VMware vCenter

VMware vCenter Server provides a centralized platform for managing your VMware vSphere environments so you can automate and deliver a virtual infrastructure with confidence.

Work for VMware vCenter?

Learning about VMware vCenter?

VMware vCenter Reviews

Showing 148 VMware vCenter reviews
VMware vCenter review by Wanda B.
Wanda B.

"VMWare lessens hardware needs"

What do you like best?

we are able to consolidate hardware and provide needed servers for our agency. It also helps with management of those servers. we have also been able to cut our over all cost to manage the servers including migrating servers as needed and building new servers in VMware vs physical servers. We reduced the need for a consultant to build every time we needed a new server.

What do you dislike?

The pricing structure for us as we are a not for profit and would like to have more features but we can not afford to do so. We use a lower version and do not have Vmotion which would enable us to move from server to server again this is because of the cost of the upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in consolidating physical hardware, using higher end more effecient servers plus having a user friendly interface this product should fit the bill.

consolidated 15 physical servers on to 2 servers, this allowed us to manage our agency farm in a more efficient manner. It also helped with our return on investment because we were able to purchase several high capacity / higher end servers to replace the older lower end, lower preforming servers.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about VMware vCenter
VMware vCenter review by Greg G.
Greg G.

"It just works..."

What do you like best?

For me, it's ease of use. I'm not the primary administrator, but 6.0 and the included web client provides me all of the resources I need to do my job without headaches. I'm the company DB/BI manager so I have a small subset of VMs that I manage, but I can't remember a time where I've had to spend any time on a forum or with support because vCenter wasn't performing.

What do you dislike?

I see where they're going with the web client, but I still prefer the thick client. While all of the feature set I need is in the web client, it just feels slower than the thick client. The primary admins of our VMWare environment dislike the web client enough to not upgrade to 6.5.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have more than 1 or 2 hosts, it's worth it to get vCenter so you can get the high availability and time savings it provides. Even if you haven't considered it in quite some time, check out the current version...it might be time to re-evaluate.

We have 8 hosts to manage. We needed a single interface to go where we could manage our infrastructure and provide high availability. The benefits I've seen are that I can do everything I need to do without surfing through 8 hosts and having to schedule downtime of my SQL servers when infrastructure repairs need to be made.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

VMware vCenter review by Stephen T.
Stephen T.

"Rock Solid Virtualization"

What do you like best?

VMware vSphere is the 'big-dog' in the hypervisor market. It's stable, flexible and versatile. vCenter gives you the ability to move your virtual machines between hosts (think 'hardware server') even across the geographical region. It's easy to back up, easy to manage (after just a little training) and with the newer versions, the web GUI is excellent.

What do you dislike?

My biggest issue is the cost--only because we're a state school and it's a healthy portion of our budget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework--fully--when you're evaluating virtualization software. Yes there are open-source products (even VMware has a free ESXi) but they're limited in scope and capability. We've evaluated the Hyper-V, but it really doesn't do VDI. We looked at Citrix, but there's not as much expertise in the industry as VMware. We have been approached by Oracle and Redhat to consider their solutions--but support, ease of hiring new employees--is so much better with VMware. Plus if you are in the position--bring existing employees 'up' by getting their certs--and there are few better than the VCD.

Heat dissipation, power consumption, rack space, management, maintenance, reboot times--shall I go on?

VMware vCenter review by Tim L.
Tim L.

"Invaluable"

What do you like best?

We use the Enterprise Plus licensing and find great value in the ability to apply profiles to our hosts to ensure configuration uniformity across all hosts. The power of the distributed switching also makes configuring everything a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I cannot do my job without vCenter and I find the latest upgrades only make the system better each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I find that most of the people that don't like the Web Interface don't like it because they are used to the management interface of the Thick Client. Once they figure out the process for accomplishing the tasks in the Web Client the transition is simple. However, with the upcoming retirement of the Flash based web client they might want to just wait until all of the features are made available in the HTML client before switching.

We are able to manage all of our hosts with the built in Update Manager and apply updates to all hosts with just a few clicks. Maintaining and applying configurations across all hosts is simple and reporting on any deviations is a breeze.

VMware vCenter review by Tyler W.
Tyler W.

"vCenter is the best (only) orchestrator for ESXi boxes"

What do you like best?

vCenter works pretty well for managing multiple ESXi boxes. In reality, it is the only choice you have. It's easy to add licenses, hosts, create clusters of said hosts, add datastores, etc. The new HTML5 gui is pretty great!

What do you dislike?

Here's what I dislike about vCenter:

- There's now the desktop vSphere client, the web (Flash) vSphere client, and now, the web (HTML5) client. None of these are 100%. They should've focussed on one client and made it awesome.

- Managing permissions for who can deploy VMs, access datastores, etc. is painful. Be prepared to spend a week of your time on getting permissions right.

I can manage several ESXi boxes and datastores via vCenter - all of my items in one place. This has saved me an incredible amount of time!

VMware vCenter review by William J.
William J.

"Brilliant Enterprise Class platform"

What do you like best?

Enterprise class features that have been a game changer for us. We now have a large VMWare estate running more consolidated servers than ever before. The features to VMOTION and load balance across hosts is fantastic and you can see why this product is top of the game at the moment.

What do you dislike?

Retirement of the Desktop client is a real bug bare for me. It is still by far the best way of accessing servers console and the web client is buggy and has problems on many platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it you will not regret it. Seems expensive but it really is worth every penny.

Lack of physical space and an ever increasing demand for servers. VMWare is perfect for this as we can consolidate many many servers into one physical host.

VMware vCenter review by anthony p.
anthony p.

"Best in class"

What do you like best?

We no longer worry about what type of server that needs to be implemented, supported or monitored. This allows us to feel comfortable with the overall health and performance of our environment as well as all of your customers. VMware is highly integrated with all of the technology tools that an MSP or IT staff could ever want.

What do you dislike?

Paying for licensing but that's true with everything that is worth having. It would be nice it we didn't need certified engineers to move up in terms of partnership.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with VMware

Implementing this across multiple clients has allowed us to efficiently provide support for larger networks. We can now do this with less manpower while saving customers with less power, cooling and hardware costs.

VMware vCenter review by Michael J.
Michael J.

"Vmware Vcenter 5.5"

What do you like best?

New to Vcenter ESXI from formerly a HyperV Environment. The Centralized Management and built in tools that integrate with Storage and UCP Environments are great.

What do you dislike?

Some things are not available in the current version that should be. Such as the ability to expand vmdk files over 2TB in space. Also the inability to snapshot shared VMDK is a big issue. Competitors have been able to provide this feature for several years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommend considering all of your needs and options before simply purchasing VmWare. It does a lot of what the mast majority requires but there may be other products available which would suite your needs.

The main business problem is Virtualization for a large environment requiring VM stability. The main benefits is the ease of use and dependability.

VMware vCenter review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Virtual server mangement superiority"

What do you like best?

Great management of virtual servers. HA, clusters, shared storage - everything works the way it's supposed to. I have been using VMware since 3.5, and they just keep adding more features and usability with every release.

What do you dislike?

The balance between web interface and installed client. They are still "phasing out" the installed management client, and I feel like at some point they should just stop supporting it altogether, especially with the improvements in the web GUI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want more versatility in a hypervisor than hyper-v, VMware is the way to go. VirtualCenter ties it altogether.

We are able to allow all of our engineers visibility into the virtual server environment with vCenter. The learning and adoption of the interface for new techs is very fast. Being able to leverage compute resources to facilitate application and server needs as needed is awesome - no more building a new server just to get more performance - just add more hardware, and adjust the VM accordingly. Very little downtime!

VMware vCenter review by Administrator

"Vmware vCenter is an completly tool for managements of virtual machines enviroment"

What do you like best?

the best of vCenter is its intuitive interface that puts everything at your fingertips when you need it, in a single environment you can manage storage, networks, and of course virtual machines. Another thing that I really like about vCenter is that, being a web interface, it allows access without having to install a client.

What do you dislike?

One thing I do not like about vCenter is the issue of licensing and its restrictions, compared to its competitors this is a negative point. On the other hand, the performance reports of vm and logs, is something they should work on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the real intention of implement vCenter is to make the most of all its features, high availability is one of them and perhaps the most important for data center environments where operation must be maintained at all times. otra recomendacion es separar el trafico de red de acuerdo a sus necesidades, por ejemplo las redes de vmotion administracion y vm propiamente.

Currently in my work there are 3 HA clusters, where esxi6 is installed in each blade managed by vCenter server and the centralized management of all these hosts makes the work of resource allocation management much easier.

VMware vCenter review by Bill E.
Bill E.

"VMware VirtualCenter; An Indispensable Tool"

What do you like best?

As a VMware Administrator, I find myself using VMware VirtualCenter daily. I find this interface the be the hub of everything going on within my infrastructure. First thing each morning, logging into VMware VirtualCenter has become as routine as getting that first cup of coffee. From there, I can quickly get a sense of the pulse of the environment, and determine fairly quickly where my attention needs to be.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick a dislike for VMware VirtualCenter, it would be that I'd like to see it bring more analytics front and center. Having as much information as possible within one GUI does nothing but help me as a VMware Administrator.

Prior to VMware VirtualCenter, we really had no single point of entry for our datacenter. Without this visibility, it makes it hard to get an overall pulse of your environment, quickly. VMware VirtualCenter does exactly that for us. Having this product has become so engrained in our daily routines, NOT having it is no longer an option.

VMware vCenter review by Jim S.
Jim S.

"Virtually everything you need for your virtual environment"

What do you like best?

One of my favorite features with VMWare is the ease of use. It is easy to create an server. It is easy to clone a server. It is easy to make point in time snapshots of servers before you make any changes to it. It is easy to categorize your servers. It is also easy to manage the storage your servers are on. Vmotion is incredibly useful and is used often in my environment.

What do you dislike?

The GUI interface is not bad, but it something that could use a little more user customization. It's a start that you can pin items to the GUI, like alarms and recent tasks, but maybe an environment dashboard that shows performance or things along that line would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This application has a great interface. it is easy to use. It is easy to locate your VMs, the LUNs they are on, and the status they are all in. It is easy to reconfigure your VMs if needed. The resource monitors are very useful. It is a great product.

VMware has been incredibly useful at remote sites due to limited space at those locations for physical boxes. It allows for easy provisioning of servers at those sites and allows for speedy backups for disaster recovery. It allows remote administration of those sites as well. It limits travel and it limits the amount of hardware failures we could potentially have at those sites.

VMware vCenter review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"6.5, a lesson in not listening to customers and lost productivity"

What do you like best?

I love the hypervisor; stable, reliable, great features. vCenter, when working, is mostly reliable.

What do you dislike?

The web interface that is now mandatory as of 6.5 is an absolute nightmare. Any company that had a policy banning Adobe Flash now must backtrack and allow it given the HTML5 interface only partly works. The web interface itself, regardless of which one you use, is a mess of random failures, not knowing what VM you're really acting on, not knowing what host you're changing a setting or service status on, not knowing if status being reflected is accurate or not, so on and so forth. Moving around in it is clunky and time consuming. My staff waste so much more time doing common tasks in 6.5 than prior versions. I've complained to my sales rep, doesn't seem to help and I've seen no indication that Vmware cares.

The only saving grace has been that running it as an appliance has greatly reduced its resource consumption and licensing costs compared to Windows + SQL. Speaking of licensing though, the features that should be in vCenter, require vRealize, and the pricing on that is absolutely stupid. I can get nearly the same functionality for free by just buying Nimble storage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know nothing about HyperV, but it's on my radar given how frustrating 6.5's interface is.

It has helped greatly in virtualization and removing unnecessary power circuits / rack space.

VMware vCenter review by Scott E.
Scott E.

"The gold standard for straightforward virtualization management."

What do you like best?

This is a mature product and really the only way to effectively manage VMware's hypervisor. It has gone through several iterations (current version is 6.x) and includes nearly all of the required functional in an easy to find format and layout. Depending on the licenses purchased, it allows you to migrate a VM from one host to another, from one storage location to another (both without downtime), automatically distribute VMs across the hosts.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, VMware is in a transition state -- they have a "web client" as well as a traditional client, and some of the functionality that use to be in the traditional fat client has moved to the web client. I'm not a fan of the web client -- it seems to be very slow and unreliable.

Also -- linking several vCenters together can be convenient, but introduces significant lag to the product (especially over high-latency links). The product, from time to time, stops displaying current information or menus disappear, causing you to restart the application (which takes several minutes to start).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think twice about connecting multiple vCenters together -- especially if they are across high-latency links. While it is nice to have a complete consolidated view in one spot, it does introduce lag to the tool as it brings in the information.

Again, it manages our hypervisor deployment. With the hypervisor, we can consolidate our server footprint to fewer physical servers, while allowing for greater flexibility, agility, and reliability of our infrastructure.

vCenter is the tool to co-ordinate all those activities.

VMware vCenter review by Bobby W.
Bobby W.

"VMWare VirtualCenter review"

What do you like best?

VMWare has been a long time product used in our company. the ability to change from physical machines that constantly need attention to creating a whole virtual environment with one stop maintenance for all of the servers is an Administrators Dream.

What do you dislike?

if I had to pick one thing that I dislike it will have to be the VCenter Web Management experience. I know that with the latest release it has gotten much better, but with the version that we are still on, it is lacking in a bunch of places. but that is ok. at least I can read where the company knows about this and they are working to address it in future releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering delving into the Virtual world of Servers and Desktops, make sure that VMWare is on the top of the list. while other companies are out there, I don't think you can find a better company around with as much experience.

the business problems that we are solving is that we are migrating to a virtual desktop experience for all of our users, so no more having to maintain physical desktops who's always needing some type of update or upgrade. from a single point, we can push updates to all of our VDI's over night to maintain an across the board level of expertise.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Best options in a virtualization platform"

What do you like best?

The better features of vCenter include the ability to customize your VM's hardware and resources. This includes stuff you wont find in Hyper-V, like multiple options for your network adapter, IDE and SCSI controllers, and various USB features for pass-through.

What do you dislike?

Some more advanced features and customization require a little command line experience or modifying the VMX file for a VM. With some of the newer versions of vCenter these should start making their way into the web client. And that's another issue people have lately, the requirement to use the web client. People like the old "thick" client used in versions before 6.0 and yet we are forced to use the web for newer features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the version/license you select is in line with your needs, and that your environment has the resources it needs to take full advantage of the product, like storage platform and your network.

The ability to maximize our hardware to its full potential by hosting several server VMs on each physical box, and with vcenter we can manage this all from one console. Having several ESX clusters and even remote locations makes managing all these resources a struggle, but with vCenter we can easily see everything in one console and work across the environment with ease.

VMware vCenter review by Tran P.
Tran P.

"A must have management tool in VMWare environment with more than one ESX servers"

What do you like best?

A comprehensive administrative tool that make VMWare administrator's life much easier. The vMotion works amazingly with very little potential glitches. Also the way it manage virtual network is quite flexible and stable, transparent to the virtual machines

What do you dislike?

- Live vMotion is not possible. It must be done using web client. This is weird. I dont know how come this is a must

- Some times some virtual machines hang to start endlessly without a clear reason

- The monitoring and logging information is not very clear and not user friendly so the troubleshouting would take much effort

- The vCenter server cosumes quite a lot of computing resource

Recommendations to others considering the product

It worth business budget for vCenter as very basic handy tool to manage VMWare virtual infrastrucure, especially if the business has ongoing number of new projects. It helps reduce the total cost of ownership and make the return of inverstment faster significantly

- Managing effectively the VMWare virtual environment. vCenter gives a clear view of virtual data center infrastructure

- Provisioning resources for new projects in a timely fashion. With vCenter most of the projects are deployed in hours instead of days

- Rearranging resources between the physical infrastructure when new projects come. With vMotion we can get the most out of the existing physical hardware

VMware vCenter review by Evan G.
Evan G.

"VCSA 6 Review"

What do you like best?

The ease of deploying vCenter with a single OVA file and using a PostgreSQL database vs a sql database on Windows.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike, if I had to name something it would probably be the fact that the web client is so much different than the C sharp client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Move away from the Windows vCenter installations and go with VCSA appliances!

Ability to provide business with 5 9's infrastructure uptime and the ability to troubleshoot performance issues from a single pane of glass

VMware vCenter review by Mark C.
Mark C.

"VMware VCenter is great for managing VMs"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see all of my VMs in a single view; manage my VMs individually or in groups; see alerts and quickly get to the sources thereof; cluster hosts and resources which then can automatically VMotion servers to access resources; and can use features for multiple hosts that you don't get when managing hosts individually, like dvSwitch.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that many of the alarms, tasks and events do have explanations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is, in my opinion, expensive and may be difficult for small businesses to afford but, if you can afford it, it is worth the money.

I save a lot of time by having a single interface where I can manage all of my VMs and hosts.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"The most powerful Virtual product I have ever used."

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use. It makes running our HA virtual environment a piece of cake. Meanwhile it still has several advanced features to support the most complex of setups. I have tried other solutions and they don't come close to the features.

What do you dislike?

At times the HA can be a bit touchy. We have also had it crash on a very rare occasion. We didn't have any data loss and a patch has resolved the issue and it has never re-occuried.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The trick is to make absolute sure your are licensing the features you need. Everything is a check box unless you purchase essentials. My other recommendation would be to make sure you have a support contract and keep it current. It will save you money and time and frustation.

We have resolved the need for a robust virtual environment that fully supports high availability. We have realized a tremendous ease and reliability that has kept the host always available to the end users.

VMware vCenter review by Alfred T.
Alfred T.

"Vmware Virtual Center"

What do you like best?

I do not know many colleagues or companies that don't use VMWare or have not used Vmware. The virtual center has improved over the years from a thick gui to HTML5 based gui. The interface is very straight forward to understand and very easy to pickup.

There is a free version of the ESXi available for many labing as well as plenty of documentation and white papers and knowledge online for beginners to learn.

What do you dislike?

VM networking has come a long ways. However, VMware's top switching platform the distributed switch is still quite lacking in terms of enterprise features compared to physical switches. It forces uses to rely on Cisco's Nexus1000v offering for more of the advanced features which is cumbersome to deploy. It would be nice to have some simple features such as showing the mac address table to port mappings come in the basic installation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VCenter is a must have in order to leverage enterprise features. Consider using a virtual appliance. It runs headless so you don' t have to setup another Windows OS host it.

Vmware has been helped many companies to converge and reduce server foot print in the datacenter. Adminstrators are also capable of spinning up systems on a click of the button reducing the mean time to deploy a new system.

VMware vCenter review by Nick S.
Nick S.

"Does Everything You'd Expect A Virtual Environment To Do"

What do you like best?

It works! It seems really silly to say but with a product like this, stability is key so the fact that we've never run into any issues with it crashing is honestly the highest praise it can get.

What do you dislike?

The version that we have is a little old and the interface is dated but I'm fairly certain that this is not the case in newer versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When it comes to server vituralization, your only real options are this and Hyper-V and it really comes down to preference between the two platforms and your willingness to pay extra for something that I would consider better. A lot of people prefer Microsoft and that's great, but in my opinion this sort of thing should be done on Linux for the most light-weight implementation, allowing resources to be allocated to the guests rather than the host.

VMWare is the backbone of our enterprise. It allows us to have virtualized servers through a VM Host and it comprises nearly all of the servers that our company uses.

VMware vCenter review by User

"Easy Remote Desktop Access"

What do you like best?

This application has been easy for me to use. I also have a team of 19 Call Center Support Agents, along with the rest of our company who are set up with VMware for remote access. This has made it easy for us to implement a Work From Home option during inclement weather where the additional hardware needed is cost effective based on the VMware software download.

What do you dislike?

At times, when we reboot our servers, which is done weekly, some employees are not able to connect and they have to be rebooted on the back end by IT Services. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, there is an inconvenience. Additionally when working from home, if there is a fluctuation with your internet speed, you will get booted of and have to log back in. This is an intermittent thing as well, just inconvenient,.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, it works well for us and we are a smaller privately owned company. I would say that I can attest to this working well on a smaller scale. I cannot confirm how this works on a larger scale.

Again, this has made it easy for us to implement a Work From Home option during inclement weather where the additional hardware needed is cost effective based on the VMware software download. Additionally, if there are any hardware problems, this application can be downloaded onto a personal PC or Laptop, which is VERY convenient for an emergency situation and staffing.

VMware vCenter review by Miguel C.
Miguel C.

"works just fine "

What do you like best?

It is really easy to use, once installed you can forget about it and do your work on it with no problems, we have several hosts from sql and web servers to test clients with distinct specific configurations and this help us to manage all those hosts fast

What do you dislike?

the web client, i feel it slower than the normal client , i think is the only con that i have with this software

Recommendations to others considering the product

consider reviewing the last version for any upgrade to the web client

help us to manage and mantain our hosts up an running all time from a single interface , we cut our support time with this tool

VMware vCenter review by Arno S.
Arno S.

"VMWare review"

What do you like best?

With respect to VMWare, my team and I like the ability to have basically a partition of a server that is separated and exclusive of other parts of the system. This reduces the hardware costs that would normally be incurred with having a separate server for each instance.

What do you dislike?

With respect to VMWare, my team and I do not like the ability to have a physical server broken up into separate exclusive instances. While this may reduce the space and cost of hardware, it also increases the need to monitor each of the VMWare instances with respect to resource utilization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are looking to reduce hardware costs and especially footprint, then VMWare is the way to go.

From a business perspective, the existence of VMWare reduces the cost and space of hardware.The cost of separate pieces of hardware is expensive and the amount of space that these collectively take up is very big. VMWare reduces the overall cost and heavily reduces the footprint.

VMware vCenter review by Waheed M.
Waheed M.

"Overall positive experience but it can always improve and be better."

What do you like best?

It is intuitive and newer version more user friendly. We are using vSAN for vSphere 6.x cluster to manage the infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see more API integration and more Open Source options. Also, it is admin centric but needs to be developer focused as well since DevOps is inevitable. Licensing needs to be streamlined. We would like to implement SDDC and would like better integration for different infrastructure stacks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your due diligence. When we started our virtualization, choices were limited and other offerings were immature. But the market dynamics have changed and there are alternatives available.

Open Stack seems very attractive and Hyper V has come long way. It all depends on your needs, comfort level and skill set.

We are looking for a single pane of glass. Like many others, we would like to adopt a DevOps models with CI/CD. Further, automation is a key and we have vRA and vRO that integrates within vCenter that allows us to automate IaaS at a very basic level.

VMware vCenter review by Martin H.
Martin H.

" improved UIs, stronger security and better support for containerized applications."

What do you like best?

improved UIs, stronger security and better support for containerized applications. At the core of VMware is the central management point of Virtual Center. This enables centralized management, advanced functionality and a place for 3rd party vendor support for a variety of tools, monitoring and automation.

What do you dislike?

The installation process is not smooth for me. Cannot start the VMware VirtualCenter Server service.

Manually starting the VMware VirtualCenter Server service by navigating to Computer Management > Services and Applications > Service > VMware VirtualCenter Server fails. Then I saw the error:

Windows could not start the VMware VirtualCenter Server on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 2.

Eventually, I asked IT support to help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware is pretty big company, so it's very reliable

We used it in daily operation.

VMware vCenter review by Brian B.
Brian B.

"VMware vCenter Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, HA, vMotion, multiple network adapters and the ability to customize a VM's resources.

What do you dislike?

vCenter Web Management experience is awful. With HTML things are a little better, but some of the functionality does not work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the fully functional trial version. Good support and you can find tons of KB articles posted all over the internet.

Reduced cost, space and hardware. Single location for Host, Clusters and VM management

Administrator in Education Management

"VMWare makes setting up servers easier"

What do you like best?

We have been using VMWare for eight years. This software along with the EMC hardware where it is installed, allows us to set up and use as many as thirty virtual servers. Previously, we purchased actual physical servers for all of our in-house applications. Purchasing that much hardware is far more expensive. A virtual environment allows servers to share resources, meaning if one application is not being used as heavily as another at a particular time, it borrows RAM (Random Access Memory) from another.

What do you dislike?

It can be tedious trying to tweak things to get all the servers to perform efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you purchase enough resources.

VMWare makes purchasing servers less expensive and more efficient. We can set up a server and then check to see if we have allocated too much hard drive space or RAM to it and shift things around.

VMware vCenter review by Krzysztof L.
Krzysztof L.

"Good but could be better"

What do you like best?

I have been following the vCentre since they developed it. Like the idea of web gui, and being able to manage it from any browser on any platform.. In the beginning the GUI was slow and unresponsive. This has changed now, there are still few issues that hang the browser and need refresh. Integrates well with hybrid cloud connector and all versions of ESXis on the network.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes unintuitive and clunky, takes too many click to move from host to vm to datastore and view relations.

Deployment can be painful, can be either as appliance (with limitations) or installed on Windows platform (needs windows license and added system maintenance). Also needs full SQL otherwise can only support 5 hosts with built in database.

Seems like VMWare doesn't follow one idea. The biggest issue is that you still need the desktop client to perform some functions that are not available in vCentre and vice versa. In order to use newest hardware release you need vCentre but then you cannot manage it via desktop client.

VM management is made really easy with VMWare products. With the use of vCentre you can see and manage all your hosts and clusters from one place.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Administrator in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"#1 tool when you are running VMware virtual enterprise environment"

What do you like best?

vCenter is a solid and matured product that manages your vSphere hosts in a very reliable fashion. We have about 20 hosts connected, making a cluster with vCenter's help. This provides great flexibility in the environment with the number of features like vMotion, DRS, host affinity rules, snapshots etc.

What do you dislike?

Well, I don't particularly like the speed of the web client (however it has improved in vCenter 6 vs. 5.5) and don't like the fact that certain features are only available in the web client and certain other ones are only in the traditional fat client. I wish everything was available at the same place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the fully functional trial version first if you are not sure you wanted to buy it.

Managing our virtual environment at four different physical locations. Benefits are time saving (versus manual management), feature richness, plugins from the different vendors (storage, backups etc.)

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"The best hypervisor solution"

What do you like best?

VMware's constant innovation and support puts it way ahead of Microsoft's hyper-v. vCenter is the center point of all vmware related products. The single pane of glass makes things easy to get to.

What do you dislike?

The fact that the interface is flash based. VMware is currently making the HTML5 interface better but its still missing a ton of functionality.

We are a 100% virtualized shop, so not having to buy hardware for each and every server is a huge cost saver. We also get all the mobility of a virtualized infrastructure. Need to bring up a server for DR purposes in a remote datacenter, CAN DOOOO!

VMware vCenter review by Charles J.
Charles J.

"A must have when working with VMWare"

What do you like best?

The product provides a single unified interface for managing your VMWare infrastructure. You can also setup security in such a fashion that it provides read only information to your customers, so that you do not have to.

What do you dislike?

It is a bulky product, meaning that you need to install other things in order to get it's full functionality (i.e. a separate server, database, etc)

vCenter provided us with centralized management for our VMWare infrastructure. By installing it, we reduced our management time by 50% which gave my team back the ability to look at additional upgrades to our environments.

VMware vCenter review by Kyle P.
Kyle P.

"VM vCenter: VM Standard"

What do you like best?

Great interface, easy to use, access anywhere with newer versions

What do you dislike?

Forcing online interface was a poor decision. Online is much slower and clunky

Recommendations to others considering the product

In future versions allow the use of the vsphere client, rather than forcing the browser client. Or work on increasing the functionality of the HTML5 version.

Hosting a large amount of machines easily. Ability to add and remove machines on the fly.

Administrator in Education Management

"Best system I have used for managing VDI"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to see what's happening behind the scenes of your VMWare Horizon management client. It's where I create my linked clones masters and organize my folders containing my various VDI vms.

What do you dislike?

It's easy to have some linked clone vms fall out of synch with the horizon database . It results in having to manipulate the database manually outside of the GUI interface. It can be time consuming when dealing with many pools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

vCenter is very easy to setup. Even though it seems logical to setup as a VM, there are many reasons to make it physical. Read up on the pros and cons.

The ability to rapidly create, deploy and modify large numbers of virtual machines for a variety of uses. When it works well it works extremely well. It's incredibly easy to update or add to hundreds of vms.

VMware vCenter review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"VMware for multiple OS system installation and verification"

What do you like best?

We have used VMware for installation and commissioning test of multiple OS systems.

The interesting advantages in VM ware for such requirements is we can customize the Multiple divisions like we can choose how much memory we need to work with, whats the OS language to run , do we need to access other software's installed like MS Access etc.

We enjoyed in replying different application software's built using different languages and IDEs. VM ware is very flexible and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Real time replication lacks different MAC IDs. If it has different MAC id for each of the divisions, i hope this would be the best.

We have solved multi user access. Instead of buying a real OS for all users, we used VMware to segregate and given access from same machine.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"VMware vCenter makes managing multiple virtual servers easy"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about vCenter is that you are able to quickly modify and view many different properties of a particular virtual server on the fly. For instance, if you need to add disk space to a server, this can be completed with just a few clicks. A lot can be accomplished due to the ease of use with the console.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes the search function does not work properly and also that VMware tools must be updated quite frequently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the vest virtual server infrastructure platform that I have used. There is also a lot of documentation for beginners to learn quickly.

I am solving business problems relating to providing servers for projects, business requirements, and so on. From there, it is easy to adapt and make modifications as business needs change. The greatest benefit is accomplishing what I need in a short amount of time.

VMware vCenter review by Chad D.
Chad D.

"6.5 is the best vCenter yet"

What do you like best?

HTML5 management interface is faster than the web client has ever been, and is stable and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Lifecycle management tools are still not fully baked

Recommendations to others considering the product

TAM services, especially to get up and running

virtualization and automation. We've been able to run a larger environment on a leaner team leveraging the automation

"vCenter Hypervisor"

What do you like best?

vCenter is the best hypervisor I have used for managing ESXi hosts, clusters, and virtual machines. I like the ease of use along with the various tools that help managing a virtual infrastructure in a large organization.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it requires you to use a web browser and flash which creates an inconsistent behavior amongst various web browsers. This is a small dislike and can be easily mitigated by using just one browser.

Hypervisor for managing virtual environment. The benefits is a central location for managing hosts and virtual machines.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Industry leader for managing multiple virtualized hosts"

What do you like best?

* Ease of use once networking and storage are fully-configured

* Good presentation of performance, resource and other management data

* Enables vMotion which is key to realizing the full value of virtualization

What do you dislike?

* Set up of networking, storage, single-sign on and other integration features is not straightforward

* Differences between thick client and web client are frustrating

* Cost is very high considering that other vendors offer low- or no-cost products that offer much of the same functionality

* Resource utilization and consolidation: Over 100 virtual servers running on 6 physical servers

* High availability for services: Full redundancy for nearly all services without purchasing additional resources

* Adaptability: Able to physically relocate resources between offices/data centers with no down time

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Review about VMWare vCenter"

What do you like best?

vCenter is great for managing on-prem virtual machines housed in multiple vSpheres

What do you dislike?

Tooling inconsistent - the desktop app and the web app both have things that the other doesn't have.

Support was unable to solve a problem for us that we are still having with vmotion to our other vsphere cluster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product overall, but be aware that it's going to take a bit of setup and that sometimes support can totally not get what the problem is that you're trying to describe to them.

vCenter allows us to manage our vSphere clusters easily

"Best virtualization platform"

What do you like best?

Easy to work with, providing all the services needed for a business. Easy to manage all VDIs, ESXi and other VMs in the environment. Provides all functionality needed to manage your virtual servers. New version supports native encryption and offers even more features. vSAN is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Integration with other products is sometime lacking quality. A bit pricey but worth every penny .

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good virtualization platform, one of the best out there, provides various services and can accommodate virtually any given scenario.

Virtualization, encryption, cost optimization/cutting. Redeployed all physical servers as virtual servers.

Provides appliance deployment at a very low cost.

VMware vCenter review by Jacob L.
Jacob L.

"The gold standard"

What do you like best?

VMware vCenter is the gold standard of VMware vSphere management. It completes most tasks with ease and can integrate with other VMware tooling to make up for its shortfalls. It's quite easy to learn and can be picked up within a few days however mastering it is another thing entirely.

What do you dislike?

The vSphere Web Client is completely abysmal. The speed has increased slightly with vSphere 6 however it is still quite slow. Apparently this is going to change with vSphere 6.5 with an all-HTML5 interface however I'm not holding my breath.

Licensing is also quite expensive as VMware has removed the Enterprise SKU and only left Standard and Enterprise Plus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hyper-V may be cheaper, however functional parity isn't quite there yet.

VMware vCenter manages all our ESXi hosts easily with one modestly sized Windows machine. It can be deployed as a virtual appliance as well which is the new recommended solution however we are sticking with Windows at the moment. The appliance itself helps us with machine density, segregation, distributed virtual switches and patch management.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"VMware is hard to replace"

What do you like best?

VMware shines in its role-based management functionality, and other features such as attaching a local ISO or Floppy to a Guest VM. The management interface is extremely user intuitive, and requires less FTE than other hypervisor options.

What do you dislike?

VMware's licensing and support costs are the biggest downsides to the product. If the costing model were cheaper, it would be kind.

We have virtualized over 80% of the datacenter that I work in. This has reduced our power consumption and cooling requirements, and enabled us to literally do more with less. The ease of use of vCenter enables even novice admins to do basic tasks such as booting or rebooting a server.

VMware vCenter review by James O.
James O.

"Centralization for the best"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ability to manage servers and any device that I create, remotely and fast. Monitoring is easy to do and the alerts have endless possibilities for set up.

What do you dislike?

There are bugs with all programs but in a case where a network down issue is occurring, 3rd party programs which work hand in hand shouldn't have so many issues

We're able to detect issues extremely fast and resolve a thousand times faster than having physical equipment for each "machine" listed. It's also way more cost efficient.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"The VMware console is effective but lacking features, the flash based web GUI is not as good"

What do you like best?

It allows a fairly easy and intuitive management of all our ESX clusters and settings within one place. The ability to vMotion live guests to different hosts or datastores is a very useful feature

What do you dislike?

Flash web GUI is very resource intensive. Updating Datastores usually requires logging into a host in the cluster in order to properly identify available LUNs

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the default management software for ESX and it does its functions fairly well.

We needed a central management console to oversee our large VMware ESX environment. The standard vCenter tool does the job fairly well.

VMware vCenter review by User in Information Technology and Services

"All your tools in one place!"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that VMware Virtual Center will give you all the necessary tools to manage your virtual infrastructure in a single, easy to interface with, web application. Everything from accessing the console to your virtual machine(s) to the configuration of virtual templates is right there.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes are few and far between with VMware Virtual Center. The only issue that I can really think of off the top of my head is that sometimes the web interface can be somewhat laggy when under a heavy load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a reason as to why VMware is the leader in all things virtual, the only reason I think that anyone could pass on VMware is their price, but you get what you pay for in the end.

Virtualization is obviously the way of the future, VMware allows my company to manage our entire virtual infrastructure from a single place.

VMware vCenter review by Paul L.
Paul L.

"Great Way To Virtualize"

What do you like best?

VMware VirtualCenter provides a great way to manage our virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

VMware does take a little bit of a learning curve to get going. But once you try out the many features the program provides, you'll be surprised of all that it offers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend VMWare VirtualCenter as the product of choice to manage your virtualized servers.

We used to have many physical servers taking up footprint in our server room. With VMWare we're able to now virtualize them and reduce the number of physical servers by over 80%. Now we can also quickly create servers virtually modifying their allocated resources on the fly.

VMware vCenter review by Kurt A.
Kurt A.

"Meets Our VM Needs"

What do you like best?

We are able to run all of our servers virtually with no issues. VMWare is easy to manage and it is capable of working together with Veeam to meet our backup needs.

What do you dislike?

- VMWare is not the easiest software to update

- Backup functionality has to be purchased

We have been able to dramatically reduce our server footprint by virtualizing all of our servers. Virtualization makes managing each of the servers much easier.

VMware vCenter review by Chris K.
Chris K.

"VMWare Virtual Center"

What do you like best?

I works. Lets me manage our VM Ware environment. The web client is now good enough to do anything I need to do.

What do you dislike?

There are some issues using the remote console on Windows 10/Edge. This is being addressed but slowly considering how long Win 10 has been out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you homework.

VMs are the only way to go. Sure we have some physical but with VMs we need management. This lets us do it.

VMware vCenter review by Dennis G.
Dennis G.

"VMware Review"

What do you like best?

I like that simplicity and overall power that VMware offers to the end user. The tools are all useful and makes for ease of working on the server remotely.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure what to dislike about it VMware is really on the forefront of technology for virtualization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended!!

We are using two physical servers and once we had 15 physical servers. We have cut our technology budget in 1/2 by going virtual and utilizing VMware.

VMware vCenter review by Steven H.
Steven H.

"vCenter is rock solid!"

What do you like best?

The ease of adding hosts and spinning up VMs.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a bit archaic thought the web interface is coming along nicely. I'm so used the the application that I still don't readily go to the web app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you virtualize, you won't regret it.

vCenter itself is the centralized system to manage many hosts and clusters so once we moved passed one host, it was a necessity.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"The best way to manage your virtualization environment"

What do you like best?

Virtual Center is a very well polished and put together solution for multiple VMware host management. The functionality that is brought to the table with the solution and the licensing makes this platform superior to other virtualization management platforms.

What do you dislike?

Functionality that was once easy to locate in the c# client is far more difficult to find in the web client now and they continue to utilize a non-HTML5 interface.

Multiple host management with a single pane of glass for management of our VMware hosts. This has allowed use to license at the appropriate level and perform many different functions above what standalone hosts can provide.

VMware vCenter review by Dawei W.
Dawei W.

"we use VMware vCenter to manage all servers for all environments"

What do you like best?

easy to backup, easy to manage,

One of the huge benefits is that we no longer tied to a specific piece of hardware.

Another benefit iis that we get the ability to create snapshots of ours servers, which is really helpful.

What do you dislike?

need sometime to get familar with the internace.

we have product, Test, QA, Dev 4 environments, each environment has web server, back end server, DB server, use VMware vCenter to manage them so easily.

VMware vCenter review by Ron B.
Ron B.

"really love software driven OS instead of having to rely on barebone"

What do you like best?

Really enjoy how many machines we can manage for our team and make sure they are up at all time failover so great

What do you dislike?

sometimes glitch or power outage takes down and have to manually bring up as dont pay for sphere

Recommendations to others considering the product

keep improving and letting know if overload with patches and such

easy to not have to deploy all kinds of hardware that could fail over timee

VMware vCenter review by John C.
John C.

"vCenter Server"

What do you like best?

I can move virtual servers around during business hours to allow for host hard ware changes, patches, etc and my users are none the wiser. Everything just keeps ticking along. The same applies to VM hard drives (VMFS) volumes.

What do you dislike?

The web vCenter client is slow and clunky. They're moving toward that and kind of forcing you to use it but finding things and doing daily maintenance is still easier in the old standalone client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not the cheapest solution but it is the best.

VMware helps us stretch our dollars by better utilizing our server hardware.

VMware vCenter review by varun v.
varun v.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

it work seamlessly.

Doesn't feel like that we are working on virtual environments seems like working on the same machine.

you don't have to carry any token RSA.

Can use any laptop and connect from anywhere

What do you dislike?

Doesn't support copying data from different environments .

Specially word document in virtual environment scroll real slow. Seems like freezing.

To access client network

VMware vCenter review by Chad D.
Chad D.

"Simply the most versatile SDDC solution for your business"

What do you like best?

Easy to start with, with powerful capabilities

What do you dislike?

There's a learning curve, but learning by doing is the best way to go.

It has allowed us to be more agile and customer focused with our infrastructure offerings

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Definitely a must have!"

What do you like best?

I work with this product in small, medium and large enterprises. It simplifies administration of virtual machines. I love the template feature which enables you to create a VM in minutes.

What do you dislike?

The price is the only downfall for this product, but when using it small businesses The Essentials kit is a great solution. Same features for a small business price...

Ease of management of virtual environment.

VMware vCenter review by Executive Sponsor in Media Production
Executive Sponsor in Media Production

"The Right Tool"

What do you like best?

VMware VirtualCenter is the right tool for the right job. I really like having all of the tools I need in a central location. It gives me and my employees the ability to work in one environment to control and see what is happening.

What do you dislike?

It does have a steep learning curve for the non tech type. I know, why would they use it but there are times when I have had to show someone how to read the info.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the trial on a closed system first.

Control..... Control...... Control. We needed a better way to see what was actually happening.

VMware vCenter review by Andrew R.
Andrew R.

"An essential component of the best virtualization technology in the business"

What do you like best?

All the built in functionality, the ability to manage multiple ESXI hosts and all the flexibility and additional reliability that comes with that. The ability to DRS virtual machines to different hosts when a host has an issue or becomes overburdened.

What do you dislike?

The dependency on a separate VM for hosting virtual center means that if that VM goes down I lose the ability to manage VMWare. Its also very expensive. The web client is unusably slow at times

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware of the costs, and also of the fact that companies will charge you a different licensing model if you are virtualized.

Datacenter reduction, costs savings, increase in density. I can give the business vastly increased reliability by not being dependent on single hosts.

VMware vCenter review by Sean M.
Sean M.

"One of my favorite tools"

What do you like best?

It gives me quick and easy access to all of a given client's vmware esxi systems in a single location, makes it super easy to manage resources

What do you dislike?

I really wish that it gave more in depth information on an esxi system's host hardware, it let's me know if a drive is reporting an issue, but it won't give me the drive manufacturer/model/serial number.

Managing multiple host systems each with their own guest severs running, being able to manage a customer's entire vmware inventory from a single location is a huge benefit

VMware vCenter review by Kashif I.
Kashif I.

"one stop to manage servers"

What do you like best?

Easy management of large numbers of servers at one place .

High Availability

vMotion

Integrated Console for Vms

Cluster,DRS,Snapshot, Fault tolerance, Performance check , Usage summary

What do you dislike?

As such no improvemnet i needed but vmware has done some enhancement related to networking in 6.0 version .

Managing more than 1000 servers running to support VNF/Applications related to Telecommunication

VMware vCenter review by Joseph C.
Joseph C.

"VMware VirtualCenter"

What do you like best?

My favorite aspect is the centralized management aspect of the software - it allows a very friendly user interface, extremely fast resource provisioning and a solid measure of automation with updates, new roll outs etc..

What do you dislike?

I am happy with the product - I have no real dislikes of any aspects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent product with a solid support network both from within the vendors through their support as well as tech blogs and circles. All in all I highly recommend it.

Central back-end management of a small scale virtual environment.

VMware vCenter review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Managing Virtual Machines in VCenter so painless"

What do you like best?

The way it currently detects and uses you current configuration and can, if you want, place all you VMs on a dashboard. Or you can change it as needed to so the dashboard shows exactly what you want to see.

What do you dislike?

If you have many VM's in an organization, it may be overcoming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great Tool! You will like the simple setup, however you will have some learning curves (like a day or two)

Organization of VM's, Like I said VC helps out with the total configuration, even clustering etc..

VMware vCenter review by Jim L.
Jim L.

"Good one-stop shop for VM maintenance"

What do you like best?

The menus where you can make changes, or do about anything you like, all from one place. (such as reboots, resets, and adjustments of settings).

What do you dislike?

I have occasionally seen errors from the tool, about VMs, which are not as helpful as I'd hope they are.

We needed a solution for our VMware VMs which provided all of the common tools, commands, and important information in a centralized place. This tool provides all of these.

VMware vCenter review by Nick A.
Nick A.

"Fast, easy, robust"

What do you like best?

It has become fast and easy to stand up new servers. Its extremely helpful for upgrades, implementations, and development. It also allows us a lot of flexibility on using our datacenter resources the most effectively

What do you dislike?

Network and routing can be a challenge some times. We've had to set up a lot of different VLAN's to get things to talk as expected

We solved buying specialized hardware for systems, and solved backup difficulties. We have more robust, more reliable, and more redundant systems now.

VMware vCenter review by Mike D.
Mike D.

"VMware gets it done"

What do you like best?

Like the way VM Virtual Center keeps everything running smooth without any issues. no problems for the end user.

What do you dislike?

I have not run into anything I have really disliked, once in a great while it will be a tad slow.

I like it for the benefits of having VM's setup on the fly and no bogging down on the servers.

VMware vCenter review by Mike G.
Mike G.

"Full-featured Virtual Machine Management"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it has almost every feature you could want when it comes to virtual machine management.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike as it does not have any REAL competitors.

A useful feature is the ease of cloning your virtual machines. Everything seems like it is designed to save time.

VMware vCenter review by Vivek V.
Vivek V.

"Great Product with good control capabilities"

What do you like best?

Scalable and extensible platform which helps form a great foundation for any enterprise. Provides good options for control and management throughout the enterprise to the admin. Ease of use and options to customize as per requirements.

What do you dislike?

Migration of the product was a little difficult than expected.

Cost of the product could have been more competitive

Deployment time due to excess and unnecessary functionality could have been cut down

Environment roll out and control of the virtulization across the enterprise. Control on the Data and server setup with great admin tools

VMware vCenter review by Abu Huda, SAP, ITIL l.
Abu Huda, SAP, ITIL l.

"Excellent tool for Tech lovers"

What do you like best?

It saved money of buying a whole bunch of licensed software during the time of restoring an image file.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it slows down the laptop as it requires a bit more RAM compared to other programs. Still I won't condiser it as dislike.

Business continuity and Disaster Recovery (DR) alongwith data protection.

VMware vCenter review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"VMware review"

What do you like best?

I'm a big fan of VMware vcenter for sure. I started putting my apps in vmware around 2005 and it was a bit rocky then but they have really improved it to become much better. It has lots of flexibility and easily can virtualize workloads to reduce cost in enterprises. It also has great UIs and is relatively easy to setup and administer.

What do you dislike?

Alot of people seem to find it expensive, so that is an issue that causes people want to go opensource. Another issue I see is that they have trouble building products around it that are at the high quality of vCenter and vSphere. So vSphere and vCenter end up being great, but their other products don't really help you much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use VMware vsphere and vCenter. They are mature products that will help you get cost efficiencies and benefits that you are looking for.

We are trying to solve problems around reducing cost while still having tier 1 service. VMware helps us achieve this with it's great flexibility in sharing resources and reducing the amount of physical hardware. We tend to push VMware deployments to the limits of what it will handle so we can drive out large amounts of cost savings. Those are some of the nice benefits realized. WE then couple this with automation to really get some efficiencies in management.

"VMware VirtualCenter "

What do you like best?

I like that you can access the Virtual Center to see all your Virtual Machines and even access them individually without having to remote into them separately. I like that you can see alarms, resources, etc...

What do you dislike?

I don't like the small window that you have to use when you remote into a virtual machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great product and easy to use.

Voip issues, infrastructure updating, refreshing older equipment...etc

VMware vCenter review by Administrator

"I feel more like I do now than when I first got here. Thanks VMware."

What do you like best?

Ease of use and training others on how to use VMware is as easy as eating apple pie.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I can think of as a dislike would be having to pay for it. Other than that, I'm tickled pink beyond belief.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vmware is right on track with ease of use and setting up new servers for a production environment.

Ease of backing up individual servers. If one crashes, we are back up in a matter of minutes.

VMware vCenter review by Seth A.
Seth A.

"Virtually foolproof!"

What do you like best?

VMWare's VirtualCenter gives an easy look into VM health, history, and current status. It's a powerhouse that let me shut down old PC boxes and remove old equipment that has now been virtualized. Simple, easy, and effective.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! The tool works wonders and even has a Linux version.

We use this to virtualize old physical servers. This allows us to save on utility cost, save space in our server room racks, and future-proof our equipment.

"vCenter virtualization managment"

What do you like best?

vcenter allowed to adopt virtualization technology faster and friendly manner, simplifies the management of nodes and virtual machines thank to its stability and well proven technology, it haven't competition.

What do you dislike?

The transition to Web Client is terrible, lacks a structure and unfriendly navigation experience, although an advantage in terms of accessibility, but it is reached to the expense of ease of use viclient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you're looking to deploy the administration of a virtualization platform in the shortest time, vCenter is your friend.

reduction in hardware acquisition to achieve consolidate and convert the existing platform in virtualization nodes

VMware vCenter review by Saurabh M.
Saurabh M.

"IT experience in Storage Solutions and Product Management"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, ease of setup, capabilities. I like the fact that the documentation provided is so simple and clear that it makes very easy to use and setup on your own.

Also what I like the best is the multiple feature it provides for storage and product management.

What do you dislike?

Lagging behind in innovation, competitive offerings catching up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it and see if it fits the reqs.

backup

VMware vCenter review by Allan L.
Allan L.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

VMWare VCenter is the industries best. From ease of configuration and setup to vm builds...nobody does it better and offers more features than vcenter.

What do you dislike?

I've been using vcenter for years and love it. My only dislike is using the web portal instead of the legacy client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Vcenter training

With vcenter, we've been able to automate and consolidate our server infrastructure. Making it easy for us to grow efficiently

VMware vCenter review by Ankit Kumar S.
Ankit Kumar S.

"Centralized management, automation and optimization for IT infrastructure"

What do you like best?

Migrate live virtual machines and conduct non-disruptive maintenance of IT environments using VMotion

What do you dislike?

No single-sign on support for Windows session credentials and no IPv6 support

Lots of virtualization to be done. Looking forward to use this tool heavily.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Easy to use reliable application"

What do you like best?

Comprehensive interface that allows various levels of expertise manage VMs.

What do you dislike?

It is unfortunately too expensive for smaller companies to properly implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware continues to change licensing agreements on our company. The perpetual licenses initially bought were deemed invalid after stating that they would be viable with their new monthly fee based approach. This caused a great headache in needing to move most of our VMs off of their client and onto other platforms. The new structure was prohibitively expensive for hosting VMs for our clients and internally.

VM hosting solution.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"The best"

What do you like best?

I like the automation behind vmotion. If you know what you are doing vmware is a very powerful tool

What do you dislike?

I liked the console that was removed with version 7

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it

We are using VMWare View for our off site access. It is very secure and controls access to data keeping in our environment

VMware vCenter review by Sam W.
Sam W.

"Solid, but could use some improvements"

What do you like best?

Central management location, browser based

What do you dislike?

Interface is slow and not particularly intuitive, help section isn't particularly helpful. Mobile options stink.

Consolidating hardware for energy/cooling/hardware savings

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Fantastic overall console - feature rich overview of your VI"

What do you like best?

Simplified overview of your entire virtual infrastructure.

Centralized management including hypervisor updates.

Easier to deploy than past versions.

Lots of data presented to analyze for better decisions.

Vast online support.

What do you dislike?

Licensing can be vague, especially for newer SKUs

Limitations on the kits can be frustrating for SMBs.

Consolidation and simplified management.

The primary benefit has been a much lower footprint, easier management and less power/cooling needed especially in smaller branch offices without dedicated IT staff.

VMware vCenter review by Jeffrey M.
Jeffrey M.

"Great way to manage virtual desktops"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and ability to manage a multitude of resources all from one platform. It allows a IT admin to manage the entire virtualized platform from one easy to use software interface.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. It could be organized of an interface. Other than that it is pretty easy to navigate and manage.

Virtual server management in an enterprise desktop environment.

VMware vCenter review by Benjamin K.
Benjamin K.

"Great software to help IT virtualize their environment "

What do you like best?

I found this software simple to use to help our IT infrastructure virtualize the software and system we use. Also made it easy to virtualize our servers.

What do you dislike?

I found this software slightly challenging to setup

I found this software beneficial to centralize costs and create easy access to

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"A great choice to manage virtual machines"

What do you like best?

If you understand the VMware environment vcenter will make your managing and maintaining your vms something great.

What do you dislike?

You have to keep up with browser updates and versions updates in order to take advantage of all the features

Recommendations to others considering the product

It i

Managing more than 100 VMs

VMware vCenter review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"VmWare - muliti-app helper!"

What do you like best?

I like to be able to create new VMs with relative ease for the multiple apps and environments I work with. Really centralized and pretty seamless integration

What do you dislike?

Can get a bit unmanageable for a newbie like me! and pretty hard for a mac user versus windows.

Working on different applications with teams require various different environments that you need to encapsulate and modularize.. perfect solution VMs!

VMware vCenter review by Adam C.
Adam C.

"VMWare vCenter 6.0"

What do you like best?

Love the hypervisor and the ease of installation. Easy to use management of virtual machines, cluster, high availability, etc.

What do you dislike?

The required Adobe Flash player in the web client. Not able to use the installed client for some things.

Redundancy and reduced power requirements

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Good enterprise hypervisor"

What do you like best?

It has many features for any scale deployment. It handles many users with different permissions.

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes buggy and features are limited where more options are expected.

We give access to a virtualized environment to university students for Cyber defense competitions.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

"Mostly we've had a great experience with VMware VirtualCenter"

What do you like best?

That you can manage multiple VMware servers over our domain in one location.

What do you dislike?

Error logs are not always available when there is an issue so you have to really dig to figure it out.

Less physical servers to purchase. Lower hardware costs as well as less AC output needed.

"Virtual Center"

What do you like best?

Virtual Center makes administration of a virtualized environment super simple. I can manage my hosts/VMs/network/storage from a single pane of glass.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that virtual center licensing is so expensive

Make administrators job much easier

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Powerful tool for VM management from VMWare "

What do you like best?

User friendly interface. Easy to find necessary information. Managing of the servers so easy.

What do you dislike?

For different versions of VCenter need to have different clients. For example if you have vcenter client 6.x it is not compatible to connect to vsphere 4.x or 5.x

All VMs management in one place. No console needed. Can be managed remotely.

VMware vCenter review by georgette y.
georgette y.

"futur"

What do you like best?

My company implamented VMware 6 months ago and it's awesome. The convenience of working from home is great.

What do you dislike?

Often times VMware doesn't recognize the USB device. For months I will have USB unavailable and have to reinstall VMware on my machine

the benefits are working from home and using any mobile device to access the network

VMware vCenter review by Administrator

"Easy to use with few mishaps"

What do you like best?

The graphical user interface is easy to maneuver through and manage.

What do you dislike?

It can be temperamental at times and could require multiple reboots when logging into a Virtual Server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Load balance if you have over 200 users and over 40 VMs. We have had critical systems go down for CPU usage when our balancers started fighting for designation.

I am providing a platform for over 400 operators to do their jobs and perform mission essential functions.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"VMWare review"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Quality product. Lower cost compared to physical servers and licensing.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing at this point I can say I dislike.

Central server management. Requires less staff to manage the server network.

VMware vCenter review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"VMWARE - Use your hardware!"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to make whole environments virtually and span them across several pieces of hardware making complex yet efficient and reliable systems possible!

What do you dislike?

Not much, everything seems to work great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it! So good!

Running multiple discrete machines without the corresponding hardware requirements.

VMware vCenter review by Gary M.
Gary M.

"One of the best bets of my career"

What do you like best?

After using the platform for 6 years, the platform is still helping me to be succesfull. It just works. It does what it says it will do.

What do you dislike?

The product can be pricey depending on how it is licensed.

reliability

VMware vCenter review by Stan C.
Stan C.

"VMware review"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and one portal - vmotion is great and can move servers to different hosts and distribute compute and storage. Also allows for high availability in patching

What do you dislike?

Not too much but interface could be easier to use with some additional tips and tricks

Ability to transfer resources in a virtual environment

VMware vCenter review by Nina F.
Nina F.

"We love this product"

What do you like best?

Functionality and their support is great. ANything we need they take care of us!

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve. WE have had to get a lot of training and consultation for this product as we did not have any experience with it.

Going to VM environment and replacing physical pcs. Much more cost effective.