Visual Studio

Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing console and graphical user interface applications along with Windows Forms or WPF applications, web sites, web applications, and web services.

Work for Visual Studio?
Visual lansa  ide  2x

Learning about Visual Studio?

Visual Studio Reviews

Showing 997 Visual Studio reviews
Visual Studio review by <span>Henri I.</span>
Henri I.

Full of features and fast editor, but lacks support and documentation.

What do you like best?

For large and complex projects, this IDE is outstanding. For small projects, it's overkill. If you are just writing pure HTML, it would be easier to use a simple IDE (like Notepad++), but if you have code behind, DLL's, javascript (basically a whole stack), then Visual Studio is great. The documentation for ASP.NET is good but again lacks many useful examples (which you can find aplenty on stackoverflow).

What do you dislike?

The complexity of solution is expected, but the documentation is hard to comb through. I usually find documentation answers on StackOverflow. Getting someone from Microsoft to help you with the product is very unlikely. I wish there were experts we could hire to help us configure some of the product. The graphics editor is sub-par (even Microsoft Paint is better).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared for some time in configuring your solutions. But once you have "dialed in" the solution, it works fast to develop, maintain and deploy your projects.

I use Visual Studio for Website development, SaaS development including front-end, middleware, server and database access.for development of a SaaS product.. The debugger is great especially the ability to visualize tables (not just the traditional variables). The performance measurement tools are also easy to use. You can just step over functions and quickly measure the performance of that function or you can run the entire profiler. The debugger makes it easy to debug on different browsers (for cross-browser compatibility). The source control tools are also great especially the file difference and merge tools which are very visual.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Visual Studio
Visual Studio review by <span>Ravi Shankar K.</span>
Ravi Shankar K.

Excellent product

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and free product from Microsoft. Ease of access. Controls are very user friendly. I was able to use build GUIs. I loved the speed and auto complete was really helpful while writing the codes. Many new features added to the latest version and server control is easy to use. The Visual studio Team foundation server lets me use the application while collaborating with a team. This provided an easy experience while working on collaborative projects. The quality of support given is top notch. I would easily recommend using visual studio in my place of work and my place of study and to all my friends who are interested in doing web development or ASP .NET based developments.

What do you dislike?

Takes long time to boot and sometimes hangs. Sometimes the add ons are very difficult to find. I had to search for the exact name of the add on from the list provided or browse through blogs in the web to get the info about the exact name for the add on. It sometimes hangs while running and I had to restart the application again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

just install and run it.

All development works, Web application and C and C++ programming for research. Also for running C# based functions and HTML pages. And for integrating with Oracle and SQL databases. I realized it can be used for running web sites, web apps, web services and mobile apps.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Visual Studio review by <span>Michelle K.</span>
Michelle K.

Best Solution

What do you like best?

What i like the most is that works as a all in one tool , takes every aspect of Object Oriented programing and encapsulated in 1 place . in this ide i can code , compile , test , design all my solution without leaving the same screen , for me is a time saver . Other point that works for me is thar has a lot of information in the web and forums to consult any problem , so is not hard to resolve a problem in not time . the object thar are isntalled in the ide are real good to genate a solution as a profesional developer. The ide Itself can be configurate at you own style of programing , VB , C# , wEB develpoment. Is the only solution to create windows phone and windows mobile aplications

What do you dislike?

Has a lot of tools but to deploy sometime is really heavy and the testing is really processor demanding , it needs at least a i5 processor to work properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is really good tool to work with , jus need a PC with high performance to get all the potential from the ide. Has a diferent ways of use , there are the express version of any languaje that can work as a professional just have a fewer characteristic but main source is the same

Create destokp aplication faster ,or even a demo to a client . At this time is the easyest way to consume web service that were made in SAP

Visual Studio review by <span>Mostafa H.</span>
Mostafa H.

Microsoft Visual Studio

What do you like best?

I like best the debugging in visual studio, as it is provides effective and efficient tools for debugging and reaching the root cause, also the automatic syntax checking is a great and efficient, I like also the intellisense is "Great" it is a part of my daily programming everyday, it helps me know the available properties, functions and events and the great thing is what parameters each function supports which affect my decisions and support an effective and efficient programming, I like also that it supports all languages I'm using specially the XAML which helps me creates windows store Apps, I like also the code coloring I'm very comfortable with it, also publishing is very easy with visual studio and secured, black themes also my favorite one while programming and it was a nice adding.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the heavy installation and the consumed size from my hard disk.

Programming and debugging

Visual Studio review by <span>Zach H.</span>
Zach H.

Best Coding Software

What do you like best?

The thing that I like best about Visual Studio is that it is very easy to use and if you are not used to it yet, it takes very quick to learn Visual Studio. It can support pretty much any code that you are working on. This also has syntax highlighting for every language. Visual Studio is probably something that small businesses would use since it is so cheap and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Something that I dislike about Visual Studio is that it doesn't technically support every single language. Other languages besides JSON, CSS, HTML, Node.js, and a couple more only have syntax highlighting. Other than that issue, I love Visual Studio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I 100% recommend Visual studio to other people. Visual Studio is easy to use and if people are not understanding the software, I encourage them to keep trying. Visual Studio is a very good product for developing code as it provides syntax highlighting and supports a couple of languages. People that want to switch to Visual Studio as well I fully recommend it because it's something that will help them in the future as it will be in my opinion, and good program to code software. The program is also very cheap.

Some business problems I'm solving with Visual Studio is that it's much easier for colleagues and employees to use. Visual Studio is also very cost efficient which means that it will be one of the best options for businesses who don't have a big budget.

Visual Studio review by <span>Jeremiah F.</span>
Jeremiah F.

VS is the standard for Windows dev for a reason

What do you like best?

VS is functional and fast for the amount of work it does. It supports a majority of various languages and there may be plugins that allow it to support more. I love the amount of plugins and the options available. Consistent updates, along with a free community edition (for those who are doing personal projects or non-commercial), along with the regular versions. MS has always kept VS relevant

What do you dislike?

Speed. I love VS as a whole, but there are times that it seems like it takes way too long for the product as a whole to work. The build process can sometimes hiccup and there is no feedback unfortunately with how things run

It is used for our Windows development primarily with our .NET products that are on the backend. It has helped make it easy for some of our iOS devs to get a grip on some of the .NET from the VS side of things.

Learning about Visual Studio?

* We monitor all Visual Studio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.