UltraEdit

UltraEdit is a powerful text and code editor for Windows, Mac, and Linux that supports nearly any programming language and easily handles huge (4+ GB) files. Includes (S)FTP, SSH console, powerful find/replace with Perl regex support, scripting / macros, and more.

Work for UltraEdit?

Learning about UltraEdit?

UltraEdit Reviews

Showing 500 UltraEdit reviews
UltraEdit review by <span>Daniel H.</span>
Daniel H.

Best editor ever.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I first found out about UE ( over ten years ago ) when working on large text files that needed various changes and I was running windows at the time. UE was the only one that was able to do it. After that I started using it for everything from taking notes to coding PHP and other languages. I've been sold on it since then.

What do you dislike?

On rare occasions UE may take longer than apps like notepad - but I don't really care about that - since I am using UE to do much more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd go for the whole suite. It just works better than anything else I've used. UltraCompare's 3 way compare has saved me so much time in managing code merging. UE is just very well written and

because of the speed of handling text through column mode (yes it is better than ALT-SHIFT), fixed and delimited formats, handling of REGEX, and just being able to get to functions quickly - I've been able to cut most tasks in half.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about UltraEdit
UltraEdit review by <span>Andy S.</span>
Andy S.

Best editing tool available

What do you like best?

UltraEdit is rock-solid and the best available programming editor out there. I've tried everything and UltraEdit and UltraCompare enable me to get my job done accurately and quickly. I recommend them to any developer or anyone who has to analyze data for a living. You can't go wrong with IDM. Their support is far above any other vendor I've dealt with.

What do you dislike?

Because I love UltraEdit and UltraCompare so much, I'd like UltraFTP and UltraFinder to be developer for Mac/Linux.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For programmers and/or data analysts, I strongly recommend IDM's products. I've been using them for years and they've never let me down. It's obvious that IDM develops its products with extreme care. In addition, their support people are always available and helpful. You can't go wrong with IDM's tools.

I'm a long-time Linux developer so I use it all day for coding and analyzing data files. I get my job done faster than if I was using another editor (I won't name names).

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

UltraEdit review by <span>Luis d.</span>
Luis d.
Validated Review

If UE were human we would be married

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I use UltraEdit all day every day - at work and at home. It's open on my desktop the whole day - with a dozen different documents open at the same time! That's thanks to the wonderful tabbed document display.

I use UltraEdit for a million things! From programming to sysadmin tasks to creating and editing .csv files. I've created a macro that makes kep ing trach of my work hours as simple as pressing the F5 key whenever I start and stop work on a particular project. I couldn't live without UltraEdit!

What do you dislike?

I really wish it had the functionality of a full IDE for PHP programming. I find it a bit restrictive when writing PHP code and sometimes I have to jump into Eclipse when I want to trace through tricky code or when I'm trying to decipher PHP code written by alien programmers from Mars who didn't bother to write any documentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to read any text based file, hex edit binary files, compare versions of files... you simply can't go wrong with UltraEdit.

I've been using UltraEdit for more than 17 years. I could write a book about everything I've used UltraEdit for.

UltraEdit review by <span>Richard R.</span>
Richard R.

Website Owner/Designer

What do you like best?

The most important feature for me is *keeping code intact*. I do a lot of hand-coding and little things like empty spaces make a huge difference. I also send a lot of email auto-responses and UltraEdit allows me to control every aspect of the text. In addition, I like the help files; very thorough. Finally, the support team is spot on! After a crash, I had to rebuild my computer and all I had was old files with a version 15. I explained my situation and within minutes I had a response for downloading the latest version.

What do you dislike?

After more than five years of use, there is nothing I dislike about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. The price is right, the service is spot on, and the product is easy to use.

Email responses. In my business they have to be readable across multiple platforms. The greatest benefit is easy to use.

UltraEdit review by <span>Rob G.</span>
Rob G.
Validated Review

Best editor with the best customer service

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I've been using UE for about 17 years, for everything from simple text file editing to web and desktop development. Too many times I've tried a couple of the IDEs out there, and for one reason or another -- whether it's a feature I want (or need) and have to compromise on, or infuriating instability -- I always fall back onto UltraEdit. It's rock solid, fast, and full of the important features a developer needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish UE included Git integration, but for a minimal extra expense this feature is available in UEStudio

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't let the pricing stop you; not only is it very inexpensive, it's absolutely worth every penny to have a solid project with world class support. After 17 years, the product just keeps getting better.

I can quickly fix a bug in a customer's website, getting right to the source without having an interminable wait for a "project" to load. UE doesn't get in the way of getting work (AND pleasure) done.

UltraEdit review by <span>Chad H.</span>
Chad H.
Validated Review

Best text editor I've ever used.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the basic interface, with the power of being able to customize macros and perform redundant tasks automatically with one keyboard click.

I can edit HUGE files and perform complex manipulation that saves me hours and hours of work. The backup on save feature has saved my butt several times when I'm using it for code when I've made a mistake, allowing me to backtrack several steps.

tl;dr Get this product.

Their customer support is just incredible. They're always responsive and friendly. In the years I've used it, I've only stumped them once or twice with extremely complex problems.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the new ribbon interface that comes with the newest versions. But I've always hated all ribbon interfaces. The Find and Replace interface is a bit clunky and requires some tweaking.

Currently I use it for programming and also for data file massaging to get things into databases.

Learn more about UltraEdit

UltraEdit Videos

UltraEdit Downloads

Learning about UltraEdit?

* We monitor all UltraEdit reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.