UltraEdit

UltraEdit is a powerful text and code editor for Windows, Mac, and Linux that supports nearly any programming language and easily handles huge (4+ GB) files. Includes (S)FTP, SSH console, powerful find/replace with Perl regex support, scripting / macros, and more.

Work for UltraEdit?

Learning about UltraEdit?

UltraEdit Reviews

Showing 646 UltraEdit reviews
UltraEdit review by <span>Bob M.</span>
Bob M.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

I keep coming back

What do you like best?

I especially like the column function plus almost all the built-in functions as I find a need for them that does not exist in other editors.

I just ferl at home and comfortable with UltraEdit.

I have used it for years and feel naked when it is not available on systems I have to use.

I try and make sure it is installed on my Mac, Ubuntu, and Windows machines

I have tried a lot of editors out there, but keep coming back to UltraEdit.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes an update breaks a function that I have gotten used to, and I have to learn how to perform the same type of function a new way, but this does not happen often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try across multiple platforms and see that production should increase because of it.

Support is fantastic, usual response has been same or next day, and their solutions work.

Just the ease of using this editor has saved me hours of frustration in performing numerous edits on programs and various texts is a comfort in itself.

Just having a familiar interface is comfortable and time saving.

Because of familiarity with this program, coding is performed much faster and basic text for letters and presentations is quicker.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about UltraEdit
UltraEdit review by <span>Calvin L.</span>
Calvin L.

I use this for scripts, programming, and many others

What do you like best?

I have used U-Edit for over 20 years. I have found it simple and versatile to use. Can do column editing among many other features I use. It's a fairly small light-weight program that does just about anything you need with regard to a text file - from programming to scripting to just plain editing. I like the added package ultra-compare when i make programming modifications and find I need to compare routines between various versions.

What do you dislike?

Having used U-Edit for over 20 years, I have nothing I really dislike about it. I hate the new "ribbons" but IDM made the interface flexible and customizeable to some extent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used this software for over 20 years and have recommended it to various colleagues and companies in various fields with mixed responses to it from great to so-so use. This package has pretty much everything you need from programming to simple text/script editing. I love the various views you can use (eg. Classic mode or ribbon mode - for the newer users). best is column editing when you need to do stuff in a spreadsheet like manner like CSV files. Reasonably priced.

Everything from programming to data management. From Fortran, to C++, to HTML and Python and just simple text editing for certain data input for certain models. We use this heavily in noise and other various modelling which require manual inputs or imported text files.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

UltraEdit review by <span>Michael K.</span>
Michael K.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

UltraEdit Rocks!

What do you like best?

I've been using IDM products for years. Not only are the products great but the customer service is excellent too. They always answer my questions, take my occasional bug report seriously, and are just nice people.

The ability to customize context highlighting is great and has allowed me to create some really useful tools.

When people tell me how good their text editor is (Notepad++, etc) I always tell them that UE is better and does more.

What do you dislike?

I can find very little to complain about with IDM. I've had complaints in the past, told them, and they fixed them!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best text editor out there. There is so much that it will do. Compare it against your favorite text editor, UE is probably better. Better than anything I've used.

Too numerous to list - everything from logging work done on projects to keeping outlines of books I am working on. UltraCompare is indispensable for comparing text files, Word docs, Excel docs, etc.

UltraEdit review by <span>David H.</span>
David H.

Best text/programming editor available

What do you like best?

The syntax highlighting is superb. I quickly and painlessly set UltraEdit up to easily distinguish my arguments, local, module & global variables and subroutines exactly the way I want to.

The ability to match a paren and select the that block of code is extremely helpful and saves untold amounts of frustration. I could go on describing all the great features I rely on but those are my top two features.

What do you dislike?

I would like more than eight word groups for syntax highlighting (10? 12? dare I say it... unlimited?) To be fair eight word groups is plenty but if I had more, I would certainly use them.

The help files could be better although any effort spent ovrhauling them would certainly be better spent on development of the product. Still...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it and take some time to dig in to what UltraEdit has to offer. The feature set and level of customizabilty is very deep. I believe every programmer/devloper can set up UltaEdit to suit their individual needs and that it will become an indispensible tool.

I do a lot of programming in AutoLISP (an internal programming language for AutoCAD) Debugging AutoLisp programming is very painful and UltraEdit is an indispensible tool for me in making this easier. Using UltraEdit also significantly reduces the amount of commenting I need to add due to all the tools I have to clarify the intent and structure of my coding.

UltraEdit review by <span>Jose P.</span>
Jose P.
Invitation from the software vendor

Good for all applications and users

What do you like best?

Is a powerful ASCII editor that can be used in different applications, flexible and with powerful features.

The ability to open many files at the same time, in different tabs, or the ability to search and replace in a series of files, either opened or listed, makes it a very useful tool.

Integration with UltraCompare (either the free Lite versión or the Pro one) is very useful in terms of knowing differences among versions of same file.

What do you dislike?

No features are disgusting. If I must say somenthing that dislike me is in the new versión, all commands have been moved due to new ribbon interface; this is just a consequence of Microsoft policy (change everything to disturb the users [joke].

Some of the features have never been used, thu, I cannot give opinión.

Recommendations to others considering the product

These opinions are from the indicated company, in whoch I used the tool for many years.

Powerful tool for a lot of ASCII related editing. Can replace many other editors like Notepad, Notepad++. Very good support both in knowledge and response time even out of the standard update loop..

I mostly used the tool for SGML and HTML editing.

The use of several databases according to Military Specs (S2000M, MIL-STD-1388,...) is very easy to review for an experienced eye due to the capacity to open big files.

After several years it also was used to help in text translations for software providers (menú and messages transtlations as they were stored in ASCII files).

UltraEdit review by <span>David G.</span>
David G.

Powerful Text Editor with flexible features for rapid code development and testing

What do you like best?

Column mode is the most robust of others I have tried. Split screens is another great feature that many others lack. Overall just a solid package. We have customized things so that it works great with our compiler and assembler tools

What do you dislike?

A bit bulkier than basic editors however for the feature set it is not slow at all. Not much to dislike about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial! This is an editor that is feature heavy and flexible. You can customize almost every aspect, yet it works great out of the box. There is a reason they have been in the business so long. If there are features that you would like to see they listen; don't hesitate to help them improved an already great product.

I have used Ultraedit for code development for our microprocessor family, web design and even various text editing/scripting for modifying files using their Regex. With the Macro functions, you can save time on any task. Each user in our company can tweak the editor to their preference. For common functions we can share templates. Overall Ultraedit has increased productivity.

Learn more about UltraEdit

UltraEdit Videos

UltraEdit Downloads

Learning about UltraEdit?

* We monitor all UltraEdit reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.