Vagrant

4.7

Create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments.

Work for Vagrant?

Learning about Vagrant?

Vagrant Reviews

Showing 28 Vagrant reviews
Vagrant review by Vis T.
Vis T.

"Vagrant is awesome"

What do you like best?

This software is a marvel of modern computing. Never before has it been so easy to develop in multiple environments on just one pc or laptop. With a simple two word command, a virtual machine is created and launched. Vagrant goes out to the cloud and retrieves the chosen OS allowing for the developer to concentrate on the project rather than wasting extra time maintaining copies of development OSs and doing manual installations. This also makes it very easy to have the same development variables on multiple machines for multiple team members.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it is not more widely used. I also dislike How technical and complicated it looks at first glance. Vagrant is actually very simple to grasp a decent understanding rather quickly. The average user can be up and be running with Vagrant with minimal effort contrary to what a quick overview might lead to sugest.

Vagrant allows us to set up the exact same development situation for multiple remote working team members.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Vagrant
Vagrant review by Craig B.
Craig B.

"Great, Ephemeral Virtual Machines"

What do you like best?

I work at the command line every day. I develop in Linux, but have a Mac laptop. I use Vagrant to do all of my development.

How does that work out? On the whole pretty great. Here's what I like:

* Spinning up my development box is as simple as "vagrant up", getting in there is as simple as "vagrant ssh"

* Vagrant boxes are specified in Vagrantfiles, where you describe what steps to do when you make a new one. At this point I have codified most of what I need to spin up a new vagrant box in my Vagrant file. New computer? I'm up and running in a few minutes.

* Vagrant allows us to test out all our builds in a fully virtualized environment on developer laptops. It's actually kinda beautiful.

What do you dislike?

I have only one complaint about Vagrant, and to be honest this complaint is largely related to my own misuse of the tool:

If you power off your laptop at the wrong time, it is possible for a Vagrant image to become corrupted. I lost two development boxes to this (in both cases it was when I had to hold the power button because Mac OS locked up for unrelated reasons). It sucks, but that said, it also enforces a mode of thinking around ephemeral machines that I find very helpful. Both times I've lost a vagrant dev box, I've spent some time making my Vagrantfile better so getting back to speed is increasingly painless

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want interactive, command line virtual images this is basically what you should do.

We are streamlining our developer experience, and brining usable virtualization to developers.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

Vagrant review by John B.
John B.

"Vagrant is the best bad solution to local development"

What do you like best?

Vagrant is much better than trying to run a production-like stack directly on your local machine, especially once you factor in complications like working with a team of developers who run different OSes. Vagrant was a game changer that revolutionized many aspects of software engineering workflow and is still a useful tool with a barrier to entry that isn't prohibitively high.

What do you dislike?

It's so unbelievably slow. The rate of development is absolutely glacial. Massive bugs go unfixed and/or unreleased for several months at a time. That wouldn't be so bad if there were an easy way to switch to a development branch of the program, but there isn't. It doesn't scale as a solution: you either have to have several massive VMs installed side-by-side to keep environments discreet or you need to have to use one extra-monolithic VM that has all your environments colocated, which just moves the technical debt Vagrant was meant to solve off of your host machine and into a guest VM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn docker properly. You might still use vagrant, but in most cases docker is far superior to vagrant in terms of speed, reliability, development, and team collaboration.

Many of the engineers use vagrant to host their local development environments. It's been helpful for at least getting most development environments to match each other, if not production itself. It also sometimes results in faster onboarding, although it has also been known to cause enormous problems with the same process through obscure bugs specific to various OS configurations.

Vagrant review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Vagrant Makes Development Easier"

What do you like best?

It's awesome to be able to do my development locally with whatever configuration I need. I can shut it down when I'm not using it and switch between boxes quickly.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of moving pieces. Do have to decide if you're using shell scripts, puppet, ansible, chef or whatnot. I find it difficult to get it to work on local domains (http://project.app/) so I end up using a custom port which prevents me from running more than one at a time (using the same configuration).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free so give it a shot. If you're building with PHP I'd recommend checking out https://puphpet.com/ or http://phansible.com/ which makes setting up your box easier.

Previously I did all of my development on a remote VPS using ExpanDrive to mount the remote SSH as a local drive. Over the years this has become more fragile and in many cases the latency has gotten to be too much for me. I love being able to have everything local.

Prior to working with the VPS/ExpanDrive workflow, I'd do local development with a local web server and database. That sucked as well because if I wasn't doing development it was still running. It also meant that all my apps needed to use the same stack and the same PHP versions.

Vagrant makes this easier because if I have a project that requires PHP 5.2 and another that I'm building with PHP 7 it's all good.

Vagrant review by Christopher F.
Christopher F.

"Quickly create new virtual machine instances for development."

What do you like best?

Vagrant takes much of the guesswork out of creating new virtual machines for development, allowing for quick port and volume mapping, system provisioning, and replication. With good documentation, a great collection of prebuilt configurations, and a community that willingly provides support, Vagrant is an invaluable tool for our workflow.

What do you dislike?

Vagrant sometimes hides more than it should, making it difficult for technically competent users who are new to the platform to identify where and how things are working. With a little bit of work it's possible to become familiar, but it could be easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vagrant is a great first step when moving your software development workflow into the world of virtualization.

We use Vagrant to create easily replicable server environments for the software that we build and deploy. It allows us to easily on-board new developers, ensuring that all project participants are using a consistent environment and toolkit.

Vagrant review by Raju M.
Raju M.

"A simple and easy to setup portable development environment for everyone"

What do you like best?

Vagrant allows you to have a development environment on a virtual machine that can be configured and shared with others. It allows multiple developers to work on the same environment without having to spend time configuring each machine every other time.

It helps developers to maintain the same level of configuration and all it takes are a few commands and you are good to go.

What do you dislike?

Initially, it was quite difficult to get the networking right because I didn't have much experience with proxying to the virtual machine. This was a little difficult to setup so it took some time before I got used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really difficult to start with and takes time to learn how to configure a vagrant machine but once you get the hang of it you could be saving a lot of hours for you and your team.

This is a necessary tool for any team working on a web platform.

Every developer has his or her own machine that could be a mac, windows or a linux machine. Getting the same environment for a particular server side programming language is difficult especially if you are on a windows machine, vagrant solves this problem by creating a virtual machine that can be run on every machine with the same specs so everyone has the same machine running during development.

Also Laravel Homestead makes use of vagrant, which makes it easy for anyone to bootstrap a laravel project really fast.

Vagrant review by Js L.
Js L.

"Fast setup for virtual machine image"

What do you like best?

Fast setup for development environment. I'm using this to develop Laravel app. The Laravel official website provide us a Vagrant config file for us. I download the config file and run a command, then I can start to develop Laravel project, without any extra configuration needed. Very convenient!!

What do you dislike?

The drawback is, it consume a lot more memory as it require to run an virtual image. I'm using MacBook Air with 4GB RAM, the machine most of the time will lag, and it's not sufficient to run 2 virtual image at same time!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vagrant can save your time for setting up an development environment. For a company, it only need to create a config file, all the developers will just download the file and run a command, the environment will be exactly the same for all developers here. Thus it can avoid version error or any other inconsistency.

Web development for cloud base system

Vagrant review by Thiago O.
Thiago O.

"The easiest way to setup dev environment!"

What do you like best?

The fact that is just so simple and easy to use, yet it's very effective. In my previous workflow, I would just download an Linux image, set it up on virtual box, install everything I need for a given setup, and just than I would be able to work. With vagrant as easy as "vagrant up", I have all this process automated.

What do you dislike?

Now that I'm used to it, I can get a vagrant machine setup really quick. But I believe for a beginner that setup my not be so easy. Other than that, can't think of anything else I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even though the first few steps might seem hard, please don't give up, because vagrant is totally worth it, and once you get the basics it will for sure be worth it.

Setting up development environment sometimes is a pain. There is just so many versions of so many software we have to install, and then there is environment variables, vpn access, proxies, etc. Usually, in the previous company I used to work, a developer would need at least 2 days, just to setup his machine and get to actually code some work. Right now, he can just start right away!

Another scenario vagrant has helped me was with my free lance works. If I wanted to get another dev setup, with different softwares/technologies, vagrant helps me deal with this very well by separating an specific machine to each project.

Vagrant review by Antonio R.
Antonio R.

"Set Up Multi-VM Networks with Ease"

What do you like best?

Vagrant is fantastic, it allows you to create and configure virtual development environments with popular virtualization software like Virtualbox or VMware.

What do you dislike?

Vagrant is written in ruby so an update of the ruby interpret might ruin your current installation of Vagrant

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some people say that Docker is better than vagrant, but its an apples to oranges comparison.

Vagrant is a tool for managing virtual machines. Docker is a tool for building and deploying applications by packaging them into lightweight containers. A container can hold pretty much any software component along with its dependencies, and execute it in a guaranteed and repeatable runtime environment. This makes it very easy to build your app once and deploy it anywhere - on your laptop for testing, then on different servers for live deployment etc.

1. Easy provisioning of Virtual Development Environments

2. Keep development as close to the production environment as possible

3. Help our developers to acquire DevOps knowledge

4. Easiness to try new things without fear of breaking the environment because we can rollback to it's starting point

Vagrant review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Vagrant is awesome"

What do you like best?

Vagrant makes creating Virtual Machines super easy. Vagrantfiles can be fully customized for any operating system and can integrate with provisioning software such as Chef and Ansible.

What do you dislike?

Slight learning curve but there is lots of examples and documentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. You will enjoy how simple Vagrant makes things. waste less time setting up so that you can spend more time developing.

Recreate customized virtual environments easily for anyone on the team to work on.

Vagrant review by daniel b.
daniel b.

"the best sandbox ever made"

What do you like best?

Vagrant is just great, i need my windows enviroment for .net and some app's that only runs in windows, and also i'm a web developer, so i need a linux enviroment, With vagrant in less than 30 mins of configuration your software is up and running, ready for all your needs, that's a great thing here, also, it's very configurable, a big advantage is that console mode without gui leads to a low consumption of ram memory, that's a big plus here, the sandbox is great in order to make proof of concept of your software, when you need to play with something you know you can break, it's your best choice, you can always delete your sandbox and no problem

What do you dislike?

The fact that still requires a bit of configuration, that thing still can be improved here, i think that should be sandboxes that come with all stuff configured there, it could be a big plus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that vagrant is a great tool that just do the job, think other people should give a try on this, not because i say it, just because it works, and works very well, it's a sandbox with a linux enviroment that could be made with the flavour you want, it works nice, think of it as your own virtualized server.

Well as a Senior CakePHP developer i need a linux sandbox to get my work done, it's a big plus. i need a quick sandbox to make test, and have this as my main option, the

Vagrant review by Claudio F.
Claudio F.

"Simply the best way for a DevOps ready environment configuration"

What do you like best?

Its ease of maintaining an environment is the best thing to count with. One can have a newly installed environment at the distance of a command line, as well as destroyed and reinstalled. At the end of the day, the dev machine leaves no trace of whatever experiment we might have performed during the day, avoiding a lot of complications and risks that a common development machine might suffer from being tinkered with during a normal day of work.

What do you dislike?

It takes a quite steep learning curve in order to get up and running with Vagrant solution. To make simple things as to install an operational system from scratch is as easy as pie, but to have an entire topology readily available one needs to spend quite a lot of time to make the configurations, which are nothing but pure scripts. Unless one counts with some orchestration support tools, such as Puppet or Chef, there surely is gonna be a whole lot of scripting to do in order to have a more than simple solution ready for deployment at your company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a solution that requires a lot of tooling to be installed and configured at your customers or personal servers, perhaps it's time to take a look at Vagrant. With simple commands you can have the entire environment ready for deployment without suffering the threat of differences in the environments. Your dev team will no longer give you the classic: "but in my machine it works!" kind of excuse!

We needed to have many hardware that we built ourselves promptly factory installed with our operational system and solutions. As said before, prior to using Vagrant, we'd have to maintain our OS version, which consisted of a Fedora specially compiled and maintained by us as well as a package management tool, which generated a whole lot of work. Vagrant came into rescue for that.

Vagrant review by Erik W.
Erik W.

"A drastic improvement in workflow"

What do you like best?

Vagrant is possibly the tool that has improved my way of working most for the last few years.

I like that it is easy to spin up a new environment, and that you can share your virtual machines with others.

Testing some new software? I do it in vagrant! Finished testing? delete the machine. No more messing around with my local system or having a bunch of software installed unnecessary.

The fact that it supports different virtualization technologies is a huge plus, for instance is use vmware fusion to provide nested virtualization to test out cloud solutions through vagrant.

What do you dislike?

Someimes a full vm is too much, docker integration would make this tool truly perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is not much to consider, just do it, you won't regret it. Once you go Vagrant you don't go back!

Primarly testing and development. It is easy to provide everyone with the same environment.

Vagrant review by Charles A.
Charles A.

"Lather, rinse, repeat"

What do you like best?

Some of my favorite days are spent iterating machine configurations using Vagrant. I make a change, build the VM, test it out, and destroy the VM fearlessly. It's so much better than working on real production systems or even manually building and rebuilding VMs.

What do you dislike?

I have encountered some compatibility issues with ancient versions of Linux, but I was able to resolve them by stepping back a few versions of Vagrant. Given the combinatorial explosion of OSes, OS versions, virtualization tools, etc. it's a wonder there aren't more issues.

Updating and installing software on Linux servers. Vagrant gives me a sandbox to try out changes.

Vagrant review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"Vagrant leads me into the world of DevOps"

What do you like best?

I was a developer who doesn't know the concept of DevOps. Before using Vagrant, occasionally, I was annoyed by some linux configuration, by IDE setup, by repeat LAMP stack configuration, but I had the feeling that something was wrong: there should be a better way to do it.

Until starting using Vagrant and hashicorp's other tools, such as packer, I began to know another world: DevOps.

So,

the "everything should be automatic" pattern in my brain, was developed by Linux user experience + Vagrant( hashicorp)

What do you dislike?

I am currently satisfied by Vagrant and hashicor's other tools. They are good! Once you learn the "DevOps" pattern from these tools, you will be good to go for any "automatic" patterns.

I am a deveopler and use vagrant in both my work and my home projects.

Vagrant review by Page W.
Page W.

"Used this on many web development projects"

What do you like best?

Ease of getting all developers using the same environment

What do you dislike?

Not easy for beginners to make changes on how a machine is setup

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it but be prepared for a steep learning curve if you ever must make changes or troubleshoot anything. I would recommend viewing existing projects using vagrant on version control networks. There is a lot that can be gained by reading through vagrant files that other's have been using and tweaking successfully for some time. Experiment with changes and do not be afraid to break things.

Ability for developers to run same environment minimizes bugs

Vagrant review by Daniel N.
Daniel N.

"Why you need to virtualise"

What do you like best?

The ability to distribute a configured environment to a group of people for development, QA, or general consistency

What do you dislike?

The initial configuration takes a long time to get right, but once done right, it's perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, I'd probably get started with something like PuPHPet or chef, to build your vagrantfile.

As soon as you pick it up from those services, look into building your own vagrant files as you'll get more flexibility out of them

In most dev houses, you'll always have inconsistency issues between developer's local environments which, at one point or another which cause an issue. With Vagrant boxes, this issue is completely eliminated.

Vagrant review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Vagrant "

What do you like best?

I really enjoy being able to sandbox my prototyping. Vagrant allows me to test things out with out having to worry about dependency conflicts between separate projects. I also like that I can spin up several boxes at one time from a single file.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of ruby or chef so I rarely leverage the full power of provisioning that vagrant offers. I also often run into networking conflicts when using vagrant. partially that is because I work remotely and use vpn while using vagrant. I also do not like the verbosity by default of standard out with the 'vagrant up' command

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just start using it. Most people already have VirtualBox running on their local machines already and vagrant is really just a wrapper for spinning up virtual machines and then configuring them. It will keep your code cleaner if you develop locally on your descktop

Prototyping. Instead of having to spin up several vms at work to test a few things out, I can just use vagrant instead. It helps me get started quicker. It also allows our team to easily share configs (Vagrant files).

Vagrant review by Nagarjuna Y.
Nagarjuna Y.

"Vagrant - Made my work easier,best tool for software developers working on open technologies"

What do you like best?

1. The major reason why I'd use vagrant is to make sure that my development machine is almost 1-to-1 with the deployment server (hardware spec is basically too difficult to replicate in-office) this would solve issues between going from Apple's BSD to say a dependent machine which runs Ubuntu.

2. I can test vagrant scripts on remote clouds such as AWS or RackSpace with the same workflow which I followed on my local machine there is no rocket science to be learned if I am shifting from one hosting provider to other

3. As a person handling operations in my organisation Vagrant gives me a disposable environment and consistent workflow for developing and testing infrastructure management scripts. I can quickly test things like shell scripts, Chef cookbooks, Puppet modules, and more using local virtualization such as VirtualBox or VMware.

4. Personally I am working with Microsoft Azure azure provider made my life lot more easier compared to old style recycling of AWS EC2 Machines.

What do you dislike?

Sometime vagrant machines are very slow for no reasons mitigating them is the best option they are many blog posts on the same try to look into them.Apart from minor errors caused due to updates I like vagrant very much.

Users with windows client will see a tough time while using this product if you need to get most out of this switch for Unix/Linux

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best tool for people who need to work on different platforms without messing up with the existing system softwares,environments.Portable and Easy to dispose VM available on the vagrant cloud makes life easier of provisioning VM's and command line interface helps a lot working with multiple machines.

DevOps

Vagrant review by Jose L.
Jose L.

"Local Virtual Machine"

What do you like best?

Vagrant is a wonderful tools for development enviroments, vagrant helps me be aware of how you will answer my machine in the cloud, and find me avoid many problems before deploying the app. We have machines Ubuntu, CentOS, Solaris ... any Linux machine wrapped in a "box" vagrant also helps me make it much easier continuous delivery, I have had experience working in a big team and each with different OS on your local and vagrant enables us to have a machine configured for our local and so any team member works without compatibility problems or OS dependencies. Other very cool feature of vagrant are provisions, provisions are a powerful feature since we automates the installation of dependencies that machine. And finally vagrant used to build VirtualBox virtual machine and besides all this is Open Source.

What do you dislike?

It has its learning curve, a little slow on the installation of provisions

Recommendations to others considering the product

vagrant recommend if you want to avoid problems with the machine in the cloud and even more if you work in a big team.

vagrant to local machine with a large team of developers

Vagrant review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Indispensable Tool for Local Development"

What do you like best?

Provision a virtual machine mimicking your production environment in minutes. Or, should you need, easily integrate with third-party plugins and perform advanced customizations.

What do you dislike?

When compared to Docker, swapping out components within your stack is a bit tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are plenty of tools out there to make provisioning a bit easier

We use Vagrant to run our local development virtual machines since it uses less resources on our hosts than Docker.

Vagrant review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Vagrant + Packer.io + Virtualbox is my favorite"

What do you like best?

With Vagrant, Packer.io and Virtualbox, plus some configuration management tools(such as Ansible), it takes me 10 minutes to create a dedicated working environment and share it with my team members. It just makes everyone's life easy. My typical steps are: 1. using Packer.io to create the original vagrant box. 2. running Vagrant to setup the VM, possibly with some minor configuration. 3. Using Ansible to make more configuration. This workflow is very fit for me.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, you may find some bugs on the newer version. But the online community is very friendly. The author's name is MITCHELL HASHIMOTO. He is very nice. I follow his other projects, such as Pakcer.io.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No matter what you do, you'd better try Vagrant + some other CM tools(such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet)

We provide the other teams with service.

Vagrant review by Esteban R.
Esteban R.

"Multiple development eviroments"

What do you like best?

You can create different virtual machines, each with an OS and a set of tool for your individual needs. for example, you can create a debian distro with a LAMP stack for when your developing web-based services, and another distro for development using the MEAN stack for example.

What do you dislike?

Long downloads, depending on the distro, software install and composer dependencies you can be expecting anywhere from 1hr to 2hr to install.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check it out, there are a lot of gems out there for you to try.

Several development environment for each of the developers needs.

Vagrant review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Dev envs made easy"

What do you like best?

I love that everything is stored in plain text, so you can share your provisioning file and use version control software like Git.

What do you dislike?

Repackaging boxes can be very challenging and I think it should be further improved.

I use Vagrant for setting up my development environment by modifying the Vagrantfile, which can later be shared with the other members of the team. That ensure that we all use the same, or at least very similar, machine configurations.

Vagrant review by Daniele S.
Daniele S.

"The perfect companion for Virtualbox"

What do you like best?

Easy to manage a virtual machine and scriptigin that.

What do you dislike?

People is ignoring vagrant for docker and abandoning the support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the vagrantfile to customize the settings of the environment

Install and configure a VM ready to develop automatically.

Vagrant review by Alexey A.
Alexey A.

"Tool that made life of developers much easier"

What do you like best?

Vagrant support Vmvare and VirtualBox, Vagrantfile it is good idea to keep all stuff you need from virtual image in one place. Big communitu and huge knowledge base.

What do you dislike?

Basic image should be prepared for using with vagrant( user and ssh support)

Standartization virtual image for developers

Vagrant review by Teerapong M.
Teerapong M.

"It is easy to use vagrant"

What do you like best?

it is easy to build the system to ready for everyone

What do you dislike?

Right now I have no any dislike point to mention

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is useful to create, configure the development environment

Reduce the routines to set up every machine to be the same

Vagrant review by User in Internet

"Quick, easy deployment of a VM"

What do you like best?

100% customizable. Easy to put into place. Lots of great recipes through google searches. Great community.

What do you dislike?

Can be processor and memory intensive. Make sure you have a beefy computer.

Dev environments are easily shared amongst many people in a single team. Help to eliminate the "Works for me" mentality.

Learning about Vagrant?

* We monitor all Vagrant reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.