Vectorworks Designer

Vectorworks, Inc. is a global design and BIM software developer serving over 650,000 professionals in the architecture, landscape and entertainment industries. Since 1985, we’ve been committed to helping designers capture inspiration, nurture innovation, communicate effectively and bring their visions to life. With our cross-platform software, designers can build data-rich, visual models without sacrificing the design process, while collaborating efficiently throughout the project life-cycle. Headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, Vectorworks is a part of the Nemetschek Group. Learn how we empower designers to create experiences that transform the world

Work for Vectorworks Designer?

Learning about Vectorworks Designer?

Vectorworks Designer Reviews

Ask Vectorworks Designer a Question
Showing 70 Vectorworks Designer reviews
Vectorworks Designer review by Daniel K.
Daniel K.

"Best All-around CAD/3 software "

What do you like best?

Great integration of 2 d and 3d. Wide variety of extremely useful Plug-In objects that make drawing and modeling quick, easy and versatile for design studies.

What do you dislike?

The more recent version of their Resouce Browser is quite slow when trying to access items. I did not have this problem in v 2014 but it is very apparent in v2018.

One program can han handle many aspects of pulling together presentations. No need for a separate modeling and rendering program. Use various fills, patterns, gradients and my new fave “drop shadows” make for great graphics without having to bring drawings into Photoshop. Easy importing of graphics, photos, etc. combined with veiwporting gives InDesign like features for producing booklets and other types of presentations. Easy to use worksheets for generating schedules and managing data without having to go into Excel. While these type of features are not as robust and sophisticated as these other specialized programs, the convenience of being able to execute such a myriad of tasks in one software is really terrific.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Vectorworks Designer
Vectorworks Designer review by Samuel C.
Samuel C.

"USER FOR OVER 10 YRS."

What do you like best?

The capacity to integrate design features between architecture, landscape architecture. mechanical engineering and urban design, not to forget the rendering capabilities of rendtrworks. The capacity to share big information with my consultants is also very important

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of things I dislike: when you upgrade from one version to the next, sometimes you loose information and programed preference or standards. That should not happen. The other thing is having to put so much time to input data to make the application possibilities a useful toll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended others to buy it. Most professionals in our area use Autocad or Revit. We are a minority here. that is the worst limitation as well as the difficulty in getting training at a reasonable price (traveling for training becomes an additional burden, and is not a continuous support)

I'm an Architect, landscape architect, and urban design. I use it for all my design projects in all the phases. I use the the rendering capabilities of renderworks for presentations, I they work fine. .

What Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) solution do you use?

Vectorworks Designer review by Ron K.
Ron K.

"Most flexible software!"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks Designer allows you to work in any way you prefer - there is no pre-defined workflow. It is extremely capable and can be as 2d or 3d as you like; it can be a BIM powerhouse, or a simple (yet sophisticated) drafting program. Great software and I did not even mention how robust its modeling capabilities are.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot! - but if I had to describe something it would be the overwhelming amount of options that it has (which makes it equally great).

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the creatives: just try it.

Vectorworks allow me to be extremely creative while producing great looking and well detailed construction documents. Everything from initial design to rendering for presentation all the way through construction documents can be performed without ever leaving the Vectorworks environment.

Vectorworks Designer review by Diane H.
Diane H.

"Landscape Design on Vectorworks"

What do you like best?

This is a very intuitive program to use. It has many easy-to-use tools that create clear, easy to read drawings. The viewport function enables you to look at elements in detail and gives great flexibility in creating various drawing formats.

What do you dislike?

I have always had trouble with the text tool malfunctioning, despite a new issue each year. You cannot edit a text style once set up, which is awful, so you have to create a whole new text style just to change alignment or letter style. Going from one scale to another (in viewports) creates problems with text scale. I have even had it ignore a default style set for a certain class and substitute an entirely different text style, and continues to do so even after making sure the default style is what you want. It writes over itself sometimes. The drawing label tools doesn't work sometimes in viewports, but will work if written over the viewport (instead of as an annotation). I waste a ton of time fussing with the text tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a class or hire a tutor (which I did) to make the most of this product. It has so much more than I ever use, but I know it's there and continue to develop my knowledge of the program.

This enables me to produce plans quickly as an individual designer working alone. I can quickly import other drawings, photos, etc. and make them a component of my drawing. I do minimal hand drawing now which helps hand problems I've developed from years of drawing by hand.

Vectorworks Designer review by John R.
John R.

"VectorWorks is a great program with some room for improvement."

What do you like best?

The visibility of the drawing space. It is easy to see your work and changed between views and projections. Like the newer Cinema 4D-based rendering engine.

What do you dislike?

The layers and class feature is too complicated for basic work, an option for something closer to Illustrator layers would be preferred. The walkthrough/animation options to create movies of projects are too simplistic, having multiple and greater options for cameras would be preferred as well as camera-on-path tools would be great. Needs better polygon-level creation and editing tools for 3D work. So far, learning the new resource palette interface in VW 2017 is cumbersome. I am very used to the old resource palette format, learning a new one is time consuming. I wish the landscape generation tools could be updated, it is very hard to find on the Mac platform good tools for working with high-res DEM and related files to create realistic topography, this is one area VectorWorks could offer a more advanced capability to the Mac design world.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A program very useful for CAD and architecture.

Extremely versatile and important visualization tool for many different kinds of projects.

Vectorworks Designer review by Kevin Lee A.
Kevin Lee A.

"Vectorworks n the perfect tool for the entertainment design team"

What do you like best?

That's hard to say, and impossible to isolate into a single feature. I like the ability to collaborate either using symbol/layer referencing or Project Sharing. I like the streamlined design workflow. As a set designer, I can 'sketch in Vectorworks, turn the sketches into rendering, finesse the details, improve the renderings and create working drawings for the shops. I like the ability to collaborate, modify the model and have the modifications flow throughout my documentation. I like being able to share the model with the lighting designer (when I'm not also the LD) and the sound designer.

I think it's critical that we all work together to ensure smooth and safe installation.

The addition of Vision and the integration with Lightwright helps all off the design team, and the entire production team, not just the LD.

What do you dislike?

Huh? Dislike?

Vectorworks assigns classes to parts of/types of spotlight lighting devices. I would generally want to assign my own class structure. With objects like doors and windows there are drop downs for class assignment. I would like a choice to assign one class to all (allowing exceptions for glazing), I would like to be able to impose my own classing on object types like renderworks cameras, drawing labels, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it. Vectorworks Designer is a great suite of tools for all kinds of designers.

I think the workflow in one application and the coordination with clients and colleagues is the greatest benefit.

Vectorworks Designer review by Danilo M.
Danilo M.

"Vectorworks Designer & Landmark"

What do you like best?

I am simultaneously designing in 2D and 3D. There is no exporting to other software and modifying things that I have already created. Additionally, the file inter-operability with other brands of CAD software and other file types, such as PDFs and JPGs, makes incorporating information from other sources very easy.

What do you dislike?

Some tools seem a little more complex than they should be, like reshaping 3D objects. Sometimes I wish the interface were more like SketchUP, in a WYSISWG kind of way. Other tools require much pre-planning and setup before they will work, which is sometimes contrary to the early creative process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the needs of your company and what kind of information and documentation you receive from clients and collaborators. Also consider what kind of output you need other than just 2D drawings. If you do rendering, BIM, cost analysis or site data reporting with other software, you might be able to do all of that in VW at the same time as your design.

Since VW is very powerful in associating information to objects, I am preparing reports at the same time as I am drafting. This helps cut down the time it takes to do project cost forecasts of my work. I am able to deliver a better product to my clients at a competitive price because of this.

Vectorworks Designer review by Владимир .
Владимир .

"Vectorworks Designer is the best BIM application"

What do you like best?

Excellent architectural graphic of Vectorworks (all the tools at hand on your desktop).

Import-export with Revit, SCIA, Cinema4D, Rhinoceros (Rhino+Grasshopper).

Support OpenBIM standard (*.IFC)

What do you dislike?

There is a lack of tools like 3D-modeling program Moi3D (or similar math and scripts) easy to use.

It is necessary to make the display layers of profiles of walls in 3D-view of ClipBox tooll and sections!

Spotlight tools should be adapted for street lighting.

We need to make the interactive connection link Vectorworks to Lumion, twinmotion3D or LumenRT.

I advise you to make a Russian language version with the russian architectural graphic standards.

You must increase the number of scripts in the Marionette tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vectorworks - BIM is a universal program for all sections of the architectural and design drawings and the 3-D modeling with enabled algorithmic design (Marionette)

(VW Designer inside all: Architect, Landmark, Spotlight. There is InteriorCAD modul)

Vectorworks has easy to learn and use BIM-system.

With Vectorworks we solve the problems of the restoration and renovation of old buildings (PointCloud tools), in landscape and urban planning (Landmark-Landscape) in the construction of buildings (Architect) and interior design (Designer + interiorCAD), to street and interior lighting (Spotlight).

Vectorworks helps of exchange of the drawing information with foreign business partners.

Vectorworks Designer review by Stuart A.
Stuart A.

"Best CAD for just about everything"

What do you like best?

Start with, it is fully cross Platform with no file translation needed between platforms. The software is virtually identical on both platforms. Next it is a completely capable 2d and 3d CAD platform with tons of capabilities. There are a number of specialized modules for Lighting Design, Landscaping, Architecture, Rendering, etc. It is very, very affordable compared with other Major CAD Software. There is a terrific user community with lots of helpful additional plugins and 3rd party add-ons. While I would not say any true CAD software is "easy" to learn, I believe Vectorworks is easier to learn than many and faster to use once one become familiar with it. We find it an outstanding and most compelling piece of software and vital to our business.

What do you dislike?

No software is perfect, there are some inconsistencies in various tools, the occasional bug, etc. The Developers seem very intent on fixing those things, as updates and patches come out regularly. There is a certain focus these days on the BIM approach, which for my business is not all that important, so there are times I simply avoid those parts of the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial version, watch some of the tutorials online to grasp the basic concepts, and then start trying it out. There are many online tutorials for a lot of the modules.

This is one of our handful of core software applications and is a vital part of our day to day work. It is the main design tool we use for all drawings, and documentation of proposed and installed systems. We have been using in for many years, and cannot imagine working without it.

Vectorworks Designer review by Laura D T.
Laura D T.

"Why Ive been using Vectorworks for 11 years "

What do you like best?

Vectorworks has kept the same interface year after year - improving each tool with the new versions. Other software seems to have fun changing the interface and icons so you have to re-learn software every time you upgrade instead of getting better at software. Also - I know the technicians by name and never have to be on hold for support. When I thought about switching to Autodesk product - just the wait time to talk to sales person turned me off. They have great incentives for student upgrades and reasonably priced subscriptions.

What do you dislike?

Cross over between platforms is never as smooth as I hope. Since they do not have monopoly in US- it can be a challenge to coordinate drawings (exporting/importing). For the small scale projects I'm working on, this is not such an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software for smaller scale projects

Being able to design and draft quickly is a huge asset to my business.

Vectorworks Designer review by Todd P.
Todd P.

"The only choice for an Entertainment Lighting Desinger"

What do you like best?

Drafting programs can be intimidating, Vectorworks is easy to use and learn. I have been teaching the software for over 17 years. I can get students drafting in a matter of minutes.

For an Entertainment designer there is no better software, the tools in the Spotlight workspace are exactly what we need. It comes with thousands of symbols, textures, gobo textures that are just not available with any other program. Some programs try to taylor themselves to the lighting industry but they fail because they are not a full drafting program like Vectorworks.

What do you dislike?

I don't think the shortcuts are as intuitive as other programs. Though the cost is much cheaper than other drafting programs the per year cost is high for many small or middle scale designers.

As far as an educator it gets harder to get funding for software for our labs. I know the company is working with some schools to reduce the cost. Its hard to justify it to administrator when AutoCad is free for university computer labs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial but if you need a great drafting program for Entertainment Design this is the best choice.

It is a superior product for Entertainment lighting plots and paperwork management. The program allows me to be more detailed with drawings and quicker with each plot I do. This is the only program I know of that allows you to project real theatre gobos in a 3d environment. This is so helpful when trying to communicate with a director or producer.

Vectorworks Designer review by Jeff M.
Jeff M.

"Vectorworks Designer never stops improving itself "

What do you like best?

The designer package gives me countless symbols to access. As an Entertainment designer, my job varies from Lighting Designer to Event Layouts (Boardrooms to Festivals) to Scaffold Stage Construction Drawings. Using Vectorworks Designer allows both 2D & 3D presentation drawings to convey the information to both the Client & Technical Crews in one file. With new releases each year the content available just continues to grow including more tools and symbols that make my job easier. Can't ask for more!

What do you dislike?

Vectorworks Designer is a great software package, BUT, It can be a little quirky at times.

New updates sometimes mess up old tools that have always worked. Usually fixed in the next update. It can be a little crash happy at times too (more so on the PC vs MAC). The backup system they have usually saves enough data to not lose too much information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Architect and landscaping industries seem to have as many fantastic features as I use in the Entertainment Industry

Using Vectorworks Designer has allowed me to see potential issues with the events i design. From things are going to bump into each other to there isn't enough light on stage Designer provides the nescessary tools to discover the problems at my desk versus out in the field (where its cost a lot more money).

Vectorworks Designer review by Gil C.
Gil C.

"The best Software for designers."

What do you like best?

The interphase let you do too many things, you can design almost everything in few steps. I like the interest of the developers to introduce new resources and tools.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I feel the program doesn't advance as the same way of the designers. They try to include too many things and don't resolve old problems. I think they have to improve the export cad files and sharing options

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to do more with less use Vectorworks Designer.

As architect and designer I can do any project and handle difficult structure and collaborate with different disciplines

Vectorworks Designer review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"I've been using Vectorworks as a part of my daily workflow for twenty years. "

What do you like best?

The all in one integrated platform for 2d, 3d and rendering has significantly increased my productivity and reliance on other applications

What do you dislike?

The releases often feel a little rushed - I'd rather a new version every two years that was rock solid than working through all of the bugs which are almost always a part of their annual releases.

Speed and productivity have been greatly increased and it has made it easier to work with clients from afar without as much face to face time (which is still preferred but often too costly).

Vectorworks Designer review by Zahra K.
Zahra K.

"Great software only for 2D drawings"

What do you like best?

Vector works is a great software for creating floor plan, elevation, section, annotation and creating different design schemes. This software helps to simply create schematic drawings and add color and texture to them and make them sketchy in the feasibility phase of the project. Also, vector works is a great software for creating very detailed construction drawing. This software is really similar to AutoCad and it is compatible with AutoCad as well.

What do you dislike?

Vector works is just great for 2d and it seems creating model in 3d is not as easy as sketch up. My manager at work tried hard to be a master with vector works and tried to learn all the 3d features, but it was really to difficult. In addition, the shortcuts for this software is not really easy . I know we can change all the shortcut but whenever you install the software you have to set up them again. I wish the short cut in vector works was as easy as Auto Cad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an amazing 2d design software for drawing accurate design.

I'm working as a design drafter for a design build company and I help them with drafting of their construction and permit drawings.

Vectorworks Designer review by Mason L.
Mason L.

"Great Scenic Design Tool"

What do you like best?

I love the speed that Vectorworks allows me to work at. I can within a few days quickly draft up a mockup and modify it quickly. This tool has allowed me to push my project ahead faster than I could have using other drafting programs. After using this program for a number of years also the speed I can quickly come up with a show set package has increase because of its hotkeys.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes getting a nice finish with drop shadows is a little difficult and getting a quick count of specific symbols is hard. Sometimes the text editing can be a bit step intensive between drawings of different scales but it is a simple inconvenience rather than a show stopper. The price tag, and lack of payment plan, makes it hard for me to upgrade year after year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this program to other scenic designers. Its ability to quickly create 2D drawings is very easy and its 3D capabilities are quickly becoming a staple in my work flow. Also its ability to effectively get you easily editable drawings takes a little bit to learn the work flow, but once established you can edit any part of your drawing quickly and efficiently saving time and money.

For my job I am in need of quickly and clearly illustrating scenic designs to a variety of shops. The ability to quickly draft, as well as add custom poche' and drop shadows helps my drawings be interpreted quickly and accurately.

User in Entertainment

"I have been using Vectorworks faithfully for over 20 years. "

What do you like best?

The 2d drafting is impeccable. Easily the best drafting software that I've used in 25 years of CAD drafting. I work in the entertainment industry, and I've taught on the undergraduate and graduate levels in Theatrical Design. The 2d software is the easiest for young designers to understand, and the best way for visually-based artists to get their creative ideas into "real-world" scales.

Once the 2d elements are developed, Vectorworks makes it easy to extrapolate ideas into the 3d world. The integration between 2d Vectorworks and 3d Renderworks is practically seamless.

What do you dislike?

Nemetscheck owns Cinema 4d, yet the connection between VW and C4D has not improved in years. The steps which were attempted in VW2017 failed miserably. They really need to put forth a stronger effort towards the mutual exchange between VW and C4D or they will run the risk of being left behind. Programs like SketchUp are making strides at getting better in the area of software interaction.

They also need to continue to stabilize the software. Every year the subscription users are forced to start using a new release which is completely unstable. Personally I have usually had to wait 3-4 months from the release of new versions before I can start using it. This has caused a lot of anger and resentment from loyal users, and is often construed as being a sign that Nemetscheck cares more about selling a new product rather than selling a reliable product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel that this software is excellent for the Entertainment Industry.

I have no idea what this question means.

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Renewables & Environment
User in Renewables & Environment

"Have been using Vectorworks and it predecessors since 1992"

What do you like best?

The interface is fairly straightforward.

What do you dislike?

Vectorworks contains more bugs that it should. It will also get in a mode where it will not perform the command, but will after several tries.

There are some obvious functions it does not support, such as a cut command for 3D objects that preserves both parts.

3D features not as robust as the leaders AC, SW, ProE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is good for the price. VW does not place the same value on Designers as it does on Architectural. I would call it a top runner for the second tier Mechanical Engineering CAD. You have to spend much more to get better.

Have designed parts and systems in solar engineering, microscopy, ophthalmology, and 3D printing.

"Vectorworks review "

What do you like best?

I like that the program is reliable, and fairly easy to use. I am a theatrical lighting designer so the data exchange with lightwrite saves eons of time on every production.

The program works in a way that allows even a novice user such as myself easy access to create drawings that do not look at if they have been crafted via a machine.

What do you dislike?

I very much dislike the fact that the program has not yet evolved into an affordable subscription model as of yet.

For a working freelance artist, 500+ $ annually on updates is a lot of money. We do not Comand the large annual salaries of an architect or others that utilize this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the cost of committing to this product

I am currently designing several productions using vectorworks and it streamlines my workflow.

Vectorworks Designer review by Andrés V.
Andrés V.

"Its my first professional design software I learned to use and still use it."

What do you like best?

I use Vector since college, its my personal favourite tool every time im going to build something or need to design exhibition stands, furniture and architecture stuff, for me is the best tool because it´s easy to use and you can draw blueprints as long as you are making a 3d model.

I really like that you can set up preferences, menus and commands just as the way you like it.

What do you dislike?

I would really like a better render and more freely 3d shapes though.

On the other hand y believe this program should give some compatibility with adobe files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its very easy to use considering its a cad program, I would really recomend it.

It helps me to design blue prints and to show the design in 3D at the same time.

Vectorworks Designer review by Bob S.
Bob S.

"User friendly design software"

What do you like best?

It's a simpler version of Autocad, and easy to learn from Youtube. Straight forward program. If you know how to use Autocad, Vectorworks is a piece of cake. It's like PC vs. Mac.

What do you dislike?

Not all firms and architects use this program, therefore it's not easy to format or export/import files in from Autocad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easier to use than Autocad.

You can customize VW like Cad too.

No business problems. We draft, and it gets the work done. The files aren't as big as Autocad, so it's easy to run on Mac.

Vectorworks Designer review by Janet T.
Janet T.

"Great All-round Design Software"

What do you like best?

It accomplishes all my needs: Construction Drawings and Rendering in one user friendly program

What do you dislike?

I wish I could get a more "organically artistic" look instead of photo realism (i.e.: pencil sketches)

Recommendations to others considering the product

As an interior designer who works independently, most of the software I purchase has to perform multiple functions, as I don't have the time or resources to learn and apply multiple forms of presentation to clients, so this fits the bill really well, and I have not had to learn different technologies to stay current with the industry.

A quick way to layout floor plans that contain valuable construction information such as wall depth and materials and the ability to turn into sections and elevations easily

Vectorworks Designer review by Kieran, KC I.
Kieran, KC I.

"I have used Vectorworks and the Designer series for at least 30 years"

What do you like best?

The ability to turn a plan view into a 3d model very quickly. I like the ease of adding textures to surfaces. Support and videos are also excellent.

What do you dislike?

The lighting render is cumbersome. Open GL is limited to eight lights. For lighting instruments to focus they need focus points as opposed to regular lights where you can just pooint them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent value and support.

VW offers me the ability to quickly illustrate design ideas and lighting concepts. My job would be severly hampered without this software.

Vectorworks Designer review by Theresa P.
Theresa P.

"Vectorworks for Theatrical design"

What do you like best?

Ability to create 2D and 3D renderings with full lighting capabilities for theatrical design renderings. Able to import google sketch-up objects. overall the way VW thinks about drawing lines and laysout the page is easier to understand than the way AutoCadd works

Easy software for learning drafting in both 2D and 3D.

What do you dislike?

Importing any student files(free user) or portions of files instantly watermark any of my professional files, exporting to DFX files end up with far more vector points and are difficult to use with CNC machinin.

Can be quite pricy of a program if its not a primary program you need but more of a secondary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out a free version first and really do a price comparison if its best for you cost wise.

Consider what your industry standards are for programs to be compatible

I draft for theatrical productions, groundplans, unit elevations, and renderings utilizing the full span of the VW design software.

I also do some designing for CNC plasma table metal work

Vectorworks Designer review by Stephanie Y.
Stephanie Y.

"Beginner User"

What do you like best?

This is a pretty intuitive program. The first time I used Vectorworks, I had never heard of it before, but I had previous experience in Revit and Sketch up and was able to easily apply that knowledge to Vectorworks.

What do you dislike?

Coming from a Revit / Sketch up background the editing capabilities seemed somewhat reduced.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's always helpful to search some tutorials when using a software for the first time.

We used Vectorworks to create basic floor plans, elevations, and sometimes renderings.

"Vectorworks Designer"

What do you like best?

Working in both 2D and 3D at the same time

What do you dislike?

Changes in menu items locations change more often than I would like

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the most complete and versatile product I have ever found. I work in both the Theatre and the Landscape design world and it meets my needs well for both. While I may be unique in using it in more than one of its fields the advantage of having the basics without having to learn an entire new software for each filed is great.

Seamless products. When you make a change it is it reflected throughout the document whether that be in the drawing or the paperwork.

Vectorworks Designer review by Travis V.
Travis V.

"Very user friendly "

What do you like best?

3D modeling is intuitive! The new live sections tool is great

What do you dislike?

No locking tool palettes , and crashes are inevitable, but getting better

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a must, VW Designer is the only way to go

Comprehensive project modeling that allows easy transition to CDs

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Events Services
User in Events Services

"Vectorworks has given me a wet to show customers my designs"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use, and the amount of detail in the finished product. My customers are amazed how their ideas can be transferred to a animated design

What do you dislike?

This is an absurd question. When someone like a product why then are you forcing that person to fine things wrong with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Need more concentration for events and lighting. Need HUGE events library with theme decor props, flower centerpieces, decorations, etc.

To show customers EXACTLY what will work for their event.

Vectorworks Designer review by Peter B.
Peter B.

"I Like the Comprehensive capability"

What do you like best?

That I can draw one model and then show all elevations, sections, etc to my clients without having to re-draw. I can also get material take offs from the drawings

What do you dislike?

The purchase cost is a little too much for me to upgrade. I don't like having to subscribe annually. When Vectorworks first came out, when you bought it, you owned it. No annual fees to keep using it

I can easily know how the material quantities change when the design changes

Vectorworks Designer review by Rigor N.
Rigor N.

"ease of use: Vectorworks designer w/ Renderworks 2015"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and very low learning curb. I like how it combine the plan and 3d model. I use it mostly for architecture, at the time when I bought Vectorworks Designer it was better deal than single module. The viewport is very handy also and I have been doing a complete projects from design development to working construction document on one file. 3D rendering is very good, have not used photorealistic rendering often as I have on 2007 Macbook pro, it can handle it but in takes a long time process, otherwise other rendering setup is worth using as it take less time.

What do you dislike?

Cannot copy and paste viewport or import, some plug-ins has some quirks specially Doors and windows it cannot be customize beyond its limit, Tool pallets Icons and text are bit small for an weak eyes like mine, lack of customization. Hatch customization is complicate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its ease of use and learning curb is the selling point of this product, If you were to buy the product it would be wise to purchase VSS, a yearly subscription. It would save money on the upgrades alone.

Space Planning, designing homes, 3D modelling for visually illiterate. vectorworks (2013-2015) has increase my production by using the viewports and using the automatic drawing co-ordination.

Vectorworks Designer review by Trent T.
Trent T.

"VW does what I need when I need it"

What do you like best?

Designing in 3D as you are developing in 2D

What do you dislike?

Inconsistent interface sometimes as tools developed over time and got integrated into the product.

Prototyping lab and office space changes with the stakeholders brainstorming saves lots of time

Vectorworks Designer review by Mary Anne B.
Mary Anne B.

"Event and Environment Designer - Temporary Spaces"

What do you like best?

I do a lot of floor plans and build drawings. I really like the super simple features that allow me to create scale drawings with ease. The object palette is general is extremely useful and efficient for me in typing and double checking measurements. For capacity purposes, I find the area measurement to be a very beneficial feature as well. Also I love the way you can annotate viewports on your sheet layers. This makes build drawings so clear and overall has helped me improve my level of execution and quality of specs. The way the viewports continuously relink/update every time you change something in your drawings is also crucially helpful.

What do you dislike?

I think one thing that frustrates me sometimes in the way hatches and patterns appear in my viewports. I've had a hard time mastering this for some reason. Even when I mess with the advanced settings and change the export sizes of the hatch or pattern, it never seems to come out as I want it too. It's difficult to control. Sometimes it's just the wrong size and sometimes it appears super pixelated. When I'm doing floor plans and I'm using those different hatches and patterns to symbolize a certain item or area, I really want it to appear a certain way and can't always achieve it with those tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think the basics of VW are very intuitive, especially if you use other design programs such as Illustrator for 2D and SketchUp for 3D. A lot of the tools and features have similarities that make VW easy to pick up. The biggest difference is getting used to using not just Design layers, but also classes and then sheet layers, etc. But once you understand it, I think it's easy to understand the use and benefit of it all.

I'm constantly working with various venues and plotting out elaborate floor plans, so the ease of just mapping spaces out in VW has been extremely beneficial. Other programs make it complicated sometimes to work with large scale spaces because they only allow a certain size artboard, or don't allow you to change the scale of the entire drawing so that your information all fits in one place. As said above too, being able to create viewports and annotate them, especially of 3D drawings and then being able to change the viewport to show whatever angle I'd like, has been incredibly helpful in improving the quality of my build drawings. This has been huge for me because it makes communication between myself and the designer and carpenters much smoother.

Vectorworks Designer review by Adam L.
Adam L.

"Overall best design/drafting product around."

What do you like best?

The way it draws geometrical primitives and treats them as whole objects. The ease of going form 2-d to 3-d in one step. Vector works is best when using it for lighting design as it has built in communication with Lightwright and both softwares work together. The keyboard shortcuts are nice and customizable and the fluidity of converting between AutoCAD and back is so seamless.

What do you dislike?

There is no app for tablets or smart phones.

The subscription program is great but you no longer get DVDs. For the price at least a USB drive with the software would be sent out, if not a DVD too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Play with it at first , but its best to use it the way it was designed, so you can use as many of the cool features it comes with as possible. Yes, it converts back and forth between DWG and DXF with ease.

There is no app for tablets or smart phones.

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"VW review"

What do you like best?

the graphical object based CAD program. It allows me to be a graphic designer as well as a draftsman.

What do you dislike?

rendering is okay at best. The export to VR is still a work in progress, and doesn't allow me all the control that I would like. Working with a Point Cloud is a bit difficult when you zoom in to close. VW also hasn't developed a lot of tools for Point Clouds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good for what I use it for, but I would not consider it for any large commercial project.

Being able to put a customer friendly design in front of people that can't read a floor plan, helps a lot.

Vectorworks Designer review by Ryan H.
Ryan H.

"Long Time Vectorworks user gives honest opinion of the product"

What do you like best?

Having used Vectorworks since 1994, I can say the improvements over the past 20+ years have been pretty good. The platform was always very intuitive, easy to learn, fun to use, an best of all... stable. Vectorworks has been in the BIM software business before the term BIM even existed. Being able to draw in 2D plan and have a 3D model basically automatically has been a savior for my design work over the years. It saved me lots of time and money.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, Vectorworks started with a solid platform and hasn't improved much outside of speed, minor tweeks, some GUI organization, and the like. One area other BIM software packages are embracing is 3D scanning and point clouds. I have talked to reps at Vectorworks on a couple of occasions and asked them if they plan on including any point cloud importing in the near future. They said no. I am afraid Vectorworks is making a huge mistake and it may come back to bite them in the coming years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great product. Just be prepared to train staff because finding people who know only know how to use it but can use it well are rare.

When I can, my drafting/modeling software of choice is Vectorworks. I have used it from designing and master planning entire campuses to organizing furniture layouts to creating simple posters. The ease and speed are awesome and most people with some CAD knowledge can get up to speed with the program in a very short period of time.

Vectorworks Designer review by Brian K.
Brian K.

"Overall, a great 3D CAD package"

What do you like best?

I have been an Autocad user for more than 20 years and have been transitioning over to Vectorworks for the past six months. I'm currently using it for some very detailed design and assembly, which goes directly to fabrication. At first it was difficult to get used to the lack of a command prompt, since I was using Autocad before it had a GUI, but I adapted pretty quickly. The second difference I had to get accustomed to was the fact that the workflow in Vectorworks has more in common with Adobe Illustrator than it does Autocad. You don't really think in terms of lines anymore, so much as shapes, this can take some getting used to. I think for pure 2D vector drawings, I'm probably still faster in Autocad. 3D space, however, is where Vectorworks really shines. Taking your 2D drawings and extruding them into 3D, viewing them, and working on them is all very easy and very intuitive. There are still a few quirks, such as when working with booleans, but it's still a very gentle learning curve. There are a few things I'm not so wild about, such as tweaking dimensioning styles, and the "classes" verses "layers" thing is a bit weird, but that probably comes from my relative lack of experience with Vectorworks compared to the amount of time I've spent in Autocad.

What do you dislike?

It isn't a true parametric 3D package like Solidworks or Inventor, so sometimes working in 3D can be a bit more work. Also, as previously mentioned, I'm not that wild about handling dimension styles in Vectorworks. One thing that strikes me as odd is the use of the word "class" for what Autocad users think of as "layers." If you're a programmer, the word "class" means something else entirely. Also, DXF file export does not seem very compatible. I am exporting a lot of files, and I have to pass them through Autocad before vendors can read them. I wish this could be addressed, because it's a real hassle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a long-time Autocad user, there's a bit of getting used to things.

I am doing some very detailed assembly drawings in 3D space, exporting them to DXF (see above for some issues with that,) and then sending the files off to vendors for fabrication via CNC routing and lasercutting. The ease of use in 3D space in VW has completely changed my design process, in a good way.

Vectorworks Designer review by Bill F.
Bill F.

"Archtiectural Modeling Solutions"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and flexibility is the best part of Vectorworks. It is easier and more intuitive that competitors

What do you dislike?

Working group solutions are not as beefy as some competitors

Visualization and documentation

Vectorworks Designer review by Gonzalo C.
Gonzalo C.

"Tough program to learn. Needs improve in almost every area."

What do you like best?

The rendering program is ok. Its better then top notch products like SolidWorks. The program is a great hybrid between architecture and product based program. I use it for event based products, so it meets my minimum standards. The program does allow for quick easy pricing and engineering.

What do you dislike?

This is difficult. Theres a lot I can say but I will stick with the basics:

Slow program. Just slow and glitchy at times. Line Drawing tend to show interior items when it shouldnt

Custom making a piece is very difficult

Tutorials online are the worst maybe worst then trying to learn advanced chinese without know basic pig latin (pig latin and chinese are not related making the point that it is very difficult to do this).

Rendering program of Renderworks is bad and thats not an understatement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably not maybe for the price. its cheap compared to other programs

We tend to solve all sorts of solutions here. We make event based products for people. The product has benefits like coding pieces for pricing.

Vectorworks Designer review by Rod C.
Rod C.

"Practicing Architect for 32 years"

What do you like best?

I started with early versions of Mini CAD, it was very easy to learn, since then Vectorworks has developed into a very powerfull program that compares to the best.

What do you dislike?

Not sure if it is a dislike yet, but I have people telling me I should get Revit. I don't want to I hear that Vectorworks can work with Revit just haven't tested it out yet.

Getting more into the 3D, But need to make the full transition.

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Performing Arts
User in Performing Arts

"Vectorworks Spotlight. "

What do you like best?

Vectorworks Spotlight is an industry standard,

What do you dislike?

Software is pricy, to a point of being cost prohibitive even on subscription renewals. Software is buggy and crashes all the time. Programmers are more interested in adding new elements so they can keep justifying the excessive cost rather than have it work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At times software is very frustrating.

Vectorworks is the easiest and most common tool to do my job.

Vectorworks Designer review by User

"Melhor software BIM para arquitetos"

What do you like best?

É o mais adequado software BIM para arquitetos por ter sido originalmente desenvolvidos por arquitetos e continuar sua evolução tendo arquitetos em sua equipe de desenvolvimento.

What do you dislike?

Realmente não. Falta conhecimento por parte do público alvo de suas competências.

Modelagem extremamente competente, excelente interação com outros softwares BIM e CAD, agilizam muito o trabalho, além de produzir material impresso em altíssimo nível, planilhas internas, renderização interna.

Vectorworks Designer review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"Powerful presentation tool "

What do you like best?

Ease of use and depth of the programs ability to provide visual representations and BIM simultaneously.

What do you dislike?

Not enough photo realism for irregular shapes and textures.

Using site survey information to create upfront estimates for site development costs and then seamlessly integrating this information into structural design and documents . As a result clients have the ability to adjust outcomes based on in depth cumulative data. This helps eliminate unintended consequences that occur when there are gaps in communication.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Vectorworks provides all the design tools I need."

What do you like best?

Being able to work through a design project from initial concept through design development and construction detailing with BIM tools.

What do you dislike?

That everybody doesn't use Vectorworks. Coordinating with other offices still using 2D CAD and other packages can be a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switch. You wont regret it.

Not having to have a suite of design software packages is a real benefit.

"Vectorworks"

What do you like best?

Using Vectorworks for technical drawings/packages is simple to learn.

What do you dislike?

VectorWorks modelling capabilities are limited in comparison to other CAD 3D modelling programmes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider using Google Sketchup and exporting model into a rendering programme, such as Artlantis. Vectorworks is a cheap package to allow you to use it for Technical drawings and modelling. If you want really good technicals, then I would suggest AutoCad.

The benefits of this programme is that it is cheap and therefore affordable for universities etc... It allows for students to practice getting used to CAD modelling and technical drawings.

Vectorworks Designer review by Cristina C.
Cristina C.

"VectorWorks review for G2 Crowd"

What do you like best?

I like that it's clear and simple to use. I tried using other programs like Auto Cad, and in my personal experience, Vector Works was much more practical.

What do you dislike?

I don;t really like the fact that it takes a long time to open. In the meantime, a lot of software programs tend to take a lot of time to start.

I used Vectorworks to desing the blueprint of a house and on another job, the blueprint of an office. In both cases, it was easy to work with and the customers were satisfied.

Vectorworks Designer review by Consultant in Events Services
Consultant in Events Services

"The good, bad and ugly of Vectorworks "

What do you like best?

Vectorworks does a great job of rendering textures and is pretty easy to use. Unlike AutoCAD that uses pos/neg numbers when manually entering a number, VW uses only positive numbers once it knows which direction you're going.

Another big plus of VW is how easy it is to import and export symbols (blocks) from another drawing. Yes AutoCAD does this too but VW is faster,

Rendering is part of the package, you have to import libraries to make AutoCAD do the same thing. There are lots of functions within Designer that other versions don't have. If you are working on existing rooms for theater you probably need Spotlight, but if you have to build a room with doors, windows, etc, you need Designer.

VW has a subscription service where you pay about $750/year and you get every upgrade and any service pack. You also get priority phone support for questions but if you're asking a real complex questions of if you're having crashing problems....you're not going to get much help

What do you dislike?

You need a beast of a machine to get VW to operate correctly. use 32GB of ram and the best video card you can afford. Even then VW will still lock up for no reason, and you can rarely reproduce it. The camera function has some retarded behavior about it. You just have to get used to the weird behavior of VW.

The absolute worst thing that VW has never fixed is their upgrade procedure. When you install the newest version IT DOES NOT RETAIN ANY OF YOUR SETTINGS OR PREFERENCES....EVER! And all of your custom symbol files need to be updated if you plan on using them. Huge pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Designer if you need to build doors, windows, landscape, and production. Designer has Spotlight, Arch, Fund, and Render all built into it.

The purpose of VW was to show clients a show design in the actual room they are looking at renting.

Vectorworks Designer review by Gerald L.
Gerald L.

"Exceptional product"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease and the many options Vectorworks has to offer. This includes importing drawings with ease and able to duplicate and expand the drawing.

What do you dislike?

Just the price. I have been very pleased with everything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/a

My business is in set design for TV and Film.

Vectorworks Designer review by Joel C.
Joel C.

"very effective"

What do you like best?

addapt to my way of create and process ideasas architect.

What do you dislike?

Needs more improvement on interface with DWG

Construction documents at all.

Precision.

User in Design

"Vectorworks Designer a powerful 2D/3D CAD Tool"

What do you like best?

I started working in Vectorworks in 2003. I'm please that succeeding generations of command structure have been built on the first version I learned. While successive generations have added features and functionality, each edition has not required a steep learning curve to master.

What do you dislike?

It is a shame that VW does not have a larger market share.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product.

My challenge is to visually describe in the simplest terms possible the intent and detail of a specific design. VW is a fully functioning 2D/3D design platform with an very competitive cost per seat price.

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"Vectorworks Designer (My Reviews)"

What do you like best?

I enjoyed the ease of using Vectorworks Designer with lesser complications as compared to other software.

What do you dislike?

Vectorworks Designer has little emphasis on some extra details available in other software. However, it is a good software for those who are seeking the ease in terms of software navigation in executing design tasks.

I am currently not using Vectorworks Designer. However, my previous project has benefitted a lot from this software. I was able to render my file at ease without complications. Also, I was able to work my projects with organised interface and navigations in the software. I would recommend Vectorworks Designer to anyone who is searching for the best architecture or rendering software.

Vectorworks Designer review by ZAK T.
ZAK T.

"vectorworks kenya "

What do you like best?

user-friendly, BIM functionality, lighting, rendering, 3d modelling

What do you dislike?

occasional glitches for example finding the door hardware sets database. wall tool renders offsets, tiled bricks renders a little awkward. finding IFC data entity relationship descriptions rather geeky - but that is not Vectorworks fault.

Recommendations to others considering the product

get the apple mac version

BIM, clash detection, 3d coordination

Vectorworks Designer review by Consultant in Architecture & Planning
Consultant in Architecture & Planning

"Independent Architectural Draftsman"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks is comprehensive CAD software that is effective for communicating precise design concepts through 3d modeling/renderings and generating corresponding high quality 2d architectural drawings. The general aesthetic is pleasing and the workflow between 2d and 3d is well integrated.

What do you dislike?

Complex geometries and organic forms are time consuming or simply not feasible to generate with the current tools. Many of the site modeling tools are awkward or simply notoriously buggy and do not present well; particularly the road tool(s).

Vectorworks excels as architectural software for producing most any type of drawing required in the field.

Vectorworks Designer review by Chas N.
Chas N.

"Great all around program"

What do you like best?

i like the many features that I use and also the ease with which I can get feedback from tech support when i need it.

What do you dislike?

The too quick displacement of VW 2015 to" not supported"

I can work with my ground plans for projects which help me communicate my needs to people with whom I work.

User in Design

"Vectorworks Designer is layed out well and very easy to use."

What do you like best?

I really like the way the tools are layed out in Vectorworks Desinger. I also like the vast library it has.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an easier way to get to a blank page instead of using the grid linesz

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Vectorworks anyone entering a design or drafting career.

I have really benefited using this software for my scenic designs and woodworking business. It helps the scenic carpenters understand and build my design. It is also easy to show the director what the set would look like from a Birdseye view

Vectorworks Designer review by User

"Great 3D Platform Fo Entertainment Design"

What do you like best?

It's user friendly - very intuitive & tech support is terrific

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind VW is easy to use

All my design needs from quick rough sketches thru final renderings & Deign elevations are solved in the one file.

Vectorworks Designer review by Robert T.
Robert T.

"Powerful CAD solution for entertainment"

What do you like best?

Vectorworks is the greatest choice for cad whether you are looking for light plots or full rendered looks. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of its power.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have few dislikes about the software.

It is easy to show clients events laid out in pictures and to scale.

Vectorworks Designer review by Ron S.
Ron S.

"Good interface overall yet lacks some very important capabilities. It is also plagued provlems"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Understandable interface for most of the application. Has many features. Best tech support of any cad company or application in the world. Easy to learn and has been around for many years.

What do you dislike?

Lack of reliable results and limits on creating some forms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good bum application

Architecture. Document projects.

Vectorworks Designer review by Suki S.
Suki S.

"Works as required and support is provided."

What do you like best?

Pricing, technical support, upgrade for additional support and online community support.

What do you dislike?

Cloud based, been using Product for few years and not many negative reviews.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- long history of company and well known product in the industry. Highly recommend for anyone working with CAD

Deign, review drawings, require use of this software on daily basis for reviews.

User in Entertainment

"I use Vectorworks Designer daily and it always performs as needed for the tasks at hand."

What do you like best?

Functionality and easy of use in a workplace with users using alternate CAD platforms.

What do you dislike?

The backwards compatibility with much older vectorworks files in archives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the trial and see if it is the right solution for your needs

Execution of plans and designs of set designs for various projects.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Architect and designer review"

What do you like best?

Flexibility system and application to multiple uses.

What do you dislike?

sharing ability and compatibility with autodesk, export features are not the best. Need some more ability to control output and printing. Controlling memory usage is a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get some initial training to help you understand the concepts first and then periodically attend user groups for shared knowledge.

Helping clients understand design and using it as 3d design tool. It still needs a lot of improvement in that area but it works.

Vectorworks Designer review by Bret B.
Bret B.

"Architect, Sole Proprietor"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, also because I've been using it for 18 years

What do you dislike?

Too hard to become aware of all features available

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn all about its rendering capabilities. I wish I knew more.

Speed of design and development of construction documents

"Since MiniCAD"

What do you like best?

MAC Platform. and a very intelligent and sophisticated program

What do you dislike?

I would like the program to have better compatibility with Revit and other BIM workspaces.

Affordable and powerful software solutions. Great support.

User in Entertainment

"Even though it's buggy at times, I still love Vectorworks"

What do you like best?

It's designed to make things look good. Painterly, like photoshop, with a similar thought process. Getting into 3D is relatively easy and powerful.

What do you dislike?

Buggy. Crashes a lot depending on how hard I'm making the computer and program work. Sometimes can't keep up with the keystrokes I'm doing as I switch between commands.

Recommendations to others considering the product

draw every day.

I'm using 3D to draw light beams, etc. to visualize and help clients understand what our design goals are.

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Events Services
User in Events Services

"Great for production design!"

What do you like best?

The interface and plug ins are easy to use and allow me to make quick diagrams for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more options for animations and 3d renderings. I do not like having to export to an external program like cinema 4D to animate screens or create more realistic looking renders.

Design for clients. Very helpful in showing them what fits in rooms and how it will look and feel.

Vectorworks Designer review by Consultant

"Fantastic design workflow "

What do you like best?

Speed that you can produce presentation boards and planning drawings. Graphic quality and accuracy.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike. Vectorworks provides an exceptional set of tools for architecture.

2D-3D workflow is very efficient when trying to solve the build ability and the speed you can come up with solutions is much faster when you understand the problem in 3D

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"2D, 3D, BIM and Parametric Modeling at their best."

What do you like best?

3D and BIM capabilities at the highest level, complemented by 2D CAD and Graphics capabilities makes Vectorworks a fundamental tool for our studio.

What do you dislike?

Vectorworks is a quasi perfect tool. Is to difficult to find discomfort while using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vectorworks will boost your productivity. It's an easy to use but powerful tool, that will enhance your habilites as a Architect or Designer.

3D and BIM modeling. It's a very profitable tool for the AEC.

User in Entertainment

"A key to the A/V world."

What do you like best?

Very easy to use to design live events. Great for collaborating with multiple departments.

What do you dislike?

New releases tend to be buggy. I wish you could move sheet layers across different files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't move sheet layers between drawings.

Location of large audio speakers for live events.

Vectorworks Designer review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great experience with clean interface"

What do you like best?

Accuracy and ease of use with interface.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the use of the window in the 3D format. It's confusing at times and difficult to maneuver through.

We are working to layout floor plans and Vectorworks allows for extreme accuracy and clarity.

Vectorworks Designer review by Consultant in Architecture & Planning
Consultant in Architecture & Planning

"Project Manager"

What do you like best?

Honestly very simple to use.

The analogy I like to use, even a kid in elementary school can jump in and start using it.

Intuitive !!!!

What do you dislike?

maybe a more hands on tutorial.

Maybe tech support can do a virtual walk through during initial implementation of questions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it

architectural problem solving.

It helps with the conceptual sketching on another layer.

"LANDSca design tool"

What do you like best?

landscape command moduls,build in libraries

What do you dislike?

transfering dwg files to vectorworks and setting

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good value

Landscape design.

ready to use graphics.

Learning about Vectorworks Designer?

* We monitor all Vectorworks Designer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.