Upwork

Upwork (formerly Elance-oDesk) is a freelance services platform for top companies to hire and work with talented independent professionals.

Work for Upwork?

Learning about Upwork?

Upwork Reviews

Showing 92 Upwork reviews
Upwork review by <span>Olivia C.</span>
Olivia C.

"Great platform! "

What do you like best?

I really love how seamless it is to communicate with clients and keep track of my customer base. Also, I really like the newest feature that allows the freelancer to propose a new project to a client.

What do you dislike?

I wish contracts offered a per word price option. Most writers base their bid off of per word. Also, I have a client that I used to write several blogs for and would submit a word count to him. It would be nice to not have to figure up the dollar amount, but just to submit a word count.

Additionally, I would like to be able to submit a milestone proposal to a project. You are currently able to submit a project proposal, but sometimes I would like to be able to propose a milestone to remind a client to set it up and pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make your profile the best it can be. This is the equivalent of your resume and the better it is, the more likely you are to gain some traction. Also, the small projects might not seem worth it at first, but go ahead and do a few just to bump up your Upward hours and experience.

I have been able to connect with clients I would have otherwise never known of or met. I have been able to provide them with business solutions - developing content - and made money.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Upwork
Upwork review by <span>Jay R.</span>
Jay R.

"Best platform for beginners."

What do you like best?

The community is good: many active forum posters and quick response times from team members. Upwork is awesome platform for freelancers. So you do n't have to.

What do you dislike?

And then upwork changed their structure so that the percentage of the fee varies, depending on how many hours the contractor has worked for the concern. Variety is not available and chat option should also have option for video call which will design it much good in this segment. Biggest problem of upwork is that good client is coming to platform, chooses someone who offer low price and get's low eminence service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although some clients request experts, few of them are willing to pay an masterful's rate, so you may need to look elsewhere depending on your level of expertise. One can search the job which he is comfortable with and in which one is ultimate at. It would be amazing if you could place no “ downwards ” limit on the hourly working price or on fixed contracts, as this might benefit many user clients and freelancers.

It give a good platform. It is by far the optimum freelancing website i've used in terms of stability and community. It also helps you find and connect with off-centre clients.

What Freelance Platforms solution do you use?

Upwork review by <span>M S.</span>
M S.

"Great for freelancing"

What do you like best?

Upwork is a great platform for freelancing if you want to stay at home and do what you love remotely.

User-friendly interface, great structure, you're free to apply for whatever job that you wish. There is a great job search tool so you can definitely find the job that fits you. There is a good rating system so you can always check whether the client has good reviews or not.

What do you dislike?

-The Upwork fee is a little bit too high, but it's actually worth it.

-For Top freelancers there was a Chat option with the Upwork Support but it disappeared, so the best option for now is opening a request and waiting for a response.

-If the client is not responsive, then if you end the contract on your own then you will not receive a feedback and it will negatively influence your JJS. On the other hand, open contracts may negatively influence your JSS too. Would be great if some actions would have been taken to give this a solution.

-When you apply for a job, and the person hires another freelancer, the connects(points) which you used for applying for the job are not being given back to you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totally recommended

I work as a freelancer.

Upwork review by <span>Kim P.</span>
Kim P.

"Great freelance resource in a pinch"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of everything. From creating a job description to hiring, Upwork made it a very simple process.

What do you dislike?

So far, I haven't been super impressed with the talent we're finding (highly-rated, too). I am unaware of what a freelancer has to do in order to sign up for Upwork, but some kind of test or evaluation might be helpful. In terms of the actual site, the load time is slow and their messaging tool feels clunky. I also don't like how some of my requirements don't actually prevent freelancers from applying if they don't meet that criteria. Sure, I can filter them out but when I have a list of 60+ candidates for a job and 95% of them don't meet my preferences, that becomes overwhelming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good to fill needs every now and then, but you need to go into it with realistic expectations. That is, you're hiring strangers based on what they say they can do.

It's an easy way to find freelancers for any number of functions -- graphic design, web development, SEO.

Upwork review by <span>Jetha G.</span>
Jetha G.

"A freelancing platform"

What do you like best?

It is a freelancing platform where freelancers can get work and employers can employee freelancers.Using upwork is very much easy and great.Using upwork you can easily get any project done because it has vast number of developers from various fields around the globe.They deliver your work and you can pay them if you are satisfied by work.Upwork is the mediator that makes sure that no fraud happens and everyone gets what they want.

What do you dislike?

Upwork should add an option for hiring more than one developer for a single project which will help us get our work done at much pace and with great perfection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best place to get your work done easily and at a comparatively lower cost.The concept of freelancing is really great and helped both the employer and the developer.One to get work and another to get the work done under requirement so easily.Upwork is recommended for both hiring as well as working.

I have used upwork at my work whenever during our project we feel that a certain module of the project requires additional skills that we don't have than we give that module to the freelancer to develop.The non disclosure agreement is also there which makes sure that the developer cannot give that developed module to anyone else which is great.

Upwork review by <span>Dan O.</span>
Dan O.

"Get Things Done"

What do you like best?

Vast array of talented international labour at your finger tips. Transparent fees, communication and tender process. Talent has access to skills test and there is an ability to see reviews of work that developers/users have done in the past. For those paid hourly, the time card app allows you to monitor your international team easily. Automatic payments.

What do you dislike?

The fees are a considerably percentage on a first time project with a new user, the clip of their fees to Upwork is fairly sizable (it's a big of a regressive tax). It's difficult to find old messages or to download messages locally from their messaging system. Everything has to be done in USD. You are forced to convert using their payment system (2.5% fee) from your local currency to USD.

Development of a website and promotional material relating to that website. With Upwork I have been able to manage and hire an internationally distributed team that can provide 24/7 support.

Upwork review by <span>Swapnil J.</span>
Swapnil J.

"Work efficiently"

What do you like best?

I like how upwork works.Using upwork you get your desired job and you can almost always work on your own time.You can also choose the delivery date by mutual communication between employee and employer.So much flexibility helps you to work freely and independently.And you can search for the projects according to your skills.This is a smart way of doing work.

What do you dislike?

It is very helpful for freelancers but it is also extremely competitive. It is tough to find clients at first but the more quality work you complete the better business gets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended freelancing platform for working flexibly and indpendently at your own time and on your skills based project.Upwork is a best platform that gives you advanced features to eazily work according to your requirement.

We use upwork for finding projects according to our skills and each team can take projects which they like so that they can work freely and comfortably.We also deliver our projects on time and get our payout easily from the employer.This is the best way and almost the smart way of working in this competitive era.

Upwork review by <span>Suresh R.</span>
Suresh R.

"Great Place To Get Appropriate projects"

What do you like best?

Upwork is best in every feature that it provides.Using upwork any employer can post a project according to their project definition and their budget,Developers like us go to upwork find the project according to their field and bid on that project if the employer agrees with our knowledge and budget they award us the project and than we do the project.This whole system is best.

What do you dislike?

The main thing is patience because when you are a beginner you do not get work that easily.so they should setup some things so that it becomes easy for a beginner to begin freelancing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is recommended to find the work that is appropriate for you and you can easily do it with your expertise and get paid for that so upwork is seiously a smart platform to work with.

We at our company are using upwork since many time and using upwork we have done many projects and delivered them on time.The money is credited to our upwork account and then to us.So upwork is great for us for doing job which we do better.

Upwork review by <span>Rachel M.</span>
Rachel M.

"Great for getting new clients"

What do you like best?

I like the job feed and the way they let you save searches and organize your past job hunts. The UI is pretty good, it's easy to tell what's what, and to get the info you need to decide if you want to apply.

What do you dislike?

I think the fees are outrageous for the level of support that is provided. I'm not sure why it's so dang expensive to use their platform, when there's not any real value other than the connections.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to factor their hefty fees into your cost when pricing out jobs, or you will quickly regret it. Just something to be extra aware of during the estimating phase!

I'm finding leads, tracking time, invoicing, and accepting payments with this platform. I like their mobile app and the smooth notification system.

Upwork review by <span>Maggie S.</span>
Maggie S.

"Client Connection"

What do you like best?

I like that I can find side work and earn extra money using Upwork. Upwork allows freelancers to search for jobs and submit proposals. When accepted, it is easy to contact the client in Messages and work out the details of the job.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the hefty fee. In the work that I do (data entry, virtual assistance, transcription), the jobs are typically small and pay small. The 20% fee really bites off a chunk of what I am earning, and makes it difficult to want to apply for smaller jobs. For example, I may transcribe a 30-minute audio file, for which I would charge around $40. Upwork takes $8 from my earnings, and that is before I owe taxes at the end of the year. So I am earning below $30 though I am charging a fair rate. Upwork is also difficult to navigate. The whole process of job listing > proposal > hire > communication > submit work > payment should be led by Upwork to make the process easily navigable. However, unless you have used it before, you must dig through the nav menu to find where you are in the process. This is not user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not mind the fee, or are in a line of work with large scale projects (such as web development), this would be a great tool for freelancing!

Upwork allows me to gain experience in my field while working from home. I am able to complete projects on my own time and discuss details directly with the client. I also am able to view a client's profile and reviews before applying for a job, which makes it easy to avoid work that is too cheap or a scam.

Upwork review by <span>Kartik B.</span>
Kartik B.

"Work And Hire"

What do you like best?

The things I like about upwork are

1.)The ease of getting work from variety of fields like machine learning,computer vision and so on.pa

2.)Also the payment option is great,you can get your payment in any currency that you want without any extra fee cut.

3.)Also despite of working sometimes you need to hire also because of certain work that you can't do and leave it to experts which you can find on upwork.

What do you dislike?

The thing that I dislike about upwork is that they don't provide option to give our project to collagrated developers i.e. giving your single work/project to more than one developers for them to develop collaboratively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend upwork for getting work of your choice and work at your time and deliver at your own time also you get your work done by such professionalists who also work like same and their timely payments are also good so that you can be sure that your payment will be easily done without any hassle in any currency you want.

We use upwork to get work for our part time and use upwork to hire people from various experts.We use upwork regularly and because their ontime payments which you can withdraw every month it is just great in case of money.Actually our company is supported by platforms like upwork.

Upwork review by <span>Sunil A.</span>
Sunil A.

"Best Freelancing Platform"

What do you like best?

I like almost everything about upwork.The way of uploading your portfolio,Bidding for the project and getting awarded,Non biased payment methods so that you feel secure that you will be paid for the work done,Also the contest option is also great.And around all this you can create your account and start bidding on the go also the dashboard is attractive and easy to use UI.

What do you dislike?

The commision taken by them on both sides is more so it is not really fair.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend upwork for freelancing and also hiring other developers because it is a great B2B transperent buisness platform so it is easy and great to work on upwork so you would surely want to try it.

We use upwork to find work and develop products as the clients on upwork ask us to do and earn money through upwork.We get various projects from upwork as well as other freelancing websites so help us to earn some money so upwork is like heart to our company.

Upwork review by <span>Sahil A.</span>
Sahil A.

"Easily Work And Hire Using Upwork"

What do you like best?

I like many things about upwork like it is very easy to use upwork both for employees and employers.The dashboard is also user friendly.Payment options are transparent enough for both the sides.You can hire developers from a variety of IT fields and also you can choose which one to hire by looking at their portfolios and reviews based on previous works.

What do you dislike?

The commission taken by upwork is high but i thing all the similar platform take higher commission so I think they should reduce it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We would recommend using upwork for hiring people from the variety of field and get your work done and delivered on time and with the proper payment given and also the work delivered is of high quality so upwork is greatly recommended.

We use upwork to higher developers for developing different project modules from the project for which we don't have expertise and after the product is delivered we pay them so you get best quality of work done for proper payment so upwork is working good for that.

Upwork review by <span>Parth P.</span>
Parth P.

"Platform for hiring freelancers"

What do you like best?

Upwork is a great platform to hire freelancers,it has freelancers from all the fields also the process of hiring freelancer that is giving the particular project to the freelancer who we like according to their portfolio is a great way.Your money is also secured by upwork,that is even developers feel secure that they will get the approproate money for their work so overall from my point of view upwork is best.

What do you dislike?

There should be an option to award a single project to more than 1 freelancer than it will just be amazing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend freelancer for any project for which you don't have professionals with you also if you need advice for certain module than also you can go for a developer on upwork because as i mentioned upwork has developers from almost all fields.

We use upwork to hire freelancers according to the project requirement,for suppose we don't have a unity3d developer for a certain project and we don't have many projects of unity3d than we don't hire a developer instead we give that project to freelancer through upwork.

Upwork review by <span>Galen S.</span>
Galen S.

"Upwork is a great place to find quality contractors"

What do you like best?

Upwork (formerly Odesk) is a really cool service that easily connects you to quality contractors from around the world. Are you looking for affordable labor to complete data entry or other black and white tasks? Then you can easily find contractors in China, India or other cost-advantageous countries for your jobs. Looking for super premium high-quality contractors in your native tongue? Upwork is great for that too.

What do you dislike?

They used to charge a flat 10% rate to the contractor (but made that very apparent to the employer so you knew exactly how much the contractor was making, which is good) but now the pricing structure is different and more confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Conduct a video call (if possible) with each one of the contractors who applied for your job. I also recommend asking a question in your job posting that requires a decent bit of thought such as "based on the initial requirements I've provided in the job description, do you have any ideas for how we can improve X process?" This will really help you vet out the bad from the potentially really good.

Finding really affordable contractors to complete anything from high-level business coaching/consulting to talented graphic designers to data entry specialists. Upwork handles it all for me.

Upwork review by <span>Jorge G.</span>
Jorge G.

"UPWORK WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY AND TIME FOR PERSONAL AND BUSINESS PROJECTS"

What do you like best?

I´ve been using Upwork for a while, and I have to say that, among its competitors, it’s the best hiring platform (even better than Freelancer, which a reviewed previously). There are many things I like about Upwork: it´s really easy to post a job on Upwork, and it´s free (you only pay a 2% fee if you hire someone, which is superb); this way, I can easily hire freelancers to outsource some of the tasks I have to do, and for the best price. Also, I love the feature that Upwork offers, which matches the best candidates to my job, with a blue legend (Best-Match). Moreover, I really enjoy its videochat, which allows me to hold my meetings with freelancers directly on Upwork´s site or app. Most of the time, you´ll love using Upwork.

What do you dislike?

Something unpleasant happened to me a few months ago: I paid a client and she he didn´t perform the job correctly, so I asked for a refund. Upwork supposedly refunded the amount but it was never reflected on my bank account. This really disappointed me, as I was a complete Upwork fan, and now I hate that there´s something I dislike about this service. I have to say that this has happened to me only once (because I had to ask for a refund only one time) so I think it might be a mistake that can happen to anyone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork people, please, you have a great platform out there. It would be great if you could place no “downwards” limit on the hourly working price or on fixed contracts, as this might benefit many user clients and freelancers.

The answer to this is simple: outsourcing. As I study and work from home, I don´t have a lot of time available, and that´s why I always need someone to help me develop and finish my projects. Here´s where Upwork comes to the the rescue, because it helps me find the most qualified people, at the best prices (and even at the price I can pay). I think that using Upwork is one of the best things that has happened to me, and I´m not exaggerating.

Upwork review by <span>Nidhi S.</span>
Nidhi S.

"The best"

What do you like best?

All the features in upwork are the best. Few of them are:

. Great ease of use

. Best possible maintenance and customer support.

. Payment protect gives you an extra push to choose upwork to work as a freelancer.

. User interface is very good.

. The feedback system is good.

. One can work from anywhere and any time.

. You can work for anyone in the world.

What do you dislike?

. The job pricing is very much reduced. Though it was mentioned a couple of times to upwork through feedback and suggestions, there are still lots of jobs that are being under paid. Few freelancers work for much lower prices which is reducing the market value.

. The payment from upwork takes around two weeks from the review time which is too much.

These two are my only concerns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend every one to use upwork. It is the best platform I have come across in my career for home based employment. One can search the job which he is comfortable with and in which one is best at. This is a great opportunity for all the people who are looking to work from home at their preferred timings.

I do all my projects through upwork.

. I can work in my comfortable timings.

. I can work on projects which best suites me.

. I need not worry about the payment because upwork will be taking care of it, i just need to track the time.

Upwork review by <span>M B.</span>
M B.

"Best freelance site"

What do you like best?

There are many things I love about upwork. It is the best in this world for me. To mention the technical best qualities of upwork, below are few...

.The first one would obviously be that you can earn work through upwork.

.They provided a startup job if you could not earn a job for a particular period of time.

.Payment protection is another great feature in upwork.

.The interview before hiring helps both the clients and freelancers.

.The time tracking software and the work dairy are great and a best way for a honest contract.

.It provides both fixed price jobs and hourly contracts.

.The pricing standards and the expert level calculations are just wonderful.

.The upwork support is the best i have come across.

.Job search criteria is also good.

.The features like, save the job, save the search are also good and flexible.

.The refund option, withdraw facilities are just amazing.

What do you dislike?

I could not say that i dislike this, but this is the only feature that keeps bugging me.

Once the work or the contract is ended, and the payment is made, the payment is kept under upwork escrow for a week after the payment is made by the client. And then, from there, to get the money credited into the bank account, it takes another week. So on a whole, I cannot use the money for two weeks which is too much for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Upwork for all the freelancers. This is the best online site with the least possible fraudsters. The rest of the sites have lots of frauds and less number of real clients.

So i strongly recommend freelancers to try upwork.

.The major problem of earning money is solved.

.I need not work under someone for earning money.

.I can work from anywhere in the world.

.I can work on the projects which I choose to work.

.I can work at any comfortable hours for me.

.I can work for the clients outside my country.

.Wide range or working flexibility.

Upwork review by <span>Nick K.</span>
Nick K.

"Hit or miss platform for finding freelance work or hiring freelancers"

What do you like best?

Good time-keeping system and an exceptional diversity of projects available to freelancers.

What do you dislike?

The main issue I have with Upwork is the generally low level of pay/quality for most freelance projects. I've freelanced for years and rarely come across such low-ball offers for talent. Also not a fan of using bank accounts to verify U.S. location.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1) If you are a freelancer, don't waver on your hourly/per-project price. There will be projects and project leads who will pay your price; it might just require patience. 2) Don't use all of your connects early in the month. 3) Don't rely on Upwork alone to find freelance work due to the fee that they charge per hour/project.

Generating new leads for my freelancing business, networking with others who are working in the same space.

Upwork review by <span>Shahrooz F.</span>
Shahrooz F.

"Just another online freelancing service"

What do you like best?

I like the search functionality and its features such as "Recent Searches" and "Search Suggestions". The main core of these kind of web services is "Search" and it should works very well to keep the service alive and in Upwork it works fine.

What do you dislike?

After working a bit with Upwork, I found that sometimes people who post a job has no knowledge / idea about what they are looking for, thus their criteria on a project is not correct. For example, someone is looking for a mobile app developer to develop a complicated app (based on the his description) but their criteria is €200 for an expert which doesn't match with the project! So, I believe there should be some guides and hints for these people there.

I believe there is a big need of a strict pricing policy for freelancers and employers based on their experience, the amount of job they want, etc. Although, having this kind of policy needs more manpower and some manual controls over the contracts and profiles but I think it helps Upwork to stay above other competitors in this way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is good and as I mentioned, if you are a freelancer, you need to have an account there too.

Its a service for freelancers to find remote, temporary or permanent jobs around the world! So, if you are a freelancer Upwork is one of the websites you need to signup for.

Upwork review by <span>Jann S.</span>
Jann S.

"Good to find freelance if used right"

What do you like best?

I can work on projects I would never hear of. Once you're a top rated person in your area, UPworK actually send projects to you to consider. The key think if you use it it, only apply for PAYMENT VERIFIED assignments. That means the money is already in escrow. The other think I like is that I can be sure of getting paid. That's worth something too.

What do you dislike?

The 20% fee is high, but only applies until you reach $500 in billing PER CLIENT. Then it drops to 10% which IMO is worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick the clients you reach out to carefully and it will be worth your time. Don't apply for everything.

Getting new clients. I'm a writer and brand strategist, and I've created relationships with some perfect clients.

Upwork review by <span>Jainam C.</span>
Jainam C.

"Great Way for hiring developers"

What do you like best?

You get to hire developers from all field just like freelancer and is also one of the competitive service which provide similar services,but the best part of upwork is its payment transparency and low commission cost.

What do you dislike?

Variety is not available and chat option should also have option for video call which will make it much good in this segment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Preferable option for hiring freelancers because it has some advanced features which are required on this platform and is also user friendly and secured.

We use up work on daily basis for getting our work done which might be as small as data entry or data formatting to as large as a part of project for which we lack expertise and so we rely on upwork for the same.

Upwork review by <span>Cheryl W.</span>
Cheryl W.

"UpWorks is a great tool for hiring freelancers"

What do you like best?

The rating system ensures that the quality of work is known to all.

What do you dislike?

Every now and then the site is down for maintenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is a great tool for hiring freelancers. The profiles include bios, portfolios, testing, and ratings to help you assess the skill level. it is also easy to hire and communicate with freelancers. You don't need to hire someone to handle bookkeeping since paying freelancers is easy and the reporting is very thorough. Customer support is great too. If there is a dispute, they will work hard to help you resolve the issue.

I have been hiring freelancers for about 6 years...and I have gained clients for myself. It has saved me time and made the process very easy for me. I especially enjoy the record keeping that it saves me.

Upwork review by <span>Aakash G.</span>
Aakash G.

"Best site for hiring freelancer"

What do you like best?

Upwork is best for outsourcing as well as hiring freelancers. It has good GUI and easy to work with. We can easily find a correct person to do our job. From freelancing point of view also it is very useful as many clients are available for work and one can different type of work here.

What do you dislike?

Chat window has some problem. It is getting stuck in between. Refresh time is slow and my payment has been failed several times. More details of freelancer should be given to client for better understanding of a person they are hiring

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend upwork for hiring freelancer.

We are hiring freelancers for doing some company's project

Upwork review by Administrator

"Upwork Effective Communication Tool"

What do you like best?

Upwork has proven to be an effective method of communication with support staff under contract. I am able to assign and communicate specifics of projects to our support team overseas and get real-time updates as to how the projects are coming along. It has definitely increased our ability to get projects done faster.

What do you dislike?

With Upwork, I don't like the limited communication methods. It's basically only typing back and forth and uploading attachments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are plenty of qualified individuals with the skill-set you need out there. Upwork is a great place to discover and communicate with those individuals.

I work with 3 different individuals overseas and Upwork allows us to communicate in regards to projects even on different time zones. We often have more work than time and Upwork allows us to delegate parts of the projects while tackling the aspects that are most important ourselves.

Upwork review by <span>Sophia B.</span>
Sophia B.

"Easy to pick up the good one"

What do you like best?

Its really so quick to post a job to tell to all about my project. look through profiles, overlook, and proposals then interview to applicant. Honest i like it .

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i have problems with website is down for service. But its not always. General really not so bad how u can think about it. I'm not so bad person to dislike that software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful and secure software. You will have option for hiring freelancers because it has some advanced peculiarities which are required on this platform and is also user friendly .

Good to find really acceptable contractors to complete anything from exalted business consulting to great graphic designers to data entry experts.Works so well.

Upwork review by <span>Carla M.</span>
Carla M.

"Fantastic for Freelancers"

What do you like best?

I love that Upwork allows freelancers to find work and gain experience for their portfolio. I also love the way they outline all of their policies, especially for payments. Another thing I like about the site is that they show verified payments and job hires for the people hiring you. As a freelancer it makes you feel safer that you will actually get paid for the job you do, rather than some sites where you get scammed.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that negative comments have to remain on your profile even when you have attempted to fix the issue with the "employer" and they refused to try.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a place to earn some extra cash, or a decent stream of income as a Freelancer, this is a great place to do it. Depending on how much time you have to devote to work, you can earn gas money or pay all of your bills....and build a nice portfolio along the way!

I am able to gain more work as freelance writer and build my portfolio in order to secure even better work both online and offline.

Upwork review by Agency
Agency

"Connecting professionals together"

What do you like best?

Upwork connects professionals all over the world together at one platform. The platform has brought us a variety range of people that will help us with complex issues; like developing Woocommerce plug-ins or setting up Varnish on our servers. The possibility are endless and the platform is quite easy to use. The mobile and desktop apps (available for Android, iOS, MacOS and Windows) are as intuitive as Whatsapp and are a pleasure to work with.

What do you dislike?

The fact I dislike about Upwork; is the rating-system. The platform lists freelancers based on their experience, price, rating and availability. Each negative review, will put the freelancer to the bottom of the list. The competition under each other is blustery.

Collaboration with different professionals across the world, that help us with a variety of problems like developing Woocommerce plug-ins and setting up Varnish on our servers.

Upwork review by <span>Elisa M.</span>
Elisa M.

"A really great way to outsource work"

What do you like best?

UpWork makes it easy to hold both the contractor and the company accountable for the contract that has been agreed upon. UpWork doesn't seem to play favorites either. They offer protections for both sides.

What do you dislike?

The fee structure has become much more complicated, and UpWork's interface really doesn't help with that. It used to be a flat 10% fee, and anytime you wanted to give a bonus or decide an hourly rate, you could either enter in the value that the contractor would receive OR the value that the company would pay (including the fee). They've since removed this feature, and the company can only enter in the amount that they are paying. This means that the company needs to manually do the math for how much the contractor is actually receiving. And then UpWork changed their structure so that the percentage of the fee varies, depending on how many hours the contractor has worked for the company. It's overly complicated, especially considering that it is for such a core feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

UpWork really does a great job taking the stress out of managing a contractor relationship. There are a lot of options for payment and accountability.

Our company wanted to hire software developers overseas, and UpWork made this possible. Even though UpWork mostly uses a contractor model, we decided to use a full-time, 40-hour model week with our developers. We are able to automatically pay them weekly for the week that they do, as well as submit bonuses for things like paid holidays and flex time. The Work Diary helps us manage accountability, especially considering we are not in the same building, let alone the same country! We love UpWork because it takes minimal setup and then it just works automatically.

Upwork review by <span>Ian H.</span>
Ian H.

"Not amazing, but better than anything else"

What do you like best?

Upwork's terms and conditions are clear cut and their user interface is slick and easy to navigate. They've got a regular stream of high quality job postings that can easily be filtered or searched through. Bids are hidden (unless you're a pro member; I am not), which I think grants incentives for asking for real-world wages. When you can't see that other people are bidding ridiculously low amounts, it's not as disheartening and doesn't encourage a race to the bottom.

The community is good: many active forum posters and quick response times from team members. Everyone is kind, excepting of course the occasional self-important client. Chat between freelancer and client works well and doesn't require being on the site to use, as emails are sent promptly and can be responded to in lieu of typing in the site's chat box. This makes responding to clients when I only have my phone with me a breeze.

Because freelancers are given a limited number of "Connects" a month—basically a ration of how many jobs can be applied to—there is less of a reason to shotgun job prospects but rather to carefully craft bids to clients on an individual level. At first blush it seems restrictive, but it, I imagine, helps tremendously with the quality of the site.

The software Upwork has for tracking time works well on Linux and guarantees that an hour worked is an hour paid. This is probably my favorite aspect of the site, because you don't end up thrall to your client's payment schedule, even if they go AWOL. I have never not been paid by Upwork, and I have always received my payment in a timely manner via ACH transfers.

Upwork does these things very, very well.

What do you dislike?

Upwork recently bumped their freelancer fee to %20 of earned income from what was once %10. This means that the amount of money made has dropped pretty dramatically. This fee, 20%, is staggered and will drop depending on how much money you've made from a client, which means that long-term contracts and relationships are prioritized over finding new clients. While I still do quite a bit of work on Upwork, I have almost entirely stopped looking for new work and only do things for clients who reach out to me personally. The increased fee was damning to Upwork, particularly to non-Western freelancers who are already working for pittances and will take much more effort to reach lower fee tiers. Freelancers railed against the fee increase, but the company promised that it would benefit freelancers in the long run. I have seen no evidence of this, and many in the community feel it was just a money grab.

The site also experiences a lot of downtime during normal US working hours, as you can see from https://status.upwork.com/ Much of this is caused by scheduled maintenance, but the frequency and length of these maintenance periods are frustrating.

There is also a clear lack of support for Linux-using freelancers. I said earlier that the time tracking app works well, but that's because whatever non-Upwork entity maintains the Upwork time tracker package in the Arch User Repository has already set up a way to get around what was a pretty serious bug. For months Linux users with newer versions of SSL libraries couldn't use Upwork because it was dynamically linked to an older version. Support only ever referenced the community's solutions, which involved jumping through hoops by downgrading software or installing multiple libraries on the same OS. The developers behind the software did not appear to care or exist; we never saw status updates on the bug that affected a great deal of us. I am still not sure if the issue was ever resolved on the official Upwork download page.

Freelancers have the option of taking tests to show their prowess in certain domains—English, JavaScript, Unix shell scripting, etc.—but the questions are all multiple choice, oftentimes outdated, and, of course, can easily be gamed by anyone who cares enough to do so. They are in effect worthless and can't be trusted to really show any sort of competency in any aspect of the freelancer's abilities, but because they're portrayed prominently on the freelancer's profile, there's almost a ritualistic need to take the tests to, at the very least, look as good as other freelancers. In my opinion, these badges should be done away with entirely.

Finally, and this isn't a criticism of the software per se, but of the community, clients are frequently sole proprietors and small businesses; they're not expecting to pay much, and 90% of the time they want something done in WordPress. Upwork might be good for getting your feet wet with the freelancing world, but for highly skilled Western consultants it's harder to find a competitive wage and even harder to find something more interesting than WordPress.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is a merger of both oDesk and Elance and has a much more solid foundation that more recent competitors. It's probably best for finding more entry level work. Although some clients request experts, few of them are willing to pay an expert's rate, so you may need to look elsewhere depending on your level of expertise.

Upwork has helped me garner a handful of clients with long term work that has helped support myself and my family. It is by far the best freelancing website I've used in terms of stability and community. Finding clients is easy, much easier than cold calling companies for work or trawling Craigslist's gigs section.

Upwork review by <span>Jessica O.</span>
Jessica O.

"Quickly connects freelancers with clients while managing the little stuff"

What do you like best?

Upwork has a clean, easy-to-use interface that has been one of my favorite freelance job platforms so far. It's very fast to set up an account and start applying for jobs. Unlike some other platforms, you get credits automatically that can be used to apply for jobs without paying a fee. Upwork takes a portion of the earnings as the fee but it is much nicer to pay after you have work instead of paying a fee just to apply for jobs.

The desktop timer is especially useful because it helps you stay on task by recording time spent working on the project and capturing screenshots to show you are actually working. Some people might find this a bit intrusive but I find it helps me really focus, and Upwork provides a payment guarantee as long as you use the tool to show your reported time is accurate.

The detailed search options are great for browsing through categories that are relevant to your experience or for searching for more detailed keywords to find projects. Payout is fast and simple, and Upwork manages the hassle of invoicing, collecting payment, etc. so you don't have to. I find their software to be fun to work with and that the small fee is more than worth not having to deal with all the admin and accounting details myself.

What do you dislike?

If you want to work from a device that doesn't support the Upwork downloadable interface, such as a mobile tablet, you can't use the time log tool and Upwork doesn't provide their payout guarantee. I work from a Chromebook and find this to be a big stumbling block for me as my options are either to only work from my desktop at home (and part of the appeal of freelance writing is working from anywhere!) or to do the work but risk running into problems if the client doesn't follow through on payment or disputes the hours worked. I haven't had this problem yet but I would take on more work from Upwork if I could use it on any device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up an account and browse through for some simple jobs to test the waters. It doesn't take much time and you don't need to invest a lot into filling out your profile until you're sure the site is a good fit.

This takes care of invoicing, time tracking, and payment between freelancers and clients while keeping your information secure and protecting you from scams or from clients trying to get work for free. It also helps you find and connect with new clients.

Upwork review by <span>Vinit P.</span>
Vinit P.

"Average Experience with upwork"

What do you like best?

A young and growing company providing good platform to work with many good projects.Good work is recognized and rewarded. And some companies also provides good benefits. A lot of opportunities to learn new things and work on it.

What do you dislike?

Management is not so good. Full pressure to employees. Some times it provides very cheap hourly price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the good platform to get your work done as well as do some extra work

We can get more employees or freelancer from this sites. Some times there are very good freelancers that provide best services.

Upwork review by <span>Rajiv M.</span>
Rajiv M.

"Best platform to hire best professional for your company"

What do you like best?

It provide a good platform to hire and work with best professional of any field that you want from all around the world.It has large number of freelancers and clients .It also has online payment services that is very secure and very easy to use,

What do you dislike?

It has very high commission fee .Some times it is not stable.No verification for identity so there may be fake profile. Customer Support service is very poor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best platform to do freelancing and hire and work with best professional from your field

Easily find employees for the project and got best professional around the world.

Upwork review by <span>Odette B.</span>
Odette B.

"Great place to work, if you're willing to put in the time"

What do you like best?

What I like about Upwork is that it protects both the client and the freelancer. Clients only pay for work done, and freelancers can rest assured that they will get paid on time.

I appreciate the fact that there is a wide variety of opportunities available, from Entry level to Expert Level, it;s all about how you present yourself to potential clients.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the practice of clients creating these intricate job descriptions and wanting to pay $5 or less per hour. As far as I see it, once a client says they want an intermediate or expert freelance, they should not be allowed to pay under $10.

Asking for Advanced qualifications but paying less than minimum wage is ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Put in the work and build your profile. This is a one-time thing and you won't have to look at it again.

Apply for jobs that have clear descriptions. This would indicate that the client knows exactly what they are looking for and not just shopping around for the cheapest available talent.

I was able to walk away from the 9-5 treadmill and launch my freelance career by using Upwork (then elance.com) to find clients who i would never cross paths with otherwise.

Upwork review by <span>Richard J. M.</span>
Richard J. M.

"Upwork for help with different tasks"

What do you like best?

Wide range of talent to satisfy all requests at various pricing.

What do you dislike?

Bombardment of requests for work from all over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you vet your candidates, Many claim to know everything but do not. Make sure they are responsive, many are half way around the world and many not get back to you if you need them.

When I need help I have found many qualified candidates on the site. Many are from other countries so they get work done while I sleep.

Upwork review by <span>David P.</span>
David P.

"Great job market"

What do you like best?

Lots of free test, to improve the chances of getting a Job. I also like invitations to direct interviews. That has been my greatest opportunity to get projects. Integration with social networks.

Constant service improvements.

Better than other services availables online.

What do you dislike?

A greater number of freelancers for the same jobs, the amount of payment have dropped significantly.

No more dislike for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Investigate what is the best hourly rate and make enough test, all they can

As a graphic designer offers the opportunity for customers to solve some point visual communication project without the need he has to hire a professional area for a long time.

Getting customers from anywhere in the world.

Upwork review by <span>Donald R.</span>
Donald R.

"My UpWork Review for 2018"

What do you like best?

Number of jobs posted there, lot of opportunity. Easy to use, lot's of tools for the Developer.

What do you dislike?

That you have to be "ranked" based on your "UpWork" Developer-Client experience to qualify for 90% of the postings there. Kinda hard to get ranked if you cannot get any work due to the "Rating System" that they use. I've been a Developer/Programmer since 1994, and am as good as most out there, but I cannot get any work that is remotely worth doing due to the rating system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use if no other option because if you are a new user - you will have to work for "Pennies on the Dollar" just to get your rating up.

"Occasionally" getting more exposure to the Tech world out there and Financial Income.

"My UpWork Experience"

What do you like best?

Upwork is great platform for freelancers. You can easily find contractors. The UI is great and easy to understand, there are jobs you can see around on your feed. The good thing is that you can see which profile is verified. You can work for anyone. You can find lot of offers out there.

What do you dislike?

There are lot of jobs that are being underpaid. Also, the pricing structure is confusing and I really don't like it. I wish they could go back to the previous one where they take only 10% of the money. There are lot of freelancer who work for low price and this affect the others.

I can search for a projects that are suitable for me. I can provide feedback to employers, I can set my own time.

Upwork review by <span>kartik b.</span>
kartik b.

"Best platform for beginners"

What do you like best?

New job can be found and more opportunities are offered to talented person. Recruiters get best out of people. Also management of all things are done well using upwork. Transaction of money is securely done. Upwork provides a reliable platform for both recruiters and workers.

What do you dislike?

Chating experience is not so good. Authentication of recruiters should be increased. Interview quetions are not up to the mark always.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend upwork to those who wants a team for project

We are using recruitment procedures from upwork for our project. It provides a good platform.

Upwork review by <span>Niharika J.</span>
Niharika J.

"Your home is the new workstation"

What do you like best?

This platform offers you a wide range of projects. There are a number of projects for people of vivid educational background. Not only that but projects are small term as well as long term. One can earn a decent payout just working from home

What do you dislike?

Now this point is very personal opinion. My husband's account was suddenly closed for no apparent reason. We tried reaching them but not a proper response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do give it a shot. One of the largest platform for freelancers

Hiring people for SEO and content development. I even take projects of training and website building through it.

Upwork review by <span>Pavel R.</span>
Pavel R.

"Biggest freelance platform."

What do you like best?

Upwork has good interface, mobile app, ability to connect with clients on the way.

What do you dislike?

Upwork has HUGE commission 20% on each client up to $500. Upwork is overloaded with price dumpers. If you are new to this platform chances you will get good project are equal to 1%.

Biggest problem of upwork is that good client is coming to platform, chooses someone who offer low price and get's low quality service. Meanwhile nice freelancers and agencies are staying with nothing just because people are hooked by low price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is sowewhat good platform. But huge commission, unresponsive clients, overload with price dumpers makes experience with upwork painful.

If you are great at the work you do - you can try upwork.

Upwork review by <span>Corey B.</span>
Corey B.

"Upwork hiring review"

What do you like best?

A wide range of users all over the world make it easy to post jobs and find capable candidates to interview for contract & freelance work. A multitude of skillsets to match most any projects needs.

What do you dislike?

A lot of new or unqualified candidates, they do a good job of recommending users though. I wish I could find more US based freelancers. For some projects overseas support is fine, but others I need to have them interact with a client and having overseas schedules and language barriers can make us look cheap

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in need of a staffing solution wether to fill a gap during a heavy workload or a specific skillset, I have always been able to find a worker that can get the job done.

Wether we are just understaffed for a project or in need of a skill set we don't have in house Upwork (formerly odesk) has been a great solution for temporary contract based work when needed

"Upwork for Freelancers"

What do you like best?

Upwork is a great way for Freelancers to find work and connect with new clients. Its large user base means there are plenty of jobs available on a daily basis across a wide spectrum of freelance industries. Upwork also provides payment protection and help with dispute resolution. Payment can be made directly into your bank account.

What do you dislike?

Since this site made the transition from Elance to Upwork, I have found there to be a lot of annoying changes and options that are no longer available to users. Job listings do not update with current bid information, so you have to click on each individual job to see how many current bids are on the project. If you are on page 5 of a job search, when you click on the job description itself, then try to go back to the page you were searching, you are returned to page one. It's little things like this that make the navigation of the site irritating.

Beyond all of that, my biggest complaint is that the site takes 20% of your profit. Elance only took 10%.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is still in a transition phase (from Elance) and has quite a few issues to still address. But their staff do their best to be helpful and come up with solutions to any problems you may face.

Upwork has allowed me to expand my client portfolio and the type of work I do as an editor and writer. It also has allowed me to keep track of time worked on projects more efficiently with the time tracker app.

Upwork review by <span>Michael A.</span>
Michael A.

"Lots of competition"

What do you like best?

I do like the fact that you get free credits each month to bid on projects. There are a plethora of different jobs posted online and often. It's easy to submit a proposal and to track the status of that proposal. The skills tests are a nice touch even though you might want to do a bit of brushing up on the "technical" way to do something in a design program before taking the test. We all have our "shortcuts" and that may or may not be the "correct" answer. :)

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, upwork has a lot of competition on the design side and many of the projects are proposed at a very minimal rate/hr. The other thing is that it's sometimes difficult to bid on a project based on a design brief without more knowledge and there isn't a "need more information" option for the bidding price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep trying! The word on the intrawebs is that once you've received and completed one job ... it much more likely that you will be hired for other jobs. Writing a good cover letter that stands out and having quality links/samples of your work on your profile increase your chances of getting hired as well.

I browse the "find jobs" areas often when things are slow. I've submitted a few proposals but haven't gotten a bid or interview yet. Still hoping that someone will take a chance on a new designer to the network.

Upwork review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

"A solid/established place to go after freelance work"

What do you like best?

Upwork provides a very easy way to communicate with clients through their website once you have been approved for a project. They make it very easy to search for projects and to set up a feed based on multiple searches.

What do you dislike?

I have found that there is too much overseas competition and, therefore, sometimes ridiculous expectations as far as project cost and expectations. In addition, if you are new to Upwork, you will find it tough to get established and get work; a catch 22 in that you need to acquire clients for the experience potential clients are looking for but in too many cases you will lose out on project bids for lack of experience. It would be nice if they took a smaller percentage of the project cost for their fee as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is a great place to look for freelance work, especially if it's not your only source of income. They make it easy to bid on lots of projects quickly. I highly recommend making a "complete" profile and being willing to stick with it as it will take some time to get work from them if you are new. It is possible to generate income through them without subscribing to their paid tier as well.

When I first left my last full time job to freelance as a web developer, Upwork allowed me to bid on several types of projects and once I started getting work through them, I was able to easily schedule it in a way that didn't overwhelm me and allowed me to deliver. I have also moved a few client relationships established there outside of Upwork, work with them directly, and now avoid the Upwork fee with those clients.

Upwork review by <span>Therin M.</span>
Therin M.

"Badly declined since the merger, but still the best online solution . . . for now"

What do you like best?

The number of clients; the ability to check clients' past feedback. It is possible to find high-quality clients on Upwork; I've made several great connections through the service.

The payment guarantee and escrow services are also nice features, but the truth is, for most projects, I require payment in advance, so I don't need the safety net those features provide.

What do you dislike?

Elance and oDesk were both decent sites. I got many of my early freelancing jobs through oDesk, and I used to highly recommend the site to everyone I knew who wanted to get into freelance writing.

Sadly, since the merger, Upwork has gone downhill fast. Services have decreased, and fees have increased. I'm seeing an increasing number of scams. I've been spending less and less time connecting with clients through the site, and more time working on forging connections through other mediums.

A few of the most noticeable problems:

* Extremely high fees on small projects (under $500)

* Poorly designed interface; lacks basic features like the ability to download message history

* Consistent problems with uptime

* Job recommendations so deficient as to be useless

* Terrible customer service

* Slow to respond to fraud alerts, even when backed by strong evidence

* Lack of transparent feedback mechanism for both clients and freelancers

* Inferior to its predecessors (oDesk and Elance)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Currently, Upwork remains the largest online marketplace I've seen for editorial services. I still use it sometimes, though I prefer to get new clients through word of mouth.

A few bits of advice to make things run smoothly:

1) Calculate the Upwork fees into your prices.

2) Don't underbid. Upwork has a lot of lowballer clients. Don't cater to them; bid what you're worth.

3) Check client history and feedback carefully.

4) Write your own contracts (superseding the standard Upwork one) and run any such contracts by a lawyer.

Upwork review by <span>Kuan S.</span>
Kuan S.

"Quality contractors in a user-friendly online platform"

What do you like best?

Ability to conduct end-to-end project and contractor management all on platform.

What do you dislike?

Video conferencing platform a bit unstable. User interface can be improved; the distinction between Saved Freelancers, Archived Freelancers, Declined Invites, and the various job/proposal/message screens can be confusing.

Sourcing experienced contractors to perform various marketing & lead generation projects. Benefits include being able to evaluate multiple candidates simultaneously, hire, project manage & administer contract all without leaving the platform.

As a lean nonprofit, we do not have the scale to engage HR or recruiting service providers. Upwork enables regular business managers to self-serve the task of finding good talent to help with project needs.

Upwork review by <span>Jessica H.</span>
Jessica H.

"Great place to find freelance work if you have skills!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can trust Upwork and that I will always be paid. They put money in escrow to ensure that you will get paid. I like that they have skill tests you can take to prove your worth and make it more likely to be hired.

I have had decent luck getting hired through Upwork and working short contracts through their website. I've always been paid, communication has been great, and I have built up a profile that gets attention.

What do you dislike?

You have to compete with people across the globe so many employers choose their workers based on a lower bid. It's frustrating to compete with people who will work for $3/hour when you only want a reasonable $8-10 to compensate for your work which is sometimes skilled.

I wish that we could filter out employers that only want native English speakers. I think that would make it a bit easier to compete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Build up a solid profile, take tests, don't bid too low trying to compete with foreign users, identify your strengths and be ready to prove them to potential employers. Write a perfect pitch for your cover letters.

If you're hiring people, just try out the service with a quick project you have that needs doing. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Upwork allows me to find freelance gigs to help pay the bills when blogging doesn't make much money. I have also made some nice business contacts by working for a fellow blogger.

In addition, Upwork allows me to hire contractors to do work for me that I am not skilled enough to do such as fixing a problem with Javascript on my website. It's a great place to find work or to hire contractors.

Upwork review by <span>Brandon W.</span>
Brandon W.

"A good place to find work, as long as you work hard to get it"

What do you like best?

It has no real expensive costs and is great for those looking for freelancing work. I really like the style and look of Upwork, and the communication system is great to use. It is a product I look forward to keep using, and I can't wait to see how they plan to improve it in the future.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a little awkward at times, and the response time (both from the support team and the server) can be very very slow at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using Upwork. They have a good thing going, and they make it easy to communicate to individuals or agencies about forming a business relationship. I don't believe they have any override fees either. If they do, they are small enough that they make it worth it. Definitely a great switch from Freelancer.com.

I use Upwork to find clients of many different industries. It is one of the many ways I make money on the side, and I thoroughly enjoy finding work through them. It is easy to respond to potential clients and a great way to make an extra buck on the weekends.

User in Writing and Editing

"Upwork has allowed me to build a career as a freelancer"

What do you like best?

With Upwork, I've been able to grow my business as a freelance writer, slowly but surely. Before using UpWork, I had zero freelance writing experience. But with this platform, I've been able to build an impressive portfolio while working with a wide variety of clients and projects.Because of this, I've had a chance to really hone in my skills and identify the work I excel at most.

I also like how I am frequently contacted by recruiters who have found jobs fitting my profile and work experience. It gives me a competitive advantage while looking for new clients.

What do you dislike?

At this point, I can't say I dislike much with UpWork. It's easy to find clients, and to message with them to negotiate projects, rates, etc. The pay schedule is also clear and I've never had any issues on that front.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend creating an attractive and irresistible profile that shows off your strengths and what you can offer to the client. There's lots of competition out there, but finding the right client isn't so much about you finding them as it is about them finding you.

I'm growing my freelance business and recommend this platform to other budding freelancers. My freelance writing career has been in the making over the course of 2 years, despite lots of traveling and transitioning. And UpWork gives me the freedom to keep steady work even if I'm on the go.

Upwork review by <span>Adriana R.</span>
Adriana R.

"Great place to get clients that keep coming back"

What do you like best?

I like how it shows immediately your "grade" to potential clients and gives the opportunity for your past clients to leave a review.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how the pay is usually pretty low in the beginning, despite your credentials. But once you have experience on the site, it changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely sign up on Upwork for any type of freelancing that you want or that you can give. It is a great resource for your work to get your feet off the ground and to make all kinds of profit.

I work on Upwork as a freelance writer. I have gotten many clients for my business and have gained a lot of profit from it.

Upwork review by User in Information Services
User in Information Services

"Race to the bottom for wages / no vetting of freelancers"

What do you like best?

It has brought me some good clients. The customer service is very good.

What do you dislike?

Freelancers are not vetted very well and so the quality can be difficult to discern when choosing a freelancer, which means the best freelancers are competing against people with lower skill sets willing to do the job at a below market rate. I find that about 30% of my work has been re-doing the poor quality work of other freelancers there. If you are working from a low wage country, then it can be to your advantage, but those of us in industrialized countries may find it challenging to get paid a fair wage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a freelancer, you will probably need to significantly discount your services for a while to get some clients in order to get some good reviews. I have not figured out the best way to get paid a fair wage yet on this system.

Mainly business planning for technology companies. I have also hired people to help me with some of the work load.

Upwork review by <span>Christopher B.</span>
Christopher B.

"Upwork shuns quality writers"

What do you like best?

I like absolutely nothing about my brief experience at Upwork.

What do you dislike?

Upwork rejected my application. I have superior writing capabilities and access to online databases like EBSCO Host. I could have brought excellent writing and content creation skills to the platform yet they rejected my application because they have too many writers. How is that possible? Why not let employers decide? I guess I should have lied and showed myself to be less capable of delivering quality writing and online content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't waste your time! You will not be happy with the results.

None. I wanted to make some extra money using their platform and they reject me for a generic and vague reason.

Upwork review by User in Internet

"Very poor customer service"

What do you like best?

It's not a bad website to freelance on and pretty easy to figure out the website, it's nice that screenshot's are automatically taken.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. It has been absolutely horrible. I've been trying to get in contact via messaging, email and phone and nothing is getting done. I'm not getting helped and keep having automatic emails being sent right back to me 30 seconds later after I've emailed them. I had to call THREE seperate times claiming I'm going to get a call back once the "department" messages them back. I received NO calls or any help of anykind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think they're customer service is what really sets them back.

Being able to work with the company I need to to get my work done.

Upwork review by <span>Gabriel C.</span>
Gabriel C.

"If you have the skills... It's The best freelancing marketplace around"

What do you like best?

There's nothing you can't do after you sign up to UpWork, If you have the skills, the time, and the patience, you're gonna be able to find your remote dream job, or just a side income doing what you like, and what you know, and improving yourself in the process.

What do you dislike?

I hate the fact that's somewhat difficult to get your first chance. But I assume that's just what happens every career, It's difficult to start, and get your name out there, but once you manage to get something going, you're gonna be able to find more work quickly, and get connected to more opportunities.

I hate the fact that the two most used withdrawal methods are not working together (Paypal and Payoneer) but that's not Upwork's fault.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go creating profiles willy-nilly, you need to have certified skills, and take as many tests as you can, on top of that it's mandatory to be able to communicate properly in english, and be a responsible and reliable person in order to improve your reputation.

It helps me improve my income, but also improving my skills and connecting to new opportunities. It also enhances your competitiveness, because you realize that you are running for the same job than hundreds or even thousands of people from around the globe, so you need to bring your A-Game everytime... Also... you need to polish your communication skills, specially your english grammar, and speaking, and you need to be disciplined.

Upwork review by <span>Daniel S.</span>
Daniel S.

"I have been using Upwork for a couple of months for Ghost writing"

What do you like best?

The quality of the freelancers I have used to far have been excellent.

My last project was completed very efficiently and was of excellent standard.

What do you dislike?

I have not had any negative experiences yet using Upwork. The last person I used to Ghostwrite my book was great! She was well educated and had a lot of experience in the field I was interested in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Upwork to anyone looking to make their life/ business a little easier.

Make sure you take some time to talk to different freelancer to make sure you get everything you need.

I am using to Upwork to help with my publishing business, so far it has been very helpful! I have been able to take on more work and complete more in a shorter period of time.

Upwork review by <span>Deborah D.</span>
Deborah D.

"Great Online Vendor Website"

What do you like best?

It has a nice interface and there are many options on the website. It is pretty easy to post jobs and find possible vendors. Communication with vendors is also easy through the site. The site can set up automatic e-mails to let you know if your vendor is messaging.

What do you dislike?

You need to pay if you are going to update one of your job postings, that includes canceling a job posting. Some of the labels and processes of the website aren't clear on first use. For example, invoicing can be done through the site, but if you are paying a vendor based on the time they log, then you should wait for the scheduled invoice, which happens on its own. Don't create your own payment separately or you might end up double-paying the vendor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure you know what your requirements are and have a definite scope of work as you post your jobs. A lot of contractors bid on your job without reading the specifics, so it can be a little bit time consuming to look through all of your options to find the best fit for your work.

We needed some short-term contractors who were less expensive than finding someone local. This site provided us an easy way to post our requirements and get a lot of bids from many different talented vendors. This allowed us to reduce costs on our content development.

Upwork review by <span>Esmitt R.</span>
Esmitt R.

"Incredible freelancer's site to hire/work"

What do you like best?

Upwork (before know as oDesk) is a huge company for freelance to hire or to work for project or by contract. There are several jobs to work, also it is integrate with Elance (another website) where the amount of jobs are increase. Then, to find a job..is a good place to start with.

Now, as employer, the proposal might be well-specific to obtain a good candidates. The candidates can passed test according a related field in technology/design/others.

Then, I am active in Upwork since years..and I obtained good work relations.

What do you dislike?

Despite the good projects and offers, sometimes projects are uploaded by "recruiters" whom found lower budgets getting high payload of job. Then, if the recruiter found a guy to achieve the job/project in other website..then the project is abandoned.. Which is very frustrating for possible workers.

Actually, this problem can happen in other similarly websites.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Well, in my opinion is an amazing site..Once of my favorites ones.

For employees: The app for the phone works very well. Also, the "find work" option always refresh and allows the option to check the newest jobs in the site

For employers: The workers are very reliable (in comparison with other sites) and the possibility to upload a project is very easy. The chat to talk with employees is very useful (allows upload documents, also using dropbox)

p.s.: Recently, the fees are increased (starting at 15%)

Short, medium or huge project can be solved in this website. The level of compromise of each worked is impressive. Particularly, I hired some graphics designer, also coding guys, and IT technical guys. In all cases, always get the proper results to my duties.

Upwork review by <span>Dave A.</span>
Dave A.

"Best place to find freelancers "

What do you like best?

So many ways to get quality customized services and for relatively cheap. I also like that you can create your own job posting and how they recommend freelancers for your jobs. Also the reviews are legitimate and detailed allowing you find the perfect freelancer.

What do you dislike?

Not much to be honest. It can be a little challenging to navigate at the beginning.

Customized development work for my website.

Upwork review by <span>Terrence F.</span>
Terrence F.

"Upwork Review"

What do you like best?

Upwork allows you to find quality contractors with the specific skill sets that you are looking for from around the world. While using Upwork, I have created some great relationships with people outside of our business relationship.

What do you dislike?

The recent jincrease in services fees. I wish their was a better way to monitor and track the contractors even more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall, I'd say that if you are looking for service help with your business with a large variety of contractors from around the world, Upwork would be a great place to start.

Using Upwork allows me to solve the problem of finding skilled contractors at an affordable price which allows me to keep my prices competitive and fairly low for customers.

User in Writing and Editing

"A good option for quick money"

What do you like best?

I've had mostly a good experience using Upwork. I've connected with clients and kept up a steady stream of well-paying projects.

What do you dislike?

It does take a bit of time to find projects that don't completely lowball and undermine a professional's skill level. I'm a writer, and I pass right by all the job postings for 500-word blogs paying $20. That's offensive. I'd love to see these projects weeded out, with only true professionals looking for other true professionals to collaborate on meaningful work.

I also feel that Upwork's recent change in how much of a cut it takes out of each project is too high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't lowball yourself: Ask for the price you deserve based on your education, background and experience. The clients who appreciate your work and are willing to pay for your expertise *are* out there; it simply takes some digging to find them. If you're willing to dig -- as well as use Upwork's search feature to narrow down your search results -- you'll find those star clients.

The business problem I'm solving is finding clients and building a portfolio. I've been able to do that using Upwork, even finding repeat customers and building profitable relationships.

Upwork review by <span>Ricky A.</span>
Ricky A.

"Great Way to Find Work for Freelancing"

What do you like best?

Unlike many freelance job sites, UpWork doesn't charge you to apply for jobs. UpWork gets paid when you get paid and I love that. The platform and companion apps are clean and simple and help to keep communication with clients clear and simple.

What do you dislike?

Okay, filtering through jobs is a bit of a beating. Since you are competing with a lot of freelancers it may take a while before you find your right match.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try.

UpWork has connected me to several of my clients who I've had a long-lasting relationship with over the past 3 years.

Upwork review by User in Internet

"Easy to use and get in touch with freelancers"

What do you like best?

The interface is very friendly and the milestones set up is quite easy to use. Also allows multiple ppl in the company to use one company account which is super handy

What do you dislike?

I believe when hiring in upwork is sometimes hard to find the best fit as there are way to many candidates with very similar almost same qualifications. In order to solve this issue maybe it is possible to add more fields for various qualifications, certifications, and others

Finding freelancers for specific projects that could not be done in house.

Upwork review by <span>Purva B.</span>
Purva B.

"Best website for freelancers"

What do you like best?

It is easy to manage clients. Many good freelancers are available here. We can easily create a contract and pay through secure payment. Very user friendly and many features are good. Chatting with clients and freelancer is easy. Overall a wonderful experience

What do you dislike?

Chat window disappear while chatting. Some ranks should be given to freelancers based on the reviews of client so we can find the right person to our work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

yes i would recommend upwork for hiring freelancer

We are hiring freelancer for some work and till now we totally satisfied

Upwork review by <span>Nevlynn J.</span>
Nevlynn J.

"The best and most trusted way of hiring independent professionals"

What do you like best?

The huge base of potential professionals that can solve any task you might have. Also the way to get in contact by means of chatting through the platform saves the hassle of adding possible temp hires to your private/business contact channels.

What do you dislike?

I have not come across any issues with the product or service.

With marketing teams generally understaffed I use Upwork to hire professionals on a project by project base.

Upwork review by <span>Cayla L.</span>
Cayla L.

"Struggling Since Takeover from Elance"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Upwork is the sheer amount of jobs as well as Freelancers. I've been on both sides of the pool- both as client and Freelancer- and overall things run smoothly.

What do you dislike?

I was very used to Elance, whom Upwork took over. Their fee was 8.5%, Upwork's is 10%. However, they did honor the fees with the swap. As with any hiring tool, you have to be weary of scams, fraud, and poor workmanship. I wish there was a better vetting process for applicants. I also strongly dislike the way the "Work Diary" function works. For my clients, I do not have to document my work down to the minute. I much prefer just to enter a sum at the end of the week and bill my hours manually. I realize that doesn't work for every Freelancer or client, but it should be an option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering Upwork, I think it's a wise move. There is a mass of talent; just be sure to know what you're looking for before searching and hiring. You get what you pay for with most of them.

From a hiring perspective, we can find a wide variety of talent varying in expertise and ability. We are able to manage our budget and have a constant stream of prospectives.

Upwork review by <span>William B.</span>
William B.

"Freelancing to build my professional portfolio!"

What do you like best?

I like the security Upwork offers as far as protecting both the client and designer. I like the diary and time tracking features that keep you on target and on task. The communication ability is a nice feature as well.

File uploading, video conferencing and the ability to add multiple people into a conversation is a great set of feature when freelancing in design!

What do you dislike?

So far I have not logged enough hours to truly find what I dislike about Upwork. 10% off the top is a big punch when you are starting out as a freelancer trying to build credibility.

So far the mobile experience doesn't work well on my phone, but that may be due to the email client I use when I get the notifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you communicate well with your clients through upwork or another platform that you both decide. I tend to stick to upwork to keep everything on the books and protect your work.

This is a great platform to connect talent and clients. I have been able to apply to jobs that interest me and that I have direct experience in. This is a great way to build a portfolio/ resume by doing real world work and getting paid.

Upwork review by <span>Jessica L.</span>
Jessica L.

"Freelancer"

What do you like best?

Access to jobs many jobs, often with thorough information. Many exciting features including rating, skills test, and abiliy to show past work on your profile.

What do you dislike?

Lengthy application process for no response. Competing with freelancers who are working for little to none. Some of the applications are extremely lengthy for an extremely low wage. Hard to build up a profile with reviews and past work recommendations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't waste time applying unless you are willing to work for cheap.

Finding freelance work.

Upwork review by User

"Marketing Use of Upwork"

What do you like best?

It is generally easy to use and find what you need from your various outsourced workers

What do you dislike?

The interface is something a bit "busy" with too much information being displayed at once

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the financial tracking sections; it helps you understand how much you are paying to outsourced workers versus what is being produced internally.

We outsource some data analysis and writing tasks to workers on Upwork

Upwork review by <span>Mikko S.</span>
Mikko S.

"Solid source of skilled talent"

What do you like best?

Ease of navigation and ability to continue to work with the same consultants when you find a good one!

What do you dislike?

Posting the initial positions brought a lot of "fluff" candidates that needed to be weeded out

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for skilled experts in different fields and don't have people based locally or a network of freelancers to start with, this is a great place to find people - especially on the technical side.

Finding skilled temporary assistance

Upwork review by <span>Mohammad S.</span>
Mohammad S.

"Nice Platform but Expensive"

What do you like best?

Upwork is a nice platform with multiple integrated functions (Chat, Invoicing, etc.)

What do you dislike?

The extremely high cost of doing business on Upwork. As a freelancer, they take a LARGE cut of your profit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those who are bidding on projects as a freelancer, make sure to take into account that approximately 15-25% of your accrued profits will be taken by Upwork as a service fee.

Personal business / freelancing

Upwork review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I like not having to hassle with invoicing! Super easy method of payment at a minimal service fee; which goes down as you make money.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to time track on your phone.. or maybe there is and I haven’t figured it out!

This is allowing me to work contractually without the hassle of invoicing & providing the ease of finding new leads.

Upwork review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Large collection of freelancer but full of scammers with no recourse to action for clients"

What do you like best?

Lots of talent, easy to post a job and get candidates

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is any vetting process. Many freelancers here are scammers who will use your server for their own purposes for example, or just collect money for bad code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research and be prepared to lose money. There are some gems in the dust but it's a hard find.

Contractors

Upwork review by <span>Lee G.</span>
Lee G.

"Offers no guarantee of payment or legality of projects"

What do you like best?

It's a nice idea for freelancers - find clients/programmers online, work remotely.

What do you dislike?

UpWork does no ensure payment for work delivered, nor the legality of projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I advise all freelancers to either avoid UpWork, or consult a lawyer before engaging in contracts (which rather voids the point of the site in my eyes).

Attempted to use the site as a freelance-to-client liason/escrow payment service.

Upwork review by User in Higher Education

"Great service, desktop app has some flaws"

What do you like best?

Upwork desktop app is very good at tracking time and allowing you to manage your work diary. Also, they have great client protection in terms of hours.

What do you dislike?

The app sometimes lags, it takes a screenshot of your work but doesn’t add time. It crashes quite frequently.

Allows me to track time and make money doing freelance work. Protects my earnings.

"Platform for freelancers."

What do you like best?

A lot of proposals for work. I consider this platform the most convenient for job search.

What do you dislike?

A very large commission, it is better to immediately seek work with a larger budget, the larger the budget, the less the commission.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good platform for finding work. At the moment this is the main platform that I use.

Job search.

Upwork review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Great aspects that can outweigh the fees"

What do you like best?

We really like the talent we have found through Upwork. Their time tracking and hour limit is great but the option to also allow for manual entry when needed is helpful!

What do you dislike?

Dislike the fees for contractors - specifically if there is a currency conversion. It needs to be converted twice - once to PayPal and then into their accounts.

Tax prep, time tracking, automated payroll.

Upwork review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"UpWork"

What do you like best?

Job availability and listings are constant

What do you dislike?

The high fees that upwork takes from each job (weekly or fixed)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upwork is great to build up clientele and experience but the fees can be harsh on the final payment amounts

I am able to connect with new clients in order to help them and offer my services

Upwork review by User in Music
User in Music

"Lots of work, options but 20% commission!"

What do you like best?

In my experience with freelancing websites, Upwork has the most work offered which is a massive plus! The software and website is nice and clean.

What do you dislike?

20% commission mainly! too high in my books! If you can make the contacts and continue working with clients aside from Upwork, that would be my recommendation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it to make the contacts you need, get a good score so that its easier to get future work!

Having the flexibility of working when you like and from home is hugely beneficial, although finding the work can often feel like a job all by itself!

Upwork review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Upwork Works"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of browsing candidate profiles.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the limited number of good applicants in some categories.

I am able to find help with the many tasks I manage on UpWork and I feel more confident hiring contractors that have been reviewed by other employers.

Upwork review by User in Computer Software

"Quick and easy way to find freelancers to get the work done"

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to create a project and find freelancers.

What do you dislike?

The payment transaction report could be easier to compile.

I look for freelancers to get some design and research work done. It saves my time as I don't always have the right skill sets or time.

Upwork review by <span>Ravi T.</span>
Ravi T.

"Get Business from this Portal for your business in easy way"

What do you like best?

Best thing is you can chat with client directly from up-work and one more thing is that you can get payment grantee from this portal.

What do you dislike?

They provide only 10 more connections in paid version which should be more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can seriously consider Up-work for your business.

You can get expected clients for you business which are really awesome.

Upwork review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Can find a lot of quality employees"

What do you like best?

I like how there are so many employees to choose from and that you can message them easily when doing projects

What do you dislike?

The site is so glitchy. It is getting better but I still don't have a great opinion of it

Recommendations to others considering the product

the site is way less glitchy than it has been in the past. needs to be better at tracking specific projects though

We can hire people in other locations and have a workforce that works with our budget

Upwork review by User in Higher Education

"Applying to a lot of jobs, but not receiving much response"

What do you like best?

I like the idea of being able to find work to do on the computer at home, its a great idea.

What do you dislike?

The amount of work needed to put in to actually receive job offers really kills a lot of the day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have the time to really go after job opportunities.

Supplemental income when a person is out of work or has some free time.

"Upwork is Great"

What do you like best?

The freelancer community is very strong, whether it's a development job, writing job, or whatever.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of too much bad to say. The fees aren't bad for client accounts when hiring freelancers, and I'd rather the freelancer's pay was higher relative to their Upwork fees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it!

I use Upwork to solve a variety of business problems, especially for hiring writers and developers.

Upwork review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Pleasant experience using Upwork."

What do you like best?

Upwork allows you to communicate with companies directly through the app while also tracking time, which makes it very convenient.

What do you dislike?

The time tracker is not 100% accurate, as it rounds up every 10 minutes. But sometimes it is off by 5-7 minutes which can be quite frustrating.

Upwork allows everything to be in one place, which is something I enjoy. This is probably the greatest benefit I would say.

Upwork review by Consultant

"Best Website for Freelancer"

What do you like best?

Everyday new number of projects posted on the website

What do you dislike?

They charge very high commission for new projects

I can work from home for international clients

Upwork review by <span>Daniel A.</span>
Daniel A.

"Disappointment"

What do you like best?

The platform is very well designed, it has a very useful search engine for freelancers.

What do you dislike?

The frustrating lack of respect to the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get succesful job proposals or else you will be banned.

Upwork review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Use this weekly at my office"

What do you like best?

It's super convenient, and a huge network to connect to vendors around the world

What do you dislike?

There is a fee and sometimes the contract system is confusing

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great if you're looking for both long term and short term vendors

I am finding vendors to help with needs my office can not fulfil on it's own

Upwork review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Must have for any Freelancer! "

What do you like best?

Ease of use in getting you profile out there to get bids on any type of job, whether it be short gig or long term role.

What do you dislike?

Your job rate posted doesn't account for the site's cut. You have to account for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Demo other freelance software first and compare.

Finding freelancer/consultant work

Upwork review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"A Freelancer's Delight"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the simplicity in registrations are penultimate.

What do you dislike?

Customer service agents are not as helpful or educated as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take it for what it is worth. From a time/cost efficiency standpoint, it cannot be rivaled.

Hiring, sourcing freelancers and freelancing jobs.

Upwork review by G2 Crowd User in Law Practice
G2 Crowd User in Law Practice

"Much easier and cleaner than the old Elance Framework"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, simple, clean. Much happier using this platform than Elance.

What do you dislike?

Not able to easily bill expenses that are outside of the hourly rate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use for your freelancing business - great way to meet new clients

Learning about Upwork?

* We monitor all Upwork reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.