VMware vCenter

VMware vCenter Server provides a centralized platform for managing your VMware vSphere environments so you can automate and deliver a virtual infrastructure with confidence.

Work for VMware vCenter?
Teamviewer 2x

Learning about VMware vCenter?

VMware vCenter Reviews

Showing 138 VMware vCenter reviews
VMware vCenter review by <span>Greg G.</span>
Greg G.

It just works...

What do you like best?

For me, it's ease of use. I'm not the primary administrator, but 6.0 and the included web client provides me all of the resources I need to do my job without headaches. I'm the company DB/BI manager so I have a small subset of VMs that I manage, but I can't remember a time where I've had to spend any time on a forum or with support because vCenter wasn't performing.

What do you dislike?

I see where they're going with the web client, but I still prefer the thick client. While all of the feature set I need is in the web client, it just feels slower than the thick client. The primary admins of our VMWare environment dislike the web client enough to not upgrade to 6.5.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have more than 1 or 2 hosts, it's worth it to get vCenter so you can get the high availability and time savings it provides. Even if you haven't considered it in quite some time, check out the current version...it might be time to re-evaluate.

We have 8 hosts to manage. We needed a single interface to go where we could manage our infrastructure and provide high availability. The benefits I've seen are that I can do everything I need to do without surfing through 8 hosts and having to schedule downtime of my SQL servers when infrastructure repairs need to be made.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about VMware vCenter
VMware vCenter review by <span>Tim L.</span>
Tim L.

Invaluable

What do you like best?

We use the Enterprise Plus licensing and find great value in the ability to apply profiles to our hosts to ensure configuration uniformity across all hosts. The power of the distributed switching also makes configuring everything a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I cannot do my job without vCenter and I find the latest upgrades only make the system better each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I find that most of the people that don't like the Web Interface don't like it because they are used to the management interface of the Thick Client. Once they figure out the process for accomplishing the tasks in the Web Client the transition is simple. However, with the upcoming retirement of the Flash based web client they might want to just wait until all of the features are made available in the HTML client before switching.

We are able to manage all of our hosts with the built in Update Manager and apply updates to all hosts with just a few clicks. Maintaining and applying configurations across all hosts is simple and reporting on any deviations is a breeze.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

VMware vCenter review by <span>William J.</span>
William J.

Brilliant Enterprise Class platform

What do you like best?

Enterprise class features that have been a game changer for us. We now have a large VMWare estate running more consolidated servers than ever before. The features to VMOTION and load balance across hosts is fantastic and you can see why this product is top of the game at the moment.

What do you dislike?

Retirement of the Desktop client is a real bug bare for me. It is still by far the best way of accessing servers console and the web client is buggy and has problems on many platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it you will not regret it. Seems expensive but it really is worth every penny.

Lack of physical space and an ever increasing demand for servers. VMWare is perfect for this as we can consolidate many many servers into one physical host.

VMware vCenter review by <span>anthony p.</span>
anthony p.

Best in class

What do you like best?

We no longer worry about what type of server that needs to be implemented, supported or monitored. This allows us to feel comfortable with the overall health and performance of our environment as well as all of your customers. VMware is highly integrated with all of the technology tools that an MSP or IT staff could ever want.

What do you dislike?

Paying for licensing but that's true with everything that is worth having. It would be nice it we didn't need certified engineers to move up in terms of partnership.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with VMware

Implementing this across multiple clients has allowed us to efficiently provide support for larger networks. We can now do this with less manpower while saving customers with less power, cooling and hardware costs.

VMware vCenter review by <span>Michael J.</span>
Michael J.

Vmware Vcenter 5.5

What do you like best?

New to Vcenter ESXI from formerly a HyperV Environment. The Centralized Management and built in tools that integrate with Storage and UCP Environments are great.

What do you dislike?

Some things are not available in the current version that should be. Such as the ability to expand vmdk files over 2TB in space. Also the inability to snapshot shared VMDK is a big issue. Competitors have been able to provide this feature for several years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommend considering all of your needs and options before simply purchasing VmWare. It does a lot of what the mast majority requires but there may be other products available which would suite your needs.

The main business problem is Virtualization for a large environment requiring VM stability. The main benefits is the ease of use and dependability.

VMware vCenter review by <span>Wanda B.</span>
Wanda B.

VMWare lessens hardware needs

What do you like best?

we are able to consolidate hardware and provide needed servers for our agency. It also helps with management of those servers. we have also been able to cut our over all cost to manage the servers including migrating servers as needed and building new servers in VMware vs physical servers. We reduced the need for a consultant to build every time we needed a new server.

What do you dislike?

The pricing structure for us as we are a not for profit and would like to have more features but we can not afford to do so. We use a lower version and do not have Vmotion which would enable us to move from server to server again this is because of the cost of the upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in consolidating physical hardware, using higher end more effecient servers plus having a user friendly interface this product should fit the bill.

consolidated 15 physical servers on to 2 servers, this allowed us to manage our agency farm in a more efficient manner. It also helped with our return on investment because we were able to purchase several high capacity / higher end servers to replace the older lower end, lower preforming servers.

Learning about VMware vCenter?

* We monitor all VMware vCenter reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.