Treesize

Can be started from the context menu of a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder, including its subfolders.Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

Work for Treesize?

Learning about Treesize?

Treesize Reviews

Ask Treesize a Question
Showing 18 Treesize reviews
Treesize review by Carlton H.
Carlton H.

"A must-have if you're concerned about disk space issues."

What do you like best?

Very easy to install and use. There's a free version which allows you to see the results of the disk scan in a tree format and allows you to sort based on size, %, number of folders, etc. You can delete files/folders from directly within the user interface as well. The scan for the disk goes very quickly and you can scan multiple disks if you have them. I haven't used the Professional version but apparently you can get reports, do automated file cleanup, and search for duplicate files (which would be very nice). The installer file size is also small, which is key if the computer is already very low on disk space.

What do you dislike?

The tree view can get pretty busy when diving down within a folder. Other than that I really don't dislike the software at all, especially since it is free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the free version if you use need something to find out what is taking up so much space on your hard drive.

The software that we use on a daily basis can take up a lot of hard drive space so every once in a while we make sure to run TreeSize to figure out if there are files we can delete, archive, or move to a cloud/server location to free up local hard drive space. Moving 100% to the cloud is not an option for us as there are many times we have to have the files locally due to network unavailability at a client's site.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Treesize
Treesize review by Victor Alday N.
Victor Alday N.

"More like "Forestsize""

What do you like best?

The best feature for me with this software is it's ability to scan a parent folder and give me a comprehensive breakdown of every single file in it. This helps me pinpoint exactly the file(s) I need to analyze for possible export to an excel spreadsheet.

What do you dislike?

I feel that the UI is a little clunky, especially when it comes to exporting information to an excel spreadsheet. I feel that the process could be a little easier with the report customization features be a little more user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those who need to get information regarding the files inside a CD/DVD, USB Drive, or a network folder, Treesize will do it. Not only will it give you a list of every file in the folder, it will give other information such as data size and last time modified.

Rather than going through each folder and creating a large index of every file in it, with Treesize Pro, all I need to do is have the software scan the parent folder and a list of every file can be produced,

What Other Development solution do you use?

Treesize review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"There's really nothing else like it"

What do you like best?

Super fast - much faster than any other tool. The only thing that comes close is command line, but that frequently doesn't cut it and isn't as full featured. There's no better tool to quickly understand and report on volume contents.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to have better presets so that I can cycle through a variety of report settings that I use frequently. Better support for forensic containers would also be a plus, but that's not the core purpose of the tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a test run, but I've surveyed the market and don't think there are real competitors. You can homebrew a solution but it will be far more effort and very custom. This makes reporting and decision making far easier, and it is easy to communicate results to client.

Other than forensics tools, this is the most full featured option for this type of work. And it is very very fast. Far faster and easier than running your own custom report in Excel. Previously we would accomplish this with an initial export from Encase or nuix, which would take much longer. Then the report would be customized by a project manager, which meant that reports were very inconsistent. Treesize takes care of all of these issues.

Treesize review by Justin T.
Justin T.

"Decent file storage manager"

What do you like best?

The ability to search for old and obsolete files or files larger than a certain size in order to clean up hard disk drive space. Duplicate files can also be identified across the entire HDD and be selected for elimination if necessary

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve when trying to search for certain file types. There's no undo button for permanent actions.

Minimizing clutter and old files on personal computers to allow for faster HDD retrieval. Identifying and backing up files that are critical to external or networked storage.

Treesize review by User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Simple to use disk monitoring program with full feature"

What do you like best?

Very simple interface- not to be confused with lightweight or short on features. I am very interested in upgrading our current version (1 major version behind) so that the Unix filesystem analysis can be performed as well. I access Treesize Pro via scripts, so that files are cleaned prior to the run, then Treesize is ran in the background, and creates an HTML file of output, then the HTML file is attached to an email for delivery. If SMTP is configured, emails can be automated with charts, tables, or other statistics.

What do you dislike?

There is the ability to empty the Recycle Bin, but it would be nice to be able to clear out other "Custom" directories based upon file size or date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider adding it to a server in addition to using it on your desktop. Using it to monitor your entire environment may be a possibility for you. There are command-line options too should you ever want to script anything.

I typically use the product in response to other monitoring we already process. However, I see that Tasks can be scheduled and ran for destinations.

Treesize review by Administrator

"Great, Underrated Tool"

What do you like best?

This is such a robut tool that does so much. I particularly like the organizational breakouts it gives. It really makes for easy searches and data indentification.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes more options isn't always for the better. This tool has a lot of options and can, at times, be overwhelming and hard to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is really robust and easy to get overwhelmed, but is really helpful for data breakdowns. Give it a shot!

We receive a lot of data and it's really hard to get a picture of what type of data, file extensions, size, ect are present in a dataset. This tool is able to give me a complete breakdown of what is present within a dataset. It works fairly fast depending on dataset size and saves us a lot of time and is able to allow us advanced reporting for our clients.

Treesize review by David D.
David D.

"Useful Utility App When You Remember You Have It"

What do you like best?

This is just a handy utility for digging a bit deeper into your hard drive to find out what is sucking up all of your space and clogging up your processor...

Views are customized as well so you can see space allocations by percent, file size, etc.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. UX is a bit primitive, but utilities like this can get away with it...

Recommendations to others considering the product

No risk using this. Just download and try to remember you have it when you need to dig deeper and troubleshoot your hard drive issues.

Windows explorer just doesn't dig deep enough when you are troubleshooting space and speed issues. This is a handy tool to troubleshoot things much faster.

Treesize review by Mohan S.
Mohan S.

"Great Things Come in Small Packages"

What do you like best?

The user Interface and ease to use the software is amazing. This software seems simpler than DiskAnalyzerPro, has many similar features and easy to use. It can scan and analyse in the background and keep updating the results as you view the results to make necessary changes to your file positions. It comes with a inbuilt copy paste package, so that you need not actually go to the directory to to move/delete the file you don't need there.

What do you dislike?

I Use the free version of the software, The Full version is priced a little higher. The free version although does enough for me, whenever I look at the cost makes me fell, ah its a bit much. I cannot complain on anything other than the price of the product. The graphs of the analysis won't appear in the free version..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go on Use it, TreeSize is certainly a handy tool in case of Old devices and limited Disk spaces.

I mostly use it to clear unwanted files and free up disk space of my old PC and my phone device. The biggest help it came of was for cleaning one of my friends PCs which is very old with only 80GB hard disk space and a 1GB RAM. We used TreeSize to help us go through all the Disks and move/delete unwanted files to different directories. We managed to free up enough space to Install and Run Age of Empires. LOL

Treesize review by Paul L.
Paul L.

"Great Way To See How Much Space Folders Use Up"

What do you like best?

I like the different graphical ways Treesize presents folders/files occupying your hard drive. For example just under the Chart tab alone, Treesize offers Pie chart, Bar Chart and even the ability to view the results in 3D.

What do you dislike?

It does take a while for this little program to run depending on the size of your hard drive before providing folder capacity results. But at least it populates the folders Treesize has finished evaluating so you don't have to wait till the entire folder structure is finished before presenting the results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this inexpensive small footprint program to provide folder sizes which Windows Explorer lacks.

At times we would like to know what folders are taking up the most space on our drive and Treesize does an excellent job in providing us with this information.

Treesize review by Dor A.
Dor A.

"excellent tool for IT detectives"

What do you like best?

it's a very light tool. it maps every bit of your Hard drive in a very user friendly "explorer like" gui.

very easy to use, even if you're not an IT administrator, it feels natural and doesn't require any guide/manual.

What do you dislike?

there's absolutely nothing to dislike about this tool.

it would be nice if it had the option to suggest what data is crucial to the operating system or some specific application, to prevent people from deleting important files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

don't hesitate to try it... it's free and very easy to use.

it weights nothing and you will forget it's there.

you don't appreciate the value of this product until you're left with less than 1% on your hard drive and don't know where to start the cleanup quest.

if you don't check your disk space every now and then and clean your temp files regularly - i suggest you be prepared when the day comes that your OS will start screaming that you're out of disk space.

i hope i was helpful.

when your PC/laptop/Server Hard Drive is suddenly very low on disk space - treesize is a good way for investigating what is taking up space and surgically free it up.

enterprise storage costs a lot of money to every company.

if there's a small tool that can help you bring some order and save up your budget for something else - it's a blessing.

Treesize review by Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.

"Nifty little product"

What do you like best?

We use this product to locate problem areas that may be taking up too much space, on a hard drive. Pro product can be used on remote computers, which is extremely handy.

What do you dislike?

The product's interface is a little clunky. Also, it must be run as an admin, which I always seem to forget to do the first time I load the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great admin tool if you have issues with drive space on your machines.

Troubleshooting low drive space on computers. We use this on both thin and fat drives.

Treesize review by Diogo V.
Diogo V.

"I used it for managing drive space and create file lists"

What do you like best?

It's quite accessible for simple tasks like managing disks storage and identifying the files that are on your drives. TreeSize enables you to quickly see how much space your files are consuming in a very visual way. Pie and Bar charts enable fast identification of potential problems.

The possibility of managing drive space from inside one app is quite easy since everything is divided and properly identified.

What do you dislike?

I think Treesize could improve the User Interface. It seems a bit outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for identifying large files and managing your hard drives space. Easy to use if you want to quickly analyse your disks and storage, create reports and even removing obsolete software.

Treesize review by Steven D.
Steven D.

"Simple effective view of hard drive usage"

What do you like best?

I like navigating the hard drive through the visual hierarchy of the tree, to find the folders using the most disk space.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about this software.

Maintaining optimal and efficient usage of computer hard drives.

Treesize review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Useful tool that helped us debug a web product when our hd ran out of space quickly"

What do you like best?

The tool is easy and intuitive to pick up. The drill down ability is very useful for tracking down issues when you need to see what's taking up space unexpectedly. This came in very handy for us when debugging a web product that filled our server's hard drive... We were able to drill down and find copies of a ton of pdfs, and realize what they were from so we could turn the setting off in the application.

What do you dislike?

hmm, good question. Probably the fact that we have to install it on each local machine. The ui is easy, but it's also a bit dated compared to other apps nowadays.

We used it to save time while debugging when a hard drive was full. We've also used it to monitor shared network drives for utilization and to remind people to keep their partitions below spec. I think it's just been pretty low level easy stuff but the product isn't exactly expensive... ;)

Treesize review by Massimo R.
Massimo R.

"Small, fast, essential"

What do you like best?

The free version has everything I need: quick to download and install, small footprint, fast, nice visualization.

It saved my day several times when I needed to free some space quickly..

What do you dislike?

It's a pity that when it reloads after asking for administrator's permission, it starts over again instead of keeping the results of the previous, partial scan

Identifying the files (and users...) that are eating the space, especially in systems where I have no good idea of what is going on.

Treesize review by Young Soo K.
Young Soo K.

"great tool to manage my diskspace"

What do you like best?

I like the that i can centralize the managing of my disk space and also have it automated

What do you dislike?

It does what it says it does so i do not have any complaints. Pretty straightforward

Recommendations to others considering the product

very easy to use and it really does manage my diskspace well.

Since there are a lot of data in my field of work, I would need to have my disk space as clean and nonfragmented as possible. this tool helps me with that

Treesize review by Henrich H.
Henrich H.

"Fine simple application"

What do you like best?

its fast, UI - bar size visualisation, instant reloading size after change, many settings, it has free version

What do you dislike?

nothing, free version lacks other features but for average user it does not mind

Recommendations to others considering the product

nothing, free version is fine for average user

chosing right files/folders to delete because of low disk space, general knowledge of folders size distribution

Treesize review by Rusty P.
Rusty P.

"Great way to find what's going on"

What do you like best?

This software is essential for anyone trying to find what is taking up space. I keep this software on my thumbdrive at all times! I run it on my file servers on a quarterly basis to determine if there are any files that are eating up space (Treesize Pro for this).

What do you dislike?

A little slow--but it is doing A LOT

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the free, but don't hesitate to buy it--it is a great investment!

Learning about Treesize?

* We monitor all Treesize reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.