Travis CI

Test and Deploy with Confidence. Easily sync your GitHub projects with Travis CI and you'll be testing your code in minutes!

Work for Travis CI?
Circleci 2x

Learning about Travis CI?

Travis CI Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 65 Travis CI reviews
Travis CI review by <span>Jonathon P.</span>
Jonathon P.

Keeping our code honest and consistent!

What do you like best?

I like that it is an environment where you can essentially set anything up like you would locally via your terminal. Using Travis CI also keeps everyones code constant with the linter rules in place, and in the beginning helped with learning what in the code needs to be done before deploying it.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that if a Pull Request was not properly merged with the master branch that Travis CI uses to check against it will fail. So if the references don't match it just breaks, but maybe its just my works setup with Travis. Sometimes Travis feels like it takes longer than it should, but I think this is situational.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just make sure if you want to use it to build your environment that it meets all the requirements. Basically don't just assume Travis CI is the solution for you.

We use Travis to keep our code honest.

We use it for tests to make sure it passes before deploy.

We use it as the middle man.

Benefits:

Keeps code constitant

Catches errors with tests

Updates linter rules as per the parent it calls from

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Travis CI
Travis CI review by User

Easy to integrate, useful CI tool

What do you like best?

It integrates well with GitHub, automatically running tests for new commits, so we don't have to manually ourselves. Forces users to ensure their code is tested before merging with master. The integration is fairly simple with just a configuration file. Granted, if you have a more complex build, this integration can be more complex. Their documentation is fairly extensive though which is good.

What do you dislike?

The UI can be a bit clunky to use and the view for builds could load faster. It also can get pricey for the paid versions for a startup. If you have multiple team mates collaborating, the list of builds waiting can queue up meaning you're waiting potentially hours (if each build takes 30min).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool saves developers a lot of time and ensures higher quality output from an engineering team. I would definitely recommend it and if you have an Open Source project, it's free too.

We use it mainly for automated tests and continuous deployment for our staging environment. It saves our developers time from handling these tasks that take somewhere between 30-60minutes each time. And instead free them up to be working on other things. It means all code is now always tested routinely without any excuses for lack of time/laziness.

What Continuous Integration solution do you use?

Travis CI review by <span>Jim Ryan Z.</span>
Jim Ryan Z.

Better CI for your projects

What do you like best?

Travis has been a very good experience to me compared to using other CI. We went from CircleCI to this because of it's simplicity, the config is very easy and the documentation is really good for the newcomers to using CI's.

What do you dislike?

The UI I think is the weakest part of Travis, compared to some other CI's, it'd lacking in that front, but not in very wide gap though. Something clean and really modern would do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Travis CI is one of the best CI's I have ever used. It has great support for web development, is very accessible for new users, has several integrations with other software to make it even better and just overall faster and stabler than any other CI's i have used. The UI though, although satisfactory could be better.

We use Travis CI as a tool for checking if tests are working before we deploy them. We use it as a measure if a pull request for our application is good for deployment. It also has integration with slack and chrome has been really good overall.

Travis CI review by <span>Igor R.</span>
Igor R.

They make a better place for open source community

What do you like best?

Most of the open source libraries use TravisCI - that's what makes TravisCI pretty - love how they support open source community.

What do you dislike?

Had some troubles time ago to set up a private repository - not sure how it's working for private one now on - but it was so complicated awhile ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do have an open source library, go ahead and use TravisCI, please do what the most the open source libraries are doing.

All my open source libraries use TravisCI - just for open source libraries hosted by GitHub

Travis CI review by <span>Steven H.</span>
Steven H.

Simple, powerful and easy to integrate

What do you like best?

I love the integration with Github, when it adds visual information to a pull request to let you see how a build is progressing and what problems it has (if any).

I love that it's very easy to configure without any hassle.

I love the badge you can put on a website or in your readme to show whether the build is passing or not.

I love the fact that it has built-in support to deploy to other vendors, like Heroku

What do you dislike?

Difficult to build native .Net projects without using Mono, but that's more of a disappointment with the .Net build ecosystem and not a fault of Travis as such.

Also, pricing - I've only had need to use the free open-source tier, as all the projects I've worked with are open source, but the price of the first paid tier ($129 per month!) is, for me, quite prohibitive and really puts me off making the leap to pay for it.

If there was an even cheaper tier, for example one which was say $30 per month with 1 concurrent job and limited minutes per month, but allowed private repositories, then I would probably make that jump. I just feel there's a big gap in the entry-level pricing tiers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and not be put of by big words like "continuous deployment". It was so easy to use.

Developing a website for my wedding with another developer. We quickly realised the benefits of Continuous Deployment specifically, and more importantly, how easy it was to set it all up. Everyone should be doing this!

Travis CI review by <span>Mario C.</span>
Mario C.

Travis for Open Source CI

What do you like best?

Travis really shines on their language support as well as capabilities. Its UI is nice, very nice, with a dashboard that allows you to check the status of 6 or 7 projects at the same time (depending on your screen size and resolution) and their status.

What do you dislike?

The real downside of Travis is that you need to add a file to your project to start using it. This is mandatory today and this file can be quite complex. This leads to some "useless" commits just to correct some configuration in this file and check if it works on the Travis dashboard. Once you tweak the file correctly, you don't have problems anymore with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Travis is being used in many open source projects already which is a very good sign. I really like it but today I would prefer to used something like Drone.io for my CI. I haven't introduce CI or CD into my workflow as to take time from my development schedule and Travis fits quite nice (once you configure it correctly).

Travis is very well suited for open source projects as it has direct Github support with a simply click so, if you are it the open source community, give it a try.

I use Travis in my open source personal projects as my main CI workflow. I mainly use it in the most common way: to check unit tests that I have on the project every time I made a push to Github and feel sure that I haven't broken anything.

Learning about Travis CI?

* We monitor all Travis CI reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.