TurboCAD

TurboCAD is a feature-rich solution perfect for CAD users involved in documenting the design workflow.

Work for TurboCAD?

Learning about TurboCAD?

TurboCAD Reviews

Showing 25 TurboCAD reviews
TurboCAD review by James A.
James A.

"After a year and two months I am very satisfied."

What do you like best?

The program has become an extension of my creative mind. When I would try to describe the why's and what's of an idea, you cannot project my 3D vision from my head in words. As a long time engineer, used to using 2D and "projections", this has become my standard. Once one gets past the learning curve and the quirks of this software, (all software has issues) this program has everything I need and more than I need. I am very satisfied with it.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was better rendering. I can get it to look quite good, but not as "life like" as I want. I am looking into making my own rendering images to use in my drawings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have intelligence and a good mathematical mind this is a breeze to use. If you don't understand coordinate systems and using math, maybe not. Most engineers have those skills.

Communicating concepts to the factory. Factory workers do not understand 2D drawings any more. They are not trained in "blueprint" reading as they once were. So photos and 3D is the best way to go. The precision of the drawings is great for design work. TC has no limits that I have encountered for design work.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about TurboCAD
TurboCAD review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="c8213e0b-1f5a-430c-810b-d641140ff9e7">Jeff L.</span>
Jeff L.
" itemprop="name" />

"Powerful Software and an Excellent Value"

What do you like best?

There are three versions of the program: Deluxe, Professional and Platinum. The Deluxe version has a list price of $130. It can design objects and create photo-realistic renderings, but it only handles Surfaces, not Solids, so it is missing some of the functionality of the Professional and Platinum versions. In terms of ability, the Professional version is comparable to AutoCAD while the Platinum version adds extra Mechanical and Architectural functions.

I can quickly design (or transcribe an existing design) to get up and running quickly. The user interface is largely consistent (there are some exceptions for some of the more unusual functions), but almost totally flexible (I can place tools under pretty much any drop-down menu and get to them via mouse or keyboard). If I want, I can switch over to an AutoCAD-compatible user interface as well as importing and exporting AutoCAD-compatible files, plus a couple dozen other file formats.

You can buy or subscribe to the software. If you buy, you can use it forever (so long as the operating system supports it).

If you are a programmer, you can write DLLs that can enhance the functionality. An SDK is available.

What do you dislike?

The User Manual is a bit vague on some of the functions. The User Group forum (including many of the Beta Testers) usually fill in the missing pieces.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any CAD software, there is a steep learning curve. Get a tutorial for the 2D and 3D functions to get up and running as quickly as possible. Also, create a free account at the User Group Forums (http://forums.turbocad.com/) for lots of free help.

I transcribe older mechanical drawings into 3D objects that can be quoted online.

I design new devices and produce conceptual drawings or photorealistic renderings in either of the two rendering engines, Redway (a V-Ray variant) or LightWorks (currently an optional add-on).

What General-Purpose CAD solution do you use?

TurboCAD review by Adam F.
Adam F.

"UPDATED - Problems Solved"

What do you like best?

The price point is nice for small companies that need 3D models to be relevant in the industry.

What do you dislike?

Updated 10/12/2016 - Travis worked with me on the phone and via screen share to address the concerns in my original post. His technical knowledge of the program is excellent. He showed that I wasn't using best practices to perform the things I wanted to do which most likely led to the issues I outlined below. He also showed me a few workarounds if the program does get hung up and crash. Overall, I am satisfied.

I can't stand the performance of this program. I have problems every single day. My UI changes normally despite saving the layout, 3D facet editing tools only work sometimes, models are slow to render at any quality, editing is a nightmare. On top of all that, when I called IMSI Design/TurboCAD for help, they don't offer any. All they do is ask me to reinstall the software and expect everything to work. I have asked several times to do a screen share so that they can see my system to see if there is anything wrong, but they refuse. I really would not recommend buying this software.

I use this software to design plastics and assemble inverters.

TurboCAD review by Bruce L.
Bruce L.

"I use TurboCad for all my drawings of things built here at work so I can reference them at a later d"

What do you like best?

My first version of TurboCad was #1, back in the early 90's. I have tried maybe 10 different programs since then and I always come back to TurboCad. It is so user friendly and affordable for all the features that you get. I highly recommend the tutorials and different training that is offered. That way you know how to use more of what is available. Very powerful programs.

What do you dislike?

I am not very familiar with using layers. I would like to see a way to highlight things and move them to a different layer. Right now I have to delete them and start over drawing them in the layer that I should have been using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be sure and get as much training stuff as you can and be patient.

Having a hard copy of what we are trying to accomplish is so useful. A lot of the times it has to deal with angles. Using TurboCad is so easy to see the angles that we are trying to achieve. Then when we do have the item stored on our computer, we can bring it back up for future reference.

TurboCAD review by Consultant in Design
Consultant in Design

"My mainstay CAD program, easily exports to other platforms."

What do you like best?

I have been using TurboCad for many years (since it came on a floppy disc!) it has always returned safe accurate CAD drawings.

I tend to design almost exclusively in 3D, over the years I have been able to provide a number of successful mechanical designs, including full size flight vehicles.

I find that the format export function works very well and I have no difficulty providing .step files for the manufacture of parts.

Recently the physical metrics capability has proved a godsend as we have defined a composite blade and dynamic system for a new full size rotorcraft.

I particularly like the fact that TurboCAD is a 'nuts and bolts' program in the sense that to get full value out of it you deal directly with the basic structure and design, unlike some more expensive programs that, in my opinion, remove the designer too far from the actual design process.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the loss of Lightworks from the main program. I now have the plug-in, but my rendering processes are now not as tidy as they were before the change. I believe that this was a great mistake by the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can only speak from my own experience which is that the program has served me well over many years, has developed with the times. Like all high level programs there are always tricks and dodges to get full value, however, the excellent forums solve this issue.

Certainly the program meets all my needs and I am still learning what this program can do.

Design of aviation and other mechanical products. For example the ability to link the drawing process with Excel spreadsheets enabled us to design a very accurately a replacement Rootes type of supercharger for an old race car.

TurboCAD review by Harry M.
Harry M.

"TurboCad "

What do you like best?

Drafting software that is not very expensive. Great for a contractor or anyone drawing plans for building.

What do you dislike?

It takes a while to get good with it. It's a hard software to learn but there is a lot you can do with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this. Give yourself some time to work with it in the beginning.

Drawing building plans for estimates and for plan submissions.

TurboCAD review by Cheryl D.
Cheryl D.

"TurboCad is a great tool in my job"

What do you like best?

I became a designer prior to the proliferation of CAD programs and hand sketched everything. TurboCad was my first introduction to using CAD programs in 2006, and, after looking at other programs that had more features, I have always decided to stick with TurboCad. I don't have a need for a lot of 'bells and whistles', and, I need a quick turn-around time to get the designs in my customers' hands.

The libraries that are included are quite substantial, so, it can be used for many different applications. I mainly use the plant libraries, as I do landscape design, but, have used a few of the other libraries for different purposes.

I also like that I can do layers on the page, and, with a few clicks, be able to differentiate between the different aspects of the drawings. I have only needed to import AutoCad once, and it was effective.

What do you dislike?

When I want to save the document as a PDF some of the items are shrunk a bit, and, it puts the drawing on the 2nd page of the PDF document, leaving a blank page in front of it. To avoid this, I print out the page on my oversized printer and scan the document to create a true PDF.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good sturdy product, with good technical support. The price point is very good, as well.

Because I do work for several branches in different cities, I am not always able to be on-site when a landscape installation is be done, and, our crews can rely on the scaled drawings without me. Design time efficiency is my biggest benefit. It is much quicker to do a scaled CAD drawing than to create a scaled 'hand' drawing.

TurboCAD review by Phineas H.
Phineas H.

"Underatted and a great value."

What do you like best?

I like the work they have done with the interface. Unlike Autocad, the way the environment works requires a lot less interactions with menus and commands. Just something like drawing multiple lines, moving or rotating an object is as simple as clicking the mouse.

Another cool feature is it makes a good multi-platform file viewer/converter. The conversion are not 100%, but are generally 90% if the drawings did not use an automation package.

If you like the Autocad commands, they have a version that operated like Autocad LT. However you can still use the features native to the product.

What do you dislike?

Some object properties are not intuitive. especially the TEXT properties. Other than that, this product has a learning curve like any other product.

Also, when doing a drawing that is going to be converted, it takes a while to learn what techniques to use to make a smooth export. Especially the way the native program does layers. Not really a bad thing, but a limitation if you make Autocad drawings in Turbocad

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind as a standalone package, this product is 100%. Conversions require more work and are about 90%

I have mostly used this package for Electrical/Electronics design. The tools make it easy to convert the drawings to what ever format my customers need.

TurboCAD review by Kenneth E.
Kenneth E.

"TurboCad 15"

What do you like best?

TurboCad has been a valuable tool for me. I work with a limited budget and do not spend much time at the drafting board. TurboCad has been a very capable program meeting the needs that I have. I am not using the most current version, but I am not using all the capabilities in the version I am using.

What do you dislike?

I have had some difficulty when saving files in DWG format. The proprietary AutoCAD format has frozen the program a couple of times. I have saved my work in the TurboCad format and been able to continue. I have used TurboCad since version 3 and have a couple of files from that version that I have not been able to open.

I have used TurboCad for plan preparation and for calculating lengths and areas. TurboCad has allowed me to prepare plans and modify plans with confidence in the drawings.

TurboCAD review by Neil J.
Neil J.

"TurboCAD is Meh"

What do you like best?

this program is awesome for interior designers but the rendering is not the best. it helps with much of the math and scale of the room that you need but it really all depends on your skill with the program.

What do you dislike?

like i said the rendering is not the best you can post your work over to 3Ds Max but it will still take a lot of work if you are looking for a good render.

Recommendations to others considering the product

yes but it really depends on what they are going to use it for.

floor plans and over all look and feel of an environment before you begin work

TurboCAD review by Administrator in Executive Office
Administrator in Executive Office

"Affordable CAD Software "

What do you like best?

TurboCAD Deluxe is excellent 2D/3D CAD software that appeals to a wide range of people. While CAD software is quite complex and always requires a learning curve, this software has tools that make learning much easier. With time-saving features like a command line and macros you can work much more efficiently. While the software and corresponding help manual aren't without flaws, the shortcomings are minimal. The TurboCAD knowledge base and video tutorials are more than sufficient,

What do you dislike?

The PDF manual covers all versions of TurboCAD software, but doesn’t provide comprehensive help for people using the deluxe edition.

We solved ease of use, some other CAD softwares are clunky and outdated. With this CAD we are able to work efficiently and projects are produced in a more timely manner.

TurboCAD review by User

"Still a beginner but good support."

What do you like best?

There are so many different videos or programs to help a beginner go through and learn everything.

What do you dislike?

The different features can be very difficult to understand if you aren't familiar with CAD drawings. There aren't any explanations of different buttons without calling or finding a video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you don't know what exactly you are doing there are plenty of support options to use.

I use this to help draw up building schematics that would otherwise take forever in another program. It saves a lot of time.

TurboCAD review by Gaurav P.
Gaurav P.

"Worth every penny, the best software out there if you can pay for it!"

What do you like best?

TurboCAD Deluxe has more design tools than many of the best 3-D CAD software. If you're working with architectural designs, the wall tool and the house tool will be particularly helpful in your creation process.

What do you dislike?

The deluxe edition can be difficult to get handy with despite the best features that it has to offer. Also, the manual does not cover the deluxe edition. Also, there are no built-in animation features, so you won't be able to animate designs for a presentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best CAD software has a well-organized interface, adept design tools and plenty of support.

CAD programs can be a bit tricky to use, but in the case of TurboCAD Deluxe, an easy-to-use interface makes all the difference. Because of all its features, TurboCAD appeals to a wide range of users, from inexperienced beginners to expert users.

TurboCAD review by Michael T.
Michael T.

"Used TurboCad primarily for mechanical drawings including assembly documents "

What do you like best?

TurboCad is relatively easy to use and remember compared to more complex software packages such as AutoCAD or SolidWorks. It is also priced such that an individual can easily afford it. I have used AutoCAD for many years in the past and found it hard to work with unless you used it every day to stay current. TurboCAD is much easier to use and I do not need a longer relearning process after no using it for a few weeks or months.

What do you dislike?

TurboCAD could provide better documentation and training videos, especially for covering the more advanced features. Like any CAD tool it takes some time to learn, but TurboCAD could make it much easier if they put more effort into there training material.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like any good CAD product it will take some time to learn, but it is affordable and capable of doing most projects.

TurboCAD is a good general purpose drawing tool. I use it for office, manufacturing, and warehouse floor plans, building wiring schematics, and for mechanical part design. I have also used it for creating assembly drawings of low to medium complexity projects with good success.

TurboCAD review by Gene F.
Gene F.

"Personal use only. "

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Most of the tools are easily accessible and can be used with relative ease as well. The tool pallets can be customized, so that helps a great deal. Also, the manual was extremely thorough.

I like that this product is relatively inexpensive compared to other programs of the same caliber. I appreciate that TurboCAD keeps that up.

I also like the file conversion tools. This helped me out when pulling different files from the web for manipulation.

The 3-D rendering is perfect! I have had no major issues with how the images look after rendering. I can only see this getting better, especially with 3-D printing!

What do you dislike?

The 3-D modeling seemed to be sluggish even with what the system requirements were suggested to be. I would recommend settings that will allow the program to perform as it was meant to be. Not give a minimum system requirement.

It's not widely used in the industry as much as AutoCAD is used and is a bit of a challenge when I did try to find employment using solely TurboCAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would get this product because it can do a lot of what other more expensive programs can do with minimal costs. They are always improving and I see them doing great things!

This was used as a personal program for learning and developing products to be used on a 3-D printer one day. It was also used for architectural applications as well.

TurboCAD review by Consultant in Civil Engineering
Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Great value, power at a good price"

What do you like best?

The have different versions that meet different needs, and all versions provide a powerful set of drafting tools for a reasonable price. The program seems to be very good at handling AutoCAD files and Sketchup files; there are others it can import, but I haven't tried them out). The "lighter" versions run pretty well on older computers and laptops.

What do you dislike?

The interface is not as intuitive as some of the other CAD programs I use. The print dialogue is not as flexible as some of the other programs; it has trouble with printing selections and current views. The Pro version taxes some of my older computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to work with DWG files or other CAD formats, or are looking for a program that is very powerful but not very expensive, then TurboCAD is worth considering, in my opinion.

The programs helps me to handle DWG and Sketchup files from clients and work with them when necessary.

TurboCAD review by Jialing Y.
Jialing Y.

"TurboCAD review"

What do you like best?

This software does not have much unnecessary features and also comes with features such as command line and tools that are using for drawing.

What do you dislike?

3D modeling is not fully developed in TurboCAD; if the features are developed, this will be a great options for the users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on your usage, TurboCAD might or might not be a good choice because of the 3D functionality, which is quite missing in TurboCAD. However, it definitely did a good job on 2D designs.

It has helped and supported me in a way that the functionality of the application can be maximized. The built-in manual for the user is a plus.

TurboCAD review by Eric J.
Eric J.

"Great CAD Tool"

What do you like best?

TurboCAD is very user friendly in my past experience. I like the simplistic approach TurboCAD takes towards its user interface as opposed to AutoCAD. Tools and commands are easy to use and funtionality is efficient.

What do you dislike?

I've experienced problems with the program freezing and crashing, especially while working in a project for an extend period of time. Like any CAD program, be sure to save often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a rather inexpensive program for a small business, as a hobbyist, or as a beginner to learn the basic ins and outs of CAD drafting, this is a great option.

I have used this product mostly for 2D layouts and wiring diagrams.

TurboCAD review by David N.
David N.

"Great basic porgram for modeling and drafting. "

What do you like best?

This program has all the basic drawing and modeling features for a relatively inexpensive price. It definitely gets the job done epically if you don't have access to more powerful programs.

What do you dislike?

The menus are hard to understand, and its harder to find what you are looking for epically if you are used to using AutoCAD type products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its pretty powerful for the price, has more capabilities than the free programs available.

I used this at home to make quick sketches when doing consulting work. It works great if you need something quick.

TurboCAD review by User in Chemicals
User in Chemicals

"A very good software"

What do you like best?

The wide range of functionalities that can be used to create the design and accomplish task.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is anything specific that I disklike

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a very solid software that will meet your design needs

Drawings and design.

TurboCAD review by Ricky R.
Ricky R.

"cheaper cad software that gets the job done"

What do you like best?

If your main job is doing 2D drawings then you can't go wrong with this software. You don't need expensive hardware to run this.

What do you dislike?

Does okay 3d simple drawings but there is better software out there that handles 3d imaging better.

Can do what autocad can do without breaking the bank.

TurboCAD review by Consultant in Civil Engineering
Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Easy to use powerful drafting program."

What do you like best?

As powerful as AutoCAD, but more affordable.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I haven't used the program in awhile, I have some difficulty finding some of the commands I am looking for.

I mostly use it for 2D drafting. I do not utilize the full capabilities of the program.

TurboCAD review by Peter B.
Peter B.

"I have worked successfully with TurboCad since version 2 in 1995. Using version 20 now"

What do you like best?

The user interface is easily to use and very flexible. The prices are great for a small company. Compatibility with AutoCad files is excellent.

What do you dislike?

I am not familiar with AutoCad so I don't know how they compare. Most likely there are features of AutoCad that are not found in TurboCad, but I don't know of any

We build custom furniture and are able to export 3d models from Sketchup into TurboCad in preparation for CNC machining with ease.

TurboCAD review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Great Program"

What do you like best?

Great program I just started to use turbo cad recently and I thought it was going to be difficult but after a couple of days it was no problem

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I would change bit the price is a little steep

Drawing

TurboCAD review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Been using 20 years"

What do you like best?

pasting in documents and spreadsheets and easy editing

What do you dislike?

cost. updates are now over $300. too much

none

Learning about TurboCAD?

* We monitor all TurboCAD reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.