Windows Movie Maker

With Windows Movie Maker, you can quickly turn your photos and videos into polished movies.

Work for Windows Movie Maker?

Learning about Movie Maker?

Windows Movie Maker Reviews

Showing 64 Movie Maker reviews
Movie Maker review by <span>Ben P.</span>
Ben P.

Okay, but not great!

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use that goes along with this user interface! It is very easy to learn and allows almost anyone the ability to jump right in and go! This program offers some good motion effects for a slideshow, and allows you to do some good timing cuts for video and audio transitions. There are great video transitions to add some professionalism or even just some fun to your project.

What do you dislike?

Not enough effect control! There are basically NO real video effects in this program... They have some overlays, and filters that you can use, but it does not allow you to do anything really quality as far as video editing goes. This is the program for simple presentation and slideshows, not for video/movie making.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember, if you are looking for a video editing software, this is not it. This is simple cut, drag, paste, add transitions kind of work. It will do great for a presentation or slideshows you would like to create, but it will not be the one you want to make an actual film or quality videos. If you like the user interface of it, try teaming it up with other video editors to give you a better chance at reaching your vision with your project! I have connected it with all of the Microsoft office programs, VSDC, Pinnacle Pro, and iMovie to create better looking projects with the same easy interface!

Running event slides, interview videos with music tracks, Picture slideshows with transitions.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windows Movie Maker
Movie Maker review by <span>Hugo L.</span>
Hugo L.

Become a professional of video editing

What do you like best?

I have been using this software for quite a long time and the thing I like the most is how simple it is to use. The coolest thing is that I can get titles, subtitles and even give credits to my video work with just one click, YES! ONE CLICK! One more thing is that making your videos more exciting is as easy as adding songs to any of the frames you have so that you can give different types of moods to different parts of your video. This software is very complete.

What do you dislike?

One of the things that can be a pain in the neck is that if you're working with a long video, and you want to give different types of effects to different parts of this video, then you have to cut out the parts of that same video you need to change, and later, you need to apply the type of effect you want to each of these pieces of videos separately, and then save them like different files. After all that, you need to join them together. It would be lovely that there was an option to achieve this without so much work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion, Movie Maker is one of the best and free editing resources you´ll find for your videos, as you can apply a wide variety of effects and sound with ease.

I can make most of the video editing process for my business with Movie Maker. This means that if a client wants his or her video to be edited and improved with an HQ quality, or make the video as if it was a black-and-white movie, then I can easily achieve all of this with Windows Movie Maker, and in a few minutes.

What Video Editing solution do you use?

Movie Maker review by <span>Karla Adriana R.</span>
Karla Adriana R.

This is a software that lets you perform basic but professional editing on your videos

What do you like best?

I make videos and brochures for a living, and one of the tolos I frequently use is Windows Movie Maker. There are two things I like about this software: first and foremost, is really easy to use: you can find all of the features easily on the user panel and add them with only one click, which is a pretty cool feature. The other thing I like is that adding music, credits, black and white effects, and many more additions to make your video creation more beautiful is also a piece of cake.

What do you dislike?

Although this software makes a decent job, it has its cons. For example, I don´t like that there aren´t any options to directly add text to a piece of video, and it´s even worse that you cannot export your own custom font styles into the software. It would be a great and awesome addition if there was on option inside Movie Maker that allowed users to drag and drop text, images and any other objects that made video creation and editing more sophisticated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Movie Maker will give you the ability to make your videos more sophisticated and will make them look more professiona.

When a customer asks me if I can finish editing any of the videos they´ll use for parties, proms, speeches, etc., I agree because I know I can get the job done with Movie Maker. Windows Movie Maker gives me the ability to give more life to videos by adding musical pieces; it also gives me the ability to make them more sophisticated by adding the director´s name and credits. These are some of the business benefits I get from Movie Maker: I make my clients happy.

Movie Maker review by <span>Jacinto V.</span>
Jacinto V.

I create subliminal videos with Windows Movie Maker

What do you like best?

I like that Windows Movie Maker makes my life easier and helps me earn a few extra dollars. And how? Well, as it´s super easy to use, I only have to drag and drop a video (with no audio) inside the panel of Movie Maker. After this, I just add a few special effects from the upper menu, and finally, I add audio (that contains subliminal affirmations) in an easy way by using again the drag-and-drop function that this software allows. Everything I´ve just said is what I like about Windows Movie Maker.

What do you dislike?

It gets to be somewhat annoying that after I use the software many times in a row, it becomes really slow. Let me give you an example: if I´ve edited around 10 videos in a row, then when I want to edit video 11, the software starts freezing, and when it finally starts working, it takes centuries for the video to be saved and downloaded successfully. I don´t know why this happens, but it would be great if Microsoft could check this issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Movie Maker allows you to edit and mix videos in an easy way. Be aware that this software is easy to use, but it also has simple and awesome functions, so don´t expect anything super sophisticated.

This is an excellent question, and it has a simple and short answer: I make and edit videos with it, so that I can sell them and earn money. My industry is the freelance world for music and video, thus, if there´s software that allows me to make and edit videos quickly, then this software will be one of the main tools for my business, and this is the reason why Movie Maker is a vital piece for my business that allows me to handle most of my video needs.

Movie Maker review by <span>Marcia R.</span>
Marcia R.

EDIT VIDEOS FOR FREE WITH WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER

What do you like best?

It´s a pleasure that Windows Movie Maker is really easy to use. What I mostly love about this free software is that it allows me to drag and drop pieces of videos that I have inside it, and then it lets me edit them and join them easily. I also love the upper menu that allows me to add text, music, and even effects (such as HQ video image and Black and White "textures"), by only clicking once on the desired option. I really think that editing videos is super easy when I use Windows Movie Maker.

What do you dislike?

I´m sorry to say that there are a couple things I don´t like that much: the first thing is that some short videos (less than a couple mega bytes) can delay the software, and it´ll take you a long time to finish uploading them to Windows Movie Maker. For example, sometimes, I upload a short video to edit, and it´s ready in a few seconds. But then, I upload another shorter video to edit, but this takes years to be ready. The last thing I don´t like is that the software stops working out of the blue some times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Windows Movie Maker is an amazing software for editing videos and create new material from existing one. However, this isn´t Photoshop or something like that, so if you need more than just basic editing, this software won´t help you much. But if you´re looking for something that´s not super sophisticated, then this might be the software for you.

I create videos for customers that contact me as a freelancer, and Windows Movie Maker does most of the job for me. What I do is that I get hundreds of free royalty videos, and then I edit them and combine them in my own unique ways, and customers that need those videos for personal or business purposes, contact me and buy them.

Movie Maker review by <span>Carlota V.</span>
Carlota V.

Editing, merging and creating new films was never so easy.

What do you like best?

This software gives me the ability to combine existing mini films, and merge them in unique and pleasant way so that I can create new engaging video material, and it´s really easy: all I have to do is open the software, then drag all of the videos I want to merge into Windows Movie Maker right box, then choose a couple of effects from the upper panel, then use the cropping tool to refine my new material, and that is all, I have a new video ready to be shared: I think that Windows Movie Maker is the easiest video editing tool you´ll ever find.

What do you dislike?

I don´t know why but, sometimes, the software hinders your project as it becomes really slowly after you use it many times in a row. I´ve had this problem with different desktop computers and laptops. But to be really fair. I´ve encountered this problem with some other software, so it might not be Movie Maker´s fault. Also, the good thing is that this doesn´t happen very often. All in all, Windows Movie Maker is a great versatile tool to edit and create videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best free video – editing tool you´ll ever find, period! It has many useful features such as: merging with style and effects, special black and white effects, ability to convert your videos to a higher resolution. I´m sure that most people who edit videos will find Windows Movie Maker a very helpful tool.

Creating a new video from existing ones becomes really easy by using Windows Movie Maker. It gives me the ability to prepare, edit, and deliver videos to my audience and clients, and they really love the material I deliver. I simply thin that the best thing freelancers can do is to communicate what their service is about with an awesome and engaging video.

Learning about Windows Movie Maker?

* We monitor all Windows Movie Maker reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.