Vim

Vim is a configurable text editor built to help manage efficient text editing with vi editor and UNIX System that can be used on-premise or online.

Work for Vim?

Learning about Vim?

Vim Reviews

Showing 161 Vim reviews
Vim review by Alok H.
Alok H.

"Vim is an excellent IDE"

What do you like best?

The keyboard commands allow for fast movement and editing

What do you dislike?

Nothing, really. Some users dislike the tinkering and learning curve needed to use Vim, but I like that characteristic of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely give it a try for code. It requires a learning period, but that is vastly offset with the speed acquired on mastery. And it's free!

I use vim within a remote session inside of tmux panes. Within each vim instance, I am able to efficiently edit any code, text files, and even explore/modify the file system. Once I sit down to start working, I almost never need to touch the mouse or even take my hands off the keyboard. Additionally, with its keyboard shortcuts, there is a significant speedup to editing by speeding up processes that you didn't know were wasting your time.

The biggest convenience is moving around the code. With "normal" editors, you get significant usage out of the Shift, Control, Home, and End keys to move around, along with the arrow keys. These movements take a long time and are a waste of time. Instead, with a modal editor like vim (or emacs), you sit in normal mode most of the time, where the keys don't input characters, but are mapped to various controls. Need to move to the bottom of the document? Hit G. No need to scroll down or hold the down arrow key or Page Down. Want to search for "functionName"? Type /functionName<enter> and you can scroll through all instances. No more Ctrl+F (or worse, menus accessed by mouse).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Vim
Vim review by Jake T.
Jake T.

"The best text editor of all time"

What do you like best?

Vim edits text like a boss. You can move text around, make massive edits with substitution really simply and generally do all the things very quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, vim's GUI is less than stellar. Most unfortunately, it does not have proper support for folding code in a way that's easy to see. There's lots of hacks and plugins, but they're all just that: hacks and plugins. There's not an easy way to keep proper GUI-style interface features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learning vim is tough--the keybindings don't immediately make sense. But getting over the learning curve is 100% worth it. The pay off is huge.

I use vim on a daily basis for the vast majority of my text editing--the only exception is when I'm using an IDE, in which case I'll turn vim keymappings on if they're available. I'm regularly pasting text into vim, making quick edits and copying back to whatever I need.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

Vim review by Austin R.
Austin R.

"Vim is my editor of choice"

What do you like best?

Vim is completely customizable! I can make it do whatever that I need it to do and having so many years behind it, it has little bugs. There is also a great community around it so most of the time, there is a plug in for what I need it to do. You can make it a full blown IDE or just simple. It all depends on your style of coding.

What do you dislike?

Vim is completely customizable. It's greatest feature is also its greatest downfall. It has a steep learning curve and set up to get going. Once you get going, then it becomes easy. VimL is also a pain to learn but then it clicks after a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have been programming for a while, then I would recommend taking the vim dive. It can be a steep curve so it's best to get some practice. When you feel like giving up, ask for help. There is so many people that you can ask for help.

The ease of use is scale of "painful" at first but as you get going and customized to your needs, then it becomes delightful.

When I need an editor, I can always count on vim to do what I need it to do. It has given me the least of amount of trouble and is always installed on our servers when I need to view things or modify something on the fly.

Vim review by Jim Ryan Z.
Jim Ryan Z.

"Most lightweight editor"

What do you like best?

What I like about Vim is that it's very lightweight and very customisable because of it's plugins. It also has support for code highlighting for various languages, skins and themes if you are into customisation. And because it is lightweight, it consumes just a little bit of your memory. THere's a ton of plugins that you can use that could be provided with by plugin bundlers like Vundle and the others.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about is the learning curve you need to have it work for daily use, there's a ton of shortcuts to memorize and be familiar with in order to use it with comfort. Vanilla VIM is also something you don't want to stick to since it's very bland and not that user friendly, you really need to customize it to your liking in order to get the best out of vim.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider it if you want to have a lightweight editor that you won't even need a mouse that much to use it. It's really great for web development stuff.

I use Vim as my primary editor at work as a Ruby on Rails and Javascript developer. It's syntax is just right to not use it with any IDE unlike other languages. The use of the mouse is one thing I've noticed significantly, I haven't used it that much because of the keyboard shortcuts used by Vim. It's also kind of cool to use an editor right in the terminal in my opinion, I mostly work with the terminal and just having it right there makes it's seamless for me to switch between different kinds of work.

Vim review by Rakesh K.
Rakesh K.

"Vim review"

What do you like best?

Vim is a great text editor for linux. The shorthands makes it extremely useful to navigates, search, edit, copy, replace, paste, etc. Unlike a normal editor, we get to focus more time on the content rather than editing the code.

What do you dislike?

No automatic code correction or compiler unlike intellij or eclipse. If they could include suggestions or error handling suggestions, vim would be the top editor.

It would be great if they can support atleast major languages like C, C++, Java, Python with different color codes for variables, keywords, etc..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Must know for any linux user. Coding with vim will help you rather than the auto-completion editors.

Most of the company code I write is in vim. Source control like git is well integrated with vim and hence it is a top choice for most of the code I write. It is a must know for all linux users to realise the efficiency of linux.

Vim review by Greg G.
Greg G.

"Vim is a tool you should know, but I don't think it's a tool I'd choose to use"

What do you like best?

It's installed everywhere there is a terminal. Great for working on computers that you don't have an environment for development set up on.

What do you dislike?

It is not as easy to use as a text editor or IDE. As someone who frequently makes typos, VIM is great when I need it, but not great otherwise. It's like coding with a pen and paper, to some degree. No autocomplete, no indentation help, no nothing. You should still learn it, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn it - you'll use it if you're in the Software Dev field. I'd recommend using a text editor otherwise, though.

Coding on machines that I do not have my own environment on or making VERY fast edits to different files.

Vim review by Trevor L.
Trevor L.

"It's Not As Scary As You Think"

What do you like best?

The biggest thing vim has over nano (and other CLI text editors I've used) is its lack of persistent control / nav bar. You have the entire terminal window at your disposal for editing, which I really appreciate. The common bash on vim is not knowing its commands, but once you learn how to enter INSERT mode, save, and quit, what else do you really need?

What do you dislike?

The obvious answer is the learning curve. Vim has a ton of stuff that I never use, that is practically impossible to discover yourself without extensive research. Considering the "How to exit VIM" question on Stackoverflow is apparently one of the most frequently viewed questions on the site is saying something about discoverability. (Hint, it's ' : ' to enter command mode, and q to quit)

Recommendations to others considering the product

The most important commands to learn are how to change modes, and how to quit with / without saving. There are of course tons of other features of VIM (there's a reason it's been around for over 2 decades), and you can look those up as you need them, but out of the box, the ease and simplicity of just opening a file, editing it, saving and quitting is way smoother with vim than any other CLI text editor I've used before.

I use Vim as an easy way to quickly edit files on a VPS. Plaintext files like env, conf, and plist files can quickly be edited without the need for git or FTP.

Vim review by Ivan R.
Ivan R.

"Simple and fast"

What do you like best?

When you get used to use VIM as main IDE you move around the code much fast, you edit the code much faster, I tried to go back to other IDEs but I couldn't´t found the shortcuts and the well done way to interact with the code as VIM has.

What do you dislike?

Copy past outside vim is always a problem, there are some ways to fix this, but it doesn't came as default. Search is not always the best, but with some tweaks you can make it much faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ramp up is really hard at the beginning, but after 1 or 2 month working with it everyday, you will start feel the advantages from it. After 4 or 5 month using it, you will love it!. Then you will realice that you can configure more and more VIM, so you will have your own vimrc file, with some plugings, some macro, same new key maps. You are now a Vim users, and you are not going to able to use another IDE again.

Productivity, I´m much more productive using this IDE. First at all, you have less distraction on the screen, you work ALWAYS in the terminal which is great, I don´t have to switch between apps when I have to do something, I have everything in the terminal which make my work much faster and organized. I can add macro to everything that I use often which follow the VIM ideology, that write less do more.

Vim review by George Y.
George Y.

"I use Vim everywhere on multiple operating systems"

What do you like best?

This is the text editor I use the most because there is an implementation of it on all the operating systems that I use. I use Vim and the same familiar editing commands whether I am working on Windows, MSDOS, Unix, Linux, OpenVMS, or even an Android tablet.

What do you dislike?

Vim stands for "vi Improved" and there are many advanced commands that I should learn to use, but haven't. It is a bit of a steep learning curve when just getting started using Vim, but I have found that just the knowing the basic editing commands are all I need to edit any text file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a free text editor that is available on multiple computing environments from Raspberry Pi to large supercomputers.

My job position requires me to work on a diverse set of computing environments, and I'm glad that the Vim text editor can be used on all of them without me having learn a different text editor for each environment.

Vim review by Awanish K.
Awanish K.

"Vim is among the best editors for developers"

What do you like best?

Vim has loads of features and customization tools for editing. Autocompletion, search, looking up the definition of a function (using tag file), multiple tabs, string replacement, smart indenting, keyword colours are the primary ones I use almost every day. Not to forget, vim has a good documentation to lookup when in doubt. On UNIX, it even allows seeing the man pages of functions we are using. Having multple modes like editing, command and visual are all good.

Editing huge files is supported by few editors and Vim is among them. I have used it to work with data file in a few Gigabytes.

What do you dislike?

The only issue with Vim is that the customization is all using the scripts and hence there is a learning curve involved. But once someone learns it, it becomes easy. There are lots of scripts already available on various websites, but probably there could be some direct links to youtube videos channels could be helpful. When most of the products have easy to use interfaces, being scripting only can be a restrictive proposition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Among the best code editors available around, a must try. If the file to be edited is huge, there are just a few editors to support and Vim can become handly in those cases.

Faster coding is the primary benefit I get by using Vim. Along with other utilities like ctags, grep, sed Vim becomes a formidable tool. Autosaving is quite useful as it always keeps a backup of the previous opened version.

Vim review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Always on the Keyboard"

What do you like best?

Vim is a great terminal based text editor. Though it has a bit of a steep learning curve for beginners, it has a lot of useful features once you learn it. The best trick about vim that I like (and probably wouldn't use without) is holding Alt with my thumb to use normal mode without hitting escape. I edit most of my small projects using Vim since it's fast and I can move around, modify, delete, search, and move things without ever leaving home row.

What do you dislike?

I was going to say I wish Vim had auto-completion or spell check, but there are plugins for both (spell check is actually built in but needs to be enabled).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start using it. It might be painful at first but it's great once you get it down.

Vim is great for scripting and small projects, and especially useful when you SSH. If you want to make it better for larger projects, you'll have to install some plugins for it. Without those plugins, I wouldn't use Vim for any medium or larger projects or large files since large scale navigation is not one of Vim's strong points (by default).

Vim review by User

"Great text editor "

What do you like best?

Vim is very easy to use, and provides the user with many options to customize their user experience. There are many editor commands that allow the user to easily navigate through their document. It is also an extremely lightweight editor, ensuring that the user does not experience lag when viewing or editing their document.

What do you dislike?

Vim is hard to learn and get used to. The traditional vim editor does not allow the user to use their mouse to navigate through their document. However, this can be customized. If the user becomes comfortable navigating through the document without using a mouse, it can be faster than using a mouse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim has a steep learning curve, but is a great editor, and is worth the effort it takes to become familiarized with this editor.

Vim allows me to easily view and edit documents in terminal without opening up an external editor. I am able to develop code efficiently using this product. Because Vim is so lightweight, I don't need to worry about lag when viewing or editing my documents, or about the IDE crashing and losing my progress.

Vim review by Luca G.
Luca G.

"Best multi-purpose editor"

What do you like best?

- Multi-purpose. It's not limited to one programming language, it can handle it all.

- Multi-platform. I use it both on Linux and Mac OS

- Works great remotely. No need to set remote disk bindings, I use vim through an ssh connection.

- Vim is highly customizable, either by programming in vimscript or using plugins (see Vundle plugin manager).

What do you dislike?

- Performance is not great. It'd be great if vim was upgrade to make use of multi-processing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. Check out VIM plugins and the Vundle plugin manager.

2. Give VIM some time, the learning curve is very steep unfortunately, but you'll be so productive, it's unrealistic.

3. Vimgolf can help with the learning curve.

4. Every now and then, take the time to learn something new about vim. Updating your workflow will pay back.

- Vim is my first and unique text editor for anything, ranging from Python, Java, SQL, simple text files.

- After the initial steep learning curve, my productivity got drastically enhanced.

Vim review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="1c558c69-f8ab-46ca-b147-0db12c4b918e">Alba Samantha C.</span>
Alba Samantha C.
" itemprop="name" />

"Best editor for Linux Admin"

What do you like best?

What I like most is the amount of features it has, you can make complex edits with this editor. Allows you to use several shortcuts for editing.

Another advantage is the amount of documentation, the community is quite broad, it is an editor available for any Unix-based OS (AIX, HP-UX), Linux (Debian, RHEL, Open Suse), etc.

What do you dislike?

For novice users the learning curve is quite slow, it can be difficult at the beginning, because it's a different editor than the commons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim is an editor that at first may seem difficult to use, but with practice and constant use you can see that it is a very useful tool for editing with features that are not available in any editor.

It is the best editor I recommend for those who are in the world of server administration.

I use it constantly in my work in the administration of servers, to edit configuration files, scripts, etc., in the servers that I manage. I constantly use the search tool, replacing text using Regex.

I also used it on my personal machine for configuring the applications that I have to install, bash editing, etc.

Vim review by Josh T.
Josh T.

"An editor that's complex at first, but can very quickly be an integral part of your workflow"

What do you like best?

I like how efficient it is to use, once you've learnt the basics and more advanced features you will find that your writing code and using the shortcuts all become second nature. You gain a lot of efficiency from using all the shortcuts though, so they are well worth taking the time to learn.

It is also by far the most customisable editor that I have used. You can literally change everything, my favourite thing to customise is setting up keymaps that can perform multiple key press with just one.

What do you dislike?

It is a very daunting prospect opening up vim for the first time. You will struggle at first and it takes a lot of getting used to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time learning everything first. I recommend watching the Vim series on laracasts.com. That helped me set everything up.

I do the majority of my code editing with vim, it is great as it's available to be used over SSH.

Vim review by Jon J.
Jon J.

"A powerful but complex editor"

What do you like best?

VIM is a ubiquitous, lightweight, and immensely powerful editor. Just about every non-Windows environment will have VIM installed (and the Windows gVIM version is a quick free download). Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, VIM allows you to navigate, search, and manipulate files more efficiently than any other editor. It's also highly configurable and has a huge collection of useful plugins.

What do you dislike?

While not necessarily a criticism, the learning curve for VIM is steep. Until learning a good portion of the commands, using VIM will likely slow you down. However, once you get up to speed it gives you more control than any other editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thoroughly read a good tutorial (I recommend Daniel Miessler's) before trying to use it as your primary editor. Spending some time learning the commands upfront will prevent a lot of frustration.

VIM is my go-to editor when I need access to an editor from a terminal window. I use it regularly to edit files on a remote server.

Vim review by Prayash M.
Prayash M.

"It's gets better with time. Built because we read more often that we write code"

What do you like best?

The shortcuts for everything and then they also configurable. You can add more according to your need. The coding community helps a lot with lot of plugins and scripts to just do about anything you want to. I was really sold on the idea that it let's you hack together your own IDE than just using one everyone else uses.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve. It is steep. If you just try to mug up all those shortcuts, it is going to be very difficult to work with the code. Found some easy vim talks which explained that how closely vim commands are related to what exactly they do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim can be intimidating with the steep learning curve, but don't worry. You can use it howsoever you please. They are lot of plugins, use them. Remember, all the commands mean something, they relate to the action they perform.

I read, edit and write code with this tool.

Vim review by Sky L.
Sky L.

"Everything you need, and more!"

What do you like best?

Flexible, extendible and ubiquitous in Linux. Vim has all the bells and whistles of other IDE's and can be configured to be a truly powerful code editor. Once tweaked to your preferences it is a joy to work with and because it's available on most Linux systems it helps do know how to use the tool effectively.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is a bit steep, pasting can be a pain until configured properly. It's also really hard to escape... I have been using it so long now that get frustrated using any other editor that maps keys differently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It's the best thing ever.

As a Linux Engineer I have used Vim on a daily basis for years. Even though I don't find myself editing files on systems very often anymore (what with configuration management systems and all), I still use Vim for all my coding in Shell, Python, Ruby, etc...

Vim review by Andrew H.
Andrew H.

"A no frills text editor that is easily accessbile from the terminal"

What do you like best?

I like the key bindings that allow for quick and efficient manipulation of my code. I find it very convenient that you can use vim to easily read and modify files without leaving the terminal.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve to learn the keybindings. It will take some practice if a user is unfamiliar with using the keyboard to navigate their code instead of the mouse. Finding the best configuration and plugins for a workflow can be daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of choices for code editors, Vim is one of the most lightweight and easily accessible. With the correct plugins and configuration, Vim is competitive against even IDE's.

I use vim daily for code development and code reviews. The real benefit for me is that it allows a simple interface to my code that is not prone to crashing or using up system resources like some of the full fledged IDE's on the market.

Vim review by Noah H.
Noah H.

"Speed, extensibility and accessibility at its finest."

What do you like best?

Vim is available cross platform and cross protocol, so whether accessing through a GUI or over SSH, Vim provides the same stellar experience. Installing Vim plugins is a breeze and customizing the look and function of one's Vim installation takes one as far as one wishes to go.

What do you dislike?

Vim does have a steep learning curve and active Googling will be required for a while. Vanilla Vim is also bland and lacking critical features that would be pleasant if they came bundled. Luckily, plugins can take care of all of these needs or a quick addition to one's config file, but for a new user, this may be very off putting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you are past the initial learning experience, you will greatly appreciate the massive speed increases and robust community support. If vanilla Vim doesn't provide all the features you need, you can almost certainly find a plugin which will fulfill that requirement. If one isn't working with coding languages though, but rather markup (e.g. HTML) or other data formats, Vim may not be the best option and a tool such as Visual Studio Code or another may suit your workflow the best.

Vim enables rapid development in a heavily self-customized environment while ensuring all team members can rapidly resolve issues on a server or locally. It also is inherently productive and fast, so coding and debugging are greatly improved. It also works very well with tools like tmux making it a perfect editor for virtually any team that has to deal with servers in some capacity.

Vim review by Sam B.
Sam B.

"Worth the learning curve"

What do you like best?

I started using vim about 5 years ago. I made a commitment to learn the basics, and have been growing that knowledge over time. I can type code in vim faster than people who are much faster typists than me in other editors. Staying on the keyboard is the key to efficiency.

What do you dislike?

Really only that I haven't learned it all yet. I know there is more power in vim than I currently leverage, but I haven't taken the time to commit it all to muscle memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totally worth the effort to learn. And it can boost your feeling of self-superiority :)

I build and maintain software. vim is my friend on my local Ubuntu machine, my home OSX machine, and on our remote servers that run our code. one environment everywhere.

Vim review by Suman R.
Suman R.

"Best coding editor I have seen till now"

What do you like best?

I prefer using VIM as my default text editor because it is very lightweight although I have added many external plugins in it. It provides easy navigation in the code and replacing the existing code. It works with major languages such as Python and Javascript, which I use the most in my coding for providing the syntax highlighter to correct the errors. It also has very fast access without requiring the mouse when compared to ATOM. Connection through SSH is excellent for remote systems. It is an open source text editor and has a large user community backing it up.

What do you dislike?

It lacks somewhere in the color-coding for programming text and requires extensive settings for that. In order to use it in the most effective way, one has to know the shortcuts and other commands well before using it, so it will definitely take some time to become an expert in using VIM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have a light weight Code editor, then VIM is an excellent option. Before started jumping on directly on using it, spend some time on its tutorial program to get familiar with its shortcuts and other commands.

I use VIM for writing my test cases and editing the existing code and it saves a lot of time by using the shortcuts available in VIM. It is quite convenient for me when it comes to searching for folders and directories for source code files using VIM. I work on Client’s remote systems to modify the existing code with the help of VIM editor.

Vim review by Miguel M.
Miguel M.

"Vim is an easy and efficient way to review and modify code"

What do you like best?

It is very quick and low resources consuming piece of software. It represent clearly all the text that I need to review and also a quick shortcut to modify code.

What do you dislike?

It has a steep learning curve in order to fully take benefit of all its features. A novice user can find it complicated but when you start learning all the usual shortcuts you can edit quickly code and also plain text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend VIM to encrypt files. It is very easy to apply encrypt functions via the command line interface which is very useful if there is only remote access to some machine through SSH and such.

I am trying to automate several process in my day to day work. Some times I use it to modify plain text, it does not need to open in a graphical user interfac (GUI) mode.

Vim review by James H.
James H.

"Vim is a must know for linux developers"

What do you like best?

It's ready to go on linux and mac. Just paste in your dot file and you're straight up and running with your editor set how you like it. If you've never used it, it's worth learning just for fun, too, because it is such a different way of working with text that you'll be amazed by the features.

What do you dislike?

It needs to come with config package manager for installing and setting up your environments how you like it with a guide, rather than having to spend days researching plugins and settings to build your effective dot net file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn it even if you don't intend to use it in the long term. One day you'll benefit greatly by not having to install any software just to be able to edit files on a server.

It's free, so it saves money. It's quick and easy, so there's less time required to set it up for new users. It's simple so there's no errors and glitches to fix unlike normal software. I've benefited from all three in every job I've had. Most importantly speed, because I hate setting up IDEs and mapped drives.

Vim review by Lokesh Y.
Lokesh Y.

"One of my favorite editors with quality features"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Vim editor is it has got advanced and powerful shortcuts, commands and plugins for editing my code, scripts and batch files.

It provides a small bar in the lower right corner which will let you know the mode you are operating in. I can easily enter a key in my document if I am in insert mode by just hitting the key. While in command mode, hitting a key will execute that command and you don’t need to do any extra efforts for this. Also, switching between the modes is made very easy, as you can just press the Escape key to do so.

What do you dislike?

When I first started using Vim, I was working on a Project related to Object Oriented Programming. I found that it is not suitable for this kind of programming at all as you have to use a lot of external plugins to get what you actually need.

Also, for a new user it is a time consuming task to get used to its GUI and other features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it is provided as a free text editor, I would recommend it to be used at least once and it proves useful for those who works on scripting languages.

I have been using Vim as my text editor for most of my projects as well as an editor for my daily coding tasks. Its syntax highlighter feature allows me to quickly find the error in my code without even compiling it online.

Its download time is extremely quick and you don’t need to wait for a long time for the installation in your machine. So, it would save your time and you can concentrate on more important tasks.

Vim review by Kielse N.
Kielse N.

"Best text editor ever"

What do you like best?

For people that never used before vim will be a bit odd to start, however after start using it they will love. Is a clean editor that you can use to edit conf files or building your codes/scripts. You can search and replace using some really good options and you can split the screen to edit more files at same time. You can configure it to show different color schemes for different file formats.

What do you dislike?

Its hard to find something that I dislike using vim. I use it since I started using Linux many years ago. I also used some other options like emacs, but vim is my preferred text editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start leaning using a tutorial because the start is not that easy. People can be frustrated if just try by themselves because Vim is different. However, after your first steps you will love it.

I change config files for my networking systems like apache, mysql and several others. I fix some small bugs in some softwares.

Vim review by Jorge Eduardo A.
Jorge Eduardo A.

"The most agile of all text editors and IDE's."

What do you like best?

VIM es lean, agile, and best of all, quick as my thinking speed. Yes, using VIM I don't have to memorize commands, just think and write. Better, no mouse, so my speed increases. And as a bonus VIM is highly configurable, so it can be enhanced with abbreviations, plugins and sripts that augment VIM's features beyond a text editor, converting it into a full-fledged IDE. Auto completation, Code Intel, tree views, tabs, highlighting, emmet, themes, and more.

What do you dislike?

VIM is hard to learn, essentially it works in a different way than other text editors. So relax and take time to learn. Make routines and you'll see your own progress, which at the same time is a motivator to go further.

VIM operates in modes, Insert, Visual, Replace and Normal mode are the main and always used modes. So you will have to 'change' modes.

But work daily o VIM and after 6 month you'll feel comfortable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, don't get afraid of starting, VIM is for the rest of your life as programmer. Start, it's different mindset, step learning curve but it pays off after two months.

I need a lean, lightweight IDE, featured to allow me to avoid repetitive and non value tasks.

VIM provides a free, open source, lean, agile, easy to use and low maintenance cost.

I love the fact that VIM can be installed in less than a minute and configured in 15 minutes.

Vim review by Marcel A.
Marcel A.

"Vim Offers Simplicity and Efficiency when I write something."

What do you like best?

One of the best feature of Vim is its actually a modular text editor. You can change/edit the function in every key on your keyboard, so that it can help you type more faster and efficient.

As a Web programmer, I prefer this text editor also because of its simple interface. It doesn't have a lot of button on the side and top of the screen, basically, its more like a blank white page, where you can write anything on it without getting confused or annoyed.

What do you dislike?

Because its a modular text editor, it must have a way to do setting/configuration. Vim doesn't provide you a simple and easy way to do this, instead, Vim gives you.....A blank white space.....where you can write all the function, command, and setting you desire. Its really annoying, because i cannot remember every setting on Vim. So every time I want to set something, let say I want to change font, I need to look the command on internet or their help page (which is really not an easy thing to do).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a text editor which can make you type faster with simple interface, use Vim. I type more faster than my old text editor. As a web programmer, my productivity increase 60% with Vim.

I work as a web programmer. I type a lot everyday, hundreds and thousands words a day and I also see code everyday. Vim offer a simple interface so i can understand what i write in an instant. Besides, Vim also offers a way to change the function of keys on keyboard, so I set all my main function (Copy, paste, delete, enter new line) to the Alphabet keys on keyboard. So every time i want to call those function, my hand is still in typing position. its really helps me on writing code faster and more efficient.

Vim review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Lets you code anywhere"

What do you like best?

Vim can be be pretty much installed anywhere that you could possibly ever code, making it incredibly useful to know. From your personal machine to SSH'ing into a production server, by knowing vim you can modify code wherever you are. Also offers a high level of customization for more advanced users.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about vim, as it serves it's purpose of being a lightweight, flexible text editor pretty well. The only thing I can think of is that there is a higher learning curve in the beginning when compared to something like Sublime

Recommendations to others considering the product

For more advanced users, I highly suggest checking out how to customize Vim to better suit your needs / coding preferences. These additions can make Vim much more useful than it is out of the box, but again requires the user to be fairly comfortable with the editor.

The problem I am solving with Vim is the ability to reliably code anywhere, including on environments outside of my person machine. Vim does a great job of this as it is included by default on many machines, and is easily installed on machines that it is not.

Vim review by Luiz Gonzaga d.
Luiz Gonzaga d.

"Superb text editor"

What do you like best?

What I most like about vim it's its ability and flexibility of customizing keymaps, behaviours, writing plugins. But, most of all, it's their precise text editing mode and movements. For sure its learning curve is steep but soon enough you wish all your software would have a "vim mode" so you can use your beloved vim features outside vim.

What do you dislike?

Indeed Vim have a steep learning curve and it's look and feel are far from modern.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe you'll be an Emacs guy, but certainly try Vim out. Also, have a dotfiles repo configure you vim setup automatically is also a time saver. Just search .vimrc on Github... Plenty of examples...

I'm a software developer for more than 12 years now and vim is still the best text editor I could find so far. I tried many IDE's, they of course have nice features, but at the end of the day what you do is edit text and for that VIM is unbeatable.

Vim review by Christophere J.
Christophere J.

"Best editor in the world!"

What do you like best?

Vim is such a versatile editor! Whether your a ruby developer, php, any type of developer can set up vim to how every you like! The modal editing is so addictive, I could not go back to using the arrow keys or mouse again.

What do you dislike?

The learning ramp seems to be a bit steep, and it really seems to scare a lot of people.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn vim. And I guarantee that you will start being more effecient working on projects and questioning other editors.

It has help me be more effecient when working and if I find my self doing really repetitive tasks I can always script them or make a binding that handles it.

Vim review by User in Industrial Automation
User in Industrial Automation

"Great hackable text editor - a classic!"

What do you like best?

Oh man. I love vim - it's the One True Text Editor. The keybindings and commands make working on software so much easier and faster. I really love extending it and writing code for it as well. It makes for a fun project, and is very customizable.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing to dislike. The worst thing that can be said about this editor is that it's not very modern, but that's intrinsic to it so it's not really a shortcoming. It's simply very hard, in today's software world, to use vim as a daily driver for developing large software systems with lots of dependencies. However, the firs thing I do when getting a new IDE or editor is turn on vim emulation!

It's a great lightweight editor for small projects. I use it a lot for quick prototyping, as well as small school projects.

Vim review by Darma K.
Darma K.

"A must know editor for unix user"

What do you like best?

First thing is Vim is free. Vim provide fast typing and keybinding for my work. In unix filesystem, is default installed vi mode which can be used at terminal / console. So you just need to learn one keybinding. Also vim has portable configuration that can you easily edit.

What do you dislike?

Short UI for web development. I can say using vim for editing HTML is hell for me. Maybe for veteran vim user no. High learning curve for newbie just for typing, but worth the time. In my workplace, for learning vim trainee has given 2 weeks to get used with the keybindings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like an powerful editor which make you typing so fast, but has high learning cuve. Vim is good. Vim has been around internet since 1991, got a lot of reputation an user base. An extensible, and easy plugin to install.

Fast typing of keybindings are really helpfull. Other that that, vim can run on console which mean i can do some ftp / ssh work.

Vim review by Grant A.
Grant A.

"The ultimate text editor, if you dedicate the time to learn it"

What do you like best?

Love it or hate it, there really is no middle ground with Vim. It has a very steep learning curve and really relies of constant and dedicated use to become proficient in it. The point of Vim is to provide a text editor that minimizes the amount of movement your hands have to do so that you can work faster. And speed is Vim's strongest feature, once you get used to it.

Vim is also extendable and has a HUGE amount of available plugins that can customize your vim to function just as well as your full featured IDE like Eclipse or Sublime Text. The amount of configuration is staggering and there's even a port of Eclipse that can be used within Vim (called Eclim).

Vim is free and can be used in pretty much any Linux distro, so is essential if you want to ssh into remote environments.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to learn, and even after 2 years of using I'm still having to look up some commands. Unless you're ultra dedicated to learning new and interesting key commands your progress in using Vim will eventually plateau and you won't get any faster. Also, because it's open source, plugins can be both good and bad. Sometimes there is excellent documentation, and sometimes there's not, forcing you to look in the source code to find out how to do something. This can be both good and bad, depending on your level of curiosity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a programmer, learn Vim. There's nothing else to it. You need to know how to use it, even if it's just a basic understanding of moving around, inserting text and saving and quitting, your life will be so much better for it.

Remote server administration, faster coding.

Vim review by Rammy K.
Rammy K.

"Moderate learning curve with very high payoffs"

What do you like best?

Vim is a mode based editor for quickly and very efficiently marking up code. Expandable via plugins you'll find the default version, installed on most Linux systems (also available on Windows and Mac OS), already quite feature rich. The Vim name comes from the fact that it is an ancestor of vi (the well formed Unix editor) and the 'm' represents that it is "Visually IMproved": in its default setting Vim automatically colors your code according to syntax which makes reading what you're opening, or writing for the first time, very enjoyable. If you're ever looking at a file which is not color highlighted simply press ESC (this takes you to command mode) and then type, ":syntax on" sans the quotation marks ENTER. Colors and other settings are all highly customizable and may be stored in a .vimrc file. Google: how to use Vim & Vim Cheatsheet (which you should print out and hang next to your display for easy reference) and let the fun begin!

What do you dislike?

Vim is a mode based editor which means that keyboard input produces different behavior depending upon which mode you're in. At first this can seem annoying but once you've trained your brain, it is actually speedily efficient! When you first enter into Vim press the letter 'i' (for INSERT) to go from command to edit mode and then type away. To save and exit press ESC Shift+ZZ.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim is well matured, widely available, and almost universally accepted by serious programmers everywhere.

If you are new to Vim I highly recommend you start with Cream which overlays all the conventional keyboard shortcuts and provides a drop-down menu system so that you'll be able to do common tasks such as copy/paste from other windows into your Vim opened document using the shortcuts you're already familiar with. Cream (for Vim) is available via http://cream.sourceforge.net/

I've written entire installation automation kits and heavy-duty data processing scripts in Vim.

Vim review by Hannah W.
Hannah W.

"Steep learning curve, but well worth the time"

What do you like best?

Vim has an incredibly powerful plugin system, and every plugin you never knew you needed probably already exist. Due to the terminal interface, Vim can be customised by just editing your .vimrc, which can also be used to add command line functionality.

I have never found anything quite as good as vim's %s (string replace) functionality, regex replace is a lifesaver in many situations, and not something that many other text editors have.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is *very* steep - there's a joke that ^C^C^C^Z^Z is a common sequence for new vim users trying to exit the editor to type, and it holds true. It does take a while to get to grips with the new way of working, using commands instead of GUI interfaces.

It also has some weird paste behaviour, sometimes pasting at your (GUI) cursor, sometimes pasting at your text-cursor, but that's just a minor nag.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a text editor, and not an operating system masquerading as an editor (looking at you, EMACS), vim is for you.

I was solving my lack of a suitable all-purpose text editor - NANO is nice and all, but it's just not powerful enough for programming or power user-type stuff. Hence, I went to vim, and after the aforementioned learning curve drastically sped up my development time.

Vim review by Swadesh S.
Swadesh S.

"No nonsense text editor for linux"

What do you like best?

Fully extensible with plugins, fast, in-console text editor. Syntax highlighting for every languages/code i have written, auto completion. Did I mention fast? A plethora of key-bindings and more custom ones can be created, actually more than one can remember. One package that is worth mentioning is vundle, a package manage for vim itself. Split editing, be it vertically or horizontally. And all this from the : prompt. When you lay your hands on a low end linux box, you start to appreciate the elegance of vim.

What do you dislike?

Anyone coming form a gui text editor will have to learn a lot, actually, the learning curve is so steep that most don't finish the process and call it quits. There are new packages being released every day, it seems impossible to keep up. There is no definitive guide to best text editing using vim, for veterans, it all comes down to personal choices at the end. Well, there are guides claiming the best editing practices but I have found myself to be counterproductive when simply following their guide. So, it takes sometime before you build your habit and a set of packages that you absolutely need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid of vim, learning vim completely requires you to read some of the books available online/amazon and that's only base vim. Then there are the plugins you install and their usage. So, forget about all that, learn what you think you need, google your requirement. Nobody is asking you if you know vim (unless you sit for interviews), it's yours to use, if you like something, embrace it.

For security purpose, our office uses RHEL but the central systems run windows 7 enterprise. If I need to deploy something on the user systems, I first need to test it and I do that on ubuntu-gnome (personal pref) running inside vmware. That guest system ends up being quite slow to actually type into in a 'modern' editor without tearing my hair out. This is where vim comes.

Vim review by Glenn J.
Glenn J.

"If you like vi, this is the editor for you."

What do you like best?

I have been using vi since the early 1980's and really liked it. When I found vim I was so happy because I could finally do the things I used to do in Unix on a Windows machine

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the editor could be started by using the program name, vi, instead of vim. :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you liked to use vi from Unix or Linux and want the same experience on Windows, this is the editor for you.

Since this is a text editor it doesn't really solve any business problems. I find that since I am so used to using this editor style, I am just more comfortable using it.

Vim review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"The One True Editor"

What do you like best?

Limitless configuration options, incredible plugin community. The editor modes make browsing & sniping text automatic and extremely fast.

The learning curve ensures there is always something waiting to surprise you.

Recent competition in the form of Neovim has pushed features to the next level, we now have asynchronous plugins, an embedded terminal.

As long as plugins are configured properly etc, it is blazingly fast.

What do you dislike?

Not able to give it the "full project intelligence" of Intellij/Webstorm. Can be difficult to identify performance problems.

VimL is horrible.

Editing text.

Vim review by Shiva S.
Shiva S.

"Vim - Simple, Powerful and Classical text Editor"

What do you like best?

- Free, Open source and best vi editor for Linux.

- Vim is popular among developers. We can built add-ons or plugins using vim to control many other software and programming tool.

- Vim is completely based on keyboard commands where each one is distinguished by using keys like alternate, command or control.

- Special feature of vim includes completion, comparison, merging of files, also extended to regular expressions, support of plugins.

- If we keep on practicing with the shortcuts of vim editor, we will become a true programmer.

- It is readily available on all platforms (LINUX, Debian, BSD, Windows).

- Vim is popularly known as developers shortcut.

What do you dislike?

- Vim editing commands are not easy to learn.

- It consumes large amount of time to be a master, by the time which we may lose our interest in Vim editor.

- If you are beginner, It demands a lot of practice.

- You have to learn the command grammar and train your muscle memory over time.

- Since it is a old editor the recent graduates have no idea about vim.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- If you wanted to be a programmer, Vim is the first step.

- Being a Computer science student, I started using vim recently. Within a short span of time I have addicted to Vim and its been my default editor far all my projects, temporary files and my internship work.

- Benefits: More you learn, More you explore. Ease our workflow, recipe for a conserved programmer.

Vim review by John R.
John R.

"A wonderful tool that even after decades since it was created remains one of the favorite editors"

What do you like best?

If you have ever had to ssh into a unix server, you will probably have been faced with the necessity of editing some files. At this point some people choose simple editors, which are fine for minimal changes, but there is an almost ubiquitous alternative, vi.

Vim is the successor of vi, so you will be able to find it almost anywhere. It runs on iOS, Windows, Mac OS X, Unix systems, pretty much everywhere. I like investing time into a tool that I will be able to use almost everywhere.

Even most IDEs offer a vi-bindings plugin, including Qt Creator, Visual Studio, IntelliJ Idea, to name a few. The ease and speed with which I can edit code truly makes using vi a wonderful investment.

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of minor issues while using Gvim on Windows, but they are easily dealt with. For instance, line-ending differ from one operating system to the other, but having some special settings in the .vimrc file takes care of this problem.

One other issue is that even though IDEs try their best to provide vim bindings with the corresponding plugin, there are always issues, since they have default bindings that collide with some useful vi commands, for instance Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V. This makes you have to choose which bindings to keep, for many different configurations which is a bit painful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having a modal editor is a different paradigm. The easiest way to get good at it is just to use it and run vimtutor. I recently introduced an old coworker to it and he was able to appreciate the benefits of it within a week of starting to use it.

Also, perhaps switch the Caps Lock key with the Escape key.

Enhanced productivity and less wrist pain. Both of these I find huge benefits in the long run, although it might be hard to justify the time it takes the average user to get "good enough" at using Vim.

Vim review by Agency in Entertainment
Agency in Entertainment

"Fast for touch typers"

What do you like best?

Vim allows you to edit text at high speed due to muscle memory. This means you don't have to lose your flow when coding. It is also universally available on all Linux/Unix systems.

What do you dislike?

Vim has a very steep learning curve. In fact, over 1.5 million people have gone to Stack Overflow just to find out how to quit Vim! There is also the need to setup plugins if you need more than just a minimalist text editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to put in time and effort to master Vim. It's gonna be worth it in the long run!

Vim is universally available on almost all servers and OSes. This has allowed our team to solve problems quickly with minimal setup time. It is also one of the "standard" editors in the developer/ops community and hence allows us to share plugins and configurations easily.

"For the Hardcore"

What do you like best?

I like that you do not have to take your hands off of the keyboard. Vim has so many shortcuts and the ability to record macros to build the most efficient and customizable workflow that you can manage. When you understand Vim it gives you additional confidence to be able to use any unix machine. You can also add plugins to extend it or even import your own settings onto any machine remotely.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is steep. You need to be a great typer and understand the logic that makes Vim magical. I think of it as another language. The way that you have to think about your movement and editing can limit your code output at first. You must always know what state that you are in.

I am trying to become a better programmer and when using git you end up in Vim. I think that it is important to understand all of the environments that you work in to make sure that you can operate efficiently.

Vim review by Lucas G.
Lucas G.

"Fast, simple (when you learn it) and lightweight"

What do you like best?

Super easy and fast shorcuts that you can also compond/mix them in order to create other ones.

Vimrc possibility with lots! of customization to change almost everything. It's really good for programmers that like constant learning. or if you like scripting.

Huge amount of really good plugins to make something like a simple vi editor more like a sublime one.

Terminal mode.

Really lightweight editor, even when you add a considerable ammount of plugins to it. And when you compare it against other editor like Sublime or Atom.

What do you dislike?

The code is kinda messy and the vim script language is not that good.

There a huge learning curve at first. Not exactly because of the shortcuts be the amount of customization you need to do in order to have a professional text editor. You need to read a lot of documentation and dotfiles to finally make your own .vimrc that suits your needs and goes with you.

Yes, there's a lot of plugins... but they are not nearly as well integrated and done as functionality you could find in other modern text editors likes Sublime, Atom or PyCharms. They lack power.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have some of the hacker spirit. Like learning a old but really good editor. Or are a administrations (sysadmin) guy who need to ssh in to servers and make edits (also if you love the terminal). YES! definitively learn vim.

Other options for learning vim may be the reason you don't like to use the mouse which is a good one, but face it we are in a modern age when mouse can be really useful.

Super fast editing of code while developing/programming.

Not having to use the mouse since it kinda slows me down and it annoying.

Vim review by Sai Krishna Kubera G.
Sai Krishna Kubera G.

"Fastest and bes terminal based text editor"

What do you like best?

The only editor with many keyboard shortkuts and can be accessed faster without requirement of mouse. Syntax highlighting for many languages are found. Many extensible plugins can be added easily. Avalable on all known platforms with same accessability and same features. No hanging at all when iam using it. Opening a file or merging is all with terminal commands in ubuntu which is easier and faster to access.

What do you dislike?

It is completely terminal based which is boring sometimes. User interface is fixed. Lots of time required to get used to it as it has many shortkuts and keyborad keys. Many new programmers should know about this software as it is best for them but there is no much popurality as i guess.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Passioned programmers and beginners can easily use this with great keyboard shortkuts. Fast programmers should use this as it is fastest for any one to use.

As a Progammer i used many old text editors which made my work tough to proceed. Many programs in different languges has its own syntax highlighting helped me alot to understand easily and work effeciently.

Vim review by Siddartha l.
Siddartha l.

"Editor using just keyboard"

What do you like best?

All the functionalities of a eiditor can be done withing keyboard itsled which is morefaster considering the usage of both mouse and kayboard. Fully syntax highlighted for many known languages are found which makes the code to look clean and better. It is free and open source as well. There many other new features inclusive of same old text editor features as well.

What do you dislike?

Lots of keyboard shortcuts to be learned which makes difficult for a beginner to use and user directly shifts to some other good UI based text editor. But later we find this as the best editor. Text editing within the terminal makes some time space shortage which is bit irritating to a fast programmer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any programmer who is willing to make things in a faster pace can use this which is free of cost and can be installed in terminal itslef.

As a computer engineer i normally use many code in different languages and edit them frequently. As time complextity is what matters to programmer we reuire everything to be done faster which VIM does it for us.

Vim review by Josh M.
Josh M.

"Powerful command line text editor"

What do you like best?

I use Vim for everything from taking notes to full scale development. Using Vim feels so natural and fast. After learning how to use the various modes and commands Vim is now the quickest text editor I have ever used. Another great feature is that it works just perfectly via ssh or other remote connections, while still offering the power of a full fledged text editor. This is especially useful if you are developing and need to get into your server and verify or make a quick change, you can use the same editor you use on your machine so you can be just as quick and efficient. Finally I love that there are so many great plug-ins for Vim, You don't really need any to enjoy using it, but they really make it much more powerful. A few examples are, git integration, code completion, syntax and error checking, and many many more. Oh and one last final note, VIm works on Linux, Windows, and OS X. I really can't say enough good things about Vim, just try it!

What do you dislike?

The only problem I have with Vim is the learning curve. It takes a fair amount of effort to become proficient at using Vim, but the payout it definitely worth it. I use this as a dislike because I have referred many colleagues to use Vim and they get started and get frustrated with learning it and quit using it. It really isn't that bad to learn and you will end up loving it if you give it a worthy effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient and take a couple hours to learn it well. There is a vim-tutor program that comes with it that helps a ton. Don't get frustrated because the eventual payout is worth way more than the time you invest learning how to use Vim.

I am an aspiring security professional so the problems I'm involved in solving vary greatly. I have used Vim in every aspect of my career though. From Simply taking notes, to developing in c and python, to reverse engineering. I can't imagine a more useful or versatile tool for the jobs.

Vim review by Caio C.
Caio C.

"An great tool to edit code and "

What do you like best?

The macros and motions, vim has a good documentation about mappings keys too. This will let you excited!

What do you dislike?

The viml, (used to create vim plugins), the viml is poor of features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need to learning about motions and macros basically. This features increasing the mouse-less and increase your speed to type some code. Vim have syntax highlight and I have created a good theme for. Just you need to use vim is a simple terminal or terminal emulator. Vim is extremely highlighting, so you don't need to spend a lot of memory to use it. Please considering to search about vim on google, you will see a lot of people and great community of vim talking about it. Vim is free!

All of my projects I have used vim. I can customizing highly the editor and use it in an specific project.

Vim review by Rebecca S.
Rebecca S.

"A nice little terminal text editor"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of Vim is its convenience. When typing into the terminal, it's a simple built-in command to bring up the Vim editor on any text file. There are other editors in this category, such as emacs, but Vim is lighter-weight than Emacs and does not autosave old versions of files. When emacs autosaves old versions of files, it can be annoying because of the need to manually delete them. Vim is a mainstream text editor used by the Ruby community and the shared experience with other developers also draws me to Vim.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Vim comes from its lightweightness. Firstly, I prefer GUI-based text editors to move around longer files. Vim also lacks features such as autocomplete of commands and requires special settings to color-code program text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim is a good supplement to a heavier-weight IDE

I tend to use Vim alongside more comprehensive IDEs to make quick little changes to files. When I don't feel like opening up a full-blown IDE, Vim is useful. Vim has saved me time I would otherwise have spent fumbling around files and directories.

Vim also supports a wide variety of languages and I have used Vim for writing code in a number of languages, as well as plain-text documents. It's like having a notepad in your console.

Vim review by Kiran K.
Kiran K.

"Effective text Editor - Vim"

What do you like best?

Vim is a free text editor. It is fully handled by the keyboard using commands. It can be used for writing codes, content writing etc. Auto completion in Vim saves time for editors. Preference can be changed, so that interface looks great. There are many shortcuts available in Vim which makes typing easier. Vim is supported by many platforms (Linux, windows). Plugins can be included which helps in adding extra features.

What do you dislike?

Vim is little difficult to handle for beginners, user must know all commands and shortcuts in order to use effectively. So it takes time to get expert in Vim. Most of the features available in Vim are also available in other text editors. The Interface can be improved so that users feel Vim has user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim is great text editor to use. Spend some time in learning the commands and shortcuts, then it will work for you. If you don't want to learn and need an easy, user friendly text editor then go for others, there are many other similar text editors availbale.

I use Vim daily for writing programs. It is a great text editor, it made my typing really easy. I saved time using shortcuts available in Vim.

Vim review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Vim -- it is everywhere!"

What do you like best?

Vim (Vi iMproved) is fast clean and extensible. This is the current incarnation of the vi editor, that has been a part of unix scene since 1976. Vim has been included with or easily installable on each operating system and environment that I have worked with for the last 20 years and more. It is everywhere. This means that no matter where you go, Vim or another Vi derived editor is there. The same commands, the same modes of operation, therefore, no new learning curve.

When you go to a new computing environment. you can do your work without the trouble of learning a new editor. With vim there no features that you are used to using but are missing on the day you really need it, just because the editor of the day failed to include them--just get your work done. This can be critical for getting your work done, when you are using a remote computer of a web hosting provider that your client selects.

What do you dislike?

That to appeal to the "it must have a GUI crowd", GUI version have appeared that damages the best features of Vim and get in the way of really learning the editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It would not have lasted for 40 years, as the primary editor of developers, programmers, and others if it was not worth the try. It has proven its worth in the field and lasted the test of time for 40 years and still going strong.

It has enhanced productivity by not forcing users to learn another new editor once again, as they move from one OS or environment to another. It is not the only editor that I use, but it is all the same the only one that I have never left behind.

Vim review by Thejdeep G.
Thejdeep G.

"Vim : The best code editor"

What do you like best?

- Vim is free and has a vibrant community

This code editor is open source and is available for free. It also has website and scripts updated constantly by an active community that is backing this project

- Highly Customizable

There are scripts that you can find to do just anything and all of these are available for free. There are scripts to give a folder structure, git plugins and a lot more

- Heavily Portable

All you have to do is to copy the configuration file .vimrc and paste the same into another system that you want to use with the same vim configuration and you are good to go.

What do you dislike?

- You have to use the terminal if you have to use vim

There are times when users prefer a more isolated software, users who prefer not to use the terminal for their text editing needs.

- Only for developers

Designers who code in HTML and CSS might find Vim useless. Only developers benefit from this editor.

- Steep Learning Curve

The huge number of modes that Vim users can be daunting for first time users. Other editors like TextMate and Sublime-Text can be lot more simpler and pleasing to look at.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim is great if you are a developer. The huge number of scripts available can customize your vim for an ultimate developer experience. And also its availability across many Linux distributions only means you don't have to search extensively. It also saves your time, makes you a faster coder /increase your long term productivity .

I, being a developer, work most of the time on the Terminal. Therefore, vim comes of great advantage to edit and test code on the fly without having to leave the premises of the terminal. Since, it is present or available for most Linux distros, it is an added advantage when I am working across servers with different distributions.

Vim review by Jose E.
Jose E.

"A great console text editor."

What do you like best?

It's just the best text editor you can use as a programmer on an Unix-Environment. If you have any Unix-Based system, then you have access to the console, and consequently to vim.

Vim gives you the power, yet the freedom to code on any programming language you want with auto-completetion(with plugins), and much, much more!

Besides, once you have practiced a lot with it, and installed all the plugins you need, you'll work lighting fast. Even without a graphical user interface, you'll work very fast.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how hard to learn is it. The commands are not very intuitive. For instance, to save you have to type: ":w", i understand the 'W' stands for "write", but it's much common for programs to save with just "ctrl-s".

You need to practice a lot in order to be productive with it, and understand all the modes it has(INSERT, NORMAL, and VISUAL).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to use Vim, then google for a guide or the documentation of it. It's pretty difficult to learn all the commands of VIM, and how to install plugins to adapt it for all your needs. Once done that, you're ready to use it!

As a Software and Web Developer, i use multiple Linux Systems(Oracle, Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc), and I always need to write a program or debug one, and VIM is really great for that. Also, Vim come on almost every Linux Distro installed by default.

Vim review by Abhishek R.
Abhishek R.

"best text editor for programmers"

What do you like best?

Vim Is Very customisable & Extensible, it let you type partial names of files, commands, help entries, etc. and searches for them incrementally, on-the-fly. You don't have to type the names entirely from the beginning, it works on telnet and SSH connections, it can be very easily installed on a remote server and can be easily accessed on the client system, this makes it the best text editor in small capacity machines such as raspberry pi etc, especially when the gui required is minimal. Vim's configuration is portable which means we can copy the entire configuration of one system to another the entire configuration is portable. Vim is a good documentation of the code. Scripting, file merge, and a GUI shell are some the best appreciated features, because of the modality the most common commands do not need to be "decorate" with Ctrl- or alt- keys. All of the major navigation and editing functions require only 2 or 3 keys, without the bizarre finger-straining exercises required by EMACS or prowling through menus. Vim for Windows maps most of the standard keys as well, so page up and page down work as expected and if you want them to do something else, you can edit the keybindings file. If you edit a lot of batch files, PERL scripts, if you regularly move between Windows and *nix environments Vim extremely powerful.

What do you dislike?

Vim includes a basic GUI, you might as well be using Notepad. There are too many modes, switching between them is cumbersome. If you primarily write formatted text, Vim is not the best tool for you, It's a very old editor with not much from it predecessor Vi editor. Vim can't natively do most of the Jobs, there are plugins available for everything. A lot of movement is done via arrow keys. Vim is very plain and simple with minimum GUI which makes it very difficult for the users to operate. Vim can only be accessed by the terminal. It limits the functionality of the mouse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend other programmers to Vim as there primary text editor as makes editing code a lot easier and faster on the terminal.

I'm a software engineer, its a very good editor for programming on terminals and very basic machines such as rasp berry pi which doesn't need GUI. Vim saves time lot of work can be done in fewer key strokes, editing code is lot faster and easier than ever, but even so I think I could enjoy not having to use the mouse at all. Utility over SSH connections, VIM is extensible in many ways and one of those ways is VimL/VimScript. Via Vim-scripting and variables in VIM you can basically modify, extend or totally replace standard behavior.

Vim review by Abhi A.
Abhi A.

"The Linux Editor"

What do you like best?

Vi and Vim exists on most of the Unix and Linux platforms. Thus it acts as a universal editor for Linux machines. Moreover it is much faster when compared to any other editors. And it has a pretty active community and the most powerful part is that Vim is scriptable. So one can do great activities using it.

What do you dislike?

The primary disadvantage of Vim is that it takes a long time to learn the software and it would take months to become proficient. Also one cant expect the user interface to be great in Vim. There are too many modes in Vi or Vim. For instance, pressing 'i' goes to insert mode and capital 'I' points to the beginning of the line. Other disadvantages is that we cant use mouse to control the position of the cursor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using other editors and IDE such as Sublime text, Gedit etc. which has more User Interface and with which one can be comfortable, which does not require any skills to learn the software. Also the IDE's comes with a template for different languages which we can make use of.

I use Vim primarily to edit files that do not take much of space and which I have to do it without consuming much of my time. Also Vim serves for a great purpose when I am using ssh.

Vim review by Munendra S.
Munendra S.

"An awesome editor for Unix"

What do you like best?

Vim is based on vi for Unix. Vim is free and open source software with both command line interface and stand-alone GUI. Vim is based on commands to text user interface. Vim is also highly customizable with many available plugins. It has the syntax highlighting feature. Also, good support from open source community. It can be used only through keyboard binding.

What do you dislike?

Vim has steep learning curve for the beginners but after this phase it is one among the best. Code base for vim is not shared fully hence, adding new features and development is cumbersome. Makes other editor usage very difficult. Support for OS other than linux distribution is not good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for console based editors then vim and emacs are the ones. Unlike Emacs, vim has better syntax high-lightening. Vim has steep learning curve but good online support is available. Vim is highly customizable, definitely would increase your productivity.

Using vim as default editor at home. Due to its customization, productivity has been doubled. Vim is really helpful if your work consists of reading large files.

Benefits:

Good online support for Linux distribution

Easily available plug-ins for customization

Regular expression searches

Vim review by Minh N.
Minh N.

"Incredibly awesome weapon that I can never ever get rid of"

What do you like best?

Damn faster, much handier and super powerful! This is the main reason pop out of my head first, let's break it down into smaller ones below.

First, less arm movement. So no more arm movement when we need to switch from the alpha keys to navigation keys (up down, home end ..) and modification keys (delete, backspace, insert ..), all can be done with your hands stick to the main section of the keyboard. We don't even need the mouse to scroll up/down, click, and navigate around. IMHO, tiny movements like that will slow you down a lot in your everyday typing life.

Handy key-strokes, and code-aid features, very friendly to coder. I was familiar with Eclipse and a few other code editors with very useful shortcut keys, and I can say, with a big help from various useful plugins, there's really nothing other editors have but vim doesn't, but NOT vice versa.

Plugins, a ton of it. A cool page to find one is http://vimawesome.com (we also have color theme there), or a classic one at http://www.vim.org/scripts . To be honest, there's a few plugins I find essential (such as NERDTree, Vundle ..) and actually keep thinking they are parts of vim itself. Plugins give vim value-added features, and some can be found in no other editor/ide.

(Finally, as it's too long already) Customizable, and pimp it your self. It's much like Arch Linux, comes initially with just the powerful core working instance, and everything else should be installed, customized based on your own need. So it may not always the best choice for no-i-dont-like-tweaking-anything guys.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, to be honest, but maybe, the learning curve, as it seems to be crazy to get started with vim, as it's different from most of the normal editors.

From what I've seen so far, as I recommended vim to a lot of people, there are only 2 types. The 1st, about 80% of people, will give up right in the first week, and never come back to try it again. The 2nd will never be able to happily code without vim after that damn hard first week. Once your muscles get used to it, you can never leave it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended, especially for new users who haven't found their ideal editors yet. To get started with it, `vimtutor` might help, and after that, you may grab an existing `.vimrc` (vim config) somewhere to see how people use vim in real life; mine could be found at https://github.com/soyelmnd/.swissknife . And as I'm a vim mania always wanna meet vim friends, feel free to drop me an email if you have troubles getting started with this damn cool weapon :-)

Everyday developer life, improve speed and productivity, a lot!

As I did some real-life user testings with vim users, their typing speed in vim is about 1.3x - 1.8x faster than without vim (as tested with Javascript, in vim vs Notepad++, Sublime, Eclipse and Atom). And, it's funny, most of them say no to switching back to non-vim binding.

If I have to switch to another IDE, chances are I'll have to look for a way to enable vim-binding for that IDE (as I did with VRapper for Eclipse, Vimderbar for Brackets, and in Netbean), as typing without vim is a nightmare to me.

Vim review by Christian S.
Christian S.

"Probably the best command line editor out there so far (or one of them). "

What do you like best?

The more you learn with Vim the more apparent its uses and power become. Although there's a steep learning curve it's not impossible to learn with good practised tuition. The way in which it's designed at first may seem counter intuitive but are applied as they are for good reason. Everything is set up to be faster and more efficient than other editors when in the right hands.

It's also an incredibly fast editor straight out of the box not to mention portable and works through a collection of key bindings, motions, modes, commands, sequences, macros, and expressions. Which all come together and are combined to beautiful effect.

The real power of Vim comes from third party plugin support however and is what makes it the great editor people claim it to be. With plugins you can hack and customise Vim to be however you want it to be. Whether that be turning it into a full blown IDE or an important part of a workflow. Plugins are numerous but tend to offer features such as syntax highlighting, syntax checking, navigation, auto-completion, finders, wrappers, colour schemes, etc.

What do you dislike?

Vim has a steep learning curve if you don't put any time into learning how it works. Any notions of how other text editors function won't really help or apply either, as Vim uses its own unique ideas and has a very different take on how to get things done.

The code-base for Vim is well protected and highly prized. Making it hard for development of new features or rewrites to be contributed successfully by the community. This has forced forks such as NeoVim to begin adding new efficiency and improvements separately to the program. If you like Vim as it is though this of course isn't a concern.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to command line text editing (or are tired of GUI editors) there are two main choices out there. GNU Emacs or Vim. Try both of these and see which you prefer, they both have their pluses and minuses. Just remember to have patience and be ready to learn when it comes to VIM. This will pay off in the long term if you do.

Vim is completely open source and therefore free. It's also as mentioned earlier portable (alongside your config) so can be used on any Linux server/OS. The more you learn and add to Vim the more personalised it can become. This means you can include it as part of a workflow or setup to help better carry out tasks or solutions to problems, regardless of how specific and individualised to you or the business they are. it's just a matter of learning and time.

Vim review by Raymond H.
Raymond H.

"My favorite editor for quick changes and single file editing"

What do you like best?

Vim has been my go to editor for many years now. Lately I've started using some more full fledged IDEs for larger projects but Vim remains my editor of choice for single file editing and advanced text editing. While not highly intuitive, it is extremely powerful and quick to use after you get used to it. Regular expression search and replace is very quick and easy as well as block and hex editing. It's also extremely fast and doesn't take a long time to load like IDEs do.

What do you dislike?

It takes a long time to learn enough to even be efficient using Vim. And to truly learn all it has to offer would probably take more than a lifetime. It's also not very good for large projects as there is no easy way of grouping files together that I'm aware of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead and try it a while. Go through a few tutorials to get your hands dirty and do a few regular expression search and replaces if you're familiar with regex. View the ease of opening any file on your computer with the right click menu in Windows or use it in the command line on a unix system and you'll quickly find yourself using it all the time.

I frequently need an editor to re-format a lot of text, and vim gives me that with block editing and regular expression replacements. I also need something that's quick to open from anywhere, and the right click and edit with vim option is great for that.

Vim review by J Jesus A.
J Jesus A.

"Vim has enabled me to write code more efficiently."

What do you like best?

I really like that I don't need to leave my keyboard to move around the text files or between them. It runs on almost any kind of operating system. You can extend its functionality with the plugins available.

What do you dislike?

Vim has a pretty steep learning curve, so it can be very overwhelming to the newcomer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient, it takes the to get a hold on all the bindings. There are awesome books and resources out there.

With Vim, I can keep writing code without having to interrupt my train of thought switching between windows or moving around the mouse.

Vim review by Siôn l.
Siôn l.

"Vim is a fast, efficient and extensible text editor best for power users"

What do you like best?

Vim's unique modal input system makes editing very efficient because you don't need to move your hands from the typing home position to reach for mouse or cursor keys. Editor commands can easily be repeated and chained with various keyboard short-cuts and quantifiers. The editor is also easily extensible using vim's own scripting language, so it can be used to edit practically anything.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult for first-time users to get used to the modal input system and vim does not follow the same conventions as other programmes but following the tutorial supplied with the editor will teach you enough for you start using it for work. It can take years to learn the more complicated vim commands but it's worth it. You'll never be able to learn it all either, because the vim community continuously adds new features through the plugin system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim requires you to configure it to your personal needs before it will be useful for you, so read about configuring it early on. Although it may be difficult at first, once you learn to use it well you will be more efficient than using standard editors that easy to get started with, so don't be disheartened in the beginning; follow the tutorials and read tips on-line.

My daily work is split between researching solutions to problems and editing text files. Having a good editor like vim that lets me edit files very effectively lets me complete high-quality work on time. Newer, popular editors lack support for our proprietary systems but I was easily able to build support into vim using its plugin system.

Vim review by Subhendu M.
Subhendu M.

"A text editor, that also doubles up for a complete dev tool"

What do you like best?

I have a very specific workflow, write/fix code using a text editor, use git for version control, upload to github and test the newly released code using travis. The most important part, however is the text editor. The world I was brought up in did not have fancy editors to do half the job for a coder. Since the beginning, I was a fan of vi and its brothers, the simplistic interface that did not have anything extra, that did not require me to fiddle with mouse. However, vim was something that astounded me. It had the same features of vi, but not the quirks. It still starts in a flash, the insert/command modes are also intact but the additions were mind boggling, It has proper support for navigation keys, syntax highlighting, fully extendable with plugins and split screen support. It is the best text editor to date. For beginners, it also offers a gui mode.

What do you dislike?

This is not a problem with vim itself but more of a problem with my memory. Now, the bundles I use also have some kind of command, vim itself has lots of commands, so many actually that there are books to teach vim. Learning them and remembering becomes a bit problematic down the years. Sometimes gui editors are better with their tool-tips to explain what something does and one click executes it. It still requires a mouse though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You are a mouse kind of guy, you probably will not like it as many of colleagues have shown. However, if you can get past the trouble you think is typing commands to do everything, my friend, jump aboard, you will mark this date in calendar.

It lets me edit code without getting in my way. It lets me make mistakes, which might be detrimental to business but I will never make those mistakes again. There is the git plugin, I can add and commit directly from vim commands, so that is one less step to go through. With modern editors, it feels as if I can't concentrate on the code, there are lots going on around.

Vim review by User in Internet

"DevOps Engineer at Refinery29"

What do you like best?

Vim (or at least vi) is installed by default on nealy every *nix operating system, and is available for Windows. Learn it once, use it anywhere. Also it's configuration and customization system is very complete as it has nearly 25 years of active development and contribution.

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve to use efficiently. From the time I started using Vim, it took a few months of constant use before I felt like interacting with the editor wasn't slowing down my use of the editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just learn it, the benefits of learning such a ubiquitous editor are overwhelming for any user who uses the command line at all. I switched from vim to Sublime text for a while, but switched back because of the benefit of never not having my primary editor available on a machine far outweighed the look and usability of such a heavy handed editor.

I use Vim for editing any and all text files, for taking notes, and sometimes for examining logs, if other command line tools aren't cutting it.

Vim review by E Brent N.
E Brent N.

"Vim for the win!"

What do you like best?

Vim can be as simple or as complex as you need it, but what I like best about vim is that it can be run from anything that has a terminal. I use it from my iPad by remoting in to a remote server and running it from there. It is one of very few REAL full fledged editors that you can run from a sandboxed tablet.

What do you dislike?

The hardest thing about vim is the learning curve required to get to a point where it is useful to you. Vim is not for the weak at heart, nor is it for folks who are not quite technically sound. You really have to be committed to learning it, but once you do you will never look back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are technical and love to tinker/figure things out on your own vim is an excellent choice. Stick with it and you will not regret it. If you aren't very technical or have a hard time with complex software (or software without graphics) I recommend trying out something else like the Atom Editor... but ultimately get more technical and switch to vim when you can because it is truly the best solution out there.

I am a senior software engineer. I have been using vim for only about a year so far (previous editors were TextMate, Sublime, Notepad++, and Eclipse). I love it and haven't looked back since. Vim is very lightweight so I am able to get my work done faster and unhindered. I am able to have multiple windows of code open and available with all the bells and whistles I want (currently for web development I have syntax highlighting, javascript linting, and git integration all built in).

To fully realized the full potential of vim I use it hand in hand with tmux. This allows me to have server and front end code open at the same time and other things like build processes, etc. And like I said, all of this runs very thinly so you don't have a lot of memory/CPU killing your machine (or the remote machine if you are using from a distance).

Vim review by Gabriel F.
Gabriel F.

"A great tool for any programmer"

What do you like best?

Vim's integration with the terminal and ability to quickly and efficiently edit any file on the spot, without having to leave the terminal, open the file in another application, edit it and overwrite it. Vim isn't the easiest text editor out there, I would even say its learning curve is somewhat steep. Nevertheless, after learning its ropes, your productivity will be greatly increased.

What do you dislike?

Vim's commands and shortcuts aren't very intuitive at first and require some time to master.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend looking into Vim's documentation before trying to use it since unless you know its shortcuts and commands, you'll probably have a bad experience. On the other hand, if you know them, you'll see how powerful of a tool Vim is.

While developing applications in different programming languages over distributed systems and the web, I spend a great deal of time on UNIX based terminals. Being edit all kinds of files on the spot, without leaving the terminal, has greatly improved my productivity as a developer.

Vim review by Daniel A.
Daniel A.

"I just love Vim!"

What do you like best?

Once you get the grasp of this tool, it will be a great boost to your productivity. If I ever have to use any other text editor or IDE for some reason, the first thing I want to do is activate Vim mode. It has a passionate community around it which makes it easy to extend the bare-bones tool with vim plugins. The best thing about Vim is you can use it no matter the environment you find yourself.

What do you dislike?

If you are just getting started. It has quite a steep learning curve. I have found that in my opinion it works best to start knowing just a few shortcuts to get started and keep adding to them with time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can endure the learning curve involved with learning to use this tool, your productivity stands to benefit greatly from it. You can try it out at the basic level by activating Vi mode in your current editor or IDE (there's probably a plugin / inbuilt way of doing that) and once you get used to its navigations and other fundamental productivity features, move to actually using Vim.

I use this tool for quick editing of text files both on locally and on remote servers.

Vim review by Siddharth K.
Siddharth K.

"The best editor, ever."

What do you like best?

The speed, the simplicity, and the lack of having to use a mouse.

These things are so core to the usage of vim that just about anyone who is sighing every time they have to move their hand off the keyboard to the mouse to do something belongs in Vim.

I will concede that this is an editor that needs to be configured, and it's not a one-time activity. You need to keep tweaking stuff, changing key mappings, and everything else everyday.

I myself have come out to start tweaking my editor and updating my dotfiles on GitHub roughly once a week. There are some good guides about all the plugins that you need to install to get vim to be as close to an IDE as you would like. (https://github.com/jez/vim-as-an-ide and http://vimawesome.com)

I don't like full-fledged IDEs too much and would like the build cycle to be separate from the text-editing stage of app-development. So, I have a limited set of plugins that I keep updating everyday depending on what I find missing. I know that there will come a day when this will become the last configuration I use and the config file will stop changing as often as before. ( https://github.com/icyflame/dotfiles/blob/master/vimrc.symlink )

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I really dislike about Vim. When starting out a lot of people may say that the key mappings to ZZ, w, hjkl etc don't make sense and they don't like it. But give yourself some time, and you will understand that these mappings are not just on the basis of whim but because someone actually used it and realized this was the fastest way to write code, without having to think a lot about the housekeeping stuff.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time with setting Vim up. This can take a couple weeks, that's okay. Take your time, and blend into the editor. Know what you want, find plugins for that, install it, rinse and repeat.

Eventually, you will hit a configuration that gives you everything you want, nothing more, nothing less. A good point to start might be a famous dotfile on GitHub. (https://github.com/dotfiles)

I am a full-stack web developer and also, research in robotics. I mostly write Ruby, HTML, C++, Python, and Markdown for any other non-code prose. Vim has increased my productivity a lot. I don't have to wrestly with a heavy GUI editor like Sublime or Atom. And also, familiarity with Vim, gives me a lot more leeway on the things I can do on a server I have SSH access to. It's almost like my own PC, and I feel more at ease with Vim. Any other editor (Gedit is the favorite among others) simply slows down the speed at which you work.

Vim review by Liu H.
Liu H.

"It deserves the title: The God of editors"

What do you like best?

1. The speed. It can startup in 600ms even when I have install about 100 plugins, It's also amazing fast when edit large files.

2. Powerful and reasonable keyboard shortcuts. With the shortcuts, you can throw away your mouse and greatly speed the editing process.

3. Extensibility. With vim script, you can easily add new feature to vim and use it as a IDE. With vbundle or neobundle, install/uninstall plugins for vim is easier than install a software.

What do you dislike?

1. When set fold method to syntax, it's really slow for large files.

2. Poor support for IME. It's annoying to have to switch between different input method when edit non-English text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe it's hard to learn, but once you grasp it, you will get the benefit all your life, just like swimming.

I use vim to write c++, python, xml, easy to format code, auto-completion, snippet support and so on.

Vim review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"A trusted code editor."

What do you like best?

It's an editor entirely focused in being used to work efficiently and in an optimized way, specifically when using *nix systems, it has tons of keyboard shortcuts to make simple tasks quickly, it has tons of plugins and configs ready to set, it's well known, it has a large community.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to use, you need to learn and practice how to use it at least few weeks before doing something productive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will be worth it. From the very beginning it will be hard to get yourself confortable with Vim and how to even edit a file, you'll eventually get to move like a ninja and code fast.

General programing, and some text editing can be done with this one easily.

Vim review by George G.
George G.

"All-in-one text editor"

What do you like best?

Flexibility and customisation ability and at the same time not so keyboard-intensive as other text editors. You can automate repetitive editing tasks, even have Vim generate skeleton files for specific file types.

Very good documentation and community size.

Present in most Linux distributions by default.

I especially enjoy Vim because it's console oriented, since I like/am used to work mostly on the command line. No need for mouse usage!

What do you dislike?

Big learning curve.

Many commands are not intuitive.

Lack of some out of the box integration with other tools frequently used with Vim (eg git, svn etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Customize Vim to your needs incrementally. Store the Vim configuration file and every time you need something more just add it up to the configuration. Keeping different configurations for different kinds of editing may also come handy and help you organize your work flow. Don't get afraid to go deep into the advanced features of Vim, this is where the biggest part of the benefit comes from.

Vim boost my productivity in editing source code and configuration files. Also browsing code is a piece of cake when used alongside with (c/g)tags.

Vim review by Shannon D.
Shannon D.

"VIM --what's not to like?"

What do you like best?

If you remember the 90s, then VIM was the cool older brother to VI. VIM is functional, allows for easy movement throughout a file, and gives you syntax highlighting. It also comes stock on most Linux distros, so what's not to like?

What do you dislike?

If you're expecting something more than a simple text editor with some syntax highlighting, you may be disappointed. I however learned to code in VIM and find it super functional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know what you're using it for. If you want anything fancy, look somewhere else.

We're solving the problem of what software to local change files in on our Linux boxes. It's a pretty simple problem, with an even simpler solution.

Vim review by Christopher K.
Christopher K.

"Good tools are hard to use"

What do you like best?

Vim is available anywhere and does anything. By taking an inconvenient perspective to text manipulation, vim unlocks several advanced techniques which are ultimately more effective than low hanging fruit.

What do you dislike?

Part of the unique angle it provides is the lack of anything familiar. There is no mouse support and transitional installations don't even support arrow key navigation. It's exceedingly hard to teach others unless they're dying to know how.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use vimtutor. It's a very straightforward guide that will get you going in about an hour. Also consider that, since it runs on remote SSH sessions, you can use it on your phone.

Editing files on remote servers with vim means you don't need to transfer over FTP, command line tools like git are always close at hand, and edits can be FAST.

Vim review by G2 Crowd User in Financial Services
G2 Crowd User in Financial Services

"It's not UltraEdit, but it is free"

What do you like best?

Of the free text editors, I would have to recommend Vim. While I do use UltraEdit at work, I wanted a free, open-source option to use at home. As with a lot of open-source software, Vim can be customized in a variety of ways to suit the type of work you're doing and your style. You can write all sorts of scripts to customize it as well as borrow those written by others in the very active Vim community. It is also convenient that once you have your customization set up, you can save them to a configuration file and apply them on another device very easily.

What do you dislike?

There is a sharp learning curve with Vim which I think really turns off a lot of new users. It is not intuitive, although there are a lot of guides out there to help you. It is also probably better suited for smaller projects. I know others tend to prefer Ultraedit or even Emacs for large, corporate endeavors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the Cream for Vim config to avoid the initial steep learning curve.

I am more of an analyst than a developer, but I do use Vim from time to time for small C# projects. I appreciate the ability to add a lot of customization and try out new configs like Cream for Vim which I have found makes the tool a little bit easier to grasp.

Vim review by Sergey T.
Sergey T.

"The best text editor ever"

What do you like best?

Really great customizability and extensibility. Awesome community. Available everywhere: I use it on development machine and on servers.

What do you dislike?

Problems with encoding on Windows (can be solved but I think such thing should work out of the box). No centralized package repository (something like Homebrew on OS X, "Vim Scripts" doesn't count).

And the worst thing: it is impossible switch to another editor if mastered Vim. You constantly trying to execute Vim command and it's annoying :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't give up if you just stared to learn vim and think it's too complicated. Time spent on learning will be rewarded handsomely.

I'm using Vim to write code on all my projects. Also I'm using Vim as general-purpose text editor. Vim greatly increases the speed of the text (but only after a certain time spent learning how to use it)

Vim review by Kevin R.
Kevin R.

"Very Light"

What do you like best?

It has all the feature that text editor needs! split screen, auto-tab / space. All of the VIM feature can be be accessed using hot key. And the most important thing VIM can do visual row block. I never seen other text editor can make feature like this. It can make programming works more easily and fast! And also VIM can insert multiple line in on time...

VIM is very simple, light, efficient , and can do some macro. VIM default keyboard commands is also make we can type more fast, like moving the visual row by alphabets "IJKL" it make near other command that commonly used in the VIM. it also has custom home and end function on the keyboard.

VIM is commonly used in various area of ubuntu server. we can edit easily server setting or config if you understand VIM. Mayber at first using VIM is a little difficult but it has a prize that allow us to easily config in server.

And the most important things is, VIM is FREE

What do you dislike?

Lack of Plugin. This is the only one that I don't really on VIM. But basically this text editor is very light because there is no option to install any plugin or other that will make this text editor become slow.

Other than this, i think VIM is a perfect text editor that already used many people to do some programming and other things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VIM is FREE, light and simple. It has all feature that text editor needs.

Vim review by User in Internet

"A powerful tool, with a barrier to entry"

What do you like best?

Having a powerful and fully customizable directly in the terminal is the biggest plus for me, and the reason I've still not moved to any newer editors that have come along.

The customization and plugin landscape is great, and being able to pull my config quickly on a new machine - even a remote virtual machine - means that I can be comfortable anywhere.

What do you dislike?

Modes are hard. Using VIM inside of tmux means I have modes inside of modes, and that can really cause hiccups in workflow.

When I work with someone unfamiliar with VIM, it can be a barrier to a good pairing session. I don't recommend switching editors "just because," when VIM takes so long to get good at. So I often have to switch to someone elses editor when pairing.

Editing, developing, building applications.

Vim review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Default Productivity Tool"

What do you like best?

Being able to manipulate text has never been more easy. With a few strokes of the keyboard, which I earned by being able to remember.

What do you dislike?

When you tell a person to just use Vim to do something and they are unfamiliar with it, so you have to provide all of the text in addition to the keyboard commands.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a no bullshit tool that makes it where you can maximize your 1337'ness. When you blaze through the console in such a way that proves to your colleagues that you are the alpha of the team.

By being able to just get shit done with no overhead Vim solves the problem of providing a standardized IDE, albeit stripped down.

Vim review by Saka Mahendra A.
Saka Mahendra A.

"Great Text Editor"

What do you like best?

Vim is very good text editor.

Vim also can be used in linux system.

Vim can make your work become more faster.

Because Vim use vintage that can be used to faster your job.

You don't need to use arrow key and never leave your hand position.

Very perfect text editor if you want to speed up your job.

What do you dislike?

There is no autocomplete for HTML or other coding system.

Like if I want to create HTML file I must build it from scratch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should try to use Vim.

It's greate for your daily codding life.

You can learn it using forum or from friend.

There are already many people in this world that already use Vim

I use Vim in my training program.

It's very great text editor.

If you want to learn about vintage you can just learn it using VIM.

I use it in my daily programming life.

And this vintage is very great.

Vim review by Tihomir M.
Tihomir M.

"The ultimate Unix/Llinux text editor"

What do you like best?

Installed by default on every Unix/Linux system. After you learn how to use it, it's an incredibly powerful text editor. Handles huge files without any issues. A lot of useful plugins. Everyone calling them self a programmer or an sysadmin should know how to use it.

What do you dislike?

It has a steep learning curve and the creators of VIm should figure a way how to lower the barrier of entry, to make it easier for the beginners. Some things like code completion should be supported out of the box.

Reading and editing text files extremely easily. Can be used for development but it lacks some of the advanced feature present in modern IDEs.

Vim review by Justin B.
Justin B.

"The difficult learning curve is worth the increased productivity and portability"

What do you like best?

Vim (or at least vi) is virtually guaranteed to be available on any machine you encounter. It is one of two extremely powerful command line editors (the other being Emacs) with a tough learning curve but huge payoffs in productivity.

What do you dislike?

Vim is very difficult to learn. For many, it's almost a rite of passage, but it is still ridiculous to have to look up tutorials on basic movements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take time to create a .vimrc file that suits your usage, and don't add lines to it without understanding what they actually do

My primary use-case for Vim is software development.

Vim review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Vim knowledge will pay you back, albeit some effort and patience is required "

What do you like best?

Useful and available both in a desktop (Mac, Windows) and in a terminal environment to edit files. Very powerful commands to perform quickly complex file manipulation operations. Large knowledge base available on line to help you solve text editing tasks.

What do you dislike?

It requires some time to memorize its commands and learn its way of operation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest some time on learning Vim basics, and you will be paid back in spades! Of course it will take some more efforts on your side to learn Vim commands, and sample most of its features, but you'll gain a powerful tool to edit multiple files on multiple OS platforms.

Main business problems solved by Vim are related with text file editing: source code files, markdown documents. Main benefits are related to the ability to execute quickly, even complex multiple file manipulations (search and replace, multiple files editing, sequence of editing actions).

Vim review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"A great text editor speeds up your code editing"

What do you like best?

All common editing functions are on your fingertips.

It supports macros (map keystrokes) which automate part of your trivial job.

You can write pseudo code and modify your target text automatically.

The keystrokes can be written in a text file and finally allows you to edit your target text without opening it.

It can store up to 10 delete buffers and up to 26 named buffers that you can easily use even through macros.

You can easily create your own syntax files and see your special text files in color.

Supports X-windows interface (vim -g).

Easily it captures and imports the screen output of the OS commands inside your text document.

What do you dislike?

Too many key commands that make it difficult to remember.

The whole keyboard is mapped to editing commands.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a little difficult to adopt it especially if you are a user of powerful windows editors like Notepad++.

Once you have learnt how to use it you will stuck with it.

If you are familiar with the basic vi Unix editor this is a major improvement.

I'm using this editor since 1991 for editing in Unix and Windows.

You can easily edit source code from a previous project and adapt it to a new one.

You can automate trivial editing actions and produce source code quickly.

Allows you to search and replace with extended regular expressions.

Ideal for execute and log the OS commands.

Vim review by Tanmay D.
Tanmay D.

"Awesome editor any linux/mac environment "

What do you like best?

It is very useful when doing native coding like in C/C++. This is also very useful in writing shell scripting. You can customize the configuration of vim editor and create your own shortcuts for editing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be hard to remember the shortcuts but as you spend more and more time with it will become your second nature.

Vim is a code editor. You can use it for editing any type of test editing as well.

Vim review by Mohit B.
Mohit B.

"Best terminal editor for coders"

What do you like best?

Its really great and simple tool for people who uses linux a lot and are good with remembering shortcuts as you don't have UI buttons in vim. It is a really useful editor. Best thing about using VIM is that it comes preinstalled on most of os so you don't need to install anything.

What do you dislike?

It is bit difficult to learn and remember all the commands like how to save and quit or save without quit. it does not have any UI buttons or anything you have to remember the commands but Once you learn it then it becomes really handy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend vim to all the companies who are developing a unix based tool or are working on something related to operating systems.

We are small team of application developer for Ubuntu operating system and vim has made editing code really simpler.

Vim review by 裕 .
裕 .

"Enjoy the text typing with VIM, it's my favourate text editor for over 5 years."

What do you like best?

1. good shortcuts to move/edit the text

2. great customization support

3. good coding support, it is a very good programming editor

4. good support on both Linux and Mac

What do you dislike?

1. Builtin search / file explorer operation is not good to use (need a long command), not like sublime text

2. No good real time preview of markdown plugin like Atom

3. Builtin script language is easy to hang on large operation

Recommendations to others considering the product

VIM need several hours for you to learn, but after that, it can benefit you the whole life. Now I cannot imagine the work without VIM.

1. Write blog/articles in markdown

2. Python/NodeJS/Html/CSS/Java programming

3. Txt file reading

No mouse at all, and the typing is high efficiency.

Vim review by Ramón L.
Ramón L.

"Classics never get old"

What do you like best?

Vim is the text editor that you simply can't stop using, It can save you a lot of time if you find yourself in a machine that has no text editors, it's simple, it's fast. It does what it's supposed to do.

What do you dislike?

The only downside of vim is obviusly some parts of it's interface, however, this has flaw for some people is just another plus. It's like that ugly dog you loved as a child.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest you to watch a tutorial first so you don't get lost when learning the shortcuts and functions vim has to offer.

It's just amazing to go into a pc you never touched before and be in the need of an editor. Vim will be there for you, even if it's not, download will take no more than half a second. Not having an User Interface other than a terminal is not an impediment for vim.

Vim review by Chuanyui T.
Chuanyui T.

"The Arch of Editor"

What do you like best?

With available Plugins online, you can easily turn your terminal in vim into a powerful IDE.

What do you dislike?

With the big learning curve, beginners usually struggle and give up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hang in there with the struggle. You will definitely not regret and become a wizard to editing.

Everything code editing. If a team has no preference over any editor, I will suggest everyone to use Vim. The benefits is that everyone will personalized their vim settings with plugins or remaps.

Vim review by User in Computer Software

"Vim: Standing Tall after Decades"

What do you like best?

Vim is lightweight and very efficient if you know all the tricks. Some of the most efficient power users and programmers I've known prefer Vim. It's also pretty much guaranteed that any version of Linux you come in contact with will at least have Vi installed. This is especially useful on headless systems where graphical text editors aren't really an option.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for Vim is extremely steep, especially for someone who was raised in the graphical era of computers. I've been using Vim off and on for several years and still haven't memorized most of the shortcuts, even after spending several multiple-hour sessions trying to learn them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely learn Vim. It's slow going at first, but it will be worth it if you can at least make your way around without having to look things up every thirty seconds.

I've used Vim for personal projects and at several different workplaces. The biggest benefit of being familiar with Vim is the ability to edit files on remote systems or those without displays. There aren't many alternatives that are as widely available as Vim on these types of systems.

Vim review by Sean B.
Sean B.

"Advanced Text Editor"

What do you like best?

The thing I like most about Vim are the shortcuts, advanced commands, and plugins that let me do things that no other text editor can do.

What do you dislike?

One thing I dislike about Vim is the learning curve. For new users to switch to Vim it takes time to get used to. This is alright though because it has the best features when you learn how to use them. Vim is also not very good at managing object oriented projects. However this could be improved through plugins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a steep learning curve. Make sure to keep learning how to do new things faster. I have been using Vim for years now and still don't know how to fully use all the features Vim has.

I am able to write code much faster than in a regular programming text editor.

Vim review by Ty K.
Ty K.

"Old-school power editor"

What do you like best?

Vi and Vim are always there. Find a terminal window and typing vi gets you the familiar and useful interface.

What do you dislike?

Vim is not point-and-shoot. For newbies, just closing it or saving a file requires a check with Google. But once you master the steep learning curve, you never touch a mouse again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Full-powered with regex, macros, assignable shortcuts without all the fancy UI

Vim is what I use when completing tasks on an Linux-based cloud server. It's always ready to go.

Vim review by Ajinkya N.