Vectorworks Architect

Vectorworks, Inc. is a global design and BIM software developer serving over 650,000 professionals in the architecture, landscape and entertainment industries. Since 1985, we’ve been committed to helping designers capture inspiration, nurture innovation, communicate effectively and bring their visions to life. With our cross-platform software, designers can build data-rich, visual models without sacrificing the design process, while collaborating efficiently throughout the project life-cycle. Headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, Vectorworks is a part of the Nemetschek Group. Learn how we empower designers to create experiences that transform the world

Work for Vectorworks Architect?

Learning about Vectorworks Arch?

Vectorworks Architect Reviews

Showing 99 Vectorworks Arch reviews
Vectorworks Arch review by Peter E.
Peter E.

"THE complete BIM package for architects"

What do you like best?

Our office has been using Vectorworks in some incarnation since 1994, and personally since 1992. Since those early releases (and continuing to this day), it has distinguished itself for its ease of use as a 3D modeling program, enabling us to generate sophisticated, integrated, complete visualizations and documentation of our projects. No other software package has been able to offer such capabilities at such an accessible price point. In short, Vectorworks is a spectacular design tool.

What do you dislike?

The primary regret with Vectorworks is its lack of penetration in the US market in architecture. New associates in our practice rarely have experience with the program. However, once using it on our projects they too are evangelized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the trial version - engage with the tutorial, and see how straightforward it is to generate an intelligent data-laden 3D model.

Version 2018 is a major upgrade - the multi-window view is finally here.

Architecture Is Fun utilizes Vectorworks for quick design sketches and modeling, for generating out to 3D printers, and as our BIM software. Having a single program have such range and ease of use, with support and upgrades that keep ahead of competing products has proven a wise investment over the life of our practice. It works equally well on our Mac platform, and on platforms used by colleagues. Invisibly, and with great ease it imports and exports to all of our consultants and collaborators platforms - realizing great efficiency.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Vectorworks Architect
Vectorworks Arch review by John C.
John C.

"3D for the Mac That Works"

What do you like best?

Ease of Use

Short Learning Curve

Excellent Rendering

Excellent DWG translation

Clear and Easy to use interface

Strong 2D tools

Really strong database for object intelligence

What do you dislike?

Unclear instructions as to how viewports work

No advantage of using sheet layers over sheet views

Difficult to do animations

v2017 doesn't perform the Save Image with Image Props on a 2011 iMac

File size of document is very large, although save times are OK

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your Mac is 64-bit for 2015 and later. Your mac should have 16 gb RAM for optimal performance, especially when making complex renderings and animations.

It's a great tool for designing in 3D and representation in 2D. Once layers and classes are mastered and clearly understood, it then becomes clear as to how to do a fully integrated design solution using this program. One document can contain 2D plans, elevations, and details, and the 3D model in wireframe, which can be rendered in RenderWorks and can be permanently affixed to the document as an imported image. I use this program in the Design Phase, principally.

What Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) solution do you use?

Vectorworks Arch review by Dov H.
Dov H.

"Architect long time user "

What do you like best?

Initial set setup, ease of design and 3d presentation

What do you dislike?

Some features do not get better with time, Occasionally it feels as if they get worse

For instance: Stair tool have become more and more difficult to manipulate

Dormer tool- extremely frustrating

Roof tool unrealistic

Floors, Slabs and Stories MUST have Wall Section GRAPHICS , just as in Real Architecture

Need better manipulation of wall layers

Slab creation should have options for controlling components gross area or individual spaces (not separate spaces) Wood be nice to have a floor joist creation and direction within slabs

Wall joints tend to open during work, would be nice to have a 'Wall Lock' feature that will allow insertion of doors/windows without breaking joint. Not easy to create UN-conventional terminus.

Schedules: doors, windows need upgrading for ease of use and graphics.

In general there needs to be better coordination with practicing Architect in the US

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good product, but may not be the best in the markey

As an Architect I find it easier to show a client a 3D project, quick sketching

Vectorworks Arch review by John M.
John M.

"Crippling problems ruin otherwise great software"

What do you like best?

The software at an initial level is pretty user friendly, good layers and classes system for drawing on. Rendering has improved a lot in recent years.

What do you dislike?

The software advertises itself as being suitable for BIM workflows, and it frankly isn't. Bugs are prevalent throughout the software, and new implementations are added with each edition year after year which are half finished and never revisited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Revit instead.

Vectorworks is fine for 2D drawing. Now that we have moved into 3D modelling and BIM, Vectorworks simply does not cut it. If you are planning to use Vectorworks for any BIM process, avoid it and go instead for Revit.

Vectorworks Arch review by Kevin L.
Kevin L.

"Been using VectorWorks since the mid 1990's and prefer VectorWorks over all the others"

What do you like best?

Ease of use has always been the primary reason - it works the way I think! Of course working in model format so I can look at my design in 3D as well as work on production drawings in 2D has been key. Integration of multiple production tools, symbols, worksheets and libraries are a primary plus.

What do you dislike?

An issue I've had with the program has been with upgrade where features are introduced, or changed and they don't work or are "buggy" and require work arounds. Often the fix comes with a paid upgrade or the next version (which has a cost of either an upgrade or paying for the service select membership). Hours may be spent on trying to get the feature to work and then giving up in frustration with the feature just isn't ready for prime time (the feature "Stories" comes to mind!).

As an architect it would be like me telling the client, "oh, the front door doesn't really open, we're hoping it will work properly in the next version. But we find a good work around is to use the back door when you want to come in and out of your house!"

Yeah, that would work really well!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vectorworks is a full featured program that has allowed me and my firm realize great communication with our clients and the builders we work with to get the best outcome we can in the execution of our designs, to the satisfaction of our clients.

Production and work flow. being able to model / sketch with 3D to help clients see how the design will come together.

Vectorworks Arch review by gary o.
gary o.

"very frustrating-- full of unacknowledged bugs "

What do you like best?

When it works, it's pretty good.

seems easier to use and more intuitive than auto cad, particularly in WYSIWYG, and organization of layers and classes. Though admittedly, that's just my perception, as I really have very little experience with other programs, except for Sketchup

What do you dislike?

It is FULL of bugs. They claim that all the problems I'm having are unreported by anyone else and may be specific to my setup. I'm on a top of the line Macbook pro from 2015 running yosemite-- not the best, but should be good enough.

A few of the Biggest:

-Actively used files are degrading-- spontaneously losing substantial information

-Doesn't update pallets unless i save, and sometimes not even then

-Doesn't autosave consistently

-Often gets into streaks when an undo takes me back many (10?, 100?) steps and cannot accept a re-do

-Doesn't recognize which of multiple windows are active (e.g. I try to add a layer to the active file, and it adds it instead to a different, open but not active file.

Also, tech support is incredibly available, but incredibly useless for anything other than routine issues

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared for bugs you would have expected in 2002

Architectural 2d construction documents and 3d modeling

Have produced CD drawings and fairly detailed models for presentation and study

Vectorworks Arch review by Neil B.
Neil B.

"A great, flexible tool for everything from initial concept to project completion"

What do you like best?

The flexibility that the software allows for my entire design process from start to finish, plus the ability to create looking drawings and renderings all within one application.

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to say because anything I've found in the software that I feel needs addressing, the company addresses. The company clearly cares about and stands behind their application. If anything is needed, it's perhaps more versatile options for window/door configurations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the trial version, review the Getting Started Guides at Vectorworks.net and communicate with over users at the Vectorworks Community Forum.

I no longer need several different applications (with all of their individual costs and learning curves). Vectorworks does everything I need for 3D modelling, 2D drawing creation and visualization.

Vectorworks Arch review by Thomas G.
Thomas G.

"I use Vectorworks because it combines 2D graphics and 3D modelling in a very intuitive way"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Vectorworks is that it combines both 2D and 3D. It has great tools for drafting, and I especially like the graphic tools in 2D. It's easy for me to create good drawings, because I can control the graphic output in a very intuitive way (much like Adobe).

I don't need Illustrator or Indesign to create presentations. This saves me a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

It tends to crash often, which can be annoying from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy the program if your desire is designing. It´s easy to learn and I enjoy to work with Vectorworks every day.

It's time saving, easy to learn, easy to use. And it's much cheaper than Revit.

Vectorworks Arch review by Chuck H.
Chuck H.

"Vector Works Architectural"

What do you like best?

The 3D Modeling and presentation capability. It is very easy to work a 3D environment.

What do you dislike?

When in 3D views the inability to select objects and get an accurate measurement distance between. Or selecting an object and moving it an X or Y plan and returning to the plan view to find it moved in a direction that you did not intend for it to move. Example in your in an elevation view and you decide to raise the roof 6 inches. You select the roof, select move, input 6 inches in Y direction, return to the plan view to find the roof having moved 20 ft in the X-direction. Now comes the fun of trying to get everything aligned. Been complaining about this problem to Vector Works since version 2014 when the problem first arouse so far it was not fixed w/ 2016. Have not installed 2017 - hopefully it has been fixed but not optimistic that it has.

Architectural and Mechanical design for light commercial and residential structures

Vectorworks Arch review by Keith B.
Keith B.

"It's great, but I've not given it my full attention yet."

What do you like best?

Vectorworks is native to Mac and offers a much more intuitive graphic approach. It's powerful and capable of doing all that I need. I prefer the interface to other programs, even more as I use it more.

What do you dislike?

It's inconvenient to share files with AutoCAD users. As I'm normally the one hiring consultants it's not me having to adjust to their needs so the pain isn't huge on my part, but can be a bother for them. That has the potential to be an issue with consultants who'd maybe rather not deal with the hassles I bring to them. Yet to be seen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't do it half way, you have to commit. Once you do, it comes pretty easy.

I'm looking for a cost effective software that delivers comprehensive capability in the BIM market. This does it in spades as it's considerably less expensive and much better supported by the company. Other online resources are more limited because VW does not hold such a strangle hold on the market as Revit, for instance, but we're managing.

Vectorworks Arch review by Niel D.
Niel D.

"A CAD Program for Architects"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks was designed from the beginning to be used by architects and designers for architectural projects. It is not loaded down with features that a designer will not need or use. It is also very user friendly. I found it much more intuitive to learn than my previous CAD program.

Vectorworks Service Select is great. 95% of the time a phone call is answered immediately and I get an answer to my question.

Being able to carry all of my custom setting over into a new version is one of the best improvements in years.

What do you dislike?

Not much. There are functional characteristics that I don't like but they are minor in light of how well the software works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the plunge.

I'm very busy and working to keep up with the requirements of my clients. The ease of incorporating corrections and changes is great.

Vectorworks Arch review by Ramón P.
Ramón P.

"More productive than you ever imagined"

What do you like best?

What I like best is being able to be a lot more productive than anyone I know that uses 2D and especially folks still using AutoCAD. I can't imagine doing tons of work on models in SketchUp only to have to butcher them to insert a bunch of lines into AutoCAD or similar 2D applications. And then when changes to the wok happen (and a LOT of them ALWAYS happen) you have to go back and redo the model AND the CAD drawings separately??? NO THANKS...

Anyone still on the fence thinking about wether to take the plunge I would tell that in a couple of days (or nights if you are concerned with office downtime) you'll be on par with what you were doing in 2D CAD. From there on it's money in the bank in terms of time and effort saved. The Help menu and the free online tutorials are a formidable resources for becoming progressively more productive and efficient. There is even a free demo.

What do you dislike?

I'd say that new features are coming out faster than one can incorporate into the drawing routine. But, OTOH, when you need to do a very special or even weird object or effect it turns out that the capabilities are there and you just had to check a free online tutorial and in a few minutes go back to producing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the demo and take the free online tutorials on the Vectorworks website. In half a day if not less you'll realize that the potential for you being more efficient and productive is extraordinary.

When I first started to watch some tutorial videos 11 years ago I said to myself, "Damn... I can do that!!!"

Well, construction drawings of course. But also great presentation drawings using the same info that eventually becomes the CDs. No wasted time there.

Vectorworks Arch review by Richard G.
Richard G.

"Pretty good"

What do you like best?

Best CAD program for Mac. Reasonably user friendly. Pretty good tech support.

What do you dislike?

There are a few bugs which have been giving us ongoing difficulties. Tech support has been somewhat helpful, but a few times the only answer was to upgrade, which we can't afford. Our issues were related to basic functions of the program so there's no excuse for bugs not being fixed.

3d is overly complicated to use for early design studies.

Upgrades are way too expensive!!! Upgrades in the past couple of years have been very incremental and have not added much value or additional usability to the program from our perspective. There's no justification for these upgrades costing the same as purchasing the program new.

We use the software to make drawings. It works pretty well for that. It would be great to use it as a 3d design tool, but it is too time consuming to input all the necessary data.

Vectorworks Arch review by Steve E.
Steve E.

"Software switch with confidence and ease"

What do you like best?

I love the potential! I moved from a straight-up 2D cad program that was beloved for the entirety of my office's history - 17 years! But when it was clear that my office was behind the curve a little and clearly duplicating work, we needed to make the move. There is no doubt that the instant I started learning the ins and outs I knew we had made the right choice. Vectorworks is quite a well of tools, information and possibilities, but I've never felt it daunting at all. The switch was EASY! Being able to continue 2d drafting was virtually a non-issue. No time lost. Like many products, I know there are other ways to do what this does, but I think the look, feel and just the vibe of the interface is best in class. I've been consistently surprised and confident at the ease (and even fun!) to "getting to the next level" with productivity. Whether it be schedules, references and now 3D integration to our workflow, Vectorworks is an easy adventure in deep water. To stick with the analogy, the water is clear and also pretty warm - makes for nice diving!

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I would say could be considered a challenge is just the fact that I waited so long to add Vectorworks to my toolbox. At my office, we have been pretty entrenched in our ways and the inertia is real. Just getting going is hardest part. I wish there were more on-board tutorials or manuals - like a "Start Here Guide " - that came with the package. I initially tried to learn Vectorworks while on vacation and since the reception was spotty for internet, it got fairly frustrating to view video tutorials and the real learning had to wait. (That said, once I was back in civilization, it was a breeze.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy the books, do the tutorials, you cannot be disappointed.

We have been jumping back and forth from our 3D modeling software and 2D cad work for years, but now the 3D capabilities of Vectorworks have collapsed the coordination time to zero. This saves a TON of time and frustration and keeps us designing a lot more ( and cleaning up translations to virtually zero). Schedules are also becoming a very low effort game as well. We're having more fun drawing again and that is worth a lot!

Vectorworks Arch review by Rob N.
Rob N.

"Lets me work how I wish to work"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks allows me to work the way I wish to work. Provides me with all the tools I need and some I didn't know I need. Its a very powerful all in one solution to handle the smallest of projects to large team collaboration projects.

What do you dislike?

I honestly cannot say I dislike anything. Any issues I have had have been able to be addressed to the Vectorworks team. They would acknowledge my concerns and either provide a solution or have updated me on progress of things being fixed. Their active communication on their forum lets clients know they are indeed listening.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the tutorials provided by Vectorworks. Becoming an advanced user is doable through bite sized pieces of implementation.

Allowed me to show clients how their projects will look in a way they can understand. Allows me to coordinate with consultant team to show where conflicts may have occurred.

Vectorworks Arch review by Craig S.
Craig S.

"Very simple program to teach employees."

What do you like best?

This software is for architects. It was developed by architects and is used by architects. Other CAD systems were hard to learn, or it took much longer to teach and apply. Another positive aspect is the fact that you can model (go 3d) very easily. This is large in both design and production.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see more advanced, or updated rendering interface software that could be utilized in conjunction with Vectorworks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. It's very addictive and very simple in application. Recommend you start on a smaller project, but utilize ALL aspects of the system. It is also easy to "form" and apply personal touches with relevant applications. Whats really cool, it how you can go back and forth on a design solution once in 3d to evaluate. That will sell you....

Cut-to-the-chase problem solving. When you utilize the full capacity of the software, it takes much less time to develop a design solution then expected. Plus you can apply alternatives in as short a period of time, as well.

User in Design

"Usable, but Needs to Evolve"

What do you like best?

I purchase Vectorworks many years ago, when options for professional drafting on Macintosh were limited. There are more options today, including AutoCAD, but Vectorworks is still quite capable. 2D drafting tools are good. Page layout, formatting, a composition tools are also good, but not entirely intuitive. 3D modeling tools are basic, but functional. Renderworks and product good results, if your expectations are simple.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is outdated and convoluted. The learning curve is steep and can be frustrating. BIM capabilities are limited and inflexible. Tools seems half-baked and are often awkward to use quickly and efficiently. User are forced to adapt to oddities of the software, rather than the other way around. BIM capabilities are very limited, and setting up a model in a clear, logical way is extremely difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Vectorworks, but with caveats. 2D drafting tools are quite good. 3D tools are emerging. Rending is fairly simple, but inflexible. BIM capabilities are very limited.

Vectorworks is great at combining 2D, 3D, and page layout and it's a great option for Macintosh-based offices.

Vectorworks Arch review by Judith R.
Judith R.

"Vectorworks just keeps getting better and better!"

What do you like best?

BIM capabilities combined with almost infinite flexibility in the look of output. Whenever I need a specific technique or took, I can invariably find it and marvel at how

I ever lived without it!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I cannot figure out how I have done a really awesome thing in the past. But that is me, not Vectorworks. Usually after some traipsing through the software I can find the elusive technique.

I am looking forward to getting more into Marionnette. In general, Vectorworks is excellent at 'keeping track of' and compiling building components.

Vectorworks Arch review by Bill F.
Bill F.

"Complete and versatile program"

What do you like best?

I like what Nemetschek has embraced in the way architectural drawing software needs to work. It is a nimble and intuitive three dimensional software program that surpasses its locomotive sized nemisis, Revit, in its lightness, agility and speed.

What do you dislike?

Unlike the larger lumbering and powerful, program Revit, Vectorworks falls a notch behind in total work group solutions and document integration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask Nemetcheck to share more about other users in other cities, so users can fluidly communicate with each other and in fact know who is using the program

I am using Vectorworks as my total visualization and architectural documentation too.

Vectorworks Arch review by Thomas T M.
Thomas T M.

"Versatile, Powerful, Fast"

What do you like best?

Vector works is easy to set up for the simplest task, but with a system that for handling very complex and large jobs. I use generally for architectural projects, but also for graphic design and quick studies. The symbol routine enables very efficient drawing. The wall tool is useful for many things other than walls. Being able to quickly transform text into enhanceable graphics, and use of images as surface textures adds flare to drawings. Cross referencing files is key. Viewports and annotation are fast and effective ways of creating interim drawings, or setting up for long run.

What do you dislike?

A few glitches when files get large, especially with nested symbols. Some ghost images. It imports PDF's very well, but bogs down if they are large, and creates huge files when exporting drawing containing pdfs. The rendering engine is good for cartoon sketches, but frustrating for lighting and textures, which work really well sometimes, others not so much. Would like more explanation of different options and tools. Cross referencing is a bit cumbersome, as is setting up of 3D viewports and the camera tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. Take time to learn the tools.

Architectural and Interior design. Concept and schematic, all the way to design and construction detailing. I can get drawings updated and out quickly and effectively. I am able to utilize my own systems and routines.

Vectorworks Arch review by Zoltán K.
Zoltán K.

"Vectorworks Architect for Interior Designers is the most usable tool"

What do you like best?

VW 3D modeling is easy to use and learn even for those who have never worked with a CAD software. I personally really like how BIM can be done in VW and how to make every sheet from a 3D model. Symbols are great and subdivisions made life easier significantly. I even use VW for graphical works as well.

What do you dislike?

It is a problem that VW doesn't have a lot of Eurpoean drawing standards such as door and window labels (door and window center lines with both height and width measurements for example). And some bugs (i think it is a bug) for example when you make a symbol from a door in a wall, than draw the center line and the measurements in it, when you turn the wall more than 90 degrees VW flips the numbers the wrong direction no matter what. It would be awesome if i could set different drawing styles to symbols to show different details in different scales and even to set up symbols to show different 2D in different layers (such as stairs). I wish there was an option to save multi-pass renders. I would really like that if there were more built in deafult scheduels such as wall volumes...just to mention some.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great software that has everything you need and even more. You don't have to buy different softwares for different thing, this one has everything you will ever need to design any building from scratch to realization.

There is no such software that can handle 2D drawings, 3D modelling and awesome rendering at the same time integratedly without add-ons or plug-ins, while it is capable of making graphical designs, supports all scales from GIS through BIM until furniture design.

Vectorworks Arch review by Steven G.
Steven G.

"Vectorworks Architect 8 hours per day"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks Architect has a set of integrated 2D and 3D tools that allow small and large firms to use the software from Schematic Design through Construction Documents and have photo-realistic renderings produced art any point in the design process.

What do you dislike?

Upgrading yearly to take advantage of the new features requires upgrading files with the potential of minor incompatibilities with older versions. Many of the projects I work on don't magically end in September when the new versions are released.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have worked with training students, Interns, and other firms with Vectorworks. Start-up time is minimal (only slightly longer than Sketchup) but the eventual depth of information you can get out of the software would on par with any other CAD/BIM platform, even surpassing others in instance.

In addition to CAD and BIM, we also use VW for Graphic layout of forms, project publication and even project payment forms using the multi-dimensional worksheets built into the program, saving me time in project administration.

Vectorworks Arch review by Craig S.
Craig S.

"The long and short of using Vectorworks."

What do you like best?

Since the majority of what I do in Vectorworks now involves importing 3-d models from our Engineering job files and creating assembly instructions for the millwork our facility produces, the increased ease with which VW imports and translates ACAD files for me is one of the best features. What I like the best is that I can use layers as they were intended, i.e., working on small sections of a larger structure that can be correctly and easily aligned and assembled when finished with all the smaller sections, or as I most often use it where each layer is a separate page and at whatever scale works best for the item on that page.

What do you dislike?

I have been working with this program since the late 1980's early 1990's when it was still MiniCAD. The yearly changes have been, at times, difficult to assimilate since I have been self-taught the entire time in which I have used this program. That being said, the fact that I was able to "catch myself up" so to speak says a lot about the user friendly interface and incredible detail in the hard copy manuals and on-line Help function which I admit to using quite thoroughly at times. The fact that I am a MAC user and MiniCAD and Vectorworks appear to be the best available option for Mac users is nothing to sneeze at and maybe that why it’s so easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use, relatively low-cost, certainly value-added, Mac based version availability all play a part in my satisfaction and willingness to recommend this product.

In the past I have used MiniCAD and then Vectorworks to create complete sets of drawings for residential remodeling, and for new construction. These projects were "side-jobs" while during my normal business hours at a Full-service Exhibit House in Northeast Wisconsin. I provided the Concept Sketches for use by our Design staff to use as the basis for the color renderings which at that time were nearly all done with colored pencils and air-brush painting techniques. That was at a time when digital graphic renderings were unavailable unless you had access to a Cray computer. We also used VW for the Approval Drawings required to get clients to sign off on a project with a nearly complete and accurate conception of what we intended to build for them. From there Vectorworks enabled me to provide our Carpenters the shop drawings required to turn concept into reality. Last but not least, since Trade Show exhibits are designed, by necessity, to assemble and disassemble quickly at a trade show event, fit into crates designed to hold each component safely during transit and storage, and be ready to re-assemble at the next show, we used the program to provide a set of instructions for the various trades involved, to set up and then dismantle the booths as quickly and safely as possible.

Vectorworks Arch review by John C.
John C.

"John's Review"

What do you like best?

3D architectural and landscape design features.

What do you dislike?

Cost of programs and training, amount of time it takes to "catch up" after lapse between use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work in VectorWorks Architect regularly, its great. If you go long periods time without drawing, it can take awhile to get back up to speed.

It permits me to study existing buildings and present my findings with clarity and accuracy. While I continue to do this, it is no longer a business, it is a contribution of my skills to various non-profits engaged in historic preservation, and training less experienced historic preservation professionals.

Vectorworks Arch review by Alexander D.
Alexander D.

"User of Vectorworks for 4+ years"

What do you like best?

At our firm we hand sketches at the beginning of every project. Vectorwork lets us import these early on and by adjusting the line styling we can create hybrid drawings of hand and cad details which clients respond very well to. This is most likely the biggest plus for us as we can have a stream line process from sketch to final construction document set. In general we are able to work very quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Some of the 3d modeling tools are a little cumbersome. I have experience in Rhino which gives excellent control of 3d objects in general I miss that in Vectorworks. However I understand that they are completely different softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software works best when you use solid shapes as opposed to line work only. I have experience in Adobe Illustrator and many features are similar in Vectorworks.

The basic BIM features for schedules in the file help speed up the drawings and allow for changes to occur fairly seamlessly

Vectorworks Arch review by User in Computer Software

"An horrible case of bloatware"

What do you like best?

Don't like it at all, and would like to replace it with alternatives

What do you dislike?

I started using this architectural software when it was minicad 2.5. At that time it was mac only, elegant, intuitive and great to use. A forerunner in its field. Vectorworks is a horrible piece of software that has remained in the 1980s. To do anything one has to open multiple dialogue boxes which are all unintuitive and confusing. It is a case of software engineers being given control of the user interface. Someone, with proper user interface expericen, has to take it back to the basic and rewrite the software from the grounds up.

Also the pricing structure sucks. To be forced to pay $600 every year for a something that does not add anything is unacceptable.

Renovation projects in London

Vectorworks Arch review by Hyruan M.
Hyruan M.

" Using Vectorworks Architect as an Architect"

What do you like best?

The program is an evolution of simple CAD, leading to another level of experience, starting with the management of drawings by layers, which facilitates viewing levels and understanding of the plant (even for the customer!). The whole design is done in 3D with BIM technology, it makes the design reconciliations (architectural, civil, hydraulic , electric, etc.) are stored in greater accuracy and clarity.

And best of all, it is much cheaper and easier to work than AutoCad and Revit.

What do you dislike?

The software requires much computer processing, ie good computers. And good computers are expensive. Which raises another expense to the office/company, but worth the investment, which will pay for seeing productivity increase considerably.

Another thing is that sometimes the software does not properly export the DWGs, which creates some discomfort with offices using other software such as Autocad, which is the most in Brazil, the country that I live, but everything is solved with a phone call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend implementing the Vectorworks software, not only this software, as other BIM software. The programs should not be a problem, but a means of reaching a final result of something much bigger.

Vectorworks helped me a lot in the construction of knowledge as an architect, because as projects run faster, I have time to devote myself to other crafts and learning new things .

It proved to be very useful in predicting design problems, annotation features and detailing of various project scales, documentation and organization boards for printing. Agility, especially in the final stage of the project, which does not require adjustment of lines and colors (already set when drawing). And best of all, you draw is exactly what will be plotted.

Vectorworks Arch review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Simple tools that are so powerful. ."

What do you like best?

Making pallets of only the tools I use everyday.

What do you dislike?

If anything it would have to be the overall cost. However less than AutoCad

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to be able to work with other companies and people using different software this is the software that will be the most compatible.

Even the Mac and Windows files are compatible with each other without conversion or save as.

The befit of using VectorWorks is that I can use graphics and engineering drawings and output files to AutoCad and my colleagues don't even know I don't use AutoCad.

Vectorworks Arch review by Jessica T.
Jessica T.

"Great Software"

What do you like best?

The 2D aspect of the software is great for seeing what your drawing is going to look like before printing. Our firm does not primarily use the 3D side but from what I've used, I have been thrilled with the easy navigation of the tools that the software provides.

What do you dislike?

I think the 3D aspect of the software should be able to automatically update 2D drawings when a change is made in the 3D side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product to others because of the ease of use and instant quality of the drawings on the screen before printing.

We are trying to solve the drawing quality of the 3D side that the 2D side allows you to make. Example, line thickness of a drawing should be added into the 3D side with the same ease and simplicity as that of the 2D side.

Vectorworks Arch review by Dominic H.
Dominic H.

"Software which adds tremendous value, speed and quality to architectural planning"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks is used throughout my office, and it certainly wouldn't function without it. We've had alternatives such as AutoCAD, Revit, Archicad, but none have matched our experience with Vectorworks. Referencing other plans straight into files and overlaying is absolutely essential, both 2d and 3d work seamlessly. The UI is easy to learn, and users manage to completely adapt to the program within days. The layers and class system is straightforward and allows for very structured workflows within groups of people. The price is reasonable compared to other similar CAD software.

What do you dislike?

One of the most recent additions has been collaborative working within same documents, which I believe Nemetschek seems to have addressed. What I find strongly lacking are vector patterns, as well as textures. Finishing touches of architectural elevations for example are always, essentially, completed in Photoshop, because there is simply no way to create equally beautiful imagery straight from Vectorworks. Another strong drawback is Autocad functionality, and while dwg's are certainly supported, small mistakes appear constantly when importing them. Addition problems is the backwards compatibility, with files produced on previous versions being completely incompatible with newer ones. Rendering tools are also lackluster compared to other alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Due to the relative ease, lower price point, and technical ability of Vectorworks, I would certainly give a trial a go.

When working with subplanners that also use Vectorworks, the workflow simply seems to be at a higher speed than with alternative CAD software. The graphical abilities also allow for the production of final presentation plans, so while Photoshop can enhance them further, enough offices produce the majority of their competition plans straight from Vectorworks, meaning it replaces other software which could save other software costs.

Vectorworks Arch review by matthew S.
matthew S.

"Vectorworks is a Life Saver."

What do you like best?

I found the Vectorworks Architect to be relatively easy to jump into and learn. For the most part it feels rather intuitive. But the best thing about using Vectorworks is the integration of all the drawings. It really saves time and man power to when pushed up against tight deadlines.

What do you dislike?

There are some quirky things when it comes to customization. While i have found most anything i need to do, i can. Operations that require a greater level of customization tend to take longer than i think they should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vectorworks is a great product for getting into the world of BIM. It has allowed us to move from the world of 2D into the world of 3D documentation with very few growing pains. Overall, it is great product that i would highly recommend.

Tanking on bigger project scope without upsizing my firm has been the biggest benefit from having made the switch to Vectorworks.

User in Architecture & Planning

"The most versatile software out there"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks has always been great 2D software. About 10 years ago I started doing more and more 3D modeling. I am at the point where I created a complete model for every project and the time I save in creating documents is amazing. That Is benefit one. The great thing about Vectorworks is that it is not only for architectural models, but you can model anything you can dream up. You can render it and present it in hundreds of ways.

What do you dislike?

It does require a lot of computing power and my platform of choice has always been a Mac, so I have to spend a bit for my equipment to keep up with the software's capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend it for small to medium sized projects. I have not had experience with very large projects (> 60,000sf) or with work groups.

I love the software so much I went from being a full service architectural firm to just offering modeling, rendering, and construction document services to other architects. I am busier than ever and totally loving my work.

User in Architecture & Planning

"VW Architect is a great BIM tool that comes with amazing support."

What do you like best?

The efficiency. Using one program from schematic design to construction documents has been great. The resource manager is a great tool to reference and streamlines the design process. Being able to produce quality renderings throughout the design process has been a nice benefit. The (VSS) support has been exceptional. If/ when I have an issue I can get a response pretty quickly and have usually been able to rectify any issues I might have had, with the help of tech support. My salesman is pretty great to (Shane Swanson) - always easy to get a hold of and helpful when we talk.

What do you dislike?

The file size gets pretty large and slow when you incorporate as much as you can from the resource manager.

Occasionally I have to close and reopen the program because it seems glitchy. I've had some ghosting issues that appear and eventually disappear in a few files. I'm not sure what the cause is. I've had some crashing issues with past versions, but 2017 has been a pretty stable platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VW Architect has all of the tools you need, regardless of the size of your firm. I don't understand the migration to Revit. It's mind boggling, considering what VW can do for a fraction of the cost.

It's a clean, intuitive, streamlined tool that makes day to day tasks easier. We've realized how efficient VW can be, by reducing redundancy. We need less people involved on individual projects to attain the same level of work and detail.

Vectorworks Arch review by Bill G.
Bill G.

"Great BIM Software for the Mac Platform"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that the software is very user Friendly. The tools are easy to Identify as far as what tool does what function. The easy of use helps us in the cost of training in our office. We are a small office so the cost for such a powerful software is right on target for our needs. Vector works has been very good about staying on target with the demands and upcoming trends in the BIM software market

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more in the way of Structural tools in this software. The Architectural features are nice but the tools that provide structural members could use some work and the ability to edit them easily would be a big bonus.

The VR Features could still use some more polishing it would be nice for it to upload render works animated renderings as wells the open GL renderings.

We would like to see the compatibility between Revit and opening Revit files to keep improving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software for small firms that want a lot options for a great price.

The biggest problem this software helps with is coordination throughout our plans. Everything is linked together which helps in fewer missed mistakes.

more and more of our contractors are using BIM during the construction process, so being able to send files back and forth in a BIM format on complicated projects has been great.

Vectorworks Arch review by Danny M.
Danny M.

"Versatile design software"

What do you like best?

I've used Vectorworks for about 13 years for everything from renders to sell jobs, permit sets, shop drawings, and output for digital manufacturing. I've even been able to use the BIM functions to keep track of parts and BOM for product design.

What do you dislike?

I have had trouble with exporting colored lines requested by my laser cutter, I believe this has been solved in recent versions.

I like that I can turn to a single piece of software for pretty much any design task coming across my desk.

Vectorworks Arch review by Bob Y.
Bob Y.

"Some room to improve"

What do you like best?

I do appreciate the flexibility to use the program to suite my method of producing working drawings. I am still learning all the features to streamline this process. The new file tabs for each drawing file open was a welcome feature. The way the tool boxes now attach to the window is a plus.

What do you dislike?

Little I dislike. Selecting views using a drop menu could better be served with tabs along the bottom of the window. The majority of drawing time is spent moving between views.

Problem with some fonts I use where some characters not plotting

Ability to collaborate is making communication with consultants and clients more streamline.

Vectorworks Arch review by randy c.
randy c.

"Full featured C.A.D. program for a realistic price equals tremendous value."

What do you like best?

Veiwports are the bomb. Assembling sheets with drawings created on design layers using viewports keeps everything synced and systematic.

What do you dislike?

The 2016 version takes too long to boot up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go get this software. Nothing compares for the price. Easy to use and powerful. It will make you a beast.

Design Development drawings for client communication.

Client presentations combining Vectorworks Architect 3D modeling capabilities with Renderworks.

Construction Documents sets for permit submittals and fabrication.

Code analysis and egress diagrams

Vectorworks Arch review by Samuel S.
Samuel S.

"Best business decision! and a No-Brainer!!"

What do you like best?

I love how intuitive Vectorworks is! It was very easy to transition form auto-cad and sketchup.

What do you dislike?

nothing yet! It's all been positive, the support from the selective service team is amazing!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just make the move away from the other guys, it will be he best decision for your business and clients!

The ability to showcase TOP 3d-graphics to all my clients on small projects. They can see and understand the design from a new perspective, leading to better design decisions and in the end a highly satisfied customer!

Vectorworks Arch review by Tom K.
Tom K.

"Jack of All TrDes"

What do you like best?

Vectororks does so much, and so much of it well. It is a full BIM solution, an excellent free surface modeler, a decent rendering solution, and a full AutoCAD replacement. It works well with almost any software.

What do you dislike?

Minority software. It does have an expansive list of import and export options, but still less convenient then being in the Autodesk suite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The learning curve from AutoCAD is not as steep as it might seem.

Vectororks is my full service BIM and rendering solution for my architecture office. It 3 softwares in one and our workhorse.

Vectorworks Arch review by Jeff R.
Jeff R.

"Custom Woodworker using Vectorworks"

What do you like best?

Versatility of Vectorworks. I like the ability to use 3-D if needed and have resources I can use from drawing to drawing without redrawing.

What do you dislike?

Complexity of some of the menu boxes. Understanding the function of some tools becomes difficult if you do not understand all the terms used within the menu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use online resources or a training seminar to help with understanding the most efficient uses.

The ability to offer customers an excellent representation of the project.

User in Design

"I've retired and can now only justify Fundamentals; "Fun" should not be part of that name "

What do you like best?

Architect was really ok -- lots and lots of options. Back in the day, arguing MiniCad over AutoCad for a large design project, I won the day with a contest counting keystrokes to create a drawing. You won then and I suspect your still may?

What do you dislike?

When it comes right down to it the bits, the columns, furniture, stairs, etc. were quite generic and I often ended up creating my own. I suppose that's just my design sense. However, in the best of all worlds it would have been nice to be able to modify the Vectorworks bits and keeping more of their functionality rather than starting from scratch. Beyond that -- I wish your questions were about Fundamentals which seems to me should serve as a gateway drug to the full packages. I am so pissed that it is more difficult to do a vertical section or interior elevation in this stripped down thing than with a T Square. As a newby, I'd walk away from Fundamentals so fast. If I started in Fundamentals, there is no way I would invest in to Architect. You need to find a better balance between functionality and features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Put some time into Fundamentals -- your gateway drug. It's got some brick walls that will stop many/most newbies.

Volunteer exhibit design for the reworking of a Historical Society and Museum.

Vectorworks Arch review by Robert S.
Robert S.

"Room to grow"

What do you like best?

I have been using vectorworks for more than a decade. It has grown with me as my own skills increase. It's a kick ass 2-d drawing program with excellent graphic design features and control. A user can go fully 2d, startusing some BIM features or go all-in on BIM.

What do you dislike?

There are some aspects that need work,- stairs and roofs are still difficult to control. I also find that with my high performance home work, I use non-standard detailing which takes a lot of work to initially set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

get training

My speed and familiarity with Vectorworks allows me to speed up production incrementally as I learn more and more about the program

Vectorworks Arch review by Daniel B.
Daniel B.

"Capable software with an acquired taste: "

What do you like best?

Feels more like using Adobe Illustrator than, say, AutoCAD. Powerful, easy-to-use 2D polygon editing. The 3D modelling isn't too convoluted: able to work with simple massing. The Renderworks engine may not be what a lot of people require in terms of professional-quality output, but is capable of getting some decent results.

What do you dislike?

Having used Revit comprehensively, feel like Vectorworks is literally years behind in terms of BIM integration, worksharing and parametric customisation. Have not yet had the opportunity to delve into Vectorworks in terms of scripting, but from what I can gather from the online resources I can find, there are still a fair few holes in the program and its 'best practice' workflow to be plugged!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely trial the product to see if it will be your preferred platform. As a user of AutoCAD for ~16 years (and Revit for ~5 years), my personal opinion is that Autodesk are the industry standard for a reason! That said, I may just be a victim of indoctrination from a young age!

The requirements of the rest of your design team are also worth considering. Interoperability with other software was not the best when I first started using the software. Has improved over the last 2 releases and will hopefully continue to do so, but a deeper, more realistic approach to adopting BIM needs to be on the cards. Nemetschek's acquisition of Graphisoft means they now have both ArchiCAD and Vectorworks; best to have a quick look to the future for both software packages before making a purchase.

Have been looking at the way the company have had front-end sketch schemes that practically need a complete re-draw when working drawings are inevitably required. Trying to organise a workflow that makes it easier to provide a decent amount of information at tender stage, which can then be fleshed out further down the line without having to 'reinvent the wheel'! This is somewhat achievable in Vectorworks.

User in Architecture & Planning

"I have been using Vectorworks in all its previous iterations since early versions of Minicad in 1985"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. I have been using it for a long time and developed my own techniques. Unfortunately this does not allow me to use all it features but I find it most useful for me as a sole practitioner.

What do you dislike?

Too sensitive when using an Apple magic mouse....it takes off on its own sometimes when my finger is not touching the mouse but just in the proximity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Offer a simpler version with fewer features to support use as a 2D drafting and cad program. I really do still not have the skills to utilize the full palette of 3D and rendering stuff.

I use it for all aspects of my practice.

Vectorworks Arch review by Judy C.
Judy C.

"The most intuitive CAD program for MAC users"

What do you like best?

How easy and intuitive the program is; drafting is a pleasure!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about Vectorworks is that I don't know all of its features. But that's my issue. I need to dedicate time to continually learn about the program features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I attended Vectorworks training at its headquarters prior to subscribing, and purchased the software upon completion of the training. My recommendation is that you get training so that you understand how to use the software when you purchase it.

design visualization (for clients) and design documentation (for us)

Vectorworks Arch review by Nicole D.
Nicole D.

"Lifetime User"

What do you like best?

I like the viewport interface between design layers and sheet layouts.

I also really like the new opacity controls!

What do you dislike?

I don't like setting up and changing wall styles.

I feel like a lot of the things I didn't like have become non-issues with 2017.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I interface with consultants who do not use Vectorworks with 9/10 ease. I usually need to do a couple test runs when exporting from Vectorworks for a new consultant but once I learn what works for them it is fairly seamless.

I love using Vectorworks as a graphics tool for zoning and master planning diagrams that show layers of data.

Vectorworks Arch review by User in Museums and Institutions
User in Museums and Institutions

"Works for Exhibit Design"

What do you like best?

With each new release, Vectorworks' rendering engine (Cinema 4D) get better and better as does the processing power in general. Renderworks allows me to create beautiful, lie-like images of museum designs, not yet built, and the increased power and 64-bit system allow our whole team to contribute to files without fear of overloading.

What do you dislike?

I am unimpressed with the current ability for multiple people to work in one file at the same time. In its current form, it is just too confusing.

I dislike how one has to have the file that you are referencing from, open in order to reference. AutoCAD has streamlined this.

We are able to meet the increased expectations of what the clients want visualized. Be it animation, early concepts, or fully-realized renderings.

Vectorworks Arch review by Wanda M.
Wanda M.

"Love Vectorworks Architect!"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn, great tech support, Great Training. I work alone so, I can quickly go from design to Construction documents easily.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the product, it is so powerful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best CAD program to use for a small firm!

The benefits are that you work in 3D and you can model quickly to present your design quickly to clients.

Vectorworks Arch review by Tom B.
Tom B.

"Good for solo architect"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn. One of the first truly 3D object based cad programs

What do you dislike?

No repeat command for repetitive tasks. No undo arrow like most every other program in the world has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it.

(Note to G2: I'm on a tablet and traveling at the moment t, so I didn't have a screenshot on this tablet device. Will upload or email one if requested. Thanks.)

Easy to model schemes and create semi-complete schematics. Very professional presentation impression.

Vectorworks Arch review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Vectorworks Architect modeling "

What do you like best?

I have been a long tome user of Vectoworks and like the simplicity and the ability to generate excellent graphics

What do you dislike?

Often I find it hard to make the cross over to full 3-d BIM ,

I am able to have my clients review complex model and don't have to depend on 2-d floors plan to explain

Vectorworks Arch review by Lee C.
Lee C.

"Vectorworks 2015 review"

What do you like best?

I've been using this software for 20 years since its early days. I find it far more intuitive than other systems I've used in the past. Now that I'm adopting a BIM workflow, or at least headed that way, its built in plug in objects make it easy to develop a design concept quickly. The use of layers and classes allow for easy control of attributes and features both in the model and in the drawing sheets. A drawing can be generated fairly quickly and look great too. Perhaps my frame of reference is narrow, but I just enjoy using it. Since I also have Renderworks, I can quickly study solar angles and generate decent renderings quickly. I've been able to create really nice renderings with a bit more time and effort.

What do you dislike?

I would like the software designers to spend a bit more time with architects who work on existing buildings and reach out to them to see how the software can be adapted to the work flow of an architect who has to balance the complexities of older buildings, manage demolition of features and model building parts that are not clean and simple like new construction. I also find that it still takes up too much memory for my taste and I'd like it not to be limited to accessing 4GB of RAM. Sheet layer renders and other renderings still take too long for my work flow. I still have unusual crashes and unexplained things happen at times. Perhaps my criticism would go for all CAD/BIM platforms and not just VW.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it on a full project and make your decision. It's far more affordable than just about any other package out there. The VSS fees are considerably lower than other software subscription fees.

Most of my work somehow deals with an existing building. Being able to create models of existing conditions faster would be an ease on my mind as well as more efficient and cost effective. I have found good results and quick output for new construction. Even though I've been a software user for 20 years, I am still learning to use it the way it's intended with PIO's, automated features. However, I'd rather it give in to me rather than I give in to it. I'd also like to be able to extract data out of space objects and not rely on creating records off of polygons.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Full featured CAD/BIM solution"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to integrate 2D Cad, 3D BIM, and images into a single file presentation to working drawing solution.

What do you dislike?

Files do get large. You have to make sure you're computer has the specification but CPU and GPU to handle it if you want to use all of the features.

I am able to to do the work of a much larger office and exercise control over all aspects of the process. I have also been able to share work with people in my city as well as around the world.

Vectorworks Arch review by François L.
François L.

"Vectorworks Architect is BIM for design"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks integrates robust free-form 3D modeling, BIM modeling, 2D drafting, and excellent rendering (with Renderworks) into a single application. Having all these aspects of architectural software integrated in a single application supports the inherently iterative nature of the design process—the user doesn't have to export a 3D model to BIM and then draft separately. When the inevitable design changes and refinements occur downstream, it's easy to explore 3D options free-form, render them, incorporate them into the BIM model, and update any supporting 2D documentation.

What do you dislike?

I don't have Vectorworks dislikes per se. I would say that while Vectorworks already has a good multi-user environment, I'm looking forward to improvements in those feature sets. And like any sophisticated software, the user has to take the time to thoroughly learn the software Since Vectorworks is so broad, there's a lot of ground to cover. Once those tools are in place, though, the user can become phenomenally productive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a design-oriented architecture firm using Mac or Windows, I highly recommend Vectorworks Architect with Renderworks. Seat costs, while decidedly at a professional level, are about half of competitors. Take those savings and invest in training with your new software (good advice for any software really).

Vectorworks allows me to be extremely efficient with my time; in the same time that other software users might develop a plan, I've explored 2 or 3 design options and developed a very informative 3D model. Vectorworks makes me fast.

I also routinely use the worksheet and reporting functions of Vectorworks to quantitatively support my qualitative design decisions. While I'm designing, I'm also doing sun studies in realtime, generating door and window schedules, material and area takeoffs, checking the rainwater harvesting capacity of a roof, assessing the ratio of south-facing glass to internal thermal mass, and/or validating estimates of passive cooling with a thermal chimney. I never have to export to do this; I've built these tools right into my workflow.

Vectorworks Arch review by User

"Vectorworks and its compatibility with laying out art exhibitions"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ability for Vectorworks to accommodate imagery and have this imagery be integrated into a variety of views. Especially handy when working on display with a multitude of objects, graphics, and lighting

What do you dislike?

The lighting options take some getting used to. Not as intuitive as I would like. Also, it take more time than I'm willing to spend to go deeper and more resolved with some of the rendering functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good to use for internal solutions and designs. Transitions easily from 2d to 3D.

In terms of business and related efficiencies, Vectorworks is a tool in which to provide my institution designs to share and collaborate with various trades and colleagues

Vectorworks Arch review by Camille B.
Camille B.

"New Vectorworks user "

What do you like best?

- I like the way the viewports work and are placed in the sheet layers with the choices to crop the layout and add annotations.

- The software is fairly easy to use and understand. Even if you are a new user, it will take only a day or so to be able to use it. It is much easier than other software.

- It is nice that there is an automatic backup.

- As I have been using Archicad before, I like that VW works the same way, you don't just draw lines but you build walls, place windows...

What do you dislike?

- As I was an archicad user before, there are a few tools in Archicad such as Demolished - Existing - New filter that don't exist in Vectorworks. It would be great to have this in the future.

- What would also be nice to have is to be able to have more than one user at a time opening the same file (eg: teamwork in Archicad)

- The 3D is not as easy to work with and make modification.

- I had some issues with some files crashing. I am not sure if it is because of the its size or what but it made me lost some of my work in the past. I chose to change the backup time to 5 min.

- I had issues placing windows and doors into specific walls. Sometimes I feel that my drawings aren't as precise as they should be because of accuracy of placement and adjustments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good software that is easy to use, easy to layout drawings and export PDFs.

residential

Vectorworks Arch review by Chris F.
Chris F.

"Registered Architect for 15 years and have worked in the profession for 25 years and use VW"

What do you like best?

Quick and easy to create 3D BIM models. Multiple layers act as xreferences better than Autocad. Can use 3D model to assist in creating detail sections.

What do you dislike?

Note, notes, callout symbols are hard to control and keep consistent. You can't save callout symbols perimeters and going from design layer to sheet layer annotation viewport throws off text size.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very Good to Great BIM and rendering ability. Inexpensive and easy to use.

3D BIM helps me find where potential intersection problems can exist.

Vectorworks Arch review by Christine N.
Christine N.

"Vectorworks-ideal option for small firm"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks is a design, production and rendering software package that allows even a single-person firm to create design development through complete construction documentation with ease and intuitively. Design can be created in 3D later translated into 2Dproduction drawings . Client presentations can be created as rendered printouts, animations, walk throughs and real time3D model views. With previous experience in AutoCAD, I found the learning curve steep and finding tools relatively easy. The price was very reasonable for a full BIM software platform, particularly for a small firm. I found it to be easily worth the return on investment than more pricey, complex packages, such as REVIT, for my needs.

What do you dislike?

Greatest drawback in the version I used was that it did not project text and and dimension callouts in the 3D version, however, that may appears to have changed in more recent iterations of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider getting this for your arsenal of production software if you are a smaller firm. If you are working with other firms using other BIM software platforms, I would recommend assessing the ROI on purchasing a REVIT or other (more comprehensive) platform.

I used VW to input an existing 4000 SF home and design a complex, multi-phase full home renovation. The information conveyed to both the owner and contractor was straightforward, easy to understand, and met all the requirements of current building construction information. There were few if any questions based on the information that the VW created presentation documents through final CDs created with this package. I would use again for small scale projects.

Vectorworks Arch review by Bennie B.
Bennie B.

"Vectorworks Architect Review by an Architect"

What do you like best?

I like a comprehensive architectural workflow solution from a vendor that has demonstrated a long-standing commitment to the Mac OS community. I like the fantastic graphic capabilities and the robust database integration. I like the balance across the various aspects of the architectural workflow. I like the scalability of the features, facilitating work on a broad range of projects with varying degrees of complexity. I like the cross-platform implementation. I like the reasonable entry threshold, allowing an untrained person to start using the package productively while organically expanding their skill level.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the scale-specificity of design layers. This requires additional attention when documents have to be developed for large-scale buildings, or when changes are necessary to the drawing set.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at drawing sets produced by Vectorworks, and compare them to sets produced by competing candidates.

1. Mac OS based architectural software.

2. Soup-to-nuts architectural drawing management system.

3. Effective drawing coordination.

4. Streamlined PDF publishing.

5. Reasonable cost.

User in Design

"Vw, great looking at the expense of UI"

What do you like best?

The lighting feature is great to simulate how light travels in the space you design. I think that's the coolest feature.

What do you dislike?

The interface is OK, but it could be better. Rendering times are incredibly slow, and I've had colleagues who had their computers crash because of the program. Applying textures is also daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're an architect, I recommend this program. If you're an exhibit designer, you might want to stick to SketchUp and Adobe. The sheets feature is very cumbersome, but if you're an architect and are willing to work through it, then your cut sheets will look better. I honestly can think of a lot of what SketchUp has that Vectorworks could be replaced with. It's so much easier to use. I've also had files become corrupted and I work on a MAC where that rarely happens.

No business problems. I used this program as a student. I don't see any benefits, and in fact I use SketchUp now for any spatial designs.

Vectorworks Arch review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Vectorworks Architect / Best In Class"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Vectorworks Architect is:

● the wealth of features available to accomplish any task at hand

● ease of use in navigating the user interface to find the appropriate tools for a given project

● the generous selection of import and export file options

● the ability to easily change the various parameters of all of the objects created regardless of how far along you are

What do you dislike?

What I dislike best about Vectorworks Architect is:

● that it is not more widely used by creators worldwide

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a very well developed software application for architects specifically and 3D creators in general.

Vectorworks has enabled me to create freely not be limited by the software's features/options.

I have increased the speed and efficiency of my workflow allowing me to work with more individuals and companies.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Powerful software with great potential that still struggles with bugs and its own legacy"

What do you like best?

Extremely capable 3D modeling that's very well integrated with equally capable, very graphically rich 2D drafting, along with powerful, built-in, rendering capabilities.

What do you dislike?

Too many things don't work as one would expect, either due to bugs in the software, convoluted tools and workflows, or an apparent lack of understanding on the part of the software's developers when it comes to how buildings actually go together and the related needs of those using the software to communicate such information.

The ability to create a single 3D model and then extract meaningful 2D drawings and expressive 3D renderings from that model is typically very beneficial when it comes to the efficient development of a design and the production of subsequent construction drawings.

"Great user interface"

What do you like best?

It feels like drawing on paper, but you are using the screen. It's much more 'personable' than AutoCAD, which feels like I am operating a machine when I use it.

What do you dislike?

Not that many people use it so I have to export to DWG. It would be nice if it were more well known.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It somehow has the feeling of old fashioned pen and paper drawing in a CAD program

We design our work almost completely with this program.

Vectorworks Arch review by Severn C.
Severn C.

"Vectorworks Architect is a great BIM alternative"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks BIM manages a good compromise between full 3d and 2d - this makes it easier to choose the level of detail at which to work to fit the task.

What do you dislike?

Vectorworks has a much smaller user base among professionals and students, so we end up having to do more in-house training.

BIM - as a small practice, automating the 'boring' stuff helps us be more agile and responsive.

Vectorworks Arch review by Brian H.
Brian H.

"Great for all size projects from renovations and additions to multi-family and commercial projects."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Ability to use a single program from schematic design through construction documents. Powerful 3D modeling and pleasing 2D graphics. Integrated BIM and IFC objects. Rendering and visualization straight from the documents without a 3rd party program. Support for multiple import and export options to work with other programs.

What do you dislike?

Revit and AutoCAD are the major market share for the architectural design industry. Direct translation to and from Revit is not supported by AutoDesk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vectorworks Architect is a powerful program that is fairly easy to learn. Sole practitioners can produce a complete set of drawings and renderings.

Schematic Design through Construction Documents are easy to produce with the program. Clients are impressed with the visual renderings and walk through capabilities

Vectorworks Arch review by Jeremiah R.
Jeremiah R.

"Flexible BIM for Architects"

What do you like best?

One of the greatest features of Vectorworks is the ability to simultaneously work in 2D and 3D with ease. Other BIM softwares that I have used force you into 3D full time while allowing 2D line work on page views or detail views only.

What do you dislike?

Some of the native objects are not as flexible as they could be. For instance there is no bay window tool. The work around for this is to create the bay walls and insert windows in each piece of wall. This is inconvenient, time consuming and does not give you a true bay window that would be all one piece. The other option is to model in place, but this does not allow the window to be on your window schedule. The dormer tool for the roof is also not very good. It's near impossible to accurately model the roof profile of the dormers.

The biggest benefit is the speed with which I can create a decent set of documents as well as the customization of line weights and appearance.

Vectorworks Arch review by Andre V.
Andre V.

"Great for complex architectural design and great graphical interface."

What do you like best?

VW has a great graphic interface, not too dissimilar from using illustrator. Its easy to use and more intuitive than Autocad at times. Produces great presentation drawings.

What do you dislike?

Graphic interface can sometimes make working slow or laggy while drafting. The accuracy is not as good as AutoCAD. Sometimes you thing your snapping directly onto a line where in reality your a few fractions of an inch off, visually this is not too much of a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore the trial version first and weight up your requirements agains what AutoCAD or similar software have to provide.

We are solving complex design problems for clients and have benefited greatly from clean and crisp presentation drawings that never cease to please the client.

Vectorworks Arch review by Geoff G.
Geoff G.

"Vectorworks Architect facilitates a spectrum of documentation and visualization. "

What do you like best?

The range of tools that span from basic CAD drafting to a full BIM work flow to rendering/visualization.

What do you dislike?

Occasional lingering bugs in newer tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a trial run and get a sense of how capable the package is. It is rare that a program is as versatile at a professional quality level.

The ability to full develop, present, and document a project is essential for a firm like mine.

Vectorworks Arch review by User in Information Technology and Services

"VectorWorks Review"

What do you like best?

I Have been using VectorWorks since it was MiniCad. It's intuitive, comprehensive and affordable.

What do you dislike?

It has gotten more expensive over the years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great CAD product. I haven't used the 3D lately, so can't tell if it has improved in usability. I use Sketch -Up for 3D, since it is easier to make quick models to study shadows and massing, etc.

VectorWorks allows me to quickly provide all my architectural services to my clients. I can send digital files to clients, contractors and public agencies. Rapid communication saves time and money.

Vectorworks Arch review by Matthew L.
Matthew L.

"Architect"

What do you like best?

I liked that it was clearly designed by people who understand how architects work. It is extremely intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it's not a widely accepted standard platform, this means whenever we bring on someone new, we had to account for a learning curve. The 3D objects were a little difficult to use. When i used it, it wasn't great for 3D models/rendering, and it forced me to use a second piece of software. I

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend this piece of software for small to medium sized firms. As i mentioned previously the only real problem is the additional time and cost associated with training new employees. Importing and Exporting options are pretty good, but i think stronger integration with google sketchup would be a good feature to add.

We were just using it for document production, but all of our graphics and presentations were generated with other software. The benefit was just the speed of production

User in Architecture & Planning

"Started when it was Mini Cad and stayed with it."

What do you like best?

Has Classes AND Layers, much more intuitive than Autocad.

What do you dislike?

The need to upgrade computer every 2 releases. BIM

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have been using Vectorworks since it was called "Mini Cad" and have found that it's consistently been very good for both design and permit drawings. Have tried Autocad and it does not come close to the capabilities and intuitive use of Vectorworks.

Clarity of presentations to clients

Vectorworks Arch review by Administrator in Computer Hardware
Administrator in Computer Hardware

"Best architectural design and Spec drawing with 3 D ever"

What do you like best?

We started to use Vectorworks since it was miniCad. Vectorworks Architect and 3D

What do you dislike?

The rendering is sometimes slow, but with a better Mac CPU is acceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We would like to see better rendering speed and Animation id posible.

We Design and do all Specification drawings and Details. Most engineering drawings etc.

Vectorworks Arch review by Johnnie V. L.
Johnnie V. L.

"Great Competition for the Big CAD Guys"

What do you like best?

This package is one of the most comprehensive of the major CAD providers.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve was fairly steep. I had several workshop sessions at Nemetschek and had representatives visit my office. We eventually purchased the product but never fully adopted it ,for everyday use because the office had been previously exposed to ACAD, so the entire office never really became conversant in its use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend this software if one has the ability to invest the time to properly learn how to use the software.

We used it for condocs and had minor success in using it for presentations and proposals.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Vectorworks has transformed my practice."

What do you like best?

Working in 3D leads to faster and better solutions, then documenting them in 2D is a snap.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything. I just wish the 3D work flow was a little more intuative, like Sketch-up.

Architectural Designs can be realized and communicated much sooner. That is the biggest benefit.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Better than other product"

What do you like best?

Easy way to create working drawing and presentation document at same platform

What do you dislike?

Need a lot of update and download the plug in after installation

does not required to spend lots of time or 3rd party outsourcing to prepare the construction documents

Vectorworks Arch review by User

"What You See is what you Get!"

What do you like best?

The closest thing to hand drafting. Seeing lines at actual thickness instead of having to remember layers is great.

What do you dislike?

Not intuitive enough. As a longtime Mac office , that’s an expectation of all programs we use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Truly industry focused & not obtuse like CAD. BIM modeling & materials calc so easy!

Great working drawings for all projects that are quickly modified as needed. Easy to interface with other dwgs from engineers etc.

Vectorworks Arch review by William K.
William K.

"I am a Vectorworks user since the change from MiniCad"

What do you like best?

Great adaptation and improvement in every chapter every year. Very friendly interface. High quality in presentation for the clients. Good for team work

What do you dislike?

i love the software and and it's ok for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful software for architects

Architecture projects and small constructions

Vectorworks Arch review by Architect C.
Architect C.

"The thinking architect's choice "

What do you like best?

superposition of layers and classes, and saved views affords user-friendly control of visibility.

design layer section viewports in multiple working planes

made for apple mac

What do you dislike?

IFC record formats hidden. crash on cancellation of reference update !

hidden line viewport rendering time.

'generic' solids from other cad imports not editable - necessitating redraw of extrusions

Recommendations to others considering the product

get a mac version

3d production information for complex geometry structures - 3d cad model direct to factory production

Vectorworks Arch review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Drafting for Television "

What do you like best?

It has a user face very similar to Adobe Illustrator and the libraries of simple items.

What do you dislike?

The viewports confuse me but that is more on me

ease of use and workflow. I am not solving any real problems or curing cancer I just design sets

"Powerful but buggy "

What do you like best?

The range of features and tools are great. It is fairly easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The program crashes a lot. I find the glitches become more frequent the large your drawings get or the more you use it

Recommendations to others considering the product

Affordable powerful program but be prepared for glitches

My primary use is designed solutions for small commercial projects. The program's 3d capacity and rendering ability is helpful in visualizing the project and allowing you to comprehend the scope of work.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Vectorworks and architecture "

What do you like best?

Drawings are created in final quality.

You can do SD to CD in own program.

Rendering is integrated into the modeling program.

Built in resources are helpful.

What do you dislike?

3D model tools are challenging to adjust to.

Not as many clear online tutorials as other products.

Slow to open initially.

The ability to easily draw, scale, and annotate drawings is helpful.

The addition of project sharing has improved efficiency on larger projects.

Vectorworks Arch review by User

"Great software for TV and Film design"

What do you like best?

It's so great to use Vectorworks for designing for film. I have tried different platforms and bu far my favorite one is this one. Very complete software that allows me to deliver the best work in the most efficient way.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when the file reaches a large size, crashes seem imminent with certain plugins.

With Vectorworks, I have become a fast drafter, allowing me to deliver projects much more efficiently.

Vectorworks Arch review by Greg H.
Greg H.

"Occcasional Vectorworks User"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks provides a robust set of tools to meet many of the needs of any Architect. With an easy and intuitive interface and the ability to take 2d drafting to 3d rendering.

What do you dislike?

The main drawback to using Vectorworks in the US is the lack of adoption, hindering the ability to find other designers on the same platform to collaborate with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vectorworks provides tools that are more than adequate to perform design and documentation. Study the program carefully and look at the competition to weigh the competitive value of the software.

I use Vectorworks primarily to communicate with clients that are using the same software.

Vectorworks Arch review by Sarah B.
Sarah B.

"Strong but needs to find more Collaborators"

What do you like best?

Certain things about this program are indispensable Lighting, Landscape, and the Stair Tool.

What do you dislike?

Not industry standard, a little bit too dumbed down. If you could market it as a more accessible version of Revit, I think it would catch the people who want to hop on the BIM wagon but know that Revit is a very hard place to start.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you use it for it's fullest potential. There are a ton of tools and features in this program.

It's a great architectural support tool but may not be the full package. It is amazing for set design or landscape design.

Vectorworks Arch review by Andrea F.
Andrea F.

"The best software for design and architecture"

What do you like best?

Flexibility. You can do everything, and you can do visual scripting with Marionette.

What do you dislike?

Missing vector shadows in line render and automatic red/yellow functionality (project comparison)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great if you use for 2D/3D design, Architecture, Landscape, and visual scripting (Marionette).

It's a CAD, one of the best.

Vectorworks Arch review by Giovanni Marco P.
Giovanni Marco P.

"Amazing cad software"

What do you like best?

I use Vectorworks since 15 years. Never disappointed! Amazing cad software with huge possibilities!

What do you dislike?

It need more support to dwg files. Especially with huge files from autocad it get really slow!

I usually design everything of my job on vectorworks. it helps me in any situation about CAD

Vectorworks Arch review by Brendan C.
Brendan C.

"Best CAD for Macs"

What do you like best?

Seemless/intuitive CAD operational commands.

What do you dislike?

'Fundamentals' version does not import PDF files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a bargain per licensed seat.

VWX Software works across our entire Mac office platform with other office Mac software.

User in Design

"Robust and High Customize-able "

What do you like best?

I like the scale of being able to make large and small things. Site to a chair.

What do you dislike?

Overly complex at times for simple quick task. Would like a standardized set of view preloaded etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like it a lot but the competitors are demanding a lot more market share when it comes to skills outside of school

Designing chairs and other furniture pieces

Vectorworks Arch review by Carlos K.
Carlos K.

"best CAD software in the market."

What do you like best?

easy to learn, it makes drawing very easy.

What do you dislike?

more hatch library. and more tools for 3d

all interior design, architecture problems

User in Architecture & Planning

"My firm has used Vectorworks for almost 10 years and have found it to be everything we need!"

What do you like best?

Level of model complexity that is possible within the software.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for new users. If a Vectorworks Lite was available to get users started I think it would help new converts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep practicing. VW is NOT Autocad. . .

We are able to complete more work with fewer staff members which has allowed us more flexibility and profitability.

"Cad on a budget"

What do you like best?

Compatibility, versatility and 3D capability

What do you dislike?

Software is often buggy and crashes to often in my opinion

N/A

User in Architecture & Planning

"Principal /e3 design lab "

What do you like best?

Vectorworks is more intuitive than Autocadd, I use both. I like the zoom line weights,and some of the commands.

What do you dislike?

How large the file become. The compatibility with other mainstream software.

The conversion of files from vectorworks to auto cadd still have issues with line weight, and objects. I have been trying to use vectorworks in the office but others prefer auto add.

Vectorworks Arch review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

"Reborn "

What do you like best?

User friendly intuitive inter connections

What do you dislike?

Price is always a concern I know it's less than some.

3D cross checks with HVAC an structure

Vectorworks Arch review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Vectorworks Review"

What do you like best?

-great for variety of projects from interiors to exteriors to furniture design

-slow to render

- textures are pretty good

What do you dislike?

-steep learning curve

-in-program furnishings are just okay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

--youtube tutorials are very helpful

-you can also upload from google warehouse - furniture and such

-great for interior designers who want to have an idea of what a final space will look like

-great for building custom furniture

"building integrated modeling"

What do you like best?

BIM is the most impressive part of Vectorworks - but with an easy user interface

What do you dislike?

Jumping from AutoCAD to vectorworks and back requires shifting around your approach so everything makes sense

design/build project in another country allows for translating drawings and revisions easily using vectorworkds

"Long time user"

What do you like best?

The integration of 2D and 3D is very powerful. The quality of the drawing output, material and symbol libraries and extensive tool palettes.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve with the drawing process and full software capabilities. It can at times become very glitchy.

Architecture and Design. Quick visualization results.

Vectorworks Arch review by Administrator

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use and understand. Great interface.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the resource libraries don't update and you have to install them again

Recommendations to others considering the product

Still needs to improve the resource library bug that doesn't update them.

Architects and designers

Vectorworks Arch review by Consultant in Architecture & Planning
Consultant in Architecture & Planning

"Have been using since Minicad days, the product gets better every release."

What do you like best?

All in one production and presentation software.

What do you dislike?

Needs better spread sheet editability. Spread sheet and schedule tools need to be a lot better. needs better import/export with revit.

Interior design, construction management, design, interior design, production.