4.7

Build enterprise apps at the speed of low-code. LANSA ’s low-code platform includes an integrated IDE, meta-data repository, rules engine and development language for extending Web, Mobile and Windows applications.

Work for Visual LANSA?

Learning about Visual LANSA?

Visual LANSA Reviews

Ask Visual LANSA a Question
Showing 60 Visual LANSA reviews
Visual LANSA review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Using Visual LANSA to build eCommerce Web applications"

What do you like best?

The Visual LANSA IDE is very intuitive and what you would expect in a modern development environment. I find the LANSA RDML language to be rich and easy to use. The English like syntax and the various tutorials and reference manuals enables developers to come up to speed quickly. LANSA has a proven track record of re-investing in the product so that it keeps up with the latest technology.

What do you dislike?

WYSIWYG Editor could be improved. A "lite" version of the product for consultants would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask LANSA to do a mini-proof of concept project to verify the product is right for your needs.

I use it to build web applications for eCommerce using their WAM technology (Web Application Modules). Our eCommerce application allows our customers to search for products, place and track orders, integrate with an ERP application, etc. The tool enables me to quickly build high performance web applications. It facilitates getting an application up and running quickly while at the same time it does not restrict me from incorporating the latest techniques available on the web.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Visual LANSA
Visual LANSA review by Alan C.
Alan C.

"Premier software development and maintenance tool"

What do you like best?

Visual Lansa has a number of bests: extremely easy to develop and maintain applications, robust source editor provides quick access to all types of objects and cross-reference their usage, data repository to encapsulate and enforce business rules ensuring data integrity, same source code runs on different platforms and operating systems.

What do you dislike?

Currently have some minor issues with third party change management system. This may be due to our being at Lansa version 12 and not at the current version or third party vendor or both.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although Visual Lansa should meet 85% of your business requirements, consider using their companion products: Integrator for data translation and transmission, as well as Composer. Lansa self-help tutorials are excellent but their training (on-site or in-house) will pay off if your company is new to Lansa.

Lansa is used to extend a very large ERP system, new applications are exclusively done in Lansa - e.g. iPad order entry, invoicing, customer retention. Major benefit is the ability to port applications from mid-range to Windows with no code changes (remember how badly Cobol failed when changing vendor or operating system?)!

What Low-Code Development Platforms solution do you use?

Visual LANSA review by Melissa J.
Melissa J.

"LANSA is easy to use "

What do you like best?

If you have a simple understanding of logic, LANSA is very easy to learn and I have been able to achieve any programming result that I have desired with a little mentoring occasionally. I have written applications for Marketing, Accounting, Claims, you name it..... It interacts well with other programs and performs well in a batch environment.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I dislike about Lansa is the built-in reporting feature in functions. I don't feel like there is a lot of documentation on how to get the most out of it. We write a lot of reports that run on an AS400 in Robot and I feel like there is not as much flexibility with the built in reports as there are with tools like Crystal Reports.

We wrote a program to handle processing our W2's. This used to take days and now the W2's are printed in and distributed in a matter of minutes. We use LANSA to process our vendor invoices so the users don't have to key very much. We created a Claims System in LANSA to enter and track all of our workers comp, auto, legal, OSHA incidents and to perform the reporting. There are countless projects that we have handled with LANSA.

Visual LANSA review by Jeff H.
Jeff H.

"I have enjoyed using Visual LANSA for 18 years now."

What do you like best?

I like that LANSA is always improving their product and that it is powerful enough to do nearly everything that I need it to. When there is an unusual requirement and LANSA cannot do something, it provides the ability to interface with specialty programs that can, or simply lets me generate and execute scripts on the fly that can (VBscript for instance).

What do you dislike?

Starting at Version 13 the LANSA Windows deployment tool was changed to use MSI install packages instead of their home-grown deployment technique. Since V13 I use the MSI to install the base package on user workstations but had to develop my own JIT update programs to deploy updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend LANSA. It has been around for decades and they are always improving the product and keeping up with the latest technologies. It has been my primary development tool since the year 2000 and I have done many amazing things with it!

Over the years I have solved too many to count! Warehousing, shipping, digital asset management, order entry, finance, etc. Working full time and as a consultant I have created web sites, web apps on mobile devices, Windows apps, 5250 screens, and unmonitored server functions. I've printed labels, IBM i reports, spreadsheets, bills of material in Visio, and integrated with MS Office & other Windows programs. I have accessed DB2 databases, MS Access, MS SQL Server, flat files, MySQL, and Domino (Lotus Notes). The benefit has been that whatever my company needs, I am able to provide results with LANSA.

Visual LANSA review by Amador S.
Amador S.

"Visual LANSA, allowed me to be more productive"

What do you like best?

Visual LANSA, allowed me to be more productive, creating application software using less program code that would typically needed when developing with tradition computer programming languages, also making the integration with the legacy system very simple.

Has enabled me to rapid delivery of business applications with a minimum of hand-coding. Learned it using LANSA online self-training, plus their support and expertise, the debugging tool, and all the provided practical examples. There was a minimum need to be re-skilled or have to learn a multitude of new development tools and languages.

Has enabled me also to create of a new breed of enterprise-grade web and potentially mobile applications supporting the constant changing needs of the business, now faster than before.

What do you dislike?

The documentation, some times is not detailed enough

Recommendations to others considering the product

If possible, in addition to the online self-training, get some On-site or classroom courses.

Increase productivity, improve final user satisfaction

Visual LANSA review by Jon S.
Jon S.

"Changed my whole perception of the development cycle"

What do you like best?

Time to deployment and reduced investment in having to always learning new skills to keep up. Historically, as interesting as it is for developers to learn new tech and find ways to engage the user and make things easier, this learning curve is time consuming and costly. It also does not insure consistency from developer to developer or adherence to standards. Lansa literally removes all of that. The developer is extracted from that layer and only has to focus on a single development environment that continues to improve and present simple ways to accomplish the latest technologies. It even insures adherence to standards through its common repository and wizards to create many of the most common processes. To take this whole picture to the next level, all of the code is portable, not only from system to system, but between OSs! If your company is using an iSeries and decides that it is time to move to another platform; you can move with it. No new learning curves. No re-development. Pick it up and move it over. I can’t emphasize enough how valuable these traits are in environments that do not have the luxury of time and money to continually retrain.

What do you dislike?

Hang on tight with the training. Its important and well worth it in the end. But it is easy to get bored with. I find documentation to be sufficient if you have the basis of the training. Once you are through that and understand the concepts and the language, its gold.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get over the initial hump. It seems like it’s a quick learn, but there is so much to Lansa, from the repository, to the UI, and the capabilities of the language, that it does take a little commitment to get through the training and get up to speed. However, I promise that whether you are a contractor on the clock for a client, or an inhouse developer that has to answer for your hours, or an IT manager that simply wants to improve the productivity of your team, the end result will pay for itself many times over.

We use Lansa for all new development ranging from iSeries “green screens” to Windows native to cross-browser web development to Mobile. It has turned staffs of mixed talent to single cohesive teams.

Visual LANSA review by Benzy W.
Benzy W.

"Excelent Development Tool and Portability"

What do you like best?

Simple to code and that the code is reusable from AS/400 green screen to GUI interface to the Web and mobile devices. I like that many of the additional tools to perform B2B or integration with other system can be coded directly into the Visual Lansa code. I see that Lansa has developed much of the functions as "open" so they can add functionality without requiring re-write or recompiling of the application code. the support team is top notch. They have the answers for 99% of everything (including Windows and iSeries problems). The 1% they can't figure out they are quick to send to the development team to get into the crux of the problem.

What do you dislike?

Some of the documentation could use further explanation and examples to cover a wider array of how key words, parameters, or function work. I find what I'm looking for is 50% not in a documented form though the capabilities are there, I have to google or ask around on how to perform or use some coding techniques.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With the variety of additional tools from Lansa, Visual Lansa is a great foundation to build upon so other platforms like GUI, Frameworks, Web sites with mobile applications easily integrate into the existing logic and data structures. Plus there are other tools and products to help with B2B connectivity, all based on the Visual Lansa framework.

Converting old RPG code and platform to a GUI system that can communicate with other B2B enterprises.

Visual LANSA review by Elena S.
Elena S.

"Lansa defined my professional career and I love my job"

What do you like best?

Lansa provides all necessary tools to build business applications,web based and client server, small and big systems. Lansa Support always has your back, they are prompt and will patiently work with you helping to resolve any issues, answer any questions. I like that Lansa offers new technologies, goes with time and never stops challenging you.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike. I didn't like WAM web technology, but it is now replaced with VLWEB. Other than that I can't think of anything I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visit other sites before making a decision

We are local government entity. Our users are Law Enforcement, Judicial services, Parks and Recreations, Tax Office, etc. We developed several large systems with Lansa such as Jail System, Family Court, Time Cards, Budget, Records. Lansa works well with Crystal Reports, with .net programs. In addition to VL, we use Lansa Integrator, used Lansa Dashboard.

Visual LANSA review by Peter J.
Peter J.

"Finally - What I have been looking for"

What do you like best?

I am currently new to the Visual Lansa product but so far my experiences have been very positive.

We have a smaller IT department here so the demands on our time can be intense and therefore the time to develop and get projects into production is always a concern.

I have taken courses on multiple web development languages and found that I had to have experience in far too many languages to develop anything of real substance.

By using Visual Lansa, I only need to learn one language and one development environment that satisfies

all of my user community requirements and platforms. The time to learn and get up to speed is greatly enhanced compared to other products. The rapid development makes prototyping interactive programs with users much more efficient and impact-full as users can actually see the outcome of the requested changes within minutes or at least within the same day.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned, I am still new to Visual Lansa so I have no dislikes at this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth the time and effort to investigate and try the product.

One of our biggest challenges we face is the time it takes to move a project from inception to production.

The use of Lansa has so far greatly impacted the improvement of that time.

Visual LANSA review by Vera M.
Vera M.

"One skill-set to build windows and web applications"

What do you like best?

One central repository, the master repository, which stores it all: fields and files definition, server side objects (functions), client side visual objects (reusable parts, forms, images, non-LANSA visual objects etc) and much more.

The repository provides same business rules and data integrity across multi-platform applications and allows developers to build and support applications reducing time and effort.

One easy to learn language, RDML/RDMLX, to build windows, web, mobile and IBM ISeries applications. RDML is a very intuitive and really an easy to learn language. I have seen developers new to Visual LANSA to take just weeks to learn it.

What do you dislike?

I believe there is an opportunity for Visual LANSA to improve the creation of local repository in order to setup a development environment in windows. Currently it is a time consuming process that takes hours or even days depending on the size of your repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual LANSA is a truly a one skill-set product to build multiplatform applications

We have developed a fully visual LANSA application for our warehouses across many Canadian provinces. The warehouse application is integrated with JD Edwards Sales Order module. It is also integrated with a conveyor system and an Automated Case picking Robot system.

We have also developed a web ordering application that re-uses most of the objects written for our warehouse application.

Our Visual Lansa development is fully integrated with ALDON in order to track the software promotions thru our 4 environments: Development, QA, User acceptance and Production staging.

Visual LANSA review by Edward B.
Edward B.

"LANSA for Application Development"

What do you like best?

We use Visual Lansa and the accompanying LongRange product to provide enterprise solutions to our internal users, mobile sales force, and customers through a web portal. The Visual Lansa IDE allows us to rapidly produce low-code solutions served from our IBM System i and delivered to personal computers, laptops, tablets, and smart phones across the world.

What do you dislike?

Finding effective solutions for source code management and version control is cumbersome. There are few viable third-party solutions and none that I consider cost-effective. Effective integration (and tightly knit) with GitHub and/or TFS and with platforms like JIRA would make Visual Lansa a more productive development platform for a cross-functional development team.

We use the Lansa Suite of Products to leverage the power and stability of our IBM mid-range server and deliver high quality applications to users on a wide-ranging computer environment spanning multiple continents and with a myriad of user devices. Our greatest ROI, thus far, has been an online/offline mobile application that we have been able to put in the hands of our sales force and give them access to data never before available when servicing our agricultural client base.

Visual LANSA review by Jay K.
Jay K.

"One Toolset for all developers"

What do you like best?

As a manager I don't have to worry about having a mobile developer, web developer, pc developer, RPG developer, etc. I can train all my developers on LANSA and they can develop the applications on the appropriate platform needed for our company.

What do you dislike?

I would like for the company to bring back the LANSA user conferences. This was a great networking opportunity and place to see new or updates to tools they offer. It was also a great opportunity to speak directly to LPC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

LANSA is a toolset that can run on any platform. You can train your staff on one toolset and they can develop web, mobile, GUI, and green screen applications.

We use LANSA Tools and ERP Codestart to manage our entire operations at Kawasaki. We are currently working on rolling out a new Warehouse Management System written in LANSA using LANSA Framework and LongRange tools. This allows our workforce in the warehouse to be mobile and utilize hardware they are familiar with ( Android Zebra TC70 ).

Visual LANSA review by Andy B.
Andy B.

"One toolset for deploying multi-platform, multilingual applications for windows, web and mobile!"

What do you like best?

Visual LANSA has a very important concept called a repository at it's core. It allows the developer to keep track of all the development objects that are used as part of the application. The repository encourages reuse of objects, and rules and relationships can be defined over these objects. It also allows for the smooth promotion and tracking of these objects from Development through to QA and Production environments. I also like that fact that this one simple to learn language can allow a developer to deploy to windows, web and mobile. I have seen many developers over the years develop between all three.

What do you dislike?

A couple of things that I dislike. 1) There needs to be a better process of deploying Windows dll's to Citrix servers. 2) The Version Control System features would better suit my needs if it also worked as part of a slave IDE install.

Timesheet entry and workflow, Contract creation, PO creation, Customer Facing Web sites, B2B and B2C sites, Mobile salesforce support.

Visual LANSA review by Nikolaos Vasileios D.
Nikolaos Vasileios D.

"Blazing fast Web & Mobile Development"

What do you like best?

Visual LANSA is a Development platform with one set of code and a unique programming language with which you can built application for web, mobile, windows, linux, ibmi and the cloud.

One programming language to develop applications that are deployed everywhere

What do you dislike?

The rollouts of the new development abilites Visual LANSA offers are sometimes a bit low paced.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do download the trial version of Visual LANSA Editor and give it a shot. You will be amazed on how easy it is to create an application from UI to ΒackΕnd(DB) using only one set of code, one programming language.

With Visual LANSA I was able to provide Web Applications with a modern, minimal, fresh new look to institutions that required fast development in order to be competitive in the modern era. I have realized that the effort needed to build a Web Application using LANSA is about 30 to 40 percent less than using other tools and products. By "Web Application" I refer to all the parts required to have an operational Application, front-end, database design, communication of front end with the database.

Visual LANSA review by Ivan R.
Ivan R.

"Lansa speeds up our development process"

What do you like best?

I've been using Lansa for about 6 years now, since version 11. At that time we used it to modernize legacy systems running in RPG into web browser application. What we like about Lansa is we were able to retool all our RPG programmers to Lansa very quickly, and coding is easy compared to other programming language (Java, C++, .Net). We stayed with Lansa since then, and now with version 14, we are using the tool to developed web based applications. With changing trends like Responsive Web Design, we don't need to hire new consultants or send our guys to training, Lansa always keep up with the trend and we implement them in the project very easily.

What do you dislike?

Like any other development tools, you don't always get what you want. When Lansa releases new version sometimes you are waiting for something but they give you other thing. I guess, one area I want Lansa to improve is the debugging tool. Its a bit sluggish and needs to get better.

We are using Lansa for a wide range of application development. From modernizing legacy systems, to developing web application and mobile apps. Lansa is not complicated, you dont need to learn a lot of different technology specially for web, to be able to develop a fully functional and up to date application. In a way, it saves us cost from hiring more resource and saves money for speeding up our development process.

Visual LANSA review by Warren R.
Warren R.

"Lansa - Designed for Integration"

What do you like best?

Lansa gives us the ability to write code that can operate on both an IBMi operating system as well as the Windows environment, which allows us to use one code base in order to write commands for either system; the exact same program will function the same way regardless of the operating system (with the exception of a few system-specific commands).

What do you dislike?

It's very easy to fall into performance "traps". Our application has a great deal of client/server interaction, and it will often bottleneck while waiting for communication. The built-in file reader is also not the most efficient (it will process every record that matches the keys, regardless of further limiters such as the where statement). They do, however, provide solutions to address these issues; since the same code functions on either the client system or the server, we can write it to execute on the server, and build customized SQL database queries which allow for much more complex searches that complete far more rapidly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a multi-platform client needing one code base to run on multiple systems, Lansa is a good fit for you. Even if you're not, however, they have multiple other products that can integrate with Visual Lansa (such as Composer, LongRange, etc) that can provide a great deal of benefit to your organization when combined with Visual Lansa. It's definitely worth looking into.

We are an ISV generating and deploying clinical & billing software to a larger number of customers. We have a large "legacy" application written in Synon/RPG, designed for operation on an IBMi OS. We needed to modernize the application to run in a Windows environment, but also wanted to keep the database in this system (instead of attempting to convert & rewrite), as well as being able to leverage existing code instead of having to rewrite the entire application from the ground up.

Lansa allowed us to pursue this goal. With a single coding language that generates output that runs on both Windows & the IBM system, there is no need to maintain two different sets of programs. We can call and execute existing RPG programs (reports, calculations) without having to rewrite them off-the-bat. This allowed us to create the screens, designing them how we wanted, rewriting where necessary, and snapping everything into Lansa's provided framework.

We also have a need for communication with outside entities, and have used Lansa Composer for conversion of data from our database to the expected format from other organizations, or vice versa (including being able to use standards such as HL7 or NCPDP). Lansa Composer / Lansa Integrator have allowed us to consume Web Services as well, directly from the application, instead of having to build & design from a third-party service.

Visual LANSA review by Pierre L.
Pierre L.

"Visual LANSA, our technology partner to solve our business problems"

What do you like best?

Repository based development and the Framework technology. The combination of these two things makes creating and maintaining applications a breeze.

The RDMLX language will be familiar to IBM i professionals and very easy to learn for anyone with a bit of OO experience. The repository acts a central place for all things created by your team. This makes teamwork simple and efficient. The Framework technology leads you into new Windows or Web applications really fast.

I also like the fact that Visual LANSA can help you with your legacy applications as well as new applications. Because in the real world, you simply cannot re-write everything, salvaging and re-using existing stuff that already works and modernizing it is a safe way forward.

The IDE is very smart and intuitive. It's totally integrated with the repository and it truly facilitates the developer's job.

What do you dislike?

The Framework “merge” process. If multiple designers are in the same Framework then the process of merging their respective designs is a bit of a pain. I realize that multiple designers in the Framework only happens on very big projects but we went through that and it could have gone better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are an IBM i shop with developers using procedural programming, VL will get you into the OO world very smoothly. We went thru this at our shop and it was a success. If you already have an OO background, VL should be easy for you.

As with anything new, make sure to set aside some time for training and experimenting.

We have modernized a huge existing (legacy) ERP application with Visual LANSA and RAMP (VL's sister product). This allowed us to breathe new life into our feature rich application and allowed us to signed new customers.

We also used the product to build new Web modules that is now part of our offering.

Visual LANSA review by Joe Y.
Joe Y.

"Great tool for rapidly building web applications"

What do you like best?

Makes developing advanced form heavy web applications very easy. By defining your rules and constraints in the repository (data dictionary) you then don't have to to handle all the validation checks and displays yourself. The WYSIWYG editor works really well and allows you to design nice web pages without deep knowledge of HTML/CSS/Javascript. Having only know one language (RDML/X) is nice as a modern web developer has to be proficient in about 5 different languages. Architecture wise it is very similar to what a modern SPA type application would be where you have the SPA client making HTTP requests to an API server that is then using data access objects to interact with the database.

What do you dislike?

VCS Integration. Seems like it is more suited to SVN style source repositories than DVCS such as Git. A lot of internal LANSA objects get pushed into your repo unless you specifically ignore them. The generated HTML is "different" making it sometimes difficult to use with normal web developer tools. By different, I mean that it does not render standard HTML form object but its own HTML rendering of them. For example, when using a repository defined field, a HTML INPUT is not rendered as <input type="text" /> but instead it is rendered as a <div> .... </div>.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep an open mind when first looking at it, it is easy to get lost in your own perceptions and miss the bigger picture of what Visual LANSA offers.

We are using it to modernize applications running on an IBM i. Benefits included faster time to production and reduced learning curve as there is only one language to know.

Visual LANSA review by Michael F.
Michael F.

"Working with Lansa v 12 SP1 for 364 days"

What do you like best?

Well, first of all, I like the fact that Lansa has given me a 'one-stop-esoteric-shop' of sorts in which to code for iSeries, Windows, and Linux. Second, I find RDML/RDMLX to be a pretty simple (agile) language, simple to learn that is; but as I've gotten more comfortable, I've noticed some profound capabilities. Third, I love to learn, so for me I find myself checking the 'keep generated source' checkbox when compiling, It's eye-opening to see the C/C++ code derived from programs that I've created.

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes annoying that the UPRINT command doesn't work with RDML.

Recommendations to others considering the product

YES!!! Go for it!!!!

As a county government employee, I'm solving problems primarily for departments that fall under the Law Enforcement and Public Safety umbrella. In my shop we utilize a continuous deployment theory of promotion because our Lansa-built infrastructure was designed to embrace these changes seamlessly. There are myriad benefits for me as a developer, to name three I'd say maintainability, reliability and security. The public sector never sleeps!!!

Visual LANSA review by David N.
David N.

"Best Business Software Development Tool ever!"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the concept is key. By allowing business-oriented users to define the business rules of the application, LANSA frees the developer to concentrate on user interface and functionality. By providing a very intuitive and simple tool for UI design, it allows the developer to create complex web and windows applications without having to learn all the underlying programming languages. This increases productivity and decreases time to market. You can do anything with LANSA that you could do with other languages, just in a quarter of the time.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the product could be integrated with Visual Studio or Eclipse which would allow development in multiple environments simultaneously. While it is not a detriment to rapid application development, it would be easier to coexists with non-LANSA developers in the enterprise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a productive, responsive development tool, and you are not afraid of using a tool that is its own ecosystem, then Visual LANSA provides the best and fastest application development on the market today.

We are re-engineering a legacy ERP from 1983 with no documentation and no business rules in the system. By using Visual LANSA, we have been able to architect a flexible solution that is responsive to the enduser and easily maintainable by the developers. The ability to use the same underlying structure for both client-server and web applications allows us to allocate developer resources more efficiently and to respond to end user requirements faster.

Visual LANSA review by Sandy L.
Sandy L.

"Visual Lansa Review"

What do you like best?

That the product is integrated with my ERP/Retail DB2 database.

What do you dislike?

That I am unable to maintain the two websites in house - due to lack of trained personnel and cost. Lansa requires in depth training to be proficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you desire to maintain the product in-house, you will need a dedicated, trained member on your staff. This person would need to be a strong programmer. I do not have that depth in my staffing at this point and have chosen to outsource any work that needs to be done. I do not expect much change on the existing site so that works for me. Once implemented, it is a wonderful tool. And it's real time. No transferring files back and forth to get current information.

Customer visibility to their orders without having to call customer service at specific times to check on the status. The fact that the information is real time and always available makes our company easier to do business with.

Visual LANSA review by Sagar N.
Sagar N.

"Great Development platform for iSeries based applications"

What do you like best?

The concept of one single programming Language (RDML/x)for a wide range of development needs

Developing iSeries based applications is not complex any more with Visual LANSA

Timely Support from LANSA for any issues/challenges/How to stuff

Diversity of products from LANSA to service customers on various lines of Business

Concept of Single and Active repository

What do you dislike?

Data List limitation (9999) on RDML based applications

Dependency on Windows Virtual Machine if we are on lower version of LANSA and OS is Win 7 or higher

Upgrade could be a tedious process when we are on a lower version and did not upgrade for a long time

Recommendations to others considering the product

Along with Visual LANSA consider the other Integration product of LANSA such as Integrator that helps in interfacing with other applications

Web Service Integration using LANSA's products is made very powerful and efficient. We would have replied on other technologies if LANSA did not offer this. We have consumed many Webservices from various Service Provides and everything went very smooth

Visual LANSA review by Rob D.
Rob D.

"Visual Lansa an excellent choice for low code development."

What do you like best?

Lansa will allow you to develop web applications with a single skillset. You can create web and mobile applications from one code base. You can deploy Lansa applications on-premise or to the cloud. Lansa has a framework that makes it easy to create full-blown applications with very little code. Anyone that uses an I series will benefit from Lansa's wholly integrated environment. Lansa is the most straightforward and complete web development toolset that I have found.

What do you dislike?

I wish Lansa integrated with other testing tools. It would be nice if the software had a built-in unit testing environment. You can build your unit test environment using Lansa without much difficulty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would Highly recommend Visual Lansa

With Lansa we wrote a sophisticated mobile ordering application for our stores in a few months. By implementing our store ordering application, we have saved labor and increased the accuracy of our orders.

Visual LANSA review by Donald S.
Donald S.

"Visual Lansa IDE "

What do you like best?

Visual Lansa allows one single development tool to be used for multiple applications from a WEB application to a Green screen or windows using the same syntax. With multiple developers sometimes on the same application it has a locking feature that allows us not to step on each other as well.

What do you dislike?

The initial install of the IDE piece cold be more intuitive but something that also does not have to be done often.

We have used Visual Lansa for our Yard Management system to provide a web interface to the Yard.

Lansa has always shielded developers from having to know all the technologies behind generating Web to Windows to green screen apps. This allows us to keep the same staff across all our needs

Visual LANSA review by Blayne C.
Blayne C.

"Using Lansa for over 15 years"

What do you like best?

I like the organization and ease of use of Lansa. I work with quite a few large applications that have been developed by multiple developers. Lansa makes it easy to find what I'm looking for, make the needed changes, and continue on my way.

What do you dislike?

The online documentation could be better. However, Lansa support is world-class and better than any support out there.

Asset management, point of sale applications, reports, barcodes, labels, Student Information System. Quick development time and ease of maintenance.

Visual LANSA review by Jeffrey D.
Jeffrey D.

"We giver our users EXACTLY what they want"

What do you like best?

Software engineers are extremely productive in a short amount time. Object-oriented architecture, high level programming language, centralized business repository. VL hides complexity and allows us to deploy our custom applications to our users rapidly.

What do you dislike?

I wish we had a larger base. Time to get the word out!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend.

We literally solve business problems on a weekly basis. However we get there, it all comes down to the bottom line. We have developed all of our applications in VL with the exception of Human Resources and Payroll.

Visual LANSA review by User

"Visual Lansa At Viatech"

What do you like best?

Lansa allow us to have a single repository for all definitions for our applications. This allows us to be very efficient with our team. As new releases become available, the new functionality grows with what is current in the industry. There are add-on products that enhance the product, like Integrator. This product allows you to preform functions that normal would that a programmer a lone time to create and use.

What do you dislike?

At this time there are no dislikes to the use of the system. Sometimes that is a miss-understanding of the use of a function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once the understanding of the system and its capabilities are realize, the use and programming are with the investment.

Currently, we are revamping our current Inventory systems with Lansa and Long Range to increase or inventory control. A new Shop Floor Order processing has been put into place to track orders throughout the plant floor..

Visual LANSA review by Wally J.
Wally J.

"Best Business Integratable to Software Development Tool"

What do you like best?

Visual LANSA is unique in its history and approach of giving programmers the ability to program any size application or system, for Web, Windows, and 5250. With the productivity and ease of learning unlike any product we've worked with or seen to date. The data dictionary guides programmers and teams to standardize aspects of design and programming that other languages rely on department policy for. The language itself is simple and intuitive, and at the same time, able to do the most intricate things. As Well it's history is very impressive; A programmer creating some of the most modern applications with Visual LANSA could still read and maintain parts of their applications that may have been written 25 years ago. Nothing like this exists anywhere else.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the execution environment a company is targeting, whether it’s a Windows client to IBM i server application or a web application being served off of a Unix machine, the initial setup can be a bit tedious, if not tricky. But once that’s done, it really is and remains simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would recommend seeing Visual LANSA in action with LANSA's Repository which houses the Business Rules outside of the Application which is the power of LANSA. Feel free to contact me for assistance in seeing this, we would be glad to show you the magic of LANSA!

We’ve worked on so many different designs and implementations, with so many companies. Everything from 5250 warehouse inventory systems, to order processing EDI transaction systems, to Windows data analysis and executive information systems, to web catalogue shopping systems, to browser based sales terminal systems. It really is exciting to be able to sit down to a business problem, imagine the right solution, and make it happen with Visual LANSA.

Visual LANSA review by Gerald C.
Gerald C.

"One tool and skill set for multi-platform development."

What do you like best?

Visual LANSA allows for learning 1 tool for developing applications to be deployed on many platforms. You can build web, windows or IBM i applications within the IDE.

If you have done any programming in other languages, learning Visual LANSA is fairly quick and easy. It hides the complexity of needing to know so many languages within this one envelope.

What do you dislike?

Setup and maintenance of the LANSA Environment requires specific knowledge of the LANSA tool and its requirements. You (or your IT team) will need to spend a little time in understaning the inner workings at intial setup and for upgrades.

I am not sure if this much different than most development tools, but LANSA Support has been great in assisting with this items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have the LANSA team give you a demo or do a proof of concept. I think you will be extremely happy.

I have worked on numerous web, windows and IBM i native applications with this tool. From Work Order and Inventory systems to complex Tax systems.

The IDE allows for using 1 interface to develop each of these vastly different applications.

Visual LANSA review by steve p.
steve p.

"greatly simplifies development and maintenance and capabilities grow as you need them"

What do you like best?

First off a caveat - I am working in a slightly older version of VL - 12.1. The current version is 14 - so this is related to a slightly older version. I've seen some things with v14 that are quite impressive but I can't speak to it firsthand.

At the core of everything - Lansa makes development easier by degrees of magnitude over other environments I've worked in. The repository hides a lot of development headaches seen elsewhere. And it does it all with a relatively simple language (RDML and RDMLX). So a single skill set can be used to develop across multiple platforms.

And Lansa seems to be good at keeping up with what is going on in tech. They've stayed current with the times. They aren't bleeding edge, heck they aren't even necessarily even leading edge. They wait for technology to be solid before they release it (usually just in time for the business world to realize that they want a new feature).

What do you dislike?

The editor is not as robust as Visual Studio and the basic visual frameworks (at least in 12.1) are a bit kludgy. (13 and 14 appear to have improved those issues but as I've said - I can't speak to that from experience.)

Because of the OAMs (object access modules - essential an interface program between files and programs), the performance is not as high as raw RPG (benchmark a read of 1M records in RPG vs Lansa and you'll see a difference in favor of RPG - but I'd argue the time savings on coding down the road mitigates the performance hit).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lansa and its capabilities has grown dramatically in the years since I've been using it. What started out as a green screen / procedural language has turned in to a cross-platform marvel that can do thing even Lansa doesn't know it can do...

When we've needed to change, Lansa has been there with us. In the beginning, they were the repository and RDML. In the early 00s, they had web and client/server, By the mid 00s, they had added frameworks and a dramatically improved web technologies. They have continued to evolve as business needs change. They have always been there with the technology we want when we need it.

Lansa (visual, web, and IBMi green screen) runs almost our entire business.

Visual LANSA review by Marc L.
Marc L.

"New Visual Lansa Web Products Review - VL Web and VLF-One"

What do you like best?

LANSA introduced two complementary products for creating Web Sites when it introduced VL Web and VLF-One this year. VL Web product provides the capability to build a state of the art web site that scales from a mobile device, a tablet, to a desktop web page. VLF-One product is a framework that through a series of business questions will enable a team to quickly build a web site to present and maintain large amounts of ERP information. The reason this product builds quickly is because the framework handles the “plumbing tasks” such as user authentication, menus, tabs, updating multiple windows simultaneously, hiding and restoring windows, etc.

LANSA has delivered web products that that truly insulate the developer from having to continually learn multiple skill sets. HTML, JavaScript, and CSS are all handled by LANSA. The VL Integrated Development Environment is a friendly windows environment for creating one’s application.

Lastly, the response times in our early development tests are impressive. LANSA has taken advantage of client side technology so the browser is doing a great deal of the tasks.

What do you dislike?

The VL products use Object Oriented programming to build the sites. While this is absolutely the best choice for developers, many LANSA developers and future developers will have a learning curve to master OO techniques. I have completed the LANSA eLearning which do a great job teaching web techniques and strategies. My recommendation to LANSA would be to create a few eLearning classes targeted at an audience that is acquiring these new skills.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Each company must understand their business requirements in order to take advantage of the capabilities of each LANSA Web offering.

The first company objective is to be able to serve a large amount of ERP Data on the web and provide entry/maintenance for Overseas offices. It is critical that we provide enterprise information to our salesforce, customers, and suppliers via the web. We are using LANSA VLF-One product to solve this objective. Currently we are in the development phase. Early benefits are that the framework product is easy to learn and use, applications are being built fast, and the presentation of the web site is extremely professional.

The second company objective is to provide mobile applications to our salesforce and selected users. The decision has been made to use VL Web to create the applications. Our team has been trained by LANSA professional services and we are confident that we will be able to deliver state of the art mobile applications.

Visual LANSA review by Zhiming J.
Zhiming J.

"An excellent Client/Server App development solution for our business needs"

What do you like best?

Visual Lansa completely changed our business users point of view about IBM i. It has proven to be a valuable software for our enterprise application development. We have used this tool for more than 10 years, from version 9 until the latest version 14. The first thing comes to mind is SIMPLE. I used to be a developer to use language RPG, CLP, Java, C#, JavaScript, Ajax, JQuery, CSS, etc., but you don't need to know those things to finish a project with VL RDML.

What do you dislike?

The process of VL IDE installation (Version 11.3 and before, I don't have experience for 13 & 14) could be improved as one click install.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to learn & useful tool for Web and Windows rich client application development

We are replacing green screen app to more fashion UI like web, mobile app. I believe our organization will be benefited from this product.

Visual LANSA review by Glenn G.
Glenn G.

"LANSA Low-Code Development Platform"

What do you like best?

All we had to learn was LANSA, as it takes care of everything. At no point did we have to customize any HTML or JavaScript or dive into JSON, or any other technology.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything right now.....

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jump in head first.

We already had the best TMS software but we needed a slick looking user interface that is easy to use by the end user.

Visual LANSA review by Brent R.
Brent R.

"Long time customer"

What do you like best?

Lansa is constantly changing to incorporate latest technologies. I can't possibly know all the different languages and techniques, but with Lansa I have the tools for all my development needs.

What do you dislike?

We struggle to find talented professionals in our market with a Lansa background.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't go wrong with Lansa.

Our entire ERP is built on Lansa. EDI connections with customers, purchasing, manufacturing, distribution, warehouse, inventory, product development, etc...

Visual LANSA review by Larry J.
Larry J.

"Visual Lansa"

What do you like best?

The development environment is easy to use, and provides immediate feedback on syntax and parameter questions or issues. The drag-and-drop functionality allows easy and quick development, with a minimum of code in many cases. The user experience of working with a LANSA application can cut down on the amount of training required on the application.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I have had is trying to manage the difference character sizes that are available via the Windows 7 and 10 settings.

We were able to upgrade an old and no longer able to be maintained system that had been used for production reporting. We have streamlined communications regarding Purchasing, Accounts Payable, and Accounts Receivable systems. We have implemented many applications which directly email files to both internal and external systems users.

Visual LANSA review by Ahmadou N.
Ahmadou N.

"Fullstack Engineer"

What do you like best?

Front and backend development.

Built-in functions and forms ready to kick start any project.

The ability to write a re-usable part that could span on multiple projects.

Not vulnerable to hacking because of bogus compiled html displayed to the users which hide the true nature of the coding.

What do you dislike?

IDE crashes.

Lwebjobs bottleneck on IBM.

Difficulty to automate the deployment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend VL to everyone

e-Commerce development, Ability to rewrite the 5250 screens to a user-friendly UI platform.

Powerful tool to consuming any web services.

Pairs well with restful API.

Visual LANSA review by Doug W.
Doug W.

"Easy to learn, powerful, and great support"

What do you like best?

I had worked primarily with Visual Basic in the past and started at a company that uses Visual LANSA. It was easy to read the code after a small introductory class. We're able to do most anything we want with Visual LANSA. And whenever we have an issue we can't figure out, LANSA support is quick to help and figures things out.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of the process of promoting code from development to test and to production, but I have heard that Version 14 fixes the gripes I have.

We went from a mostly paper process to Visual LANSA. We have been able to speed up operations and become more efficient. Employees are able to find issues quicker and manage work in a way that was impossible before.

Visual LANSA review by Tamara S.
Tamara S.

"Satisfactorily used VL to develop Windows and Web based applications for different clients."

What do you like best?

Visual LANSA allows programmers with Object Oriented background to easily develop business applications and modules. One can easily learn Visual LANSA and become productive in a short period of time using LANSA's training material. Applications can be developed and modified without one being an expert programmer. Applications developed in Visual LANSA give users a Windows and Web based experience most persons have become accustomed to.

What do you dislike?

Visual LANSA often have to be peered with other programming languages to accomplish some user requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Visual LANSA since the tool can be used to develop business application quickly.

Integrated ACBS with another interface which would now be the central repository for all the bank's customers. I was able satisfy the client's needs within the given timeline using LANSA's tool set.

Visual LANSA review by Jim W.
Jim W.

"The web solution we've been waiting for."

What do you like best?

The new Visual LANSA for Web product allows us to build modern, single page, responsive browser based applications and mobile apps using a single tool and skill set. Mobile apps can be built to target iOS, Android and Windows 10 from the same codebase. It does all this while allowing us to continue to benefit from LANSA 's built-in data repository - we can drag a field from the repository onto a screen and panel and it will be rendered complete with label and appropriate visualization - eg a date will display as a datepicker. We have complete reuse of all our backend code and a straightforward and robust method of communicating with it. We can forget about the myriad libraries and frameworks that had to be mastered to achieve the latest look and behavior and which went out of fashion as soon as you did. We are a LANSA shop and have used the companies previous web offerings for many years but this is really a quantum leap.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing about the product that I actively dislike but as it is very new there are still some rough edges. I think the handling of multiple panels in the designer could be improved. Also the product needs better tools to manage the multiple objects (or reusable parts in LANSA speak) that comprise an application. Those without an OO background will to put in a bit of study as this approach is required once you get past simple example. An understanding of MVC will also be fairly useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

All LANSA customers using Webevents, WAMs or Longrange should look at this product as a matter of priority. All iSeries shops who want to get quality web apps out as a matter of priority but haven't got a large team or a web design department should have a look.

We are still in the phase of learning how to use the tool and developing some patterns but I fully expect to be able to deliver a mobile app targeting iOS, Android and Windows 1 this year. We will also be creating browser based applications and merging them (hopefully, seamlessly) with our current application portfolio. When the team is fully up-to-speed with Visual LANSA for we hope to be delivering modern, robust web applications faster than ever.

Visual LANSA review by Marlon V.
Marlon V.

"Programador de Visual Lansa"

What do you like best?

Que es un Lenguaje Visual y es orientado a objetos

What do you dislike?

Hasta los momentos, nada solo que quisiera recibir tutoriales y otras ayudas respecto a Visual Lansa

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simplemente probar el producto y comprobaran que es excelente lenguaje de programaciĂłn Visual.

El dia a dia del core bancario de la instituciĂłn donde trabajo, es facil para programar y tiene mucha ayuda.

Visual LANSA review by Oscar L.
Oscar L.

"Great Product for Your IBM"

What do you like best?

VLF, Learnability of Product, 1 Source for VL, Web, Mobile, etc..

What do you dislike?

I'm not a big fan yet of the Web VLF. Another thing that I personally dislike is the purchase of the Add on products: Integrator, Mobile, etc....For instance there has been many times I could have benefited from the Web Services offered through Integrator but justifying the cost for each instance is cumbersome with Management.

We have used Lansa to modernize our systems. We have used Lansa to rewrite/replace Manual Systems, Legacy DBASE systems, Foxpro Systems & REXX (web). Not only can we rewrite/replace but we can link these systems to our existing Core DB on the IBM. Lansa was easy to learn and easy to implement.

Visual LANSA review by Baojun Y.
Baojun Y.

"15 years of development and maintenance in 3 organizations."

What do you like best?

even there are many IT staff in my company, but only 4 people in my team which is supporting several other departments. We like VL because it provide quick solution to our business user needs, and also the development cycle is clear and fast, another good thing is VL application can be built on multiple databases.

What do you dislike?

for the past 13 years, U have no dislikes so far. neither my coworkers.

one of our biggest problem is urgent request from our business group, and the requirement changes during application development.

Visual LANSA review by User in Warehousing
User in Warehousing

"Visual Lansa"

What do you like best?

The ease to code programs fast, I am able to generate code to bring customers in quick and easy. We are doing several customer intergration and find that Lansa is a fast way to do this.

What do you dislike?

Having issues some times with IDE freezing or problems reconnecting after network issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a fast effiecent way of emplementing code

Customer intergrations from EDI and XML we utilize Lansas AS2 for communications and support is very helpful when needed.

Visual LANSA review by Trevor B.
Trevor B.

"Lansa V14 review"

What do you like best?

The latest V14 is great... the same IDE to generate great looking apps for multiple platforms.

Working with corporate data bases from both IBM i platforms and SQL.

Incredibly high productivity is possible with good developers... One Lansa developer can do the work of many 'traditional' developers.

What do you dislike?

Struggling to find anything to dislike, particularly with V14

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to Lansa... Spend a little time reviewing Lansa... Let the Lansa guys demonstrate their product...

I think it's one of the best kept secrets in the IT industry.

High quality Windows & Web apps, developed in a short time.

From back office user transaction type apps through to high end web portal and exec dashboards

Visual LANSA review by Executive Sponsor in Warehousing
Executive Sponsor in Warehousing

"Lansa developed WMS software supporting a nationwide WMS system for a 3rd Party Logistics firm."

What do you like best?

Easy and quick deployments of software enhancements to our WMS system on a tried and true platform.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, starting out as an RPG programmer, definitely benefits utilizing Lansa to code as much of the coding needed in RPG is already done for you.

Lansa has been integral in developing our WMS Application over the last 15 years. With it's embedded tools, like integrator making it much easier to integrate with our customers.

Visual LANSA review by Claude E.
Claude E.

"Visual Lansa has been great"

What do you like best?

Coming from the green screen development side the IDE has been a lifesaver with all the bells and whistles. I'm still learning everything it can do for me.

What do you dislike?

Hostmonitor, checking in/out of components

easy to use.

Visual LANSA review by P R.
P R.

"For modernising iSeries systems, it's great"

What do you like best?

The Lansa IDE is surprisingly rich: right-click and copy element name is probably my most used function.

What do you dislike?

Too many varied software pieces; the installation of workstation is difficult for a non-Lansa user; too much reliance on iSeries knowledge for most development.

Retaining as400 business logic while modernising the old green on black screens and adding better more intuitive application functions.

Visual LANSA review by Sharon A.
Sharon A.

"I am an experience user an a big fan of Visual Lansa."

What do you like best?

The ability to produce programs fast, and re-use code. The ease of being able to debug.

What do you dislike?

At times I wish there were better error messages, or clearer error messages.

The largest problems is the marketing of the product. The Lansa team gets a small number of projects because management gives them to other teams. We are constantly trying to convince them of all the capabilities that lansa has and its a battle.

Visual LANSA review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Lansa V14.2"

What do you like best?

One stop development tool. No additional skill set necessary like jquery, css etc.

What do you dislike?

VL Web has a little bit of a learning curve for those of us who have been developing web applications using WAMs.

Multi platform/system data access and support. Shorter implementation cycles.

Visual LANSA review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Lansa focuses on the technology we focus on the business."

What do you like best?

The repository for us is the key. We keep our buiness rules in the meta data and can leverage those rules to rapidly develop.

What do you dislike?

Not sure there is anything I dislike. I feel like we can bring in young developers that know other languages and get then up to speed quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lansa does a good job insulating the developer from newer technology by handling the complexity and allowing the customer to code based on business need.

Web B2B solutions that help our customers stay competitive.

Learn more about Visual LANSA

Visual LANSA Videos

Learning about Visual LANSA?

* We monitor all Visual LANSA reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
4.7