VictorOps

VictorOps is a real-time incident management platform that combines the power of people and data to embolden DevOps teams so they can handle incidents as they occur and prepare for the next one. VictorOps is making on-call suck less by tackling the entire incident lifecycle and sticking with your team through resolution.

Work for VictorOps?

Learning about VictorOps?

VictorOps Reviews

Ask VictorOps a Question
Showing 43 VictorOps reviews
VictorOps review by jonathan m.
jonathan m.

"Exceptional alerting and communication tool"

What do you like best?

VictorOps offers integrations into all of our production environment, both cloud and on-prem; as well as tie into our primary group-communication package. We are able to route these disparate alerts through a singe notification tool; so that we do not need to install or monitor a variety of apps. The fine-grained controls that are in place for each of our data teams is also wonderful. TeamA needs 15 minute escalation thresholds with a backup team member; while TeamB only requires an hour-long window. Management can be slotted anywhere in the escalation chain as required by each team.

What do you dislike?

battery usage when on call; and the phone app doesn't have 100% feature parity of the web portal. But both of those may be the nature of the mobile beast.

Ensuring our Real-time data pipeline is performant. Both user-facing data that has sub-200ms thresholds as well as the large data lake ingestion pipeline that the front-end data stream produces must be performing within specifications. VictorOps allows us to define the ever-changing thresholds and respond to business impacting events immediately.

If an emergency appears outside of business hours, VIctorOps has allowed us to contact stakeholders, product owners or developers directly, immediately; and with effective results. If someone is not on call, therefore not anticipating any communication but their input is required; VictorOps will alert the your phone as if you are on call. Other communication tools may emit a simple notification try icon that may go unnoticed.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about VictorOps
VictorOps review by Brian A.
Brian A.

"Simple to use, reliable incident management solution!"

What do you like best?

Both the web and mobile app are fantastic that allow for full control whether you are on a computer, mobile app, or Slack.

What do you dislike?

That the app wakes me up in the middle of the night! Truly don't have any dislikes with the solution. Support is always willing to assist with any issues including finding a solution due to any specific business requirement you have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This solution is a must for any IT, DevOps, or Operations. Previously sent alerts to text messages manually resulting in missed alerts and alert fatigue for team members that weren't on-call. VictorOps manages the alerting process seamlessly with excellent scheduling functionality, including temporary overrides when needed, to ensure your entire team maintains a quality of life!

Ability to support 24x7x365 rotation between a 4 member team. The "timeline" feature is excellent both for real-time incident response as well as allowing for detailed post-mortems.

What Incident Management solution do you use?

VictorOps review by Roberto Enrique R.
Roberto Enrique R.

"Mobile app is awesome"

What do you like best?

The ability to handle incidents, escalations and grabbing point duty off my teammates from the mobile app is awesome. Also, the fact that alerts from VictorOps override my phone's sound profile means I can silent my phone and sleep tight while not being worried of missing a critial alert while asleep during 24 hours point duties.

The app is also light and have seen lots of improvement over time.

Working with the API is a bliss and it has many integrations with default tools like Zendesk.

I love it. 1000% recommended.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to schedule overrides and change regular scheduling from the mobile app for emergency schedule changes.

Point duties and crucial DevOps alerts from our monitoring system.

VictorOps review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"VictorOps is the best devops incident management software I've ever used"

What do you like best?

I use victorops on a daily basis with a team of other devops people, and by allowing us to schedule and customize our alerts whether that be though its many integration points or its various methods of alerting. Its easy for us to switch shifts and set up schedules. I enjoy the many different contact methods it supports so that I can set it to text me, send a push notification or call me.

What do you dislike?

In general I enjoy the android app, it's completely functional, however i'd like it to reach feature parity with the website, i'd like to be able to do all the management stuff i need to do from the website from the app. Besides that, they could also introduce a dark mode on the web version of the application

Recommendations to others considering the product

do the trial, it will help you realize how powerful it is.

We use VictorOps for our monitoring and alerting, if we need to take immediate action or open critical incidents to notify those who need to be notified. It integrates very well with our monitoring systems so that we can put all of our incident information in one place.

VictorOps review by Mark B.
Mark B.

"Solid platform for alerting and insight"

What do you like best?

VictorOps' transmogrifier and timeline are features that put them well ahead of other options when I last evaluated them against other providers. The ability to have a running stream of what has happened recently right at your fingertips when an alert goes off is invaluable to understanding the context of the problem.

Similarly, the ability to amend and modify alerts and information as they flow into the system is incredibly valuable for adding context that is specific to the alert, from links to runbooks and other information to embedded images showing relevant graph data.

The reports are also rather nice. With the ability to pull in every event around an issue to quickly generate postmortem reports that cover the key conversational points in the chat, the main events that were relevant and other incident milestones.

VictorOps hits the right notes on the main areas you'd expect too, customizable alert sounds, flexible notification options, a reliable app, SSO support, etc. The override for covering for someone is simple, and even more so if you want to just "take" the shift of someone else.

What do you dislike?

The SSO support isn't as strong as I"d like. The scheduling for oncall rotations is one that seems to be really difficult to get right. Almost no-one has found a way to provide a solid solution there. They all work great for co-located teams, but for teams trying to handle on-call rotations for team members around the world things get really dicey -- especially if you want to try to avoid waking people up. I wish this were better supported by VictorOps.

I wish the slack integration were better as well, so that we could more easily include VictorOps in conversations that happen in various slack channels instead of remembering to "chat" in its interface. This is not a simple one to solve, but it'd be great to have say, the ability to use commands to enable VictorOps to start tracking chat, then turn it off, etc for individual channels.

Our entire engineering team is on VictorOps, and nearly 100% of our alerts go into it. We use it for collating of that information for better understanding when we have an outage or impairment event, and to track who our escalation points are, manage on-call rotations, etc.

VictorOps review by User

"Effective product for our needs "

What do you like best?

We can set up multiple escalation contacts and multiple methods to contact our users. Mobile App is excellent and is kept up to date, especially now that they have implemented Dark Mode. Easy to process tickets in both the mobile app and Web page. Integration with SSO/Last Pass is a winner for us as we don't have to remember our passwords in middle off crisis

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, instead of clearing out alerts we have from Meraki, the all clear message will create a new alert we get paged on.

When there a flood of alerts , our integrated messaging room can be flooded with messages as well, but that can be modified

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. When integrating with Hipchat/Slack make sure you properly choose whiche message types will be integrated

2. Use SSO if possible

3. When setting up contact methods for users for alerts, make sure you use all methods possible in you escalation scheme, but the immediate alerts should only be one type

Able to create flexible paging schedules, and easily change schedules so that vacationing users are properly covered by their colleagues. We are also able to create automated escalation policies that allow our issues to be promptly escalated to manager if our users do not acknowledge the page. Ability to directly page users from the mobile application during a crisis allows us to quickly contact users without having to hunt down contact information.

Integrations with our systems works well

VictorOps review by Ernest M.
Ernest M.

"Good incident management system"

What do you like best?

More than just oncall scheduling, reaches deeper into the incident management process with chat integration, reporting, and the transmogrifier.

What do you dislike?

The oncall calendaring is greatly lacking, you can't make by-hour, by-day schedules without crazy workarounds. Reporting's still pretty basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Between PagerDuty, OpsGenie, and VictorOps, when we did an eval, I felt that VO had more actual incident management functionality than PD, which mostly just does oncall scheduling. OG has deeper and more complex features, but that comes at a little bit of a price of simplicity of use and admin.

Helps us respond to incidents in a timely manner, manage the personnel impact of that, and conduct postmortems to improve.

VictorOps review by Darion F.
Darion F.

"Easy to use with powerful message transformations"

What do you like best?

This tool was really easy to set up and integrated into slack and email for my team. We were also able to transform the messages from our logging database and got a more specific use out of it.

What do you dislike?

theres not much to dislike as it seems that combined with our other tools its just too great of a fit.

Victor ops solved oncall rotation and alerting for us. The message transformation tooling has been absolutely amazing, letting us know exactly what is going on and what steps are needed to solve issues with our applications

VictorOps review by David L.
David L.

"Amazing people and service"

What do you like best?

VictorOps is an amazing company of great people! Anytime we've had issues with the platform they've reached out to us through various mediums including social media to keep us up to date and aware of what's happening. The service just works too. We have never really had any issues that caused any major issues with our day to day work.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I've ever really had is that their UI isn't the greatest thing in the world, but they've been improving it quite a bit lately. Their API is still young as well and feels a little clunky at times. Again, it's something that they've been improving lately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely play around with the API and webhooks. Even if you're a small shop, start funneling the systems you use for monitoring through VictorOps to build a picture of what's happening when systems start to go down.

We leverage a lot of services to monitor our systems and programs. VictorOps helps us to keep track of all of the alerts coming in and funnel them to our various teams.

VictorOps review by William C.
William C.

"#1 Solution and #1 Organization in Their Space"

What do you like best?

Easy: the people.

I tested, built, deployed, configured, managed, and process-improved a critical VictorOps installation for a popular and growing Seattle-area website. I was there as a SQL DBA, but have a knack for the space after 20 years with folks like Microsoft Expedia, Zillow, Hewlett-Packard, BSU, Washington State, Allrecipes, and Wizards of the Coast. I've seen a lot of environments through a ton of seasons of growth and development and massive over-night site upgrades and painful outages. it may be the one time I will give myself permission to say, "Been there, done that."

VictorOps is the first time I worked so closely with a tool and the organization behind it. I was determined to put an end to the numbing deluge of alerts keeping folks on edge all hours of every day.

We had multiple monitoring systems, including, ouch, SCOM, and had to knit it all together. I wanted clean, actionable alerts that would reliably escalate. I wanted historical data that could be used for Root Cause Analysis. I wanted a solution that would be effective from anywhere and any device.

VictorOps delivered, and more.

We got things quieted just in time for the dust and noise of a major migration into the cloud. If you have done that work, you understand things can get a little hairy. To top things off, we also encountered a lovely DDOS that took us down for an entire Saturday.

VictorOps was essential to both, and we were just barely cracking into the really good features.

Did I mention the people? Send them an email and mention this review and say hello. You will know what I mean right away. VictorOps is good people building important solutions for our time.

What do you dislike?

Well, it can be tough to be critical of something for which I have such affection. I will say the thing that comes to mind a year later was the difficulty of managing the calendars. I know I could have reached out for help earlier, and believe that would have made it easier. Still, most of what I worked with was (to it's credit) very intuitive. It seems (again from old memory) that sometimes I had to click in and out of different things to remember how to set up overrides or configure for multiple teams. Just before I left we were looking at extending the deployment into the coroporate IT space. I remember it was getting a bit tricky.

The other thing was the transmogrifier. That needed some development into a more robust rules engine. I wanted to nest things, and couldn't. I wanted to create conditional flows that were easy to track, but couldn't. I understood at the end that more development was underway, so feel confident it must be looking great a year later.

I feel like there was one more thing. I'll write again if I think of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start talking with the good people at VictorOps right away. Ask all your questions, and ask for help early rather than later. Test like crazy using all the scenarios you can imagine. Plan to set up full escalation exercises, so you can get it knitted in tightly with your incident management process. VictorOps can help reduce downtime and speed RCA turnaround. Mine that data, and include KEYWORDS in the note stream for later searches.

Also: integrate it tightly with Slack. We found a beautiful solution with the two of those working together. I am just dying to work on another big deployment of those again. We were really just getting started, and there was ALL KINDS of stuff possible.

Look at everything. Click everything and read every single howto and article and blog posting. Dig into all the features, deep. Describe your perfect requirements clearly, and then challenge VictorOps to deliver. I bet they will. :-)

My review is based on professional experience over a year ago. I assume VictorOps has released a bunch of great changes as they have surely grown and prospered.

My current interest is just in concept at this point. I am building a global organization that will operate an IT and business school for Bhutanese students who will operate a global service and support operation. That operation (staffing and naming underway now) will provide administrative and comm and other support services to small missions on the ground in places such as Uganda. Today, the Internet is a powerful resource, and I am convinced the resources will make their way to those individuals in need once their stories are captured and shared in a powerful way.

VictorOps? Well, I want a way to know when a mission, or an individual faces unmet need. I want to be able to sign up for alerts if someone gets sick in the middle of the night in Uganda and needs just $44 to get well. And I surely want to know if an orphanage there has sacks full or corn they cannot eat because they don't have the money to mill it.

I see VictorOps right there, perfectly. Not watching systems, but people. If I was going to work with an organization on such a project it would surely be VictorOps.

VictorOps review by Jacques B.
Jacques B.

"On-call engineer - very happy"

What do you like best?

The fact that VictorOps has an Android app, and can be set for Push, SMS, Email, and Phone call notifications, as well as can be integrated with Slack. I find the web-portal a little bit sparse, and cumbersome, but the actual service works great.

What do you dislike?

find the web-portal a little bit sparse, and cumbersome,

After hours ICT problems are being resolved - with the on-call engineer being contacted. The biggest benefit is having a 24/7 service

VictorOps review by Carlos G.
Carlos G.

"VictorOps is helping us to build our Sustaining organization"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the simplicity to set it up and to integrate with other tools. as well as the versatility to create different teams with different escalation schedules and paging policies. I also like having the ability to alter some of the alert fields using the transmogrifier.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations when integrating with other tools. E.g., I use Jira to manage issues, and I can set Jira up to trigger sending alerts to VictorOps. However, these alerts only contain limited information from Jira, I also miss the ability to communicate back to Jira. Another thing that I can't do, is to re-route issues to a different person, so when I acknowledge a case, I become the owner and I can't delegate it to a different person.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I imagine that in most situations VictorOps will work in combination with other tools (in my case, JIra, although we considered integrating with SalesForce too). Try to learn all the capabilities when integrating with these tools and automate as much as you can (or you feel comfortable with). I haven't finished evaluating the reports yet, but this is also an important aspect to become successful, and so far it's looking good. Make sure the reporting capabilities also met your requirements.

The business problems that we're trying to solve are making sure that we address and resolve customer escalations in a timely manner as defined by the service level agreements, The main benefits are that we can keep track of all the issues as they happen, and that we make sure that the right people get notified.

VictorOps review by J. Steven Y.
J. Steven Y.

"Finally a Tool that gets it!"

What do you like best?

The fact that I can combine escalation/rotation schedules directly into a tool with consolidated monitoring was exciting. The added bonus of being able to route between various escalation points and direct communications for incidents is simply mind-blolwing.

What do you dislike?

The only thing thus far I have slight issue with is not having a tabbed view of environments. I would like an easier way of viewing what is production versus pre-prod alerts to better filter what takes precedence. I can do this in a round about way with transmogrification of incoming events and manual filtering, but I would like it to be simpler and built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it!

I am solving the major problem of having far too many places to look when monitoring environments. With the consolidated view of our systems into one portal, my teams are able to focus attention on a front line of alerting. The system then specifies where an alert was generated; giving direction on a logical path to follow during triage.

VictorOps review by Matthew F.
Matthew F.

"Excellent service for tracking server outages as they happen"

What do you like best?

Instantaneous alerting for outage, ability to delegate alerts to team members.

What do you dislike?

Since the calls use text to speech, its sometimes difficult to hear the name of the server which has an outage, though once aware you can just check the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Research and make sure the service has exactly what you need. Our needs are very basic but the VictorOps software is capable of much more advanced tasks.

Being in charge of the servers at my company, I need to be able to quickly be aware of and respond to any outages that occur. VictorOps is easily integrated into our existing monitoring software, and quickly calls my cell phone since I'm less likely to immediately be able to see the emails coming in. We've never had an issue with the reporting, and since all the phone numbers originate from the same area code, the calls are easily identifiable.

VictorOps review by Chad L.
Chad L.

"An alert funnel"

What do you like best?

VictorOps has given us a place to send all alerts. Continuous integration, infrastructure monitoring, Zendesk, etc. That means that we spend less time configuring alerts in multiple different applications and instead configure them once in VictorOps. It also means not having to alert 20 different people, only the on-call user will know (if we choose so) the alert is happening and this has fixed the alert fatigue we were experiencing.

What do you dislike?

The on-call scheduling could use some tweaking. It works well for teams that hand off on-call on a consistent schedule, but we have one team that might hand off on-call multiple times during the day and the hours might not always be the same day to to day. Having a calendaring system (not unlike Outlook meetings) as an option would be handy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at the integration they offer and determine the value proposition for your company. For us they had about all of the bases covered and for the ones they don't we've been able to write hooks for.

The biggest item we were looking to solve for was having a consistent way of handling alerts. Every new system we use has it's own set of logic and rarely do they have the ability to alert only an on-call individual. This leaves you alerting far more people than you should just to hope that someone responds, this is a sure fired way to make sure that EVERYONE ignores the problem, assuming someone else is handling it.

We're now responding to and resolving issues much quicker because if you get paged you know you're the one responsible for starting triage.

VictorOps review by Cameron H.
Cameron H.

"VictorOps really does make On-call suck Less"

What do you like best?

I love their responsiveness to the community and their working directly with us to make the best of their solution. Web hooks and other features are coming along nicely. The company really does well in the DevOps realm and provides CI/CD on their product.

Any time I have an issue or a feature request the team is quick to respond and to implement requests.

The team also is a leader in the DevOps community and they are willing to share their experiences with other teams out there.

I also love the fact that they are a local company so we are able to collaborate with them in person.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I have disliked hasn't already been addressed. The one they are working on right now is the sms length sent from VO but that is more on the Nagios side of the house than VO.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to their sales team. Look at playing around with a sandbox. Checkout onsite demos. These people are awesome at what they do and they integrate really well with multiple monitoring systems.

We are getting all our monitoring through VO now and are ability to respond to alerts has increased dramatically. We are also able to see trending and are actively working to get play books and ticketing integrated with the alarms through the transmogrification tools.

As we continue to flesh out our monitoring system we look forward to integrating even more into out system.

VictorOps review by Sky L.
Sky L.

"VictorOps - Centralizing alerting and improving communication"

What do you like best?

The ChatOps nature of VictorOps is one of the biggest reasons we chose it over competitors. They are a growing company and very responsive to customers needs. Anytime we've ever had an issue or requested a feature they've replied immediately and kept us informed of their progress. Aso, integrations! The amount of integrations (DataDog, HipChat, StatusPage, etc.) already matches our existing needs and it continues to grow. On top of all that the Transmogrifier has been very useful for us in amending alerts with critical information like graphs and Runbooks.

What do you dislike?

The API is not as robust as I would like, but there are many built in integration's. That is being corrected though with many improvements being added and in the pipeline.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VictorOps can take a bit of time to set up and get everyone on board and comfortable using the tool, but once it's done everyone will be happier. Managing Alerting and on-call rotations without this type of tooling is untenable as your organization grows.

Initially we used a competitor for part of our company, but the rest was still using phone numbers on a spreadsheet to contact people during an incident. We used VictorOps to centralize all of our alerting and got everyone into this tool. The individual paging policies and team escalations made contacting the right person a breeze, and has dramatically improved our incident resolution times.

VictorOps review by Aaron A.
Aaron A.

"VictorOps makes on-call suck less through improved visibility"

What do you like best?

VictorOps has a very clean, streamlined approach to alerting and some excellent DevOps philosophies tied into product design that really create a top-notch product.

My favorite feature is the Transmorgrifier that allows you to attach annotations and runbooks directly to an alert. So in the same breath that you get alerted about a problem, all the tools you need to fix it, can be linked. Very, Very handy.

The timeline layout lends itself well to the ChatOps philosophy and quickly allows you to see exactly whats happening. If your response is completed in Chat as well, it can all be exported in a single PostMortem Review. Very handy for quickly getting from Problem to Fix to Review and improvement.

What do you dislike?

The only real issue I have with VictorOps is the available API. There are some issues with the quality and quantity of the API currently published, but they are working on this now. They have also improved with the availability of outbound Webhooks that I have not yet had a chance to dive deeply into and incorporate in our own processes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely get engages with the VictorOps product team. They're very communicative about their product and will do many things to make sure their product works for you. We have been nothing but satisfied with the product, but more importantly, the VictorOps team and community.

This product has solved our need for an on-call alerting system while also providing additional functionality beyond simple on-call handling. While it fits the simple roles of alerting the on-call technician and getting awareness of problems in the production environment, it also allows us to enforce an awareness in our Ops community about ongoing issues and ties in well to our existing processes.

With the available API we have also been able to automate our telephone on-call support queue using the existing scheduling in VictorOps, including the ability to override the current schedule for vacations, etc. This has been a great benefit as we now only have a single place to manage all of our on-call scheduling.

VictorOps review by Dave N.
Dave N.

"Does what it says on the tin - and more!"

What do you like best?

VictorOps is the Cadillac of alert management. The timeline and 'social' aspects of VO are what differentiate it from simple "beep this person at this time" offerings and having used it for a few years now, it's hard to imagine operating any other way. Being on call can be stressful but being able to easily 'loop in' help via the chat/timeline features is absolute gold.

In addition, the ability to change (VO calls them "transmogrify" - thanks Calvin!) alerts on the fly is a great feature. For example, we transmogrify our alerts to include a link to a runbook, a direct link to the logs for the service and the status of whatever public cloud we are using. You can also re-route alerts dynamically to a different team.

What do you dislike?

I think my only dislike is with the mobile app. The app generates alerts using push notification with a sound tied to the alert. Alerts have 2 status - alert (duh!) and resolved. Alas, there is only one sound you can associate with an alert. So you get woken up to RED ALERT but it's also RED ALERT when an issue is resolved. It would be great to have separate sounds per state.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate VO head-to-head with the main competitor in this space and you'll see that VO does everything AND more. Don't underestimate how helpful the timeline and chat functionality can be when working on an issue at 2am

The main problems we were solving were two fold:

1) Consolidate alerts from many systems into one place. We had alerts coming from around 6 different sources, each of which had to be individually configured with email addresses, etc. With VictorOps, we just funnel the alerts into VO and the logic for who gets notified is now in one place.

2) Alert the right person. As per above, some systems (like Nagios) do have the ability to route alerts but others just send an email to an address. We wanted all alerts to be routed to the correct person or team. By routing them all into VO, we can now do this.

VictorOps review by Ian N.
Ian N.

"Victor Ops, the not always silent but happily added team mate!"

What do you like best?

From an operation perspective victor ops has allowed my organization to go from purely a reactionary based operational agenda, to a proactive team with awareness filled to the brims. We have the capability to tune and modify our configuration to generate even more detailed reports surrounding events that occur during shifts. Honestly the best feature would have to be the seamless capabilities when switching from mobile to desktop/laptop interface. I love the ability to ack an alert on my mobile device and read the full details, and then go to my system and write up any annotations corresponding to the alert I received.

What do you dislike?

So far you have the ability to isolate alerts to a specific team. I think a great addition would be the ability to boil down alerts to a specific team member. We have had several instances where there is only one resource available during a window, and since they are a member of multiple teams an alert was missed. Granted the alerts were not critical or customer impacting but the potential was there. Otherwise this is one of the most solid Alerting/On-Call/Dev tools I have utilized in quite some time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering using VictorOps then you are one step in the right direction! Step two is contacting victorops for a demo or trial and see for yourself exactly how they are changing the shape of the industry to allow us to provide better service.

We are constantly evolving our integration with victor ops and expanding the benefits to more teams. Currently we are in the process of bringing our development team closer to our alerting system so they are more in tune with the day to day operational challenges that the ops team is facing. Having the ability to route alerts to a different team so as to bring their attention to the matter is a godsend for my organization. We all know that communication between teams can be a challenge. With victor ops a good portion of those challenges are no longer a factor!

VictorOps review by Mike P.
Mike P.

"Alerting at your convenience"

What do you like best?

VictorOps was a great solution for us as it allowed all those on call to pick how they want to be alerted with custom options for phone numbers to call, email addresses to send to, sms and push alerts. Each individual doesn't have to worry about receiving a call at first if they are happy with sms or whatever works.

The other main plus of the platform is aggregating alerts into one timeline view. Logging into to VictorOps in the app allows us to details about the alert and what is happening around it. We have information such as new code deploys right in the timeline so we can determine if something we changed started the alert. We also use the transmogrifier to change alerts to have our runbooks and information about the cloud environments to see if they are having any issues. We also get collaboration on this timeline as everyone can post about the incident from victorops' interface or via integrated chatops.

What do you dislike?

I would want the ability to post to different slack channels in their slack integration. Right now it only posts to a single channel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start a trial, fit it in to some of your alerting and see if it's your bag.

We were looking for an alerting tool that would aggregate all our monitoring tools into one solution. From there we wouldn't have to rely on email but rather being able to use multiple contact points per person on call. With everything aggregated on the timeline we easily saved 20 minutes of investigation without having to look at multiple sources.

VictorOps review by Filipe F.
Filipe F.

"The best tool for incident routing and escalations"

What do you like best?

The incident timeline is always showing what are the recent events on our infrastructure. I also like the way it is easy to integrate external alerting tools like CloudWatch, Zabbix, NewRelic and even simple bash scripts can use just curl to create an alert.

The follow-the-sun team rotation is also awesome, we use that on our team and it was really simple to setup and get started using.

What do you dislike?

It is a little bit expensive which makes difficult for smaller companies to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Let VictorOps be your central place for incidents. Point every other system to inject its alerts into VictorOps, that way you'll have a better experience with it, then you can use the transmogrifier to have filter/ignore/improve your alerts.

Incident handling, on-call scheduling.

VictorOps review by Stewart H.
Stewart H.

"Easy devops monitoring"

What do you like best?

My favorite aspect of their system is the ability to highly customize just about everything. We do this via a tool they provide called the transmogrifier which allows you to select fields on incoming data streams and perform actions/transformations on the data. This allows for everything from stopping the alert to adding data to the message. Their call rotation is pretty cool as well; way better than others that I have seen.

What do you dislike?

The ramp up time is pretty heavy handed. It took us approximately a month to get it tuned correctly so that we weren't getting blasted by incorrect alerts. Once it was tuned though, I will say it is very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you get hung up, be quick to reach out to their technical support as they are very happy to assist. We have pinged them on many occasions in regards to their transmogirfier product and they been very helpful.

We use this for devops monitoring and system alerting for all products. It has made it easy to route to the correct person and also escalate up the chain.

VictorOps review by Administrator

"Support game-changer"

What do you like best?

Multiple team and personal escalation paths ensure that alerts are sent to the right person, not wasting anyone's time.

What do you dislike?

I leave the desktop app running all the time, and sometimes I have to refresh to see the "timeline". This is a very minor problem, it does not detract from the overall app functionality (and it could be my browser).

On-call used to be one person - with VictorOps we were able to schedule support in a non-intrusive way, ensuring the work-life balance that is part of our company's mission.

VictorOps review by Peter W.
Peter W.

"Victor Ops is helping our teams focus"

What do you like best?

Breadth of integrations couple with the smart way you can tailor alerts using their Transmogrifier

What do you dislike?

Some of the interface can seem a little cluttered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great support that helped us setup quickly. Always able to help and find methods that VictorOps could help us

System alerts and routing if those alerts

VictorOps review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"The Way On-Call alerting should be"

What do you like best?

Hands down my favorite aspect of Victorops, besides the fact that it integrates with nearly every monitoring tool on earth, is the Ack Back feature. With our previous on-call tool, alerts would be routed to the on-call sysadmin and there was no way knowing if it was a single flap or a critical issue until we actually dug in and investigated.

With Victorops, when Zabbix sends a critical alert followed by an OK alert, it automagically resolves the alert and informs the on-call engineer that his services are no longer required. It saves a lot of time and stress and is hands down my favorite feature.

What do you dislike?

The integration with our Zabbix server was not as easy as I had initially hoped. They have automated scripts that were supposed to set everything up, but I had to manually go in and edit their code to be compatible with our installation. I notified their support team of the issue and they said they would be addressing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a try.

The benefits are primarily noticed by the on-call team. False positives, network hiccups, larger than normal volume that may cause message queues to hit an alert threshold, were all issues that had to be manually investigated even if they cleared up 3-5 seconds after the alert was triggered.

Now, we get more sleep and it's easier to focus on when a true alert gets triggered.

VictorOps review by Spencer H.
Spencer H.

"Comes up short"

What do you like best?

I like that I can create incidents and respond to tickets.

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly. Very difficult to configure. Some simple, helpful features are missing (versus competitors). My development teams do not want use it because of these issues.

Need an easy to use pager tool to notify key actors when a problem occurs. (Must have API support and SSO as well.)

VictorOps review by Brian C.
Brian C.

"Great oncall tool."

What do you like best?

The timeline and being about to talk with your team in the timeline. This helps most when you can not immediately jump on an issue and you see someone else already online that you can work with.

The APP on android

The chatops integration

What do you dislike?

I wish the transmongifier had better support of reg-ex. We are sending all email through victorops and we would like to extra very specific keys and mark as warning, or immediate action.

When you have multiple teams integrating into victorops the ACK side of the tool gets busy, we have had many operates ack an alert for the wrong product and and not able to resolve this.

Also for chatops it would be nice to have specific routes go to different rooms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, if you do you will love it. You will enjoy the freedom of not having to be tied to your laptop.

This is helping splitting oncall between US and the UK. Ops is able to easily talk to developers on rollout issues or ongoing issues. The benefits are almost imesurable with how much we use this tool, victorops on day one starting solving our issues and has continued to do so.

VictorOps review by S N.
S N.

"Great alternative to Other DevOps notification platforms"

What do you like best?

Great alternative to PagerDuty and other similar services. More reasonable pricing. Office telephone call-based alerts.

What do you dislike?

The user interface can be hard to navigate.

We use it exclusively for of-call rotation schedules and “paging”/notifications.

VictorOps review by User

"Great automated solution that makes support suck less"

What do you like best?

Fully customisable and has a lot of sources to get alerts in to victor ops.

What do you dislike?

More fluid setting of roster - we don't just have a simple rotation - it varies quite dramatically and requires someone to update the roster every few weeks.

We are helping ensure that we have a solid chain of escalation when there are problems and ensuring accountability when things don't go to plan.

VictorOps review by Scott P.
Scott P.

"Best incident management solution I've ever used"

What do you like best?

Single pane of glass to see the current situation of systems. Having messages from various systems hit the same timeline makes it easier to spot wide spread issues.

What do you dislike?

API can be a bit obtuse. There are some features that only appear to exist in the mobile app.

We had a very disjoint on-call process. Now we have a single point of contact for all internal customers to use. We also used the introduction of VictorOps as a chance to get out of having SMEs handling all incidents for their systems.

VictorOps review by Valerie H.
Valerie H.

"Best customer service on the planet!"

What do you like best?

Support is ALWAYS willing & able to solve my issues & answer questions!

What do you dislike?

There has been nothing that I've disliked or had a negative experience with.

Simple and stable paging and tracking of incidents

VictorOps review by Dmitry M.
Dmitry M.

"Reliable alerting/collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

With Victorops you have a reliable method for delivery of notifications. You can be sure that notification was seen/acknowledged.

What do you dislike?

Some articles in documentation are outdated (for example page about integration with Nagios XI).

Hard to use transmogrifier.

Support usually contact you during US business hours. I was never contacted during EMEA business hours. However we had no critical tickets filed with support.

Reliable notifications from multiple monitoring sources.

Collaboration.

Shift schedule.

"Reliable on-call notifications"

What do you like best?

Powerful on-call scheduling and reliable service. Customization works exactly as we need it for notifications and rotations.

What do you dislike?

Being on call. Lack of integration with Autotask.

We use VictorOps to guarantee that our support requests are seen, responded to, and our SLA is met. We can trust the tool to make sure we never miss any communication, 24/7.

VictorOps review by John B.
John B.

"Always dependable incident management system"

What do you like best?

Simple to use service that delivers exactly what is needed to handle all of our incident management needs.

What do you dislike?

Some of the transformations have taken some testing to get right, but I really don't have a dislike. Sure I complain and have been known to use it's name as a swear word a few times. But don't shoot the messenger.

Incident management, notifications, on call, and incident reporting.

VictorOps review by Dan S.
Dan S.

"VictorOps for on-call page out "

What do you like best?

Easy post-mortems and reporting. Design is based on all incidents being actionable (no bad practices such as snoozing alerts by engineers). Good integrations with third parties. Highly responsive customer support. Ability to re-route an alert within app to another team or team member. Good escalation policies and page out policies that allow each user [engineer] to craft their own mechanisms and policy for getting contacted. Ability to transmogrify incoming alerts to desired formats.

What do you dislike?

Hard to see on-call schedules far in advance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A serious contender in this market space worth investigating.

Complex on-call scheduling and alert integrations for page out

VictorOps review by Luis E. C.
Luis E. C.

"VictorOps reduces our noise so we can see what really matters"

What do you like best?

Alerts sorted by entity

Acks

Routing to the right team the first time

What do you dislike?

Splunk integration could be better. There are some limitations to the Splunk alerting though. I'd like to see an app for splunk on the splunk app store.

We run a large txn processing platform. Downtime is very expensive. We can now see real issues in the crowd of noise.

VictorOps review by Leland G.
Leland G.

"I have only had good experiences with it so far, great platform."

What do you like best?

The plugins, fantastic amount of them! We use them to integrate into all of our systems.

What do you dislike?

Not a whole lot, possibly the interface could use a rework but I saw recent updates coming along to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get help from support on initial implementation to speed up the process, they are great and provide a great level of service

On call rotation and alerts, the escalation tier is really good to get the right people involved at the right time.

VictorOps review by User in Information Technology and Services

"great alert system for production"

What do you like best?

i like the separate columns for triggered, acknowledged and resolved alerts

What do you dislike?

i cannot easily search, and cannot delete comments

monitoring production and utilizing alert notifications to the team

VictorOps review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"VictorOps Review"

What do you like best?

Flexibility of product, continuous releasing of new features and improvement of existing UI.

What do you dislike?

Reporting is underdeveloped, administration can be difficult for larger companies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Proper implementation and administration is extremely important with this software.

Ability to loop in pertinent technical users to immediately address production issues.

VictorOps review by Stacey Y.
Stacey Y.

"EXCELLENT Integration"

What do you like best?

I like how tightly it integrates with Nagios for on-call; allowing paging to be fully acknowledged.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything at this point.

Creating a single pane of glass solution for monitoring and on-call interaction across multiple teams. It's a very tightly integrated system, which makes it easy to use.

VictorOps review by User in Computer Software

"quick and easy alerting "

What do you like best?

very configurable, easy to start and manage calls

What do you dislike?

configuration of alerts can be a bit cumbersome

alerts, high severity calls, on-call management

VictorOps review by User

"Work pretty well 90% of the time, but not always easy to modify. "

What do you like best?

Many options for alerting. Scheduling is okay, but has a learning curve.

What do you dislike?

Overriding on call is a a pain (one can not assign someone else on call unless admin). Scheduling intricate handoffs is difficult. Page loads are an issue with many teams/many users. Reporting could be more robust.

Sending email. Vo alerts us effectively.

Learn more about VictorOps

VictorOps Videos

Learning about VictorOps?

* We monitor all VictorOps reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.