Toggl

Toggl is an online tracking too for freelancers, consultants, and small companies. It allows users to track the time spent on projects and analyze productivity.

Work for Toggl?

Learning about Toggl?

Toggl Reviews

Showing 287 Toggl reviews
Toggl review by Mary W.
Mary W.

"Time tracking app with several features"

What do you like best?

At our company, it is important that we not only track time, but also track the project that time is going to. This helps us realize which projects and clients are taking up most of our time, and help us determine the ROI of our clients and our time. We like that you can attribute your time to a specific client or project, as well as add tags to help sort through your tasks. We use the tags for our 6 main services so we can pull reports about how much time we are all spending on each service.

What do you dislike?

The toggl app can sometimes be slow or buggy, and there are several updates. While usually quitting the app and restarting it helps, it can still be frustrating when you are trying to switch tasks quickly and can't because the app is being buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this product for those looking for a time tracking app. It has all features of a time tracking app that you would want in a product. You can track tie, attribute to projects, and tag tasks.

We are solving the general problem of time tracking - when are our employees working and what are they working? Overarching benefits include tracking profitability - which clients are taking up most of our time? We can use all of the reports and facts to generate actionable steps and goals for the next quarter in terms of maximizing our time.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Toggl
Toggl review by Caleb D.
Caleb D.

"Great product for not letting time slip by + tracking time for client invoicing"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the desktop interface is to use. With a few clicks (or keyboard shortcuts) I can start a new task, name it, and assign a project.

I also like the weekly email reports Toggl sends me. With a glance, I can tell how much time I spent on various work responsibilities.

Reports are very easy to produce. I use them both to evaluate my own time and to determine how many hours a client should be charged for.

What do you dislike?

The desktop app sometimes jumps way down in the list of recorded time entries after I submit a new one. It's annoying, but doesn't affect my workflow much.

Toggl keeps me conscious of how long I've been at a current task. It motivates me to not slack off, but finish the work in a timely manner.

Toggl enables me to send clients invoices that are accurate to the second, giving them confidence that we are charging them fairly.

What Time Tracking solution do you use?

Toggl review by AMANDA S.
AMANDA S.

"A Stress-Free Way to Create Your Timesheet "

What do you like best?

Toggl has been beyond helpful to me as a freelancer. It allows me to jump from project to project, take breaks, and pick back up in any project where I left off, all while keeping an accurate, well-organized record of what I have done, when, and for how long. It takes so much stress out of time-tracking and record keeping.

What do you dislike?

At times, it does seem to be a little buggy. (For instance, lately, when I start up Toggl again after having not used it for several hours, it will tell me I am hours and hours into a project I haven't touched in weeks/months. I simply stop the timer and delete the entry, but it is a bit annoying to have to deal with.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to take advantage of all its organizational tools.

It makes it far easier to accurately invoice clients as a freelancer. It also provides excellent organizational tools, making it easier to keep track of projects, clients, or even group projects (it allows you to create teams so that you can keep all the time multiple people spend on a client in one organized space).

Toggl review by Scott D.
Scott D.

"Great Tool for Tracking TIme"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a great productivity app that we have been using at our company for a couple of years now. With Toggl, I can easily get reports on what my employees have been working on, improving the transparency in the workplace. In addition to providing transparency within the company as a whole, Toggl helps me stay more focused on completing my goals and tasks; I use a Toggl for my work schedule as well as my personal one, and I keep them under the same Toggl account. Using Toggl, I've learned how to become more productive.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an auto-generate report feature - this would make my life easier so I don't have to chase down employees for their reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot - I think you'd be surprised at how efficient your team will become.

We use Toggl to stay as efficient at my business as possible. As a small business, it is important to keep our overhead as tidy as possible and with Toggl, we are getting increased productivity out of everyone, since everyone's time is being kept now. Before, a person could spend an hour writing an email - now that takes less than ten minutes and they are on to the next task.

Toggl review by Cassandra M.
Cassandra M.

"Great concept! "

What do you like best?

I like the time keeping feature. Honestly it's what we use it for specifically. It's good for organizing projects and seeing where you're spending your time. We like that you can use it for keeping track of what is billable and not as well. The app is slightly more user friendly than the web based program.

What do you dislike?

I understand the method behind it but I don't like that the timer keeps going even after I've shut down my browser or the app. I understand that we wouldn't want to have to keep the tab open or keep refreshing the phone just to keep the timer going but on more than one occasion we've had hours go far higher than intended (and once overnight!) So that feature could use some tweaking (Possibly a time-out after x amount of time option? Or alarm reminders asking if you're still working?)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play around with it. We use the free version but I think the paid version probably has a lot of really cool features. It tracks days/hours/projects. Useful for someone self-employed with multiple clients or a team trying to track their admins time.

Again we're mostly just using it for the time keeping feature. We love the statistical breakdown of where we are spending our time and which projects we can spend more time on or cut back on.

Toggl review by Federico J.
Federico J.

"I can track my time and see how productive I'm being"

What do you like best?

I've used multiple time trackers in the past. Toggl has the best interface and ease of use that I've tried so far. Their browser dashboard is nice and easy to use. And their Mac app is super simple and streamlined, so you don't have to jump through a lot of loops to start tracking your time when you are working on a new task.

I like the breakdown of description > project > client. As a freelancer, this helps me organize all of my tasks and keep a record of what I've been working on and for whom.

I have tasks that I need to perform daily and the search autocomplete feature helps me find and pick the right task in a second.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I'll hit enter when the search autocomplete suggest the task I'm looking for, but then it wont' be recorded as such. This is super simple to fix, but that's about all I can think right now. There's not much to dislike about Toggl.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for a month and then see the reports. You'll be amazed at what you learn about your working habits.

Tracking my time and seeing what I've been working on and for whom. Learning if I'm pricing myself right after seeing how much time it takes me to do certain things.

Toggl review by Tim C.
Tim C.

"Toggl makes keeping track of time a breeze."

What do you like best?

I like how easy Toggl is to use. You simply hit the start button and start tracking your time. It even gives me reminders every so often to remind me to track my time if I've forgotten to start the timer. It's easy to keep projects separate with the color coding options. I can go online and view reports of all of my tasks and time and export them to csv or pdf. I also like the fact that it will keep track of the time I'm idle. So if I go away from my computer for a time and forget to stop the timer, when I return I get a notification from Toggl telling me how long I was idle, and asking if I'd like to keep that time or remove it.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about Toggl. Except maybe the number of clients you can have before you have to upgrade to the paid version. That and the fact that I'm not able to add my hourly rate for each client unless I pay for an upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an easy to use, simple, time-tracking app, then Toggle is for you.

I keep track of the hours I'm working on specific tasks for my clients, and I'm able to export those hours in a nicely formatted report to send along with my invoice. It helps me visualize those projects I'm working on and where I need to put in more time.

Toggl review by David R.
David R.

"Nice, quick and free solution for personal projects time tracking"

What do you like best?

Beautiful UI, Chrome extension work very smooth and is full of customization options.

Dashboard is nicely distributed and is easy to manage projects, teams and clients. Overall app performance and loading is fast compared to competitors like Everhour

Free plan is perfect for personal use and small projects highly recommended

Idle time feature makes time tracking more precisely and therefore more accurate reports.

What do you dislike?

Team prices are too expensive for small teams and not dollar based economy.

Manual mode is kind of confusing for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, there's a free version perfect for personal use, let yourself know your performance un your daily tasks.

Easy and fast time tracking for personal projects, nice mobile app very useful if you move through the city constantly for meetings or when commuting.

The management of idle time help us to understand procrastination and take actions.

Free solution alternative to Everhour.

Toggl review by Shaun T.
Shaun T.

"Versatile, User-Friendly, Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use. You can set a timer or enter time manually and it's easy to correct errors. You can set tasks and sub-tasks associated with a particular project to be able to track time across teams for an extended project. Reports are also very easy to generate, customize, and export. We have relied on this service since 2009 and it has been excellent in keeping track of time both for payroll and client billing purposes.

What do you dislike?

It may be a little too easy to edit past time - but this has also been a boon to those of our consultants who have had to postpone adding specific codes to their time in favor of meeting deadlines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended Toggl to several friends who were starting businesses or even just wanted a better way to track their time at work. It's very helpful in evaluating my own productivity since I can see how much time I'm spending on different tasks - and it's easy enough to use that I'm not spending a lot of time tracking my time. It's become automatic for me.

The archive of time and hours - even for employees who are no longer with us - helps us greatly with compliance for our government contracts. If a client has a question about our billing, we have the data easily available for them.

Toggl review by Rachel O. S.
Rachel O. S.

"A great, straight-forward system."

What do you like best?

I like that Toggl is not complicated. I make a system, I press the "start" button, and I track my time. It's easy to look back over and get all of the information you need.

What do you dislike?

I have no real problem with Toggl. I do not use the client function, so I can't speak into its quality, but everything I use in Toggl works well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for time tracking. This is not a task app. This is not an Asana competitor.

This is amazing for sending my tracking up the line. It also keeps me from trying to work on 6 projects at the same time. If I need to work on something else, I intentionally stop working on the first project, pause the tracker, and start a new tracker. Then, I can let my employer know exactly how long certain tasks take, instead of just estimating my weekly time usage.

Toggl review by Michelle D.
Michelle D.

"Got the job done for a free service"

What do you like best?

Toggl is pretty simple to use for my purposes. I am really glad to be able to simply track my time on different projects for free. Also, for a free service, the reporting and summary functions are great.

What do you dislike?

The entry can be a bid tedious. In a previous version, it was really simple to add time entries for a variety of projects on a past date. Now, you have to change the date for every single entry, which can be really frustrating, as I am someone who would back-log my projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely shop around, but if you are looking for simple tracking (especially for free), this service will do the trick.

I didn't use toggl for its budget tracking. My office uses Toggl to track our time spent on a variety of different tasks so we can see how we are spending our time and figure out how we should be spending our time.

Toggl review by Manikanta K.
Manikanta K.

"Easy Time Sheet Tracker"

What do you like best?

There are many timesheet apps which would be used on a daily, weekly and monthly basis whereas toggl solve the purpose of tracking each and every task of the routine along with their specific project. This will help us to reflect ourselves to improve our work style. Dashboard and the customized option to have a quick view of our productive efforts. Insights generated from the reports are helpful for the project improvement. Frequent notifications and weekly reports over mails are motivative factors from this application.

What do you dislike?

Multiple Workspaces, Projects, Clients, and Teams should be more user-friendly and billed projects process should be simplified. Restricting few advanced options to paid version has to be redefined. Toggl master certification course is impressive but not getting proper assistance to finish such courses for the free users. It would be great if free users get such opportunity to explore themselves to become subject matter experts to support fellow users from the toggl community.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended to all the executives who don't have specific tasks/timesheet tracker or wanna shift to lean methodological system. Team Leads and Managers can use this application which can help them to track their teammate's efforts and billing hours to do the cost-effective analysis for their projects.

Daily, Weekly and Monthly Time Tracking to evaluate the efforts and productive efforts. Generating the reports on the periodic basis. Frequent training sessions from the support team also helps the users to update on the application usage.

Toggl review by Rob T.
Rob T.

"The easiest time tracker I've found and we got 100% adoption"

What do you like best?

The simplicity

You can, in the paid versions, mark items as billable and report on them

Tagging, customers, clients, projects, teams, hourly rates, budgets... There's loads of flexibility to record deal work not just idealised ideas of work.

Charity discount.

Browser plugin creates time tracking buttons on loads of websites

Fascinating insights from the desktop app showing what program you've had open at any given time, your Facebook habit will be blown wide open

What do you dislike?

Kind of expensive on the face of it with tiered pricing 😪

Integration with teamweek should make this a world champ but instead they link clunky, unidirectionally and you have to manually move data (eg budgeted hours) from one to the other

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and if you are a team assume you will have to pay as the free tier just doesn't cut it.

The reason to try it is that whether your team use it accurately or not it's likely to be the decider.

Accurate recording of time spent on different tasks including for billable work.

We achieved this.

Toggl review by Evelyn-Alice T.
Evelyn-Alice T.

"Very useful "

What do you like best?

As a freelancer who is paid by the time worked it's the perfect tool for me to keep my working hours in check, it's very easy to use and what I like best is the reporting that tells you exactly how much time you spent doing what tasks. This also helps with your productivity.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a pause button. Sometimes when I start a task (start the clock) and something comes up, the only thing I can do is to stop the clock. Which is not that bad but I think a pause button would be more useful for short breaks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your time management isn't that great and you wish you had a better overview of what takes up most of your time, try Toggl. For me, it was exactly the tool I needed to keep my time on track.

At the end of each week, I have to send my clients a reporting on what I did for each project. This report includes also a time deduction from the time they booked. It is very important for me to keep a track of my tasks so I can deduct the time correctly. Toggl helped me get rid of the stress that involved keeping track of the time spent on different activities. I just start the clock when I begin a task and stop it at the end.

Toggl review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Excellent tool for time tracking and exporting"

What do you like best?

This tool has made my life so much easier for tracking billable time when working on client projects as a consultant. I was previously using a Google spreadsheet but I really prefer being able to quickly access Toggl and start the timer or manually input and assign the project (based on what I am working on) to the time entry. Then I can export to PDF or a spreadsheet if I want. The reporting feature is so easy to use and provides a professional report that can be shared alongside my invoices I send.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would love to see would be the ability for exported time to be available in time increments other than the standard, for example, 1:30 for 1 hr 30 minutes -- for that to translate to 1.5 for those accounting offices and invoicing tools that use that incremental conversion for billing purposes. For this reason I do keep a separate conversion chart but that's ok. I have submitted that as a feature request already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a feature rich tool with a free-user plan to be able to test it out with at least one project for unlimited time so this is wonderful. I recommend trying it for a month and I guarantee you will convert over. There is even a mobile app to make life easier.

This just provides the level of professionalism and user simplicity I need so I can worry about managing my daily work vs. the tedious time-tracking of my prior method (spreadsheet).

Toggl review by Leo J.
Leo J.

"A great tools that would really use a nice desktop app..."

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use of their webapp, the reports it generates, it's really easy to setup and use.

What do you dislike?

The linux desktop app: it looks dated, it's not intuitive, it laggs a bit (used it on 3 diff laptops with the same result always), and some things are really not practical (tagging a task for instance is a potential nightmare on the app)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Activate the pomodoro mode right away: before this was an option on toggle I would forget it was on and let my counters run on for hours ... (the desktop app doesn't discard the time that has passed while the computer was turned off or suspended if the counter was on)

I want to track how much time I spend on completing tasks for my customers (I'm a freelancer developer) and prepare some bills to send. I also want to know how much time I spend/loose on some side projects. I like that it offers a pomodoro mode on the desktop app, I just wish it could be a little more "discret" and not pop-up an alert windows right in the middle of the screen 'cause it sometimes break my concentration and stop me in my thoughts while I'd have rather start the rest period a minutes later.

Toggl review by Michelle R.
Michelle R.

"Toggl is the Timer We Didn't Know We Needed!"

What do you like best?

I love that you can label the time that you log. I can look back at my time and see how much time was spent on various projects. This is super helpful for planning. I also like that the timer runs in the tab in my browser so I don't have to keep clicking back and forth to see how much time I've been working. I also like being able to manually enter my time, sometimes I forget to log in so it is nice to go back and fix it.

What do you dislike?

I was getting frustrated with all the bugs in the Toggl iOS app. However, I know those were just fixed!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Toggl to keep track of your time and your employees' time as well! No need for a physical clock to track time at work, use the app or website to keep track for you!

We are able to keep track of work that we do even when we are off site. It is an easy and honest way to record time. Again, being able to label the time also helps us know how much time we need to plan on when it comes to various projects.

Toggl review by Sara  A.
Sara A.

"Very Easy to Use, Excellent Tracking for Tasks"

What do you like best?

That I can classify the tasks i do and time them accurately.

What do you dislike?

The new version puts all the same tasks together so it's hard to see them in chronological order.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure when you have a task that you would like to repeat in the future you name it the same thing each time. Toggl will help by offering you the name if you begin typing it in and if you have typed it in previously. I really like keeping my tasks well classified so I focus on keeping the same name for tasks and projects when I repeat them.

I figure out how long something takes, which helps me plan out how much time I will need next time around. I have been able to shorten the amount of time I take on each task since Toggl helps me to focus and use my time more efficiently.

Toggl review by Jim R.
Jim R.

"Mediocre Product, Sneaky Fine Print, Awful Customer Service, "

What do you like best?

Honestly it is a very mediocre application. It does have a chrome button that is kinda handy for punching in and punching out. It keeps time, I guess that's the point.

What do you dislike?

I have a team of 5 but decided to bring on 2 student interns to do some testing for our development team, bringing us over the 6 employee threshold for the free version. Of the entire team, I am the only full-time employee and don't get paid, so I probably didn't really need a timekeeping app, but I figured, if it makes life easier, let's go for it. I opted to save some money and buy the year up front (Big Mistake) The first month is free and was spent trying to get everyone used to using Toggl, which they never did. It really only stuck with my CTO who had used it with another company in the past so he was already used to it, everyone else to this day just plugs their hours into it at the end of the week/month, which could easily be handled with an email. Not that any of that is Toggl's fault, but there just was not a lot of value for MY team. The problem, however, was when I added a user to replace someone who had left, and forgot to take the old person off the list right away, boom get hit with another 100 dollars for that new employees year in advance. I emailed support (They do not offer phone support at all) to let them know that after looking at this new charge and how little my employees use the service, I'd really like to downgrade to the free version and get a prorated refund. They informed me that they do not give refunds, even though it says on their website you can downgrade anytime. That actually is true you can press the button that says downgrade, but it won't actually downgrade until you're credits have run out. I asked to have a manager call me, and was informed that they would never do that as they don't make phone calls. They said they'd speak to a supervisor about a refund. No one ever got back to me. I emailed again asking to speak to a supervisor and someone emailed me back simply saying they don't give refunds and citing some fine print in their terms that of course, I agreed to when I signed up. I did agree, so it's not a scam, but boy they must not be very confident in their product. My company needs money more than anything, and I would NEVER refuse a pro-rated refund to an unhappy user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would never recommend a product with such poor support to others. tricking people into prepaying with a discount then refusing a refund when they are unhappy is just unreal in SaaS

Timekeeping, none.

Toggl review by Richard H.
Richard H.

"Lightweight time keeping tool that does what I need without issue"

What do you like best?

The flexible reporting options. The ability to download as a CSV file any slice of data I need, be it for a few specific team members or for a specific time range or a specific keyword and any configuration of these options has more than proven it's worth

What do you dislike?

The lack of a global cache clear, while minor, is quite annoying. On a few occasions now, I have needed to change the way we record our times which has gone smoothly for the most part. However, due to Toggl caching entries for easier repeats, every now and again in the weeks after a changeover I'll find people using the old format by accident as they've clicked on the wrong cached entry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is one of the few timekeeping tools I have seen that lets you ignore almost every feature it has built-in, in order to sideload your own system. If you just need a recording stopwatch with a text entry field, I would still recommend toggl as it will allow you to use it as such without issue.

It allows us to accurately understand how much time has been spent on a given task or client so that we can bill for the tasks accordingly. Before I started the time spent on tasks was recorded on the free version of toggl and collated manually. Since using the starter plan, we have saved days worth of combined time.

Toggl review by Marcus U.
Marcus U.

"Use Toggl for hourly billing tracking"

What do you like best?

The reporting features make it easy to know what to put on your invoices. Both weekly and monthly.

What do you dislike?

I wish the Project search when starting a new timer/adding a new task worked better. I have to either scroll through a big list of (current) Projects and (all) Clients to find what I'm looking for. Or I have to type it in. I'd rather have the most recent Project be at the top of the list. And the Client management is lacking. It's basically just a tag. No way to add additional info, to archive them, etc. It'd be nice to be able to have contact info for each Client. And being able to archive them is a definite need. If I had a Client a year ago I still want to see data on them, but I don't want them to show up in my Project list anymore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl does what I want, but maybe try the trial and/or other products to see which one you like best. I'm sure function-wise they're all pretty similar, so it's probably the UI and UX that makes the difference for you.

This gives me an easy way to track the hourly work I do for my clients. I use mainly the web app, but the mobile app is also pretty good. At the end of the month I run the "previous month" report and it shows me exactly how much to bill my clients.

Toggl review by Keiko Z.
Keiko Z.

"Perfect For Freelancers & Small Teams"

What do you like best?

Toggl offers several ways to track time, from a mobile app to an extension on my Chrome browser. Another feature I especially like is that Toggl will remind me to track my time, which is especially important once I start getting head down into project mode. Being able to categorize my clients and projects also gives me a smarter picture of just how my time is spent between clients, allowing me to make adjustments along the way.

What do you dislike?

Toggl offers powerful and robust reporting, but much of it is locked behind a paid subscription. For my purposes, the free version is enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free version is sufficient for most sole proprietor freelancers, but if you're planning on using it to do track time for small teams, you'll definitely need to upgrade to the paid version.

One of the biggest benefits to using Toggl is having a realistic picture of how much time I spend on various projects and clients. As such, I've become much better at pricing my services knowing with certainty how similar projects compare in terms of my time.

Toggl review by Shahbaz T.
Shahbaz T.

"A really easy to use and intuitive time keeping solution."

What do you like best?

The ease of use. You have the ability to track time or log time - whatever you find suits you. The ability to report time is also really good and allows me to report my daily timings to my seniors without no hassle at all.

It also keeps a log of your entire history and that's invaluable on its own.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much to dislike at all. If I was nitpicking it might be that when you select a time entry that has been previously saved it doesn't carry over the corresponding tags. But, again, this is nitpicking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend the use of Toggl if you're looking for an app to track/log your time. Especially if you need to produce reports of your time for seniors.

I use Toggl to track/log my time and report it to my seniors every month. I specifically use the reporting functionality to export a record of my times during the month and they really appreciate it.

Toggl review by Sara O.
Sara O.

"Fantastic, if you can remember to use it!"

What do you like best?

I love the feature to automatically start the time on your assignment, and that you can go back and edit it (for when you inevitably accidentally leave it running).

What do you dislike?

There doesn't seem to be an auto-off. The program should have a feature where it realizes that if it has been running over 16 hours (like when you go home for the evening) that work is no longer being completed. Maybe a pop-up like Netflix has "are you still working on ____ Project?"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember to use it! It is a fantastic program, if you can remember to use it, which is our companies biggest problem. It would be ideal if in the future Toggle has prompters to remind you to use it when the program is open, but in the meantime the more you use it, the better your results will be. Log everything, even those "minute" long projects you end up doing for clients.....all day long.

Definitely realizing how much time we are spending on clients and billing accordingly. Before Toggle, it was hard to gauge how much time we were really spending on our smaller clients- but after Toggle it became clear that some of our clients we end up spending large swaths of time on for different projects. Having the Toggle reports has made it easy to communicate what projects we are working on and how long they are taking. It is especially rewarding at the end of a large project (we just had a server migration) to see how many hours and different people were involved in a project.

Toggl review by Tiffany H.
Tiffany H.

"Great time tracking tool for freelancers"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a really straightforward way to track your time when you are doing freelance work. It was really user-friendly and helped me to see how I could be more efficient with my time as well as how much I should charge for my services. It also helped me track how much time I spend on non-work tasks, such as homeschool. I also like that it allows me to create and track specific client projects, tag my projects so that I can find them more easily, and gain access to helpful reports.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I disliked. I only tried the free version, so I wasn't able to try out all of the features. However, that has more to do with my budget than anything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say to just try it out. There is a free version, so it's not like you will lose any money if you decide it's not what you need. However, if it is something you need, it could be very helpful and provide you with great insight.

I honestly had no clue how I was spending my time. I didn't know how long it took to complete certain business tasks. Now I have a better idea, which not only helps me to plan out my workday better, but helped me decide how much to charge for my services and how many clients I could realistically work with each month.

Toggl review by Benjamin E. J.
Benjamin E. J.

"Easy to Use, but Could Use a Couple More Features"

What do you like best?

I like that it's simple to create a project and associate it with a client. As a solo freelancer, I don't worry about teams, but Toggl premium has that functionality.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Toggle freemium had the ability to associate costs, so I can come up with an hourly rate per project. I suppose I could use it for billing, but I have to use Upwork Time Tracker for official time tracking and billing anyway, and the $9/mo Starter rate is not in my slim budget right now. The Windows 10 app and Chrome widget need more functionality.

I was looking for a way to increase my productivity. As a freelancer, time management has always been a challenge for me, to be self-motivated. Toggl is so easy to use that I almost can't help but use it. When I've got a project timing, Toggl keeps me on track and helps me see where I can adjust billing per project or when I'm spending too much time on something.

Toggl review by Eric W.
Eric W.

"Perfect for consultants with multiple clients/projects"

What do you like best?

I love my job as a project-based engineer, but I always hated tracking my time. Toggl helps immensely! I select the project/client I'm working on, make a quick note of what I'm doing, and press start. Often my phone will ring and it will be a different client, so I quickly press stop and start a new timer. After the call is done, I make a note of the client.

Even better - a colleague asks me to take a look at something on their computer for another project. I end up helping them for a significant period of time, but I have no idea what time I rolled over to their desk. When I get back to my desk, the desktop Toggl app informs me I've been idle for 30 minutes and asks if I want to add this as a new entry. Why yes I do, Toggl, thanks!

At the end of day, Toggl helps me aggregate small slivers of time into billable chunks of time.

The free version is good enough for me!

What do you dislike?

Using the desktop app while offline is less than ideal. It's primarily a web-based application, so it's really designed to work best when you have an internet connection. Not a big deal, I almost always have an internet connection.

The Windows desktop app is sometimes a bit buggy and will occasionally crash. Since the time tracking done in the web app, I don't lose any tracked time, so it's not a big deal, just an annoyance.

Accurately tracking time to determine billable hours for multiple projects and multiple clients

Toggl review by Maria W.
Maria W.

"Simple Time Tracking Done Right"

What do you like best?

Toggl allows you to get as granular as you need, or as general as you need, without forcing specific behavior. Use the timer or estimate time spent after the fact for those times you forget to set a timer. Easy to read robust reports without having to spend a penny.

What do you dislike?

Still easier for me to use the web-based solution than the desktop app, so I have to have a browser open.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to keep track of your output on specific tasks, from how long it takes to walk your dog to how much time you spent last month checking the intern's math, you can do it with Toggl. Nothing to be intimidated about, no bells or whistles; just the light touch needed to keep track of yourself without strapping on concrete boots.

When you switch gears repeatedly in every single work day, being able to track how much time you're spending doing specific tasks can be daunting. I've tried other timers, time trackers, and spreadsheets. I've tried Pomodoro timers. I've tried everything, and I like Toggl best (and it's free for me.)

Toggl review by Jonathan B.
Jonathan B.

"Easy-to-use and reliable time tracking"

What do you like best?

I like the clean interface and the reliability of the built-in timer. Even if you accidentally close your browser tab, they keep the timer going, so you can log in later and pick back up where you left off. I also like how it's easy to add tags or assign a task to a specific project, and the reporting features they offer make it clear where your time went. And for my personal use it has been free. I've been a happy user for years.

What do you dislike?

They launched a new design some months back, and it is good, but even now I slightly prefer the old design. It's not a big deal though.

I need to accurately track my time on tasks and projects, and report this to my team.

Toggl review by Matt B.
Matt B.

"Great software for Time Tracking"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and mobile apps makes it readily available for whenever employees to to log their time. Additionally, it is easy to set up new user so adding an temporary employee isn't a headache.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything to dislike because the software is very simple. It will track and log time but that is it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really easy to try out so it is worth a trial period in order to figure out if this software is right for you.

We are a company who needs a crew of people that can start working from anywhere and not have a location based clock in system. Also the crew isn't consistent so being able to keep track of the hourly work of part time employees is great.

Toggl review by User

"Toggl makes it easy to keep track of your time"

What do you like best?

I really like Toggl extension for my Chrome Browser. This makes it easy to keep track of my time. Push notifications also remind me to track my time if I'm in the middle of a project and I forget to start tracking my time. It's very convenient.

What do you dislike?

At this point I really haven't found anything about Toggl that I dislike. It might be useful to implement a pomodoro timer when tracking time to increase productivity or possibly push notifications that share time management tips for users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend using Toggl. There is no learning curve to use the software and it is an effective and efficient method for tracking your time.

With Toggl I am able to keep track of billable hours for clients. Another key benefit I've noticed with Toggl is the ability to simply track my patterns online. I can use Toggl to conduct a time audit of my day to identify any major time wasters or tasks that take an excessive amount of time.

Toggl review by Michaela P.
Michaela P.

"The best app to track your time"

What do you like best?

I love the user experience and how easy it is to start using this app. I can track my time by the client and by project and see many different reports.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the login page is not as intuitive to find as I'd like to. I'd love to stay logged in on my home computer. It takes me a couple of clicks to get started.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with Toggl. I'd recommend setting up clients and project upfront. I started with that feature later on and found it really really helpful. It's really easy to use even for teams. I use the free version and it's enough for my needs.

Organizing time spent by project and by client. I don't have to write anything down. I just press the start button when I start working on a project and press it again when I'm done. I don't have to calculate manually how long I spent on each project. I write a short description and select a project from my list and that's all.

Toggl review by Michiel L.
Michiel L.

"Toggl makes business and personal timekeeping a cinch"

What do you like best?

Easy to use user interface to manage multiple projects. Timer is very stable - never had any issues with the time crashing or not capturing what I needed. Love the feature to notify me if it seems as if I let the timer run.

What do you dislike?

When using detailed reports, the start and stop times of a timer run does not always show up. This makes validating times recorded by other that I check difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool and easy to use. Make sure everyone remembers to start and stop timers!

I use it to keep detailed track of consulting work and use the detailed report outputs to generate the data I need for invoicing.

Toggl review by Jill T.
Jill T.

"Easy to use and beautifully simple interface"

What do you like best?

I love that I can log in with my google account and don't have to remember another username/password. I can set up different projects quickly and easily and have found it helps me to improve my time estimates.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I forget to stop timing on a project. (I can manually edit this though.) Also I haven't hit on a way to account for those little things that interrupt my workflow (unexpected phone call or quick request from a colleague).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I only use the basic version and have not used all of the full features.

It was eye-opening to see how much time I actually do spend on projects. I was underestimating the amount of time it actually takes.

Toggl review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Simple and easy. I like it."

What do you like best?

This tracker does what I need. I can use manually track time or turn on the timer (my favorite) to track where I'm spending my time. And I can add it to a certain client and a certain project for that client, so that later, I can check out the reports and find out where the time is going and if I'm spending too much or not enough, or better still, if I'm charging enough for the project. And it's easy to use. The interface is easy. Couldn't ask for much more, really, from the free version.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I have tried out so far is something I dislike about this timer. I can use an extension or the web app. I have different "workspaces" to use for different purposes (like work and personal or school and home). Nothing bad to say!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like this product because you don't have to buy the pro version just to get what you need out of it. It does have some awesome pro features that I think would be immensely helpful for those that have the ability to afford that, but for freelancers and smaller businesses, it works just fine to determine where your time is being spent.

Since it's a time tracker, I'm using it to find where my time is going and if I need to adjust anywhere to be sure that my prices are in line with the amount of work actually goes into a project, along with telling me which task takes the most time so I can adjust going forward if I need to. It's been critical in improving my profits.

Toggl review by Administrator

"Beware of updates to Premium"

What do you like best?

Its a good application, but the Customer Service always tries to change your plan. I have around 30 members and one of the ask for premium accounts and automatically they change all the accounts. We didnt use it and 6 months later we became aware of the change and we have not been able to go back. We have asked for the money back and they do not give them.

What do you dislike?

It can not be that someone from the team asks for a demo and they change the whole team to Premium which is a lot of money. They do not take care of the customer and do not show proof that we approved the change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware of the questions as they changer to upgrade and bill you without autorization

it marks you the time but it does not allow you to cross it with a billing tool to see the profitability of the projects. The integration with Jira is very bad tb.

Toggl review by Leo Y.
Leo Y.

"Toggl is great for keeping track of time"

What do you like best?

I like that it has reminders, because I always forget to start tracking time. It also has a desktop app that is really nice. Toggl integrates with my project management software and I can see reports in both apps. The customizable pomodoro timer is awesome as well.

What do you dislike?

Editing times seemed more difficult than it should be, but after using it for a while, I got used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The desktop app and pomodoro timer are very useful features for me.

I use it to make sure I'm not spending too much time on one project. I also use it to help remind me to take breaks.

Toggl review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Does what we need"

What do you like best?

It has a desktop application that makes it easy to track time - you just turn the timer on and off, switch from one project to another. It has a pretty intuitive user interface. The reporting lets you filter by whatever you want. And it lets you export summary and detail information.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. We don't integrate it directly into other systems, so I don't know if the integrations are good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good for small companies. I have a feeling a company would outgrow it eventually. We're 15 people and it's working fine for us. I imagine at 500 people we'd want something different.

Needed consultants to track time on the projects they're assigned to. It lets us know how long projects are taking and adjust our estimates.

Toggl review by Lauryn T.
Lauryn T.

"Great tool for tracking your time."

What do you like best?

I like that you can track your time not just based on what your doing but can separate different tasks by projects and create teams to help you not just track time, but assess where time is being spent and if your business is running efficiently.

What do you dislike?

It might take some time to set it up for your business based on the projects, people, and tasks you are trying to track.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool for time management and to track efficiency in your business.

Efficiency in general. Seeing where time is being spent, how much time, if there are any time suckers in my business and how to distribute work to be more efficient.

Toggl review by Michelle W.
Michelle W.

"A great way to keep track of time"

What do you like best?

• Toggl is very light weight and snappy. Some of the other programs I have used take a long time to load. Toggl loads fast.

• Easy to use interface.

• Good ability to tag projects and keep everything organized.

• Well designed desktop app.

• Clutter free design of app.

What do you dislike?

It's an excellent software. There is nothing to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it because it is easy to use, quick to load and very simple.

I am a freelancer and so use this to track how much work I have done. In the past, I used to keep manual records and would nearly always forget to fill them in, so I would have to spend much time try to guess the work I had done. With Toggle, I just tap a button and that's it! It is really easy to use.

Toggl review by User

"Good Time management app and very portable"

What do you like best?

The Toggl app is very non-intrusive and does a great job at letting you track what you're doing both at your computer and on the go. Also, it has really good API support.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had better to-do list integration of some time or another, but the closest I've found is manually configuring something with Workflow for iOS. Also, the mobile app, while it is improving, still has some ways to go. Also, if you forget to log your time, going back and editing is somewhat of a pain

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend looking up Federico Viticci's article on MacStories on the API; he has some workflows that really make the user experience much better on mobile. Also, I recommend listening to the podcast Cortex; they talk quite a bit about time tracking from time to time. I believe the hosts' recommendation is start by tracking your work alone, and, as it happens with GTD, it will spill over and you'll start tracking your personal stuff too. Also, don't sweat not tracking *Everything* 100% of the time. More is better, sure, but even when you forget to time track, that tells you something in and of itself.

It's great for just keeping track of the use of your time, and it has very nice ways to look and export your data.

Toggl review by Monique L.
Monique L.

"Great user experience for time-tracking but don't expect anything else"

What do you like best?

Time-tracking features. User interface. My favorite part of Toggl is the on-the-fly tracking to projects. For instance, you can start tracking time without selecting a project, and select a project later. Whereas, all other trackers I've tried require the workflow-interrupting task of entering details of the project before you can start a timer for the work. The interface is slick and super easy to manage.

What do you dislike?

No invoice generating and poor collaboration features. As an example, you can't edit documents with other team members or generate invoices. I wanted a solution that allowed me to track time to a project, collaborate on that project, and have other users track their time, then bill my clients with a couple clicks. Also, the reports were okay but selecting time frames was inconvenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no invoicing so be prepared to copy and paste or export data to your invoicing platform of choice. Also, there is only very basic collaboration tools.

Time tracking was the best part. I tried to use it for invoicing and project management but I found better platforms. I stopped using Toggl mid 2017.

Toggl review by Kayla B.
Kayla B.

"Good for analyzing rates"

What do you like best?

I think my favorite feature of Toggl is that I can easily track multiple client projects at the same time. I also like that you have the option to use a reporting tool, which comes in handy when you're analyzing your hourly rate.

What do you dislike?

I haven't explored enough of Toggl to figure out what I dislike. I haven't had a chance to use the team tools, since I primarily work alone and don't contract any of my assignments out to other writers or editors. I really don't have any complaints! I think it's an efficient and good tool to have in your tool belt if you're involved in contract work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your work is in any way, shape, or form related to an hourly paycheck, give this a try. I think it's a great resource for learning exactly how much time you're spending on certain projects. And make sure you track your meetings, too. If you like to know exactly how much time you put into things, and want to streamline your processes to make the most of your time, Toggl is definitely worth trying.

It may sound minor, but being able to analyze how much time I'm spending on projects helps me better quote future clients or future projects. If I assume a project will take me 5 hours and I bill $200 for it (assuming $40 an hour), but it takes me 10 hours, I have a problem. This helps me course correct with accurate information, instead of using guesswork. It helps me value my time more, and stay focused so I can hit the right numbers.

Toggl review by Ralph d.
Ralph d.

"Granular Task Tracking made Super Easy"

What do you like best?

Minute-by-minute tracking of Tasks across Projects and Clients makes it super useful. Ease of use helped accelerate the deployment within the company. The floating time ticker widget on the desktop app is a bonus! The free version should meet most of your time tracking requirements. Idle time tracking is great to have.

What do you dislike?

The license fee is sky high, should one choose to migrate from the free plan to a paid one. Apart from this, there aren't any glaring 'misses', even in the free version.

Time tracking across Clients, Projects, and Tasks, especially for a small team or function within a team, is very easy even for new users.

Toggl review by Leah A.
Leah A.

"Easy to use time tracker & great reporting"

What do you like best?

Pros

• User-friendly

• Easy to set-up clients and projects

• Ability to color code different projects

• Mobile version and desktop sync

• Reporting is great - ability to get high-level report or very detailed

• Ability to tag tasks

• Free version has a lot to offer from a time tracking and reporting standpoint

• Ability to filter reports based on clients (and teams if you get the paid version)

• Ability to export reports in excel whether is be the summary or detailed report

• Provides a great dashboard so you can see a snapshot of where you are for the week based on client

What do you dislike?

• I can not figure out how to add the task as a common used field like the projects can be. This might be a free versus paid version as I am using the free version.

• Honestly, out of all of the time trackers I have used, toggle seems to be listening to their customers and updating their software on a consistent basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great whether you are a one man band or have a team to keep track of client/projects/hours.

• Although I am using the free version I have other freelancers I outsource to use this software and they can easily export their report and send it over to me at the end of the week.

• Has saved me a lot of time because there is not as much manual entering like before.

• I have the ability to be able to easily track time on client projects - when i upgrade I will be able to track billable versus non-billable hours which will be even better.

Toggl review by Nhi L.
Nhi L.

"Good time management"

What do you like best?

Having multiple platforms such as window app, web, mobile app

Many premium features offer at no cost

Friendly interface

Offering unlimited projects

Integrating with so many other programs

Tracking my productivity day by day

What do you dislike?

This application is easy to handle with so I found few troubles in taking advantage of it, However, you have to pay for a commercial version if you are in a large team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This app will be a better choice for companys with multiple tasks and projects.

It's also more suitable for freelancers who usually deal with a number of projects.

It's free so everyone can easily access to Toggl

It helps me manage my time on a task or a project.

I can actually improve my productivity

In conclusion, it is a simple and effective app I ever found

Toggl review by Yuri M.
Yuri M.

"Excellent way to self-title work times"

What do you like best?

The ability to name and categorize my personal projects either by client or by project is key to my work. The number of managers and projects that I work on makes it confusing to try and track projects. The visual graphs and weekly times of all is something that I like and highly value in Toggl.

What do you dislike?

Not much of a dislike, but I would love to have a minimized application/window to be able to keep it in the corner of my eye while also having it visible. It's difficult to keep switching back and forth between windows. Even a small taskbar icon to be able to easily and quickly access the start/stop feature would be extremely helpful.

Because I'm not on the clock for many of my projects, it's great to be able to tell my supervisor the specific hours that I've been working on a project and where the bulk of my effort was focused.

Toggl review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"Toggl Versus MyHours"

What do you like best?

Toggl has pretty dashboards and allows you to track your hours and categorize them into projects. I like being able to hit the start button and leave it be.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Toggl does not have an option to create task related payment differences. In my line of work, I do various tasks that get different payment rates. Having to create individual projects for each task and client was a big job and resulted in LOTS of "projects" even for only a few clients. Then I had to go into each project and enter my pay rate manually. There are many ways to improve this feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on the way you track your time - if it's task based or project based - Toggl might be a great fit for you. I will continue to use it, but would love to see the task based pay rates introduced and an easier way to update pay rates across multiple projects.

I track hours using Toggl and report them to my superior. One benefit is being able to write detailed descriptions within each task.

Toggl review by Achilleas K.
Achilleas K.

"Tracking time using Toggl"

What do you like best?

I am using the chrome toggl plugin to track the time spending in project tasks. Also, i have installed the latest ios toggl application in my iphone. I am using both desktop and mobile apps. I have not tried the premium version yet, however i am satisfied with the free version.

What do you dislike?

I have not found any problem until today. Maybe the ability for automatic tracking can be a future feature. Or the chrome plugin can detect inactivity and stop the tracking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend to use Toggl for tracking your projects. The latest ios free application is easy to use and the chrome plugin also. There is also a premium version but i am satisfied with the free version. I have the feautres i need.

You can do time tracking per project, time tracking per client and you can add other members of your team. Time control and time spending is necessary for project management. I have not used the premium version but for larger companies and larger teams maybe is necessary to buy the premium version. The premrium version can create reports for which projects are profitable, which employees are the most efficient. This is out of my personal scope.

Toggl review by Oliver H.
Oliver H.

"Helps me making sure that I don't waste my time"

What do you like best?

The biggest benefit of toggl for me is that I learned how I usually spend my time and could improve that. By removing unnecessary meetings and time-wasters I can now focus on real productive work.

What do you dislike?

The macOS app is definitely a help but could be a little bit simpler and also show the last time entries directly in the popup menu to continue working on them. Similar to the online application where I just click on the start button of an existing item to continue working on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to define the right projects before you start using Toggl. I at some point had to rename and create new projects and it took my a couple of hours to move the old time slips to the correct projects.

Toggl allows me to save time and definitely increases my productivity. It also gives me a great feeling as I can finally see how much of my day I spend on different things.

Toggl review by Elizabeth S.
Elizabeth S.

"Toggl Review"

What do you like best?

I like that toggle can be accessed on your cell phone and is continuous. It really assists in tracking our internal ROI and profitability with tracking my teams time on projects we have scoped out to clients. It's real-time and user friendly. It's easy to add projects, the type of projects and sub-projects under a clients name.

What do you dislike?

Toggl recently went through and update and it will group likewise projects together. I was having a hard time going back into my toggle and seeing what time in the day I was doing what, come to find you and remove the feature. I wish it was made more apparent as everyone on my team was frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great Tool for project Management and tracking hours of your team in consulting.

Tracks profitability and ROI very easily - you can pull reports from Toggl and run analysis from Excel.

Toggl review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"Easy way to keep track"

What do you like best?

As a person who bills by the minutes used Toggle allows me to keep track of every project I'm working on. I love that I can stop and start without losing track of hours spent.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far but I've only been using it for a few weeks now. It seems to hit all the right buttons in terms of managing time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. Sometimes the simplest tools are still the best. There are a lot of ways to keep track but being able to name each project or task and go back and forth will keep you on target. I'm amazed at how much time I wasn't accounting for.

I'm keep track of time spent on my clients. The benefits are that I get a more accurate picture on the hours used instead of just estimating. The big bonus is being able to name a project and stop and start throughout the day.

Toggl review by Jake D.
Jake D.

"Simple & Effective"

What do you like best?

I like the integrated desktop app for Toggl. I can track my time through a web browser, my iphone, or the desktop app and the timer is synced and running directly anywhere I am logged in.

I especially love how easy it is to assign a project and client to any task I'm doing so at the end of the month, it takes two clicks to see all of my billable hours sorted by client. It makes my billing so quick and smooth.

What do you dislike?

So far I have not found anything I don't like about Toggl - and I don't even pay for any premium features. It works simply and I am able to do everything I need to do without paying a dime.

I did have one instance where the desktop app was telling me that it wasn't compatible with Toggl anymore because of an update, but it worked itself out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use Toggl as a solopreneur. My review does not include details on team implementation for Toggl. If the team functionality is as good as the overall quality - you won't have any problems with Toggl!

I am able to track billable hours with the click of a button. And multitasking is no problem because I can start and stop the clock if I step away from my desk. That is especially helpful because I work from a home office and sometimes get interrupted.

Toggl review by Chelsea B.
Chelsea B.

"Track your time and plan for the future with Toggl!"

What do you like best?

I like that Toggl allows me not only to track my time spent on tasks but it also allows you to edit entry times if you happen to forget to manually stop the clock.

What do you dislike?

The way items are categorized can be somewhat of a confusing process but easy enough once you get the hang out of

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest paying for the premium version as the basic version is great, however I know there are a lot of features and benefits to going with the paid version.

We use the time to show how much time is used towards particular project and it also serves as affirmation for new staff hires as we can show that they are needed

Toggl review by Jonathan S.
Jonathan S.

"Easy to use time tracking! Get realistic data on time spent on tasks"

What do you like best?

It's quite simple to incorporate into your daily routines. Once installed to your chrome browser, it's quite easy to start and stop the timer on any task you want to track. And to make it even easier, they have a number of integrations to make tracking specific tasks are easier. For example, we connected our trello boards, so when we open a card in Trello, there is a button to start the timer, and the title of the trello card is auto-inputed to the toggl input. Very easy to go back and get data on how long a task took.

When we first switched, I thought there might be some lost time in between tasks, while we switch over to the next one and open the screens and info needed, but adjusting the timer start and stop times is done very easily, meaning you can make sure you don't miss any time.

What do you dislike?

I had all my work things setup on Safari (even though I know it's probably not the best for digital marketers), and Toggl doesn't work on Safari, so I had to make a big switch to use a different browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try on a small scale. There are a number of powerful features, but if you try them all at the start, toggl does take a bit of learning, so it might become overwhelming. Start small, maybe even with one or two clients or projects. From there you can get hang of it and figure out what you want to use and what you're rather not. Then you can scale and incorporate more on toggl.

When we do checkin calls for strategy planning, the dashboard on toggl allows us to easily open up stats on each team member, each client, or each individual task to get accurate time stats, and make predictions off those.

Toggl review by Lisa K.
Lisa K.

"Keep on task with Toggl"

What do you like best?

Toggl's ease of use is one of its best features. I love being able to use the desktop app, or the website, or the iPhone app as needed to quickly start and stop any time tracking activity. I've been a loyal user for years and the simplicity of Toggl is truly remarkable.

What do you dislike?

There was a recent update to the interface that I'm still working my way through, and it changed some of the customized colors I had set for clients and projects. I also discovered that I can no longer use the "Continue" button on tasks, and rather each time I stop and start something it creates a new entry. This is going to wreak havoc with my invoicing system, so I am currently looking for alternative solutions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prior to the latest changes, I used to recommend Toggl wholeheartedly to anyone in a similar situation who needed an easy way to track time. Now, I can recommend it with some reservations. I still find it to be one of the simplest and easy-to-use time trackers out there. However, for those who need to constantly start and stop tasks AND who integrate timing with billing software, the latest changes will cause some serious problems. Clients don't need to see 10 time entries for one task on a single day, but that's what Toggl will pass to your billing software. So unless that problem is resolved, I can't fully recommend it to those whose needs mirror mine.

I have dozens of clients, and in any given day will do work for up to a dozen different clients. This requires organization and the ability to quickly track a few minutes here and there without much effort. Toggl allows me to do that easily and seamlessly, incorporating with my billing software (Freshbooks) so I don't have to worry about manually creating invoices either.

Toggl review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"Wonderful Time Tracking App For Freelancers"

What do you like best?

The ability to assign different projects to clients and color code them as needed has been a huge help. I also love the weekly emails detailing just how much time was worked. As a freelancer, this has really helped me stay focused and track the amount of work I'm doing.

What do you dislike?

I have been using another app to block websites that distract me from doing work while I am timing myself and perhaps having this tool built in to Toggl would be a wonderful addition. I would also like it if the project I'm working on could stay in the "what are you working on?" spot until it's changed rather than having to choose it each time I start again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would love to have a built in tool that blocks distracting websites to be used while tracking time worked.

By tracking my time, my mind is tricked into staying more on task which is the biggest problem it has solved for me. I also wasn't sure of just how much time I was spending and this has been a great way to overall see the number of hours spent on each client and project.

Toggl review by Consultant in Management Consulting
Consultant in Management Consulting

"Consultant's use of Toggl"

What do you like best?

the simple functionality of the timer. I can track anything from phone calls to my work

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way for me to input my time entries directly into my company's time system. Alerts and notifications when my time has been running over 5 hours or so would also be helpful. Or perhaps when the total time for a day reaches 8 hours? Sometime it is accurate, but sometimes I have just left the timer running. Currently an alert is sent if the timer is left on over night.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use toggle to supplement my company's formal time entry system. It's not required by my company, but it makes my record keeping more accurate without extra effort.

I am in client services so the majority of my work gets billed directly to a client. Toggl allows me to more accurately track this time so that I can ensure I am billing the correct time to the client - which is beneficial to me, my company, and the client.

Toggl review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Toggl Review"

What do you like best?

I own a graphic design company with one partner. One of the biggest challenges is splitting the money that we make, and Toggl has helped us SO MUCH with seeing how much time each of us spent on different projects. It's also great to gage how much time it takes to do a certain type of project. Also has great reporting.

What do you dislike?

There's honestly nothing about Toggl that I dislike, It's so user friendly, has great reporting and has solved a lot of business problems!

Recommendations to others considering the product

You don't have to pay the premium if you have a small team. The free version works just fine.

One of the biggest problems for freelance graphic designers is figuring out what to charge the client for your work. When it comes down to it, they're not only paying for your expertise, but your time. I've realized Toggl allows me to track every minute I spend on a project. Then I can gage what to charge next time I do a similar project.

Toggl review by Asaf E.
Asaf E.

"A very simple and elegant solution"

What do you like best?

THe best thing is that they did not explode the app with tons of features. Its dead simple. we use it at my office. I also recommended it to my freelancer friends. You just turn on the toggle and that's it! I am very pleased with this product as a service.

What do you dislike?

The windows app is a bit buggy still. Minimizing the window is a bit off. Animation are lacking. syncing needs some more development- sometimes you need to sync the app manually or close it and open it again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

friends, freelancers

We use it to track working hours of our workers in the company. also to track hours of missions. and to get analytics of the above.

Toggl review by Jet L.
Jet L.

"Great Time Tracker"

What do you like best?

The Toggl timer is very easy to use. It really helps put me into "work mode" when I start the timer. I like that I can download the data, and my clients love receiving an in-depth report on the tasks I've worked on. I also enjoy the color coding that I can apply to different projects. I've recommended this software to many of my colleagues.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about Toggl, but I'm not a fan of the skinny scroll bar on the right side because I often use my Wacom tablet which doesn't have scroll capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would love it if I could export invoices with my hourly rate right from Toggl.

As a remote freelancer, it is important that my clients see an in-depth log of the work I have done.

Toggl review by Josh C.
Josh C.

"Granular Time Tracking EVERYWHERE!"

What do you like best?

Toggl is constantly innovating and expanding, which sounds like an exaggeration for a time-tracking tool, but it's not. It's dead simple to use, is supported pretty much everywhere I need it (mobile app, desktop app, web app, Chrome extension, the list goes on...)

What do you dislike?

The only complaint that I have is that the mobile app doesn't seem to get quite as much love as the others. Sometimes laggy, but overall still a solid addition to the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try - there's no barrier to entry and their thoughtfulness shines through pretty quickly. We are perfectly happy with the free version at this point, but the paid version offers some real benefits if you plan to use it for client billing.

Keeping an eye on where our time is being spent, and subsequently where we're putting our workforce dollars.

Toggl review by Sarah W.
Sarah W.

"Easy time tracking anywhere"

What do you like best?

I love being able to track time for any project or client, and pull very specific reporting when it comes time to send invoices.

What do you dislike?

I often need to pause my time tracking and it creates a whole new time entry, which I find a little cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl is very easy to use, give it a try. It's very easy to pull reporting and summarize your week or month's worth of work, broken down by client and/or project.

Toggl allows me to track time spent on client projects from anywhere since it's browser based. And it's free, so very valuable to me.

Toggl review by Jakub C.
Jakub C.

"Surprisingly helpful"

What do you like best?

I love that this program is very simple and does everything what it should. It tracks time, but gives me ability to add tags and description to projects so it's easy to go through records later. It's extremly helpful in my freelance work where sometimes I bill my clients hourly - I didn't find better and easier way to do it. There is some premium version of Toggl, but free one is totally enough for me - there are no limitations on any important feature in it.

I also like that they have some funny features on their website, like achievement badges and articles with productivity tips.

What do you dislike?

To be honest - I can't find anything. This is time tracker so it's simple, can't think of anything that would be major improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it to anyone working freelance. It's useful event if you don't bill your clients hourly - it helps to check how valuable is your time. After using it for couple weeks I was able to guess more accurately how long some tasks will take and how much money should I get for it.

I started tracking time when I was trying to solve problem of low productivity and procrastination. I wasn't convinced that simple time tracking would be helpful at all but surprisingly it helped a lot (together with few other programs that are helping me to analize how I'm spending my time). It's also great for tracking worktime I do for clients I bill hourly.

Toggl review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Toggl makes time-tracking a cinch"

What do you like best?

Toggl is so easy to use! I was using it on my own before our company began having everyone log their tasks and time spent using this amazing tool. There are so many different options for tracking projects, clients, and tasks by name -- and the reporting is incredibly accurate, if you enter your data correctly.

What do you dislike?

There's not really anything I dislike about Toggl. You can set the timer to run and hit stop the minute you complete a task. It's super easy, and gives you (and your employer, in my case) a good idea of how you're managing your time. But it's great for individual users, too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl is so worth trying out! Give it a shot if you want to better manage your time.

Toggl helps my company figure out the average amount of time certain tasks take to complete so that we can set basic parameters around how long people should be spending and flag outliers.

Toggl review by David M.
David M.

"The best time tracking software for my freelance jobs"

What do you like best?

Toggl is easy to use (now easier since autumn 2016 redesign) and has a lot of features in the Pro plan. But the best: It's well supported by other apps and software and it comes with the a chrome extension. With it, I can instant track any mail or issue without open the Toggl app itself. For example: Whenever I get an mail in Google Inbox, I can click the embedded Toggl icon to track time on this issue – Without the use of a pre configuration of clients and projects.

The redesign from 2016 comes with welcome changes. In comparison it's easier than before, looks awesome and it's clear to understand. Together with the feature set it's the best time tracking solution on the market for me right now.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app (Android) lacks of features. Some filters are missing in the report section. Right now you can filter any issues by date or status, but it's not possible to show all open (active) issues by client. I reported this and I'm sure they will be working on it by time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Toggl a try in the free plan and install it's chrome extension. It need a little bit time to know all the features, but it's worthing. The team behind Toggl has first class support and they are always pushing the app forward. You can trust and rely on Toggl.

Before I became a freelance Front-end Architect, I studied a lot of tools and services to track my time and issues. None of them could really compete with Toggl.

Toggl review by Daniel R.
Daniel R.

"Simple but effective time tracking application"

What do you like best?

What I enjoy best about Toggl is the ease with which it allows me to track the billable work I am doing. I can quickly type in what I am working on, tag it with a few useful tags to be able to find it later (bug fixing vs code reviews, as an example) and assign it to a customer. Easily entering, stopping and starting tasks is essential when I just want an app to track what I'm doing, not get in the way of doing the work.

What do you dislike?

There are a few reporting features I would like, like grouping by tag when I am generating graphs, as I primarily use tags to categorize the work I do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend using the free features of Toggl first before diving in deep, I found that most of the features I needed were present in the free version, so I haven't yet needed to purchase the application. That said, new features and future re-design work are well communicated and implemented often, so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the app if there was a feature in the pipeline that I needed.

I use Toggl to track my actual time worked and how my time is spent for a few reasons. I use this information to bill my customers for hours worked, and I use the categorization to understand a breakdown of how much time I spend fixing bugs vs working with colleagues, working on customer support issues, etc which is great data to have during a retrospective meeting.

Toggl review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Toggl is a user-friendly timer."

What do you like best?

The timer feature. It's well organized, the UI layout is simple and intuitive. It's easy to see past time records, you can color code your projects, and you can organize it to group multiple time recordings spent on a certain project together. You can manually change, edit, or delete any time recordings if you've mis-recorded something - which is very helpful. If it's important to your job that you track time spent on various tasks, this is a really user-friendly, organized, and intuitive timer.

What do you dislike?

There's not much that I dislike about Toggl, although I will say I have mainly used it as a timer and I haven't delved into its other functionalities (such as supporting different clients, teams, or providing reporting).

I need to track my time spent on multiple projects for multiple clients, and Toggl has been the easiest tool I've found to do this.

Toggl review by Megan L.
Megan L.

"So easy to use, best way I have ever tracked my time."

What do you like best?

I love the portability and the ability to input start and stop times. It makes it easy for me to go back and finish an entry because I can look to see what time the call that interrupted me came in!

What do you dislike?

Wish the billing function was a bit more robust.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful setting up your projects. Mine got really messy after a while and it took a long time to retool everything.

Tracking time between multiple lines of business and being able to define my role within the organization.

Toggl review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use. There wasn't much of a learning curve for figuring it out and you can jot your time in very quickly. The website is also pleasing to look at. I've never had any problems with it working and it also has a phone app.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can get a little bit confusing when it comes to trying to view how many total hours the team spent on something over a given period of time. I can eventually figure it out, but it takes a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very approachable way to log hours, without it feeling overwhelming. It's easy to use and it works well.

I work at a PR agency and we need to know how much time one person (or multiple people) is/are spending on a particular client. This helps us gauge whether we are over or under-serving any clients and we can adjust as needed. Our boss reviews our hours all the time.

Toggl review by Claude G.
Claude G.

"Time tracking, in an intuitive way"

What do you like best?

No need for instructions on using Toggl.com to track you time since it's just way too easy to even call for "how-to" tutorials. Start the time tracker and stop it at the end. Add a project and details and voilà, your time is both tracked and easily added up, ready for you to prepared comprehensive invoices, later on... without forgetting anything.

What do you dislike?

Although the interface is highly legible, I'd like to be able to have bigger fonts for highlighting my projects (instead of just different colors).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just jump right in and start tracking your project right away, you can always change all the details you want, later on, including the time it took you.

When I work on my customers' web sites, I want to invoice them the exact time I've worked on their needs, not less, not more, that's what Toggl.com helps me do. And my customers appreciate the detailed invoices I can send them.

Toggl review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Quick, Easy, Efficient"

What do you like best?

I like that you can schedule your to-do list and keep tract of how efficient you are being with your time. It also allows for the option for the timer to stop when you are inactive which makes you well aware of how you are using your time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is no sidebar for timer or to-do list and thus you constantly have to refer back to the website itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely a great tool to keep track of your teams work

I am solving some remote work issues. I am the first in my organization to telework and Toggl allows you to create teams and thus keep track of each other's work time which had been of great help to my organization.

Toggl review by User

"Toggl keeps me on target"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use, reminds me when I've been idle or have forgotten to start it, and provides enough functionality in its free version for most needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish it made a noise when I forget to turn it off. Since I've generally wandered away from the computer, I don't see the notification window.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl is an excellent tool. I haven't experienced any bugs, and the free version provides enough features to meet most needs. I highly suggest it for an easy way to accurately track your hours, whether you're freelance or work for a company.

I'm able to accurately track my work hours. It helps me be a good employee because I can submit correct time logs.

Toggl review by Maria W.
Maria W.

"Good, but frequently crashes"

What do you like best?

The ability to track and title each task, the monthly reports, and the easy use

What do you dislike?

Frequently crashes, doesn't have repeat abilities, hard to pick which day/time, week starts on a Monday in the calendar and I can't change that. I wish it could easily track time based on where I am.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out exactly what you want to track, and if you are able to, use the stop watch ability.

I'm able to track my hours consistently, and title them. I've been able to view the hours monthly, weekly, and daily, which is good. There is a stopwatch available, but I do not have the ability to frequently go on my phone to track that.

Toggl review by Danny-J J.
Danny-J J.

"Great way to track time for contract workers"

What do you like best?

You can create different tasks and see where you are spending the most time. This is great to know where you might need to hire additional support

What do you dislike?

sometimes its hard to remember to switch tasks when you're in the flow of working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is a great tool to manage time for outside contractors and employees who don't clock in

This is helping me track my VA's time and work and what she spends the most time on. This also keeps me in the loop of what is the most and least time consuming work

Toggl review by Luis P.
Luis P.

"Made things a lot more simple"

What do you like best?

How easy and fast it is to get started and to make Toggl your day to day tool for tracking productivity.

I also like that there is a Smart APP you can download freely for use.

It already has great feature as a Free tool.

Good reports.

Constantly being updated and evolved.

What do you dislike?

It isn't great for editing/correcting old records or even creating an event from the past that you weren't able to register at the time.

Sometimes I have issues with the Desktop version while connecting to the site.

I have seen a bug in the Desktop and app, but they tend to solve this quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into the capabilities of the Toggl API. If you are able to connect things more directly, it'll make Toggl an even better solutions within your company.

Tracking my productivity.

Keeping a record of the use of my hours in a day.

Being able to transfer this information into transactional data for billing purposes.

Toggl review by Eleanor d.
Eleanor d.

"Great for keeping track of your time"

What do you like best?

I've set it up to prompt me after each 25 minutes (a pomodoro session). I find this helpful as if my mind has started to wander, it brings me back to the task at hand.

What do you dislike?

We have been unable to get the data out of Toggl automatically so are having to enter it manually into zenkit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install the browser extension.

Keeping track of time spent helps us to understand whether we are indeed focussing on our priorities or getting caught up in other non-essential tasks.

Toggl review by Nicola F.
Nicola F.

"User friendly tracking time App"

What do you like best?

It's simple and clean-looking; has a good integration with other platforms.

Allows you to organize the projects and tasks in a clear, structured way, definitely a plus for a organization-maniac like me!

What do you dislike?

I wish mass-editing would be easier and more user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a simple yet clean and well organized time tracking app, this will do the job.

Even if I'm not a freelancer, I still find it useful -especially when I'm working on multiple projects at the same time.

Thanks to Toggl I have a better overview of how much time a single task/project takes me and I can track my improvements over time.

I can easily keep track of how much time I#m spending on a task or project.

It's a good tool to have a detailed backlog of my improvements in time/quality.

Toggl review by Frances A.
Frances A.

"Tracking time for clients & projects"

What do you like best?

Toggl allows me to switch my time tracking easily for clients, projects, and interruptions throughout my workday. I love that I can send my clients reports so that they can see when and where my time is spent.

What do you dislike?

The Toggl App requires a little more of a learning curve since it doesn't function the same way as the PC version. I don't like that I am unable to download projects and add clients to the App version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl is easy to navigate, can apply to any line of work, and is a great tool for reviewing work history.

All of my team members are able to track projects for our clients in the same way to keep our work descriptions consistent. I can also share client hours and details with my boss for billing and communication purposes.

Toggl review by Adam L.
Adam L.

"Simple to use, has all the features"

What do you like best?

Easy to get team started tracking their time! Toggle has a browser extension, desktop app, and mobile app to make sure there's no excuse to not track what you're doing. I also like how 'realtime' all the apps are. When I start a timer, it is started across all the apps and I can interact with the timer wherever is easiest at the time whether it is the mobile, browser, or desktop app!

The design is also great and easy on the eyes!

The pricing is amazing for startups too, it's free for pretty much anything a team of % or less could need to be successful with a time-tracking solution.

What do you dislike?

As with any time tracker, it takes some getting used to make it part of the routine. There are so many options that deciding on how to use it is important early on. I wish it had more automatic tracking, without requiring setup. For example, the timeline feature does not always work for me as far as tracking what apps or websites I'm using on my computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It works everywhere, and does it all so it's really only a training/process challenge to make sure it's successful!

A new team doing new things and we're trying to understand where our time is going. Using toggl has begun to help us get a handle on our time allocation for customers and projects. It's great for transparency! It's great for transparency! It's great for transparency!

Toggl review by Guzyal G.
Guzyal G.

"Effective time tracking and time management tool"

What do you like best?

Toggl makes it very easy to track time both on an individual level to achieve personal goals and to collect data for your team or even a company as a whole.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an option to pin the app on the desktop on top of all other programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great little tool to have to track time spent on various tasks within a company and individually. DOes not require any additional training, very easy to implement and use.

Data collection and time tracking for separate tasks, projects to be used for analytical and budgeting purposes later. Improving individual time-management.

Toggl review by Sue B.
Sue B.

"A deceptively simple tool for recording your project timings"

What do you like best?

Toggl is well-designed and simple to use. Other tools are either pricey or overly complicated. Toggl's free plan is great for my needs at present.

The desktop app sits in the toolbar, and opens a very simple window listing the most recent recorded times.

The online workspace is also well designed and pleasant to use, and it actually packs a lot of features, even on the free plan. Upgrading naturally opens up a lot more features but I can't comment on those.

You can assign different colours to each project or client, which makes it easy to pick them out in the desktop app.

What do you dislike?

The toolbar mini app option to "continue" the timer is great ..but it only relates to the most recent project ...a dropdown of two or three recent projects would be really useful, to save setting each one up.

The pop-out form for entering project details and editing the timer etc is rather unstable, especially the drop-down task and project title lists. Which is why a choice of "continue" options would save a lot of hassle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We all forget to turn on timers or to assign time correctly when jumping from one thing to another. I've solved the problem with a different kind of timing app running constantly in the background that automatically records which apps and websites I'm using. It definitely helps when I need to fill in any gaps!

There are various timing tools and apps available but some are expensive and others overly complex. Toggl is really easy to use and surprisingly flexible for managing a range of projects and tasks. I don't usually charge by the hour, but it's still essential to monitor time spent on a job in order to offer a good service at the right price.

Toggl review by Amar K.
Amar K.

"Toggl helps me keep track of time!"

What do you like best?

After the day has ended, we are often left wondering what did we do throughout the day and why is there something always which is yet to be done. Toggl helps me to stick to my time plan and in getting the most out of my day.

Toggl has a host of features which are very helpful in filling timesheets and tracking the overall time spent for a particular project and a particular client. We can also add tags for easily retrieving the relevant tasks and timesheet information for the tags. The team functionality of toggl is very useful for anyone in a managerial role as it provides with an overall progress of the entire team and the effectiveness of each member of the team.

The reports extraction from toggl is very simple and easy to use, you can export in PDF/CSV/XLS, that is a big plus point while using toggl, you can use the reports for any other purposes as well.

What do you dislike?

The projects that I track sometimes have multiple components, and that is at times a bit tricky to track in toggl. The user interface for tracking different tasks under a particular project can be made better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not regret going for toggl. It does the job, i.e tracking the time spent on your tasks during the day. The UI/UX is pretty simple, can be better for tracking bigger projects/tasks.

Getting efficient at work is one of the most important benefits from toggl, also helps me in getting accurate data to help in billing.

Toggl review by Adriana L.
Adriana L.

"It just works"

What do you like best?

The possibility of adding different projects and prices per task

What do you dislike?

Lack of quick tutorials, I would love to discover what else can I do with Toggl

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've tried other tools like HubStaff (very invasive) and Toggl is the best choice for its simplicity and easy of use.

Toggl helps me to track my time. Tracking my time I can realize what are the tasks that are consuming most of my time and bringing me less revenue , so now I can effectively delegate or eliminate those tasks from my workflow.

Toggl review by Peter B.
Peter B.

"Great & Easy Time Tracker"

What do you like best?

This is simple to use and delivers great detailed reports that depending on how you set it up can offer a lot of details. The graphic reports are easy to generate and filter based on your need.

What do you dislike?

Some of the information that is hover text when viewing a report online is not present when the reports are printed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is straight forward and easy to use for quick detailed tracking. It is versatile and purpose driven.

I use this to track time that I spend with clients and the specific purpose of our meetings that fall into categories I established. Additionally, I then tag those meetings with individual details. This has improved my reporting and accountability.

Toggl review by Emeka O.
Emeka O.

"Easy to use time tracker"

What do you like best?

This tool is super simple and straightforward but provides so much value. It gave me a very clear picture of how I was spending my time and helped me learn to switch tasks WAY less frequently.

What do you dislike?

Team version was pricey for the company I wanted to use it with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The desktop app is easy to use and reminds me when I need to start my time tracking.

Helped me figure out how I'm spending my time so I can prioritize and focus better.

Toggl review by Gabrielle B.
Gabrielle B.

"I love Toggl!"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a simple and easy program to use to keep track of time of projects I complete for my VA clients.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike. I recommend Toggl to anyone that needs an easy and effective time tracking software.

I'm able to save time because by tracking time to see how much is being used for specific projects I can learn how to maximize my time better AND I can also charge more effectively.

Toggl review by Rebecca F.
Rebecca F.

"A must have tool"

What do you like best?

LOVE how it integrates into my workflow - I use to track various billable and non-billable hours and tasks, it's always there so it reminds me to track. Use for billing and reporting.

What do you dislike?

i have no complaints. i'm using the free tool, and if my billing becomes more complex, I would absolutely switch to paid version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

use it! i have already recommended to my students and friends.

I would get distracted since I'm online all the time, working on various projects. When I have my toggl on, it keeps me focused since I know 'the clock it running' so I'll stay focused on one task, then intentionally switch to another.

Toggl review by Susan B.
Susan B.

"A great overall time tracking experience"

What do you like best?

I love the option to color code projects and ability to make different categories for your projects. It's awesome to be able to pick the project you are working on from a drop down menu and get started quickly. The simplicity of the money sign button to indicate whether the project is billable is a great feature as well. It's also great for my team to see how much time we are spending per client, and makes payday a lot easier on everyone.

What do you dislike?

It takes a little bit to familiarize yourself with the system and utilize all the tools available to make the experience what it should be. Once you explore around though, it's a great organized system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to utilize all of the project organization functions! Toggl will do a lot for you, you just have to explore around a bit. It's a great tool for freelancers especially!

We were looking for a system to track hours for freelancers in a clear, concise, easy to bill way. Toggle came highly recommended to us, and after using MyHours, which isn't nearly as organized, Toggle proved to be a great investment for us.

Toggl review by Ramón Giovanny C.
Ramón Giovanny C.

"The best application for tracking your projects"

What do you like best?

The best thing about this application is its real-time synchronization of desktop or device to the cloud, which notifies you when the pomodoro is inactive, wondering if want to discard the fraction of time , mail notifies you if the session is accidentally activated, and lets you share tracking with development partners.

What do you dislike?

The reporting system lacks information when reporting final changes in the pdf does not include many featured, not sharing the traking in real time, in a public session, it would be great to integrate breakout sessions during the session, the application notify you when you should take a break between sessions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an application for tracking projects with potential to generate and share reports in real time, which sincronize with different devices, to notify if your session is open generating hours by accident, with the possibility of discarding downtime, with excellent interface and usability, Toggl is definitely what you need.

I can keep a detailed report project hours, I can evaluate my performance when developing a project, as well as see the progress of my team, my clients can see in real time the justified project hours.

Toggl review by Sean C.
Sean C.

"Easy & Slick Time Tracker: as simple or complicated as you need"

What do you like best?

When I first used it I was up and running in less than 5 minutes, easily accessible on all my devices, and nice reporting options and email notifications.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Toggl...

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free plan is ridiculously robust so it doesn't hurt at all to try it.

Tracking hours as an freelancer (to keep track of how long my own projects take), and also keeping track of remote work I do for clients (so they can confirm).

Toggl review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Time tracking without the big-brother effect"

What do you like best?

I think the customization features are very helpful. I work with clients and can distinguish each client with a different color, so when I look at my day, week, or month, I can get an immediate, easy idea of who's taking up most of my time. It's been great for having us see which hours are billable for each client.

What do you dislike?

I haven't experienced any major problems from using Toggl.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't used other time-tracking software in the past, but this tool is great for granting employees independence while still making sure everyone is spending time conscientiously. I like that there are no screenshots involved, which makes me feel more comfortable with the tool and less babysat. I think it's simple to use — I was worried that the time tracking itself would take up more time than necessary (and therefore become counterintuitive), but tracking projects is just a matter of a few short clicks per task.

This tool helps myself and others at my company see a visual breakdown of our clients — who we're spending less time on than we should be and who's eating up more of our day than they should be. It's wonderful for time management as well. We can more easily break up our days when we notice (in a concrete way) that we've been working for half a day on one project but still have several other tasks to prioritize.

Toggl review by User in Information Technology and Services