TurboCAD

TurboCAD is a feature-rich solution perfect for CAD users involved in documenting the design workflow.

Work for TurboCAD?

Learning about TurboCAD?

TurboCAD Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 23 TurboCAD reviews
TurboCAD review by <span>James A.</span>
James A.

After a year and two months I am very satisfied.

What do you like best?

The program has become an extension of my creative mind. When I would try to describe the why's and what's of an idea, you cannot project my 3D vision from my head in words. As a long time engineer, used to using 2D and "projections", this has become my standard. Once one gets past the learning curve and the quirks of this software, (all software has issues) this program has everything I need and more than I need. I am very satisfied with it.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was better rendering. I can get it to look quite good, but not as "life like" as I want. I am looking into making my own rendering images to use in my drawings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have intelligence and a good mathematical mind this is a breeze to use. If you don't understand coordinate systems and using math, maybe not. Most engineers have those skills.

Communicating concepts to the factory. Factory workers do not understand 2D drawings any more. They are not trained in "blueprint" reading as they once were. So photos and 3D is the best way to go. The precision of the drawings is great for design work. TC has no limits that I have encountered for design work.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TurboCAD
TurboCAD review by <span>Jeff L.</span>
Jeff L.

Powerful Software and an Excellent Value

What do you like best?

There are three versions of the program: Deluxe, Professional and Platinum. The Deluxe version has a list price of $130. It can design objects and create photo-realistic renderings, but it only handles Surfaces, not Solids, so it is missing some of the functionality of the Professional and Platinum versions. In terms of ability, the Professional version is comparable to AutoCAD while the Platinum version adds extra Mechanical and Architectural functions.

I can quickly design (or transcribe an existing design) to get up and running quickly. The user interface is largely consistent (there are some exceptions for some of the more unusual functions), but almost totally flexible (I can place tools under pretty much any drop-down menu and get to them via mouse or keyboard). If I want, I can switch over to an AutoCAD-compatible user interface as well as importing and exporting AutoCAD-compatible files, plus a couple dozen other file formats.

You can buy or subscribe to the software. If you buy, you can use it forever (so long as the operating system supports it).

If you are a programmer, you can write DLLs that can enhance the functionality. An SDK is available.

What do you dislike?

The User Manual is a bit vague on some of the functions. The User Group forum (including many of the Beta Testers) usually fill in the missing pieces.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any CAD software, there is a steep learning curve. Get a tutorial for the 2D and 3D functions to get up and running as quickly as possible. Also, create a free account at the User Group Forums (http://forums.turbocad.com/) for lots of free help.

I transcribe older mechanical drawings into 3D objects that can be quoted online.

I design new devices and produce conceptual drawings or photorealistic renderings in either of the two rendering engines, Redway (a V-Ray variant) or LightWorks (currently an optional add-on).

What General-Purpose CAD solution do you use?

TurboCAD review by <span>Adam F.</span>
Adam F.

UPDATED - Problems Solved

What do you like best?

The price point is nice for small companies that need 3D models to be relevant in the industry.

What do you dislike?

Updated 10/12/2016 - Travis worked with me on the phone and via screen share to address the concerns in my original post. His technical knowledge of the program is excellent. He showed that I wasn't using best practices to perform the things I wanted to do which most likely led to the issues I outlined below. He also showed me a few workarounds if the program does get hung up and crash. Overall, I am satisfied.

I can't stand the performance of this program. I have problems every single day. My UI changes normally despite saving the layout, 3D facet editing tools only work sometimes, models are slow to render at any quality, editing is a nightmare. On top of all that, when I called IMSI Design/TurboCAD for help, they don't offer any. All they do is ask me to reinstall the software and expect everything to work. I have asked several times to do a screen share so that they can see my system to see if there is anything wrong, but they refuse. I really would not recommend buying this software.

I use this software to design plastics and assemble inverters.

TurboCAD review by <span>Bruce L.</span>
Bruce L.
Invitation from the software vendor

I use TurboCad for all my drawings of things built here at work so I can reference them at a later d

What do you like best?

My first version of TurboCad was #1, back in the early 90's. I have tried maybe 10 different programs since then and I always come back to TurboCad. It is so user friendly and affordable for all the features that you get. I highly recommend the tutorials and different training that is offered. That way you know how to use more of what is available. Very powerful programs.

What do you dislike?

I am not very familiar with using layers. I would like to see a way to highlight things and move them to a different layer. Right now I have to delete them and start over drawing them in the layer that I should have been using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be sure and get as much training stuff as you can and be patient.

Having a hard copy of what we are trying to accomplish is so useful. A lot of the times it has to deal with angles. Using TurboCad is so easy to see the angles that we are trying to achieve. Then when we do have the item stored on our computer, we can bring it back up for future reference.

TurboCAD review by Consultant in Design
Consultant in Design
Invitation from the software vendor

My mainstay CAD program, easily exports to other platforms.

What do you like best?

I have been using TurboCad for many years (since it came on a floppy disc!) it has always returned safe accurate CAD drawings.

I tend to design almost exclusively in 3D, over the years I have been able to provide a number of successful mechanical designs, including full size flight vehicles.

I find that the format export function works very well and I have no difficulty providing .step files for the manufacture of parts.

Recently the physical metrics capability has proved a godsend as we have defined a composite blade and dynamic system for a new full size rotorcraft.

I particularly like the fact that TurboCAD is a 'nuts and bolts' program in the sense that to get full value out of it you deal directly with the basic structure and design, unlike some more expensive programs that, in my opinion, remove the designer too far from the actual design process.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the loss of Lightworks from the main program. I now have the plug-in, but my rendering processes are now not as tidy as they were before the change. I believe that this was a great mistake by the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can only speak from my own experience which is that the program has served me well over many years, has developed with the times. Like all high level programs there are always tricks and dodges to get full value, however, the excellent forums solve this issue.

Certainly the program meets all my needs and I am still learning what this program can do.

Design of aviation and other mechanical products. For example the ability to link the drawing process with Excel spreadsheets enabled us to design a very accurately a replacement Rootes type of supercharger for an old race car.

TurboCAD review by <span>Harry M.</span>
Harry M.

TurboCad

What do you like best?

Drafting software that is not very expensive. Great for a contractor or anyone drawing plans for building.

What do you dislike?

It takes a while to get good with it. It's a hard software to learn but there is a lot you can do with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this. Give yourself some time to work with it in the beginning.

Drawing building plans for estimates and for plan submissions.

Learning about TurboCAD?

* We monitor all TurboCAD reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.