VMware vSphere

VMware vSphere Hypervisor is a free bare-metal hypervisor that virtualizes servers so you can consolidate your applications on less hardware.

Work for VMware vSphere?

Learning about vSphere?

VMware vSphere Reviews

Ask vSphere a Question
Showing 118 vSphere reviews
vSphere review by Austin H.
Austin H.

"vSphere - The Comprehensive ESXI Management Tool"

What do you like best?

I have begun to enjoy the new web interface introduce with v6 and enforced by 6.5. It took a while to get used too, but now I find that it is much easier to navigate through all areas of administration in vSphere. It is also great to have a central point of management for all your ESX hosts.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the HTML web interface is only partially functional - as it seems to be much more fluid than the Flash version of the website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are implementing vSphere for the first time start with 6.5, and get right into the Web interface. Transitioning from the client application to the web application can be somewhat challenging

We are using VMware vSphere to manage all of our ESXi hosts. We have realized the benefit of the VDS (Virtual Distributed Switching) utilities as well, making it much easier to manage the switching on a host to host basis.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about VMware vSphere
vSphere review by Lisandro M.
Lisandro M.

"Monitoreo y administración de maquinas virtuales"

What do you like best?

Lo sencillo de su browser, no es complicado al buscar las cosas, y cuando agregas una LUN te aparece inmediato y la asignas a una maquina virtual sin muchas complicaciones, ver la capacidad y configurar tus maquinas virtuales, tanto en Linux como en Windows. Moverlas de un HUB a otro rapido, a la hora de hacer mantenimientos excelente.

What do you dislike?

Las alertas creo que les falta un poco, tengo que estar metiéndome para ver los estados de las maquinas, capacidad, performanse, Hay que abrir el cliente web todos los dias para ver como se encuentran tus maquinas

Recommendations to others considering the product

Con los ojos cerrados les recomiendo que adquieran estos productos, son de excelente calidad y lo mas importante son estables, me consta, mi experiencia trabajando con ellos lo dice todo. Casi no me da tiempo de monitorear, pero cuando lo hago todo esta bien, claro una buena configuración inicial de tus maquinas virtuales y buenos equipos en cluster te dan mas tranquilidad.

Todos, llevamos todas las maquinas virtuales que podemos, el mantenimiento de los equipos admiistrativos sencillo, y si quiero creo una copiar de una tambien, son simples pasos. 100 por ciento recomendado, muy muy estable,

What Server Virtualization solution do you use?

vSphere review by Fernando M.
Fernando M.

"update your IT infrastructure"

What do you like best?

I like it because in one way or another I guarantee the life and continuity of my business, allowing to work harmoniously with my IT infrastructure, adapting it when required, during the implementation of this vsphere project, we use esxi cm seed to make the full deployment of The entire suite including vcenter for centralized administration.

What do you dislike?

something that disgusts me without a doubt is the cosotoso of his license, having as seed esxi, which uses linux platform, but nevertheless one thing compensates the other the calmness that vsphere gives me, thanks to a good implementation and configuration guarantees continuity of the business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

vsphere is the best software to virtualize our infrastructures, without a doubt I highly recommend it to the vmware virtualization standard.

in the company the vsphere solution was implemented, to update our blades, and turn them into clusters, for the total and centralized administration, thus allowing to migrate virtual machines between cluster and manage our data storage, thus allowing to guarantee stability and operation to our clients.

vSphere review by Albano t.
Albano t.

"the standard of virtualization"

What do you like best?

I like it because it allows me to manage my infrastructure in a dynamic and simple way, connecting through its different clients, both the client vsphere, and its web client I can manage both the esxi, as the center of vcenter, being able to create virtual machines to manage dynamically my hust, and move the machines between the clusters.

What do you dislike?

the only thing that sometimes prevents the implementation of vsphere on our blades is the cost of their licenses, but nevertheless she complies with all the things that they offer, the savings, for energy consumption since from a blades I can implement through machines virtual solutions that I had to do for each server, now I do everything in a centralized and more direct way reducing the costs of both electric consumption and air conditioning facilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend the solutions that VMware provides, it is worth noting that it is the standard of virtualization, in the market and without a doubt it gives you security and continuity in the business for the future, and scalability of your platform so that it does not get lost in time. I say! use vmware.

We are currently deploying all our blades infrastructure, in each esxi host, for the installation of vsphere, and later centralizing with vcenter, these solutions will make our data center always have high availability and hot migrations at the time of any failure in addition to vmware storage vmotion, and vsan for the complementation of our infrastructure and provide a better service to our customers.

vSphere review by Bryan Ernesto R.
Bryan Ernesto R.

"responds more quickly to business needs."

What do you like best?

during the implementation I found it a bit easy to deploy, with esxi as support and seed, then I activate your license and I manage it with vmware vsphere client or from the web client, it allows me to manage the resources of my host, to get more advantage to the benefits of my blades, it should be noted that the high availability features between hosts are guaranteed with this implementation.

What do you dislike?

the disadvantage that I see this suite is the cost of the license, but the benefits that my platform offers are unique, ensuring the continuity of the business stability is everything in the IT world.

Recommendations to others considering the product

currently vmware is the virtualization platform, most used worldwide is a software that does not need a letter of presentation simply the best of all.

Currently our infrastructure is being deployed with vmware vsphere, and as a central administration box and other vcenter benefits, management makes me more simple and dynamic, create modify, import and export virtual machines, allows me to continue with the business and have order in the templates, for the administration of my vm.

vSphere review by mary carmen v.
mary carmen v.

" virtualization technology for the data center."

What do you like best?

what I like the most is that it reduces and simplifies the IT infrastructure

Improvements in the accessibility and connectivity of computer applications.

Optimization of resources and cost savings IT.

through the consolidation of servers, and automated management, which allows to reduce property costs, increase energy efficiency and improve operating costs, reducing downtime, which has an impact on improving operational efficiency by reducing risks. You will be able to virtualize your resources of x86 servers and grouping them in logical pools for the assignment of multiple workloads.

What do you dislike?

the price of a paid solution from vsphere is a bit high.

The hardware requirements can sometimes be very high, which limits the implementation for home experiments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the best tool for the virtualization of your IT infrastructure, saving you energy consumption and making the most of your hardware resources.

Currently our company virtualizes with ESXI and with the vmware vsphere client we manage the virtual machines centralized by the vcenter, it should be noted that the administration environment is easy and simple interface, your web client administration is one of the advances for the different operating system platforms.

vSphere review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Best virtual server hosting environment hands down."

What do you like best?

VMware has proven to be a leader in virtual server arena for the start. Vmotion for storage and compute is one of the best features as it allows for better system resource management without shutting down your virtual machines. The snapshot capabilities are great for backups, software changes or having some peace of mind when making changes.

What do you dislike?

Costs are based on hosts and processors. VMware can be on the higher side especially when some virtual hosting software is free but I don't believe they are in the same ball park when it comes to performance and features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vmware is great for medium to large business use. May be costly for small business. Please be sure to understand your business needs to correctly obtain licensing models.

Hardware consolidation was our main goal. As our environment grew we needed the ability to provision more servers but did not want to purchase additional hardware. Vmware has also provide a single management plane when it comes to virtual hardware and operations.

vSphere review by yesika m.
yesika m.

"the solution to your data center."

What do you like best?

allows me to manage my data center in a more efficient way using the full potential of emissers, it is worth mentioning that the administration can be done by connecting directly to the esxi or vcenter, esxi as the basis for both, to take full control of my host.

What do you dislike?

Without a doubt the only disadvantage that I see to vmware solutions is licensing since it is a bit expensive, or the type of projects that are implemented with it and are obtained from the solutions I require when I move my data center.

Recommendations to others considering the product

to manage all your platform I recommend its use, it allows you to manage esxi mainly, and connect vcenter for the administration of your IT platform, and thus improve the processes of your business.

currently manages all my data center infrastructure, with vmware in all its layers both network, servers and storage.

vSphere review by Hans H.
Hans H.

"Great (but not cheap) virtualization software"

What do you like best?

The support for their products is top-notch! Their support team is always available for issues (provided you have a support contract) and their product just works well. They seem to always be on the cutting edge of new virtualization technology with each release

What do you dislike?

Licensing can be onerous and expensive; if you start to go with the Enterprise license and add additional services (AirCloud, etc.) the cost can start to spin out of control depending on how big and how complex you would like

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research first-will Hyper-V or even KVM be sufficient for your needs? Only go VMWare if the features are needed

We have cut down our physical servers by about 75% from before we started server virtualization. We get much more density of VMs to each physical host than before when it was one instance per server. Now we are getting about 6-7 VMs per host

vSphere review by Adam K.
Adam K.

"VMware is still the best hypervisor"

What do you like best?

There is rarely a situation that we need in which VMware cannot meet. The support is world class, the interface and management is top notch and it is easy to use yet very powerful for advanced environments.

What do you dislike?

Many actions still require the older Adobe Flash-based web interface but VMware has made great progress on their HTML5 interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't even bother with another solution, just go with VMware. Start small in a lab and grow your solution, you'll be fine!

Server virtualization is a huge market and a huge requirement for business. Other hypervisors may meet the need but they either require strong hand-holding, writing your own GUI or beating your head against a wall to make it perform simple tasks. VMware allows us to virtualize our servers and keep ROI low on physical hardware without causing a lot of stress.

vSphere review by carmen b.
carmen b.

"virtualization is the future."

What do you like best?

thanks to this powerful software I can manage all my cluster platform in my data center, being able to establish connections through the vsphere client, to manage the esxi as the vcenter, for the administration of all my IT platform.

What do you dislike?

the creation of an integrated client for linux is missing, since in linux it is managed by the web client, its license is a little high, and sometimes in windows the application generates errors with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

my recommendations is that if you are going to implement a solution of your IT infrastructure, do it with the best VMWARE. in its different layers it guarantees the continuity of your business.

currently manages all my IT platform with vmware solutions including vsphere, which allows me to connect to different applications such as vcenter and esxi.

vSphere review by teresa p.
teresa p.

"easy administration of the IT platform"

What do you like best?

where I use vsmware vmware in our IT platforms, for its ease of administration, plus it can integrate different applications, in the same physical server, because this technology allows me to virtualize my physical host to use its pool of resources for creation of virtual machines, gives me the opportunity to run different operating systems, in the same host thanks to virtualization, saving resources to maintain the operability of our IT platforms.

What do you dislike?

without a doubt the issues of licensing is something for everyone confused at the beginning when you want to acquire but then you understand and understand how they work and which are the ones that can be adapted to your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I used different virtualization tools but the best of all are the VMware I do not have the slightest doubt about, the way in which VMware communicates with the pool of physical resources of my servers is simply great.

in the company we had different physical servers for each application, both emails and web applications, we were implementing vmware vsphere at different levels and we optimized so many physical spaces in the data center, as well as energy and air conditioning facilities as there were less physical equipment, we virtualize other servers and migrate the applications to the virtualized ones, thus having HA in our IT infrastructure.

vSphere review by helen m.
helen m.

"vsphere 6.5 goodbye to flash and welcome to html5"

What do you like best?

use vmware vsphere in its new version 6.5 allows me to virtualize my server to run virtual machines in taking advantage of all the resources that my physical machine has, it is worth noting that vsphere administers me in a centralized way all my created instances, the virtual machines that I manage go from database and web applications among many others.

What do you dislike?

one of the things that version 6.5 does not have is the functionality of vsan in the environment of html5, only this is basic for administration since it is a new model in administration for compatibility with different operating systems that vmware is applying,

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like it because the services oriented to the high availability is absolutely wonderful makes sure that the virtual machines are started and available simply fantastic.

We are relizando implementations in some servers with vsphere 6.5 for being the new version of vmware, in this version the administration is completely eliminated by the vmware vsphere client of windows, with the new version it is not compatible, and it draws our attention powerfully the security of Banner is the VM disk encryption and the associated encrypted vMotion capability. Combined, this means that vSphere is now able to secure data both at rest and in flight.

vSphere review by Benton S.
Benton S.

"VMWare vSphere"

What do you like best?

See and manage the different aspects of the server environment like the performance, resources, data stores, storage, and get insights on the VM before logging into the server. The VMRC or VM Remote Console is a tool that lets you connect and log into the VM from vSphere without the need to use Remote Desktop Connection or any other remote tool to log into the server.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't allow easy movement of VM guests from host to host requiring vCenter server to provide HA High Availibility to reduce downtime and provide redundancy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the ESXi host has the hardware requirements to meet the resource needs of the VM guests you plan to manage within vSphere. Make sure the storage needs are met to make available to the VM guests. Once you have your VM guests, datastores, and other things setup within vSphere, monitoring and managing the VM guests can be done with little maintenance to have time to take care of the things that need your time.

Reduced power consumption by converting physical servers to VM servers. Single point of management for several servers instead of having to use Remote Desktop Connection and other tools to do what I now do within vSphere.

vSphere review by Sun K.
Sun K.

"Great Virtualization software"

What do you like best?

VMWare is the best virtualization software, easy to use, feature packed, reliable and rock solid. The free Hypervisor is fully functional, while the paid versions add fault tolerance, clustering, high availability and live migration.

What do you dislike?

The full version of VMWare can be quite pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider using VMWare. We have tried other virtualization packages and they are not as polished. For some, we have had stability problems where the VMs or hypervisor crashes!

VMware allows you to consolidate physical servers into fewer virtual servers, making them easier to deploy and manage. They allow you to more fully use your existing hardware instead of letting them sit idle most of the time.

vSphere review by Richard G.
Richard G.

"Excellent server virtualization platform"

What do you like best?

There is a lot that I like about VMware vSphere. It is a very capable server virtualization platform. In the past, IT Departments struggled with server sprawl. Every server-based application was supposed to run on its own server. With vSphere, you can run multiple virtual servers on a single, physical computer, even if the virtual servers are running different operating systems such as Microsoft Windows and Linux. vSphere lets you take snapshots of the virtual servers when needed to allow the option for rolling back to a previous state (helpful for things like testing out patches without having to make the change permanent). vSphere also allows you to create templates of of virtual servers that can be used to create new virtual servers pre-configured and patched. You can also clone active virtual servers which is useful when you are looking to upgrade an application and need to test it while still maintaining the active production environment. With add-ons such as vCenter, you can further extend the capabilities to include automated fail-over of virtual servers in the event of a host failure. You can also migrate live, active virtual servers from one host computer to another without impacting users. I could go on and on about the things I like about vSphere. It sits at the heart of my data center and I have designed our data center around it.

What do you dislike?

Not much. The licensing can be a bit confusing at times. The product is available in different tiers, such as Essentials, Standard and Enterprise Plus. As you move up from the bottom tier, additional features are added. You need to understand the features at each tier to determine which product you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used Citrix Xenserver and Hyper-V as well. I strongly prefer vSphere over them both. Much better interface. VMware regularly releases improvements that make make it more flexible, more powerful, and easier to manage. Over there years they have added the ability to use live migration to virtual servers and virtual disks. In the x86 world, VMware invented server virtualization and they continue to stay ahead of all the other companies, including Microsoft. VMware vSphere is just awesome. It works well. It is rock solid. And it makes deploying, supporting, and managing the server environment so much easier and better.

We have realized so many benefits from our use of vSphere. We have eliminated many physical computers and have been able to consolidate onto a smaller number of more powerful, expandable computers. We are able to have a very usable test environment without having to dedicate additional expensive hardware. We also have an improved backup and disaster recovery design since we can back up the full virtual servers that can be run anywhere we need. We are able to bring down physical computers by live migration of the hosted virtual servers to other computers, reducing the amount of weekend/off-hours work.

We now have a highly expandable environment where we can easily add more memory or disk space to virtual servers as needed.

We have even been able to virtualize existing servers that were running on touchy, older software and move it to the virtualization environment so that it was no longer running on risky, older hardware. Plus, because it is now running on newer, faster hardware the application can run faster.

vSphere review by Hernán P.
Hernán P.

"The best virtualization platform"

What do you like best?

We use VMware vSphere for more than 5 years in our company. Say what are the things I like VMware really take a long time, but get to the point.

The stability and reliability of the platform really make the best virtualization solution in the world, no doubt. I have tried other products and none is up to VMware. In addition to easy deployment in the data center, the features offered by the administrator are amazing. For example, HA, FT, vMotion, are all features that protect information and achieve use of infrastructure completely.

It is the pioneer in virtualization on x86 platform, and today it is not possible to think in environments that are not virtualized with VMware.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike few things VMware, but one could say that within those few things is the operating speed of the Web Client. It could improve a lot in this regard, for example by allowing use Flash for your interface. It should also keep the windows customer in the future release of vSphere 6.5.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said earlier, a recommendation would be that the Web client performance is improved. That interface with Flash is not at all attractive and quick to use. Furthermore, it should include more integration with otroas platforms.

We managed to solve all the problems of return on investment, ease of management and maximize data center physical resources nustros equipment. We will also implement desktop virtualization.

vSphere review by Tom D.
Tom D.

"Forever changed our Server Model"

What do you like best?

Super productive to be able to have a new virtual server up and in production in less than 15 minutes. It used to be weeks before this would happen with physical server, between ordering the server, waiting for delivery, racking, updating drivers, installing and updating the OS.

What do you dislike?

Getting used to the vSphere web client has been a little difficult but that's because I'm so used to doing all my daily tasks with the the client app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best in class virtualization software. In my 18 years at my current job, easily a top 3 decision to go with VMware.

We can now easily support new ideas and fill needs immediately for new servers. Projects get off the ground quickly and efficiently

vSphere review by Mónica V.
Mónica V.

"vmware the backup of your IT infrastructure."

What do you like best?

the ability of the algorithm that vmware uses to communicate with the host and optimize my pool of resources (memory, processors etc) allows me to set measurement parameters to evaluate the performance of my servers that have improved a lot since i am using vmware.

What do you dislike?

the price of your license is by numbers of processors, and it is a little high, but the advantages it gives your infrastructure are imprecise the performance that your data center acquires by using standard tools and under ISO.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like it because I can control my virtual machines from a centralized environment, with vcenter to make hot migrations of my virtual machines moving them from one cluster to another without interrupting the service and in a controlled and automatic way.

vSphere review by Michael E.
Michael E.

"VMware vSphere is the industry standard for a Hypervisor"

What do you like best?

The vSphere client allows you to connect to the vsphere host and do all sorts of functions on your virtual machines. I like vSphere because it is rock solid and integrates into other really useful products like veeam and zerto. Virtualization in general has been an incredible, industry changing, invention.

What do you dislike?

I'm not really a fan of the the web version of the vSphere client. Other than that its really hard to find fault with it.... there has been some problems with QC of late. So, if they can slow down on focus on being rock solid before bells and whistles would be good

Recommendations to others considering the product

I find it to be the industry standard.

Consolidate many servers to one. Gain the many benefits that virtualization offers, the ability to easily backup / DR / vMotion / Storage vMotion. Easy upgrades to new hardware, the benefits are incredible!

vSphere review by carlos d.
carlos d.

" the virtualization standard of data centers."

What do you like best?

the way how vmare communicates and takes control of my host, is a way that manages more efficiently than any existing virtualization tool in the market, it takes full advantage of my resources, without a doubt the best what can exist in this area, the way cm storage vmotion communicates with my clusters, as it is replicated in the different clusters, gives me a confidence and confidence in using their products.

What do you dislike?

without a doubt a good solution, not all the time with a high payment, the only thing that would criticize your solutions is the cost, which is a bit high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

simply the best virtualization tool that can exist, if you are doing a new implementation in your vmware data center you should use.

vSphere review by Jeremy G.
Jeremy G.

"A significant improvement from Hyper-V"

What do you like best?

Ease of setup. Our Hyper-V cluster was a nightmare to set up initially. Getting ESXi loaded onto each server and getting it configured was a comparative breeze. Documentation is wonderful and consists of multiple PDFs broken down into every element of install and management.

What do you dislike?

Tools to convert and migrate our old Hyper-V VMs to VMWare worked OK, but was clunky and slow for large servers. Ended up being far, far faster to rebuild a few machines then restore from backup then running the standalone converter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a quote. You might be surprised. We're running a three-server cluster, 6CPU/12CORES and 1 separate license for a management server, which was the entry-level license for vSphere. It was about 1/4th what we were initially told VMware cost...

(Of course we already had about $60,000 worth of hardware to run it on from the Hyper-V virtualization a few years prior, so this was just the price for the software alone.)

We started with Hyper-V for the same reason most did; "Because it's free." Admittedly, it did do the job... once we got over the hurdles of the initial setup. However we always had small, nagging issues...

When we finally got the budget approved for VMWare, we made the switch. The total cost was far less than what I had originally anticipated, which was nice.

vSphere review by Dor A.
Dor A.

"Takes Corporate Infrastructure to a new level"

What do you like best?

Vmware vsphere is absolutely the best product out there for managing your Virtual Infrastructure. creating and managing numerous virtual machines / servers on a single host / cluster, is simply amazing.

best HA and redundant solution i've seen and very easy to use UI.

What do you dislike?

the pricing of Enterprise grade licences that include some very critical modules like - storage vMotion is extremely high. since it's a market leader i can understand, but it's still very high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

best in class and market leader in virtualization.

the cost of this product is much less than the costs of an entire data-center together with the upgrading of hardware and technology.

in a world of IT fast becoming cloud based... vmware is the best solution in both cloud and on-prem options.

The Dynamic abilities vmware provides is amazing. i can create a new server at the touch of a button, deploy an OS with another and in a few minutes i can start installing a new software and be up in the air.

The costs of IT I infrastructure on Big data centers and equipment is reduced to just a number of hosts, which can hold tens/hundreds of virtual servers.

The Ease to Backup is also a huge advantage.

vSphere review by Aaron S.
Aaron S.

"The standard for virtualization"

What do you like best?

Easy to expand hard drive capacity. No need to install software for management - it is all web based now, which takes getting used to. Easy to get demo licenses to try out additional software. All downloads and licenses are on your account when you sign in to your profile. I was easily able to set up various versions of Windows, MAC, Linux, and even DOS systems in minutes.

What do you dislike?

It was a little tricky to get 3D graphics hardware to emulate in the system - needed to know how to set graphics card properly. Takes getting used to the web only interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great website - downloads, license keys, trials, etc, are all on their website under your account once you sign in.

vSphere review by Steven C.
Steven C.

"vSphere - great product for managing virtual servers and desktops"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface. Logical interface. All options are logically located around the screens. For the most part, the software is very well though out.

Also like the extreme extent to the event logging that occurs in real time.

From a service perspective, their knowledge base including both user submitted issues, and noted official KB's is extensive. Lots of issues can be handled without vendor engagement due to these knowledge base articles. They come in very handy when it comes to upgrades as well.

What do you dislike?

The cost of the various VMware products are fairly expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend time consulting with VMware. Explain your wants and needs to them, and have them consult on a recommended setup.

Always have a safety net of resources available. We found the scope of the VMWare services escalated quickly with everyone wanting to jump on board. We were lucky to be able to contain all the requests with our original procurement of hardware.

Centralized location to manage a ton of systems. Makes administration of these systems very easy. Can make subtle changes on the fly to different systems.

vSphere review by Rod M.
Rod M.

"Solid, feature-rich enterprise level product"

What do you like best?

Enterprise level support and unparalleled scalability. VMware vSphere also offers you a rich level of configuration options so that the implementer can tailor the tool according to any environment. The vMotion feature is powerful, providing a full and seamless move of VM allowing for full business continuity. At places I've worked where there are two or more data centres, vMotion has proven to be invaluable during times of data centre outages.

What do you dislike?

The price is high compared with Microsoft Hyper-V. As well, for smaller companies, vSphere may be way too over-featured and add way too much overhead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this tool for it's core use - managing VMs - and not other add-ons such as Horizon where those technologies are less mature.

The ability to save costs on purchasing physical servers by compressing many virtual servers onto hypervisors. Also allows much more flexibility for keeping redundancy and integrity of individual VMs using vMotion and other baked-in features.

vSphere review by Laura P.
Laura P.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

I think VMware has been one of my best experiences in virtualization. This is a software that lets you manage multiple operating systems in a virtual environment, so you will have the opportunity to implement on a platform with a system such as Windows or Linux, other virtual machines with different operating systems. In this way, you will have a full hardware emulation of different operating systems.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I can honestly say that there are not many things I dislike about the product. I would like the user interface to be improved a bit, but even so I find it very understandable. Last thing, they may reconsider the price to the customer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are relatively new to work in this field, this is the product to start with the best, thanks to its complete versatility and intuitiveness!

Here we use VMware for anything related to the server, in addition to virtualization to save time in terms of hardware management.

vSphere review by Rosalia D.
Rosalia D.

"the standard company in virtualization"

What do you like best?

the ease of integration of my infrastructure with the different solutions that I have acquired, the ease with which I can manage my data center in a very easy way, thanks to its easy interface, allowing me to manage my storage to have control of my data storage and control the consumption of those resources of my virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I do not think is the price of your license, however, the solutions applied by VMware have helped me solve many problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have full control of all the resources of your data center and ensure business continuity, they are the ones to take your data center forward.

vSphere review by Sarah G.
Sarah G.

"Effective Learning and Resource Management Tool for IT Professionals"

What do you like best?

We have several servers set up for virtual machines, and resource sharing, and vSphere makes it easy to manage what resources are available.

What do you dislike?

It is not the most intuitive software, and requires a lot of training. Users should already be familiar with VMWare, and how hypervisors work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a definite learning curve, so make sure you spend time researching features. As with any software, the more you use and experiment, the more you understand the capabilities and how to access them.

We have 100+ students who create virtual machines in VMware, and we use vSphere to manage the machines, as well as our servers and network resources.

vSphere review by Yosibel Q.
Yosibel Q.

"the number 1 in virtualization of data centers."

What do you like best?

the ease of how vmware serves the services for the administration makes it the most reliable and efficient in the market by implementing menus, pleasant and easy to use to clients in the graphic aspect, how to optimize and take advantage of the resources of our platform. the best of all.

What do you dislike?

the only thing I dislike about VMware is the cost, it has a high cost but over time you are solving and taking account of how much vmware saves you in energy consumption, and other facilities of your data center.

Recommendations to others considering the product

simply the most robust and efficient in the world of virtualization, in addition to the quality of its operators when it comes to support.

vSphere review by Guillermo Y.
Guillermo Y.

" Data center with vmware."

What do you like best?

What I like about the different functions that vmware offers is the portability and mobility that we can give servers, in terms of migration, cloning and optimization of our hardware resources, which allows a level of trust for these infrastructures.

What do you dislike?

What I do not like is that their functions are very fragmented and a lot of licensing is needed to have an optimal infrastructure, so the cost of each license makes us re-plan each project and what we will use of VMware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What I recommend to other users is to see the magnitude of their projects and study each of the packages offered by VMware which suits their projects and needs.

vSphere review by Kevan M.
Kevan M.

"VMware vSphere hypervisor"

What do you like best?

The performance of this product seems to far exceed hyper-v. The management of the guest VM's as well as the management and configuration of the host is far easier. You have far greater control and detailed settings than in hyper-v. By comparison, hyper v seems more like an after thought where as vmware seems far more planned and professional. Its fast and easy to install, maybe 15 minutes at most.

What do you dislike?

There isnt much about it that I don't like. The restrictions on memory ended in 5.5, which was my only complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The base install of vsphere is good but benefits come when purchasing at least the essentials or essentials plus licenses. You'll get management capability through vcentre which allows the management of multiple hosts through one console. The API's that you get with the paid version will allow you to use backup software directly to the hypervsior. There are plenty that connect directly to the host, allowing quick backups with de-duplication as well as quick restore of a vm for fast recovery times.

We have reduced the amount of physical servers on site from 14 to just 4. Backups are easy and restores are very fast. Every new server that I deploy at any site will be running this as the hypervisor.

vSphere review by Sam P.
Sam P.

"Vsphere"

What do you like best?

The fact you can manage all your servers from one convenient location, The ability to set up replications and alter settings quickly and easily.

What do you dislike?

bringing a replication online is very long winded. It works but it isnt as good as hyper V anymore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hyper V has progressed massively where as VM ware seems to have gone a bit stagnant.

We used to have full physical servers and this allowed us to go fully virtual. This has saved time, money and repairs.

vSphere review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Industry Standard for Virtualized Servers and Management"

What do you like best?

This is the industry standard virtual server management system. It runs on a custom Linux OS (VMWare ESX) which eliminates the overheard hits you would get with Microsoft's Hyper-V offering. However, as opposed to Hyper-V, vSphere is not free. The increased performance and vastly superior configuration toolsets and monitoring make this product worth the licensing costs. Additionally, VMWare's vSphere supports a wider variety of operating systems, including Mac OSX to run as a Virtual Machine compared to Hyper-V which is basically Windows only.

What do you dislike?

If you are not familiar with Linux and you are coming from a Windows based virtualization toolset, the learning curve can be steep and setup can be tricky. This is to be expected, however.

Outside of the learning curve, there is very little to dislike about vSphere. I have noted a couple quirks, though. First, the Guest OS viewer in the vSphere client can frequently fail with "connection issues" and so far the only fix we have found is to restart the workstation that is running the vSphere client. Also, I would have preferred a little more straight forward way to manage snapshots and the datastore. How you navigate the datastore is a bit odd and not in a traditional menu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be familiar with, or ready to learn, Linux.

We have four vSphere servers running four to five virtual machines each. These four servers have replaced, hypothetically, up to 20 physical servers. 15 servers removed from our server room drastically reduces our energy use both for the servers themselves and the cooling costs for the server room.

vSphere review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"VMWare vSphere"

What do you like best?

I like the fact how VMWare is getting involved with the "software defined data center" and how vSphere is the building block for this. vSphere has evolved significantly from ESXi 5.5 and the newer version of this (6.5) is absolutely a step in the right direction of getting rid of third party dependency (SQL Server, Windows Server) etc to run vCenter and with the appliances, vCenter has native HA.

What do you dislike?

vSphere Enterprise Plus is not cheap and if you want to get management pack, licensing those becomes very tricky.

We are controlling VM sprawl, we are automating VM deployment in a pure self service model and we have the analytics to bill directly to Lines of Businesses and have a granular view of what our environment looks like. With NSX, we are able to secure our VMs and the networks by micro-segmenting VMs across the wire.

vSphere review by Stephen S.
Stephen S.

"VSphere - The best thing since sliced bread"

What do you like best?

Vmware has helped our small company of 35 users become less dependent on hardware and let's me spend more time worrying about the other issues that come up.

vSphere is easy to use and has a lot of community support as well as professional forum support.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can say I dislike about vSphere is the web agent VMware implemented instead of the C# program that has been standard up until version 5.1.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't say it enough, this product is great and has saved us so much time and energy.

We are solving the greatest one of all, time. The time spent just to recover 1 machine is greatly reduced compared to bare metal restores you would have to do before virtualization.

vSphere review by Krzysztof L.
Krzysztof L.

"Good and complex but could be better"

What do you like best?

VMWare for fact is best virtualization company. The amount of complexity and option that's available will suit every company. Mostly offers what other company do, here I do like their Hight Availability with share storage, no downtime, or Fault tolerant VMs that run on two hosts simultaneously. Power management is sublime, can move your VMs during night to one host and suspend the other to save power.

What do you dislike?

Price and Licensing can be off-putting. They developed fantastic (for me) web gui vCentre however there are things you can only do from desktop client (updates) and things that can only be used in web gui (new hardware version 5.5+) I sure hope they will make all features available in both desktop and web for administrators to pick what they prefer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best available virtualization platform, compatible with all OVFs. Most third-party supported solution.

reducing physical servers, better management and availability.

vSphere review by Evan G.
Evan G.

"vSphere 6 Review"

What do you like best?

Ability to install on virtually any piece of hardware

What do you dislike?

There should be an easier way to match up the HCL to the equipment you are trying to install vSphere on

Recommendations to others considering the product

Deploy 6.0 with the latest patches to cover spectre/meltdown

Virtualizing business critical workloads has saved the company on heating/cooling/power in the datacenter

vSphere review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Solid virtualization platform, API capabilities not as simple as OpenStack"

What do you like best?

They have are a proven leader in the virtualization world with all the features you can ever need.

What do you dislike?

As of vSphere 5.5, the API was based on SOAP and was extremely complex. Even with the available libraries out there for Python (pysphere for example) which abstract somewhat the complexity, it is still a challenge to accomplish simple things via the SOAP API (such as adding a network card to a VM and connecting it to a DVS). Comparing this to OpenStack's REST API which is much simpler and requires less code to accomplish these simple tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider OpenStack (Mirantis) first as in my opinion vSphere is not comparable to a true cloud OS such as OpenStack (even though they do offer VMware integrated Openstack but I don't see the point in it).

Running a virtual environment rather than bare metal allows me to reduce hardware costs (although the licensing costs of vSphere are extremely high). This also provides hardware redundancy for my virtual machines so it is less a must-have for HA at the application layer. I can now treat my servers with code-defined-infrastructure methodologies.

vSphere review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"vsphere is a must have tool to manage servers running ESXi"

What do you like best?

vSphere makes it easy to manage servers running VMWare ESXi, the interface is familiar to users of VMWare workstation.

vSphere makes it easy to connect to a Hypervisor running ESXi and create, modify and maintain virtual machines.

The web client is also very useful if you don't happen to have vSphere installed on your PC.

What do you dislike?

The vSphere package is quite large, this can be a nightmare when trying to urgently connect to a hypervisor from a PC that may not have it installed, especially on slower connections when the download may take some time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VSphere is an absolute must for anyone running ESXi, it is one of the only ways to manage your ESXi server but it is fast, reliable and easy to use making it ideal for the job.

vSphere allows us to connect to our hypervisors from just about anywhere meaning less travel time to sites to maintain servers as well as diagnosing faults.

ESXi on a whole allows us to have less physical servers and better server management on a whole with the ease of use and stability.

vSphere review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Powerful, but just okay for end-users"

What do you like best?

It's easy to have many virtual machines running and manage their status/setup. It's also super easy for end-users to get started, and to segment permissions between users (e.g. only a group of users can customize virtual environments, while others can simply login and use them via the console).

What do you dislike?

No copy/paste between client and virtual machine, and managing settings or setup can be clunky for end-users. The settings boxes are confusing key-values in a massive list, and hard to figure out what does what. It can also be a bit aggressive when capturing your mouse input, and isn't directly intuitive as to how to get it back to your client machine's control.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's powerful, but make sure you've got someone with experience setting up virtual machines and configuring networking.

Using vSphere, it's easy to manage many virtual environments in a group, and addresses networking issues by having them share a private network. We also use it to keep certain assets outside of our internal network, while still being able to manage them and access their data.

vSphere review by Kenneth P.
Kenneth P.

"Review from the trenches."

What do you like best?

I love the look and feel of VMWare Vsphere. The layout is very simple and not convoluted with unneeded icons and bloatware. It is a get down to work and to the point console. The hosts and clusters appear right up front and center and are in plain view upon launching the console. All the administrative tasks are in a relative simple location to find and configure.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that the stand alone client is eventually going to go away for the web based client. I also dislike that replication cannot be done in vpshere 6 from the stand alone client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Allow all functions of the web based client on the stand alone client

We are using vmware to deploy VMs that will allow us to regression test prior to rolling out to any staging or production regions. This allows us to critique and fix any issues that are seen prior to rolling out.

vSphere review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Quality system virtualization that you can depend on"

What do you like best?

It is a dependable product. It will run a large variety of workloads, and operating systems without issue. Quirks are few and far between. For the most part it just works. The versatility is also great. Being the industry standard, most vendors anticipate it, and have experience with it. So we don't really have vendors saying, "we can't promise this will work if you virtualize it..." It really just works.

What do you dislike?

The recurring costs of licensing it. But at this point we haven't found a competing product that will offer the versatility and stability we get from VMWare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Eventually the hypervisor will be standardized, and the benefit VMWare provides will be unnecessary. But a this time they are the safest bet. If you can afford it, and if uptime and reliability are worth more than some licensing cost, I strongly recommend vmware vsphere. The product is rock solid.

More efficient resource utilization. Portability of work loads. Redundancy. We have seen benefits in all of these categories. Our hardware budgets have shrunk by about 75%. without affecting customer experience. All virtualized workloads are portable, between physical vmware servers, and even between datacenters. Any workload can be run on any vmware server.

vSphere review by User in Higher Education

"VMware, the virtualization leader"

What do you like best?

Still is the best experience in virtualization so far. Interface is relatively straightforward and informative. The presence of a web client is useful when I'm not near my main system for responding to emergencies while not at work. Scheduling tasks and alarms as well as spinning up new instances and snapshots are straightforward

What do you dislike?

The web client is quite laggy, while it's not unusable, it is definitely not what I would use on a daily basis, it's only good for emergencies. The client is still the best way to use vSphere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a steep learning curve for virtualization, but it's well worth it, and VMware is the best to start with

We use virtualization for everything server related. We run a clinic, so we have peak times when people are logging into our servers. With load balancing, VMs being moved to other physical servers during peak times to take advantage of underutilized server resources is great. Snapshots are always a boon to our development teams in addition to my needs when testing application updates and installs.

vSphere review by Alex S.
Alex S.

"VMware vSpere review"

What do you like best?

Central location to manage all resources including VM, storage, users, policy, disaster recovery using VMware

What do you dislike?

I cant say I don't like anything about it. I use it daily and its a lot better than Hyper V and a lot less complicated than AWS

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you try it and have tried the other Vendors in the Virtualization software you will see the huge benefit of being able to manage everything in your Infrastructure from one place

Virtualizing servers gives us no downtime and the ability to add storage without bringing down the servers. Benefits are huge with Vcenter as you can allocate resources to servers based on usage

vSphere review by ali f.
ali f.

" vmware the future of data centers"

What do you like best?

I like it because I can simply manage my entire platform in a very simple way and in a single interface thanks to the vcenter application.

What do you dislike?

one of the few things that I do not like without a doubt is its price, for each service, it is a cost and sometimes a different license, but it is worth the expense since I can last in the continuity of the business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

simply the best company in the administration and virtualization of your data center.

vSphere review by Administrator in Staffing and Recruiting
Administrator in Staffing and Recruiting

"Easy way to organize and maintain virtual machines"

What do you like best?

VMware Sphere makes it very easy to organize a very large amount of Virtual Machines in one place, with quick access to machine performance statistics and console view.

What do you dislike?

It could definitely be improved, in the past I've had to access VCenter for some tasks and VSphere for others, unifying them would be ideal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Useful tool to access virtual machines for troubleshooting and making changes to configurations.

We have a large amount of Virtual Machines to manage and VSphere makes that possible.

vSphere review by Luca C.
Luca C.

"A perfect visualizzation platform,"

What do you like best?

VMware vSphere is a complete virtualization platform. Since the first use is very intuitive and the interface is very user friendly.

It allows you to schedule a variety of automated tasks, you can manage various storage types in effective and immediate way.

It can obviously be used for disaster recovery solutions, high availability and data recovery.

What do you dislike?

If you are virtualizing servers that require an excessive workloads (in terms of IO) probably you will need to do some thorough tests because not all applications can run in the same way like a physical server.

The price is not the most economical.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Obviously if you decide to virtualize a server farm large enough, it is good to first make an analysis and a detailed estimate of cost and workload, all the infrastructure which Vsphere will run, should be appropriate to the workload.

By using Vsphere it was possible to save management time in terms of hardware and adaptability of the work environment changes.

Many physical servers were reused because virtualized, automated many operations. In some cases several backups used for different applications have been replaced with a full backup of the virtual machine.

vSphere review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Easiest Software To Deploy Virtual Machines With"

What do you like best?

One is able to deploy, clone, manage or migrate virtual machines easily with little to no experience.

What do you dislike?

Some new version releases can have some unusual bugs and its best to wait for the updates to come out before going with a new version release quickly.

By using vSphere we are able utilize virtual machines in our environment. This gives us greater flexibility and reduced implementation time when it comes to creation and deployment of virtual servers. As well as reduced capital expenditure costs.

vSphere review by Delfin D.
Delfin D.

"Very nice VM management tool"

What do you like best?

This tool is a great choice due to ease of managing VM operations.

User interface made it very easy to make changes in the VM configuration like RAM, Memory and many more.

Performance of all VMs can be monitored through the tool.

Using this tool, we could easily identify the problematic VMs and repair immediately.

What do you dislike?

Import/Export features were not available/not easy to use.

User interface was very slow in response.

Sometimes hot keys takes the user to a never ending loop

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very nice tool for a mid size organization. Highly recommended for VM pools for testing purpose. These VM pools can be used for Test automation, Load testing and Performance Testing.

I have a comprehensive test automation framework and it needed more than 20 VMs to be used as test execution nodes. We used VSphere to meet our requirement. Since the tests were running in parallel, it was important to monitor the health of the test nodes to ensure that they are not running out of resources.

vSphere review by Roberto B.
Roberto B.

"Virtualization console"

What do you like best?

VShere is a great virtualization console for managing and creating different virtual machine.

U need a dedicated computer for ESXi OS. U can greate UO virtual computer, take snapshot or duplicate machine.. so cool.

Perfect for testing or creating a different enviroment.. depending on HW power of hosting esxi machine.

What do you dislike?

not simple to find option for example i always forgot where to find Datastore for upload iso.

Cant use Esxi without another computer where vshere is installer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Could help your work, creating virtual machine for test or managing esxi computer. It's quite all free.

Virtualization and test computer. Model office deployment and console machine dedicated.

vSphere review by User in Computer Software

"Simple to control multiple VMs in a single app"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to be able to control all the VM workstations in my group from a single application. Being able to close VMs and create/maintain templates is a nice feature for large scale deployment.

What do you dislike?

When using the web client version, I can't get it to work with IE. I can only launch it in FireFox, which I don't use frequently. It's not a huge issue, just something I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maintaining multiple virtual machines is a snap using the vmware vSphere client. Everything you can do at the machine, you can do from the client.

vmware streamlines administration of multiple machines and users. Troubleshooting a user issue is much easier by being able to connect directly to their VM without needing to physically be at the machine. It saves time and money by allowing admins to be on call remotely vs. on site 24-7.

vSphere review by Jami S.
Jami S.

"Ease of use with vSphere"

What do you like best?

I like that VMware vSphere is easy to install and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I haven't encountered anything that I dislike about using vSphere.

I use vSphere to create and manage the various virtual servers in my office infrastructure using the ESXi hypervisor. The benefits are that it's easy to use, there are a lot of online guides and manuals I can use for assistance and the user interface is very simple.

vSphere review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"Easy to learn"

What do you like best?

The interface is well-designed and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is nothing I dislike about Vsphere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Vsphere. My only caution would be NOT to pair it with Nutanix. Yes, it works, however it introduces a layer of complexity which can cause problems.

Managing large numbers of VM's, easily spinning up new servers, easily resizing virtual disks.

vSphere review by Dawid K.
Dawid K.

"Solid virtualization platform"

What do you like best?

Ease of management, clear and straight forward interface.

Ability to use Windows client as well as web based interface.

vMotion feature - moving live VM between hosts/datastores.

Hosts clustering feature.

What do you dislike?

Web based client still needs some polishing.

Windows client is going to be discontinued with a next major release of vSphere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is solid and proven industry standard system. You can't really go wrong with vSphere.

Deploying and managing almost 200 virtual machines.

Hosts clustering allows for HA setup and ease of maintenance.

vSphere review by Raj R.
Raj R.

"Ease of setup"

What do you like best?

Application very easy to install & fairly easy to set up - even novice users would not have any trouble. Overall good quality & functionality. Have not had to call customer support -- which is a good thing. Good value.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't allow for RDP protocol in the iOS version.Would need further assistance from outside sources in order to get some items to work like you had thought.

vSphere review by Travis N.
Travis N.

"The standard"

What do you like best?

I achieve much higher vm per host ratio with vmware versus hyper-v

What do you dislike?

It's much more expensive thant hyper-v once you start looking at enterprise solutions.

Much needed consolidation of physical infrastructure

vSphere review by Anton U.
Anton U.

"VMware vSphere"

What do you like best?

vMotion. Your main competitor (Microsoft) still hasn't figured it out.

What do you dislike?

The web client, it's so flimsy. I don't use it a lot or prefer not to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start by building 3 hosts with 1 datastore then go from there.

The return on investment and cost is beneficial after 6 months. Ease of administration, not having to drive at the site.

vSphere review by Andrew R.
Andrew R.

"The gold standard for a reason"

What do you like best?

Aside from the usual benefits of virtualization, VMWare is constantly raising the bar by adding new features and technologies. They've just added multiprocessor fault tolerance for example, they're working out the slowness issues with the GUI and adding cool new technology like VSAN

What do you dislike?

The pricing and licensing are a nightmare. The GUI is nearly unsably slow at times

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its expensive, but for a very good reason: Its the best at what it does. Bear in mind the pricing, and also bear in mind that many of the other products you use might use a different licensing model if you virtualize them

We are able as an IT organization to be far more agile than we previously would have been.

vSphere review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.

"University Review"

What do you like best?

Lets us fully utilize our investment in our hardware. Reduces our costs

What do you dislike?

Flash/html console Miss the old FAT client

Recommendations to others considering the product

TAM Support is the best.

Consolidation and lowering costs

vSphere review by Administrator in Information Services
Administrator in Information Services

"Leader for a reason!"

What do you like best?

Stability! Proven infrastructure environment that integrates well with varied hardware vendors. Support for major operating systems and virtual appliances and industry leading performance and support.

What do you dislike?

Cost aside, absolutely nothing! It's easy to use client GUI or web based interface are wonderful!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perform your due diligence when you compare this product to other products on an apples to apples, features to features based concept. You will come to the same conclusion that this product has a rare ability to offer so much more for your money!

Business continuity, upgrades and additions to existing environment, resource consolidation, central point of monitoring and management, disaster recovery, simple virus and penetration intrusion detection and prevention,...

vSphere review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Great enterprise virtualization"

What do you like best?

Solid visualization platform. Easy end user tools like the fat VSphere Client and the Web interface.

The Fault tolerance feature in VMWare 6 looks very interesting.

What do you dislike?

As a regular Virtualbox user it's great to be able to connect into the console for any VM over RDP, regardless of support in the guest OS. I've been unable to find this feature in VMWare.

Used to host many servers and reduce physical footprint.

vSphere review by James B.
James B.

"Reasonable web client for administrating VM WARE servers"

What do you like best?

web interface is easy to access and provides enough functionality.

What do you dislike?

they discontinued the stand alone client which I prefer for day to day use

Recommendations to others considering the product

worth doing

administrating VM WARE servers on the companies Data Center

vSphere review by Eric I.
Eric I.

"One of the Most powerful well rounded tools in the trade. "

What do you like best?

One of newest items to be included with vSphere is VDP advanced, this being now a free tool opens the door for a lot of new options. Allowing company's to adjust strategies, and compare costs.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike about this product, if i had to say something. It would be that the WEB interface has been known to be slower.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any prior experience with Linux is very helpful. .

This is one of the areas where vmware excels, have so many out of the box tools allows us to achieve solutions and complete projects and tasks in a timely matter, vmotion is one example of a great tool.

vSphere review by James K.
James K.

" Industry-leading Hypervisor"

What do you like best?

The performance for guest VMs (with proper resource provisioning) is excellent. Ease of navigation via the vShere desktop client is intuitive and easy to master. The desktop client is very responsive. Licensing price point is good for small businesses.

What do you dislike?

I am not yet a fan of using the vSphere Web Client, which I know VMware is pushing towards. Many techs are like me, and hold off on using it. At least for now. The desktop client is more responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This hypervisor gets the nod over its competitors in the industry.

This product is used to create and manage production virtual servers for numerous companies. The use of VMware is a wise choice over Microsoft's Hyper-V because of the vast number of IT professionals that know the product. This is not to say Hyper-V is inferior; it means that going with VMware guarantees competent support staff are abundant.

vSphere review by Scott D.
Scott D.

"Revolutionized IT"

What do you like best?

PowerCLI allows you to automate all the things, ensuring that the service delivery is done in a consistent way

What do you dislike?

I’ve had mixed results with the support organization. I think that through the company’s meteoric growth, a bit more focus should have been on support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a sales partner who you can rely on, especially as it pertains to licensing.

vSphere review by Vinh L.
Vinh L.

"Best product for enterprise"

What do you like best?

Best software for cloud computing. Improve our business continuity.

What do you dislike?

Difficult configure, but most of feature I love it.

Management and control all virtual server in my company. Save cost and improve our business continuity

vSphere review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"VMWare Review"

What do you like best?

The feature rich vmware works for most all virtual infrastructures. VMware has tons of features that make running a virtual environment possible.

What do you dislike?

The thing i would dislike the most is the most basic features cost so much. Things such as doing QoS on a virtual switch requires the highest priced version. V-storage motion while the computer is running is another that requires the enterprise version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If price is not a concern then go with vSphere

We run our production portion on the vsphere environment. We see the benefits in templates that enable us to spin up new servers with out much hassle

vSphere review by User in Higher Education

"A solid piece of software for managing VM's. Established name in virtualization"

What do you like best?

The vsphere desktop app is quick and snappy and provides quick access to any virtual machine in your environment. Plenty of information is provided about each vm.

What do you dislike?

The interface can seem clunky at first. There is a strong learning curve for folks who need to learn to administrate vmware. I have no issue using it as a user who manages a few vm's. I would like to know more about Vsphere, but feel it would take a long time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vsphere is simple to use. There is very little required to get up and running.

We are visualizing many servers, saving operating, management and hardware costs.

vSphere review by Julian M.
Julian M.

"Easy to manage "

What do you like best?

Im able to manage all my virtual infrastructure via one tool.

What do you dislike?

licensing can be a bit confusing and some one expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware is heading in the right direction,

Using this hypervisor has solved all my issues specially when its hooked up to Vcenter

vSphere review by Aaron T.
Aaron T.

"A must-have console, a less desirable web interface."

What do you like best?

vSphere serves as our single pane of glass dashboard for our hypervisor environment. Adoption by all other major vendors has provided us with plug-ins to manage the majority of our infrastructure using vSphere instead of having appliance access to every single product. The product updates are timely and substantial in nature, generally providing a huge bump in functionality with a limited learning curve.

What do you dislike?

In newer versions of the software the web console is the recommended access method. It's not as user friendly and there are many plug-ins that don't yet work. The licensing model has been a constant source of headache for the past few years, it seems VMware is yet to figure out exactly how they want to license their various products and vSphere is no exception. We don't mind the cost of the product, but the changing licensing model does cause an issue with forecasting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with all of your other infrastructure vendors to find out if they have plug-ins for both the console and web versions of vSphere, this will make administration a breeze.

This was a problem we didn't know we had until we started to virtualize, the ability to manage all of our hypervisor infrastructure using a single application with advanced feature sets. The benefits have been huge cost savings over our physical infrastructure and lots of freed up time for our administrators to concentrate on issues rather than maintenance.

vSphere review by Christopher B.
Christopher B.

"Vmware vsphere"

What do you like best?

Simple to use application to allow administration of VM's

What do you dislike?

Sometimes slow or difficult to login to the console

Administrative tasks

vSphere review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"So simple to use and administer an IT platform."

What do you like best?

How it is simple to adjust resources to your VMs and administer the whole platform.

What do you dislike?

Confusing to understand at first due to lack of helpful information but once understood easy to implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the free hyper-visor and vsphere to try it out before purchasing.

Simple management and set up of servers using existing hardware instead of purchasing new server hardware.

vSphere review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Used it for years and still love it!"

What do you like best?

the ease of use and the power you have to administer it. We are using vsphere 6 currently and had started out on 4.0. this has helped our business really grow with out a huge physical infrastructure. the thing i like the best is snapshots. very easy to rollback without having to reload a server if something goes wrong.

What do you dislike?

wish the licensing wasn't so expensive. other than that we love it.

We are a software developer so just being able to spin up new machines and us snapshot feature is invaluable.

vSphere review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Amazing software to utilize your hardware better"

What do you like best?

lets you tap into the unused resources of your server without additional cost.

What do you dislike?

If you want to use the coolest features of the software, you need to pay, so its a freemium model.

I am downsizing the number of servers in my server room to reduce energy usage and clutter.

vSphere review by Jill V.
Jill V.

"Great option for remote desktop!"

What do you like best?

I like that the program is easy to use. It is very user friendly and takes no time at all to load.

What do you dislike?

I have noticed that the program can run with a bit of latency at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I found that the program is very useful as a remote desktop.

vSphere review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"I love VMware's versatility!"

What do you like best?

I personally like the App Volumes and User Environment Manager combination, as it allows us to provide granular applications to the end users and makes for easy setup of the applications for new users.

What do you dislike?

Figuring out upgrade paths can be a pain, because of having to verify all the compatible versions between the different integrated components.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free Hypervisor and determine if the solution is right for you. It most likely will be, if you are trying to leverage the hardware you have for optimum use.

vSphere review by Administrator in Civil Engineering
Administrator in Civil Engineering

"vSphere Review"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to view your inventory. Information about my datastores, clusters, and hosts is only a click or two away.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how there is no way to remember a username/password combo for frequently used servers.

With vSphere, we are able to quickly build virtual machines that meet our needs, and access them from anywhere. vSphere makes it simple to manage large amounts of hardware and turn it into an efficient, robust computing environment.

vSphere review by David W.
David W.

"The best hypervizor!"

What do you like best?

It is very stable and provides the hisghest density of virtual machines of any hypervizor.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really - an excellent product and well worth the investment

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware vSphere is the best hypervisor on the market.

Allowing us to consolidate the footprint in our data center

vSphere review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"vSphere"

What do you like best?

Easy to manage from the vCloud portal. Pretty simple interface that can be figured out by just clicking through. Did not have to really go through a training or admin guide. Everything is pretty straight forward. vApps and the VM's themselves could be confusing to some people I suppose.

What do you dislike?

The design of the portal could be better. I would like a little cleaner interface. Maybe a tree design structure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VMware is what most people go to for VM's and I would have to agree that vSphere is probably one of the easier ones to manage.

Everything we have server wise is virtualized in the vm sphere. Makes management easy having everything under one portal. Cloud based access from anywhere.

vSphere review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"REmotely connect to vCenter"

What do you like best?

Allows users to remotely connect to vCenter Server from a variety of web browsers and operating systems.

What do you dislike?

Can be slow at times and not always as responsive as we need.

Allows direct management of a host or multiple hosts.

"Reliable intuitive software"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of management and scalability of the virtual machines. Cloning and taking snapshots makes scaling a breeze.

What do you dislike?

The version I am currently using does not let you size drives larger than 2TB. I think reporting could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to learn, stable, reliable, and scaleable.

Cost effective solution for managing multiple machines/servers in one central location. Cloning servers for a past upgrade project saved our IT team 40-60 man hours.

vSphere review by Administrator

"VSphere is Great - however there is a point where you out grow the Essentials"

What do you like best?

The industry Standard hypervisor. Lots of resources available for issues, tech support is generally fast. The product itself is a solid foundation for VM.

The number of 3rd Party applications is great, its been around long enough to be fine tuned.

What do you dislike?

Can become very complicated for a small SMB or small IT department without dedicated VMware team. The product is somewhat straight forward

Recommendations to others considering the product

For large organizations VMware makes sense, for smaller companies the price tag can get pretty heafty

We used VMware Vsphere to great lengths to grow our company in the last 7 years. Anytime we needed another VM we were able to spin one up.

vSphere review by Juanjo A.
Juanjo A.

"Best of class "

What do you like best?

Vmware Vsphere has more funcionalities than any other virtualization product

What do you dislike?

It is very expensive. Support is also expensive. There os no help on learning about the big number of applications they develope aroun the main product

Better use of hardware resources. Easier deployment of servers.

vSphere review by Administrator

"VMware vSphere - A great Administrator tool for VMWare"

What do you like best?

the new web interface introduce with v6 that is a great central point of management for all your ESX hosts. It lets you see all your host, datacenter and even the Datastores

What do you dislike?

the disadvantage that I see is the Web intervace can somtime not work with the flash version. It comes up with security errors and dosen't show the whole page

It is helping us turn our infrastructure into a Virtual environment

vSphere review by Casey B.
Casey B.

"VSphere Reveiw"

What do you like best?

Was nice to have my work desktop where ever I went.

What do you dislike?

It is only limited by the VM servers themself

It solved easily working remotely cause you could log into your computer where very you are.

vSphere review by Ammar H.
Ammar H.

"Great Software!"

What do you like best?

prioritization, easy disaster recovery and easy support

What do you dislike?

need 3rd party software to do professional backup

scalability

vSphere review by Parag V.
Parag V.

"Virtual Machine Management"

What do you like best?

The GUI interface that allows the network admins to handle number of virtual machines. All the virtual machines can be handled in a single window without affecting our current work.

What do you dislike?

Need improvement in terms of resource planning and allocations. It should allow the user to make changes for the resource allocation without switching off the virtual machines.

All the IT infrastructure related work are being handled using vSphere. It gives us a easy way to handle all the virtual servers that we have at our company.

vSphere review by Jesús Noehi P.
Jesús Noehi P.

"World leading Virtualization"

What do you like best?

Allows for full virtualization of the enterprise

What do you dislike?

Its hard to find something to dislike, as there are constantly updates

Virtualization of the full server infrastructure

"vmware vSphere"

What do you like best?

It is pretty simple to use and implement.

What do you dislike?

Some of the upgrades seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at all the pros and cons. Talk to others in the field for a feel of how they use this software, and what your needs/wants are.

We use this on a daily basis on our hosted servers.

vSphere review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"great vm management tool"

What do you like best?

Connecting and using different types of VMs under one roof, passing traffic and getting access to all the VM properties in a user friendly environment

What do you dislike?

I wish editing the properties was easier, console access takes away mouse control from other area of screen, I don't like that

Recommendations to others considering the product

go for it

deploying multiple VMs on UCS server and testing various network functionalities of routers, firewall and other VMS. Benefits are easy to deploy VMs, test features, centralized control, allocation of resources controlled by user.

vSphere review by Roxie S.
Roxie S.

"Great virtualization"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup virtual machines and manage multiple VMs

What do you dislike?

Up front pricing can be a little pricey.

Eliminating physical machines and setting them up virtually.

vSphere review by Pankaj A.
Pankaj A.

"Recovery of Virtual Infrastruture with vSphere"

What do you like best?

Vcenter product combined with Vmware Vsphere provides an excellent Virtualisation Solution combined with

the improved Vsphere Web Client bringing extra functionality.

Excellent platform features such Vmotion High Availability of Virtual Machine , DRS , and Fault Tolerence provide excellent resillience in a production environment.

What do you dislike?

Vmware Licensing can be pricy.

Learning to use the new Vsphere Web Client can be a learning curve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

vSphere is the leader in Virtualisation ahead of the competitors

Virtualization of our Datacentre has reduced cost of hardware , power and simplified administration and maintenance.

vSphere review by Aaron G.
Aaron G.

"Casual User"

What do you like best?

Savings on hardware and time for our division.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty of storage presentation. Provisioning a drive for 20TB doesn't mean you actually have 20TB.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save money and time on virtualizing your servers with the people who invented it.

Quick server deployment and savings on hardware cost.

vSphere review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"I used many vmware vspere server on my enterprise"

What do you like best?

Virtualize server to save money on hardware.

Nice way to optimize ressource performance vs investissement.

Easy to implement.

What do you dislike?

Configuring server with many networking interface with internal vlan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vmware vsphere is a very nice optimisation on any enterprise. Saving money on hardware with a leader on market is not a bad thing 😀

Save a lot of money on hardware.

Save space on server room.

Minimize external support cost on hardware.

vSphere review by Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness
Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Great software"

What do you like best?

Easy to manage all your virtual environment in one place. Easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Counsel some time doesn't work the way it should be.

Manage all hosts and SAN in one place and monitoring them. It saves time and efforts.

vSphere review by Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Best on-prem virtualization software"

What do you like best?

Wide array of vendor support. Near native hardware speed. Live migration of both compute and storage.

What do you dislike?

Rather expensive license costs. With costs being so high, there's no real cost savings over using native hardware with no virtualization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expensive but does what it claims.

Virtualizing critical infrastructure allowing snapshot backup and recovery and live migration of workloads.

vSphere review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"one of the top competitors"

What do you like best?

Easy to manage and really transparent. Pretty fast interface.

What do you dislike?

Some time hard to find some settings if you don't know exactly where they can be.

What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have yo