Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Visual Studio

(1,708 reviews)

Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing console and graphical user interface applications along with Windows Forms or WPF applications, web sites, web applications, and web services.

Work for Visual Studio?

Learning about Visual Studio?

Visual Studio Reviews

Showing 1,783 Visual Studio reviews
Visual Studio review by Alex K.
Alex K.

"Simplicity and power in one"

What do you like best?

This IDE from Microsoft is unparalleled in it's overall ease of use. Microsoft's Visual Studio provides both new and experienced developers alike a simple experience to create powerful Windows applications, and more. With the introduction of .NET Core, it's easy to develop cross-platform applications in the languages you are already comfortable with. Developing native Windows applications with beautiful UIs and advanced and complicated functions has never been easier. Microsoft has perfected this software and continues to do so with regular updates, new features, and more recently, a free version of the software, allowing more people to get involved with programming. It's never been this easy to get started coding. Already know your way around some code? Well, not a problem. Microsoft has you covered there, too. With advanced functions, NuGet libraries to expand your programs' capabilities, lower level system access, and plenty of other features, you can get what you're looking to do done faster, more efficient, and more beautiful.

What do you dislike?

Visual Studio has little negatives to it. One thing I've found to be fairly difficult to understand at times is the official documentation. Sometimes it can be poorly explained, with little to no examples available. This can make it difficult to learn new concepts and discouraging to keep going when you're struggling. Fortunately, however, the online community documentation is probably one of the most expensive, right up there with the likes of PHP and other legendary languages with more user supported content and tutorials than any official documentation could ever cover or contain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a simple to use but powerful and extensive software development environment, look no further. You've found it. You're home. From the simple to the advanced, you're sure to find that this program will meet your needs. With a little searching online to get you started, it's super simple to dip your feet in, and in no time, you'll feel masterful. Youtube tutorials, StackOverflow, and other resources are ripe with information, resources, and examples to help get you started.

Any time myself, my clients, or my business needs to solve a simple problem, this software helps us create a solution in no time at all, with an elegant and simple to use and understand user interface. More complex problems are still easily resolved with Visual Studio, and can take a little more time to produce, but still come out substantially faster than developing your applications from scratch in any other IDE. Windows programmers and developers will find Visual Studio to be a godsend in terms of solving quick problems, anything from disabling the Caps Lock key programmatically, to creating advanced networking and interfacing solutions. Not a Windows user? Try looking into .NET Core. It's free, open source, and cross platform. It'll help you solve the same problems on any OS in the languages you already love from Visual Studio.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Visual Studio
Visual Studio review by Gabriel C.
Gabriel C.

"I really like using Visual Studio Code"

What do you like best?

Visual Studio Code I like it too much since it has plugins for everything that is required, it has very good integration with the git system that allows you to version the code, it has integration with a console where you can debug your code, you can install plugins that help you in the development.

What I like the most is that it has improved a lot over time, it occupies less resources than before, that makes the developments more effective, the editing of the code is better with visual studio than with any other code editor.

In our company we always take visual studio to edit our web development projects and we love it, we always recommend it :)

What do you dislike?

Something that we disliked at the beginning of visual studio code was the high consumption of resources, it became extremely slow when editing code on a computer with 4gb of ram, but as it matured visual studio were decreasing the use of resources, I currently consider that's not a problem anymore, Microsoft really did a great job working on developing visual studio code! : D

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si estás buscando el mejor editor de código del mundo, te recomiendo usar visual studio code, es rápido, sencillo de usar y tiene una perfecta integración con el sistema git, te ahorrara demasiado tiempo al momento de editar código.

808/5000

For months we used sublime text 3 (competition of visual studio), it became a problem since there was very little personalization and there comes a time when you question if sublime text is professional, then we made an analysis and noticed that visual studio code was for a long time better than sublime, we decided to try it and nowadays it helps us solve a major problem in our company: git version control, saves time, money and effort since by default it covers all the code automatically and we do not have to make a double effort in versioning it on our own.

visual studio code helps us a lot in making integrations with github and other code versioning software, we love using visual studio code for that! It is the best code editor.

What Java Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Visual Studio review by Timothy V.
Timothy V.

"A Great Tool for Microsoft Software Development"

What do you like best?

The flexibility in languages and ability to deploy to multiple platforms. You can choose from many different language and then have the packages for those languages installed on your system. You can also just start with one language and focus on that. It supports older languages like C++ and Visual Basic but also more modern solutions like C#. It also supports modern platforms like .NET

What do you dislike?

It's bloated and carries a very hefty footprint. It takes quite a long time to install and then once it's finished it takes up a lot of space on your hard drive. Additionally, the projects themselves, which Microsoft calls solutions, are very bloated and hard to push into a version control system without creating a ignore file which allows you to ignore parts of the solution file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you'd like to work with a new language I'd recommend checking out Visual Studio Code instead.

Developing and deploying software. We start by first developing our source code. Then we use Visual Studio to debug our code. Then we use visual studio to push our code to a version control repository. Once we have fully vetted our code we will then deploy to a build server which will kick off our build process. We also use visual studio to create side projects or try out new features which aren't part of our primary application. Because of this we've found Visual Studio to be a very versatile tool.

Visual Studio review by Sean W.
Sean W.

"The Best, Most Complete IDE"

What do you like best?

They've pretty much thought of everything with this IDE. Intellisense, Edit and Continue debugging, peaking at code in another file, on the fly error checking, integrated publishing are some of the features I like the best and use the most. Compile time is very fast and errors are quickly pointed out with suggestions to fix. Importing code from other sources like Git and NuGet is seamless.

Overall the product is very versatile and can handle multiple target platforms easily.

What do you dislike?

The product is immense - it can be difficult to find the specific function if I don't use that function very often. Sometimes, I feel it tries to do too much and, occasionally, the product will crash and that can be difficult to diagnose. However, recovery works pretty well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've not used the Express version which is free. The professional version is packed with an incredible amount of functionality. Buying a book on Visual Studio is recommended to help identify the important, daily functions without getting distracted by the occasional use items.

I work in a small manufacturing environment of a low tech product but we use high tech to help us build, manage and ship these low tech products. We have a very small team of developers and are asked to do quite a bit which we love. VS gives me the tools I need to add as little or as much functionality as I need to work in a small (or mostly solo) team environment. As a result, we're able to process data in a very similar manner as much larger companies at a fraction of the cost.

Visual Studio review by Thomas A.
Thomas A.

"An IDE ahead of the game"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and fairly lightweight for a Microsoft product. It's not just great for C languages, Visual Studio Code is a great system for full stack developing. It gives me the ease of controlling my projects through good planning. Its versions have also made significant improvements over the years.

What do you dislike?

It is a heavy program that requires a lot of system resources to function properly, which involves an excessive loading time in some larger projects, sometimes even blocking the load. Also Microsoft has the tendency to overdo their products, so there a re a lot of features included in the base installation that will never be used by the average user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is indeed the best tool I have ever come across. Possibilities are endless, from legacy WinForms apps to Web Apps and services, Visual Studio is able to provide you with an easy to use, stable and reliable platform to build your apps on.

I use this for basic inhouse application creation at the company I work for, so I don't have a ton of experience for enterprise applications but I will say that Visual Studio is miles ahead of most other IDEs. It has allowed me to create systems quickly no matter their size or difficulty.

Visual Studio review by Ron Beau P.
Ron Beau P.

"Good, but quirky"

What do you like best?

Extensible - I can add templates, toolbox items, project types etc,

What do you dislike?

It wants to "straighten out" XML files that seem to create problems with 3rd party products, such as the BizTalk Deploy Framework. Search is pretty weak - search within a document and across a whole project or solution are completely different things. Some tools seem to corrupt a file often enough that it's a serious bug (the XSLT map builder for example).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider using an editor like notepad++ for text files. Be very careful with TFS/Azure DevOps, once you put code in it really hates it if you try to move the physical path of the code.

I develop systems integrations using BizTalk/.NET/SQL Server. I usually create a solution in Visual Studio I can share with my offshore team to use as a template for similar integrations. Typical challenges are putting facades on legacy systems, translating between applications within the enterprise, and secure communication of data across the cloud.

Visual Studio review by Taylor L.
Taylor L.

"Visual Studio is tailored for developers"

What do you like best?

Visual Studio is lightweight and easy-to-use. Visual Studio Code, especially, is one of the best IDEs I've ever used. It's grid system, which allows its developers to organization several tabs within the same window - is very useful when developing full stack. Other editors I've used in the past, including WebStorm, feel clunky and slow. Best of all, it's free; there are no yearly subscriptions.

My personal favorite features is its out-of-box support for Git. We're able to view all Git changes - files and lines of code that have been added, modified, or deleted - all within the editor.

Lastly, although this isn't used much within the organization, Visual Studio Code's Live Share

What do you dislike?

Because the Visual Studio suite is so lightweight, it lacks key features and its developers are required to use third-party extensions to complete the experience it should have to begin with. An extension is required to duplicate a file in Visual Studio Code. Rudimentary features like that should come out-of-box.

More importantly, its IntelliSense needs an improvement. Files that contain over several hundred lines of code show a significant decrease in performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual Studio is great for both standardization across an organization and individual programming.

Code standardization is the most significant reason why we use Visual Studio. Because we all use Visual Studio, we're able to standardize our codebase for ease of review and further development.

Visual Studio review by José J. R.
José J. R.

"Una de las mejores Suite de Programación que existe en el mercado de desarrollo de software"

What do you like best?

Como una de las herramientas del paquete Microsoft, Visual Studio ofrece grandes propiedades, lo que la hace ser una de las aplicaciones bastante empleadas en el mundo del desarrollo de software. Que me gusta de esta aplicación. Que uno se adapta rápidamente a ella. Todo lo mantiene en un solo ambiente de trabajo. Cuando construyo una solución informática puedo manejar distintos proyectos a la vez. A través del Nuget, puedo buscar varios frameworks y aplicativos desde unos viejos a otros más actualizados con los cuales es compatible. Como desarrollador de software puedo buscar las distintas versiones de un producto, descargarlas, instalarlas y usar la que necesito para un proyecto determinado, sin mayor dificultad.

What do you dislike?

Insisto en que Visual Studio es una excelente herramienta de trabajo. Pero todo tiene un detalle. Es algo pesada. Consume muchos recursos de máquina. Se necesita un muy buen equipo para tener un buen rendimiento de la aplicación. Si la máquina es lenta, instalar y cargar Visual Studio es lento también.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual Studio es una herramienta poderosísima, compatible con muchos frameworks, apps, códigos y lenguajes programación nativos. Puedes construir aplicaciones de cualquier tipo, desde aplicaciones de escritorio hasta páginas web. La recomiendo a cualquier empresa que desee dedicarse al desarrollo de software. Además, constantemente están actualizando la plataforma con nuevas y novedosas funcionalidades.

Como expresé con anterioridad, soy desarrollador de software, tengo años de experiencia en esta industria. Y he trabajado largo tiempo con Visual Studio, lo cual me ha permitido construir un sin número de aplicaciones de muy diverso tipo, como por ejemplo: POS, sistema de recursos humanos, páginas web, software contables, de inventario, sistema naviero, entre otros. Su costo es asociado a los beneficios obtenidos

Visual Studio review by Cory B.
Cory B.

"Why Visual Studio is harmonious for organizing objects"

What do you like best?

I love how Visual Studio lends itself to an easy to use set of tools that are both practical and rich in their complexity.

For instance, as a frequent user of java in my OOP coding projects, and for my own personal proprietary software, I enjoy implementing the newest libraries in my JDK packages, which I always make sure to update with some frequency. The layout of Visual Studios makes it easy to work on many complex projects at once with easy to read groupings.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how many updates I need in order for the software to function properly, but I understand that this is a necessity for keeping up to date with the latest and greatest in software development.

I also wish Visual Studio loaded a little bit more quickly. And I wish it were easier to debug line by line, with more possible interaction of stop line symbols.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that others make sure that their operating system is up to date as well as all the annoying mac OSX java updates, including legacy updates. These factors can influence how easy it is to use the already provided libraries with Visual Studio.

I enjoy cutting the time I use writing code in half. This gives me more time to throughly design a system well in advance about how my various Objects will interact through encapsulation, polymorphism, etc. These are the things I need to spend my precious time on in order to have a well thought out and coherent vision. Visual Studio gives me tools and time I need to make this vision into a reality.

Visual Studio review by Cole L.
Cole L.

"Microsoft Visual Studio Changed My Life"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Visual Studio Has really changed my life. I was using applications like Np+++ to write simple html and CSS documents it was a real hassle. But then I found out Mircosoft Visual Studio and everything is so much easier. You Don't Have to remember closing tags or the exact syntax of a language. It's almost like it writes programs for you.

What do you dislike?

That Azure Dev Ops has a terrible pricing scale. Other than that nothing. The customer support could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it. If you have a company with more than 5 people you will need to figure out the weird pricing scale for Dev Ops.

Speed. It's Much faster to use Dev Ops especially for mobile app development and web development. Also we are able to have everyone using the Same Cloud and IDE. It works on mac and windows and in browser so its super easy to not have to worry about Xcode on windows for exapmle. It also integrates well with almost all other Dev Tools like GitHub.

Visual Studio review by Jack H.
Jack H.

"Microsoft Visual Studio"

What do you like best?

Visual studio is one of my favorite programs because it allows me to turn complex applications into mobile ones for easier use, the UI is simple and comfortable for most users too and easy since you have everything right at your hands, its autocomplete is good, also it is mult-ilanguage.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I didn't like was the installation process it took way too long, and it takes a lot of hard drive space, but disregarding these things it still makes it number one for developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this product to other companies just because of the ease of use with it. The product isn't cluttered or anything everything is just simplistic. Would definitely recommend this to beginners.

A benefit ive seen was turning applications into mobile apps, its so easy and everything is just right there for you, our company uses this a lot to work together towards the end product of an application.

Visual Studio review by Sandesh B.
Sandesh B.

"Microsoft Visual Studio"

What do you like best?

I am currently using Visual Studio 2017 and there are multiple features which I love. I can list some of them here.

Mobile development option.

EditorConfig is now built into the IDE.

Visual Studio 2017 also comes with a new installer.

Live Unit Testing.

Built-in Docker support.

and finally, I love these Keyboard shortcuts for Visual Studio they are very helpful while developing the application.

What do you dislike?

I am really enjoying the journey of Visual Studio and it's hard to imagine my work life without Visual Studio but sometimes it gets slower when working with some heavy applications but that's manageable I really appreciate the effort of Visual Studio Team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very Handy tool to work on and it's having support for various plugins(Sonarcube, JetBrains products) you can also nowadays you develop mobile application using the latest Visual Studio.

we are developing and maintaining multiple applications in that majority of them are the in.Net platform, for example, web applications, desktop applications, web API's to name a few.

developing, deploying, Testing and maintaining the quality of the code is very easy with various visual studio tools and plugins.

Visual Studio review by Andrew A.
Andrew A.

"Intelligent and interactive development environment"

What do you like best?

Visual studio is one of the most complete development environments that I have used since it allows me to create from complex desktop software for windows to hybrid applications for mobile phones, its interface is very comfortable and intuitive since you have all the tools at hand, It has a good autocomplete and an excellent debugger, also it is multilanguage.

What do you dislike?

The only thing against this IDE is that its installation can take a long time, in addition to requiring a large capacity of free space on the hard drive, leaving aside these things, it remains one of the best tools for programmers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe I have to have some programming knowledge in .NET to use some of the tools that this IDE has.

I have been able to develop many applications for mobile phones with the C # language without problems, in addition, we have used it a lot to program collaboratively in the network of work.

Visual Studio review by Barry G.
Barry G.

"It is a one-of-kind IDE with one of the best debuggers out there"

What do you like best?

Visual Studio has great debugging tools and features. It is reliable. It has competitive C/C++ compilers. It supports an incredible depth of technologies and platforms that you could develop applications for. The product and its related compilers are actively developed. There are new upgrades, product releases, and new features added all the time. New versions of Visual Studio have good git source control support. Those have worked a lot better than third party git extensions. I would still advise users to learn how to really use git and use git for Windows instead but Visual Studio makes it easy to see version history and diffs without going to the command line, which, I thought was helpful.

You do not have to use everything in Visual Studio and as a user you have the ability to cherry pick what features you want to use and disable other features e.g. you could use it just for debugging applications (just the debugger). There are many configuration options which can be good and bad but it's easy to export & import your configuration settings.

I much prefer the experience in Visual Studio to NetBeans, Eclipse, RAD Studio

What do you dislike?

There are many product releases these days and in this new era Visual Studio requires that you log into it and be connected to the internet. The product is very expensive especially if you want to use the premium features, this stinks for non-enterprise users.

Visual Studio does crash every now and then or get into crazy states where you have to restart it or your whole computer. Sometimes the user is to blame and other times it's software glitches or bugs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the go-to product for software development on Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft technologies.

It has one of the best debuggers that you could ask for. New Visual Studio product releases are including more and more support for non-Microsoft platforms. New releases are also increasingly allowing you to ship the same software to multiple platforms while maintaining a single codebase.

I am able to build applications using Visual Studio. I am able to debug applications. I am able to devise build scripts and deploy plans for applications. I have tools available to me within Visual Studio that make it easier to refactor code. There are features for doing code audits or code metrics.

Visual Studio's IntelliSense makes it a lot easier to find stuff in a software project.

Visual Studio review by Gabriel C.
Gabriel C.

"The best code editor in Linux and Windows"

What do you like best?

There are several points for which I like Visual Studio Code:

1.- Its simplicity, it is very easy to start coding with the

2.- Its plugins, there are many variety of plugins available in your store

3.- It's free, being open source I like it

4.- Made by Microsoft

What do you dislike?

Being honest there are very few things that I dislike, only that at first it was slow if you edited many files, apparently it was a ram problem, but with recent updates that is no longer a problem, in general I highly recommend it

Recommendations to others considering the product

the best editor of code into world

Visual studio code saves me a lot of time, makes my developments more intuitive, more organized, faster, better structured, my skills as a programmer have risen considerably thanks to saving time with visual studio code.

I like it too much and I highly recommend it

Visual Studio review by Rahul B.
Rahul B.

"Best in class microsoft project compiler which inclined to themself "

What do you like best?

The code assistant feature is the best thing what Visual Studio provides. It has got best in class real time code compiler which check for syntax and error before you actually compile the code. It has integrated libraries of most of the microsoft programming languages which avoid dependencies from downloading the libraries.

What do you dislike?

The software is very heavy for a normal use and requires lots of memory space as well as laggy on the system with low memory requirements. On laptop computers it consumes so much of processing power and RAM that it drains the battery very fast. There should have some lighter version of light memory users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great IDE in case the requirement is using microsoft specific language, comes with cost as well as processor power and memory hungry, in the end does the job well. In case you are user with beginner in coding any of the microsoft specific language this is for you but beware that most the code part is automatically written so you might tend to not learn the programming, which in contrast if very good for quick programming.

Compilation of c++ is the best feature I have use. Along with it IDE it is very good and helpful to write the c++ codes. It's intelligent feature of giving code snippets save lots of time, however on the cost of memory. All in all, except the memory issues, the tool does the job very well.

Visual Studio review by Bao-Toan L.
Bao-Toan L.

"It's a great tool for application development"

What do you like best?

I like that it has the ability to host a huge range of different programming languages and that you the possibilities are endless to it's uses. I also like the forms and how the structure is similar to light room in that you can have are easily to hide and show windows. I like the error list because it helps fix somethings I forgot to add.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that how hard it can be to learn and use. There isn't enough tutorials in learning the programs and when it comes to debugging it is really difficult. It's suggestion for fixing the problem doesn't actually work and doesn't fix the problem. It's hard for beginners to learn on the fly and needs a lot of time to understand how to actually use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Youtube has a wealth of videos on application development

I helps with the ability to make customizable apps that will be useful in the future when I need to use it for my business.

Visual Studio review by Brian K.
Brian K.

"Visual Studio is all you need"

What do you like best?

On Visual Studio IDE you can code in variety of programming languages. This is where I began my programming career. Over the years I have grown with it and seen it grow better and better. You can build dot net applications, websites and Mobile applications. I like C# programming language in particular and use it to build computer applications, Android and iOS applications. It feels great to build C# Xamarin applications without moving from the Visual studio environment. That way I get to keep Visual studio’s support community.

What do you dislike?

Installation takes a lot of time and so is the time taken to load some applications. During this slow loading and start up Visual studio can throw some unexpected errors and warnings which were not present in your last session. However, it's something you can manage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Visual studio to programmers of different levels, Beginners to experts. Can be used in schools for training and be used by professionals. It’s easy to use and allows you code in different languages while helping you correct your errors in a very effective way.

Developing or building websites and applications gives us money. We use Visual studio as our programming tool. It saves us time when debugging our code and its user friendliness makes it easy and fun to code with.

Visual Studio review by Nick H.
Nick H.

"One of the best IDE's I've used"

What do you like best?

The Intellisense, in my opinion, is one of the best features, and I like the ability to be able to just type something like cw, press tab and it writes the whole console print command, or prop to generate a property or ctor to generate a class constructor. I also liked the custimazation options. I lot of IDE's still let you customize them, but visual studio lets you go an additional step if you wanted to

What do you dislike?

At first, I did not like Visual Studio because I was so used to my other IDE, but after using it for several months it's hard to imagine I used something else, but the reason I didn't like it was sometimes finishing code using the Intellisense wasn't always as easy as it could be, you'd think if a keyword is highlighted in the IS you'd be able to just complete it, but you have to have at least one letter of the highlighted word in it, and sometimes even a single wrong character can through it off

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to take additional steps in order to get comfortable with the IDE, depending on which IDE you last used it can be really simple to switch over to, or it can be a bit harder to do so.

Being able to integrate into many services like Git, GCloud and Azure makes publishing code very easy and reduces the need to open other programs

Visual Studio review by Elisa M.
Elisa M.

"The best Integrated Development Environment"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Visual Studio has help us with our development process thanks to the amazing functionalities that are provided. I like also that there is a community version, so if your company is small you can use it until you can pay for the payed version

What do you dislike?

My team it is unhappy on how it works on lower qualified computers with lower ram and capabilities.

- A bit of a pain to install/re-install if you've not got the correct version - Fairly clunky - Cannot make code changes during runtime (although you can switch this feature off, it still needs to re-build and re-compile - takes a while) - It's not cheap. Although the community edition works fine, it's not adequate enough for working on professionally. But this doesn't mean it's not worth the money

Recommendations to others considering the product

To use the software with a computer that meets their requirements which are very clear in their website.

We develop 3D games using Unity 3D and Visual Studio. - Accurate error detection - Debugging made easy - Provides an environment for all types of software development - NuGet Package Manager is a great addition and is very useful - Built in source control management - Thousands of themes, you can even customise your own - Works great with C#, .NET applications (including .NET Core) and web applications (javascript, typescript, razor) - Constantly updated by Microsoft. They really look after this product.

Visual Studio review by Dennis M.
Dennis M.

"Everything Visual Studio"

What do you like best?

Visual studio offers the greatest IDE of our time. It hosts a variety of programming languages under one roof. You can practically build anything in visual studio; Desktop software, websites, Android and iOS applications and many more. Visual studio has a community behind it and its debugging tools are pretty awesome. It’s a good tool.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike Visual studio. My only issue with it is that sometime it can throw some random errors after updates. Apart from that I think it’s a good tool that every programmer must use at one point in time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual studio has everything you need as a programmer. It will allow you code in different languages while you take advantages of its classic debugging tools and huge support community. Definitely I would advise someone to give it a try.

I can proudly say Visual studio is a big deal for me because I am a C# and a dot net developer. We use Visual Studio to build various applications in different programming languages. We save money and time that could have been spent on learning to build Android and iOS applications in other languages- We use Xamarin and C# to build cross platform mobile apps.

Visual Studio review by Muhammad U.
Muhammad U.

"Great for beginner software developers !!"

What do you like best?

The main aspect that i love about this software is that you have a visual representation of what you are creating and i can also simply drag as well as drop controls on to the form such as buttons etc. this makes it much easier than having to code each and every component separately.

What do you dislike?

the thing i dislike would be that it can be a little confusing sometimes when trying to use all of the debugging tools as they are quite complicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would have to definitely recommend this software to others as it has made my life much easier when it comes to quickly creating software as you it does not require you too much time to design the ui as well as code the program. Beginner software developers could also find this very simple and easy to use.

The main benefit that has been gained from making use of visual studio is the fact that we are able to create custom software for our clients without much time wasted.

Visual Studio review by alfredo p.
alfredo p.

"Mi experiencia con Visual Studio"

What do you like best?

Posiblemente esta herramienta sea el IDE mas completo y sobretodo el mas intuitivo de utilizar. Ofrece por defecto un gran numero de funcionalidades que otro IDE no tienen o hay que instalar a posterior. Ademas añadir extensiones de terceros es un procedimiento guiado, como un wizar, y no hace falta tampoco reiniciar la herramienta

What do you dislike?

Como pasa a menudo en algunos productos profesionales Microsoft, Visual Studio también necesita, para un funcionamiento rápido y fluido, un ordenador con especificaciones de alto nivel ya que los recursos que utiliza son elevados respecto a los competidors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Instalarlo y probarlo en vuestra maquina ya que tiene un periodo de prueba gratuito. De esta forma podréis evaluar si este producto cumple lo que promete antes de gastaros dinero en una licencia.

Este IDE lo utilizo a menudo para generar tanto soluciones complejas para el cliente como para pequeños desarrollo de aplicaciones enfocadas a la automatización de tareas repetidas.

Visual Studio review by Wambui L.
Wambui L.

"very good design for financial reports from visual studio."

What do you like best?

The reports have good design and are very beautiful thus making it a good tool design for reports.

Easy to install and use.

The grouping within the visual ensure the reports are deigned according to the layout of the clients.

Easy to put logos in the report.

What do you dislike?

It takes alot of computer space when running thus when overloaded it causes the computer to hang.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend visual studio to user who deals with reports design to use instead of using excel.It designs reports in a better way compared to excel.It is easy to use and grouping of data helps the clients to understand the reports without much questions.

It is easy to install and use.

Good reports design from visual studio have minimized the clients complaints since they are able to understand the loan charges and the marketing charges without even consulting the company.

Easy to work with visual studio and group reports according to users needs.

Visual Studio review by thomas c.
thomas c.

"best .NET IDE"

What do you like best?

the ide par excellence to work with Microsoft technologies such as .net, and within .net with languages ​​such as vb.net or C #. It is ideal for the development of powerful web tools with MVC type developments or webforms with ASP.NET. Furthermore, the integration with databases can be done directly from the IDE itself, which allows developers to have a lot of control over the structure of the database without having direct access to the data.

What do you dislike?

it requires licenses to be technology owned by Microsoft and the development of a complete solution in .net in the end it comes out very expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ideal for heavy web developments and that will handle a large amount of data and information. It includes many code debugging tools.

is the ide that all the developers of the organization use, since our field is the accounting software and it is a sector where .net is the leader. We combine the developments with Sql Server databases and web technologies such as Ajax, Html5, Css ...

Visual Studio review by Manuel P.
Manuel P.

"La mejor experiencia programando"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gusta de esta aplicación es el interface del entorno de trabajo y la función intelliSense, que da la capacidad de anticipar tu escritura de código y hacerla mucho más eficiente y rápida.

What do you dislike?

La única pega que le pongo en comparación con otros aplicaciones similares es que es demasiado pesada, si no posees un ordenador con mucha memoria RAM y un gran procesador puede llegar a ser un poco lento y tedioso trabajar con este IDE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si lo que quieren es tener la mejor experiencia programando esta es la mejor app que se puede utilizar hoy en día sin ninguna duda velocidad de escritura, sencillez y muchas opciones de configuración a tu disposición.

Gracias a Visual Studio he podido crear pequeñas aplicaciones con Windows Forms para facilitar el día a día de la oficina y de mis compañeros, programando pequeñas aplicaciones y tambien otras más grandes para clientes.

Sin tener una gran capacidad para programar, algunas opciones que da este programa hacen que crear aplicaciones simples para Windows sea muy sencillo con unos conocimientos muy básicos y realmente se consiguen cosas espectaculares, compatibles con cualquier entorno Windows. También es muy fácil crear aplicaciones de consola que son mucho más ligeras que las anteriormente comentadas.

Visual Studio review by Je S.
Je S.

"Great IDE"

What do you like best?

It's compatible for multiple platforms as Windows or Linux. You can download it for Mac too.

It's a free software and it's great if you are a begginer and you want to experiment with different IDE's. But it's also great for professionals.

What do you dislike?

It's too heavy to the system, it took a lot of space in my disk. I think for an ide it's too much.

It crashes all the time and it's annoying, specially if you are in a rush to finish your work. I found that if you have a lot of files in your projects crashes a lot when you run it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to all the professionals because they have Visual Studio Community for free. They can test if they like the IDE without any obligation to pay for it. Give it a try! You may love it.

The problems that I'm solving with Visual Studio are developing a web application to implement a client blog for their company. We prefer to use this IDE because it helps us debugging, identify when the code is wrong and even test some pages that are troubleshooting.

Visual Studio review by Daniela S.
Daniela S.

"visual studio code is the best text editor"

What do you like best?

visual studio improved its performance too much, it is visually friendly, its colors, its default typography is charming, in addition to the flexibility to edit fast code, it is definitely my favorite code editor! : D

What do you dislike?

honestly there are no things that displease me, there are more positive things than negative things, I would only dare to say that sometimes visual studio runs a little slow, when editing a lot of code, but from there on out it's great

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has frequent updates, that's too good because it means that it's constantly being improved by the development team!

visual studio code has helped us to improve in a certain way the developments of web pages, it helps us to integrate plugins in its official store, then it allows us to be more proactive and creative in the company

Visual Studio review by Jessica R.
Jessica R.

"VISUAL STUDIO IS AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!"

What do you like best?

I love the ease in which I can create the different elements of software developing. I also love that it is compatible with Resharper for a little extra help in making the User Interface / User Experience better for the clientele.

What do you dislike?

I think that the issue about Visual Studio is the sensitivity of it when it comes to an error. Sometimes it tells you that an error is on one line, but it may be on the line or two before or after.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in C# coding, this is the perfect tool for you to implement your code upon. Just make sure that you continuously renew your Resharper subscription because it is an extremely necessary tool for a software developer to have at their fingertips. You also always want to make sure that you connect your coding on Visual Studio to open source.

The business problems I am solving with Visual Studio are being able to develop software programs from anywhere because it is extremely easy to download Visual Studio. I have also realized the benefits of Resharper, in that it helps you to identify when you have entered the code in wrong.

Visual Studio review by Adrian Carlo O.
Adrian Carlo O.

"Visual Studio for New Programmers"

What do you like best?

The software does have a number of features that are advantageous for the user. One is that it has a built-in terminal that can accommodate the current framework that I use for my work so I won't have to open up the terminal application anymore, another would be that it can search a specific word that you have types throughout all the files that you are currently using.

Another feature would be support for frameworks, I use different frameworks and languages to code and not a lot of software may have a simple time adapting to the style of coding a specific framework has, VS Code has and you can download plugins so that it can adapt to the framework that you are using.

What do you dislike?

Although it has support for multiple languages there are still a few features that they don't have. One is that it does not tell you which brackets are partnered with which, when coding it is essential that when you have multiple bracketed or parenthesised codes then the program should be able to find it's partner, this is especially needed when you have thousands of codes in one file and you can find the opening and closing of the code bracket.

Another missing feature is an easy "Find File" feature, when using their find feature it can only find the words inputted inside the files themselves and not as the file names. Again if you have thousands of models, controllers, views and such files it is hard to find specific files and this should help this out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for coding PHP frameworks as it supports different framework builds.

I am aiming to solve a delay in transactions between the user (by the company) and the customer since they experience delay through their current system.

Visual Studio review by Aaron P.
Aaron P.

"Great IDE; Love the Debugging Features"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about the Visual Studio IDE is its flexibility. You can work with many programming languages within the framework. Also, being relatively new to programming, I appreciate the capacity of Microsoft's IntelliSense to anticipate what I'm trying to do. There are so many helpful suggestions to keep me on the right track.

While the enterprise edition can be somewhat expensive, the community edition (free) has most of the features you need to develop quality, commercial-grade applications. Microsoft has done a lot in terms of the tool quality to lure developers in and get them hooked on a good IDE before you ever have to spend any money.

What do you dislike?

It's not a lightweight IDE. It takes up a considerable amount of system resources (space, in particular). That's not generally an issue anymore with modern computers, but it does run heavier than some IDEs out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual Studio is a great IDE, but it depends on the language you use for coding. There are some great IDEs out there for HTML/CSS that are far better suited to those languages than Visual Studio. Because Microsoft offers the Community version at no cost, it's a great way to evaluate before committing to a serious spend.

I use Visual Studio to develop custom software solutions for my company. While I'm currently the only developer in the organization using Visual Studio, it is critical for everything I do in developing an application suite for my company.

Visual Studio review by Rancul Aranda M.
Rancul Aranda M.

"gran plataforma de desarrollo de software"

What do you like best?

La capacidad de desarrollar software con múltiples lenguajes de programación en un solo software.

La gran cantidad de herramientas utiles para la programcion

La gran trabajo que hace el detector de errores ya que este te señala cuando ocurre los mismos.

El diseñador gráfico es maravilloso.

la capacidad de usar bases de datos de casi cualquier fuente.

Los tiempos de compilación son cortos.

En fin el mejor software para desarrollo con lenguajes de programcion de objetos

What do you dislike?

El unico punto malo seria su espacio en disco pero es justificable debido a la cantidad de lenguajes y herramientas que se pueden usar

Recommendations to others considering the product

Les recomiendo instalar esta plataforma si quieres un software de desarrollo con gran cantidad de herramientas y de uso fácil , pero trata de tener espacio suficiente para su instalcion.

Nos hacia falta una plataforma de desarrollo con capacidad de uso de múltiples lenguajes siendo visual studio la mejor en su clase. uno se sus principales beneficios es la gran cantidad de guías en Internet para su uso y ademas el apoyo de una gran compañía como lo es Microsoft

Visual Studio review by Tibisay C.
Tibisay C.

"Great IDE for the development of projects. "

What do you like best?

The best of Visual Studio is that it is a very complete tool that allows me to develop software with great ease by implementing several languages ​​such as Python, Java or PHP, it gives me the ease of controlling my projects through good planning; also its versions over the years have achieved great improvements offering the ability to be used by students, professionals and small and large companies.

What do you dislike?

A great limit that has its most current versions is that they require many requirements to be used in computers, so a higher level computer is required, something that not everyone can have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose the most appropriate version to cover your needs to avoid having a bad experience with this great tool called Visual Studio, since its most current versions require more to your machine.

Visual Studio is a very useful tool for my work since it gives me the facility to develop my software in any language, besides I can be able to create applications that communicate work stations, web pages, mobile devices, etc.

Visual Studio review by Pablo B.
Pablo B.

"IDE needed to program in .Net"

What do you like best?

This IDE is very easy and intuitive, easy to configure and install, which greatly helps the programmer.

The best thing is that they frequently get new updates from both the IDE and the nuget packages, which makes it a very up-to-date environment. It has great support from many users, so it is usually easy to find someone who has encountered the same problems and has possible solutions. It also has many debugging tools that allow you to solve errors and problems in execution time or to place yourself in a specific point of the code to debug it in more detail, being able to modify the values of the variables in execution time

What do you dislike?

There are few things that displease me. One of them is the enterprise version that is quite expensive for a private individual. In addition, it is a heavy program that needs a lot of system resources to work properly, which entails an excessive loading time in some projects that are larger, sometimes even the load is blocked. I have also noticed that when you load javascript libraries of external components that are quite heavy and you do a search in the whole solution also the palication is blocked and it is necessary to restart it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this software to all software developers who want to develop in an easy and simple way, since it has made life much easier when creating software quickly since it does not require too much time to design the user interface as well as to codify the program.

It allows me to realize projects of .Net optimizing the times of development thanks to the intuitive interface and to the bookstores that the own program provides.

The Visual Studio test tools help us deliver high quality software. We use these tools to plan, execute and control all the tests of the project.

Visual Studio review by Ángel Simón M.
Ángel Simón M.

"Buena idea pero mal ejecución"

What do you like best?

Me gusta la facilidad que tiene a la hora de trabajar con los proyectos de Microsoft como Xamarin, ya que te lo dan todo preparado y la IDE se preocupa de gestionar todos los archivos para facilitarte el trabajo.

What do you dislike?

Cuando instalas quieres usar por primera vez Visual Studio a la hora de elegir es un poco confuso, no sabes muy bien cuando estas empezando con una nueva tecnología que es lo que vas a tener que usar o no, esto provoca que al final acabes con cosas inútiles instaladas.

Ademas, la diferencia de la interfaz gráfica con Mac es un gran problema, si buscas tutoriales, o guias, no puedes seguirlas en Mac si esta hecho para Windows, ya que las diferencias son muy muy grandes, esto dificulta mucho el trabajo en Mac Os cuando vienes de Windows y viceversa.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual Studio es una IDE muy potente, te sirve para cualquier tecnología, al igual que cualquier IDE tienes que aprender a usarla correctamente, un mal uso provocaría que la te pareciera una IDE horriblemente complicada. Si tienes Mac te va a costar mucho aprender a usarla a no ser que encuentres tutoriales para Mac, ya que la interfaz cambia mucho entre Windows y Mac, dificultando mucho seguir los tutoriales basados en la version de Windows.

En resumen, si quieres empezar a trabajar en serio en proyectos que ademas pertenecen a Microsoft como Xamarin, o quieres usarla para desarrollo de videojuegos como Unity la recomiendo.

Me gusta mucho Xamarin, y Visual Studio cumple perfectamente, te facilita mucho la vida a la hora de instalar los paquetes necesarios y gestionar los paquetes NuGet

Visual Studio review by Alaa H.
Alaa H.

"visual studio servers many people "

What do you like best?

As a javascript developer, i use always use Visual Studio to develop webpages using c# coding. One of the features i like of Visual Studio is the ability to integrate SourceTree, MySQL, and other third part software within Visual Studio to make all scripts and databases in sync. Secondly, Visual Studio has guidelines to direct you what parameters to use when writing a c# code, it has the basic fundamentals of java variables that will guide me through my coding skills. Third, is when errors occur in my code, Visual Studio provides a more detail information about the error and recommends to insert a specific variable. Fourth, Although my company pays for Visual Studio, the ROI we get from using Visual Studio is just exceptional we are able to generate more revenue using Visual Studio.

What do you dislike?

One of the downside of Visual Studio is the installation process, it does take a while good 1-2 hrs to install based on the pc performance, Visual Studio does rely on some existing software to be installed before installing Visual Studio such as Microsoft .NET framework, and MS Visual Studio C ++ both of these products have many versions

I just hope the Visual Studio Installer has those software within the package rather that going to Microsoft.com and installing them individually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i highly recommend others to use the visual studio because it serves many needs

It allows for creating our own software which can be highly customised to our liking as well as for our clients we can make bespoke software and it also allows for continuously updating the software as we go.

Visual Studio review by Ramón A.
Ramón A.

"Bastante beno para el desarrollo nativo de Windows"

What do you like best?

El depurador en vivo de Visual Studio es extremadamente conveniente para ajustar mi propio software y otros ejecutables nativos de Windows. Además, Visual Studio tiene su propio administrador de tareas incrustado que permite a los desarrolladores ver fácilmente el consumo de recursos y otras estadísticas del sistema.

What do you dislike?

En ocasiones, la exportación de los archivos ejecutables(.exe) es un proceso más tedioso de lo que uno se podría imaginar. Llegué a pasar bastante más tiempo de lo que me imaginaba intentando averiguar cómo exportar una aplicación independiente o incluso un simple instalador para la instalación del programa y sus dependencias.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Asegúrese de investigar un poco acerca de la exportación de aplicaciones y dependencias, que si no luego le puede causar varias malas pasadas.

Visual Studio es mi entorno de desarrollo principal en C# y me permite desarrollar y publicar aplicaciones rápidamente sin problemas. Su administrador de tareas, su instalador de lenguaje fácil de usar y otros componentes lo hacen muy fácil de usar. Es completamente compatible con el motor Unity.

Visual Studio review by Mohammed A.
Mohammed A.

"Wonderful software for software developers!"

What do you like best?

what i like best about visual studio is that it allows for me to create software for computers with a very easy to use ui as it displays the ui of my program as i am creating it and it also allows for me to drag and drop the different elements on to my canvas/form such as the panels, labels, buttons etc.

What do you dislike?

What i dislike is that visual studio does not provide many customisation abilities for their controls as it is quite simple windows theme based controls which does not always match your application. Therefore, this means that you would have to go about creating your own controls.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i would highly suggest this ide to anyone who is looking for a visualised environment to create their applications within as it does just that. it also provides new users with how to guides on helping them get started with using the software and also helps them get familiar with the software.

Visual Studio review by John N.
John N.

"Amazing IDE for junior and advanced developers!"

What do you like best?

Lovely development environment for both junior and advanced users. The best part about this is that it provides many debugging tools such as the single stepping, or watch windows etc. which allow for easily weaving the little bugs and issues or minor errors within the code and this makes life much easier as a developer and also saves time.

What do you dislike?

i truly can't say i dislike much about visual studio. But, there is one thing which is the intellisense within visual studio. there are some issues with the intellisense as at times it tends not to work which could be quite annoying and could also require me to spend more time on figuring something out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this 100% to anyone that is considering visual studio as it is just an all round great product. it provides many built in controls which would save you a lot of time when creating software.

visual studio has allowed for creating software which is customized for our clients needs. this especially helped in creating software quickly as it provides many tools and features to ease and speed up the process of software development.

Visual Studio review by Shanmugam S.
Shanmugam S.

"Best All in One IDE for any developer"

What do you like best?

The VS IDE is the one of the best editor I have ever worked with. It has many excellent features and I have highlighted some of the cool things below which I am fond of,

1) Supports many programming languages

2) Easy to work with any type of project (Web, Windows, Mobile, etc..).

3) Easy to install third party tools, add-ons & extensions

4) Supports Git/TFS

Btw, I like the recent Git source control integration which is really nice.

What do you dislike?

There isn't many but sometimes the loading & build time takes quite a lot of time. Also, it crashes unexpectedly when loading large projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use

Excellent integration with multiple programming languages

Great community support.

By using Visual Studio, we don't need to buy multiple products to do our software development. Also, in our organization we are developing multiple projects using different languages like ASP.Net, Knockout, Angular, React, etc.. and for all these projects we only use one IDE and that is Visual Studio.

Visual Studio review by Jordi G.
Jordi G.

"Renewed IDE to any language developement"

What do you like best?

It's a great option to keep in mind. To sumarise, I use the Visual Studio to debug quickly and fix bugs across languages, locally or remotely, and with historical data of your code. Leverage the profiling tools to find and diagnose performance issues without leaving the debugging workflow.

What do you dislike?

It crashes sometimes when you are debugging, but it just happens when your project is veeeery big. You have to constantly save your code if you do not want to lose all the work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great lightweight IDE to develop almost anything. You have to know some things about programing to correctly use it. It's a free so you have to keep it in mind.

Visual Studio test tools help you deliver high quality software. Use these tools to plan, execute, and monitor your entire testing effort. Stay on top of your test plan with quality metrics, indicators, and comprehensive test status reporting.

Visual Studio review by Laura F.
Laura F.

"great ide for .net developers"

What do you like best?

It's a free fully-featured IDE and it's, and it's good to develop any app, specially .net.

Visual Studio enables you to write code accurately and efficiently without losing the current file context. You can easily zoom into details such as call structure, related functions, check-ins, and test status. You can also leverage our functionality to refactor, identify, and fix code issues.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program does not work when you try to run or compile your code. The program won't work and you have to close it in order to work it again. You may lose the code if you did not save before. It's a little bit annoying. In comparison with other IDE's, visual studio it's a little bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recomend the IDE to begginers and advanced users that want a good IDE to develop any app. It's fast and reliable.

We use it to do 3d forms with shaders to do business edits.

Visual Studio review by Rajesh K.
Rajesh K.

"My experience using Visual Studio 2012,2015,2017 versions"

What do you like best?

I have used most of the IDE of Visual studio.

Used version : 2012, 2015 ,2017

In each version there will be features added to it.It is best software I have ever seen in my life that upgrades every time

Some of the features:

1.Drag and drop controls in the tool box

2.additional ajax control

3.Adding plugin needed from third party vendors

4.added extra features in the professional versions

Visual studio is the best fit for creating Mobile,windows,web application.

What do you dislike?

I do like all the features in the Visual studio. It would be great if community edition will also get some features from professional version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This single IDE will make all the applications for example: Windows App, Mobile application in different platforms like Android ,Windows, IOS using xamarin plugin added in the visual stuido. then we can able to create web application like web services, web api , websites.

It is very useful to use open source library from the nuget library. It easy to install and add it in our reference project.

Most of the control codes will be automatically created by visual studio.

Intelligence features is the most important thing.

This application will definitely help the people to come up with better applications.

It is user friendly to use the IDE.No learning is required to use Visual studio.

All of the windows and web application are created in visual studio.Now I am working mobile apps as well using xamarin plugin.

Visual Studio review by PRASHANTH P.
PRASHANTH P.

"Visual Studio a Tool for All"

What do you like best?

The inbuilt Components and Office Tools which makes the import of Microsoft enterprise products very easily in the Code. Also very user friendly. And MVC layer is one of the best feature in the Tool .

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much dislike in this product . It always been very useful and powerful in its own way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visual Studio is very powerful Tool for the Web And Mobile Development. There are more new functionalities and supporting Tools getting added to this Product which makes Developer Ease of use and comfort in writing codes

We have multiple projects with this Tool. Windows Console Application , Web Applications and even Windows standalone Desktop App. We had the necessary Tools and components required for our development. With the application built we have saved more cost and reduced more no of manual data processing in our system. All Excels Data works are automated very easily with MS office components

Visual Studio review by Dan B.
Dan B.

"Visual Stuido PERFECT"

What do you like best?

Shader debugger

Monodevelop cons:

It is one of the buggiest IDEs I ever saw. I don’t think I ever had Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V stop working anywhere else. This can happen in monodevelop.

Monodevelop pros:

Fast.

Almost instant startup.

I’m using Monodevelop exclusively (despite initially hating it), because of auto-formatting issues in Visual Studio. Auto-formatting in Visual Studio, IIRC, can’t be fully turned off (well, if you turn it off, you lose access to stuff like auto-indenting on code on the new lines.

Since monodevelop starts almost instantly and is much faster in general, then on those occasions where it glitches out you can simply kill it and start it again.

What do you dislike?

Takes much longer to start up.

(surprisingly) Has inferior auto-formatting facilities compared to monodevelop. For example you can’t eliminate automatic insertion of space betweein “)” and “{“. I searched for this option. It doesn’t exist.

Is much slower in general.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i recommend it because is so intutive and fast.

i can do 3d forms with shaders to do business edits.

Visual Studio review by Nicholas E.
Nicholas E.

"Great Editor, sometimes buggy"

What do you like best?

Visual studio has excellent syntax highlighting, and a very nice dark theme. It does everything a good editor should do and then some. It has every formatting option and tons of useful tools and extensions for anything.

Supports tons of languages, even ones not Microsoft related. Also includes a very useful package manager so you can easily download packages as well.

Has tons of integrations and support for other Microsoft products which is very helpful when you need them.

What do you dislike?

Takes an unusually long time to load large projects. Also, Visual studio can sometimes be a little buggy and can crash unexpectedly. I have never had a crash cause any data lose though.

All in all, I don't have a lot bad to say. I use Visual Studio with Unity and sometimes the Unity plugin for Visual Studio can have issues that aren't fixed right away.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the visual Studio dark theme for a much less bright screen. Helps with eye strain a lot.

It improves my coding ability and efficiency by auto-completing and auto-formatting code to save me time and energy I can put back into coding.

Also the community edition is free so no business expenses there. It fully supports the Unity libraries including intellisense, which means auto-completion and suggestions for all on Unity's functions, as well as, function descriptions. Sometimes the intellisense has issues finding the Unity libraries but once it's setup right it works.

Visual Studio review by Daniel P.
Daniel P.

"Amazing, large number of plugins"

What do you like best?

The best thing, without a doubt, is that thanks to the plugins it adapts to any programming language or framework that is used.

I have worked with Angular, Laravel, PHP, Typescript and for all of them there were plugins that helped me to develop better and faster, as linters that warn me of errors or possible improvements according to the framework style guide. Or plugins to help you with imports (which in Angular and Laravel are very common)

It also contains an integrated version control system. All these features are found in IDEs such as Intellij and all its derivatives, but Visual Studio Code does not require as much power or consume as much RAM memory.

I find the system of adjustments and configuration mind-boggling. Using a json you can configure all the parameters of settings, such as tabulation, and even the settings of any plugin to leave it to your liking.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I don't like about it. Although perhaps the debugging tool is not the best or most powerful I know of and have not used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It may look like a simple code editor, but with the amount of plugins that exist you can feel comfortable working with any language or framework today.

I have developed applications in Angular in a personal way and Visual Studio Code has helped me a lot. It was necessary to build a web application where I could find information about cities and that would consume an API rest, for this Visual Studio Code and its plugins have helped me.

Visual Studio review by Desiderio M.
Desiderio M.

"Great Microsoft product."

What do you like best?

The git and github integration and the great number of extensions, themes, the great support and really complete documentation, because in my opinion the mix between open source philosophy and Microsoft support is a good combination, and I think that after buying Github, this is the path that the giant beyond Windows has taken and will walk in the future.

What do you dislike?

The support for some programing lenguages is not as good as expected, but in general my opinion is that there's not a thing that I dislike, maybe some improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a try, some people around me still doesn't believe that Microsoft can deliver a free product that is good enough to beat some of the traditional editors. There are also those that think that anything beyond Vim is a sacrilege, but if you are an open-minded developer that already works with Sublime, Notepad++ or some other modern code editor, this is in my opinion the best choice right now. And if you are a git and github user, then you will love the out of the box integration. And if you come from Sublime just like me, no worries, the change is really smooth, and in the good direction. It is lightweight and clean, you can even import Sublime keymaps.

It's really easy to implement the team workflow, with the fluid github integration. Productivity has increased since all the developers in our work are now using Visual Studio.

Visual Studio review by Marion G.
Marion G.

"Best coding editor"

What do you like best?

This is very well thought for coders to code as fast as possible. This proposes you the words you entered already, this highlights in the colors you choose specific keywords.

You can add libraries as well if you want to connect it with your database.

You can choose the type of indentation very quickly which is very useful. All the extensions are proposed with an explanations, and most of them are really cool ! You have a debug mode, which I don't use personally but I know that my coworkers use it and said it was useful.

One thing I really love is having Azure for the database, that's a life saver !

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it proposes too many words and it shows too many help maybe. I don't even know how I can remove all these helps sometimes !

I don't really like having the open editor in the left hand side...

Sometimes it feels like if there is not enough space between the code and the left hand side bar, can't really explain why...

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is really better than Sublime Text and can fix the problems you have ! This will make your like easier and you will definitely code faster

I am coding with it in javascript and I'm watching/modifying the database as well

Visual Studio review by Rick W.
Rick W.

"An IDE with masses of Support and Tutorials"

What do you like best?

There are a vast number of plugins for other platforms , step by step instructions and video tutorials for pretty much anything you want to do.

As an example I have used this for creating a password change website linked to an AD domain, a tool for deleting roaming profiles from domain desktops and prototyping a snowball fight web game.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be a little intimidating initially as there are a lot of options to choose from both during installation and when creating your first solution. However this can be mitigated somewhat by following a tutorial for a similar project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend following one of the Microsoft Virtual Academies tutorials before committing to any 'paid for' version to ensure it fits your purpose. If you are doing a domain based web app you should probably brush up on ASP and C# for the best results.

As mentioned above, the framework for this IDE is incredibly versatile allowing it to be adapted to pretty much anything including mobile apps for the play store or windows store. For our purposes it allows me to develop GUI based tools for the powershell challenged members of staff allowing them to perform some of the more repetitive day to day tasks without having to type in the commands.

Learning about Visual Studio?

* We monitor all Visual Studio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.