Vagrant

Create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments.

Work for Vagrant?

Showing 27 Vagrant reviews
Vagrant review by <span>Vis T.</span>
Vis T.

Vagrant is awesome

What do you like best?

This software is a marvel of modern computing. Never before has it been so easy to develop in multiple environments on just one pc or laptop. With a simple two word command, a virtual machine is created and launched. Vagrant goes out to the cloud and retrieves the chosen OS allowing for the developer to concentrate on the project rather than wasting extra time maintaining copies of development OSs and doing manual installations. This also makes it very easy to have the same development variables on multiple machines for multiple team members.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it is not more widely used. I also dislike How technical and complicated it looks at first glance. Vagrant is actually very simple to grasp a decent understanding rather quickly. The average user can be up and be running with Vagrant with minimal effort contrary to what a quick overview might lead to sugest.

Vagrant allows us to set up the exact same development situation for multiple remote working team members.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Vagrant
Vagrant review by <span>Craig B.</span>
Craig B.

Great, Ephemeral Virtual Machines

What do you like best?

I work at the command line every day. I develop in Linux, but have a Mac laptop. I use Vagrant to do all of my development.

How does that work out? On the whole pretty great. Here's what I like:

* Spinning up my development box is as simple as "vagrant up", getting in there is as simple as "vagrant ssh"

* Vagrant boxes are specified in Vagrantfiles, where you describe what steps to do when you make a new one. At this point I have codified most of what I need to spin up a new vagrant box in my Vagrant file. New computer? I'm up and running in a few minutes.

* Vagrant allows us to test out all our builds in a fully virtualized environment on developer laptops. It's actually kinda beautiful.

What do you dislike?

I have only one complaint about Vagrant, and to be honest this complaint is largely related to my own misuse of the tool:

If you power off your laptop at the wrong time, it is possible for a Vagrant image to become corrupted. I lost two development boxes to this (in both cases it was when I had to hold the power button because Mac OS locked up for unrelated reasons). It sucks, but that said, it also enforces a mode of thinking around ephemeral machines that I find very helpful. Both times I've lost a vagrant dev box, I've spent some time making my Vagrantfile better so getting back to speed is increasingly painless

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want interactive, command line virtual images this is basically what you should do.

We are streamlining our developer experience, and brining usable virtualization to developers.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

Vagrant review by <span>John B.</span>
John B.

Vagrant is the best bad solution to local development

What do you like best?

Vagrant is much better than trying to run a production-like stack directly on your local machine, especially once you factor in complications like working with a team of developers who run different OSes. Vagrant was a game changer that revolutionized many aspects of software engineering workflow and is still a useful tool with a barrier to entry that isn't prohibitively high.

What do you dislike?

It's so unbelievably slow. The rate of development is absolutely glacial. Massive bugs go unfixed and/or unreleased for several months at a time. That wouldn't be so bad if there were an easy way to switch to a development branch of the program, but there isn't. It doesn't scale as a solution: you either have to have several massive VMs installed side-by-side to keep environments discreet or you need to have to use one extra-monolithic VM that has all your environments colocated, which just moves the technical debt Vagrant was meant to solve off of your host machine and into a guest VM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn docker properly. You might still use vagrant, but in most cases docker is far superior to vagrant in terms of speed, reliability, development, and team collaboration.

Many of the engineers use vagrant to host their local development environments. It's been helpful for at least getting most development environments to match each other, if not production itself. It also sometimes results in faster onboarding, although it has also been known to cause enormous problems with the same process through obscure bugs specific to various OS configurations.

Vagrant review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

Vagrant Makes Development Easier

What do you like best?

It's awesome to be able to do my development locally with whatever configuration I need. I can shut it down when I'm not using it and switch between boxes quickly.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of moving pieces. Do have to decide if you're using shell scripts, puppet, ansible, chef or whatnot. I find it difficult to get it to work on local domains (http://project.app/) so I end up using a custom port which prevents me from running more than one at a time (using the same configuration).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free so give it a shot. If you're building with PHP I'd recommend checking out https://puphpet.com/ or http://phansible.com/ which makes setting up your box easier.

Previously I did all of my development on a remote VPS using ExpanDrive to mount the remote SSH as a local drive. Over the years this has become more fragile and in many cases the latency has gotten to be too much for me. I love being able to have everything local.

Prior to working with the VPS/ExpanDrive workflow, I'd do local development with a local web server and database. That sucked as well because if I wasn't doing development it was still running. It also meant that all my apps needed to use the same stack and the same PHP versions.

Vagrant makes this easier because if I have a project that requires PHP 5.2 and another that I'm building with PHP 7 it's all good.

Vagrant review by <span>Christopher F.</span>
Christopher F.

Quickly create new virtual machine instances for development.

What do you like best?

Vagrant takes much of the guesswork out of creating new virtual machines for development, allowing for quick port and volume mapping, system provisioning, and replication. With good documentation, a great collection of prebuilt configurations, and a community that willingly provides support, Vagrant is an invaluable tool for our workflow.

What do you dislike?

Vagrant sometimes hides more than it should, making it difficult for technically competent users who are new to the platform to identify where and how things are working. With a little bit of work it's possible to become familiar, but it could be easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vagrant is a great first step when moving your software development workflow into the world of virtualization.

We use Vagrant to create easily replicable server environments for the software that we build and deploy. It allows us to easily on-board new developers, ensuring that all project participants are using a consistent environment and toolkit.

Vagrant review by <span>Raju M.</span>
Raju M.

A simple and easy to setup portable development environment for everyone

What do you like best?

Vagrant allows you to have a development environment on a virtual machine that can be configured and shared with others. It allows multiple developers to work on the same environment without having to spend time configuring each machine every other time.

It helps developers to maintain the same level of configuration and all it takes are a few commands and you are good to go.

What do you dislike?

Initially, it was quite difficult to get the networking right because I didn't have much experience with proxying to the virtual machine. This was a little difficult to setup so it took some time before I got used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really difficult to start with and takes time to learn how to configure a vagrant machine but once you get the hang of it you could be saving a lot of hours for you and your team.

This is a necessary tool for any team working on a web platform.

Every developer has his or her own machine that could be a mac, windows or a linux machine. Getting the same environment for a particular server side programming language is difficult especially if you are on a windows machine, vagrant solves this problem by creating a virtual machine that can be run on every machine with the same specs so everyone has the same machine running during development.

Also Laravel Homestead makes use of vagrant, which makes it easy for anyone to bootstrap a laravel project really fast.

Learning about Vagrant?

* We monitor all Vagrant reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.