Windows 8

3.3

Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows 8 for new devices.

Work for Windows 8?

Learning about Windows 8?

Windows 8 Reviews

Showing 125 Windows 8 reviews
Windows 8 review by Richardson B.
Richardson B.

"Windows 8 good graphics version of windows 7 give 1st touch experience in pad ,mini computer"

What do you like best?

Windows 8 ,woooh my favorite till now i use windows 8 in my vaio laptop till 5 years.I like its when BIOS opens and popup applications and camera open style messaging style etc.Themes are much more good view on led screen and if we open videos by default application looking good as compare to other application.

What do you dislike?

Security patches are not good ,if we do not know how use to come desktop page for new people that is lack of in windows 8.Internet explore for windows 8 as not compatible than other Operating system means slow opening .By default music player not opening other files like aac.,mkv etc and video player also not running for other files .

Recommendations to others considering the product

User Friendly,gaming experience ,touch experience this is new challenging operating system to every one .That is good Microsoft product.as always believe in Microsoft .

Yes,many business problem solved by windows 8,all files are open like excel,word and power point and user friendly much more than other .In development case all software like visual studio and jav ,net bins all are easy to installation.i love windows procedure.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windows 8
Windows 8 review by JAGDISH A.
JAGDISH A.

"Using Windows 8 for all your requirements."

What do you like best?

I like Windows 8. This operating system was the advanced version of its earlier versions Windows 7 and Windows XP. Most of us we used to the old versions so using this new operating system was difficult for us. But after a few years of its launch we got adapted to using this operating system.

Now we find this system easy to use and matching to our needs. Earlier Windows 7 was definitely simple to use but it lacked some additional features according to modern day requirements. So Windows 8 is good for some future requirements.

What do you dislike?

Well this operating system is different. Although this system had lot of new features many people do not get used to it particularly the people who are more familiar with the older versions.

Many people have installed some applications which allow us to use this operating system like the old Windows 7 or Windows XP. Except this issue all new features are useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this operating system to the users. This is a good product and definitely it has advanced features and requires some improvements also i the interface. But still it is good for advanced productivity needs like documents processing, emails and internet and storage services.

All types of business activities like internet, email, storage, office documents are done by us using this operating system.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Windows 8 review by Richard G.
Richard G.

" Windows 8 Experience"

What do you like best?

It is a very pleasant operating system to use, Its easy to install, plus its integration with social networks One of the features I love most of this system is that it allows you to receive notifications automatically and participate in social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and other .

What do you dislike?

the truth is I have no complaints about this operating system, I think it is a good update and is currently my favorite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you use windows 8 for its so simple to use and its so nice appearance in addition to its features this system has excellent applications.

Currently my work computer has the Windows 8 operating system in which I develop all my daily activities, and it is very practical and pleasant when it comes to walking through its application menu.

Windows 8 review by Eric B.
Eric B.

"Windows 8 ... I think they rushed it."

What do you like best?

It was a nice attempt to update the User Interface and begin to consolidate a look and feel across the product line of desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. The boxes were colorful, the memory management was improved and it was built with SecureBoot, which was a great step in security. The initial sign-in screen was beautiful with the artistic Seattle skyline.

What do you dislike?

It was rushed. There were very few positive reviews of this from early adopters, as well as technical and non-technical writers and bloggers. The login screen was beautiful, but not very intuitive. Once you signed in (with a required Microsoft account, which was another bad idea), nobody knew what to do. Or how to get your desktop. Or log off. The Charms bar was hard to access, the look and feel of Windows that they'd build since Chicago was gone. People were lost, and people lost interest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally, I would recommend going to Windows 10, as they've seemed to fix the User Interface to have that Windows look and feel they've had since Windows 95 with the up-to-date cross-platform interface they have with the Windows phone UI. I know some places aren't comfortable yet with Windows 10, so I'd recommend Windows 8.1 as it took a lot of the pain points of Windows 8 and improved on them.

None, and none. Outside of our QA and Surface RT users, we never adopted Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. We waited for Windows 10.

Windows 8 review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Behind TimesQ"

What do you like best?

Our IT dept. is behind times on making sure that our computers are up-to-date. However, I have found that Windows 8 has for the most part has had no compatibility issues when it comes to using programs on these systems. The positive is that this system is very similar to many of the older versions of Microsoft Windows so it really does not take a learning curve to figure out how to use it. Most of the programs that we use on it are internet based.

What do you dislike?

I really do not have any dislikes about the operating system itself, compared to some of the newer versions that I have used. This one is more like buying a new car without the fancy buttons, it gets you from point A to Point B without having to use a GPS.

This operating system helps us to be more efficient and it takes away the need for paper and pencil!

Windows 8 review by User in Computer Software

"Windows 8 Review"

What do you like best?

Everything in this Windows 8 is quite different and unique from earlier versions of Windows. Windows 8 recognized the increasing role of internet and its services in people's life thus designed it accordingly ,

What do you dislike?

The one thing that might be improved is the whole different section for apps , as that creates much overhead and sometimes even slows down the PC ,when some heavy work is going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes i will recommend other to use this product for sure. As this is quite user friendly and enhance the speed of working of the end user with leaps and bounds .

Works very good when you contant online support.

Various web applications according to utility.

Quite good and fast in multitasking .

Windows 8 review by Kathleen E. H.
Kathleen E. H.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

I like the difference in the interface between 7 and 8. It was more eye-catching and pleasing to engage with. It also groups my apps together, which allows for ease of finding programs.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I don't like about Windows 8!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because it is possible to group apps and programs, I would recommend getting into the organization features so that you can customize it, rather than going with the default settings. The default settings work just fine, but you have the opportunity to really customize your experience!

The biggest benefit for me is that it groups all of my apps and programs into like categories. It makes them easier to find, especially given the volume of apps and programs I use for work. I also like that I can interact easily with the interface on my tablet and can swipe to new pages and categories effortlessly.

Windows 8 review by Holly F.
Holly F.

"Windows 8 is great for computer training companies!"

What do you like best?

Great to use on touchscreen computers. More like apple products and can be very user friendly for non-computer literate people who are already using a touch pad and now purchased a touch screen for computer or laptop. Definitely need to upgrade to 8.1 though because some of the issues have been somewhat resolved. Newer backgrounds, screen savers, colors, desktop options, etc. Definitely more stable than some previous versions of Windows.

What do you dislike?

Very cumbersome for users that are still using the mouse and do not have a touch screen. Mouse users have 3-4 times as many clicks to do something they way they used to do it in pre-windows 8. Upgrading to 8.1 helped mouse users slightly. The worst feature....mouse users can't figure out how to close a window! Microsoft really blew it on this one for all mouse users but it's great for computer trainers because their business increased substantially due to having to retrain all of the regular computer users. Older generation of computer beginners definitely have problems with windows 8 interface. Microsoft really forgot about their mouse users with this version and should be hammered for it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 is great if have a touch screen and is a more modern interface. But hard to learn if still using a mouse and don't have a touch screen yet.

Since I am a computer trainer I love that all of the issues with Windows 8 just increased my business!

Windows 8 review by Paul M.
Paul M.

"Tried and true operating system."

What do you like best?

Windows has gotten faster with each release since it's inception. Its small footprint leaves plenty of space on my hard drive to store meaningful date.

What do you dislike?

The search index process seems to bloat every now and again but there is plenty of information on Microsoft to resolve those types of issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 does the job. I highly recommend it!

I'm able to run Windows via Parallels Desktop for Mac to support my clients and can replicate browser issues on multiple platforms at once.

Windows 8 review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Making adjustments"

What do you like best?

I like that all of my essential programs (ticketing and data collection) can only operate on Windows 8, and that the upgrade would have knocked out my ability to work. I also like that after years of using Windows 8 at home for personal use, the interface is user friendly.

What do you dislike?

While I am familiar with the system, I prefer the much easier Windows 10, which kept the good of 8 and brought back the ease of use that previous versions had.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate the compatibility of your essential software and go from there. If possible, go with Windows 10 as it is much more user friendly. If not, Windows 8 is a suitable, easy to use operating system.

I work in sports ticketing, so the problem is how to operate the ticketing system, and the upgrade wouldn't allow for that, so the benefit is a smooth operation, especially on marquee event days.

Windows 8 review by Jorge G.
Jorge G.

"My experience with Windows 8"

What do you like best?

The visual upgrades from previous Windows versions are very welcome. I like the tiles and I use them for quick access to information, like weather, news headlines, etc.

I also like the two separate modes: apps and desktop.

What do you dislike?

The start button - a very recognizable Windows element - wasn't there. I had to guess my way around in the first days.

The tile menu is terrible, once you get past the first columns or so. That menu isn't practical at all when it comes to finding a program, even though the search feature helps a bit with that.

I code mostly for clients that use Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10), and I have to test the websites on Internet Explorer. Linux is a better choice in terms of development environment, but it lacks the software I use in my day to day professional like. Windows runs all that.

Windows 8 review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Easy Operating System"

What do you like best?

I like that Windows 8 would provide updates without fees to the user. There is more integration with the web browser, which makes finding things an easier task in a difficult environment. I like that Microsoft puts out new versions, and does not charge for updating to Windows 10 with this version.

What do you dislike?

Windows moved away from the menu system that made them famous. Instead, opting for ridiculous windows to find things. It takes much more time to navigate than previous versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for Windows 10. Windows 8 was an experiment gone wrong. Although there is more integration with the web browser, it is not yet, "there".

Windows is the most widely used operating system in the world. It runs the productivity software that we use each and every day. It gives us the security we need, and at the same time gives the freedom to do our work without fear of security failures. Windows allows us to be more productive and competitive in the business environment.

Windows 8 review by Roberta J.
Roberta J.

"Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 7; Is there really a difference besides adding swipe technology?"

What do you like best?

I'm not a fan of Windows 8. I personally feel that Windows 8 was full of bugs and presented the user with an unfriendly interface. We also faced problems with the OS being incompatible with other programs that we need to use daily.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like swiping from one screen to the next. I also didn't like the home screen and how the programs were set up like apps. It made me feel like I was using an OS that was made for a tablet instead of an OS made for a fully functioning computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do Not buy this software.

We are not using Windows 8 any longer because it caused more problems than it solved. I honestly haven't seen any benefits of using Windows 8. I have heard other users say that they enjoyed using it on their touch screen devices.

Windows 8 review by Gustavo M.
Gustavo M.

"It's a good job tool"

What do you like best?

The fastest way it installs updates or new applications, I also like the user interface, because it looks friendly.

I like its integration with microsoft office and other PC applications is a plus.

What do you dislike?

The one and only issue with Windows is when you have to close the applications because it stops by itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is a great job tool.

Network Connectivity

Windows 8 review by Casey S.
Casey S.

"Despite it's smooth operation, Windows 8 is unfamiliar and polarizing as a result"

What do you like best?

Functionally, Windows 8 is as smooth of an operating system that I've used (I've been paying attention to operating systems since XP). It handled multiple operations without issue, it actually helped self-diagnose when the few issues that I had arose, and the multi-platform utilization is a nice touch, particularly if you are a Windows phone user or if you use Microsoft gaming systems (Xbox 360 and Xbox One). The application approach is a nice change of pace for some, and makes the PC experience a bit more competitive with the MAC world; however this transition is one of the more controversial transitions that I can think of when it comes to computers. For some, it was a welcome change of pace, for others it was a major frustration (will be addressed below).

What do you dislike?

Windows should have done a better job with the transition from the traditional home screen appearance of older iterations of Windows to the new tile approach of Windows 8. It looked different, acted different, and felt different for an extended amount of time. The standard desktop is still available, but it is buried a few layers deep and is somewhat frustrating to try and access. Beyond that, the app aspect wasn't really ready to launch as the main approach to computing, however they continued to build this up as time went past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are adventurous and looking for a change of pace, Windows 8 may be for you. If you feel more comfortable in the realm of XP, Vista, and 7, then skip Windows 8 and jump to Windows 10.

After becoming familiar with the application/tile approach in Windows 8, I felt as though I could more readily switch between programs. My efficiency and productivity increased once I became familiar with the new design.

Windows 8 review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Stable but Clunky"

What do you like best?

Windows 8 seems to be pretty stable and if you can make use of the metro side of it on a tablet, the interface is fairly intuitive. It's easy to search for files and programs on the metro side.

What do you dislike?

Combining the tablet'ish (metro) mode within the typical Windows Desktop is pretty much a failure. Metro is good for tablets and that's about it. By default it should be turned off for laptops and desktop computers. The lack of a typical start menu is also frustrating. Thankfully Windows 10 brings this back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am not sure if Windows 8 is readily available anymore. If it is, I would skip it and go straight to Windows 10. Windows 10 is much more user friendly and seems to be very stable as well.

This really does not solve business problems other than providing the user with more current compatibility than Windows 7. If anything it metro makes it more difficult. I find it tough to walk clients through processes with the confusing metro side of Windows 8.

Windows 8 review by M. Sophia N.
M. Sophia N.

"Quite good"

What do you like best?

This is a fairly neutral experience, if only because use is so ubiquitous.

What do you dislike?

The life at a glance panel is over-sized to an unnecessary degree, and the "play and explore" panel on the start menu is purely a waste of space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that this be decided in terms of the type of work being done, as in some industries this is standard whereas in other industries it is not. Often this choice rests only on the C-suite executives; perhaps the opinions of the rank and file are good to include here.

I use this for my business on a daily basis, so rather than a specific problem to be solved, it is a foundation.

Windows 8 review by Giuseppe A.
Giuseppe A.

"Some steps back from windows 7"

What do you like best?

I like the stability of the system, the compatibility with many devices and hardware, the support and the OS in general.

What do you dislike?

I don't like metro UIX and in general the application management. Windows store is not really good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

New installation sghould start always from edge technology. I think you should use windows8 only if it has some unique feature that windows 7 or 10 don't have.

nothing really... we just upgrede some pc from 7 trying to emprove performance.

Windows 8 review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"I'm not a fan of Windows 8"

What do you like best?

I like that Windows attempted to make the interface more user friendly and similar to Macs. There aren't any major bugs with this os.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the changes they made were so drastic that it is almost unrecognizable when using tiles on a desktop PC. Using the newer views would be more appropriate on a tablet of a mobile device. For a desktop, it is too clunky. A lot of the user interface wastes system resources on the flashy graphics which aren't necessary for a workstation that can tax the CPU.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like using a Mac, this may be the one Windows operating system, that you like, If you like Windows, this operating system may be a shock to you. If you really don't like Windows 8 but are forced to use it, you can download and change the layouts to emulate Windows 7.

Windows 8 is compatible with most older and current hardware and continues to be compatible with the majority of software. I am able to use all of the software that I need to with Windows 8.

Windows 8 review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"I used Windows 8 on my personal laptop for about two years before updating to Windows 10. "

What do you like best?

The functionality was great; programs performed well and did not crash; cloud storage was free and worked well, and personalization options were plentiful and well-thought out. I liked the LiveTiles compared to the old (tiny) desktop icons that I'd have to pinpoint with my mouse pointer. Compatibility with my Asus touchscreen laptop was great.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Word docs that I saved to my OneDrive would have fully retained all formatting and fonts. Unfortunately this was not always the case; features such as margins, indentation, etc. were often altered and had to be repaired to restore my Word files to their original appearance..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product.

I used the email app to manage two personal email accounts. I also used Microsoft Office for word processing, spreadsheets, and a few other tasks. I used Internet Explorer to browse the web. These were for personal purposes as well as for managing a small rental property business that I operate in addition to my regular full-time career. All programs functioned well and as needed.

Windows 8 review by Josh A.
Josh A.

"Ok operating system. Stepping stone to the future"

What do you like best?

The operating system is virtually crashless and extremely fast. Great file management

What do you dislike?

Very disjointed between being a desktop and tablet OS. The metro apps tend to lack functionality. Windows 8 start menu is terrible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use windows 10 at this point. Windows 8 was a stepping stone.

Windows 8 really isn't a great OS for business. It was a good proof of concept for what would become windows 10, but that's it.

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Medical Practice
Administrator in Medical Practice

"Windows 8. My favorite Windows!"

What do you like best?

I love navigating on Windows 8. Going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 was like a world of change. I found Windows 7 to be difficult to use and I found it very confusing. Windows 8 was like a sigh of relief for me. It makes my workload easier because computing is done with such ease. Finding different programs is easier. Changing settings is easy. No questionable confusing Windows that pop up. It's straight and to the point and I'm confident that others agree with my point of view on the changes made.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all. I really can't find one flaw that I would change in the new system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need to make the change!

Finding records for patients with ease. Finding programs very simply. I have realized how fast and simple this system is and would never want to change it.

Windows 8 review by Andrew W.
Andrew W.

"not as bad as it could be"

What do you like best?

I like the changes from Windows 7. The start screen was an improvement. It had better driver support than windows 7 too.

What do you dislike?

it's not windows 10. I really don't have anything negative to say about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go to WIndows 10 or stick with Windows 7. I had enjoyed Windows 8 and 8.1, but it is not as convenient as the previous or latest versions of WIndows.

It's a version of windows that actually had better driver support than windows 7, but there's not really any solutions that are being solved by WIndows 8.

Windows 8 review by Christopher R.
Christopher R.

"Better for personal than professional use"

What do you like best?

I like that it is smoother than Windows 7 and far more business friendly than Apple. However, Windows 8 is far less business oriented than Windows 7. Windows 8.1 makes an improvement on the business side of it. However, at this juncture I cannot recommend Windows 8 for business over Windows 7.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the focus on apps. The apps could be good if they were better designed and did not seem to make a touchscreen almost mandatory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use windows 8 for home systems with touchscreens, use Windows 7 for everything else.

It doesn't solve any business problems over Windows 7.

Windows 8 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Slow especially for someone who had used Windows 10"

What do you like best?

What I initially loved was this being a forward looking approach of MS team, App based, intuitive and revolutionary design/step forward.

What do you dislike?

Slow load times in enterprise setup (you feel even more when you have used Windows 10)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would expect this to be best in terms of security and possibly better to be on latest than not.

I would rate it as more secure, user friendly since this is app based and works well within the enterprise setup.

Windows 8 review by Jody H.
Jody H.

"Nice Upgrade!"

What do you like best?

I liked the fact that the installation process was relatively easy and that all my applications, no matter how old, still seem to be working properly. I love the integration with my google and yahoo accounts to make everything I do come together more seamlessly. Also, I've recently been using their OneDrive feature to access documents on all my devices. This is very convenient and makes me more productive on the go. There are still a number of glitches with One Drive on the iPad (to be fair, it's in beta). There are errors that are not yet explained well, but still worth the seamless productivity for my Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents across my desktop and mobile devices.

What do you dislike?

Coming from Windows 7, it was a very different experience. I'm still getting used to it. Everything you are used to in Windows 7, like system administration features have changed considerably. Over the years I became a Windows power user. I think ultimately Win 8 will be easier to use for the average user, but I'm having to take a step back.

Windows 8 helps me most with mobile productivity and device switching. I don't have a Mac desktop at home or work, so this helps bridge the platform gap to my mobile Apple devices.

Windows 8 review by Kyle Q.
Kyle Q.

"NOT AS GOOD AS WINDOWS 7 OR XP!"

What do you like best?

- The same Windows feel, just a different look, but same easy to use interface when you get to the Desktop.

- Increased search engine system to find applications in your system.

- A good Operating System for the Surface or Touchscreen Systems.

- Most applications work properly on Windows 8 like they did on Windows 7.

What do you dislike?

- The Metro Interface is a HUGE turnoff to desktop users, but on the Surface and the Windows Phone it makes sense and is alright.

- Not a big fan of the amount of resources Windows 8 hogs for basic systems.

- Have had a lot of issues with AMD Drivers causing some weird glitches (Rare, but still needs to be noted) with multiple screens with my Catalyst Drivers. On a single screen however there are no issues I have seen that were 'game breaking'.

- Some applications have some compatibility issues but can be worked around with a little ingenuity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a touch screen monitor or tablet/laptop, it works a lot better than the traditional Desktop experience.

We updated to the newest Windows iteration to get the best experience, however, we noticed that Windows 8 isn't the best solution for all of our business needs, but we are making it work until we can receive a Windows 10 demo to see if we need to upgrade.

Windows 8 review by Jeremy H.
Jeremy H.

"Not ready for primetime - see Windows 10"

What do you like best?

Graphic interface is sharp and modern. Great for tablet-based browsing.

What do you dislike?

App mode is almost useless for those without a touch interface is somewhat clunky for those who use it. Tough to remember all the gestures necessary for robust use of App mode. Miss the Start button.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider jumping directly to 10 for a great compromise between the stability of Windows 7 with the touch interface of Windows 8.

Frankly little use out of this upgrade. Windows 7 was much more table and usable in a business setting than Windows 8.

Windows 8 review by Alec B.
Alec B.

"Windows 8 started weak but has gained great strength "

What do you like best?

It is much more efficient with memory and data usage compared to previous editions of the Windows Operating system. It also has a very efficient and fast search feature which I have found to be a great help when searching for programs and files. I have also noticed that Windows 8 feels very smooth and clean.

What do you dislike?

The start screen. I do not like the tiles and the start screen I never use it and never will. The start menu is where it is at. If that was a choice, that would make this Operating System much better. Sadly, that can only be done through third party software which brings down Windows 8.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Over windows 7, I do recommend Windows 8. Over OSX, I heavily recommend Windows 8. It is the best Operating System on the market.

It is the operating system I use for my Laptop and dessktop. It runs my computers and being a computer Science Major, it also runs my career.

Windows 8 review by Cindy M.
Cindy M.

"Love hate relationship"

What do you like best?

I really like the clean look of the lock screen when you first open the computer, before you type in your password. I like that there's a home screen for apps (even though I never use it), and since I have a touchscreen, it's almost like using a cellphone or tablet.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike that the entire layout is so much more different from the normal Windows layout. It was also not easy to learn how to use a completely new operating system when all the past versions were so uniform. The floating side tab that comes out every time you put your mouse to the right side of the screen is very annoying. The button on the keyboard that goes directly to the apps screen is annoying because I never use it. I don't need it to connect to a Microsoft account when this laptop is only for my personal use and I don't use Outlook on this. And I'm not sure if it's my computer or if it's all the animations that come with Windows 8 that make doing anything really laggy.

Haven't solved any business problems, nor did I see any benefits worthy of mentioning.

Windows 8 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Stable, but not quite there. "

What do you like best?

Tabletlike interface, makes it more user friendly to the modern consumer. And it's certainly more stable than some previous versions and less of a resource hog.

What do you dislike?

The fact that the "app" interface is like a whole separate screen makes it a little harder to navigate. And there is still a lot missing from those that are more in tune with a tablet or mobile platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your still on an older version of Windows, it's worth the upgrade. If your already on 10, stay on 10.

VPN is nice addition to 8, as is the ability to add actual apps.

Windows 8 review by Summer S.
Summer S.

"Good product"

What do you like best?

The layout is more user friendly and easy to use. The tabs are nice and I like that I can customize the layout.

What do you dislike?

It took awhile to get used to the change. Once I got used to it, however, I liked it better than Windows7.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time getting familiar with all the new features.

Windows8 really helped create documents for presentations and made everything easy to organize and create. It made doing everything I needed to for work easy and seamless.

Windows 8 review by Mark H.
Mark H.

"Windows 8 and Windows 8.1"

What do you like best?

The ease of adding printers - no more having to wait on Windows Update to find the correct drivers

Windows 8.1

The most needed Start button - helping everyone navigate around much smoother.

What do you dislike?

The tablet look of Windows 8 and hard to get around layout of the operating system with their new tricky disappearing features. Hard to find what you need especially when needed quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get Windows 8.1!

In the wake of Microsoft stopping their support for prior versions of Windows, you must keep your workplace current to prevent security attacks from the outside.

Windows 8 review by Satish S.
Satish S.

"Windows 8 is the user friendly software known to everyone"

What do you like best?

Windows 8 is user friendly software and good to install on any user personal computer. I have installed it on my personal computer and found that its much more better in terms of performance and the fanciness than windows 7. The touch functionality which is introduced in windows 8 by Microsoft revolutionizes every desktop software to migrate to it. Its app store is one of the best to get all the application from Microsoft store.

What do you dislike?

Most common dislikes about any software comes into picture when the cost is more. Yes the cost is somewhat I dislike, It could be less expensive as we are getting lot more freewares in market which competed with windows with cost and more over with all the features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good OS to use.

I use ti with my PC and at my workplace I use windows 7 which I like .

Windows 8 review by Tanesha J.
Tanesha J.

"Was not a fan but don't hate it."

What do you like best?

I did like the modern look kinda. I loved the OneDrive included, we use that all the time.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like the layout I ended up using a shell for the first few months to a year. I didn't like the start menu or the task bar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Window 7 start button.

No problem, didn't give a benefit.

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Windows 8.1 Pro Has been stable and successful"

What do you like best?

Have been able to utilize windows 8 deployed across mobile devices successfully. Has been easy to image and re-deploy.

What do you dislike?

This OS was designed, as far as I am concerned for mobile devices only. It is fine for a tablet type hardware and designed for the use of the buttons / tiles. Does not go well with anything other than a tablet, in my mind.

Have to use a third party application to design custom tiles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is okay once you get used to it. Took quite some time to get used to.

Solved issue of needing new hardware and OS for mobile field devices. It has worked well on surface units and served its purpose.

Windows 8 review by Melissa Y.
Melissa Y.

"Better than 10, not as great as 7"

What do you like best?

While I much prefer Windows 8 to Windows 10, it does not surpass Windows 7 in my opinion. It's easier to use than 10 since that is more for touchscreens and is not as user friendly when using it on a regular non-touchscreen computer.

What do you dislike?

I prefer the ease of Windows 7 - they tried to make Windows 8 too much and it just doesn't work as well.

As with the other Windows software, we simply use it until the upgrade comes out.

Windows 8 review by Danielle J.
Danielle J.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

Honestly the only thing I like about Windows 8 is the color choices and customizable.

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to use, it loses a lot of my information because I can't find it if I switch between pages icons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely refuse to buy anything windows. It is not user friendly AT ALL. It is not easy to use and it is not easily taught.

None, except maybe Microsoft Office

Windows 8 review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"Windows 8 for Me"

What do you like best?

I like the speed and clarity at which the program runs and appears.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the constant apps closing when I switch screens (I have dual monitors).

I am able to get a lot more done with a smooth running operation!

Windows 8 review by Nicholas W.
Nicholas W.

"Quick but confusing, not bad but not impressive"

What do you like best?

I like the speed and fluid feel it has with animations, and appreciate the some new features that allow more usability with the screen real estate. I love the new viewer apps for images and videos to make my content feel cinematic and good quality.

What do you dislike?

overall feel very lost even as a pretty competent Windows and Mac user. Would like to see see more efficiency producing tools/features. I dislike that the things I like are still lacking realistic use cases. For example I can't browse images using the left/right arrow like I would want to. Also like on a Mac it would be nice if I could just hit the space bar and open the viewer and then hit space bar again to close

As a web developer I solve technical issues and support issues. The OS doesn't typically determine whether or not I can accomplish what I need but it does limit the tools/software that I use. I often look for software that is available on both windows/mac so that I'm never locked to one platform over another. I really wish the command prompt wasn't lacking so much but I've over come that using console2.

Windows 8 review by Jillian W.
Jillian W.

"Windows 8 for Classrooms"

What do you like best?

I think that it is more user friendly for students.

What do you dislike?

I think people who are used to the old windows struggle because it is very different.

It is making productivity higher because it is easier to locate the programs you need.

Windows 8 review by Joanne M. L.
Joanne M. L.

"Windows 8 Review"

What do you like best?

I find it easy to navigate. I am able to use the same tools that I was used to in the former Windows version with the updated system.

What do you dislike?

There still seems to be bugs to work out.

I work on benefit plans and couldn't do my job without the software.

Windows 8 review by Mario V.
Mario V.

"NO SÉ QUÉ QUISIERON HACER"

What do you like best?

que levante rápido y su gráfica colorida.

La versión 8.1 mejoró muchas cosas, había más orden y se volvió más intuitivo.

Además la compatibilidad con todos los programas que ya tenía yo instalados no dió ningún problema.

What do you dislike?

se tardaron mucho en sacar los drivers para el bios de equipos nuevos, algunas funciones (como el bluettoth y wl wifi) se volvieron inestables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Actualicen a 8.1, no pierdan la calma y recuerden que está más orientado a tablets

Yo era un usuario común, sólo necesitaba que me dejase trabajar con el paquete Adobe, y lo hizo bien.

Windows 8 review by Tiffany O.
Tiffany O.

"Windows 8"

What do you like best?

Still having the start menu is useful to have

What do you dislike?

The size of icons in the start menu is too large. The search function is clunky and doesn't seem as detailed as Windows 7.

Invoicing, billing. No benefits

Windows 8 review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Stable, fast, user friendly, misunderstood"

What do you like best?

- It seems lightweight (fast)

- Finding settings is easy with text search

- Stable

What do you dislike?

Comes with preinstalled apps that are useless to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 is currently more stable than Windows 10, while searchability and performance seems to be equal.

We needed an OS for work and home that was versatile, cheap, stable and easy to configure. Windows 8 was well tested too, given its age.

Windows 8 review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Acceptable business OS"

What do you like best?

The one advantage to Windows 8 over other operating systems on the market is its ubiquity in business and compatibility with software -- it lags behind other OS's in terms of usability and design.

What do you dislike?

Windows tends to not innovate too much, instead opting to copy the successful features of other operating systems after they have been around for a few years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really the only option in terms of business operating systems.

Windows 8 has allowed us to work with all different software that is important to making our business run smoothly.

Windows 8 review by Consultant in Construction
Consultant in Construction

"It is streamline and has cool colors"

What do you like best?

color scheme and windows look snazzy. Windows 8 tries to get you to tie your Windows login to your Microsoft account; it’s optional, but if you do link the two, the Windows login and password serve as your Microsoft account login and password. Enabling this link allows tighter integration with the remote and cloud-based features of the new OS.

What do you dislike?

i don't like that it doen't have a full start menu. Navigation on the windows can be difficult. You cannot boot directly into the desktop, since Microsoft wants the Start screen to be users’ initial experience with Windows 8. For most people, this restriction may not be an issue, but certain vertical applications (specialized programs, such as those for point-of-sale PCs) need to boot directly into a desktop environment. Until Windows 8 versions of such programs become available, users requiring vertical applications should stick with earlier versions of Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

I am an engineer and consultant and all i do is solve problems with my computer running on windows.

Windows 8 review by James G.
James G.

"Windows 7 Nostalgia Inducer"

What do you like best?

After a year of use, I still find it neat how fast Windows 8 starts up. I push the power button and a few seconds later it's good to go. Microsoft did figure out a creative way to squander all that saved time though. While picking my brain for things I like about 8, other than the boot up, I realized they were simply the things I liked about Windows 7.

What do you dislike?

The most aggravating issue is Microsoft's not so subtle ways of pushing your hands off the keyboard and mouse and onto the touchscreen. When I click on the start menu with a mouse, I expect a mouse friendly start menu to open up. Instead, I get a gaudy and inconvenient start screen that I have to plow through. My laptop's touchpad has been dissected from a rectangle to some sort of invisible polygon that, when navigated without caution of a minefield engineer, my screen will rain strange and useless menus of some sort from some sort of alternate dimension in which the word "intuitive" does not exist. Am I an old stooge? Is there something wrong with my mouse and keyboard that I didn't know needed fixing? All the touchscreen "improvements" have just caused delay and aggravation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the future Windows 8 will be looked upon as an awkward "missing link" fossil from keyboard mouse to touch input. I can't speak to the experience of Windows 8 on a tablet that relies solely, but I can tell you that the way the OS constantly tries to get you to use the touch screen is extremely frustrating. The extra boot up and shut down times of Windows 7 are simply worth it for now. I could in no way recommend this product to anyone.

Windows 8 really hasn't solved anything for me. In fact, the jump from 7 to 8 has created a bunch of new problems. The "upgrade" has cluttered and slowed down my experience as a user.

Windows 8 review by Siddhartha V.
Siddhartha V.

"They had good things when designing this, but couldn't implement it correctly. Thank god for 8.1"

What do you like best?

The fast bootup, the new flat design, and the responsiveness. I also like the new interface they had. It's pretty sleek and modern.

What do you dislike?

The full-screen start screen which doesn't do much if you're not a user of the Metro apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Skip this OS. Now that 10 is out, get that one.

Software Developer. Sometime code on VS. Not much benefits to Windows 7. Though the new Metro SDK which came with the OS release opened a lot of doors for app developers.

Windows 8 review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"intuitive and easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the function and flow of the start menu. It makes it easy to access everything through a few clicks vs hunting aimlessly.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I dislike

I use design software that makes it difficult to save what I make to a JPEG vs a program specific file. With the snipping tool it makes it a breeze to capture the image and save it as a JPEG.

Learning about Windows 8?

* We monitor all Windows 8 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.