WebStorm

WebStorm is a lightweight yet powerful IDE, perfectly equipped for complex client-side development and server-side development with Node.js.

Work for WebStorm?

Learning about WebStorm?

WebStorm Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 218 WebStorm reviews
WebStorm review by <span>Matteo M.</span>
Matteo M.

"Best web IDE"

What do you like best?

I have been using the products of the "Storm" series for quite some time to be able to say that they are very stable and constantly updated, I can make the best use of them to build what I imagine. I can not do without it. Before I came across these products, I did not have a favorite IDE to use in place of another. Now, however, when I happen to have to use a PC not mine, I immediately install WebStorm! The best!

What do you dislike?

In the previous paragraph I told the positive aspects of the software, now instead I discuss the negative sides. I had when I started to use it some problems with the installation of plugins, maybe even to display php in addition to html, css and JavaScript. Despite this I found the solution to my problems by doing a little research on the internet. I found a guide and it all worked out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The purchase of this software is recommended. It even offers a free student license. Really great!

I use it whenever there is need compared to competitors is very fluid and at the start is instantaneous. Very quick in any matter.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about WebStorm
WebStorm review by <span>Shawn T.</span>
Shawn T.

"Good IDE for Node and Javascript"

What do you like best?

WebStorm is packed with features you'd expect from an IntelliJ IDE. Some of these features are:

WebStorm offers code completion, suggesting what you might possibly be meaning to type in, which is helpful.

It offers a built in debugger, supporting FireFox and Google Chrome, which is extremely helpful for web development. It helps eliminate the need to switch back and forth between WebStorm and some debugger application.

It has support for external frameworks such as Node, Google App Engine, React, Express, and many more.

As with every IntelliJ IDE I have used, it has a great library of plugins and supports installing plugins from disk.

My favorite feature that it offers is the UI customization, allowing me to use the Dracula theme, which is perfect as I have a hard time seeing on lighter backgrounds.

Another great feature with WebStorm is the ability to commit and push to GIT repos right in the application itself.

What do you dislike?

While WebStorm is definitely full of features and my go-to Node/JS IDE, it does have some issues and drawbacks.

As with every IntelliJ IDE I have used, WebStorm does have a pretty large memory footprint. It also can take some time to start up.

When accessing multiple projects, each one is opened in a separate instance, which, again, can impact performance.

Most IntelliJ IDEs allow you to import a project from files on a remote server, however with WebStorm this isn't possible. You must first create a local project, then navigate through the menus to find the deployment options, and add the server and download the files. Added servers are per project instead of throughout the IDE as a while, to me, this is the biggest drawback/annoyance with WebStorm.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this IDE if you plan on developing with JavaScript, Node, or similar.

We had recently switched from using PHP as our back-end to Node and WebStorm helped with the development, allowing us to develop the back-end quicker and more effectively than other alternative IDEs.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

WebStorm review by <span>Pushpandra P.</span>
Pushpandra P.

"Best IDE for front-end development "

What do you like best?

Webstorm is probably one of the best IDE's I have ever used in my life. It comes with numerous fantastic features. A few of the features, I like in Webstorm are:

1.) Autocompletion: Its very hard to find an IDE which can provide autocompletion for even Javascript, but Webstorm does that for us. When I was not using Webstorm, I always had to look for the syntex on the internet, but thanks to Webstorm autocompletion features. Saves a lot of time.

2.) Inbuilt debugger: Very helpful for web development. You don't need to switch back and fourth between browser and IDE, as Webstorm comes with inbuilt debugger which you can use to debug your application. It has support for firefox and chrome. I am not sure about the other browsers.

3.) Support for external frameworks: It provides a greate support for external frameworks such as, Google App Engine, Angular JS, React, Node, Express and many more.

4.) Customization is possible: You can infact add custom menu as per your needs. This is sometimes very helpful and handy.

What do you dislike?

Although, webstorm has several wonderful features, but there are a few areas which can be improved:

1.) It takes quite a bit of time to open up at the first time.

2.) It doesn't open multiple projects in one IDE. If I need two projects to be opened, Webstorm open it in two separate IDE which is performance intensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommended. Especially for front end development. Makes life very easy.

We use Webstorm for day-to-day software/web development

WebStorm review by <span>Shridhar P.</span>
Shridhar P.

"Probably the best JS IDE there is"

What do you like best?

-Debugger inside the ide (connect to chrome and firefox debugger)

-You can bind commands and programs to the ide. Then you can assign shortcut and menus to those commands and programs (super useful for custom grunt/gulp workflow)

-Build to be keyboard-centric, every menu is searchable, all shortcut can be changed, a new shortcut can be added.

-It has great git, svn and mercurial support (multiple branch management, log, blame, history and more)

-Support Typescript out of the box

-Plugin manager out of the box

-File watcher execute commands when your files change (use fewer resources than node watch)

-The UI is 100% customizable and offer out of the box a few great themes.

What do you dislike?

1. Takes a few seconds to open for the first time (unless you have an SSD)

2. Tries to reopen a new ide every time you open a file outside a project. (you can use scratch files instead of most of those cases)

3. Cost money

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best IDEs around when it comes to web development.

Everything is customizable within the settings GUI (no config file to learn and maintain, the ide does it for you)

Awesome search engine (shift+shift will search in everything, files, function, variables, menu, settings, action, etc)

All developers use Webstorm.

The quality of work has improved due to the high customizability of Webstorm. As each developer is unique, they need to customize their IDE according to them.

WebStorm’s Settings dialog it’s known for its live search feature. If you don’t agree with the way that WebStorm indents your code, you can simply type “indent” and the tool will only select the categories related to indenting code.

WebStorm review by <span>sravani y.</span>
sravani y.

"Review about WebStorm"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to write the code without any complexity. For more complicated projects also, we can easily write and debug the code. We can easily identify the errors by using analysis feature. It's very useful to write the nodejs code. As a beginner of nodejs I struggled with the syntax, in Webstorm It's very easy to handle the syntax problems.

What do you dislike?

It takes lots of time to creating a new project as well as to open an existed project. Some times it will get struct while coding.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very useful for large scale projects. After completion of coding, we can easily store the code in GitHub. For beginners of a new language, it's very helpful as they don't know much about the syntax. Error handling is easy.

For large scale projects Webstorm is very useful to write the code. We can easily connect to the GitHub and clone the projects. After writing the code we can easily store in GitHub.

WebStorm review by <span>Matt H.</span>
Matt H.

"A great IDE for Node and Javascript development"

What do you like best?

WebStorm has a fantastic indexing engine that really helps autocomplete, refactoring, and navigation through a given codebase. You can simply open a directory (whether it be for a single project or multiple) and WebStorm will quickly organize everything appropriately.

WebStorm also features a best-in-class Javascript debugger, both for server and client (browser) code. It can plug into Chrome, Opera, etc.

It's very easy to use, and developers will be able to get up and running quickly.

What do you dislike?

Because WebStorm is written in Java, it can get a bit sluggish and become very resource intensive depending on the size of the project. As a result, it's important to keep the number of open JS apps/projects to a reasonable minimum.

There are so many preferences and options in WebStorm, it can be difficult to know which things you should change. Additionally, some preferences are specific to the project whereas others are global, and the difference is not always easy to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're doing Javascript development, WebStorm and Visual Studio Code are two of the best options depending on need. WebStorm may edge out VS Code for those needing more advanced features, enterprise support, etc. Look at both and choose the one which makes the most sense in terms of need.

After using a number of other IDEs (e.g. Eclipse), I can say that WebStorm is one of the best. It provides a really good focus on Javascript and shines where other IDEs fail.

My company is using WebStorm to build modern, microservice architecture-based systems built atop Node.js on the server and popular Javascript frameworks on the browser.

After using Eclipse for a time, we're realizing faster and more efficient development cycles, because we don't have to fight against an IDE that was designed to "do everything." WebStorm is focused on making JS development easy, and it does that with aplomb.

Learning about WebStorm?

* We monitor all WebStorm reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.