Wave

(145 reviews)

The world's fastest growing small business accounting software.

Work for Wave?

Learning about Wave?

Wave Reviews

Showing 147 Wave reviews
Wave review by Mario D.
Mario D.

"An Invoice And Estimate App Small Business Must Be Using"

What do you like best?

Wave is an invoice, estimate and accounting software in the cloud. I like that this app has all you need in order to manage your small business in terms of accounting.

We are a small web design company in Colombia. At this moment we mainly use the app for create estimates and invoices, but in the future we are planning to start using the accounting part.

Although the software is focus on English language users, the app allows you to translate some terms to Spanish, as it is our case, because we are in Colombia.

One thing most small business users value is that this software is free, completely free for all users, with no limits in amount of invoices and estimates. Very cool. Wave wins money because they charge a small fee when you accept payments online.

What do you dislike?

Although the software allows you to translate terms to Spanish, it is no possible to translate all the terms. Terms like "Bill To", "Invoice Number", "Invoice Date", "Payment Due" and others are no allowed to translate to Spanish, so our estimates and invoices go that way. No so cool.

Other thing we don't like is that the app has very limited capabilities in order to customize invoices and estimates.templates. There are three templates and no more. No styling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolute positive. If you need to create estimates and invoices for your small business, then use Wave.

If you as a small business owner need to create estimates and invoices (who don't) for you products and services, and need a small accounting software, then Wave is the tool to use.

Before Wave we were using Invoice Ninja and others, but, without a doubt, Wave is the best tool, because its features and cost (free).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Wave
Wave review by Corey D.
Corey D.

"Great for small business"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can set up recurring invoices for my monthly clients, and that the invoices ship out on the correct day ensuring that I get paid in a timely manner. I also enjoy the monthly expenditure tracking that is included in this web app.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the history for a specific client is difficult to target, especially when someone wants to see their yearly expenses with me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great accounting application (AND it works with the Station app!!) for small business. It is very flexible until you link a bank account that is not your primary account for business income and expenses. I would definitely only link it to your business account, and not one that is used for other purposes. I had to reset mine this year because it got a little confused between my personal and business accounts. I'm certain it was operator error, and I did not utilize their help feature before that. Aside from that, Wave has been working flawlessly, and I do recommend it for small business.

I primarily use Wave for all of my small contracts for design work, and all of my larger monthly retainers. Giving my clients an option to view their invoices and make payments online is a serious bonus. Also, keeping track of expenses vs. income is an important part of running a small business. Wave has not let me down yet!

What Small-Business Accounting solution do you use?

Wave review by Josh L.
Josh L.

"Wave is an amazing service for businesses on a budget"

What do you like best?

A lot of product for the cost (free for everything except processing transactions), the ability to access wave from anywhere rather than a local program is extremely convenient, beautiful and customizable invoice templates, payroll is super simple to set up and use, email reminders for invoices and estimates are easy to set up and use, Wave support was fast with little to no wait time, managing customers data is far less confusing than doing it yourself or adding them to your personal contacts, payment page for customers is easy to understand with only the basic info shown, personal payment page for each customer and invoice makes it easy and professional to send payment link to customers

What do you dislike?

Sometimes managing your books the UI can become unintuitive and unresponsive, the inability to add or mark a transaction as personal or business can become extremely frustrating, more options to customize your invoices would be nice (specific object colours, layouts etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that the product is free and how much money you are saving on a monthly basis.

Creating and sending ending invoices now takes 1/4 of the time with Wave compared to using Excel, Tax time will go much faster as all of our transactions are automatically organized,

Wave review by Kelly M.
Kelly M.

"Everything I need for my small business accounting- and more!"

What do you like best?

Wave is a comprehensive accounting app that is easy to use, has great features, and is most importantly- completely free! It is all online, so it allows me to access my account anywhere from any device, which is very helpful when I am travelling or when I forget to bring my laptop to work. I have previously used QuickBooks Small Business, and Wave is completely comparable in my opinion- except for the monthly subscription fee! It allows me to run multiple kinds of reports, integrate with my bank and credit card accounts, and reconcile all expenses and income seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that Wave doesn't have a comprehensive mobile app available, at least for Android. Wave does have supplementary apps, like an app that allows you to upload and categorize receipts, which then integrate into the main Wave interface. However, it would be great if there was an app that allowed for more on-the-go accounting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! I have no complaints!

I am able to easily reconcile my business accounts any time, anywhere. I can also quickly run reports to help with my financial planning. My accountant also loves Wave and has no preference between it and Quickbooks for everything that she needs to use it for!

Wave review by Jennifer H.
Jennifer H.

"I can save customer profiles and they can save their payment info for auto billing."

What do you like best?

I love that I am able to save customers profiles and their billing information for easier future services. It is the little things like that help speed up processing time for customers. Every little bit helps. I like that it shows the invoices that are overdue separately making it easier to keep track of.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Wave. I love using it. Very user friendly.

I love that it keeps track of overdue payments. I also love that it keeps track of when the last time an invoice was sent and the last time a reminder was sent as well. That is another thing I love. I like that you are able to easily send reminders to customers for over payments. Keeping track of receipts is easier thanks to wave.

Wave review by Sandeep K.
Sandeep K.

"Best (Free) hosted software for invoicing and account "

What do you like best?

Simple invoicing for small businesses and its hosted so it seeks the ease of small businesses for developing a invoice software and hosting that. its quite simple and easy to use for a normal employee with sort-cut popups.

What do you dislike?

Employee payroll is not available in indian currency. Also most of the things can not be deleted, like configured taxes ( It may be because of dependency ) as tax configurations been used for existing invoices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If need is accounting software you can go with wave it gives good customization options for startups.

I remember wave got started as a invoicing software and we have started just for invoicing and now its a accounting software. We are now using for invoicing and tracking records of payments. It solved a problem of developing a software and managing all taking care by wave.

Wave review by Katie T.
Katie T.

"Wave Apps is the most important service I use for my business"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Wave is that you can see at a glance how your business is doing, and compare it to last year. I've tried other accounting software and they don't come close to the information Wave gives you.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I don't like about Wave. It checks all the boxes I need to run my business AND it has features I don't need yet but will as my business grows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is literally no downside to trying Wave, it's 100% free to use all the features, no trial, no tiered packages. Their paid version is exactly the same, except you get priority support. You can also pay for a Payroll service for $24/month, which I think is more than fair. Wave has transformed my business and I look even more professional because of their billing options. I can set my clients up with any type of billing schedule they like just like a larger company could and it's all automated!

The major problem I'm solving is having my books organized for FREE. Not only is it accounting software, the invoicing is amazing. I no longer need an invoicing software and an accounting software.

Wave review by Karen H.
Karen H.

"Great for new and experienced businesses"

What do you like best?

I like that Wave doesn't have overwhelming reporting and editing features. A lot of the times when you log into accounting programs it can seem overwhelming. Not with Wave, it's pretty easy with a little bit of help from some tutorials. I also like that I can send invoices and utilize the ACH feature which makes getting paid easy. Bonus points also to the new rebrand!

What do you dislike?

Honestly nothing I love that its free! Definitely think its worth a try!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check it out you can start an account for free and test it out with your business. They even offer payroll options.

Getting my finances in order especially when I use multiple accounts its easy to tag and write notes inside of Wave for each transaction!

Wave review by Kristine N.
Kristine N.

"Free bookkeeping for freelancers"

What do you like best?

I love that this app is free! If you want to receive payments through the app there is a fee, but for keeping track of income and expenses, it's free, which is all I need as a small freelancer.

What do you dislike?

Uploading a receipt takes a long time to process (like I've always given up on waiting and the next time I come back it's finally there). And I can't edit/enter any of the receipt into until it's done processing. So that's annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're just starting out or have a small operation, this is a good starting place!

The software I was using to track my expenses before was on a hard disk download, but I didn't buy an upgrade every year and the last time I updated my computer, the software started crashing on me. So I needed to either upgrade or switch to something else. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in tracking my expenses, but wanted something that would keep track and save time with sending invoices. Wave seems to be doing both.

Wave review by Jessica F.
Jessica F.

"Overall good free product"

What do you like best?

The price tag can't be beat. You only pay to process payments or payroll. If you don't need either service it's 100% free to use. It has all of the basic features that a freelance or a small service-based business needs. You are able to have multiple companies and unlimited collaborators. The product is constantly being improved as I see offers to beta test new features and have benefited from several new features released during the years that I have been using it.

What do you dislike?

Upselling advertising that you can't get rid off, while it's unobtrusive and they have to make money somehow, I wish that I could hide it after a while. Customer support is very friendly and usually useful but only available via e-mail or chat so if you have an urgent concern there is no phone number to call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You don't lose anything by trying it. Cost for payment processing and payroll is competitive, everything else is free. If you need inventory tracking, purchase orders, credit memos or class tracking, this isn't the product for you.

I used it when my business first started and I didn't have the funds for a paid service, I was so pleased with it that I kept using over the years and have helped clients implement it. Invoicing is easy, aesthetic and online payments are great and low-cost. It's very easy to configure recurring invoices and automatic payements.

Wave review by Ian S.
Ian S.

"There Are Probably Better Options Out There, But This Is Free"

What do you like best?

I like the recurring invoices best, but even this could be improved. I have to wait for Wave's set time to see them reoccur instead of immediately after midnight on the date they are to recur.

What do you dislike?

I absolutely detest that if a customer overpays an invoice, it doesn't really keep track automatically and apply the overpayment to the next invoice that the customer receives.

There are workarounds for some things, but these are not always very handy. I also do not like that it is difficult to create your own accounts, for example, a separate "Gas" and "Electricity" expense account. There are some ways to create new accounts, but it's awkward, in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you might like it. I like that it is free. But there are probably better options out there.

I use Linux for my desktop, and unfortunately, there are not a lot of accounting/book keeping applications for Linux. There is one that I used to use and really liked called Quasar, but unfortunately it won't run on some newer distributions. So Wave solves that problem for me in that I can continue to use Linux and have some of the features I want in an accounting app.

Wave review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"The best and easiest accounting and invoice tool ever"

What do you like best?

This tool has made it possible to operate very efficiently when managing my accounting and invoicing needs. I can login via Google Auth and link bank accounts (inluding Paypal & others) to import transactions. All I have to do is go in periodically and label the transactions (expenses/income etc..) and it will perform reporting for me. My quarterly sales tax and annual taxes are a breeze. Also, I use this to invoice customers & when they pay - it imports those income deposits so it's all centralized. I can save customer profiles and they can save their payment info for auto billing. Customer service is very responsive to all inquiries. They also have a payroll service available.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I wish I could do is null out the remaining balances on partially paid invoices without deleting the invoices if I choose to waive the remaining balance. Also - this is not a dislike but rather a feature wish - it would be magical if it integrated with more productivity tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an all-in-one solution. I highly recommend to others looking for something for their business.

I am able to have a centralized place for my accounting and invoicing that didn't take an arduous set up time. It was very user intuitive and make corrections as I go along and learn more about accounting best practices.

Wave review by Katherine M.
Katherine M.

"Awesome for small businesses - and free!"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity and ease of use. The online platform is easy to navigate, and provides all the features that small business owners need such as client contact management, invoicing, payments, and more. You can connect to your email (to import contacts) and to your bank account as well (for automatic reconciliation and identifying type of purchase). Best of all - it's free!

What do you dislike?

Wave previously did not have a feature that was conducive to typing purchase orders. However, just within the past week alone Wave issued multiple updates and upgraded from their original platform. They now allow for a PO number to be entered on an invoice, however I don't believe this program is as intuitive if you needed to type POs as a large part of your business. I also am currently not sure what accountants think about this program (my accountant recommended Quickbooks) and how they will be able to navigate and pull the information needed for filing taxes. I also dislike how sometimes payments are recorded twice (by marking a payment on an invoice, and by having a bank deposit) - you have to manually go through and delete your bank deposit which can be cumbersome and confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! You really don't have anything to lose and may prove to be exactly what a small business owner needs without having to pay big dollars for fancy book keeping software.

I am much more organized and able to easily track status of payments and invoices out to customers. I can even set automatic recurring reminders and receipts - which saves so much time! Clients can pay outside of the software, but there also are options to pay via credit card (2.9% fee - which is better than Square's rate I believe), or bank transfer (1% fee). I realized that this software is perfect for small businesses and SO awesome that it's free. I'm going to continue utilizing this program until (and if) my business ever outgrows it.

Wave review by Yasmin V.
Yasmin V.

"Free and convenient"

What do you like best?

I like the invoice feature the best. I first got the software to send clean invoices for payment as my other project management software charged me more for more invoices.

What do you dislike?

I'm still trying to figure out the bookkeeping section. It's not as clean cut as other providers I have used so I'm hoping to utilize it more to have all my bookkeeping in one place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since small businesses are their primary focus I think they should add more features for freelancers. It would be great to use it as a tool to project my taxes for the quarter. I pay for Quickbooks for this but would definitely switch to Wave for this.

I am trying to solve issues with invoicing. I want to not have to pay to manage my finances and my client's payments so this has definitely helped me with that. A benefit I have realized is accepting online payments straight through the system. I just use this for smaller projects because I don't want to pay more fees. I'm really excited about their new auto payment feature as well so I hope I can use that soon.

Wave review by Lukas S.
Lukas S.

"RIding the Wave"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use Wave Accounting. Even though I have a background in Accounting this product is easy to use for someone without much accounting knowledge. It is very easy to add a bank so that your financial data is synced with Wave.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I haven't found anything that I dislike about Wave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a cost effective way to get your accounting done then this product is it. It is very easy to use and get paid using their invoice service. It is a great product plus you can download the invoicing app to your phone to track payments.

It allows us to track revenue and expense easily. We can also send an invoice with ease to customers.

Wave review by Torrey H.
Torrey H.

"A MUST HAVE"

What do you like best?

Wave allows me to keep track of my entire 'business'. I can send invoices, accept payment, know my financial status and so much more at the click of a mouse. I can connect and see what's happening with all my accounts. I honestly couldn't do without it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't discovered anything I don't really like yet. So far everything it does works for me. I will see how that goes once my work picks up more though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whether you're just getting started or already in the know, consider utilizing Wave. As a freelancer or Independent Contractor you need to be on top of your money at all times, and Wave enables you to do just that. Don't miss out trying other products. I did, and they didn't work like I needed.

It solves the problem of having to use many different methods, apps, software, programs to keep up with my business.

Wave review by Sanjit M.
Sanjit M.

"A very easy to use accounting software; and it's FREE! :)"

What do you like best?

Not having to pay a monthly charge for accounting software has been great. I switched from QuickBooks Online after I learned for what I needed Wave did just that and better. It's ease of use was not matched by QuickBooks online. Also, it can take credit cards w/o the monthly fees like QuickBooks.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this time. They have evolved over the years and I love it. They have a service line for phone calls, you an turn it on and off when you need it, it is great. I used it for 2 calls and i was well worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work in ETF, that would be huge to help keep costs down. :)

Looking for an inexpensive accounting software to bill clients, creating reoccurring invoices, and also taking credit cards.

Wave review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Just started, but it looks good!"

What do you like best?

What I like about Wave most is that it is free and you can *actually* use the free version. If I end up sticking with it now, I'll definitely support Wave in the future. But it is so nice to see a free product that is actually usable and not so bogged down with constant pop-up advertisements to upgrade to the paid version.

Also, the design is simple and functional. The first time I looked at Quickbooks I was totally overwhelmed, but Wave almost looks like any other financial platform I use.

What do you dislike?

I think it would be nice if there were more resources on how to set up a bookkeeping system. If you're not yet paying a bookkeeper it is probably because you're just starting your first business, which means you don't know much yet. Just a walk through of basic principles and how they're realized in Wave would be nice.

Before wave I was using a pretty complicated system of Excel sheets; Wave simplifies and unifies everything.

Wave review by Brittani H.
Brittani H.

"Great system for any company!"

What do you like best?

Wave is so easy to use and best of all it is free to use. I can track my invoices, payments, payroll etc. Invoices can be customized to your liking and you can get paid with a debit card or bank account with a low processing fee. The best thing that ever happens to my company.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to customize your account to fit your needs and there is a lot of verification when it comes to payroll. But it is all worth it in the end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Wave to anyone who handles all finances on your own. It is easy to use and takes minutes to get paid.

The problems I am solving with Wave is my payment processor. Before using Wave I sent invoices manually and the entire process was a long one for my clients. Now that I am using Wave I close more deals and my clients are happy.

Wave review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Great product for early companies! "

What do you like best?

The simple nature of this program makes accounting almost enjoyable. The best part about this product is the fact that you can pretty much do almost anything with it in a simple and fast way. From basic book keeping to setting up your payroll, it can do it all. That is what I love most about this product. It is also very user friendly so almost anyone, even someone who is not tech savy should be able to use it with no issues.

What do you dislike?

There is not much not to like about this product other than the task itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely use this product especially if you are new to accounting.

I had to set up accounting software to keep track of expenses and revenue for a couple businesses.

Wave review by Jessica A.
Jessica A.

"Horrible customer service and support"

What do you like best?

The system was easy to learn and intuitive. It was all going great until I needed customer support after ALL of the information I had been inputting for days was inaccessible. Support never contacted me after an initial basic email. They ignored my requests for help for days.

What do you dislike?

Horrible customer support. I spent days inputting information - was bumped out of the system - went to sign back in and it wouldn't recognize me - when I was able to sign back in all of my info was lost - every. single. piece.

I contacted customer support and they told me to reset my password (which I did) and have completely ignored me since. I've contacted them at least 4 additional times requesting some support and help.

I've wasted at least 40 man hours on inputting and then losing and then trying to regain the info. I also have had to re-do everything in another program. I also wasted a bunch of money meeting with my accountant because the program lost my information. Beyond frustrating.

I couldn't trust this product or recommend this product after my experience. I don't think I've ever received such horrible support for a product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid this product. You risk losing all of your hard work. If you need help, they will ignore you.

tracking expenses and accounting.

Wave review by Brittani W.
Brittani W.

"I like it "

What do you like best?

This is a FREE bookkepping tool. I use this and quick books depending on my clients needs and I like the ease of it. Customer Service is also good.

What do you dislike?

It was not very user friendly in the beginning it did take some time to get use to it. Once you figure it out, its pretty good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be Patient, watch a few tutorials if you need to. Once you learn it, its easy to use.

It saves money this is a good tool to use especially if you are just getting started in your business.

Wave review by Lindsay F.
Lindsay F.

"Awesome free bookkeeping"

What do you like best?

For a free service, the application was very professional-looking, feature dense, and easy to use. I was grateful to find this when first starting out my business, and didn't have a lot of capital to invest in setting up my administrative structure. I really like the design, and the color-coded ability to see which invoices have been paid / sent / unpaid. It is so easy, and took me hardly any time to set it up and get use to using it.

What do you dislike?

I ultimately stopped using Wave because I wanted to save myself time by combining multiple features within my invoicing system – the ability to sign contracts, create proposals, manage incoming leads, etc. But there is actually a lot I miss about Wave now, because it's so good at the one service it does provide!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is great for keeping your business finances organized.

Wave helped my business look more professional by having a consistent invoicing system, and the ability to accept credit card payments by emailing a client. Wave really helped me when it came around to tax time with the "Reports" feature – I could just go into the financial reporting, categorized my business expenses, and make sure all the totals were accurate with what I put on my taxes.

Wave review by Andrea M.
Andrea M.

"Free and easy to use."

What do you like best?

I like that it is free yet still customizable. I have not found another program that allows me to customize the categorization options. I also like that I am now able to connect my bank account.

What do you dislike?

Before I could connect my bank account it was pretty tedious. There have also been some improvements in the amount of time it took to transition between entries. It used to take several seconds to save a new entry and move on to the next.

Use it to categorize and track expenses.

Wave review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Simplest system to keep track of expenses"

What do you like best?

Ease of use; the general ledger of adding expenses/income. Provides you with a breakdown of what type of expenses are available as well as allowing you to create your own. Can take expenses off of cash on hand value! Many reports available to help you get a better idea of where your expenses lie. I have yet to use the Payroll feature as we have no employees; but the ease of use is what turned me on the most to this program. The fact that this program is of zero cost also aided in me choosing this over similar programs on the market.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike- using this program is so simple. I did not even have to follow any type of tutorial and was able to figure it out on my own in about ten minutes. The navigation pain is self explanatory and the number of features available surpasses any other system I have used (concur, Quickbooks, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love using this program- I find it a lot easier to navigate than Quickbooks!

Wave accounting has allowed me to better track my business expenses for both of my LLCs. I use the transactions tool bar to allocate expenses for each of my LLcs which allows me to breakdown for my accountant where/what I am spending the most money on.

Wave review by Caryn P.
Caryn P.

"A great, free solution for accounting"

What do you like best?

I'm a fan of "cloud accounting" for the convenience, and the Wave app offers this solution as well as a 'Receipts' app that really helps with logging expenses on the go. Most importantly, there's no price tag to use this solution so it's easy to overlook any of the cons for the most important reason. Free is the best pro of all!

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, there is no option for time tracking. I fell in love with Wave after using it to set up my second business, and was hoping to move my first business over from Freshbooks (to save $30/month) but it just wasn't as intuitive or easy to set up for a freelance services business. Like most other accounting solutions, it's much easier to set up for a "physical product" type business and, again, it's free so I can't complain... but I do wish it would offer more of the same benefits available with Freshbooks for a service provider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free so it doesn't cost anything to set up and see how 'it feels' for you.

Simple accounting. Best benefit is that it's free and somewhat easy to set up, for certain business models.

Wave review by User

"Great for the Cash Strapped Start Up"

What do you like best?

The interface is very intuitive. It's easy for a new entrepreneur to keep their books and process payments while sticking to a budget. It's free to begin, with no monthly expenses beyond just my credit card processing fees.

What do you dislike?

I wish I was able to tweak the overdue invoice follow-up emails a little more. The graphics in each email are unchangeable as far as I can tell. It would also be nice if less emphasis was placed on clients to make their payment via credit card, but it makes sense that it's the only way Wave makes money.

I'm able to keep accurate books as a sole proprietor. I'm also able to show a professional face to clients with their easy invoicing feature and credit card processing.

Wave review by Aaron F.
Aaron F.

"Excellent Website for Small Business Accounting "

What do you like best?

Wave is free! It allows me to create professional invoices for my business and keep track of who has paid and who I still need to collect from. Wave makes tax time much easier for me because I can find all my business related income and expenses in one easy to use place. They also feature recurring invoices which is very beneficial to me as I no longer have to keep track of remembering and sending them myself.

What do you dislike?

I did not find the ability to manage transactions and categorize them as personal or business to be very useful. I generally don't have many expenses for my business so others may find more benefit from this feature than I did.

Wave allows me to easily send invoices to my customers. They allow complete customization and look very professional. You can easily track when the invoice was sent and send reminders as needed. I also like the fact that this product is fully online so I can access from anywhere.

Wave review by Derek W.
Derek W.

"Intuitive, easy to navigate, and free!"

What do you like best?

Wave is really easy to use and set up. The learning curve to familiarize myself with the software was really short; I was comfortable with it after a few hours. The companion apps - Wave Receipts and Wave Invoices - are really useful. I have a partner (non-business), and all she has to do is take a picture of any receipts with the app... and I can do the rest.

Also, it's FREE. You just pay for payment processing and payroll. Have the ability to invoice and take payments within one application is very useful.

What do you dislike?

The Receipt app is a touch glitchy from time-to-time. And a lot of the times the picture-to-text is not accurate.

The software is usually quite good, although sometimes I've had to verify Transactions multiple times before they get recorded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a simple business (small or no payroll, non-complex transactions), I would definitely check this out before paying for anything else! The Receipt App is especially awesome!

I didn't want to take on a more complex Accounting software like Quickbooks or Simply... we're a very small operation and it just didn't make sense to spend a bunch on software for features we didn't need. Wave is great... I only have to spend maybe 1 hour a month to keep on top of things.

Wave review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Even though the services are mostly free, it's provides quality"

What do you like best?

I like how you can choose the option to send payment reminders when you're sending invoices to clients or customers. For the most part, I send my invoices a week in advance, and they still forget. Once I started sending reminders, I started getting paid on time or early. That is probably one of my favorite features!

What do you dislike?

I don't like the 1% service fee for ACH/bank payments. If I know someone is going to be paying with an electronic (and I know they're going to pay on time), I send an invoice through Quickbooks instead, since they don't charge a processing fee for ACH payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a cheaper option to maintain your books, send invoices, & receive payments, you should definitely consider this option.

I can save time when working on my books, especially if I have connected my checking and credit card accounts. I also am improving how long it takes client invoices to be paid with those payment reminders before they're due and overdue reminders.

Wave review by Amy T.
Amy T.

"Wave -- Perfect for the Eager Entrepreneur"

What do you like best?

Wave has a clean interface that is easy to navigate and visually pleasing as well. I especially like that you are able to use one program for *multiple* businesses, in addition to personal records. This is great because you can switch between businesses with a simple click instead of having to run multiple programs or log in and out of various accounts. I have recommended this product to several friends because it's been such a great tool.

What do you dislike?

I am actually really pleased with this product, so it is hard to think of what needs to be changed. I haven't used the payroll or billing features so I can't comment on that. It would be extremely helpful if Wave included tax forms or at least helped you with that process, like QuickBooks does. It would also be helpful to have a budgeting feature that would help organize and analyze business/personal expenses. But I haven't experienced problems with all of the features that Wave already includes!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wave is great for entrepreneurs who would like to use ONE program to organize both their personal and business (even multiple business) budgets and accounts.

It was difficult to use gmail, PayPal, GoodBudget, and several other spreadsheets to organize customer invoices. Now, I can send an invoice over Wave and even set up reminders so that customers are notified a few days before/after the invoice due date. This has streamlined the invoicing process tremendously!

Wave review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"The best free accounting software out there!"

What do you like best?

I like the ease-of-use, the price point, the support, the trial opportunities that are made available by the software company. As a small business owner, it's wonderful to be able to do all my accounting with a free software and grow my knowledge of accounting while doing so

What do you dislike?

And does take time to learn how to use the system, so there is a lot of trial and error, but that's generally the name of the game with any new software. I do think that it's' as intuitive as it can be for someone unfamiliar with accounting, but you kind of have to come in with that prior knowledge

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely recommend wave for those with a small business or they'll want to just begin doing it their own personal accounting. It's possible for you to have a personal account as well as a business account side-by-side on your user interface, which is super helpful

I don't have to hire an accountant! If I do have problems, I can always search their FAQs and help page. The software is easy to use as well, so if I wanted to go to a company like Upwork and find an accountant, I could easily give them access to my account to help me in whatever way needed

Wave review by Krystal H.
Krystal H.

"In Need of a Walk-thru "

What do you like best?

I love that is is so easy to switch over without using a hard data system to process information. A simple login to the system you already have and they have most of your information within a few hours or days. I love the overlay of the design and how easy it is to use.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack of understanding the system and how it works, I believe a walk-thru video would be best to have when beginning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have set up direct expenses and income lines correctly. It will manipulate them into the wrong directions if you are not careful.

Easy access when trying to find out what I have used, and not used in certain areas. Best benefits to this system is when you have to figure where all your expenses and assets are going and sometimes why.

Wave review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.

"I use this for two businesses and it helps me track my income and spending very well."

What do you like best?

I can integrate my bank accounts, upload receipts, and use a somewhat limited app version on my iPhone.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to complain about a free service, but the receipts don't always get scanned properly by the software, so there is some manual work that still needs to be done. I'm not sure if it's counting income twice based on my recording a payment and there being a deposit in my linked bank account.

Moreover, docs created in the program get assigned a random link to send to clients to access. I got a fun one, once, that had some interesting words. I'm not sure if it was random or if it was on purpose, but it would have been very embarrassing had I sent that to a client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to get to know the platform. Play around with things, and eventually, it will work as you'd like it to. It's a useful monitoring tool, though I still feel like I have a lot of manual work I do to ensure everything is correct.

Lastly, if your clients can pay you with a check, make that the only option or Wave will take a percentage of your sales for processing the payment for you. Sometimes, it means the difference between getting paid or not, so I opted for accepting credit card payments to ensure I got paid. I would have preferred to accept checks instead, as there is no associated fee (just time) to get that in the mail and deposit it.

Wave helps me stay organized. I can see what's outstanding when it comes to invoices, and I can see when I've sent a proposal so I can follow up on it later.

Wave review by User

"Free & Simple Accounting for Small Businesses / Solopreneurs"

What do you like best?

It's Free, has a mobile expense receipt capturing app, integrates well with bank and credit card to automatically import transactions and has basic accounting features most small businesses need for daily operations. Includes good set of reporting capabilities, including aged receivables and payables, account transactions, income statement etc. One can develop estimates and also setup recurring invoices which we use and is a huge time saver for us. Although it has paid options like invoices we dont use them since most our transactions are recurring and payable on a fixed date.

For expense receipt management you can use the mobile app or email your receipts and it automatically captures vendor name, amounts etc. We specially like this feature a lot.

The best part is its simplicity. Anyone without accounting knowledge can easily use Waveapps without much training or startup hassles.

What do you dislike?

It's Basic.

The site can be slow sometimes and even though it allows multiple users to access your business accounts , it has no audit trail of changes made and does not ask for confirmations or authorization before deleting records. The

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a solo entrepreneur or small business and need simple accounting software you do not need complicated software like Quickbooks etc. Plus having payroll and invoice payments features within the same suite of apps increase your productivity and make life easier.

We use Waveapps for our tutoring center and since our operation is fairly small, Wave has simplified our accounting. Specially the ability to Track Expenses, Invoices and reconcile with banks & credit card transactions has made life easier.

We do not utilize any of their paid services such as Payroll or Invoice Payments,

Wave review by Janine B.
Janine B.

"Fantastic invoicing solution for solopreneurs/coaches"

What do you like best?

How customisable the invoice template is, the many features for setting up taxes and pricing schedules, importing/interfacing with external CRM via Zapier, the integrated Stripe CC payment feature, and mulitple currencies option.

What do you dislike?

The reporting aspect is to focused on accounting. I tried integrating y bank accounts but it was just too difficult to do without getting properly trained (!! - I studied accounting yet was wanting to fast track my knowledge of the software).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a free and easy intuitive and professional invoicing solution, this is great (and I reviewed about 15!!)!

I am presenting a professional invoicing solution and seamless payment option to clients all over the world.

Wave review by Paul K.
Paul K.

"Meets Basic Business Needs in a Nice Clean Interface"

What do you like best?

Has the basic features that a good business needs. Interface is clean and clear. I like that it has the feature to verify transactions (aka like balancing your checkbook).

What do you dislike?

More search filters are needed. It would be nice to be able to find all transactions that match a specific payee or have a word in their name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Realize that it is a basic, free option that gives you a way to use good accounting practices without the complexity of high powered accounting software.

Helps me management the billing of projects to the right event. The big benefit is that this tool helps me stay on top of my billing needs and provides a great way to make sure I stay current with billing and paying bills. The way it forces you to balance is great.

Wave review by Erik Q.
Erik Q.

"A QuickBooks Alternative for FREE!"

What do you like best?

I love that a powerful, cloud- based piece of tech is free, unlike Quickbooks which is expensive to many small businesses. If you run a variety of other businesses you have the ability to create a new entity within the same Wave account. It allows you to choose the accounts related to your business such as main dashboard, transactions, receipts, accounting, reports, bill pay, integrations with almost every bank, and also allows you to track your investments. A big advantage is the ability to set your primary currency; so from the UAE dirham to the Zimbabwean dollar and every currency in between is possible with Wave.

What do you dislike?

My gripes about Wave are very minimal but not having integration with a variety of other software such as SquareUp. Wave does allow you to accept credit cards online for a fee but does not have a reader like SquareUp.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business who counts meticulously how cash is spent or are on a tight budget, Wave is for you.

The benefits I have realized are not having another expense which is paying for Quickbooks, yea they are the industry leader but Wave is a better alternative.

Wave review by Nick W.
Nick W.

"Amazing accounting and invoicing for small business"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that it is free to use. I am a small business and every penny counts. It is very robust. I use invoicing the most and love the ease of use in creating those as well as the recurring invoice capability.

What do you dislike?

A little better ability to sort items in the accounting portion and separating them out. There is not app for the Mac desktop. This would help manage things quicker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have basic accounting and invoicing set up for your business, then this is the tool for you. Simple to use and free of charge. It helps me keep track of all the stuff I am not well versed in.

I needed a good way to invoice clients and track the progress. Wave allows me to do that. I can see if someone viewed it or not to help determine if I need to send a reminder or not.

Wave review by Stacy N.
Stacy N.

"Review of Wave"

What do you like best?

The ease of creating invoices that are attractive for my clients. I can send them via email AND via PDF simultaneously, and save copies for myself if desired. I can see if my clients opened/reviewed their invoice, and tell how many days the invoice has been aging at a quick glance. By having my business credit card transactions imported automatically, I no longer miss entering deductible items because of a misplaced receipt.

What do you dislike?

I find after leaving Microsoft Money, the concept of debits and credits a bit confusing. There are occasionally duplicate entries in the automatic system that make things confusing (particularly when I connected my PayPal accounts).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to use the online FAQ and help tutorials to understand how all the debits/credits function together and how one affects the other.

I have been able to keep MUCH better track of my invoices to clients. I usually know when they've been able to receive / open them (so they can't say they didn't get an invoice). I can quickly see who has outstanding invoices, and I can provide clients with a statement sheet.

Wave review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Ideal for Small Business with Minimal to No Accounting Knowledge Necessary"

What do you like best?

Its extremely easy to signup and the included templates based on your type of business make it dead simple to get started. The interface is pleasing and includes basic functionality for small businesses (eg: Retail or Service oriented). Setup time is minutes and requires no prior accounting knowledge. Their Help Section has a great Getting Started Video series that's fairly good.

We use it for our small business including Invoicing, Accounting and Expenses and it's ideal. Even has a Expense Receipt capture app for phones.

Plus you cant beat Free.

What do you dislike?

It's designed for small businesses, but I would have liked a little bit more advanced functionality like Time Capture for employees.

Their reports are fairly basic without the ability to filter records online, so I tend to export data to spreadsheets and then filter them in Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for beginners and small businesses without prior accounting knowledge. Wave heading in the right direction by implementing some advanced functionality ie: recurring billing so I am very optimistic. Ease of Use and Free makes it way better than other accounting software on the market.

We were looking for a real low cost Invoicing and Expense management solution where we could keep track of Invoices, Payments and Purchases. This was ideal and its Free.

We don't use their credit card payments service yet.

Wave review by Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Product So Far"

What do you like best?

I love that the product is free and covers almost everything I need from an accounting perspective. I like that I can add payroll in the future should my company expand. Great for a start-up company.

What do you dislike?

I wish it offered cash based accounting instead of only accrual based. I also wish it would allow me to upload deposit receipts, not just expense receipts. I also wish that there more report options - especially a cash flow statement report. It also lacks the ability to track and issue 1099s.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great accounting program for freelancers and small start-up companies. It has the basics in terms of what you need for invoicing, accounting, and reporting. It misses a few features that would be helpful, but you can't beat the free price tag. Larger companies will probably need a system with more robust features.

It is a great accounting program for a small, new start-up company with options that I can add later if I expand.

Wave review by Peter S.
Peter S.

"Great for SMBs"

What do you like best?

It provides a ledger with invoicing and collections. The reports are great for at a glance progress, detailed reviews and end of year tax preparations. Invoices can be 1-offs or recurring at any interval desired. The dashboard gives a great i page summary of the business.

What do you dislike?

Synchronization with accounts is automatic, but reconciling deposits form invoice payments processed through Wave can be a bit of work since multiple invoices can be transferred in a single deposit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free, so test it for yourself.

This is a great accounting solution at nearly no cost. They do charge fees for credit cards (2.9%+.30)and bank transfers(1%), but they are standard costs. There are no other fees.

Wave review by Greg A.
Greg A.

"Invoicing super, CRM helpful, card payments possible, expenses developing "

What do you like best?

It’s great how quickly and easily you can generate an invoice for the customer. While they wait in fact!

What do you dislike?

You have to email the invoice. The ability to IM them would be good too. Receipts app needs a manual deepened addition facility added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use for invoicing but not expenses just yet. They need to make it easy to add online purchases.

Invoicing at an improved speed, faster payments received.

Wave review by Administrator in Medical Practice
Administrator in Medical Practice

"Easy to navigate"

What do you like best?

I liked the walk through tutorial when I initially signed up. I felt it gave me a good overview and grasp on the product. I have a small business and like that it is tailored to my business size and personal accounts as well. As a start up business I can add my personal accounts and take into consideration the things I have paid for personally. I was nervous about taking on my own accounting, but with this product I feel much more confident!

What do you dislike?

It doesn't automatically update my bank account information. I have to manually update to see my balances which can take several minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go through the tutorial before setting up.

I am saving a lot of money and time for my small business using Wave over other similar systems. Managing my own financials not only saves money, but helps me keep up to date on my accounts and know exactly what is going on all the time.

Wave review by Rachelle S.
Rachelle S.

"Wave Apps"

What do you like best?

- Easy to navigate format.

- Cloud-based app that enables me to update my accounting remotely.

- Ability to run reports on categories.

- Ability integrate billing, which provides a clearer picture of finances (in addition to income/expenses categories).

-Dashboard that includes basic metrics at a glance.

-Good for small businesses and solopreneurs who don't have accounting staff.

What do you dislike?

-No easy to use/view balance sheet (can use the reports function to get this, but it would be easier to have it at a glance).

-Can sometimes run slow.

-I have had several cases where my entry was double submission, because the software froze.

-They can work on auto-categorization, so I don't have to manually enter them for some of my transactions each month.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good basic cloud-based accounting software. Particularly useful for new business owners, as it's very intuitive and easy to use.

-Accounting/financial management for my business.

Wave review by Neil C.
Neil C.

"Great Online Invoicing"

What do you like best?

I use Wave almost everyday to monitor my account receivables and to prepare estimates for new clients. The ease of use and the fact it's free is a real plus to me.

What do you dislike?

I have been using them for several years and they have added an app and other new services that really helps me run my business. I can't think of anything I dislike about it.

Using Wave to help prepare my taxes have been extremely helpful in running my business.

Wave review by Amanda V.
Amanda V.

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I am constantly creating invoices for my customers. It's great to be able to save customer information so I can easily access it when I need to send them a bill. My business is just now getting started, so I'm excited to use their extra features such as payroll some time soon.

What do you dislike?

The website can get slow here and there but overall I really enjoy using the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great system! I use it every day and have had a great experience overall. My customers love the convenience of it as well.

Sending invoices to customers and keeping track of payments and receipts. I used to do this all on my own from my own computer sending PDF's directly from my own email, etc. I needed something simpler - and Wave helps me keep track of everything in a much more organized manner. I also appreciate the "send receipt" option.

Wave review by Melissa B.
Melissa B.

"Business accounting made easy."

What do you like best?

I love how easy wave was to set-up, being a sole-preneur I dont need a lot of fancy bells and whistles. I just needed basic accounting software. I can add my transactions and link them to my vendors, clients, and expense categories. It's great to be able to easily pull up information by client, or vendor.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a big fan of the way it syncs data from banks and paypal, I found myself with a mess of duplicate entries and just couldn't seem to get the import/sync process down. I just prefer to enter the info manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not sure about wave sign up and just test it out. It's truly a wonderfully customizable accounting tool. You can even invoice clients with wave.

Wave accounting has been a life saver for my business. I hated dealing with book work before I started using wave. I still may procrastinate a bit at the end of the month but it's always done and the reports I can generate are fantastic. When tax time rolls around I can generate all the reports necessary to make filing as painless as it possibly can be.

Wave review by User

"Fantastic FREE Cloud Based Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Love that each of us can have the app on our phones, tablets, and desktop, with the same access to everything, and it's FREE!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing...it's fantastic software!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! Nothing to lose, it's free and you'll LOVE it!

We're solving having mobile AND desktop access to the same accounts. I can email invoices from my phone, and later download a PDF to email for other clients who prefer that, or print from our office to mail for other clients.

Learning about Wave?

* We monitor all Wave reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.