Fusion

Fusion provides a virtualization solution for running Windows programs on a Mac.

Work for Fusion?

Learning about Fusion?

Fusion Reviews

Showing 66 Fusion reviews
Fusion review by Josh T.
Josh T.

"Much easier than VirtualBox, but not cheap."

What do you like best?

VMWARE Fusion is extremely easy to use and customize. We use it to setup various Linux VMs on new generation Macbook Pros and even on the dual-core models (quad-core is usually recommended when running VMs), Fusion 10 Pro is extremely fast. I especially like the full screen mode and the compatibility with many of the native drivers on the MacBook pro. It is extremely easy to configure Fusion to work with many local components, such as the webcam, bluetooth and USB-C inputs. Extremely easy migrations as well. On the 15in macbook pros, GPU performance and integration within fusion is substantially better than previous models.

What do you dislike?

Software is expensive with Fusion 10 Pro costing $160. Can be a bit sluggish when you have multiple VMs at once, but that is mostly a limitation of the hardware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VirtualBox is free and may be enough if you don't need or cannot afford the simplicity and benefits of Fusion. On the other hand, Parallels is much easier to use than Fusion, but you are severely limited with customization.

We develop software primarily on macs and many of the open source programs we use are only compatible with linux. We use Fusion to create quick and easy VMs that allows us to take advantage of these programs.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Fusion
Fusion review by Jon L.
Jon L.

"Great product, easy to use, no complaints"

What do you like best?

I use VMWare Fusion to run Windows 7 Pro side by side my Mac OS on my Macbook Pro. It allows me to have both OS's running simultaneously and all I have to do is use a multi-finger swipe to switch screens. It's also nice that it doesn't affect my machine's performance either. My MacOS still runs just like it would without a VM running simultaneously, and I don't have to partition as much RAM or HDD space to the windows machine as I would've thought initially!

What do you dislike?

It was a little bit difficult to set up on the front end. If the set up (specifically, in my instance, of a virtual machine running Windows 7 Pro) could be easier and more user friendly that would be great. It was a little bit cumbersome and took me 2 tries to get it set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It's worth it and it works really well.

It helps me run two OS's simultaneously. This allows me to be able to work with our Windows users as well as our Mac Users, while still running and primarily using MacOS which I prefer for my work. I can run windows-only apps, I can troubleshoot problems from a MacOS and WindowsOS standpoint as well. The best part is I don't have to log out or close my MacOS to do any of that. A simple swipe to the right lets me access my Windows machine and move forward.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

Fusion review by Alex F.
Alex F.

"Excellent computer virtualization software"

What do you like best?

Simple to use.

Easy to configure the machine options.

Runs various systems (windows, mac and Linux) as virtual computers. Means you only need one physical device to be able to perform multiple tests and checks.

VMware tools replace various windows drivers to make the system performance very good.

What do you dislike?

Uses a lot of RAM to run the VMs.

Each VM uses a lot of disk space especially if you install lots of applications in the VM.

The more processes in VM you run the slower the VM will become less responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent virtualization tool. Easy to use and configure.

In our support department when a customer logs an issue with a particular system we can use the VM's to test on those system without needing a physical computer for each system.

If a customer has less RAM we can easily change the RAM to perform a similar test.

Fusion review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Easy to Use, Great for Testing Software"

What do you like best?

What I like best about VMWare Fusion are the feature rich capabilities and support for different operating systems. Fusion works seamless with Mac and the ability to configure guest operating systems is easy with support for screen resolution and local file system access after installing VMWare Fusion tools on the guest operating system. Take snapshots of operating system images is easy with the ability to annotate. Bridged, NAT and direct network configuration options are also helpful when connecting virtual machines to one another. The ability to do drag and drop is also helpful between the host and guest operating systems.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that sometimes there are compatibility issues when multiple users on a workstation are sharing the same virtual machine using different local accounts. If VMWare could improve the synching, that would be helpful and welcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation to others considering Fusion is to use the trial edition first before deciding on a final product for your organization. Updates to VMWare Fusion are regularly released so ensuring that your copy is up-to-date is easy since a check is performed every time you use it.

The business problems we are trying to solve with Fusion is software and web application testing. The benefits we have realized are the rapid testing environment and the ease of use of testing web applications. Having the ability to roll back to a previous state is extremely helpful and has reduced testing time.

Fusion review by Erik W.
Erik W.

"Best Virtualization platform for Mac"

What do you like best?

Support for nearly all Windows versions is excellent, integration is nearly seamless and the Pro version makes managing ESX environments a snap! The ability to upload a VM to an ESX host is especially helpful for moving a test system in to production. The speed and responsiveness of the guest OSes with minimal resource allocation is impressive.

What do you dislike?

Need to purchase every major version upgrade as maintenance in not readily available.When switching between full screens the resolution reverts if it was changed making switching between the host and guest OS a bit annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to run Windows on a Mac Fusion is by far the best app for the job. It works incredibly well and offers excellent hardware sharing.

You're able to manage a Windows and VMware server environment without needing to maintain a physical Windows workstation. This is ideal for organizations that need to support both Mac and Windows workstations.

Fusion review by Dhaval S.
Dhaval S.

"very fast, technical interface, a bridge between OSes and cheaper pricing but requires higher RAM!!!"

What do you like best?

1. VMware Fusion is very fast and reported the highest benchmark ranking.

2. More of a technical interface rather than the attractive looks of Parallels.

3. I didn't notice any performance difference between Fusion and Parallels while running a VM of Windows 8.

4. Allows you to run your Windows programs within OS X.

5. Solid integration between the two operating systems, including conveniences one would expect like clipboard sharing, drag-and-drop, the ability to launch Windows programs from the dock, etc. Easy to share files between the two.

6. Handy wizard lets you migrate your existing PC over to a virtual machine for use inside of VMware Fusion, which can be great for new Mac converts who are still nervous about leaving Windows behind.

7. Pricing is also cheaper than Parallels, and for personal (non-commercial) users, the license extends to however many Macs you own.

8. The ability to run and test out multiple Operating Systems and tools from one workstation.

What do you dislike?

1. Doesn't look nearly as good as Parallels.

2. Performance is solid, but still somewhat reduced by the virtualization of the guest OS.

3. Requires plenty of RAM, and since newer Macs cannot be upgraded, make sure you plan ahead in this department when buying hardware. Also, you will need a Windows operating system license, which will raise the cost of this solution.

4. Resource limitations to run some multiple Operating Systems can be too intense for a basic workstation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. If you are a light user just looking to virtualize Windows, get Parallels.

2. It's a tough call between Parallels and Fusion but in my experience Fusion is a tad more stable and easier to use but both products are excellent. Checkout the list of features and there are some unique features for each product.

3. Just be wary when deploying this to a group, administration of this software in on a user by user basis. There is no central management as in VDI or VCenter which makes administration more tedious.

1. The development team being supported needed ways to test out different version of java, browsers, etc before they deployed their builds. Fusion allowed the Mac users to test on their workstation also.

Fusion review by Ernie D.
Ernie D.

"Makes Using Windows-Only Programs A Lot Easier For This Mac User"

What do you like best?

Being able to use Windows-only programs right on my Mac without having to break out a PC. Speeds up workflows a lot!

I use this to test websites on IE on my mac and also used it for BingAds editor for a long time until they just recently finally came out with a mac version.

What do you dislike?

Copy and paste between my main machine and my virtual machine is spotty. Does hog a lot of resources when I'm running on my Macbook Air, slowing down my computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have software that is windows-only and want to make it compatible with your mac, this is does the job perfectly! Looked into other options and this is like actually having two computers in one. The price doesn't set you back too badly either.

You will need to shell out for a windows license to make this work.

I first started using this so that I didn't have to break out a different computer each time I wanted to use BingAds editor. I've also found it is helpful in testing sites on IE right from my mac.

Fusion review by Max O.
Max O.

"A must-have for a developer and everyday user"

What do you like best?

As a Mac user, I often encounter have to open Windows programs that are not available for Mac. VMware fusion works perfectly, without occupying much of the resources. It launches fast and integrates well with the current system, allowing to copy and paste documents and text between the host and virtual machine. I personally tried every OS there is with VMware and have not encountered any compatibility issues.

What do you dislike?

I often run background tasks in my virtual machine and it would be nice to be able to lock it with password protection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend on not assigning to much RAM and CPU to your virtual machine if you are not going to perform any intensive tasks in it. This way your host and virtual machine will run smoothly

I often need to open files that business partners send me in applications that are only available for Windows (for example CorelDRAW, 3DsMax etc.). My Windows virtual machine launches in VMware Fusion within minutes without interrupting my workflow, so I don't need to reboot my Mac and boot into Windows. Thats saves a lot of time for me, so I can view a document within couple of minutes, quit VMware Fusion and get back to what I was doing before.

Also, when I develop a new website, I check the final product in different operating systems and in different browsers. And all of that is done within minutes. So VMware Fusion is definitely a timesaver.

Fusion review by Thomas W.
Thomas W.

"Virtual Machines on the fast"

What do you like best?

VMWare Fusion is a fast way for me to set up Windows VMs on my Macbook - yeah, there are situations where one just cannot do without MS Windows. It allows for easy copying the machines, which basically behave like any ole Windows computer.

A very nice tool is the seamless integration of Windows applications into the Mac Desktop. Also the good integration into the host's file system is very valuable.

Lastly, the VM acts like an additional computer, which in some situations facilitates being on different networks.

What do you dislike?

I find the sales integration with the Antivirus software annoying. Just make it part of the product. Sometimes I wished to have multiple VMs active at the same time.

Reconfiguration of an existing VM could be made a bit simpler (e.g. changing no of cores, amount of RAM, HDD space dedicated to VM)

Recommendations to others considering the product

don't be shy with the hardware of the planned host computer. The better the merrier. I run it on an early 2011 Macbook Pro with a 512 GB SSD, 8 MB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM and 2 GHz Intel Core i7. You should not have less, especially RAM.

There are some situations (especially when I am working with clients) where I just need to use a Windows machine, be it because they do not like Macs in their network or plainly because the SAP GUI for Windows works far better than the Java or web ui versions. Some off the shelf software (e.g. the old accounting software that I use) needs Windows, too.

Fusion review by Neil B.
Neil B.

"Works well, useful"

What do you like best?

Pretty easy to use. But Parallels Desktop beats VMWare Fusion on features, setup and the fact it can inherit an existing bootcamp win partition.

What do you dislike?

Compared to Parallels Desktop, with Fusion it's WAY harder to install Windows and there's a lot more setup to do it seems. I have both, but just use Parallels now, so have currently no Win installs on Fusion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at Parallels also, one great feature, Parallels can inherit a virtual machine from Bootcamp, so you can run (the same copy of) win natively if software problems arise and need diagnosis. That's far easier with virualisation out of the picture

Good to be able to run Win on a Mac for client support sessions

Fusion review by Lance D.
Lance D.

"I Live in VMware Fusion All Day"

What do you like best?

I like that I can run Windows 7 on my Mac, without losing the integrity of the Windows installation. Aside from that, the real winner is that I can control the backup schedule (snapshots), which is really important when running Windows. I keep a clean installation, but when things do go poorly I can restore a recent snapshot and I am back up and running within minutes. A top-tier feature.

What do you dislike?

The Mac has a hard time staying cool and devoting real power to the VM, but that is to be expected when running both at once. I use a MacBook with 3 additional screens and that really wreaks havoc for Windows, or VMware - not sure which one is the point of failure. The general rule is: don't close the laptop or enter sleep mode without first suspending the VM. Also, do not change the number of screens while the VM is running because it panics and locks you into one screen across all available screens, until rebooting the VM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It just works. I've never had a problem with it that was the result of the software.

I am able to perform the duties of two classes of work on the same machine: graphics on the Mac (because I am most familiar with design on a Mac), and project management on Windows (because MS Office is far superior on Windows than macOS).

Fusion review by Nicholas V.
Nicholas V.

"Great Option for running Windows on my Mac"

What do you like best?

Overall, I like the ease of use of VMware (I'm currently using version 7). It was a quick and easy install and getting a virtual machine up and running took very little time. A few of the specific settings were frustrating (see the "What do you dislike" section). The ability to have my Windows software running side by side with my Mac software makes my workflow as productive as possible. I also was very happy with Technical Support and the speed with which the communicated when I had questions or issues.

What do you dislike?

A few of the settings were difficult to get figured out, such as network and printer settings. It seems like it should have been easier to get my wireless printer to be recognized by VMware. I have my Mac set up on a wired network, but also a wireless for printing, and I could only get VMware to recognize one of those connections at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is a great option for anyone wishing to be able to use the Windows and Mac operating systems side by side on the same machine. I considered a few different options, and am very happy I chose VMware Fusion. The cost of the product is well within what I considered reasonable for the benefits I get from it.

It's a huge benefit having the ability to run all the software that I need on one machine. Before, I had to keep a Windows PC as well as a Mac to be able to do everything my job requires. Being able to use a dual monitor setup gives me my two operating systems side by side on the same machine, with no extra space wasted!

"Best Virtualization Software"

What do you like best?

It's very plug-and-play, You only need the installation of the OS you want to implement and you are up and running. It's also nice to sandbox within another copy of your own OS if you have the memory and disk space, which can be nice for a variety of applications including development and security. Also there are a lot of small uses that make having two machines in one box great, the like ability to have the newest version of iTunes on my main machine but being able to download and unzip apps using iTunes on the VM. Also, the unified clipboard feature is very nice.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit large and the files it creates are not portable, and does not play well with dropbox. In short, this might be a good application if you are using it yourself but it does not play well with others. I'd like to see that change over time. Also whenever I connect the third USB monitor on my MacBook, f a vm is running it totally crashes the system, which is not a great experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's hard to really recommend anything because it's very easy to get started. I do recommend giving your VMs more RAM than they recommend, being selective with which folders the VM sees unless you trust it 100%, and always backing up your VMs. Also, remember to clear out disk space both in the VM and reclaiming space in the general settings menu. Look for more VMs than just 'windows' on a mac or vice versa; you can also virtualize an android tablet, and may of the same features work.

I virtualize a windows environment because I require a lot of tools for my job that are windows only, including OriginLab. The only way to hook the editable graph export to Word feature is by virtualizing an entire system. In addition, I use it for meeting software that sometimes other scientists may need, as I don't want bloatware/malware on my main machine; I am very selective with the files it has access to.

Also I was able to run a version of the Android tablet software and run an otherwise mobile-platform-specific app without needing to pull out my iPhone to run the software, which is extremely convenient.

Fusion review by Nathan M.
Nathan M.

"Flexible and well-supported desktop virtualization environment"

What do you like best?

VMware Fusion offers the flexibility and compatibility of the VMware environment in a fast and usable OS X wrapper, and with solid OS X integration for supported guest operating systems.

It's a well-crafted product, and the developer community offers somewhat broader driver support for VMware than they do for its major competitor, Oracle's VirtualBox.

VMware Fusion is definitely a desktop user-oriented product, and shows a clear developer focus on Windows guests, with quick, integrated access to apps in Windows VMs available through Fusion's OS X menu bar application.

What do you dislike?

VMware Fusion's preference interface, while slightly more "Mac-like" in appearance than VirtualBox, also obfuscates details which VirtualBox exposes (such as the specific identities of emulated chipsets), complicating the configuration of older or less well-supported OSes which do not have VMware drivers available.

The Fusion interface also buries some necessary functions several levels deep. Switching optical or floppy drive images, for instance, requires several clicks in Fusion, while VirtualBox places recent media in a simple drop-down menu on the main application frame.

Finally, headless operation and server integration is not as transparent in VMware Fusion as it is in VirtualBox, and VMware's offerings are quite different on different host OSes.

Slightly better breadth of guest OS support may not justify the purchase of VMware Fusion for many users, when VirtualBox is available for free, and better exposes its more powerful features to the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware Fusion is one of those packages which you will know if you need: if you have to run prebuilt VMware virtual machines on OS X, and don't want to spend a day or two converting them, there aren't many other options. And for those guest OSes for which VirtualBox drivers are not forthcoming, such as NextStep/OpenStep, it offers better support.

That said, if you do not fall into these two use cases, VirtualBox is free, equally powerful, and offers a better interface on OS X and more consistence in interface between host OSes.

I mostly use VMware Fusion for testing prebuilt virtual machines prior to conversion to VirtualBox, and for access to certain guest OSes for which VirtualBox driver support does not exist.

Fusion review by Siddartha l.
Siddartha l.

"VMware Fusion performance matches with dual booted OS performance"

What do you like best?

The speed and tools offered in the package is pretty great and well integrated with MAC experience. 3D hardware speed while playing games in Virtual OS. Booting and shitting down of virtual OS id pretty fast comapred to others. The impact and load of VMware Fusion on underlying OS is less and doesnt drain the RAM much..

What do you dislike?

One of the most common dislike is bit hanging and speed which is pretty slow at some point of time. only one snapshot per virtual machine. Navigation from one OS to other is bit time consuming task. Some features in windows virtual installed OS faces problems which is not well supported.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for local quick acces with a greater speed and many more inbuilt features please headon to VMware Fusion.

One of the most advantage of using this is this saved our time and money in owning a new harware for a separate OS. We as a startup organization need to test our work with many OS's which would have been more economical if VMware Fusion whould have not been there.

Fusion review by Flavio S.
Flavio S.

"VMWARE Fusion : essential on mac "

What do you like best?

virtual machines are managed very well. I can easily create a virtual environment, often do tests with virtual machines, the snapshot feature is excellent, I can easily go back in time.

What do you dislike?

integration with the Mac system can be improved. the Unity mode works well, but who uses parallals will find it different. the management of retinal display windows for the virtual machines is not optimal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

is an essential software for Mac, users of the virtual machine windows must try it. the GUI is clear. They can handle a large number of virtual machines without problems.

use this software because it is the only one able to handle DirectX 11. usefull to run the latest 3D graphics software. I use it on my mac when I have to use Windows applications. Some applications only run on Windows, this software is very important for my job and for my business.

Fusion review by Dawid K.
Dawid K.

"VMware Fusion - proven visualization platform"

What do you like best?

- extreme ease of use

- built in Fusion Learning Center with many video tutorials will get anyone running in no time

- optimized for latest OS X

- Apple Retina display support

- Windows 10 support

- latest version supports DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3

- Fusion even supports Mac gestures

- I am loving Unity view where your Windows application shows within OS X

What do you dislike?

I did not find anything to dislike about VMware Fusion so far.

I am using VMware Fusion to run Windows OS in the environment that normally do not support Apple OS X.

Many daily tasks requiring Windows OS I can now perform from my favorite MacBook Pro laptop.

Need a console connectivity in OS X - no problem USB devices can be easily connected to virtual machine and work as native connection.

Fusion review by Justin H.
Justin H.

"Perfect software solution for IT and IS students and workers. "

What do you like best?

Working with VMware Fusion has significantly increased my productivity with working in different operating systems. I really like the simple and clean shortcuts to jump to my different workspaces.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing that I dislike. Some of the compatibility issues are very minimal, and it seems that all the operating systems I want to install are quick options in Fusion.

The business problems I am solving by using VMware Fusion is that I have to use Linux for certain operational functions. I use Kali Linux to test my network's security and find out the flaws that I otherwise could not have found while on my mac. I have used Apple's Bootcamp to use both Linux and OSX, but that process was clunky and ended up being fatal for my computer as I accidentally wiped my entire OSX. Working with VMware completely eliminated the risk of installing other OSs on my computer.

Fusion review by Kort B.
Kort B.

"VMWare Fusion served its' purpose."

What do you like best?

I loved how simple it was to jump back and forth between my desktop and my virtual machine. It was easy to work on my projects within my virtual machine, and then jump to my main desktop in order to conduct research. VMWare Fusion also made it simple to run Microsoft Office products in the much simpler Windows version (I run a Mac). I truly believe that, without VMWare Fusion, I would not have been able to pass some of the classes that I used it for.

Learning how to use VMWare Fusion was simple, with their built-in tutorials and online support. I think that this allowed me to use the virtual machine software quickly and efficiently. I'm a student, so I don't have a ton of time to painstakingly learn a new software or version.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the virtual machine, on VMWare Fusion, would run slowly. I think that this is attributed to processing power, but it was nonetheless frustrating. The User interface was also a bit shoddy when it came to booting up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMWare Fusion is a clear frontrunner in the virtual machine industry.

I used VMWare Fusion to work in Windows on my Mac. It allowed me to simply switch back and forth in order to use the business intelligence software, Qlikview (only available on Windows). It made it simple to jump back and forth between my Mac, where I would conduct research, and Windows, where I would run the actual program. I also plan to use VMWare Fusion in the future when the need for virtual machines becomes apparent.

Fusion review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Just OK for the money"

What do you like best?

I think each release of Fusion improves upon the last. Installing and configuring new virtual machines is fast and simple. Snapshots are easy if sometimes not automatic and reliable. I don't use it, but there's integration into VMware's public cloud built in. A lot of projects will have premade VMware virtual machines that are easy to import and get working, which is very handy.

What do you dislike?

No integration with ESXi, even though it's made by the same company AND there's a commercial "Professional" version available. It'd be great to send VMs you configure locally to your ESXi production cluster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a no brainer. The only other option is Virtual Box, which isn't an option for some environments (though it is a solid product that competes well with Fusion).

I use it to spin up virtual machines for testing and one general windows VM for windows software I can't get away from. It's great to make 2 or 3 VMs and test out a new thing before deploying it elsewhere in our environment.

Fusion review by Tara Nicole B.
Tara Nicole B.

"Windows Virtual Machine for Mac is Tweaky"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that there is an option for running necessary-for-work windows OS applications in my Mac OS environment

What do you dislike?

I hate how it minimizes everything on its desktop view. In order to make it viewable, the screen resolution must be changed, and that's an inconvenience for a number of reasons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Suck it up and deal with it, and be glad your primary job doesn't require you to use the Windows Virtual machine regularly.

It solves access to Oracle based applications we need to use. I haven't realized any real benefits.

Fusion review by User in Maritime
User in Maritime

"Great virtualization platform for macOS"

What do you like best?

A feature-rich virtualization platform that works well on macOS. Allows you to run virtually any OS on your Mac, and does it well. The Pro version has a strong feature set, allowing management of vSphere/ESXi servers. Another plus are the frequent updates to the product.

What do you dislike?

The upgrade price of new versions, which are typically released on an annual basis, could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Also look into the Parallels product.

Allows one to run Windows or Linux on their Mac, something that is very useful for developers.

Fusion review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Great product, run windows applications right on your MAC"

What do you like best?

You can run windows programs right on your Mac OSX desktop! I found a user saying to me they wished they could run Microsoft Dynamics on their macbook and when will microsoft release a client that works on Macs? I immediately answered them, you can do it right now with VMware Fusion. 2 hours later they had Fusion and Dynamics setup and were the happiest users i have ever seen.

What do you dislike?

You need to have enough available resources on your mac to be able to run a windows environment at the same time, so make sure you dont get the lowest end mac, and add some additional RAM to it if you can.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't regret it, its a must have for all mac owners.

We are now able to use Mac's when we originally thought we were restricted to only using Windows OS! Choice is a beautiful thing!

Fusion review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"VMware Fusion: VPN Usage"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, clean interface, simple to use another OS onto your computer

What do you dislike?

Install can be a bit complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware fusion can be a bit complicated to install, however once it is installed the possibilities are excellent. The ease of using another OS and getting your work done is easy and simple to use. I would recommend this to any user who needs to use another OS in their applications.

Logging into the client network in order to see test environments. This has allowed us to develop prototypes that are accurate to the latest release.

Excellent product to use for having multiple OS's on one computer. Our value has been when we can use this for iOS and WIndows platforms, as some consultants have one type of machine or the other. The client we work at is strictly PC based, and the support for iOS is not that plentiful. Giving iOS users the power to use Windows on their machines has enabled them to

Fusion review by Zach C.
Zach C.

"So easy and incredibly helpful!"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to setup a virtual machine with Fusion on a Mac, they have spent a lot of time making the process easy and intuitive. They also provide the option to install appliances and free operating systems with just a tap of the mouse! Fusion balances system resources well to allow you to utilize both your Mac system as well as any virtual machine you may be running.

What do you dislike?

The only downside of Fusion is that it kills your battery pretty quickly and can cause your computer to heat up fast. However, I don't believe this behavior is only specific to Fusion as I have experienced the same symptoms with other software.

Allows the ability to run multiple operating systems on one physical machine which makes it very easy to troubleshoot issues and test changes across multiple platforms before rolling out changes.

Fusion review by Katrina W.
Katrina W.

"VMware Fusion is a tough sell"

What do you like best?

It's nice that I can use my Mac for regular work and still have access to a Windows box for troubleshooting purposes, but that's about it.

What do you dislike?

Every instance of VMware Fusion I've ever used has always slowed down my machine and made it buggy. It takes forever to load, the key commands don't always work properly (especially if you're using a tradition Mac keyboard, and even more so if you're using a magic mouse) and I always get frustrated when I have to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only get this if you have no other option. While I'm not familiar with other virtual machine products (and so this may be the case with them all) VMware Fusion just doesn't play nicely with Macs. Installing it on a Mac makes the computer buggy, and transitioning between the Mac and Windows platforms is just difficult and frustrating.

As a person whose career involves a level of IT support, it's important to have access to both Windows and Mac platforms for troubleshooting. Using VMware Fusion is more cost effective than providing two computers for every employee.

Fusion review by Krzysztof L.
Krzysztof L.

"Good integration with OSX"

What do you like best?

Seamlessly integrates with OSX, can choose to run files in your VM or OSX as default. Also nice key profile feature where you can map certain keys or short cuts to be presented differently in the VM.

Installation is straight forward, can convert Bootcamp into VM or vice-versa

What do you dislike?

Price, there is number of open-source products available that can do mostly the same (minus the integration).

The WiFi bridging to your VM doesn't work as expect. The VM doesn't get DHCP packets, on static or LAN Bridge works correctly. VMWare never addressed this issue in past 3 major versions of this software.

Used here mostly for running Windows as VM on OSX for testing or access to software not available for OSX.

Fusion review by Erin H.
Erin H.

"VMware Fusion on a Mac"

What do you like best?

It was easy to switch between Windows and OS X. Instead of having to rely on two laptops, this makes the transition from Windows-run programs to Mac users almost seamless. It was user friendly as I was familiar with Windows and was easily to get the hand of.

What do you dislike?

Every time I signed into the program, I would have to update my Windows, and it was always a slow, tedious process. But that is the downside to using a Windows operation system. I also had network issues but I can attribute that to the IT department having their own issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient. It doesn't run as fast as if you were using only a Windows machine, but considering the size of the program, it is very efficient.

I had to use software that was only available on a Windows operating system, but I had a MacBook Air, so I was able to use VMware Fusion to run Windows on my Mac with relative ease.

Fusion review by Nigel H.
Nigel H.

"I am a VMware Fusion user on a daily basis."

What do you like best?

I love all of the features that Fusion has. I really like the ease of setting up new VMs or making quick changes to a VM settings. I also enjoy the Fusion library where I can quickly view my VMs that are in Fusion and edit/delete/run them quickly. Fusion has been rock solid also with no software crashes ever in my experience on my iMac.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike at all in my opinion. I guess I would say that the upgrade reminders are a bit annoying, and the cost can be a bit high even for upgrades. Outside of that, nothing else bad to report.

I think I have realized the ease of use and setup with using Fusion to spin up multiple VMs to test with or run legacy apps on my machine. I waste no time now with Fusion helping me be creative or try new operating systems.

Fusion review by User in Food Production
User in Food Production

"VMWare Fusion virtualization software review"

What do you like best?

Efficient, easy to use and powerful virtualization software for OSX. Very good integration with virtual machines' systems (drag-and-drop support, shared folders, dynamic resolution based on window size, etc.).

Also very good and relatively efficient integration with OSX system.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the network configuration is not enough, especially when you try to replicate a certain network structure. But for most of the times it's more than enough.

The snapshot system is OK but it could be better if more than one virtual machine could share a parent snapshot and if it was possible to run a certain snapshot more than once at a time. Other virtualization software allows this sort of features and it would be really nice to see that in a future version of VMWare Fusion.

Host virtualization from a desktop environment.

Fusion review by Jonas F.
Jonas F.

"Easy and powerful virtualization solution"

What do you like best?

It's easy and really intuitive to use even for new users. I also appreciate that almost any application provides a suitable VMDK disk appliance which you can just click and run.

What do you dislike?

Complete fully headless / CLI mode without any graphical user interface is missing yet. Also it's a bit high priced for my use cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perhaps also give VirtualBox a try as the open source competitor.

I've used it to spin up multiple web servers and test my web application on them.

Fusion review by Lukas S.
Lukas S.

"It just works"

What do you like best?

It's fast, easy to use, i almost never have any problems, it just works.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i need some advanced settings that I just can't configure inside of VMWare Fusions GUI, requiring a lot of tinkering with config files and VMWares cli tools, this can be really annoying sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using this on a notebook with a small internal hard disk you may want to use a USB or Thunderbolt hard disk for your VM images, as those can get quite big depending on the software you are installing inside.

Testing operating systems and software in a controlled and easy to use environment.

Fusion review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Great tool cross-platform development"

What do you like best?

1) Ease of switching between the host and the vm environment.

2) Sharing files between the host and the vm.

3) VM is highly configurable.

4) Lot faster and getting better with each release.

5) Unity mode

What do you dislike?

1) On Linux VM, Install tools require constant updates.

2) The software is expensive for a normal user.

3) Sometimes I gets tricky to expand the disk space

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool. It has gotten better and faster over the years.

I am using it for cross-platform development on my mac. My servers run on linux and I use VM Ware fusion to do the development and testing on my mac OSX.

Fusion review by Matthias R.
Matthias R.

"A valuable tool for development"

What do you like best?

The possibility that i can use the same VM with Fusion on Mac and also with VmWare Player/Workstation on Windows.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that i dislike. Sorry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try Fusion and you´ll we see it´s power

We are developing on Mac OS X and deploy to Mac, Linux and Windows. VmWare Fusion allows us to test our software on Fusion VMs with Linux and Windows.

Fusion review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"VMware fusion 8.1.1"

What do you like best?

Good tool for mac users to run windows as a VM as well as other operating systems. Virtual Machine library is an easy way to manage your VMs. VM library provides options to manipulate the settings of your VMs and shows the storage space taken up by each VM.

What do you dislike?

Most annoying this about Fusion is the frequency of the updates. Operationally it works fine, just a bit annoying to keep updating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good tool for Mac users to run windows seamlessly.

Great for Mac users to run window! Allows me to solve mac deficiencies by switching to windows easily and continuing with the work.

Fusion review by Ying Kit L.
Ying Kit L.

"Restricted uses on installing VM."

What do you like best?

I am a Mac user and installed VMware Fusion to test out different operating systems and I find it easy to use. Another fairly straightforward product to use.

What do you dislike?

When installing an Operating System using the ISO file, there is a restricted interface when selecting types of Operating Systems installed, hence I removed the app from my PC!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the latest version of VMware Fusion to all IT experts. It is a fairly straightforward app to use. I am Apple user and able to work just about fine with VMware Fusion.

Creating Virtualisation for education purposes and trying out new app to enhance knowledge and skills.

Fusion review by Joey Y.
Joey Y.

"One computer, multiple operating systems"

What do you like best?

The ability to run multiple sandboxed operating systems simultaneously which makes cross platform/cross-browser testing a breeze.

Also like the ability to define specific resources to allocate to each instance.

What do you dislike?

Some general UX improvements within the app would be useful, but as they are now it certainly isn't bad.

Cost: It is considerably cheaper to buy VMware Fusion and some Operating Systems than it is to buy and maintain whole machines.

Convenience, and speed: Having everything available on one machine makes testing simple and quick.

Fusion review by Maria R.
Maria R.

"VMware User"

What do you like best?

What I like about this program is that it lets you create a virtual machine within the Windows environment with another operating system, which saves having to install another operating system on the computer.

What do you dislike?

What I like least is that a large portion of memory blocks, all the memory that is allocated at the time of creation, not use it again while you are in Windows, which can sometimes be a problem.

The problem it solves, is that as a developer, sometimes needs to have more than one operating system, and with this program, that problem is solved, in a very fast and effectively.

Fusion review by John M.
John M.

"Powerful and pleasant"

What do you like best?

VMWare makes my VMs feel as if they were part of my Mac. The apps run parallel without issue, and my productivity is increased by the simplicity.

What do you dislike?

USB drives sometimes won't format correctly, so you need to be careful with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan your install ahead of time, and use a Pro version of Windows.

I am able to develop .Net apps in Visual Studio without having a proprietary setup. My installation is as if it was an actual PC.

Fusion review by User

"Review of VMware Fusion 8 "

What do you like best?

- Support for Windows 10 and El Capitan ( newest Operating Systems )

- Support for apps that use DirectX which also means enhanced graphics support

- Easier learning curve to use the software

- Better hardware support

What do you dislike?

- Improved performance may not be worth the additional upgrade price

- Less stable as compared to Parallels

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider an upgrade to VMware 8 only if you need to support Windows 10 or El Capitan. If this is not the case, I don't think it's worth an upgrade. Although it's definitely faster and better.

- Virtualization of resources

- Handling scale of networking requests

- Test driving nascent projects

- Easy handling and administration

Fusion review by User in Semiconductors
User in Semiconductors

"The #1 Virtual Machine Software!"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup

Good Stability

Performance is excellent

Compatible with almost all OS

What do you dislike?

Actually no, my favorite of all time

If the comany can hold promotion event more often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely!

(I've already replied the verification mail with my company email address. Thanks)

I'm using a Macbook when developing our programs but every now and then I've got to switch to Windows and do some documentation. It's really painful to do a dual boot (bootcamp) and that's why I decided to use a VM.

"So easy to use"

What do you like best?

Handing files off between platforms is so easy. The interface is easier to understand than I thought. I have not had any issues with fusion since I installed it over four years ago.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! The file transfer between Mac and PC is the only issue I thought I would have, and it has not been a problem so far.

I am a graphic designer so most of my work is done on the Mac side. However, some programs such as ArtiosCAD and Internet explorer require a windows workspace. This has allowed me to work in both operating systems on one computer.

Fusion review by Duane B.
Duane B.

"We use Fusion to run many windows applications on MACs"

What do you like best?

We have a very diverse compute environment for different teams within our company. Sometimes, IT does not have MAC base applications and we need to be able to run Windows applications on those systems. This solves all our problems in one simple package.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints about this product. I only wish I knew about it earlier. My life would have been much easier.

We need to run windows based applications, but not everyone in the company is running windows. We use this software to run windows applications on MAC.

Fusion review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great for mac on a budget."

What do you like best?

It runs guest OS Virtual machines with ease on my mac's. from windows, to Linux. A great must for anyone who needs access to windows based programs that don't run on mac (Microsoft no likey!) or Linux based programs on a PC. Can also drag and drop files from the guest OS to your own desktop. Makes things easier! It runs better than virtual box too ;)

What do you dislike?

Compared to Parallells, it isn't a smooth running and can be abit laggy!

Having access to multiple guests OS makes developing easier, faster and more dynamic among different OS without the need of a bunch of different test machines!

Fusion review by Collette K.
Collette K.

"VMware Fusion"

What do you like best?

It is better than virtual box, settings options are easy to navigate, VM ware tools is great

What do you dislike?

running multiple virtual machines at a time is sometimes a problem, getting vmware tools to run sometimes is a problem

Running windows programs on a mac, creating new environments for testing

Fusion review by Jane L.
Jane L.

"Ease of use"

What do you like best?

Make using multiple platforms easier than having to load up Windows through Bootcamp

What do you dislike?

It take more resources than it should, and Windows doesn't see the proper amount of memory available.

Not having to purchase additional equipment for running different operating systems

Fusion review by Sergey T.
Sergey T.

"Trusted and very helpful tool"

What do you like best?

Very good performance, easy to setup and maintain virtual machines. Possibility to make VM snapshots is very useful.

What do you dislike?

It is impossible to start VM in headless mode using GUI.

Using VM as development environment. It's easy to experiment with environment using snapshots: if anything goes wrong just rollback your changes. Also it's nice to have different VMs with different environments for different projects.

Fusion review by Rod M.
Rod M.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, easy to customize VMs and snapshot.

What do you dislike?

Became unsupported on Mac OS X after only two years so had to purchase another version of the product.

This product solves the overhead and complex manageability of buying separate hardware by allowing all of the same feature set as VMware's own vSphere, all while running standalone on your desktop.

Fusion review by Derek R.
Derek R.

"VMware Fusion is a virtualization engine for professionals"

What do you like best?

I use VMware Fusion to host a CentOS VM on my Macbook Pro. I performs very well. I love the ability to take snapshots, share folders, and the native integrations provided by VMware Tools.

What do you dislike?

I always forget the keystroke required to release the mouse. Control + Cmd

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you a want a reliable and performant VM host for professional use, then VMware Fusion is for you.

I write software for CentOS machines but use a Macbook Pro.

Fusion review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Good software for emulating different Operating Systems"

What do you like best?

Able to run seamlessly familiar applications in windows and my El Capitan. Switch between different OS , share files and folders across multiple OS.

What do you dislike?

The virtual machines created from vmware fusion sometimes do not do well in terms of performance. Connecting different USB devices has been known to give troubles. Intermittent networking and internet issues.

Hosting Multiple Operating Systems for the entire team on a single hardware.

Fusion review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Not Worth It"

What do you like best?

It's very helpful to have a virtual machine, especially as a developer. Being able to test code on multiple instances while staying on the same machine is a great benefit.

What do you dislike?

VMWare Fusion is buggy, slow, and overall not worth the time. Every time I started up VMWare, it would completely eat up my CPU, causing my machine to be extremely slow. This defeated the purpose of the software, because coding and developing on a slow machine is almost unbearable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a different product to use as a virtual machine. I was working with a brand new Mac and still had horrible lagging and bug issues, and it ate a massive amount of my CPU.

I was testing web code on multiple machines, making sure that it looked the same on all browsers on both Mac and PC.

Fusion review by William L. S.
William L. S.

"A bridge between OSes"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

Resourse limitations to run some multiple Operating Systems can be too intense for a basic workstation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be wary when deploying this to a group, administration of this software in on a user by user basis. There is no centra managment as in VDI or VCenter which makes administration more tedious.

The development team being supported needed ways to test out different version of java, browsers, etc before they deployed their builds. Fusion allowed the Mac users to test on thier workstation also.

Fusion review by Bree V.
Bree V.

"VMware Fusion"

What do you like best?

Ability to run a windows OS on my mac, it makes running Windows program easy. It is easy to setup individual VMs, change the settings within each VM

What do you dislike?

Running multiple VMs at a time is a pain. Having to shut down the VM to change certain settings, ability to run vmware tools on certain VMs sometimes does not work

running windows programs on a mac

Fusion review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"The best solution to run Windows along side your MacOS"

What do you like best?

I've been using both VMWare Fusion and Parallels for 5+ years now. VMWare Fusion is very stable and does a great job of running Windows as an application on my Mac. They have improved the product greatly over the years and it's to the point where integration is fairly seamless (assuming you have enough (RAM).

What do you dislike?

You need as much RAM as possible so that your machine does not slow down. I'm much more mobile nowadays and Fusion tend to really take it's toll on smaller laptops like the Mac Book Air. So it's not ideal to run them simultaneously for longer periods as you would at home/office on a desktop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have numerous business apps that must run on Windows and this has allowed me to continue using my Mac and still run Windows applications.

Fusion review by W. Daniel B.
W. Daniel B.

"Great product. Latest version is much better than Parallels"

What do you like best?

Snapshot and Time Machine integration works very well. Great support for USB passthrough.

What do you dislike?

Interface and OSX integration isn't as slick as Parallels. Price is a bit high and upgrades are often charged for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricey software but more powerful than Virtualbox and more stable than Parallels.

Prototyping java based solutions such as Weblogic, Coherence, and micro services.

Fusion review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"An OK hypervisor"

What do you like best?

Simple to set up and use, useful for running VM images that aren't compatible with VirtualBox. Integration with OSX is convenient at times, if a little confusing at first.

What do you dislike?

Hard to navigate settings, not as easy to find a specific setting as VirtualBox.

Running prebuilt or other self build VM images on the mac.

Fusion review by Jesse K.
Jesse K.

"Great"

What do you like best?

Use this for work daily. Works as it should and lets me work from home

What do you dislike?

There were issues with it where I would need to re-install the program for it to work again

I can work remotely wherever I am and have an internet connection

Fusion review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great VMware Platform for Mac!"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is use. I can build and destroy multiple (primarily Linux) OS builds within my OSX environment. There are also OVA files that make deploying and playing with other OS's even easier.

What do you dislike?

At least with the versions I worked with, I couldn't deploy Windows OS VM on Fusion. Not sure there are ways around this or license purchases required, but this is a big limitation with this verision.

Linux OS Testing on available Mac Hardware. Repurposing old hardware.

Fusion review by Rickard v.
Rickard v.

"Great tool"

What do you like best?

Good support for many different guest virtual machine os'es.

What do you dislike?

Complicated command line tool. Lack of coherence mode.

Running Linux and BSD os'es for development.

Fusion review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Networking
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Networking

"Good for mac users for specific applications but quite slow"

What do you like best?

At my work, some application doesnt have mac version, so i have to use it and it gives the exact windows feeling and i like that.

What do you dislike?

Very slow at times and crashes which makes it annoying to use at times and affect my performance

Even being a mac user, Its not stopping my work for the specific windows supported applications

Fusion review by User in Restaurants
User in Restaurants

"Great software! "

What do you like best?

Loved the ease of the program. It's even easy for non IT folks to use.

What do you dislike?

I had one issue when I did not do the updates. Hard lesson learned, always do the updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly reccomend the product. Very way to use even for non It folks!

Going between windows and Mac worlds is a breeze with this program.

Fusion review by Dino L.
Dino L.

"best virtualization for mac"

What do you like best?

This is the fastest and reliable virtualization product for the mac

What do you dislike?

new major versions are not compatible with older osx

Recommendations to others considering the product

best of all virtualization products

using visio for windows on my mac or vsphere client is now possible.

Fusion review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Review of VMWare Fusion"

What do you like best?

Nice interface. Easy to use. All of the features of VMware Desktop on a Mac. Easy to Install and Configure.

What do you dislike?

The install package is a bit big for a laptop install.

Fusion allows me to access other systems from my mac. It greatly enhances my ability to manage and administer a diverse environment.

Fusion review by User in Computer Software

"VMware Fusion review"

What do you like best?

Fusion is quite good in terms of performance comparing to VirtualBox for example, especially to run Windows on Mac

What do you dislike?

It's relatively high priced as for me cause my usage of it is not critical for my day-to-day work

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're OK with price and would like to have min overhead in terms of performance of your VMs use it

To run VMs with dev env built-in

Fusion review by Greg M.
Greg M.

"Good option for virtualizing Windows inside your Mac"

What do you like best?

Allows you to run your Windows programs within OS X. Solid integration between the two operating systems, including conveniences one would expect like clipboard sharing, drag-and-drop, the ability to launch Windows programs from the dock, etc. Easy to share files between the two. Handy wizard lets you migrate your existing PC over to a virtual machine for use inside of VMware Fusion, which can be great for new Mac converts who are still nervous about leaving Windows behind. Pricing is also cheaper than Parallels, and for personal (non-commercial) users, the license extends to however many Macs you own.

What do you dislike?

Performance is solid, but still somewhat reduced by the virtualization of the guest OS. Requires plenty of RAM, and since newer Macs cannot be upgraded, make sure you plan ahead in this department when buying hardware. Also, you will need a Windows operating system license, which will raise the cost of this solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very similar to Parallels Desktop. Your preference for one or the other will probably come down to little differences; for me it's Parallels.

Fusion review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great VR for your Mac"

What do you like best?

Extremely fast and reported the highest benchmark ranking from PC Mags testing. More of a technical interface rather than the attractive looks of Parallels. I didn't notice any performance difference between Fusion and Parallels while running a VM of Windows 8.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't look nearly as good as Parallels.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a light user just looking to virtualize Windows, get Parallels.

Learning about Fusion?

* We monitor all Fusion reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.