UltraEdit

UltraEdit

4.8

UltraEdit is a powerful text and code editor for Windows, Mac, and Linux that supports nearly any programming language and easily handles huge (4+ GB) files. Includes (S)FTP, SSH console, powerful find/replace with Perl regex support, scripting / macros, and more.

Work for UltraEdit?

Learning about UltraEdit?

UltraEdit Reviews

Showing 803 UltraEdit reviews
UltraEdit review by Veronica P.
Veronica P.

"Ultraedit"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit es un software de edición de textos, privativo y comercial desarrollado por IDM Computer Solutions. Existe desde 1995 en el mercado, con lo cual tiene una expemrimentada carrera detrás.

Es multiplataforma y funciona sobre Windows, Linux o Mac OS X en versiones para procesadores de 32 bits y 64 bits.

Entre sus ventajas más importantes:

- Incluye un cliente FTP para acceder a servidores FTP.

- Herramientas de búsqueda de palabras y reemplazo.

- Barra de herramienta exclusiva para edición de páginas HTML.

- Gran seguridad al permitir el cifrado de archivos.

- Editor hexadecimal para archivos en binario.

- Resaltado de palabras clave mediante colores para los lenguajes C, C++, Visual Basic, HTML, Java, y Perl, que facilitan la lectura por diferentes miembros del equipo de desarrollo.

- Contador de líneas.

- Permite trabajar con varios archivos a la vez mediante pestañas.

- Incluye una caja en la barra de herramientas para buscar en internet mientras editamos.

What do you dislike?

- No permite el trabajo en línea.

- No es software libre.

- El periodo de prueba son 15 días, después hay que adquirir la licencia.

- Licencias relativamente caras (las hay de 99 y 179€

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es un editor muy completo. No tiene el encanto del sofware open source y además es de pago, pero la verdad que en el periodo de prueba lo que vemos nos esta gustando. Pruébenlo y decidan.

Lo único que en la empresa hay que meditar es si realmente merece la pena comprar la licencia de este editor existiendo otras alternativas mucho menos completas como Notepad++. Aunque bien es cierto que si adquieres la licencia incluye un programa de soporte técnico y mantenimiento anual.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about UltraEdit
UltraEdit review by john w.
john w.

"Wish i had found this software years ago"

What do you like best?

being able to use all the suite apps from ultraedit, makes work flow so much faster. no more scrolling through folders then through files hunting for code segments. the support team is very responsive. the portable version let my license go with me even when my computer doesnt. the color coding scheme provides for quick spot checking of files.

What do you dislike?

the page preview is imperfect, such as with many web builder softwares. I would like to see them have a temp file open in local browser instead. the code suggestion feature can get in the way at times. some characters auto populate the corresponding close character, where others do not. you eventually learn which ones do and dont.

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it and you'll never go back to what you were using before - especially if you try the suite. the power is in the suite of products, not just the ultraedit software alone. and the suite subscription is a fantastic price.

speed of repetitive edits throughout code has been a lifesaver. the ultrafinder tool has knocked days and weeks off projects when used with ultraedit. being able to load ultracompare from ultraedit has allowed much faster troubleshooting, and near-duplicate deployment of pages for multiple clients at once.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

UltraEdit review by Jim C.
Jim C.

"The don't call it UltraEdit for nothing - it is the last editor you'll ever need to buy."

What do you like best?

I've been using UltraEdit since 2001 and it's my favorite editor for just about any code - especially SQL, PL/SQL, JSON, and XML, among others. It can also handle just about any size file I throw at it, especially delimited flat files that sometimes range above 256MB. Its formatting abilities are hands-down the best I've found.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! This tool has everything I need, including significant examples and helpful documentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to use this everywhere, I'd consider licensing it for multiple machines. I tend to leave it around at some of my clients' sites and it can be a bit of a pain to discover that you forgot to de-install it.

What I really love is the ability to change stuff across multiple columns of data with one toggle (Alt-C). I frequently have to edit SQL statements for better formatting and when I need to do it "old school" (there are GUIs that make it easy as well), I turn to my favorite editor.

UltraEdit review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.

"UltraEdit continues to be the best!"

What do you like best?

Ease of access to all the original features, plus continued evolution of actually-useful more complex features. I am easily able to navigate parallel SQL files, locate, isolate and correct or easily merge code from one document to the other in any direction, and entirely via the keyboard (mouse is too slow!) Thank you Ultra-edit for excellent keyboard shortcut tools!

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, except that the app and its companion UltraCompare are SO feature-rich these days that I'm sure I am under-utilising them. I guess I'm asking for easy access to tutorials for a user who is neither a rank beginner nor an expert - so that I can have a first-hand shot at trying out the many features I probably don't even know are there!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you haven't tried it, you must! Very fairly priced, and has been a market leader for as long as I can remember...

Comparing branched code mostly, in my world especially very long and complex RDBMS stored procedures that have, despite attempts to encourage good use of version control and deployment practices, diverged in different environments and situations - as mentioned above, UltraEdit/UltraCompare mke it SO easy to navigate parallel SQL files, locate, isolate and correct or easily merge code from one document to the other in any direction, and entirely via the keyboard (mouse is too slow!)

UltraEdit review by Chermac R.
Chermac R.

"An UltraEdit user of over a decade (Since 2006)"

What do you like best?

I like the versatility, the customisations that have been incorporated over the years, syntax highlighting (several languages and the ability to create your own), column mode (quick and saves me some scripting), setting up executable launching and getting terminal output right within the software. I also like the UltraCompare integration and the availability on multiple platforms (I use the software on Windows, macOS, Linux and also the portable app).

What do you dislike?

The early days I disliked the cluttered UI, but this has gotten better. For the tasks that I undertake using the software I haven't found much to dislike to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While there are many text editors/IDEs out there that are free, UE brings a lot of power and versatility into one place.

I work with a lot of computational models that have text inputs and outputs only (no fancy GUIs) and UE helps with not only generating the input files and viewing the output files but also helps when I need to knock together a scripting tool.

UltraEdit review by Jose P.
Jose P.

"Good for all applications and users"

What do you like best?

Is a powerful ASCII editor that can be used in different applications, flexible and with powerful features.

The ability to open many files at the same time, in different tabs, or the ability to search and replace in a series of files, either opened or listed, makes it a very useful tool.

Integration with UltraCompare (either the free Lite versión or the Pro one) is very useful in terms of knowing differences among versions of same file.

What do you dislike?

No features are disgusting. If I must say somenthing that dislike me is in the new versión, all commands have been moved due to new ribbon interface; this is just a consequence of Microsoft policy (change everything to disturb the users [joke].

Some of the features have never been used, thu, I cannot give opinión.

Recommendations to others considering the product

These opinions are from the indicated company, in whoch I used the tool for many years.

Powerful tool for a lot of ASCII related editing. Can replace many other editors like Notepad, Notepad++. Very good support both in knowledge and response time even out of the standard update loop..

I mostly used the tool for SGML and HTML editing.

The use of several databases according to Military Specs (S2000M, MIL-STD-1388,...) is very easy to review for an experienced eye due to the capacity to open big files.

After several years it also was used to help in text translations for software providers (menú and messages transtlations as they were stored in ASCII files).

UltraEdit review by Paco G.
Paco G.

"Editor de texto muy versátil, potente y fácil de usar"

What do you like best?

Es increíble la cantidad de funciones que tiene este software. Lo uso para editar rápidamente archivos de texto. Es rápido y tiene funciones con muchas opciones para ordenar, buscar (con expresiones regulares o expresiones propietarias) y formatos de texto (modo columna). Se puede usar para editar archivos de diferentes lenguajes de programación con resaltado automático de sintaxis. Casi todas las características se pueden personalizar al gusto de cada uno. Una maravilla.

What do you dislike?

Lo único que no me gusta de UltraEdit es que la comparación de archivos no está integrada en el propio editor. La misma compañía tiene un software de comparación de archivos pero se vende por separado.

La edición de archivos grandes lleva mucho tiempo, por lo que la pantalla permanece bloqueda durante mucho tiempo. Podrían mejorarlo con algún adorno visual indicando el porcentaje cargado.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si estás buscando un potente editor de texto, éste es el indicado. Puede ayudarte a modificar, buscar, reemplazar texto fácilmente y también puede usarse como editor de código (varios lenguajes de programación compatibles) con resaltado de sintaxis de código. Es muy personalizable. Admite diferentes formatos de archivo (UTF, ASCII, etc.) y tiene pestañas para cada archivo.

Lo uso casi todos los días para editar archivos de texto sobre la marcha, para ordenar texto o para buscar y reemplazar texto. La funcionalidad de búsqueda y reemplazo es bastante potente y fácil de usar.

Edito archivos de casi un giga de tamaño. Este es el único editor que pude encontrar que era asequible y fácil de usar y que podía manejar archivos muy grandes.

UltraEdit review by Daniel W.
Daniel W.

"Improves my efficiency and accuracy constructing and editing complex configuration files"

What do you like best?

I use UE for constructing, editing and comparing complex router, switch and other network configurations. The ability to construct custom highlight rules, collapse sections and quickly navigate to a given area saves time and greatly improves my frustration coefficient.

Importing log files into UE also allows me to use the complex filtering functions available.

The program is stable, rarely, if ever, crashes or hangs.

What do you dislike?

I'd like a better dark theme and sometimes my book marks mysteriously vanish. Locking my custom highlights takes a bit of work. But these are small issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make a list of specific tasks completed in the past using other tools. Then, download the free version and work on the same or similar tasks. After purchasing, set aside time to tweak the setup, themes and so on to your liking. Also, play with the syntax highlighting editor! If you're more visual - like me - the tool greatly improves efficiency. I can jump between configuration objects just by looking for a certain color.

Improved efficiency and standardization.

UltraEdit review by Jerry K.
Jerry K.

"Best and most comprehensive editor I have ever used!"

What do you like best?

I especially love the new feature that collapses all non-matching rows when in find mode. It is so much faster than hitting F3 over and over again to jump to the next match. This also makes it easier to lines with matches because they are all together.

What do you dislike?

I've used UE for over ten years at home. The UI seemed much more compact and intuitive, especially in the toolbar. I needed to do a bit of hunting to locate some things like Hex mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This will be the last, and only, editor you will ever need. Not only does it have features to view, search, and edit files, it has templates that make it ideal for use as a development UI for many languages and environments. If you don't use UE now, you are missing out.

I mostly use UE to load huge multi GB files and search through them during data warehouse development. The features provided make formatting and searching the files very easy and fast.

UltraEdit review by Burke A.
Burke A.

"by far one of the best and most simple IDE out there"

What do you like best?

A lot more reliable than Atom, easier to use than PHP Storm or Sublime. it is definitely worth the money. I have tried almost all of the editors and IDEs out there and I keep coming back to UltraEdit and UltraStudio. Atom seems to just crash to often and is to slow. PHP Storm is OK, but leaves you wanting when working with other languages. UltraStudio is the perfect blend of performance, function and value.

What do you dislike?

I really have nothing to say about a dislike of the product. This might be cliche, but there is very little room for improvement that I can think of. Maybe making things like connecting to your Code repositories a little more point and click.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the different IDEs and Editors out there but be sure to put Ultraedit and ulatrStudio on your list. you will not be dissapointed.

At NovoLogic, we focus on creating world class applications that help organizations realize their full potential from the leadership, their employees and the organization as a whole. Our platforms help organizations measure, assert, and shape their culture through talent selection, talent management and talent optimization. Without ultraEdit and ultraStudio, our job of doing this would be a whole lot harder.

UltraEdit review by Günter H.
Günter H.

"UltraEdit saved me a lot of work"

What do you like best?

A really mighty tool that I have been using for many years which never showed any limitations.

What do you dislike?

During the usage of UltraEdit I never expierienced any problems.

I am using Ultra Edit for working with different progamming languages and HTML but also to view the content of strange systems files.

I had to change the website of my wife which meant to insert several lines of identical HTML Code in 166 files. I tried to do this with Adobe Dreamveaver but realized that it was not possible to insert several lines of code in one search and replace operation as the code had to be written with blanks an newlines. Of course, blanks and newlines are meanigless for the HTML code but you need it to structure your code. One single try with Ultra Edit did the job and I saved the horrible work to touch 166 files individually! This was really great help.

UltraEdit review by Aldo B.
Aldo B.

"Excellent text editor for microcontroller code programming"

What do you like best?

Language syntax is completely customizable so you can adapt any uncommon language to UE and get your syntax highlighted the way you like.

What do you dislike?

Language file commands and UI color customization can be difficult to first time users. Maybe the interface can be improved to be easier or better explained in help files. Default color schemes aren't beautiful and few. Add more color scheme so users could find what they preffer. The user tool could be improved to have more options to run external compilers for example have a dialog box to check/uncheck some compiler's commandline option parameters just with one click

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better editing experience and lots of functions that are not present in standard microcontroller IDEs. After you understand the interface and functions it's a shot.

Differently than most users which probably use UltraEdit for web and software editing, I use it to write source code for microcontrollers in both assembly and C language. I found easier to write code in UE than the IDEs available from microcontroller manufacturers because UE have lots of funtions for code manipulation. In time to compile my program I simply call the compiler using the User tool feature which handles the compiler's command line and parameters i chose then my .hex file is generated at once and much faster than IDE. All output messages coming from the compiler falls to the output window so I can realize what errors and warnings are generated. A feature I like so much is that I can customize the language file to fit specific microcontroller model reserved words so I get all my code ever syntax highlighted the right way. I can add or delete new words at wish. I use too for some .ini file editing in custom programs.

UltraEdit review by Glen S.
Glen S.

"Best text editor on the market!"

What do you like best?

I've used UltraEdit for 15+ years now for all my text (and binary in HEX format) needs. Converts between ASCII and Unicode, highlights syntax in a large number of languages, spell checks, multiple tabs / window controls, macro functions / custom integrations possible. It's SUPER feature rich and very FAST.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there are enough features that I haven't looked at them all yet. I feel like I am probably missing out on even more goodness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! They have a trial version, if you use a lot of text file editing, this is for you.

I have a diverse need for examining and editing lots of files. I use UE for plain text, HTML/CSS/Javascript, VB Script, Examining (and modifying) binary and partial binary files, LARGE files, small ones, etc. UE handles it extremely well. I've tried other text editors, but they can't do half of what I take for granted in UE.

UltraEdit review by Randy T.
Randy T.

"Premium Text Editor "

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is like the Bugatti of text editors in a world awash with Fords and Chevys. It does everything well, and it does a lot of everything. There are developers that cram as many features as they can into their software and end up with half-baked (and buggy) results. UltraEdit is feature-rich, and all of it is well done.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have the community like other text/code editors such as Atom, Sublime, or even Eclipse. Convincing people to purchase UltraEdit is difficult due to the price and that alternatives are free or less expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There may be other more "popular" text / code editors, but UltraEdit is under appreciated in the software development world. You won't be dissapointed.

I use it to write and edit code, and also to manipulate text and xml files. UltraEdit is so flexible that it can open just about any text-like file it feels like a Swiss Army tool. If I have to do serious editing or manipulating of code or text, I use UltraEdit.

UltraEdit review by Govi H.
Govi H.

"Best all-around editing tool out there"

What do you like best?

Probably the most-used feature is the Explorer context menu add-in. I love that I can right-click any file and open it in UE. I work with an abundance of odd data types (GIS and mining data) and many of which are plain-text. UE makes checking these files and working with them a breeze! Another great feature are the optional themes. I love being to customize software I use, and most is sorely lacking in this respect (or completely incapable).

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a feature that I dislike and there are so many features that I haven't used, I doubt there will come a day when I will add anything to such a list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation to potential/new users would be to check out the help available and dig in and try out as many features as you can. Learning is mostly by trial and error, but UE makes this a relatively easy process. Plus, if you purchase a suite, you get other great tools for a great price.

I use UE with most of my work processes and would probably spend quite a bit more time if I had to rely on some lesser tool. Modifying text files, finding and replacing text, column editing, syntax highlighting, and many other features are things that I use pretty much on a daily basis.

UltraEdit review by Ilkka K.
Ilkka K.

"UltraEdit experiences"

What do you like best?

I've been using UE for twenty years or so, and I've been happy with it from the start. Bonus is that it is being further developed all the time and once in a while it introduces some new feature, that I did not even realize I missed. UE is easy to use tool with rich set of features.

What do you dislike?

The only things that come to mind now are 1) the preferences/settings (sometimes it is hard to find a certain particular setting, which I know for a fact is somewhere there, but I do not remember where exactly), and 2) toolbar customization and settings export/import feature I am not totally happy with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Editors are a matter of taste. If you have not locked your choice, try it out.

For me it is my primary coding editor - and editor in general.

UltraEdit review by Bob M.
Bob M.

"I keep coming back"

What do you like best?

I especially like the column function plus almost all the built-in functions as I find a need for them that does not exist in other editors.

I just ferl at home and comfortable with UltraEdit.

I have used it for years and feel naked when it is not available on systems I have to use.

I try and make sure it is installed on my Mac, Ubuntu, and Windows machines

I have tried a lot of editors out there, but keep coming back to UltraEdit.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes an update breaks a function that I have gotten used to, and I have to learn how to perform the same type of function a new way, but this does not happen often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try across multiple platforms and see that production should increase because of it.

Support is fantastic, usual response has been same or next day, and their solutions work.

Just the ease of using this editor has saved me hours of frustration in performing numerous edits on programs and various texts is a comfort in itself.

Just having a familiar interface is comfortable and time saving.

Because of familiarity with this program, coding is performed much faster and basic text for letters and presentations is quicker.

UltraEdit review by Calvin L.
Calvin L.

"I use this for scripts, programming, and many others"

What do you like best?

I have used U-Edit for over 20 years. I have found it simple and versatile to use. Can do column editing among many other features I use. It's a fairly small light-weight program that does just about anything you need with regard to a text file - from programming to scripting to just plain editing. I like the added package ultra-compare when i make programming modifications and find I need to compare routines between various versions.

What do you dislike?

Having used U-Edit for over 20 years, I have nothing I really dislike about it. I hate the new "ribbons" but IDM made the interface flexible and customizeable to some extent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used this software for over 20 years and have recommended it to various colleagues and companies in various fields with mixed responses to it from great to so-so use. This package has pretty much everything you need from programming to simple text/script editing. I love the various views you can use (eg. Classic mode or ribbon mode - for the newer users). best is column editing when you need to do stuff in a spreadsheet like manner like CSV files. Reasonably priced.

Everything from programming to data management. From Fortran, to C++, to HTML and Python and just simple text editing for certain data input for certain models. We use this heavily in noise and other various modelling which require manual inputs or imported text files.

UltraEdit review by Robert H.
Robert H.

"My Go To Editor of Choice"

What do you like best?

Support

Support Forum

Smart templates

File conversions (Unix/DOS, DOS/UNIX, MAC/DOS, etc), Base 64, etc.

SFTP editing on remote servers

Ability to create custom macros to do the heavy lifting when editing large files.

Ability to create custom scripts that put my name and other header information at the top of files.

Find and replace across multiple open files.

Column editing

Regular Expressions

Run DOS commands from the editor

UltraEdit is the perfect multi-tool editor and I could go on and on...

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything to dislike about UltraEdit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an editor that can connect to Linux, UNIX, as well as edit files on Windows systems then UltraEdit is for you.

I do web developing and also system administration. UltraEdit makes it a breeze to write web code or BASH, KORN, scripts on remote Linux, UNIX servers via SFTP/FTP. I use the Windows, MAC, and Linux versions of UltraEdit depending on what I am working on. On Windows it has the ability to create custom macros to modify large text files and I can use Smart Templates to quickly insert code into a file that I am working on. Another UltraEdit feature that I like is the ability to edit a column of data and insert a sequentially numbered column at the click of a button. There are too many awesome features to list.

UltraEdit review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"UltraEdit Rocks!"

What do you like best?

I've been using IDM products for years. Not only are the products great but the customer service is excellent too. They always answer my questions, take my occasional bug report seriously, and are just nice people.

The ability to customize context highlighting is great and has allowed me to create some really useful tools.

When people tell me how good their text editor is (Notepad++, etc) I always tell them that UE is better and does more.

What do you dislike?

I can find very little to complain about with IDM. I've had complaints in the past, told them, and they fixed them!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best text editor out there. There is so much that it will do. Compare it against your favorite text editor, UE is probably better. Better than anything I've used.

Too numerous to list - everything from logging work done on projects to keeping outlines of books I am working on. UltraCompare is indispensable for comparing text files, Word docs, Excel docs, etc.

UltraEdit review by David H.
David H.

"Best text/programming editor available"

What do you like best?

The syntax highlighting is superb. I quickly and painlessly set UltraEdit up to easily distinguish my arguments, local, module & global variables and subroutines exactly the way I want to.

The ability to match a paren and select the that block of code is extremely helpful and saves untold amounts of frustration. I could go on describing all the great features I rely on but those are my top two features.

What do you dislike?

I would like more than eight word groups for syntax highlighting (10? 12? dare I say it... unlimited?) To be fair eight word groups is plenty but if I had more, I would certainly use them.

The help files could be better although any effort spent ovrhauling them would certainly be better spent on development of the product. Still...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it and take some time to dig in to what UltraEdit has to offer. The feature set and level of customizabilty is very deep. I believe every programmer/devloper can set up UltaEdit to suit their individual needs and that it will become an indispensible tool.

I do a lot of programming in AutoLISP (an internal programming language for AutoCAD) Debugging AutoLisp programming is very painful and UltraEdit is an indispensible tool for me in making this easier. Using UltraEdit also significantly reduces the amount of commenting I need to add due to all the tools I have to clarify the intent and structure of my coding.

UltraEdit review by Joe P.
Joe P.

"Best editor I've used"

What do you like best?

UE is great for all-around editing. I use it for Java, XML, HTML, SQL, random text files, and more. If I had to pick one feature as my favorite, it would be syntax highlighting & auto-indentation.

Handling of very large files comes a close second.

What do you dislike?

Tough question -- I can't really say I dislike anything. Only minor annoyance I can think of is this: when I open a large number of reports at one time, it can take a while. This is ok, but I would like to switch to something else while it's loading, however UE will come to the foreground as it loads each file, which results in me constantly switching back and forth, or just waiting till it's done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The number of features can be overwhelming. Take the time to go through it to see what's there.

Little bit of everything: mining log files, creating batch scripts, application scripts and programs, etc.

UltraEdit review by Chun Man C.
Chun Man C.

"The first software I ask for at every company"

What do you like best?

Great performance. Tons of features have been added over the years, and the user interface modernized, but it has never seemed bloated or slow. Column editing, customizable syntax highlighting, code folding, split-screen editor, RegExp search & replace in files -- it has everything I need.

UltraEdit is the first software I ask for at every company I have worked at and I recommend to all my coworkers. I have been using UltraEdit since version 6, and it is at version 25 now.

What do you dislike?

I wish the commercial license would include 2 installation instances per 1 license for 1 user. I would like to use one in MS WIndows and one in Linux, but would currently need 2 licenses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy the unlimited upgrade license. You will be using it for a long time.

Extract and transform text data (including CSV files), generate test data, editing config files for other apps.

UltraEdit review by David G.
David G.

"Powerful Text Editor with flexible features for rapid code development and testing"

What do you like best?

Column mode is the most robust of others I have tried. Split screens is another great feature that many others lack. Overall just a solid package. We have customized things so that it works great with our compiler and assembler tools

What do you dislike?

A bit bulkier than basic editors however for the feature set it is not slow at all. Not much to dislike about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial! This is an editor that is feature heavy and flexible. You can customize almost every aspect, yet it works great out of the box. There is a reason they have been in the business so long. If there are features that you would like to see they listen; don't hesitate to help them improved an already great product.

I have used Ultraedit for code development for our microprocessor family, web design and even various text editing/scripting for modifying files using their Regex. With the Macro functions, you can save time on any task. Each user in our company can tweak the editor to their preference. For common functions we can share templates. Overall Ultraedit has increased productivity.

UltraEdit review by Bret P.
Bret P.

"UltraEdit, the editor for HUGE text files"

What do you like best?

The ability to open files that Excel, Word, Notepad++ or other editors can. In my job I have to edit some huge files, trying to break them up into smaller files is time consuming and a pain. Ultraedit has no problem opening these files and it's the only editor I found with a good interface and works right every time. Support was great in helping me move the software from one PC to another and help with password recovery, they responded very quickly and I was all fixed up in no time.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the product itself, but editing big files like the files I edit takes a long time, so there is a lot of time where the screen is just locked up. Maybe if there was a %loaded or status bar, it might be helpful.

editing files nearly a gig in size. This is the only editor I could find that was affordable and easy to use, that could handle very large files.

UltraEdit review by Shelby L.
Shelby L.

"Consistently amazing product, consistently outstanding customer service"

What do you like best?

Every feature I've ever needed on every platform (mac, pc, 'nix). Fast, lightweight, macros for automation, etc., etc. And it just works. Flawlessly.

What do you dislike?

Not a big fan of the new ribbon. I feel like there are some menu items I can't find. There is probably a way to revert to the old menus but I haven't been motivated enough to seek them out. I would love an ios version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I needed to roll a license over from an old machine I could no longer access. Renee, from IDM (developer of UltraEdit), answered my email one minute later. Her response was a one-two-three that solved my problem and could not possibly have been simpler.

I have been using UltraEdit since the '90s when I first "discovered" all that it could do (including run from a single, low density 3.5' floppy). In all that time I have never had a relationship with an organization that so often surpassed my expectations, from those early days when Ian responded to emails himself, to now.

Lots of ETL and automation. Some code.

Also markdown editor for journaling.

UltraEdit review by Jim S.
Jim S.

"Wonderful Text Editor for Windows"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit easily handles files of any size, even those larger than available memory. Its ability to select by columns is invaluable in many instances. The current version is fast and smooth and very satisfying.

What do you dislike?

I wish that UltraEdit had a built-in macro language (such as one of UE's competitors has -- although as a console program it lacks the Windows elements that UE does much better) rather than relying on Javascript for automating UE commands. The ability to customize the ribbon would also be nice. I remember the good old days when programs used to let me create toolbars with my own custom selection of tools that helped me make the most efficient use of these programs. If UE had a built-in language and customizable toolbars it would be the best text editor there has EVER been. In the meantime it's still the best of the current generation of software and I enjoy it thoroughly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very hard to go wrong with UltraEdit as long as the current pricing is not a deterrent.

As a retiree I don't use UE to solve business problems.

UltraEdit review by Ray S.
Ray S.

"UltraEdit, The Ultimate Text Editor"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is a superb text editor. I've been using it since it first appeared on the market, and it's done nothing but get better and better. It has an abundance of very useful features which I use on a daily basis. If you have a text editing need, this editor is the one you should choose. I love the interface and the customer service is second to none.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about UltraEdit. I'd like some additional features which aren't there yet, but dislike... never!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is by far the best text editor on the market. It has a multiplicity of features, all of them useful. And the customer support is exemplary. I've never been more satisfied with a product in over 30 years in the pharma industry. This product has saved me thousands of hours of what would otherwise have been tedious work. I love this product!

One feature I use frequently is the Join feature. It saves me so much time. I just wish there was an Unjoin feature. The Column editing is suberb. I juse it daily. And the Find/Replace in Files... it's a lifesaver. These features literally save me hours of labor.

UltraEdit review by Sandy G.
Sandy G.

"Does it all, been a user since the 16 bit version"

What do you like best?

Simple and powerful. If it doesn't do it you can usually make it do it. I also really find that I can mess with hex files and most any other format super convenient. The new versions for me are even better since I can deal with JSON / XML with the structured viewers as well. Much more that I still don't really tap. I was also previously a Windows user, not since upgrading I have the option to run in the Linux VM's that I'm typically developing. That was my primary reason for getting off of the very old license I had since I mainly do work on Linux. I have not yet messed with the Linux version other than a quick trial, but looks and feels good.

What do you dislike?

Hmm, hard question. Maybe it's got too much stuff that sometimes can be overwhelming, otherwise not much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great editor. I works on Linux, Windows, Mac. I has so many features you will be amazed at what it can do/edit.

Edit most anything, tools to do work in most any programming language. Love JSON support.

UltraEdit review by Malcolm S.
Malcolm S.

"Great editor for any development task"

What do you like best?

It has great features that really help to speed up development, including regular expressions, column mode, scripting, and file comparison, to name a few. Its ability to easily handle very large files, unlike many other editors, has also been extremely useful. I find it to be a very intuitive editor, yet also very powerful.

What do you dislike?

One feature I would like to see added is git integration. Though, if needed, IDM does offer that in some of their other products. The cost is a little on the high side, but I think it is well worth the cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although the cost may seem a little high, UltraEdit is an incredible editor and I think it is an investment well worth the cost.

I started using UltraEdit over 10 years ago on the advice of a friend that it was a very good editor for FPGA development (VHDL and Verilog). Since then I have found it to be an incredible editor for all sorts of programming tasks, including editing assembly, C & C++, Python, HTML, Javascript, and even binary files using its built-in hex editor. Over many years of use, I have consistently found it to be a great editor to work with, very intuitive and easy to use, and capable of handling really any project.

UltraEdit review by Barry P.
Barry P.

"Absolutely the best editor I've used for decades!"

What do you like best?

I have been a loyal customer using UltraEdit for probably as long as they've been around. I've used them for programming, editing data files, manipulating large files, and programming macros to automated functions in other systems. This is by far the most powerful editor out there. I even use it in place of integrated editors in other environments where my needs aren't being met.

What do you dislike?

I haven't had any complaints about this tool since I started using it. I did spend a while re-familiarizing myself with the automation features I hadn't used for a long time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're having any difficulties finding an editor to do just the right thing, try UltraEdit out. There's no doubt it will make your job easier.

I've used this usually for programming, but on occasion, I find myself needing to manipulate various data files, and no matter the task, it's always risen to the occasion. A major benefit I found was being able to use the macro programming to automation the creation of data manipulation commands from data output.

UltraEdit review by Cat W.
Cat W.

"Affordable solution for personal or professional development needs"

What do you like best?

As a heavy XML developer, the built-in XML parsing is a huge time saver. I can very easily detect where I've gone wrong with syntax, and the error handling accurately finds where my errors are to be able to resolve them. Automatic backup of files, combined with built-in UltraCompare functionality, helps to identify what has been altered in a file without needing to go through a tedious version control system.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally when opening very large XML files, it takes a little longer to run the parse, which can cause the program to crash if you try to search for something in the file before it's finished parsing. Easy workaround is to gain a little more patience, so if this is the worst thing I can think of, that speaks pretty highly for this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

UltraEdit provides an all-in-one editing solution for development. With FTP capabilities, customized syntax highlighting, built-in access to Compare, and a host of other features, combined with being very affordable, you can't go wrong. Easy to use, and does everything you need it to, all in one program.

Because of the built-in XML parsing, it takes less time to perform validations through server calls, minimizing the traffic on the network. Plus, being able to easily identify where an error is occurring and being taken straight to it gets problems resolved quickly.

UltraEdit review by Andre G.
Andre G.

"Terrific context-sensitive editor with great flexibility"

What do you like best?

Having or being able to setup language-specific wordfiles makes using UltraEdit with just about any kind of file extremely useful and allows me to use 1 tool where I might have had to use many in the past.

What do you dislike?

There are almost too many options from which to choose when customizing the tool

Recommendations to others considering the product

My team and I have been using UltraEdit and UltraCompare for many years. I've used many different text and code editors in my career and this suite is one of my favorites. By keeping our license up to date, we are also able to take advantage of the continuing improvements.

UltraEdit gives us the ability to edit just about every kind of file easily and efficiently. Thus far we have managed NOT to have to purchase some specialty editors which were going to be very expensive.

UltraEdit review by Jim L.
Jim L.

"This is the best all-around text editor available. I use it every day to edit HTML and PHP pages."

What do you like best?

The features I like best are:

-- tag-matching, brace-matching, and parentheses-matching

-- keyboard delete of full line

-- powerful search and replace across files

-- integrated compare/diff with UltraCompare

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I can't think of anything that I dislike about UltraEdit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time going through the setup and configuration. It will be well worth your time. Especially, set up custom keyboard commands and/or discover the amazing built-in keyboard commands. These commands are in the Advanced -> Configuration -> Key Mapping section of UltraEdit.

I edit HTML and PHP files every day. The daily tasks of editing are efficient and easy with UltraEdit.

Occasionally I need to make changes to many files at the same time, which is easy with UltraEdit's amazing search and replace feature, even across many files.

I maintain and create Web sites every day and would be lost without UltraEdit.

UltraEdit review by Murray S.
Murray S.

"Trust UE"

What do you like best?

I have been using Ultra Edit and UE studio for about 12 years now.

Frankly it has been the only option if you want ot open files from the many types of platforms I have been exposed to. Particularly a former workplace that did a gradual decommision of software on it's mainframe(MVS) and critically customer data was sent in EBCDIC, so when ezyedit on the MF bit the dust this was the only show in town if I wanted to edit a file and save in the same format. indispensable for unit testing.

The search and replace options are awesome, of course you can do all this in a varity of different applications but UE is pretty much a one stop shop.

Much more but the above is about 90% of it.

What do you dislike?

Not much really, UE has gotten bigger over the years but no suprises there. I havn't broken the bounds of the data analysis capbilities these tools provide .

Mostly it is setting up data files for unit testing. Analysing customer datafiles and the like. Particulalry bigfiles in the 500Mb to 2 - 3 GB range. Some times I do some scripting, but this is mostly when I also want ot have a compare option.

UltraEdit review by Divya M.
Divya M.

"UltraEdit 32 - Review "

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is a professional text editor for Windows OS. Once your cursors or selections are where you want them to be, you can copy, cut, paste, select and delete just the same as you normally would. Capable of handling large groups of files. UltraEdit can be integrated with Java Lint, a code checker tool, and Microsoft Virtual Source Safe, a source control program. It automatically highlights the matching parenthesis. When your cursor is on a beginning parenthesis, UltraEdit highlights the matching end one, regardless of which line it’s on. That’s a troubleshooting lifesaver.

What do you dislike?

Some of the dislikes are:

UltraEdit is a professional text editor for Windows OS. Once your cursors or selections are where you want them to be, you can copy, cut, paste, select and delete just the same as you normally would. This cant be used like Notepad for opening all set of open languages like SQL, JS, Phython and VB.

2. License is little high for the set of functions available.

3. Didnt have function like auto file features for Coding languages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good one for files to process or change or to open big in size.

This UE is used in our organisation for file processing from warehouse. Business using this to open GB of files in region for testing and changing the file as required.

UltraEdit review by Stephen S.
Stephen S.

"Great Product, Great Company, Great Support!"

What do you like best?

I could write all about how I love UltraEdit features. Syntax Highlighting, Language Support, Macros, Large File Handling, and a bevy of stuff I've not used yet. You can read all about that stuff elsewhere. UltraEdit is the very best text editor I've ever used, and it just keeps getting better.

But, the main things I like are the company and support.

Back in 2000 I purchased my first UltraEdit license. In 2003 I upgraded. I started to use it at work, and had their licence to keep me updated, so I kinda fell out of maintaining my install at home. I recently needed my favorite editor again, and was going to get an upgrade. I had lost my license info, and thought it might be good to just call to get the license so I could upgrade immediately, rather than wait for the less personal means provided on the website. Destinee answered the phone and quickly found my license and reminded me that I had purchased unlimited licenses back in 2003! 10 minutes later I was up and running again. Excellence defined.

What do you dislike?

So far, I haven't figured out how to mind meld with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They make it easy enough to trial. Give it a shot. What have you got to lose?

From simple text file editing, to programming in several different languages, to finding differences in files / folders, it's gotten me through some pretty hairy situations.

The main benefits are probably keeping my own errors to a minimum, and streamlining things that could take hours into moments.

UltraEdit review by Sharon S.
Sharon S.

"Awesome Editor"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is my first stop for almost everything: FTPing, coding, data analysis. UE is a feature rich editor that enables me to do tasks in the office that the uninitiated are incapable of doing or at least unable to do with any efficiency.

I have been a UE user since 2000 and have left a trail of new users in my wake. Everyone who watches that can be done with UE want in. After 8 years at a UE site I changed jobs and it took less than the 30 days of my free trial to have the new institution on-board. At this location we have been a UE shop since 2008.

The fully customizable syntax highlighting makes coding a breeze. Word files are available from batch files to XML and everything in between . Okay maybe not "everything", but if no one has created one for your needs it's not a problem. You can easily create one. It's all stored in an readily accessible and maintainable text file. If you're using standard programming languages you will probably never need to touch the syntax highlighting file so no need to worry that it will just be another item on your to do list. IF the file you are working is not have a easily recognizable file type, switching file type to get the correct highlighting is a few clicks away.

Did I tell you can customize your tool bar? Well, you can. Because no two people work exactly the same way. I always enjoying seeing how my co-workers have selected to arrange their toolbars based on their working style. I could go on, but I"ll let the marketing folks at IDM have the honor of telling you about customizing your fonts for different tasks/modes and about how easy it is to create projects and to...

What do you dislike?

My biggest dislike, and it’s a biggy, is the lack of time to explore all of its functionality. I know I could be using it for so much more than I do but time just does not allow me to explore as much as I would like. Each time I search for one thing in the help, because I’m sure "it" must be possible; I come away with new gems of knowledge I hadn't even suspected were possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

UE is awesome! It is a great value. It wins hands down in the cost benefit analysis. We are constantly appreciating it's functionality. I feel 100% that it is a must have editor.

The column mode mode proved worth it's weight in gold (In my mind UE weighs a ton, but don't worry it's not a resource hog!) and then some in the data analysis for a system conversion. We were able to easily sort the error report to like data for ease of correction. We were able to quickly see how pervasive each type of error was. UltraEdit saved us enormous amounts of time in the analysis of each run leading up to the actual conversion. If we had had to work with more cumbersome tools we might still have not completed the conversion. (Ok there might be a slight exaggeration there, as the conversion was a few years ago, but it was certainly a sanity saver.)

UltraEdit review by Daniel H.
Daniel H.

"Best editor ever."

What do you like best?

I first found out about UE ( over ten years ago ) when working on large text files that needed various changes and I was running windows at the time. UE was the only one that was able to do it. After that I started using it for everything from taking notes to coding PHP and other languages. I've been sold on it since then.

What do you dislike?

On rare occasions UE may take longer than apps like notepad - but I don't really care about that - since I am using UE to do much more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd go for the whole suite. It just works better than anything else I've used. UltraCompare's 3 way compare has saved me so much time in managing code merging. UE is just very well written and

because of the speed of handling text through column mode (yes it is better than ALT-SHIFT), fixed and delimited formats, handling of REGEX, and just being able to get to functions quickly - I've been able to cut most tasks in half.

UltraEdit review by Siggi B.
Siggi B.

"Best editor ever"

What do you like best?

Probable my favorite feature is how easily it handles extremely large files. I often work with files measured in gigabytes and UltraEdit handles them without breaking a sweat. Regex find/replace is probably second favorite and goes hand in hand with large file handling

What do you dislike?

Hmmmm this one is much harder to answer. I can't think of anything I outright dislike. It's not perfect and there are couple of things it could do better but saying I dislike them is a bit strong. For example the way Sublime Text handles multi select is absolutely sublime. UltraEdit could take lesson from them on that, but that is the only thing I can think of that isn't absolutely perfect.

Biggest business benefit and problem solving is the large file handling. Being able to handle and manipulate large configuration and log files with such ease is huge.

UltraEdit review by Andy S.
Andy S.

"Best editing tool available"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is rock-solid and the best available programming editor out there. I've tried everything and UltraEdit and UltraCompare enable me to get my job done accurately and quickly. I recommend them to any developer or anyone who has to analyze data for a living. You can't go wrong with IDM. Their support is far above any other vendor I've dealt with.

What do you dislike?

Because I love UltraEdit and UltraCompare so much, I'd like UltraFTP and UltraFinder to be developer for Mac/Linux.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For programmers and/or data analysts, I strongly recommend IDM's products. I've been using them for years and they've never let me down. It's obvious that IDM develops its products with extreme care. In addition, their support people are always available and helpful. You can't go wrong with IDM's tools.

I'm a long-time Linux developer so I use it all day for coding and analyzing data files. I get my job done faster than if I was using another editor (I won't name names).

UltraEdit review by Luis d.
Luis d.

"If UE were human we would be married"

What do you like best?

I use UltraEdit all day every day - at work and at home. It's open on my desktop the whole day - with a dozen different documents open at the same time! That's thanks to the wonderful tabbed document display.

I use UltraEdit for a million things! From programming to sysadmin tasks to creating and editing .csv files. I've created a macro that makes kep ing trach of my work hours as simple as pressing the F5 key whenever I start and stop work on a particular project. I couldn't live without UltraEdit!

What do you dislike?

I really wish it had the functionality of a full IDE for PHP programming. I find it a bit restrictive when writing PHP code and sometimes I have to jump into Eclipse when I want to trace through tricky code or when I'm trying to decipher PHP code written by alien programmers from Mars who didn't bother to write any documentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to read any text based file, hex edit binary files, compare versions of files... you simply can't go wrong with UltraEdit.

I've been using UltraEdit for more than 17 years. I could write a book about everything I've used UltraEdit for.

UltraEdit review by Hrvoje C.
Hrvoje C.

"One of the products that will last forever"

What do you like best?

I do not remember anymore when I bought Ultraedit, but it was more than 10 years ago. At the time it was not only most advanced editor, but also most clear in setup and it had pretty much all you could imagine. What was missing, it would be added in next release. Back in a day I saw offer for lifetime license purchase and I did. Best investment ever! Years after that, I still use it on daily basis. And I always get surprised about new stuff team behind the product keeps adding in. And while at the moment you will find features you might not need, it is easy to design your own view and have all you need within single interface. Ultraedit, while editor, sometimes feels as work dashboard. Scripting and text editing inside (especially work they did with block selection back in a time) is so helpful and helps me every day to be more fast and efficient in what I do.

What do you dislike?

If I had to force some negativism (which is not) is that with years this product has grown so much that going through configuration settings is no longer so easy (should be read: quick). It does take time to set parameters you want if you start from scratch, but at the end of the day - it is worth it.

I'm mostly using it for scripting and text manipulation when I need to process blocks in columns and similar. While certain things I could also do in some other tools, as I work cross-platfom UE gives me opportunity to handle right coding of input/output and it has pretty much all in one place.

I'm happy to say that company I work for also has UE in their software inventory so it is easy for me to work my private laptop and company one still utilizing same product and workflows.

UltraEdit review by Richard R.
Richard R.

"Website Owner/Designer"

What do you like best?

The most important feature for me is *keeping code intact*. I do a lot of hand-coding and little things like empty spaces make a huge difference. I also send a lot of email auto-responses and UltraEdit allows me to control every aspect of the text. In addition, I like the help files; very thorough. Finally, the support team is spot on! After a crash, I had to rebuild my computer and all I had was old files with a version 15. I explained my situation and within minutes I had a response for downloading the latest version.

What do you dislike?

After more than five years of use, there is nothing I dislike about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. The price is right, the service is spot on, and the product is easy to use.

Email responses. In my business they have to be readable across multiple platforms. The greatest benefit is easy to use.

UltraEdit review by Scott B.
Scott B.

"UltraEdit - Amazing Software, and Even Better Support"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is hands down, bar none, simply the best file editor around for Windows, Linux and MacOS. I've used UltraEdit for almost 20 years now, and every year they come out with new features that I would gladly pay upgrade fees for, except that their licensing model is so reasonable I don't have to! That alone would be enough to recommend them, but if you ever dealt with their customer service you would know that they are second to absolutely none. Ian and company are as fanatical about customer service as their dedicated customers (read: fan base) are about their software.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a huge fan of the new ribbon interface, but even that is configurable to be turned off. At UltraEdit, the customer truly does always come first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Powerful macro capabilities

Multiple regular expression engines

Great syntax highlighting options

Flexible file manipulation capabilities

Inexpensive over the long term with Lifetime licensing

There are very few problems that I have not solved using UltraEdit. I have used it for everything from text file transformation to programming file editor.

UltraEdit review by Rob G.
Rob G.

"Best editor with the best customer service"

What do you like best?

I've been using UE for about 17 years, for everything from simple text file editing to web and desktop development. Too many times I've tried a couple of the IDEs out there, and for one reason or another -- whether it's a feature I want (or need) and have to compromise on, or infuriating instability -- I always fall back onto UltraEdit. It's rock solid, fast, and full of the important features a developer needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish UE included Git integration, but for a minimal extra expense this feature is available in UEStudio

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't let the pricing stop you; not only is it very inexpensive, it's absolutely worth every penny to have a solid project with world class support. After 17 years, the product just keeps getting better.

I can quickly fix a bug in a customer's website, getting right to the source without having an interminable wait for a "project" to load. UE doesn't get in the way of getting work (AND pleasure) done.

UltraEdit review by Mark O.
Mark O.

"UltraEdit is the most important tool for my job. "

What do you like best?

I have been using UltraEdit for years, and I don't think I'd be able to do as well as I do at my job if I didn't have UltraEdit. UltraEdit is easy to use, customizable, and really helps get the job done!

What do you dislike?

The one thing I would like to know how to improve is how to adjust the memory settings that allow me to work with larger files. Currently large files take too long to save or run search/replace. If I could tweak UE, I would be even more efficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend switching the screen background color to black or something similar. I find it easier to read the coding,

I am involved in converting XML from one data model to another, using vendors as well as doing conversions myself. UltraEdit allows me to analyze and convert XML data quickly and easily.

UltraEdit review by Chad H.
Chad H.

"Best text editor I've ever used."

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the basic interface, with the power of being able to customize macros and perform redundant tasks automatically with one keyboard click.

I can edit HUGE files and perform complex manipulation that saves me hours and hours of work. The backup on save feature has saved my butt several times when I'm using it for code when I've made a mistake, allowing me to backtrack several steps.

tl;dr Get this product.

Their customer support is just incredible. They're always responsive and friendly. In the years I've used it, I've only stumped them once or twice with extremely complex problems.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the new ribbon interface that comes with the newest versions. But I've always hated all ribbon interfaces. The Find and Replace interface is a bit clunky and requires some tweaking.

Currently I use it for programming and also for data file massaging to get things into databases.

UltraEdit review by Graham N.
Graham N.

"Consistently a great editor"

What do you like best?

I've been using UltraEdit since "at least" the turn of the century and, I think, a couple of years before that. It's a great text editor that consistently introduces new features and tunes the application so that it's always relevant and useful. If you can think of a feature that you'd like to see in a text editor, then it's likely to be there; providing it's an important thing!

What do you dislike?

Because it's a feature rich it takes a little bit of time to start up, nothing extravagant but compared to the likes of nano, or Notepad, it takes a little longer.

I'm sure the team are looking at it, but the one feature that's not there yet but would be fantastic, would be integration to multiple source code repositories. At the moment to edit a file that's in Git I have to clone the repository down, find the folder, open the file, edit, save, close and commit... it would be great to enable an integration that would (optimally) commit on save and then take the parameters to make the commit worthwhile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a full featured text editor, one that you can trust and work with for an extended period of time, UltraEdit should be on your shortlist.

I use UltraEdit to perform Code Reviews and to validate snippets of code that Development teams create. It gives me great integration with the remote sources for these files.

UltraEdit review by Kyle T.
Kyle T.

"Best of the Best for big documents"

What do you like best?

This product is phenomenal when in comes to needing to edit big documents. The ability to minimize memory usage helps the ability to fly through big documents. No more locked up computers when attempting to edit a five million line document.

What do you dislike?

The only flaw I have ever seen in this product comes when using the find and replace controls. It does not keep tabs on where it is in the process, which sometimes leading to believing the product has stalled.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation is to use the entire trial period and allow all of your employees to put it through the ringer. They often will push far beyond the limits of anything most admins would test.

We have solved the problem of being unable to edit large text documents prior to inputting into a database. In the past we would have to break up large documents into multiple smaller documents in order to edit the document for input. UltraEdit is able to find and replace upwards of 20 million characters at a time, we have not tested past that limit.

UltraEdit review by Jordan S.
Jordan S.

"Very useful text editor for everything"

What do you like best?

I like that i can change the font sizes, the line numbers and the robust find and replace feature. Everything else Ultraedit can do, is just icing on the cake! Ultraedit is so useful, i use it at least 25 times every day. I dont even need to use any office software because Ultraedit can do it all.

What do you dislike?

Figuring out regex syntax can be difficult; it would be great if there were an in-app regex generator tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be fooled by the freeware clones available; Ultraedit has more features

Editing huge multi-megabyte files that would normally freeze other text editors. I used to use Dreamweaver to edit html and php files but i don't anymore because Ultraedit does a better job of editing those files.

UltraEdit review by Catherine L.
Catherine L.

"My Favorite Editor "

What do you like best?

Ease of use and flexibility. I have tried other products and always come back to Ultra Edit. I especially appreciate the ability to customize almost everything I have been using this tool for years and it has only gotten better with each update.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike - biggest issue I have found was trying to figure out which setting is controlling a feature, however a quick look in help always does the trick.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to other editors this is feature rich and once you start using - very hard to find anything else as easy to use.

Reviewing data files to find the hidden control codes, someone has haphazardly added,

Ability to screen through several files at once to find the issue.

Creating Code and testing.

UltraEdit review by Craig R.
Craig R.

"UltraEdit to a data integration professional is like a hammer to a framing carpenter"

What do you like best?

Easy of use, tons of features, COLUMN EDITING, so many WordFiles available, SFTP client so I can use UltraEdit to manage files from all my systems and platforms.

What do you dislike?

Not having enough time to explore all of UltraEdit's features! Seriously. I'd probably be even more productive if I took some time to learn a new feature every week.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone working with data or code should have UltraEdit as a go-to tool.

As a data warehousing professional, I use UltraEdit for understanding source data. I use it as an editor for monster SQL and Python scripts. I usually have 20 or more files/tabs open at once and seem to spend a large part of my time in UltraEdit, especially when debugging code, because of how easy it is to search and edit large data sets.

UltraEdit review by Jim D.
Jim D.

"Powerful code editing - on Windows, Apple OSX, or Linux!"

What do you like best?

I'm a developer and hop from Windows to Apple's OSX, to Linux on a daily basis. I chose Ultraedit years ago because it's a powerful editing environment that works the same on all the operating systems I use. That makes me far more productive. It's fast, easily handles projects with hundreds of files to open, has powerful find/replace/macros, syntax highlighting, skinning, etc, and unique features like column mode editing. It's stable (no crashing), and reliable. Also, the support staff is helpful and responsive.

What do you dislike?

A few years back the Linux releases were lacking, but the latest releases for Linux are great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you hop between computer operating systems and need an editor that works the same on all of them - consider Ultraedit.

Learn one tool - use it on all relevant operating systems.

UltraEdit review by Tom P.
Tom P.

"Great 64 bit editing tool"

What do you like best?

The customization and profiles that I can set for different tasks that change the look of the interface based on what I am working on. There are many other reasons that I use UltraEdit suite so I suggest trying it and getting a license if you find it useful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, if I must list something its that it is a fee based program but it is rock solid stable and has support so it is well worth it to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use the UltraEdit Studio so I have ftp, compare, and finder available in one.

64 bit editing on Windows 10 means I can edit config files successfully or open any projects I need to look at for the development team and look at for quality checks.

UltraEdit review by Thomas W.
Thomas W.

"Ultra Edit is one of the best editors at all - really a Great tool "

What do you like best?

- Very fast on program start - very user friendly

- powerful tool - not exclusively for software developers

- simple commands - great shortcut usage

- no wasting time - search, find, replace

- Powerful Macro Tool

- great sarch tools in Hexfiles and Textfiles - also for File Searches itself

- great Code Folding tool

- great colour schemes

- I am using it every day

What do you dislike?

don't know what to write here ! maybe you should improve kind of Jumps between Labels between seperate files

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont't waste time with other Tools. if there'S a possibility to test this Editor - do it ! - but take your Time to test the Functions

commonly used as Programming Editor (C, Assembler, HTml, Batchfiles etc) Sometimes i use it for eliminating formating informations for text conversions.

UltraEdit review by Marcelo S.
Marcelo S.

"An Amazing Code Editor, The Best in the Class!"

What do you like best?

The UltraEdit is lighting fast: support almost any know Code language in the planet, and for the ones that is not supported you can make it compatible using the wide configurations that program provides. They have versions available to all desktop platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) and the User support is a must for newbies aside. I highly recommend UltraEdit for those work with coding, system admins that need to dig into huge log files and anyone else that needs a highly refined and mature text editor.

What do you dislike?

So far, nothing! I just recommend to improve Scripts support, but this is not an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't even think about another text editor: If you need a highly configurable text editor, stable, mature and with an excellent customer support UltraEdit is the right choice.

Faster log analysis and code inspection.

UltraEdit review by Ronald W.
Ronald W.

"This is my go-to text editor of choice."

What do you like best?

In my option, column mode editing is one of it's best features. Search/Replace in all open files is a must have. Fast Search in Files, better then Windows search by a long shot and better then Windows GREP product. I like the regular expression feature in search.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about this product. Any issue we have had has been quickly resolved by Michelle in product support. She has been great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is by far and away the best full-featured Text/Binary Editor.

We have solved a number of issues, from editing binary data to reformatting files with Search/Replace characters to make sting data more readable. I have also resolved data issues by using Binary mode to discover imbeded data that is causing problems when loading text file data.

UltraEdit review by Kirk S.
Kirk S.

"UltraEdit is indispensable"

What do you like best?

I like that UE formats EDI files such as X12 and XML. This is an absolute time saver when troubleshooting problems with files. The UltraCompare functionality is also vastly important. It does all the work when trying to determine the differences between files. As I said, this is indispensable when doing testing and the main goal is to create files that are the same.

What do you dislike?

Very little to dislike. The only drawback is that when you have such a function rich product, sometimes it is difficult to remember how to access all of the functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It is great.

I use the UE every day to help with EDI testing and troubleshooting. Using it to create test files, especially when you need to make a minor change between versions of the file, is very easy.

UltraEdit review by Anand G.
Anand G.

"The best code editor for developers"

What do you like best?

Scripting language to generate form/report codes from field list. Macro creating and editing with various functions and variables, including key movements. Key-mapping. Syntax highlight. Xml editing. And many more features which make UltraEdit a outstanding code editor and must have for developers.

Last but not least, code comparison to find changes in different version codes etc.

What do you dislike?

Ribbon menus difficult to navigate through keyboard. I like fast editing and lifting hand for mouse, now and then, is irritating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

UltraEdit is best suited for serious software developing. It has all the features required for fast and easy development.

Developing various commercial softwares application programs for clients. Developing an many programming languages with ease. UltraEdit helps me to develop software fast and easy as per my clients requirements.

UltraEdit review by Gerda N.
Gerda N.

"A very powerful and helpful tool. I use it now since almost 20 years"

What do you like best?

I like the the compare function and the column mode, the syntax highliting and the whole projectmanagement features. The macro programming you also can do so. It is really great if you have the time to read and configure it you can safe lots of time.

What do you dislike?

that iI do not know all features, which could save time. Is there a training video available?

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are are a programmer, this tool is the best you can get. It is on the market since last century and improved features and extended the power all over these years. Always it was the leading text editor.

It saves time and simplifies life. It enables very efficient working, it is fast and you are really happy with the results.

UltraEdit review by Greg K.
Greg K.

"IDM - A truly awesome company with awesome products"

What do you like best?

Best editor hands down. Great Suite of tools. Fast load times and memory utilization. The company philosophy, (Read IDM"s Full story on the site).

What do you dislike?

Had to really push hard to come up with something. I guess I'd like the IDM to automatically run and perform something like a windows update to keep me up to date since I'm an all access subscriber. But that's still a no brainier to run it manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You are going to want all the new features. Go ahead and get the all access. It's way worth it.

Memory utilization with reading large files. Fast code analysis, File compares and file finding. I was about to write my own file finder, when it hit me to see if IDM had one in the suite. Voila!

UltraEdit review by Lamodio T.
Lamodio T.

"Way more than just a Text Editor!!!"

What do you like best?

I love the search and edit functions esp. when managing large trace, debug or log files. When compared to Notepad++, TextPad or other popular editors, Ultra Edit provides the best functionality and features.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything I dislike so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The customer support staff is very responsive and efficient. They resolved my issue in no time via email.

With Ultra Edit and Ultra Compare applications we are able to streamline ability to read, edit, manage and process large system logfiles then compare other files to quickly determine line by line differences in log entries. The ability to encrypt revised log thru Ultra Edit for quick FTP or email attachment is also a big benefit.

UltraEdit review by John A.
John A.

"UltraEdit best text editor"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit (UE) allows me to quickly open and read, with context-based color coding, just about any text file, such as XML, HTML, C, C#, Python, Perl, etc. Allows me to select/edit text in column style and in hex. A minor thing, not necessarily specific to UE, is that the line containing the cursor is highlighted, making it very easy to locate that pesky cursor. Line wrap can be toggled on/off very quickly so I don't have to constantly scroll horizontally.

What do you dislike?

New features sometimes bring busy-ness (I know that's not really a word). This can be a bit annoying, but the busy-ness usually comes with a way to disable things I don't use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it.

UE has been my go-to editor for about 20 years, across a few jobs.

UltraEdit review by John P.
John P.

"I've been using UltraEdit extensively for 17 years now in my roles as a developer and BSA"

What do you like best?

Macros enable repetitive tasks with a just a few keystrokes that speed up my work. Editing large files quickly is much faster than in other tools. Quick searches in large XML files execute in a small fraction of the time that it takes Altova XMLSpy to locate the same information, so I prefer to use UE whenever possibly to save time. Toggling between hex mode and column mode allows me to navigate changes in reviewing and modifying large EDI files that would otherwise take MUCH longer in my experience with other tools. Source code editing capabilities are unmatched with this tool even when compared with some of the IDE's I've used. I am also able to use it to directly connect to servers to navigate and access files without having to use an additional desktop application.

What do you dislike?

The absence of a progress indicator when bookmarking a large block of records in very large files. The block of records in the Find popup window which I specify to book mark sometimes does not complete after I wait a while and go back into the file again -- some or no bookmarks show up. Sometimes I have to repeat the operation multiple times to bookmark all of the records that I had identified and selected in my first try.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The bundled price tag of UltraEdit and UltraCompare is less than the burn rate of one hour's work effort and you can easily justify ine one day of struggling with other tools that don't quite do the same thing. If you have a management mandate of controlling the budget, remind them of TCO - total cost of ownership, to address the losses in labor costs when having to rely on the use of other tools that just aren't as good. The cost of spinning your wheels doing something differently as a workaround easily justifies the small price for the tool. For example, in an ANSI X.12 EDI 832 part master message from a client's ERP system extract there can be over a million elements -- try finding how many data elements are missing the expected content without using something as powerful as this tool.

Data analysis, application troubleshooting, EDI integration research. Enormous time savings over performing the same work using other desktop tools.

UltraEdit review by Nidal B.
Nidal B.

"UltraEdit is a very powerful programming editor"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit loads up fast for larger files for me (1.6 million lines of code)

Technical Support is UltraFast :) within an hour sometimes

The themes included with the editor and the code sense coloring

Unix Regular Expressions Search and Replace

What do you dislike?

It's a bit pricy for an editor. I suggest to strip some features down to lower the price. I use it only for C programming, so all the bells and whistles for Java, PHP, C#, etc... are not needed for me.

It crashes once in a while with very large files when I am searching. I have not experienced this issue with the recently updated version 25.x.x. Menus are cluttered with unused commands for me, I would like to only see C language specific commands.

Recommendations to others considering the product

UltraEdit is a powerful editor with many features that make it easy to create/edit/view large programs

UltraEdit is a personal investment for me. My company picked Notepad++ for us to use.

UltraEdit review by Satu P.
Satu P.

"Great bit of software accompanied by amazing customer service"

What do you like best?

In terms of the software itself, it's very easy to use and highly customisable, with much scope. I have also had to transfer the license several times between different machines over several years and versions of Windows and each time the customer service has been fantastic. Most recently, Michelle (from IDM Computer Solutions) has been amazing - her responses were prompt and resolved the issue with no fuss - in addition it was a pleasure to deal with someone in down-to-earth manner than in IT-geek-jargon :-)

What do you dislike?

After three years of almost daily use, nothing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, powerful and customisable. And their customer service is second to none.

It is used in multiple areas of our business, from QA to development

UltraEdit review by Brad T.
Brad T.

"My editor of choice"

What do you like best?

I have been using UEdit for the last 16 years and it just keeps getting better. Originally the only editor I could find that could open and actually traverse GB size log files, it now handles so much more. I use custom highlighting for files, directly edit/load files from my unix servers, reformat xml, regex expressions, syntax highlighting, sorting, hex edit, etc, etc. I can't imagine doing my job without it.

The UEdit team is constantly improving/tweaking the product. I started on v9 16 years ago and have v25 today.

What do you dislike?

There used to be a delay when working with open network files on slow networks but this has been greatly improved in the latest version so I don't have any current pain points.

Customer log analys/coding.

UltraEdit review by Glenn L.
Glenn L.

"Fast and Efficient Large text File Editor"

What do you like best?

The speed with which Ultra Edit works with large text files - in particular the short time-to-open for very large text files and the efficient Find/Replace tools are most useful.

What do you dislike?

I do not have enough experience with Ultra Edit yet to really be able to criticize specific features, so can't offer any useful opinions on which parts of it might be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ultra Edit is a truly useful addition to your large file editing/querying toolbox and well worth the tiny price paid in terms of time saved and frustration avoided in using other, less suitable tools.

My work involves the requirement to efficiently query and manipulate large (multi-gigabyte) text format log files and XML files and having a fast and responsive text editor that doesn't freeze or consume all of the host machines resources while attempting to perform search queries is a must. Ultra Edit fits this role perfectly.

UltraEdit review by Mike B.
Mike B.

"Great code editor and company"

What do you like best?

I have been using Ultraedit regularly for over 15 years. I originally bought it for its great hex editor to view and edit binary files. Now I use it for all my text and code editing tasks.

I use it to edit JSON, XML, CSV, JavaScript, XQuery, HTML, CSV, and any other type of text file. I love that I can control the type of unicode encoding, its advanced sorting, search, replace, multi-line editing, JSON and XML hierarchy viewers, etc. I love being able to quickly load and edit huge files.

IDM regularly updates UltraEdit with great new features. Years ago I bought the lifetime license, and I am very happy with all their improvements.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislikes when I use it as intended. It is not an integrated development environment. That means it is fast and simple. It doesn't try to do everything for me. It isn't opinionated and force me to format my code in certain ways or force me to follow someone else's coding styles and standards.

Text editing

Software development

Changing Unicode encoding

Sorting

Automated Text Transforming

Batch search/replace using regular expressions across multiple files

Tracking all changes in time stamped archive files

UltraEdit review by Mark J.
Mark J.

"UltraEdit is awesome"

What do you like best?

I am a long term user. The features in UltraEdit are well thought and well designed. The product has uses and performance beyond all other editors. My use involves very large files in excess of several gigabytes and UltraEdit opens and processes these without fail.

What do you dislike?

UltraEdit is well designed and easy to use. I have no dislikes with the product.

I frequently have need to open and make edits to files that are several gigabytes in size. One of my favorite features is the ability to search and replace in files without having to open them in the editor. Also, I frequently have need and use of the "count" feature when using search.

UltraEdit review by Jeff P.
Jeff P.

"The Text Editing Powerhouse"

What do you like best?

I've used many text editing applications in the last 4 decades, but once I found UltraEdit, it became my go-to solution. I still try out other editors, but I keep coming back to UE. Having it available for Windows, Mac, and Linux is gravy. Years ago, I bought an all-platform lifetime license, and it's been worth every penny, several times over.

What do you dislike?

If there's any gripe, it's probably that the Mac and Linux versions aren't feature-matched to the Windows version. That's a very steep hill to climb, though. I've used practically every text editor out there, at one time or another: edlin, Emacs, vi/vim, BBEdit, Notepad, nano, pico, Boxer, etc.--the list is practically endless. While there have been some very good standouts over the years, UltraEdit continues to be my reliable standard. It's the editing solution I know I can trust, especially when one of the "new kids" turns out to be less spectacular than its ads make it out to be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a full-featured, rock-solid, reliable text editor, it's hard to go wrong with UltraEdit.

I tend to work in text files a lot, regardless of which business segment I'm supporting. From working with log files to writing code, keeping journal entries to drafting books--UltraEdit comes through.

UltraEdit review by Art Z.
Art Z.

"The best PC editing tool that I have ever used - I guess that's why it's called ULTRAEDIT"

What do you like best?

If you need to view files and find out information in them, this is the product for you. You can see tabs, line endings and page breaks. You can switch from ASCII to other format, such as EBCIDIC. You can see individual bytes and even see the text out to the side. This is a perfect editor for viewing the data the way you want it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I dislike about the product. I has such a wealth of features that I don't think anyone would be disappointed if they purchased the product. You want to browse using FTP to access a file, well you can.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Purchase it! It's a great tool!

As a software developer we are always viewing files we are working on. UltraEdit allows us to view and make changes. It also allows us to see multiple files side by side. Until I started development I didn't know I couldn't live without this tool

UltraEdit review by Wallace S.
Wallace S.

"Wouldn't use any other editor"

What do you like best?

Its configurability along with how it interprets different source code. There is no better find and replace in the industry, that I have found. I am a data guy and have cut and paste 1000's of lines using this and can edit it super easy. This is the best text editor around!

What do you dislike?

Overall, I don't have any dislikes as all. It is a pretty massive tool, so it just mainly takes time to configure and play with so you know how you want to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and you won't want to go back to what you were using. This is really a great way to conduct business. It configures to all languages so you can even edit traditional code in it along with your test files. I use it for so many things, even taking notes. Using regular expressions to edit your files makes thing super easy as well. I love the use of seeing hidden characters so you know if your tabs or spaces or line endings are correct. Dive in to this and you will not be disappointed.

I use it mainly for data warehouse work editing SQL, CSV, and other scripts. I sometimes build HUGE data sets and this has always made it super fast, convenient and easy. I have been using UltraEdit for over 10 years I think

UltraEdit review by 상진 .
상진 .

"There is no substitute."

What do you like best?

Well, actually I think UltraEdit is very good product.

I love Simple design, various functions, fast.

And most of all, there is no substitute.

Oh, I got it this time by registering how customer center is helpful.

What do you dislike?

Oh. This is a little difficult.

hm. well.

I think if there is college free charge it will be great. :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Well. I think this is best in window. Anything else?

I used sublime text 3 . It is too good program.

But it is just simple. It has not many functions.

Well. I think it is great in linux but if your operating system is window, I recommend UltraEdit.

I am software engineer and I always analysis source code and web html.

And UltraEdit is very helpful.

UltraEdit review by User

"UltraEdit user for almost 15 years"

What do you like best?

I first used UE for large files...and hex editing...and column mode...and find in files...and macros...sorting...compares...simple scratchpad...so flexible.

I have been using an older version for all this time, on many different computers. I just got a new computer, and my old CD failed. Found a forever license from a co-worker that no longer uses the software (previous platform), and I was able to get to the most recent. Still looking around the new version, but this new version seems similar enough that all my old friends are still here...the features I listed above...and more...

What do you dislike?

In my old version (10.10C), sometimes the line numbers along the left of the main text pane wouldn't quite be right. Not a big deal, but it was a bit annoying at times. A very minor bug, and it never impacted what I was doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I had used V10.10C for 15 years. I just got another new computer, and my old media finally failed. Making the swap to the most recent version, and looking forward to it.

Handling large files...and files with embedded characters that don't show up in other editors...macros, column mode - I use UE every day at work...and have for around 15 years...

UltraEdit review by Gaétan V.
Gaétan V.

"Costumer service "

What do you like best?

The person understood our the situation, did the research and solved the problem with genteel and diligence.

What do you dislike?

Change rules for validation over the years.

We have been using UltraEdit for more than fifteen years and we are always very happy.

Over time, we have accumulated number of license and key. The person who was managing this file left us, leaving us a file that I would simply call confus ...

Since no one wanted to take the file because we only had fragmentary information on the licenses, I had to call on UltraEdit Customer Service to try to solve this problem. I imagined the worst. (Some colleagues told me to prefer a dentist appointment ...)

But the reality has been different. The person understood the situation, did the research and solved the problem with genteel and diligence.

All this to say that in addition to having a powerful software, the customer service is excellent and friendly.

Thank you UltraEdit and a big thank you to Destinee!

UltraEdit review by Don W.
Don W.

"Best all-around text editor available, have been using it for 15+ years "

What do you like best?

Ease of use

Customizability

Syntax highlighting for almost any language you can think of

Can install on multiple computers

Tech support is VERY responsive and always helpful

Binary editor, every other popular editor I looked at does not have this

Split windows, both horizontal AND vertical, make editing in 2 places really easy

Integration with UltraCompare is a big plus

What do you dislike?

Documentation is lacking in terms of completeness and is sometimes out of date, e.g., ctrl-home and ctrl-end for moving to top and bottom of file are not documented anywhere.

Some features don't work as advertised, e.g., "Preserve case" in Replace and "Highlight all items found" doesn't reset after doing Find.

The Mac version lacks many features of the Windows version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As the title says, I have been using UE for a very long time and am a huge fan. It is hands-down the best all-around text editor available.

Source code editing is easy and efficient. Many of my fellow engineers use their old favorite text-based Linux editors and I just don't understand it. Almost every task I've wanted UE to do, it has been able to do.

UltraEdit review by User in Information Technology and Services

"As a software engineer, this is by far my favorite editor."

What do you like best?

Regex find and replace, column mode, integrated ftp editing, ssh integration, file type conversions, formatting, custom keywords and languages, very customizable and flexible. The large files are handled with grace. There's recent files, favorites, script integration.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I dislike is that references to software not installed like ultracompare is in my menu, but I was able to replace it with another menu option so it really isn't that big of a deal. This was the ONLY thing that I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a 30 day trial. You won't regret it and will likely be sold. I went with the unlimited license and have not looked back. I've been a customer since 2005.

I wouldn't say it's solving a business problem. It makes my job much easier and makes me much more effective at solving business problems. Perhaps the business problem is that there's not a good editor on developer devices on the default image.

UltraEdit review by Jeffrey H.
Jeffrey H.

"Problem Solved!"

What do you like best?

I am very impressed by both the software itself and the excellent support. I had a problem with a file today and it was resolved within an hour of contacting support. The support tech was both friendly and extremely knowledgeable and went out of his way to explain the solution to my problem so I could understand and use it again with a similar file in the future.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any complaints at the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended for both the quality of the software and the great support.

I am reformatting client data files. I just realized the true power and capabilities of the software. You can do advanced searches using regular expressions that basicially allow you to fix anything.

UltraEdit review by User

"Best editor for FEM analysts"

What do you like best?

I am an analysis engineer and I normally work with a lot of code, i.e. input for different FEM softwares.

Moreover, I have to handle huge output files. Ultraedit is the best choice to handle with different file format and data and helps me minimizing the mistakes. At first, I did not think that the choice of an editor could be so important, but now I can only recommend it to all other analysts. I also like a lot that the support answers always immediately and kindly to every request. This does not happen with other editors.

What do you dislike?

I can define only 10 file standards, I would like to have it more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it with the worst data you have, you will see the benefits immediately!

I am handling with different custom files with high transparency. Mistakes are minimized. This is really valuable for an analysis engineer. Every mistake in a input file costs thousand of euro!

UltraEdit review by Karsten S.
Karsten S.

"UltraEdit is my favorite editor since about 20 years"

What do you like best?

All features are great, so I just talk about my favorite things.

Search and Replace can be used to replace whole sentences and also special characters in many files in parallel

Ultraedit can open very big files with more than 2 GB.

You can build scripts to use within UltraEdit

You can have your favority files

It's customable to satisfy your business needs

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike - great tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest to test and compare UltraEdit with other editors by yourself! You will see how great it is.

I have started to use UltraEdit during my studies at the University of Applied Sciences in the 90s and since that time I am using and also like it. It's my daily used favorite editor.

I have administrated the website of my table tennis club with UltraEdit about 10 years. I have built an HTA based tool also using vbscript with Ultraedit

UltraEdit review by Administrator

"A text editor that does it all"

What do you like best?

the ability to customize the program and save the customization configurations, the vast number of editing tools available, the colored syntax highlighting options, built in FTP client, and the ability to use all keyboard commands and no need to reach for a mouse

What do you dislike?

a minor item for me is there's a few spots where font size can't be changed

Recommendations to others considering the product

UltraEdit offers an free trial period that allows ample time to evaluate - I'd suggest that anyone who spends any significant time in front of a computer dealing with code should run UltraEdit through the paces. I found it to be by far my text editor of choice.

this program is our go-to text editor that allows us to deal with all coding issues - the available tools in the program, and the customization options just flat out lest us work much faster.

UltraEdit review by Christina J.
Christina J.

"Best XML Editor"

What do you like best?

This has given me a lot of functionality within working with huge XML files. I am still learning how to manipulate the XML files, I feel that UltraEdit is far easier to work with then other XML editors. I like the ability to change how the data is viewed, that helps make it easier to see what you are looking at.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there was training that was offered on a business case level. So I could understand what is commonly done when trying to manipulate big XML files and how to replace words in bulk.

Exports from product information databases.

UltraEdit review by Ghislain P.
Ghislain P.

"Very versatile, powerful and easy to use text editor"

What do you like best?

The number of features in this software is incredible. I use it to quickly edit text files. It's fast and has features to sort (with many options), search (with RegEx expressions or proprietary expressions) and format text (column mode). It can be used to edit files for different programming languages with syntax highlighting. Nearly all the features can be customized to your liking as well.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about UltraEdit is the lack of integrated file comparison. The same company has a file comparison software but it is sold separately. Apart from that, there isn't anything I can think of that I dislike about this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a powerful text editor, this is the one for you. It can help you modify, search, replace text easily and can also be used as code editor (several programming languages supported) with code syntax highlighting. And it is very customizable. It supports different file formats (UTF, ASCII, etc.) and it has tabs for each files.

I use it almost every day to edit text files on the fly, to sort text or to search and replace text. The search and replace functionality is quite powerful and easy to use. It's ease of use and fast loading time, makes it my prefered text editor.

"1 editor 4 all tasks"

What do you like best?

We needed a tool that should be able to handle big files quickly and we bought a version 7.xx of UE a long time - maybe 15 years - ago delivered on a 3,5'' floppy disk. UE was able to deal with large files, searching was fast and replacing text with regular expressions worked like charme. We could even use Syntzax highlighting for different programming languages. A 3,5'' floppy disk was enough to hold the whole program with some plugins.

This is something that changed - UE has grown to 100MB now, but everything else is still the same. We can edit large ( some GB ), search and replace data with regexps quickly und we can use UE for differnet programming languages.

So we are still doing some of our work in the same wayx, we did 15 years ago. The files are different in size and structure - but the tool is stil the same.

Happy 25th birthday UE :-)

What do you dislike?

There is not much, I dislike about UE ... bit the "new" menus ribbons are still not my friends and I prefer the old fashioned standard menu entries! The enterprise version is coming out always a bit late ...after the regular version, which is a high level complaint :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a kind a rock solid business approved editor with a huge number of features which are evolved further continuously ... UE is a product you should consider. Try it, buy it if you like it and I think that you may never by sorry for having this tool in your box! the support at IDM is really great and the price is something that I would rate as "Ok for business use"

For personal use there might be free alternatives which work fine even for free.

We are editing large files, preferrably XML. The XML editing features are great. And our JSON files will be handled in a similar manner, I suppose in future versions. We are (mis)using UE for replacing text in a large number of files on disk too.

UltraEdit review by P A.
P A.

"Excellent product."

What do you like best?

I've used UE for many years and to be honest there isn't a better or more comprehensive editor available. It's value for money is excellent. Everything in the IDE is appropriate and relevant. You might pay more for other editors but you won't get what UE can do; it really is that good. Their after sales support is very good indeed. Where I've had to contact them they've stayed stuck to my issue and worked with me to explain things. These aren't always problems I've had with the product, rather exploring ways to do things my blinkered eyes aren't seeing. There really isn't anything not to like. I've possibly used UE for around 20 of the 25 years they're celebrating.

What do you dislike?

I really can't fault this exceptional product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has an evaluation period and I'm sure once you use it you'll have no problem justifying buying a licence.

UE handles every big file I've thrown at it. I've had to edit substantially large files Excel-like and log files and UE edits them without problems. I do a lot of text replacement on occasions and where I do shoot-from-the-hip code replacements it's language highlighting enhances the experience.

UltraEdit review by Imran V.
Imran V.

"Extremely Powerful All-In-One Text Editor"

What do you like best?

I've been using Ultra Edit close to 8 years now spanning multiple jobs, and it's always my go to text editor! I deal a lot with very large data files and Ultra Edit is by far the best at handling large data sets. The UI is is very intuitive. I really like the fact I can do a RegEx find & replace across multiple files in a directory. I've bought licenses multiple times for not only myself but also for my teams.

What do you dislike?

License management can be a bit improved but the current license portal is certainly usable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ultra Edit really is the best text editor in the market and is worth every penny! Sure you can use some of free text editors available, but they are not as powerful nor will you get the fantastic support provided by Ultra Edit's team.

I tend to work with very large text files (2-10GB) and all other text editors have choked when handling that much data, but Ultra Edit handles this very well.

UltraEdit review by Gregory S.
Gregory S.

"Indispensable tool"

What do you like best?

I use this tool everyday for basic programming. It's a nice alternative to bloated IDE's while still providing a wealth of features and the ability to customize it to my work style.

What do you dislike?

The integration of window management and keyboard commands is sometimes a bit clunky. I am a heavy keyboard user and find that my fast typing of keyboard commands sometimes conflicts with options in windows that are still active. However, generally I can get around this thanks to the ability to customize the keyboards commands within the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Full-featured trial allows ample time for evaluation. The support staff is very responsive both via email and on their web site even to evaluation users. I recently reported some minor bugs during evaluation and my input was not only welcomed, but a patch was made available for me to test within a day.

I use this app for programming, simple note taking and log viewing. It's lightweight and reliable.

UltraEdit review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Old timer"

What do you like best?

UltraEdit just gets better and better. I have used UE now for almost 20 years and it just love it. A few times I have tried other editors (mainly the free ones), but keep coming back to UE. Occasionally I need to edit UTF16 files and some other editors can't handle that. I particularly like the aids to help navigate around long lists of code such as code-folding, and function view.

What do you dislike?

Not much to say here. The menu structure seems to move around a bit every few years, which just takes a little while to learn

In my professional life I have spent a lot of time taking actuarial calculators, written in Excel, and reworking them for use in a browser. This requires back-tracking through Excel formula to work out how the answer is achieved, documenting this, then creating the same calculations in java (or PHP). UltraEdit is a great tool for this as I can use code folding to list each step and get a high-level picture of what I need to achieve. then dive down into the detail.