Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

(21 reviews)

Turbonomic workload automation for hybrid cloud environments delivers enterprise organizations with automation that enables on-premises and public cloud to self-manage in real-time, thereby assuring application performance while lowering cost and maintaining compliance with business policies. The platform matches workload demand to infrastructure supply, helping customers maintain a continuous state of application health.

Work for Turbonomic?

Learning about Turbonomic?

Turbonomic Reviews

Ask Turbonomic a Question
Showing 22 Turbonomic reviews
Turbonomic review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great tool that is useful in our environment with active customer engagement"

What do you like best?

The ability to set policies in which CPU and MEM are balanced automatically based upon usage. It creates a hands off approach to administering host level monitoring and we have learned to trust the tool to handle this level of administration for us.

What do you dislike?

We thought we would have the ability to do storage level forecasting based upon usage. Put another way, we were hopeful that Turbonomics would be able to analyze our storage usage and the growth of our environment and then make predictive recommendations for when we need to procure more storage. We attempted this feature with the storage module but found that it wasn't quite what we were looking for. Manual forecasting was still required.

The ability to remove the day-to-day host level management of CPU and MEM utilization has been a great benefit, especially in a constrained environment. It's allowed our team to work on other items within our organization.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Turbonomic
Turbonomic review by Eric E.
Eric E.

"Great for capacity planning"

What do you like best?

Using the planning tools in Turbonomic, I am able to run multiple hardware replacement scenarios to determine the most cost-effective configuration to grow or reconfigure my VM environment. In addition to the planning capabilities, Turbonomic also continually balances workload in my environment.

What do you dislike?

The capabilities are incredible, but the interface is not always intuitive. That said, support is fantastic - when I have a business problem to solve, they will help me use the tools to resolve it.

I believe my environment is more reliable as a result of the actions that Turbonomic initiates. In addition, I feel confident in properly sizing my environment so that I am not over-spending on hardware.

What Workload Automation solution do you use?

Turbonomic review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Turbonomics enables me to do my job better!"

What do you like best?

Turbonomic allows us to optimize available resources to effectively use the hardware we have in place. It gives us a good end to end view of our virtual environments which makes troubleshooting easier. We also use it to find problems quicker which reduces the blame game and helps us focus in on the providing excellent service to our clients. We're starting to allow more automation and expect to see further efficiency gains with its adoption across the company.

What do you dislike?

The interface isn't the most intuitive to pickup at first

We are able to identify VMs that aren't leveraging their assigned resources and move them elsewhere. This allows us to optimize resources and cut down on unnecessary spend.

Turbonomic review by Sebastien L.
Sebastien L.

"Monitor any physical machines, virtual servers and more from one console."

What do you like best?

The software is really complete and setup is easy : you juste have to deploy the VMTurbo virtual machine in your environnement and to provide correct credencials. After that, just use discovery and/or add your hosts (for example vsphere or xenserver).

Once completed you just have to access the web interface where you will find the dahsboard and a few usefull tabs (Invenroty, Admin, Workload, etc...). Everything is configurable, you can add, move or configure a lot of informations panels. Report section comes with a lot of predefined report but you can create your own customized reports too.

Interface is simple : there is a left pane where you can expand items (Physical machines, Storage, VM, Applications) in order to see informations you're searching for.

What do you dislike?

Well, as there are many many informations, it's sometimes quite hard to retrieve specific details but that's maybe because I'm not too familiar with monitoring softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product seems powerfull and complete but I think you need to have a little experience with this kind of products to be able to use it properly.

The best thing for me is that I can monitor VMware and XenServer virtual machines from one place.

"Trustworthy Automation"

What do you like best?

I like that fact that it balances out the virtual environment, with little administration required. Set up your policies as desired, and let Turbonomic do its thing in the background.

What do you dislike?

It's a little complex to learn initially, and the cost is somewhat high. But the feature set and reliability is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's nearly impossible to properly manage a complex virtual environment without a product like Turbonomic. The software will pay for itself over time, and give you some insights into your environment that are invaluable.

We are able to get the most our of our existing hardware, by letting Turbonomic make CPU and memory decisions, and placing things on the correct host. This has enabled us to delay purchasing additional hardware, and also gives us great insight into the virtual environment. We can also run "plans" for the future, which is a great help with budgeting.

Turbonomic review by jneumann@osagenation-nsn.gov j.
jneumann@osagenation-nsn.gov j.

"I don't have to worry about the environment efficiency anymore."

What do you like best?

Turbonomic does exactly what is says it does. No frills, no gimmicks, it just works.

What do you dislike?

The new user interface. I think it is terrible. I want the old VMturbo user interface back.

Turbonomic keeps me from having to hire another employee to manage our VMware environment. We've saved an entire person's salary in the first year using Turbonomic.

Turbonomic review by Bennie L.
Bennie L.

"Virtual Machine Management at Ease"

What do you like best?

Provides efficiency across every cluster based on the supply and demand model at any given time.

What do you dislike?

Ease of use and customized reporting (Something that can be easily used with upper management on a monthly basis to show the trend in our environment).

Provides efficiency at peak hours and better use of resources at any given time.

Turbonomic review by Ben L.
Ben L.

"Great tool for environment analysis and automation"

What do you like best?

I like the way it can predict the utilization of your environment and tell you when you can expect to have to add resources.

What do you dislike?

In an environment that is experiencing a lot of resource contention, the autonomic functions can run much more often than standard DRS and cause many vMotions, causing potential issues in the environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool. Their algorithm for balancing a vSphere Environment is much better than standard DRS. Just make sure you test it out before you roll it into production. :)

Capacity Planning

Turbonomic review by Administrator

"Turbonomic Helps us Tear Down Cluster Constraints and Right Size our data center automatically"

What do you like best?

Turbonomic provides us the ability to build less clusters but at larger capacities. Removing the physical limitations of a cluster and leveraging turbonomic for logical segmentation allows us to better and more efficiently utilize our investment.

What do you dislike?

Finding the stable versions that meets out requirements has been a several year challenge but we believe that we are reaching a steady state.

Automated right sizing with on demand hot add of resources when the workload intensifies. In addition downsizing virtual workloads when they are over utilized.

Turbonomic review by Amie W.
Amie W.

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

From the moment we started using it, we started seeing an instant return on investment. We had allocated way too much to some servers and not enough to other servers.

What do you dislike?

The only complaint that we may have is that they changed the pricing structure. We haven't seen that yet for this year so it may be over our budget.

We are saving on purchasing new storage and servers because we realize now that we have more than we need.

"Valuable Tool"

What do you like best?

Turbonomic allows me to be confident that I have my resources allocated to the best utilization. It has helped me contain costs and provide consistent performance.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind. It does what I need it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing comes to mind at the moment

We have seen a decrease in spending on resources. Now we can see where the resources need to be balanced and not just throw money for memory or more servers.

Turbonomic review by Troy W.
Troy W.

"VMTurbo - Must have for every data center"

What do you like best?

Encapsulates and simplifies the core troubles of a modern and next gen data center. Provides the needed insight to make smart decisions and couples that with it's own intelligence to make many of those decisions for you, further reducing risk. Highly flexible and adaptable platform allowing it to reach into the necessary parts of my data center. Has saved me countless hours while also ensuring project success without effort. Makes deployment simple yet predictable. Makes sure I get the most out of my virtualized infrastructure, which is very important for me.

What do you dislike?

Would like a free to use version for small deployments which would be helpful for my test/dev lab. Might not be a disklike as I haven't explored it but would be great to have a REST API that ties in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gets you beyond the struggles and challenges of managing, monitoring, and scaling a modern day and next gen data center. Gives you your life back allowing more time to focus on business value add tasks or just having a personal life. Well rounded product that is worth it's weight in gold.

Making efficient decisions regarding my virtualized infrastructure to ensure it's optimally used and optimally performing. Hard to keep track of what's going on in a data center and VMTurbo provided critical insight and even automation to ensure things go smoothly. I don't have to babysit the infrastructure anymore allowing me more time to take on higher value tasks and projects.

Turbonomic review by Aaron H.
Aaron H.

"VMTurbo is currently doing what no one else is"

What do you like best?

VMTurbo is taking virtual infrastructure "monitoring" to a whole new level. Instead of the typical "threshold" and respond type monitoring, VMTurbo acts preventively to keep your environment at a user defined "good" state. Even out of the box, it can be a "set it and forget it" type tool that keeps your virtual environment running to the best of it's potential.

Other key features include:

- reclaiming wasted disk space

- out of the box reporting

- create groups of VMs by custom criteria

- simulate what adding hosts or VMs will do to your environment

- easy setup

- easy to exclude VMs from different actions with policies

Very customizable and you can get very granular with what it does and does not do from entire vCenter level all the way down to VM level.

What do you dislike?

Old clunky GUI. Certain things require a complete browser page refresh or even clearing browser cache to get things to update.

Not much else to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a great tool if you are willing to give it the rights to make vmotions and storage vmotions in your environment. It does have the "give recommendations" and you can manually process those moves, but if you let it do it's thing, it can relieve you of many headaches.

Also, one other thing, it has definitely been able to show us problem points. For example, we were seeing some failed vmotions and when I researched more through VMTurbo, I was able to pinpoint the problem host, mitigate the problem, and minimize downtime.

This tool basically is a 24/7 "keep your virtual environment optimized".

In all honestly can eliminate a full head count of work.... easily.

Also, reporting features are a great way to prove to upper level management the need for additional hardware for your environment. VMTurbo will tell you to provision a new host based on your environment's utilization. Also, with the planning tool, you can simulate potential or planned future growth and thus get exactly what you need.

No more being crazy over provisioned. VMTurbo will allow you to save money if you feel you are just "buying more hardware" so you don't get caught off guard. So, instead of being too over-provisioned, you can actually know exactly what you need and when you need to buy more.

"UHS Turbonomic Install"

What do you like best?

The installation was easy and to integrate my vm environment was quick and simple.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I dislike. The tool is easy to use and easy to set up.

Turbonomic gives UHS a single pane of glass into our VM environment that we can report off of and easily tell what needs attention.

Turbonomic review by User

"Excellent product and excellent support for virtual workload management on premise or cloud "

What do you like best?

The ability it has to provide Performance Assurance. It monitors workload and provides advice and/or automation to address performance issues. Also, its ability to model changing workload capacity and accurately project resources needed to support that capacity.

What do you dislike?

New releases need to be tested thoroughly to determine if previous fixes are still retained.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent solution for virtual workload cost management.

We are reclaiming over provisioned capacity to defer purchase of additional compute capacity.

We also achieved over $1,000,000 in ROI in less than two years of using this product.

Turbonomic review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Turbonomic is easy to use and understand. I love the capacity planning tool to help us plan for future infrastructure hardware purchases. I also think the reporting is great and has proven to be very valuable to my leadership team.

What do you dislike?

Over all the GUI is easy to use but it could be easier to find certain features/functions within the GUI.

Capacity planning which enables us to more accurately determine how much hardware we would need to add to bring on another application within our infrastructure.

Turbonomic review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Turbocharge your virtual environment"

What do you like best?

The auto balance is probably still there best and go to feature and value add of the product

What do you dislike?

Still, the interface is lacking must say this has always been one of the weaker points the UI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More competitive market than it used to be.

Optimization.

"Decent Product"

What do you like best?

It's good for right-sizing your vms, it's affordable, and not nearly as cumbersome as the vSphere solution.

What do you dislike?

The user interface leaves a bit to be desired, the old one and the new one.

Right-sizing VMs automatically reduces resource constraint on VMs and improves application performance.

Turbonomic review by Dale G.
Dale G.

"Pays for itself"

What do you like best?

The right sizing analytics are best of breed across the board

What do you dislike?

Building out policies was easier before the HTML5 interface

Right sizing, VMware placement, forecasting, cloud budget management, and justification for compute/storage expansions

Turbonomic review by Administrator in Paper & Forest Products
Administrator in Paper & Forest Products

"Turbonomics has been great for quick a quick analysis of data and assets."

What do you like best?

the ease of discovery of my environment and reporting

What do you dislike?

report flexibility product development to keep up with VMware versions

resource usage and reporting

"The ups and downs"

What do you like best?

Automation works well when the rules are configured. Can easily use it to move many terabytes of data

What do you dislike?

Release cycle every two weeks. Support takes to long to resolve issues. Not all features moved over to new interface

Workload lplacement. Automation. Forecasting

Turbonomic review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Great service and usability"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and support team associated

What do you dislike?

Lacks comprehensive integration into on premises hypervisor and platforms

Capacity planning

Automation

Learn more about Turbonomic

Turbonomic Videos

Learning about Turbonomic?

* We monitor all Turbonomic reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(21 reviews)