Do you work for Visual Studio Code?

Visual Studio Code Reviews & Product Details

What is Visual Studio Code?

Build and debug modern web and cloud applications. Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows.

Visual Studio Code Screenshots

Visual Studio Code Profile Details

Visual Studio Code Profile Details

Microsoft
Description
Microsoft Corporation develops, licenses, and supports software products and services; and designs and sells hardware worldwide. Flagship products include Windows, Office, Azure, SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics ERP and CRM, as well as Xbox; Skype; and Windows Phone.
1975
NASDAQ: MSFT
@Microsoft
8,495,532

Customers Using Visual Studio Code

The Global Work & Travel Co.
Monitise

Visual Studio Code Reviews

1-50 of 471 total Visual Studio Code reviews

Visual Studio Code Reviews

1-50 of 471 total Visual Studio Code reviews
Visual Studio Code review by Uche M.
Corporate Support Co-ordinator
Most Recent Visual Studio Code Video Review

"A powerful tool that supports multiple languages"

Visual Studio Code review by Aleida M.
Passionate about technology and share all my knowledge with the community that needs it

" fantastic tool very useful"

What do you like best?

the main one is that it is free to use. It has a fabulous debuggin tool.

Its easy configuration makes it usable quickly without needing so much knowledge.

Ideally for use in javascript development.

The Git integration. The changes you make to your files are highlighted in several places so you know exactly what is happening.

What do you dislike?

It's not Open Source, at least for the moment. The previous point would not have much importance, but because Microsoft has not yet made clear the license with which to offer the final product and everything points to what will end up being proprietary software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a super useful tool, if you are a developer both back or front I invite you to use it, if you have used sublimetext it will be very familiar and easy to manage.

The infinity of plugin that has is diverse and I assure you that it will serve you for any language you work.

Today I dedicate myself as a full stack developer which this tool helps me to develop in my work area both to develop front and backend the infinity of plugin that has makes you work with any programming language including database.

In javascript it allows me to develop all the logic for the components of the front and be able to implement at the level of microservices of the company where I work.

Visual Studio Code review by David M.
Web Designer

"The Code Editor for Development perfect on the market."

What do you like best?

I have been using Visual Studio Code for about 11 years and it is my favorite development editor. I currently use the Enterprise version of Visual Studio Code and it gives me everything I can ever wish for a development environment. Although most of the work is in the Java environment, it is starting to move to other platforms such as Php and JavaScript for Node.JS work.

- Very beautiful theme by default

- It is possible to create applications using C #, C ++, VB.net, and more.

- It has an advanced code debugger.

- It has autocomplete code.

- Manage queries towards SQLserver.

-The project manager and code is very well dustributed.

What do you dislike?

Ctrl+shift+W used to close the current tab in version 2015, but they removed that in 2017 for some reason. I needed to manually add it to their list of shortcuts to bring it back. Also, the "go to" function (Ctrl+G) used to run extremely slowly when Visual Studio Code first came out. (It's much better now though!)

Recommendations to others considering the product

VS Code is super easy to use. if you use a code editor, then consider looking at VSCode. It is also tottaly free so you won't lose anything trying it.

We have been using it for fast coding tasks, it is so awesome. it is possible to code up a HTML page, and then serve it. Or, you can code up a server-side language (C#, python, etc) and run it locally. additionally, because of the plug ins, it is able to be similar to SQL manager for queries or writing T-SQL. And, because of the way it works, always saving in the background, if your computer crashes, it is able to recover the files (unlike SSMS)

Visual Studio Code review by Marcus P.
JavaScript Full Stack Instructor

"One of the best editors I have used yet!!"

What do you like best?

There are so many things that I like about VSCode. They have an amazing built in debugger for starters. The editor is also extremely useful for helping identify errors in other less obvious places in your code. They highlight areas that are missing and give helpful notes when writing methods or using reserved words to save you the time of googling those same options. Their package manager is by far the most intuitive I have used. I began by using sublime, later switched to Brackets and finally ended up choosing VSCode due to its far superior product. Only a step below WebStorm, BUT IT'S FREE!!!

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't love about it is that sometimes the pop up notes interfere with reading the code above or below the code that I am writing. It can be very distracting at times, however, I definitely see the merit in using it. I wish there were perhaps a way to select which things it would show up for and which things it would stay hidden for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GET IT!! It's worth the learning curve of getting a new text editor, procrastinate no longer!!

Well we teach web development to dozens of students. So it is solving our need for an efficient organized editor to use in our classrooms. The best!

Visual Studio Code review by William R.
Software Programmer

"VSCode is lighter and more powerful than many IDE"

What do you like best?

We loved Visual Studio code in the office, and many of us have started to use it as the default editor and to program. Personally, I have started using it both at work and at home. I was surprised at how light it is and the few resources it uses and everything it offers in return, it simply does more with less and better than the competition.

I've been using it for more than 16 months and one of the things I liked most is how nice and clean its interface is, not many editors look so good by default, so I have not wasted my time trying to improve it because it seemed perfect to me.

Visual Studio Code implements by default Git and does it very well, making commits was never so pleasant!

The autocomplete is also excellent, although it does not include autocomplete for all the languages it can be added through plugins. The plugins is another strong point of VSC there are many and their quality control is very good.

We also have the configuration, which is done through a configuration file (very well organized and documented) and that it is possible to share with other users of your team or with yourself in different computers.

And it also support linux which personally i liked so much because is my main OS at home.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

At the beginning I was reluctant to use VSC, however much I was recommended. After trying it you can not live without it and you will become your default code editor.

Not support many languages so you have to resort sometimes to third-party plugins, which is not really something negative but they could improve the support of default languages

Visual Studio Code review by Sabrina C.
Sales Executive and Web Designer

"Great code editor"

What do you like best?

It is an editor with which I can write my code without problems and is compatible with almost any programming language, has integrations that facilitate work, it is also lightweight and I can run it on almost any operating system, plus something I like is that I can download Excensions of which the majority are free.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, depending on the number of files that run, it can freeze, I also find it difficult to adapt to its interface because it is very different from what I was using before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is a current and innovative tool that you should not stop using since it will help you a lot in your work and even more if you are software developers.

It helps me to be able to edit my code on almost any computer, since this editor does not require computers with high performance to run, it also helps me to work with git without problems and without having to make difficult configurations.

Visual Studio Code review by Hebert B.
Ingeniero en Informático - Educador

"VS Code a sensational open source editor."

What do you like best?

It is a great text editor, full of so many surprises when you use it for the first time, your workspace is so complete that you can complement it with its additional extensions, its compilation engine makes each integration or blocks of codes process them immediately. You can have a great view of your code, of your sites or folders in which you store your projects.

What do you dislike?

It's been a long time since I felt so comfortable in a text editor that with VS Code I could find.

As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing to add, your community cooperates daily to improve this tool and it has worked perfectly in every deployment I have made with my team. Even when I have been offering some induction I recommend the use of this tool, it is really fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally I had and experience with this application so I really recommend it, you will not regret using each of the options that you can offer.

I currently use VS Code to provide programming classes within the institute where I teach classes and additionally I do freelancer work in which I develop web business systems, web sites and web applications. The guarantee that I have with a manager that has everything I need is impressive, even when I include Git to keep the version control of my projects with other colleagues works perfectly. I have a series of extensions that help me at all to convert my workspace into a whole comfort area.

Visual Studio Code review by Adam S.
Freelance (Film Scoring and Sound Editing)
Music
(Myself Only)

"Visual Studio Code, A Great All-Purpose Code Solution"

What do you like best?

I am able to use Visual Studio for a variety of different projects, often including multiple programming languages in the same project. It is open source and therefore there are tons of extensions built by users that can be installed to help with whatever your needs are. The autocomplete is very good. Most importantly, and many programmers will understand exactly what I'm talking about here, the "dark mode" is very aesthetic and easy on the eyes. In general, you can easily configure the program to your liking. I have been able to use this product for Javascript, C++, Java, C#, HTML, CSS, and Python.

What do you dislike?

I think it could have better Java and C++ support for autocompletion and debugging. Very often, I don't know there is a problem until I go to compile which slows me down. Many tell me to use other IDEs for these languages but I honestly just like using Visual Studio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Google to find out the extensions that you need for your project.

I keep everything in one place. Many different files across different languages. The built in terminal is very easy to use. There are so many extensions that can be installed to improve your workflow. I often build applications in Max/MSP that rely on external code. I keep VS open with all the relevant files and I am able to easily make updates or changes and see them immediately work in Max.

Visual Studio Code review by Zhuli L.
Research Assistant
Computer Networking

"powerful, comprehensive, fast and light-weighted IDE"

What do you like best?

I am a Java developer and before migrating to Visual Studio Code I was working with Eclipse and Intellij, both of which are really good IDE for Java. The key point I think help vs code be a even better tool is that vs code is a light-weighted version vs, remaining covering almost every popular programming languages and presenting various libs and tools contributed by developers, but running even more stable and smoothly than Visual Studio.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to say vs code has some downsides but maybe the delay after keyboard input and cursor move could be kind of annoying. Fortunately it doesn't happen that frequently so I still can bear with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VS Code is a versatile and powerful IDE for cross-platform and multi-languages environment, inheriting almost all key advantages from VS and running stable and fast.

I use vs code to do my Java and C++ projects everyday. The benefit, as I mentioned before, is that vs code is so comprehensive that I don't have to change IDE to work with different languages.

Visual Studio Code review by Sita C.
Cloud Engineer

"Good IDE for multiple programming languages in single project."

What do you like best?

Visual studio code is a very good IDE which recently anaconda provided support of.It is very usefull especially while working with django project which requires html, css and python files to be viewed and edited at the same time to check the updates in real time of the project.The best thing about this is that you get console in the same window from where you can start the backend server also.It also has multiple environment setup options.

What do you dislike?

Nope it is all good IDE as per my requirement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good IDE for coding environement and it is open source product and one of the finest IDE by microsoft.It serves all the purpose of working on live project and manipulating multiple files with different programming languages at once.So I say that you should shift to visual studio code because it is no doubt the best IDE.

I am using visual studio code as my primary IDE for development and according to me it has many benefits like I can have python and html file opened at the same time in same project so that I can make dependent changes in both the files.It supports almost all programming languages.

Visual Studio Code review by Mahesh K.
(10,001+ employees)

"Awesome Code Editor with Best Feature"

What do you like best?

Visual Studio code is best editor for my self. I am using this editor since 2017 & i can say that it has all the feature which is require in a editor. I like the most in this editor is its responsiveness & UI. Its support all the coding language. I used to write program in javascript & typescript in this visual studio code.It have very wide & good support because its developed by Microsoft corporation. Its feature like inbuilt terminal, git tab,debugging tab impress me most.I used to use all this feature regularly.

What do you dislike?

Although visual studio code has many feature but i dislike most is its keyboard shortcut & plug in management. sometime keyboard shortcut is confusing because it have a lot of shortcut so we can't use all.In plugin we sometime got confused which one is best for use

Recommendations to others considering the product

As Visual studio code has great feature & best IDE editor so I will suggest to my friends & colleague to use this tool to their development.

In our organization we use to code multiple files & multiple project so we use visual editor it will support multiple window & split tabs so we can write the code simultaneously. It is solving our problem of concurrent coding. visual studio code gives us many benefits because its free of cost so its giving our organization to growth very rapidly.it is very powerful IDE so we can developed many project using this.

Visual Studio Code review by Gopal Z.
Sharepoint Developer

"Very powerful and rich IDE"

What do you like best?

It is very powerful and easy to use IDE.This is best editor.It is very light.It is very versatile , fast and easy to install and very easy to learn. You are using GIT in developing and conflict resolve option is most likely to having in this editor , it is easy to resolve conflict in this editor.

What do you dislike?

Visual studio code gives great amount of customization for developing purpose, It is quite difficult for developers who don't know very well to understand and get very well. The shortcut key interface for keyboard commands is very unobtainable and really mixed up.Sometimes some extensions get buggy and fail on startup of IDE and I have to restart it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am recommending every developers and company heads to use this IDE, It is really good.

I can work on multiple coding files by splitting the editor in two tabs as opposed to having different windows open and it is very useful.There are many plugins and extensions available in this IDE.

Visual Studio Code review by Jainil D.
Software Engineer

"An editor for all type of Development."

What do you like best?

Its very lightweight and power packed editor. Visual studio code offers a great range of extensions for whatever development you are doing, through the extension manager you can install numerous useful extensions. VS Code is very fast, it hardly takes any time to load on windows compared to other editors. Themes are also available. Its git integration is very useful and is something i use the most.

What do you dislike?

Performance is quite lagging at time, since Visual studio code offers great amount of customization, its quite difficult for newbies to understand them all. I also feel its quite expensive compared to other editors. Database integrated projects are quite difficult to develop on VS code.It uses quite a lot of RAM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try using as many extensions as possible, they are very helpful. Don't install extensions which you don't use, its will make your start up of Visual Studio Code slower. Try deploy reloaded if you work on remote machines.

I use it to develop small and large projects.

Visual Studio Code review by Ava C.
Undergraduate Researcher
Higher Education
(Myself Only)

"Love Visual Studio code for all types of coding"

What do you like best?

I like the style and design the best. It's easy to look at and tab through many codes that I have open. The debugging tools and stylish tools are helpful in making clean and efficient code. It is black with neon text which makes it easy on the eyes at all times of day.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how cpu intensive it is. VS code can be very draining on my laptop battery. I find that I can only run VS code for a couple hours and that it overheats my laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend VS code! It has helped me in languages such as Java, C, C++, and Python. If you're a student, young professional or just looking for a new way to code I would recommend VS code. Works well with my mac book pro and with my Dell desktop. I have github integrated as well to have more collaborative coding.

It's free and easy to use and understand

Visual Studio Code review by Trevor F.
Managing Partner

"Visual Studio Code is the ultimate text editor for website development"

What do you like best?

I love how VScode nailed the important main features of being a great text editor. Their plugin library is well thought out and has a great open source community. The built-in git support and terminal makes the application useful when tracking merges on larger projects. VScode also offers a really great UI that runs fast and without bugs on any platform.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the keyboard commands mostly. They are much harder to remember and don't make much sense for the hands compared to apps like Sublime Text. The interface for keyboard commands is also horrible and really mixed up. This system could be improved a lot in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering VS code you should definitely take the leap and focus on it. It's industry standard software that most great website developers use today. You can download sublime text and run it next to vscode to see what you are missing as a consumer and why people are switching to VScode every day.

Visual Studio Code is my daily code editor and helps solve the problem of writing code efficiently. There are huge benefits to being able to program application efficiently for my clients. I have realized that having a great set of tools in one spot with a seamless UI makes your experience as a developer more pleasant.

Visual Studio Code review by Shannon D.
Senior Software Architect
Non-Profit Organization Management
(10,001+ employees)

"Free and Powerful! Visual Studio Code has finally replaced all my external code editors!"

What do you like best?

Its a very easy to use and powerful development tool for all platforms. Whether you are running on Mac, PC, or Linux, you can use Visual Studio Code. Its great when you need to edit a file on a PC but don't want to get involved in having to load a big tool like Visual Studio Enterprise. For open source projects its an essential. It replaced Notepad, SlickEdit, and Sublime on all my machines! I use it daily and often and it provides me a slick clean and frequently updated interface for doing all my coding outside of Visual Studio. GREAT for HTML editing on the fly too! Cant wait to use even more of it's features such as GIT integration in the next open source project I have. Once extensions for it blossom this will be even more of a killer tool.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a few more features of its big brother such as code completion. Its a bit hard to configure settings for since it is a config file instead of a UI editor. Other than that, for what it does for FREE and cross platform. You cant knock it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some classes on Pluralsight on how to best get into using this and install this bad boy on all your boxes!

Quick and dirty code editing when a Visual Studio or other big development environment is not needed. Its benefit is that it has replaced most of the other editors I used to purchase!

Visual Studio Code review by Jonathan S.

"Surprisingly Feature-Rich IDE"

What do you like best?

While I was skeptical at first given that it was a free Microsoft product, I have been extremely happy with VS Code, specifically for NodeJS development. The built-in debugging capabilities along with the rich selection of high-quality third-party extensions (looking at you vim keybindings!) make this editor a pleasure to use.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned, I primarily use it for NodeJS development, but I still continue to use other tools for other languages. I just haven't found any of the other language support to be nearly up to par. This is partly due to the reliance on third-party extensions for multi-language support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it about a week and you'll learn to love it too!

With VS Code, I'm able to more efficiently write and debug JavaScript code than with any of the other alternatives that I have tried. This increased productivity is worth adding yet another tool to my toolbox.

Visual Studio Code review by Mauro R.
Developer

"Super versatile editor for all your coding needs"

What do you like best?

I like a lot of things about Code. It is VERY customizable. There are a huge number of extensions out there or you can write your own. Being able to write scripts that customize the editor allow you to optimize/speed up your own processes and tailor the editor to the way you like to work, either by simply adding color coding to the code you're writing or even adding your own shortcodes for tasks you do frequently or repeatedly.

Additionally, it integrates to a number of languages and frameworks, for example Javascript/Typescript/NativeScript, making my life as a developer a lot easier, since I don't have to keep switching to the console and using command line commands every time I want to compile my code.

What do you dislike?

The sheer number of options and commands the editor supports can be a little overwhelming and are not exactly intuitive. I have to have a number of cheatsheets on hand depending on what I'm working on, so I can do what I need. But I don't really know how else to incorporate so much functionality, so this is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not a beginner's editor. It's very powerful, but the learning curve to use it well can be steep. Worth learning, though.

I've used Code to write a number of different applications, from PHP scripts to Javascript using Nativescript or Flutter. I even used it to view and edit Markdown files. Code is very, very flexible.

Visual Studio Code review by Rita B.
Junior Front-End Web Developer

"Switched from Atom and never looked back!"

What do you like best?

Everything! This is not an over exaggeration. I work directly on my laptop more than I do with it hooked up to two monitors and I'm not a huge fan of using the split screen on my Macbook. I bring this up because I used to have to keep a separate terminal window open or use an Atom package that didn't always work. So I love that VSCode came with an integrated terminal and that I can set it up to use what ever shell I prefer.

What do you dislike?

There's honestly not much if anything I can think of to dislike about VSCode. Sometimes some extensions get buggy and fail on startup but I believe that's more to do with the extension than VSCode. I've mostly experienced this problem with the Live Server plugin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find extensions that will make your workflow easier depending on the type of programming you do. I recommend Bracket Pair Colorizer and indent-rainbow. Also, I'd highly recommend the Settings Sync extension so you can save your VSCode settings (including all your extensions) to a Github Gist. This way you'll have access to your setting even if you're using VSCode on a different computer.

I'm able to work faster by having my sites live reload in the browser as I make changes. I'm able to distinguish different file types by using file icons that or aesthetically pleasing while still being concise. I can work on multiple files by splitting the editor tabs as opposed to having different windows open. The major problem solver for me is the integrated terminal. I spend a lot of my time working in the terminal because it's time consuming for me to use GUI to add folder, files, etc and also run Git commands. I install npm packages for different projects as well as install applications using Homebrew so it's nice to not need to switch screens or reduce my screen real estate just to use the terminal.

Visual Studio Code review by Sanket S.
Senior Software Engineer

"Good code editor for web development"

What do you like best?

It is lightning fast source code editor. It has built-in support for Node.js development with JavaScript and TypeScript. So basically it is good for web development. The best part is you can install any number of third-party extensions which helps you in faster development. Command Palette is the one of the powerful utilities of VS Code.

What do you dislike?

There are some extensions which are buggy. But this is more of a issues of extensions that VS Code. Apart from that there is not much anything which I can think of to dislike about VS Code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are web developer using Angular/Node frameworks then this editor is for you. It has great variety extensions which helps you to make the development faster.

I use it for the development of web application specifically Angular, Node applications. Moreover the extensions are helping me to make the development faster.

Visual Studio Code review by Erue D.
IT Consultant

"most complete code editor in plain text format"

What do you like best?

--Easy to use.

--Ability to color the different types of source codes.

--Identify the labels if they are well defined.

--It allows its functions better by using add-ons.

--The sample of the tree type files is excellent to have better access to them.

--It is multiplatform you can use it in window, linux or macos.

--You can edit almost anything with it.

--Git integration is very convenient

What do you dislike?

--It is not Open Source.

--In the Ubuntu it is only possible to execute it as root, and found with a series of errors that make it impossible to use it continuously.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VSCode has a nice ecosystem of extensions. The management of extensions is incorporated, and there are already several thousand available!, Which allows us to use it and adapt it to our comfort, besides it is from Microsoft which at least ensures stability and security in the window.

The debugging feature mentioned above was delightful. I also set part of the completion of the IntelliSense typography that (although it was difficult to configure initially) began to show its benefits in about a day. I could already write the name of a function without having to remember the arguments (or their types). we use it generally to edit code of projects made in visual studio ide.

Visual Studio Code review by Juan C.
It Professional

"the most complete code editor"

What do you like best?

the best editor without a doubt, is compatible with almost all the programming languages of the market, you can edit visual studio code as well as others that are not from Microsoft such as php, Javascript, Python, Ruby, Html Almost anything. The real-time editor also allows you to color start and end functions, as well as labels allowing you to keep all the code well ordered.

What do you dislike?

sometimes it gets a bit slow but it has more to do with the resources of the computer I think there is nothing negative to say.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VS code works great, it is also open source, it has many functions. It is expandable by means of plugins, it is compatible with different operating systems, with constant updates, I highly recommend it to the entire community of developers, regardless of the development code.

we use visual studio ide for large projects, but visual studio code falls like a glove, sometimes we want to make small adjustments or specific editions it is not necessary to use IDE because it is very heavy, however visual studio code is very lightweight being able to install everywhere in linux, and solve any problem regardless of the place or the programming language.

Visual Studio Code review by Aditya D.
Co-Founder and Android Developer

"An IDE that can (almost) do anything"

What do you like best?

The IDE is quite light( not as light as Sublime, but not as heavy as the others). The IDE itself doesn't come with all the bells and whistles of Fancy and heavy IDEs like autocomplete and other features, but the best part about Visual Studio Code is that there is an active community that churns out extensions. And the extensions are what make Visual Studio Code standout!

And it is available on the three major OS platforms.

What do you dislike?

Now, there comes some extensions that have that irritatingly recurrent bug, and they tend to go unfixed for a pretty long amount of time.

Sometimes there are too many iterations of the same extension, and unless viewed properly we might just download the wrong one.

So if only Visual Studio could verify and put the most used(or trusted) extensions with some sort of marking, it could make a lot of difference for the beginners. Else, it just takes a hell lot of time to set up the environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First try Sublime, then come to VSC. You can notice the difference that the extensions and the numerous features that you were missing on Sublime Text

Well currently it can be tailored to any coding platform that you want it to be, even Android. Visual studio comes inbuilt with support for the MEAN stack so, currently work has been limited to Python and MEAN stack app/website development.

Visual Studio Code review by Marisol C.
Director of Development
Internet

"I love this text editor"

What do you like best?

It has all the basic functions of every editor but I love the advanced code debugger, which allows me to know all the errors in real time. You can install add-ons compatible with all programming languages. It is very versatile and fast, very easy to install and learn. It is open source.

What do you dislike?

I almost do not find cons to this software, except that it consumes a lot of ram when you have many add-ons installed. Of the rest I love this software and I recommend it to everyone. The initial load is usually a bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to all developers and department heads. The software performs very well, is open source and has many free updates. It is expandable in terms of functions through the plugins and is very easy to use.

In my work we have adopted the installation of Visual Studio Code almost in all the PCs, but keeping the taste of each programmer of course. The software has adapted very well and we have almost no complaints from our programmers, but we have received many compliments.

Visual Studio Code review by Mayur P.
PHP Developer

"Me and My Editor : Visual Studio Code"

What do you like best?

This editor is one of the fastest editor and support more than one plugins at a time.

Writing Django and python codes is a lot easier with it. I have been doing front end development with visual code and i have not faced any problem till now. also when you are using GIT and conflict option is most like in this editor. it is easy to resolve conflict in this editor.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes PC get hang and we have to force close application. Other than that i have not faced any issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ye sure i will Recommend all the Developers to use this editor because it is very much easy to use and so much of plugins are available , Terminal is also inbuild so this is very much useful while you are working with laravel and nodejs platform.

I would like everyone to use this editor because it suppots multiple terminal in built, git plugin just install and project will connect with git. Also there are so many plugins are there.

Visual Studio Code review by Er.Shailendra s.
Asst.Manager

"My experience with Visual Studio Code"

What do you like best?

This editor is dynamic and fast. It has an easy to use interface. It is specially used for doing web development. It has all the capabilities and features which will be needed for front end and back end development.We can add addons in it. Writing Django and python codes is a lot easier with it. I have been doing front end development with visual code and i have not faced any problem till now.

What do you dislike?

Visual studio code can sometimes make your computer lag since it uses a lot of computer resources. It can be difficult to work on different applications concurrently with VSC. More themes must be available for it. Other than this, i have not faced any problem and it works like a charm.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend everyone to use VSC for web development due to it's extra-ordinary features which it provides. It will be made even more better in the future surpassing other editors in market.

I am currently writing Python,Html, CSS code using visual studio code for our company website. We also maintain our databases with back end languages written using VSC. It provides a secure environment for development purposes and has catered to all our needs.

Visual Studio Code review by Pedro G.
Docente
(10,001+ employees)

"Visual Studio Code is a powerful and complete alternative if you need a code editor to program."

What do you like best?

It is super light, its time to start is quite short.

You can open folders with large files and visualize them with fluidity and speed.

It allows you to customize the background of the text editor.

You can add a variety of plugins to extend its functionality.

It gives you all the typical options for text editors, such as searching for words in the text, etc.

What do you dislike?

Although it is fast and light, it may take a little while to open a very large file and it may take a little while for your preview to appear.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual Studio Code is an excellent choice if you are looking for a good code editor to program applications. It is simple to use, lightweight, fast and allows you to install a large number of super useful plugins.

Development of web applications for online learning. It highlights the syntax of different programming languages, thus facilitating the development of applications. It's fairly simple to use and lightweight so it will help you do your job faster.

Visual Studio Code review by Saksham G.
Information Technology Specialist
(10,001+ employees)

"Best Editor For Web Application Development"

What do you like best?

Visual Studio Code is a free editor with a lot of cool features. Back End development is so easy on this editor. Plugins and extensions can directly be installed on it for Back end development. It has a good user interface and it is easy to use. It has built in Git and the code is very readable in it. It is highly customizable, and it is updated with new features on a regular basis and it also has nice debugging features which makes it the best editor.

What do you dislike?

It uses a lot of resources of my computer. It should be optimized to work on low-end PC''s smoothly. It is mainly used for Back-End Development and it must be also be optimised for Front-End Development as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend everyone to use visual studio code for development and coding purposes. It provides a lot of features and it will continue to develop in future, making it the best software for web development.

Visual Studio Code is free and and the user interface is also very good. It is the best software for web development in the market. We have made e-commerce websites using visual code and we are currently working on more projects using HTML, CSS, Javascript languages in Visual Studio Code Editor.

Visual Studio Code review by Gaurav B.
Software Trainee

"Great IDE for all purpose coding and web development "

What do you like best?

Very customizable user interface in visual studio code. for fats development it provides best user experience and extensions all programming languages and modules. we can customize all the things form font colors to design of visual studio code is what i like the best.

What do you dislike?

It is slow in mac-OS while using in other platforms works well. it is very difficult to learn from beginning but once you used to it you will love it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it has very nice panel for installing various extensions .It is not well suited for the beginner or noob in programming. Works best if you are already a developer or have knowledge about programming.

I am using visual studio code fro development in python and academic projects. I am working way faster then other IDE using visual studio code. provides best user experience.

Visual Studio Code review by Sara V.

"Visual Studio Code para la web de tu empresa."

What do you like best?

Sin lugar a dudas Visual Studio Code es el mejor programa gratuito que existe para poder Crear/Editar la pagina web de tu empresa. La posibilidad de poder crear y editar lenguajes como HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, PHP y MYSQL de forma gratuita creo que es la mejor de las ventajas con respecto a otros programas de diseño web. También combina dos características, fundamentales a mi parecer, como son la ligereza con la potencia. El mapa de archivo que tiene Visual Studio Code te permite navegar de forma rápida e intuitiva por el archivo.Posee atajos de teclado como otros editores que te hacen la vida mas fácil a la hora de editar o diseñar cualquier web.

What do you dislike?

Me he llevado muy buenas impresiones con Visual Studio Code como editor web , no tengo nada que pueda no gustarme de este programa, quizás el tener que añadir algunos complementos o plugins para que se usable sería uno de los pocos problemas con los que me he encontrado, pero esto ocurre en la mayoría de editores web.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si necesitas de un editor de código con un montón de complementos que te permita trabajar con cualquier lenguaje de programación, que funcione también en Microsoft Windows y que sea portable. Visual Studio Code es tu elección.

La facilidad con la que se aprende a manejar Visual Studio Code con conocimientos básicos de diseño web y poder realizar o editar la pagina web de mi empresa es uno de los mayores beneficios que hemos obtenido. No hace falta tener altos conocimientos de diferentes lenguajes de programacion para poder usar este programa. Su interfaz ayuda muchisimo ha obtener beneficios en un corto espacio de tiempo

Visual Studio Code review by Joan O.

"Your dream code software"

What do you like best?

The git integration is amazing.

It’s great for writing Markdown.

Emmet is integrated out of the box.

Even though they’re both built with Electron, it doesn’t have the same performance issues that have plagued Atom and it is built in terminal.

What do you dislike?

There is significant delay observed when the text cursor is responding to arrow keys on the keyboard.

More apparent is when you hold down the Left or Right Arrow keys, the text cursor jumps a couple of characters, instead of traversing through each character/letter in a word or a line of code.

When navigating code using Page Up or Page Down keys, there are times when code syntax highlighting would color all of the visible codes as 1 solid color, and it takes a while for the application to syntax-colorize the codes properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this over Sublime text, eclipse, neatbeans, atom... This is certainly better

We do some code there. The benefits are incredible, fast performance and good code

Visual Studio Code review by Antonio M.
CEO

"Easy to use and beautiful, with support for every language"

What do you like best?

I love the way that you can customize it a lot easily with tons of plugins and it has support for every coding language I use. Except for one that is GCODE, so I read the documentation and make myself the plugin. Now it's on the Plugin Store so everyone can download it and can use it with color coding easily. Seriously I love VS Code, it's my main IDE for everything.

Also the autocomplete module is really helpful, and the TypeScript module while you're programming in Node JS is a mind blowing function.

What do you dislike?

Even if it's almost perfect, it's a bit buggy sometimes... for instance, the python "autorefactor when you save" is a bit buggy and indent it when it shouldn't, so you have to disable this espec or the code will not work.

Other fact is that when you open very large files, it stops loading more so it gets in half.

Also the git implementation is bugged and if you use ssh with password it doesn't work.

With PHP it doesn't really helps at all compared with other IDE's like PHPStorm or Netbeans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using sublime or Atom switch to VS Code, it's really better.

I'm using it for coding and also text editing as it's really useful.

Visual Studio Code review by Neeraj B.
Software Developer
Retail

"Best IDE for writing code in any programming language..."

What do you like best?

It's lite weight, merely 50 MB in Linux still very powerful in terms of file searching, code formatting.

VS Code Git integration is superb, I am in love with this feature, line by line code difference and git UI interface makes version management amazingly fast.

Default intellisence for JS, TS and many more languages.

Open source, thousands of useful extensions are there which can make VS Code a better choice to code in any programming language.

Extensions + keyboard shortcuts pack from diff IDE like the atom, sublime, vim.

What do you dislike?

No drag and drop feature, I can't simply drag and drop files like Visual Studio. At least feature to drag n drop CSS and JS files in HTML file must include.

Debugging is really difficult, however they provide debugging facility, but I do try which won't help me, I suggest that VS Code team may enhance this feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really fast and simple yet powerful IDE, it'll not use your system resources like other IDE.

I'm a full stack developer, I use VS Code daily for like 9-10 hrs, this is really powerful, I never feel to leave it and use some other tool.

Visual Studio Code review by Maria G.
Backend developer

"VS Code"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Visual Studio Code es un editor de texto/IDE de programación desarrollado y lanzado por Microsoft como una herramienta de código abierto. Este editor, como hemos dicho, ha sido desarrollado como software de código abierto y se distribuye sin ninguna limitación de forma totalmente gratuita. Se caracteriza por ser bastante más modular que el anterior. Por defecto, el editor cuenta con las funciones más básicas y elementales y está preparado para adaptarse a los principales lenguajes de programación más utilizados, como HTML/CSS o C. Sin embargo, su mayor potencial se encuentra en las extensiones, y es que desde el mismo editor vamos a poder acceder a una gran variedad de extensiones y complementos que nos va a permitir dotarle de las funciones y características que necesitemos, sin sobrecargar el editor.

What do you dislike?

Ahora mismo no se me ocurre ninguna desventaja que exista en Visual Studio. Las actualizaciones lo mejoran cada vez mas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IntelliSense, una función que nos permite desde resaltar la sintaxis de nuestros proyectos hasta hacer uso de auto-completar funciones, controlar nuestras variables y, además, ver definiciones de las funciones de los distintos lenguajes de programación. Cuenta con un avanzado depurador de código que nos permite conocer todos los problemas y errores en tiempo real, ayudándonos a identificar estos problemas y solucionarlos. Se integra en Git. Nos permite versionar nuestros trabajos fácilmente desde esta plataforma. Gracias a sus módulos, es compatible con prácticamente cualquier lenguaje de programación, desde los más conocidos hasta los más extraños de los que, probablemente, no hayamos oído hablar nunca.

Visual Studio Code ha cambiado la forma de desarrollar para web que yo conocia. Ahora me hace mucho mas sencillo y rapido el trabajo de implementar plugins, autocompletar acciones o implementar frameworks. Es una herramienta potente, poco pesada y que cumple todas mis espectativas.

Visual Studio Code review by Jonathan M.

"Awesome Editor with a few missing features"

What do you like best?

Visual Studio Code is a super well thought editor. It is now my main editor at choice at work - over Sublime, PyCharm, and Atom.

What do you dislike?

A few features are distinctly missing / don't work quite well in Vscode. For example, searching by class using Command-shift-r is spotty - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's much faster in Sublime. Also, searching by function across the codebase isn't a thing. My CTO yells at me because these 2 features don't really exist when he is using my computer (I still think the rest of the benefits outweigh this drawback, though).

Additionally, I would like more syntax suggestions for Python, although that may not be so much Vscode itself, but rather an extension

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should absolutely use this editor if you are a full stack developer. From a built in Jest test runner and debugger (this is HUGE), gitlense, great file browser, great syntax highlighting for javascript, its just really really good. Only a few things make this editor not supreme, such as lack of good search by class/token (at least with our configuration, although I spent some time trying to get this to work with partial success).

I rely on VScode everyday to develop. There are many many benefits - one in particular is Gitlens, which allows me to get a git diff on every single line. This is huge - this gives the code an additional layer, beyond what is written in the file. This feature lets me triage errors and bugs faster because I can quickly see what files have changed most recently, which is often the cause of many bugs.

Visual Studio Code review by Greg G.
Co-Founder and CEO

"Best Text Editor Around"

What do you like best?

VS Code is simple, fast, and it doesn't crash. It doesn't make my computer overheat and it works great with my integrated system. I love the design, user plugins, and the quick setup. Most of all, though, it doesn't crash. When I was running Atom (a similar text editor from GitHub), my it crashed frequently - interrupting my work and slowing everything down. That doesn't happen with VSCode.

Oh, the git integration is also great.

What do you dislike?

It's not a full blown IDE, so I don't think this is a fair thing to compare about, but sometimes it is kind of dumb. It has options to look at a function definition, but then nothing will come up. This is most likely because it doesn't interact well with .rb.erb files (Embedded ruby files - what I often use), but I'd still like to see it fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free - you might as well try it. If you don't like it, switching back is not hard. It doesn't add any weird things to your files that may cause problems.

It's a great alternative to Atom or Sublime, and it's free. The community is helpful, the keyboard shortcuts are customizable, and I love it.

Visual Studio Code review by Shubhra M.
Lead Software Developer