Westlaw

Online legal research service for legal and law related materials and services, including searches of US and international legal materials, and journals.

Work for Westlaw?

Learning about Westlaw?

Compare Westlaw to Similar Solutions

Westlaw Reviews

Ask Westlaw a Question
Showing 91 Westlaw reviews
User in Legal Services

"Long time litigator first time reviewer"

What do you like best?

Westlaw keynotes are great. I also like the manner in which Westlaw highlights whether a case is still good law. The case references are very good and the hyperlinks are good.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say I necessarily dislike this but I do wish it was easier to attach hyperlinks into word documents for comply with Federal Court rules to use hyperlinks to case law. However, there are workarounds. Westlaw can also be pricey if you go outside your plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw can be costly but a litigator would be foolish not to have it available for use. We definitely save our clients money by using Westlaw in the amount of time save in legal research. We also save them money in that we're able to present legal arguments that might not have been discovered using other sources.

I can research almost any legal issue from my desk. The new search analytics are very good but I've been using Westlaw for over 20 years so I can also use a boolean search to find the answers to the legal issues.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Westlaw
User in Law Practice

"Basic Legal Software, Slightly Disappointing"

What do you like best?

I like the "look" that Westlaw presents as a software for legal research. Westlaw has a crisp appearance with everything in one place right when you log on to the software.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, although Westlaw appears to have it all, it really does not. In addition to the clunky nature of the search tools, once you actually conduct a search on Westlaw, you are vastly disappointed with few relevant results, and many non-relevant results. Westlaw fails at really recognizing what it is that people need when they conduct legal research, and instead, simply uses the basic keywords as the threshold.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is more for the casual legal research need, not for the frequent connoisseur of legal research.

When using Westlaw, it is mostly for the purpose of conducting legal research associated with either writing or with law practice. Westlaw, like other legal research software, is a means of discovering relevant legal information. Unfortunately, Westlaw really fails to appeal to the average law practice or attorney, even after incorporating features such as "suggested" searches.

What Legal Research solution do you use?

User in Law Practice

"Great product, very effective. "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that the outlaw is very simply and not overwhelming with lots of different colors. I also like that it has a docket system, that allows you to find previous motions and pleadings filed on similar matters. Also, the amount of cases and resources that Westlaw has an advantage as well.

What do you dislike?

There are often many documents that are out of the subscription plan. Also, the legislative history can be a challenge, i think that westlaw should invest into legislative history and that way you can find many of the committee notes on hearings. I think that westlaw is comfortable in their marketshare and not doing as much to improve - i believe that in a few years, other competitors will beat them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the fact that you can contact Westlaw and get help with search terms. Take advantage of the court docket and use that when you are facing a unfamiliar issue.

I have to research case law - the benefits i found with westlaw are mostly the ease of use (relative) compared to other products.

"Westlaw for students"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. I particularly like that when I research a case, it's easy to find previous decisions and citing decisions. In other legal search engines, I find this harder.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to "sheperdize" on westlaw. The lexis sheperdizing tool is easier to follow, wheras in Westlaw you have to do a little more digging to identify if the case you are looking at is still good law.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what you like out of a legal research software. With Westlaw you are getting ease of use along with a robust array of precedent and future decisions per case.

Westlaw has helped me conduct legal research with efficiency, it is particularly helpful with looking up case filings and precedent cases. I also like the people search function for its detail and ease of use.

Westlaw review by Danielle H.
Danielle H.

"Better Half of the Legal Research Duopoly"

What do you like best?

The breadth of immigration law on WestLaw's platform is the best. I can generally find everything I need when conducting legal research. The interface is largely intuitive and the search bar on every page is very helpful for finding a source quickly. It gets the job done. I am confident in my ability to get the answers I need relatively quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Like all legal research platforms that actually work and have content, it is expensive. However, I can get what I need, so it's part of the cost of doing business.

They recently changed the secondary sources view. It used to be grouped better, e.g. you could click on treatises, periodicals, guides, etc., now it gives you a mammoth list. I've started using the search bar to get around this annoying piece.

I wish there was better cross referencing between the U.S. Code and the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Immigration practitioners refer to the INA all the time and its annoying to have to go to a table to correspond the sections back and forth. I called the reference attorney help line, and too look at the INA as the INA instead of in the code, I have to go out of my plan. That seems silly to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The legal research duopoly is frustrating to deal with. My advice is to always go with which platform has the best content for your practice area.

Immigration law is a constantly moving storm of law, regulations, policy memorandums and trends. It is vital to stay on top of the changes and I am confident in WestLaw's ability to get me the information I need.

Westlaw review by John Kenneth C.
John Kenneth C.

"Westlaw is the best resource for legal professionals."

What do you like best?

The breadth of features. The Westlaw suite provides the tools that I need to be able to do my job in an efficient and productive manner. Legal research is a breeze with the myriad references available through the tool. And if I need to delve deeper, my subscription allows me to use ONE product for MANY tasks. The setup and integration into our practice was very easy - and everything worked the first time!

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is nothing that I dislike about the product. Everything works as advertised and the product is an excellent value for the tools it provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perform a cost-based analysis to get a full picture of your ROI when using Westlaw. Once you see the amount of money, man-hours, and personnel resources your firm will save - the answer will be clear - go with Westlaw.

Legal reference. Legal citations. Access to law books. I don't have to spend thousands of dollars on books and writers - it is all at my fingertips with Westlaw.

"Necessary"

What do you like best?

I like the Drafting Assistant tool that comes with Westlaw.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when I type in search terms for types of cases that I am looking for, what I type in is never actually in the search results. I also dislike that when I type in the case name, I can only look at the "dropdown" search results. If i actually click "search," the results are not even remotely similar to the case name I typed in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw can be a bit difficult to navigate, but it has the important tools necessary for legal work.

The Drafting Assistant tool saves an immense amount of time when creating the Table of Authorities and also helps to double check if cites are incorrect.

Westlaw review by Jennifer G.
Jennifer G.

"Westlaw is the best paid legal research website and form builder."

What do you like best?

The searching function for Westlaw is one of the easiest functions to use out of all the different legal research functions. I also enjoy the form builder function. While I don't currently have form builder, I have used it in the past and it makes drafting documents much faster and more accurate.

What do you dislike?

Westlaw if more expensive then most legal research programs, especially since there are now so many free alternatives offered. I also did not like that the price had to be negotiated instead of there being just a flat fee because you never know if you are receiving a good deal or not.

Due to the fee, I was unable to afford form builder because the cost was too high for a sole practitioner starting off to be able to afford.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review different programs to make sure you would like to pay the cost of Westlaw. Lexis is significantly cheaper but does not have as good of an interface and is not reviewed by attorneys when summarizing the cases. Most states also offer free programs, and google has google scholar to simple searches but you cannot verify the validity of the current law.

Conducting legal research, key citing, sherardizing and saving case law for specific projects. Able to skip trace individuals and locate assets through paid searches on a per search basis.

Westlaw review by Jesse K.
Jesse K.

"WestLaw-ing is legalize for Googling"

What do you like best?

WestLaw Next has the fantastic ability to search for both general and specific phrases. Using simple boolean language, finding relevant caselaw is made easy with the intuitive search system developed by Westlaw.

The pop-up, "check out these cases" function has many times lead me to a very relevant case that I did not know to be searching for. In a matter of speaking, this supporting search function has made me a more efficient and effective researcher.

When you do know the specific case you'd like entering that name and being directed directly to the case is quick and easy, again allowing me to access information quickly and work for my clients more successfully.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the easy to make mistakes in searching that dramatically increase billing rates - for example, don't search for a case if you know it specifically, use the pop-up drop down to select the case you want to review.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Allow yourself to venture through the software without considering billing consequences first, find what works for you then use available Westlaw trainings to lower the cost to you. Asking Westlaw for tips and tricks will not only decrease your search times, but will allow lessen any aggravation you my face when you searches are not yielding lots of results.

My work revolves around developing specific knowledge about specific legal questions in different areas of the country. Having the ability to limit my search areas to districts or states is helpful in developing that expertise in a particular subject.

Westlaw review by Ashley F.
Ashley F.

"Must have for any legal professional"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is by far the easiest legal research system available to legal professionals. The system is very user friendly and well organized. Westlaw allows you to first narrow your search based on jurisdiction or my the type of law and once a search is conducted within your parameters, the results are very well organized between statutes, cases and secondary resources. I also really like Westlaw's keycite system that allows you to narrow your search to specific topics within your original search with complete ease of merely clicking the "keycite" number next to the topic. Westlaw was clearly well planned and thought out and the program is simply the best for legal research. I also really like that Westlaw has a mobile app making legal research accessible wherever I am.

What do you dislike?

I was lucky enough to have a class in law school that spent a couple of weeks explaining a few of the more advanced features of Westlaw like the keycite system and how to conduct an advance search. I think that if I didn't have that, it may not be as self explanatory. Also, I really like the mobile app but it isn't quite as user friendly as I'd like. And while this isn't necessarily Westlaw's problem, I wish my office had a plan that extended to secondary resources and other jurisdictions-it can be frustrating to find things relevant to your research topic and then find out it's not in your plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd highly recommend it. I personally prefer it more than Lexis.

Westlaw is absolute the best source available for any legal research problem. That in and of itself is the best benefit of Westlaw.

Westlaw review by Olivia C.
Olivia C.

"Helpful; easy to use; love key numbers"

What do you like best?

I love the topic key numbers the best as well as the live chat feature - an underused but incredibly helpful tool.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it seems to time me out so fast -- I often am going back and forth between a document and my WestLaw and I often have to login again

I often struggle with terms and connectors searches and so I always start with using the live chat feature and they get me started in a great direction.

"Westlaw Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of finding sample pleadings and researching cases. I don't have any issues looking for relevant case law. I also appreciate the several sample pleadings as sometimes a mere Google search isn't sufficient to find what you are looking for. I also really like their export feature to be able to send my results to someone else.

What do you dislike?

I still do not fully understand the "Key" aspect. I often have difficulty in searching case law. Also, it is still kind of pricey in comparison to other legal research databases. At the meantime, our office has resorted to using the database at the nearest law library. As we are a sole practitioner office, we cannot undertake an additional cost of a Westlaw subscription, but perhaps in the future, it can be something our office purchases. You also need to be somewhat specific in your search as it could be the difference between a few to 1000s of results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to tinker around with it because it would make further research much easier.

As I mentioned before, sometimes a Google search doesn't yield the exact results you are looking for. Westlaw has most of what you need all in one database. The ability to use case law and sample pleadings to make our work easier.

Westlaw review by Nancy R. E.
Nancy R. E.

"Best source for on point legal research"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to conduct complex key word and key site searches for a specific area of law, and then effectivlt narrow said results to those for my state. The cite tools are amazing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the results do not come back in the most relevant order based on the search info that was entered

I can research case law more efficiently than with other programs, which saves a great deal of time (and money) for my clients. It also allows me to be more productive. I can also quickly link cites to my partners in the firm, whether direct through a collaborative document (e.g. google share), email, or text.

"Very intuitive to use"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is just like using google, very easy to understand, and if you need help you get an attorney to help you 24/7. I also really like the overall layout of Westlaw much better than other legal research engines.

What do you dislike?

I wish the "forms" section of Westlaw was more outdated with sample templates of current pleadings - organized by different legal professions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use - makes learning the law enjoyable.

Most of my research for work comes from Westlaw. Thanks to Westlaw it is so easy to learn the law!

Westlaw review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"Was wonderful in law school and for cle"

What do you like best?

It has almost everything on any subject one could desire with the law. Also has great access to cle.

What do you dislike?

The price is very high for research and for some cle

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am using it for cle mainly now, I would recommend getting the best pricing. This is great software for research but make sure that it is something you need

Used mostly for Cle and on occasion for research.

Westlaw review by Consultant in Legal Services
Consultant in Legal Services

"How bad do things have to get before someone does something?"

What do you like best?

The precedents are satisfactory. I like nothing else.

What do you dislike?

I started the service and paid all that was due. I could not access it for over a month and then only after several, increasingly, heated calls. The problem seemed to have been the fault of the Accounts Dept.

After 6 months and having no outstanding payments, my account is, yet again, blocked and the service has been denied to me. My Account Managers seem to read only half of what I write and do not offer solutions.

The product may be OK but their customer service is non-existent. I will not renew my subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GO ELSEWHERE

No real benefits - I spend a lot of time revising their formatting.

No customer service

YOU HAVE ASKED FOR A SCREENSHOT OF ME BEING LOGGED IN TO THE SYSTEM - BUT THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE AS THE SYSTEM WON'T LOG ME IN.

User in Law Practice

"First stop for legal research"

What do you like best?

Searches pull in responsive documents from multiple sources (case law, legislation, legal periodicals), which can then be narrowed by category, jurisdiction, date, key words, and multiple other criteria. After a few searches on a topic, Westlaw will anticipate what you are looking for and give helpful prompts for other resources to look into.

What do you dislike?

While Westlaw is a great tool, remember that it does not collect every case. For a thorough and comprehensive search, you still need to check other sources, including LEXIS and PACER.

I typically use Westlaw to find cases to cite in my own legal briefs, or to check the cases cited by the opposing party. Pulling all of opposing counsel's cases at one time and saving them to a folder can produce a useful and quick analysis of the quality of their citations.

Westlaw review by Heather R.
Heather R.

"Westlaw is easy to use and the results are accurate."

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly locate cases or verdicts in a specific jurisdiction or court.

What do you dislike?

When accessing public records the login process requires a special code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support that Westlaw provides is exceptional and the up to date case history and information is invaluable.

Legal research, accessing court dockets, research on individuals and companies. Easy to obtain the information needed.

Westlaw review by Lisa S.
Lisa S.

"Easier to use for natural language searches but if you prefer more avanced searches, Lexis may be be"

What do you like best?

For most legal search needs, the two big go-tos are Lexis and Westlaw. From using both, Westlaw is the easier to use for plain keyword searches and for more natural language type searches. If you aren't quite sure what you want, Westlaw is going to be easier to use. The search features on WestlawNext bring up the top hits on cases, statutes, and regs and then allow you to navigate into the document type you're looking for--I find this feature helpful since there are times when you are looking for each of those items. Even where you know you just want cases, it doesn't add any more time to navigate past this page--it's helpful when you need it and not a bother when you don't.

What do you dislike?

As someone who is pretty comfortable with doing more advanced searches ("andnot" or "/p" or "/25" etc.), it's not as responsive or easy to use as LexisNexis. I also find that KeyCite isn't as easy to navigate as LexisNexis's Sheppard's.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In some ways it is easier to use than LexisNexis but I found it easier to narrow my searches in Lexis and prefer Sheppards to KeyCite.

We're a lawfirm. We need to do legal research--Westlaw is a close second place. It's fairly easy to use and people who aren't as familiar with searching on a legal database may find it easier to use than Lexis.

Westlaw review by Raymond T.
Raymond T.

"WestLaw Review"

What do you like best?

The search functions on Westlaw are a lot more natural and intuitive than its competitors (which can be considered to be very cumbersome). The billing system of Westlaw is also easy to follow once it is learned.

What do you dislike?

WestLaw's competitors seem a lot more "fun" (point systems, design, etc). That's not the point of WestLaw - but it is something that makes me want to use the other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really depends on your personal preferences, but Westlaw is straight forward, simple, and made for legal research.

I use Westlaw to do legal research. The benefit I like most from WestLaw are the very accurate, comprehensive headnotes.

"Westlaw researc"

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to use and well-organized. When I enter a specific case citation the case immediately pops up instead of me having to click on additional links. Also having the key numbers really makes it easy to search for broad topics within the law that can help lead more directly to relevant cases or secondary sources

What do you dislike?

No public search function like on Lexis.

I use it to do legal research. One big benefit is storing the documents in folders so it's easy to access them later and to keep things organized when I'm doing a lot of different research.

User in Legal Services

"One stop shop for cases"

What do you like best?

I appreciate Westlaw's expansive database. This allows me to search among thousands of cases to find one's that support my bosses needs.

What do you dislike?

For what I use this program for, I have not recognized any features that I am unhappy with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of using the citation tool! This helps you determine if a case has been reversed, or overruled and saves you from using unhelpful cases. It will search full text documents and retrieves those files for easy reference.

Instead of having to search everywhere to find what we need, I benefit from using KeyCite to figure out if the case we're citing has changed at all. This helps me only bring cases to my boss that are still relevant and helpful. It's incredibly helpful with staying efficient.

Westlaw review by Alexandra C. E.
Alexandra C. E.

"Westlaw is comprehensive and easy to use. "

What do you like best?

Westlaw is comprehensive and easy to use, it is very simple and user- friendly.

What do you dislike?

Saving documents and coming back to them can be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really like Westlaw and would recommend it because of the ease to use it and how comprehensive the material and content is.

Research needs and finding forms.

"Easy Research"

What do you like best?

Westlaw KeyCite provides for an easy way to find relevant cases that search results do not pull up.

What do you dislike?

It would be beneficial for negative flags to show a summary of HOW the case is negative. This would be very useful for cases with multiple flags - some as high as 14!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw charges on an hourly or a transaction basis - be sure to inquire as to what makes the two different. Additionally, if possible request a trial of the additional features; I used the case research tools much more than the document compilation features, so the trial is useful to determine what tools would best suit your firm's needs.

Westlaw provides a way to complete research for legal documents in an efficient manner.

Westlaw review by Benjamin T.
Benjamin T.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

Very easy interface to use and representatives are always available to help.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Sometimes certain resources are not on WestLaw.

I am conducting legal researching, so I can solve my clients legal issues by finding relevant and favorable law.

Westlaw review by Rebecca C.
Rebecca C.

"It is very user friendly and one of the greatest references we have. "

What do you like best?

the reference tools are whay i use everyday. The program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I don't have much to complain about sometimes it is a bit slow searching but we all have issues.

We habe to look up cases everyday.

User in Legal Services

"Good Research Tool with loads of information"

What do you like best?

I like setting up saved searches to get regular reports on topics that I follow weekly. It allows me to stay on top of current news and trends without a lot of research time.

What do you dislike?

The UI is a little messy when searching from the top search bar - it's sometimes difficult to figure out where it sent me within WestLaw.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For business development purposes just make sure your preferred sources are picked up by Westlaw. They have lots of options and sources but if you have something specific in mind check it before you commit.

Easy to manage company and industry news, as well as monitoring practice trends for business development and ideas for seminar and newsletter topics.

Westlaw review by Steven P.
Steven P.

"West Law is Simple Yet Beneficial"

What do you like best?

The side bar that allows me to narrow my search to case law, secondary sources, etc.

What do you dislike?

It’s sometimes hard to find exactly what you’re looking for due to getting so many results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expensive. Be sure to bill to clients accordingly

Easy and thorough legal research.

"Westlaw works wonders "

What do you like best?

I like the different search methods. There are so many options to go about searching for relevant law.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about Westlaw. It is rather expensive but I think it's worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is the most comprehensive legal research tool and I highly recommend it.

I have always used Westlaw at work. The greatest benefit is that it is the most comprehensive legal research tool on the market.

"Very User friendly "

What do you like best?

During law school, I had the opportunity to use different legal search databases, including Westlaw and Lexis among others. As a paralegal, I used Lexis because my firm subscribed to Lexis, but in law school, I used Westlaw. Now that I am an attorney, I use Westlaw and would not go back to Lexis. Westlaw is user friendly and is aesthetically pleasing. It resembles many other sites we use regularly.

What do you dislike?

I would like for the filters to apply to new searches instead of having to reapply the filters after a new search

I am doing primarily legal research in support of our cases. Mostly employment related . I love the secondary sources material. It’s very helpful.

Westlaw review by Dylan H.
Dylan H.

"The best legal research software available"

What do you like best?

I was raised on WestLaw and continue to use it in my day-to-day legal practice. The program is easy to use, delivers quick results to search inquiries, and makes writing legal product an (almost) painless process.

What do you dislike?

Because the product has so many features, some of the more helpful features are buried. Could use a revamping.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend WestLaw. It is the best legal research software available on the marketplace.

Providing A+ legal products to my clients.

Westlaw review by User in Higher Education
View Original

"Essential for any firm"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is commonly used by law firms such as my own, and the Westlaw database provides an extensive array of cases and secondary sources which are extremely helpful for me when I am research cases to resolve my clients legal issues.

What do you dislike?

The search results for particular precedents can be a little different than the other legal research tools. and the summaries sometimes are not as helpful as I would like.

Westlaw is helpful for any practitioner who needs to do legal research for client cases. I have used it to frequently to write client legal memos for my supervising attorney and legal briefs.

Westlaw review by Bianca P.
Bianca P.

"Love Westlaw!"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is incredibly user friend. I prefer this tool much better than Lexis.

What do you dislike?

The legal research assistants are hardly ever helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw is much easier to use and less convoluted than Lexis. Additionally, Westlaw has all of the resources you need. Lexis does not even have Black's Law Dictionary.

I use this product to perform legal research. The ease of use is wonderful.

Westlaw review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"Best legal research engine"

What do you like best?

Easy to find cases, the layout is great, and the searches within search feature is also great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I type in a case name word for word I get obscure results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would invest in Westlaw. It is very effective and provides case law as expected.

Legal research is always a solvable problem on Westlaw; Westlaw makes it easy to conduct legal research.

"Good but not great"

What do you like best?

I like Westlaw's original platform more than I like Lexis' original platform. Although not as intuitive and easy to use as the Next generation, Westlaw's original platform still allows for easy searches and results, especially on certain topics and for accessing certain secondary resources. For that reason, I'd gladly use Westlaw over Lexis and also appreciate its transparency when it comes to fees.

What do you dislike?

Could be more intuitive like the Next generation platform, and could also be more inclusive as to secondary resources or certain decisions which can be an additional cost depending on your subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Play with its features and ask your Westlaw representative as many questions as necessary. Once you figure out the ins and outs of Westlaw, you'll be surprised to find how much more often you'll use it as a resource.

I'm using Westlaw in litigation and often during pre-litigation as well.

Westlaw review by User in Financial Services

"Almost Overwhelming How Much Is Available"

What do you like best?

Most comprehensive library of resources especially when it comes to secondary sources. Probably best used for courts and academics, but I’ve never used it outside of academia. The news import feed from Reuters is great

What do you dislike?

The homepage is difficult to navigate with the tabs, the key system has a learning curve but it is helpful to save time. Less focused on practical resources than its main competitor. Doesn’t provide a lot of resources to teach you how to best leverage the system

Save time doing legal research. Track research for long term projects.

Westlaw review by Kristina B.
Kristina B.

"Westlaw is Great"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use with Westlaw. It is user friendly and simple for people who are not well versed in legal verbiage.

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes with Westlaw. I think it is very efficient for nearly any law practice.

Westlaw works really well for helping find relevant case law.

Westlaw review by Jazmin S.
Jazmin S.

"Best legal research tool"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is much more user friendly than competitors and is even easy to use for lawyers who aren't great with technology.

What do you dislike?

Citing references could be easier to find

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw's search features are easy to use and it's even easier to save your work!

I'm able to quickly conduct legal research and create folders to go back and find prior cases I've saved.

User in Legal Services

"Quick & efficient legal research"

What do you like best?

Once you learn how to use search terms (rather than natural language searches), you can quickly and efficiently find what you're looking for. I love using 1-800-REF-ATTY to get help, and they are available any time to help you do research.

What do you dislike?

Learning how to use the right search terms to narrow down your search is the toughest part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Westlaw includes more features than Lexis, and once you learn to use it, it is better!

Quick, efficient legal research. I have literally ran down in the middle of trials and quickly received the case I need.

Westlaw review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Westlaw makes legal research easy"

What do you like best?

This product makes it easy to cite check case law and search for relevant statutory authorities.

What do you dislike?

On occasion, despite entering a case cite or statutory provision accurately, the search engine does not automatically produce the document.

Westlaw makes legal research much faster and easier than using physical books or using Lexis Nexis.

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw - The best legal research software on the market"

What do you like best?

I really like the user interface and ease of use, particularly with Westlaw Next. I think that given the legal research tools available, Westlaw is currently the best option.

What do you dislike?

Although I do not personally pay for it, I know it is expensive. I think there could be improvements to the ease and accuracy in searches/ search results. Also, there are many things that require extra charges and are inaccessible unless you pay more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

in my opinion, Westlaw (specifically Westlaw Next) is the best legal research option/tool on the market.

Legal research is essential to the work of my organization and any legal organization/lawyer. Westlaw is the easiest most user friendly option available.

Westlaw review by Shauna K.
Shauna K.

"Reliable Customer Service"

What do you like best?

If I can't find what I'm looking for through their readily available resources, I can reach out to my contact at Westlaw and they assist me quickly.

What do you dislike?

I've been using Westlaw for under a year, but so far I haven't encountered something that I don't like or would change about the product.

"Westlaw"

What do you like best?

Quick access to case law and statutes, with key searches to further research topics of interest.

What do you dislike?

The search feature can be a bit difficult to use if you are not familiar with Boolean connectors.

Quick access to case law, statutes, etc. without having to consult the hardcopy books.

User in Law Practice

"Excellent case law research database"

What do you like best?

Westlaw has the most up to date published cases and decisions. It is also very user friendly

What do you dislike?

It is often difficult to tell if something is not included in the plan until after you click on it.

I use Westlaw alot for case law research when writing briefs.

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw is the better option for legal research."

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Westlaw is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it responds too slowly for me. Also, the terms and connectors for researching are hard to manage so I have to keep the list at my desk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I prefer Westlaw over Lexis any day, but never forget how to use a book.

Legal research is much easier. We were previously using an old version of Lexis and it just wasn't what we needed.

Westlaw review by Melanie N. A.
Melanie N. A.

"Easy platform to find research on point."

What do you like best?

The Westlaw Next platform is easier to use than LexisAdvance. It also just has a cleaner look.

What do you dislike?

Some of the practice guides found on Westlaw aren't as good as some that are on Lexis.

Online legal research saves my office time from having to go to the law library.

Westlaw review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easiest way to search for law precedents"

What do you like best?

its easy to use interface, array of precedents, range of cases and articles.

What do you dislike?

should be updated frequently, start from previous session

Recommendations to others considering the product

best in the business and easy to use interface

Case laws, cases in court, helping clients achieve better results

User in Law Practice

"Great way to pull information"

What do you like best?

When my firm signed up for westlaw, it was a great opportunity to be able to track media coverage on another platform. Not only was it great media monitoring, but it was an excellent research tool.

What do you dislike?

It felt quite cumbersome to use and the ability to receive alerts needs to be improved. In public relations, we need immediate alerts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use support often, they are very knowledgeable.

We were using it as a research tool as well as media monitoring

"Can't work without out"

What do you like best?

I love the new search feature that allows more google like searching

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I type in a specific statute number and it doesn't come up as the first result, which is very annoying.

I have to use westlaw for legal research.

"Love Westlaw"

What do you like best?

Easy to find applicable case law and related opinions/secondary sources.

What do you dislike?

Always looking for better ways to make research easier -

Recommendations to others considering the product

Has better search results than lexis

Problem solving for clients. Easy access to applicable case law and interpreting secondary sources

Westlaw review by Melinda N.
Melinda N.

"Westlaw for the small law firm"

What do you like best?

It is easy and compatible with our Mac software

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the forms need reformatting and there is a small learning curve

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is good for any sized business and ensures that you are always using the most current version of the forms

Allows us to prepare everyday forms quickly and efficiently

Westlaw review by joanne l.
joanne l.

"Works Great"

What do you like best?

The telephone refine attorneys can answer any issue you have

What do you dislike?

Its hard to remember all the functions available

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the reference attorneys

Easy answers to difficult research and give great briefs and legal samples

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw great for legal practitioners "

What do you like best?

The easy to use interface and helpful “suggested documents” tab.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to keep track of recent documents in an organized manner without opening several new tabs.

Easy and much more streamlined legal research capabilities.

Westlaw review by User in Higher Education

"Westlaw is great"

What do you like best?

I like that there are special searches that I can do and secondary sources

What do you dislike?

I don’t find westlaw to be very user friendly

Writing legal briefs. Cite with reference is life changing

Westlaw review by Brittany W.
Brittany W.

"Westlaw"

What do you like best?

I like the intro page because it is very user friendly

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it doesn't have a reward system like lexis

Searching for case law and relevant state law

Westlaw review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="bdb85330-53ab-444a-9888-e57d0f4cf9b3">Sugandhi  S.</span>
Sugandhi S.
" itemprop="name" />

"Use for research"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and navigate in order to research.

What do you dislike?

The text seems to be very small and straining on the eyes.

Legal research.

"Easy to use "

What do you like best?

I like the ability narrow searches greatly and create folders. Case snapshots are helpful

What do you dislike?

I think there should be a search option that allows you to exclude terms

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said I would like the option to exclude documents with certain terms if I know I am going to be getting alot of irrelevant material along with relevant material based on search term

Legal research by jurisdiction

Westlaw review by Consultant in Entertainment
Consultant in Entertainment

"Westlaw: The Most Intuitive Legal Research Database"

What do you like best?

Very user friendly and intuitive. Allows for efficient legal research.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about Westlaw.

Westlaw allows me to research law efficiently.

"WestLaw is BestLaw"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is the most user friendly interface while still having comprehensive information

What do you dislike?

I can't say there is much to dislike about Westlaw compared to its competitors. It is the obvious best.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! It is certainly the best compared to other similar products.

Westlaw allows for the most easy and focused legal research of any product. It allows for efficiency and effectiveness with case research.

User in Law Practice

"Good, but not the best"

What do you like best?

Research for potential litigation cases is made easy with Westlaw

What do you dislike?

Searching for motor vehicles owned by a particular person can be difficult

Research for demands/litigation

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

Everything. Easy to use, exceptional results, smart searches, very user-friendly with a simple to use interface, easy to navigate, a wealth of data, and excellent product support.

What do you dislike?

Technically there's no much to dislike. Downloading documents is a bit tricky in that you have to click twice, but other than that I have little to no complaints.

Legal issues, searches, professional documents, etc. Westlaw makes me extremely efficient saving me a great deal of time that I would have otherwise wasted using other software.

Westlaw review by User

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is easy to navigate and organize your research

What do you dislike?

There are not many trainings offered online to become more proficient with searching

Westlaw review by User in Research
User in Research

"Westlaw Review"

What do you like best?

Good layout, less buggy than its competitors, keycite is intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how hard it is to follow precedenttial opinions sometimes. Also, it logs you out too quickly and then it is hard to get back to where you were.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Negotiate with Westlaw for lower prices.

Legal issues. Legal analysis.

"Good research"

What do you like best?

Key numbers, most complete database. Gives the best search results

What do you dislike?

Not very pretty, no free points, no free printing at my school

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw legal research is cost effective"

What do you like best?

The cost of Westlaw is far less than other legal research alternatives.

What do you dislike?

I previously used Lexis and had become accustomed to Matthew Bender Forms of Pleading and Practice and now I no longer have access to those.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a less expensive alternative to Lexis Nexis and provides similar and comparable services.

We are able to do legal research without leaving the office.

User in Law Practice

"Preferred legal research platform for litigation. "

What do you like best?

The interface is easier to navigate than it used to be.

What do you dislike?

The order of search results is often counterintuitive.

Verdict searches are useful.

User in Law Practice

"The best legal research tool out there"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Intuitive. Amount of source material available.

What do you dislike?

At times I wish more material was included

Quick and easy (affordable) legal research

User in Legal Services

"Been using since law school"

What do you like best?

Searching ease; KeyCite; online digests; breadth of case law and statute availability.

What do you dislike?

Can get led down rabbit hole. Natural Language searching can pull in too may results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know how to do boolean searching--natural language searching is too over-inclusive.

Online legal research. I started my career researching in books, then CD-ROMs. When Westlaw went online, ability went off the charts.

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw is a necessity for any practicing laywer!"

What do you like best?

Westlaw provides access to any and all relevant sources you can imagine. Whether it's case law, briefs, or secondary materials you are looking for, a single search on Westlaw will bring you to it.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything to dislike about Westlaw.

Westlaw provides easy legal research options that make large, complex legal tasks simple.

"Pretty great product. "

What do you like best?

I like that it's easily navigable. Searches are pretty easy to accomplish and it is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

It is not always the most organized product. Some of the search results are odd.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth it.

It does provide research and it is very popular so learning it once usually means that you will be set going forward in the legal field.

User in Law Practice

"Westland makes the legal research process much faster"

What do you like best?

West law is a good tool to help people quickly look up laws and statutes

What do you dislike?

It can be confusing to use sometimes with the terminology they use

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it’s an excellent software and tool.

Being able to remote access laws and statutes without having law books on hand.

Westlaw review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"Minimal "

What do you like best?

Works good but very minimal. Great for legal research.

What do you dislike?

Hard to post videos and access quizzes. Other softwares offer more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works but there are better sites to host or share your material.

Great if you only need to offer a few documents to a party.

Westlaw review by User

"Makes research a breeze"

What do you like best?

the ease of being able to find various cases with simple clicks rather than fumbling through big outdated books

What do you dislike?

not much needs to be changed in my opinion

Recommendations to others considering the product

will save you a lot of time

saves me time with motion writing and legal research

Westlaw review by Agency in Law Practice
Agency in Law Practice

"Westlaw"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to search only in specific sources. For example, I often look for language only in the Education Code, and Westlaw makes this easy to do.

What do you dislike?

Westlaw does not have administrative opinions dating prior to 1986. For example, the California Attorney General Opinions go back almost 100 years and can be useful. I have them at my firm in print, but the search tools of Westlaw would help me for these older cases

Westlaw is overall a great product

"Great Research"

What do you like best?

Searches made easy, including easy refining, narrowing, and key numbers.

What do you dislike?

The forms options could be a bit better.

N/A

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw - reliable and user-friendly "

What do you like best?

I like the updates made via Westlaw Next making Westlaw user-friendly and easy to toggle between pages.

What do you dislike?

In the past I found KeyCite not as reliable as Shepardizing.

Great for legal research.

User in Legal Services

"Used to use Lexis, and swear by it but this is okay"

What do you like best?

It saves my searches which is helpful when I'm working on long projects.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it doesn't separate searches by client in search history.

It gives me my cases to do my job!

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw is a user friendly and effective service."

What do you like best?

I like how it has adjusted and become easier to use over time. I use it mainly for legal research where it is critical to find the correct and complete information as quickly and efficiently as possible. Westlaw helps me do that.

What do you dislike?

I wish Westlaw's non-legal research features (such as Public Records search, etc.) were as easy to navigate as the legal research section.

None.

Westlaw review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Great legal research tool"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use, especially their new WestlawNext, which uses a search engine similar to google rather than terms and connector search.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes slow and difficult to modify citation formats.

Anytime I have to do legal research, Westlaw is my go to service.

"Westlaw (Next)"

What do you like best?

It was completely intuitive, easy to learn, easy to search, easy to find what I was looking for.

What do you dislike?

I dislike using another service instead of my beloved Westlaw.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO IT!

I'm not solving problems, I'm just researching.

Westlaw review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Westlaw Review"

What do you like best?

Westlaw hosts the majority of Louisiana cases.

What do you dislike?

It's honestly a dreary website. It could have more visually appealing aspects.

I use Westlaw for research at school and at work.

User in Law Practice

"the best in legal research"

What do you like best?

easy research functions, tons of sources, everything is up to date.

What do you dislike?

The cost is crazy but somehow we still use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its the best in class....!

research, getting legal questions answered, shepardizing,

User in Legal Services

"WestLaw Next is great legal research tool"

What do you like best?

Searchability, ease of filtering, speed, storing folders

What do you dislike?

Limited access to secondary sources on most plans

Relatively cost effective alternative to other programs as long as you stay within bundle

Westlaw review by Administrator in Legal Services
Administrator in Legal Services

"Great Research "

What do you like best?

Great system and love it almost like google.

What do you dislike?

The customer service can be hit or miss depending on the person you get.

Recommendations to others considering the product

grey

research a lot of information.

"Easy to use "

What do you like best?

Easy to use, people maps is very informative

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you have to be very specific when using people maps

Scheduling depositions, locating witnesses

"Legal marketing/competitive intelligence"

What do you like best?

The ability to search news publications and dockets

What do you dislike?

Sometimes getting granular is difficult

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reps are very helpful

Researching competitors, prospects and lateral recruits

User in Law Practice

"Research for law school and law firm use"

What do you like best?

The ease of searching and the ease of highlighting and notating

What do you dislike?

Wish there were an easier way to share my findings with colleagues

Solving client issues brought to my attention every day

User in Law Practice

"Attorney use during research and case analytics."

What do you like best?

Great userface and easy to use, as well as key system.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes difficult to not get lost in the system.

Directly helping clients with case and treatise authority.

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw has made legal research quick and simple. "

What do you like best?

Westlaw does not require Boolean searches, or terms and connectors. Instead, it allows users to search Westlaw just like a Google search. For example, if Illinois uses a different term of art than say New York, Westlaw automatically registers that. You can save money by using Westlaw because finding what you need takes less clicks than lexis. Overall the interface is extremely user friendly.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is the expense but that comes with such a great product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not waste your time with LexisNexis. Westlaw is much easier and quicker to use.

User in Law Practice

"Westlaw as a research tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of access for locating specific cases, statutes, or other authorities.

What do you dislike?

The lengthy and impossible to remember password.

Legal research.

User in Law Practice

"Watched It Grow from a Cumbersome Database to a Modernish Search Engine"

What do you like best?

Westlaw is pretty much an indispensable tool to any lawyer. It's secondary source content generally is more comprehensive than Lexis. And it traditionally has been more user friendly than Lexis.

What do you dislike?

The price. Despite taking quite a while to update its platform, Westlaw continues to be really expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do give Lexis a trial run. Each have primary sources, and, depending upon your area of practice, you may find the secondary sources in Lexis are as good as or better than those in Westlaw. Yet, Lexis is much more affordable.

Learning about Westlaw?

* We monitor all Westlaw reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Westlaw to Similar Solutions