WebDrive File Access Client

5.0
(3 reviews)

WebDrive lets you edit files on corporate SFTP and SharePoint Servers as easily as editing any file on your computer.

Work for WebDrive File Access Client?

Learning about WebDrive File Access Client?

WebDrive File Access Client Reviews

Ask WebDrive File Access Client a Question
Showing 3 WebDrive File Access Client reviews
WebDrive File Access Client review by Steve J.
Steve J.

"Indispensable for Scholarship Using Citavi and a Personal NAS"

What do you like best?

I love being able to access folders on my QNAP TS-251A NAS using a Windows drive letter, as if the cloud storage were connected directly to my laptop as a local drive. It's also unexpectedly fast, and I often work with large PDF's. Once I set WebDrive up to connect to my NAS, every time that I open Directory Opus (my preferred file manager, although you can use File Explorer or anything else), I can navigate and move files around between folders as easily as if I were working with local folders.

Currently, I use secure FTP. In the future, I plan to set up secure WebDAV, which supports file locking, and will make collaborating with other scholars easier. (We won't risk overwriting each other's changes.) WebDrive supports a variety of protocols, including secure FTP and secure WebDAV.

I especially like that WebDrive shows the user a dialog box with the request/response dialogue from its initial handshaking with a server, so that you can debug any errors. The product has never crashed on me and is transparent. It's far better than a dedicated FTP client.

The most important benefit is that it has made available all 4 TB of remote storage on my NAS to me, as if it were local storage, so that I never have to worry about running out of space on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What do you dislike?

The properties dialog box, which lets you configure connectivity information for a server, could be improved a little. For instance, there is a section called "General Host Settings," where you enter the IP of the server. Confusingly, you can't enter the port number there. Instead, you have to go to another section, "Connection Settings."

"Connection Settings" is also a bit strange. It has a checkbox: "[ ] Use default port [ ]." If the checkbox is checked, it defaults to port 21 (the default FTP port). If it's unchecked, you can enter another port number. I would move that field to the "General Host Settings" section, eliminate the checkbox, and just let the user enter whichever port they desire, with the default being pre-populated.

In general, I would reorganize the properties dialog box to make it more efficient for the user to set new sites up. I would group the many options differently by focusing on the typical use cases that the user is likely to have, and making those quick and straightforward to get through. I'd also add help text when a user hovers over an option, to explain what some of the less obvious options do.

There is also a limitation that might have something to do with the secure FTP protocol, but I'm uncertain. Some of my folders are named using diacritical marks, for instance: Résumés. However, in WebDrive, that folder appears as: Résumés. Perhaps this is because the FTP protocol can't handle Unicode characters. If possible, it would great to get this fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a personal NAS or want to be able to mount any cloud storage that WebDrive supports on your computer, WebDrive is the perfect solution. It's inexpensive, fast, stable, and just works. There's no better way to expand limited storage on your personal device than to be able to edit files on the cloud directly, as if they resided on your computer.

I'm a graduate student in philosophy at the University of MIssouri-St. Louis. I use Citavi (https://citavi.com/en/) on my Surface Pro 4 to store journal articles and books (PDF's), and enable me to easily and efficiently cite them. Any data loss would be catastrophic, so I store all of my Citavi files on my personal NAS, a QNAP TS-251A, which is also synchronized with a local folder on my Surface using QNAP's Qsync utility.

The problem with this is that research projects can get quite large, and it's easy to run out of local storage space on my Surface. I began investigating ways of accessing files directly on the NAS without synchronizing them, and found WebDrive. Now, I connect Citavi to my NAS using the secure FTP protocol, through WebDrive. This approach lets me use as much cloud storage as I have (4 TB) without worrying about running out of space on my Surface's 256 GB SSD.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about WebDrive File Access Client
WebDrive File Access Client review by Vikramjit Singh R.
Vikramjit Singh R.

"Excellent for connecting to the Secure FTP server "

What do you like best?

Connecting to my university servers and transfer/access of files over a secure SSH connection.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I believe It fulfilled my needs of accessing files remotely over a SSH connection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seamless access and transfer of files over a secure SSH connection

I am a graduate student and do molecular simulation. I typically work with a lot of data and at times have to overview and work with multiple files at a time. All of files (which are a lot) are located on the university servers which I can access remotely using the Webdrive FAS. I am able to Mount SFTP as a virtual drive and access the files, it works like a charm. I can interact with my files and data on the university server in the same way as I would with the files locally stored on my computer. This is very beneficial to me as I do not need to be in the office to access, organize and edit my files and directories and can work from home, on holidays or when I am gone to a conference.

What Cloud File Storage solution do you use?

WebDrive File Access Client review by José A.
José A.

"WebDrive usage in real world"

What do you like best?

Well, my approach for this review will be as simply as it need to be.

WebDrive just simply works!

Moving several TB's of data between my internal network ftp mapped drives and Internet and... it simply works.

Never got a disconnected drive.

Never got installation drive out of disk space due to log files.

And all of this in trial mode!

Just guessing what i can get in purchased mode :)

Hope this can help you out.

Cheers

What do you dislike?

For now, 0 (zero) problems.

I will keep using it. I believe that i abuse WebDrive due to the amount of data i move around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it!

You won't be disappointed.

I have some NAS on me, and the easy way i found to keep my work going was to try WebDrive software!

As i stated before, till now i have no problems at all.

There are not enough reviews of WebDrive File Access Client for G2 Crowd to provide buying insight. Below are some alternatives with more reviews:

WinSCP Logo
WinSCP
(80 reviews)
WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for Windows (only for Windows). Its main function is file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality.
Azure File Storage Logo
Azure File Storage
4.0
(33 reviews)
Azure File offers fully managed file shares in the cloud, accessible via the industry standard Server Message Block (SMB) protocol. Azure File shares is mounted concurrently by cloud or on-premises deployments of Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Amazon Elastic File System Logo
Amazon Elastic File System
3.9
(43 reviews)
Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS) is a storage system that provides simple, scalable file storage for use with Amazon EC2 instances in the AWS Cloud with easy to use and offers a simple interface that allows to create and configure file systems quickly and easily.
Cyberduck Logo
Cyberduck
3.8
(23 reviews)
Cyberduck is a libre server and cloud storage browser for Mac and Windows with support for FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, Backblaze B2, Microsoft Azure & OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox.
Google Cloud Filestore Logo
Google Cloud Filestore
(4 reviews)
Cloud Filestore is a managed file storage service for applications that require a filesystem interface and a shared filesystem for data. Filestore gives users a simple, native experience for standing up managed Network Attached Storage (NAS) with their Google Compute Engine and Kubernetes Engine instances. The ability to fine-tune Filestore's performance and capacity independently leads to predictably fast performance for your file-based workloads.
IBM Cloud File Storage Logo
IBM Cloud File Storage
(4 reviews)
IBM Cloud file storage leads the industry in performance cost ratios, security and versatility. And now you can try a volume with your current projects. For a limited time, get 1 TB of file storage endurance tiers at .25, 2, 4 or 10 IOPS with 1 TB of snapshot space.
Datto NAS Logo
Datto NAS
3.7
(3 reviews)
Datto NAS is a smart, scalable network attached storage platform, centrally managed and protected by the secure Datto Cloud. Easily share files and folders on the local network and replicate NAS snapshots to the Datto Cloud without any additional infrastructure investment. Store more locally, secure it, and back it up to the Cloud forever with our Infinite Cloud Protection option
Rackspace Cloud Files Logo
Rackspace Cloud Files
4.0
(3 reviews)
Cloud Files provides online object storage for files and media, delivering them globally at blazing speeds over a worldwide content delivery network (CDN). You can store as many files as you wantÔøΩ even very large files.
Micro Focus Storage Manager Logo
Micro Focus Storage Manager
(2 reviews)
Micro Focus Storage Manager is designed to allow users to manage complexity and growth, improve storage utilization and reduce cost, and align storage service to business needs.
Synology DiskStation Manager Logo
Synology DiskStation Manager
4.8
(3 reviews)
DiskStation Manager is a data storage platform that comes with a completely private collaboration suite.

Learning about WebDrive File Access Client?

* We monitor all WebDrive File Access Client reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.