Ubuntu

Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Work for Ubuntu?

Learning about Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Reviews

Showing 316 Ubuntu reviews
Ubuntu review by <span>Olimar P.</span>
Olimar P.

"Ubuntu, makes linux easier"

What do you like best?

Before the arrival of Ubuntu, the use of GNU / Linux had a timid use on the part of the users, the philosophy of the project directed by Mark Shuttleworth, undoubtedly a good benevolent dictator, made the community of users expand and the large companies will not hesitate to choose this distribution as their desktop solution, saving considerable costs in licensing. For this, this dynamic philosophy of updates every 6 months contributed greatly and the flexibility to include as many peripheral drivers as possible. This same dynamism also contributed to give a great impulse to the state of distributions based on linux, which did not want to be left behind. Also in the world of servers, with its Ubuntu-Server, it has been widely accepted, including a long period of support (2023), support for state-of-the-art architectures, images for minimal installations, hardware monitoring tools and solutions for Cloud. Ubuntu has always sought to stay in the state of the art of gnu / linux distributions: it has recently taken out solutions for IoT and robotics, going through solutions for drones and industrial systems, making innovation one of its priorities. So almost for any intelligent thing there is an Ubuntu to carry.

What do you dislike?

should improve and facilitate the entry of programmers who maintain package distribution

Recommendations to others considering the product

the best gnu / linux distribution to start with this operating system

reduction of learning time of office tools by a large number of people and considerable savings in licensing costs

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ubuntu
Ubuntu review by <span>Shawn T.</span>
Shawn T.

"A great Operating System with many uses."

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is an easy to use operating system. It is great for those starting out with Linux and want to get used to it. Ubuntu has a great package manager, Apt, which is loaded with great software that one might use personally or professionally. Ubuntu offers several different GUI spins, such as KDE (Kubuntu), LXDE (Lubuntu), and XFCE (Xubuntu), allowing one to use their favorite desktop environment without needing to install it manually.

What do you dislike?

While Ubuntu is easy to use, some of the packages can be outdated, such as Nginx, which can then make it difficult to use the latest software. As your options are to compile it from source or find a repository that offers the more up-to-date package. For those new to Linux based operating systems, this can be a challenge and be discouraging.

Another issue is drivers. Linux doesn't always get the drivers needed for certain pieces of hardware to work. Off brand, or even name brand, wireless cards could end up being useless as there may not be drivers for them, or the drivers may be outdated and incompatible with the current kernel version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new and just getting started with Linux, Ubuntu is a great first step in making the switch. The Ubuntu community is very active and very helpful.

We use Ubuntu for our servers as well as one our workstations. Ubuntu offers great stability and ease of upgrading to newer versions.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Ubuntu review by <span>Alfredo B.</span>
Alfredo B.

"Ubuntu the facility at your fingertips. If you want to learn!!!!"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu the facility at your fingertips. If you want to learn!

One easy way to describe Ubuntu is that you can write in one window and upload and download the contents of another. For example, Gaim / Pidgin can chat with one of your colleagues and at the same time you can read a web page or a book without much effort just by moving it with the mouse wheel in silence. This though it may seem silly can not be done in Windows. On the other hand it has a great point in its favor that is Windows to bring a lot of malicious software and for this free software is not very common since it allows to modify its source code to the user's taste and the needs of this. In context Ubuntu allows you to install drivers and applications without the need to restart the PC to complete the installation which is many times causing inconvenience.

What do you dislike?

This software at the development level is not highly recommended since it is more done or dedicated for end users, therefore it has many unnecessary and even heavy packages that are not easily practiced by software development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it for those people who want to learn more about the vulnerabilities of proprietary software such as Windows or Apple, the Ubuntu operating system allows them to migrate and learn more on the basis of open source. It has a simple environment to understand and can be adapted very quickly.

Today I use it to teach beginners to newbies who want to play in the world of free software to learn the basics of this type of software ... already with this notion can create an environment of inspiration for development.

Ubuntu review by <span>Travis G.</span>
Travis G.

"Ubuntu - The friendliest version of Linux"

What do you like best?

I just wanted to give a quick foreword, I'm not super proficient at Linux/Unix-like OS'es, but I have used Ubuntu Desktop and Server OS multiple times but my comfort zone is Windows. That being said, Ubuntu has by far been the best Linux Distribution for me to learn, test, and develop on. In my opinion, I feel like where Ubuntu shines is it's strong community support. If you are new to Linux or even new to computing, administrating, networking, etc... Ubuntu is probably the best place to start. The Desktop OS provides an incredibly intuitive design that allows people to get moving quickly while still allowing total systems control like a proper OS should.

For the Ubuntu Server OS variant, I personally learned almost everything I know about Linux on Ubuntu so transitioning to the Server OS was a cakewalk.

What do you dislike?

I think the largest dislike for me when learning and transitioning to Ubuntu was that the majority of OS management was performed at the terminal. In the Server version it's performed strictly at the terminal. When i was first learning my way around Linux I was having a hard time with getting SSH setup so I could log into the server remotely. I found tutorials online but they always seemed to be missing a step or two and I couldn't seem to get it to work. Finally, I asked on a Ubuntu Support forum and the community helped me get SSH setup, with an SSH keypair (certificate instead of password), and took the time to explain how SSH works in Linux. Primarily being a Windows user at that time, the entire setup and configuration was completely foreign to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a robust, yet stable Linux OS with tons of free community support then Ubuntu is the right choice for you. It seems to have some of the best hardware driver support out there so if you are installing on a computer with bluetooth of WiFi capabilities then Ubuntu will probably be the best experience with working drivers out-of-the-box.

I'm currently using Ubuntu as the OS for my development environment of a MEAN stack web app. I'm also running Ubuntu for my DevOps management node while I'm learning Ansible. (Ansible doesn't currently support Windows being a management node.) I'm running web servers with Nginx, Tomcat, Apache on them, Back-end MySQL and MongoDB databases.

Ubuntu review by <span>Guillermo Y.</span>
Guillermo Y.

" linux with ubuntu"

What do you like best?

what I like most about ubuntu is that it is one of the distributions of linux with friendly interface and easy to use, compared to other distributions of linux, it was the distribution that led me to the world of free software, and the best that a community has who works to improve it.

What do you dislike?

what disgusts me of ubuntu is that some installations have problems of starting the operating system, this problem is almost always in the root where we install the operating system and there are cases where we have to format to solve the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend ubuntu to other users to start in linux, besides there is extensive documentation and tutorials.

Ubuntu has helped me to introduce windows users to the world of linux, because it is a friendly distribution has been the door to learn linux in my work department, also in the creation of stable servers.

Ubuntu review by <span>Ayush M.</span>
Ayush M.

"Best for Servers"

What do you like best?

If you have a knowledge in the Linux platform, then this is one of the best OS. I had worked in Ubuntu when I was worked on the servers, Most of the servers have Ubuntu operating system, it is easy to setup. There is three or four commands which we used to setup LAMP. Even if we are talking about security, then you are also familiar with UFW which are the best security part in Ubuntu. The best thing is you no need to pay single amount in ubuntu OS.

What do you dislike?

I dislike nothing in Ubuntu. If you are the new users in Ubuntu, this is little bit tough to understand the UI of Ubuntu, but after that if you familiar with that, this is very easy to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is good for security and development sector. They save your time, easy to setup and best for the servers. They have all the repo's which you want in the development phase.

In the previous organization, we are using windows for the development. And we paid for the windows license. After that, when we implement Ubuntu, they save money because it is the free one even on the servers as well. There are lots of benefit we have realized, We don't need to take tension about security. We all know, nothing is secure on the web. But Ubuntu provide the best security. In Ubuntu, you are using commands,one of the best thing for a developer.

Ubuntu review by <span>Héctor B.</span>
Héctor B.

"An easy way to introduce yourself into Open Source OS"

What do you like best?

intuitive interface, firts time i use an OS with open source was traumataizing, i was used to Windows and suddenly i dont know where is anything, everything is out of place and its pretty much a hell, i uninstall my firts open source OS. When i try Ubuntu all was soft and smoothly, they give you a nice introduction and they keep in mind that probably your new with open source OS.

What do you dislike?

The default app dowload system sometimes fail with the downloads and sometimes you have the app you want itsnt even in the store. Probably they fix this in future versions but now i dont like it. I have found it usefull when you have to dowload the most popular programs but not the less popular.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best way to learn the basis of Open Source.

In my work sometimes i have to work with Linux software and other open source OS. So Ubuntu was great for my first steeps.

Ubuntu review by <span>Marin K.</span>
Marin K.

"My Ubuntu user-experience"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu has been for me one of the most user-friendly Linux distros i have used. It has a simple interface, very easy to use and very cool features and graphics. The new versions which are based in GNOME are further more greater because the menu is accessible in a better way and the system offers much more flexibility. If you're wondering : "What about my hardware? I need drivers to install for all my inputs." Well in my whole experience all devices connected to my computer running Ubuntu connected automatically, no drivers needed.

What do you dislike?

Ubuntu in a nutshell requires a well parameter computer and it does not work well if your computer is not fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone who is trying to switch from Windows or Apple to another OS id suggest Ubuntu because it has a simple to understand environment and you can adapt very quickly.

I'm currently using Elementary OS which is based Ubuntu. I have used it to work with my designs on GIMP or Inkscape, and also to communicate on Telegram with my co-workers. And also for the usual web surfing and correspondence.

Ubuntu review by <span>Ignacio C.</span>
Ignacio C.

"Linux Ubuntu Administrator"

What do you like best?

In Ubuntu you can be writing in one window and moving up and down the content of another. For example, you can be talking by Gaim / Pidgin with a friend and reading a web page by moving it with the mouse wheel quietly. This silly thing can not be done in Windows. Windows only knows how to do one thing at a time, and you have to have the window selected (focused) if you want to scroll through it, which forces you to be changing all the time from one window to another when they speak to you (damn Alt + TAB) . In Ubuntu you can install drivers and applications quietly because it is not necessary to restart the PC to complete the installation. This is not that it is a virgin, since the 60's has been doing. I do not know why Windows forces the user to restart countless times for anything he does. It is really horrible and exasperating (and it makes you lose the tails of the eMule!).

What do you dislike?

Didactic images are missing to motivate children to use this great operating system, should include games that motivate young people to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This distribution is excellent for the implementation of PostgreSQL as a database manager, as well as a good relationship with Apache as a Web server and an important management in servers for the administration of networks such as ProxySquid and DHCP.

In my work, it was migrated to ubuntu because it is a free technology and no more prized licenses from other companies were requested, which saved money for the company in which I work, besides being easy to learn for all employees of the same company. .

Ubuntu review by <span>Angelo Q.</span>
Angelo Q.

"There is always a good way to start "

What do you like best?

Ubuntu comes with features that will make you forget about proprietary software, whatever your user level is; you will always find positive answers in this distribution. I have tried Ubuntu at home, at my job and the answer is always reliable. It must be clear that there must be learning on the part of the user, since the experience will be better and better as you explore the options. However, there is no need to have much prior knowledge for its use, there will always be a software purist with criticism, but it will be easy to dismiss due to the wide variety of possibilities offered by the distribution.

What do you dislike?

Far from being a negative factor, we must know that migrating to free systems requires training of personnel, time, and money. For certain work environments it can bring delays in processes, even if it is a progressive measure. On a personal level, learning can go on its own and at an appropriate pace, but when there is a responsibility involved, everything changes. I also recommend reviewing the features of our equipment, to ensure a more fluid experience, if we have low-resource teams, there are more friendly distributions than the main Ubuntu, and it would be more advisable to try one of them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The first thing u have to do, is to stop thinking about your current operating system, you will always end up looking to stay with it, I recommend starting with Ubuntu for basic things, a multimedia experience of an afternoon, and little by little adding others, with this you guarantee that your test of the Ubuntu’s characteristics, is an enriching and complete experience.

We decided to abandon proprietary software, and we moved to open source, after evaluating options we decided on Ubuntu distributions, in its basic package includes what we need from the current office tools to perform the daily work. The administrative work has been carried out without much inconvenience, except the proper training of the staff in the use of this new tool, which far from being a problem, gives experience to the workers and it can be used outside the office.

Ubuntu review by <span>Shaunak S.</span>
Shaunak S.

"Best enterprise OS for software development"

What do you like best?

package manager apt-get

Native support for PostgreSql database

I can use it on windows subsystem for linux

I love using it on vagrant box.

What do you dislike?

Mounting a smb or shared drive is not always easy.

When I use it on windows subsystem for linux, then I get permissions issue. Though I set proper user permission on Ubuntu, drives which are shared still use the windows permissions, instead of the changed permissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We used Ubuntu as we get a Vagrant support for it.

It makes our development environment as close to production environment as possible.

Always use the native stable packages with Ubuntu. It would make your system scale - able and easy upgrade - able when newer versions of Ubuntu are released.

If you use Ubuntu on your development, staging and production environment, then it becomes easy to manage your enterprise deployment thru continuous integrations tools like Jenkins.

Very stable. It creates a eco-system for us by providing php-apache-postgres package as a bundle.

Ubuntu has good support for Salt. Because of this deployment of our applications becomes very easy.

Thats the reason we love Ubuntu bundle for our development environment and production environment.

Ubuntu review by <span>Mayank T.</span>
Mayank T.

"The perfect operating system"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu gives you so much freedom to do your job. You can use Ubuntu for virtually anything. It handles everything smoothly. I've never encountered any inconvinience with it. It gives a wide array of compatible softwares which are essential for software development.

It gives constant updates and upgrades which is really helpful.

The LTS support is also another great thing as it is very reassuring for the user.

nVidea GPU support only adds to the greatness of this operating system.

What do you dislike?

There are minor glitches with nautilus. It occasinally slows down and throws an error. The ubuntu software centre is not upto the mark. Many other softwares need to be added into it.

It gives a very poor gaming experience.

Games on Steam too don't fare very well, there are constant frame drops and stutters. Ubuntu really needs to improve upon these fronts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it without second thoughts.

People often say that Ubuntu is not suitable for day to day use as it is very "ENGINEERED", but I disagree with all thosse people.

Ubuntu is very much capable of handling everything "Windows" can do. Though it might appear daunting at first, Ubuntu handles all your needs perfectly. It has support for nVidea GPu as well and even steam games run flawlessly on it, so it is the way to g. It is free of cost and much better than all the other pricey operating systems out there in the market.

Ubuntu has a lot of benefits when it comes to software development. i personally use it for software development.

A lot of API's are compatible only on Ubuntu (and other linux distros).

Many python wheels work flawlessly on Ubuntu which don't on "Windows"

Ubuntu review by <span>Pradeep S.</span>
Pradeep S.

"Most productive operating system for developers"

What do you like best?

Over the years, bash has biggest contribution to make me a productive developer. Ubuntu provides a terminal which is the most developer friendly application which is the default way to use the power of bash. The other thing I like about the

What do you dislike?

1. Folder organization

There can be a better way to have a look at your folders differently, visualize how your things are organized. Having an easy to use way to separate things in workspaces, projects and search.

2. Software Center

The UX of software center is not much useful, the information schema can be improved a lot. One thing I would like to see is a better way to have insights about the reputation of the software developer through software center before installing the software on system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a developer, go for it. If you're not, macOS or windows might be better option for you.

Ubuntu is the default way to do anything on computer for us. The benefits for business is that it avoids any worries about complex licensing structure as seen in case of Windows, plus it's free.

Ubuntu review by <span>Kevin H.</span>
Kevin H.

"Easy to use windows replacement."

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is a great windows replacement for smb's or even personal use. I have a 93 year old grandmother using it because her computer broke and was on a budget. Its super stable when you use the LTS versions and you have the piece of mind knowing that your FREE OS is going to get support for years to come.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve that a lot of people will not want to do because they are so used to a windows environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a small learning curve and some people may not be willing to adapt to it.

This software is something that is used when I have someone that comes to me with a tight budget but needs a new computer The cost is an amazing thing for people that allows them to do most if not all functions that they could on a windows machine for no cost.

Ubuntu review by <span>Gerson C.</span>
Gerson C.

"Ubuntu the best operating system based on linux"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is in my personal opinion, one of the best operating systems based on GNU/Linux, its intuitive operation, it pleases the user, it is perfect for those who migrate from windows to linux, it has a lot of useful programs and libraries for development of software, with a great documentation for all of them, this is why it is one of my favorite operating systems.

The graphic environment is very intuitive and beautifully designed.

What do you dislike?

the problem that most arises, is when there is a need for a program or library necessary for a specific development and is not in ubunto but if in windows, when this stops is annoying and slows the speed in the software development

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to take better advantage of the hardware resources and develop in a Linux-based operating system with a good graphical interface use Ubuntu without hesitation.

they need to improve in the amount of programs they have to offer, they have to develop more tools for development, so they will gain more ground among the development professionals.

This operating system is perfect for its speed and the way it takes advantage of hardware resources, optimizing the development process.

En el proceso de retail su comunicación con las distintas bases de datos fue optimo, presentando mejores tiempos de respuesta que windows.

Ubuntu review by <span>Glenn J.</span>
Glenn J.

"Nice Linux distro for a server"

What do you like best?

I use Ubuntu because I have a lot of experience with it. I find that it does things the way I do things and that is a friendly way for me.

What do you dislike?

I found that some Linux web items don not like to mention how to perform things on an Ubuntu server. My Ubuntu does not support the Windowing system. It is a server and there is no need for the graphics in a server environment. The problem is, I cannot always use directions on how to use a system in the graphics mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a Linux operating system Ubuntu is a good choice and there are many users who can help you out. I had the system up in a matter of hours but it took others a long to to get the Drupal application developed.

I need to host a web server on Amazon and have found Ubuntu as a good inexpensive way of doing this. I have also been able to automate a lot of tasks using Ubuntu.

Ubuntu review by <span>Meenakshi B.</span>
Meenakshi B.

"Ubuntu makes life real easy"

What do you like best?

Well with all my experience I could only find positive points for Ubuntu 14.04. local integrated app menus, utility launcher and also it's minimizer, locking it has never been easier, works really great with VMware, improved graphics and the speed. Very use to use and install. It's highly customizable and plus it's free. Many people around use it and know it, it is easy to find tech support and to share documents, applications with others. There are a lot less viruses on Linux Ubuntu. With kernel modules and developments coming every 6 months or so, Linux these days is highly updated in terms of hardware support. it's never been that good before. My gaming experience has changed forever. I use this with VMware to program in C, which is really great, it makes it much more faster than running on other platform. Also, it can really more faster than any other software. It's one of the stable systems because of it's latest release which is gonna long for five years, there will be no hassle for upgrading it every year. We get GNOME Terminal 3.18 and we can install any app we like.

What do you dislike?

They can be better on cloud support, it can't have something like Visual Studio, hardware has to be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great and easy to use. Easily customized.

I am using it as part of my curriculum and to develop operating system in C. It's great to use that since it's much faster and lighter than most others.

Ubuntu review by <span>Miguel P.</span>
Miguel P.

"Excellent OS for developers"

What do you like best?

All current programming frameworks and libraries provide an Ubuntu package or installer, a real time saver when you depend on it and need it to "just work". Mostly everything works as expected, and when it doesn', online support from its users is more than enough to solve almost any problem. All hardware works out of the box on any new laptop, you can even unplug your harddrive and plug it in a different machine, chances are all hardware will be detected and autoconfigured.

What do you dislike?

Probably a better out-of-the box GUI with more configuration options. For example, I´d like to see a dedicated "tiling window" mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If unsure, just give it a shot and try the live USB version first.

Very cost effective, stable and trust worthy. Each new version has a very decent end of life deadlines, and updates are fast, incremental and of course free. Migrating from one machine to another

Ubuntu review by <span>brian yamanue b.</span>
brian yamanue b.

"Ubuntu, the Power house of you proyects."

What do you like best?

simple, elegant and powerful, using ubuntu allows me to do my work (web development - back end and some front end-) while i can listen to music, search the web o even keep in touch with my contacts on facebook/twitter/google hangouts, you won't miss anything from windows or mac. also, ubuntu give you more freedom to adapt your enviroment according to your need, if i need apache or nginx i can installed with no problems, i can use composer to install all the php dependency that i need an so on.

What do you dislike?

whe software you are used to use in windows or mac may not be available in linux, also, keep a clean and goo enviroment to work can be a little overwhelming, and some times when you install linux in a dual boot, it gives you some strange bugs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

for now, just use ubuntu with unity, it's better than the current version of gnome, i still have some problems and bugs when i use gnome, i hope they fixed because i love the GUI.

right now i have my localhost up and running with the last version of PHP and MYSQL, and because im using linux i know the system im development will have no problems in any webserver my client choose to host his system., also i forget about binaries not working the same because the website or system was developt in windows and not linux.

Ubuntu review by <span>Heidi Elaine K.</span>
Heidi Elaine K.

"The best operating system"

What do you like best?

It mimics Apple's OS in look and feel, but without all of the related issues.

What do you dislike?

You definitely need to have a solid understanding of filesystems and how to locate things - that was the largest barrier to entry for me. Once you develop this knowledge and learn to work a little at the command line, you're good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn some basic commands and get comfortable moving around the computer in a new way. User forums for Ubuntu are a *major* help whenever you're stuck, so just grab error messages and put them into Google and you should find a solution pretty quickly. Listservs and dedicated groups have also been a help when using specific tools - depends on your use case, but there are a lot of people in the open source community who are eager to help.

For digital forensics work, I use Ubuntu to run a bunch of open source software. Ubuntu definitely makes it easier to access and use these tools. I also used Ubuntu in my previous job to connect into the server in order to deposit files there for long-term storage. Ubuntu offers better security than other OSs.

Ubuntu review by <span>Burhan M.</span>
Burhan M.

"Ubuntu was not bad, but some time has made me bored with some error popup message"

What do you like best?

it's a unix like OS, so the terminal syntax is very familiar and well known, scripting in ubuntu was as easy as on mac OS.

it does not need any cost, it's free for everyone, i very very love this one :D.

What do you dislike?

it almost crash every I start the ubuntu, even in the morning, there is a error pop-up coming up in the window and then it asked me either to continue or ignore, it does not make sense for me, so some time ubuntu has made me bored with some useless error-popup message.

and the most important thing was ubuntu's battery indicator was not help me, it was not represent a real battery status. and also, Ubuntu need more battery power, so it was'nt optimal, I think.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The most things to be a consideration:

- Free OS,

- Battery life is too short,

- *nix like terminal/shell syntax

- it's really Free

- and it was Free

- yup, that is Free for you

Some programming problem, solve by some apps i ubuntu, it does not need any cost, everything was almost free for everyone.

Actually, There was more benefit I got from ubuntu, i had some project to handle and also I got some money with that free OS.

Ubuntu review by <span>Jack G.</span>
Jack G.

"A great solution for personal and business information systems"

What do you like best?

Besides the price tag (free), Ubuntu gives a lot of flexibility for home and business use. It also does not require top-of-the-line hardware to function well. Most of my equipment has Ubuntu loaded on it.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Ubuntu Server. However, the Unify UI (default) in Ubuntu desktop is still a sore spot for me. I generally remove it and switch to Mate or Cinnamon shortly after installing the OS.

I primarily use Ubuntu Server. Currently I run three: a front-end web server for a local guestbook program that tracks attendance for a lab I manage, a database server to replicate the data stored on server A, and a SMB file server at home with an OwnCloud front-end and OpenVPN.

Ubuntu review by <span>Brian Z.</span>
Brian Z.

"Great Windows Alternative"

What do you like best?

The capabilities of Ubuntu are amazing. The terminal / command line gives the most flexibility and option a user could want. Software is available mostly through common repositories, making installs and upgrades very easy. The software is not closed, so customizing is fairly easy to do. OS upgrades can, if you choose, happen daily, making your system as current as possible. There are also multiple flavours of Ubuntu to install, depending on your specific needs.

What do you dislike?

There tends to be more bugs than you will see in OS like Windows. There are also anomalies in the interfaces of some softwares, not bugs, but just unexpected behaviour. Sometimes updates get lost in themselves. There are dependencies that are not met or conflicting due to other installed packages. It takes a bit to sort them out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best and highly recommended Linux distros there is for business and personal use.

Ubuntu is used to satisfy the need of a powerful, powerful system to work and integrate well with all other operating systems. It is all, well mostly, open source software, making upgrades of a lower cost. Compatibility with Windows is amazing, this is a major plus as Windows is the primary OS in most organizations.

Ubuntu review by <span>Ensar H.</span>
Ensar H.

"Linux for the masses"

What do you like best?

Stable, solid and tried Linux distro. Easy installation, many languages supported. Linux in general compared to Windows is better built OS, with fewer security issues and virus-free. Ubuntu is very solid on server side too, I have been using it for many years on more than few VPS and server installations. Ubuntu compared to other distros is Linux flavour that just works. I have been using Linux on desktop on and off for last 2 decades; Slack, Gentoo, Arch, Fedora, __insert_any_other_distro__. But Ubuntu is the one I keep coming back to, due to compatibility and support. Only one that comes close and probably surpasses it is Arch, but it is made to be bleeding edge rather than stable one.

What do you dislike?

Nothing directly related to Ubuntu, but rather to the Linux scene. Too many distros. Divided community. No 'year of Linux desktop' yet. If Adobe and MS provide their products on Linux, I would forget about any other OS.

For running web server, you can not beat Linux. And Ubuntu, being based on Debian is just the best for the job. I have tried other server distros, but none of them had hassle-free installation and configuration as Ubuntu did.

Ubuntu review by <span>Diogo R.</span>
Diogo R.

"Ubuntu Server for Everything"

What do you like best?

This open source system is a well supported and well maintained Linux distribution with stable software that you can rely on. It's package manager is one of the best and you'll find almost anything you need.

Online documentation is also good. Since it shares common ancestry with Debian, you can find many information online to all kinds of obstacles you may find.

What do you dislike?

Some cutting edge technologies that evolve quickly (and release versions quickly) will have more difficult to be up to date in the package manager. That's not actually a problem since you can usually find alternative repositories because of the huge community around this distribution.

Since the community is huge, for some niche problems, it's harder to find curated information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always use LTS. For newer software, look for installation instructions since sometimes the version in the package manager is outdated and the software developers might have a PPA.

Ubuntu Server, specially the LTS (Long Term Support) version, released every 2 years, will give you a very stable and supported server version at no cost at all if you have some skills. The community and online documentation is also a plus.

Ubuntu review by <span>Chris S.</span>
Chris S.

"Ubuntu makes life easy"

What do you like best?

ubuntu is extremely easy to customize, personalize, and use. if you are coming from another operating system, there are plugins and themes to make it seem more connected to your prefered operating system.

What do you dislike?

too many choices. when you search on how to do something, you will get back a few different paths - some easy, and some difficult. you have to remember which path you started before you can continue further down your path. for example, if you have a web server, and want to add HTTPS to it, you first have to determine which server you have, and then you can plot a path for adding HTTPS, but you can't start with one server, and then add a new server + HTTPS - you first have to remove your first server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is a very worthy alternative to other operating systems, and to other versions of Linux. they are constantly updating and refining the product, and the quality work they put in shows. you can get one of the other versions, but ubuntu is sure to handle the non-experienced all the way to the super experienced user.

if you are looking for a real quick and dirty environment to do something - create a website, FTP, etc - and don't want to use the Cloud - Ubuntu is an awesome alternative. you can install the operating system in minutes (depending on speed of computer), type a few commands, and get a top quality web daemon running quickly after. Ubuntu is able to quickly update itself with patches so you can download a DVD once per year, use it, and then discard it if not necessary.

Ubuntu review by <span>Adrian R.</span>
Adrian R.

"Excellent Linux operating system"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu I love its versatility and compatibility of its applications, I've always used it in a graphical and console without any complaint. What I love most is security and information that can be obtained to find help on the web.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike Ubuntu for anything really that I have always used this Linux operating system so it really provides that when choosing a Linux distribution I always go for Ubuntu is my favorite

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Ubuntu to all people who require to choose a Linux distribution that for me is the best that exists and is very easy to work and Didactiva, compatible. You can always find super information on the web about how to implement projects through Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu I have come to solve many business problems because I have a VPS with Ubuntu where I have my website business and I have always worked very well.

Ubuntu review by <span>Manthan M.</span>
Manthan M.

"It Is Fast..."

What do you like best?

Just did a fresh install of 18.04, and oh my it's fast. Everything is so responsive, which I think is due to Ubuntu switching to GNOME. The UI is amazing (for a linux distro) and I love the software center as it allows me to easily install 3rd party apps like Spotify and Minecraft quickly. I also love that I can update the computer without ever having to restart it, and since it is open source, I dont get the spam I generally get while using Windows.

What do you dislike?

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 along with Windows and I am disappointed that it didn't allow me to encrypt anything. I understand that since it is a multi-partition drive already it can't really encrypt anything, but I feel like Ubuntu should at least give me the option to encrypt my home folder which can be done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, it is very simple to use. Even if you don't want to install it, you can burn Ubuntu onto a USB 3.0 and boot to it and use it without ever installing it.

I mainly work with Intel's SGX platform and Ubuntu is one of the support platforms. It really helps with development and I

Ubuntu review by <span>Josbeb D C.</span>
Josbeb D C.

"A world of Open Source at your fingertips!!!!!!!!"

What do you like best?

To start and open source learning is very intuitive and effective to adapt to a new experience. Something very important to highlight in its favor is that Windows to bring a large amount of malicious software and for the free software platform is not very common since it allows the modification of its source codes to the user's taste and the needs of this. Ubuntu allows you to install drivers and applications without the need to reboot the PC to complete the installation which is many times causing inconvenience. An ideal example of Ubuntu is Gaim / Pidgin allows you to chat with your colleagues and at the same time you can go reading a web page or a book without much effort just moving it with the mouse wheel in silence..

What do you dislike?

Despite its great advantages has a deficiency at the development level is not recommended as it is more defined to end users, this leads to bring unnecessary packages that often do what they do is harm the software and tend to think and collapse the PC ... This does not facilitate good software development practices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important for the learning of new users of free software so that they can adapt to the new experience that this entails .... They can be intuitive and adaptable.

100% recommended for those who want to learn more about the vulnerabilities of proprietary software such as Windows or Apple. You can have the option to migrate to this software "Ubuntu". It has a simple environment to understand and can be adapted very quickly.

Ubuntu review by <span>Timothea B.</span>
Timothea B.

"One of the best OSes out there"

What do you like best?

I love Ubuntu's reliability, performance, and accessibility.

What do you dislike?

Microsoft's ecosystem only grudgingly works with it, which is annoying, but Google's ecosystem works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend looking around at all Ubuntu can do out-of-the-box, it's impressive. You should consider trying out Evolution for email if you like Outlook, otherwise Thunderbird does a fairly good job.

Also, while it's not required, I recommend getting to know the command line, once you get used to what it can do you'll never want to go back to a system without it :)

It's hands-down the best OS for web development, as well as my personal favorite for servers. It has drastically reduced the amount of time I have to spend getting new dev systems configured for development, and has provided years of uninterrupted uptime for servers.

Ubuntu review by <span>Enrique Y.</span>
Enrique Y.

"Linux with ubuntu."

What do you like best?

What I like about ubuntu is how it takes advantage of all the elements of a computer RAM processor optimizing each component to the maximum and consume fewer resources with this operating system, increasing the speed of processing.

What do you dislike?

when installing version 17.10 of ubuntu when adding some repositories it causes problems with the updates and getting some audio or wifi driver is something difficult.

another thing is the changes of versions in short time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations for users is to read the changes made in each update of ubuntu when it comes to compatibility with some programs.

ubuntu helps me to create more secure servers taking advantage of the security configurations of this distribution, in addition to using equipment that is not of high resources.

Ubuntu review by <span>Deborah V.</span>
Deborah V.

"The easiest to use, most popular Linux distribution"

What do you like best?

Runs on just about any hardware, from a $20 Raspberry Pi, to a $1000 laptop, to a high end server. I've got Ubuntu running on a Raspberry Pi, and my development machine. I've got old laptops, that are too slow for Windows, but Ubuntu runs fine on them.

Availability of apps: If a software developer _has_ a Linux version, they are very likely to have aversion that will run on Ubuntu, and very often I even find they offer an Ubuntu specific version.

Never get a virus: I store my photos, and important documents on my Ubuntu machine. I've been running Linux/Unix for nearly 30 years, and I never worry about security. I can't say the same for my Windows box.

It's powerful, flexible and configurable.

Bloatware is never an issue.

It's free. It's well supported.

What do you dislike?

The screen capture tool could be easier to use. I wish it would copy to the clipboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've never used Linux/Unix before, Ubuntu is definitely the right distribution to choose.

They've made it as easy to use as Windows or Mac (although I'm sure that Mac enthusiasts would disagree).

If you can't find answers on the Ubuntu forums, then StackOverflow is another good place to find answers if you get stuck.

Coding software. I can code via an IDE or command line, or a mix of both.

Code repository. I use git locally, and remotely with ease on my Ubuntu box.

Deploying software. I use a combination of git and ftp.

Testing software, locally. I use a LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), and my Ubuntu Laptop is my Development box.

One of the biggest benefits is the ability to write software without an internet connection, whenever I need to.

It's also highly configurable. I run a nodejs LAMP stack sometimes, and a native LAMP stack other times, depending on the type of project I'm working on.

Ubuntu review by <span>Varun D.</span>
Varun D.

"Ubuntu 14.04 LTS review"

What do you like best?

For anybody used to or essentially desirous of the Mac's OS X interface, utilizing Ubuntu is a breeze. In any case, significantly for marooned Windows clients with as yet working equipment, Ubuntu will offer an essence of genuine 21st century work area registering, with a free, open and about without cost elective that possesses a great deal of security and support. The interface is spotless, open and satiny in task.

What do you dislike?

Canonical cases that their application is right around a total arrangement, however they are in reality a long way from it. From an apprentice's perspective, Ubuntu Programming Center may appear to be finished, yet it does not have a considerable measure of highlights, also straightforwardness.

For instance, when installing a .deb it doesn't demonstrate to you what dependencies it is installing along with it. Perhaps you just got a library you didn't need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canonical gives you the control through Launchpad, so anybody can download it and use it in their distribution.

In addition, most of the projects additionally give a PPA of Ubuntu Software Center. But this is a nightly build, and may break a few functionalities or two. To do this, Open a terminal and enter the accompanying charges:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:software-store-developers/daily-build

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Only do this when you are certain with what you want to achieve as downgrading Ubuntu is not an easy path to follow.

Ubuntu is our preferred choice while setting up any new server. Ubuntu makes it very easy for anyone to just spin off a server and install the whole app in just a single click. Installing any app is rather unconventional in Windows and costly in Mac.

Ubuntu review by <span>Mark F.</span>
Mark F.

"If you are new to LInux and want to ease in, then I definitely recommend you start with Ubuntu"

What do you like best?

It has a great user-friendly "Windows-like" desktop to help those who are new to Linux. I've been using Ubuntu for many years, just because it's easy to install and configure, and I can run it on any computer from a USB drive without ever installing it.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike about Linux in general, and Ubuntu makes Linux admin a snap. The package manager is a little clunky at times, not many operating systems can match the power and performance of a Linux machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the live cd version, and run it. It's free, and you can experience all Ubuntu has to offer without installing anything on your system. I use a live USB boot on my Windows laptop so I can do some development without overhauling my system.

Security and performance. I had a client who using PostgreSQL as a backend for a web app. The server response times were a bit slow. We built a simple Ubuntu system on a spare desktop, and ported the database over. The response time for the web app improved by 35%

Ubuntu review by <span>Austin C.</span>
Austin C.

"Better with Gnome"

What do you like best?

The GNOME desktop environment makes Ubuntu extensible and less intrusive. The release cycle of Ubuntu is dependable and releases are easy to upgrade to. Ubuntu is stable and makes a great bootable flash drive. APT is a great package manager as well. I have had a great time using Ubuntu as a headless server as well, as it is a very stable and well-documented platform, and has many options on services like AWS.

What do you dislike?

The Unity Desktop is atrocious (and previously invasive). The only downside to APT is that Canonical is slow with updating the main package repository, which means that there is a longer wait for updates from many of the standard software packages, as opposed to a constant release like Arch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu has one of the best communities in the Linux world and is also easier to switch to from Mac OS or Windows than some of the other distributions. Finding help for problems is easy and the software is mature + well maintained. The Unity Desktop environment is much worse than the GNOME shell environment.

Developing on one of the most common systems to deploy on makes it easier for teams to test software locally without the need to upload to a continuous integration service. This helps finding platform specific bugs as soon as possible.

Ubuntu review by <span>SHEETAL K.</span>
SHEETAL K.

"Best Operating System for Application Hosting"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu Operating System usage very low memory and CPU to perform its internal operation so maximum CPU and RAM is available for your Application or Website. It also has good resource management technique to allocate and deallocate resources. Due to these the performance of Ubuntu is always best.

What do you dislike?

Authentication recovery process is not easy in this operating system. I you lost your password or key file then recovery process is hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would always like to recommend to all to use Ubuntu Operating System for any type of hosting.

Ubuntu is very useful for our website hosing, Database management, Data Processing etc.

Ubuntu review by <span>Katrina B.</span>
Katrina B.

"Ubuntu is a great alternative OS!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can run Ubuntu off of a flash drive or install it as a complete operating system. It's a great alternative to other more popular operating systems available, because it runs off the Linux system and seldom allows viruses.

What do you dislike?

The GUI is a bit clunky, and there's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it, Ubuntu works really well! Additionally, Ubuntu does not include all the standard programs one is accustomed to using on Windows, but the ability to add similar programs is improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is easy to use, once you immerse yourself. They have made this OS similar to Windows, but without all the headaches that come with the potential for viruses. If you're looking for a quality OS that, for the most part, will allow you to utilize programs (like Word, pdf documents, spreadsheets, graphic imaging, etc.) similar to what you use on your Windows system, this would make a great option! Oh - and it's FREE!

I've had my Window OS computer systems freeze up due to issues, viruses, etc. Consequently, I've found it convenient to have a computer with an installed version of Ubuntu, for emergency purposes. Additionally, using a flash drive, I can run Ubuntu from the flash drive without installing it on my affected computer, and use it to find and delete any virus/infected files on the hard drive. It's really amazing!

Ubuntu review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Ubuntu for Web Server Use"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is easy to install and has done a great job of both releasing bi-annual version updates as well as Long Term Support (LTS) versions. They keep the software patched and up to date and that has been a huge feature for us.

What do you dislike?

I do not have much to comment on that I dislike. I've been using Ubuntu for so many years, I don't remember when we even started.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu has been a great platform. They are continually improving and updating the system. The security fixes and update management have been huge for us and I would certainly recommend this product to others. While almost everyone in our organization uses the services provided by the underlying platform they do not realize it and the gains impact our IT department the most.

We've utilized Ubuntu for the Apache Web Server and PHP software platform. It has served us very well and provided a stable platform for our web server hosting both for internal and external projects. Due to the way they maintain the product it has also decreased our support load for patching and updates. We've been able to lean o

Ubuntu review by <span>Fedor P.</span>
Fedor P.

"Awesome linux distribution to use for any type of development. Linux is amazing!"

What do you like best?

So clearly everybody should already know that linux is a very powerful platform as-is. Ubuntu makes it infinitely times better. Ubuntu is one of the few platforms that has a really developed and well-researched user interface, while other linux distributions remain only useable in the form of a command line. Because of this, Ubuntu captures both audiences: Those that are familiar and capable of using a computer in a command-line only environment, and those that aren't familiar or comfortable with it quite yet. Linux can be really tough, but Ubuntu is a great place to start for those that aren't familiar.

What do you dislike?

Linux an be tough a lot of the time. I feel that there isn't enough coverage and help with dealing with bugs and other issues that come when trying to install average apps that would be so simple to install on other operating systems like Windows and macOS. Also, when it comes to practicality, Ubuntu is tough because it is after all targeted at developers, which makes it really hard to use because of incompatible general drivers for sound, display, etc...

Recommendations to others considering the product

For others using Ubuntu, please plan ahead and make considerations for support for the products you are planning to use. While it is unlikely that the library or application you are planning to use will not support Ubuntu, it is still good to double-check.

My organization uses a server-side distribution of Ubuntu for our entire application backend. It is very quick, efficient, and practical for a solution that we need. It is simply the best-developed, most affordable professional solution for the problem we are trying to solve, which is why it outcompetes all of its competitors.

Ubuntu review by <span>Lucas R.</span>
Lucas R.

"Review for Ubuntu"

What do you like best?

The user interface is very sleek and intuitive. The terminal and command line are also super intuitive and easy to use. It is completely free and the support is good and free. Very stable OS. I use it with Virtual Box on Windows 10 and it is very easy to set up and use.

What do you dislike?

The security system is a bit crazy. You need to enter your username and password a lot of times every time you want to download a new package, even after you've logged in. There are a lot of rapid changes and upgrades.

Coding and compiling software on the same operating system throughout the entire company.

Ubuntu review by User in Internet

"A Versatile Linux Distribution with a Beautiful User Interface and a Robust Framework"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu has the best online community, documentation and resources hands down. As an average user, if you run into an issue, you are almost always a Google search away from the solution. Even as an advanced user or a developer, you will find plenty of resources online regarding your specific issue. Ubuntu gives you the best of both worlds, by providing an elegant and functional user interfaced, backed by the robustness and versatility of Linux.

What do you dislike?

While Ubuntu generally has the most comprehensive bundle of drivers, occasionally you may find that there is no built-in driver for your specific hardware, which means you have to resort to the community for support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure your specific hardware platform supports Ubuntu, and what version. For instance while you may be able to install Ubuntu on some versions of ARM, the OS may not recognize peripherals or you may run into issues.

I use Ubuntu as a fully featured Linux platform for software development. When it comes to developing software, no other platform is as complete as Ubuntu. Additionally, I can always utilize the beautiful user interface for everyday tasks.

Ubuntu review by <span>Estrella Y.</span>
Estrella Y.

"Ubuntu, a good way to take advantage of hardware"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is one of my operating systems based on GNU / Linux favorites, its design has improved greatly with each version, without having to envy anything to private operating systems, counting as always with one of its greatest virtues that is the use of hardware, making the maximum use of computer resources, this is perfect for those who require the use of large memory and processor consumption, added to this the community has been responsible for adding large applications that meet the needs of users in different professional fields, giving the possibility to those who do not have a lot of money, to be able to use very complete work tools, capable of doing a splendid job, that's why their best virtues are the use of resources and being free.

What do you dislike?

Although it has improved a lot, there are still deficiencies in the amount of software available, with nothing to complain to the community since they do a great job, there is still a need for more tools or software in various fields of work, or similar in quality to those of Windows or Mac, added to this, the compatibility with the different devices in the market must be immediately improved, sometimes it is an arduous task to find functional drivers for devices of daily use, it could be good to find the way that compatibility with applications that are for Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to take full advantage of the technical capabilities of your computer and be free, Ubuntu is your operating system, in addition to this has good applications and great work by the community.

The need to have an operating system that takes full advantage of computer hardware was solved, since the applications were of high consumption and it was necessary to make the most use of its benefits, without the need to invest in new computers.

Ubuntu review by Administrator

"Ubuntu"

What do you like best?

Most Linux operating systems are not user friendly. This one is. The GUI (Graphic user interface) is wonderful. It is extremely useful for organizations with in-house developers. Easy to implement. It is free to download.

What do you dislike?

I suppose it would be nice if updates were manageable via SCCM. I am unsure if this has been implemented yet, but since a lot of companies are moving more towards automation, this would be a huge feature update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a light-weight, but still user friendly Linux OS for your solution, Ubuntu is the best (In my opinion).

We use the Ubuntu OS to run our in-house intranet solution. It is just nice to have a light-weight Linux OS for in-house developed solutions. We also use for our code backup solution, as well as have a separate Ubuntu box for storing old versions of our intranet information.

Ubuntu review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Amazing OS - Windows Killer"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is an amazing Operating System, although it has been a mainstay in allot of companies for a long time, in the last 5 years it has gone from being a system that you could only use if you were technically savvy (I'm thinking of the various issues with graphics & hardware drivers back in the day) these days thanks to streamlining installation and the expanding community its become one of the easiest operating systems in the world to run with!

It's simplicity is it's best feature, and makes for an amazing free alternative to windows for people who mainly use a computer to check their social media or organise their photos.

The community is also amazing, as I previously mentioned above, and whenever you run into difficulties a quick google will generally find someone else who has had the exact same issue, and either the steps they took to get around it or a bug report with a status while the ubuntu team fix it.

What do you dislike?

I am not the biggest fan of the unity interface, when ever I use Ubuntu it tends to be using the resource free'ing xfce desktop or the original gnome one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really stable build - Allot of big business tend to use either ORacle or Redhat - so ask consumers what theyare using before deciding if it works in ubuntu it will work on the redhat kernal

Free Operating system! Widely supported means that we can test our software in ubuntu and be sure that it will work on most systems that customers use

Ubuntu review by <span>Tim G.</span>
Tim G.

"Ubuntu is winning desktop and server positions"

What do you like best?

The best feature Ubuntu has to offer is the wide availability of installable packages. Right behind that is the project’s commitment to long term support on certain releases.

What do you dislike?

There is littl to dislike about Ubuntu, however the lack of a hardened setup option for common configurations is disappointing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Running linux is a fantastic way to reduce cost, but only if you have the technical expertise to be your own support. Consider all the costs, but then do it because all the cool kids are doing it. :)

I run Ubuntu for many different projects. I run a website for my wife on it, and sandbox servers for my company.

Ubuntu review by <span>Brian M.</span>
Brian M.

"Ubuntu for Life"

What do you like best?

Open Source Means it is stable and secure from the normal everyday problems faced by most Microsoft or Apple users. Almost every program or feature of a Mac OS or a Windows machine can be found in Ubuntu. No need for anti-virus software because Ubuntu is made by people who know what they are doing, the open source community. Ubuntu is bridging the gap between the impoverished and access to modern technology allowing for changes in society never before imagined. Ubuntu is lightweight and can run on many builds.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that it is less popular in popular culture and especially in business. I have never seen a dentist office running Ubuntu, but I bet they are out there. Because you can use Ubuntu for little to no money at all less aware people think it is inferior or overly complicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for development and creating real things. Fewer Games are available for Ubuntu so that can be a deterrent.

Using Ubuntu as a strong foundation for strong workhorse servers. Also using Ubuntu as a base for development environments.

Ubuntu review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

It's one of the most popular choices among Linux Distros and there's lots of how to guides for configuring it. It's based on the Debian distro so anything you can do with Debian, you can do with Ubuntu. There's a vast library of packages for it so you shouldn't be having to compile anything to get it to run. It has become so widely used that Microsoft has implemented Ubuntu as a subsystem to Windows. As with most Linux distros, there are forks of it and most are for using it with a different user interface than Ubuntu Unity (like GNOME, KDE, and Xfce)

What do you dislike?

It is updated regularly but that's not necessarily a good thing when it comes to using it as a server. I've seen companies use Ubuntu as a server but then only update them once in a while. If they were using a proper server Linux distro, this would be fine because software packages are only updated once they've been proven to be secure. And with Ubuntu, you have a higher chance of running vulnerable software even if it's been up to date. I've also found it to use up more memory than other distros.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The go to Linux distro because it's easy to configure. Some may say it's too easy...

Easy to configure and less chance of messing it up. Free and open source so that's also a bonus. Any virtual or dedicated server provider will support Ubuntu.

Ubuntu review by <span>David M W.</span>
David M W.

"Friendly Linux for everyone and any PC"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is super easy to install. It works well, and on most any hardware. I haven't had a problem installing Ubuntu anywhere.

Get a Live CD (or USB stick) and boot, and check it works on your machine before even having to commit to installing.

Heck, I've even used Ubuntu Live CDs to fix corrupt Windows installations.

It is also well-supported with regular six-monthly releases, and an avid community behind it.

What do you dislike?

Ubuntu hides some things from power users. You can get them, of course, if you know what you're doing but the default environment doesn't have a terminal pinned to the tray but yet has Amazon there.

Also, it wants to be rebooted routinely. This is in contrast to much of the UNIX legacy of being able to run for years and years, unlike Windows' weekly / monthly reboot requirement.

Also, there is some quality control issues. I find that things break when doing nothing more than a usual apt-get upgrade without any advanced or unusual tweaking. For instance, syslog fills up with problems when Python is upgraded and other apps - that were installed by Ubuntu - can't find Python anymore, because the Python upgrade didn't preserve a symlink.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind Ubuntu Linux - and other Linux distributions - are at no cost, but you will want to pay for support if you are using it in an enterprise setting. You can't forget that.

Ubuntu is always a good choice for a server where you don't want/need Windows-specific software (e.g. Exchange) and don't want the overhead of Windows, and importantly, where you just want to be able to ssh into the box without having to deal with the overhead of a GUI.

Ubuntu provides a very low-cost / low-spec server for a very versatile range of things.

Ubuntu review by <span>Amol B.</span>
Amol B.

"Ubuntu: Making Linux obtainable to the masses!"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is a super easy Linux based OS to use. With minutes, a normal user is able to setup a stand alone desktop configuration. From a server point of view, setting up and configuring Tomcat, Postgre or anything else you need for development is pretty much a breeze. I highly suggest it for anybody who wants to learn more about Linux or even a Linux veteran. Give it a shot, heck, you can even run it off a USB stick.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this moment in time, I have been using Ubuntu for a decade now and still recommend it to friends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Ubuntu Forums are amazing for users who are learning or trying to configure the product. If it is not there, they are plenty of bloggers who utilize the OS.

My work involves the Healthcare IT domain, so anything from database design to full blown EHR implementations.

Ubuntu review by <span>Gediminas B.</span>
Gediminas B.

"Awesome Linux OS for both beginners and advanced users"

What do you like best?

It is extremely user-friendly, meaning that even beginners can get a hang of this operating system really quick! It's also fast, supports most software, and is quite secure. Last but not least, it has a huge online community and great documentation to go along with it.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing that I can complain about when it comes to Ubuntu. The only downside that I can think of is that it does not support video games as well as other platforms. But if you use it for work-related purposes, you won't even notice it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to learn Linux, then Ubuntu is definitely a good place to start. I love it so much, that I even setup dual OS on my home computer. My biggest advice is not to fear if you do not know something. Ubuntu has great documentation and community.

Ubuntu has allowed our team to get introduced with the world of Linux and what it has to offer. It also provides many useful tools. And the best part is that most of them are free!

Ubuntu review by <span>Adam A.</span>
Adam A.

"Modern, reliable convenience"

What do you like best?

For our use cases almost everything just works. We find it encouraging that Canonical prioritises usability and user experience over questionable ideological concerns that sometimes harms the upstream. We like that a larger proportion of packages are kept up to date than in some competing distributions.

What do you dislike?

Updating between versions sometimes doesn't work perfectly. Even the 2 year gap between LTS leaves too much time between new packages for our purposes.

We need a trustworthy platform with up to date packages for development and testing purposes, as well as in-production hosting. Ubuntu fits this requirement better than anything else we've used.

Ubuntu review by <span>Wade W.</span>
Wade W.

"Ubuntu is a great OS, but their UI has taken a turn in the last few years"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is a very easy to use Linux distro with broad support for lots of hardware and software tools. Ease of install and use for desktop OS is better in Ubuntu than any other Linux distribution.

What do you dislike?

The default UI in Ubuntu went down a very dark path a few years ago, and I'm not sure if they have recovered yet. The good news is that this can easily be fixed by installing a better windows manager such as XFCE or KDE. This easy workaround saves Ubuntu as a usable tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great way to try Linux, just make sure to switch the Window Manager quickly after install.

Ubuntu is a free OS that easily reduces need for expensive OS licensing. Linux in general can be more secure than some of the more popular desktop OSes. Several companies I have worked for require Linux as desktop OS.

Ubuntu review by <span>Tran P.</span>
Tran P.

"A state-of-the-art Linux distro that I usually use in my Linux-based projects"

What do you like best?

- Very easy yet powerfull linux distro comparing to other Linux derivations.

- Lightweight, very least of resource consumption. It can be run even from a small USB stick

- The population. It is supported by many other software solutions

- Software package installation and configuration is quite simple

- The Logical Volume Manager (LVM) is quite simple to manage and we can easily extend storage space. It's especially useful when we deploy virtual machine in test environment and then raise it up to production

What do you dislike?

- Just like other Linux distros, it's GUI interface is not a full feature one and thus it is not a system for office users

- Its office utilities such as word processor, speadsheet, etc... is not as powerful as Microsoft-bases systems

Recommendations to others considering the product

- This is a great platform to get starting with open source world as well as Linux. From a very newbie user with a USB stick, to a software developer that need a LAMP application platform, all the way up to a system administrator that need a platform to run their utilities, Ubuntu is a good choice

- Working in a small business organisation, researching and developing open source solutions is a high demand to survive against luxury commercial solutions. And Linux operating systems, including Ubuntu, is a good place to build them up and go to market

Ubuntu review by Agency in Information Technology and Services
Agency in Information Technology and Services

"Ubuntu is a solid free OS which suits most of the people"

What do you like best?

This is free, most of the apps that everybody uses daily are available for free too. The user interface and design are beautiful and easy start with. The font rendering is good. What I like is that a very advanced user (like a developper) or a grandma can use this same system. It can be setup very simply, with a few daily used softwares (for my grandma, skype, chrome, openoffice) or with a very complete setup (for me with docker, phpstorm, vagrant, etc...). I am using this system for 5 years and I never experienced any virus or malware issues, a bit the same as on a Mac, but for free. It can be customised as much as you want, I personally use the Unity Tweak Tool to load some Flat Design icons and to be able to customise my fonts colors, the sizes and this works very well. Coming from Windows, I can say that this OS is way more suited to developpers, the console is the default way of installing, updating and removing softwares. The file system is more staright forward. I noticed that there are are only a few issues of portability between Mac and Ubuntu.

What do you dislike?

Some very specific softwares are not available on Ubuntu, things like audio softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't use specific softwares (unavailable on Ubuntu) then don't hesitate, the system is powerful, stable and easy to use.

Ubuntu provides a perfect solution for web developpers. Provides a professional environment to work.

Ubuntu review by <span>Adam J.</span>
Adam J.

"Ubuntu an easy to use OS"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to develop whatever you want on Ubuntu. I guess the ease of use for that comes from the fact that you have bash and can do anything from the command line. You literally do not need any GUI what-so-ever. Ubuntu has a special place on my harddrive as a secondary OS to boot to for development on coding projects

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot to dislike, sometimes weird drivers don't want to work on some machines, but that is the nature of the OS Ubuntu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using Ubuntu if you are new to the linux OS then after you use it for a while find a new flavor you like Ubuntu still today is a daily driver for my machine.

We needed a platform for our coders to code on, Ubuntu was the best solution we came up with as a standard across all our company machines.

Ubuntu review by <span>Tarun G.</span>
Tarun G.

"One OS that works everywhere without any issue "

What do you like best?

Ubuntu’s intuitive interface is Fast, secure and with thousands of apps to choose from — for everything you want to do, Ubuntu has what you need.

There are lot to write about what I like the best, let me quote in points

1. FREE - Always remain free

2. NO Malware

3. Control over everything you can think of

4. Easily available

5. Works everything you needed

6. Quick updates as the community is very strong

7. Easy to customize

8. UI is extremely good (In case you are using it for your desktop)

9. A whole world of apps (Chromium, Gimp, LibreOffice etc)

10.Smarter searching

What do you dislike?

There are few things that I don't like about ubuntu

1. After installing the OS, you need to update all the packages which take a lot of bandwidth

2. If crashes, difficult to recover the data

3. Few packages are not supported on my DELL Studio 1450

4. Frequent Updates needs more bandwidth

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a good to have OS as its free and with a strong community, which helps a lot

I use this for my personal machine for development, and for AWS EC2 instance for Server, this has made my life easier as the community is very strong and you get help very easily.

Ubuntu review by <span>Rae T.</span>
Rae T.

"Easy to install"

What do you like best?

When I had been given a computer for free to mess around with, I had decided that I had wanted to install Ubuntu in order to just see if I could. I had set it up quite quickly (or as quickly as installs happen) and if I had any questions, Ubuntu had guided me to where I needed to go. It was definitely user friendly and that was what was important to me at the time.

What do you dislike?

I did not like that there were not enough programs that would work well with it. Sure, installing a windows emulator did help, however, it would have been nice to not have to have that extra step.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If one does not have the funding for a windows or apple OS and need to have an operating system, Ubuntu is a rather good one to have as it is easy to install and work with, especially with little training in the OS. I would suggest getting the emulators that are also rather easy to install (or at least the windows one was) to go with as it would make things easier on the person using it.

It was more for wanting to see if I could install an OS on an outdated machine that was donated. The benefits were that if I did not have an extra windows installer about, I would be able to use Ubuntu as a good alternative.

Ubuntu review by User in Higher Education

"Ubuntu the developers OS"

What do you like best?

It is open source you don't have to worry about keys to install onto your system.The best and most important thing is it is virus free, you do not have to worry about purchasing and installing antiviruses. Direct communication with the shell, by just running a few commands. The security offered by the operating system is amazing, the user programs cannot corrupt the OS which is missing in windows.

What do you dislike?

The worst part is its installation along with windows I tried installing it along with windows 10 and it took me two days even after following the steps and it kept showing me the installation screen but nothing was happening, then I installed wubi, but that is only supported till windows 7. Skype is worst on ubuntu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best in terms of software development use it and enjoy learning the commands

I have used it during my studies.

Ubuntu review by User in Internet

"The most user friendly linux distro"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is the most popular linux distro and because of that, it has good support. There is an entire section of stackoverflow dedicated to Ubuntu. So I like that any problem I run into can probably be solved without too much hacking.

What do you dislike?

Maybe this is just a problem with package managers in general, but apt-get and/or aptitude is just trash.

It breaks all the time. You always have to delete some lock file. Installing software and managing dependencies should not be as hard as it is.

I also don't like Unity, but luckily they are going to get rid of it. I use gnome metacity, and I wish it had more customization than it does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It requires a lot of tweaks, but eventually it will be the best development environment for you.

If you are a web developer, you might consider mac instead.. but ubuntu can be equally great for web dev.

Ubuntu also has some weird bugs here and there, so you need understand the basics of linux, such as mounting, and the grub, and filesystem organization, stuff like that. You can use ubuntu and not be a power user, but understanding these things really helps if you have an issue. Ubuntu can run on really low tier hardware too. If you want a server, I'd definitely recommend ubuntu server

I use ubuntu as a development platform. I use it at work, and I use it at home. Its good for open source work. Most of the time is spent in a browser anyways, so when I am writing code, I prefer the linux environment.

Ubuntu review by User in Research
User in Research

"Great OS for Development"

What do you like best?

I love Ubuntu. Ubuntu is easy to setup and easy to use. No experience with the command line? No, problem. Ubuntu Desktop makes it easy to use like you were using a Mac Desktop or Windows Desktop. If you are using Ubuntu as your server OS, you will obviously need to learn the command line. This is easy as there are plenty of resources online for learning it.

What do you dislike?

Not all software companies put out support for Linux distributions like Ubuntu. This means that some software won't work on it. The big players like Microsoft and Google generally try to make distributions for Linux, but sometimes they don't. While this hasn't been a problem for me, it is good to check that if you have other software needs to make sure that there are Linux Compatible distributions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is great, however, I will note that on support, if you don't want to pay, you will need to put in the effort to learn the command line, because almost all information on the internet assumes that you know it. If that doesn't bother you then go for it. I've never regretted it.

I use Ubuntu for my development machine. It is nice because OSx (which is popular for developers) and Linux are both UNIX based so working with other developers is just that much easier. We also use Ubuntu as our Server technology. This is nice because it is so popular that finding help online for issues is quite easy.

Ubuntu review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great all purpose OS for when you need *nix environment"

What do you like best?

It's lightweight, fast, and having the builtin linux tools and languages are perfect for processing and cleaning up giant data files.

What do you dislike?

Setting it up to run can be a hassle as not all hardware is supported, but if you set it to run in a VM, it'll pretty much be plug and chug.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its great for power users and people who are used to linux. I used to use slackware and red hat distros, but I find that Ubuntu is perfect for general use.

Processing giant data files and spitting out the resultant set as an input for other systems. I've had no problems working with files >8GB in Linux, whereas it would stutter and crash while trying to use Microsoft's Office Suite. I might have been able to use the Powershell, but AWK is very powerful and fast.

Ubuntu review by User in Design
User in Design

"Ubuntu, if you don't need to use any other software"

What do you like best?

It is fast, everything is great. I can easily install new software from the internet, really like sudo install and sudo update commands, it would be nice if you implemented a cool html button to click to automatically install some softwares, but I could see a security flaw, or like a button that can be rated by the linux community.

What do you dislike?

If I have my hard drive partitioned, it messes with my windows OS partitioned drive making it not work well

Recommendations to others considering the product

use the most up to date ubuntu as it may have the network drivers you need, and you need the network drivers to start everything.

When formatting hard drives, try to remove them from your windows right away, and linux, because when you view any files they use different filing systems and it messes with the windows, though linux seems to be fine.

web developing, it is great because it is fast, It is easy to install certain things.

Ubuntu review by <span>Adrian King L.</span>
Adrian King L.

"Jam-packed"

What do you like best?

The mere fact that the packages you install work together and are stable but also almost new makes it a must have for developers and administrators working on the bleeding-edge of the scene, the package manager especially is like compatible so people coming from Debian wouldn't have trouble getting started with Ubuntu though there are few adjustments that you have to make like the initialization system and etc.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when you're looking for packages you have to scour their repositories or look for user-made repositories on the internet to be able to use the package that you need, with that being said; it may also come that your system will break because of a package not natively supported in the eco system of the version of Ubuntu you are using

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to the Linux Ecosystem then Ubuntu is a must-have because it introduces you to Linux with such ease that you wouldn't even have to use a manual to get the feel of it.

For hardcore developers and system administrators; all the tools that you need to start working is already in the Package Manager and it is up for you to install them and maintain them accordingly.

With the right people and the right mindset with this Operating System, everything is possible.

I've developed backend servers and web applications with Ubuntu and deployed them also with Ubuntu as the Operating System and as I can say, it is very stable and would cater the needs of the majority

Ubuntu review by <span>Vaibhav K.</span>
Vaibhav K.

"Best OS for Software Development"

What do you like best?

I love that it is simple to use but very versatile at the same time. You have full control of each and every program or application you have on your computer.

Installation of Ubuntu, particularly Ubuntu, is much easier than Windows and Mac OSX. The installation client is as simple as installing Firefox or Chrome on your everyday computer. If you want more advanced settings there is a more customizable setup option for that as well. Along with installation, upgrading the operating system and all the application can be done with one single command which is a huge advantage over other operating systems where either updates are forced or you have to go through the hassle of upgrading each application when an update is released.

You have the freedom to use Ubuntu for any purpose. You can freely study the code and change it on your command. You can compile the operating system and share it with your friends or your team. This makes it easy because you and your team are able to work in the same environment, allowing all your files to be compatible with one another. Ubuntu systems now have to ability to run .NET applications. Businesses that rely on .NET web technology can now use Ubuntu.

What do you dislike?

One of the largest disadvantages of Ubuntu is that some of the hardware does not work properly or it is not compatible. There is a steeper learning curve for users who want to start using Ubuntu based operating systems. This is because a lot of times when you have to accomplish something, you have to use Terminal which the average user may not be comfortable with.

A lot of software is also not available for operating systems such as Ubuntu. If you are a gamer, you would probably stick to Windows as most game developers develop games for Windows rather than OSX or Ubuntu. There are also productivity software such as Microsoft Office which would not be available for Ubuntu as Microsoft does not want Ubuntu to take over their market share.

Lastly, there is no official support offered by Ubuntu. If you have a problem, you can probably find the solution through googling and browsing various forums. This can be time taking and may not be your cup of tea.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep working on releasing frequent upgrade which enhances software development.

A lot of business applications are made available on Ubuntu such as active directories. Ubuntu is one of the most secure operating systems out there. Although nothing can be fully secure and virus free, Ubuntu does a great job at keeping hackers and viruses away from your machine. It even encrypts all of your home directories. For business use, one advantage is that a lot of games do not run on Ubuntu. This cuts down the risk of your employees downloading games and other software which degrades productivity. Thus, using Ubuntu could possibly lead to more productivity. Last but not least, Ubuntu is free. Windows costs money for both personal and commercial use of their operating system.

We use Ubuntu to develop cyber security software.

Ubuntu review by <span>Sugbong (Justin) K.</span>
Sugbong (Justin) K.

"Ubuntu"

What do you like best?

What I like best of Ubuntu is that it is free OS. But I don't need to sacrifice anything for this free OS. It is fully capable and quite close to expensive commercial OS in terms of features and capability. Stability and openness are one of great thing of it.

What do you dislike?

Not much to mention here. Once accustomed to ubuntu environment, it can be quite easy to use and strong for many tasks. It is not as popular as Windows or MacOS, and initially takes longer time to get familiar to it.

Automation uses many scripting and built-in shell scripting capability of ubuntu made it real easy.

Ubuntu review by <span>Scott M.</span>
Scott M.

"Best Linux Distro when you want it to just work"

What do you like best?

I like that Canonical stopped doing everything the Dev community wanted and instead started focusing on usability for regular people. By doing this, they have created a Linux distribution that is more approachable and easier to use, with less tinkering, than nearly any other distribution. This is the Linux distro you can give to your mom or your tech-averse friends, and the distro you can work on without having to tweak a bunch of system settings. It has sane defaults and gets out of your way to let you get work done.

It's also incredibly good as a server OS, especially if you are running Docker.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately Linux still doesn't have perfect driver support, especially with Graphics cards and Mac hardware. The fact that that is still the case in 2016 bugs the hell out of me, but it's the inescapable truth for now.

Canonical could also take better care of their official application repos. For example you can't get Java 8 from the official repos in Ubuntu 14.04

Recommendations to others considering the product

When considering Ubuntu and other distributions, consider which package manager you prefer to use, as well as which Desktop Environment (if any). If you are doing development, look into whether Snappy packages are useful to you.

Use it for software development as most of the tools I use are native to Linux and Ubuntu allows me to use them without having to tweak stuff at the system level.

Ubuntu review by <span>Waqar H.</span>
Waqar H.

"A beginner friendly distribution"

What do you like best?

It is the most beginner friendly distribution I have come across. You won't need to install drivers, in most cases, for anything. If anything goes wrong, you'll find its solution in no-time. It has a very friendly community which don't hesitate to help.

What do you dislike?

When it is newly installed, system is very fast and responsive. But as the time passes, it gets slower and starts lagging. I faced issues with display as it becomes laggy. One thing I disliked most is lack of support for graphics card drivers.

I am developer and most of the tools I use performs very well on Linux OS. I've tried various Linux distributions but I got stuck with ubuntu because it doesn't require setup for everything. And it has an awesome community, so if I face an issue, I can find it's solution in very short span of time.

Ubuntu review by <span>Carolina C.</span>
Carolina C.

"Stability and reliability and continuous support for Ubuntu."

What do you like best?

In the Ubuntu software center there are several open source programs available for use. Apart from that it is not necessary to install antivirus to protect our files and operating systems.

What do you dislike?

The greatest antipathy is more a matter of time and support that is understandably delayed. I'd love to see a newer software support after the initial release of LTS is published and not have to wait until the next LTS cycle. But, this is understandable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

That is a fairly simple system to begin to know this type of distribution and very safe.

Ubuntu is a great system, mainly we use it as a tool for web-based applications and founded on Apache and PHP. Which for my use is very useful and feasible.

Ubuntu review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Ubuntu is my favorite Linux Distro, I love being able to use it daily!"

What do you like best?

I'm a relative newbie to the Linux world, I've only been using it actively for around 10 years. My first distro was ubuntu 7.04, when I found an old business class laptop at a yard sale and needed to wipe the drive. I fell in love with the interchangeable interfaces (eventually settling in on the default Gnome), The powerful shell commands and the freedom of the platform.

What do you dislike?

I would love to use Ubuntu for my home and office work, but sadly there just isn't the support for software that you see on Windows or even Mac's OSX. There are still pieces of software I need a windows install to use.

Ubuntu allows for easy central control through Puppet and enterprise AD integration. The developers in our environment love that our support staff can log in remotely through the command line and fix issues without having to be at the machine.

Ubuntu review by <span>Hoang N.</span>
Hoang N.

"It's more than meets the eyes"

What do you like best?

It doesn't use a lot of resources.it is so fast to load and it seems you have an SSD drive. Bootup within 7 seconds on HHD. The OS is smooth and loaded with appliancations. It is very stable.

What do you dislike?

I wish it has a converter for file format to work with Windows. I wish it has an application library to work with Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good OS. Give it time to mature to work alongside the big boy Microsoft.

Trying to get Ubuntu for Unix environment for testing purposes. I realized why spend so much on Windows if Ubuntu can deliver. I wish it can deliver more.

Ubuntu review by <span>Richard B.</span>
Richard B.

"Easy, Light, Effective, and Well Maintained Linux Distro"

What do you like best?

Quickly and easily setup a desktop or server environment with little effort. You can have a fully functional LAMP stack with all the trimmings up and running in no time with very little effort.

The amount of support forums and documentation for the distro is IMMENSE. If you have a question about how to do pretty much anything in the OS, then the answer is out there in the community forums and/or documentation.

Package and application management is an absolute breeze and incredibly intuitive once you learn some of APT's basic functions and commands.

The distribution itself it well maintained with pretty regular updates, making it one of the most stable and secure operating systems around. It's extremely well balanced and just work "out-of-the-box" with little hassle in expanding it when compared to other Linux distribution flavors.

What do you dislike?

Keeping track of certain dependencies and replacing obsoleted dependencies can become a problem when updating certain software, especially to experimental development versions.

Certain hardware support can be lacking at times.

The standard Unity desktop that Ubuntu ships with isn't the most pleasant to look at, though it's functionality is just fine.

There isn't a lot of commercial office, productivity, design, or development software available at the moment.

It should be noted that most of these complaints are specific to Linux in general and not just the Ubuntu distribution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a web developer or have aspirations to become one, than it's well worth it to familiarize yourself with Ubuntu and Linux in general since most of the web runs on Linux and LAMP stacks.

I use Ubuntu Server as my operating system for all my VPS hosting and have Ubuntu Desktop at my home for testing, and debugging before deploying to my VPS hosting providers.

Ubuntu review by <span>Manpreet S.</span>
Manpreet S.

"Free And Secured Operating System Available in Market"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that it is free of cost and is very secure compared to Windows and no antivirus is needed for this. No tension for license renewal

What do you dislike?

We cannot customise its UI and Microsoft applications cannot be installed in it as it has its own Libra office which is not very convenient as compared to Microsoft office.

Recommendations to others considering the product

have to work upon its applications availability

We all have Ubuntu installed in our laptops since it is a free source and is secured.

Ubuntu review by <span>Anshul J.</span>
Anshul J.

"An amazing desktop OS which can also be used in servers"

What do you like best?

It works out of the box and many popular applications provide their executable for the Ubuntu OS making it compatible with large number of applications. Many distros are derived out of Ubuntu which are good too based on personal preference. Overall, the ease of use it brought to Linux is unmatched.

What do you dislike?

Although, it is great desktop OS, it should provide some options to use other desktop environment. Many people are not comfortable with Unity and would like traditional desktop. For this they have to switch to unofficial Ubuntu flavours which are not recommended for production systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great desktop OS. A good alternative to paid operating systems. Ubuntu has made the Linux experience really easy. So, now anyone can use it. Ubuntu server is great too for production deployments.

Using it on the production machine to develop software.

Ubuntu review by <span>oren m.</span>
oren m.

"Ubuntu is the best first linux OS"

What do you like best?

Customize options are great, the fact that I can choose between KDE, gnome, mate, etc.. Gives the user freedom and convenient, also there are lot's of free apps to install from the store or from apt-get.

My favorite thing about ubuntu is it's hardware compatibility out of the box

What do you dislike?

If you don't know linux it may be hard to get use to

Recommendations to others considering the product

depends what are your needs, if you comfortable ubuntu is great as a desktop OS and as a server

Most our servers are linux based running on ubuntu, it's easy to install and easy to maintain and troubleshoot.

Ubuntu review by <span>Alexis T.</span>
Alexis T.

"I have been used Ubuntu for 10 years, for personal use, java/php development and IT tech researshs."

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is the most easy-of-use linux distribution which i have been used. As end user, I can control every task and configure a lot of functions. Adding compit, you could get an amazing interface, small impact in the performance.

Also, it's great for web developers and sysadmins. We can create a variety of environments.

What do you dislike?

It is continusly patched. Some old bugs still exists(full screen programs are covered by the tools bar).

I'm not sure to use Ubuntu for production / high availability environment, because has a lot of fixes every day and the installation take many desitions for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are thinking to move or try free software of the linux family, Ubuntu is one of the best ideas.

If you are Java/PHP/Web developer, Ubuntu also is a very good choice, easily you can setup a development environment, virtual machines, etc.

The most important benefit is what I'm using good free software, stable and with a world wide support community

Ubuntu review by <span>Sam S.</span>
Sam S.

"Freedom comes with a (very slight) cost"

What do you like best?

It's the best shot at Linux becoming a mainstream operating system. Between pretty branding, an ambitious CEO, wide hardware support, insanely good documentation, Debian roots, a slick desktop environment (when applicable), and probably most importantly, PPAs/Snappy, Ubuntu gets out of your way and gives developers a lot of options to make things easy for users.

Really, the only reason I'd recommend anyone to NOT use Ubuntu would be if they're already familiar with Linux or a privacy nut.

What do you dislike?

Canonical has a bit of a habit of taking without giving back, whether it be lack of upstream contributions or just reaping users' privacy. Yes, they stopped enabling Amazon's search integration by default, but it still happened, and it's still in the OS. That deducts points.

Also, I hate Unity. Just personal taste, and I know it's pretty intuitive and has a lot of fans, but I'll take a lightweight XFCE any day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's flexible, super well documented, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. If you're overly concerned about the direction Shuttleworth is taking the company, then maybe look elsewhere, like Debian proper. I genuinely think they learned a little bit of a lesson with the Amazon fiasco, but who knows. Overall though, as someone that uses Gmail and Facebook, my privacy is basically non-existent anyway. I think the benefits of using such a polished distribution outweight the minor privacy concerns.

All of them. For all the discourse over Unity, I actually just use it on a VPS, so I don't really deal with it on a day-to-day basis.

The biggest benefits are POSIX compatibility and, relative to most other Linux distributions, PPAs. It also has all the expected Debian-related niceties, like BASH, APT, VIM, etc.

Ubuntu review by <span>Tony I.</span>
Tony I.

"Nicest linux distro"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is a nice linux distribution, nice interface, great performance. Nice for starting on linux world

What do you dislike?

Ubuntu sometimes get sluggish in older machines because of the intensive visual effects, if you don't have a compatible video card out of the box. Sometimes get short of server or administrative features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have old machines in your inventory and want to have up to date software on it, this is the most affordable option.

Is a desktop OS alternative for keep up date older machines without paying any software license.

Ubuntu review by <span>Kyle T.</span>
Kyle T.

"Ubuntu is a lighter alternative to Windows that helps me focus on productive activities."

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of Ubuntu is that it tends to require less computer power than Windows to operate smoothly. I've often taken old Windows laptops or computers and given them new life by installing Ubuntu. On top of that, Ubuntu still offers everything I need (chat programs, word processing, spreadsheets, Slack, Skype, etc) to be productive with work. This is also a version of Linux that is easy enough for my mom to understand.

What do you dislike?

There are rare situations when an app I want to use is not available for Linux, but they're usually not productivity apps. I have to use a specific browser (Chrome) to get Netflix to work, and games are also not widely available on the platform. Having said that, this also has the benefit of keeping me focused on work. Other than that, there are sometimes issues with getting certain devices to work (such as bluetooth-connected headphones).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some people are scared of using Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution because of the differences between these operating systems and Windows. My advice is to at least try it out for a few weeks to see if it offers any advantages for you. If you're having a lot of difficulties with Windows, it's definitely worth a shot. Also, it's free.

My desktop computer has lasted quite a long time (longer than others have in the past), and I think it's at least partially due to the fact I installed Ubuntu on it and removed Windows the day I bought it. Everything works and the computer is still quick, which is helpful in avoiding issues while I'm trying to get some work done. I remember error messages popping up on a regular basis when I was a Windows user; that kind of stuff doesn't happen for me on Ubuntu. I rarely ever have to restart the computer while I'm in the middle of something.

Ubuntu review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Ubuntu: A solid Linux Distro"

What do you like best?

I have been a fan of Linux ever since I was first introduced to it. The granularity and diverse structure allows for one of the most complete customizations of an operating system that I have ever seen.

What do you dislike?

To truly utilize any Linux distribution you have to be very experienced with the Linux operating system environment. You will have to spend a good bit of time configuring the system to get it optimized to your use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you haven't used a Linux distribution before, be prepared for some complexity.

Ubuntu makes for a great base operating system for a number of monitoring hooks, acts as a wonderfully stable web server platform, and just about any other service that does not specifically require Windows or OSX.

Ubuntu review by <span>Sean Francis N.</span>
Sean Francis N.

"Excellent operating system for your daily needs"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu being an open source operating system based on Linux is an outstanding piece of software. It gives me the tools I need to do basically anything. I have Chrome for web browsing, Blender for 3D modelling ,LibreOffice for office tasks, GIMP for art work and photo editing, and a whole lot more!

Things look different as compared from other operating systems but the common functionalities are present. In all honesty, it is a breeze to use Ubuntu and it will help you become more productive in the long run.

What do you dislike?

Design-wise, Ubuntu does look amateurish. It looks totally odd with some default icons looking a bit aged. The design aspect does not go in flow with the latest design trend. The bubble like application launchers in the Launcher looks odd compared to Windows.

The color scheme of Ubuntu can make it look weird at times. Overtime, the look of Ubuntu can make it look boring but the customization of Ubuntu makes up for this.

Sometimes, Ubuntu has a slower booting time and sometimes lags depending on the system it is running on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering to use Ubuntu, do take note that some quirks you are used to Windows will not be present. This might alienate you at first but you will get used to it overtime. Also, an i3 with 2GB RAM is enough to run Ubuntu.

Ubuntu gives us flexibility, speed, and raw power we cannot find in Windows. Ubuntu speeds up the development process as well by providing us developer tools out-of-the-box. Ubuntu with its kernel supporting a lot of devices makes its deployment to other computers an easier chore.

Ubuntu review by Internal Consultant in Accounting
Internal Consultant in Accounting

"A Disappointment"

What do you like best?

I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop & Server and anxiously installed it on one of my laptops. I hadn't true Ubuntu since the Gnome desktop was removed. I was looking forward to using it again. It installed without a hitch on a dual boot Win/Linux computer. Once the final steps were completed I downloaded some my favorite apps. That is when the problems started. Chrome installed but after logging in to get my bookmarks, etc. the browser locked up. I downloaded Ninja-IDE but it would start. Double-checking on it did nothing. I also tried to install a Remote Desktop app, but it would not startup either. Three strikes and I'm moving on.

I was so looking forward to installing Ubuntu Server and trying out the IoT OS on some hardware I recently built. Instead I will take the time to find a Desktop that supports Chrome, Remote Desktop, and other developer apps. I will look for a stable server OS and probably give Mongoose a try on my IoT ideas. Maybe I'll try Ubuntu again sometime if I don't find the perfect Desktop OS. What a disappointment though.

What do you dislike?

Applications that would run once installed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate before rolling out.

No benefits

Ubuntu review by <span>Alexander K.</span>
Alexander K.

"The easiest way to switch to Linux"

What do you like best?

This OS is really very user friendly and easy to work with.

Nice and simple install wizard will guide you through all installation process.

No drivers searching, no hardware or software problems, no crashes, no blue screens of death, just install, work and everything always be alright.

Full-featured Linux with all it's advantages.

Unix-like, posix-compliant.

What do you dislike?

Unity is not the best UI I have ever seen. It is nice and pretty, but sometimes is not very friendly to new users.

Application and packages advertisement.

Non-free packages pre-installed.

Full-featured Linux with all it's disadvantages.

Strange software center.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are choosing between Linux and non-Linux - try Ubuntu, it will break all the stereotypes of the complexity of Linux. It is very easy to start with Ubuntu while it has a lot of advanced configurations if you would like to use them.

If you are choosing between different Linux distributions - try Ubuntu and you will haven't got any problem with hardware, software, libraries, etc.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 on two my work laptops. For about 5 years with Ubuntu I have never regret that I switched to this OS. Everything that I have done in this period of time was under this operating system. After Docker appeared - usage of this OS becomes a lot easier and more comfortable.

Ubuntu review by User

"Great for people who are not familiar with GNU/Linux Distros"

What do you like best?

The best thing about any open source software is the freedom that you get from open source software. You are not tied into any proprietary software or systems.

What do you dislike?

I tend to opt for more bare bones distributions such as arch Linux. These work better if you want and know how to maintain the system properly. Ubuntu is great if you want it to "just work"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot in a virtual machine if you get a chance but bare in mind that in a virtual machine it will run more slowly than it would if installed properly

Apart from the freedom it gives, there is also cost benefits. No paid upgrades, hardware works faster and for longer.

Ubuntu review by Administrator in Computer Software

"i am using Ubuntu since 8 years"

What do you like best?

I like about about ubuntu is

- Free to use

- Its an open source

- Its secure

- Its fast compare to window because it doesn't require antivirus which consume RAM.

- There are lot of content/community on web which provide solution

What do you dislike?

- Sometime it doesn't support any specific hardware. Once I was using lenova laptop. Its wifi was not supporting but with the help of ubuntu community I overcome from the problems.

- Adobe photoshop's linux version not available, Web designer need to use either gimp or can switch to window.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is open-source, so you can access and personalize its source code. That's why most programmers (unless they code in .NET or other Windows proprietary languages) prefer Ubuntu. They're more free to customize their code.

In office I used ubuntu as operating system. Its reduce cost of infrastructure. I worked on LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL & PHP). I found ubuntu very suitable for this.

Ubuntu review by <span>Dmitry K.</span>
Dmitry K.

"Great OS for development and server build"

What do you like best?

I really like up-to-date software in official repositories. This linux distribution is the most stable one with a huge community, which provides a fast bug tracking and fixing. I also like how is easy is to set up a dev environment on ubuntu, official repos have latest versions of compilers and server software so all in nearly out-of-the box.

What do you dislike?

As all linux OSs, we still don't have any nice graphical editor like Photoshop, gimp does not make the same work, so we still have to create VMs with windows to work with software like PS. Also they should increase the amount of drivers for GPUs and make an easy way to install them

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to set up a local dev environment in web development - Ubuntu is a best choice because of its stability, reliability and amazing power of linux core.

We are using linux as development PC OS, because it gives a nice fundament for developers to work on. Easy local server setup and full control.

Ubuntu review by User

"Using Ubuntu Operating System"

What do you like best?

I am not a fan of Ubuntu, so there is nothing that I particularly prefer about Ubuntu that I can't get on a Mac or Windows machine. However, many features make it easier to use a Linux box in a way that is similar to Windows Desktop.

What do you dislike?

You have to use command line for most commands. It is more primitive than other operating systems in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using a Linux machine for its computing power but are used to Windows or Mac operating systems, Ubuntu is the way to go. It is a good mediator for new users.

I am a biomedical researcher that builds mathematical models of biological processes, and sometimes I need to use a Linux machine for its increased computing power. Benefits of Ubuntu systems are primarily increased simulation speed and not tying up my personal desktop and laptop to run simulations.

Ubuntu review by <span>Lisandro T. G.</span>
Lisandro T. G.

"lo utilizo como respaldo de un servidor bajo linux red hat"

What do you like best?

facil de instalar reconoce casi todos los controladores de los equipos, presentacion grafica casi igual a la re windows,

What do you dislike?

para instalar aplicaciones hay que hacerlo con lineas de comando, y muchas necesitan otros plug in que debes ponerte a buscar en la web, no es practico e inflexible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

La instalación es sencilla y la puedes instalar en equipos viejos, para navegar por Internet e usar procesador de texto, hojas de cálculos y presentaciones totalmente gratuito.

En aprovechado equipos viejos que están en buenas condiciones y sin gastar en licencias, ya que es totalmente gratuido, viene con openoffice para manejo de hojas de calculos, texto y presentaciones, y otros. .

Ubuntu review by <span>Anderson C.</span>
Anderson C.

"A Full Fledged Server at No Cost (...or for a few bucks)."

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is perhaps the most well-raised child of all Linux distros family which has been around for more than a decade as one of the most easy and at the same time stable desktop operating systems available now. It's LTS (long term support) versions are definitely a pick for fast setup of any on-premise server, stable and versatile.

What do you dislike?

If one could point a disadivantage in Ubuntu I think it's how a little heavy on hardware resources it may be when compared to other non-desktop distros.

Ubuntu is a perfect fit for fast setup of any kind of local network server one could need. It can perform well in small networks as firewall, name server, directory, database among dozens of roles.

Ubuntu review by User in Higher Education

"Ubuntu Review"

What do you like best?

I've been using Ubuntu often at work for the past 5 years. I really like that it has a built in GUI interface for those times where you don't want to navigate using the command line. I also like that it is compatible with almost every type of neuroimaging software that I need to use at work. I also really like that there is a lot of information available for trouble shooting. Simple internet searches typically provide an instant fix to any error that arises.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I dislike that, in order to get the most functionality out of your computer, you have to use the command line. I also dislike that there isn't a number to call in the instance of something terrible occurring like with apple or windows. 99% of the time this isn't an issue because of all of the online resources available but it may deter users who might need instant fixes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Ubuntu because it is fast and stable. Any problem that you've encountered is likely online with detailed descriptions of how to fix it. Overall, this is a great open source (and free) software; however I do recommend taking the option to donate to their cause when downloading ,

I use it to process MR data and run statistical analyses. Sometimes, but rarely, I use it to write. I also use it for internet searches because it is much faster than my regular computer. I've also used it to program stimuli for presentation at my former lab at UNLV. We tried to use windows for presentation and data collection but were unable to get the stimuli to display with millisecond precision. Thus, we had to use Ubuntu.

"review on ubuntu"

What do you like best?

1.Ubuntu is more stable.

2.You are free from Viruses so you don’t have to buy another upgrade of Norton or any other Antivirus software.

3.When you have installed Ubuntu, you don’t have to install anything else to get you started with your productivity.

What do you dislike?

1.The new Unity calculator app. The old one (ie prior to Ubuntu 10.10) was pretty much perfect. I'm sure there's a reason why it was swap for the ultra basic (and useless) one that's still provided 3 years later.

every business has serious knock-on effects in the graceful failure department. Ubuntu's Software Centre can be instructed to spit out a simple list of all the apps ("packages" in Ubuntu-speak) you've installed. Any time you need to set up a new machine or recover an old one, you simply feed the list to the package manager and it will fetch all your apps and install and configure them without any further intervention.

Ubuntu review by <span>Miguel P.</span>
Miguel P.

"Best Linux Distro for new users"

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is, all-round, a great Linux distro:

* Ubuntu's user experience for first-time users is very good: the installation procedure is straightforward, and it comes with essential software like Firefox and Libreoffice,

* Support is great, both in the official documentation and forum, and elsewhere in places like Stackoverflow and blogs. Since it's one of the most used Linux flavors out there, it's easy to find solutions to common problems online,

* Compatibility is also very good: support for Debian packages means first-class support for most software packages; PPAs help you keep software up to date in a seamless way, and Steam helps game support to grow and grow every day.

What do you dislike?

I've never liked the Unity UI since it was introduced:

* The search-as-you-type is not as good as it could be

* The way applications are stacked on the menu feels unnecessary and clumsy

* It includes Amazon search results by default, which have never been of any help. At least it can be disabled

I feel better work could be done by Canonical supporting other established Open Source projects instead of creating new ones, like what happens with Unity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like Unity (Ubuntu's UI), and don't mind taking some steps to disable things like Amazon integration, Ubuntu is clearly the best choice for a Linux distro in regards to user experience, support, and compatibility.

I have used Ubuntu as the operating system for my main machine for more than 2 years. I have used it for Software Development, office work, and entertainment, like games or movies.

* Software Development support is very good: the Linux base means most of the software I use daily has first class support (I develop mainly in Ruby)

* Libreoffice means great office document support, I've also used LaTeX for other kinds of documents

* Game support is good and growing, thanks to Wine and Steam. For movies and music, all the codecs are in place, and the players are as good as they can get.