Wagtail

Wagtail is an open source CMS written in Python and built on the Django framework. Built by developers for developers, It offers a fast attractive interface for editors where content can be created and structured intuitively.

Work for Wagtail?

Showing 8 Wagtail reviews
Wagtail review by <span>Simon F.</span>
Simon F.

Flexible and easy-to-use CMS

What do you like best?

The streamfields feature radically simplifies the job of designing templates. You don't have to do so much work in advance, you can just create flexible page types and add the content you need. The interface itself is quick and enjoyable to use.

What do you dislike?

As with any CMS there are a few features we wish were already included such as it being less possible for one user to overwrite another users's changes, etc (in my mind two editors shouldn't be able to open a page at once).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like any open source software the support is, of course, dependent on community, or the skill / focus of the agency you use to build and maintain your site. Get a good agency!

With Wagtail we were able to develop and launch a site within 40 days, which I think says it all.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Wagtail
Wagtail review by <span>Ashley S.</span>
Ashley S.

Customizable for developers but mediocre usability

What do you like best?

I like that as a developer, I can create a custom content management experience for each of our clients. It is fairly easy to create new fields in the code.

What do you dislike?

While the backend is fairly easy to configure, the user interface is challenging for a non technical user to edit. Some of the functionality is hidden, like changing the page order and choosing a new page could potentially be confusing to a user since there can be many options to choose from. Also the rich text editor inside of wagtail is mediocre. Users cannot update the HTML code and it will add unnecessary paragraph tags, which leads to some headaches for our team.

The business problem we are solving is how to allow users to edit their website without interfering with our development schedule. Since the development team can add a variety of fields to the CMS, it is easy for internal users to change out photos or links without having to get into the code base.

What Web Content Management solution do you use?

Wagtail review by <span>Harry R.</span>
Harry R.

My favourite django cms

What do you like best?

It is a great piece of work goldarn it! Use it please. From the initial set up process it is fast, in fact there really isn't much you can't do if you set your mind to it. I primarily use it to create a help section for a website and it has been breeze, adding and image is simple, formatting them just as simple. And it looks and feels great when your using it.

What do you dislike?

The only downside that I can see so far is there is a steep learning curve if you want to do any real development, I haven't really done much development using Wagtail, but I have watched others and I think once you become comfortable with things like the terminal and template languages it would be fine, but until then quite hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you haven't worked with the terminal and template languages, and template hierarchy then get a developer to set all this up for you.

I am creating a help section for a website, so my main role is content management, adding videos and step by step guides. I have found this process to very straightforward and manageable as a WordPress developer.

Wagtail review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

Fun to use

What do you like best?

User friendly CMS, all the features you want, good layout and formatting. It is a fun platform to use if you're into coding and open source programming.

What do you dislike?

Could be confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy! Can appear not using friendly, which can be a good thing because it is trying to attract a certain client/customer/user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it only if you know open source, otherwise it will be too difficult and you should use another platform like Squarespace or Wix. If you like coding and open source platforms, use it! You will not be disappointed.

It helped create and manage our website which in turn helps business. The layout looks great and we have gotten a lot of compliments on our website. It has helped our customers find information faster, quicker, more efficient, and with ease.

Wagtail review by <span>Richard H.</span>
Richard H.

New open source CMS worth considering

What do you like best?

Wagtail has been developed with the web manager in mind. It helps simplify the management of complex websites.

Thought has gone into everything from how Wagtail features are labelled to predictive text for image searches. All these little things help to save time. From an interface point of view, I'd liken the design to being something Apple may produce.

I find some of the well established CMS solutions cumbersome, slow and confusing. Bolt-ons and extra modules make the experience far from seamless and bug ridden. The website we had before was built on Concrete 5 and we had many problems. With Wagtail there may have been one ... or even two in a year. But nothing more. This gives confidence in the robustness of the code base.

I also like the fact that new and exciting websites are being built on it., like: http://www.destinationspace.uk/ .

What do you dislike?

With it being a new open source CMS, people can be wary about using it. But there's a strong support community building up. And if you look on GitHub, there's plenty of action around the platform (be warned, only go there if you are a developer!)

For the less technically minded, you can see some of the sites that have been built on it here: http://madewithwagtail.org/

It's built on Django, so there should be plenty of people around who can quickly learn how it works, if needed. A number of digital agencies have embraced the CMS already.

I launched a website using this CMS one year ago and it has performed above expectations and we've seen site visits more the double to over one million. So it's more than proved itself to be Google friendly and technically robust.

I'm also told that due to the way Wagtail is created it takes around 20% less time to build with than Drupal. So there could be some big revenue savings.

Wagtail review by <span>Ben R.</span>
Ben R.

Lovely CMS built for Django developers

What do you like best?

How easy it is for developers to set up your page structures and how flexible it is (by extending Django).

What do you dislike?

I love most parts of Wagtail, there is only a few minor dislike and that was justified by the developers (not opening links in a new tab).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great CMS, would totally recommend (for Django developers)

Having an easy-to-use and flexible content managed website.

Learning about Wagtail?

* We monitor all Wagtail reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.