Ubuntu

Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Work for Ubuntu?

Learning about Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Reviews

Showing 291 Ubuntu reviews
Ubuntu review by <span>Travis G.</span>
Travis G.

Ubuntu - The friendliest version of Linux

What do you like best?

I just wanted to give a quick foreword, I'm not super proficient at Linux/Unix-like OS'es, but I have used Ubuntu Desktop and Server OS multiple times but my comfort zone is Windows. That being said, Ubuntu has by far been the best Linux Distribution for me to learn, test, and develop on. In my opinion, I feel like where Ubuntu shines is it's strong community support. If you are new to Linux or even new to computing, administrating, networking, etc... Ubuntu is probably the best place to start. The Desktop OS provides an incredibly intuitive design that allows people to get moving quickly while still allowing total systems control like a proper OS should.

For the Ubuntu Server OS variant, I personally learned almost everything I know about Linux on Ubuntu so transitioning to the Server OS was a cakewalk.

What do you dislike?

I think the largest dislike for me when learning and transitioning to Ubuntu was that the majority of OS management was performed at the terminal. In the Server version it's performed strictly at the terminal. When i was first learning my way around Linux I was having a hard time with getting SSH setup so I could log into the server remotely. I found tutorials online but they always seemed to be missing a step or two and I couldn't seem to get it to work. Finally, I asked on a Ubuntu Support forum and the community helped me get SSH setup, with an SSH keypair (certificate instead of password), and took the time to explain how SSH works in Linux. Primarily being a Windows user at that time, the entire setup and configuration was completely foreign to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a robust, yet stable Linux OS with tons of free community support then Ubuntu is the right choice for you. It seems to have some of the best hardware driver support out there so if you are installing on a computer with bluetooth of WiFi capabilities then Ubuntu will probably be the best experience with working drivers out-of-the-box.

I'm currently using Ubuntu as the OS for my development environment of a MEAN stack web app. I'm also running Ubuntu for my DevOps management node while I'm learning Ansible. (Ansible doesn't currently support Windows being a management node.) I'm running web servers with Nginx, Tomcat, Apache on them, Back-end MySQL and MongoDB databases.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ubuntu
Ubuntu review by <span>Guillermo Y.</span>
Guillermo Y.

linux with ubuntu

What do you like best?

what I like most about ubuntu is that it is one of the distributions of linux with friendly interface and easy to use, compared to other distributions of linux, it was the distribution that led me to the world of free software, and the best that a community has who works to improve it.

What do you dislike?

what disgusts me of ubuntu is that some installations have problems of starting the operating system, this problem is almost always in the root where we install the operating system and there are cases where we have to format to solve the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend ubuntu to other users to start in linux, besides there is extensive documentation and tutorials.

Ubuntu has helped me to introduce windows users to the world of linux, because it is a friendly distribution has been the door to learn linux in my work department, also in the creation of stable servers.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Ubuntu review by <span>Ayush M.</span>
Ayush M.

Best for Servers

What do you like best?

If you have a knowledge in the Linux platform, then this is one of the best OS. I had worked in Ubuntu when I was worked on the servers, Most of the servers have Ubuntu operating system, it is easy to setup. There is three or four commands which we used to setup LAMP. Even if we are talking about security, then you are also familiar with UFW which are the best security part in Ubuntu. The best thing is you no need to pay single amount in ubuntu OS.

What do you dislike?

I dislike nothing in Ubuntu. If you are the new users in Ubuntu, this is little bit tough to understand the UI of Ubuntu, but after that if you familiar with that, this is very easy to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is good for security and development sector. They save your time, easy to setup and best for the servers. They have all the repo's which you want in the development phase.

In the previous organization, we are using windows for the development. And we paid for the windows license. After that, when we implement Ubuntu, they save money because it is the free one even on the servers as well. There are lots of benefit we have realized, We don't need to take tension about security. We all know, nothing is secure on the web. But Ubuntu provide the best security. In Ubuntu, you are using commands,one of the best thing for a developer.

Ubuntu review by <span>Héctor B.</span>
Héctor B.

An easy way to introduce yourself into Open Source OS

What do you like best?

intuitive interface, firts time i use an OS with open source was traumataizing, i was used to Windows and suddenly i dont know where is anything, everything is out of place and its pretty much a hell, i uninstall my firts open source OS. When i try Ubuntu all was soft and smoothly, they give you a nice introduction and they keep in mind that probably your new with open source OS.

What do you dislike?

The default app dowload system sometimes fail with the downloads and sometimes you have the app you want itsnt even in the store. Probably they fix this in future versions but now i dont like it. I have found it usefull when you have to dowload the most popular programs but not the less popular.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best way to learn the basis of Open Source.

In my work sometimes i have to work with Linux software and other open source OS. So Ubuntu was great for my first steeps.

Ubuntu review by <span>Marin K.</span>
Marin K.

My Ubuntu user-experience

What do you like best?

Ubuntu has been for me one of the most user-friendly Linux distros i have used. It has a simple interface, very easy to use and very cool features and graphics. The new versions which are based in GNOME are further more greater because the menu is accessible in a better way and the system offers much more flexibility. If you're wondering : "What about my hardware? I need drivers to install for all my inputs." Well in my whole experience all devices connected to my computer running Ubuntu connected automatically, no drivers needed.

What do you dislike?

Ubuntu in a nutshell requires a well parameter computer and it does not work well if your computer is not fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone who is trying to switch from Windows or Apple to another OS id suggest Ubuntu because it has a simple to understand environment and you can adapt very quickly.

I'm currently using Elementary OS which is based Ubuntu. I have used it to work with my designs on GIMP or Inkscape, and also to communicate on Telegram with my co-workers. And also for the usual web surfing and correspondence.

Ubuntu review by <span>Aureliano M.</span>
Aureliano M.

Linux Ubuntu Administrator

What do you like best?

In Ubuntu you can be writing in one window and moving up and down the content of another. For example, you can be talking by Gaim / Pidgin with a friend and reading a web page by moving it with the mouse wheel quietly. This silly thing can not be done in Windows. Windows only knows how to do one thing at a time, and you have to have the window selected (focused) if you want to scroll through it, which forces you to be changing all the time from one window to another when they speak to you (damn Alt + TAB) . In Ubuntu you can install drivers and applications quietly because it is not necessary to restart the PC to complete the installation. This is not that it is a virgin, since the 60's has been doing. I do not know why Windows forces the user to restart countless times for anything he does. It is really horrible and exasperating (and it makes you lose the tails of the eMule!).

What do you dislike?

Didactic images are missing to motivate children to use this great operating system, should include games that motivate young people to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This distribution is excellent for the implementation of PostgreSQL as a database manager, as well as a good relationship with Apache as a Web server and an important management in servers for the administration of networks such as ProxySquid and DHCP.

In my work, it was migrated to ubuntu because it is a free technology and no more prized licenses from other companies were requested, which saved money for the company in which I work, besides being easy to learn for all employees of the same company. .

Learning about Ubuntu?

* We monitor all Ubuntu reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.