Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Veritas Backup Exec

3.7
(102 reviews)

Backup Exec is one integrated product that protects virtual and physical environments, simplifies both backup and disaster recovery, and offers unmatched recovery capabilities

Work for Veritas Backup Exec?

Learning about Backup Exec?

Veritas Backup Exec Reviews

Showing 108 Backup Exec reviews
Backup Exec review by Praveen N.
Praveen N.

"Typical Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

Technical Customer care support is pretty good and in fact very quick at responding. Can open support tickets via Veritas support portal or via phone or by online chat too. On Level 4 critical System production down, support will respond in minutes and try to solve the issue. Backup Exec is able to backup virtual Machines and physical servers too.

What do you dislike?

Very Expensive compared to other backup solutions available now in the market like Veeam, Altero which also have some backdrops like unable to backup physical machines but good comparable solutions. Veritas license for each module is very expensive. Need to buy license for each agent and a server core license and if at all if we need to use more than 1 drive to run the backups , we need to buy extra Library expansion option licenses along with core license.

In present days we have many issues with backing up several servers and with sql server instances. Support asking us to create separate jobs for drives on the servers and Sql server or My sql instances, which doesn not make any sense and after doing that too, the jobs fail. The jobs success has become very inconsistent now a days. We are on Backup exec 16 and they say that they cannot support SQL server 2017.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask veritas for a test license to try and see if your backups are consistent before buying the solution

Getting backups for all critical production servers, of course with few flaws. Can recover files in granular level from backups and able to backup database instances and applications along with drives.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Veritas Backup Exec
Backup Exec review by Jamie J.
Jamie J.

"Reliable daily backups for server clusters"

What do you like best?

Veritas Backup Exec is one of the most well known backup software solutions in the industry. One of the things I like best about it is the fact that, unlike some newer software platforms, it supports an array of legacy hardware backup solutions (such as tape backup) in addition to modern offerings like hot-swappable hard drives or even cloud backup repositories.

What do you dislike?

While reliability is good overall, I do occasionally run into issues that need attention to resolve. It's tough though to say definitely if those issues are necessarily to do with Veritas Backup Exec as opposed to the associated hardware the software is controlling, but nonetheless it hasn't been entirely hands off. That being said, when issues have risen, the tech support for Backup Exec has been truly excellent. They respond quickly and are quite knowledgeable in solving issues. They will also happily connect remotely to either walk you through or even actively perform the steps required to get you back up and running fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have any legacy hardware you want to continue to use for backups, I would highly recommend considering Veritas Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec is an integral component of our complete backup and redundancy plan. It allows us to maintain a reliable set of both on-site and off-site backups and replications. It also allows for simple restore methods that are used in the event of disaster recovery or even for simple user errors such as accidentally deleting or modifying files or folders on our servers.

What Server Backup solution do you use?

Backup Exec review by Richard M.
Richard M.

"Could be so much better."

What do you like best?

Interface is clean and easy to use.

Jobs, storage and scheduling is easy to set up.

External storage devices are easy to add.

What do you dislike?

Very poor first-line support

Several bugs found but Veritas seem incapable or unwilling to acknowledge them, seem to have no way of reporting them either, I was directed to a page for suggesting Functionality and Ideas.

Cannot use incremental or differential jobs on a NAS as BE cannot install agent.

Registry hack needed to make some reports function correctly.

Job failures reported when job has actually succeeded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Product itself is not too bad but support is very lacking. Read up on software problems before purchasing.

Complex backup schedules working alongside other backup solution vendors.

Backup Exec review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"Backup Exec 16"

What do you like best?

New redesigned interface is much better than previous product. Also nice to finally see Veritas branding. The full features of complete VM recovery are a nice addition that Veritas has made recently. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

What do you dislike?

Support is still lacking. I have found that anytime I am needing to really make progress on support I have to get a technical lead on the phone. Being in IT I know the routine of going through the basics but sometimes it is overwhelming. They do have a quick turnaround on basic support if the issue does not have to be sent to a engineer.

We use this software to back up our complete server infrastructure. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

Backup Exec review by Ian R.
Ian R.

"SImple to use and setup and it works."

What do you like best?

It is easy to setup and keep up to date. It has been easy to add additional servers. When I needed to restore data, it has been there.

What do you dislike?

I find that licensing can be confusing. It has told be I should be using VM features every time I add a virtual server, but I am not license for that version of the agent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for nightly scheduled backups. If you need instant recovery points and many VM, I would recommend Veeam or Zerto.

The software keeps an update copy of the servers and data I back up. I have been able older versions of files and do complete bare metal server restores when needed.

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Government Relations
Administrator in Government Relations

"Common Backup Software"

What do you like best?

With the latest Backup Exec backup software, comes the abilities to store your backup to the clouds (AWS). The backup software enables you to backup your VMs and dataset. What I mean by dataset is the grandular backup say c:\folder instead of the VMs.

The wizard that guides you to do the backup is straight forward, but it's really up to you to customize your type of backup (Differential, Incrmental, Full, Schedule, and Email Notification). It's not too complex. The customer service that you get is great. I recommend customer service if you have questions.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like is not being able to create a backup group with the same schedule and place the backup VMs or dataset into them. I would have to create each backup hosts individually which is awful. The previous versions, I forget which one, had the ability too. I don't understand why it was taken out. In addition, backup is not deduplicated at the block or file level. I have proven this point to the customer service and they verified that it wasn't even though the product says it is deduplicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the company wants to save money with a backup software, get Backup Exec. However, there's a price for the low cost. That price is recovery of your data. It will take time to recover and backup your large data.

Finding a backup software that can allow for backup for a fraction of the cost of a more robust application. The costs of saving is money. That's why we have it.

Backup Exec review by Maria B.
Maria B.

"Excellent Solution for a Reasonable Price"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and set up. We use on standalone servers and Microsoft Hyper-V. Reliable and works well with an over-the-network NAS server. I have been using this product in various environments for over 12 years, and I have had only minimal problems. that were easily resolved.

What do you dislike?

The program can slow down and it can be difficult to figure out why. Sometimes it is a network problem and others it is the NAS itself. It would be helpful to have some troubleshooting. It does require quite a bit of memory to keep it running smoothly, but works well on a virutal machine, so that was not a problem for us.

We are backing up all of our servers and saving the data over our WAN to a remote elementary school. Saves us time and money from using backup tapes and paying a company to store them offsite

Backup Exec review by Bill S.
Bill S.

"Backup Exec is a time tested solution."

What do you like best?

Ease of use and a program that has been around for a long time. Backup Exec is a standard for business. I have used this product since the late 1990's in various applications. In addition to the age there is backward compatibility which allows use with older archives without the need for a converter or migration process.

What do you dislike?

Backup exec is difficult to use with differential backups. This could be improved. The other thing is the user interface is very dated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many solutions for backup - Backup Exec is a enterprise level backup system. There is some investment in purchase and setup but it's worth it.

On-site backup services along with some cloud based backups to systems like AWS.

Backup Exec review by John S.
John S.

"Simple to use backup solution"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec is very user friendly. Whether you want to perform a push installation of a backup agent, backup a server, or do a restore, all of the functions are easily accessible from the main console. The software also allows you to perform agentless backups of virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if Backup Exec included an option for cloud replication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Backup Exec is nice if you are looking for an option to simply backup your servers.

We are able to backup our critical servers, and easily restore any files as the need arises.

Backup Exec review by Derek S.
Derek S.

"Backup Exec is a very efficient software backup system"

What do you like best?

It is extremely customizable and powerful. Allows numerous media types to write to as well as ability to customize jobs including unique schedules, selection lists, and exceptions.

What do you dislike?

Software often has little bugs that make it a pain to administer. Oftentimes, it needs tweaking to jobs, settings, and server settings. It does not overwrite older backups as it should despite setting retention settings. This can sometimes require manually logging into the server in question and clearing out older data to make room for new jobs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great and affordable software, but needs designed properly around media storage to account for proper retention.

If configured correctly, the software does a great job of backing up essential data and systems including complicated SQL and Exchange software. Also, it backs up virtual machines as a whole to provide quicker restoration in a crisis situation. This has been used and tested across many clients and works very well.

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Backup Exec by Veritas - Reliable business backup"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec is established and reliable. It can backup servers, NAS devices, VMWare, Hyper-V and a host of other data types. These include SQL databases, Echange servers and much more. Adding a device to the list of devices that can be backed up is pretty much straigh forward, as is a device to backup data to. And now, with cloud backup, data can immediately be backed up off site as often as you like.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be slow at times. It used to be much easier to create smaller backup jobs that you put together in larger ones but this functionality was strangely remvoed in later versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test backup and restore operations from as many different types of media as you can.

Data is backed up and can be secured off site with eithet tapes, removed hard disks now in the cloud.

Backup Exec review by Administrator

"Happy with the backup system we use!"

What do you like best?

I like the consistency of the product. We have used it for quite some time and rarely have any issues. We used the product back when it was Symantec Backup Exec. Symantec sold to Veritas.

What do you dislike?

I wish my company would allow cloud backup! Currently my company prefers to store all of our data in house on tape drives on our physical DR system with another vendor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest sitting through a demo and reviewing the pro's and con's of the solution they offer. The software will work out of the box, it's just a matter of some basic training and education to run it.

Local backup of all server system data. We run a physical backup of our data every evening.

Backup Exec review by Mark M.
Mark M.

"Backup Exec is the one for you!"

What do you like best?

This product is versatile and allows you to backup mostly any platform, OS or App. I have used various versions of this for many years and its always been reliable and dependable.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model is challenging and can bring tears to your eyes as the years move on, Their model started many years ago with the option to allow you to connect and remote backup alot of platforms and now I find some of the features have been stripped and added as cost options!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check what you need regarding all the addon products. Its easy to be oversold and you may need a decent supplier to advice you. Find one you trust.

Moving from a script based backup system in one case to this.

Backup Exec review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great, simple, care free back up"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that when I first set this up I had so many options of where I could integrate my storage through, Azure, Google cloud platform, ASW. It made me feel like I wasn't locked down. Once up and running the process is seamless and took the worry of losing data away from my mind so I could focus on other things.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that initially I had some trouble figuring out the software, all of the ins and outs. I cant fault the company, I just feel there was a bit more to learn than I had expected but this is due to all of the options I had which is a good thing.

The problem I am solving is a catastrophic loss of data with no redundancy. This software takes that worry from my mind and eliminates such thoughts. I never have to worry with this software running.

Backup Exec review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"The old gold standard for backups is back"

What do you like best?

The speed and flexibility in the restore options - granular or whole virtual drive. Single email message, whole mailbox, or whole database. The have streamline the product line, and just kept the technologies and features that work the best - all under the trusted Backup Exec name.

What do you dislike?

If you are unfamiliar with Backup Exec, there is some learning to be had here to get it working properly. However, if you have used Backup Exec before (either vintage or Symantec branded), the interfaces and methodology is very familiar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a rock solid backup solutions, Veritas Backup Exec is a great option. You can utilized SAN/NAS boxes for near-line backup storage, and you can do any number of off site options with it. It really is the whole package.

Business continuity and data protection. Server had a bad day? Don't let it ruin your day, restore the whole server quickly. Because it ties into the hypervisor for backups, the speed of recovery is great.

Backup Exec review by Cory H.
Cory H.

"Great data backup solution"

What do you like best?

This is a great product for backing up data. If you have the appropriate infrastructure, backups take no time at all. Scheduling backups can get very in depth, which is great for having them all run at different times. Restoring data is a breeze as well.

What do you dislike?

Jobs seem to randomly lockup or not complete. I'm not sure if this is due to Backup Exec not processing the data correctly, or if it is due to something with the Backup Exec agent on the backed up server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure and have your backups kick off at different times. Make sure they are completing. It is best to check Backup Exec at least once a day to make sure everything is finished.

You don't have backups if you can't restore from a backup.

Data backups. With this software, we're able to schedule backups to kick off at different times. This is great for keeping network traffic down, and making sure the backups complete.

Backup Exec review by Gosi M.
Gosi M.

"Veritas Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and use, ability to recover both physical and virtual workloads, baremetal recovery to dissimilar hardware or across various virtualisation platforms

What do you dislike?

so far so good, however every product has minor challenges that ultimately are addressed with time

Recommendations to others considering the product

Veritas Backup Exec is a well looked after product that has been protecting customer data since the days of early computing. Over the years Veritas Backup Exec has evolved into a mid market solution.

Backing up of our customers' core infrastructure with quick recovery time objectives and strict recovery point objectives

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Plastics
Administrator in Plastics

"Good backup application with just a little bit of quirkiness"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Backup Exec has continued to expand the types of media that it can use as backup destination. I also appreciate the fact that Backup Exec is fairly intuitive compared to other backup applications I have used previously.

What do you dislike?

Backup Exec can sometimes be a bit quirky. Backups should for the most part be a set it and forget it type scenario (other than swapping out backup media.). But for some reason, everything would be going fine for awhile and then out of the blue, a job would fail. A little TLC and things would be OK for a bit and then another failure.

Since we have moved to a mostly virtualized server environment, we no longer use Backup Exec for the bulk of our backups, but we still continue to use for for a few physical computers. For these systems, the setup and use is very straight forward.

Backup Exec review by Joshua H.
Joshua H.

"Frustration Abounds"

What do you like best?

1) It seems to be a defacto standard so knowing the product is a portable skill when interviewing for jobs.

2) If you like new learning about how to use new backup software, you'll get an opportunity to with every new release. It's like learning a new software package every year.

3) My servers are backed up.

What do you dislike?

Symantec's inability to choose a direction and stick to it.

In an effort to compete with other products invading the space they once dominated (as Veritas), they make radical functional changes from version to version under the "change is painful but necessary" banner. In reality, it's all subterfuge. They are moving from version to version, attempting to locate a killer feature that they can ride to recapture lost market share. Had they incrementally changed their software instead of ignoring the competition in the VM space until it was too late, they would not be in panic mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unfortunately, this is a defacto standard. Most companies I have dealt with use this application in some capacity. And to an extent, if you are still backing up to tape, it is a hard sell to have upper management spend dollars to replace something that, while painful to manage, does work.

Ultimately, the product does what it is supposed to. Our servers are backed up. My DR plan is filled out. I have met the corporate requirement.

"Inexpensive Backup Software"

What do you like best?

It's designed for small data Backup and Recovery. With that, it saves you money on a backup software. I also like that you can now integrate AWS as a Target. It's fairly easy to use Backup software. The support you get is A+.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that the reports interface can be improved. It's too complicated for me to customize reports. Almost every reports that I have to collect data needs the vendor to support me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for small data size backup.

The business problem is having a low cost backup software to provide DR of data. The benefits is having to restore data when needed without paying so much for a backup software.

Backup Exec review by Luca C.
Luca C.

"A complete tool to backup your servers"

What do you like best?

The power of Backup Exec is definitely the ease of use, the multiple operations possible like simple backups or CD level backup backup, you can back up a server as an "image" and restore it even to dissimilar hardware.

It can be used differently depending on the specific business needs, it can certainly be very useful for Migration of data or the entire infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

In the agents interface you can add a lot of "plug-ins", these allow you to personalize as much as possible the product according to your needs, the majority of these, however, requires an extra payment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are lots of products that offer similar functionality to symantec backup exec, depending on how big is your company or depending on your real needs, evaluated well if there are products at lower prices that can to hear about. If I'm not mistaken, if you do not buy any agent (add-on) backups are allowed only in FULL option, this obviously requires space, time and a greater focus on the management of the various servers.

In my previous company we have centralized as much as possible the management of backups of multiple servers, thus allowing complete control and avoiding waste of time and various oversights.

Backup Exec review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Clunky and Difficult to Manage Enterprise Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

Server centric model that makes deploying the backup client to end users convenient, but unfortunately not very reliable.

The ability to take full backups of all virtual machines hosted on a Hyper V server through without deploying the client to all of the virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything else.

The management console is using a very poor performing SQL Anywhere database program (by default) that makes navigating the management slow and clunky. The management console itself is designed fairly well in the latest 2015 version.

The process of adding a new server or workstation takes around five manual steps. You install the client, then you create a group or add that machine to the group, then you add the client to the actual backup task (because the grouping is just there for giggles) and then you edit and make your backup selections. Repeat this process if any mistakes were made.

The process of database backups are cumbersome and slow. I had an incident recently where database backup jobs were stuck in a "Queued" state for over 30 minutes that I eventually called support about and found that this was "normal" for the first run as it scanned the databases, but there was no documentation of this behavior.

You can create useful "media sets" for Tape backups, but no such sets for hard disk backups. The best way to use hard disk for backups in this program is to have one huge virtual (LUN) or physical drive (RAID), depending on your backup sets. If you have 3 separate disk drives setup and you're trying to manage which jobs go to which drives, you are not going to have a good time.

General backup performance is slow for us, but this could be due to our setup, admittedly.

I have not used this program when it was branded Acronis, but from my time with this program and from many other complaints on the web, this was a better product under Acronis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to go with Symantec, make sure you set it up with religious dedication to the details. Mistakes are going to give you major headaches.

We use Symantec Backup Exec as our primary backup control process and disaster recovery process for all on site servers and workstations. We have not realized many benefits from this product for the reasons outlined above. We have been looking at alternates to Backup Exec.

Backup Exec review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"Backup Exec for Physical Servers"

What do you like best?

Generally runs well and when I have issues they are easy to resolve. Restoring data is easy enough, but reading the documentation is necessary. I've found that the tape backups are more challenging to restore from vs hard drive media..

What do you dislike?

Quirky, stops working at times, have to monitor more than I would like. Interface is less than intuitive.At times we have issues with settings not working but a restart of services usually fixes the issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know what it is , the version I use is meant for data backup only.

We use this for data backups of physical servers, data size is easy to maintain, not a lot of bloat.

Backup Exec review by Emily S.
Emily S.

"Solid product. Purchase verification process can be improved"

What do you like best?

Flexible restore options. Restore speed has been improved. Interface is friendlier. Loved the Instant Recovery Of VMs feature in the latest edition.

What do you dislike?

Instruction, especially the initial setup instruction, was poorly written. There was a lot of confusion to begin with between Sysmantec and Veritas. Tech support was slow to respond. That process can definitely be improved. Don't like the changes they create every year. Adding new features is understandable, but significant changes including installation process only adds to burden of re-learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Streamline any process between Sysmantec and Veritas. Simplified tech support process.

Data backup to tape on daily basis. As an organization that hosts PHI, especially PHI from research studies, it is important to have data backup that's time point based.

Backup Exec review by Paul L.
Paul L.

"A Smart Way To Backup"

What do you like best?

I like the scheduled/automated backup tasks Symantec Backup offers. The program runs on both a 64 bit as well as a 32 bit Windows Server OS.

What do you dislike?

Symantec Backup software can require a little bit of time to learn all the features offered by this product. After trying different features available, you'll be able perform many backup tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do recommend Symantec Backup software as a robust program to backup your data onto tape. It does a great job running scheduled backups onto a tape unit library system.

In order to have backups of our data on tape and stored offsite, Symantec Backup software comes in handy to get this job done. It provides different backup software modules that you can purchase separately on an as needed basis.

Backup Exec review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Good backup and recovery software for small business."

What do you like best?

The Veritas Backup Exec software is the central repository for my organization's long term backup strategy. Tapes created using this software are stored offsite in a vault and I have had no problems restoring any data from any tape at all. I feel it is reliable and keeps my data safe.

What do you dislike?

The technical support. It seems that no matter what problem I am having with the Backup Exec product, I cannot ever get a straight answer out of technical support. It frustrates me to no end that the company that created the product cannot even support it very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. If you find that it works for you, great! If not, there are plenty of other backup and restore options out there.

We use Backup Exec for long term, tape backups of critical organizational data. The fact that I have been able to restore data from any of my Backup Exec tapes without any issue is a benefit that I could never put a price on.

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Backup Exec 2015"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec 2015 Capacity Edition is a reliable product..simple to configure and manage and it just works

What do you dislike?

I dont like the fact that tech support typically is not very saavy at speaking the English language...thats a huge barrier for me. Calls take way longer than necessary because i have to ask them to repeat everything at least twice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I had used Backupexec in a previous workplace where we backed up much larger data sets....we essentially outgrew BackupExec and they actually admitted they could no longer support the amount of data we managed. We were backing up around 20-40 TB per weekend in our full backups...lots of photo, video, music, large photoshop/illustrator files. It became nearly impossible to successfully backup everything...jobs would just stop running or error out...it got to the point where i would spend 2-3 hrs every day on the phone with tech support to try and remedy the errors....to no avail....after months of this...we had to engage another vendor and we ultimately switched to a disk to disk based solution (Unitrends).

when i began working here at CLC....the backups were non functioning...no backups had been successfully run in over 4 months. I completely wiped out the backup exec installation and reinstalled it from scratch and reconfigured all backups.

Backup Exec review by Consultant

"360 Degree Protection with Veritas Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

Not only Backup Exec protects various environment from Virtuall, Cloud , Physical it also integrates with Info Map to give holistic view of what we have in our DC as well as cloud which allows to take appropriate actions with regards to data management

What do you dislike?

I hope they come with feature withing BE to failover servers using Azure & AWS native tools right with in the management console

Recommendations to others considering the product

If anyone looking for data management solution Veritas BE is definately a good choice also its integration with Information Map make it a formidable solution

We are trying to consolidate data management and at the same time make the data highly available when needed. With this we are able to achieve compliance and uptime

Backup Exec review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Sys admin's view of Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

There isn't much that I do like about backup exec. If I had to pick one thing it would be the technical support.

What do you dislike?

Database becomes corrupted frequently. Unintuitive setup process. Doesn't have drivers for some devices and takes a call to support. There were times that an update made the drivers incompatible and the roll-back process is quite painful. It was either roll back to a previous version or not be able to back up to our tape library.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just because it's the biggest, doesnt mean it's the best. There are other options out there that do the job just as good, for a better price and easier to use and setup. The telephone support for them is top notch. They will stay with you until the problem is solved and if they say they are going to call back, they will call back.

We used it to backup user files from 5 file servers onto tape.

Backup Exec review by Emmanuel E.
Emmanuel E.

"Backup Solution for Mid and Small office"

What do you like best?

This is one or the easy solutions in the market. Veritas is always improvement them self. The Microsoft support is the best.

What do you dislike?

The support for cloud is still a work in progress.

The console can has some room to improvement.

They need a web console.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The relation price vs utility is the best

When you need a backup solution that almost not need support you have more time to work in other things.

Working with MIcrosoft's based architecture is simple with Backup Exec

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Reliable backup solution with a terrible interface"

What do you like best?

The best feature is the ability to create complex backup plans with multiple base backups with daily or hourly incrementals.

What do you dislike?

The interface is awful. There appear to be at least three ways to create backups under different tabs and sections. It is almost impossible to figure out how to restore a single file or an entire drive in an emergency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Become acquainted with the user interface before committing to this product. Backups work well and are reliable. However, in an emergency it is difficult to find the right place to go to restore a file or folder.

I am backing up multiple internal and customer systems at two locations. We have been able to quickly recover from deleted files and crashed hard drives.

Backup Exec review by Benjamin K.
Benjamin K.

"Solid Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

The GUI is intuitive and easy to use. Backup jobs process at a decent speed relative to the size of the backup.

What do you dislike?

It can be a challenge to get the storage configured correctly the first time around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a solid program for the price. Fairly easy to setup aside from the storage, and there are enough whitepapers and articles on Symantec's website to solve setup issues.

By setting up multiple jobs across multiple devices we have reduced our backup window substantially.

Backup Exec review by Administrator

"As complicated or simple as you need it to be"

What do you like best?

The user interface is intuitive and gives you access to all the features you use the most

What do you dislike?

Error reporting is often difficult to decipher

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a granular control of what needs backing up then this is a good product but if you just backup everything there are cheaper products on the market

We have implemented a disk to disk to tape backup system which it manages with minimum fuss and excludes those files we have deemed unnecessary saving backup space.

Backup Exec review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Backup the backup"

What do you like best?

good value for the money and easy to setup basically idiot proof to configure. this easy concept makes it a great tool for the novice user and small business owner trying to maintain documents including customer manifests in a safe orderly manner.

What do you dislike?

that protection is linux server protection; not all linux servers offer 24hr support unlike majority of windows vendors, which isn't always good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it depends on your company needs.....and cost expense in researching backup solutions honestly....the ease of use and setup makes this a win-win...

backup employee payroll and other pertinent information for our company; the benefits include the basic fact it isn't as expensive as some of the other backup solutions out there

Backup Exec review by Flavio S.
Flavio S.

"useful program for the management of enterprise backup"

What do you like best?

this software is very simple tu use, i try different product to backup our systems, symsntec backup exec is better than other similar products. I prefer the GUI interface , it's very user friendly.

every month in my company we proceed with the disaster recovery testing and i never had any problems for restoring files

What do you dislike?

this software require many hardware resources , not suitable for older systems

the product is used by my clients easily . The maintenance of this software is minimal and several times this software has saved me time to recovery lost or damaged files, file recovery is very precise .

often for my clients i create daily backups, the backups file are stored on server disc for a month, i use the incremental backup method.I prefer this method because I can save much disk space.

Backup Exec review by Heath H.
Heath H.

"Solid backup solution"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec is a very solid, reliable, backup solution. It is extremely easy to install, configure, and maintain. Performing backups are pretty straight-forward and restores are just as easy. I know I don't have to worry about my files being backed up which gives me a tremendous peace of mind.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a big sluggish sometimes. The lag between changing screens makes it a bit challenging but it's nothing terribly difficult to get used to.

We have the need to backup several small networks. Backup Exec works very well in these situations and the price point is reasonable.

Backup Exec review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"Security in knowing that backups are retrievable."

What do you like best?

Easy to see the current state of your backups from one central console. As well as a simple restore facility which allows restoration of data to different locations from where it was backed up to.

What do you dislike?

How it does not swap the different available storage resources in the storage pool so that large backups can continue on alternative storage when the original storage runs out of space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for a trial from Symantec before purchasing.

Data integrity is achieved with our users able to rely on getting a previous version of a file when they make a mistake and overwrite good data with bad data.

Backup Exec review by Anirudh K.
Anirudh K.

"Backup and recoevry for small environments "

What do you like best?

Its is a very simple backup tool to manage

What do you dislike?

It is not very feature rich as compared to other tools

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its is good for backing up small infrastructure

Taking backups for small regional sites having 2-3 servers at each location

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Excellent software"

What do you like best?

The interface has improved dramatically over the years. There were some hiccups back in the 2012 version but an upgrade to 2014 was offered for free.

What do you dislike?

The licensing model can be difficult to understand. Sometimes it feels like you need a dedicated backup engineer on staff in order to understand your specific requirements. It's easy to spend too much or too little money leaving you with extra licenses or realizing you don't have enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the admin guide.

Able to provide bare metal disaster recovery for many virtual environments.

Backup Exec review by Rodney P.
Rodney P.

"Amazing Backup Software for an affordable price!"

What do you like best?

This is by far the best backup software for the price and for a wide range of business needs. I personally have used Backup Exec since 1992 until 2017 and all versions have been progressively improved.

The GUI now makes it very easy to use and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Besides very minor problems occasionally and some intervention is needed it is still quite automated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best general solution for all round backup.

All backup needs are meet for a small to moderately large corporate organization without getting too expensive.

Backup Exec review by Ehsan G.
Ehsan G.

"very flexible tool"

What do you like best?

it's agents very complete and compatible with all os.

it's ui is easy for me and email notifications very beauty for my costumers

support of new technology's in update version is very good for me

What do you dislike?

main dashboard graphical view not good

this page not view cpu , network , storage performances

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work by backupexec and have a good sleep

backup of my data center very critical point

in this data center 40 server with many virtualling system and many vm's 7 24 work and data lost is a restrict for my job.

Backup Exec review by Depak P.
Depak P.

"Thorough back up software"

What do you like best?

Simple to use, a few clicks and you're pretty much away

What do you dislike?

Time taken to restore items a bit longer than a previous role but that may have to do with the tape drive being different.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose the right backup tapes. We had a few non starters before finding ones which worked for us.

Ease of use, simply grabbing the folders you need to back up made short work of keeping our data secure. Time saved.

Restoring although took a little longer than expected was still very easy to use. All in all an easy application to work with.

Backup Exec review by Terry M.
Terry M.

"Backup - the way to go"

What do you like best?

I really prefer the disaster recovery aspect of the software. We also have multi drives but I don't know much about that

What do you dislike?

I had a little trouble creating the SDR disk. But I believe it was my own issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good name that you don't really have to pay more for the name!

The simplicity of the program allows more than a few admins can be available in emergencies.

Backup Exec review by Brian J.
Brian J.

"A robust backup solution"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that some of the old features of Symantec Backup Exec have been restored. This was one of the main reasons that we stopped using it to begin with. The bare metal restore feature has come in handy in a couple of situations when we've had older servers fail and needed to restore to virtual or to newer physical servers.

What do you dislike?

There weren't a whole lot of things that we disliked about the product. Although we just used it in a test environment, it performed very well, especially the bare metal restore capabilities. BMR can really save your bacon if you've just had a server fail and need to virtualize or replace it with new and different hardware.

We were able to solve the issue of reliable backups without having to deal with failures and other issues that we experienced with other lesser products.

Backup Exec review by Luke C.
Luke C.

"Poor interface. Miss BackupExec 2010"

What do you like best?

Compression rate is good. Speed is adequate for the amount we backup on a weekly basis.

What do you dislike?

The interface design looks like a 5th grader did it. Poorly designed and difficult to get to items that should be readily accessible

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you like complex administration avoid it. TSM is ahead of then.

Backups and restores are the only problems this solves.

Backup Exec review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Need backup for your files? Veritas Backup Exec is for you!"

What do you like best?

I liked the fact that my employer could have a free 60 day trial to try-out the product. I think that is a great idea especially if one doesn't know if they want to purchase a backup and recovery product. The product is very simple and the down-time for the recovery of files is relatively short.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't use the backup exec for one's own personal use. I didn't like the fact that the company is on the other end of the country from where I live and sometimes getting a hold of the company on the phone was difficult. When I did get a hold of the company, my conversation with them was very technical and I didn't quite have a good understanding.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest using Veritas Backup Exec for a business.

I was trying to find a solution for a backup and recovery program for my school. I realize the benefits for having a backup/recovery system are quite big.

Backup Exec review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"Has gotten overly complicated"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec has always done a good job for our business. We've been using it for over 20 years now.

What do you dislike?

In it's last few iterations, it has gone from being an easy to use, easy to manage application to a complicated, hard to use, have to call IT for help solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure if I have discovered something better. Hopefully they will turn things around before I am forced to switch

Simply put, we use it to backup our data.

Backup Exec review by Michael J.
Michael J.

"Symantec Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

Works great for simple Backup Solutions. We have used this product for about 10 years now to backup Medical Images to Tape and Disk.

What do you dislike?

They do not handle Virtual Environments very well. Also the Customer service has been lacking. They have no ability to apply solutions to special circumstances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are selecting this software for the right reasons, not just justified on the cost of the software. Spending 10% more could make you happier in some situations.

Backup and retention of critical Medical Data that needs addressed for Compliance.

Backup Exec review by Roberta J.
Roberta J.

"Virtas (Backup Exec)"

What do you like best?

Software is very easy to use and works well.

What do you dislike?

Do not forget to renew your annual software maintenance agreement; you will not get a reminder when it gets close to your renewal time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should definitely use this for a backup and recovery solution.

We use it for backing up our data servers and for data recovery.

Backup Exec review by Roberto B.
Roberto B.

"One of the best"

What do you like best?

One of the best available. Support, extremely personalizable and granular restore.

Need time to configure but in case of error you are able to restore or find problem in log file.

Must have in these day with Cryptolocker infection.

What do you dislike?

Not easy to configure, u need a training or some course. I

Got some problem labeling dat tapes. It's a bit complicated to create dat tape set.

Too meny services to monitoring.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best solution for SOHO and middle company. Need to spend a bit for license and addin.

backup is too important now a day.

Daily backup, data mail and database. Great disaster recovery

It could also restore singular file from full backup or backup on different support.

Learning about Veritas Backup Exec?

* We monitor all Veritas Backup Exec reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.