Wave

The world's fastest growing small business accounting software.

Work for Wave?

Learning about Wave?

Wave Reviews

Showing 138 Wave reviews
Wave review by Corey D.
Corey D.

"Great for small business"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can set up recurring invoices for my monthly clients, and that the invoices ship out on the correct day ensuring that I get paid in a timely manner. I also enjoy the monthly expenditure tracking that is included in this web app.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the history for a specific client is difficult to target, especially when someone wants to see their yearly expenses with me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great accounting application (AND it works with the Station app!!) for small business. It is very flexible until you link a bank account that is not your primary account for business income and expenses. I would definitely only link it to your business account, and not one that is used for other purposes. I had to reset mine this year because it got a little confused between my personal and business accounts. I'm certain it was operator error, and I did not utilize their help feature before that. Aside from that, Wave has been working flawlessly, and I do recommend it for small business.

I primarily use Wave for all of my small contracts for design work, and all of my larger monthly retainers. Giving my clients an option to view their invoices and make payments online is a serious bonus. Also, keeping track of expenses vs. income is an important part of running a small business. Wave has not let me down yet!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Wave
Wave review by Josh L.
Josh L.

"Wave is an amazing service for businesses on a budget"

What do you like best?

A lot of product for the cost (free for everything except processing transactions), the ability to access wave from anywhere rather than a local program is extremely convenient, beautiful and customizable invoice templates, payroll is super simple to set up and use, email reminders for invoices and estimates are easy to set up and use, Wave support was fast with little to no wait time, managing customers data is far less confusing than doing it yourself or adding them to your personal contacts, payment page for customers is easy to understand with only the basic info shown, personal payment page for each customer and invoice makes it easy and professional to send payment link to customers

What do you dislike?

Sometimes managing your books the UI can become unintuitive and unresponsive, the inability to add or mark a transaction as personal or business can become extremely frustrating, more options to customize your invoices would be nice (specific object colours, layouts etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that the product is free and how much money you are saving on a monthly basis.

Creating and sending ending invoices now takes 1/4 of the time with Wave compared to using Excel, Tax time will go much faster as all of our transactions are automatically organized,

What Small-Business Accounting solution do you use?

Wave review by Kelly M.
Kelly M.

"Everything I need for my small business accounting- and more!"

What do you like best?

Wave is a comprehensive accounting app that is easy to use, has great features, and is most importantly- completely free! It is all online, so it allows me to access my account anywhere from any device, which is very helpful when I am travelling or when I forget to bring my laptop to work. I have previously used QuickBooks Small Business, and Wave is completely comparable in my opinion- except for the monthly subscription fee! It allows me to run multiple kinds of reports, integrate with my bank and credit card accounts, and reconcile all expenses and income seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that Wave doesn't have a comprehensive mobile app available, at least for Android. Wave does have supplementary apps, like an app that allows you to upload and categorize receipts, which then integrate into the main Wave interface. However, it would be great if there was an app that allowed for more on-the-go accounting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! I have no complaints!

I am able to easily reconcile my business accounts any time, anywhere. I can also quickly run reports to help with my financial planning. My accountant also loves Wave and has no preference between it and Quickbooks for everything that she needs to use it for!

Wave review by Sandeep K.
Sandeep K.

"Best (Free) hosted software for invoicing and account "

What do you like best?

Simple invoicing for small businesses and its hosted so it seeks the ease of small businesses for developing a invoice software and hosting that. its quite simple and easy to use for a normal employee with sort-cut popups.

What do you dislike?

Employee payroll is not available in indian currency. Also most of the things can not be deleted, like configured taxes ( It may be because of dependency ) as tax configurations been used for existing invoices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If need is accounting software you can go with wave it gives good customization options for startups.

I remember wave got started as a invoicing software and we have started just for invoicing and now its a accounting software. We are now using for invoicing and tracking records of payments. It solved a problem of developing a software and managing all taking care by wave.

Wave review by Katie T.
Katie T.

"Wave Apps is the most important service I use for my business"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Wave is that you can see at a glance how your business is doing, and compare it to last year. I've tried other accounting software and they don't come close to the information Wave gives you.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I don't like about Wave. It checks all the boxes I need to run my business AND it has features I don't need yet but will as my business grows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is literally no downside to trying Wave, it's 100% free to use all the features, no trial, no tiered packages. Their paid version is exactly the same, except you get priority support. You can also pay for a Payroll service for $24/month, which I think is more than fair. Wave has transformed my business and I look even more professional because of their billing options. I can set my clients up with any type of billing schedule they like just like a larger company could and it's all automated!

The major problem I'm solving is having my books organized for FREE. Not only is it accounting software, the invoicing is amazing. I no longer need an invoicing software and an accounting software.

Wave review by Kristine N.
Kristine N.

"Free bookkeeping for freelancers"

What do you like best?

I love that this app is free! If you want to receive payments through the app there is a fee, but for keeping track of income and expenses, it's free, which is all I need as a small freelancer.

What do you dislike?

Uploading a receipt takes a long time to process (like I've always given up on waiting and the next time I come back it's finally there). And I can't edit/enter any of the receipt into until it's done processing. So that's annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're just starting out or have a small operation, this is a good starting place!

The software I was using to track my expenses before was on a hard disk download, but I didn't buy an upgrade every year and the last time I updated my computer, the software started crashing on me. So I needed to either upgrade or switch to something else. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in tracking my expenses, but wanted something that would keep track and save time with sending invoices. Wave seems to be doing both.

Wave review by Jessica F.
Jessica F.

"Overall good free product"

What do you like best?

The price tag can't be beat. You only pay to process payments or payroll. If you don't need either service it's 100% free to use. It has all of the basic features that a freelance or a small service-based business needs. You are able to have multiple companies and unlimited collaborators. The product is constantly being improved as I see offers to beta test new features and have benefited from several new features released during the years that I have been using it.

What do you dislike?

Upselling advertising that you can't get rid off, while it's unobtrusive and they have to make money somehow, I wish that I could hide it after a while. Customer support is very friendly and usually useful but only available via e-mail or chat so if you have an urgent concern there is no phone number to call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You don't lose anything by trying it. Cost for payment processing and payroll is competitive, everything else is free. If you need inventory tracking, purchase orders, credit memos or class tracking, this isn't the product for you.

I used it when my business first started and I didn't have the funds for a paid service, I was so pleased with it that I kept using over the years and have helped clients implement it. Invoicing is easy, aesthetic and online payments are great and low-cost. It's very easy to configure recurring invoices and automatic payements.

Wave review by Ian S.
Ian S.

"There Are Probably Better Options Out There, But This Is Free"

What do you like best?

I like the recurring invoices best, but even this could be improved. I have to wait for Wave's set time to see them reoccur instead of immediately after midnight on the date they are to recur.

What do you dislike?

I absolutely detest that if a customer overpays an invoice, it doesn't really keep track automatically and apply the overpayment to the next invoice that the customer receives.

There are workarounds for some things, but these are not always very handy. I also do not like that it is difficult to create your own accounts, for example, a separate "Gas" and "Electricity" expense account. There are some ways to create new accounts, but it's awkward, in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you might like it. I like that it is free. But there are probably better options out there.

I use Linux for my desktop, and unfortunately, there are not a lot of accounting/book keeping applications for Linux. There is one that I used to use and really liked called Quasar, but unfortunately it won't run on some newer distributions. So Wave solves that problem for me in that I can continue to use Linux and have some of the features I want in an accounting app.

Wave review by Krista B.
Krista B.

"The best and easiest accounting and invoice tool ever"

What do you like best?

This tool has made it possible to operate very efficiently when managing my accounting and invoicing needs. I can login via Google Auth and link bank accounts (inluding Paypal & others) to import transactions. All I have to do is go in periodically and label the transactions (expenses/income etc..) and it will perform reporting for me. My quarterly sales tax and annual taxes are a breeze. Also, I use this to invoice customers & when they pay - it imports those income deposits so it's all centralized. I can save customer profiles and they can save their payment info for auto billing. Customer service is very responsive to all inquiries. They also have a payroll service available.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I wish I could do is null out the remaining balances on partially paid invoices without deleting the invoices if I choose to waive the remaining balance. Also - this is not a dislike but rather a feature wish - it would be magical if it integrated with more productivity tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an all-in-one solution. I highly recommend to others looking for something for their business.

I am able to have a centralized place for my accounting and invoicing that didn't take an arduous set up time. It was very user intuitive and make corrections as I go along and learn more about accounting best practices.

Wave review by Katherine M.
Katherine M.

"Awesome for small businesses - and free!"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity and ease of use. The online platform is easy to navigate, and provides all the features that small business owners need such as client contact management, invoicing, payments, and more. You can connect to your email (to import contacts) and to your bank account as well (for automatic reconciliation and identifying type of purchase). Best of all - it's free!

What do you dislike?

Wave previously did not have a feature that was conducive to typing purchase orders. However, just within the past week alone Wave issued multiple updates and upgraded from their original platform. They now allow for a PO number to be entered on an invoice, however I don't believe this program is as intuitive if you needed to type POs as a large part of your business. I also am currently not sure what accountants think about this program (my accountant recommended Quickbooks) and how they will be able to navigate and pull the information needed for filing taxes. I also dislike how sometimes payments are recorded twice (by marking a payment on an invoice, and by having a bank deposit) - you have to manually go through and delete your bank deposit which can be cumbersome and confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! You really don't have anything to lose and may prove to be exactly what a small business owner needs without having to pay big dollars for fancy book keeping software.

I am much more organized and able to easily track status of payments and invoices out to customers. I can even set automatic recurring reminders and receipts - which saves so much time! Clients can pay outside of the software, but there also are options to pay via credit card (2.9% fee - which is better than Square's rate I believe), or bank transfer (1% fee). I realized that this software is perfect for small businesses and SO awesome that it's free. I'm going to continue utilizing this program until (and if) my business ever outgrows it.

Wave review by Yasmin V.
Yasmin V.

"Free and convenient"

What do you like best?

I like the invoice feature the best. I first got the software to send clean invoices for payment as my other project management software charged me more for more invoices.

What do you dislike?

I'm still trying to figure out the bookkeeping section. It's not as clean cut as other providers I have used so I'm hoping to utilize it more to have all my bookkeeping in one place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since small businesses are their primary focus I think they should add more features for freelancers. It would be great to use it as a tool to project my taxes for the quarter. I pay for Quickbooks for this but would definitely switch to Wave for this.

I am trying to solve issues with invoicing. I want to not have to pay to manage my finances and my client's payments so this has definitely helped me with that. A benefit I have realized is accepting online payments straight through the system. I just use this for smaller projects because I don't want to pay more fees. I'm really excited about their new auto payment feature as well so I hope I can use that soon.

Wave review by Lukas S.
Lukas S.

"RIding the Wave"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use Wave Accounting. Even though I have a background in Accounting this product is easy to use for someone without much accounting knowledge. It is very easy to add a bank so that your financial data is synced with Wave.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I haven't found anything that I dislike about Wave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a cost effective way to get your accounting done then this product is it. It is very easy to use and get paid using their invoice service. It is a great product plus you can download the invoicing app to your phone to track payments.

It allows us to track revenue and expense easily. We can also send an invoice with ease to customers.

Wave review by Torrey H.
Torrey H.

"A MUST HAVE"

What do you like best?

Wave allows me to keep track of my entire 'business'. I can send invoices, accept payment, know my financial status and so much more at the click of a mouse. I can connect and see what's happening with all my accounts. I honestly couldn't do without it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't discovered anything I don't really like yet. So far everything it does works for me. I will see how that goes once my work picks up more though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whether you're just getting started or already in the know, consider utilizing Wave. As a freelancer or Independent Contractor you need to be on top of your money at all times, and Wave enables you to do just that. Don't miss out trying other products. I did, and they didn't work like I needed.

It solves the problem of having to use many different methods, apps, software, programs to keep up with my business.

Wave review by Sanjit M.
Sanjit M.

"A very easy to use accounting software; and it's FREE! :)"

What do you like best?

Not having to pay a monthly charge for accounting software has been great. I switched from QuickBooks Online after I learned for what I needed Wave did just that and better. It's ease of use was not matched by QuickBooks online. Also, it can take credit cards w/o the monthly fees like QuickBooks.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this time. They have evolved over the years and I love it. They have a service line for phone calls, you an turn it on and off when you need it, it is great. I used it for 2 calls and i was well worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work in ETF, that would be huge to help keep costs down. :)

Looking for an inexpensive accounting software to bill clients, creating reoccurring invoices, and also taking credit cards.

Wave review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Just started, but it looks good!"

What do you like best?

What I like about Wave most is that it is free and you can *actually* use the free version. If I end up sticking with it now, I'll definitely support Wave in the future. But it is so nice to see a free product that is actually usable and not so bogged down with constant pop-up advertisements to upgrade to the paid version.

Also, the design is simple and functional. The first time I looked at Quickbooks I was totally overwhelmed, but Wave almost looks like any other financial platform I use.

What do you dislike?

I think it would be nice if there were more resources on how to set up a bookkeeping system. If you're not yet paying a bookkeeper it is probably because you're just starting your first business, which means you don't know much yet. Just a walk through of basic principles and how they're realized in Wave would be nice.

Before wave I was using a pretty complicated system of Excel sheets; Wave simplifies and unifies everything.

Wave review by Brittani H.
Brittani H.

"Great system for any company!"

What do you like best?

Wave is so easy to use and best of all it is free to use. I can track my invoices, payments, payroll etc. Invoices can be customized to your liking and you can get paid with a debit card or bank account with a low processing fee. The best thing that ever happens to my company.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to customize your account to fit your needs and there is a lot of verification when it comes to payroll. But it is all worth it in the end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Wave to anyone who handles all finances on your own. It is easy to use and takes minutes to get paid.

The problems I am solving with Wave is my payment processor. Before using Wave I sent invoices manually and the entire process was a long one for my clients. Now that I am using Wave I close more deals and my clients are happy.

Wave review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Great product for early companies! "

What do you like best?

The simple nature of this program makes accounting almost enjoyable. The best part about this product is the fact that you can pretty much do almost anything with it in a simple and fast way. From basic book keeping to setting up your payroll, it can do it all. That is what I love most about this product. It is also very user friendly so almost anyone, even someone who is not tech savy should be able to use it with no issues.

What do you dislike?

There is not much not to like about this product other than the task itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely use this product especially if you are new to accounting.

I had to set up accounting software to keep track of expenses and revenue for a couple businesses.

Wave review by Jessica A.
Jessica A.

"Horrible customer service and support"

What do you like best?

The system was easy to learn and intuitive. It was all going great until I needed customer support after ALL of the information I had been inputting for days was inaccessible. Support never contacted me after an initial basic email. They ignored my requests for help for days.

What do you dislike?

Horrible customer support. I spent days inputting information - was bumped out of the system - went to sign back in and it wouldn't recognize me - when I was able to sign back in all of my info was lost - every. single. piece.

I contacted customer support and they told me to reset my password (which I did) and have completely ignored me since. I've contacted them at least 4 additional times requesting some support and help.

I've wasted at least 40 man hours on inputting and then losing and then trying to regain the info. I also have had to re-do everything in another program. I also wasted a bunch of money meeting with my accountant because the program lost my information. Beyond frustrating.

I couldn't trust this product or recommend this product after my experience. I don't think I've ever received such horrible support for a product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid this product. You risk losing all of your hard work. If you need help, they will ignore you.

tracking expenses and accounting.

Wave review by Brittani W.
Brittani W.

"I like it "

What do you like best?

This is a FREE bookkepping tool. I use this and quick books depending on my clients needs and I like the ease of it. Customer Service is also good.

What do you dislike?

It was not very user friendly in the beginning it did take some time to get use to it. Once you figure it out, its pretty good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be Patient, watch a few tutorials if you need to. Once you learn it, its easy to use.

It saves money this is a good tool to use especially if you are just getting started in your business.

Wave review by Lindsay F.
Lindsay F.

"Awesome free bookkeeping"

What do you like best?

For a free service, the application was very professional-looking, feature dense, and easy to use. I was grateful to find this when first starting out my business, and didn't have a lot of capital to invest in setting up my administrative structure. I really like the design, and the color-coded ability to see which invoices have been paid / sent / unpaid. It is so easy, and took me hardly any time to set it up and get use to using it.

What do you dislike?

I ultimately stopped using Wave because I wanted to save myself time by combining multiple features within my invoicing system – the ability to sign contracts, create proposals, manage incoming leads, etc. But there is actually a lot I miss about Wave now, because it's so good at the one service it does provide!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is great for keeping your business finances organized.

Wave helped my business look more professional by having a consistent invoicing system, and the ability to accept credit card payments by emailing a client. Wave really helped me when it came around to tax time with the "Reports" feature – I could just go into the financial reporting, categorized my business expenses, and make sure all the totals were accurate with what I put on my taxes.

Wave review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Simplest system to keep track of expenses"

What do you like best?

Ease of use; the general ledger of adding expenses/income. Provides you with a breakdown of what type of expenses are available as well as allowing you to create your own. Can take expenses off of cash on hand value! Many reports available to help you get a better idea of where your expenses lie. I have yet to use the Payroll feature as we have no employees; but the ease of use is what turned me on the most to this program. The fact that this program is of zero cost also aided in me choosing this over similar programs on the market.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike- using this program is so simple. I did not even have to follow any type of tutorial and was able to figure it out on my own in about ten minutes. The navigation pain is self explanatory and the number of features available surpasses any other system I have used (concur, Quickbooks, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love using this program- I find it a lot easier to navigate than Quickbooks!

Wave accounting has allowed me to better track my business expenses for both of my LLCs. I use the transactions tool bar to allocate expenses for each of my LLcs which allows me to breakdown for my accountant where/what I am spending the most money on.

Wave review by Caryn P.
Caryn P.

"A great, free solution for accounting"

What do you like best?

I'm a fan of "cloud accounting" for the convenience, and the Wave app offers this solution as well as a 'Receipts' app that really helps with logging expenses on the go. Most importantly, there's no price tag to use this solution so it's easy to overlook any of the cons for the most important reason. Free is the best pro of all!

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, there is no option for time tracking. I fell in love with Wave after using it to set up my second business, and was hoping to move my first business over from Freshbooks (to save $30/month) but it just wasn't as intuitive or easy to set up for a freelance services business. Like most other accounting solutions, it's much easier to set up for a "physical product" type business and, again, it's free so I can't complain... but I do wish it would offer more of the same benefits available with Freshbooks for a service provider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free so it doesn't cost anything to set up and see how 'it feels' for you.

Simple accounting. Best benefit is that it's free and somewhat easy to set up, for certain business models.

Wave review by Aaron F.
Aaron F.

"Excellent Website for Small Business Accounting "

What do you like best?

Wave is free! It allows me to create professional invoices for my business and keep track of who has paid and who I still need to collect from. Wave makes tax time much easier for me because I can find all my business related income and expenses in one easy to use place. They also feature recurring invoices which is very beneficial to me as I no longer have to keep track of remembering and sending them myself.

What do you dislike?

I did not find the ability to manage transactions and categorize them as personal or business to be very useful. I generally don't have many expenses for my business so others may find more benefit from this feature than I did.

Wave allows me to easily send invoices to my customers. They allow complete customization and look very professional. You can easily track when the invoice was sent and send reminders as needed. I also like the fact that this product is fully online so I can access from anywhere.

Wave review by Derek W.
Derek W.

"Intuitive, easy to navigate, and free!"

What do you like best?

Wave is really easy to use and set up. The learning curve to familiarize myself with the software was really short; I was comfortable with it after a few hours. The companion apps - Wave Receipts and Wave Invoices - are really useful. I have a partner (non-business), and all she has to do is take a picture of any receipts with the app... and I can do the rest.

Also, it's FREE. You just pay for payment processing and payroll. Have the ability to invoice and take payments within one application is very useful.

What do you dislike?

The Receipt app is a touch glitchy from time-to-time. And a lot of the times the picture-to-text is not accurate.

The software is usually quite good, although sometimes I've had to verify Transactions multiple times before they get recorded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a simple business (small or no payroll, non-complex transactions), I would definitely check this out before paying for anything else! The Receipt App is especially awesome!

I didn't want to take on a more complex Accounting software like Quickbooks or Simply... we're a very small operation and it just didn't make sense to spend a bunch on software for features we didn't need. Wave is great... I only have to spend maybe 1 hour a month to keep on top of things.

Wave review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Even though the services are mostly free, it's provides quality"

What do you like best?

I like how you can choose the option to send payment reminders when you're sending invoices to clients or customers. For the most part, I send my invoices a week in advance, and they still forget. Once I started sending reminders, I started getting paid on time or early. That is probably one of my favorite features!

What do you dislike?

I don't like the 1% service fee for ACH/bank payments. If I know someone is going to be paying with an electronic (and I know they're going to pay on time), I send an invoice through Quickbooks instead, since they don't charge a processing fee for ACH payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a cheaper option to maintain your books, send invoices, & receive payments, you should definitely consider this option.

I can save time when working on my books, especially if I have connected my checking and credit card accounts. I also am improving how long it takes client invoices to be paid with those payment reminders before they're due and overdue reminders.

Wave review by Amy T.
Amy T.

"Wave -- Perfect for the Eager Entrepreneur"

What do you like best?

Wave has a clean interface that is easy to navigate and visually pleasing as well. I especially like that you are able to use one program for *multiple* businesses, in addition to personal records. This is great because you can switch between businesses with a simple click instead of having to run multiple programs or log in and out of various accounts. I have recommended this product to several friends because it's been such a great tool.

What do you dislike?

I am actually really pleased with this product, so it is hard to think of what needs to be changed. I haven't used the payroll or billing features so I can't comment on that. It would be extremely helpful if Wave included tax forms or at least helped you with that process, like QuickBooks does. It would also be helpful to have a budgeting feature that would help organize and analyze business/personal expenses. But I haven't experienced problems with all of the features that Wave already includes!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wave is great for entrepreneurs who would like to use ONE program to organize both their personal and business (even multiple business) budgets and accounts.

It was difficult to use gmail, PayPal, GoodBudget, and several other spreadsheets to organize customer invoices. Now, I can send an invoice over Wave and even set up reminders so that customers are notified a few days before/after the invoice due date. This has streamlined the invoicing process tremendously!

Wave review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"The best free accounting software out there!"

What do you like best?

I like the ease-of-use, the price point, the support, the trial opportunities that are made available by the software company. As a small business owner, it's wonderful to be able to do all my accounting with a free software and grow my knowledge of accounting while doing so

What do you dislike?

And does take time to learn how to use the system, so there is a lot of trial and error, but that's generally the name of the game with any new software. I do think that it's' as intuitive as it can be for someone unfamiliar with accounting, but you kind of have to come in with that prior knowledge

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely recommend wave for those with a small business or they'll want to just begin doing it their own personal accounting. It's possible for you to have a personal account as well as a business account side-by-side on your user interface, which is super helpful

I don't have to hire an accountant! If I do have problems, I can always search their FAQs and help page. The software is easy to use as well, so if I wanted to go to a company like Upwork and find an accountant, I could easily give them access to my account to help me in whatever way needed

Wave review by Krystal H.
Krystal H.

"In Need of a Walk-thru "

What do you like best?

I love that is is so easy to switch over without using a hard data system to process information. A simple login to the system you already have and they have most of your information within a few hours or days. I love the overlay of the design and how easy it is to use.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack of understanding the system and how it works, I believe a walk-thru video would be best to have when beginning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have set up direct expenses and income lines correctly. It will manipulate them into the wrong directions if you are not careful.

Easy access when trying to find out what I have used, and not used in certain areas. Best benefits to this system is when you have to figure where all your expenses and assets are going and sometimes why.

Wave review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.

"I use this for two businesses and it helps me track my income and spending very well."

What do you like best?

I can integrate my bank accounts, upload receipts, and use a somewhat limited app version on my iPhone.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to complain about a free service, but the receipts don't always get scanned properly by the software, so there is some manual work that still needs to be done. I'm not sure if it's counting income twice based on my recording a payment and there being a deposit in my linked bank account.

Moreover, docs created in the program get assigned a random link to send to clients to access. I got a fun one, once, that had some interesting words. I'm not sure if it was random or if it was on purpose, but it would have been very embarrassing had I sent that to a client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to get to know the platform. Play around with things, and eventually, it will work as you'd like it to. It's a useful monitoring tool, though I still feel like I have a lot of manual work I do to ensure everything is correct.

Lastly, if your clients can pay you with a check, make that the only option or Wave will take a percentage of your sales for processing the payment for you. Sometimes, it means the difference between getting paid or not, so I opted for accepting credit card payments to ensure I got paid. I would have preferred to accept checks instead, as there is no associated fee (just time) to get that in the mail and deposit it.

Wave helps me stay organized. I can see what's outstanding when it comes to invoices, and I can see when I've sent a proposal so I can follow up on it later.

Wave review by User

"Free & Simple Accounting for Small Businesses / Solopreneurs"

What do you like best?

It's Free, has a mobile expense receipt capturing app, integrates well with bank and credit card to automatically import transactions and has basic accounting features most small businesses need for daily operations. Includes good set of reporting capabilities, including aged receivables and payables, account transactions, income statement etc. One can develop estimates and also setup recurring invoices which we use and is a huge time saver for us. Although it has paid options like invoices we dont use them since most our transactions are recurring and payable on a fixed date.

For expense receipt management you can use the mobile app or email your receipts and it automatically captures vendor name, amounts etc. We specially like this feature a lot.

The best part is its simplicity. Anyone without accounting knowledge can easily use Waveapps without much training or startup hassles.

What do you dislike?

It's Basic.

The site can be slow sometimes and even though it allows multiple users to access your business accounts , it has no audit trail of changes made and does not ask for confirmations or authorization before deleting records. The

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a solo entrepreneur or small business and need simple accounting software you do not need complicated software like Quickbooks etc. Plus having payroll and invoice payments features within the same suite of apps increase your productivity and make life easier.

We use Waveapps for our tutoring center and since our operation is fairly small, Wave has simplified our accounting. Specially the ability to Track Expenses, Invoices and reconcile with banks & credit card transactions has made life easier.

We do not utilize any of their paid services such as Payroll or Invoice Payments,

Wave review by Janine B.
Janine B.

"Fantastic invoicing solution for solopreneurs/coaches"

What do you like best?

How customisable the invoice template is, the many features for setting up taxes and pricing schedules, importing/interfacing with external CRM via Zapier, the integrated Stripe CC payment feature, and mulitple currencies option.

What do you dislike?

The reporting aspect is to focused on accounting. I tried integrating y bank accounts but it was just too difficult to do without getting properly trained (!! - I studied accounting yet was wanting to fast track my knowledge of the software).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a free and easy intuitive and professional invoicing solution, this is great (and I reviewed about 15!!)!

I am presenting a professional invoicing solution and seamless payment option to clients all over the world.

Wave review by Paul K.
Paul K.

"Meets Basic Business Needs in a Nice Clean Interface"

What do you like best?

Has the basic features that a good business needs. Interface is clean and clear. I like that it has the feature to verify transactions (aka like balancing your checkbook).

What do you dislike?

More search filters are needed. It would be nice to be able to find all transactions that match a specific payee or have a word in their name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Realize that it is a basic, free option that gives you a way to use good accounting practices without the complexity of high powered accounting software.

Helps me management the billing of projects to the right event. The big benefit is that this tool helps me stay on top of my billing needs and provides a great way to make sure I stay current with billing and paying bills. The way it forces you to balance is great.

Wave review by Erik Q.
Erik Q.

"A QuickBooks Alternative for FREE!"

What do you like best?

I love that a powerful, cloud- based piece of tech is free, unlike Quickbooks which is expensive to many small businesses. If you run a variety of other businesses you have the ability to create a new entity within the same Wave account. It allows you to choose the accounts related to your business such as main dashboard, transactions, receipts, accounting, reports, bill pay, integrations with almost every bank, and also allows you to track your investments. A big advantage is the ability to set your primary currency; so from the UAE dirham to the Zimbabwean dollar and every currency in between is possible with Wave.

What do you dislike?

My gripes about Wave are very minimal but not having integration with a variety of other software such as SquareUp. Wave does allow you to accept credit cards online for a fee but does not have a reader like SquareUp.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business who counts meticulously how cash is spent or are on a tight budget, Wave is for you.

The benefits I have realized are not having another expense which is paying for Quickbooks, yea they are the industry leader but Wave is a better alternative.

Wave review by Nick W.
Nick W.

"Amazing accounting and invoicing for small business"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that it is free to use. I am a small business and every penny counts. It is very robust. I use invoicing the most and love the ease of use in creating those as well as the recurring invoice capability.

What do you dislike?

A little better ability to sort items in the accounting portion and separating them out. There is not app for the Mac desktop. This would help manage things quicker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have basic accounting and invoicing set up for your business, then this is the tool for you. Simple to use and free of charge. It helps me keep track of all the stuff I am not well versed in.

I needed a good way to invoice clients and track the progress. Wave allows me to do that. I can see if someone viewed it or not to help determine if I need to send a reminder or not.

Wave review by Stacy N.
Stacy N.

"Review of Wave"

What do you like best?

The ease of creating invoices that are attractive for my clients. I can send them via email AND via PDF simultaneously, and save copies for myself if desired. I can see if my clients opened/reviewed their invoice, and tell how many days the invoice has been aging at a quick glance. By having my business credit card transactions imported automatically, I no longer miss entering deductible items because of a misplaced receipt.

What do you dislike?

I find after leaving Microsoft Money, the concept of debits and credits a bit confusing. There are occasionally duplicate entries in the automatic system that make things confusing (particularly when I connected my PayPal accounts).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to use the online FAQ and help tutorials to understand how all the debits/credits function together and how one affects the other.

I have been able to keep MUCH better track of my invoices to clients. I usually know when they've been able to receive / open them (so they can't say they didn't get an invoice). I can quickly see who has outstanding invoices, and I can provide clients with a statement sheet.

Wave review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Ideal for Small Business with Minimal to No Accounting Knowledge Necessary"

What do you like best?

Its extremely easy to signup and the included templates based on your type of business make it dead simple to get started. The interface is pleasing and includes basic functionality for small businesses (eg: Retail or Service oriented). Setup time is minutes and requires no prior accounting knowledge. Their Help Section has a great Getting Started Video series that's fairly good.

We use it for our small business including Invoicing, Accounting and Expenses and it's ideal. Even has a Expense Receipt capture app for phones.

Plus you cant beat Free.

What do you dislike?

It's designed for small businesses, but I would have liked a little bit more advanced functionality like Time Capture for employees.

Their reports are fairly basic without the ability to filter records online, so I tend to export data to spreadsheets and then filter them in Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for beginners and small businesses without prior accounting knowledge. Wave heading in the right direction by implementing some advanced functionality ie: recurring billing so I am very optimistic. Ease of Use and Free makes it way better than other accounting software on the market.

We were looking for a real low cost Invoicing and Expense management solution where we could keep track of Invoices, Payments and Purchases. This was ideal and its Free.

We don't use their credit card payments service yet.

Wave review by Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Product So Far"

What do you like best?

I love that the product is free and covers almost everything I need from an accounting perspective. I like that I can add payroll in the future should my company expand. Great for a start-up company.

What do you dislike?

I wish it offered cash based accounting instead of only accrual based. I also wish it would allow me to upload deposit receipts, not just expense receipts. I also wish that there more report options - especially a cash flow statement report. It also lacks the ability to track and issue 1099s.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great accounting program for freelancers and small start-up companies. It has the basics in terms of what you need for invoicing, accounting, and reporting. It misses a few features that would be helpful, but you can't beat the free price tag. Larger companies will probably need a system with more robust features.

It is a great accounting program for a small, new start-up company with options that I can add later if I expand.

Wave review by Peter S.
Peter S.

"Great for SMBs"

What do you like best?

It provides a ledger with invoicing and collections. The reports are great for at a glance progress, detailed reviews and end of year tax preparations. Invoices can be 1-offs or recurring at any interval desired. The dashboard gives a great i page summary of the business.

What do you dislike?

Synchronization with accounts is automatic, but reconciling deposits form invoice payments processed through Wave can be a bit of work since multiple invoices can be transferred in a single deposit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free, so test it for yourself.

This is a great accounting solution at nearly no cost. They do charge fees for credit cards (2.9%+.30)and bank transfers(1%), but they are standard costs. There are no other fees.

Wave review by Administrator in Medical Practice
Administrator in Medical Practice

"Easy to navigate"

What do you like best?

I liked the walk through tutorial when I initially signed up. I felt it gave me a good overview and grasp on the product. I have a small business and like that it is tailored to my business size and personal accounts as well. As a start up business I can add my personal accounts and take into consideration the things I have paid for personally. I was nervous about taking on my own accounting, but with this product I feel much more confident!

What do you dislike?

It doesn't automatically update my bank account information. I have to manually update to see my balances which can take several minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go through the tutorial before setting up.

I am saving a lot of money and time for my small business using Wave over other similar systems. Managing my own financials not only saves money, but helps me keep up to date on my accounts and know exactly what is going on all the time.

Wave review by Rachelle S.
Rachelle S.

"Wave Apps"

What do you like best?

- Easy to navigate format.

- Cloud-based app that enables me to update my accounting remotely.

- Ability to run reports on categories.

- Ability integrate billing, which provides a clearer picture of finances (in addition to income/expenses categories).

-Dashboard that includes basic metrics at a glance.

-Good for small businesses and solopreneurs who don't have accounting staff.

What do you dislike?

-No easy to use/view balance sheet (can use the reports function to get this, but it would be easier to have it at a glance).

-Can sometimes run slow.

-I have had several cases where my entry was double submission, because the software froze.

-They can work on auto-categorization, so I don't have to manually enter them for some of my transactions each month.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good basic cloud-based accounting software. Particularly useful for new business owners, as it's very intuitive and easy to use.

-Accounting/financial management for my business.

Wave review by Neil C.
Neil C.

"Great Online Invoicing"

What do you like best?

I use Wave almost everyday to monitor my account receivables and to prepare estimates for new clients. The ease of use and the fact it's free is a real plus to me.

What do you dislike?

I have been using them for several years and they have added an app and other new services that really helps me run my business. I can't think of anything I dislike about it.

Using Wave to help prepare my taxes have been extremely helpful in running my business.

Wave review by Amanda V.
Amanda V.

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I am constantly creating invoices for my customers. It's great to be able to save customer information so I can easily access it when I need to send them a bill. My business is just now getting started, so I'm excited to use their extra features such as payroll some time soon.

What do you dislike?

The website can get slow here and there but overall I really enjoy using the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great system! I use it every day and have had a great experience overall. My customers love the convenience of it as well.

Sending invoices to customers and keeping track of payments and receipts. I used to do this all on my own from my own computer sending PDF's directly from my own email, etc. I needed something simpler - and Wave helps me keep track of everything in a much more organized manner. I also appreciate the "send receipt" option.

Wave review by Melissa B.
Melissa B.

"Business accounting made easy."

What do you like best?

I love how easy wave was to set-up, being a sole-preneur I dont need a lot of fancy bells and whistles. I just needed basic accounting software. I can add my transactions and link them to my vendors, clients, and expense categories. It's great to be able to easily pull up information by client, or vendor.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a big fan of the way it syncs data from banks and paypal, I found myself with a mess of duplicate entries and just couldn't seem to get the import/sync process down. I just prefer to enter the info manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not sure about wave sign up and just test it out. It's truly a wonderfully customizable accounting tool. You can even invoice clients with wave.

Wave accounting has been a life saver for my business. I hated dealing with book work before I started using wave. I still may procrastinate a bit at the end of the month but it's always done and the reports I can generate are fantastic. When tax time rolls around I can generate all the reports necessary to make filing as painless as it possibly can be.

Wave review by User

"Fantastic FREE Cloud Based Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Love that each of us can have the app on our phones, tablets, and desktop, with the same access to everything, and it's FREE!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing...it's fantastic software!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! Nothing to lose, it's free and you'll LOVE it!

We're solving having mobile AND desktop access to the same accounts. I can email invoices from my phone, and later download a PDF to email for other clients who prefer that, or print from our office to mail for other clients.

Wave review by Pratibha S.
Pratibha S.

"Best free invoiceing software for small business"

What do you like best?

I liked most is Its Free software.

One more thing i liked most is it can sync payments from your bank accounts (read only mode).

Apart from above two, It has a great user interface and customizing options for each company. It is currently free for use tool with providing data in good analytics like graphs with filter options.

What do you dislike?

There is no tax management for GST.

Payroll option is not available for india.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommanded for inoiceing purpose only. Payroll is availabe for very few coutries only.

Syncing bank data to software, matching with payments made and invoices. With wave we can have good analytics and log to check our per year data for bills and payments

Wave review by Administrator in Executive Office
Administrator in Executive Office

"Wave's free version is appropriate for light accounting for small businesses..."

What do you like best?

I like that it is free, and that for a small cost they will provide electronic payments. It is a real value add for my customers, and it easily inputs the payment info into the register for me. For a small business without a ton of transactions, Wave works great for me.

What do you dislike?

I hate the way you reconcile an account. I wish it provided a more traditional way of reconciling, and a reconciliation report for audit purposes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend their payments function. It is cheaper than some of the alternative merchant services companies. Wave is a great free product for small businesses, and low cost for those that want electronic payments.

I am solving the problem of a reasonably priced accounting system that allows for electronic payments from customers. It lets me get my payments faster without bounced checks!

Wave review by User in Music
User in Music

"Love Wave!"

What do you like best?

I love that Wave is completely free - I just didn't have it in my budget to pay for an accounting software at this point in my business, but Wave does everything I need it to, and more.

In addition to tracking income and expenses, I also use Wave to send invoices and accept credit card payments, which is really convenient.

What do you dislike?

There is one annoying glitch with invoices, where each invoice gets inputted twice. First, it shows up as two separate transactions with the credit card processing fees separate from the payment amount, which is fine. But if you have your bank account linked, a second transaction (payment - credit card processing fees) will appear, making it look like you got paid twice.

Last I checked, they hadn't fixed the problem and the only way to fix it is to go through and manually delete each transaction.

As a solopreneur with not much income yet, Wave has helped me keep track of my finances and send invoices easily without having to pay for accounting software.

Wave review by Daniel B.
Daniel B.

"Great for small business"

What do you like best?

Love how far this app has come! Great accounting software for small businesses! Also love that most of the features are free which is great for small business. Love to invoicing and new payment section.

Love how it pulls in our transactions and how we can reconcile them! Love how you can customize the invoicing and the new updates they have made to the whole invoice feature. The reporting is also something super nice that helps me go through my whole business and make sure I have categorized everything correctly.

What do you dislike?

You can not do Cash bases accounting which would be nice to have. The app can be slow at time but that could also be my internet. Not a fan of the tiered support. Sometimes the bank connection does not always connect or takes a few days to connect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try you wont be disappointed!

Accounting for our business I do not use it for personal.

Billing and recurring invoicing helps send out monthly billing.

Payment processing.

The benefits to using wave is how flexible the app is and how it can grow with the business. If we ever need payroll they have a great option that ties right into the accounting software!

Love how I can take a glimpse of our yearly sales right on the main dashboard.

Wave review by Al W.
Al W.

"Great tool, elegant and simple to use."

What do you like best?

We like the elegant dashboard, the simplicity of set-up and use, the fact that most of the features offered are free and that it works!

What do you dislike?

Hard to find anything we dislike. Maybe at times the platform can be a little slow to load. It appears that, although you should be able to tell when a customer views an invoice, when clients just open the invoice email, without clicking on the link to the invoice, the invoice does not show as "viewed". We've noticed that most of our clients simply pay from the $ shown on the email and not view the actual invoice (we assume) since they never show as viewed. Other than that, haven't found anything we dislike.

Streamlined accounting in a simple to use, elegant dashboard.

Wave review by Denise M.
Denise M.

"Easy-to-use accounting"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can work on a draft invoice and plan ahead. I like the automatic deposits to my bank account.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could schedule ahead when I want invoices to be sent.

I can keep track of my income easily with Wave. I can easily accept many kinds of payments with Wave as well as tracking payments that have been made outside the application.

Wave review by Jeri L.
Jeri L.

"Wave accounting software and review "

What do you like best?

Wave is so built for the small businesses! Love the ease of use and functionality of the services. Have not been using it for that long and don't have everything implemented as of yet, but so far it has served its purpose.

What do you dislike?

Not really any complaints thus far it is perfect accounting software for any small business

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a small business owner, you won't regret ever using it.

One place to house all of my transactions and invoices, payments, etc. Perfect!!!!

Wave review by Pam S.
Pam S.

"Huge help to independent non-financial minded people!"

What do you like best?

I have simple needs. I'm a self-employed, freelance designer and I don't have employees. Wave has made it quick and easy to invoice clients in a professional way and keep track of my yearly finances and taxes. Best of all for someone like me with such simple needs the free account suffices - Perfect for sole proprietors and creatives.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to have some customization over the type of reporting that is done on the home screen.

I also find the statement feature can be buggy often resulting in having to generate a PDF to send a statement to a client vs. directly in Wave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very much! I appreciate that there is a free and paid option to site. It makes trying it risk free and easy to assess your needs overall.

I feel like I'm finally tracking my business finances properly and with confidence. The benefits are numerous but mainly that it makes tracking may taxes in and out accurately. I also like that it has taken over my invoicing and seamlessly connects the information to my client accounts accurately.

Wave review by Jonathan C.
Jonathan C.

"Perfect for a freelancer and small business."

What do you like best?

It is free and competes with other leading accounting software applications. I use Wave to write invoices, track transactions, accept payment and I am tempted to use payroll. It has invoicing and receipt mobile apps. In a torrent of accounting applications that want $30+ per month, Wave is definitely the way to go.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes are few! It seems that the developers address usability issues every quarter. I wish all of the product's features were available on a mobile app. It's not too much of a hassle to get online to do everything else that can't be done on their apps, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're used to other leading accounting software, Wave may not have everything you are looking for. If you have basic payroll, accounting, incoming and outgoing issues to solve, Wave may work just fine. Obviously, it is used online so there are the drawbacks to using a web application. It is setup on secure channels, but if you want to have your accounting information on a local system with special security and privacy consideration, then Wave might not be for you.

All of my accounting problems, for a one-man business and non-accountant, are solved. Once I invested the time to learn Wave's features, the system just grew on me. I am able to invoice clients, customize their interactions with my brand (at no extra cost!) and even get payments directly via credit cards.

Wave review by User

"Wave is an unmatched resource that's basically free"

What do you like best?

Wave is free! It's such an incredibly made product and for our purposes it's free! Wave has great receipt tracking for expenses, awesome and easy to use reports, great and professional looking invoicing, syncs well with a bank account, and is overall a pleasure to use.

What do you dislike?

My only wish is that Wave integrated with more platforms. That said, it seems to have new integrations every time I check (waiting for it to talk to Active Collab).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure Wave will work with your billing structure.

We've solved all of our accounting and invoicing needs with Wave. The biggest benefits for us are the ease of use and savings associated with using Wave.

Wave review by Scott E.
Scott E.

"You really can't beat free"

What do you like best?

I like Wave because it's free. For most small businesses you really don't need a ton of complicated features (depending on what you do), and for me this software fits the bill perfectly. It syncs my bank accounts, lets me label stuff so my accountant can sort through it at the end of the year, and did I mention it's free?

What do you dislike?

I absolutely hate the fact that they don't have a mobile app. They have a mobile app for invoices, and for receipts, but not just a general accounting app to look at how you're doing and label transactions and such. It's mind blowing in this day and age, particularly because other software like ZohoBooks even has a mobile app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have heavy accounting needs, just use Wave. It's free, simple, and works well enough.

This is my "books" for my business. I'm a low transaction business, 1-2 transactions a month, so it's really easy to manage all this with this software. I was close to choosing Zohobooks, but I'm not a huge power user and free beats out paid for me on this one.

Wave review by Ashley Rose M.
Ashley Rose M.

"Best Accounting for Small Biz"

What do you like best?

I love that everything is so integrated into the platform. It’s free to use, and I don’t mind paying the nominal fee to wave in order to take payments directly. I consider the small percentage they take to be my payment for using this program that has made my life so much easier.

What do you dislike?

honestly, there are few if any problems that I think need to be addressed. The software works wonderfully as is.

I’m solving any invoicing and accounting problems that I’ve come across. Keeping records entirely online makes it so easy to access all of my data from anywhere in the world.

Wave review by Kristy N.
Kristy N.

"Great free accounting and expense tracking software"

What do you like best?

- Seamlessly track and verify expenses from bank and credit card accounts

- Quickly create and send invoices

- Easily provide access to third parties (accountants)

What do you dislike?

Can be slow to respond at times. Must manually 'turn off' credit card option if you want vendors to pay via direct deposit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't used for payroll purposes, but everything else works as advertised and expected.

Tracking expenses, creating financial statements, creating and processing invoice payments.

Wave review by EJ S.
EJ S.

"Simple yet powerful accounting for small business!"

What do you like best?

First off, it's free. And you can literally use it free and not get nagged by Wave.

Second, it's super easy to use. If you aren't an accounting person this is for you. It's ridiculously easy to setup and it's powerful!

Third, it really makes your business look great!

What do you dislike?

I tried the Payroll. It was a bit kludgy and not really easy to use.

My invoicing is all automatic now. I can even opt to have them take credit cards for me if I'd like. The big benefit for me is that it's tracking all those receivables and giving me real world insights on how to improve.

Wave review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"Best free option out there"

What do you like best?

I love that it is free, but still looks great and does everything I need it to. Sends invoices, keeps track of who has paid, and even allows my clients to pay directly by credit card if I chose to go that route. I also love that I can personalize my bills to include my company logo. I am able to keep my reciepts in the same place as well, with the handy app. I just take a picture of them and voila!

What do you dislike?

The interface isn't extremely intuitive. Sometimes I get a little lost. This is really my only complaint, as I love wave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a free solution to your accounting problems, wave is the way to go.

I am solving the fact that I am a small business and don't have a ton of time or money to spend on my books.

Wave review by Emeka O.
Emeka O.

"Quickbooks is a very pocket friendly software!"

What do you like best?

Everything is laid out for you and easy to find. It's a one entry accounting program but it's definitely an easy and cheap solution for a small business.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. Accurate information about set up invoicing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this software to all the small business owners

Doing payroll onsite has saved the organization a lot of money instead of having it outsourced. The reports are wonderful to help us keep track of aging.

Wave review by Kenny C.
Kenny C.

"Awesome Accounting for Startups"

What do you like best?

Wave is a great accounting platform for small and startup firms. The banking integration, receipts, and invoicing functions are all top-notch. The web interface is clean and the reporting abilities are just what we need.

What do you dislike?

Wave can be slow to update transactions. It often takes a refresh or several minutes for the banking info to populate. Also, there is little forecasting here, other than possibly adding future bills for your anticipated expenses and then weighing versus your known income streams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it. You need an accounting platform anyway, Wave provides a great set of tools all in one place - without offering up your first born.

Wave has provided us with a single suite of tools for expense management as well as invoicing and other receivables, all at an unbelievable price.

Wave review by Amy V.
Amy V.

"Wave for accounting for our small business"

What do you like best?

Wave has a lot of great features that have worked well for the small business that I run with my husband. Their invoices are very customizable and easy to create, and I appreciate the reoccurring invoice feature. We have been able to keep our accounts reconciled. The dashboard gives a really good at-a-glance look at income and expenses.

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't like about Wave is that we are unable to set up billing subscriptions. Rather than having our customers whom we bill monthly have to manually pay every month, it would be so much more convenient for Wave to be able to just auto-charge a credit card we have for them on file. We also had a problem with invoicing last month and weren't even notified. It was a huge problem for us because we have many invoices that go out at the beginning of each month through automatic billing. None of these invoices went out and it created a really big mess with our billing. Another issues is that we have some very old invoices that we have taken as a loss, and would like to file them away. There is no way in Wave, besides deleting old invoices, to remove them from showing up in your invoices due. I'd like a feature where we could archive old invoices without deleting them completely.

We are a small business that needs a one-stop accounting program that will allow us to invoice our customers, accept online payments, and keep track of our expenses and income. For the most part, Wave has done the job. Being able to edit pre-existing invoices, send reminders,

Wave review by Todd E.
Todd E.

"We switched over to wave to manage our receivables."

What do you like best?

I like that it is web-based which allows us to access it from any computer/operating system. The user interface is super easy to use and it seems easy to customize.

What do you dislike?

We often break our prices down into a down payment and then monthly payments for so many months to pay it off interest free. Wave does not have a good way to handle this. There are some tricks you can do to force it to kinda show the customer what you want but it is not convenient at all. It would be nice if it could manage a reducing balance and payment schedule.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a free product it is really sweet with only a few shortcomings that will not apply to all businesses. Although it seems that there have been tickets open for those shortcomings for years and they have never been addressed.

Invoicing and tracking of receivables. Also as we are a fairly new user there are several features to the product that we haven’t tried out yet so hopefully there are more benefits to come.

Wave review by Sean S.
Sean S.

"Easy to Use Invoicing and Tracking"

What do you like best?

I am constantly sending out invoices for work completed and Wave gives me the opportunity to do so with many options. I can send paper invoices, digital invoices via email, or the ability to pay online.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes get lost in the interface. Just when I seem to have it down there is another update and I have to get used to it again. It's a small price to pay for great software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is by far the easiest way to invoice customers with an online payment option. I had been doing it by hand for years and was pleasantly surprised when I found Wave.

Billing and tracking are the top problems I am solving with Wave. It's the easiest solution I have found for invoicing.

Wave review by lynh t.
lynh t.

"Decent for Sending Out Recurring Invoices"

What do you like best?

The recurring invoices feature was the reason I started using Wave.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is slow and they use a third party to manage certain elements, which is fine. But every transaction I had showed up as a duplicate transaction showing up on my account, which made it incredibly difficult to keep track of my balance. I contacted their customer support multiple times, and was told that this was a third party handling this issue. They never got back to me about the issue, and I eventually left Wave because of this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better customer support! And fix the duplicate transactions!

Recurring Invoices feature was nice.

Wave review by Steve R.
Steve R.

"Wave makes invoicing easy for my business"

What do you like best?

I like the way it handles invoices in mobile. I do IT consulting work, so the first time in a month I visit a client, I create an invoice. Each time I visit during the month, I just add to that invoice. Then on the last day of the month, I hit send on all the draft invoices. It's really simple and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was better for reconciling my accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for creating and tracking invoices. I'm not really sure how it is for payment processing as I don't use that feature.

Ease of creating invoices and tracking receipts.

Wave review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Invoicing Simplified"

What do you like best?

The ability to invoice with immediate payment options has been a great boon to my billing workflow. I used to invoice separately for each client and not have saved procedures/items. The direct link to get paid via Wave's system has also increased the turn around time on some clients payment schedules. I love how simple easy the process is with varied levels of automation.

What do you dislike?

If you are looking for a high powered accounting software like quickbooks, this isn't the best system. I know I am not using it to the fullest power and I haven't been through a tax season with it yet, but I am a little nervous about the organization of the WAVE accounting side. While not overly complicated, it isn't intuitive either. It is nice to be able to take pictures of receipts and store them to your profile though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invoicing is great. If you have complicated accounting, this may not be the system for you.

Speed of billing and invoicing has been drastically increased as well as the ease of receiving payments though WAVE.

Wave review by Kaile B.
Kaile B.

"Simple Web Based Invoicing "

What do you like best?

Easy desktop and app platforms. Can upload your logo, create recurring invoices, track reports, accounts payable and receivable, all in a super easy format.

What do you dislike?

Which recurring invoices would populate with the next invoice number in the sequence for that specific customer.

Makes invoicing easier, especially since you can just email the invoice directly to the company and they can even pay through credit card or bank if they want.

Wave review by Agency in Graphic Design
Agency in Graphic Design

"Free bookkeeping solution for small businesses & solo entrepreneurs"

What do you like best?

Invoicing has a really nice interface, payments are well organized, receipts can be uploaded and saved. Linking to bank accounts shows account balances and transactions.

What do you dislike?

I'd like to be able to delete a customer from my list of customers without deleting any invoices I've sent them. I also don't find it very intuitive to track expenses/purchases. I also would like to see some sort of interaction with PayPal -- we have clients who prefer PayPal, and there is no option for that on our invoices. There is no integration with project management software -- a partnership with Basecamp would be awesome, and would make them competitive with 17 Hats. Also am not a fan of their lackluster customer support -- real support is only provided with the paid account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wave is strictly for accounting/bookkeeping. It's not too complicated for those of us who would rather be creating than operating a business, though the expense-tracking feature could be improved. Excellent for easy invoicing.

I really like the polished, professional invoicing -- looks good on mobile, too. I like that I can set auto reminders to clients who haven't paid, and I can set up automatically recurring invoicing.

Wave review by User

"Good Free Accounting Software for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

Easier to understand than Sage which my accountant uses; import CSV files from bank; invoicing and receiving payment direct with Stripe.

What do you dislike?

I failed to get bank syncing to work out for me; uploading CSV files recently 'timed out' and crashed a lot (maybe 4 out of 5 attempts)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I enjoy using it - it's easy, frequent updates to bring even more ease of functions to the user - and it's free. Customers can pay direct with stripe too which is very useful.

Taking control of my book-keeping myself with a system more geared to small-businesses than Sage.

Wave review by Brian R.
Brian R.

"Simple Free Online Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Wave offers a simple way to keep track of finances from multiple sources. It offers various categorization for income and expenses, and a "dashboard" which shows your finances from the last year or two at a glace. Also provided are built in invoices, bill reminders and accounting reports.

What do you dislike?

Occasional connection errors and lack of an undo when deleting or verifying transactions can be an inconvenience if errors are made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free, so there's no downside to trying it out if your looking for some cheap effective accounting software. Once it's all setup, its very easy to use.

I use wave to keep track of my business's income and expenses. As Wave is browser based, I can access it on the go as well.

Wave review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Convenient solution for credit card processing"

What do you like best?

Flat, transparent processing fee and consistent 2 day payouts. Link to pay embedded within my invoices.

What do you dislike?

Accounting features can get in the way (I don't use them but can't disconnect them)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't vouch for Wave as a full-service accounting platform, but as an "add-on" service to Quickbooks or another accounting software that simply handles your credit card processing, it makes life much easier.

Accepting credit card payments. The benefit is that I don't have to go through the hassle of having a merchant account. Everything gets processed easily online.

Wave review by Logan W.
Logan W.

"Affordable small business bookkeeping"

What do you like best?

Free bookkeeping software for small business. Thousands of bank connections available through Yodlee feeds. Payroll is a paid feature, but it is optional.

What do you dislike?

I don't find it as intuitive as other bookkeeping software. For example, we have a mortgage setup as a bank connection, but Wave did not add this to the long-term liabilities on the balance sheet. I did have some trouble connecting one of the banks feeds, but Wave quickly responded to address the issue.

Convenience and integrity of automated bank transaction imports cannot be overstated.

Wave review by Maxime L.
Maxime L.

"Scan receipt so easily"

What do you like best?

Scanning receipts with a picture is breeze. Auto text recognition works pretty great and is accurate almost 2 times on 3. We can also transfer email receipts to wave in order to have them recognized easily. This is the main reason why I'm using Wave.

What do you dislike?

There is no possibility to use the payroll feature for Quebec residents. It is less likely to be a good choice when you have a few employees.

We needed a simple app to use for non-accountants, but that accountants would be able to use easily.

Wave review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Easy invoicing for freelancers"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. Nice design and works well on desktop and mobile. You input your info and it spits out an invoice that you email directly to clients. Very convenient to produce invoices quickly from anywhere.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything. Works as it should and very easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for freelancers or small business owners.

It solves the problem of keeping track of billing and payments. Benefits include cloud storage of past invoices, easy and fast invoicing for clients, and ability to see an overall view of your transactions.

Wave review by User in Textiles
User in Textiles

"Great Product for small business"

What do you like best?

I love that Wave has simplified a product like Quickbooks and made it friendly for a small business, maker, craftsperson to use - and it's free!

What do you dislike?

That Wav charges you a 3% fee to process card transactions, but I suppose they have to make money somewhere in the process

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great choice if you are starting out and don't need something as big/complicated as quickbooks to run your business

I am able to create estimates and invoices and store all related info in the app so it's not floating around randomly on my desktop

Wave review by User

"Easiest Accounting Platform for Small Business Owners"

What do you like best?

Easy to use platform, and Wave hosts webinars and forums to help their customers to understand different features. I love the ability to have my invoicing and accounting in one place.

What do you dislike?

Automatic bank connections seem to be glitchy sometimes. This has been improving and I'm seeing this happen less often lately, but it is a bit frustrating when it happens.

So much easier to do my accounting with Wave than with other platforms like Quicken. I feel like I have a much better grasp of my finances now that I'm using Wave.

Wave review by Tim C.
Tim C.

"Inexpensive and not very full featured, makes frequent errors in download transactions"

What do you like best?

Free price

Relatively decent client invoicing and payment card processing tools and pricing

What do you dislike?

Frequently fails to fully download all transactions from my bank account, resulting in hours of wasted work finding and fixing errors in the downloads

No automatic expense category assignment for downloaded transactions

basic bookkeeping

customer invoicing

payment card processing

Wave review by Spencer M.
Spencer M.

"Free, creates professional invoices quick, and does simple accounting "

What do you like best?

- Free

- Invoices are quick, look professional.

- Credit card payment is expensive but sometimes useful.

What do you dislike?

- Interface can be unwieldy.

- Wish I could keep a record of unpaid invoices without it reflecting on the balance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for invoices and simple accounting.

- Creating invoices, tracking payment

- Simple accounting

Wave review by Russ A.
Russ A.

"Bookkeeping for non-bookkeepers"

What do you like best?

Wave is designed for small businesses who manage their own accounting. And best of all, it's FREE (ad supported). Payroll does have a very reasonable cost.

What do you dislike?

The one feature I've been hoping for is the ability to split a transaction without breaking it into individual transactions, like the way Quicken and Quickbooks do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use, but it's still accounting. Carefully thinking through how you set things up will save you headaches later.

I have paid for small business accounting packages before that were far less intuitive than Wave. The people at Wave clearly understand the accounting, bookkeeping and invoicing needs of small business owners.

Wave review by Nick T.
Nick T.

"Excellent Website to track your business spending and send out invoices"

What do you like best?

Wave has a great integration with PayPal and other sources.

What do you dislike?

I would like Wave to have more integration with emails and marketing to clients giving them discounts or rewards system

Recommendations to others considering the product

move over wave has the latest tech and easy to use for any business.

The benefits are they can pay quickly and on the spot easy to send invoices or estimates.

Wave review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Perfect for a small size business! "

What do you like best?

It is a free site, and perfect for small businesses, 2-10 people office with a small volume of invoices.

allows to create professional invoices and keep track of who has paid and who I still need to collect from. Keeps all business related income and expenses in one easy to use place. A cool feature is the memorized invoices / recurring invoices that lets me just rerun the invoices next month.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike, it does what it supposed to do, for a small business, 2-10 people. There are few other services out there, Chargify for recurring, Quickbooks online for small size businesses with a fairly large volume of invoices - up to 200 per month - for more than that use QuickBooks Enterprise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good for a small office / business with up to 200 invoices per month.

- send invoices to my customers in a very easy way

- they allow complete customization of invoices

- invoices look very professional.

- Easy tracking of each invoice- when, where was sent

- reminders to check on invoices

- the online feature - the product is fully online, so you can access from anywhere - very helpful

Wave review by Chris W.
Chris W.

"Great for setting up accounting"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and continue to add new features to enhance customer service.

What do you dislike?

Not really much to dislike at this point. A little more report customization would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good product to help you manage the accounting for your business. It allows you to connect accounts and to generate invoices. You can manage your AR and AP and generate reports to track your business.

I use Wave for expenses, reimbursement and customer billing. I also generate reports for taxes.

Wave review by Paul F.
Paul F.

"Awesome for Single Member LLC"

What do you like best?

Everything required for a small business. Since I have a single-member (pass-through) LLC, I do not have a payroll tax so Wave is free to use!

After I took some time to customize invoices, customers, and importing a business bank account I only spend about 5 minutes every month verifying transactions. Profit and Loss reports are available for taxes too.

What do you dislike?

Performance is a little slow when navigating between pages, but it's well worth the free price tag.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free (if not using payroll), and provides everything needed for quarterly/annual taxes. It will not automatically calculate and send taxes, but it only takes 5 minutes to do this yourself if your CPA gives you tax percentages and you sign up for IRS electronic payments.

Electronic accounting, small business accounting and invoicing.

Wave review by Shayna J.
Shayna J.

"Excellent Software"

What do you like best?

It is a simple-to-use software. I love the mobile apps for iPhone.

To add to this, I do not use Wave in my capacity as Administrator at Custom Music Lessons. I use it for my own Administrative Services company. Please keep this in mind as you read my review.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit slow. I find that there's a delay whenever creating or updating an invoice that is a little annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great software to consider if you need a free version. It also has great pro features for a nominal charge. I especially love their partnership with Stripe for credit card payments.

It makes bookkeeping easy for me. I have multiple clients and each of them has their own Wave account. It's a free service, essentially, and I like that.

Wave review by User in Animation
User in Animation

"A great free app full of tools to make you life a whole lot easier when it comes to accounting"

What do you like best?

Well first off its FREE,

I've not found anything even remotely close to the level of waves app, especially not for free at least.

But I really love all the seamless integration they've included, such as syncing bank accounts, and uploading receipts directly from the free mobile app.

What do you dislike?

occasionally I've had internet banking problems when syncing bank accounts however overall the app works great. There could be a little more help but nothing really outweighs the task of having to do accounting itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a must have for any start-up business owners looking for an inexpensive and simpler way to take care of their accounting them selves.

Running my own business has been made so much simpler after discovering this app, it's no walk in the park, but I'm not sure how well I would have gotten on without it.

Wave review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great for freelancers!"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn, intuitive interface makes getting started a breeze! I was able to upgrade my bookkeeping techniques and records with expensive outsourcing. I love being able to do it all myself.

What do you dislike?

The iOS apps were not useful when I first began using the product, but the upgrades have improved this. Otherwise, a great product.

I needed a simple way to invoice clients and track payments, as well as follow up on outstanding invoices. Wave made it all simple - and was free!

Wave review by Administrator in Executive Office
Administrator in Executive Office

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

This was the first billing app I tried, and I love it. My invoices look great, and my clients can easily pay via ACH, PayPal, or any major credit card.

What do you dislike?

I wish there weren't a fee for clients who pay with credit cards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't had any difficulties, so I've had no reason to contact Support.

This keeps all of my billing in one convenient place, and once my business grows a bit, I plan to use it for accounting as well.

Wave review by Tommy P.
Tommy P.

"Easy Invoicing and Receipts"

What do you like best?

The invoicing feature in Wave is really great. Additionally, the apps available for mobile are very helpful in sending invoices on the fly to clients. I like the bank account integration as well, which automatically imports my transactions, and at least attempts to sort them into correct categories.

What do you dislike?

In the basic configuration, Wave doesn't support some of the more complex things of accounting. For example, there is no scheduled deprecation list that tracks how much of an asset has been depreciated, and there is no stockholder loan or distribution account. These can be set up, but with a bit of difficulty.

Also, many transactions come into the wrong account. It's not a huge deal, but certain vendors I use ALL the time end up in the wrong category. I can manually fix them, but it would be nice to have an option to save that vendor in a certain category.

Some transactions seem to be doubled regularly, such as transfers between accounts and invoice payments and deposits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you aren't sure, have someone help set your accounts up. Also, strongly monitor transfers, and deposits doubling with invoice payments.

I can invoice clients faster than ever before, and keep tracks of all of my expenses that come through on a card, and have all of my accounts shown in one place.

Wave review by User

"Making Payroll + Invoicing super easy"

What do you like best?

Invoice creation and payment are quick to do and easy to keep track of.

Payroll - You don't have to worry about federal and provincial taxes and timing of submissions. Wave can automatically calculate and submit taxes for you and create the necessary documents for you (T4s, pay slips, etc.).

What do you dislike?

Cannot process payments in different currencies.

Helps you bring together and manage all the critical financial elements of running a business

Wave review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Ride the WAVE - Bookkeeping for newbies ..."

What do you like best?

Simple to get started and set up. Easy to use with little to no accounting experience and a host of experts available to assist you.

What do you dislike?

No check printing feature for the three bills a year that I have to write a check for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be clear on what you expect the product to do. It is not an all inclusive inventory tracking mechanism.

I love and appreciate the mobile apps that allow me to keep up to date on the go. I also like the ability to track multiple business in one place - as well as personal expenses. The receipts app for my phone means I don't track tons of pieces of paper either!

Wave review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Couldn't ask for more in a free accounting experience"

What do you like best?

I love that Wave is free, that it's linked to my bank account and easily helps me keep track of money that's coming and going. I find the analytics tools so helpful to understand where my money's going.

What do you dislike?

I don't use Wave's invoicing option in favor of Square. I find Wave's processing rate higher than other app options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Wave if you don't have the funds for a full-time accountant and feel you can handle your finances yourself, with a wee bit of help from this platform.

The business problem I'm solving is running a small business without an accountant on board. Using Wave, I'm able to be my own accountant and feel totally confident that my business is safe.

Wave review by User in Textiles
User in Textiles

"Why Wave is a great system..."

What do you like best?

This is a great system especially for those running small businesses or even the hobbyist that want to track details and create personalized professional looking invoice and stationery.

Great features for a free service

What do you dislike?

Not sure if Wave can sync with all banks in all countries yet which means for those in a 'minority' country bank payments etc have to be added manually.

I'm still trying to work the Wave app on my phone

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great free system for those wanting to maintain a professional image. Take the time to set-up and personalize your invoice and other stationery

Because I'm new to the small business from home field, I find Wave great for helping me maintain a professional image but keeping my running costs down.

Wave review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Nice Tool, but pretty slow"

What do you like best?

Easy to use for the non-accounting professional. Nice interface.

What do you dislike?

Wish that there were more reporting options. For example, I would like a P&L for the quarter or year that gave me a column for each month, instead of just totals. Right now, I need to run a separate report for each month to get the breakdown. Also, seems to run slowly. I spend a lot of time clicking and waiting for it to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a very basic accounting platform that may meet your needs and no or little cost. Worth trying before you opt for a more complex and expensive alternative.

Enables me to produce the accounting reports I need to analyze business income and expenses.

Wave review by Phil O.
Phil O.

"Simple way to track business finances for non-accountants"

What do you like best?

Simple initial setup, plenty of in-built reports, and easy to complete the basic day-to-day business tasks.

What do you dislike?

Limited abilities to edit general ledger transactions, some processes are too simplified and eliminate ability to add detail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good starter solution for small organisations. Definitely give it a try!

Transitioned a regional, cause-based non-profit from ad-hoc recordkeeping to Wave Accounting with Stripe Payments integration. Return on investment was immediate, with staff time dramatically reduced for invoicing, followup, and payment processing. Invoices were paid faster and deadbeat accounts were rapidly flagged.

Wave review by Mason L.