Twilio

Twilio lets you use standard web languages to build voice, VoIP and SMS applications via a web API. Build the next generation of communications with us.

Work for Twilio?

Learning about Twilio?

Twilio Reviews

Ask Twilio a Question
Showing 197 Twilio reviews
Twilio review by Rachel D.
Rachel D.

"Awesome tool for many telephony options!"

What do you like best?

I love Twilio's flexibility...so many ways to write custom code for handling call flows, and it gives us multiple options for phone connectivity too: on the one side, we're using the Elastic SIP Trunking as a SIP trunk for our PBX, and we are also separately are trying out the Programmable Voice feature that lets us register endpoints (like Polycom desk phones) directly to Twilio without a SIP trunk involved. Twilio can do much more that we haven't even explored yet, and it really feels like they're growing fast with more and more new features and are on the cutting edge of innovation.

What do you dislike?

There's so much that Twilio can do, but their collection of example code and tutorials is very difficult to find your way around, at least for me personally. Most of the time I have to resort to Google searching to try to pinpoint the specific tutorial or example of a given topic, since it's not very clear to me how to work my way through the tutorial sub-site internally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio allows apps to be written in most major programming languages, so as long as you have a programmer or team of programmers, no matter what language, you ought to be able to build some great apps and call flows!

We started using Twilio specifically for its ability to handle SMS/MMS/messaging that we could integrate into our customer's existing phone system. Twilio has a great amount of flexibility with writing custom apps for handling phone numbers, so we can have separate handling for incoming voice calls versus incoming text messages to the same phone number.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Twilio
Twilio review by Brandon F.
Brandon F.

"Awesome SMS API"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily send and receive SMS messages, including auto-responders based on specific data points.

What do you dislike?

Twilio's control panel is extremely powerful, but with that power brings confusion. The way you set up certain things (such as callback URLs or assigning phone numbers) can be a little confusing when you are managing more than one service in one control panel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Identify your exact and specific needs before you sign on, and then focus on achieving those goals. Twilio has a lot of capabilities and their control panel can be confusing - their services are definitely more technically oriented than user-based in my opinion, so you may benefit from leveraging a tech company's integration services.

We leverage Twilio for multiple purposes. Firstly, our agents (real estate agents) can subscribe to be notified when new leads are assigned to them, or when new unassigned leads are imported into our system from various sources. Secondly, our software automatically allows anyone to send an SMS to our Twilio number with an MLS id number and receive information back about the property without any human intervention (and this process doubles as a lead capture system to capture the sender's phone number, and sometimes their name through Twilio's baked-in addon support).

What Cloud Communication Platforms solution do you use?

Twilio review by Peter L.
Peter L.

"Settings hte bar for SMS and Voice Automation "

What do you like best?

Twilio is very reliable and easy to get started on. The concepts are relatively simple and the price is very reasonable.

What do you dislike?

Higher end functionality with Twilio can start to get confusing, and by default they do not set things up in a manner that is the most secure. They could do a better job of letting the user know how to set things up securely, and also how to make the most of their functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is great for getting started, but really take some time to read up on everything it can do and evaluate all the functionality, both in terms of what it can do *for* you and what is can possibly do *to* you. Their customer support is friendly and responsive in case you make a mistake or just have a question, so dont be afraid to reach out and speak with them.

I am using Twilio to send SMS messages for Forgotten Password systems on websites, customer follow ups for insurance, and lead outreach for insurance agencies. We have even incorporated their voice and telephone technologies into critical system alerts after hours.

Twilio review by Jose Q.
Jose Q.

"Your communications system, everywhere!"

What do you like best?

Twilio is a very extensive and comprehensive communications platform in the cloud. It has literally everything you need to start a company's inbound and outbound communications system from absolutely zero, or to revamp an existing local PBX system to use Cloud-based capabilities. What I absolutely love from Twilio is the enormous expansion possibilities that it has via programming (it supports Ruby, PHP, Perl and Java, among others), and for the non-initiated the "Getting Started" tutorials are just perfect to get a go in hours, not days.

What do you dislike?

There are so many useful and powerful features in Twilio that there is really not much to dislike; however, since everything has a margin for improvements, I'd add "Twilio Softphones", that can be deployed to endpoints (or remotely via email or other means) already preprogrammed with the required SIP domain authentication values. Currently, for SIP, each customer needs to provide their own softphonn software and program them by hand. That feature would be absolutely the best addition to top an already excellent communications suite!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go for it! Even if you internally use an on-premises PBX solution such as Asterisk or Cisco you can easily integrate it with Twilio via SIP Trunking and take advantage of the huge quantity of communication capabilities it provides! And it even provides you with a free Trial account (phone number included!) for you to experiment and evaluate it, so it's a no-lose scenario.

Our entire communications infrastructure is in Twilio. We previously had a mixture of several providers (both Cloud and on-premises) for that, but with Twilio we consolidated inbound and outbound telephony, SMS campaigns, IVR capabilities, call recording and customizable extensions, and even integration with our CRM platform.

Twilio review by Rich W.
Rich W.

"Exceptionally reliable service, but expensive"

What do you like best?

Its been exceptionally reliable, we never had any problems at all. As we are looking to international expansion it is also quite (exceptionally) cheap in some localities such as the US, it is also plug in and play so we don't need to change any code apart from getting a local number. Very cheap to acquire telephone numbers which is great. Twilio chat is an exciting addition which we are looking to implement shortly, a great solution to handling web sockets on auto scaling clusters (with the complication of having multiple instances running at once). We have been offered discounts ( and got a discount for being a y combinator alumni) which is awesome, but the on going offer is only 10% which i feel could be more generous.

What do you dislike?

Live reporting could be more instant, usually takes 2+ minutes to appear in logs which when you are developing / testing can be slightly annoying. Its also exceptionally expensive in the uk compared to some other rivals such as voodoo sms. Australia + Denmark strangely expensive. Twilio chat has a limit of 1000 chats per user which means we'll have to delete messages as we go which will bring chat out of alignment with our internal database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it when your time is expensive, consider switching providers when your scale makes it very expensive

We use twilio for our transactional notifications. Exceptionally easy to implement and great documentation at a cost.

Twilio review by Administrator

"Twilio is awesome! It is so powerful and easy to use that everyone can integrate with it in hours!"

What do you like best?

I love how simple the Twilio APIs are, and also how well documented they are. You can find examples of code, use cases and real world documentation very easily. There are many examples of use cases of exiting mobile applications that have extended their services to improve the user experience by integrating chat, messaging, video, conference calling and many other benefits of twilio.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the pricing too much. It feels like for small start ups that are trying to find product market fit it can be very difficult to commit to a product like this when things go at scale. It would be great if Twilio could offer a very nice free trial package so that business without much funds can start using it and get up to speed with their customers before they have to increase on expenses related to cloud computing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the youtube videos to see how other people are using twilio. There are amazing number of applications all over the world of people easily integrating Twilios communication platform such as video, audio, whatsapp integrations, and many other ways of using text messaging as well.

We are allowing hikers to connect each other by using our mobile app and the built in chat.

Twilio review by Darryl L.
Darryl L.

"Twilio simplifies SMS communications with customers"

What do you like best?

The API that Twilio provides makes it easy for us to provide two-way SMS communication with customers. We build a web service, send a message (or messages) and all the plumbing is taken care of for us.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that there's anything in particular that I don't like about Twilio. The functionality provided perfectly fits our business requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Twilio a try - create a trial account, buy a phone number (it's cheap - $1/mo) and create some simple TwiML in the online configuration tool. You'll be amazed how easy it is to get started and how easy it is to build more complex solutions.

Communication with customers is a key indicator of customer satisfaction. Even if the subject of the communication is not always positive (we are a public utility and use Twilio to send SMS messages to our customers during power outages) just the communication itself has a positive impact on our customer relationships.

Twilio review by Kate Z.
Kate Z.

"Programmable SMS for ChatBots"

What do you like best?

We currently use Twilio to send links to our web based chatbots. Twilio has been relatively seamless throughout the whole process. We've never had any errors in sending the messages, except for those that were generated by the cell provider.

Frankly, I rarely have to think about Twilio, even though it's the backbone of our product. In my mind, that's the backhone of a good product.

What do you dislike?

Two things:

- I can't use VPN with Twilio.com. Every time I try, it tells me my login is invalid. I've never had any issues using this product before.

- I would love to have better error email alerts. I receive emails for the first failure. These failures are almost always that someone replied STOP. In my mind, that isn't an error.

- It'd be cool if there was some way to have HIPPAA compliant SMS. I don't think this is within Twilio's control, but it would open up the health care industry more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We are currently solving the ability to reach patients on their phone, wherever they are. Twilio allows us to do this at scale, and gives us the ability to not have to build our own platform for sending SMS.

Twilio review by Brechin A.
Brechin A.

"Snippity Snap"

What do you like best?

Virtually everything I need in place and now with EMAIL integration. THANKS SendGrid! Most people think about how to utilize Twilio after they have a customer base or to get a business off the ground. But I have been viewing the benefits of setting up a customer ecosystem BEFORE my product or service comes to fruition. I want to communicate with my test users in real time to get a good idea of where I might be going wrong and how I can make things better. That way, when I come to market with a final version of a product I will have feedback from way more test users backing up the v1 of my product. Reach more test users means avoiding more launch problems for v1!

What do you dislike?

So far, now much. It is very intuitive. However, I would say it can be hard to explain what it is to people but I am sure that's my bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework! Make sure you create a checklist of everything you need and see if Twilio checks off those boxes before to go around looking for answers elsewhere. You could be surprised at how much Twilio can actually do for you!

I plan to use it to send data from a prototype product I am using. I am also hoping to communicate in real time with Beta test users to iterate in real time on issues and concerns to bring a product to market faster and smarter.

Twilio review by Josh S.
Josh S.

"Great products, doumentation less so"

What do you like best?

The product suite *techniclly* allows one to accomplish nearly all telephonic requirements one might have.

What do you dislike?

The documentation often only shows the "happy path" to implementing a given piece of functionality. This is incredibly frustrating when someone wishes to deviate from the samples that are posted. Most other API-based SAAS platforms offer robust documentation of all API functions/parameters. This is often buried on Twilio, if it exists at all.

Further, Twilio needs to stick with a data standard. If it's TWiML, then great. But some methods expect/return JSON. This makes it incredibly difficult for us to implement API interfaces on our side.

Finally, there are often multiple ways of accomplishing something like dialing a call in the NuGet package. I understand the need to maintain backward compatibility, but marking methods as deprecated would be very helpful -- especially since the documentation is inconsistent between old and new approaches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak to sales engineers before to see if *and how* business requirements can be met.

IVR-based verification of energy sales.

SMS link to web-based version of verifications.

Carrier lookup to detect early warning of fraud when sales rep sells to an outsize number of VOIP numbers.

Twilio review by José Antonio A.
José Antonio A.

"Follow the leader"

What do you like best?

We are a mexican based startup of digital marketing that that targets small to medium sized companies. Our potential merket is really big, but also very difficult to get on board cause of their limited budget. They want everything to work perfectly, they are very affected any potential buyer they loose.

Our approach is to give them the best tools to help them sell, Twilio has been a great partner to this end, every time we start a project we go to Twilio's website to check out their new features and gather ideas of what we could do; there has not been one time that we go to the site and do not find something innovative enough that inspires a new great tool for our clients.

What do you dislike?

Generally they have a great service, nevertheless, in the last month we have had some problems with the voice api and the programmable chat. As I described above, our clients are very sensitive of lost leads, so it impacted to us directly on our customer service.

We are concious that one problem was with the mexican carrier and the other one was because of the iphone's software update, but we think you could let us know that you think this bugs exist so we can do something about them, we thought everything was fine and the service wasn't working (200 status in all requests!).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the documentation, ask any doubt to support and try twilio quest to know all of the product capabilities.

We are centrilizing the communication between our clients and the potential buyers we get for them, our idelistic view of the company's future is to have our clients sales process automated, i.e. sell for them.

Twilio is developing the tools we need with amazing quality, they are innovative and have great customer support! Also, their ducomentatios ins beutiful.

Twilio review by Zak P.
Zak P.

"Adaptive solutions to our ever growing business"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to setup our clients with SMS. The API is easy to work with and once things are set up I know the system is reliable and will continue working. I also like the Twilio dashboard and the amount of things I can control from it. When I need to set up something out of the ordinary for one of my clients I usually know I can work it out on the dashboard without much assistance.

What do you dislike?

Right now it can be a pain to setup SMS for clients in certain foreign countries. Subumission of the personal identification and business registration, and having to retype it all in can be cumbersome. Also, it's difficult to separate identities and associate international phone numbers with each.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is a great SMS platform for both small and large businesses.

Right now Twilio handles our 2 way messages for our clients so they can talk to their customers. They are able to confirm or cancel appointments ahead of time and can get notified instantly if they are on a waitlist and a spot becomes available.

Twilio review by Andrew W.
Andrew W.

"Rapid deployment of very functional, profitable tools"

What do you like best?

I like how you can interact with the API at whatever level you need, regardless of language. I can deploy simple workflows with the "serverless" architecture to handle quick tasks, or build out a fully integrated enterprise grade solution. The console is incredibly deep and functional without being completely confusing.

What do you dislike?

At times the level of effort required to deploy more end-user/agent tools is a bit daunting. In addition to our SMS outreach and call routing, we want to eventually move our call center agents to a cloud based solution, but we aren't yet at a place with the product where we can accomodate this because our development team is so small.

We needed to be able to SMS roughly 115k numbers daily, and to do so with local presence. We were able to get a production MVP deployed in under 3 weeks. Since then we've grown the complexity of the tool, but at its core that first 3 week's worth of effort remains the backbone of our product.

Twilio review by Allen H.
Allen H.

"Always Impressed"

What do you like best?

If I ever have a question on some new feature I am implementing, it will always be answered quickly either through documentation or through a very responsive support team. They provide samples of working software along with verbose documentation to get you up and running as quickly as possible. I have yet to run across a defect in their software.

What do you dislike?

The console is a bit of a hassle. It is not laid out well and I am always having to search for things that I need. If the console was laid out a little bit better, this would be unbeatable software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are an industry leader in the space. I wouldn't really consider using anybody else.

I use Twilio to send notification reminders to Jurors for their jury duty. I also use it for a very basic IVR solution to inform jurors when/where their service is.

Twilio review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Twilio Rocks!"

What do you like best?

The only thing better than the ease of use of their APIs and their wonderful documentation is the quality of their service(s).

Having worked on their platform for the last 5 years I can count on one hand (finger actually) when services that we (and our clients) depend on were not available. One can't ask for better than that!

What do you dislike?

At times, it seems like the changes and new product releases come too frequently to fully digest their offerings without spending full time watching this wonderful company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hang on tight, it is going to be a great ride!

Seriously, choose the platform/service of your choice and dive in!

Primarily using the technology to assist our clients to accurately track the effectiveness of their marketing efforts. As a side benefit, we are also using their product to drive customer acquisition and increase customer retention.

Twilio review by User in Computer Software

"Great Tool For Experienced Users"

What do you like best?

Twilio offers a better price point than others in the industry. This better price point makes the service easier to sell in conjunction with our software service. Also, we are able to connect this service to our software to allow customers to easily submit their appointment reminders for calls or texts. I also feel the text option is very attractive in this day and age. I know I personally would rather receive a text than a call.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not very user friendly for reporting or finding data for a specific sub-customer. With the prior service, the customer would just have to stop using the service to no longer be charged. Occasionally, we still have incoming activity for customers that have canceled service. We've also had a few complaints that the messages are very 'robotic' in comparison to our previous service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio can be very useful as long as you are able to create an API to pull the data. I don't love the UI reporting.

We use Twilio for appointment confirmation call and text services for our customers. It is a service very often utilized by our customers in conjunction with the software that we offer. The reasonable price point and usage-based billing make this an attractive offering.

Twilio review by Nik W.
Nik W.

"Leveraging Twilio to help our customers have a great experience"

What do you like best?

Twilio gives us the ability to give customers an improved user experience. With Twilio we ensure that our customers are always alerted to anything they need. We have the ability to mass communicate across our platform simply and quickly. The most important thing for me, is Twilio helps my customer have a great experience.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about Twilio. Really the only thing I dislike, is I know we can be better using different Twilio products, but I don't know how they work or how to leverage them in my current system. It would be great to have better communication from our account manager to understand these functions.

In our business (healthcare software) it's imperative to have quick communication across an agency. With Twilio we are able to allow for instant communication across large health care systems.

Twilio review by Jen N.
Jen N.

"Great customer service!"

What do you like best?

Working with Twilio has been a pleasure! They're always available to answer questions and dig into any concerning deliverability issues, which is super critical for us when we're sending out hundreds of thousands of messages. It's great to know that Twilio is handling relations with carriers to make sure our messages are compliant and will get through!

What do you dislike?

Not a major dislike, but at times it's difficult to know what new features are and when they're launching. For example, the pricing information for Twilio Studio is unclear on the website.Also, as one of Twilio's largest non-profits using Twilio in a unique way, it's difficult when issues are affecting only us.

Trying to message and engage with 3 million young people. Twilio has been instrumental in allowing us to create more flexible messaging flows and better understand deliverability.

Twilio review by Steven M.
Steven M.

"Twilio allow for a great customer experience"

What do you like best?

Working in healthcare it's important to allow for quick communication across our platform. Leveraging Twilio we can quickly alert doctors and clinicians of changes in patient care. On top of that, our clients love this alerting technology. Twilio makes our software look good, and ensures that patients receive the care they need.

What do you dislike?

Really there's not much I dislike about Twilio. I do wish we had a more personal connection with our Account Manager. Right now I know there are other products we could leverage, but I don't understand what they do or how to deploy them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find out about all the available solutions. There are several products you can leverage.

We are creating instant communication across massive healthcare systems, ensuring that users are alerted in real time to changes in patient conditions.

Twilio review by Deborah E.
Deborah E.

"Twilio has a global reach. "

What do you like best?

Twilio is the most extensive communications platform I have used. It has a fast learning curve and users are backed by a great support service in terms of the helpdesk support team and unlimited articles and videos on the Twilio website, which provide a dependable intro and advanced guides to users to learn the basics of this program.

I also love the SMS deliverability rate, practically all of our SMS get delivered to our clients successfully and the geographical reach is practically worldwide. Enabling us verify clients from all over the world.

What do you dislike?

Delivering SMS to non-western countries are usually very expensive, in comparism to local alternative services. However the effectiveness of Twilio, more than makes up for the day expensive rate.

We use Twilio to verify the mobile phones of our clients and customers and it has always done a great job. No matter the geographical location, Twilio SMS and call verifications gets there.

Twilio review by Roger B.
Roger B.

"Great provider!"

What do you like best?

Ease of their new UI makes navigation a lot better and support has been top-notch throughout our experience. I've enjoyed having a dedicated account manager as well for issue escalation and product walk-through when new features are released.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a challenge to get issues that have been escalated resolved but once we upgraded our support plan, we were taken care of by our dedicated account manager.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great phone provider with great support (if you pay for it). If you can afford the time and money (and potential hassle) of getting on a trial program to determine if it's a good fit, I'd recommend giving them a try.

Best way to get unique buy-in and customization for our clients needs. We have realized a lot of cost-savings by scaling with Twilio as a business partner and as we expand our product offerings, we've really relied on up-to-date technologies being developed by Twilio.

Twilio review by Olivia C.
Olivia C.

"Great support and development help"

What do you like best?

Talking to a person is easy with Twilio, so is getting super quick help with a problem

What do you dislike?

Expensive compared to similar services but service usually makes up for it. Bulk discounts too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If cost is an obstacle, Nexmo is similarly ranked but doesn't offer the service that Twilio does. You get what you pay for with them and although the bill isn't my favorite part of the month, I'm grateful for their friendly service when I need it.

We are solving a phone number relay obstacle within our software code. When transitioning from shortcode to longcode Twilio has assisted through the implementation of their Copilot tool, making us more affordable for smaller businesses.

Twilio review by User

"Great service for adding telephony and sms to your product"

What do you like best?

Great APIs/libraries and simple integrations makes it a breeze to include voice & sms to your product. Handles good volume and service uptime has been outstanding.

What do you dislike?

Pricing can get slightly steeper in some areas of the world, and there are unsupported areas in the world where they haven't quite extended their reach, so you can't buy a local number in the region to lower the cost of sending messages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is a safe bet, and a big player in the space. There are however others that try to undercut Twilio in terms of pricing, which may be worthwhile consideration. In terms of product integration, Twilio has been one of the most simple, headache-free choices, so would certainly recommend.

We use it primarily to send SMS notifications to our customers.

Twilio review by Jacinda S.
Jacinda S.

"Great development partner"

What do you like best?

Twilio has been a consistent source of help for our organization. Their clear documentation, focus on making things work in the simplest way possible, and fantasic support on a technical side has been a huge help to Doctor On Demand. We started with SMS and then became one of their earliest users of Programmable Video, which powers all of the telemedicine visits on our platform.

What do you dislike?

The error console can be a bit finicky to navigate and view tracebacks, etc. Other than that there's nothing we actively dislike and Twilio is making improvements areas that will make the product even better for us.

Twilio powers all the SMS reminders on our platforms as well as the video for the telemedicine visits we provide.

Twilio review by Alain M.
Alain M.

"Director, Product Management"

What do you like best?

Global reach of telecom supernetwork for voice and SMS presence in countries around the world. Ease of use of API. Flexibility of Elastic SIP Trunking service.

What do you dislike?

Twilio deals with a lot of smaller carriers internationally and that has caused call quality issues with some of our customers, forcing Twilio (through laborious tracing sessions with us) to blacklist these carriers. A more comprehensive vetting of carriers abroad would help alleviate this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great company and model. Working through some wrinkles with international carrier support, but the ease of use of the API and the simplicity of implementing solutions such as Elastic SIP Trunking make Twilio a sure bet as a partner.

The ability to process calls and SMS messages worldwide.

Twilio review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"Used Twilio for 8 years"

What do you like best?

Twilio gives us some amazing tools to configure and automate our communication from our platform. We use twillio today in Alleva to allow us to automate alerting to our users and their patients of important medical information.

What do you dislike?

I wish they did a better job offering deeper education on their tools and how to implement them. I know we are not leveraging them to the extent we could. I basically have to go to Signal every year to learn what I need, instead of more online training options.

We help our mental and addiction recovery programs stay compliant with alerts from Twilio inside our app. We also leverage twilio to notify patients of appointments or other important information.

Twilio review by User

"Super feature rich Twilio Flex"

What do you like best?

I love how robust the features are in Twilio. Every communications format is available, from SMS to Video to Chat, Voice and Fax. Allows for effective managing of campaigns.

What do you dislike?

Maybe too technical in its design and setup. While being feature rich is nice, being able to easily customize those features can be confusing and lengthy of a process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it out, and make sure to contact support with any questions about how to set up certain campaigns. The free trial gives you more than enough of an opportunity to evaluate and I think that it offers more than enough features to satisfy any team.

To have all of our communication campaigns accessible in one place and not need separate clients/platforms to run SMS campaigns.

Twilio review by CJ P.
CJ P.

"Great for SMS"

What do you like best?

Twilio has some really good webhooks for receiving new messages, as well and getting status updates for when an SMS message has been delivered or failed. We also really like Twilio's Hosted SMS feature.

What do you dislike?

We have run into some deliverability issues when sending text messages at times. Mainly because we send links for people to click on so they can hit one of our web pages. It would be nice if Twilio had more authority with phone carriers so that they could improve that for customers that are sending non-spam links.

We provide SMS services for small businesses. So Twilio has be crucial is helping small businesses realize the benefit of texting their customer's.

Twilio review by Randall D.
Randall D.

"One of my favorite API Services"

What do you like best?

I love the DX the most: simple APIs, great docs, a nice dashboard, and crystal clear documentation.

What do you dislike?

Developer libraries for web frameworks could be improved. EG: why not make in-depth developer libraries for each major web framework that have deep integrations? This way, developers like me can be even lazier =)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It is the best telco API service around, by far. I've worked with and evaluated a ton (and even built some myself). Twilio has the most offerings, the simplest APIs and integrations, and is headed in the right direction. A+

Sending SMS communications to customers, acting as a virtual PBX. It's been helpful in establishing real-time comm solutions for us.

Twilio review by Consultant

"Twilio reseller"

What do you like best?

The Twilio products are very well described, easy to begin work with and provide a reliable service. The team who work with us from Twilio are very supportive and clearly want to make a success out of our engagement.

What do you dislike?

At this point not much really, I guess that the lack of dev meetups in the UK for customers/partners is a bit of a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio provide a service that is very easy to comprehend and to consume. It provides predictability and reliability in services where that matters but also adds innovation in a number of areas to diffefrentiate their product and your ability to serve your customers. They are backed up by a passionate team who are both technically literate and have good business acumen.

We are addressing the need for our customers to get quick service with their phone numbers - basically shortening the purchase cycle and simplifying the support and operational models for their phone number portfolio.

Twilio review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Great experience, learned a lot"

What do you like best?

I am really excited about Flex UI, the ability to fully customize a UI makes development so much easier and smoother. I am also really excited about now having email on the same platform and eventually being able to use the email UI within flex

What do you dislike?

I would like if there was more access to bathrooms in the venue as well it was quite chilly most of the time and some heat would have improved the experience. In terms of the conference, however, I have quite enjoyed it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of how easy this software is to use, there is not another platform in the market that will offer the same level of experience with the equivalent ease of use. The APIs make everything very simple and intuitive and your user communications will never be easier than using twilio. Also definitely take advantage of the Flex UI it will make your experience that much better.

We are able to seamlessly communicate with our users across all channels, providing 2FA as well as email verificaion and all of the other challenges that have been presented with communications

Twilio review by Administrator

"The easiest IoT setup there is"

What do you like best?

Just as the self-explanatory title portrays, Twilio has allowed me and my friends to start IoT projects seamlessly and immediately after acquiring the SIM cards - get on and start hacking! The most appreciated aspect is the price aspect, paying only for the amount of data you actually send over the network. Moreover, Twilio allows for very secure data trasmission through their own network, yet connect to Internet easily - overall very nice user-friendliness that is sometimes difficult to come by.

What do you dislike?

Twilio has grown large - and with that, there are many applications for its different programs and structures, and it's becoming difficult to parse them efficiently. This is a very mild complain though, as my overall experience is very positive!

Recommendations to others considering the product

My experience is very personal - small, local-size IoT projects. As such, my recommendations can hardly be general, but in the niche area I work in, Twilio does its job well.

Making small IoT projects that only require tiny bits of data in different time periods has become easy without prepaid plans or data bundles - with Twilio, pay for what you use and be sure to get the best experience.

Twilio review by Administrator

"Pretty good, with caveats"

What do you like best?

New features open up possibilities for many things going forward. Flex looks like it could be pretty good, and the payments thing introduced today looks promising. Secure SIP trunking overall works pretty well and have only had a few minor issues with it so far.

What do you dislike?

* Most new features coming out aren't available for Secure SIP trunks

* Customer service is often not up to expectations, doing things that traditional carriers would never do (making changes to account without permission), or not being familiar with a given technology to the point necessary to help with a problem

* Sorting on the GUI is non existant. I have 5,000+ numbers on my account and can't view them in the GUI in any sort of way other than a randomized list of 10 at a time. I can view more when accessing programmatically, but, while I like the ability to do things programattically where they make sense, I shouldn't have to look up the API guide, make a series of API calls, and then process that data into a usable format every time I want to look at my numbers

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is basically pretty good, and definitely seems to be headed in the right direction, but be prepared for a few niggles, especially if coming from a traditional telecom carrier relationship.

Secure SIP trunking

SMS bots

IVR

Potentially call center (Flex) in the future

Twilio review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Flexibility to scale our SMS program"

What do you like best?

SInce we started to use Twilio last year for our SMS program, we've been able to scale our strategy and create message flows that work for our user experience. It's been great to see Twilio come out with new products that fit into our program, and give our developers the flexiblity to connect them with our own applications.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a developer, so I like when I'm able to use more out of the box - user interface programs. Things like Studio and Flex provide that, but for some festures still require some technical skill. We use it primarily for SMS, and the more we scale, the more expensive it becomes due to carrier fees - that's probably the biggest pain point, especially as a non-profit. It would be great to have a closer relationship to those carriers to help small non profits waive those fees. Another pain point for SMS is the ability to see how many segments we're sending the messages as. We see that longer messages over 160 characters can be helpful to create higher conversion rates on content - how can we better see the cost per message as it's broken out by segments?

We use Twilio to send SMS to our users to keep them engaged. SMS has a high open rate, so we see the benefits of using the medium to increase engagement and bring people back to our site. We've also realized that SMS can be a great way to promote cross channel, and send users to other channels we use like email, web, or social media.

Twilio review by Administrator

"great service, easy to set up routes"

What do you like best?

I love having so many numbers to choose from, and being able to sort and find everything that I need. I am able to port and host numbers seamlessly and start my customers with their current numbers.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a direct support line or a chat feature I could use. I don't like having to send emails every time I need help. they are pretty quick to respond but if I need immediate help I do not have a direct contact or somewhere I can go quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend using Twilio. They have a clear platform and a great service

giving our clients texting phone numbers, porting in existing numbers, and hosting SMS and MMS services

Twilio review by Tiffany M.
Tiffany M.

"I used Twilio Studio to easily direct users to download our apps "

What do you like best?

I liked that it was super easy. It was literally connecting flows. I love that it was user friendly and I didn't need any coding experience. Anybody can do it.

What do you dislike?

Twilio Studio is super easy to use. I didn't run into any problems. There's nothing negative to say about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm constantly recommending Twilio. They are amazing and super easy.

Sometime finding apps in the app store can be frustrating for our users so I made it so that any of our users can text the name of any of our apps to one phone number and receive a link to download that specific app.

Twilio review by George W.
George W.

"building stuff for good"

What do you like best?

honest pricing, developer friendly. Trust that i can point people to the platform and know it can handle scale.

What do you dislike?

This has gotten better over the years, but it was hard to get started with a basic proof of concept for a client. Provisioning a shortcode and managing keywords could also be easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the developer community behind any tech or platform you choose. Companies and platforms that support developers tend to be the right choice and Twilio is no exception.

Scales well. We build MVP solutions for nonprofits to see how their stakeholders respond then figure out if larger investment is worth it.

Twilio review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Easy to learn, difficult to master, endlessly powerful"

What do you like best?

Developer first interface and multiple options for using JS/React and or other languages. Lots of easy to use bits to get started and the new quest training is fun almost as good as trail head but like trail head for nerds.

What do you dislike?

They seem to be pushing new products very heavily and its a little annoying when you are asking about specific product or offering X and they tell you about new offering Y and then are like oh by product Y is not GA or ready or even availalble for you so its like gee thanks that not really helpful... Please stop pitching me products that don't exist yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to a reference and get your hands on the product before making any decisions.

How to easily engage with our clients and our customers. Specifically solving B2C uses and streamlining BP.

Twilio review by Ryan D.
Ryan D.

"Twilio contact center"

What do you like best?

Twilio has made building a contact center extremely straightforward with its api's. the api documentation is very easy to follow along and integrate into our applications.

What do you dislike?

there are some instances when we are not sure what is happening on the twilio end which causes some odd behaviors in our applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

twilio is evolving much like amazon evolved when it made its aws platform.

we are solving end to end communcation with our customers. we are able to take our lead generation and sell items to those leads based off our call center technology which is built on top of twilio.

Twilio review by Sebastian R.
Sebastian R.

"100% reliable "

What do you like best?

It just works. We have operations not only within the US but also in other countries, continents such as Africa where Twilio unfortunately is not an option and the providers we have to rely into just can't deliver.

What do you dislike?

Well, as I mentioned above, we have presence in multiple countries, some of those in Africa, where Twilio doesn't have whether voice, SMS or both

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really easy to use

We are a mobile education platform for low-income, low-literate adult learners and workforce. We use Twilio heavily to distribute our content using the Voice API and then sending questions and answers via SMS.

Twilio review by Bukola S.
Bukola S.

"Effective user resource guides. "

What do you like best?

I love the customer support team behind this program and how helpful and responsive they are. There have been times the support team has helped me fix my code palette.

I also greatly appreciate the amount of video and article resource available on the Twilio perform, to induct and guide new users on how to make the best and effective use of the potentials of this program.

What do you dislike?

Twilio has quite a difficult learning curve. To get started with this tool, you must have a developer experienced with Twilio tutor you.

We basically use Twilio as our mobile verification code sender and it has always done a fantastic job, with a worldwide mobile phone reach.

Twilio review by Jeremy J.
Jeremy J.

"Easy to Use APIs, Excellent Customer Service and Support"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to quickly build and test cloud communication software using Twilio's APIs, including programmable voice, programmable SMS, etc. We implemented Twilio's Voice API for a cloud-based e-learning platform as well as a small call center application, and it was incredibly easy to implement.

What do you dislike?

Although their APIs are simple to use once you understand the fundamentals of TwiML, their proprietary XML-based scripting language, it can be a steep learning curve at first.

We are powering an e-learning platform that allows teachers anywhere in the world to teach students, no matter where they are located.

Twilio review by Arthur F.
Arthur F.

"The easiest way to integrate Phone & SMS to your app"

What do you like best?

Twilio is simply amazing. In a matter of a few minutes you can integrate a complete SMS & Phone solution into your app. The documentation is very complete, the guides goes from the very basic to advanced setups and the community around Twilio are very supportive. I love how easy it is to just make things happen, from sending a local sms to a friend to making international calls. The support from the Twilio itself is also very good. Never had trouble and when I had a few questions I had my answer in less than 24 hours.

What do you dislike?

Twilio is a great platform but it is not perfect. You might encounter yourself needing a virtual number from a country that they do not support. Even contacting them there is not much they can do. They do however have a great coverage of the globe so it is unlikely to happen. The price is also a bit above the competition, but I would not blame them as I feel it is a premium service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a good read on the guides and documentation. You might feel a bit lost at the beginning but everything is very simple. A good way to save money also is to create a manager on your server so you can have a single Twilio number and multiple apps.

I've used Twilio from building prototypes in hackathons to deploying a final product. Twilio always worked for me and I never thought of going to another platform as everything went smooth with them. I also use twilio for personal projects as it is very affordable.

Twilio review by Matthew N.
Matthew N.

"Great overview of products and great vision"

What do you like best?

I really liked the keynotes seeing how other companies and causes have used Twilio to enhance their processes and business.

What do you dislike?

The filters on the website to determine which session you'd like to attend is a little buggy on mobile. I found myself having to use the browser's search feature to find things rather than the filters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have fun with Twilio Quest. It's a great way to learn the APIs!

I am new to Twilio, but have heard of it. I look forward to doing more Twilio Quest and leveling up! I see lots of potential.

Twilio review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Cloud Communication Platform"

What do you like best?

Really is to integrate once you start getting your hands dirty. has smooth way of using web hooks that you can use to automate what you want to do when a call or text comes into a number on their system.

I used this within a .NET project and via nugget you can get some helper modules that allows you to easily communicate with twilio

What do you dislike?

Their documentation at times is a bit scattered. They have started to make improvements in then 12months but for key things if you are new you may need to search a little bit to find what you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

definitely worth while checking out. They have a lot of add-ons in twilio marketplace that you can leverage if you don't have the development power to build out and extend based on your needs

Allow customers to expand their business by being able to have multiple virtual numbers

Twilio review by Christoph H.
Christoph H.

"A really great webservice for making and receiving phone calls, sending SMS and much more"

What do you like best?

That Twilio is only in the business of providing a great webservice. Applications are the business of their partners. Twilio doesn’t compete with their partners on applications. They offer a wide array of communication services and every webservice is high quality and offers many libraries for all languages.

They offer everything from registering and using phone numbers, sending and receiving SMS/MMS, routing SIP, IP Messaging for custom messaging services and even easy to use tools for implementing 2 factor authentication with Authy in your apps. And this with very well made webservices and on a pay by use basis, without any setup fees or fixed monthly fees.

What do you dislike?

Some management interfaces could be improved and automatic credit card billing would be useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the IP messaging. It’s really great for providing customized messaging services which can be used for all kinds of new solutions.

Also consider using scheduled payments to fund your Twilio account. Accounts without funds will eventually suspended.

Twilio is great for all kinds of problems. They offer phone numbers in a huge number of countries. These phone numbers can be used by businesses to provide much smarter services than before. For example, calls to Twilio phone numbers can be handled programatically. This can be used to implement smart, completely cloud based phone exchanges, or easily and intelligently routing phone calls in call centers, or making a software which displays relevant customer information whenever a call comes in.

Twilio review by Erdmann K.
Erdmann K.

"Reliable solution with awesome support"

What do you like best?

Their webservice is easy to use and very robust, making it very easy to implement two factor authentication into your application. The support provided by Twilio is also of premium quality: fast and precise responses, Oh, and they have libraries for many languages, so it is even easier to integrate their services.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. Maybe the fact that some very few countries are not supported so it can be pretty annoying when some of your users can't use sms authentication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to other alternatives Twilio is a bit more expensive, but in the end you get what you pay for: robust and reliable service and good support. It definitely worth the extra price.

I have an application where I need to restrict one account per user and also avoid robots and spam, so I use Twilio to have a two factor authentication in my app. This solution is not perfect for the problem, as it can be avoided (ironically you can do that using Twilio), but is producing good results.

Twilio review by Akram Hasan S.
Akram Hasan S.

"Life saving"

What do you like best?

I remembered when I first came to IT profession and wanted to make an app able to send and receive text. Every search I made answer was I have to have a server with lot of cables, telecom devices, telecom registration, department authorization and many other dramas. Made me think about I might be crazy thinking stuff like this. Then one day one friend of mine mentioned about Twilio. Everything I wanted to do, they offering all those service in a easier way. I don't have to get a license or telecom devices or server for what I wanted to do. Then I realize they came with some badass technologies. They are the one can help me and they are the service I was thinking about.

Think I liked about Twilio always been easy to use API for voice calls, text sending, receiving or verifying phone number. Most importantly they support widely all programming languages. Programmatically you can send and receive text messages using your favorite programming language. And trigger whatever app you are planning to develop. Let you use their well documented API for easy to use access. You can pick your alternative number for your app or choose a short code. Their logging system let you find out any technical problem or trace your messages. When I said you can programmatically access your phone number, that means you can do whatever you wanted to do using their API.

They also has voice and other service as well and they are also satisfying.

So Twilio was the one made me believe that thought I had wasn't my nightmare. It was my dream for advance technology.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned they doing a pretty great job with telecom usage. Here nothing to complain about their product. But yes, their customer service pretty slow and need to be upgraded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are planning for any apps and need SMS notification or 2 way SMS for user account query. You better give a try this service.

We are using Twilio for Two Factor Authentication and 2 way SMS service for our web apps. The benefit we can mention is they are boss in this field.

Twilio review by John P.
John P.

"Twilio is Great for Developers"

What do you like best?

We were able to set up Twilio in one day. It was very easy to get up and running with a 1-800 number and a voicemail service that would send us an email with the text and mp3 of the message. We were able to setup an automated menu system with mp3 of instructions for each level (we've also in the past used the text to speech voice). Pricing is transparent and cheap and their documentation is excellent! Twilio also has had great uptime and quick responses to support requests.

What do you dislike?

Their error logging can be a little confusing, particularly with how verbose it is. It also is hard to debug exactly what is being sent back and forth. Would be great if they added a replay feature in the future! It would also be nice if at some point they passed on some cost savings to their customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A simple API to get you up and running with phone numbers.

Twilio helps us managing incoming support calls, we have an automated menu that caller self-select and then it direct them to the appropriate parties. It's helped us be responsive to our clients and keep our costs low. We've had a quick turn around whenever we've added features and their uptime has been excellent (no outages since we've started using them). Twilio also works at big scale so you never have to worry about too many concurrent calls!

Twilio review by Javier R.
Javier R.

"Great service with the perfect documentation at a good price"

What do you like best?

The way you consume the service using a RESTful API. Sending text messages it's something really difficult if you don't have a service like Twilio. All the web services are well documented, including tutorials and examples for almost all programming lenguajes.

What do you dislike?

Maybe the price. Twilio is the company with more messaging, VoIP and voice services. They have a lot of products that every business can implement with a pay-as-you-go billing model. Be careful if someday the bill is more expensive than the one that comes from your hosting provider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the idea that this is a messaging service. Compare the prices with other providers and check out the documentation. Twilio is build thinking on developers first, and that is a good point because it makes the implementation/installation easier.

With the help of Twilio we are solving a lot of problems in our company. The two-factor authentication is the best example, and our clients give us good feedback about it. Also, we are implementing automated surveys with really good results! Now, we can focus on the code and not on the service availability.

Twilio review by Florin S.
Florin S.

"Easy to integrate sms capabilities in your service"

What do you like best?

It took me less than 30 minutes from creating an account with them until sending my first sms from python scripts, so it's very easy to setup and they have examples for many languages.

It has a ton of features including voice related capabilities.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it in production environments, only for POC's and such, so I'm not sure about the costs in a real life, it may be a bit on the expensive side. Having said that, the prices are in the same range as most of their competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whether you're programming in C, C#, Java, Python, PHP, Ruby or other major programming languages, Twillio has support for it and has code samples for it. Buying a phone number is easy, just make sure to cancel the subscription for that phone number if you don't need it in the future as you pay for it monthly automatically.

Integrating sms capabilities in an application for notifications. The sms's come fast, there's not a delay as some of the other services have. It's really just a matter of minutes to add it.

Twilio review by Michelangelo v.
Michelangelo v.

"Twilio, phone services for developers"

What do you like best?

Twilio has a very clear, self describing API that helps me integrate Twilio services easily within my applications and products.

The Twilio developer's manual is complete and very expressive on how to use and integrate the API elements making the whole experience a breeze.

Because their services are accessible through a REST-ful interface and they offer software development kits (SDK's) for all major technologies, it's even easier to hook up your existing application with extended phone and SMS services.

What do you dislike?

Twilio's service is awesome as they offer you a variety of phone and SMS services making their service a real good competitor for any hardware phone integrator or other online text service providers.

What I dislike is that once you got comfertable with the Twilio API, you are somewhat disapointed when using other online services. Twilio has done an awesome job providing a stellar service and an API that's easy to understand, quickly to integrate and cheap to roll out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a phone service with or without SMS texting functionality, consider Twilio as your partner. It's easy to setup and maintain and instantly you will gain huge benefits in development and integration time, marketing tactics and budget.

Be sure to try them out if you still have doubts.

When developing applications for non-technical people, a phone service is often a good alternative. Providing SMS text support and 2-factor authentication through SMS allows us to keep our applications secure without making it too complicated.

From a marketing perspective, collecting phone numbers has an additional benefit for direct communication with our customers.

The services that Twilio offers can integrate very well into existing phone and sms services making it a good alternative for traditional phone system solutions at a lower expense. In our case we were able to integrate the functionality quickly while keeping our budgets low.

Twilio review by Jon E.
Jon E.

"Twilio: Send or receive phone calls and text messages with rich cloud-based API"

What do you like best?

Twilio makes it easy to buy phone numbers, record calls made to that number, build custom phone menus, send and receive text messages, and make and recieve phone calls for only a few cents per minute. Due to their extensive API, if you're a skilled software developer you can make some really cool interactive applications. The only limit is your imagination.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike with Twilio, they're a very fair company with a great business model. If you want to make and recieve phone calls in the cloud, they're probably your best bet.

Personally, we use Twilio for call tracking and analytics. We do internet marketing and we buy Twilio phone numbers for some of our customers that want to be able to see how many calls we're able to generate for them. All of those calls are recorded so the customer can log in and play back recordings of all the phone calls we've sent their way. There is an intuitive dashboard that shows you everything you would possibly want to know in terms of usage and analytics.

Twilio review by John B.
John B.

"Twilio review"

What do you like best?

They're API is the goto for dealing with telecommunications. My current company uses twilio in all kinds of ways. Everything from sending text messages to employees through setting up teleconferences. The API is well documented and extremely easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

Their international support can be flaky at times. When you are dialing calls out from Twilio to international endpoints, the likelihood of dropping the call goes up significantly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you start scaling and sending a lot of messages or making many calls, you should try to connect with someone from the premium support staff and get someone as a known contact. That way, when there are problems, you can find the issue faster. If it does happen to be related to an issue with one of their partner carriers, they will call them and try to get to the root cause.

We use it for everything from employee management/reminders via text messaging through tele conferencing clients with our own home build software.

Twilio review by Kanwar S.
Kanwar S.

"Globally scalable communication platform for ISVs serving Enterprise customers"

What do you like best?

Twilio takes care of voice, SMS and call recording for our Enterprise customers so we can focus on building the best Dialing and Coaching platform for Salesforce.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see single party call recording as well as a programtic way to offer our customers CNAM

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pay for Twilio Premium Support especially if your application serves Enterprise customers

We needed a reliable and globally scalable comms solution to underpin our Enterprise application. The benefits are that we don't have to worry about building and scaling the comms layer.

Twilio review by Caley W.
Caley W.

"A breeze to setup and even easier to use!"

What do you like best?

Using twilio to provision a phone number for my apps is quick and easy. Once you have a number you can easily setup the URL's for text/calls to your twilio number to be redirected to your application. Fees are simple and straightforward with nothing hidden. The API is dead simple and they have wrappers for several popular languages (Ruby, PHP, Python, etc).

What do you dislike?

Pretty hard to find much to complain about but I suppose if I had to come up with something it would be the sometimes lack of "local" (to me) numbers which is probably not their fault.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jump in! The API is great.

I have written several small applications using twilio, one of which won one of their developer contests in 2011. Being able to quickly handle texts/phone calls in your app or generate them is amazing and really helps with being able to notify users in a way that is convenient for them.

Twilio review by Usman Ehtesham G.
Usman Ehtesham G.

"Twilio Review"

What do you like best?

The API is very easy to use and very easy to get started. The variety of SDKs available in different languages makes it easy for developers of different programmming language experiences. I got the opportunity to use Twilio API in 3 different languages: Python, Java and Go. Another great thing about Twilio is its community and how they share their projects to inspire and motivate other developers with ideas.

What do you dislike?

The documentation can be vastly improved. Though the examples are really helpful, there are many scenarios where better documentation would have made it easier to use their API. Their rates are currently more expensive than other APIs like Nexmo

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use Twilio for many reasons:

1) For learning how to use APIs, Twilio is definitely the best and easiest API out there

2) Integrating SMS in your projects has never been easier.

Getting more access to tools via SMS. I have written tools using Twilio that allow to control servers through SMS; I have also written a tool that allows users to chat in Slack via SMS

Twilio review by Javan P.
Javan P.

"Amazing APIs and documentation"

What do you like best?

Documentation and sample applications provide a great base to start working with the twilio platform.

What do you dislike?

I find the console to be a bit cluttered and sometimes difficult to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Attend an event to get a basic understanding of the numerous services offered through Twilio. Signal has helped me better understand and develop use cases with their products.

Communications in learning and tracking engagement. With the variety of services covering many ways of communication Twilio has made a "one stop shop" solution for a majority of our needs.

Twilio review by Germán Noé G.
Germán Noé G.

"The most easy way to build a call center"

What do you like best?

All the the plugins and also the integration with most populare programming language to use in current CRM or applications. As of now I like what Twilio has been doing with flex.

What do you dislike?

The documentation mostly lack for full reference on the code and examples do not cover all the needs on real environments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Twilio is a great tool to build from simple to large contact center and allow to grow your business without much line of codes.

To manage and escalate communications. the easy way to route.

Twilio review by Adam A.
Adam A.

"Flex I love you"

What do you like best?

Flex gives us the ability to create a bad ass app for our customer support teams without having to worry about many of the features that are not specific to our teams work flow. This allows us to focus where it counts and not sweat the small stuff

What do you dislike?

nothing too much yet. It costs money. I dont like spending money :P

we need a contact center solution that is tailored to the information we need to provider an agent at the time that is right.

Twilio review by Tory H.
Tory H.

"Wonderful Product"

What do you like best?

I love the abundance of features twilio has to offer, and the stress on making those features easy to use and learn.

What do you dislike?

I think twilios doing a great job, i don't have any dislikes at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

abundance of features, and ease of use

Customer support. Being able to manage calls and texts in such an easy manner really help with our center. We're excited to try introducing flex into our platform, eliminating some serious overhead and getting a great product out fast.

Twilio review by User

"Twilio Showed me the way"

What do you like best?

I loved the Studio part,,you dont need any programing skils and everything is very logical to setup

You can do lots of work inlittle time

What do you dislike?

There are a few products that would need some polishing.. i know they are beta.. or just released.. but if i do need to Dislike something it would be.. that.. i think holding back 1 month would be good to fix a few bugs in new release software

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yuo need to try it ASAP so you can understand how easy and benificial this software is or could be to your company

We are trying to figure out the best way for sale agents to keep in contat or build a good relationship with clients.

Twilio review by Esteban A.
Esteban A.

"Excellent API and documentation."

What do you like best?

Twilio is an excellent service. I have integrated it on multiple Ruby on Rails solutions and I have had a a great experience. These kind of external services shouldn't stop you or take you too much time to integrate. Twilio also support multiple environments, which is great for testing. It fits perfect with any Ruby application and they have a really well documentation.

What do you dislike?

Using Twilio on the early days for products outside US was really frustrating. But they now supper almost every country. They are also a little expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a Ruby on Rails developer and you need to deal with sending SMS or calling cellphone numbers. Then Twillio is definitely the service to consider!

We were doing profile validations by sending unique codes to the users's cellphones. Twilio was they key solution and tackling that problem.

Twilio review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Great tool for your SMS needs"

What do you like best?

Relatively quick to set up. I also love the Twiml Bins and that we were able to get our MVP out quickly without worrying about writing a web hook.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was some way you could send a custom ID or variable with the API call in order to keep track of a conversation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid of focusing on out bound messages first, and setting up Twiml bins as your callback. This allows messages to be made right away without creating a whole system.

We wanted to be able to send SMS messages to our users. We were using Google Voice before, but Twilio allows us to integrate with our program and send the messages as such.

Twilio review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Solid communications platform"

What do you like best?

It's simple and easy to work with. To my knowledge we've never had a single issue using their service, its just rock solid.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot here to dislike. More advanced setups can be complex but if you want simple text messaging it just works.

Twilio allows our customers to text with their customers through our platform.

Twilio review by Aaron G.
Aaron G.

"If your devs don't know, you need new devs"

What do you like best?

Twilio gives developers a powerful API platform for communication services; making it easy for developers to integrate communication methods with existing code, servers, and databases to solve problems quickly and effectively.

What do you dislike?

They struggle with virtual numbers in some cases and support can be hit or miss. Twilio is the priciest in the space, but they do the most robust service offering.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IP messaging is good for customized messaging which can be leveraged for many different use cases.

Great for efficiently spinning up prototypes and production instances across multiple platforms with teams in remote locations.

Twilio review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Bulletproof infrastructure, can handle volume"

What do you like best?

I'm a huge fan of Twilio's SMS infrastructure and APIs. It's refreshing to be able to focus on our application and building what our customers want, and not have to worry about the nuts and bolts of message delivery and regulatory compliance.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have no complaints. I would like the per-number sms queue to be deeper than 14,440 messages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make friends with your account rep. If you are in a non-standard pricing agreement, review your bill for accuracy.

We're sending over a hundred thousand SMS messages in long code per day. We have limited developer resources, and we don't have to worry about the network and delivery portion of our business.

Twilio review by Akul M.
Akul M.

"Amazing call and mssg service for developers."

What do you like best?

It makes my development so much easier like automation and updates are sent to me through messages. A great example was using my Rasberry pi and sending messaages to my phone whenever the dynamic ip of my home changes. It helped a lot in IOT projects.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem i felt was the api limitation and pricing, as for a student these were much higher and created problems in productivity. Also a little error solving documentation would be great as sometimes working code were having issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great service for messaging and calling, never saw another service like twilio. Go for it.

As i said above it helped me in my IOT prrojects and having me connected with my home, even if at distance, and the time duratiion in sending messages is very quick. Thanks to Twilio.

Twilio review by Sisir A.
Sisir A.

"High quality service with world class support!"

What do you like best?

I have been developing with Twilio since 2013. They never disappointed me. Bug free api and always eager to expand their functionality with new features. Their support team is also very professional and respond time is very quick.

Their APIs are well documented and SDKs available for all popular languages making the first learning curve very easy and comfortable. You can always give a shout to their technical support desk and they will reply with helpful information in next couple hours.

What do you dislike?

While I do not have any complain about their API services but recent change of their UI in account area made their website very hard to use. Navigation menus are quite a mess even for technical users.

We often hear complain from other Twilio users about complexity of the navigation through Twilio account area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Well depending on what is your end product is. If you are looking for a cutting edge call tracking product with full api power with excellent support, you should definitely try out Twilio. On my personal opinion they are the best in this business!

I am a web developer working for an internet marking company. We build call tracking software (SaaS) for B2B clients who are in Pay per lead business. Our software helps our clients to find analyze their ROI on different online and offline marketing campaigns.

Twilio review by Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting
Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting

"Adding voice. messaging to applications is dead simple. just dial in Twilio"

What do you like best?

Twilio makes it really easy to add voice and messaging to applications to make the interactions richer and relevant. There is hardly any upfront costs and the code cookbooks make it easy to get started.

What do you dislike?

The free tier pricing is good for getting started. However, some more sophisticated features require a paid account

Twilio enabled us to engage with users of our enterprise application in a richer, more relevant and timely fashion. We used Twilio to provide alerts to users on their application status, do voice signature for authorization and conduct short surveys. It enabled us to get better/ quicker response from the users and complete the business process faster.

Twilio review by Hillary S.
Hillary S.

"simple to use"

What do you like best?

For those that are unfamiliar with Twilio, you can use the software to build apps that communicate with everyone in the world. Voice & Video, Messaging, and Authentication APIs for every application. Essentially it's the end all be all for building successful apps. It's simple to use, the team is great and quick to reply to any questions or comments.

What do you dislike?

Twilio is still a relatively new company, and they're still working out some kinks, but so far we haven'e had any major issues with the company. I'd recommend spending more time educating your customers rather than selling them additional products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give them the chance to show you what they can do. You'll be pleasantly surprised!!

We're using this business to assist with the build and implementation of new apps for our current online audience to use.

Twilio review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Most known/default api for phones for a good reason"

What do you like best?

Super robust api and functionality. If you want to do something over the phone and automate it, twilio is the go to. Easy to develop with with a massive amount of power. Great for two factor auth as well as text-based marketing to phones, especially if you're in a market without big data plans! Sms is the way to go.

Twilio is reliable as well, never failed to send a message which is pretty much the number one worry with an api such as this.

What do you dislike?

Honestly it works great, there just isn't too many use cases that need automated telephone/sms features. We didn't stop using it for any other reason beside not needing the functionality any more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's literally the only api that comes to mind for cell network communication. If you need sms or voice, twilio is the one. Pricing is decent and very easy to understand, no worries about going over limits, etc and cheap to just try it out.

We were playing with two factor auth as well as sms advertising/reminders. It worked great for those but they never moved past the test phase as our users didn't respond well to them.

Twilio review by Andrew C.
Andrew C.

"Amazing API, docs and testing tools to get your idea off the ground"

What do you like best?

API documentation and testing tools, sample code for each use case in different programming languages is excellent.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes challenging to find exact help from the community or sample code for exactly what you are doing. Often there are general examples, but specific ones can be hard to find.

Mass SMS communication as well as 2-way communication via SMS in a scalable, auditable, and integrated way for candidate recruiting.

Twilio review by marc c.
marc c.

"SMS Service"

What do you like best?

We do like the twilio service, we've been using them for years and looking forward to use more services in the future.

What do you dislike?

none i can think at the moment i guess a video like a youtube tutorial would help for first time users but that's about it

we're using twilio sms just to alert us on server availability and monitoring, we're hoping to use other twilio products in the future

Twilio review by Joey L.
Joey L.

"Solid SMS Solution "

What do you like best?

SMS Verification has become the defacto means of verification for a lot of mobile apps. Twilio makes it very easy and cost effective way to send SMS. Since i built my app on Parse platform, setting up Twilio took literarily minutes as it is integrated into Parse.

In addition to ease of use, the Twilio dashboard also makes it easy to pull up records and customize configuration to fit budget, locale, and other specific needs. I experienced the value of having all these tools available during an episode when Apple rejected my app submission on grounds of not receiving SMS verification. I was able to pull up the records from Twilio and used it to convince AppStore to reverse their decision.

What do you dislike?

International SMS cost considerable more and I'd like to have a way to eliminate possible fraud or abuse. Twilio should provide a way to set a maximum number of SMS that can be sent by time frame and by unique phone number.

The problem I needed to solve was to simplify send out a code through SMS for phone number verification from server side but triggered from mobile client, and I had to be able to send to international numbers. Ease of setup, integration, and an affordable budget were my main considerations. Twilio's service fulfilled all those requirements.

Twilio review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Virtual assistant for chemical engineers"

What do you like best?

What I like the best about Twilio is how it is friendly to developers. worked on a virtual assistant for chemical engineers to deliver real-time SMS text alerts and data lookups. It's my first time using Twilio and C#, and fortunately Twilio offers tutorials that are very helpful and easy to follow, which made it possible for me to learn the API fast. Please keep it up!

What do you dislike?

Some tutorials don't compile due to syntax errors so it would be great if Twilio verify it before releasing the tutorials.

As mentioned above, I used it to help chemical engineers to receive alerts and look up information fast.

Twilio review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Easy to use, fast and reliable for small traffic. Complicated setup for large volume."

What do you like best?

- Simple: Modern API, REST and JSON are fully supported.

- Excellent documentation:. Extensive online docs, with examples and tutorials.

- Native integration: Any major language and framework is supported.

- Native tools: Twilio provides their own ruby gem and other tools.

- Price for short instances: long-codes are free, pay only what you use. Simple billing.

- Easy to use: Get something ready in minutes.

- Features: SMS, Calls, Voice messages, specific numbers by Country are supported.

What do you dislike?

- Online reports and insights tools are insufficient.

- Everything about short-codes:

If you need to support large volume of SMS, the only option is to migrate from a long-code tu a short-code, and pay the price for it. Short numbers are super flexible and almost without limitation, but pricey and they require custom intraoperatively implementation. The documentation for short-codes is almost nonexistent. The phone carriers may audit your short-number at any time and get it blocked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Stay with long-codes as much as you can.

- Make sure you're willing to invest on short-codes implementation.

- Keep in mind setup price and cost of implementation from short-codes.

Our main focus was SMS communication with our customers. The benefits were simplicity and cost.

Twilio review by Ian L.
Ian L.

"Excellent telephony and SMS services, good geographic reach, fantastic innovation"

What do you like best?

Excellent API and automatic provisioning of telephony services. Quality of service promises are exceptionally good and absolutely essential to some SMS-based services. Easy to understand pricing and ease of managing accounts is a bonus. They seem to be managing their geographic expansion while maintaining the quality of service - not an easy task!

What do you dislike?

Pricing can be slightly higher than competitors but the quality of service and support are second to none. Initially, their geographic footprint was felt to be lacking, but as they expand into new markets this concern is being mitigated. Of course, we would like to see continued expansion outside of North American and European markets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just explore it - they provide plenty of tools and support for getting started, are very easy to integrate into your products, and all around brilliant.

We developed an SMS-based question-response framework; we needed a global geography, the ability to automatically provision and manage local phone numbers, and confirmation that SMSs were submitted to networks. All this Twilio has and continues to deliver flawlessly.

Their continued international expansion is overcoming the initial concerns and allowing the product to reach new markets.

Twilio review by Ben G.
Ben G.

"Great for Prototypes --- Beautiful Documentation"

What do you like best?

Twilio is __the__ SaaS for integrating code and phones. My experience with Twilio involved writing a p2p SMS Bitcoin payment system for a Y Combinator interview in 2013 (demo code here: https://github.com/theunixbeard/bitcoin-sms-java). Though we didn't get into YC, I was able to code up an entire working prototype over a weekend almost entirely thanks to Twilio's rock solid & user friendly API.

What do you dislike?

In short, country coverage. For the USA and most western nations all services are offered. However, as a Digital Nomad who frequently travels to all sorts of countries I have had a few app ideas for personal use involving phone automation that weren't feasible due to Twilio's lack of global coverage. They are expanding in this direction though, so hopefully this criticism gets to be less important over time.

My app had the following functionality:

- Sending SMS to users via code

- Receiving & parsing SMS responses from users, calling relevant handler code

Functionality I wanted but couldn't use:

- Lack of call forwarding functionality in various countries (e.g. Fiji)

Twilio review by Michael Brøbech M.
Michael Brøbech M.

"Overall good"

What do you like best?

Getting up and running is fast, lots of features

What do you dislike?

Debugging using the twilio console website is not that good. I need a way of gtetting the big picture including all call SIDs. Also please give me a exact date&/time when looking into debugger events.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Rewrite console and implement communication log where it is visible what is received and what is sent in sequence.

Customer call center

"Twilio review"

What do you like best?

Been a customer for roughly 4 years and it has been a great experience to use their sip products. It has been great to see them grow and everyone we have worked with or interacted with is a great person with great personality.

What do you dislike?

The biggest thing would be around certain changes to the interface that moves items around or renames them without notice to the admin users for finding those landing pages. Also lack of ease of changing cps on the sip infrastructure side

Recommendations to others considering the product

don't be afraid to jump in. use the documentation and your account team for help.

SIP infastruture, sms purchasing

Twilio review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"amazing service"

What do you like best?

buying numbers in an instant. I feel like twilio is paving the way of call center tech instead of catching up to it.

I love the ease of API and the support docs

I am a huge fan of twilio quest. I used it to get a sweet prize and I learn from it all the time

What do you dislike?

I feel like the account domain and subdomain system is a bit confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it and invest in your workers. I would get your whole team to do twilio quest and go to the conferences.

buying international numbers, it's easy

sms texting integration with APIS

Twilio review by Frank V.
Frank V.

"Twilio integration via Web Service API from Salesforce"

What do you like best?

Sends consistent messages to all mobile phone providers, easy to integrate

What do you dislike?

Error handling.. we get error codes sometimes and have no explanation on what is causing these intermittent errors. If we send the exact same message again they will send successfully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test in a load or performance testing environment, with several concurrent users. We believe that must be the root cause of the errors, but can't be sure.

Sending SMS messaging to field technicians

Twilio review by Caleb D.
Caleb D.

"Automatic order updates via SMS"

What do you like best?

We love Twilio! When our shopping cart platform announced that they had an integration for Twilio we jumped on it. Our customers love that they get an SMS message as their order proceeds through the sales/shipping process.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system will split a standard message that is under 160 characters into 2 separate messages even though it should only be one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate, jump on it! The pricing and service can't be beat.

Automated customer order status updates.

Twilio review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Good Carrier/SMS option for those not experienced with Telecom"

What do you like best?

The portal including API, SMS, and other options are good. Also, like that they are a carrier only in AWS so using them for international routing and for providing international DiDs provides options that other carriers cannot.

What do you dislike?

Likewise with AWS, getting a direct connect with Twilio in various sites is more difficult than with traditional colo data centers. This will likely get easier over the next few years. With other things they don't act like a regular telecom carrier so it makes it more difficult for least cost routing and reselling their services.

International telecom routing in AWS. Adding another "cloud" carrier to our routing mix.

Twilio review by Yuvraj K.
Yuvraj K.

"Integrated Twilio Voice and sms with Saleasforce"

What do you like best?

Twilio Integration are very east to use.

What do you dislike?

We still face some isssues with twilio Voice calls. Out of 100 calls in a day we have issues voice issues with at least 10

Our Selling does not have to use personal phone to make the calls, they can use Twilio Salesforce dialer

All the calls are logged and it helps to study the caller's performance

Twilio review by Consultant in Management Consulting
Consultant in Management Consulting

"Twilio Solution Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of sign-up, ease of use, good documentation, works consistently

What do you dislike?

Nothing sticks out at this time. I believe the challenge Twilio will have is launching a solution versus set of APIs. There are a lot more challenges in having a product to support that will have business questions versus just technology. You need to have team members who know the call center business very well and can consult with clients on best practices. Partners can help you with this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep supporting the partner community.

Communicating with clients via SMS. Able to improve communications with customers in a contact center environment.

Twilio review by Dylan S.
Dylan S.

"Programmable wireless is AWESOME"

What do you like best?

Support team and dedicated twilio engineers to help us

What do you dislike?

Alpha/Beta stuff changes a lot, might just be internal miss communication however that we were actually using a super early beta product. I love shipping fast and often and early

Global Connectivity for enterprise devices. Self service and APIs are super helpful, dealing with tmobile directly is a pain in the ASS

"Great Flexability"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about using Twilio is how flexible it is. There are an infinite amount of use cases and so many diverse products can be built.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the APIs have a lack of conitinuity in how they are documented. For example a set of parameters might be listed as uppercase in one instance but as lowercase in another, but how they are presented doesn't necessarily indicate how they should be used in code.

A more unified call center experience that allows supervisors and managers more control over the agents and the data produced.

Twilio review by Administrator

"Your experience as a customer improves as you build a relationship with the Twilio team"

What do you like best?

Honest communication from the Twilio team. Twilio didn't process our shortcode application but charged us all the fee for 4+ months. When we uncovered the issue, the Twilio team owned up to the mistake and acted quickly to resolve the issue. We appreciate the honesty and their attitude made us trust them more.

What do you dislike?

Unclear progress on the short code provisioning process in the Twilio dashboard.

Complex and not intuitive dashboard that is almost impossible to understand without any training.

SMS for the time being but would like to consider push notifications as well in the future.

Twilio review by User

"Amazing array of services w/ well-built APIs and excellent documentation"

What do you like best?

I've been really impressed with how well designed the APIs are, and the qualify of the documentation and examples. I'm also very excited about IoT, and the Sync platform, narrowband IoT, customizable rate plans, etc. are very compelling.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing so far. It's very impressive.

SIM activation and device provisioning. I work on Nordic Semiconductor's IoT platform and this is one of the biggest challenges we are trying to solve. To be clear, we are still exploring the use of Twilio, having just started working on this challenge. So it's very early stage for us.

Twilio review by Paul B.
Paul B.

"Great Flexibility"

What do you like best?

As a company we love how flexible and customizable twilio is. The ability to provision and deploy numbers at scale is great.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more functionality prebuild for dynamic number replacement.

We are working twards transitioning all our communication touch points to twilio. Ultimately we want to use flex to run our call center communication.

Twilio review by Adam B.
Adam B.

"Twilio is awesome!"

What do you like best?

Twilio is easy to get up and running. I first used Twilio at a hackathon event 6 or 7 years ago. I had never used anything similar to it and had a working telephone directory up and running in a matter of hours.

Twilio's platform is inexpensive, flexible, powerful, and rock-solid. I've never experienced a major issue with the service.

If you need to engage with your customers or users Twilio makes it easy to integrate into your app or web platforms.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any issues or dislikes about the Twilio platform. It gets the job done.

Communication with users, primarily via SMS. Twilio simplifies the process and makes it painless to communicate via SMS.

Twilio review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Friendliest API to start using for any project"

What do you like best?

Best documentation and support from any company I've worked with, actively work to support student developers and help build connections!

What do you dislike?

Some of their "help" buttons don't give any more information, so have to resort to google or stackoverflow for answers on deeper specifics

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick a project from their examples and build it from the ground up again, then slowly change it into what best fits your and your company's needs

We use Twilio to send monthly payment confirmations to our users, if they say yes, we charge them, making our chargebacks zero.

Twilio review by Sarah T.
Sarah T.

"Phone number masking savior"

What do you like best?

As a mobile app developer in the the On Demand space, we have used Twilio with our clients globally for safety, security and reassurance. We use Twilio for phone number masking, SMS, many clients that are new to technology and the On Demand space aren't not technology savvy and unaware of the benefits of keeping their clients secure and their data base, their own.

What do you dislike?

I need a cost break for our international clients, most client that are international are not use to these fees and are not aware of companies like Twilio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like a presentation to show my clients, most are not familiar with your product.

Helping our clients and reassuring their customer base. It's a main point in my sales pitch that the clients will retain their data base and other outside parties or employees will not have their clients information.

Twilio review by Andrew L.
Andrew L.

"Twilio is well implemented service"

What do you like best?

They pay a ton of attention to their developers, and have a strong sense of how their API will affect those that use it.

What do you dislike?

I encountered a small gap in their documentation regarding the PHP library usage the first time I used it... but that was an easy fix on my part. After that it was smooth sailing. If you are using Twilio with a supported library via a package installer (which I wasn't, at that time) you will not have any issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, I loved using it.

Text messaging with Twilio and also audio phone recordings for some promotion work. Twilio is very cost effective, and I would recommend to anyone whether it be for big business or just single developer on a side-project.

Twilio review by David C.
David C.

"Works well with our help desk software"

What do you like best?

The ability to connect Twilio with LiveAgent - our help desk software provider. The latency is low and call recording quality is fine as well.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike, Twilio has great reputation and market fit. I've been using it for about 4 years and haven't come to any obstacles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With Twilio, you'll be safe. The price might be a little above average though.

We needed to provide phone customer support and Twilio helped us to add phone to LiveAgent and have all customer support in one place.

Twilio review by User in Internet

"Twilio is awesome!"

What do you like best?

The Twilio API is really convenient and a pleasure to set up and use. It's really quick and easy to get up and running with Twilio.

What do you