What do you like best?
VS Code offers seamless integration for ultimately everything! Nobody likes working with a featureless editor, so Microsoft has done a perfect job at providing something everyone can benefit from. Out of the box, VS Code comes with Emmet, integration with Git, a wide range of customizable options for every extension and layout of the program, and so much more.
Here's what I love most:
1. A wide range of extensions and customizability.
2. Lightweight and never crashes (all work is saved within cache even if you never saved it as a file).
3. Debugging makes solving issues hassle free.
4. Integrated terminal with the ability to add your own.
5. The wonderful community is always there to answer your questions if you have a problem!
6. VS Code is open-source and a community-driven project.
7. Works on all platforms. (Mac, Windows, and Linux)
8. Developers pay attention to issues & feedback.
9. Very clean UI making it easy to personalize to your own liking.
10. Many shortcuts to shorten the tasks you'd normally do manually.
What do you dislike?
Since this program hasn't been around for the longest time, it is being developed constantly. With that being said, I do find it to be a little buggy here and there. Yeah, it does support many languages; however, you have to install a bunch of extensions to really expand upon what's already there. It would be great if the community picked their most used languages and voted on the ones to be included upon install.
- A slight delay exists in opening files/huge folders.
- Git being directly integrated with VS Code takes a little bit of an initial set-up to get used to.
- Some extensions could be expanded on.
- Debugging takes time to get used to.
Recommendations to others considering the product
Invest your time in learning the in and outs, you won't regret it.
- Change the UI to your needs. I feel like altering the look to what my eyes want to look at every day has greatly improved my motivation.
- Learn the shortcuts. For a task you can complete with your mouse in 15 seconds, a key combo can do it in less than 2.
- Use this to begin coding if you aren't already, you will find it very inspiring.
- Take advantage of what's in front of you! If you find that you're having an issue with something, search Google or StackOverflow. VS Code is filled with an amazing community waiting to help you.
- Be a part of the growing community to show your support/interest!
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
In the past, I would always rely on Atom; however, VS Code has proven to be such a breeze to work in terms of ease and accessibility. I have noticed a huge improvement in my workflow, potential, and capability using VS Code. IntelliSense is the most important part of getting quicker tasks done in a short amount of time for me. For a template you'd normally type out manually (or copy and paste), I type a shortcode and complete the autofill in a matter of seconds.