Unitrends

Protects by bridging virtual, physical, and cloud. Unitrends has provided next-generation enterprise-class data protection to thousands of customers.

Work for Unitrends?

Showing 97 Unitrends reviews
Unitrends review by <span>Lee E.</span>
Lee E.

Pricey But Generally Worth It

What do you like best?

+After you iron out those startup kinks it can generally be left to run itself, just set up some outlook rules to flag any failure reports.

+Lots of regular reporting.

+Automated backup testing with robust options. (Love this.)

+Ability to self-host Agent-based backups in an emergency.

+Friendly support personnel, everyone I've talked to so far has been very customer satisfaction focused.

What do you dislike?

+As of this time (03/2018) the sensitivity of the ransomware detection, which is a nice feature in concept, is a global setting. As such I get false positives on some machines due to the nature of their workload but if I decrease the sensitivity to get rid of those false positives I'm also decreasing the sensitivity for machines where high sensitivity is desirable.

+Pricing is, at its heart, fairly competitive for the market, it was a hefty ding for us though, and you do pay a bit of a premium for having "one throat to choke".

+It would be nice if, in the event of unexpected growth, we could expand the system by simply buying another system and tying them together or upgrading the drives. As it stands, versioning can be offloaded, which is good, but beyond that you just need to buy another unit and admin it separately or buy big enough to swap out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know Veeam is the darling of the backup world right now and I think it definitely has its place, I don't know how it might compare to Unitrend's software only option running on a system. But if you don't want or have time to put something together from pieces and you want to know that a support issue will begin and end at the same phone number, I think Unitrends is the way to go. I haven't tried ti yet but I also think DRaaS has potential.

Local backup, remote backup, disaster recovery, and backup testing are all key features that we are using to benefit our company, before Unitrends we only had remote backup and manual backup testing. If a system went down we would have to wait while the backup was downloaded from the remote server and while we never had any trouble with bad backups, I respect the adage, "The backup you haven't tested is no backup at all." so I'm very happy to have our backups being automatically tested so that we can have the peace of mind, knowing they are good, without burning time on manual testing.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Unitrends
Unitrends review by <span>Brent Q.</span>
Brent Q.

Physical Appliance or Virtual Appliance

What do you like best?

Used both physical and virtual appliances (PHD Virtual) and both are rich in features and capabilities. Backup and recovery of physical or virtual environment or both together. Love the fact that while backups have failed from time to time but never had a recovery fail and isn't what this is really about!

What do you dislike?

Physical appliance costs, the UI which was flash based (since moved to HTML5), and an architectural design with backend API and frontend web server passing commands. They use a lot of open source components and while not a security risk they often show up as such when scanned but since the flaw is not exploitable they do not fix it but wait for open source community to address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the physical appliances only if you need something to exist off main storage arrays. There are other ways to achieve this same goal, but that is the primary reason to look, otherwise stick to virtual appliance options.

It is backup and recovery, so problem solved is not losing data that is needed despite actions of users. Getting back files representing work that would have to be redone otherwise so benefit is work hours for employee's.

What Backup solution do you use?

Unitrends review by <span>Steven F.</span>
Steven F.

Unitrends - Just works - Good Licencing Options

What do you like best?

I love when you buy an appliance that you don't have to worry about individual server licences... only limited to the space on your appliance. Support is always there to help. Our local company that sells Unitrends offers training every so often, so really nice to talk to others and learn best practices. Networking with out users of the products really helps feel better about the product.

What do you dislike?

Come out with updated hardware a little faster. We are on the 3 year free hardware replacement. Hoped to get updated equipment, but will be getting exact same hardware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Support has always been there when I need them. It has served me well through 2 appliances I have purchased from them.

It can backup any platform needed so far via VMware or Physical server. Being able to backup legacy operating systems is key. We have some old system we are unable to update, but are still need to rely on. It has saved me a when our phone system went down. They even had added a feature that was automatically turned on that saved use loosing more data.

Unitrends review by <span>Kristian H. L.</span>
Kristian H. L.
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

The swiss army knife of backup

What do you like best?

I can make this solution fit any backup need and it is still simple to operate and manage.

Regardless if I need to have off-site copies, want to have validated and testet backups, need wan optimized replication, if I need a virtual or physical appliance or want to deploy as software.

What do you dislike?

The new UI does not yet have feature parity with the old UI, however this is obviously being worked on.

Unfortunetely the new UI also has a few quirks like initial date needs to be changed through datepicker, since the initial format is wrong.

In the meantime you can fallback to the old UI.

The old UI was also good, but used flash which hurts it a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have the flexibility and capability of IBM Spectrum Protect (TSM) with an interface which is even easier then Veeam.

Complete backup and disaster recovery solution, which can support compliance, and any backup need in one product with enough simplicity that you do not need a phd. to support or manage the product.

So complete recovery assurance, compliance verification and simplification.

Lots of saved time due to the ease of use in the product so I do not need to spend so much time managing a backup solution.

Unitrends review by <span>John P.</span>
John P.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

UniTrends Enterprise Backup Standard virtual appliances

What do you like best?

Once the software is setup, it is very reliable and consistent. I don't worry about the backups themselves - just the procedures and policy associated with DR if that is the situation. File recovery is quick enough and full recovery is quick as well.

What do you dislike?

I dislike having to switch between the modern UI and the legacy interface for completing any tasks that aren't possible in the current UI. In this regard only, the software seems slightly under cooked. I'd also like to see the software work with lower screen resolutions. I had to replace an old 19" flat panel because the UI doesn't scale down to 1024x786.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be absolutely certain you plan your storage setup. UniTrends addresses a pool of storage. In other words, if adding 5 iSCSI connected LUNs, once added and made accessible to UniTrends, all 5 LUNs are written across by UniTrends. In other words, if you lose a connection at any time, you are highly likely to corrupt the backup database - completely. This has implications of course when trying to reclaim storage if you overspec'd the amount of storage dedicated to the appliance. Once 'absorbed' by UniTrends, the storage belongs to UniTrends.

This is one of several good reasons to use the Backup Copy feature - have a complete copy of your backups sent to another device - just in case.

We have replaced 3 competitors of varying complexity with UniTrends simple to use solution. We needed to do this cost-effectively and UniTrends was capable and cost-effective enough for us to eliminate the other software (Veeam - nice product but expensive, DoubleTake, and Veritas Backup Exec). UniTrends does not necessarily do everything those 3 products are capable of but we decided it was time to reduce the complexity and reviewed our recovery requirements. We found that the 'specialized' features of the 3 solutions were of little to no use to us any today.

Unitrends review by <span>Tom L.</span>
Tom L.
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

Great customer support and very flexible service offerings

What do you like best?

Customer support has been a lifesaver for my implementation. My wife and I both run small, home-based consulting businesses and have critical files we need backed up and available. Even though I only have workstations (PCs and Laptops), my systems are no less critical to my business that the full SAN and server infrastructure I used to support in a major data center. I have tried several other backup options (NAS, shared drives, etc) and researched cloud offerings, but Unitrends provides a reasonable priced offering that mixes local and cloud-based backup solutions. I also like that they provide a "bare-metal recovery" service at not additional charge, which is very value-added for my situation. I have had two workstation failures that I was able to recover my important files, but having the full system backup would have allowed for a much quicker restoration.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if they had more documentation around smaller business needs, like mine, for implementation. The slight differences between workstations and servers created a few challenges, which were easily overcome by working with customer support, but most could have been avoided with some targeted documentation. This maybe unique to my situation, and maybe I am the only one with this type of implementation, but there may be a bigger market in the small, home-based business.

Also, I had some challenges with getting a cabinet to mount the appliance. Being home-based, I didn't have a place for a full sized server cabinet, but found the half depth networking cabinets too shallow. Again, may be unique to my situation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unitrends is a great solution for businesses of all sizes. Don't discount Unitrends because you think you are too small - they are reasonably priced and have a great engineering and technical support staff to get you up and running quickly.

I have all of the "systems" (i.e., workstations) that are critical to three businesses backup up to a reliable and robust service. Fortunately, I have not had to exercise a full recovery yet, but have great peace of mind knowing I can restore when needed.

Learning about Unitrends?

* We monitor all Unitrends reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.