Wekan

Wekan is an open source project management tool.

Work for Wekan?

Learning about Wekan?

Wekan Reviews

Showing 14 Wekan reviews
Wekan review by Thomas B. R.
Thomas B. R.

"For the privacy conscious and those who prefer open source solutions"

What do you like best?

Wekan is still in its infancy. As of me writing this review they haven't released a 1.0 yet. Yet it already has a lot going for it.

There are situations where a publicly hosted solution, like Trello, is not viable. I was in that situation myself. Sadly that was before Wekan was born; looking back I'd have chosen Wekan instead of another open source self hosted solution, that had some rough edges.

If you have the in house expertise it is easy enough to customize, as it's open source software.

In addition it doesn't come with a price tag attached.

What do you dislike?

It still grows and one should check carefully if it provides all the needed features.

It would be nice if more people, especially companies would contribute to it. That would really boost development and help it gain features.

You can self-host it.

It can be hosted on a private network to satisfy confidentiality requirements.

It's open source, which means its source code can be audited, but also modified to fit specific requirements.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Wekan
Wekan review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"Wekan is cool and simple to use"

What do you like best?

Maxime has done a great job with Wekan, it's simple to use and clutter free. It behaves quite intuitively, and being open source has the flexibility to be adapted or integrated with other tools in the toolbox.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much to dislike, it could do with some additional features such as multiple swim lanes, counters on boards (in board listing view)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth a look, quick to get up and running, new users will take to it quickly, much less complex than tools like JIRA

I use it to help me manage my personal projects as well as some collaborations with friends. The learning curve is so short that people can get value out of it very quickly rather than needing to get their heads around new concepts.

Part of the benefit to using Wekan is access to the source code, as I can make my own modifications to it to add features (although I have not needed to yet)

What Task Management solution do you use?

Wekan review by Gaël A.
Gaël A.

"Easy and simple kanban board"

What do you like best?

Really easy to use and to understand, yet powerfull.

It focus on the basics things and do it well. The user interface is nice and easy to handle even for non tech person. It's a small project management tool for... small project.

It's free (as in free beer) and open source. You can host it on modest server, it's easy to install.

What do you dislike?

With few to no customisation possible big projects can be a mess to manage. There is no per user authorisations.

You will need one board per project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind this is a real kanban board, as in real life someone from the team can delete the tasks.

The software is about a board with lists filled by tasks if that's engouh for you that's good ! If you hope to find evoluated administration panel, fine user authorisation and cost measuring stuffs, move along.

The soft is free and licenced under MIT licence, feel free to modify and re-share it !

For agiles teams, and small group of people working on small project Wekan may help you organise your workflow.

Wekan review by Kenton H.
Kenton H.

"Wekan is a great product, but it is still early and definitely not enterprise ready."

What do you like best?

It's a fully fleshed out Kanban board system, similar to Trello. I like it more than Trello because it is free, open-source, and self-hosted (meaning my data stays my data). It also looks much better and more professional in my opinion, where Trello looks somewhat childish.

What do you dislike?

It's still a work-in-progress, so some core things that an organization would want to use are missing. For example, an administrative user who can manage the system and control user accounts. Since there is currently no way to restrict user sign-ups, I host my instance behind an HTTP authenticated nginx reverse proxy, but this isn't ideal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an alternative to Trello, Wekan is great. If you don't have the technical skills to follow along at https://github.com/wekan/wekan/wiki/Install-and-Update or don't have your own server to run it off of, it's probably not for you.

I use Wekan for most of my project management needs. It lets me quickly and easily set up tasks and things to do, and the ease of use helps me stay organizing.

Wekan review by Ketan B.
Ketan B.

"Excellent replacement for Trello. Customisable and fast!"

What do you like best?

Since it is an open source kanban board, I can customise it the way I want. Host it on my system and use it. The board also has a lot of bells and whistles, but a low memory footprint.

Other than that, it is a perfect tool for team management.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such, all seems to be fine. It delivers what it promises.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it if you want your own implementation of Trello

Wekan allows me to manage my team and their tasks better. Everyone understands what is everybody else doing, it feels all open. I like Wekan as a tool as it lets me focus on what is important at present, as all the tasks are logged on the boards, I can get my next task from there.

Kanban boards are a good way to be productive as a team, or individually.

Wekan review by Pranu S.
Pranu S.

"Mildly amused"

What do you like best?

The fact that wekan is open source and i being a coder can expand on its features in anyway i like and i also dont have to pay a thing to store my data as it gets recorded on my computer only

What do you dislike?

Didnt really like The design altogether. I know it is inspired from Trello. But when i am in a board and open a card then close it, and then press The back button instead of taking me back to the dashboard it opens the card again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better than Trello if you can tinker with code a bit

I am trying to build a team collaboration tool for small businesses myself. And wekan helped a lot in underatanding the procedure in many ways.

Wekan review by Nick P.
Nick P.

"A suitable replacement for Trello with the ability to host it yourself."

What do you like best?

It is designed really well and has all of the essential features for a Kanban board.

I have been hosting it myself on DigitalOcean for months and I've never had a single problem.

The web interface is responsive and mobile-friendly.

It is free and open source.

The Wekan team has a Gitter and appears very responsive so far.

What do you dislike?

It lacks a few of the 'extra' features that Trello has like checklists, due dates, and good media integration.

No mobile app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will fulfill all of your basic needs. If you need anything fancy - it may not work out for you. However, it is open source. So, go ahead and implement the feature yourself.

Currently, I've only used it for personal projects.

Wekan review by User in Internet

"Open source Trello, marred by lacking mobile support and missing features"

What do you like best?

Essentially an open-source clone of Trello, although in some ways it is starting to branch off by itself now. Since you have control of the database and underlying code, it's quite easy to import, export, and back up your board data, which is very important. While Trello does have export functionality, it's marred by the fact that there is basically no way to import it back.

What do you dislike?

There are some missing features compared to Trello, some of which are even quite basic. For example, you cannot set due dates, and while the team has stated that they would "like to support this feature", there's no sign of it yet.

A mobile application is also essential for me, since I use systems like this to organise my life. Since Wekan doesn't have one yet, it's hard to recommend to those who need access to their lists on the go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend you come back when Wekan is generally more mature. Right now it is missing too many features to be a serious Trello competitor.

Time management. I currently use Trello for this, but I was interested in using an open source alternative so that I could have better control of my data. Wekan doesn't seem quite mature enough for this yet though.

Wekan review by Evin R.
Evin R.

"Amazing Private Trello Clone!"

What do you like best?

We own the data we create on our boards.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! Functions just as Trello does for us!

The issue of having to secure data behind our own firewall to fulfill security requirements on the enterprise level. By having a powerful tool like Wekan being a piece of open source software that fulfills the need for us owning the data we are creating, it opens us up to the possibility of using other open source tools to achieve a lot more for a lot less.

Wekan review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"Very Trello-like experience - and that is a good thing."

What do you like best?

Wekan is very reponsive. Everything happens happens instantly and the immediate feedback is great. It's very much modeled after Trello - they even use some of the same words for the concepts inside the app.

What do you dislike?

I would like Wekan to be a bit more flexible in its configuration. While it's great that it's very easy to use and deploy, sometimes you just wish for this one thing, and it's not there.

Basically, I use it to keep track of things so that nothing get swept under the rug when things get out of hand. It definitely helps to have a way of quickly wiring down tasks and assigning them to people. Labels for cards help to get an quick overall overview.

Wekan review by Robert S.
Robert S.

"Wekan Review"

What do you like best?

Local install of Trello. We use Wekan for local data, so that we don't have to trust Trello with our data.

What do you dislike?

Not as full featured as Trello. No search function. Lack of admin users. Lack of colors for backgrounds.

Wekan is great for local storage of your data when you still want to use a full featured kanban board.

Wekan is helping our group collaborate more, assign tasks and track them, and we don't have to trust anyone else with our sensitive data.

Wekan review by Raj A.
Raj A.

"wekan is one of my favorite open source project. "

What do you like best?

I like the new UI better than trello like UI,the best thing is that the code is open

What do you dislike?

The web app is not responsive and there is not mobile app for wekan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please built a Cordova or a native Android app

I am using it for my personal projects as well as in my non profit organization.. We plan all the evens conference etc in wekan..we are using wekan more like a event planning tool than a project management tool

Wekan review by Krzysztof L.
Krzysztof L.

"Using it for personal projects"

What do you like best?

easy to use, configure. The features are exactly what I need from this kind of software

What do you dislike?

The documentation on setting up the app could use a bit of more explaning

Creating personal projects, the business problems range from simple proxy to full blown apps

Wekan review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Online Kanban-style board"

What do you like best?

- Open-source, thus installable on-premise.

- Very responsive.

- Feature-complete for a standard usage.

- No learning curve if used to Trello.

What do you dislike?

- Bad keyboard accessibility, which means lost productivity.

- Permanent hosted service is hard to get quickly.

- Copy-paste of Trello UX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Double-check you don't need some of the Trello features that are available only there, such as email import or a calendar view.

Dead simple project management, without depending on an external, US-hosted service.

Learning about Wekan?

* We monitor all Wekan reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.