Veritas Backup Exec

Backup Exec is one integrated product that protects virtual and physical environments, simplifies both backup and disaster recovery, and offers unmatched recovery capabilities

Work for Veritas Backup Exec?

Learning about Backup Exec?

Veritas Backup Exec Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 102 Backup Exec reviews
Backup Exec review by <span>Praveen N.</span>
Praveen N.

"Typical Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

Technical Customer care support is pretty good and in fact very quick at responding. Can open support tickets via Veritas support portal or via phone or by online chat too. On Level 4 critical System production down, support will respond in minutes and try to solve the issue. Backup Exec is able to backup virtual Machines and physical servers too.

What do you dislike?

Very Expensive compared to other backup solutions available now in the market like Veeam, Altero which also have some backdrops like unable to backup physical machines but good comparable solutions. Veritas license for each module is very expensive. Need to buy license for each agent and a server core license and if at all if we need to use more than 1 drive to run the backups , we need to buy extra Library expansion option licenses along with core license.

In present days we have many issues with backing up several servers and with sql server instances. Support asking us to create separate jobs for drives on the servers and Sql server or My sql instances, which doesn not make any sense and after doing that too, the jobs fail. The jobs success has become very inconsistent now a days. We are on Backup exec 16 and they say that they cannot support SQL server 2017.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask veritas for a test license to try and see if your backups are consistent before buying the solution

Getting backups for all critical production servers, of course with few flaws. Can recover files in granular level from backups and able to backup database instances and applications along with drives.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Veritas Backup Exec
Backup Exec review by <span>Richard M.</span>
Richard M.

"Could be so much better."

What do you like best?

Interface is clean and easy to use.

Jobs, storage and scheduling is easy to set up.

External storage devices are easy to add.

What do you dislike?

Very poor first-line support

Several bugs found but Veritas seem incapable or unwilling to acknowledge them, seem to have no way of reporting them either, I was directed to a page for suggesting Functionality and Ideas.

Cannot use incremental or differential jobs on a NAS as BE cannot install agent.

Registry hack needed to make some reports function correctly.

Job failures reported when job has actually succeeded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Product itself is not too bad but support is very lacking. Read up on software problems before purchasing.

Complex backup schedules working alongside other backup solution vendors.

What Backup solution do you use?

Backup Exec review by <span>Kevin S.</span>
Kevin S.

"Backup Exec 16"

What do you like best?

New redesigned interface is much better than previous product. Also nice to finally see Veritas branding. The full features of complete VM recovery are a nice addition that Veritas has made recently. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

What do you dislike?

Support is still lacking. I have found that anytime I am needing to really make progress on support I have to get a technical lead on the phone. Being in IT I know the routine of going through the basics but sometimes it is overwhelming. They do have a quick turnaround on basic support if the issue does not have to be sent to a engineer.

We use this software to back up our complete server infrastructure. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

Backup Exec review by <span>Ian R.</span>
Ian R.

"SImple to use and setup and it works."

What do you like best?

It is easy to setup and keep up to date. It has been easy to add additional servers. When I needed to restore data, it has been there.

What do you dislike?

I find that licensing can be confusing. It has told be I should be using VM features every time I add a virtual server, but I am not license for that version of the agent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for nightly scheduled backups. If you need instant recovery points and many VM, I would recommend Veeam or Zerto.

The software keeps an update copy of the servers and data I back up. I have been able older versions of files and do complete bare metal server restores when needed.

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Government Relations
Administrator in Government Relations

"Common Backup Software"

What do you like best?

With the latest Backup Exec backup software, comes the abilities to store your backup to the clouds (AWS). The backup software enables you to backup your VMs and dataset. What I mean by dataset is the grandular backup say c:\folder instead of the VMs.

The wizard that guides you to do the backup is straight forward, but it's really up to you to customize your type of backup (Differential, Incrmental, Full, Schedule, and Email Notification). It's not too complex. The customer service that you get is great. I recommend customer service if you have questions.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like is not being able to create a backup group with the same schedule and place the backup VMs or dataset into them. I would have to create each backup hosts individually which is awful. The previous versions, I forget which one, had the ability too. I don't understand why it was taken out. In addition, backup is not deduplicated at the block or file level. I have proven this point to the customer service and they verified that it wasn't even though the product says it is deduplicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the company wants to save money with a backup software, get Backup Exec. However, there's a price for the low cost. That price is recovery of your data. It will take time to recover and backup your large data.

Finding a backup software that can allow for backup for a fraction of the cost of a more robust application. The costs of saving is money. That's why we have it.

Backup Exec review by <span>Maria B.</span>
Maria B.

"Excellent Solution for a Reasonable Price"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and set up. We use on standalone servers and Microsoft Hyper-V. Reliable and works well with an over-the-network NAS server. I have been using this product in various environments for over 12 years, and I have had only minimal problems. that were easily resolved.

What do you dislike?

The program can slow down and it can be difficult to figure out why. Sometimes it is a network problem and others it is the NAS itself. It would be helpful to have some troubleshooting. It does require quite a bit of memory to keep it running smoothly, but works well on a virutal machine, so that was not a problem for us.

We are backing up all of our servers and saving the data over our WAN to a remote elementary school. Saves us time and money from using backup tapes and paying a company to store them offsite

Learning about Veritas Backup Exec?

* We monitor all Veritas Backup Exec reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.