WatchGuard

Network security, email security and data loss prevention appliances

Work for WatchGuard?

Learning about WatchGuard?

WatchGuard Reviews

Ask WatchGuard a Question
Showing 22 WatchGuard reviews
WatchGuard review by Nishant T.
Nishant T.

"Nice but slow"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can access my Electronic Medical Record (EMR) from home. It makes life easier and happier. I can access my software/EHR from any place from any device. The only problem is accessing this product from outside can be a headache as it is very slow to connect. It lets you do your work at your convenience as well. It also takes you back to the place where you left off in case it freezes or is disconnected. It automatically saves the work as well.

What do you dislike?

It can be very slow and annoying at times. It takes several minutes before you can finally access it. If there is a problem with connection and you are disconnected, it takes several minutes before you can re-access it. I would love it to be more user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good product. It helps you be more productive. It lets you access your product from different places and devices. Makes life much easier. It can be easily authorized to multiple users and they would appreciate it all the times. There are not much update needed. It does take up a lot of space and may make the pc slow.

more people can access EMR from home. More productivity is always welcome. It also frees up desktops at work. You can take your laptop at work and work as you move different places and at different times of the day.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about WatchGuard
WatchGuard review by James M.
James M.

"Complete Security Solution in one box"

What do you like best?

I came from a background of Fortinet, Cisco and other firewalls so watchguard was something that i had to take time to learn and review its features. I have to say that i'm very impressed by the number of features it has, and the ease at which you can enable things. We now have the total security suite running at all our sites, as well as TDR additions and havnet looked back.

What do you dislike?

The devices we have come with a single PSU and no option to upgrade, seems you have to splash out a fair whack more to get that addition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Enable all the features and dont be afraid to talk to their tech support when setting it up to ensure you get the firewall rules "just right"

This is our perimieter defenence, web filtering, AV scanning, DLP, malware, APT and ransomeware protection (basically everything)

What Firewall solution do you use?

WatchGuard review by Sean M.
Sean M.

"Robust protection, easy to deploy "

What do you like best?

The WatchGuard System Manager provides an easy to use interface that makes it a breeze to understand the configuration of the device.

What do you dislike?

Unable to connect with the Watchguard System Manager with the admin/config credential, you have to use the status/readonly account to initially connect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since learning to work with watchguard products I dread working with any other firewalls, Sonicwall, CIsco ASA and Fortigaurd/Fortigate have complicated interfaces that make you dig through multiple tabs to configure simple rules, the Watchguard System Manager is almost too easy to use.

Watchguard allows us to secure the networks of our clients while permitting for easy and safe communication. The SSL VPN client makes it simple to allow remote users to connect to network resources without opening them up to attack

WatchGuard review by Gerald W.
Gerald W.

"Over four years managing WatchGuard products"

What do you like best?

The feature set is very robust and versatile. There are multiple options for software and addon upgrades to achieve the level of security your business is looking for.

What do you dislike?

It was a difficult transition to WatchGuard when my only prior experience had been using Cisco devices. I do think placement of certain components and features could be better designed and implemented. I also don't find the traffic management very easy to read and understand.

We use WatchGuard Fireboxes at 4 offices. It creates an easy setup for VPN and has allowed for granular control of of the firewall policies at each office.

WatchGuard review by Gregory K.
Gregory K.

"Easy to use VPN application"

What do you like best?

Watch Guard provides a simple and easy to use interface to connect to a VPN. Watch Guard can save your VPN information for easy feature access. The automatic updating process is also very helpful. Each time there is a new version Watch Guard will prompt the user to download and install the latest version

What do you dislike?

Sometimes that VPN connection seems to be interrupted and the session drops. It's pretty easy to reconnect though

We need to remote into our customers servers all around the country. Watch Guard helps us connect to them with minimal effort

WatchGuard review by User

"Very Helpful Program"

What do you like best?

I really like that it is a secure portal that has many options and will allow for working remotely. It allows me to access my desktop and several other work functions remotely instead of needing to be in the office. It is a secure connection that works with the security systems set up internally which safeguards the information.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback that I would indicate is that it seems to only work well on internet explorer. I would like to see the interface be compatible with Google Chrome and or Firefox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this is a great product with multi-level security that would be an asset to any company with remote workers.

It is not necessarily a problem, however it does provide a solution for working from home. It helps for those who need to be out of the office for family reasons or traveling purposes. The benefits of allowing remote work is that more can be accomplished even if someone is not able to make it into the office.

WatchGuard review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"Robust, Fully Featured and Easy to Manage"

What do you like best?

One of the keys to good security is visibility. Watchguard provides a wealth of well designed tools that give you a clear picture into your first line of defense.

The Firewall itself has a range of security options and security layers that can be implemented and adjusted according to your environment.

The policies are easy to set up and manage, and Watchguard's online documentation is outstanding.

For the most part the support is well trained and helpful, I haven't had any major support problems in the 6 years I've been a customer

What do you dislike?

If you submit a support case online, sometimes it can take 24-48 hrs before it gets picked up. I've had good sucess submitting a case online, then calling a few hours later if it hasn't been assigned to a tech.

The licensing process is a bit of a chore, but it's not a huge problem since it's only done annually at most.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a number of other players out there that offer comparable products. The key is what tools does that vendor offer that allows me to gain a clear understanding of what my perimeter defenses are doing. I feel that Watchguard offers a wealth of excellent tools that are well documented and supported.

Our perimeter is secure, and I feel like I have a good picture into my network traffic.

WatchGuard review by Kevin M.
Kevin M.

"Deployed and Maintain WatchGuard Firewalls"

What do you like best?

They are very robust in feature set. Web Blocker uses Websense, the IPS is great and APT is a bonus add. There tech support is some of the best I have worked with, quick response and incredibly helpful. There Dimension log manager is a great way to easily and quickly visualize what is going on with your network. The firewall is different then a Cisco ASA in that it does proxy connections for certain protocols, which means higher level of packet inspection

What do you dislike?

The management is clunky sometimes and dis-jointed. If you have 2 or more admins care must be taken so that you are both not editing the firewall at the same time. Nothing else really bad to says about them, overall good experience

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great solid product, I believe it to be one of the best on the market in terms of what you pay for and what you get.

Firewall security for our networks. We have gotten good visibility into network. Have seen a ton of attacks stopped at the firewall

WatchGuard review by Flavio S.
Flavio S.

"Next-Generation Firewall is the true application firewall"

What do you like best?

for those who do not know watchguard firewall it is very similar to the firewall checkpoint, with the advantage of having the same quality but at a lower price.

It offers all the essential functions for maintaining high levels of network security. It offers good service of intrusion Prevention Service. It has a huge library of rules that make it easy IPS configuration.

What do you dislike?

installing the console management It may not be easy . We have to work hard on the device to understand all its functions. Log management would prefer to be set differently. Sometimes I can not find what I want

Recommendations to others considering the product

watchguard is on the market for many years. has greatly improved, the price is great and performance are superior of the other brands. Policy management is clear, you can quickly make complex policy. I recommend this firewall

with this device I have solved many problems. It protects very well against attacks. I managed to block all DDOS attacks from the Internet. The customer who in the past had problems, now has completely solved with this device

WatchGuard review by Alex S.
Alex S.

"WatchGuard Review"

What do you like best?

One of the best firewall's I've used to monitor Web Traffic. Easy to use interface and a lot of different policies. Web Policies are easy to implement

What do you dislike?

Set up isn't that easy. All networks are set up differently. If you have a site to site VPN and you place WatchGuard in between you can get a lot of errors and actually degrade your bandwidth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For monitoring and protecting users browsing the web on your network this hardware along with the software to manage it is in top 3 for firewalling your traffic

Being able to prevent users from accessing certain sites especially social media. Also protect users from not being exposed to RANSOMWARE. This was one of the best tools for us to prevent from being exposed.

WatchGuard review by Kevin Z.
Kevin Z.

"I have 14+ years of experience using WatchGuard"

What do you like best?

Easy to configure/install & manage. It's a great appliance to protect your networks.

What do you dislike?

You can use the Watchguard System Manage or the web browser to configure the boxes. When you make a change with the web browser it takes affect immediately. With the WSM you can make a bunch of changes and save them at once.

We have benefited from using Watchguard products because we can connect our main office to all of our clients and access there networks easily.

WatchGuard review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Well-featured NGFW - excellent value, easy to use management tools"

What do you like best?

Host of features - can replace end-to-end VPN devices, routers, IPS/IDS devices, email gateways and web proxies.

Pricing is excellent especially if trading in towards a multi-year bundle.

What do you dislike?

Some of the logging options can be a bit tedious to figure out.

Single year renewals can be pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely look into the Dimension reporting tool. Well worth it.

Inquire into the competitive upgrade pricing, as well as multi-year subscription pricing.

We were able to consolidate quite a bit of hardware into one device,and standardize on branch offices with similar policies with centralized monitoring.

WatchGuard review by Benjamin S.
Benjamin S.

"Watchguard Firewalls"

What do you like best?

Watchguard provides quality firewalls that are easy to manage and has a variety of hardware to suit every price point.

What do you dislike?

The Watchguard Management suite has numerous revisions that are still out in the wild and each revision can only interface with a limited number of devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep at least the three most recent revisions of the management tool around

Traffic management and shaping, port control, VPN implementation

WatchGuard review by Aaron T.
Aaron T.

"Occasional use for Customer VPN access"

What do you like best?

WatchGuard is one of many VPN software i use to access customers sites. The install and use is simple.

What do you dislike?

Oftentimes i am required to update the configuration/update the software which makes quick access difficult. I do lose connectivity once in awhile.

VPN access to troubleshoot server issues.

WatchGuard review by User in Computer Software

"WatchGuard Mobile VPN is a good client for seamless connectivity"

What do you like best?

I like that I can connect to my customers using the Mobile VPN client and work the same way I could if I were sitting at their site. The speed and reliability of the VPN are top notch.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found any dislikes about the software. It works well every time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

WatchGuard is easy to install and just works. I haven't had any issue with it.

I am able to connect to my client in another state and work remotely with no discernible degradation in performance. The VPN does not interfere with my local network or internet connectivity, and it works well simultaneously with other VPN connections.

WatchGuard review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"WatchGuard Mobile VPN"

What do you like best?

Simple and easy to use, allows me to access our corporate server anywhere I have wifi.

What do you dislike?

Connection can be slow sometimes, and requires tech support help for users to set up access to specific drives.

Working remotely, allows access to documents and programs on the go.

WatchGuard review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"A Must Have For Any Small Company's Internet Needs"

What do you like best?

WatchGuard is like having an extra employee in house making sure that our company's Internet needs are secured. I cannot say it enough how great this product has been for us.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to say that's negative about WatchGuard as it has been consistently a great product for me and my company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give WatchGuard a chance because this product has been nothing but a blessing for my company. Worth every penny!

WatchGuard is ensuring that our server is secure and that our online usage doesn't fall victim to hackers.

WatchGuard review by Consultant in Computer Networking
Consultant in Computer Networking

"Solid Performance, Great Featureset"

What do you like best?

Flexible configuration, Relatively easy setup.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes finicky to get config duplicated across multiple devices or replacement devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make backups of your config, not the image of the entire OS... That burned us one or 2 times.

Internet Access, VPN, Security

WatchGuard review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Excellent Products"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, manageability, feature set, and overall product quality

What do you dislike?

Support, while good, is less than attentive. WG seems to have addressed these issues in recent with the ability to purchase higher tier support. Kudos

Faster deployment/configuration of products allows us to focus on things outside of the infrastructure.

WatchGuard review by Vincent C.
Vincent C.

"Best firewall for the money"

What do you like best?

Robust firewall for the SMB market. Also love the wireless AP's.

What do you dislike?

that some of the great features are only in a subscription format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If using any of the subscription services always buy up to the next model box.

Security for SMB clients.

WatchGuard review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Love these little red boxes"

What do you like best?

Watchguard firewalls have been very stable over the many years that I have used them. They are easy to setup and have many ways to manage them.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike they make the product easy to use.

Firewall and security

WatchGuard review by Jason H.
Jason H.

"XTM Pro all the way"

What do you like best?

For the price range I really like the watchguard with XTM Pro. We are able to do multi-wan with load balancing. This now gives us the ability to not be reliant on AT&T which can be flakey in our area.

What do you dislike?

VPN can be a little sketchy and slow sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A lot of the time they are doing promotions where you can get the appliance for free for upgrading any other firewall.

Learning about WatchGuard?

* We monitor all WatchGuard reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.