Ubuntu

Super-fast, easy to use and free, the Ubuntu operating system powers millions of desktops, netbooks and servers around the world.

Work for Ubuntu?

Learning about Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Reviews

Showing 303 Ubuntu reviews
Ubuntu review by <span>Olimar P.</span>
Olimar P.

Ubuntu, makes linux easier

What do you like best?

Before the arrival of Ubuntu, the use of GNU / Linux had a timid use on the part of the users, the philosophy of the project directed by Mark Shuttleworth, undoubtedly a good benevolent dictator, made the community of users expand and the large companies will not hesitate to choose this distribution as their desktop solution, saving considerable costs in licensing. For this, this dynamic philosophy of updates every 6 months contributed greatly and the flexibility to include as many peripheral drivers as possible. This same dynamism also contributed to give a great impulse to the state of distributions based on linux, which did not want to be left behind. Also in the world of servers, with its Ubuntu-Server, it has been widely accepted, including a long period of support (2023), support for state-of-the-art architectures, images for minimal installations, hardware monitoring tools and solutions for Cloud. Ubuntu has always sought to stay in the state of the art of gnu / linux distributions: it has recently taken out solutions for IoT and robotics, going through solutions for drones and industrial systems, making innovation one of its priorities. So almost for any intelligent thing there is an Ubuntu to carry.

What do you dislike?

should improve and facilitate the entry of programmers who maintain package distribution

Recommendations to others considering the product

the best gnu / linux distribution to start with this operating system

reduction of learning time of office tools by a large number of people and considerable savings in licensing costs

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ubuntu
Ubuntu review by <span>Shawn T.</span>
Shawn T.

A great Operating System with many uses.

What do you like best?

Ubuntu is an easy to use operating system. It is great for those starting out with Linux and want to get used to it. Ubuntu has a great package manager, Apt, which is loaded with great software that one might use personally or professionally. Ubuntu offers several different GUI spins, such as KDE (Kubuntu), LXDE (Lubuntu), and XFCE (Xubuntu), allowing one to use their favorite desktop environment without needing to install it manually.

What do you dislike?

While Ubuntu is easy to use, some of the packages can be outdated, such as Nginx, which can then make it difficult to use the latest software. As your options are to compile it from source or find a repository that offers the more up-to-date package. For those new to Linux based operating systems, this can be a challenge and be discouraging.

Another issue is drivers. Linux doesn't always get the drivers needed for certain pieces of hardware to work. Off brand, or even name brand, wireless cards could end up being useless as there may not be drivers for them, or the drivers may be outdated and incompatible with the current kernel version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new and just getting started with Linux, Ubuntu is a great first step in making the switch. The Ubuntu community is very active and very helpful.

We use Ubuntu for our servers as well as one our workstations. Ubuntu offers great stability and ease of upgrading to newer versions.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Ubuntu review by <span>Alfredo B.</span>
Alfredo B.

Ubuntu the facility at your fingertips. If you want to learn!!!!

What do you like best?

Ubuntu the facility at your fingertips. If you want to learn!

One easy way to describe Ubuntu is that you can write in one window and upload and download the contents of another. For example, Gaim / Pidgin can chat with one of your colleagues and at the same time you can read a web page or a book without much effort just by moving it with the mouse wheel in silence. This though it may seem silly can not be done in Windows. On the other hand it has a great point in its favor that is Windows to bring a lot of malicious software and for this free software is not very common since it allows to modify its source code to the user's taste and the needs of this. In context Ubuntu allows you to install drivers and applications without the need to restart the PC to complete the installation which is many times causing inconvenience.

What do you dislike?

This software at the development level is not highly recommended since it is more done or dedicated for end users, therefore it has many unnecessary and even heavy packages that are not easily practiced by software development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it for those people who want to learn more about the vulnerabilities of proprietary software such as Windows or Apple, the Ubuntu operating system allows them to migrate and learn more on the basis of open source. It has a simple environment to understand and can be adapted very quickly.

Today I use it to teach beginners to newbies who want to play in the world of free software to learn the basics of this type of software ... already with this notion can create an environment of inspiration for development.

Ubuntu review by <span>Travis G.</span>
Travis G.

Ubuntu - The friendliest version of Linux

What do you like best?

I just wanted to give a quick foreword, I'm not super proficient at Linux/Unix-like OS'es, but I have used Ubuntu Desktop and Server OS multiple times but my comfort zone is Windows. That being said, Ubuntu has by far been the best Linux Distribution for me to learn, test, and develop on. In my opinion, I feel like where Ubuntu shines is it's strong community support. If you are new to Linux or even new to computing, administrating, networking, etc... Ubuntu is probably the best place to start. The Desktop OS provides an incredibly intuitive design that allows people to get moving quickly while still allowing total systems control like a proper OS should.

For the Ubuntu Server OS variant, I personally learned almost everything I know about Linux on Ubuntu so transitioning to the Server OS was a cakewalk.

What do you dislike?

I think the largest dislike for me when learning and transitioning to Ubuntu was that the majority of OS management was performed at the terminal. In the Server version it's performed strictly at the terminal. When i was first learning my way around Linux I was having a hard time with getting SSH setup so I could log into the server remotely. I found tutorials online but they always seemed to be missing a step or two and I couldn't seem to get it to work. Finally, I asked on a Ubuntu Support forum and the community helped me get SSH setup, with an SSH keypair (certificate instead of password), and took the time to explain how SSH works in Linux. Primarily being a Windows user at that time, the entire setup and configuration was completely foreign to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a robust, yet stable Linux OS with tons of free community support then Ubuntu is the right choice for you. It seems to have some of the best hardware driver support out there so if you are installing on a computer with bluetooth of WiFi capabilities then Ubuntu will probably be the best experience with working drivers out-of-the-box.

I'm currently using Ubuntu as the OS for my development environment of a MEAN stack web app. I'm also running Ubuntu for my DevOps management node while I'm learning Ansible. (Ansible doesn't currently support Windows being a management node.) I'm running web servers with Nginx, Tomcat, Apache on them, Back-end MySQL and MongoDB databases.

Ubuntu review by <span>Guillermo Y.</span>
Guillermo Y.

linux with ubuntu

What do you like best?

what I like most about ubuntu is that it is one of the distributions of linux with friendly interface and easy to use, compared to other distributions of linux, it was the distribution that led me to the world of free software, and the best that a community has who works to improve it.

What do you dislike?

what disgusts me of ubuntu is that some installations have problems of starting the operating system, this problem is almost always in the root where we install the operating system and there are cases where we have to format to solve the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend ubuntu to other users to start in linux, besides there is extensive documentation and tutorials.

Ubuntu has helped me to introduce windows users to the world of linux, because it is a friendly distribution has been the door to learn linux in my work department, also in the creation of stable servers.

Ubuntu review by <span>Ayush M.</span>
Ayush M.

Best for Servers

What do you like best?

If you have a knowledge in the Linux platform, then this is one of the best OS. I had worked in Ubuntu when I was worked on the servers, Most of the servers have Ubuntu operating system, it is easy to setup. There is three or four commands which we used to setup LAMP. Even if we are talking about security, then you are also familiar with UFW which are the best security part in Ubuntu. The best thing is you no need to pay single amount in ubuntu OS.

What do you dislike?

I dislike nothing in Ubuntu. If you are the new users in Ubuntu, this is little bit tough to understand the UI of Ubuntu, but after that if you familiar with that, this is very easy to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ubuntu is good for security and development sector. They save your time, easy to setup and best for the servers. They have all the repo's which you want in the development phase.

In the previous organization, we are using windows for the development. And we paid for the windows license. After that, when we implement Ubuntu, they save money because it is the free one even on the servers as well. There are lots of benefit we have realized, We don't need to take tension about security. We all know, nothing is secure on the web. But Ubuntu provide the best security. In Ubuntu, you are using commands,one of the best thing for a developer.

Learning about Ubuntu?

* We monitor all Ubuntu reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.