VeraCrypt

(11 reviews)

VeraCrypt is a free open source disk encryption software for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

Work for VeraCrypt?

Learning about VeraCrypt?

VeraCrypt Reviews

Showing 11 VeraCrypt reviews
VeraCrypt review by Mariusz M.
Mariusz M.

"VeraCrypt - Data security is essential."

What do you like best?

Veracypt is one of the best open source solutions for data encryption on the market. It gives us a few, the ability to encrypt not only selected files or partitions, but also entire operating systems (so called Full Disk Encryption) and mobile devices. We can also choose an encryption algorithm for our data. Compatibility with other systems is worth mentioning.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the little intuitive design and difficult access to some options another disadvantage of this solution is the lack of possibility to open containers on Android/IOS mobile devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to take care of the data on your device, I recommend that you start using veracrypt, it has an advantage over the competition thanks to its operation on many platforms.

Veracrypt protects against unauthorized access to data, e. g. as a result of theft or when you left the equipment unattended in a hotel room, going down for breakfast (so-called Evil Maid attack).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about VeraCrypt
VeraCrypt review by Igor C.
Igor C.

"VeraCrypt "

What do you like best?

The most important advantages is that VeraCrypt is free. VeraCrypt has support for the most popular operating systems such as Windows, Linux or MacOSX. VeraCrypt based on TrueCrypt. This program have many good options. First of them is creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. VeraCrypt can encrypt external drives and flash usb. This program can parallelization and pipelining. That is give us using drive was not encrypted

What do you dislike?

One of disadvantages is that Veracrypt have very old design. If u want to get nice and transparent you should not choose that application. Access to many options in VeraCrypt is difficult. And it is not possible to open containers on mobile devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If data security is important to you, you should start using veracrypt, because it takes time to install, and we can gain a lot from it.

By encrypting the drives using a veracript, I can protect my data against unauthorized access. And I can encrypt databases on portable drives.

What Data Security solution do you use?

VeraCrypt review by Marcin J.
Marcin J.

"VeraCrypt - Review "

What do you like best?

Veracrypt, as an open source program, is free of charge. Thanks to it, we can securely encrypt our data on stationary and portable drives. It is supported by the main platforms and mobile devices, it is also worth mentioning the possibility of choosing the encryption algorithm of our data.

What do you dislike?

I don't like in this program no possibility to open containers on mobile devices IOS/Android. The design of the program is poor and unattractive. In addition, Veracrypt works poorly with SSDs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those who want to protect their data in a better way, Veracrypt will be a very good choice. It is free, so

It can be used without restrictions. It is good for anyone who needs additional protection of their data.

It is in a continuous development phase so that our security is increased by the possibility of updating the program.

Veracrypt very well helps to protect our data on drives and on pendrives. Frequency of data theft thanks to them is reduced several times.

VeraCrypt review by Kurt B.
Kurt B.

"VeraCrypt Protects Our Data And Our Wallets!"

What do you like best?

After a Ransomware attack we were looking to protect our data. We looked into VeraCrypt and were impressed. It's encryption is very good. Many tools we've looked at had good encryption but not on the level of effectiveness as VeraCrypt.

What do you dislike?

Configuring VeraCrypt was a nightmare. It took forever to figure things out with multiple guides and wiki's up. Eventually we got it, but there's a definite learning curve. Considering the protection you're getting it's worth it but I would like if it was easier to install and manage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan out implementation ahead of time, or hire a third party to implement as it's not for beginners.

Our machines see a lot of sensitive data (film screeners, NDA's, contracts, etc) and Veracrypt protects them from infection and hacking. Exposure of this data to a malicious third party could spell disaster for us. Glad that we have it!

VeraCrypt review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Adequate open source OTFE"

What do you like best?

Veracrypt is based off of the discontinued truecrypt project, and will serve to resolve physical security concerns businesses may have. It's audited by third parties & built on an established project, with plenty of advanced features & encryption options for more tech savy users.

What do you dislike?

Veracrypt isn't always the easiest option to integrate into hardware, and many businesses (in my opinion) will be better served by enterprise solutions similar to microsoft bitlocker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using Veracrypt if you do not have an OS-integrated solution like microsoft bitlocker or other hardware two factor authentication options & need to encrypt your entire system for security reasons. Open source fans should definitely check it out.

Veracrypt allows me to meet physical security requirements mandated by my employer while working from home. I can encrypt my entire hard drive (both HDD & SD) with industry-standard AES-256 that integrates into my computers BIOS quickly & easily

VeraCrypt review by User in Design
User in Design

"Deep versatile protection for your digital assets."

What do you like best?

IHow a versatile tool it is to protect your digital assets, it allows me to encrypt digital files in a variety of ways. I can create encrypt container which I can move between supports or encrypt full disks. I appreciate it is open source and free to use. And the fact it is under active development.

What do you dislike?

If you forget your password or corrupt your file key you lose access to your files. But otherwise would be a security risk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to encrypt your files VeraCrypt is a very apt tool, it will allow you to protect your digital assets using the latest encryption technology. It is a software under active development. I recommend you to read the user's guide to see how it works and how to take advantage of this fantastic tool.

I protect full drives containing the digital assets of my business, such as the original files of media and artwork I created or confidential projects and documentation.

VeraCrypt review by User

"Best on-the-fly encryption I've seen"

What do you like best?

It's the real deal and has full functionality in an open-source product, so any problems can and are fixed as soon as they appear. From encryption of a full operating system, to the ability to create a second, hidden operating system that is untraceable. Same thing for creating an encrypted volume that can optionally contain a hidden volume that is not detectable. It even allows choosing the combination of hash algorithms, along with the ability to use security tokens and smart cards.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately it is not available on mobile platforms like Android and iOS, at least for encrypted volumes. That limits the software to desktop use on Windows, Linux and MAC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great product. We have not had ANY problems with it in all the years we used it (as TrueCrypt before it became Veracrypt). So it's a low risk, almost no learning curve, high results software.

We secure either customer NDA (non disclosure agreement) development environments, as well as private customer data in individual encrypted either full operating system virtual machines or just data volumes to reduce the risk of the information being hacked and reduce liability and risk.

We have not had the need to create hidden partitions or operating systems, but one customer is considering it because of the new laws in different countries on inspection of electronic device content could potentially reveal non-disposable information.

VeraCrypt review by Administrator

"Must Have Essential Data Security for Windows"

What do you like best?

If you use Windows in your home or business environment and want to protect your crucial data including business digital assets or personal files, then VeraCrypt is a Must Have install on all your computers. Installation is very easy and you can setup a virtual disk drive to store all your important files. The virtual drive itself can be password protected with strong 256 or 512 bit encryption. If you desire, you can also encrypt your entire windows C Drive.

What do you dislike?

The interface seems a little dated and is very minimalist, but I like that because it does its encryption job very well. But for some users, you may feel like you are using a Win95 software

We've mandated all business files be stored only on VeraCrypt encrypted virtual drives so we dont have to worry about losing laptops while traveling.

VeraCrypt review by Leighton F.
Leighton F.

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

What do you like best?

Veracrypt offers a somewhat easy and convenient means for encrypting data. Veracrypt offers a very wide array of features, far more than one would expect in a completely free program such as this.

What do you dislike?

The process for encrypting data, and especially for encrypting flash drives, is very unintuitive. Once you figure out how to do it, the process is simple, but it's far from immediately obvious. In fact, it means going through dozens of menu items trying to find an option to do the one thing Veracrypt was meant to do: encrypt things. Creating an encrypted flash drive, particularly one that can be plugged into any computer and decrypted without having to install Veracrypt on it first, is a real puzzle that I spent a couple hours figuring out (I am an IT professional with 10+ years experience). These features could be easy processes performed at the click of a single button, and yet for some reason they're not; they're buried in menus, and some - such as making an encrypted portable flash drive - are actually split into multiple processes accessible through different menus that need to be completed in a certain order. Functionally, everything is there, but design-wise, there is *a lot* to be desired.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need multiplatform support, and especially if you intend to encrypt files to be decrypted by other users, I would strongly recommend Bitlocker or a number of other free, easier to use encryption utilities.

I was using Veracrypt to create multiplatform encrypted flash drives. Unfortunately, the process was so cumbersome that I needed to switch to an alternative software.

VeraCrypt review by Adam L.
Adam L.

"Hands Down The Best Encryption Software There Is"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of VeraCrypt is the ability to have two encrypted volumes with different passwords. Being able to store only a portion of important data on the standard volume and the rest on the hidden volume is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

The GUI and UX are still a little 1995ish, but really there is nothing I don't like about VeraCrypt

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It is amazing.

The ability to secure data in a way that is absolutely not-accessible to anyone without the properly password.

VeraCrypt review by Prabh A.
Prabh A.

"Fast, Easy and Secure Encryption "

What do you like best?

The ability to easily create and mount secure encrypted drives

What do you dislike?

I've heard rumors that VeraCrypt is based on TrueCrypt which had some security vulnerabilites and some backdoors

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is as secure as it can get. You can also create a hidden Vera Crypt partition on your system with a hidden and encrypted OS running on it

I secure the files in my flash drive while I'm on business trips! This way in case my drive gets lost or stolen my data isn't vulnerable

Learning about VeraCrypt?

* We monitor all VeraCrypt reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.