UpGuard

Complete visibility and monitoring for enterprise risk and cyber resilience.

Work for UpGuard?

Learning about UpGuard?

UpGuard Reviews

Ask UpGuard a Question
Showing 6 UpGuard reviews
UpGuard review by Christopher S.
Christopher S.

"I've used Guardrail to baseline systems and then to compare newly-built systems to the baseline. "

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of the product and the reports are very thorough. I like the direction they are going with giving you configuration scripts based upon the scan results, for systems like Chef, Puppet, and DSC, and hope that the DSC, in particular, becomes more well-established.

What do you dislike?

My last few times using it, the scripting parts are pretty new. I'm also not sure that you couldn't create similar reports for Windows machines using simple PowerShell scripts and WMI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for something to just perform configuration management, ScriptRock is not for you. If you are looking to monitor configuration changes, ScriptRock is PERFECT. Combined with a config management suite, you have a very powerful solution for automating and maintaining configurations.

baselining systems and script development for configurations

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about UpGuard
UpGuard review by Ian B.
Ian B.

"Visualize what you have, see changes over time, and monitor what matters most"

What do you like best?

I love that ScriptRock is a scrappy start-up that is paying close attention to its customers. As fast as the DevOps market is growing, it is still a new market and needs people like Michael and Alan who are learning as it grows.

The product, GuardRail, makes it easy to do rather complex things. Although GuardRail currently requires agents (at least for Windows), the installation was easy. Right away, we could see what our infrastructure looked like and compare machines that were supposed to be similar. Just as easily, we could compare configurations over time (from the point when we installed the agent) to see what changes were causing us problems. I was able to write a battery of "automated tests" (which could just as easily be called "monitors") without using any code. On the rare occasion when I hit limits of the existing templates, it was easy to write some PowerShell (in my case) to bridge the gap.

What do you dislike?

While GuardRail is has a simple and easy-to-learn web UI, I am looking forward to some additional polish in user flows. I found it common that I needed to work with multiple browser windows to avoid some navigation that involved too many clicks. I am confident that ScriptRock will improve the flows as they attract more customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GuardRail is a brilliant solution to an often overlooked problem. I strongly recommend GuardRail as a starting point for any team moving from "special snowflake" infrastructure to "infrastructure as code". Because what you don't know can hurt you.

GuardRail is a much needed solution to a problem most people don't yet understand well. We were like so many organizations trying to embrace DevOps -- we jumped from unmanaged chaos into heavy automation. The problem is that automation has a steep learning curve, even if you already understand your infrastructure. What we learned from automation is that we didn't have a know, stable platform. We needed GuardRail to help us understand what already exists, how it was configured, how that configuration was changing, and then to write "tests" to make sure the important parts of the infrastructure didn't change.

What Enterprise IT Management Suites solution do you use?

UpGuard review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Guardrail Review"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it gets down to file level detail for changes. I can access the console from anywhere. Policies that keep things in line with a base "image". I've just started using the product so I am still learning.

What do you dislike?

I had to adjust to the logic in the management interface, but that's not a big deal. I would have loved to have seen a change management system weaved into this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you'll be using a service account script out the install and permission sets. I wasn't ready for automating the deploy process so I had to do a lot of things manually. Create a GPO, set the service account manually on ever server and set file permissions on the scriptrock dir on every machine. That required a lot of coffee!

We want to know what changes are taking place down to a file level. We need to implement a change management solution, but at least I can now keep tabs on what is happening in our environment.

UpGuard review by Jason F.
Jason F.

"GuardRail Rocks"

What do you like best?

File level detail for changes including doing differentials. Console from anywhere. A very helpful and responsive support team.

What do you dislike?

The windows agent requires a little work. If you don't have enough licences it wont install correctly and needs to be re-installed. You have to list out all the files individually you want to do file level comparisons on rather than just specifying a directory structure with maybe a *.extension type to compare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely an easy product to demo. You should be able to see some value of the tool with 10 minutes of playing with it.

Validating whats different between servers that maybe causing the instabilities or wierd behaviour in code.

UpGuard review by Jeremiah S.
Jeremiah S.

"Very easy change monitoring"

What do you like best?

Daily emails that link to a dashboard that shows everything that has changed on the server. I can see at a glance what has changed and easy to read charts.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything I would consider worthy of the term "dislike"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install it on a server and watch the reports for a couple of weeks. See if its format meets a key requirement in your own monitoring efforts.

server integrity monitoring

UpGuard review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Government Administration
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Government Administration

"UPGUARD new saffer way "

What do you like best?

UpGuard delivers Cyber Resilience for digital businesses, enabling IT teams to trust their systems

What do you dislike?

allows businesses to understand the risk of breaches and unplanned outages due to misconfigurations and software vulnerabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None at this time trying out

on a trial to find out

Learning about UpGuard?

* We monitor all UpGuard reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.