily input into other software. The biggest advantage in our department is receiving code from Actuary, that we can then translate into an easily readable excel spreadsheet.

What do you dislike?

The one downfall to many Toad Queries is having to execute each line of code separately, which is tedious and takes a while. Additionally, triggers are not held in the database in a compiled (PL/SQL pcode) form, which forces us to recompile a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My only advice to others considering Toad is that there may be more simple or more updated platforms that perform the same functions. If you do choose to purchase Toad, make sure you are familiar with code, queries, and that it is compatible with your operating system. Other than that, I am not aware of any other downfalls or any other competitive products that are superior to Toad.

Toad solves many business needs, but in particular, it is our only way to convert code into claims data for our department. In addition, it minimizes both time and effort that we must put into managing and maintaining databases. It also allows us to stay consistent with repetitive processes. To summarize, its most significant benefits include: consistency, time management, agility, as well as pinpointing database issues.

Toad review by <span>Cesar G.</span>
Cesar G.

"Tool to manage the Oracle database and more drivers"

What do you like best?

Desarrollo simplificado de la base de datos, Diseña, crea, edita, depura y administra proyectos en Toad Data Modeler y el Navegador de bases de datos, Editor de SQL, Depurador y Jefe de proyectos integrados.

Garantía de calidad del código,colabora con los miembros del equipo y estandarisa los formatos de códigos mientras conserva la integridad de códigos y evita la sobrescritura con codificación de equipos incluido y control de versión.

Prueba automatizada del código,automatiza la creación y ejecución de las pruebas funcionales de código para garantizar la calidad de la aplicación y permitir una entrega más rápida del código de calidad con Code Tester.

Análisis automatizado del código,automatiza las revisiones de código con las mejores prácticas de la industria y los conjuntos de reglas predefinidos o personalizables en categorías tales como legibilidad, exactitud, estructura de programa, convenciones de nomenclatura y capacidad de mantenimiento, con Análisis de código.

Optimización automatizada del rendimiento,Identifica los cuellos de botella de la base de datos con el diagnóstico de base de datos Spotlight y resuelva los problemas rápidamente o valide SQL, PL/SQL y los índices para asegurar un alto rendimiento a través de SQL Optimizer, el único conjunto de herramientas automatizado para sintonizaciones SQL.

What do you dislike?

good performance in the creation of Query of sql

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this tool for having the following good performance in the creation of Query of sql,

speed of queries to the database

speed of queries to the database

Toad review by <span>Pablo L.</span>
Pablo L.

"Great Tool to work DB"

What do you like best?

What i think is the best in this software is that , has a complete enviorment to work with the data base , don't have to work with other tools , this is the form yo have to work , there yo can see from a field of a table to the database relation , es really complete. Back up the data bases is pretty easy , an restore it also as a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

Dispite how works with databases is not so friendly with the operating system, in windows runs perfect but in linux base distros not so great. Other aspect is that you have to run windows base computers with at least windows 7 and i3 processor , so needs much power to install. Other point of dislike is that if you update yoor machine , like a new processor or the mother board the license is lost and have to re write it , is not that is a lot of work but still is not right thing to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations about this tool is that , this can be the solution for get together you server team and developmente team , the best way to admin and implement your databases in your own way.

manage and work with all my databases with one tool , no need to use any other software , the the development team can work with the admin team together .

Toad review by <span>Whitney D.</span>
Whitney D.

"Toad Data Point is an Excellent Self-Service Data Preparation Tool"

What do you like best?

Toad allows me to connect to several different sources, including Excel files, to analyze data and create reports in one spot using intuitive, drag and drop tools. I no longer need to ask someone from IT to write an SQL query or try to limit myself to what I can fit into Excel to be able generate valuable insights and reports to share with leadership.

What do you dislike?

Some of the data sources I connect to are very primitive and still use pipe delimited flat files. I have figured out a way to connect to these but it was very difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toad Data Point is the perfect tool for users needing to work with and analyze data within databases but don't have the expertise or necessity to build or maintain the databases. If you can use Excel or Access, you can use Toad.

I work with healthcare data, to get an accurate picture of how our business is performing I need to mine many data sources in varying formats. Toad Data Point lets me do that quickly and easily. I can save queries for relevant reports and rerun them with a single click when any source is updated.

Toad review by <span>Jonathan H.</span>
Jonathan H.

"TOAD - the best of both worlds"

What do you like best?

I like all the shortcuts that TOAD has built into the application. I can get to things fast, I can see DB structure quickly, even if new things are being added while I'm in a currently attached session. I can create lists by drag and drop and have the best of both worlds. Command line and GUI. I love the speed and power that TOAD had built into the contextual right-click.

What do you dislike?

I wish It were easier to convert Oracle to SQL Server, SQL scripting and vise versa. I move frequently between the two and tire of rewriting my scripts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I love TOAD and find its use and features an irreplaceable part of my day to day work. I would spend significantly more time doing the things that TOAD does for me in seconds.

My biggest need and time saver is to be able to have TOAD automatically create a script for me that recreates a table with all it's indexes and constraints.

Toad review by <span>Rob W.</span>
Rob W.

"The Tool for Oracle"

What do you like best?

Toad is really the best interface for accessing Oracle that I've used. Aside from being a comprehensive tool, it gives you options for customization and workflow, that you can build up everything you'd need to complete your data-driven on a day to day basis. It's fast, easy to learn, and it provides a no-nonsense way to do business with their different flavors of Toad.

What do you dislike?

I've had some preferences lost in the course of an upgrade. We have a very specific network and operating system environment with roaming profiles, so that could simply be a result that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a few different options out there, but Toad is the gold standard for an Oracle interface.

My team conducts data analysis and support with an enterprise class ERP. Aside from using it as a direct interface to our Oracle tables, we also use it to write, test, and run ad hoc scripts for data maintenance.

Toad review by <span>Tony P.</span>
Tony P.

"Toad, Long Time User"

What do you like best?

I have used Toad since 1995.....more than 20 years. I've watched the basic design of this product move from solely Oracle, to MySQL, and DB2 too. It is a tool that now delivers specific answers to questions like schemas and tablespaces, to the old friendly editor window, where I've spent at least 10 of those years coding. It's definitely the best independent DBA tools out there; easy to use, powerful, and you've got the editor, that's been my home for a long time.

What do you dislike?

Understands single instance really well. Not always the clustered environments. Haven't tested out the SQL Server tool, as SQL Mgmt Studio really gives it competition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've got more than one environment, consider the SPOTLIGHT tool. This allows you to dig in to the server as well as the database and examine the potential real cause of the issue.

Built, debugged, examined, wrote a ton PL/SQL code with Toad, including triggers, packages, procedures, functions, sequences, etc, etc, etc. Hands-on, simple interaction with schemas and objects.

Toad review by <span>Mark F.</span>
Mark F.

"Makes my job easier..."

What do you like best?

- GUI interface

- Easily export datasets

- Ability to assign a color to a database session

- Schema Browser's tab view of everything in the schema

- Ability to pin or collapse SQL Recall

What do you dislike?

I really cannot say there's anything that I particularly dislike about Toad. I've been using it for about 10 years, and cringe when I have to use SQL Worksheet or SQL+.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have to export datasets from ad hoc queries, try using Toad's export dataset button. Click the button, pick the format you want it exported in, define the output location, and that's it.

Validating records. Toad allows me to export the datasets from queries to an Excel spreadsheet that I then can merge and have a side by side comparison for data validation.

Toad review by <span>Jason C. M.</span>
Jason C. M.

"Fast, powerful analysis and development tool!"

What do you like best?

I like how quickly I can perform data analysis. Exporting data from queries is so much cleaner that other SQL tools.

Many times there are formatting issues when generating output into a spreadsheet or .csv file. I've never had any problems with Toad.

I have seen demonstrations of how you can create SQL automation and it looks pretty sweet. I haven't had the change to try it in Toad but next time I will. The demos available online and the videos are very thorough. Anything that you need to do is all on the web.

What do you dislike?

The diagram tool is clunky, not very useful. There is not enough room in the diagram space to make a diagram of more than a few table. Also, there is only space to the right of the workspace.

The tutorial videos are nice but I'm more of a reading steps learner. It seems harder to find written instructions than videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend considering Toad especially if you are developing or performing analysis across various database platforms.

I use it to perform data analysis and SQL queries across multiple schemas.

The major benefit is the responsive interface and quick output. Viewing meta data and generating output can be performed in just a few clicks.

The build feature allows you to create SQL queries by dragging and dropping table and clicking on and off columns. All you have to do is add filters, some of which are also just a click away.

Toad review by <span>Diego J.</span>
Diego J.

"Great Oracle Client"

What do you like best?

Toad is very fast compared to the other solutions in the market. It is not limited to simple SQL, it can be used to threat PL/SQL issues, analyze the data base structures and the tables relationships.

There is another solutions in the market, but the Toad really deserve a chance, moreover you could adopt other solutions of the company if it fits you.

The Toad is also very customizable, you chance the result table color schema and also some values, e.g NULL value representation. I recommend it to turn your analyzes more easy, due to the amount of data that could be shown.

What do you dislike?

You need to have a background to use it, because it depends on configuration. The interface is a little bit too much, with a lot of information in the beginning. In my case I hide the most of the windows, because I do not use them. Beyond that in the option you need to add some customization for the results be more precisely, e.g. NULL representation. I also like to change the colors to turn the SQL results more readable, e.g. when the table line colors alternate between colors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the community solution first, after that the trial version. If it worth for you buy it.

Database issues, e.g. updating, deleting, creating, analysis, and also upgrading.

Toad review by <span>Matt P.</span>
Matt P.

"Toad is great for Oracle"

What do you like best?

When working with Oracle databases, this is definitely the best solution. It provides a much more usable and stable environment to manage databases.

What do you dislike?

The layout isn't the most intuitive compared to other database management programs such as SSMS or MySQL Workbench. There are alot of features and options available that can make the interface look fairly cluttered, but this can be customized. And with as many features as are offered with this product, this is almost to be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using Toad for managing Oracle databases if you manage a large number of them. Toad also has products for other Database Management systems but I have not used these. I feel that the solutions offered with other platforms such as MSSQL provide enough functionality as they are. Whereas SQL Developer for Oracle has also seemed lacking in my opinion.

It provides an easier and more dependable method to manage the Oracle databases. It is much simpler to use than the SQL Developer application provided through Oracle.

Toad review by <span>Emil R.</span>
Emil R.

"Toad is the best query building tool"

What do you like best?

-can handle many many records

-can export in different formats

-great editor

-ease of use

-replaces our archaic query building program

What do you dislike?

-didnt figure out how to edit data within query. archaic program (with obvious security flaws) allows for direct editing in simple queries and committing.

-you still need to be knowledgeable in PL/SQL language. although there is a community, i would like a one stop shop for PL/SQL theory in all levels, maybe more intermediate, like running triggers and loops.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Customized training on software based on needs.

Pulling data for various reasons from a robust database for a short timeline.

The ability to pull data and export fast has saved us literally weeks of worktime.

Toad review by <span>Vladimir L.</span>
Vladimir L.

"Mission critical tool for power users and database administrators alike"

What do you like best?

Toad is well integrated and complete. It provides tools for database management and development that all of our users include in their day to day mission critical operations.

What do you dislike?

Toad has a steeper learning curve than other software applications. You will need to spend some time learning all of its tools. It might seem overwhelming for first time users. This is not necessarily a disadvantage, because t is a professional tool for database management and development and not a generalist consumer product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Toad for all of your database management and development needs. It is a very weel integrated and complete solution. It has great support from the company and the community of users.

We use Toad for daily deep database management for routine tasks and performance fixes, database development and deployment into production through code lifecycle, packages, triggers, and procedures debugging for malfunctioning or substandards applications, user security management, database migration to new servers, among others. Toad has been the helping expert in solving query performance issues. It has also help our power user community gain access to their mission critical data when they needed it to make important decisions and create business centered reports.

Toad review by <span>Ek S.</span>
Ek S.

"Increase Productivity and Efficiency with Toad"

What do you like best?

I simply love the Toad database management tools for MSSQL and Oracle. They made my tasks faster, easier and as a result, increase in efficiency and productivity! I came from SSMS and was reluctant to switch until my boss asked me to give Toad a try. I didn't look back.

What do you dislike?

The GUI interface could be better design and the application should not hog a lot of system resources especially on older machines. Currently I'm running Toad on my Windows Vista (still using it...) and I find it a bit laggy although overall, it is still performing as expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Toad a try and you won't regret it! The tools are easy to use and powerful compare to SSMS. Even my developers loved using them as it increased their development productivity and quality!

I've been using Toad to manage Oracle and MSSQL databases. These tools allow me to execute my daily tasks of database administration in an fast and efficient way to meet my users' requirements.

Toad review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"18-Year TOAD User"

What do you like best?

I spend the VAST majority of my time in the Schema Browser and SQL Editor windows. I haven't tried *all* of them, but I haven't found a competing product that can come close! The SQL Editor does what you'd hope it would do in most every case.

What do you dislike?

TOAD's price is out of the reach of smaller businesses users. I suggest selling a "basic edition" of TOAD for a reduced price ($250?). I'm willing to bet the number of additional licenses they would sell would be more than enough to justify a lower price point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can afford it, buy it. You won't regret it.

FYI: I've tried TOAD for SQL Server...still pretty good, but TOAD for Oracle is gold.

Business problems? We use it for essentially all interactions with the database other than things that require SQL*Plus on the server running the instance(s). I don't use many of the administrative tools, and not very often at that.

Benefits? I estimate I can do the same thing in TOAD about 30% faster than in other products I've tried to use. (see my comments re: SQL Editor above)

Toad review by <span>Chris A.</span>
Chris A.

"Best Oracle Database Tool Ever"

What do you like best?

Back in the late 1990s, I went to an Oracle User's Group meeting. They passed around a floppy disk with a copy of TOAD. At that point it was a shareware product. I loved it from the beginning. It is easy and intuitive to use. The Editor has many formatting features including color-coding of KEY words, all of which can be customized. Code Snippets, Explain Plans, and other helps are all built into the product. The Schema Browser is helpful in reviewing objects in a Schema quickly as well as being able to view and/or manipulate data. Whether writing ad-hoc SQL statements, creating functions, or writing procedures, TOAD can do it all.

What do you dislike?

I really have no dislikes about the product as I have used it for many, many years. It has been a great journey seeing this product move from a shareware state to a full blown commercial product. My only issue has been the slowness of the Schema Browser on schemas with over 65,000 objects. This has been improved other the years. Since most schemas I am working with contain no where near that many objects, this is usually not an issue for me on a regular basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always encourage develpers to compare TOAD to Oracle's SQL Developer. I have utilized both, but still always come back to TOAD.

Database and web application development have been the primary uses. Speed of development and quick access to data have been the primary benefits realized.

Toad review by <span>Jeff P.</span>
Jeff P.

"Great Product for DBA-focused developers"

What do you like best?

The format / GUI is based on a tabular-format, making for a clean look and feel and once acquainted with their functions, ease in navigation. It also includes some functions (statement recall) that makes it quick and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Many of the functions delve into some database administrator functions which complicate learning for the newer staff that don't need and/or understand these elements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you appreciate the tabular format for navigation, then TOAD is a phenomenal product for database navigation and queries. SQL Navigator has many of the same functions with a menu-based navigation for those desiring that look / feel. However, TOAD seems to be developed more (same ownership) and thus has more frequent updates and quite frankly, more functions to make doing your job easier. Furthermore, with better database monitoring functions, it provides seasoned developers with better tools for better development.

For seasoned developers, this tool aides in quickly creating not only adhoc reports but also well structured and defined Views and data validation / update for business. It also includes some database elements to help monitor and troubleshoot database issues that occasionally come up without needing to track down a DBA.

Toad review by <span>Stefan G.</span>
Stefan G.

"High and low of an Oracle development tool"

What do you like best?

Many possibilities

Good insight into data and structures

Multiple application areas under one surface

Override several database schemas at the same time

Compare data structures and content

What do you dislike?

Many little mistakes

Sluggish when changing views

The source code analysis hinders development

No long-term stability

Memory leaks without end

After slower use slows down and then crashes regularly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Positive:

A very handy tool for the development and administration of DB applications.

Fast to use, easy to learn,

Many possibilities.

Negative:

Many small, annoying bugs, memory leaks

Some annoying helpers

Somewhat confusing

Partially lethargic

Development of database applications

Daily analysis of data

Search for errors in the applications

Toad review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services

"Absolute need for a business analyst"

What do you like best?

It is not difficult for a non developer to create queries and execute SQL to produce spreadsheets for users and for troubleshooting. Also it is more difficult to change data and perform mass updates than Access, making it a safer tool in the hands of analysts.

What do you dislike?

Unlike Access where tables can easily be linked to each other for queries, TOAD is more difficult to link tables together if you do not write SQL. Working in a large agency, it is difficult getting the new licenses repurchased each and every year. They should just charge more and not require relicensing. Each year when the license is about to expire, the department goes amok at the possibility of not getting the license renewed. They give temporary licenses but this is not secure for the analysts and developers who depend on TOAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Begin with a trial to make sure that it meets your expectations. Most of the Project leads in patient systems development request licenses for TOAD to be purchased as it is relied upon after all these years. It is also safer than Access as non-developers are not able to update data as easily, especially mass updates.

TOAD is used by both developers and analysts to troubleshoot incidents reported with the electronic medical record used by the New York State Office of Mental Health. Queries are run looking for bad data, possible defects in codes, and for individual requests for reports that are not provided ad hoc.

Toad review by <span>Sudip M.</span>
Sudip M.

"Toad for Oracle"

What do you like best?

One of the major benefits Toad offers is it reduces the effort and time you put into managing and maintaining Oracle databases.

You can easily resolve and pinpoint database issues.

Automation within Toad allows you to schedule routine and complex database tasks.

What do you dislike?

I feel the schema definitions for the tables could have been presented in a more user friendly way to help beginners get accustomed to the databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommended for db monitoring & maintenance.

We use Toad for Oracle to monitor database activity, create database jobs, PL/SQL development, SQL tuning, and for the creation and maintaining of functions,

procedures, packages, and views. We also use it to create new tables, sequences, and to alter existing tables.

Benefits - We use it in our day to day db monitoring and application/batch testing/updations.

Toad review by Administrator in Market Research
Administrator in Market Research

"For a Non-DBA, Toad Data Point Professional is the best tool"

What do you like best?

Cross platform use, and in the Pro version able to access noSQL such as Cassandra.

Ease of use. Much prefer to use Toad for Data Point Pro over Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

What do you dislike?

Not much really. It isn't cheap and I have to create a good argument to my boss to get it over using the MS SQL Management Studio, which is free. What saves me is my time at the company, 17 years, and that I also work on Datastax Cassandra noSQL and it works better than dBeaver noSQL, which is also free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need cross platform and especially noSQL use, this is it. The free IDE's are fine but you get what you pay for, TOAD for Data Point Pro is just flat out easier and better than the free IDE's

Cross Platform, MSSQL, mySQL, AWS Aurora, Cassandra. We have data in all of the mentioned DB's, one tool to rule them all.

Toad review by <span>Ruben A.</span>
Ruben A.

"Excelente helper on pl/sql and maintain data base"

What do you like best?

is very easy to find everything do you need. Have a great tools like

- import/export data;

- schema compare;

- edit MViews.

- Identify bloking sessions;

- maintain dblinks is easy to see what you are using;

What do you dislike?

its not easy do me to identify grafics and metrics.

The visual aspect is very old i think they should do something about it in a short term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think TOAD should improve in the way off metrics and performance, if already have it in Carglass Spain and Portugal we don't know how to use it in fack

in our company we have 2 schemas and we need allot of times to migrate data and compare schemas, migrate pl/sql procedures and in that point of veiw TOAD is a very good tool.

Toad review by <span>Stjepan K.</span>
Stjepan K.

"Thoughts of user frequently investigating database source code"

What do you like best?

I see easily all aspects of database I am connecetd to and compare it easy to others

What do you dislike?

I like to compact source code and I liked more default formatting present in Toad 8 and 9. Separate lines in column names and values clauses are not allways the best, you see nothing if table has 100 columns.

Formatter is important feature and its adjusting is a nightmare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toad is excellent tool covering practically all aspects of database work, expecially if you are not budget bound.

I am used to Toad for years now and have never seriously considered other tools, perhaps regretably.

I am creating new database structures, synchronise structures, and develop and maintain large packages. Toad is very good at it, just as with database data export and manipulation

Toad review by <span>Gary P.</span>
Gary P.

"Toad makes Databases easier"

What do you like best?

I love the code formatting and how it shows me when I've made an error. I like how easy it is to how others how to write sql with toad.

What do you dislike?

When I do make an error in my code - there are times that it pops up a help screen. I would prefer that it would only pop that up if I requested it.

I wanted an easy way to allow some of the more advanced business users to connect to and query the database. Toad data point was an easy solution.

Toad review by Consultant in Insurance
Consultant in Insurance

"Toad for ORACLE Xpert Edition"

What do you like best?

Toad is a great tool which give a broader scope for the data guys..

getting session browser and schema browser with lot of information rather to do a SQL is a great time saving option and the output which can be exported to various formats is also a good scope..

What do you dislike?

I only dislike in this tool is that it hangs some times while running a log SQL which we have close the app and reopen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

have this tool only if your scope is more than select and inserts

data masking

compare objects

simple selelct and paste option into the excel files

data validation options

session and schema browsers

and many more..

for ETL testers DATA VALIDATION compare data masking option on the fly are the problem solving things.

Toad review by <span>Peter K.</span>
Peter K.

"My Love for TOAD"

What do you like best?

Honestly, one of the best things for me is the Schema Browser which allows you to see all kinds of objects in a simple master/detail presentation. As well, the ability to see the actual data for tables & views is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Not much. Overall, I guess I wish TOAD for SQL Server had some of the same options as TOAD for Oracle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try before you buy. This is a well established product.

Allows me to do my job as DBA more efficiently.

Toad review by <span>Ignacio M.</span>
Ignacio M.

"best oracle db tool ever"

What do you like best?

toad offers you every possible functionality you will ever need handling oracle databases, it's just not comparable to any other.

All functionalities are easy to use, and are very handy, which is really helpful when handling multiple tasks at the same time.

The explain plan will come very handy.

Highly recommended.

What do you dislike?

the front end appearance is not the most modern one, so some may not like that, but I have to say that actually love how it looks

There are a few bugs that I have discovered in the last few years and even though some of them are not very easy to fix, I was able to find proper solutions to all of them online, provided either by users or by DELL support crew.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try, and you definitely won't regret. I have used some other tools, and so far I have found nothing even close to what TOAD has to offer.

Completely recommended for any user that handles one or multiple Oracle DBs.

I know there;s a version for SQL Server DBs but to be completely honest, I have not used it yet so I couldn't say, but I bet it is as good as the Oracle one, since the front end is the same, and the offered tools also are the same

I can handle all functionalities of all the oracle db's I work with, and from different roles, from a single place

Toad review by <span>Jake T.</span>
Jake T.

"The best (free) MySQL client/IDE"

What do you like best?

I tried a bunch of free clients for MySQL, looking for something that provided a tree-style sidebar of the database schema, autocompletion, syntax highlighting and code folding.

Toad was, by far, the best of the free options--there's not a ton that it won't do (and do very well).

The tree view makes it easy to see the structure of my database, etc, and editing/writing SQL is pretty straightforward.

What do you dislike?

My only real complaint with Toad is that it's slow to start up. In the grand scheme of things, that's pretty minor.

Toad makes it easy to push data in and out of our datawarehouse, knock out queries and do database management.

Toad review by <span>Ronald O.</span>
Ronald O.

"Toad and Oracle...A match made in Heaven"

What do you like best?

Writing programs and debuging PL/SQL code without TOAD is not an easy task...TOAD makes this a breeze...

What do you dislike?

There are little inconsistencies in the different object controls....clicking one object (Proc/Function/Package) will take you to the editor, where clicking on another object (trigger) takes you to a different config panel...

Recommendations to others considering the product

So much better than SQL*Developer...Once you use it, you will never go back to anything else.

Quick turn around on debugging user issues, ease of comparing schemas between different databases

Toad review by <span>Mario B.</span>
Mario B.

"Toad is not only food anymore!"

What do you like best?

That is connects fast to anything, can perform automated tasks and has a multitiude of tools; it's like a very well built swiss army knife.

What do you dislike?

The cancel option that seems to take as long as the original query sometimes to return to the editing window

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it; nothing I will tell you will convince you. Trying it is adopting it.

Anything from performing maintenance on interface and tables; extracting information for reports; investigative information gathering

Toad review by <span>Charles R.</span>
Charles R.

"Tool for all Oracle Management and Development Needs"

What do you like best?

Very Reliable. The Management Suite allows us to perform maintain can configuration functions. Very good SQL development platform.

What do you dislike?

Useful functions, especially new releases, aren't always visible and go unused.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have Oracle, Toad compares very well with competing products, and the price is excellent. If you have a multi-platform environment, Toad provides a common interface across the enterprise.

Oracle comes with virtually NO management tools and what they do supply is trash. Toad fills that gap at a Very Reasonable price. It has also allowed us to deal with one-of applications that use databases not common for the site, such a MySql. We could not support our ERP without a tool like Toad.

Toad review by User

"great easy to access tool"

What do you like best?

Toad for Oracle is the de facto Oracle developer and database administration software tool for SQL development and tasks. The most popular Oracle DBA tool.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

We use Toad for daily deep database management for routine tasks and performance fixes, database development and deployment into production through code lifecycle, packages, triggers, and procedures debugging for malfunctioning or substandard applications, user security management, database migration to new servers, among others. Toad has been the helping expert in solving query performance issues. It has also help our power user community gain access to their mission critical data when they needed it to make important decisions and create business centered reports.

Toad review by Agency in Government Relations
Agency in Government Relations

"Performance Dashboards and Toad Data Point"

What do you like best?

The #1 benefit is being able to connect to many different types of data sources and aggregate data into one product and aggregate data from many different sources into one dashboard.

I built my entire division's performance data reporting around Toad Data Point.

What do you dislike?

Bugs. Frequently, between Toad Data Point version releases, automation script processes that worked in a previous release will not work in the next version creating a lot of work to either work around it or to communicate with the Toad technical team to get the bug fixed for the next release.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not for novices. For me, at this point, I'm an expert at using it for what I do, but ease of use, setup, admin, etc. would not be easy for a novice. Internally, other people in other divisions have started using it with my assistance and recommendation.

We use Toad Data Point for performance data dashboards.

I use Toad Automation Scripts to connect to many different types of data source and aggregate the data into performance dashboards.

Toad review by User in Gambling & Casinos
User in Gambling & Casinos

"Toad is a valuable tool "

What do you like best?

Toad helped my team reduce the time we spent managing/maintaining our Oracle database. It allowed us to quickly identify issues within our database. The overall cost savings we logged due to time saved were impressive. While Toad might not be for everyone, it definitely helped us.

What do you dislike?

It's not the prettiest interface and sometimes it was hard to find the search function we needed. It's a little pricey. I think the search functionality could be improved to make it a better tool for its end user. It isn't the most user friendly software, however it's also not the worst out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend giving Toad a try if you're looking for software that will allow you to manage your database with ease and especially if you're using Oracle.

Although I no longer use Toad, we relied on it heavily because it gave us valuable database management tools that we just didn't get with Oracle. Overall, Toad made our day-to-day operations easier and freed us time that we used to tackle/address other issues. I think it's beneficial to companies who utilize Oracle and need a program that can help them maintain their database(s).

Toad review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Toad Is a very useful tools for all DBA."

What do you like best?

I Like the DBA option of it. It helps us to Manage oracle databases very easily. I use to create and modify Oracle objects. Its very easy to navigate. We can easily create scripts to rebuild the objects in test and other environments. Good editors for PLSQL objects and sql query too. Very easy tool to export data to spreadsheets or csv files.

What do you dislike?

It cannot be used as a monitoring tool. It cannot send us notification based on certain threshold. i.e tablespace is now at 90% etc. I am not sure if there is a web tool. All the other vendors are going away from thick client. It is a a bit pricey. Oracle SQLseveloper offers similar features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a very easy to use tools and very helpful too

I use it to Manage Oracle databases. Its very easy to use. I have been using it for more than 15 years now.

I don't need to remember all the dictionary views to monitor sessions. monitor tablespace usage oetc.

Toad review by <span>Saravanan R.</span>
Saravanan R.

"Toad is very user friendly and easy to access the data fast.."

What do you like best?

Very good for data export , validating the query syntax , executing the stored procedures. Exporting data is very user friendly as we can export data in required formats.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the total takes time for loading and gets stuck. No major issue to dislike..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good tool

I an currently working as data analyst. We use toad for validating the data accuracy and make sure reports are loaded as business expectation.

Toad review by User in Higher Education

"Audit Data Analyst"

What do you like best?

Being able to connect to a variety of databases, auto complete my SQL statements, a good query checker that is actual helpful in diagnosing your query, being able to profile the data on the fly to see patterns, check for uniqueness, and assess the type of data being saved (i.e. numeric, string, date, etc.).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes has issues when I switch from one database to another, where it dose not always auto query the tables and populate them on the side

Recommendations to others considering the product

You get what you pay for, if you are using the free version of an SQL editor that Oracle or MS SQL provides they its only as good as free and lacks some of the productive features in Toad.

One centralized tool to query Oracle, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Access, as well as some non traditional data sources like SharePoint, Excel, etc. Also being able to automate some repetitive tasks.

Toad review by User

"Toad for MySQL - best SQL client for MySQL"

What do you like best?

Provides a clear editor with as many or (almost) as few tools as you need surrounding it. Object name suggestions (Control + period) are fantastic. Comparison of result sets gives a quick way to regression test new queries against old ones without using full-blown testing tools.

What do you dislike?

Some GUI quirks, like a semi-transparent mask placed over the main Toad window when a modal dialog is open (showing and hiding of the mask over RDP is very sluggish). Some toolbars and windows (like toolbars within a SQL editor window), even when hidden, will come back whenever a new window is opened.

Quickly developing SQL queries for web app

Toad review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Best tool for Oracle database development"

What do you like best?

Very powerfull application that can be costomised in many ways to meet the expectations of the users and help everyone develop easyer.

Our development team had a common configuration file, that made sure all database connections were the same. Formater tool is also configured so our PL/SQL code looks the same nomatter who wrote the code.

Many code helping features are build in.

The application adapts to the license so no unlicensed features are shown.

What do you dislike?

Maybe there are too many new features :-)

- Not a truely bad thing, but it often gets crowded in the menus.

Early versions we 'buggy' but for many years the tool have been great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There might be others out there, but we like Toad for our Oracle installations.

No problems are solved, but it is the best tool that makes it soooo much faster to work with PL/SQL in an Oracle environment.

Toad review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Nice If You Aren't Super SQL Savvy"

What do you like best?

I like that there are some analysis features within the tool. Once your query is run, you can use Toad to do some data analysis right on the spot. I find this pretty handy. The histogram tool, in particular, is a nice feature for Six Sigma projects. Also, not that this is a deal breaker by any means, but the fact that it makes a "ribbit" sound when it starts up is pretty entertaining. I don't mind my work tools having a little sense of humor.

What do you dislike?

For the various wizards that exist within Toad, there is still a lot you have to be able to fill in manually. I had to know exactly what all of my connections were called and fill them all in by hand. The program did not recognize available connections without my input. Something else I don't love is that it kicks up errors during the autoconnect process pretty frequently for me. This may be a version issue, and not a tool issue, but there do seem to be more bugs in Toad than I have found in some other SQL programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend having other SQL programs in addition to Toad. I go back and forth between Toad and Teradata, for example, depending on what I need.

I use Toad to join different tables together to pull in large data sets for analysis. It runs pretty quickly, which is definitely a plus, and will flag you if something isn't written correctly so that you can fix it before it runs. Also, as I mentioned, the in-program data analysis tools are definitely handy. That way you don't have to export to Excel or some other program to create analysis charts if you're just trying to get a quick analysis done.

Toad review by <span>Jennifer L.</span>
Jennifer L.

"I use Toad for simple analysis and SQL queries"

What do you like best?

Toad provides a good interface and is simple to use. Its responsive and is relatively user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

It would be helpful to have some more assistance on some of the errors thrown.

As a functional analyst, I use Toad a lot to verify test cases during assembly test. I realized that having a simple-to-use database query tool makes my role much simpler and takes a lot of my dependencies off of my teammates.

Toad review by <span>Andrew C.</span>
Andrew C.

"User Friendly SQL Tooling"

What do you like best?

Toad is extremely user friendly. From the moment I jumped into using Toad (at the time having nearly zero experience with SQL) I was able to easily grasp and effectively utilize the tools at hand.

Beyond usability Toad provides a wealth of customization tools that I find to be very pleasant. I'm quite particular about my development environment, so being able to lay things out the way I please is highly valuable to me.

As I've gained more experience with SQL and delved deeper into it, I've rarely encountered cases where Toad was not enough. The few times I have had to dive into SQL Server Management Studio I have sorely missed the Toad experience.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint with Toad is lack of support for Postgres. PG is too big a player to get left out of the list of supported DBs (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc). After my company made the switch from SQL Server to PG I've had to find an alternative SQL editor for working with PG. While I'm mostly happy with the new SQL editor I would have chosen to stick with Toad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using one of the supported DBs then Toad is a no brainer. It is easy to use and provides a richer toolset than most all other SQL editors out there.

Toad has allowed our company to onboard people like myself (with little prior SQL experience) and quickly get them ramped up with simple SQL operations. Additionally, it has allowed each such team member to grow into full use of it's toolset and use it's more powerful capabilities like scripting and automation to solve common business needs like reporting.

Toad review by <span>Eliel G.</span>
Eliel G.

"Great software tool to connect to all major systems."

What do you like best?

Ability to connect to all major software packages and extract the data I need to run metrics and trends.

What do you dislike?

The connectors to certain software packages are not known and it takes sometime to find them and set them up.

I can connect directly to Trackwise and extract the data I need to create data dashboards to easily separate data by multiple criteria. The query engine inside Trackwise is not user friendly.

Toad review by User in Tobacco
User in Tobacco

"Best sql tool for oracle"

What do you like best?

If you're a developer and work with Oracle, this is a must have tool.

- Excellent data visualisation tool

- Very efficient SQL ide, with syntax highlighting and autocomplete.

- Great for debugging complex sql code

- Execution plan analysis, to improve performance, is a breeze.

- Now allows direct XML editing of stored data

- Integrates lots of database management tools

What do you dislike?

- Stored connections settings are not exportable, makes upgrading/fresh installs a pain

- Stability could be improved, some versions crash non-stop and others are super-stable

- Cancelling queries takes forever (but this could be an oracle issue...)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Our company has been using toad for over 10 years. As developers, we've tried other tools, buy always go back to toad as nothing works as well. Our partners and suppliers are also using it. Even business users, with no sql or development background, have started using it to perform their own data analysis, and require no help from IT to figure it out. This just shows how simple yet powerful this tool is.

Used for all sql development, wether it be for data warehousing and reporting, application data persistance or just data analysis

Toad review by <span>Anudeep P.</span>
Anudeep P.

"I am working as middileware developer ."

What do you like best?

I like to automate my reports. I am familiar with automation process and design. Everything toad will provide. Pure Sql variables we used in toad. Please contact the database administrators. They have very good understanding of this product.

What do you dislike?

Everything is good. I don't have anything to dislike. Please contact the database administrators. They have very good understanding of this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't have any recommendations. Mostly I use to automate some reports.

Its easy to automate all my process. Easy to learn

Toad review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Ashley Review - Business Analyst"

What do you like best?

I am brand new to SQL coding, but not necessarily to programming and I found Toad extremely user friendly and easy to pick up.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything. I would say the most confusing thing for me personally was getting my TNS set up but I know that is separate from Toad. The only other thing I can think of it that I somehow updated the GUI and lost the button to add a new sql window. I now have to do it manually through the file menu. I have not been able to figure out how to get it back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of all offered training.

I use to Toad provide business analysis to a health insurance provider.

Toad review by <span>Satek C.</span>
Satek C.

"As a DBA, I can't live without Toad"

What do you like best?

Great interface, lots of tools, (space management, performance and tuning) monitor. Can manage our Oracle environment easily and effectively.

What do you dislike?

How about an interface to the Spotlight Tools from Toad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TOAD is our preferred DBA management Tool for Oracle databases. We also use Toad Data Point for managing non-Oracle environments.

Used to manage our Oracle environment and tune queries. If we are running low on tablespace we use Toad to increase the table space. As a DBA, TOAD is an indispensable tool.

Toad review by Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Toad's March to perfection"

What do you like best?

The versatility of the browser is something that continues to amaze me. As far as I know, it is the only tool that has such a versatile, functionally rich and friendly data browser.

What do you dislike?

Although Toads like bugs, there is one thing that really bugs and can stand improvement; The connection manager has not improved since day one. First of all, there should be an option to be able to add a personalized title to each connection. Second, there needs to be a way to see a history of connections per database as well. Finally, a true connection manager most definitely should include a way to place connections in folders which the user can create.

A tool which assists a DBA to rapidly detect and resolve most common database issues. This benefits the business directly by reducing / eliminating valuable business downtime

Toad review by User

"Easy to use/Love the GUI"

What do you like best?

One of the best features that Toad offers, is that anyone can use it and it doesn't take too long to discover the different features of the product. I had my database colleague explain the product to me in less than 5 minutes and I was good to go.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have multiple Toad connections/screens opened in PROD or QA env pointing to the same database. Even though it clearly states at the top left, sometimes I'm really quick and it's hard to distinguish. Probably a color scheme would help

I use Toad for writing SQL queries, packages and stored procedures. It's easy of use and uptime.

Toad review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

"Great Flexibility and Cross DB Platform Perfromance"

What do you like best?

The object finder is very useful and helps to understand where and how a field table or procedure is being used. There many other outstanding features.

What do you dislike?

Do not really have dislikes. Everything we needed it for has worked perfectly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tool that will help make queries across different database platforms then this is the tool to consider.

the power of being able to create queries on a database of a third party product with intelligence has been powerful in meeting business demands. Creating dashboards that provide KPI's has proven to be very powerful.

Toad review by <span>Gregory M.</span>
Gregory M.

"Toad for Oracle"

What do you like best?

Intuitive design, easy to use, and will save countless hours of building queries and performing administrative tasks on Oracle. Very stable product and simply can't live without it.

What do you dislike?

Navigating options can be cumbersome and sometimes hard to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You really can't go wrong with Toad for Oracle - an excellent product that proves it's value each and every day. Will save countless hours.

As a DBA, I use Toad for Oracle almost 8 hours a day. An indispensable tool providing point and click operations on our Oracle databases. Benefits are speed of command execution, greatly simplifies administrative tasks, provides query tuning suggestions, graphical explain plan representations and various monitoring tools using Oracle's built-in processes.

Toad review by <span>Andrew J.</span>
Andrew J.

"Essential tool for DB management"

What do you like best?

Ease of use for managing data and database structure

What do you dislike?

Speed of startup, it can sometimes be slow to launch

Very easy to filter data to provide to business colleagues. Easy to check database structures and to trouble shoot application errors. I've been using TOAD for over 15 years through different versions and have introduced it when moving to new jobs

Toad review by <span>Bhuvan K.</span>
Bhuvan K.

"Toad for Oracle"

What do you like best?

Its the best and only tool I have been using to connect to Oracle and do SQL programming. Very user friendly and fast and automates SQL optimization

What do you dislike?

I haven't really disliked anything yet and would instead recommend. It's the number one in database development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totally recommended and one won't regret using it

SQL programming, stored procedure, complex queries

Toad review by <span>Christopher L.</span>
Christopher L.

"Toad is a powerful database tool"

What do you like best?

In Toad there are nearly unlimited functionnalities for database management.

We use Toad for Oracle at our company and the users are really happy

What do you dislike?

Paid versions of Toad as for Toad 4 Oracle, SQL etc are not cheap in the basic version comparing to free tools lik SQL Developper

The changement of editor - Quest - Dell - Quest had been a little bit confusing.

License management is rather tricky

Personnaly I use Toad for MySQL and use often the feature for extraction of data to excel sheets. In a couple of seconds you have it.

Toad review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Good software to use for writing queries"

What do you like best?

Toad saves up to 5 result tabs, so when you run a query and then change something, it'll save both runs so you have something to compare

What do you dislike?

Toad isn't too intuitive at first and you have to spend some time exploring before figuring out how to use it

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time getting trained on all the features available and what will help the most with your needs

Data analysis - helps us extract data on a regular basis. We are trying to implement Toad Data Point as well to better meet our needs for data analysis.

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

I am a fairly new user of Toad and learning how to write queries. I love that it is user friendly in the way that it is organized as well as how it tells me where I have an error in my script.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how sometimes I will click to run a query and it will run for a long time and then turn up no results. To me this indicates that there was an error somewhere that wasn't identified by Toad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toad is user friendly and intuitive. I recommend this product.

I use Toad to identify members with our health insurance who are likely to have additional coverage. It allows me to find members with gaps in data that need to be investigated and updated by our production staff.

Toad review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Great Tool"

What do you like best?

I like that I can use one tool to access SQL Server, Oracle and Excel.

What do you dislike?

I wish it could access more of the things that SQL Server Management Studio does, like the scheduler and database permissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a quick way to explore database tables and fields, and a way to create drag and drop queries, this is it!

I am using this to manage and build our data warehouse. I find this very helpful for writing queries very quickly. It is also very helpful for exploring new data sets quickly. It is good for learning the structure and layout of a new database too.

Toad review by <span>Jeffrey B.</span>
Jeffrey B.

"Easily shared result sets"

What do you like best?

The way in which the result sets can be shared with non-TOAD users (exporting); the way in which the result sets can be analyzed prior to exporting (charting, pivoting, etc.)

What do you dislike?

Cannot display result records vertically, which allows the fields to be sorted, as in SQL Navigator

Mostly ad hoc queries, extracting data for Finance, Purchasing, MFG, etc. and sending to Excel; have a daily task scheduled

Toad review by User in Financial Services

"Database Management tool for Oracle"

What do you like best?

Easy for daily Oracle database management. It reduces the effort and time you put into managing and maintaining Oracle databases.

When dealing with the task of exporting data with requirements, toad can provide different type of file formats according to your demand. Especially with large amount of data exporting(there is a parameter in Toad setting to control for large amount of data exporting).

What do you dislike?

Compare with other SQL developer, toad is more suitable for administration. The feature for developers is not quite obvious.

Database stored procedures cannot be overloaded.

The price is also a little expense for advance DBA version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toad is easy to use for daily management and operation of Oracle Database.

It provide almost all functions in your daily demand, the deployment is convenient, you do not need to install agent in your system, just with Oracle client and right configuration is enough.

You can manage different database all in one toad and make full use of repeated procedures.

Daily management and performance monitor is easily solved when using toad.

With toad, some cure developer in develop team can monitor the database performance of production, they can find out some bad SQL by themselves when the members in DBA teams is not able to focus on bad SQL tuning.

Toad review by <span>Alex D.</span>
Alex D.

"Toad Provides an Effective and Easy To Use Interface for Oracle Dbs"

What do you like best?

Toad for Oracle is largely intuitive. The interface has a relatively low learning curve.

What do you dislike?

I am not a huge fan of the export tools and the interface with the grid of results. Looking to how SMSS handles that would perhaps lead to improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toad for Oracle is a very effective tool for utilizing and managing Oracle dbs.

A business merger resulted in Oracle Dbs being part of what was previously solely SQL. Toad for Oracle was an effective solution for working with these Oracle Dbs.

Toad review by <span>Michael M.</span>
Michael M.

"Works fine for my purposes"

What do you like best?

It is the only SQL editor that I am allowed to use at work. It is simple to use and is lighter/quicker than the bulky SQL Server Management Studio I was used to previously.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I miss from SSMS is that I was able to run multiple queries at once and have each query show in a separate display window. That was helpful when analyzing issues. I have not found a way to do that in Toad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seems to be the preferred product for Oracle DBs. Go for it.

DB analysis

Toad review by <span>Aniruddha B.</span>
Aniruddha B.

"Nice DB management Tool for Oracle"

What do you like best?

Although TOAD is used as DB Management tool for other DB's, my experience is more limited to Oracle.

* Best client in terms of IDE like features for e.g. auto completion, syntax highlighting etc.

* Easy to setup and create DB connections with good sidebar features.

* Easy file exporting options and formatting is very simple too.

What do you dislike?

* Pricing - Each variant licence will cost you. It's not like one TOAD is used for all.

* UI is bit old and bloated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One stop easy to use and setup tooling for Oracle.

All of my day to day DB functionality and Oracle work is done in TOAD.

Toad review by User

"Toad gives us a great tool for developers to work with Oracle database"

What do you like best?

Toad combines capabilities to query the Oracle database and to create/update Oracle objects & code (tables, views, procedures, triggers, functions, etc.). The wizards included in Toad are extremely helpful. Toad is an invaluable tool to our developers.

What do you dislike?

There is a fair amount of learning curve. There are many keyboard shortcuts available, but sometimes difficult to find what they are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love it - can't live without it.

Toad allows us to run ad-hoc queries & provide data extracts to users for specific questions. We can quickly and simply provide data to users for analysis in Excel format. Often times, we start with a query to provide data to users, then transform that into a report (SSRS) that users can run whenever necessary.

Toad review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"Great SQL tool"

What do you like best?

Toad is easy to use for executing SQL statements and connecting to databases. It offers schema browsing and options to explore source codes for the database tables, among many other options.

What do you dislike?

Some of the error messages when executing a SQL statement are not clear. Trying to figure out where and what the problem is can be troublesome.

Toad allows me to explore data stored in the data warehouse and test syntax and export results for a lot of various projects

Toad review by <span>Valerio G.</span>
Valerio G.

"Tool #1 for Oracle Database management"

What do you like best?

TOAD for Oracle lets me perform nearly any operation on Oracle Database in a few seconds. It's easier working with TOAD!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I lose connection to the database, TOAD freezes and it's difficult to recover control

I'm the Architect of a Web Application named iDea, that supports Utility Companies.

My team and I work with TOAD to maintain the Data Model and to code the Business Logics; TOAD is just the tool we need for fast and effective development.

Toad review by <span>Jason S.</span>
Jason S.

"Proactive data management solutions to be more data-driven"

What do you like best?

Work smarter and meet the demands of today’s database environments. Toad simplifies workflows, automates frequent or repetitive processes, and minimizes risks associated with changes

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately the product is pretty expensive for our team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product that supports just about any development platform. We used specifically for Oracle

We shortened our development cycles without compromising quality or increasing risk to meet the demands of your business. Work smarter and become more agile by delivering easily-maintainable code 40% faster than comparative tools.

Toad review by <span>Emily C.</span>
Emily C.

"Data Processing"

What do you like best?

I like how Toad is easy to use and can split data. It is very user friendly and is useful for reports. I have learned a lot about Toad even though as a user, I have only been using it for 1-2 months.

What do you dislike?

At first when I got it, the interface was very confusing. It was only until I had to go look online to figure out what I could do to be able to work

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Client level data

Toad review by <span>Eliseo H.</span>
Eliseo H.

"Real tool for DBA's"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, powerful tool. Ideal for developers and adminmistrators. I've been using toad for more than 15 years and it's the best administration tool ever, I highly recommend this tool to every developer and DBA

What do you dislike?

I like everything about toad. Perhaps one of the things I dislike is the price (but you pay for quality)

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best administration tool. Excellent documentation and support

Query optimization, identify object locking, object creation and edit, DBA Tasks

Toad review by Administrator

"A must have SQL tool"

What do you like best?

The fact that TOAD allows me to do data modelling, also the simple fact that it tells me where I've made an error in a SQL. This tool takes the simple tasks and trials into consideration.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much about this tool to dislike. Sometimes when running larger queries the tool will lock up when you try and cancel a query.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed.

The ability to run Data Models has been huge for us as our vendor has never been able to provide them. So we have gained new insights into how our data connects and operates. Increasing the accuracy and value of our SQLs.

Toad review by <span>Akila N.</span>
Akila N.

"The best tool for oracle"

What do you like best?

Easy navigation through schemas and sessions. Love this tool to help monitoring during performance issues.

What do you dislike?

No specific attribute to dislike. I like toad as it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product for oracle maintenace

Performance issues, locked users, query building

Toad review by <span>Sree R.</span>
Sree R.

"Toad Magic"

What do you like best?

The Best Monitoring Tool for Oracle DBA’s

What do you dislike?

I have no particular dislike for any feature

Recommendations to others considering the product

A Must-Have Monitoring Tool

Great tool for resolving user session contentions, tablespace administration, monitoring afchiver errors, listener issues, invalid program units etc

Toad review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Good experience with Toad"

What do you like best?

The powerful functionality.It's a tool to connect different database to run query, turning query and develop DB SP, function. It keep update with main DB vendor version.

What do you dislike?

The layout. Structure of the button and menu. The price is expensive considering there's some similar tools in the market with free of charge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toad will never disappointing you. But give some patient if you are beginner, it have all functionality. If you don't find what you need, most of the time it's due to you don't find where is the functionality

It's a tool to connect different database to run query, turning query and develop DB SP, function. So, it used for lots of business scenarios. Benefit is, this is the most advanced tool in the market, you get everything you need as a DB developer

Toad review by <span>David A.</span>
David A.

"Review of Toad Data Point"

What do you like best?

The results table is easy to manage. Also, it keeps the results on separate tabs if you run subsequent queries.

What do you dislike?

There are problems if the queries can't be visualized. In that case you can't save the quesry. This was possible under the older Toad versions, but not any more. It's a big hassle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure if the problems I encounter are due to our databases or the Toad tool. I

Allows us to query our databases that don't have good reporting tools.

Toad review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Powerful tool"

What do you like best?

Ability to connect to multiple datababase servers like Oracle and SQL really helps switching between DB's. Also the ability to create automation jobs to run scripts at scheduled times save time.

What do you dislike?

Design and layout can be improved to make it look more simple, clean and user friendly - being more picky I guess. Just a suggestion for improvement, still a great tool as is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone using Oracle SQL developer or SQL Mgmt Studio must definitely try this tool.

Mainly for data analytics - Developing SQL scripts, creating automation jobs, exporting large result sets using TOAD is more reliable than other tools.

Toad review by <span>Gianpiero S.</span>
Gianpiero S.

"The best DBA tool"

What do you like best?

It's possible to view and modify table data in an immediate way.

What do you dislike?

Launching the application sometimes gets a lot of time

We have a complete and intuitive view of schemas, tables, privileges, sessions, etc

Toad review by Administrator in Gambling & Casinos
Administrator in Gambling & Casinos

"Toad is the best DBA+Dev tools I ever used for Oracle and MySQL databases."

What do you like best?

Toad is the best tool for running SQL and develop against Oracle and MySQL, all the support you get with format, templates and highlights of code.

It's similar the best tool I ever used for a lot of DBA tasks. the help you get for common and useful tasks is great.

What do you dislike?

Not much but if I need to mention something, even if there is a lot of help during code writing with templates, snippet and format, lot of other code-writing editors have auto-complete implemented. that would be awesome.

Me and my team are keeping a 24/7, round the globe business running with a lot of help from Toad.

Toad review by <span>Gianni B.</span>
Gianni B.

"The must-have tool for Oracle"

What do you like best?

I like the completeness of functionality on the developer and the admin side

What do you dislike?

I hate when it crash in the middle of debugging

Administering and monitoring DBs, Developing and debugging complex PL/SQL packages

Toad review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Best Tool for Developers and DBAs"

What do you like best?

Ease of use,

It's a powerfull tool.

Multi Tab Table View.

Great Tool for Developers.

Great tool for DBA tasks.

What do you dislike?

It's a lil bit slow.

I'd like to have the possibility of splitting tabs into tow or more windows of multiple tabs.

Execute querys every day.

Export / Import table data.

Develop PL/SQL Procedures and Functions.

SQL Tuning.

Create Database Objects like Views, Procedures, Functions, Tables, etc...

Toad review by User in Financial Services

"Very good GUI. Easy to use and some features make the job easier than oracle SQL. "

What do you like best?

The data import and export features are great. Also the colorful GUI and fonts make it easier to read codes and debug them. Schemes browser is a neat way to describe objects.

What do you dislike?

Running queries in multi thread can sometimes get annoying. Also toad runs very slow on slower PC. The data import functions doesn't have the ability to read date formats unless mentioned by user.

Using it for day to day data analysis. Our company runs or large data and we use oracle to store the data and analyze data.

Toad review by <span>Divya R.</span>
Divya R.

"Decent tool for development and administration of RDMS database"

What do you like best?

This product makes it easy to view different packages in a scheme, allows queries to be exported into excel, csv. It provides statistics of how much time a query can take to run and how many rows are retrieved. It is a great tool for analysis and management of a database.

What do you dislike?

It has a limited buffer size, hence it is not good if you want to retrieve a lot of rows. Because of the same reason, there is a delay in its performance. You can process only a fixed mount of information at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product can be used to make back-end development such as procedures easier. Good User interface will help is interacting with the back-end.

I use toad for oracle to write procedures and packages

Toad review by <span>Mark M.</span>
Mark M.

"TOAD is a must have for Oracle Database professionals of all kinds"

What do you like best?

Easy access to a plethora of database information. I was introduced to TOAD in 1995 and have insisted on having it at every job since.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything to dislike about TOAD.

In an Oracle eBusiness Suite world, it can be challenging to find data. With TOAD you have a powerful tool to search objects and discover interesting new pieces of data.

Toad review by <span>Brandon D.</span>
Brandon D.

"An OK tool, but barely better than standard Oracle set"

What do you like best?

The navigation structure is decent particularly when trying to manage schemas.

What do you dislike?

The UI in general. Look, it is definitely better than many of the Oracle-provided tools. But it is also the 21st century. A clean, streamlined UI would be nice. As it is, the UI looks like it was pulled from the early 2000s.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is still the best out there for what it does.

To manage schemas and navigate table structures.

Toad review by <span>Avinash Royal T.</span>
Avinash Royal T.

"Toad user experience"

What do you like best?

handling tables as objects in toad is the best feature

What do you dislike?

takes time for beginners, which I feel is fine given what toad offers

writing queries

Toad review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Couldn't live without it"

What do you like best?

It connects me to all my databases through one front end and provides me with the analytical tools to make sure that they are running at peak performance. The ribbit sound at startup is cute :)

What do you dislike?

there is nothing at this time that I dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

compared to other like products, Toad is the easiest to use.

troubleshooting queries, performance, data analysis, etc.

Toad review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"A single client for all."

What do you like best?

Ability to connect to pretty much every existing DBMS easily.

Features automated job.

Have reporting tools.

Autocomplete is great (when it works)

What do you dislike?

Autocomplete/autosuggestion is buggy.

Debugging stored procedure wasn't easy.

Displaying Oracle DBMS output was tricky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A complete database client with full features that can connect to nearly all DBMS in the market.

We are using many different DBMS and having a single client that can simultaneously connect to all of them saves a lot of time.

Being able to easily switch between schema is a plus compared to Oracle SQL Developer.

Toad review by Administrator

"Toad's experience fast and easy"

What do you like best?

Toad allows you to manage Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2 and MySQL databases. Its graphical interface quickly facilitates solving the performance of databases

What do you dislike?

There are no versions of Toad for linux operating systems and only allows to install in Microsoft Windows environment

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have only used Toad for Oracle and MySQL, but I fully recommend it, because the interface is the same and it is an integrated and very complete tool

This tool allows me to execute my daily tasks of database administration in a quick and easy way, performance solutions, database development and deployments

Toad review by User in Internet

"Toad a must have tool for developer and admin"

What do you like best?

Toad is like a multipurpose tool for almost any type of databases. It is useful for admins, developers, for optimization etc all operations on a database. Toad can do all the functionalities of a database tool like SQL script execution, Query evaluation, Query plan evaluation, ER diagram generation, reverse engineering, Schema Doc generator, import and export etc.

It also provides the feature to automate certain daily activities like a macro. For a multiuser development purposes toad can be integrated with a VCS or it can be used as is with team coding feature.

What do you dislike?

Everything you can do with a click on this tool so may be its not a good one to start with for newbies.

Other than that everything else is as good as it can be!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a great tool for developer and admins to connect to databases and develop database modules then Toad will be the first one to consider. Toad offers a trial version for users to evaluate before start using it!

Regular DBA activities and database module development such as tables, packages, triggers, jobs etc..

Toad review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Working as Big Data Technical Lead in a Big Hadoop Cluster"

What do you like best?

Toad is a kind of easy tool to deal with and it has lot of handy features to connect to Hadoop architecture

What do you dislike?

There is nothing like dislike, still Toad can improve Big Data integration and come up with lot of data ingestion, transformation technics in Toad itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Technology integration with Big Data technologies can be enabled in Toad to connect to all BD technologies.

It is easy to connect to Hive using Toad and also Query Transformation for my clients access data from Hive - this tool is very easy to learn by non-technical clients and their users.

"Great Database Tool"

What do you like best?

I really like the simplicity of the tool for querying a database and setting up the tool. I used the tool to verify data and ensure the integrity of the data while performing my QA Tasks. The tool is clean, very easy to use/learn and much simpler to incorporate into testing than some of the other database tools.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, the tool is very simple/easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Incorporate more features to help users design data test sets and features to help QUICKLY connect to the database connection.

I am solving the need of having QA Analyst meet with developers or other tech guys on the team to get data sets or data results. This tool has helped us save so much testing time and helped QA rely on themselves and helps us to be more proficient with data testing and setting up our environments to connect to.

Toad review by Administrator in Consumer Goods
Administrator in Consumer Goods

"Awesome product for my job!"

What do you like best?

The tool is so robust and has many features related to database monitoring, data gathering, daily EBS administration.

What do you dislike?

Since it has many feature, the menu sometime very confusing and clutter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome product, essential for Oracle E-Business Suite

E-Bussiness suite data issue, such as order management, inventory, shipping related data.

It is a huge benefit I got with this single program

Toad review by <span>Saurabh S.</span>
Saurabh S.

"Working with Toad since last 10 years"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of the application and number of features they have provided. You can do almost everything in your database using toad.

What do you dislike?

I don't like it when it crashes, while working with large dataset

PL/SQL optimizer tool license should not be purchased separately, Another problem is robustness, I didn't see much problems.

I can save some time while working with toad, rather than SQL plus,

"My daily companion"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, love the export result and to be able to view the schema browser and editor at the same time

What do you dislike?

The Toad update,

When I change connection from network to wireless too easy to lose connection.

Could do complicated report for upper management team that help to see where we need more resources.

Toad review by User in Higher Education

"So productive"

What do you like best?

Ease of being able to popup tables and quickly see table and objects specs in another windows so that I can continue coding

What do you dislike?

Debugging is more cumbersome than SQLDeveloper

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't just buy the base version. More advanced versions include TDD, code reviews, etc.

Custom development using a COTS solution where the back-end code is PL/SQL

Toad review by <span>Alexander  A.</span>
Alexander A.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

I am using Toad For Mysql, and everything necessary for a dba is in a single software, the administration is easier.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the versions I have sometimes had problems with the components to be installed on the PC.

The administration of the mysql databases, the import of data and the loading of data.

Toad review by <span>Heather E.</span>
Heather E.

"Fulfills my data pulling needs"

What do you like best?

I like best the visibility TOAD provides from table views to preview data and being aware of changes made to the query to ensure a file has been saved or not.

What do you dislike?

Every time I try and close TOAD, several error messages pop up causing a delay.

the easy accessibility to data from our database

Toad review by <span>Ozgur I.</span>
Ozgur I.

"Good DB browser"

What do you like best?

complete solution for DB browsing, easy configuration

What do you dislike?

needs too much memory to work, panel should be simplified

Recommendations to others considering the product

for an enterprise, it should be compared against rivals. It has many advantages for developers and application administrators.

Accessing more than 1 DB at one place. easy to browse DB objects. editing data on browser screen

Toad review by <span>Tony T.</span>
Tony T.

"TOAD for Oracle 12.5 review"

What do you like best?

Schema browser and ease of use for new employees to learn SQL and databases.

What do you dislike?

Almost too robust, could be simpler to use. Wish there was a stripped down version with just tables and views. The SQL editor could be better as well because it is difficult to run multiple querys in the same editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can afford the licensing, then TOAD is the best tool for querying and accessing databases for novice to advanced users.

We are collapsing legacy systems and need TOAD to validate our data. We have realized tremendous benefits in cost savings of training new employees to query the database.

Toad review by <span>Abbas A.</span>
Abbas A.

"Business Systems Analyst"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, power of connectivity,

Cross connection sql editor, sql optimizer hints, automation

What do you dislike?

Learning curve getting use to using toad for oracle in comparison to using toad for the data analyst

Recommendations to others considering the product

After discovery of the tool I cannot imagine not having it available every day. The query hints are so helpful for optimizations.

Data Analysis between sources especially using cross connection functionality

Learn more about Toad

Toad Videos

Learning about Toad?

* We monitor all Toad reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.