Unity

Unity is a development platform for creating multiplatform 3D and 3D games and interactive experiences that lets you aim to build a business on creating high-end content and connecting to players and customers.

Work for Unity?

Learning about Unity?

Unity Reviews

Ask Unity a Question
Showing 102 Unity reviews
Unity review by <span>Desire L.</span>
Desire L.

Good development software

What do you like best?

I like how complex the software is. It is very powerful, and can do a lot. It's a great piece of development software. It is difficult to learn, but there are a lot of tools out there that are very beneficial. It also have a lot of the same shortcut keys as other 3D programs, so navigating the software is straightforward if you have used 3D modeling programs.

What do you dislike?

The projects you can make with the Personal version look terrible. You don't have access to all the features, which I understand. However, when you are learning the software it becomes frustrating, because you try to do something (making terrain for instance) and you can never get it to look really realistic. I wish there were more tools available in the free version to generate more realistic worlds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try the software before you commit to spending money on it. It is really powerful, but there is a very very steep learning curve. If you don't have coding experience, or at the very minimum experience in a 3D environment you may find that learning the program is quite challenging.

I am learning Unity to potentially branch out into software and game development. After I take the time to learn the software I think it will be a great asset in helping me create apps. I would like to add app development to the list of services I can provide to clients, and I think that Unity may allow me to do that.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Unity
Unity review by <span>Raphael S.</span>
Raphael S.

Best Game Engine for indie solo developers and small teams

What do you like best?

Unity is the most flexible game engine, with a great fit and workflow for solo developers and small teams. It is extremely user friendly in comparison to other game engines and is getting better and with more advanced features everyday. The Asset Store is a huge timesaving for your projects and helps newcomers a lot. If you like to be a game developer, I think Unity is the place to start. Besides all that, the documentation, tutorials and community are great.

What do you dislike?

As any other game engines, Unity has a hard learning curve and you have to be prepared for that. The graphics processors are not so polished as in Unreal Engine but are getting better in the latest releases. The internet dashboards for your team and projects needs interface improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your dream is to work as a game developer and you don't have previous experience, I think Unity is the best place for you to start learning and making your own projects.

Unity is the game engine that I use to make my games without great investment. I use it to prototype and make storyboards of audiovisual projects too. And lastly, we are starting to use it to make scenarios of real live events for ideation purposes.

What Game Engine solution do you use?

Unity review by <span>Ieva D.</span>
Ieva D.

Convenient, easy to use program.

What do you like best?

User friendly interface, easy to learn to work with. I also like that new features are being added in newer versions of Unity e.g. more collider shapes, more particles editing options etc.

What do you dislike?

Since updating to Unity 5.5 version I'm experiencing a lot of visual glitches like random red lines, some spaces suddenly becoming black etc. My coworkers experience similar problems as well. No such problems occured in 5.4 version. It also has some little annoyances e.g. I dislike the way you have to delete polygon collider vertices in 5.5 version, 5.4 version had more convenient way, or sometimes drops you out of the folder you are in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unity is easy to learn to work with and has a lot of features for easy game development. I would recommend this program for people, who don't have a lot of experience, because of its interface and also because you can find a lot of information about this program and its features in online forums.

Product development. Simple user friendly interface, easy to use, suitable for creating both, 2D and 3D games.

Unity review by <span>Caleb W.</span>
Caleb W.

It has given me a career, and a way to follow my passion in game development.

What do you like best?

Unity is easy to use. It is one of the largest initially free engines that has steady development. I have tried other engines. It's main competitor, the Unreal engine, just couldn't compare. Unity has what feels like ten times as much documentation by Youtubers and articles online.

Unity ports to almost any mainstream platform. Android, iOS, windows, etc.... It's one of the best options for phones specifically. It is very lightweight at its base and compiles well.

They update Unity regularly. and address a lot of community concerns.

What do you dislike?

Some legacy features, such as the UI, have some strange quirks. The UI is displayed in the scene view itself, overshadowing your 3D environment. Instead of having its own UI view tab. Base assets, such as lighting, can be a bit hard to understand and install. Unity gives a lot of free assets, but they're usually combined with other asset packs, that you have to pick apart.

Baking lighting is difficult, and I've run into a lot of bugs. Built in animation tools have some odd things. Such as not being able to zoom in and out to see your animator connections.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're interested getting into software development, or specifically game development, this is the best software for the job.

The speed of use is the appeal. Building a lot of the 3D environments and porting to devices. I can demo ideas and concepts faster than any other coding program that I've used. For things such as 3D models or sprites, it's as simple as drag and drop to get them into the environment.

Unity review by <span>Christopher F. A.</span>
Christopher F. A.

Great Game Engine That Runs on EVERYTHING

What do you like best?

I initially switched to Unity3D from writing my own engines from scratch to save effort porting to iOS from Android. Since then, they've included basically all video game platforms, virtual reality devices, augmented reality, mobile platforms, etc.

It also is a very powerful flexible engine with an interface that you can add your own features to as well. We use a lot of custom coded features internally.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I've came across that I dislike with Unity3D so far is the UNET code. It's not so much the function of the UNET network features, it's how poorly documented it is. We had a bug that we took a while to solve and it took quite a bit of digging through forums to find out it's been depreciated. And we had to guess how the new function worked.

The time we saved from porting, programing our own features, and using a very tested engine has helped us skip the boring part of development and get right into game making.

Unity review by <span>Borna K.</span>
Borna K.

Unity - Best option for 2D and mobile games

What do you like best?

User interface, well documented, cross-platforming, community support with active forums, learning curve, programming flexibility, excellent asset store, engine is convenient for development of virtual reality on mobile devices, good toolset for 2D games, tailored for indie developers, visual editin tools, you can extend editor with plugins, free to a certain point, quaternions.

What do you dislike?

Subscription model, outdated Mono runtime, animation graph system. occasional crashes, engine source code is not available to any user so you cannot resolve any bugs that were caused by engine(only exception is if you pay great amounts of money), version control, .

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Unity is an excellent pick of choice for everyone considering mobile games, 2d and 2.5d games, it has outstanding community, and one of the best asset stores there are on the market. Also it is free unless you reach certain revenue, then you need to upgrade your license.

Unity is the leading game industry software, at the top of the growing VR market, one of the best asset store there is. If you are an indie developer and plan to build 2D games, or games for mobile phones that is an ideal choice you can make.

Learning about Unity?

* We monitor all Unity reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.