Windows 8

Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows 8 for new devices.

Work for Windows 8?

Learning about Windows 8?

Windows 8 Reviews

Ask Windows 8 a Question
Showing 122 Windows 8 reviews
Windows 8 review by Richard G.
Richard G.

" Windows 8 Experience"

What do you like best?

It is a very pleasant operating system to use, Its easy to install, plus its integration with social networks One of the features I love most of this system is that it allows you to receive notifications automatically and participate in social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and other .

What do you dislike?

the truth is I have no complaints about this operating system, I think it is a good update and is currently my favorite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you use windows 8 for its so simple to use and its so nice appearance in addition to its features this system has excellent applications.

Currently my work computer has the Windows 8 operating system in which I develop all my daily activities, and it is very practical and pleasant when it comes to walking through its application menu.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windows 8
Windows 8 review by JAGDISH A.
JAGDISH A.

"Using Windows 8 for all your requirements."

What do you like best?

I like Windows 8. This operating system was the advanced version of its earlier versions Windows 7 and Windows XP. Most of us we used to the old versions so using this new operating system was difficult for us. But after a few years of its launch we got adapted to using this operating system.

Now we find this system easy to use and matching to our needs. Earlier Windows 7 was definitely simple to use but it lacked some additional features according to modern day requirements. So Windows 8 is good for some future requirements.

What do you dislike?

Well this operating system is different. Although this system had lot of new features many people do not get used to it particularly the people who are more familiar with the older versions.

Many people have installed some applications which allow us to use this operating system like the old Windows 7 or Windows XP. Except this issue all new features are useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this operating system to the users. This is a good product and definitely it has advanced features and requires some improvements also i the interface. But still it is good for advanced productivity needs like documents processing, emails and internet and storage services.

All types of business activities like internet, email, storage, office documents are done by us using this operating system.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Windows 8 review by Eric B.
Eric B.

"Windows 8 ... I think they rushed it."

What do you like best?

It was a nice attempt to update the User Interface and begin to consolidate a look and feel across the product line of desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. The boxes were colorful, the memory management was improved and it was built with SecureBoot, which was a great step in security. The initial sign-in screen was beautiful with the artistic Seattle skyline.

What do you dislike?

It was rushed. There were very few positive reviews of this from early adopters, as well as technical and non-technical writers and bloggers. The login screen was beautiful, but not very intuitive. Once you signed in (with a required Microsoft account, which was another bad idea), nobody knew what to do. Or how to get your desktop. Or log off. The Charms bar was hard to access, the look and feel of Windows that they'd build since Chicago was gone. People were lost, and people lost interest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally, I would recommend going to Windows 10, as they've seemed to fix the User Interface to have that Windows look and feel they've had since Windows 95 with the up-to-date cross-platform interface they have with the Windows phone UI. I know some places aren't comfortable yet with Windows 10, so I'd recommend Windows 8.1 as it took a lot of the pain points of Windows 8 and improved on them.

None, and none. Outside of our QA and Surface RT users, we never adopted Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. We waited for Windows 10.

Windows 8 review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Behind TimesQ"

What do you like best?

Our IT dept. is behind times on making sure that our computers are up-to-date. However, I have found that Windows 8 has for the most part has had no compatibility issues when it comes to using programs on these systems. The positive is that this system is very similar to many of the older versions of Microsoft Windows so it really does not take a learning curve to figure out how to use it. Most of the programs that we use on it are internet based.

What do you dislike?

I really do not have any dislikes about the operating system itself, compared to some of the newer versions that I have used. This one is more like buying a new car without the fancy buttons, it gets you from point A to Point B without having to use a GPS.

This operating system helps us to be more efficient and it takes away the need for paper and pencil!

Windows 8 review by User in Computer Software

"Windows 8 Review"

What do you like best?

Everything in this Windows 8 is quite different and unique from earlier versions of Windows. Windows 8 recognized the increasing role of internet and its services in people's life thus designed it accordingly ,

What do you dislike?

The one thing that might be improved is the whole different section for apps , as that creates much overhead and sometimes even slows down the PC ,when some heavy work is going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes i will recommend other to use this product for sure. As this is quite user friendly and enhance the speed of working of the end user with leaps and bounds .

Works very good when you contant online support.

Various web applications according to utility.

Quite good and fast in multitasking .

Windows 8 review by Kathleen E. H.
Kathleen E. H.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

I like the difference in the interface between 7 and 8. It was more eye-catching and pleasing to engage with. It also groups my apps together, which allows for ease of finding programs.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I don't like about Windows 8!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because it is possible to group apps and programs, I would recommend getting into the organization features so that you can customize it, rather than going with the default settings. The default settings work just fine, but you have the opportunity to really customize your experience!

The biggest benefit for me is that it groups all of my apps and programs into like categories. It makes them easier to find, especially given the volume of apps and programs I use for work. I also like that I can interact easily with the interface on my tablet and can swipe to new pages and categories effortlessly.

Windows 8 review by Holly F.
Holly F.

"Windows 8 is great for computer training companies!"

What do you like best?

Great to use on touchscreen computers. More like apple products and can be very user friendly for non-computer literate people who are already using a touch pad and now purchased a touch screen for computer or laptop. Definitely need to upgrade to 8.1 though because some of the issues have been somewhat resolved. Newer backgrounds, screen savers, colors, desktop options, etc. Definitely more stable than some previous versions of Windows.

What do you dislike?

Very cumbersome for users that are still using the mouse and do not have a touch screen. Mouse users have 3-4 times as many clicks to do something they way they used to do it in pre-windows 8. Upgrading to 8.1 helped mouse users slightly. The worst feature....mouse users can't figure out how to close a window! Microsoft really blew it on this one for all mouse users but it's great for computer trainers because their business increased substantially due to having to retrain all of the regular computer users. Older generation of computer beginners definitely have problems with windows 8 interface. Microsoft really forgot about their mouse users with this version and should be hammered for it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 is great if have a touch screen and is a more modern interface. But hard to learn if still using a mouse and don't have a touch screen yet.

Since I am a computer trainer I love that all of the issues with Windows 8 just increased my business!

Windows 8 review by Paul M.
Paul M.

"Tried and true operating system."

What do you like best?

Windows has gotten faster with each release since it's inception. Its small footprint leaves plenty of space on my hard drive to store meaningful date.

What do you dislike?

The search index process seems to bloat every now and again but there is plenty of information on Microsoft to resolve those types of issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 does the job. I highly recommend it!

I'm able to run Windows via Parallels Desktop for Mac to support my clients and can replicate browser issues on multiple platforms at once.

Windows 8 review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Making adjustments"

What do you like best?

I like that all of my essential programs (ticketing and data collection) can only operate on Windows 8, and that the upgrade would have knocked out my ability to work. I also like that after years of using Windows 8 at home for personal use, the interface is user friendly.

What do you dislike?

While I am familiar with the system, I prefer the much easier Windows 10, which kept the good of 8 and brought back the ease of use that previous versions had.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate the compatibility of your essential software and go from there. If possible, go with Windows 10 as it is much more user friendly. If not, Windows 8 is a suitable, easy to use operating system.

I work in sports ticketing, so the problem is how to operate the ticketing system, and the upgrade wouldn't allow for that, so the benefit is a smooth operation, especially on marquee event days.

Windows 8 review by Jorge G.
Jorge G.

"My experience with Windows 8"

What do you like best?

The visual upgrades from previous Windows versions are very welcome. I like the tiles and I use them for quick access to information, like weather, news headlines, etc.

I also like the two separate modes: apps and desktop.

What do you dislike?

The start button - a very recognizable Windows element - wasn't there. I had to guess my way around in the first days.

The tile menu is terrible, once you get past the first columns or so. That menu isn't practical at all when it comes to finding a program, even though the search feature helps a bit with that.

I code mostly for clients that use Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10), and I have to test the websites on Internet Explorer. Linux is a better choice in terms of development environment, but it lacks the software I use in my day to day professional like. Windows runs all that.

Windows 8 review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Easy Operating System"

What do you like best?

I like that Windows 8 would provide updates without fees to the user. There is more integration with the web browser, which makes finding things an easier task in a difficult environment. I like that Microsoft puts out new versions, and does not charge for updating to Windows 10 with this version.

What do you dislike?

Windows moved away from the menu system that made them famous. Instead, opting for ridiculous windows to find things. It takes much more time to navigate than previous versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for Windows 10. Windows 8 was an experiment gone wrong. Although there is more integration with the web browser, it is not yet, "there".

Windows is the most widely used operating system in the world. It runs the productivity software that we use each and every day. It gives us the security we need, and at the same time gives the freedom to do our work without fear of security failures. Windows allows us to be more productive and competitive in the business environment.

Windows 8 review by Roberta J.
Roberta J.

"Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 7; Is there really a difference besides adding swipe technology?"

What do you like best?

I'm not a fan of Windows 8. I personally feel that Windows 8 was full of bugs and presented the user with an unfriendly interface. We also faced problems with the OS being incompatible with other programs that we need to use daily.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like swiping from one screen to the next. I also didn't like the home screen and how the programs were set up like apps. It made me feel like I was using an OS that was made for a tablet instead of an OS made for a fully functioning computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do Not buy this software.

We are not using Windows 8 any longer because it caused more problems than it solved. I honestly haven't seen any benefits of using Windows 8. I have heard other users say that they enjoyed using it on their touch screen devices.

Windows 8 review by Gustavo M.
Gustavo M.

"It's a good job tool"

What do you like best?

The fastest way it installs updates or new applications, I also like the user interface, because it looks friendly.

I like its integration with microsoft office and other PC applications is a plus.

What do you dislike?

The one and only issue with Windows is when you have to close the applications because it stops by itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is a great job tool.

Network Connectivity

Windows 8 review by Casey S.
Casey S.

"Despite it's smooth operation, Windows 8 is unfamiliar and polarizing as a result"

What do you like best?

Functionally, Windows 8 is as smooth of an operating system that I've used (I've been paying attention to operating systems since XP). It handled multiple operations without issue, it actually helped self-diagnose when the few issues that I had arose, and the multi-platform utilization is a nice touch, particularly if you are a Windows phone user or if you use Microsoft gaming systems (Xbox 360 and Xbox One). The application approach is a nice change of pace for some, and makes the PC experience a bit more competitive with the MAC world; however this transition is one of the more controversial transitions that I can think of when it comes to computers. For some, it was a welcome change of pace, for others it was a major frustration (will be addressed below).

What do you dislike?

Windows should have done a better job with the transition from the traditional home screen appearance of older iterations of Windows to the new tile approach of Windows 8. It looked different, acted different, and felt different for an extended amount of time. The standard desktop is still available, but it is buried a few layers deep and is somewhat frustrating to try and access. Beyond that, the app aspect wasn't really ready to launch as the main approach to computing, however they continued to build this up as time went past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are adventurous and looking for a change of pace, Windows 8 may be for you. If you feel more comfortable in the realm of XP, Vista, and 7, then skip Windows 8 and jump to Windows 10.

After becoming familiar with the application/tile approach in Windows 8, I felt as though I could more readily switch between programs. My efficiency and productivity increased once I became familiar with the new design.

Windows 8 review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Stable but Clunky"

What do you like best?

Windows 8 seems to be pretty stable and if you can make use of the metro side of it on a tablet, the interface is fairly intuitive. It's easy to search for files and programs on the metro side.

What do you dislike?

Combining the tablet'ish (metro) mode within the typical Windows Desktop is pretty much a failure. Metro is good for tablets and that's about it. By default it should be turned off for laptops and desktop computers. The lack of a typical start menu is also frustrating. Thankfully Windows 10 brings this back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am not sure if Windows 8 is readily available anymore. If it is, I would skip it and go straight to Windows 10. Windows 10 is much more user friendly and seems to be very stable as well.

This really does not solve business problems other than providing the user with more current compatibility than Windows 7. If anything it metro makes it more difficult. I find it tough to walk clients through processes with the confusing metro side of Windows 8.

Windows 8 review by M. Sophia N.
M. Sophia N.

"Quite good"

What do you like best?

This is a fairly neutral experience, if only because use is so ubiquitous.

What do you dislike?

The life at a glance panel is over-sized to an unnecessary degree, and the "play and explore" panel on the start menu is purely a waste of space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that this be decided in terms of the type of work being done, as in some industries this is standard whereas in other industries it is not. Often this choice rests only on the C-suite executives; perhaps the opinions of the rank and file are good to include here.

I use this for my business on a daily basis, so rather than a specific problem to be solved, it is a foundation.

Windows 8 review by Giuseppe A.
Giuseppe A.

"Some steps back from windows 7"

What do you like best?

I like the stability of the system, the compatibility with many devices and hardware, the support and the OS in general.

What do you dislike?

I don't like metro UIX and in general the application management. Windows store is not really good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

New installation sghould start always from edge technology. I think you should use windows8 only if it has some unique feature that windows 7 or 10 don't have.

nothing really... we just upgrede some pc from 7 trying to emprove performance.

Windows 8 review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"I'm not a fan of Windows 8"

What do you like best?

I like that Windows attempted to make the interface more user friendly and similar to Macs. There aren't any major bugs with this os.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the changes they made were so drastic that it is almost unrecognizable when using tiles on a desktop PC. Using the newer views would be more appropriate on a tablet of a mobile device. For a desktop, it is too clunky. A lot of the user interface wastes system resources on the flashy graphics which aren't necessary for a workstation that can tax the CPU.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like using a Mac, this may be the one Windows operating system, that you like, If you like Windows, this operating system may be a shock to you. If you really don't like Windows 8 but are forced to use it, you can download and change the layouts to emulate Windows 7.

Windows 8 is compatible with most older and current hardware and continues to be compatible with the majority of software. I am able to use all of the software that I need to with Windows 8.

Windows 8 review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"I used Windows 8 on my personal laptop for about two years before updating to Windows 10. "

What do you like best?

The functionality was great; programs performed well and did not crash; cloud storage was free and worked well, and personalization options were plentiful and well-thought out. I liked the LiveTiles compared to the old (tiny) desktop icons that I'd have to pinpoint with my mouse pointer. Compatibility with my Asus touchscreen laptop was great.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Word docs that I saved to my OneDrive would have fully retained all formatting and fonts. Unfortunately this was not always the case; features such as margins, indentation, etc. were often altered and had to be repaired to restore my Word files to their original appearance..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product.

I used the email app to manage two personal email accounts. I also used Microsoft Office for word processing, spreadsheets, and a few other tasks. I used Internet Explorer to browse the web. These were for personal purposes as well as for managing a small rental property business that I operate in addition to my regular full-time career. All programs functioned well and as needed.

Windows 8 review by Josh A.
Josh A.

"Ok operating system. Stepping stone to the future"

What do you like best?

The operating system is virtually crashless and extremely fast. Great file management

What do you dislike?

Very disjointed between being a desktop and tablet OS. The metro apps tend to lack functionality. Windows 8 start menu is terrible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use windows 10 at this point. Windows 8 was a stepping stone.

Windows 8 really isn't a great OS for business. It was a good proof of concept for what would become windows 10, but that's it.

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Medical Practice
Administrator in Medical Practice

"Windows 8. My favorite Windows!"

What do you like best?

I love navigating on Windows 8. Going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 was like a world of change. I found Windows 7 to be difficult to use and I found it very confusing. Windows 8 was like a sigh of relief for me. It makes my workload easier because computing is done with such ease. Finding different programs is easier. Changing settings is easy. No questionable confusing Windows that pop up. It's straight and to the point and I'm confident that others agree with my point of view on the changes made.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all. I really can't find one flaw that I would change in the new system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need to make the change!

Finding records for patients with ease. Finding programs very simply. I have realized how fast and simple this system is and would never want to change it.

Windows 8 review by Andrew W.
Andrew W.

"not as bad as it could be"

What do you like best?

I like the changes from Windows 7. The start screen was an improvement. It had better driver support than windows 7 too.

What do you dislike?

it's not windows 10. I really don't have anything negative to say about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go to WIndows 10 or stick with Windows 7. I had enjoyed Windows 8 and 8.1, but it is not as convenient as the previous or latest versions of WIndows.

It's a version of windows that actually had better driver support than windows 7, but there's not really any solutions that are being solved by WIndows 8.

Windows 8 review by Christopher R.
Christopher R.

"Better for personal than professional use"

What do you like best?

I like that it is smoother than Windows 7 and far more business friendly than Apple. However, Windows 8 is far less business oriented than Windows 7. Windows 8.1 makes an improvement on the business side of it. However, at this juncture I cannot recommend Windows 8 for business over Windows 7.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the focus on apps. The apps could be good if they were better designed and did not seem to make a touchscreen almost mandatory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use windows 8 for home systems with touchscreens, use Windows 7 for everything else.

It doesn't solve any business problems over Windows 7.

Windows 8 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Slow especially for someone who had used Windows 10"

What do you like best?

What I initially loved was this being a forward looking approach of MS team, App based, intuitive and revolutionary design/step forward.

What do you dislike?

Slow load times in enterprise setup (you feel even more when you have used Windows 10)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would expect this to be best in terms of security and possibly better to be on latest than not.

I would rate it as more secure, user friendly since this is app based and works well within the enterprise setup.

Windows 8 review by Jody H.
Jody H.

"Nice Upgrade!"

What do you like best?

I liked the fact that the installation process was relatively easy and that all my applications, no matter how old, still seem to be working properly. I love the integration with my google and yahoo accounts to make everything I do come together more seamlessly. Also, I've recently been using their OneDrive feature to access documents on all my devices. This is very convenient and makes me more productive on the go. There are still a number of glitches with One Drive on the iPad (to be fair, it's in beta). There are errors that are not yet explained well, but still worth the seamless productivity for my Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents across my desktop and mobile devices.

What do you dislike?

Coming from Windows 7, it was a very different experience. I'm still getting used to it. Everything you are used to in Windows 7, like system administration features have changed considerably. Over the years I became a Windows power user. I think ultimately Win 8 will be easier to use for the average user, but I'm having to take a step back.

Windows 8 helps me most with mobile productivity and device switching. I don't have a Mac desktop at home or work, so this helps bridge the platform gap to my mobile Apple devices.

Windows 8 review by Kyle Q.
Kyle Q.

"NOT AS GOOD AS WINDOWS 7 OR XP!"

What do you like best?

- The same Windows feel, just a different look, but same easy to use interface when you get to the Desktop.

- Increased search engine system to find applications in your system.

- A good Operating System for the Surface or Touchscreen Systems.

- Most applications work properly on Windows 8 like they did on Windows 7.

What do you dislike?

- The Metro Interface is a HUGE turnoff to desktop users, but on the Surface and the Windows Phone it makes sense and is alright.

- Not a big fan of the amount of resources Windows 8 hogs for basic systems.

- Have had a lot of issues with AMD Drivers causing some weird glitches (Rare, but still needs to be noted) with multiple screens with my Catalyst Drivers. On a single screen however there are no issues I have seen that were 'game breaking'.

- Some applications have some compatibility issues but can be worked around with a little ingenuity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a touch screen monitor or tablet/laptop, it works a lot better than the traditional Desktop experience.

We updated to the newest Windows iteration to get the best experience, however, we noticed that Windows 8 isn't the best solution for all of our business needs, but we are making it work until we can receive a Windows 10 demo to see if we need to upgrade.

Windows 8 review by Jeremy H.
Jeremy H.

"Not ready for primetime - see Windows 10"

What do you like best?

Graphic interface is sharp and modern. Great for tablet-based browsing.

What do you dislike?

App mode is almost useless for those without a touch interface is somewhat clunky for those who use it. Tough to remember all the gestures necessary for robust use of App mode. Miss the Start button.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider jumping directly to 10 for a great compromise between the stability of Windows 7 with the touch interface of Windows 8.

Frankly little use out of this upgrade. Windows 7 was much more table and usable in a business setting than Windows 8.

Windows 8 review by Alec B.
Alec B.

"Windows 8 started weak but has gained great strength "

What do you like best?

It is much more efficient with memory and data usage compared to previous editions of the Windows Operating system. It also has a very efficient and fast search feature which I have found to be a great help when searching for programs and files. I have also noticed that Windows 8 feels very smooth and clean.

What do you dislike?

The start screen. I do not like the tiles and the start screen I never use it and never will. The start menu is where it is at. If that was a choice, that would make this Operating System much better. Sadly, that can only be done through third party software which brings down Windows 8.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Over windows 7, I do recommend Windows 8. Over OSX, I heavily recommend Windows 8. It is the best Operating System on the market.

It is the operating system I use for my Laptop and dessktop. It runs my computers and being a computer Science Major, it also runs my career.

Windows 8 review by Cindy M.
Cindy M.

"Love hate relationship"

What do you like best?

I really like the clean look of the lock screen when you first open the computer, before you type in your password. I like that there's a home screen for apps (even though I never use it), and since I have a touchscreen, it's almost like using a cellphone or tablet.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike that the entire layout is so much more different from the normal Windows layout. It was also not easy to learn how to use a completely new operating system when all the past versions were so uniform. The floating side tab that comes out every time you put your mouse to the right side of the screen is very annoying. The button on the keyboard that goes directly to the apps screen is annoying because I never use it. I don't need it to connect to a Microsoft account when this laptop is only for my personal use and I don't use Outlook on this. And I'm not sure if it's my computer or if it's all the animations that come with Windows 8 that make doing anything really laggy.

Haven't solved any business problems, nor did I see any benefits worthy of mentioning.

Windows 8 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Stable, but not quite there. "

What do you like best?

Tabletlike interface, makes it more user friendly to the modern consumer. And it's certainly more stable than some previous versions and less of a resource hog.

What do you dislike?

The fact that the "app" interface is like a whole separate screen makes it a little harder to navigate. And there is still a lot missing from those that are more in tune with a tablet or mobile platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your still on an older version of Windows, it's worth the upgrade. If your already on 10, stay on 10.

VPN is nice addition to 8, as is the ability to add actual apps.

Windows 8 review by Summer S.
Summer S.

"Good product"

What do you like best?

The layout is more user friendly and easy to use. The tabs are nice and I like that I can customize the layout.

What do you dislike?

It took awhile to get used to the change. Once I got used to it, however, I liked it better than Windows7.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time getting familiar with all the new features.

Windows8 really helped create documents for presentations and made everything easy to organize and create. It made doing everything I needed to for work easy and seamless.

Windows 8 review by Mark H.
Mark H.

"Windows 8 and Windows 8.1"

What do you like best?

The ease of adding printers - no more having to wait on Windows Update to find the correct drivers

Windows 8.1

The most needed Start button - helping everyone navigate around much smoother.

What do you dislike?

The tablet look of Windows 8 and hard to get around layout of the operating system with their new tricky disappearing features. Hard to find what you need especially when needed quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get Windows 8.1!

In the wake of Microsoft stopping their support for prior versions of Windows, you must keep your workplace current to prevent security attacks from the outside.

Windows 8 review by Satish S.
Satish S.

"Windows 8 is the user friendly software known to everyone"

What do you like best?

Windows 8 is user friendly software and good to install on any user personal computer. I have installed it on my personal computer and found that its much more better in terms of performance and the fanciness than windows 7. The touch functionality which is introduced in windows 8 by Microsoft revolutionizes every desktop software to migrate to it. Its app store is one of the best to get all the application from Microsoft store.

What do you dislike?

Most common dislikes about any software comes into picture when the cost is more. Yes the cost is somewhat I dislike, It could be less expensive as we are getting lot more freewares in market which competed with windows with cost and more over with all the features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good OS to use.

I use ti with my PC and at my workplace I use windows 7 which I like .

Windows 8 review by Tanesha J.
Tanesha J.

"Was not a fan but don't hate it."

What do you like best?

I did like the modern look kinda. I loved the OneDrive included, we use that all the time.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like the layout I ended up using a shell for the first few months to a year. I didn't like the start menu or the task bar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Window 7 start button.

No problem, didn't give a benefit.

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Windows 8.1 Pro Has been stable and successful"

What do you like best?

Have been able to utilize windows 8 deployed across mobile devices successfully. Has been easy to image and re-deploy.

What do you dislike?

This OS was designed, as far as I am concerned for mobile devices only. It is fine for a tablet type hardware and designed for the use of the buttons / tiles. Does not go well with anything other than a tablet, in my mind.

Have to use a third party application to design custom tiles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is okay once you get used to it. Took quite some time to get used to.

Solved issue of needing new hardware and OS for mobile field devices. It has worked well on surface units and served its purpose.

Windows 8 review by Melissa Y.
Melissa Y.

"Better than 10, not as great as 7"

What do you like best?

While I much prefer Windows 8 to Windows 10, it does not surpass Windows 7 in my opinion. It's easier to use than 10 since that is more for touchscreens and is not as user friendly when using it on a regular non-touchscreen computer.

What do you dislike?

I prefer the ease of Windows 7 - they tried to make Windows 8 too much and it just doesn't work as well.

As with the other Windows software, we simply use it until the upgrade comes out.

Windows 8 review by Danielle J.
Danielle J.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

Honestly the only thing I like about Windows 8 is the color choices and customizable.

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to use, it loses a lot of my information because I can't find it if I switch between pages icons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely refuse to buy anything windows. It is not user friendly AT ALL. It is not easy to use and it is not easily taught.

None, except maybe Microsoft Office

Windows 8 review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"Windows 8 for Me"

What do you like best?

I like the speed and clarity at which the program runs and appears.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the constant apps closing when I switch screens (I have dual monitors).

I am able to get a lot more done with a smooth running operation!

Windows 8 review by Nicholas W.
Nicholas W.

"Quick but confusing, not bad but not impressive"

What do you like best?

I like the speed and fluid feel it has with animations, and appreciate the some new features that allow more usability with the screen real estate. I love the new viewer apps for images and videos to make my content feel cinematic and good quality.

What do you dislike?

overall feel very lost even as a pretty competent Windows and Mac user. Would like to see see more efficiency producing tools/features. I dislike that the things I like are still lacking realistic use cases. For example I can't browse images using the left/right arrow like I would want to. Also like on a Mac it would be nice if I could just hit the space bar and open the viewer and then hit space bar again to close

As a web developer I solve technical issues and support issues. The OS doesn't typically determine whether or not I can accomplish what I need but it does limit the tools/software that I use. I often look for software that is available on both windows/mac so that I'm never locked to one platform over another. I really wish the command prompt wasn't lacking so much but I've over come that using console2.

Windows 8 review by Joanne M. L.
Joanne M. L.

"Windows 8 Review"

What do you like best?

I find it easy to navigate. I am able to use the same tools that I was used to in the former Windows version with the updated system.

What do you dislike?

There still seems to be bugs to work out.

I work on benefit plans and couldn't do my job without the software.

Windows 8 review by Mario V.
Mario V.

"NO SÉ QUÉ QUISIERON HACER"

What do you like best?

que levante rápido y su gráfica colorida.

La versión 8.1 mejoró muchas cosas, había más orden y se volvió más intuitivo.

Además la compatibilidad con todos los programas que ya tenía yo instalados no dió ningún problema.

What do you dislike?

se tardaron mucho en sacar los drivers para el bios de equipos nuevos, algunas funciones (como el bluettoth y wl wifi) se volvieron inestables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Actualicen a 8.1, no pierdan la calma y recuerden que está más orientado a tablets

Yo era un usuario común, sólo necesitaba que me dejase trabajar con el paquete Adobe, y lo hizo bien.

Windows 8 review by Tiffany O.
Tiffany O.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

Still having the start menu is useful to have

What do you dislike?

The size of icons in the start menu is too large. The search function is clunky and doesn't seem as detailed as Windows 7.

Invoicing, billing. No benefits

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Stable, fast, user friendly, misunderstood"

What do you like best?

- It seems lightweight (fast)

- Finding settings is easy with text search

- Stable

What do you dislike?

Comes with preinstalled apps that are useless to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 is currently more stable than Windows 10, while searchability and performance seems to be equal.

We needed an OS for work and home that was versatile, cheap, stable and easy to configure. Windows 8 was well tested too, given its age.

Windows 8 review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Acceptable business OS"

What do you like best?

The one advantage to Windows 8 over other operating systems on the market is its ubiquity in business and compatibility with software -- it lags behind other OS's in terms of usability and design.

What do you dislike?

Windows tends to not innovate too much, instead opting to copy the successful features of other operating systems after they have been around for a few years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really the only option in terms of business operating systems.

Windows 8 has allowed us to work with all different software that is important to making our business run smoothly.

Windows 8 review by Consultant in Construction
Consultant in Construction

"It is streamline and has cool colors"

What do you like best?

color scheme and windows look snazzy. Windows 8 tries to get you to tie your Windows login to your Microsoft account; it’s optional, but if you do link the two, the Windows login and password serve as your Microsoft account login and password. Enabling this link allows tighter integration with the remote and cloud-based features of the new OS.

What do you dislike?

i don't like that it doen't have a full start menu. Navigation on the windows can be difficult. You cannot boot directly into the desktop, since Microsoft wants the Start screen to be users’ initial experience with Windows 8. For most people, this restriction may not be an issue, but certain vertical applications (specialized programs, such as those for point-of-sale PCs) need to boot directly into a desktop environment. Until Windows 8 versions of such programs become available, users requiring vertical applications should stick with earlier versions of Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

I am an engineer and consultant and all i do is solve problems with my computer running on windows.

Windows 8 review by James G.
James G.

"Windows 7 Nostalgia Inducer"

What do you like best?

After a year of use, I still find it neat how fast Windows 8 starts up. I push the power button and a few seconds later it's good to go. Microsoft did figure out a creative way to squander all that saved time though. While picking my brain for things I like about 8, other than the boot up, I realized they were simply the things I liked about Windows 7.

What do you dislike?

The most aggravating issue is Microsoft's not so subtle ways of pushing your hands off the keyboard and mouse and onto the touchscreen. When I click on the start menu with a mouse, I expect a mouse friendly start menu to open up. Instead, I get a gaudy and inconvenient start screen that I have to plow through. My laptop's touchpad has been dissected from a rectangle to some sort of invisible polygon that, when navigated without caution of a minefield engineer, my screen will rain strange and useless menus of some sort from some sort of alternate dimension in which the word "intuitive" does not exist. Am I an old stooge? Is there something wrong with my mouse and keyboard that I didn't know needed fixing? All the touchscreen "improvements" have just caused delay and aggravation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the future Windows 8 will be looked upon as an awkward "missing link" fossil from keyboard mouse to touch input. I can't speak to the experience of Windows 8 on a tablet that relies solely, but I can tell you that the way the OS constantly tries to get you to use the touch screen is extremely frustrating. The extra boot up and shut down times of Windows 7 are simply worth it for now. I could in no way recommend this product to anyone.

Windows 8 really hasn't solved anything for me. In fact, the jump from 7 to 8 has created a bunch of new problems. The "upgrade" has cluttered and slowed down my experience as a user.

Windows 8 review by Siddhartha V.
Siddhartha V.

"They had good things when designing this, but couldn't implement it correctly. Thank god for 8.1"

What do you like best?

The fast bootup, the new flat design, and the responsiveness. I also like the new interface they had. It's pretty sleek and modern.

What do you dislike?

The full-screen start screen which doesn't do much if you're not a user of the Metro apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Skip this OS. Now that 10 is out, get that one.

Software Developer. Sometime code on VS. Not much benefits to Windows 7. Though the new Metro SDK which came with the OS release opened a lot of doors for app developers.

Windows 8 review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"intuitive and easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the function and flow of the start menu. It makes it easy to access everything through a few clicks vs hunting aimlessly.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I dislike

I use design software that makes it difficult to save what I make to a JPEG vs a program specific file. With the snipping tool it makes it a breeze to capture the image and save it as a JPEG.

Windows 8 review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"windows 8 review"

What do you like best?

easy to use, especially if you're not tech savvy.

What do you dislike?

crashing websites, the build up of cookies, and the more you browse on the internet, the slower it gets (unless you clear your browsing history regularly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

great software, not a lot of issues at all. I'd chose windows and recommend windows out of any software products out there.

none at the moment.

Windows 8 review by mary c.
mary c.

"better than windows 7"

What do you like best?

What I like is all of the new features and updates and the fact that they tell you when there ready

What do you dislike?

I really dislike The long updates that are random and shut your computer down forever

faster service to our customers

Windows 8 review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"Mixed...at best"

What do you like best?

I like that they tried to do something different.

What do you dislike?

They gave it a try while alienating their main revenue generation point, the business place. The combined concept of universal interface was not functional. Different solutions are needed for different environments. A phone will never need the same functionality of an office system. Also, the driver compatibilities for older apps were advertised as compatible through the "run like windows "x"" in compatibility mode. That seldom functions as described.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay with windows 7, it will serve your needs with stability.

I have learned that Microsoft makes a usable business OS every other iteration or so.

Windows 8 review by Aditya R.
Aditya R.

"On my phone"

What do you like best?

Its ease of use. Very easy and you see what you get. You dont have to search for mins

What do you dislike?

Very slow and many a times unresponsive. The screen just dies on you and keeps waiting. Plus the store connectivity is very weak

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you are certain to complete the full research on what you can do and cannot

Trying to get the sales force use MIcrosoft phone is a pain. They need the OS to be fast and quick. Can compromise features for speed

Windows 8 review by Rachael C.
Rachael C.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

Simple to use, friendly user interface. Can't go wrong with windows. Also, very compatible with other systems

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I really dislike about Windows 8

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't go wrong with Windows 8.

Windows 8 is used in daily functions, from technical writing, collaborating with other researchers, etc

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Too much hassle for most users to learn"

What do you like best?

It's another stable operating system and provides further utilities for administration and use.

What do you dislike?

They tried to covert too much to a more mobile look and feel that it became user unfriendly for most people.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use Windows 8, move directly on to Windows 10. It is far more stable and user friendly.

A stable operating system for multiple laptops and desktops. There were no real benefits to converting.

Windows 8 review by Sam M.
Sam M.

"With the update to Windows 8.1, it makes this version of Windows tolerable"

What do you like best?

It was hard to sit down and think of what I thought was what I really liked the most with Windows 8. I ended up downloading a start menu alternative so I could have the old style back. With Windows 8.1 it brought a version of it back, but still lacking functionality. The one thing that I did think was a good idea, but not because it was part of Windows 8, but because of the further reach it implicated. Apps are a good idea and with Microsoft's new dedication to unifying the Window's ecosystem is a great idea. I like that the same source code can be used in Windows, on Windows phone, and Xbox. One app could be ran across all options, but that is in the testing phases. This was the main thing I liked the most, but that really is potential, not realized.

What do you dislike?

This would encompass a book, but I'll keep it to the main points. The main thing I disliked was the updated interface. I understand what Microsoft was attempting and if implemented better, it may have had a better solution. But, as it was released, Windows 8 was the new Vista. Stability issues, performance issues, hardware stability (I still have a driver for a wireless card that still has issues a year later), and various other compatibility issues. Developer support of Windows 8.1 has increased since Microsoft has started making course corrections to bring the software more inline with what consumers want. This is a step in the right direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you really had to (like using a tablet or Surface product) I would stay away from Windows 8. It is headed in the right direction, but you're best off staying away from this iteration and waiting until Windows 9 comes to market in 2015.

Windows 8.1 (let alone 8), in all probability, won't be adopted by businesses. The Surface 3 Pro is running Windows 8.1, but has extremely low market share and PC growth is in decline. Most businesses will stay with Windows 7 after XP's retirement. Like Vista, I don't see Windows 8 being widely adopted.

Windows 8 review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Windows 8, its not that bad."

What do you like best?

This was a great attempt at melding touch screen tablet style interfaces with the traditional Windows experience. This was a very stable and resource friendly system. Many of my asociates prefer this over windows 10 due to the privacy issues.

What do you dislike?

The touch interface elements are cumbersome on a desktop. The lack of a start button hurt at first.

This was my main os until I moved on to Windows 10.

Windows 8 review by Lily S.
Lily S.

"User Friendly and Nice UI"

What do you like best?

Windows is everyone familiar with and we have been using windows from such a long time. Windows 8 is a start with the new UI for the tab user experiences.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have one because i already used windows for such a long time

Dealer management system

Windows 8 review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"not my favorite version"

What do you like best?

The ability to switch between programs like a phone or tablet is nice. Also being able to pin and unpin programs from the toolbar is nice.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be confusing at times and it can be hard to find a program. I miss the old menu bar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the best version of windows

It has helped organize and integrate multiple devices.

Windows 8 review by Hermia L.
Hermia L.

"Windows for non-users"

What do you like best?

The familiar feel kept of the software. Not over the top in revamping the interface.

What do you dislike?

lack of good mouse click. ease of use is not as intuitive as eariler incarnations

Recommendations to others considering the product

wait for service pack to come out.

inventory tracking, leads into customers

Windows 8 review by Jeffrey R.
Jeffrey R.

"Beleive the bad reviews. This OS has issues with both GUI and usability"

What do you like best?

It does load faster on some older PC's vs Windows 7. If you can put up with all the hassle of the GUI the added speed is a nice benefit.

What do you dislike?

They made this OS to be loaded on both touch interfaces and non touch. This hybrid way of creation has made for a product that does not fit well in either environment though it is better on touch. It is almost unusable on a PC unless you add a third party product such as Classic Shell.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you need something specific only available in Windows 8 you would be better off staying with Windows 7 at this point.

We upgraded a few of our 2-3 year old laptops with Windows 8 for the benefit of faster boot time. This allowed us to extend the life of those laptops saving the company some fairly significant money in the short term.

Windows 8 review by Consultant in Construction
Consultant in Construction

"I used widows 8 for two years."

What do you like best?

Simple, fast, auto updates and low price. The user interface is excellent.

What do you dislike?

Lack of customer support. Delay in upgrading to Windows 10. I have received a notification 2 months ago that my windows 10 copy is ready and I'm still in the waiting stage, I don't think they will deliver.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is the time to switch to Windows 10.

Managing my business files

Windows 8 review by Hetal S.
Hetal S.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

If you buy a PC in the future, It will have windows 8 installed. I like the new functionality- the new start button, and the boot to desktop is cool. It does what exactly what it's named for- boots you right to the desktop with no metro screen in the way.There's a bing powered omnisearch which is my favorite feature.

What do you dislike?

Windows 8.1 still has a problem with scaling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am a fan of Microsoft and if you have a old computer running on windows 7, then don't upgrade. If you buy a new computer, you have no choice but to get used to windows 8.

I like the interface/the whole new look that Microsoft is going for. It's way better than vista/xp combined that's for sure.

Windows 8 review by Simon W.
Simon W.

"Ride the Learning Curve."

What do you like best?

Microsoft boldy took a step in the direction of how they perceive usability in the midst of a complicated device and OS landscape. And I like it.

There is certainly a learning curve associated with getting productive after the switch from Win7 to Win8... the challenge / opportunity here thought, is that Microsoft's Windows team doesn't have any better an idea where that curve is headed that you do. They are learning from the way in which we interact with our computers and moving the target based upon the results. Which makes for some frustration up front, but - if they stick their annual release cycles and keep it easy to move with them - there's an interesting future ahead.

What do you dislike?

For large organizations, the OS is only a small part of the workstation picture; the most visible, but not the most critical.

Keeping devices (PCs as well as Tablets) safe and then, equally as important, being able to report on the status of these devices all-up is a necessity for a distributed, security-conscious organization. And it can be challenging, particularly as devices become more mobile, more personal, and better connected.

With each Windows OS release comes a release of their partner product on the back end - System Center. Here's where the 'moving target' mentioned above is where Windows 8 becomes a challenging OS for a large organization. Having to rip-and-replace full SCCM environments, replacing them with the latest version is a big undertaking... and this version changes yearly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're on Windows 7, try to get to a state where you can securely, in an agile manner, embrace Windows 8.x (and beyond) in your environment.

Secure, user-centric mobility and device management.

Windows 8 review by Chris L.
Chris L.

"I know people hate it, but I actually like it"

What do you like best?

I have both a MacBook Pro and a Lenovo ThinkPad Twist... On my Lenovo, I use Windows 8 and really like how interactive it is and how it is basically like little widgets that show me whats going on, without me actually clicking into anything.

What do you dislike?

I wish that it would load the apps off of the home page faster. It takes a decent amount of time to load everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's worth it, it just takes time getting used to. Watch a video on how to use it before you start using it.

I use my Windows 8 computer for 1 business and my MacBook for the other. I think it solves all business problems the same way as any other computer does.

Windows 8 review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

This software is quicker than the older versions.

What do you dislike?

This software has more hangups/error messages than I would like!

Having a computer keep up with me is great!

"G2"

What do you like best?

It is a newer version of the previous. Faster

What do you dislike?

The set-up it is harder for me to find things.

Mainly projects, nothing too much.

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"It was the worst windows ever for me. "

What do you like best?

I did not like it at all. Very hard to use and not user friendly.

What do you dislike?

It was very hard to use and as a classical windows user the changes this software brought was shocking. Couldn't find anything I need at the places they were normally was.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not consider it. Windows 7 and 10 is a lot better

We did not use this software other than some of the notebooks came with it.

Windows 8 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Day to day mundane work!"

What do you like best?

MS office and most employer network plugins work seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

Not a great terminal to login to Linux workstations.

Coding and software development; product development

Windows 8 review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"Windows 8 Review"

What do you like best?

I like that it makes me feel as if I was working on a tablet while I'm using it. It has more features than window 7.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that some commonly used commands from windows 7 are totally different on windows 8. A common example for this will be the home/start menu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth using it.

I use this product for personal use. My job still uses windows 7 which do not have merely as much features as windows 8 does.

Windows 8 review by Jonathan P.
Jonathan P.

"Getting There"

What do you like best?

I love the touch screen features as well as the Home screen that lets you navigate through common or simple features. Listening to music, viewing pictures, writing a document, seeing the days top stories, or accessing the internet can be accessed very easily off of the home screen with one touch. Nice update for Microsoft.

What do you dislike?

It is a great upgrade for Microsoft computers, but it seems too much like a tablet operating system. Of course the desktop can be accessed like a regular computer, the home screen makes it too much like a tablet and not a computer at all. I may sound contradicting, but the spice just is not all there in terms of making an operating system for the constantly growing and advancing 21st century.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend playing with a computer that has Windows 8 before completely deciding to get it. It does take some getting used to because it is a complete change for Microsoft. Things seem very simple, but behind the face of a PC- hackable and always needing updates.

Windows 8 review by Stefan B.
Stefan B.

"The operating system that was not sure what it really was..."

What do you like best?

Fresh new interface. The tiles are actually pleasing and modern looking.

It might have triggered Apple to change the look of iOS.

What do you dislike?

Hybrid mess of old and new user interface paradigms. The new is OK, but severely simplified, whereas the old and trusted settings are hidden and scattered in different places.

Without a touch screen, I fail to see the real advantages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously: without a touch screen and with the very hybrid mixture between old and new, I would recommend to stick with Windows 7 for production environments.

Been mostly trying it, but for my Windows needs, I stick with Windows 7, which does not get in the way.

Windows 8 review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Win8"

What do you like best?

Good progress from Win7 toward Win10. Concepts being developed, although not fully realized.

What do you dislike?

Seems a bit half baked. Took a step backward in security.

We did not implement Win8 after initial testing; kept with Win7 until release of Win10

Windows 8 review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"Windows 8 you are too late!"

What do you like best?

Microsoft took a huge risk with this new interface. I like the touch screens but I have to admit when I'm done playing, I go back to the classic look and use Windows like I always have. Windows machines are also very cheap compared to our Macs.

What do you dislike?

I think the new interface is just average. It's not very organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you must have a Windows machine, get 8 with a touchscreen.

We keep one Windows machine for a few backoffice programs.

Windows 8 review by Paul L.
Paul L.

"An OS at your Fingertips"

What do you like best?

Finally a Microsoft OS that will provides the end user the ability to touch their screens to execute commands.

What do you dislike?

Not having a Start button with access to program shortcuts presents a major problem for all users. Not even with 8.1 did the full Start button features come back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Windows 8 for all tablet users. The ability to touch the screen to execute a command makes everything that much more efficient.

Windows 8 makes it possible for business users to carry a light weight tablet to access the entire Microsoft suite of products from email management to spreadsheet entries.

Windows 8 review by User in Internet

"Windows 8: Good UI and Usage, but broken by lack of start button"

What do you like best?

The UI is smooth and visually appealing. File copying program has better time estimation and includes a nice chart of file copying speed.

What do you dislike?

There is no native start button on the desktop. That is really bothersome

I have only used this for personal use. It is easier to use than Mac OS X.

Windows 8 review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"windows 8"

What do you like best?

I didn't like any of the updates, new touch screen was one good option.

What do you dislike?

The user interface was horrible, I found it very difficult to open the apps , software installation was very difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please don't use it, I found it very difficult

my personal laptop

Windows 8 review by Michael H.
Michael H.

"I love it! Built on the stable 7 OS but with some really cool enhancements"

What do you like best?

I know that many don't like it from the stable windows 7. But this is built on top of that and adds some really cool enhancements like disk burning with out extra software is easier and disk mounting from ISO etc.

What do you dislike?

I had to install the Windows Media Player and stuff separately because MS didn't want to pay the licenses. Kind of a drag.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the risk - embrace it! It's much cheaper than earlier versions of Windows!

PC operating system

Windows 8 review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"f"

What do you like best?

its alll rebranded, with many new features, i like touch screen, connectivity their app store . autmatically changing wall pper of the blue

What do you dislike?

it tries to sneek too much into my user data . that makes manu users littel uncomfortable .

enterprise solutions.

Windows 8 review by Tommy K.
Tommy K.

"Great for home, not so much for business"

What do you like best?

Microsoft did a great job of making Windows 8 sleeker and faster than any of its predecessors. I can't get over the fact that basically all the functionality and compatibility of Windows 7 and before is in the current version but it runs so much leaner and speedier. There is a "sexier" appeal to the UI and the Metro interface is great for a touchscreen. As an all-in-one OS that needs to bring a uniform experience to both traditional desktops and mobile platforms this is a great initial attempt at bridging the two.

What do you dislike?

You can tell this market demographic is too new and that while it is a great initial attempt at bridging traditional desktops and mobile platforms, this is still definitely a work in progress. The Metro interface is great for touchscreens but is clunky and hard to use with a mouse. The Desktop view needs to come standard with the more traditional Start Button, not the half-baked Start Button that Microsoft included in 8.1.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth the upgrade in terms of performance alone for the home or small business user. But on a traditional desktop or laptop, you absolutely need to install a third-party Start Button application such as Classic Shell. For the large enterprise, you'd probably have better luck waiting for the next iteration when Microsoft has hopefully learned from this initial experiment in tying together both a traditional and mobile OS.

Windows 8 review by User in Financial Services

"Standard windows OS"

What do you like best?

I have always used a PC. Windows 8 came with touch friendly app store. Took some time to aadjust to the new design

What do you dislike?

Disliked the way to navigate to the settings and apps

Windows 8 is installed on my hoe computer.

Windows 8 review by Adam R.
Adam R.

"Windows 8 in Tablets and Smartphones"

What do you like best?

The tile system, despite all the flak it gets on tech blogs, actually works brilliantly - it's much easier to find a particular program than it would be in the standard "start menu" program lists. Of course, if you prefer the desktop format for certain tasks, that's still available on tablets, laptops and desktop PCs. The phone OS is one of my favorites so far, combining the ease of use of an iPhone with the abilities of Android.

What do you dislike?

Without a touchscreen, Windows 8 is worse than useless - it's actually counterproductive. Also, the newness of the OS means that many apps you might have grown used to on other systems are not yet available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only use Windows 8 if you have:

a.) a touchscreen

b.) no pressing need for the latest apps

Otherwise, it's absolutely smashing.

Windows 8 review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

There weren't many advantages to note over Windows 7

What do you dislike?

The whole interface, while it might be great for tablets it is quite unpleasant to use on a normal laptop

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay with Windows 7 or go up to 10

Bookeeping

Windows 8 review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.

"Windows 8 Review"

What do you like best?

Portability across laptops, desktops, and tablets. Appearance is best for new users. Ability to fall back to traditional mode was smart.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to implement for a small organization, as there are many interdependencies between the OS and applications. The OS tries to take too much control of the applications, often times confusing users between the Microsoft ID and the application ID.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wait at least another year if possible.

Have not realized any benefits, but W8 is really the default choice for inexpensive laptops.

Windows 8 review by User in Financial Services

"Window 8 is not worth your time - Jump to Windows 10"

What do you like best?

Im not a fan, but I like the tiles and the initial direction

What do you dislike?

the whole OS is clunky and not designed for desktop use

Recommendations to others considering the product

Skip this one. Upgrade to windows 10

none - we decided not to use it

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

Windows 8 is fast and fun to use with a touch screen

What do you dislike?

Older computers are unable to run win 8.

Fast and easy to use most of the time

Windows 8 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"It tends to feel like I'm using it for the first time everytime"

What do you like best?

Hmmm, I guess it does seem to work well most of the time.

What do you dislike?

Navigating around it seems to take ages to get the hang of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It seems stable compared to the dodgy versions of Windows gone by,

Generally it works well as an office OS

Windows 8 review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Windows 8 is great update of Microsoft."

What do you like best?

It has many improved and easy for users to operate

What do you dislike?

It isdoes not support all of the applications.

Make it supporive for all the applications.

Windows 8 review by Doug J.
Doug J.

"I disagree - Better on a PC than a Tablet"

What do you like best?

I've been using Windows 8 since it was released. I have used it on tablets, netbooks, laptops (with and without touchscreens) and desktop PCs. I love how Microsoft leveraged the sleep/hibernation technology to make the computer boot and resume so fast. What took so long? I have benchmarked boot times on netbooks running Windows 7, Windows 8 and Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8 won hands down each time. The benchmarks also revealed slight improvements over Windows 7 speeds in a few tests but overall performance is about the same. I have become accustomed to the "search for apps" as opposed to the normal start menu as anyone who uses Windows 7 or Linux might have. I like and dislike this feature in Windows 8. I like that it exists, that it is easy to access and that it does a broader search than most. I don't like that you need to choose the category first, however, in order to find a settings feature versus an application, for example. The new task manager is a dream come true. Again, what took so long? Other operating systems can learn from this tool. Not only does it let you see CPU, Disk, Memory and Network performance in real time but it has tabs for App History and even Startup applications complete with a rating on the startup impact. I work with numerous builds of devices and also find the driver support better than Windows 7 in many instances. I also like the new boot loader which handles my tri-boot system nicely (and supports Linux). I could go on but I'll stop here.

What do you dislike?

I hear people say over and over that it does not work well on a desktop and is only suited for touchscreen devices. I also hear people say that the Modern UI is "intuitive". I disagree with both of these statements. I prefer running Windows 8 on my desktop and would not buy a Windows 8 tablet until they improve touchscreen functionality. Overall I felt the touch interface does not work well by itself. I found the on screen keyboard used to supply credentials, for example, completely horrible to use in some scenarios and found myself using work arounds just to get logged in. I do like using the touch navigation in combination with the keyboard refreshing (which surprised me) on a touchscreen laptop, though. I believe with some changes the Modern UI could feel intuitive but in it's current form I found myself Googling how to close applications, for example. Swiping (fully) top to bottom on the screen to close an application was not what I first thought of despite using other touch devices. I've seen touch enabled devices use animated arrows on screen, for example, to prompt the user what to do. Windows 8 seems to lack these types of prompts which I feel would be very helpful. Windows updates are still annoying as ever, however, Microsoft now warns you over a couple day time frame that a reboot will occur. For an enterprise, I do not like the additional Modern UI Apps which just add bloat to an image and, like Apple, managing App purchases will be a nightmare for enterprises. I especially do not like Microsoft's policy of tying an App to a device which I do not think will serve the education market well. The final thing I will say is that we have had a few more problems with software compatibilities than Windows 7 which I guess is to be expected but still frustrating, none the less.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For personal devices if you were able to get Windows 8 upgrade for $15 or $40 then it is worth the upgrade. I wouldn't, however, spend $100 or more (which I believe is the going price) for an upgrade. If you are on software assurance like we are and can do the upgrade there are some nice enterprise features, but beware that upgrades (Windows server, VAMT, etc) will be needed to take advantage of them. Windows 8 has some nice benefits over previous Windows versions and with an application like Classic Start Menu installed feels just like previous Windows versions once you're logged in. I intend to roll this out in our school district this summer pending additional testing.

Windows 8 review by User in Higher Education

"Good"

What do you like best?

What can I say that hasn't been said before...it works, its windows

What do you dislike?

Certainly there are times when windows could be faster

Teams is a great windows product

Windows 8 review by User in Nanotechnology
User in Nanotechnology

"Day to day basis"

What do you like best?

The new organization system, the speed of loading programs, syncing to different devises easily, and easy searching.

What do you dislike?

No start button throws me off, having two operating systems in one, poor multitasking, and the location of the apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice using the system. And get spyware.

Customization and staying organized

Windows 8 review by Tom L.
Tom L.

"Not terrible, but still needs some work."

What do you like best?

The idea of the same interface for a PC, Tablet, or Mobile Device is great. I've heard people complain about the new interface but with all of the changes in the industry over the last few years, the writing is on the wall and the old Windows interface is going to become stale very quickly so Microsoft did what they needed to do.

What do you dislike?

The system is still a bit clunky. I think this a typical Microsoft project where it takes a few iterations for them to finally get things right, but then once they do, it ends up being a great product. The OS does work better on some types of devices than others, but this is also just a matter of working out the kinks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say that unless you really like being an early adopter, it may still be a little too soon to invest in this version of the OS. That being said though, it's not going to be very long before Microsoft is able to fine tune it a little bit and put out a design that's a little more intuitive. So just give it some time and check it out after the first few support packs are released.

Windows 8 review by User in Printing
User in Printing

"Better than 7"

What do you like best?

Easy to use with a clean looking menu. Looks modern.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's tricky to get out of the built-in apps that go full screen. The start menu layout is a bit odd.

n/a

Windows 8 review by User

"Windows 8 Is a massive step up"

What do you like best?

Loads on citrix nicely and met security requirments,

What do you dislike?

Clunky and bulky - features we dont need.

Nothing - it was an update with citrix

Windows 8 review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Rather Frustrating"

What do you like best?

There is not much that I like about Windows 8.

What do you dislike?

Constant need to restart, how the restart takes up to 2 hours and does without your approval.

Nothing.

Windows 8 review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Give it A chance"

What do you like best?

I love the direction that Windows 8 took. The start menu is my favorite. I love that it is taking more of a tablet approach. I feel like the tile look will always be considered cleaner than a basic desktop with icons.

What do you dislike?

Well.....beside the many glitches involved in the whole operating system my least favorite is the inconsistent track pad. The track pad gestures go in and out for me. I have heard that if you wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows 8 the functionality enhances immensely, but who wants to do that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely would say wait unless you want to treat it like a beta project, otherwise let Microsoft work out the kinks before getting it.

Windows 8 review by Mark R.
Mark R.

"Upgrade to Windows 8?"

What do you like best?

I really like the main screen and the live feeds. Windows 8 took a little time to get used to and I still am not 100% comfortable. But overall I like where Microsoft is going. Windows 8 is definitely better on a touch pad screen.

What do you dislike?

The missing Start button and menu like in XP and Windows 7. But that is supposed to be fixed. Also, at some point my computer decided it did not like Windows 8 any longer and shut down. I had to restore back to Windows 7.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you buy a new device you may not have a choice. But I would recommend it.

Windows 8 review by Anthony d.
Anthony d.

"Horrible OS, do not make the switch from win 7 to win 8."

What do you like best?

It's a great OS for touchscreen computers, but that's about it.

What do you dislike?

Horrible interface, doesn't feel as powerful or easy to use as windows 7.

Ability to interface with computer efficiently.

Windows 8 review by User in Internet

"Windows 8 has made huge strides but doesn't quite measure up the more user-friendly Mountain Lion. "

What do you like best?

I like that 8 is more aesthetically pleasing and has moved toward the visual appeal for users like myself. The text heavy Windows 7 was a turn off for me.

What do you dislike?

While Windows ate has moved towards a more user-friendly program, I think they missed the mark. Many of the functions are a mystery until you accidentally stumble upon them. When using Mountain Lion for Mac, I am always able to discover functions immediately. Trackpad functions, settings and many others are hidden. I think 8 is stuck somewhere in the middle of trying to reach the masses with "pretty/fun" functionality, and working for business persons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would spend time deciding what you really want to use your computer for. If you are a business person, I would be more inclined to tell you to stay with windows. But if you are considering Windows 8 for the sole purpose of having a visually pleasing, shiny new product, I would stick with Mac.

"Amazing OS"

What do you like best?

Super improvement in the OS. helps a lot

What do you dislike?

Slow as compare to MAC. UI needs to be better

Fast

Windows 8 review by Jakub A.
Jakub A.

"A departure from what Windows has been, usefull on a large sized touchscreen"

What do you like best?

I've become a fan of touchscreen, especially as a combination with a mouse/keyboard and touch/stylus. I use Win 8 on a single computer and it's been about six weeks since I bought it. Moving to it full time would probably make me appreciate it much more but that's a few months down the road. The interaction of my touchscreen is the greatest highlight.

What do you dislike?

I had to switch to a larger touchscreen monitor to make it more useful (20" to 30") I would have gone to a 27" anyway so the expense was negligible. Win 8 is different from any previous versions and the initial experience may be off-putting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it time to grow on you. Spend a couple days playing with all the features. I, at this point, would not use it in a business environment.

Learning about Windows 8?

* We monitor all Windows 8 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.