Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Toggl

(310 reviews)

Toggl is an online tracking too for freelancers, consultants, and small companies. It allows users to track the time spent on projects and analyze productivity.

Work for Toggl?

Learning about Toggl?

Toggl Reviews

Showing 312 Toggl reviews
Toggl review by Joey H.
Joey H.

"Time Tracking w/ Superior Reporting & Project Management"

What do you like best?

Toggl has so many little features rolled into it that just help to make a Project Manager's life easier. It has the basic time tracking abilities you'd expect from any competing software, but then goes a step further with Projects featuring tasks, that you can then mark as completed to avoid mistracking time on a project. A step even beyond that, Toggl features robust reporting so that you can easily see where time is going for your team. Tracking every second of our employee's time has never been a critical part of our business goals, but the ability to look back and see how long specific parts of projects generally tend to take is invaluable in the proposal writing process of any business.

What do you dislike?

It can be too constraining at times, and a little too "free range" at other times. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but there is a wide margin for terminology differing based on the individual. I can't really imagine this software being super scalable for teams larger than 20-30 people as a result of the drastic variances or necessary internal guidelines for tracking tasks/marking descriptions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Track everything and set stuff up at as granular a level as will be beneficial for reporting. You'll thank yourself later when you're looking back or trying to weigh the success of a project.

Easily keeping track of our time spent on projects. Quickly able to check metrics when it comes to time spent by our employees. And has been super clutch when it comes to tracking time for projects that are based on an hourly retainer.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Toggl
Toggl review by Eric S.
Eric S.

"Toggl is the Best Timekeeper for Personal or Team Use"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of starting/stopping the timer and all its integrations: Chrome plugin, Siri Shortcuts, Asana.

What do you dislike?

I don't like their mobile app as much as their desktop experience. It's harder to run reports and categorize timers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use all their integrations and plugins. I love using the Chrome plugin, Siri shortcuts, and Asana for task logging. For example, I have a Siri Shortcut that when I click on it from my widgets' window, it asks me what I'm working on, I choose a topic, and then it starts the timer for me without having to open the app. Another way I use it is in Asana. The Chrome plugin makes it integrate within each task of Asana, so I just click on the Toggl logo next to my task, it asks me to choose a category, and boom! It's tracking my time for that task.

I'm solving the problem of not knowing what I did that day and how to optimize my time. It also allows me to optimize my other teammates' time.

What Time Tracking solution do you use?

Toggl review by Creig N.
Creig N.

"Easy and efficient way for time keeping"

What do you like best?

One of the things I liked about this was the desktop app. It easily integrated with my outlook calendar and helped to pre-populate and time scheduled meetings and events. Additionally the desktop application will detect when you've been inactive and there is a timer running allowing you to keep or discard the time. Reports are easy to generate and see where your time is spent.

What do you dislike?

So I know the goal is to try and keep you doing one task at a time. The problem is that in my job I am constantly multi-tasking. Getting interrupted for a quick discussion on a project while I am working on another task, or in some cases while I am working through lunch. While I can go in and manually adjust the tasks so they reflect the overlap, I wish there were a way to keep multiple timers running at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This really is a great tool if you need to track time spent on projects. I have recommended this to people who also need to expense their time for certain projects. I actually have my sister using toggl while she is earning her hours in her internship. It's been a great tool for me and I will continue to use.

It was an easy way for my team to track project time and individual workloads. In only a month we were able to provide easy reports to our senior leadership that all of us had waaaay too much on our plates and that we needed additional headcount. As a result we were able to re0distribute the work on our team so that we were not feeling overloaded and we were able to be more efficient at the tasks we were assigned.

Toggl review by Thomas W.
Thomas W.

"Best timer application and service, hands down."

What do you like best?

The style, the functionality, the absolute ease of use in making sure that every minute of my freelance and contractor work gets tracked and reported so that I can get paid!

What do you dislike?

There are times that I forget to turn the time off. This isn't really a huge deal as Toggl emails you to remind you that a timer is still running, but by this point I have gone to bed and end up just stopping the timer and manually editing it the next morning to be the correct stop time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it on your mobile phone and use it always. If you don't track your time for work, how can you expect to get paid?! This app is available across the board. I have it installed on every device I use for work (that includes my tablet) and even though I only open it rarely on mobile, when I do use it, I'm extremely grateful it was available.

Tracking my time to get paid. This app is even used to track my downtime so that I don't spend too long not working during the main hours of the day. Recently I have also started using it to manage my gaming time and writing time when I have to work on new blog articles (even though these hours do not get turned in, but are mainly for personally reporting purposes).

Toggl review by Marly D.
Marly D.

"Really impressive time-tracking, Great UI"

What do you like best?

Toggle has a great user interface that is easy to navigate but is also super intuitive. There are a lot of little details and the ability to manipulate a bunch of different things, such as workspaces, clients, projects, people, and more. I like that I am able to download a report that is comprehensive, including all of the information necessary and is easy to read and export so I can provide it to clients or others. I LOVE that it has a desktop and mobile app as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't think the mobile app is as optimized as it could be. Otherwise, there isn't a lot to dislike. There are plenty of features for the Free version of Toggl and then there are additional, awesome features when you are ready for the paid version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Toggl for anyone who needs a comprehensive time tracking software for their business. This system is great for subcontractors, business owners, freelancers etc. If you want to provide time reports to your clients and employers, this is a fantastic way to do so. Businesses who need something more fleshed out should definitely consider the paid versions of Toggl as well.

I use Toggl for my subcontractors to time track and send me weekly reports. This allows me to monitor the project they work on and the exact time tracked so I can charge clients and pay the subcontractor accordingly. It is an amazing tool that is super clean and easy to understand for them and for me.

Toggl review by Mary W.
Mary W.

"Time tracking app with several features"

What do you like best?

At our company, it is important that we not only track time, but also track the project that time is going to. This helps us realize which projects and clients are taking up most of our time, and help us determine the ROI of our clients and our time. We like that you can attribute your time to a specific client or project, as well as add tags to help sort through your tasks. We use the tags for our 6 main services so we can pull reports about how much time we are all spending on each service.

What do you dislike?

The toggl app can sometimes be slow or buggy, and there are several updates. While usually quitting the app and restarting it helps, it can still be frustrating when you are trying to switch tasks quickly and can't because the app is being buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this product for those looking for a time tracking app. It has all features of a time tracking app that you would want in a product. You can track tie, attribute to projects, and tag tasks.

We are solving the general problem of time tracking - when are our employees working and what are they working? Overarching benefits include tracking profitability - which clients are taking up most of our time? We can use all of the reports and facts to generate actionable steps and goals for the next quarter in terms of maximizing our time.

Toggl review by Caleb D.
Caleb D.

"Great product for not letting time slip by + tracking time for client invoicing"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the desktop interface is to use. With a few clicks (or keyboard shortcuts) I can start a new task, name it, and assign a project.

I also like the weekly email reports Toggl sends me. With a glance, I can tell how much time I spent on various work responsibilities.

Reports are very easy to produce. I use them both to evaluate my own time and to determine how many hours a client should be charged for.

What do you dislike?

The desktop app sometimes jumps way down in the list of recorded time entries after I submit a new one. It's annoying, but doesn't affect my workflow much.

Toggl keeps me conscious of how long I've been at a current task. It motivates me to not slack off, but finish the work in a timely manner.

Toggl enables me to send clients invoices that are accurate to the second, giving them confidence that we are charging them fairly.

Toggl review by AMANDA S.
AMANDA S.

"A Stress-Free Way to Create Your Timesheet "

What do you like best?

Toggl has been beyond helpful to me as a freelancer. It allows me to jump from project to project, take breaks, and pick back up in any project where I left off, all while keeping an accurate, well-organized record of what I have done, when, and for how long. It takes so much stress out of time-tracking and record keeping.

What do you dislike?

At times, it does seem to be a little buggy. (For instance, lately, when I start up Toggl again after having not used it for several hours, it will tell me I am hours and hours into a project I haven't touched in weeks/months. I simply stop the timer and delete the entry, but it is a bit annoying to have to deal with.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to take advantage of all its organizational tools.

It makes it far easier to accurately invoice clients as a freelancer. It also provides excellent organizational tools, making it easier to keep track of projects, clients, or even group projects (it allows you to create teams so that you can keep all the time multiple people spend on a client in one organized space).

Toggl review by Scott D.
Scott D.

"Great Tool for Tracking TIme"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a great productivity app that we have been using at our company for a couple of years now. With Toggl, I can easily get reports on what my employees have been working on, improving the transparency in the workplace. In addition to providing transparency within the company as a whole, Toggl helps me stay more focused on completing my goals and tasks; I use a Toggl for my work schedule as well as my personal one, and I keep them under the same Toggl account. Using Toggl, I've learned how to become more productive.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an auto-generate report feature - this would make my life easier so I don't have to chase down employees for their reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot - I think you'd be surprised at how efficient your team will become.

We use Toggl to stay as efficient at my business as possible. As a small business, it is important to keep our overhead as tidy as possible and with Toggl, we are getting increased productivity out of everyone, since everyone's time is being kept now. Before, a person could spend an hour writing an email - now that takes less than ten minutes and they are on to the next task.

Toggl review by Cassandra M.
Cassandra M.

"Great concept! "

What do you like best?

I like the time keeping feature. Honestly it's what we use it for specifically. It's good for organizing projects and seeing where you're spending your time. We like that you can use it for keeping track of what is billable and not as well. The app is slightly more user friendly than the web based program.

What do you dislike?

I understand the method behind it but I don't like that the timer keeps going even after I've shut down my browser or the app. I understand that we wouldn't want to have to keep the tab open or keep refreshing the phone just to keep the timer going but on more than one occasion we've had hours go far higher than intended (and once overnight!) So that feature could use some tweaking (Possibly a time-out after x amount of time option? Or alarm reminders asking if you're still working?)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play around with it. We use the free version but I think the paid version probably has a lot of really cool features. It tracks days/hours/projects. Useful for someone self-employed with multiple clients or a team trying to track their admins time.

Again we're mostly just using it for the time keeping feature. We love the statistical breakdown of where we are spending our time and which projects we can spend more time on or cut back on.

Toggl review by Federico J.
Federico J.

"I can track my time and see how productive I'm being"

What do you like best?

I've used multiple time trackers in the past. Toggl has the best interface and ease of use that I've tried so far. Their browser dashboard is nice and easy to use. And their Mac app is super simple and streamlined, so you don't have to jump through a lot of loops to start tracking your time when you are working on a new task.

I like the breakdown of description > project > client. As a freelancer, this helps me organize all of my tasks and keep a record of what I've been working on and for whom.

I have tasks that I need to perform daily and the search autocomplete feature helps me find and pick the right task in a second.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I'll hit enter when the search autocomplete suggest the task I'm looking for, but then it wont' be recorded as such. This is super simple to fix, but that's about all I can think right now. There's not much to dislike about Toggl.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for a month and then see the reports. You'll be amazed at what you learn about your working habits.

Tracking my time and seeing what I've been working on and for whom. Learning if I'm pricing myself right after seeing how much time it takes me to do certain things.

Toggl review by Tim C.
Tim C.

"Toggl makes keeping track of time a breeze."

What do you like best?

I like how easy Toggl is to use. You simply hit the start button and start tracking your time. It even gives me reminders every so often to remind me to track my time if I've forgotten to start the timer. It's easy to keep projects separate with the color coding options. I can go online and view reports of all of my tasks and time and export them to csv or pdf. I also like the fact that it will keep track of the time I'm idle. So if I go away from my computer for a time and forget to stop the timer, when I return I get a notification from Toggl telling me how long I was idle, and asking if I'd like to keep that time or remove it.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about Toggl. Except maybe the number of clients you can have before you have to upgrade to the paid version. That and the fact that I'm not able to add my hourly rate for each client unless I pay for an upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an easy to use, simple, time-tracking app, then Toggle is for you.

I keep track of the hours I'm working on specific tasks for my clients, and I'm able to export those hours in a nicely formatted report to send along with my invoice. It helps me visualize those projects I'm working on and where I need to put in more time.

Toggl review by David R.
David R.

"Nice, quick and free solution for personal projects time tracking"

What do you like best?

Beautiful UI, Chrome extension work very smooth and is full of customization options.

Dashboard is nicely distributed and is easy to manage projects, teams and clients. Overall app performance and loading is fast compared to competitors like Everhour

Free plan is perfect for personal use and small projects highly recommended

Idle time feature makes time tracking more precisely and therefore more accurate reports.

What do you dislike?

Team prices are too expensive for small teams and not dollar based economy.

Manual mode is kind of confusing for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, there's a free version perfect for personal use, let yourself know your performance un your daily tasks.

Easy and fast time tracking for personal projects, nice mobile app very useful if you move through the city constantly for meetings or when commuting.

The management of idle time help us to understand procrastination and take actions.

Free solution alternative to Everhour.

Toggl review by Shaun T.
Shaun T.

"Versatile, User-Friendly, Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use. You can set a timer or enter time manually and it's easy to correct errors. You can set tasks and sub-tasks associated with a particular project to be able to track time across teams for an extended project. Reports are also very easy to generate, customize, and export. We have relied on this service since 2009 and it has been excellent in keeping track of time both for payroll and client billing purposes.

What do you dislike?

It may be a little too easy to edit past time - but this has also been a boon to those of our consultants who have had to postpone adding specific codes to their time in favor of meeting deadlines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended Toggl to several friends who were starting businesses or even just wanted a better way to track their time at work. It's very helpful in evaluating my own productivity since I can see how much time I'm spending on different tasks - and it's easy enough to use that I'm not spending a lot of time tracking my time. It's become automatic for me.

The archive of time and hours - even for employees who are no longer with us - helps us greatly with compliance for our government contracts. If a client has a question about our billing, we have the data easily available for them.

Toggl review by Rachel O. S.
Rachel O. S.

"A great, straight-forward system."

What do you like best?

I like that Toggl is not complicated. I make a system, I press the "start" button, and I track my time. It's easy to look back over and get all of the information you need.

What do you dislike?

I have no real problem with Toggl. I do not use the client function, so I can't speak into its quality, but everything I use in Toggl works well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for time tracking. This is not a task app. This is not an Asana competitor.

This is amazing for sending my tracking up the line. It also keeps me from trying to work on 6 projects at the same time. If I need to work on something else, I intentionally stop working on the first project, pause the tracker, and start a new tracker. Then, I can let my employer know exactly how long certain tasks take, instead of just estimating my weekly time usage.

Toggl review by Michelle D.
Michelle D.

"Got the job done for a free service"

What do you like best?

Toggl is pretty simple to use for my purposes. I am really glad to be able to simply track my time on different projects for free. Also, for a free service, the reporting and summary functions are great.

What do you dislike?

The entry can be a bid tedious. In a previous version, it was really simple to add time entries for a variety of projects on a past date. Now, you have to change the date for every single entry, which can be really frustrating, as I am someone who would back-log my projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely shop around, but if you are looking for simple tracking (especially for free), this service will do the trick.

I didn't use toggl for its budget tracking. My office uses Toggl to track our time spent on a variety of different tasks so we can see how we are spending our time and figure out how we should be spending our time.

Toggl review by Manikanta K.
Manikanta K.

"Easy Time Sheet Tracker"

What do you like best?

There are many timesheet apps which would be used on a daily, weekly and monthly basis whereas toggl solve the purpose of tracking each and every task of the routine along with their specific project. This will help us to reflect ourselves to improve our work style. Dashboard and the customized option to have a quick view of our productive efforts. Insights generated from the reports are helpful for the project improvement. Frequent notifications and weekly reports over mails are motivative factors from this application.

What do you dislike?

Multiple Workspaces, Projects, Clients, and Teams should be more user-friendly and billed projects process should be simplified. Restricting few advanced options to paid version has to be redefined. Toggl master certification course is impressive but not getting proper assistance to finish such courses for the free users. It would be great if free users get such opportunity to explore themselves to become subject matter experts to support fellow users from the toggl community.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended to all the executives who don't have specific tasks/timesheet tracker or wanna shift to lean methodological system. Team Leads and Managers can use this application which can help them to track their teammate's efforts and billing hours to do the cost-effective analysis for their projects.

Daily, Weekly and Monthly Time Tracking to evaluate the efforts and productive efforts. Generating the reports on the periodic basis. Frequent training sessions from the support team also helps the users to update on the application usage.

Toggl review by Rob T.
Rob T.

"The easiest time tracker I've found and we got 100% adoption"

What do you like best?

The simplicity

You can, in the paid versions, mark items as billable and report on them

Tagging, customers, clients, projects, teams, hourly rates, budgets... There's loads of flexibility to record deal work not just idealised ideas of work.

Charity discount.

Browser plugin creates time tracking buttons on loads of websites

Fascinating insights from the desktop app showing what program you've had open at any given time, your Facebook habit will be blown wide open

What do you dislike?

Kind of expensive on the face of it with tiered pricing 😪

Integration with teamweek should make this a world champ but instead they link clunky, unidirectionally and you have to manually move data (eg budgeted hours) from one to the other

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and if you are a team assume you will have to pay as the free tier just doesn't cut it.

The reason to try it is that whether your team use it accurately or not it's likely to be the decider.

Accurate recording of time spent on different tasks including for billable work.

We achieved this.

Toggl review by Evelyn-Alice T.
Evelyn-Alice T.

"Very useful "

What do you like best?

As a freelancer who is paid by the time worked it's the perfect tool for me to keep my working hours in check, it's very easy to use and what I like best is the reporting that tells you exactly how much time you spent doing what tasks. This also helps with your productivity.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a pause button. Sometimes when I start a task (start the clock) and something comes up, the only thing I can do is to stop the clock. Which is not that bad but I think a pause button would be more useful for short breaks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your time management isn't that great and you wish you had a better overview of what takes up most of your time, try Toggl. For me, it was exactly the tool I needed to keep my time on track.

At the end of each week, I have to send my clients a reporting on what I did for each project. This report includes also a time deduction from the time they booked. It is very important for me to keep a track of my tasks so I can deduct the time correctly. Toggl helped me get rid of the stress that involved keeping track of the time spent on different activities. I just start the clock when I begin a task and stop it at the end.

Toggl review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"Excellent tool for time tracking and exporting"

What do you like best?

This tool has made my life so much easier for tracking billable time when working on client projects as a consultant. I was previously using a Google spreadsheet but I really prefer being able to quickly access Toggl and start the timer or manually input and assign the project (based on what I am working on) to the time entry. Then I can export to PDF or a spreadsheet if I want. The reporting feature is so easy to use and provides a professional report that can be shared alongside my invoices I send.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would love to see would be the ability for exported time to be available in time increments other than the standard, for example, 1:30 for 1 hr 30 minutes -- for that to translate to 1.5 for those accounting offices and invoicing tools that use that incremental conversion for billing purposes. For this reason I do keep a separate conversion chart but that's ok. I have submitted that as a feature request already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a feature rich tool with a free-user plan to be able to test it out with at least one project for unlimited time so this is wonderful. I recommend trying it for a month and I guarantee you will convert over. There is even a mobile app to make life easier.

This just provides the level of professionalism and user simplicity I need so I can worry about managing my daily work vs. the tedious time-tracking of my prior method (spreadsheet).

Toggl review by Leo J.
Leo J.

"A great tools that would really use a nice desktop app..."

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use of their webapp, the reports it generates, it's really easy to setup and use.

What do you dislike?

The linux desktop app: it looks dated, it's not intuitive, it laggs a bit (used it on 3 diff laptops with the same result always), and some things are really not practical (tagging a task for instance is a potential nightmare on the app)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Activate the pomodoro mode right away: before this was an option on toggle I would forget it was on and let my counters run on for hours ... (the desktop app doesn't discard the time that has passed while the computer was turned off or suspended if the counter was on)

I want to track how much time I spend on completing tasks for my customers (I'm a freelancer developer) and prepare some bills to send. I also want to know how much time I spend/loose on some side projects. I like that it offers a pomodoro mode on the desktop app, I just wish it could be a little more "discret" and not pop-up an alert windows right in the middle of the screen 'cause it sometimes break my concentration and stop me in my thoughts while I'd have rather start the rest period a minutes later.

Toggl review by Michelle R.
Michelle R.

"Toggl is the Timer We Didn't Know We Needed!"

What do you like best?

I love that you can label the time that you log. I can look back at my time and see how much time was spent on various projects. This is super helpful for planning. I also like that the timer runs in the tab in my browser so I don't have to keep clicking back and forth to see how much time I've been working. I also like being able to manually enter my time, sometimes I forget to log in so it is nice to go back and fix it.

What do you dislike?

I was getting frustrated with all the bugs in the Toggl iOS app. However, I know those were just fixed!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Toggl to keep track of your time and your employees' time as well! No need for a physical clock to track time at work, use the app or website to keep track for you!

We are able to keep track of work that we do even when we are off site. It is an easy and honest way to record time. Again, being able to label the time also helps us know how much time we need to plan on when it comes to various projects.

Toggl review by Sara  A.
Sara A.

"Very Easy to Use, Excellent Tracking for Tasks"

What do you like best?

That I can classify the tasks i do and time them accurately.

What do you dislike?

The new version puts all the same tasks together so it's hard to see them in chronological order.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure when you have a task that you would like to repeat in the future you name it the same thing each time. Toggl will help by offering you the name if you begin typing it in and if you have typed it in previously. I really like keeping my tasks well classified so I focus on keeping the same name for tasks and projects when I repeat them.

I figure out how long something takes, which helps me plan out how much time I will need next time around. I have been able to shorten the amount of time I take on each task since Toggl helps me to focus and use my time more efficiently.

Toggl review by User in Computer Software

"Great app for tracking the time you spend on tasks"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a great app, both for mobile and PC use. It's great for improving time management and productivity. I love that Toggl shows a timer and I can track the exact time I spend on tasks and projects. Great for improving your time management skills, and holding each other accountable on projects for work or uni. Very useful app!

What do you dislike?

It was a bit confusing to learn to use at first - I think the guided tour should be longer and show you how to use the other "tabs" such as dashboard, reports, insights, clients, team, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great app, both for mobile and desktop/laptop browser. Definitely worth giving it a try. It's free and improves your productivity and time management!

Toggl is helping me manage my time much better and get work done fast, for university and for work. The benefits are it improves time management skills, and holds you accountable to yourself and others on your team. Toggl helps users make the most of their time and get more work done, things which would be of benefit to companies - for worker efficiency and optimization.

Toggl review by Jim R.
Jim R.

"Mediocre Product, Sneaky Fine Print, Awful Customer Service, "

What do you like best?

Honestly it is a very mediocre application. It does have a chrome button that is kinda handy for punching in and punching out. It keeps time, I guess that's the point.

What do you dislike?

I have a team of 5 but decided to bring on 2 student interns to do some testing for our development team, bringing us over the 6 employee threshold for the free version. Of the entire team, I am the only full-time employee and don't get paid, so I probably didn't really need a timekeeping app, but I figured, if it makes life easier, let's go for it. I opted to save some money and buy the year up front (Big Mistake) The first month is free and was spent trying to get everyone used to using Toggl, which they never did. It really only stuck with my CTO who had used it with another company in the past so he was already used to it, everyone else to this day just plugs their hours into it at the end of the week/month, which could easily be handled with an email. Not that any of that is Toggl's fault, but there just was not a lot of value for MY team. The problem, however, was when I added a user to replace someone who had left, and forgot to take the old person off the list right away, boom get hit with another 100 dollars for that new employees year in advance. I emailed support (They do not offer phone support at all) to let them know that after looking at this new charge and how little my employees use the service, I'd really like to downgrade to the free version and get a prorated refund. They informed me that they do not give refunds, even though it says on their website you can downgrade anytime. That actually is true you can press the button that says downgrade, but it won't actually downgrade until you're credits have run out. I asked to have a manager call me, and was informed that they would never do that as they don't make phone calls. They said they'd speak to a supervisor about a refund. No one ever got back to me. I emailed again asking to speak to a supervisor and someone emailed me back simply saying they don't give refunds and citing some fine print in their terms that of course, I agreed to when I signed up. I did agree, so it's not a scam, but boy they must not be very confident in their product. My company needs money more than anything, and I would NEVER refuse a pro-rated refund to an unhappy user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would never recommend a product with such poor support to others. tricking people into prepaying with a discount then refusing a refund when they are unhappy is just unreal in SaaS

Timekeeping, none.

Toggl review by Sean L.
Sean L.

"Used daily by all staff"

What do you like best?

Probably my favorite part would be the Chrome extension. Aside from Toggl being extremely easy to use, the Chrome extension allows for even easier timekeeping. The entire company is remote so it's as simple as opening the computer, starting Chrome, clocking in and going. At the end of the month, everything can be put into one simple sheet to send to the accountant and hours are billed properly.

What do you dislike?

I can't say there's much bad to say about Toggl. Even if I tried hard to think of something. It does everything we need it to do and we have no desire to switch to any other app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I could recommend this for local on-site/remote teams alike. It's a great product and has worked amazingly for us. Simple to use and very efficient.

Hours are accounted for properly and can be billed for EXACTLY what was being done during that time. Management can view info in real time and see who's on and off and what money is going where for what task and who. With it being pretty self-service in terms of by the employee it saves a lot of time. If there's ever any wonder if an employee is being accurate, it's easy to go back and check.

Toggl review by Richard H.
Richard H.

"Lightweight time keeping tool that does what I need without issue"

What do you like best?

The flexible reporting options. The ability to download as a CSV file any slice of data I need, be it for a few specific team members or for a specific time range or a specific keyword and any configuration of these options has more than proven it's worth

What do you dislike?

The lack of a global cache clear, while minor, is quite annoying. On a few occasions now, I have needed to change the way we record our times which has gone smoothly for the most part. However, due to Toggl caching entries for easier repeats, every now and again in the weeks after a changeover I'll find people using the old format by accident as they've clicked on the wrong cached entry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is one of the few timekeeping tools I have seen that lets you ignore almost every feature it has built-in, in order to sideload your own system. If you just need a recording stopwatch with a text entry field, I would still recommend toggl as it will allow you to use it as such without issue.

It allows us to accurately understand how much time has been spent on a given task or client so that we can bill for the tasks accordingly. Before I started the time spent on tasks was recorded on the free version of toggl and collated manually. Since using the starter plan, we have saved days worth of combined time.

Toggl review by Marcus U.
Marcus U.

"Use Toggl for hourly billing tracking"

What do you like best?

The reporting features make it easy to know what to put on your invoices. Both weekly and monthly.

What do you dislike?

I wish the Project search when starting a new timer/adding a new task worked better. I have to either scroll through a big list of (current) Projects and (all) Clients to find what I'm looking for. Or I have to type it in. I'd rather have the most recent Project be at the top of the list. And the Client management is lacking. It's basically just a tag. No way to add additional info, to archive them, etc. It'd be nice to be able to have contact info for each Client. And being able to archive them is a definite need. If I had a Client a year ago I still want to see data on them, but I don't want them to show up in my Project list anymore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl does what I want, but maybe try the trial and/or other products to see which one you like best. I'm sure function-wise they're all pretty similar, so it's probably the UI and UX that makes the difference for you.

This gives me an easy way to track the hourly work I do for my clients. I use mainly the web app, but the mobile app is also pretty good. At the end of the month I run the "previous month" report and it shows me exactly how much to bill my clients.

Toggl review by User

"Toggl Keeps My Productivity High! Good feature on the free version! Maybe no reason to ever upgrade!"

What do you like best?

Good, all-around time tracking app. I had a really good experience with their customer service. I was shuffling desktops between jobs (which is one of the great features Toggl has). I accidentally deleted that desktop, so essentially deleted 2 years of records. Luckily, Toggl staff was able to restore the deleted desktop in under 24 hours. Saved me from a lot of stress! Good company from my experience.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes had some bugs on the browser version of the software, but for the last 6 months had no real issues! Sometimes is hard to input manually the text. Sometimes I would like to see a physical interface for editing time entries. I have a bad habit of not starting timers, but looking at the clock.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up your separate desktops before you put considerable time into adding projects and tasks. Saves some headache.

Am able to track productivity very well with Toggl! I work remote so sometimes I slide into a low productivity period. Toggl is pretty helpful for metrics that keep me on track with productivity.

Toggl review by Keiko Z.
Keiko Z.

"Perfect For Freelancers & Small Teams"

What do you like best?

Toggl offers several ways to track time, from a mobile app to an extension on my Chrome browser. Another feature I especially like is that Toggl will remind me to track my time, which is especially important once I start getting head down into project mode. Being able to categorize my clients and projects also gives me a smarter picture of just how my time is spent between clients, allowing me to make adjustments along the way.

What do you dislike?

Toggl offers powerful and robust reporting, but much of it is locked behind a paid subscription. For my purposes, the free version is enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free version is sufficient for most sole proprietor freelancers, but if you're planning on using it to do track time for small teams, you'll definitely need to upgrade to the paid version.

One of the biggest benefits to using Toggl is having a realistic picture of how much time I spend on various projects and clients. As such, I've become much better at pricing my services knowing with certainty how similar projects compare in terms of my time.

Toggl review by Shahbaz T.
Shahbaz T.

"A really easy to use and intuitive time keeping solution."

What do you like best?

The ease of use. You have the ability to track time or log time - whatever you find suits you. The ability to report time is also really good and allows me to report my daily timings to my seniors without no hassle at all.

It also keeps a log of your entire history and that's invaluable on its own.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much to dislike at all. If I was nitpicking it might be that when you select a time entry that has been previously saved it doesn't carry over the corresponding tags. But, again, this is nitpicking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend the use of Toggl if you're looking for an app to track/log your time. Especially if you need to produce reports of your time for seniors.

I use Toggl to track/log my time and report it to my seniors every month. I specifically use the reporting functionality to export a record of my times during the month and they really appreciate it.

Toggl review by Sara O.
Sara O.

"Fantastic, if you can remember to use it!"

What do you like best?

I love the feature to automatically start the time on your assignment, and that you can go back and edit it (for when you inevitably accidentally leave it running).

What do you dislike?

There doesn't seem to be an auto-off. The program should have a feature where it realizes that if it has been running over 16 hours (like when you go home for the evening) that work is no longer being completed. Maybe a pop-up like Netflix has "are you still working on ____ Project?"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember to use it! It is a fantastic program, if you can remember to use it, which is our companies biggest problem. It would be ideal if in the future Toggle has prompters to remind you to use it when the program is open, but in the meantime the more you use it, the better your results will be. Log everything, even those "minute" long projects you end up doing for clients.....all day long.

Definitely realizing how much time we are spending on clients and billing accordingly. Before Toggle, it was hard to gauge how much time we were really spending on our smaller clients- but after Toggle it became clear that some of our clients we end up spending large swaths of time on for different projects. Having the Toggle reports has made it easy to communicate what projects we are working on and how long they are taking. It is especially rewarding at the end of a large project (we just had a server migration) to see how many hours and different people were involved in a project.

Toggl review by Tiffany H.
Tiffany H.

"Great time tracking tool for freelancers"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a really straightforward way to track your time when you are doing freelance work. It was really user-friendly and helped me to see how I could be more efficient with my time as well as how much I should charge for my services. It also helped me track how much time I spend on non-work tasks, such as homeschool. I also like that it allows me to create and track specific client projects, tag my projects so that I can find them more easily, and gain access to helpful reports.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I disliked. I only tried the free version, so I wasn't able to try out all of the features. However, that has more to do with my budget than anything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say to just try it out. There is a free version, so it's not like you will lose any money if you decide it's not what you need. However, if it is something you need, it could be very helpful and provide you with great insight.

I honestly had no clue how I was spending my time. I didn't know how long it took to complete certain business tasks. Now I have a better idea, which not only helps me to plan out my workday better, but helped me decide how much to charge for my services and how many clients I could realistically work with each month.

Toggl review by Benjamin E. J.
Benjamin E. J.

"Easy to Use, but Could Use a Couple More Features"

What do you like best?

I like that it's simple to create a project and associate it with a client. As a solo freelancer, I don't worry about teams, but Toggl premium has that functionality.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Toggle freemium had the ability to associate costs, so I can come up with an hourly rate per project. I suppose I could use it for billing, but I have to use Upwork Time Tracker for official time tracking and billing anyway, and the $9/mo Starter rate is not in my slim budget right now. The Windows 10 app and Chrome widget need more functionality.

I was looking for a way to increase my productivity. As a freelancer, time management has always been a challenge for me, to be self-motivated. Toggl is so easy to use that I almost can't help but use it. When I've got a project timing, Toggl keeps me on track and helps me see where I can adjust billing per project or when I'm spending too much time on something.

Toggl review by Eric W.
Eric W.

"Perfect for consultants with multiple clients/projects"

What do you like best?

I love my job as a project-based engineer, but I always hated tracking my time. Toggl helps immensely! I select the project/client I'm working on, make a quick note of what I'm doing, and press start. Often my phone will ring and it will be a different client, so I quickly press stop and start a new timer. After the call is done, I make a note of the client.

Even better - a colleague asks me to take a look at something on their computer for another project. I end up helping them for a significant period of time, but I have no idea what time I rolled over to their desk. When I get back to my desk, the desktop Toggl app informs me I've been idle for 30 minutes and asks if I want to add this as a new entry. Why yes I do, Toggl, thanks!

At the end of day, Toggl helps me aggregate small slivers of time into billable chunks of time.

The free version is good enough for me!

What do you dislike?

Using the desktop app while offline is less than ideal. It's primarily a web-based application, so it's really designed to work best when you have an internet connection. Not a big deal, I almost always have an internet connection.

The Windows desktop app is sometimes a bit buggy and will occasionally crash. Since the time tracking done in the web app, I don't lose any tracked time, so it's not a big deal, just an annoyance.

Accurately tracking time to determine billable hours for multiple projects and multiple clients

Toggl review by Maria W.
Maria W.

"Simple Time Tracking Done Right"

What do you like best?

Toggl allows you to get as granular as you need, or as general as you need, without forcing specific behavior. Use the timer or estimate time spent after the fact for those times you forget to set a timer. Easy to read robust reports without having to spend a penny.

What do you dislike?

Still easier for me to use the web-based solution than the desktop app, so I have to have a browser open.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to keep track of your output on specific tasks, from how long it takes to walk your dog to how much time you spent last month checking the intern's math, you can do it with Toggl. Nothing to be intimidated about, no bells or whistles; just the light touch needed to keep track of yourself without strapping on concrete boots.

When you switch gears repeatedly in every single work day, being able to track how much time you're spending doing specific tasks can be daunting. I've tried other timers, time trackers, and spreadsheets. I've tried Pomodoro timers. I've tried everything, and I like Toggl best (and it's free for me.)

Toggl review by Jonathan B.
Jonathan B.

"Easy-to-use and reliable time tracking"

What do you like best?

I like the clean interface and the reliability of the built-in timer. Even if you accidentally close your browser tab, they keep the timer going, so you can log in later and pick back up where you left off. I also like how it's easy to add tags or assign a task to a specific project, and the reporting features they offer make it clear where your time went. And for my personal use it has been free. I've been a happy user for years.

What do you dislike?

They launched a new design some months back, and it is good, but even now I slightly prefer the old design. It's not a big deal though.

I need to accurately track my time on tasks and projects, and report this to my team.

Toggl review by Matt B.
Matt B.

"Great software for Time Tracking"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and mobile apps makes it readily available for whenever employees to to log their time. Additionally, it is easy to set up new user so adding an temporary employee isn't a headache.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything to dislike because the software is very simple. It will track and log time but that is it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really easy to try out so it is worth a trial period in order to figure out if this software is right for you.

We are a company who needs a crew of people that can start working from anywhere and not have a location based clock in system. Also the crew isn't consistent so being able to keep track of the hourly work of part time employees is great.

Toggl review by User in Animation
User in Animation

"Great product, but needs better integration."

What do you like best?

I like being able to track time and calculate my rate with the hours at the same time. Will definitely recommend this to people looking to better track their time.

What do you dislike?

I'd like it to integrate with my subscription with Quickbooks, but can't do that unless I pay a third party plugin. I'd recommend developing a relationship with Quickbooks to offer an extended service of an extra dollar or two to share my Toggl info to Quickbooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product to use especially to track time if you're getting paid by the hour.

Better managing how much time I put into my project and giving an accurate estimate of how long the project will take and the cost of it. It also saves me if I charge hourly and need proof of working those hours.

Toggl review by Sarah W.
Sarah W.

"Easy time tracking anywhere"

What do you like best?

I love being able to track time for any project or client, and pull very specific reporting when it comes time to send invoices.

What do you dislike?

I often need to pause my time tracking and it creates a whole new time entry, which I find a little cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl is very easy to use, give it a try. It's very easy to pull reporting and summarize your week or month's worth of work, broken down by client and/or project.

Toggl allows me to track time spent on client projects from anywhere since it's browser based. And it's free, so very valuable to me.

Toggl review by User

"Toggl makes it easy to keep track of your time"

What do you like best?

I really like Toggl extension for my Chrome Browser. This makes it easy to keep track of my time. Push notifications also remind me to track my time if I'm in the middle of a project and I forget to start tracking my time. It's very convenient.

What do you dislike?

At this point I really haven't found anything about Toggl that I dislike. It might be useful to implement a pomodoro timer when tracking time to increase productivity or possibly push notifications that share time management tips for users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend using Toggl. There is no learning curve to use the software and it is an effective and efficient method for tracking your time.

With Toggl I am able to keep track of billable hours for clients. Another key benefit I've noticed with Toggl is the ability to simply track my patterns online. I can use Toggl to conduct a time audit of my day to identify any major time wasters or tasks that take an excessive amount of time.

Toggl review by Michaela P.
Michaela P.

"The best app to track your time"

What do you like best?

I love the user experience and how easy it is to start using this app. I can track my time by the client and by project and see many different reports.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the login page is not as intuitive to find as I'd like to. I'd love to stay logged in on my home computer. It takes me a couple of clicks to get started.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with Toggl. I'd recommend setting up clients and project upfront. I started with that feature later on and found it really really helpful. It's really easy to use even for teams. I use the free version and it's enough for my needs.

Organizing time spent by project and by client. I don't have to write anything down. I just press the start button when I start working on a project and press it again when I'm done. I don't have to calculate manually how long I spent on each project. I write a short description and select a project from my list and that's all.

Toggl review by Michiel L.
Michiel L.

"Toggl makes business and personal timekeeping a cinch"

What do you like best?

Easy to use user interface to manage multiple projects. Timer is very stable - never had any issues with the time crashing or not capturing what I needed. Love the feature to notify me if it seems as if I let the timer run.

What do you dislike?

When using detailed reports, the start and stop times of a timer run does not always show up. This makes validating times recorded by other that I check difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool and easy to use. Make sure everyone remembers to start and stop timers!

I use it to keep detailed track of consulting work and use the detailed report outputs to generate the data I need for invoicing.

Toggl review by Jill T.
Jill T.

"Easy to use and beautifully simple interface"

What do you like best?

I love that I can log in with my google account and don't have to remember another username/password. I can set up different projects quickly and easily and have found it helps me to improve my time estimates.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I forget to stop timing on a project. (I can manually edit this though.) Also I haven't hit on a way to account for those little things that interrupt my workflow (unexpected phone call or quick request from a colleague).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I only use the basic version and have not used all of the full features.

It was eye-opening to see how much time I actually do spend on projects. I was underestimating the amount of time it actually takes.

Toggl review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Simple and easy. I like it."

What do you like best?

This tracker does what I need. I can use manually track time or turn on the timer (my favorite) to track where I'm spending my time. And I can add it to a certain client and a certain project for that client, so that later, I can check out the reports and find out where the time is going and if I'm spending too much or not enough, or better still, if I'm charging enough for the project. And it's easy to use. The interface is easy. Couldn't ask for much more, really, from the free version.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I have tried out so far is something I dislike about this timer. I can use an extension or the web app. I have different "workspaces" to use for different purposes (like work and personal or school and home). Nothing bad to say!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like this product because you don't have to buy the pro version just to get what you need out of it. It does have some awesome pro features that I think would be immensely helpful for those that have the ability to afford that, but for freelancers and smaller businesses, it works just fine to determine where your time is being spent.

Since it's a time tracker, I'm using it to find where my time is going and if I need to adjust anywhere to be sure that my prices are in line with the amount of work actually goes into a project, along with telling me which task takes the most time so I can adjust going forward if I need to. It's been critical in improving my profits.

Toggl review by Administrator

"Beware of updates to Premium"

What do you like best?

Its a good application, but the Customer Service always tries to change your plan. I have around 30 members and one of the ask for premium accounts and automatically they change all the accounts. We didnt use it and 6 months later we became aware of the change and we have not been able to go back. We have asked for the money back and they do not give them.

What do you dislike?

It can not be that someone from the team asks for a demo and they change the whole team to Premium which is a lot of money. They do not take care of the customer and do not show proof that we approved the change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware of the questions as they changer to upgrade and bill you without autorization

it marks you the time but it does not allow you to cross it with a billing tool to see the profitability of the projects. The integration with Jira is very bad tb.

Toggl review by Leo Y.
Leo Y.

"Toggl is great for keeping track of time"

What do you like best?

I like that it has reminders, because I always forget to start tracking time. It also has a desktop app that is really nice. Toggl integrates with my project management software and I can see reports in both apps. The customizable pomodoro timer is awesome as well.

What do you dislike?

Editing times seemed more difficult than it should be, but after using it for a while, I got used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The desktop app and pomodoro timer are very useful features for me.

I use it to make sure I'm not spending too much time on one project. I also use it to help remind me to take breaks.

Toggl review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Does what we need"

What do you like best?

It has a desktop application that makes it easy to track time - you just turn the timer on and off, switch from one project to another. It has a pretty intuitive user interface. The reporting lets you filter by whatever you want. And it lets you export summary and detail information.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. We don't integrate it directly into other systems, so I don't know if the integrations are good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good for small companies. I have a feeling a company would outgrow it eventually. We're 15 people and it's working fine for us. I imagine at 500 people we'd want something different.

Needed consultants to track time on the projects they're assigned to. It lets us know how long projects are taking and adjust our estimates.

Toggl review by Lauryn T.
Lauryn T.

"Great tool for tracking your time."

What do you like best?

I like that you can track your time not just based on what your doing but can separate different tasks by projects and create teams to help you not just track time, but assess where time is being spent and if your business is running efficiently.

What do you dislike?

It might take some time to set it up for your business based on the projects, people, and tasks you are trying to track.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool for time management and to track efficiency in your business.

Efficiency in general. Seeing where time is being spent, how much time, if there are any time suckers in my business and how to distribute work to be more efficient.

Toggl review by Michelle W.
Michelle W.

"A great way to keep track of time"

What do you like best?

• Toggl is very light weight and snappy. Some of the other programs I have used take a long time to load. Toggl loads fast.

• Easy to use interface.

• Good ability to tag projects and keep everything organized.

• Well designed desktop app.

• Clutter free design of app.

What do you dislike?

It's an excellent software. There is nothing to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it because it is easy to use, quick to load and very simple.

I am a freelancer and so use this to track how much work I have done. In the past, I used to keep manual records and would nearly always forget to fill them in, so I would have to spend much time try to guess the work I had done. With Toggle, I just tap a button and that's it! It is really easy to use.

Learning about Toggl?

* We monitor all Toggl reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.