Unitrends

Protects by bridging virtual, physical, and cloud. Unitrends has provided next-generation enterprise-class data protection to thousands of customers.

Work for Unitrends?

Learning about Unitrends?

Unitrends Reviews

Ask Unitrends a Question
Showing 101 Unitrends reviews
Unitrends review by Lee E.
Lee E.

"Pricey But Generally Worth It"

What do you like best?

+After you iron out those startup kinks it can generally be left to run itself, just set up some outlook rules to flag any failure reports.

+Lots of regular reporting.

+Automated backup testing with robust options. (Love this.)

+Ability to self-host Agent-based backups in an emergency.

+Friendly support personnel, everyone I've talked to so far has been very customer satisfaction focused.

What do you dislike?

+As of this time (03/2018) the sensitivity of the ransomware detection, which is a nice feature in concept, is a global setting. As such I get false positives on some machines due to the nature of their workload but if I decrease the sensitivity to get rid of those false positives I'm also decreasing the sensitivity for machines where high sensitivity is desirable.

+Pricing is, at its heart, fairly competitive for the market, it was a hefty ding for us though, and you do pay a bit of a premium for having "one throat to choke".

+It would be nice if, in the event of unexpected growth, we could expand the system by simply buying another system and tying them together or upgrading the drives. As it stands, versioning can be offloaded, which is good, but beyond that you just need to buy another unit and admin it separately or buy big enough to swap out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know Veeam is the darling of the backup world right now and I think it definitely has its place, I don't know how it might compare to Unitrend's software only option running on a system. But if you don't want or have time to put something together from pieces and you want to know that a support issue will begin and end at the same phone number, I think Unitrends is the way to go. I haven't tried ti yet but I also think DRaaS has potential.

Local backup, remote backup, disaster recovery, and backup testing are all key features that we are using to benefit our company, before Unitrends we only had remote backup and manual backup testing. If a system went down we would have to wait while the backup was downloaded from the remote server and while we never had any trouble with bad backups, I respect the adage, "The backup you haven't tested is no backup at all." so I'm very happy to have our backups being automatically tested so that we can have the peace of mind, knowing they are good, without burning time on manual testing.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Unitrends
Unitrends review by Brent Q.
Brent Q.

"Physical Appliance or Virtual Appliance"

What do you like best?

Used both physical and virtual appliances (PHD Virtual) and both are rich in features and capabilities. Backup and recovery of physical or virtual environment or both together. Love the fact that while backups have failed from time to time but never had a recovery fail and isn't what this is really about!

What do you dislike?

Physical appliance costs, the UI which was flash based (since moved to HTML5), and an architectural design with backend API and frontend web server passing commands. They use a lot of open source components and while not a security risk they often show up as such when scanned but since the flaw is not exploitable they do not fix it but wait for open source community to address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the physical appliances only if you need something to exist off main storage arrays. There are other ways to achieve this same goal, but that is the primary reason to look, otherwise stick to virtual appliance options.

It is backup and recovery, so problem solved is not losing data that is needed despite actions of users. Getting back files representing work that would have to be redone otherwise so benefit is work hours for employee's.

What Server Backup solution do you use?

Unitrends review by Steven F.
Steven F.

"Unitrends - Just works - Good Licencing Options"

What do you like best?

I love when you buy an appliance that you don't have to worry about individual server licences... only limited to the space on your appliance. Support is always there to help. Our local company that sells Unitrends offers training every so often, so really nice to talk to others and learn best practices. Networking with out users of the products really helps feel better about the product.

What do you dislike?

Come out with updated hardware a little faster. We are on the 3 year free hardware replacement. Hoped to get updated equipment, but will be getting exact same hardware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Support has always been there when I need them. It has served me well through 2 appliances I have purchased from them.

It can backup any platform needed so far via VMware or Physical server. Being able to backup legacy operating systems is key. We have some old system we are unable to update, but are still need to rely on. It has saved me a when our phone system went down. They even had added a feature that was automatically turned on that saved use loosing more data.

Unitrends review by Kristian H. L.
Kristian H. L.

"The swiss army knife of backup"

What do you like best?

I can make this solution fit any backup need and it is still simple to operate and manage.

Regardless if I need to have off-site copies, want to have validated and testet backups, need wan optimized replication, if I need a virtual or physical appliance or want to deploy as software.

What do you dislike?

The new UI does not yet have feature parity with the old UI, however this is obviously being worked on.

Unfortunetely the new UI also has a few quirks like initial date needs to be changed through datepicker, since the initial format is wrong.

In the meantime you can fallback to the old UI.

The old UI was also good, but used flash which hurts it a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have the flexibility and capability of IBM Spectrum Protect (TSM) with an interface which is even easier then Veeam.

Complete backup and disaster recovery solution, which can support compliance, and any backup need in one product with enough simplicity that you do not need a phd. to support or manage the product.

So complete recovery assurance, compliance verification and simplification.

Lots of saved time due to the ease of use in the product so I do not need to spend so much time managing a backup solution.

Unitrends review by John P.
John P.

"UniTrends Enterprise Backup Standard virtual appliances"

What do you like best?

Once the software is setup, it is very reliable and consistent. I don't worry about the backups themselves - just the procedures and policy associated with DR if that is the situation. File recovery is quick enough and full recovery is quick as well.

What do you dislike?

I dislike having to switch between the modern UI and the legacy interface for completing any tasks that aren't possible in the current UI. In this regard only, the software seems slightly under cooked. I'd also like to see the software work with lower screen resolutions. I had to replace an old 19" flat panel because the UI doesn't scale down to 1024x786.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be absolutely certain you plan your storage setup. UniTrends addresses a pool of storage. In other words, if adding 5 iSCSI connected LUNs, once added and made accessible to UniTrends, all 5 LUNs are written across by UniTrends. In other words, if you lose a connection at any time, you are highly likely to corrupt the backup database - completely. This has implications of course when trying to reclaim storage if you overspec'd the amount of storage dedicated to the appliance. Once 'absorbed' by UniTrends, the storage belongs to UniTrends.

This is one of several good reasons to use the Backup Copy feature - have a complete copy of your backups sent to another device - just in case.

We have replaced 3 competitors of varying complexity with UniTrends simple to use solution. We needed to do this cost-effectively and UniTrends was capable and cost-effective enough for us to eliminate the other software (Veeam - nice product but expensive, DoubleTake, and Veritas Backup Exec). UniTrends does not necessarily do everything those 3 products are capable of but we decided it was time to reduce the complexity and reviewed our recovery requirements. We found that the 'specialized' features of the 3 solutions were of little to no use to us any today.

Unitrends review by Tom L.
Tom L.

"Great customer support and very flexible service offerings"

What do you like best?

Customer support has been a lifesaver for my implementation. My wife and I both run small, home-based consulting businesses and have critical files we need backed up and available. Even though I only have workstations (PCs and Laptops), my systems are no less critical to my business that the full SAN and server infrastructure I used to support in a major data center. I have tried several other backup options (NAS, shared drives, etc) and researched cloud offerings, but Unitrends provides a reasonable priced offering that mixes local and cloud-based backup solutions. I also like that they provide a "bare-metal recovery" service at not additional charge, which is very value-added for my situation. I have had two workstation failures that I was able to recover my important files, but having the full system backup would have allowed for a much quicker restoration.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if they had more documentation around smaller business needs, like mine, for implementation. The slight differences between workstations and servers created a few challenges, which were easily overcome by working with customer support, but most could have been avoided with some targeted documentation. This maybe unique to my situation, and maybe I am the only one with this type of implementation, but there may be a bigger market in the small, home-based business.

Also, I had some challenges with getting a cabinet to mount the appliance. Being home-based, I didn't have a place for a full sized server cabinet, but found the half depth networking cabinets too shallow. Again, may be unique to my situation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unitrends is a great solution for businesses of all sizes. Don't discount Unitrends because you think you are too small - they are reasonably priced and have a great engineering and technical support staff to get you up and running quickly.

I have all of the "systems" (i.e., workstations) that are critical to three businesses backup up to a reliable and robust service. Fortunately, I have not had to exercise a full recovery yet, but have great peace of mind knowing I can restore when needed.

Unitrends review by Joseph C.
Joseph C.

"Unitrends just works and the price is right."

What do you like best?

All in one appliance that comes with all the licensing you need. Very easy to set up and get started.

What do you dislike?

Simple functionality that doesn't offer customization when performing VMware backups. While I like that it is simple, I wish I have more options to balance backups between ESXi hosts. But since the full backups have completed and only incrementals are running, the issues have gone away.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you compare the features and the cost, you will realize this is the best solution for you.

We are backing up way more or our VM's then we did without Unitrends. We are also replicating all the data to our offsite appliance. Previously if our development environment had an issue, we would have to rebuild a VM. Now we can just restore it.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Great backup solution"

What do you like best?

Unitrends provides a great backup/restore solution, optional archiving and or replication to multiple devices. The solution is easy to get started with. The larger appliances have optional 10g SFP+ connections to our core network switches, so backup and restore operations are very fast. The licensing is easy and does not cost to add more agents. The newer, larger appliances also have fantastic reduplication performance.

What do you dislike?

Support was hit-or-miss for a time. Recently the support team has been more responsive and helpful with issues, though there was a time we nearly changed vendors because of the poor technical support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Initially we under-bought on our first appliance, it had a software based RAID array which caused us to re-image the appliance a few times and we did lose all of our backups. The larger appliances with hardware RAID and 10g SFP+ adapter gives us the speed, retention and reliability we want in a backup system.

We also have a second appliance for replication, which gives us offsite replication. We also do archiving to disk and take that to cold storage, another feature that did not cost extra.

Unitrends solved our need for disk based backups and restores. The speed and frequency of backups help keep our sensitive data backed up and safe multiple times per day and in some cases multiple times per hour. We back up flat data, Exchange, SQL and VMs (both with VMDK files and RDM disks).

Unitrends review by Bianca G.
Bianca G.

"Best back up solutions for mix environment "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of getting started, management and support.

What do you dislike?

At times their support is really busy and it might take a day to get help. I had that happen in the past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test it out if you can, make sure your OS are compatible with what Unitrends support and understand you need. If you try it out you will like it, the daily reports are great to keep you up to date on your backup status without spending a lot of time looking it over it.

I haven't solid backup solutions with off site replicating that is reliable and I can trust I'll be able to restore it when needed

Unitrends review by Sue S.
Sue S.

"Unitrends is a solid, secure solution for backup and disaster recovery"

What do you like best?

Our customers love the ease of use of Unitrends. Recovery of deleted files, etc. is really easy to do. Plus, with the Unitrends Cloud option, it gets your data offsite.

What do you dislike?

Cost may be a little high, but our customers believe that the investment they made in Unitrends is solid due to the security of their data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unitrends is a reliable, easy to use solution for backup and recovery, with options for Reliable DR and Cloud. It will allow you to have either two appliance at two locations for DR or you can have one appliance and send backups tot he cloud with Unitrends Forever Cloud. Unitrends can be a little pricey compared to other backup solutions.

Backup and disaster recovery, ease of use. Our customers can solve most of the recovery issues on their own. Set up and implementation are relatively easy.

Unitrends review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Unitrend Backup Appliance"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of the program and it does what they say it can do. It takes backups of windows/linux machines with just an agent installed on the server/computer and you can setup easy to use schedules.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the backup to cloud functionality. I feel like it could be done a lot better (and maybe will be as this is a newer feature I believe). I cannot tell how much storage there is on the cloud without logging into their website and even then it's clunky.

Also I wish the reports would be more in depth and show me exactly the size of every backup and file when taken.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great and is coming along. I would recommend waiting for a few releases if cloud backup is your primary goal. On site is great though.

Disaster recovery is our main goal and this is doing just that. Obviously the restore functionality if people accidentally delete file they need is the more important that we have used to date.

Unitrends review by Barry D.
Barry D.

"Unitrends Backup Software"

What do you like best?

I purchased the installation service and it really paid off in that they not only setup the software and initial back up schedules but checked in and reviewed the jobs with me so I felt assured that the system was working as it should.

What do you dislike?

I purchased Unitrends because Backup Exec was working so poorly after the last revision. I needed a backup solution that would backup to tape due to management aversion to a Cloud based solution. Unitrends does not backup directly to tape but requires a separate job to archive the completed job to tape. This process isn't supported in the user interface but required the tech to show me how to launch the legacy console to configure the archiving and monitor the process. Tedious and disappointing. That process should be part of user interface and not accessed through a past version of the user interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to have backups to tape, you will have to use the legacy interface which is cumbersome. Purchase the installation services, The time and aggravation saved is well worth it and will also give you some training., .

The backups are faster and the dedup seems to be working better as well. Running on linux so there is a savings in an operation system.

Unitrends review by Raymond M.
Raymond M.

"RC602 Appliance is nice Unitrends is Great"

What do you like best?

The support on getting setup is a bit unique but works great to get you up and running in the best way. Backups are critical devices. Its nice that they assign you a specialist right from the start, with the sole purpose of getting you setup correctly.

What do you dislike?

The Gui is not the easiest for troubleshooting problems. But the support site's search function works well for copying and pasting errors into with the closest solution coming up first.

The GUI also lacks drill-downs on some of the items that would make for a much quicker workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clean up your data before looking at copying to the cloud. The less the better. Run speed tests to make sure your utilizing the maximum bandwidth from your provider. Go one step larger on the appliance than you thin you need. The larger the size the more recovery points you can have and ability to retain data longer and spin up VMs within the appliance if ever needed. Last, make sure you call them before purchasing. They are great at assessing your situation and giving you a baseline for what products you may need to accomplish you objectives.

NO more taking tapes to the bank. With the Backup copy to Unitrends cloud and Drass, I have a hybrid solution that gives me multiple recovery locations.

Unitrends review by Ehab H.
Ehab H.

"Good backup and recovery system"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and many recovery options from server spin up to file recovery. It works well with both physical servers and VMs and vcenters. It doesn't over flood the network as other solution it really manage and optimize itself based on what bandwidth available.

What do you dislike?

Not able yet to control the cloud backup. I heard that a new version will give the customer the availability to manage their cloud backups. I want to add that their customer support not that great. I had bad experience with the support. Every person tells you something different than the other. Some time I would feel lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This system is relativity easy to use. and if you are ok to deal with un-professional customer support.

I used to have two different backup systems to satisfy the company needs. Switching to one system that has it all eliminate the confusing and using multiple systems. Also one of the system I used to have was tap backup, which was hard to keep all taps and track them. Now using the cloud is my easy.

Unitrends review by Noah M.
Noah M.

"Great"

What do you like best?

The old Symantec system took all night to run our backups, this system take half the time. The interface is very intuitive and clean. Unitrends really thought of design as well as function, which is quite important for a system to be easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The agent less additions did not work as expected. Overall, it does work as expected, however occasionally the ability to add a job without an agent installed on the specified machine does not always work depending on the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to use and setup is remarkably simple and very intuitive, however the agent less backup doesn't always work as expected.

We needed a system that could backup to the cloud and this provided us that. We have seen an increase in performance and reliability of the backup process. The system also provides us the ability to do a DR audit regularly.

Unitrends review by John David A.
John David A.

"Ok but could be better"

What do you like best?

Some of the support techs are really great and helpful, but support seems to be undergoing a rough time right now as it spotty.

The product itself is ok and once they get fully transferred to the new GUI I think will be better.

What do you dislike?

What we were demo'd and quoted was not exactly what we got. new interface is not 100% done yet so some items need to be done on old GUI. at time a bit confusing and the old way may or may not be upgradable to new GUI. so might have to redo setup.

we had a very bad launch of the product and had to get a VP from Unitrends side to get resolved. So that left a bad taste in our mouth. since then thinks have improved and the latest released did resolve a lot of our problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get a clear launch plan from them and try to get a few hours of free training.

we wanted one solution to handle both physical and virtual servers. This does it. Like almost non-tape backup system they have problems with long term archiving. Their solution works but could be more smooth.

Unitrends review by Ron S.
Ron S.

"Easy as 1, 2, 3!"

What do you like best?

It definitely has been the easiest backup solution I've ever used so far. Without any training or help, I was able to get it installed, setup and configure working backups on the first day inside of a couple hours. By the end of my time I had the entirety of our server environment (about40 servers), configured for a backup to run that night and weekend and we were entirely protected within 3 days! Prior to getting our Unitrends solution our previous backup environment had been failing out on me and I was massively stressed. As that weekend progressed I could feel my blood pressure come down as each backup completed. They've been running pretty much flawlessly ever since! I would have no problem recommending Unitrends to anyone!

What do you dislike?

So far, I would only have two complaints I think. Upon receiving and setting up the equipment, in the haste to get it set up and working ASAP, we just set up the 1GB ethernet with the intention to set up the 10GB later. Setting up the 10GB turned out to be a little bit of a hassle and took a couple days. Overall, was not a big deal at all and the support team was helpful and we got it solved.

The only other minor hassle was figuring out how to recover files. Again, without any training, I was able to figure out most of the recovery process, but just missed the link that you need to go to, to actually get the files. Now that I know, it's really easy and slick and it's worked great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it! If you have any issues or stress with your current backup, then this is the product for you! You shouldn't live stressed that any issue will take you down and you may not be able to get it back.

I'm protected! That's the biggest, most important problem I had and it's solved! The biggest benefit is that I'm able to keep so much more timeline of my backups. With our previous solution, we were down to two to three weeks of backups that we could keep. Anything beyond that was a simple answer, pound sand. Now, I'm almost at two months and I still have plenty of room to go! What's even better, is I'll have an off-site copy in place soon too! I have slept much better the last two months.

Unitrends review by Chris R.
Chris R.

"Unitrends Virtual Appliance"

What do you like best?

The virtual appliance was easy to download and configure. We were able to get it up and running quickly (less than an hour). The system also requires FAR less daily interaction than our old Symantec BackupExec system, and has a far more intuitive user interface.

What do you dislike?

We had some issues getting the device backing up at a normal rate. We did get good support from Unitrends to get this resolved, even though it was during our trial. We have since had some other minor issues and found that we got good response from their customer support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We compared this solution to Barracuda, Veeam, and a few others. Unitrends had the best pricing and combination of features for what we were looking to do (backup 2 Hyper-V hosts to a local server and replicate to a "cloud" - in our case Google nearline).

We have reduced the amount of time spent dealing with backups, and have increased our coverage. We previously chose "important" files and folders to back up, but had limited options if an entire machine went down. We now backup all of our virtual servers and would have FAR less downtime if a machine were to fail.

Unitrends review by Adam S.
Adam S.

"Plan and simple it just works and works well"

What do you like best?

I like how easy and quick it is to recover a server. The wonderful compression the backups are saved with makes efficient use of the space on the appliance. The user interface is straightforward and the time to recover a server is very fast. I am glad we went with this solution.

What do you dislike?

I would like an improvement in the AS400 client setup / install. This was the most complex part of the setup. I also found the need to buy more storage space to backup all of my servers. not really a unitrends problem I just run a lot of servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No need to look at other vendors unitrends got it right. I would get this solution again if I had to start over just with a little more storage space.

We needed an enterprise grade backup solution for critical servers and found unitrend and I am so glad we did. We can now effortlessly recover our important servers in the event of a server failure. We have already recovered our web server and a critical database with unitrends. This solution has saved us time and money. It has also given the the benefit of peace of mind at night knowing all my data is being safely saved nightly.

Unitrends review by Kyle S.
Kyle S.

"Started off great but went downhill pretty quickly"

What do you like best?

Web-based interface. It is now HTML5, where before it was Flash-based.

What do you dislike?

Pretty much everything. You can't restore a single VMDK for a VM. You have to restore the whole thing. Software upgrades seem to make the product worse and worse. Slow to adopt newer version of Microsoft SQL.

A colleague of mine used Unitrends and a couple times they lost HR data because of a stuck cleanup process. The appliance never showed any kind of issue or sent any kind of alert or message.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't buy. Unitrends just doesn't seem to adapt very quickly.

Their support is really good. They're easy to get ahold of and they stay with you through the problem.

Drive failures seem kind of frequent. That being said, we recieve new drives quickly even though we're not always able to go replace them at our Co-Lo as quickly as we would like.

Unitrends started off great. We purchased two appliances, one for on premise and one for offsite because we didn't have offsite but we knew that had to change. We wanted something that was VM capable but could also handle jobs like SQL and such that needed to be done at the file level.

Unitrends review by Sylvain D.
Sylvain D.

"Unitrends, it just works !"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. You can set up new backup schedules or one-time backups in seconds and restore files or whole systems in minutes. Once a VM host is added, you have the option of including new VMs to the backup automatically so you can spin up and tear down VMs without worries, they will be backed up.

Compression/Deduplication is also great, we have 75TB worth of backups on a 16TB appliance.

Unlike other companies that offer great pricing to new customers and then take them for granted, Unitrends will offer you huge discounts and free hardware refresh when you sign up for additional years. By buying support for 3 years up front, we could upgrade to a bigger appliance. Our cost remains then same year after year, but we have new hardware with more storage and more performance.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. The thing that could use some work is the documentation, and I'm not saying it's bad, I've seen a lot worse, but it could be better. They now have a community/wiki/support website with a lot of procedures and Q&A so if you can't find your answer in the doc, chances are good that it will be answered there, if it isn't already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome product with great support. If you go the Recovery Series route, leave yourself room to grow. The first appliance we bought was a little too tight for the size our data and there was not enough free space to enable compression/deduplication.

Data security, business continuity, disaster recovery, less time wasted managing backups means more time available for other projects. I have used Unitrends to migrate VMs from one host to another because it was easier than using the host converter software.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Really good solution for all company sizes"

What do you like best?

I like the fact the it is easy to use solution. Because it is a appliance (virtual or physical) so in just a few hours you can start doing the backups. Also the advanced features like instant recovery, that you can have vms up spinning in minutes, its a peace of cake to keeps things going. Really great product.

The interface is really easy to use and the dashboard you can immediately know how are your backups doing and if there is a problem right away. So you dont have to spend to much time to know what is going on with the solution.

What do you dislike?

Maybe the fact that it is a little expensive but the solution never fails. So if you want a garantee Data protection solution, Unitrends gets the job done.

Another thing is that it is a appliance by appliance buy, so you have to do some incremental investments by appliance, so it is not cheap. but like I said worth every penny.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for a test drive with the 30 days trial and see for yourself what Unitrends can do for your Data Protection needs.

We have a vmware virtual environment arount 1000+ VMs, so with Unitrends we can make sure the virtual environment is protected and in case of a failure, we can recover the services within minutes and not hours. Then let the fun begins with the advanced features like instant recovery. Try it all and qets your conclusions for yourself.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Medical Devices
Administrator in Medical Devices

"It just works!"

What do you like best?

I like that there are disks and NO TAPES. It makes for very very reliable backups and restores. Tapes are too antiquated and companies keep using the same media because that is what they currently use.

What do you dislike?

I hate when the UI changes significantly within too short of a span and it makes it very hard to find or do what I want to do. I understand that they need to change the UI for ease of use. Early on they seemed to change the UI like weekly. It has calmed down considerably and they do a good job of making sure customers have buy in before it gets a significant change to the UI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do plenty of planning and don't under size the device to save money. The data is not going to shrink. You are better off with a larger unit that isn't taxed to the max. Most times the budgets cut in to the size of the device and then down the road the device has to be changed to a larger size to accommodate all of the added data being backed up.

Reliable backups. And the piece of mind that goes along with it. Piece of mind is something no one seems to consider in the plan. But if you can't sleep at night knowing your backups suck, then it wasn't a very good choice to begin with.

Unitrends review by James R.
James R.

"Unitrends Backup Appliance"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of backing up multiple servers, especially virtual machines on VMware. I also find the restore process simple and quick. The few times that I have needed to restore data, everything I needed was available. I also have been very impressed with the customer support. Every time I have had a problem, they were able to fix it quickly and thoroughly. I like that I am speaking with an experienced technician and they are not just following a script. I also like that they have created a newer UI which does not require Flash.

What do you dislike?

There is very little I dislike about the appliance. The only complaint I have is due to the fan noise on the archive appliance that I purchased along with the backup appliance. The fan only runs at high speed. However, the achive appliance in question is more than three years old and I suspect this has probably been fixed in newer appliances. And since this archive appliance is only used once per week to create an offsite HD archive copy, my workaround is simply to turn the archive appliance off when it is not being used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your appliance purchase includes refreshed hardware in the future, make sure you get all of the details in writing. I have already refreshed my hardware once and it was definitely worth it but I thought I remembered being told that I could keep the old appliance (yes, that now seems to good to be true) and my plan was to use it as an offsite replication appliance. Of course, the refresh required me to send it back. I am still happy as the refreshed hardware is much better.

I am using the Unitrends backup appliance as our primary backup solution. I am also using a separate Unitrends archive appliance to create a weekly offsite HD backup. I am also planning to create a NAS-based backup copy that will provide longer retention of file-based backups.

Unitrends review by Nate A.
Nate A.

"Great software and support, could use some help with sales and licensing."

What do you like best?

Software works brilliantly. I have recovered several servers in minutes. Management interface is not that hard to learn.

What do you dislike?

Unitrends has been shuffling their licensing model around a bit lately, and some of their salesforce have struggled to fulfill renewals for me. They maintain two completely separate sales groups for new sales and renewals, so that doesn't help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carefully scope your implementation. Get Unitrends to help with planning and implementation. Purchase services if necessary from them.

Unitrends has a very stable and well developed software platform for backing up any kind of device, physical or virtual, to SAN storage, NAS or the Cloud. For virtualized environments, you simply must have a performance compliant platform to take advantage of virtual machine snapshots and rapid backup and restore.

Unitrends review by Steven D.
Steven D.

"A most Excellent backup system"

What do you like best?

I have used backup Exec, Seagate software and a couple of others. Unitrends is easier to use and has less clicks for the same function. Bare metal restores are very simple and strangely faster than the other systems. Using the hardware supplied by Unitrends has also removed one item for my list of worries. If something has a problem I pick up the phone and hey fix it then and there.

What do you dislike?

The only down side can think of is there is no local console interface. Everything is done from a second PC. But does this really matter?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get one

We have two locations. This system solves the problem off offsite backup. The box at each office self-replicates the data giving redundancy of backup.

Unitrends review by Matthew D.
Matthew D.

"Unitrends for Physical and Virtual Backups"

What do you like best?

I like that I can use it to back up as many assets as I want. I like that I can backup virtual machines without an agent, or with an agent, or both. I am currently on my second appliance with them, and noticed the huge performance gain with the new hardware. The performance is great and recovery has been also great.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Exchange protection is in the box, but additional tools are required to restore a single email or mailbox (Kroll OnTrack). The interface (Even the new HTML5) is very, very clunky. I've not used others so I can't compare it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Other vendors change by asset and storage volume. Unitrends charges for an appliance that will provide protection for a specific amount of data. An example: If I have 10 TB of data to backup that is my protected data size. The license would cover that amount and the size of the appliance might be 3-5 times that size in order to meet my retention goals.

It provides backup and recovery for the company I work for. It can help with Disaster Recovery and the company has many other products that we aren't using now but could.

Unitrends review by Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting
Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting

"Okay for Small/Maybe Medium environments"

What do you like best?

- Cost

- Feature sets for small shops

- Support.... okay but... depending on

What do you dislike?

- difficult bare metal

- consumes lots of space due to limited deduplication algorithms

- Support can be questionable depending on technician you speak with

Recommendations to others considering the product

Strongly consider business requirements and featuresets needed

Our environment consisted of two Unitrends boxes that covered 3 hosts at two locations each hosting about 110 windows servers at each location. Data size was about 30T. While we did have some luck restoring servers, it was at difficult at times to manage for new staff to grasp, We clearly pushed the limited of this product in its environment. Some feature sets of individual mail box restore capability don't exist. Our environment replicated backups between both plant locations. After having a few consultants in, everyone agreed that this product would work well in a 30 window server environment but not designed for what we were using it for. If you want to protect your data with feature rich enterprise level software, this isn't it but it is a low cost solution that may meet the need. It doesn't have the capability to spin up the environment if your hosts collapse. Average rating for this product. Much better out there in the technology space.

Unitrends review by Steven N.
Steven N.

"Great Product for all your Disaster Recovery Needs!"

What do you like best?

I like that it's an all-in-one backup and continuity appliance. The ease of deployment and management is great. This appliance fits the need for any client whether they are Enterprise or SMB.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind. Great product all around that works!

Business backup and disaster recovery and continuity. Every business needs to understand and have a business continuity plan. Unitrends helps solve this with their solutions. You can recover from a failure, disaster, or simple file restore in very little time. This keeps costs down and productivity up. There are lots of backup solutions out there, but how quick can you recover when you need to. Thats the key to think about.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"UVB: A good and reliable virtual backup platform"

What do you like best?

Unitrends is a suite that combines simplicity and effectiveness. For small business like the one I am involved, it's a nice solution at a competitive cost. I like the way it is deployed. A simple virtual appliance can deal with lots and lots of virtual backups.

What do you dislike?

As all software products, it has things that can be better. It is a matter of evolution. By my personal experience, I would like to have more parameters to personalize, like a best way to manage retention policies or an interface to control how many jobs I can have running in parallel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to try it for a while, you can test all functionalities of Unitrends aside of your current environment for backups. If you find that lower cost to make backups and restore virtual machines and files instantly, you can have arguments to switch.

My company had no backup solution. I solved that issue deploying two virtual backup appliances, one for making production environment backups and the other one to have a restore offsite. It has been working fine for 6 months now. I'm very glad about that and I can sleep well all night at this time,

Unitrends review by Lorenz M.
Lorenz M.

"Simple to set up, but does not keep promises"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of setup. The setup creates a virtual appliance, the administration is done via a web interface. The complete backup strategy is setup quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is a problem with compression and deduplication. The Exchange server mail database of 40GB took 120 GB of storage in the backup. This backup took several hours. This led me to abandon Unitrends after a first very good impression.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure, the backup compression and deduplication works in your case reliably.

A full backup solution with a simple setup. Copy to a remote location was a must.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Such a nice upgrade from EMC Networker"

What do you like best?

Backups are easy to setup & manage and the software just works correctly without too much fuss. I am able to backup (almost) everything I can think of. The GUI is easy to understand and navigate and on-going support has been responsive for the few things that I either did not understand or needed assistance with

What do you dislike?

There was a bit of a hiccup with the hardware sent for the seed replication, but I was able to bypass the issue with some local HDD docks that I already had sitting around in order to get the seeding to work correctly.

No MySQL native support to backup the dbs, but works with MS SQL & Oracle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to over subscribe if you are not sure how many servers you are in need to backup, as you will always find more servers to add to your scope

We needed a comprehensive local backup solution that streamlined directly into our DR plans that needed to be off-site. We were able to find both with Unitrends. They even allow for me to spin up any servers backed up on-premise as well (even though that was not part of the requirements), but it is a nice feature to have.

Unitrends review by Executive Sponsor in Consumer Goods
Executive Sponsor in Consumer Goods

"Unitrends as a backup appliance"

What do you like best?

It was easy to set up. Dedicated support to help during the set up phase. Worked to help get our non standard server configuration to work with their device.

What do you dislike?

Our non-standard server configuration caused problems with backup software. Current solution is not optimal. Still have a couple of outstanding issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works best in standard server setup and normal virtualization software. Work arounds are available. Once your device has accumulated enough backup set, you are sent a USB disc to seed the cloud. When they receive the seed disk, you are turned over to another support team that handles cloud replication.

We have a 5MB upload to the internet and this has proved adequate to handle cloud replication. You have no control how Unitrends updates the cloud replication and data deduplication.

We allocate 10% of our available upload bandwidth to Unitrends during business hours and 100% during off hours.

Backup was consuming too much server bandwidth. No backup to the cloud.

Backup is now quicker with the replication to the cloud.

Unitrends review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Quality Local Appliance and Cloud Backup"

What do you like best?

Onsite backups are easy to setup and manage.

What do you dislike?

There seem to be many failed cloud backups though that is still a pending ticket. Also, the interface is modern and clean, though I've seen the old UI and the new one could do with a few more options from the former.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to ask about the Customer Discovery Document before you make a purchase. It is supposed to assist in sizing a device for your organization, but this step was skipped in my purchasing experience.

The purpose built appliance is solving our server backup needs as well as our disaster recovery needs when coupled with the cloud backup service.

Unitrends review by Jared D.
Jared D.

"Unitrends as our DR System "

What do you like best?

Automated backups that allow us to ensure we have redundancy to our offsite location.

What do you dislike?

I wish I would get more alerts regarding jobs that fail and details as to why.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We reviewed various provider solutions across the backup segment. Unitrends demonstrated the capabilities we were looking for and continues to meet all of our expectations.

Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity

Unitrends review by Eric W.
Eric W.

"Great backup solution with SQL backup issues "

What do you like best?

The product is very easy to use in my opinion. Navigation is simple and works very well. The product backs up my systems as designed with little effort. Restores are very fast.

What do you dislike?

SQL application level backups are very sensitive. I am constantly having to resolve SQL-level backups. With certain SQL systems its just more stable to have SQL Studio Manager run its own backup job to local storage and have Unitrends backup the BAK files using simple File-level backups. Searching restores thru large quantities of data can take a while.

Getting off of Tape backups and still maintaining SLA's for restores. We also implemented a second appliance in an offsite data center for DR purposes.

Unitrends review by Ajie Anggaon, M.
Ajie Anggaon, M.

"Easy to use backup solution"

What do you like best?

Ease of deployment of the appliance.

Easy to use console to backup/restore data.

Backup is quick and efficient..

Easy to troubleshoot the solution.

Software update via console is nice and flawless

What do you dislike?

Sometimes UI is gibberish when switching from task while in VPN.

Sometimes when cancelling a backup job, the UI is not updated properly with the correct cancellation information so I had to reboot the appliance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

UEB is an efficient and effective backup solution and pricing is competitive.

Efficient and fast backup of data/VM. UEB console is easy to understand, use and enables us to quickly login and verify backup data.

Unitrends review by Aaron H.
Aaron H.

"Unitrends - A power horse! "

What do you like best?

I like the reports that are available to me, I can show others how our Backups are looking and it lets me know what I need to be working on to make our backups current.

What do you dislike?

The Replication report could be more fine tuned

File Restoration.

When users accidentally delete files on our servers, We are able to recover it and they did not lose valuable information.

Unitrends review by Patrick S.
Patrick S.

"fast appliance but we miss detailed logs"

What do you like best?

fast and nice appliance

many options to backup virtual nodes

nice licence system

What do you dislike?

the new web interface hides to many details

tape support ist not the best

many things wirhin the manual are not clear, for example: file recover from a linux guest, unitrends really hates LVM

Recommendations to others considering the product

take care about vmdk exports

yosemite backup is not available as standallone product

Unitrends review by Greg F.
Greg F.

"Fantastic Product!"

What do you like best?

Unitrends has always been a leader in the data recovery space, and they continue to make their product better. Looking forward to ver 10

What do you dislike?

This is a hard question to answer...I guess I would have to say that the only negative thus far is a unique issue I am having with their ReliableDR product. It is taking a long time for them to figure out the issue and solve it

DR/BC, local backup, archival data storage.

Unitrends review by Micah H.
Micah H.

"Good overall."

What do you like best?

The interface is simple and easy to use. The graphical representation of backups allows me to see at a glance which servers have backed up properly each day (7 day maximum).

What do you dislike?

Certain part of the interface are too simplistic, and I need to access the legacy interface to do certain things. We've had several issues with the backup copy to the Unitrends cloud, but I think they were all resolved within 48 hours (of submitting a ticket).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know exactly how you want everything to be on day 1 if at all possible.

Offsite backups in adition to local backups.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"A useful solution "

What do you like best?

In our setup we use it as an MSP and provide hosted backup solutions to our customers. Being able to easily separate our backups from customer backups with different servers, yet have everything show up in one management console. Also the "backup copy" feature has been useful for us in doing various types of offsite archiving.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes while searching for a specific server being backed up, there is not an easy way to find it in the job view. We are reviewing updates to the product and like that features are being worked on by Unitrends.

We solved issues with having both our internal backups and our customer backups being on different servers and managing with different consoles. Now with Unitrends we can see everything from one place!

Unitrends review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Solid Product that is easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use, and its ability to just "work". Migrating to Unitrends has saved hours of backup maintenance from my week.

What do you dislike?

That i didn't migrate sooner. In all honesty, there is really nothing that i do not like. Unitrends is a great product with top rate US based support

My Unitrends appliance with Unitrends cloud allows me to keep and onsite and offsite backup with no additional daily steps.

Unitrends review by Rick M.
Rick M.

"Unitrends in Education"

What do you like best?

This products has all of the features I need. It is automated. It gives feed back. It clearly identities the problem areas and directs me where I can find the solution. Technical support is always ready to solve problems as they arise.

What do you dislike?

The only area that I have a problem with is learning about all of the features this product has to offer. If I could review a sheet or watch a web video this would be of great help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a demo. It sold me.

Backing up data everyday and being ready to recover from a disaster.

Unitrends review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Industry Leading Innovation all in one box"

What do you like best?

Unitrends product offerings meet just about any use case.

If you are needing to run a software solution in a virtualized environment- CHECK.

If you need to have a dedicated physical appliance on prem- CHECK.

If you need to replicate you data to the cloud for geographic or DR requirements- CHECK

If you need a simple "clean" user interface that just works- CHECK

If you need a solution that will back up to every major cloud provider- CHECK

All of these reasons and more make the Unitrends product offerings one of most versatile tools in the backup market

What do you dislike?

Cloud deployments can be troublesome when replicating to the primary cloud services (AWS, Azure, etc.) This is not really a specific issue with the Unitrends appliances/software but more of a bandwidth restriction when rehydrating from a full failure. The cost of getting sufficient bandwidth from the cloud providers can be cost prohibitive.This is something that you will have to factor into the overall cost of ownership. You can work around some of these issue by spinning up your workloads in the Unitrends cloud. They provide reliable SLAs to insure that you set proper RTOs and RPOs to the lines of business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with your Sales Teams. They are fantastic and very knowledgeable.

The Unitrends takes a lot of the roadblocks out of deploying a true enterprise class backup solution. It offers the end user the ability to simply deploy a unified and tested solution that can not only back up locally but easily offsite a client’s data for a true DR solution.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Design
Administrator in Design

"Unitrends Backup"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, installation was quick and easy. Support is excellent. I like that they offer both a software solution or a hardware option. We chose the software to use on an existing Hyper-V.

What do you dislike?

Support is a little slow to respond and you're dependant on it for certain features like adding a cloud target. I would like some more advanced features (I think i'm wasting space on a bad initial full backup job, but I have no way of finding out without calling support and letting them log in).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price point is good for Unitrends. I didn't want to spend huge dollars on Barracuda. This is a good compromise.

We have offsite backup now and the additional bonus of DraaS to virtualize our environment in a pinch.

Unitrends review by Administrator in Civil Engineering
Administrator in Civil Engineering

"Bang for buck"

What do you like best?

We've deployed Unitrends to several clients and I've always been impressed with the ease of setting it up.

Compared to other backup solutions the after sales support really stands out to be as the main selling point, I found the simple GUI and the ease of use also great when compared to other backup solutions on the market.

In short, I highly recommend trailing it as they offer free trails and great support. It'll most likely tick all your boxes.

What do you dislike?

It's always difficult moving to another backup solution and it's a difficult choice when you factor in training and the possibility of it not working.

Having said that, I've been very happy with the solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They over a free trail if you have any concerns, which is definitely worth a try.

The main benefit I've found is cost when compared to other solutions, you get great bang for buck. I was blown away how easy it was to use and how quickly we could get it up and running.

Unitrends review by Executive Sponsor in Banking
Executive Sponsor in Banking

"Unitrends Backup"

What do you like best?

Ability to use appliance as a virtual server. Saves the need for extra DR hardware...in most cases

What do you dislike?

We have had the device for almost a year now and have had the need to perform 2 cold iron restores and one attempt to convert backup tot he virtual machine. Not one of the restores worked the first time. Multiple calls to support only to be escalated and then ignored.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that they are able to restore your environment

We needed to upgrade our DR plan. Aside from fulfilling requirements to move backups offsite, I have not realized a benefit. The software has not functioned as it is advertised the three times we have needed it for a failed server.

Unitrends review by Daniel V.
Daniel V.

"Great product and service"

What do you like best?

Really easy to use product. Once it's up and running, it's one of the best backup product I've seen

What do you dislike?

Installation was a bit rough without the install service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is a great alternitive to many backup software. I've tested many and Unitrends gives you the best bang for your bucks

Consistent backups and quick turnaround time in case of a massive failure. Tested with a simulated server crash ( shut down) and spinned it up in a VM, worked great

Unitrends review by James T.
James T.

"Unitrends has potential."

What do you like best?

Unitrends took the PHDvirtual backup concept to the next level - making datacenter backups considerably easier to manage with UEB.

What do you dislike?

UEB tends to be a bit buggy from version to version and things tend to break on a somewhat regular basis.

We have a multi-pool, multi-location virtualized and physical environment that we wanted to have one solution for backup and restore capabilities. Unitrends has given us the ability to see all these through one interface, manage them individually or in groups, and apply granular or broad policies across the board to perform proper backups and restorations.

Learning about Unitrends?

* We monitor all Unitrends reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.