Veritas Backup Exec

Backup Exec is one integrated product that protects virtual and physical environments, simplifies both backup and disaster recovery, and offers unmatched recovery capabilities

Work for Veritas Backup Exec?
Acronis review  2x

Learning about Backup Exec?

Veritas Backup Exec Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 97 Backup Exec reviews
Backup Exec review by <span>Ian R.</span>
Ian R.

SImple to use and setup and it works.

What do you like best?

It is easy to setup and keep up to date. It has been easy to add additional servers. When I needed to restore data, it has been there.

What do you dislike?

I find that licensing can be confusing. It has told be I should be using VM features every time I add a virtual server, but I am not license for that version of the agent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for nightly scheduled backups. If you need instant recovery points and many VM, I would recommend Veeam or Zerto.

The software keeps an update copy of the servers and data I back up. I have been able older versions of files and do complete bare metal server restores when needed.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Veritas Backup Exec
Backup Exec review by <span>Kevin S.</span>
Kevin S.

Backup Exec 16

What do you like best?

New redesigned interface is much better than previous product. Also nice to finally see Veritas branding. The full features of complete VM recovery are a nice addition that Veritas has made recently. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

What do you dislike?

Support is still lacking. I have found that anytime I am needing to really make progress on support I have to get a technical lead on the phone. Being in IT I know the routine of going through the basics but sometimes it is overwhelming. They do have a quick turnaround on basic support if the issue does not have to be sent to a engineer.

We use this software to back up our complete server infrastructure. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

What Backup solution do you use?

Backup Exec review by Administrator in Government Relations
Administrator in Government Relations

Common Backup Software

What do you like best?

With the latest Backup Exec backup software, comes the abilities to store your backup to the clouds (AWS). The backup software enables you to backup your VMs and dataset. What I mean by dataset is the grandular backup say c:\folder instead of the VMs.

The wizard that guides you to do the backup is straight forward, but it's really up to you to customize your type of backup (Differential, Incrmental, Full, Schedule, and Email Notification). It's not too complex. The customer service that you get is great. I recommend customer service if you have questions.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like is not being able to create a backup group with the same schedule and place the backup VMs or dataset into them. I would have to create each backup hosts individually which is awful. The previous versions, I forget which one, had the ability too. I don't understand why it was taken out. In addition, backup is not deduplicated at the block or file level. I have proven this point to the customer service and they verified that it wasn't even though the product says it is deduplicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the company wants to save money with a backup software, get Backup Exec. However, there's a price for the low cost. That price is recovery of your data. It will take time to recover and backup your large data.

Finding a backup software that can allow for backup for a fraction of the cost of a more robust application. The costs of saving is money. That's why we have it.

Backup Exec review by <span>Maria B.</span>
Maria B.

Excellent Solution for a Reasonable Price

What do you like best?

Easy to use and set up. We use on standalone servers and Microsoft Hyper-V. Reliable and works well with an over-the-network NAS server. I have been using this product in various environments for over 12 years, and I have had only minimal problems. that were easily resolved.

What do you dislike?

The program can slow down and it can be difficult to figure out why. Sometimes it is a network problem and others it is the NAS itself. It would be helpful to have some troubleshooting. It does require quite a bit of memory to keep it running smoothly, but works well on a virutal machine, so that was not a problem for us.

We are backing up all of our servers and saving the data over our WAN to a remote elementary school. Saves us time and money from using backup tapes and paying a company to store them offsite

Backup Exec review by <span>Bill S.</span>
Bill S.

Backup Exec is a time tested solution.

What do you like best?

Ease of use and a program that has been around for a long time. Backup Exec is a standard for business. I have used this product since the late 1990's in various applications. In addition to the age there is backward compatibility which allows use with older archives without the need for a converter or migration process.

What do you dislike?

Backup exec is difficult to use with differential backups. This could be improved. The other thing is the user interface is very dated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many solutions for backup - Backup Exec is a enterprise level backup system. There is some investment in purchase and setup but it's worth it.

On-site backup services along with some cloud based backups to systems like AWS.

Backup Exec review by <span>John S.</span>
John S.

Simple to use backup solution

What do you like best?

Backup Exec is very user friendly. Whether you want to perform a push installation of a backup agent, backup a server, or do a restore, all of the functions are easily accessible from the main console. The software also allows you to perform agentless backups of virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if Backup Exec included an option for cloud replication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Backup Exec is nice if you are looking for an option to simply backup your servers.

We are able to backup our critical servers, and easily restore any files as the need arises.

Learning about Veritas Backup Exec?

* We monitor all Veritas Backup Exec reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.