Windows 8

Windows reimagined and reinvented from a solid core of Windows 7 speed and reliability. It's an all-new touch interface. It's a new Windows 8 for new devices.

Work for Windows 8?

Learning about Windows 8?

Windows 8 Reviews

Showing 117 Windows 8 reviews
Windows 8 review by <span>Eric B.</span>
Eric B.

Windows 8 ... I think they rushed it.

What do you like best?

It was a nice attempt to update the User Interface and begin to consolidate a look and feel across the product line of desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. The boxes were colorful, the memory management was improved and it was built with SecureBoot, which was a great step in security. The initial sign-in screen was beautiful with the artistic Seattle skyline.

What do you dislike?

It was rushed. There were very few positive reviews of this from early adopters, as well as technical and non-technical writers and bloggers. The login screen was beautiful, but not very intuitive. Once you signed in (with a required Microsoft account, which was another bad idea), nobody knew what to do. Or how to get your desktop. Or log off. The Charms bar was hard to access, the look and feel of Windows that they'd build since Chicago was gone. People were lost, and people lost interest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally, I would recommend going to Windows 10, as they've seemed to fix the User Interface to have that Windows look and feel they've had since Windows 95 with the up-to-date cross-platform interface they have with the Windows phone UI. I know some places aren't comfortable yet with Windows 10, so I'd recommend Windows 8.1 as it took a lot of the pain points of Windows 8 and improved on them.

None, and none. Outside of our QA and Surface RT users, we never adopted Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. We waited for Windows 10.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windows 8
Windows 8 review by <span>Eric M.</span>
Eric M.

Behind TimesQ

What do you like best?

Our IT dept. is behind times on making sure that our computers are up-to-date. However, I have found that Windows 8 has for the most part has had no compatibility issues when it comes to using programs on these systems. The positive is that this system is very similar to many of the older versions of Microsoft Windows so it really does not take a learning curve to figure out how to use it. Most of the programs that we use on it are internet based.

What do you dislike?

I really do not have any dislikes about the operating system itself, compared to some of the newer versions that I have used. This one is more like buying a new car without the fancy buttons, it gets you from point A to Point B without having to use a GPS.

This operating system helps us to be more efficient and it takes away the need for paper and pencil!

What Operating System solution do you use?

Windows 8 review by <span>Kathleen E. H.</span>
Kathleen E. H.

Windows 8

What do you like best?

I like the difference in the interface between 7 and 8. It was more eye-catching and pleasing to engage with. It also groups my apps together, which allows for ease of finding programs.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I don't like about Windows 8!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because it is possible to group apps and programs, I would recommend getting into the organization features so that you can customize it, rather than going with the default settings. The default settings work just fine, but you have the opportunity to really customize your experience!

The biggest benefit for me is that it groups all of my apps and programs into like categories. It makes them easier to find, especially given the volume of apps and programs I use for work. I also like that I can interact easily with the interface on my tablet and can swipe to new pages and categories effortlessly.

Windows 8 review by <span>Holly F.</span>
Holly F.

Windows 8 is great for computer training companies!

What do you like best?

Great to use on touchscreen computers. More like apple products and can be very user friendly for non-computer literate people who are already using a touch pad and now purchased a touch screen for computer or laptop. Definitely need to upgrade to 8.1 though because some of the issues have been somewhat resolved. Newer backgrounds, screen savers, colors, desktop options, etc. Definitely more stable than some previous versions of Windows.

What do you dislike?

Very cumbersome for users that are still using the mouse and do not have a touch screen. Mouse users have 3-4 times as many clicks to do something they way they used to do it in pre-windows 8. Upgrading to 8.1 helped mouse users slightly. The worst feature....mouse users can't figure out how to close a window! Microsoft really blew it on this one for all mouse users but it's great for computer trainers because their business increased substantially due to having to retrain all of the regular computer users. Older generation of computer beginners definitely have problems with windows 8 interface. Microsoft really forgot about their mouse users with this version and should be hammered for it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 is great if have a touch screen and is a more modern interface. But hard to learn if still using a mouse and don't have a touch screen yet.

Since I am a computer trainer I love that all of the issues with Windows 8 just increased my business!

Windows 8 review by <span>Paul M.</span>
Paul M.

Tried and true operating system.

What do you like best?

Windows has gotten faster with each release since it's inception. Its small footprint leaves plenty of space on my hard drive to store meaningful date.

What do you dislike?

The search index process seems to bloat every now and again but there is plenty of information on Microsoft to resolve those types of issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows 8 does the job. I highly recommend it!

I'm able to run Windows via Parallels Desktop for Mac to support my clients and can replicate browser issues on multiple platforms at once.

Windows 8 review by User in Sports
User in Sports

Making adjustments

What do you like best?

I like that all of my essential programs (ticketing and data collection) can only operate on Windows 8, and that the upgrade would have knocked out my ability to work. I also like that after years of using Windows 8 at home for personal use, the interface is user friendly.

What do you dislike?

While I am familiar with the system, I prefer the much easier Windows 10, which kept the good of 8 and brought back the ease of use that previous versions had.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate the compatibility of your essential software and go from there. If possible, go with Windows 10 as it is much more user friendly. If not, Windows 8 is a suitable, easy to use operating system.

I work in sports ticketing, so the problem is how to operate the ticketing system, and the upgrade wouldn't allow for that, so the benefit is a smooth operation, especially on marquee event days.

Learning about Windows 8?

* We monitor all Windows 8 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.