Windows 10 SDK

The Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) contains headers, libraries, and tools you can use when you create apps that run on Windows operating systems. With the Windows SDK, you can begin building Universal Windows apps and desktop apps for Windows 10, Version 1511. This SDK also supports building Windows apps and desktop applications for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008.

Work for Windows 10 SDK?

Learning about Windows 10 SDK?

Windows 10 SDK Reviews

Showing 22 Windows 10 SDK reviews
Windows 10 SDK review by <span>Rafael d.</span>
Rafael d.

"Windows 10 SDK Developer Experience"

What do you like best?

I love all W10. But the best is the way of that keeps using the MVVM and ReactiveX solutions.

What do you dislike?

I can't develop out from Windows environment. The simulator still is very limited when compared with other similar solutions available in the market as Xcode Simulator.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very good, but neither all solutions with security needs will work well. If you need a larger level of encryption you can found some troubles.

Develop a native app to Itaú Unibanco (the largest bank from Latam). A big huge of standards and patterns to follow up that allows me don't think in the first moment into architecture and focus on what matters: business logic and UI.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windows 10 SDK
Windows 10 SDK review by <span>Lora L.</span>
Lora L.

"Easily the best Windows program yet"

What do you like best?

The ability to use one code for a variety of different things, it is super easy to navigate, and I feel like I do not get as lost as I did on the other Windows products or other companies. I feel like it is easier to read as well too. We are still installing it on most of the computers at my work, but our main computer in IT has it and we were able to explore it.

What do you dislike?

The automatic updates out of nowhere and how long the updates take to run. I swear this was not an issue on my last windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To at least try it out because it is pretty easy to navigate.

App development. My company is an interpretation company and we are still learning to use these, but have hopes of great programs to implement from it in the future.

What Mobile Development Platforms solution do you use?

Windows 10 SDK review by <span>Scott K.</span>
Scott K.

"Scott's UWP Review"

What do you like best?

Being able to have one set of code to work on all windows 10 platforms is very useful and removes a lot of the tedious work. It also makes maintainability and readability much easier

What do you dislike?

Thought there is a decent amount of support available, I think it would be beneficial for Windows to post another set of samples or videos. For example, when working with Pivots, we wanted to have our pivot at the bottom and the content above it. It took us FOREVER to find out how to do this, Microsoft mentioned that you could do it, but never said how. After awhile we were able to do it by playing with settings in the Pivot style, but it was quite the headache.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the video series done by Microsoft. It gets you introduced and set up with UWP and helps you become a xaml pro in no time.

We are building an app to connect OBD of cars to get information and be able to give feedback to help encourage efficient and eco-friendly driving. We have found drawing a sleek looking gauge in the app was fairly easy

Windows 10 SDK review by <span>Kelly S.</span>
Kelly S.

"Useful App Developer"

What do you like best?

Very intuitive interface that promotes reasonably simple operations for creating new applications. I am not a power user by any means yet I have little difficulty in understanding and utilizing the software package.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike thus far, but sometimes simple tasks are not intuitively integrated thus requiring research as well as additional time to discover the solution and operation. Otherwise it is a brilliant design package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. There's little to lose in so doing.

App development. No benefits thus far, but hopes of designing a worthwhile and popular app using the Windows 10 SDK software package.

Windows 10 SDK review by <span>Shivam A.</span>
Shivam A.

"A novel experience for windows devs"

What do you like best?

- The ability to create responsive design

- Better support for Cortana and live tile - I wish they had that in windows 8.1. Still, definitely an improvement from the existing system.

- Interactive toasts

- Native compiling. I have been waiting so long for this.

What do you dislike?

- Lots of scope for improvement of cortana

- Documentation for new features and services is still pretty less.

- Implementation of adaptive trigger and relative panels can be improved

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great start for microsoft. I really hope that they will slowly integrate all the great features of the other platforms.

Do try it.

I was solving the problem of search for and discovering great places to eat. The app which I work on, zomato, is an easy-to-use restaurant finder app that lets the users explore all the dining options in their city. It allows users to browse through updated menus, pictures, and user reviews to decide where they want to eat. I also used the bing maps integration to allow users to navigate to the restaurant.

Windows 10 SDK review by <span>Julian G. W.</span>
Julian G. W.

"A hazardous product"

What do you like best?

Having worked on a Universal Windows Platform application, the Windows 10 SDK offered a quick method to visualise information, and display it on the three device families (Desktop, tablet and phone). Using the MVVM structure correctly is very rewarding, and the XAML elements provided for resolution independent designing were pleasant to use.

What do you dislike?

The Windows Phone Emulator could not simulate location. Deploying to a remote phone would often stop working inexplicably and I'm still trying to get tech support on the matter. The Cortana integration library is not documented clearly enough, having me rely mostly on the samples provided on github.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At the time of writing, I consider the SDK to still be young. There are still a great number of bugs around, especially concerning the mobile platform, and not enough clear dates are mentioned on when these will be fixed. To me, this platform seems to be on the edge of either recovering and creating a great experience for developing and using alike or becoming a half-finished buggy mess before the next large upgrade hits restarting the same process again. Therefore, be wary of using the Windows 10 SDK.

I've worked on an power consumption monitoring app using the Fibaro Wall plug and Syncfusion's Line-of-Business library. It charts the information gathered. Furthermore I worked with the Phillips Hue Lights to test Cortana integration. Being forced to use Visual Studio and Windows 10 made developing from my preferred setup impossible and the bloated software took up a lot of diskspace.

Learning about Windows 10 SDK?

* We monitor all Windows 10 SDK reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.