Ubuntu

Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Work for Ubuntu?

Learning about Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Reviews

Showing 275 Ubuntu reviews
Ubuntu review by <span>Ayush M.</span>
Ayush M.

Best for Servers

Validated Review
What do you like best?

If you have a knowledge in the Linux platform, then this is one of the best OS. I had worked in Ubuntu when I was worked on the servers, Most of the servers have Ubuntu operating system, it is easy to setup. There is three or four commands which we used to setup LAMP. Even if we are talking about security, then you are also familiar with UFW which are the best security part in Ubuntu. The best thing is you no need to pay single amount in ubuntu OS.

What do you dislike?

I dislike nothing in Ubuntu. If you are the new users in Ubuntu, this is little bit tough to understand the UI of Ubuntu, but after that if you familiar with that, this is very easy to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is good for security and development sector. They save your time, easy to setup and best for the servers. They have all the repo's which you want in the development phase.

In the previous organization, we are using windows for the development. And we paid for the windows license. After that, when we implement Ubuntu, they save money because it is the free one even on the servers as well. There are lots of benefit we have realized, We don't need to take tension about security. We all know, nothing is secure on the web. But Ubuntu provide the best security. In Ubuntu, you are using commands,one of the best thing for a developer.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ubuntu
Ubuntu review by <span>Héctor B.</span>
Héctor B.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

intuitive interface, firts time i use an OS with open source was traumataizing, i was used to Windows and suddenly i dont know where is anything, everything is out of place and its pretty much a hell, i uninstall my firts open source OS. When i try Ubuntu all was soft and smoothly, they give you a nice introduction and they keep in mind that probably your new with open source OS.

What do you dislike?

The default app dowload system sometimes fail with the downloads and sometimes you have the app you want itsnt even in the store. Probably they fix this in future versions but now i dont like it. I have found it usefull when you have to dowload the most popular programs but not the less popular.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best way to learn the basis of Open Source.

In my work sometimes i have to work with Linux software and other open source OS. So Ubuntu was great for my first steeps.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Ubuntu review by <span>Marin K.</span>
Marin K.

My Ubuntu user-experience

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Ubuntu has been for me one of the most user-friendly Linux distros i have used. It has a simple interface, very easy to use and very cool features and graphics. The new versions which are based in GNOME are further more greater because the menu is accessible in a better way and the system offers much more flexibility. If you're wondering : "What about my hardware? I need drivers to install for all my inputs." Well in my whole experience all devices connected to my computer running Ubuntu connected automatically, no drivers needed.

What do you dislike?

Ubuntu in a nutshell requires a well parameter computer and it does not work well if your computer is not fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone who is trying to switch from Windows or Apple to another OS id suggest Ubuntu because it has a simple to understand environment and you can adapt very quickly.

I'm currently using Elementary OS which is based Ubuntu. I have used it to work with my designs on GIMP or Inkscape, and also to communicate on Telegram with my co-workers. And also for the usual web surfing and correspondence.

Ubuntu review by <span>Aureliano M.</span>
Aureliano M.

Linux Ubuntu Administrator

Validated Review
What do you like best?

In Ubuntu you can be writing in one window and moving up and down the content of another. For example, you can be talking by Gaim / Pidgin with a friend and reading a web page by moving it with the mouse wheel quietly. This silly thing can not be done in Windows. Windows only knows how to do one thing at a time, and you have to have the window selected (focused) if you want to scroll through it, which forces you to be changing all the time from one window to another when they speak to you (damn Alt + TAB) . In Ubuntu you can install drivers and applications quietly because it is not necessary to restart the PC to complete the installation. This is not that it is a virgin, since the 60's has been doing. I do not know why Windows forces the user to restart countless times for anything he does. It is really horrible and exasperating (and it makes you lose the tails of the eMule!).

What do you dislike?

Didactic images are missing to motivate children to use this great operating system, should include games that motivate young people to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This distribution is excellent for the implementation of PostgreSQL as a database manager, as well as a good relationship with Apache as a Web server and an important management in servers for the administration of networks such as ProxySquid and DHCP.

In my work, it was migrated to ubuntu because it is a free technology and no more prized licenses from other companies were requested, which saved money for the company in which I work, besides being easy to learn for all employees of the same company. .

Ubuntu review by <span>Angelo Q.</span>
Angelo Q.
Validated Review

There is always a good way to start

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Ubuntu comes with features that will make you forget about proprietary software, whatever your user level is; you will always find positive answers in this distribution. I have tried Ubuntu at home, at my job and the answer is always reliable. It must be clear that there must be learning on the part of the user, since the experience will be better and better as you explore the options. However, there is no need to have much prior knowledge for its use, there will always be a software purist with criticism, but it will be easy to dismiss due to the wide variety of possibilities offered by the distribution.

What do you dislike?

Far from being a negative factor, we must know that migrating to free systems requires training of personnel, time, and money. For certain work environments it can bring delays in processes, even if it is a progressive measure. On a personal level, learning can go on its own and at an appropriate pace, but when there is a responsibility involved, everything changes. I also recommend reviewing the features of our equipment, to ensure a more fluid experience, if we have low-resource teams, there are more friendly distributions than the main Ubuntu, and it would be more advisable to try one of them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The first thing u have to do, is to stop thinking about your current operating system, you will always end up looking to stay with it, I recommend starting with Ubuntu for basic things, a multimedia experience of an afternoon, and little by little adding others, with this you guarantee that your test of the Ubuntu’s characteristics, is an enriching and complete experience.

We decided to abandon proprietary software, and we moved to open source, after evaluating options we decided on Ubuntu distributions, in its basic package includes what we need from the current office tools to perform the daily work. The administrative work has been carried out without much inconvenience, except the proper training of the staff in the use of this new tool, which far from being a problem, gives experience to the workers and it can be used outside the office.

Ubuntu review by <span>Shaunak S.</span>
Shaunak S.
Validated Review

Best enterprise OS for software development

Validated Review
What do you like best?

package manager apt-get

Native support for PostgreSql database

I can use it on windows subsystem for linux

I love using it on vagrant box.

What do you dislike?

Mounting a smb or shared drive is not always easy.

When I use it on windows subsystem for linux, then I get permissions issue. Though I set proper user permission on Ubuntu, drives which are shared still use the windows permissions, instead of the changed permissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We used Ubuntu as we get a Vagrant support for it.

It makes our development environment as close to production environment as possible.

Always use the native stable packages with Ubuntu. It would make your system scale - able and easy upgrade - able when newer versions of Ubuntu are released.

If you use Ubuntu on your development, staging and production environment, then it becomes easy to manage your enterprise deployment thru continuous integrations tools like Jenkins.

Very stable. It creates a eco-system for us by providing php-apache-postgres package as a bundle.

Ubuntu has good support for Salt. Because of this deployment of our applications becomes very easy.

Thats the reason we love Ubuntu bundle for our development environment and production environment.

Learning about Ubuntu?

* We monitor all Ubuntu reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.