Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Westlaw

(105 reviews)

Online legal research service for legal and law related materials and services, including searches of US and international legal materials, and journals.

Work for Westlaw?

Learning about Westlaw?

Compare Westlaw to Similar Solutions

Westlaw Reviews

Ask Westlaw a Question
Showing 106 Westlaw reviews
Westlaw review by User

"Go-To Tool for Legal Research"

What do you like best?

Westlaw's legal research system is the perfect balance of structured and intuitive. I can switch between boolean search structures and natural language, can cast a wide net or drill down to something very specific. I like that Westlaw provides suggestions to direct your research; sometimes those tips have led to helpful new information!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes items Westlaw suggests are outside of the plan we've purchased, and it's frustrating to be unable to access the documents to see if they truly are helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw does what it needs to do; it provides efficient access to legal precedent and other legal information. Because of the many ways you can sort and interpret research results in the Westlaw system, you can confidently use the platform to expand your knowledge in a particular area.

Westlaw is our starting point for legal research. The legal department uses it as a basis for providing legal advice.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Westlaw
Westlaw review by User

"Westlaw user, Lexis preferred"

What do you like best?

I like the KeyCite system best, allowing the user to view topics in a hierarchy. I also like that it is possible to receive news and legal publications via Reuter's.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the layout of the information. It is more complex to connect cases without a tool like Shepard's to distinguish later court rulings involving the case. Lexis does a better job of tying information together and I feel that it is easier to use search terms in order to find answers. Tools such as Ravel view allows an easy comparison between jurisdictions at all levels (state and Federal).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw should develop a rewards system similar to Lexis in order to incentivize new users.

Westlaw is used to facilitate legal research in our office. As a governmental office, we have a contract with Westlaw and do not have the choice between legal research providers. While I am required to use it in the office, I find myself consistently returning to my student subscription with Lexis because it is easier to use and I find results much faster than I do with Westlaw.

What Legal Research solution do you use?

Westlaw review by User

"Excellent Layout; Key Number System is Great"

What do you like best?

I really like the "History" feature when viewing cases. Visualizations are particularly helpful to me, and I like how the case history is laid on under this tab.

Secondly, I really appreciate how the index of each material is listed. This makes seeing "the big picture" really easy when navigating encyclopedias, treatises, and other secondary materials.

Thirdly, Westlaw's infamous Key Number System is absolutely incredible. Westlaw tags each case with different key numbers which can then be used to find specific topics. I love using Westlaw for this reason. The Key System makes it so much easier to hone in your search and quickly find relevant material.

What do you dislike?

Functionally, there's really nothing I would change about Westlaw. However, to be quite frank, my colleagues and I often use Lexis because of the rewards programs they offer. I think Westlaw would benefit from starting some sort of rewards program to encourage users to utilize their services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You really can't go wrong be choosing Westlaw. It's Key Number System truly is one of a kind, and it will be well worth the investment.

Westlaw is an incredible tool for conducting legal research on any topic within United States law. It is far superior to Google Scholar because of how specific the searches can be. My colleagues and I have saved so much time by using Westlaw instead of generic search engines.

User in Legal Services

"Long time litigator first time reviewer"

What do you like best?

Westlaw keynotes are great. I also like the manner in which Westlaw highlights whether a case is still good law. The case references are very good and the hyperlinks are good.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say I necessarily dislike this but I do wish it was easier to attach hyperlinks into word documents for comply with Federal Court rules to use hyperlinks to case law. However, there are workarounds. Westlaw can also be pricey if you go outside your plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw can be costly but a litigator would be foolish not to have it available for use. We definitely save our clients money by using Westlaw in the amount of time save in legal research. We also save them money in that we're able to present legal arguments that might not have been discovered using other sources.

I can research almost any legal issue from my desk. The new search analytics are very good but I've been using Westlaw for over 20 years so I can also use a boolean search to find the answers to the legal issues.

User in Law Practice

"Basic Legal Software, Slightly Disappointing"

What do you like best?

I like the "look" that Westlaw presents as a software for legal research. Westlaw has a crisp appearance with everything in one place right when you log on to the software.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, although Westlaw appears to have it all, it really does not. In addition to the clunky nature of the search tools, once you actually conduct a search on Westlaw, you are vastly disappointed with few relevant results, and many non-relevant results. Westlaw fails at really recognizing what it is that people need when they conduct legal research, and instead, simply uses the basic keywords as the threshold.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is more for the casual legal research need, not for the frequent connoisseur of legal research.

When using Westlaw, it is mostly for the purpose of conducting legal research associated with either writing or with law practice. Westlaw, like other legal research software, is a means of discovering relevant legal information. Unfortunately, Westlaw really fails to appeal to the average law practice or attorney, even after incorporating features such as "suggested" searches.

User in Law Practice

"Great product, very effective. "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that the outlaw is very simply and not overwhelming with lots of different colors. I also like that it has a docket system, that allows you to find previous motions and pleadings filed on similar matters. Also, the amount of cases and resources that Westlaw has an advantage as well.

What do you dislike?

There are often many documents that are out of the subscription plan. Also, the legislative history can be a challenge, i think that westlaw should invest into legislative history and that way you can find many of the committee notes on hearings. I think that westlaw is comfortable in their marketshare and not doing as much to improve - i believe that in a few years, other competitors will beat them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the fact that you can contact Westlaw and get help with search terms. Take advantage of the court docket and use that when you are facing a unfamiliar issue.

I have to research case law - the benefits i found with westlaw are mostly the ease of use (relative) compared to other products.

"Westlaw"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is a legal research platform with thousands of case reviews and judgments and academic commentaries and books available for those researching the law for a case to rely upon. What I like best about the platform is its vast array of materials accessible to all. This really makes the job much easier.

I also really like the search engine tools, if used properly, they can lead to very specific results, which is best. Users are able to search for specific types of laws and practice areas related to what they seek, and they are even able to research for specific legal issues and specific terminology within judgments.

What do you dislike?

Although its vast array of material is great, it can also be seen as the opposite simply due to the shear volume of content on the platform. This makes specific researching a more difficult task as the search engine ends up providing users often with hundreds of irrelevant materials.

Its research tool does need improvement. Westlaw often provides users with irrelevant material which they have to sift and sort through to find what they are looking for. Fixing this issue would help westlaw a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great legal research engine, probably the best, use it. Doing so will make you work more efficient and effective and it will make you task of searching for relevant legal provisions hundrends of hours shorter.

The use of westlaw is to advise clients and draft thesis. I personally have used it in work, and in school. I have used it to write case summaries for my colleagues to rely on in practice, and I have used it to research legal issues and judgments which I then rely on to advise my clients, and I have used it to research academic and practical arguments about legal issues which I then cite in my thesis'.

"Westlaw for students"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. I particularly like that when I research a case, it's easy to find previous decisions and citing decisions. In other legal search engines, I find this harder.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to "sheperdize" on westlaw. The lexis sheperdizing tool is easier to follow, wheras in Westlaw you have to do a little more digging to identify if the case you are looking at is still good law.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what you like out of a legal research software. With Westlaw you are getting ease of use along with a robust array of precedent and future decisions per case.

Westlaw has helped me conduct legal research with efficiency, it is particularly helpful with looking up case filings and precedent cases. I also like the people search function for its detail and ease of use.

Westlaw review by Danielle H.
Danielle H.

"Better Half of the Legal Research Duopoly"

What do you like best?

The breadth of immigration law on WestLaw's platform is the best. I can generally find everything I need when conducting legal research. The interface is largely intuitive and the search bar on every page is very helpful for finding a source quickly. It gets the job done. I am confident in my ability to get the answers I need relatively quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Like all legal research platforms that actually work and have content, it is expensive. However, I can get what I need, so it's part of the cost of doing business.

They recently changed the secondary sources view. It used to be grouped better, e.g. you could click on treatises, periodicals, guides, etc., now it gives you a mammoth list. I've started using the search bar to get around this annoying piece.

I wish there was better cross referencing between the U.S. Code and the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Immigration practitioners refer to the INA all the time and its annoying to have to go to a table to correspond the sections back and forth. I called the reference attorney help line, and too look at the INA as the INA instead of in the code, I have to go out of my plan. That seems silly to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The legal research duopoly is frustrating to deal with. My advice is to always go with which platform has the best content for your practice area.

Immigration law is a constantly moving storm of law, regulations, policy memorandums and trends. It is vital to stay on top of the changes and I am confident in WestLaw's ability to get me the information I need.

Westlaw review by John Kenneth C.
John Kenneth C.

"Westlaw is the best resource for legal professionals."

What do you like best?

The breadth of features. The Westlaw suite provides the tools that I need to be able to do my job in an efficient and productive manner. Legal research is a breeze with the myriad references available through the tool. And if I need to delve deeper, my subscription allows me to use ONE product for MANY tasks. The setup and integration into our practice was very easy - and everything worked the first time!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is nothing that I dislike about the product. Everything works as advertised and the product is an excellent value for the tools it provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perform a cost-based analysis to get a full picture of your ROI when using Westlaw. Once you see the amount of money, man-hours, and personnel resources your firm will save - the answer will be clear - go with Westlaw.

Legal reference. Legal citations. Access to law books. I don't have to spend thousands of dollars on books and writers - it is all at my fingertips with Westlaw.

"Necessary"

What do you like best?

I like the Drafting Assistant tool that comes with Westlaw.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when I type in search terms for types of cases that I am looking for, what I type in is never actually in the search results. I also dislike that when I type in the case name, I can only look at the "dropdown" search results. If i actually click "search," the results are not even remotely similar to the case name I typed in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw can be a bit difficult to navigate, but it has the important tools necessary for legal work.

The Drafting Assistant tool saves an immense amount of time when creating the Table of Authorities and also helps to double check if cites are incorrect.

Westlaw review by Jennifer G.
Jennifer G.

"Westlaw is the best paid legal research website and form builder."

What do you like best?

The searching function for Westlaw is one of the easiest functions to use out of all the different legal research functions. I also enjoy the form builder function. While I don't currently have form builder, I have used it in the past and it makes drafting documents much faster and more accurate.

What do you dislike?

Westlaw if more expensive then most legal research programs, especially since there are now so many free alternatives offered. I also did not like that the price had to be negotiated instead of there being just a flat fee because you never know if you are receiving a good deal or not.

Due to the fee, I was unable to afford form builder because the cost was too high for a sole practitioner starting off to be able to afford.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review different programs to make sure you would like to pay the cost of Westlaw. Lexis is significantly cheaper but does not have as good of an interface and is not reviewed by attorneys when summarizing the cases. Most states also offer free programs, and google has google scholar to simple searches but you cannot verify the validity of the current law.

Conducting legal research, key citing, sherardizing and saving case law for specific projects. Able to skip trace individuals and locate assets through paid searches on a per search basis.

Westlaw review by Jesse K.
Jesse K.

"WestLaw-ing is legalize for Googling"

What do you like best?

WestLaw Next has the fantastic ability to search for both general and specific phrases. Using simple boolean language, finding relevant caselaw is made easy with the intuitive search system developed by Westlaw.

The pop-up, "check out these cases" function has many times lead me to a very relevant case that I did not know to be searching for. In a matter of speaking, this supporting search function has made me a more efficient and effective researcher.

When you do know the specific case you'd like entering that name and being directed directly to the case is quick and easy, again allowing me to access information quickly and work for my clients more successfully.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the easy to make mistakes in searching that dramatically increase billing rates - for example, don't search for a case if you know it specifically, use the pop-up drop down to select the case you want to review.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Allow yourself to venture through the software without considering billing consequences first, find what works for you then use available Westlaw trainings to lower the cost to you. Asking Westlaw for tips and tricks will not only decrease your search times, but will allow lessen any aggravation you my face when you searches are not yielding lots of results.

My work revolves around developing specific knowledge about specific legal questions in different areas of the country. Having the ability to limit my search areas to districts or states is helpful in developing that expertise in a particular subject.

Westlaw review by Estefano M.
Estefano M.

"Useful platform for legal research"

What do you like best?

The key system is great for tracking down relevant statutes, citations, etc. Broad applications, up-to-date insights beyond legal research.

What do you dislike?

Search process can be daunting at times, especially when searching for a commonly used word or phrase. Mobile application can be very slow and difficult to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The practical law section is great to learn more about legal research - quick and easy-to-read tips.

Expedites the legal research process.

Westlaw review by Ashley F.
Ashley F.

"Must have for any legal professional"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is by far the easiest legal research system available to legal professionals. The system is very user friendly and well organized. Westlaw allows you to first narrow your search based on jurisdiction or my the type of law and once a search is conducted within your parameters, the results are very well organized between statutes, cases and secondary resources. I also really like Westlaw's keycite system that allows you to narrow your search to specific topics within your original search with complete ease of merely clicking the "keycite" number next to the topic. Westlaw was clearly well planned and thought out and the program is simply the best for legal research. I also really like that Westlaw has a mobile app making legal research accessible wherever I am.

What do you dislike?

I was lucky enough to have a class in law school that spent a couple of weeks explaining a few of the more advanced features of Westlaw like the keycite system and how to conduct an advance search. I think that if I didn't have that, it may not be as self explanatory. Also, I really like the mobile app but it isn't quite as user friendly as I'd like. And while this isn't necessarily Westlaw's problem, I wish my office had a plan that extended to secondary resources and other jurisdictions-it can be frustrating to find things relevant to your research topic and then find out it's not in your plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd highly recommend it. I personally prefer it more than Lexis.

Westlaw is absolute the best source available for any legal research problem. That in and of itself is the best benefit of Westlaw.

Westlaw review by Olivia C.
Olivia C.

"Helpful; easy to use; love key numbers"

What do you like best?

I love the topic key numbers the best as well as the live chat feature - an underused but incredibly helpful tool.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it seems to time me out so fast -- I often am going back and forth between a document and my WestLaw and I often have to login again

I often struggle with terms and connectors searches and so I always start with using the live chat feature and they get me started in a great direction.

"Westlaw Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of finding sample pleadings and researching cases. I don't have any issues looking for relevant case law. I also appreciate the several sample pleadings as sometimes a mere Google search isn't sufficient to find what you are looking for. I also really like their export feature to be able to send my results to someone else.

What do you dislike?

I still do not fully understand the "Key" aspect. I often have difficulty in searching case law. Also, it is still kind of pricey in comparison to other legal research databases. At the meantime, our office has resorted to using the database at the nearest law library. As we are a sole practitioner office, we cannot undertake an additional cost of a Westlaw subscription, but perhaps in the future, it can be something our office purchases. You also need to be somewhat specific in your search as it could be the difference between a few to 1000s of results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to tinker around with it because it would make further research much easier.

As I mentioned before, sometimes a Google search doesn't yield the exact results you are looking for. Westlaw has most of what you need all in one database. The ability to use case law and sample pleadings to make our work easier.

Westlaw review by Nancy R. E.
Nancy R. E.

"Best source for on point legal research"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to conduct complex key word and key site searches for a specific area of law, and then effectivlt narrow said results to those for my state. The cite tools are amazing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the results do not come back in the most relevant order based on the search info that was entered

I can research case law more efficiently than with other programs, which saves a great deal of time (and money) for my clients. It also allows me to be more productive. I can also quickly link cites to my partners in the firm, whether direct through a collaborative document (e.g. google share), email, or text.

Westlaw review by User

"Westlaw--helpful, but not modernized"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to maneuver. Searching cases is simple and advanced searches are clear.

What do you dislike?

It is simply just not modern enough. It is not visually appealing. It does not offer points to redeem like competitors. Even its color platform is just not exciting. Competitors definitely have an edge on Westlaw.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider recommending to organizations that partner with Westlaw to consider suggesting Rewards. Competitors like Lexisnexis will definitely overtake Westlaw.

Westlaw helps with legal research. The only distinguishable benefits are the ability to place Westlaw cases and holdings into PDF form.

"Very intuitive to use"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is just like using google, very easy to understand, and if you need help you get an attorney to help you 24/7. I also really like the overall layout of Westlaw much better than other legal research engines.

What do you dislike?

I wish the "forms" section of Westlaw was more outdated with sample templates of current pleadings - organized by different legal professions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use - makes learning the law enjoyable.

Most of my research for work comes from Westlaw. Thanks to Westlaw it is so easy to learn the law!

Westlaw review by Dylan P.
Dylan P.

"Nothing better than Lexis"

What do you like best?

The userface is pretty intuitive. I like that the software is consistently bring updated and improved.

What do you dislike?

I have a hard time learning all of the things the software can do.

Legal research mostly. We've also used twen a lot. It's helpful to keep everyone on the same page.

Westlaw review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"Was wonderful in law school and for cle"

What do you like best?

It has almost everything on any subject one could desire with the law. Also has great access to cle.

What do you dislike?

The price is very high for research and for some cle

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am using it for cle mainly now, I would recommend getting the best pricing. This is great software for research but make sure that it is something you need

Used mostly for Cle and on occasion for research.

Westlaw review by Consultant in Legal Services
Consultant in Legal Services

"How bad do things have to get before someone does something?"

What do you like best?

The precedents are satisfactory. I like nothing else.

What do you dislike?

I started the service and paid all that was due. I could not access it for over a month and then only after several, increasingly, heated calls. The problem seemed to have been the fault of the Accounts Dept.

After 6 months and having no outstanding payments, my account is, yet again, blocked and the service has been denied to me. My Account Managers seem to read only half of what I write and do not offer solutions.

The product may be OK but their customer service is non-existent. I will not renew my subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GO ELSEWHERE

No real benefits - I spend a lot of time revising their formatting.

No customer service

YOU HAVE ASKED FOR A SCREENSHOT OF ME BEING LOGGED IN TO THE SYSTEM - BUT THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE AS THE SYSTEM WON'T LOG ME IN.

User in Law Practice

"First stop for legal research"

What do you like best?

Searches pull in responsive documents from multiple sources (case law, legislation, legal periodicals), which can then be narrowed by category, jurisdiction, date, key words, and multiple other criteria. After a few searches on a topic, Westlaw will anticipate what you are looking for and give helpful prompts for other resources to look into.

What do you dislike?

While Westlaw is a great tool, remember that it does not collect every case. For a thorough and comprehensive search, you still need to check other sources, including LEXIS and PACER.

I typically use Westlaw to find cases to cite in my own legal briefs, or to check the cases cited by the opposing party. Pulling all of opposing counsel's cases at one time and saving them to a folder can produce a useful and quick analysis of the quality of their citations.

Westlaw review by Heather R.
Heather R.

"Westlaw is easy to use and the results are accurate."

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly locate cases or verdicts in a specific jurisdiction or court.

What do you dislike?

When accessing public records the login process requires a special code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support that Westlaw provides is exceptional and the up to date case history and information is invaluable.

Legal research, accessing court dockets, research on individuals and companies. Easy to obtain the information needed.

Westlaw review by Lisa S.
Lisa S.

"Easier to use for natural language searches but if you prefer more avanced searches, Lexis may be be"

What do you like best?

For most legal search needs, the two big go-tos are Lexis and Westlaw. From using both, Westlaw is the easier to use for plain keyword searches and for more natural language type searches. If you aren't quite sure what you want, Westlaw is going to be easier to use. The search features on WestlawNext bring up the top hits on cases, statutes, and regs and then allow you to navigate into the document type you're looking for--I find this feature helpful since there are times when you are looking for each of those items. Even where you know you just want cases, it doesn't add any more time to navigate past this page--it's helpful when you need it and not a bother when you don't.

What do you dislike?

As someone who is pretty comfortable with doing more advanced searches ("andnot" or "/p" or "/25" etc.), it's not as responsive or easy to use as LexisNexis. I also find that KeyCite isn't as easy to navigate as LexisNexis's Sheppard's.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In some ways it is easier to use than LexisNexis but I found it easier to narrow my searches in Lexis and prefer Sheppards to KeyCite.

We're a lawfirm. We need to do legal research--Westlaw is a close second place. It's fairly easy to use and people who aren't as familiar with searching on a legal database may find it easier to use than Lexis.

Westlaw review by Raymond T.
Raymond T.

"WestLaw Review"

What do you like best?

The search functions on Westlaw are a lot more natural and intuitive than its competitors (which can be considered to be very cumbersome). The billing system of Westlaw is also easy to follow once it is learned.

What do you dislike?

WestLaw's competitors seem a lot more "fun" (point systems, design, etc). That's not the point of WestLaw - but it is something that makes me want to use the other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really depends on your personal preferences, but Westlaw is straight forward, simple, and made for legal research.

I use Westlaw to do legal research. The benefit I like most from WestLaw are the very accurate, comprehensive headnotes.

"Westlaw researc"

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to use and well-organized. When I enter a specific case citation the case immediately pops up instead of me having to click on additional links. Also having the key numbers really makes it easy to search for broad topics within the law that can help lead more directly to relevant cases or secondary sources

What do you dislike?

No public search function like on Lexis.

I use it to do legal research. One big benefit is storing the documents in folders so it's easy to access them later and to keep things organized when I'm doing a lot of different research.

User in Legal Services

"One stop shop for cases"

What do you like best?

I appreciate Westlaw's expansive database. This allows me to search among thousands of cases to find one's that support my bosses needs.

What do you dislike?

For what I use this program for, I have not recognized any features that I am unhappy with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of using the citation tool! This helps you determine if a case has been reversed, or overruled and saves you from using unhelpful cases. It will search full text documents and retrieves those files for easy reference.

Instead of having to search everywhere to find what we need, I benefit from using KeyCite to figure out if the case we're citing has changed at all. This helps me only bring cases to my boss that are still relevant and helpful. It's incredibly helpful with staying efficient.

Westlaw review by Alexandra C. E.
Alexandra C. E.

"Westlaw is comprehensive and easy to use. "

What do you like best?

Westlaw is comprehensive and easy to use, it is very simple and user- friendly.

What do you dislike?

Saving documents and coming back to them can be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really like Westlaw and would recommend it because of the ease to use it and how comprehensive the material and content is.

Research needs and finding forms.

"Easy Research"

What do you like best?

Westlaw KeyCite provides for an easy way to find relevant cases that search results do not pull up.

What do you dislike?

It would be beneficial for negative flags to show a summary of HOW the case is negative. This would be very useful for cases with multiple flags - some as high as 14!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw charges on an hourly or a transaction basis - be sure to inquire as to what makes the two different. Additionally, if possible request a trial of the additional features; I used the case research tools much more than the document compilation features, so the trial is useful to determine what tools would best suit your firm's needs.

Westlaw provides a way to complete research for legal documents in an efficient manner.

Westlaw review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Thank goodness it's free at the law library"

What do you like best?

Westlaw now makes it so easy to conduct a search. Gone are the days when you had to know Boolean terminology. You can literally type anything into the search area and Westlaw knows what you're looking for. The algorithms really are that good.

What do you dislike?

It's cost-prohibitive for solo practitioners like me. I am fortunate to be able to use it for free at my local law library.

You really can't do legal research without Westlaw or Lexis, but I was taught using Westlaw and have stuck with it ever since. There are now other products available, like Casemaker, which my bar association offers for free, but it absolutely does not compare to Westlaw.

Westlaw review by Benjamin T.
Benjamin T.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

Very easy interface to use and representatives are always available to help.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Sometimes certain resources are not on WestLaw.

I am conducting legal researching, so I can solve my clients legal issues by finding relevant and favorable law.

Westlaw review by Rebecca C.
Rebecca C.

"It is very user friendly and one of the greatest references we have. "

What do you like best?

the reference tools are whay i use everyday. The program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I don't have much to complain about sometimes it is a bit slow searching but we all have issues.

We habe to look up cases everyday.

User in Legal Services

"Good Research Tool with loads of information"

What do you like best?

I like setting up saved searches to get regular reports on topics that I follow weekly. It allows me to stay on top of current news and trends without a lot of research time.

What do you dislike?

The UI is a little messy when searching from the top search bar - it's sometimes difficult to figure out where it sent me within WestLaw.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For business development purposes just make sure your preferred sources are picked up by Westlaw. They have lots of options and sources but if you have something specific in mind check it before you commit.

Easy to manage company and industry news, as well as monitoring practice trends for business development and ideas for seminar and newsletter topics.

Westlaw review by Steven P.
Steven P.

"West Law is Simple Yet Beneficial"

What do you like best?

The side bar that allows me to narrow my search to case law, secondary sources, etc.

What do you dislike?

It’s sometimes hard to find exactly what you’re looking for due to getting so many results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expensive. Be sure to bill to clients accordingly

Easy and thorough legal research.

"Westlaw works wonders "

What do you like best?

I like the different search methods. There are so many options to go about searching for relevant law.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about Westlaw. It is rather expensive but I think it's worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is the most comprehensive legal research tool and I highly recommend it.

I have always used Westlaw at work. The greatest benefit is that it is the most comprehensive legal research tool on the market.

"Very User friendly "

What do you like best?

During law school, I had the opportunity to use different legal search databases, including Westlaw and Lexis among others. As a paralegal, I used Lexis because my firm subscribed to Lexis, but in law school, I used Westlaw. Now that I am an attorney, I use Westlaw and would not go back to Lexis. Westlaw is user friendly and is aesthetically pleasing. It resembles many other sites we use regularly.

What do you dislike?

I would like for the filters to apply to new searches instead of having to reapply the filters after a new search

I am doing primarily legal research in support of our cases. Mostly employment related . I love the secondary sources material. It’s very helpful.

Westlaw review by Dylan H.
Dylan H.

"The best legal research software available"

What do you like best?

I was raised on WestLaw and continue to use it in my day-to-day legal practice. The program is easy to use, delivers quick results to search inquiries, and makes writing legal product an (almost) painless process.

What do you dislike?

Because the product has so many features, some of the more helpful features are buried. Could use a revamping.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend WestLaw. It is the best legal research software available on the marketplace.

Providing A+ legal products to my clients.

"Established, sterling reputation"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is reputable. It is taken seriously in the industry. Great search functionality, confidence in results. Ease of use in organizing and saving items.

What do you dislike?

It frequently times-out and logs the user out. This makes long-term, on-going searching a nightmare.

Used for class and in a legal aid clinic which takes civil and criminal cases for low-income clients.

Westlaw review by User in Higher Education
View Original

"Essential for any firm"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is commonly used by law firms such as my own, and the Westlaw database provides an extensive array of cases and secondary sources which are extremely helpful for me when I am research cases to resolve my clients legal issues.

What do you dislike?

The search results for particular precedents can be a little different than the other legal research tools. and the summaries sometimes are not as helpful as I would like.

Westlaw is helpful for any practitioner who needs to do legal research for client cases. I have used it to frequently to write client legal memos for my supervising attorney and legal briefs.

Westlaw review by Bianca P.
Bianca P.

"Love Westlaw!"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is incredibly user friend. I prefer this tool much better than Lexis.

What do you dislike?

The legal research assistants are hardly ever helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is much easier to use and less convoluted than Lexis. Additionally, Westlaw has all of the resources you need. Lexis does not even have Black's Law Dictionary.

I use this product to perform legal research. The ease of use is wonderful.

Westlaw review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"Best legal research engine"

What do you like best?

Easy to find cases, the layout is great, and the searches within search feature is also great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I type in a case name word for word I get obscure results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would invest in Westlaw. It is very effective and provides case law as expected.

Legal research is always a solvable problem on Westlaw; Westlaw makes it easy to conduct legal research.

"Good but not great"

What do you like best?

I like Westlaw's original platform more than I like Lexis' original platform. Although not as intuitive and easy to use as the Next generation, Westlaw's original platform still allows for easy searches and results, especially on certain topics and for accessing certain secondary resources. For that reason, I'd gladly use Westlaw over Lexis and also appreciate its transparency when it comes to fees.

What do you dislike?

Could be more intuitive like the Next generation platform, and could also be more inclusive as to secondary resources or certain decisions which can be an additional cost depending on your subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Play with its features and ask your Westlaw representative as many questions as necessary. Once you figure out the ins and outs of Westlaw, you'll be surprised to find how much more often you'll use it as a resource.

I'm using Westlaw in litigation and often during pre-litigation as well.

User in Law Practice

"Great User Friendly Service"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to read the key headings at the top, click on one, then easily be redirected to where that topic is discussed within a document.

What do you dislike?

I feel that the product is a bit expensive.

We do all of our law firm's legal research on westlaw.

Westlaw review by User in Financial Services

"Almost Overwhelming How Much Is Available"

What do you like best?

Most comprehensive library of resources especially when it comes to secondary sources. Probably best used for courts and academics, but I’ve never used it outside of academia. The news import feed from Reuters is great

What do you dislike?

The homepage is difficult to navigate with the tabs, the key system has a learning curve but it is helpful to save time. Less focused on practical resources than its main competitor. Doesn’t provide a lot of resources to teach you how to best leverage the system

Save time doing legal research. Track research for long term projects.

Westlaw review by Kristina B.
Kristina B.

"Westlaw is Great"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use with Westlaw. It is user friendly and simple for people who are not well versed in legal verbiage.

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes with Westlaw. I think it is very efficient for nearly any law practice.

Westlaw works really well for helping find relevant case law.

Westlaw review by Jazmin S.
Jazmin S.

"Best legal research tool"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is much more user friendly than competitors and is even easy to use for lawyers who aren't great with technology.

What do you dislike?

Citing references could be easier to find

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw's search features are easy to use and it's even easier to save your work!

I'm able to quickly conduct legal research and create folders to go back and find prior cases I've saved.

User in Legal Services

"Quick & efficient legal research"

What do you like best?

Once you learn how to use search terms (rather than natural language searches), you can quickly and efficiently find what you're looking for. I love using 1-800-REF-ATTY to get help, and they are available any time to help you do research.

What do you dislike?

Learning how to use the right search terms to narrow down your search is the toughest part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw includes more features than Lexis, and once you learn to use it, it is better!

Quick, efficient legal research. I have literally ran down in the middle of trials and quickly received the case I need.

Westlaw review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Westlaw makes legal research easy"

What do you like best?

This product makes it easy to cite check case law and search for relevant statutory authorities.

What do you dislike?

On occasion, despite entering a case cite or statutory provision accurately, the search engine does not automatically produce the document.

Westlaw makes legal research much faster and easier than using physical books or using Lexis Nexis.

Learning about Westlaw?

* We monitor all Westlaw reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Westlaw to Similar Solutions