Westlaw

Online legal research service for legal and law related materials and services, including searches of US and international legal materials, and journals.

Work for Westlaw?

Learning about Westlaw?

Westlaw Reviews

Ask Westlaw a Question
Showing 86 Westlaw reviews
Westlaw review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

Long time litigator first time reviewer

What do you like best?

Westlaw keynotes are great. I also like the manner in which Westlaw highlights whether a case is still good law. The case references are very good and the hyperlinks are good.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say I necessarily dislike this but I do wish it was easier to attach hyperlinks into word documents for comply with Federal Court rules to use hyperlinks to case law. However, there are workarounds. Westlaw can also be pricey if you go outside your plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw can be costly but a litigator would be foolish not to have it available for use. We definitely save our clients money by using Westlaw in the amount of time save in legal research. We also save them money in that we're able to present legal arguments that might not have been discovered using other sources.

I can research almost any legal issue from my desk. The new search analytics are very good but I've been using Westlaw for over 20 years so I can also use a boolean search to find the answers to the legal issues.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Westlaw

Basic Legal Software, Slightly Disappointing

What do you like best?

I like the "look" that Westlaw presents as a software for legal research. Westlaw has a crisp appearance with everything in one place right when you log on to the software.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, although Westlaw appears to have it all, it really does not. In addition to the clunky nature of the search tools, once you actually conduct a search on Westlaw, you are vastly disappointed with few relevant results, and many non-relevant results. Westlaw fails at really recognizing what it is that people need when they conduct legal research, and instead, simply uses the basic keywords as the threshold.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is more for the casual legal research need, not for the frequent connoisseur of legal research.

When using Westlaw, it is mostly for the purpose of conducting legal research associated with either writing or with law practice. Westlaw, like other legal research software, is a means of discovering relevant legal information. Unfortunately, Westlaw really fails to appeal to the average law practice or attorney, even after incorporating features such as "suggested" searches.

What Legal Research solution do you use?

Referral to G2 Crowd from another user

Great product, very effective.

What do you like best?

I like the fact that the outlaw is very simply and not overwhelming with lots of different colors. I also like that it has a docket system, that allows you to find previous motions and pleadings filed on similar matters. Also, the amount of cases and resources that Westlaw has an advantage as well.

What do you dislike?

There are often many documents that are out of the subscription plan. Also, the legislative history can be a challenge, i think that westlaw should invest into legislative history and that way you can find many of the committee notes on hearings. I think that westlaw is comfortable in their marketshare and not doing as much to improve - i believe that in a few years, other competitors will beat them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the fact that you can contact Westlaw and get help with search terms. Take advantage of the court docket and use that when you are facing a unfamiliar issue.

I have to research case law - the benefits i found with westlaw are mostly the ease of use (relative) compared to other products.

Westlaw for students

What do you like best?

Easy to use. I particularly like that when I research a case, it's easy to find previous decisions and citing decisions. In other legal search engines, I find this harder.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to "sheperdize" on westlaw. The lexis sheperdizing tool is easier to follow, wheras in Westlaw you have to do a little more digging to identify if the case you are looking at is still good law.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what you like out of a legal research software. With Westlaw you are getting ease of use along with a robust array of precedent and future decisions per case.

Westlaw has helped me conduct legal research with efficiency, it is particularly helpful with looking up case filings and precedent cases. I also like the people search function for its detail and ease of use.

Westlaw review by <span>Danielle H.</span>
Danielle H.

Better Half of the Legal Research Duopoly

What do you like best?

The breadth of immigration law on WestLaw's platform is the best. I can generally find everything I need when conducting legal research. The interface is largely intuitive and the search bar on every page is very helpful for finding a source quickly. It gets the job done. I am confident in my ability to get the answers I need relatively quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Like all legal research platforms that actually work and have content, it is expensive. However, I can get what I need, so it's part of the cost of doing business.

They recently changed the secondary sources view. It used to be grouped better, e.g. you could click on treatises, periodicals, guides, etc., now it gives you a mammoth list. I've started using the search bar to get around this annoying piece.

I wish there was better cross referencing between the U.S. Code and the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Immigration practitioners refer to the INA all the time and its annoying to have to go to a table to correspond the sections back and forth. I called the reference attorney help line, and too look at the INA as the INA instead of in the code, I have to go out of my plan. That seems silly to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The legal research duopoly is frustrating to deal with. My advice is to always go with which platform has the best content for your practice area.

Immigration law is a constantly moving storm of law, regulations, policy memorandums and trends. It is vital to stay on top of the changes and I am confident in WestLaw's ability to get me the information I need.

Westlaw review by <span>John Kenneth C.</span>
John Kenneth C.

Westlaw is the best resource for legal professionals.

What do you like best?

The breadth of features. The Westlaw suite provides the tools that I need to be able to do my job in an efficient and productive manner. Legal research is a breeze with the myriad references available through the tool. And if I need to delve deeper, my subscription allows me to use ONE product for MANY tasks. The setup and integration into our practice was very easy - and everything worked the first time!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is nothing that I dislike about the product. Everything works as advertised and the product is an excellent value for the tools it provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perform a cost-based analysis to get a full picture of your ROI when using Westlaw. Once you see the amount of money, man-hours, and personnel resources your firm will save - the answer will be clear - go with Westlaw.

Legal reference. Legal citations. Access to law books. I don't have to spend thousands of dollars on books and writers - it is all at my fingertips with Westlaw.

Learning about Westlaw?

* We monitor all Westlaw reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.