Ubuntu Touch

Ubuntu’s unique scopes brings everything you need to one screen without the need to open and switch between multiple apps.The Ubuntu Phone has been built to revolve around you and the content and services you use the most.

Work for Ubuntu Touch?

Learning about Ubuntu Touch?

Ubuntu Touch Reviews

Showing 4 Ubuntu Touch reviews
Ubuntu Touch review by <span>Abraham S.</span>
Abraham S.

A Good Start.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

While I was hoping for support for broader package management (easily installing an arbitrary ARM deb package manually or from an arbitrary repository), I was impressed with the direction Ubuntu Touch is headed.

The premise of a unified desktop experience, from mobile devices to desktop computers, is very appealing. It might seem like a new spin on what Microsoft or Apple have done, but Canonical had some pretty original ideas and innovations, which they're working out. I loved the concept Canonical put forward regarding Ubuntu Touch, how one moment you could be using your Ubuntu Touch phone as a phone, and the next plug in a monitor/keyboard/mouse/dock and have a fully functional desktop environment.

As a developer, I like the toolchain for application development, which Canonical has provided. It makes it easy to develop an application for multiple platforms, conveniently providing for development using a number of technologies. I especially enjoy the support for Go.

What do you dislike?

Restricted package management. Difficulty of deployment onto the mobile device. Though, that is rapidly becoming a non-issue.

It was beneficial to me to have found a mobile operating system that is pleasing from a linux user's point of view. Currently, I do not use this to meet a particular need, but I certainly plan to in the future.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ubuntu Touch
Ubuntu Touch review by <span>Jennifer S.</span>
Jennifer S.

A Totally Different Mobile Experience

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It's really fast and minimalistic as far as an operating system goes. And free. Open source stuff has come a long way. It's definitely a quality OS on phones and tablets. Ubuntu is a wonderful desktop operating system and I appreciate that there is a mobile version as well.

What do you dislike?

It's not as user friendly or like-able as the other two top contenders. Can take some getting used to. The apps are definitely lacking but that could change in the future if it picks up and becomes more popular.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's cool from the Ubuntu standpoint as far as using it on the go, but lacks what the bigger companies have already set in place over the past years. I can see it getting a lot bigger though as they grow and gain support!

It's really helpful for people who want to stick with the Ubuntu software line, but currently it isn't for me. App support just isn't there right now.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Ubuntu Touch review by <span>James D.</span>
James D.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

-The user interface is well designed and easy to get used to (for those who have never used a smartphone before)

-Free/Libre/Open Source Software

What do you dislike?

For those used to using Iphone or Android smartphones, Ubuntu Touch's user interface is very different and therefore confusing

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try

First and foremost, the device on which I use this is a mobile computer (I think the term 'smartphone' is a bit of a misnomer). As long as I can use it to read my email and access the Internet, I'm happy.

The fact that I can also make calls and send text messages is also important.

Ubuntu Touch review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

Not ready for primetime yet.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I love the idea of Ubuntu Touch. I love the idea of convergence. I can't wait to work on my tablet and dock it into a keyboard and work on a desktop. I love open source! I really want to use or like this. I can't though. It has some great technology behind it, but it's not ready.

The Display of the MQ UHD is nice, which I like. It has a decent battery, but you'll never use it so it'll always end up dead in a corner until the next OTA update. An OK camera that you won't use.

What do you dislike?

This is a half baked OS. It lacks apps, it's difficult to navigate, has a lack of hardware, a lack of support, a lack of internet presence. I have the MQ tablet and it's basically a paperweight. Doesn't do anything useful yet for me. Sure it's got a terminal and a web browser, but they try and show me thing they think I'd be interested in. I have Google Now and so there's nothing they can show me that Google isn't gonna do a better job at. It's just not ready. I want it to be great and maybe one day it will be.

The onscreen keyboard sucks. Good luck typing!

None. This is a paperweight.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

There are not enough reviews of Ubuntu Touch for G2 Crowd to provide buying insight. Below are some alternatives with more reviews:

Windows 10 Logo
Windows 10
Windows 10 is familiar and easy to use, with lots of similarities to Windows 7 including the Start menu. It starts up and resumes fast, has more built-in security to help keep you safe, and is designed to work with software and hardware you already have.
Ubuntu Logo
Ubuntu
Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.
Apple iOS Logo
Apple iOS
An advanced mobile operating system. With its easy-to-use interface, amazing features, and rock solid stability, iOS is the foundation of iPhone. And even as others try to catch up, the technologies and features built into iOS keep iPhone years ahead.
Windows 7 Logo
Windows 7
Windows 7 is your PC simplified. Enjoy your media wherever you want, stay productive with the smart new desktop, get creative with Windows Live Photo Gallery.
Android Logo
Android
Android is the a globally popular mobile platform. With Android you can use all Google apps, plus thousands of apps and games are available on Google Play.
Apple OS X El Capitan Logo
Apple OS X El Capitan
OS X El Capitan gives you simpler, smarter ways to do the things you do most with your Mac. Like working in multiple apps at the same time using Split View.
Windows 8 Logo
Windows 8
Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows 8 for new devices.
RedHat Enterprise Linux Logo
RedHat Enterprise Linux
Open source platform for mission-critical computing
CentOS Logo
CentOS
CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor.
Apple OS X Mountain Lion Logo
Apple OS X Mountain Lion
OS X Mountain Lion is Apple's best OS yet. Because all these new features add up to one amazing experience on your Mac. And every device you use.

Learning about Ubuntu Touch?

* We monitor all Ubuntu Touch reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.