Vectorworks Designer

Vectorworks, Inc. is a global design and BIM software developer serving over 650,000 professionals in the architecture, landscape and entertainment industries. Since 1985, we’ve been committed to helping designers capture inspiration, nurture innovation, communicate effectively and bring their visions to life. With our cross-platform software, designers can build data-rich, visual models without sacrificing the design process, while collaborating efficiently throughout the project life-cycle. Headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, Vectorworks is a part of the Nemetschek Group. Learn how we empower designers to create experiences that transform the world

Work for Vectorworks Designer?

Learning about Vectorworks Designer?

Vectorworks Designer Reviews

Ask Vectorworks Designer a Question
Showing 67 Vectorworks Designer reviews
Vectorworks Designer review by <span>Samuel C.</span>
Samuel C.

USER FOR OVER 10 YRS.

What do you like best?

The capacity to integrate design features between architecture, landscape architecture. mechanical engineering and urban design, not to forget the rendering capabilities of rendtrworks. The capacity to share big information with my consultants is also very important

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of things I dislike: when you upgrade from one version to the next, sometimes you loose information and programed preference or standards. That should not happen. The other thing is having to put so much time to input data to make the application possibilities a useful toll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended others to buy it. Most professionals in our area use Autocad or Revit. We are a minority here. that is the worst limitation as well as the difficulty in getting training at a reasonable price (traveling for training becomes an additional burden, and is not a continuous support)

I'm an Architect, landscape architect, and urban design. I use it for all my design projects in all the phases. I use the the rendering capabilities of renderworks for presentations, I they work fine. .

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Vectorworks Designer
Vectorworks Designer review by <span>Ron K.</span>
Ron K.

Most flexible software!

What do you like best?

Vectorworks Designer allows you to work in any way you prefer - there is no pre-defined workflow. It is extremely capable and can be as 2d or 3d as you like; it can be a BIM powerhouse, or a simple (yet sophisticated) drafting program. Great software and I did not even mention how robust its modeling capabilities are.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot! - but if I had to describe something it would be the overwhelming amount of options that it has (which makes it equally great).

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the creatives: just try it.

Vectorworks allow me to be extremely creative while producing great looking and well detailed construction documents. Everything from initial design to rendering for presentation all the way through construction documents can be performed without ever leaving the Vectorworks environment.

What Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) solution do you use?

Vectorworks Designer review by <span>Diane H.</span>
Diane H.

Landscape Design on Vectorworks

What do you like best?

This is a very intuitive program to use. It has many easy-to-use tools that create clear, easy to read drawings. The viewport function enables you to look at elements in detail and gives great flexibility in creating various drawing formats.

What do you dislike?

I have always had trouble with the text tool malfunctioning, despite a new issue each year. You cannot edit a text style once set up, which is awful, so you have to create a whole new text style just to change alignment or letter style. Going from one scale to another (in viewports) creates problems with text scale. I have even had it ignore a default style set for a certain class and substitute an entirely different text style, and continues to do so even after making sure the default style is what you want. It writes over itself sometimes. The drawing label tools doesn't work sometimes in viewports, but will work if written over the viewport (instead of as an annotation). I waste a ton of time fussing with the text tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a class or hire a tutor (which I did) to make the most of this product. It has so much more than I ever use, but I know it's there and continue to develop my knowledge of the program.

This enables me to produce plans quickly as an individual designer working alone. I can quickly import other drawings, photos, etc. and make them a component of my drawing. I do minimal hand drawing now which helps hand problems I've developed from years of drawing by hand.

Vectorworks Designer review by <span>John R.</span>
John R.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

VectorWorks is a great program with some room for improvement.

What do you like best?

The visibility of the drawing space. It is easy to see your work and changed between views and projections. Like the newer Cinema 4D-based rendering engine.

What do you dislike?

The layers and class feature is too complicated for basic work, an option for something closer to Illustrator layers would be preferred. The walkthrough/animation options to create movies of projects are too simplistic, having multiple and greater options for cameras would be preferred as well as camera-on-path tools would be great. Needs better polygon-level creation and editing tools for 3D work. So far, learning the new resource palette interface in VW 2017 is cumbersome. I am very used to the old resource palette format, learning a new one is time consuming. I wish the landscape generation tools could be updated, it is very hard to find on the Mac platform good tools for working with high-res DEM and related files to create realistic topography, this is one area VectorWorks could offer a more advanced capability to the Mac design world.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A program very useful for CAD and architecture.

Extremely versatile and important visualization tool for many different kinds of projects.

Vectorworks Designer review by <span>Kevin Lee A.</span>
Kevin Lee A.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Vectorworks n the perfect tool for the entertainment design team

What do you like best?

That's hard to say, and impossible to isolate into a single feature. I like the ability to collaborate either using symbol/layer referencing or Project Sharing. I like the streamlined design workflow. As a set designer, I can 'sketch in Vectorworks, turn the sketches into rendering, finesse the details, improve the renderings and create working drawings for the shops. I like the ability to collaborate, modify the model and have the modifications flow throughout my documentation. I like being able to share the model with the lighting designer (when I'm not also the LD) and the sound designer.

I think it's critical that we all work together to ensure smooth and safe installation.

The addition of Vision and the integration with Lightwright helps all off the design team, and the entire production team, not just the LD.

What do you dislike?

Huh? Dislike?

Vectorworks assigns classes to parts of/types of spotlight lighting devices. I would generally want to assign my own class structure. With objects like doors and windows there are drop downs for class assignment. I would like a choice to assign one class to all (allowing exceptions for glazing), I would like to be able to impose my own classing on object types like renderworks cameras, drawing labels, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it. Vectorworks Designer is a great suite of tools for all kinds of designers.

I think the workflow in one application and the coordination with clients and colleagues is the greatest benefit.

Vectorworks Designer review by <span>Danilo M.</span>
Danilo M.

Vectorworks Designer & Landmark

What do you like best?

I am simultaneously designing in 2D and 3D. There is no exporting to other software and modifying things that I have already created. Additionally, the file inter-operability with other brands of CAD software and other file types, such as PDFs and JPGs, makes incorporating information from other sources very easy.

What do you dislike?

Some tools seem a little more complex than they should be, like reshaping 3D objects. Sometimes I wish the interface were more like SketchUP, in a WYSISWG kind of way. Other tools require much pre-planning and setup before they will work, which is sometimes contrary to the early creative process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the needs of your company and what kind of information and documentation you receive from clients and collaborators. Also consider what kind of output you need other than just 2D drawings. If you do rendering, BIM, cost analysis or site data reporting with other software, you might be able to do all of that in VW at the same time as your design.

Since VW is very powerful in associating information to objects, I am preparing reports at the same time as I am drafting. This helps cut down the time it takes to do project cost forecasts of my work. I am able to deliver a better product to my clients at a competitive price because of this.

Learning about Vectorworks Designer?

* We monitor all Vectorworks Designer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.