Windows Live Writer

Create stunning blog posts in minutes, with photos, videos, maps, and more. Then publish them to any of your favorite blog service providers.

Work for Windows Live Writer?

Learning about Windows Live Writer?

Windows Live Writer Reviews

Ask Windows Live Writer a Question
Showing 26 Windows Live Writer reviews
Windows Live Writer review by Sarneet C.
Sarneet C.

"Its like using MS Word for Blogging"

What do you like best?

The selling point of WLW is definitely the ease of use. Setting up of your blog in WLW is a breeze. For non tech oriented guys, with a passion to write but lack the skills to make their own jekyll blog, this thing is a boon. At the time i used it, i immediately fell in love with it. just type the content as you want it to appear on your blog with all the word formatting options at your hand, save and publish. Being able to spell check is a great advantage.

What do you dislike?

It is too simple for my taste. It must also be able to edit blog settings from within the app instead of opening a web page to the provider's dashboard. This can be done for popular services like wordpress. Also, there should be some sort of metrics for content quality management.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want to code your way to a blog, just create a wordpress blog and use livewriter for creating posts without worrying about technicalities.

I use it generally when i have to embed pictures and other multimedia content and dont wanna spend time formatting. In case of no internet connection, i could still write my ideas and then publish later.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windows Live Writer
Windows Live Writer review by Giridhur S.
Giridhur S.

"Old but Gold"

What do you like best?

Offline Editing. Image fixing ( Crop, change brightness, contrast etc.) Easy to insert map snippets.

This is the WYSIWYG blog writer application I have come across in a while. This is very lay-user friendly, and easy to use

What do you dislike?

The program cannot be installed on Windows 10 and Microsoft has discontinued its support. I prefer using Wordpress editor to write blog posts than use this tool.

There are a lot of things I don't like about this tool. I hate the fact that this tool is over 5 years old, and does not have support for things that are common place now, GIFs and such. I would prefer Markdown Editors over this when it comes to blogging, and there is no scope to attach

Recommendations to others considering the product

This doesn't work in Windows 10 anymore. Being honest, I should tell you to switch to other software, that have the same features.

All that said, if you want a truly windows experience while typing and if you enjoyed typing in Wordpad, then this is the product for you.

I was writing a blog for my old hobby club, in the times of Google Blogspot, I used Windows Live Writer to publish to the website. We recently shifted to Wordpress, since that has a good user community and easy to get support.

Windows Live Writer was helping me publish a blog with intermittent internet. And it worked on Windows XP. So, that accessibility helped me stick with it for a long long time, until we finally decided to switch over to Wordpress

What CMS Tools solution do you use?

Windows Live Writer review by OLIVIA P.
OLIVIA P.

"Great for bloggers!"

What do you like best?

This product is great for help with blog formatting. I had trouble on Blogger with formatting and my post getting lost and not posted. I started looking for a solution and came across Window Live Writer. I started using Windows Live Writer each step of the way; composing, formatting, even publishing.

What do you dislike?

I do not have dislikes. This program has changed my whole process of blogging, in a great way!

There is some incapability with Mac computers, but it does not matter to me since I have an HP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this program to bloggers who want to enhance their blogging process.

I run a blog and need to be confident and reassured that my content and post will be posted just as I intended. This product allows me to do just that. You can also use Windows Live Writer offline, which can come in handy at times.

Windows Live Writer review by Thejdeep G.
Thejdeep G.

"Windows Live Writer : A Review"

What do you like best?

- Support for multiple blogs. Also support multiple platforms

- Have an exact preview of the blog post before publishing

- WYSIWYG

- Features that allow to edit images

- Work offline by writing and saving local drafts of publishable material

- Lot of keyboard shortcuts allow you to work with ease and without leaving the keyboard

What do you dislike?

- Development has stopped. No support is issued now

- Formatting issues when text is copied and pasted from other word processing applications

- Prone to crashing, although there has been a slight improvement over the years

- Support for only Windows PC's and not Linux or OSX.

- Missing features such as bad spell check and absence of Find and Replace

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best blogging softwares on the Windows platform. This is such an amazing tool that Microsoft decided to revive after making it open-source.

There are a lot of advantages that make this an easy-pick against all the other blogging solutions :

- Blog post scheduling works fine

- Automatic linking of posts to begin with

A lot more features make this the ideal platform for blogging. And its free.

Blogging technology posts right from the desktop has been such a relief. Great integration. I've been using Windows Live Writer for the past few years. The reason I started using WLW was because I was having a lot of issues with Blogger such as formatting issues amongst the many. Also Blogger is known for not publishing scheduled posts on time and losing posts altogether.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Facilities Services
User in Facilities Services

"It makes blogging easier! "

What do you like best?

I am able to blog anywhere, even on my phone. It makes my ability to put that thought down as it happens. Laptops and Desktops don't always allow for that...I love this on my phone. I use it anywhere I can, now.

What do you dislike?

Nothing is bad about this product as I can tell, it makes writing simpler.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it simply by the accessibility on the phone, laptop, and destop. This makes writing in the moment happen easily. It's simple to use and share. It sets your page up for many options too!

Working more outdoors allows me to be more creative than sitting in front of a computer or laptop all day. I am able to fix things inside, if necessary, on my destop or laptop when I am able. But, while I am in the moment, it is nice to be able to write it down immediately...and share! I love to blog and read blogs.

Windows Live Writer review by Vincent S.
Vincent S.

"Great product love it "

What do you like best?

how easy it is to use. how i can keep in contact with my direct reports and do my work on the go. I also have used this at my home as well because of how much i use it at the office

What do you dislike?

that i cant do more with this product. other wise there is nothing that i dont like

Recommendations to others considering the product

get this product, it will make work easier and better. I relly like using this product. I even use windows live at home. I wish i used this in the past.. I have told a lot of people about this product.

my day has gotten much easier. I am able to do more with less time . i can stay in contact with my dieect reports.

Windows Live Writer review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Desktop interface to my square space blog!"

What do you like best?

Desktop interface, easy to use and publish, spell check, text formatting tools and no requirement to edit through the browser. Offline editing and delayed posting also essential! Free!

What do you dislike?

Can be prone to crashing, propriety software/not open source, Requires a desktop/laptop not mobile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

100% improvement in blog posting over web based interfaces!

I like to maintain a blog and often like to write posts offline. Live writer integrates with squarespace and allows me to write and edit posts offline and publish them when I am back in the office.

Windows Live Writer review by Marwan T.
Marwan T.

"Using Windows live writer for my blog"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use. easy to setup. i like that it downloads the theme and which provides WYSIWYG editor. it offers offline capabiltiy which is helpful to blog anytime.

its support for multiple blogs

What do you dislike?

the plug-ins framework is disappointing. it is a good idea but the plug-ins are not updated and some of them don't work

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft stopped its support for live writer which is disappointing. it is released on Github hopefully this is an opportunity for the developers community to enrich it

regular blogging and support of multiple blogs

Windows Live Writer review by Elizabeth W.
Elizabeth W.

"Useful for bloggers!"

What do you like best?

I tell people if you can write an email or create a word document, you can post to the blog. I use it for my personal blogs, a hobbyist club and my local church.

What do you dislike?

I wish that I had more options for how photos were presented in galleries from here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to have access to your blog and know and understand what your username is.

Blogging and posting to a hosted wordpress blog.

Windows Live Writer review by Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"Could use an upgrade"

What do you like best?

Windows Live writer allows me to publish any blog in different languages and formats according to my client's needs. I like that it is free to download and I like that i can also upload pics if needed.

What do you dislike?

I found it very difficult to change things like font size and line spacing, but that could be because i'm used to Apple products versus using Windows.

I write for a couple of Dental and General Medicine Offices that have Facebook pages and need regular updates and blog posts for business. They appreciate having a broader network to reach with social media.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Great Software Option for Offline Blogging"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and great integration with blogs including Wordpress. Able to easily import media into blogs offline and makes blogging easy when you don't have internet connection.

What do you dislike?

Not updated much. Interface could be improved to improve user friendliness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use is awesome but consider what blogging software you use and whether you actually need an offline blogging software.

Able to regularly keep up with my blog up dates because I don't always have internet access so this allows me to blog and integrate media without having internet access and then post to my blog when I do have internet access with ease.

Windows Live Writer review by Alexis S.
Alexis S.

"pretty good product"

What do you like best?

The integration that it allows you to do. The new user interface is very nice also.

What do you dislike?

honestly I cannot really tell you what I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

get it! its great!

Writing a blog....it really helps me have a creative looking blog.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Computer Software

"Great resource for bloggers and writers"

What do you like best?

Live Writer makes creating blog posts or other online articles very simple. It's user interface is easy to work with, and Live Writer works perfectly with a WordPress blog.

What do you dislike?

Live Writer isn't supported by Microsoft anymore, but Open Live Writer was created from the source code.

Makes it easier to create online articles.

"A Half-Baked Blog Tool"

What do you like best?

It's available for free and was a good initiative by Microsoft.

What do you dislike?

I don't see any benefit over the web based service tools available today.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No point, find something else.

Running our company blog. The benefit I guess is that it's a desktop application and has some standardized functionaltiy.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Live Writer Review"

What do you like best?

We are able to work on a blog post not on the site first, to make it look good an edit as necessary before publishing.

What do you dislike?

Can not publish directly from Live Writer, can just create the draft

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the end, with the price, it is ok and more economical to publish directly from blog host site.

Better laid out blogs, more creative work, more space to work and think before publishing

Windows Live Writer review by User in Computer Software

"A useful tools to write / publish your blog"

What do you like best?

plugins / editor / publish tools / source code

What do you dislike?

some time didn't support some blog type, but this tools is open source now .

help me to publish my blog article

Windows Live Writer review by Avni S.
Avni S.

"A reliable desktop blog-publishing application"

What do you like best?

Best features would be the improved integration including sharepoint 2007 support. There is even integration with Windows Live Gallery, and support for blogger labels. Morevover, I like the new user interface- great accessibility and support.

What do you dislike?

It's a good program-not much to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows Live Writer makes blogging a breeze. You can add photos and videos, format everything and publish to most blogging services.

With Writer, you can preview everything you’re adding to your blog, to see how the fonts, spacing, colors, and images will look, before you publish. It just brings your blog to life.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"older product "

What do you like best?

a very simple wysiwyg editor for blogs is nice

What do you dislike?

it is too simplistic, except for blogs. also, it isn't currently maintained

Recommendations to others considering the product

consider open live writer, the open source version.

we are not really having any problems with the product. Additionally, we never realized any gains from this product.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Open live writer"

What do you like best?

Free and easy to use for anyone who is used to Microsoft word and similar products.

What do you dislike?

Open source hence limited support for the product.

No problems or benefits discovered yet.

Windows Live Writer review by Administrator in Pharmaceuticals
Administrator in Pharmaceuticals

"My experience"

What do you like best?

It's extreme fast network and programming like the upgrades Microsoft word

What do you dislike?

Everything is good so far I haven't found a dissatisfaction

Work related I work in retail and we use computers a lot

Windows Live Writer review by User in Computer Hardware
User in Computer Hardware

"blog application with great integration"

What do you like best?

Its integration feature is very good. Being part of windows Live, it can integrate itself instantly with your entire Live setup: Hotmail, Gallery, Contacts. So all your contacts can instantly have access.

What do you dislike?

Live Writer seems to have taken a backseat against other programmes that provide the same service as Windows Live infrastructure fails to provide innovation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are part of the Windows Live setup then it is worth a go, but it is mainly designed for people who like to blog about everything that is going on! Id say its primary use is for people who live online!

Windows Live Writer review by Tim P.
Tim P.

"Great tool for blogs"

What do you like best?

Fast, easy, highly integrated into other MS product offerings (like all MS products). Multimedia blogs are very easy to create also. works with wordpress

What do you dislike?

not much to dislike. Makes you use Bing maps vs goggle maps, which some prefer, but Bing maps are very strong (better than their search), so it's not a big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great option - one of the better ones, especially in terms of ease of use.

Windows Live Writer review by Erich R.
Erich R.

"Write Blogs Offline"

What do you like best?

Great tool for writing blogs offline. Excellent UI that is comparable or better than most blogging services. Ability to Publish blog to almost anywhere. Also, great for controlling multiple blogs.

What do you dislike?

This tool is not available on Mac OS X and is part of the Live suite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you really want to be able to blog offline definitely give this tool a shot.

Windows Live Writer review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Desktop application to help with blog posting"

What do you like best?

Microsoft support for very extensive tools including ability to publish photos and maps. Very easy to setup new blogs and add content. Includes SDK to publish additional content types.

What do you dislike?

Nothing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works with Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, or WordPress.

Windows Live Writer review by Kryz O.
Kryz O.

"Great account tool for blogs"

What do you like best?

This tool has streamlined searching for multiple blog accounts password etc.

Great for syncing and uploading content offline.

What do you dislike?

It uses bing maps. I prefer google. You can do this manually however Microsoft are promoting their own services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GO for it its free!

Windows Live Writer review by Eugene C.
Eugene C.

"Publish to multiple blog platforms easily from offline "

What do you like best?

It's so easy to setup a new blog and begin publishing using windows live writer. It's integrated to wordpress so once a wordpress account is started, windows live is a very simple tool to begin blog-publishing. It's esp. nice to be able to write and edit offline. Uploading multimedia is easy

What do you dislike?

no dislikes!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not constantly online, check out this tool to stay connected to the blogosphere. This is often also a better interface than the web interface of various blog sites

Learning about Windows Live Writer?

* We monitor all Windows Live Writer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.