Windward Studios

Windward’s reporting and document generation software allows you to easily design and customize templates with your data – enabling you to generate and edit reports and documents faster.

Work for Windward Studios?

Learning about Windward?

Windward Studios Reviews

Ask Windward a Question
Showing 28 Windward reviews
Windward review by Steve I.
Steve I.

"Amazing flexibility"

What do you like best?

Incredible flexibility to pull data from so many different data sources into a variety of output including MS Office documents. Variables allow user input at run-time to include data or other information that is not from the database.

Powerful selection and logic means that we almost never say "I can't do that" when a customer is specifying requirements for their export templates. Windward integrates with MS Office document styles, numbering, tables and other formatting, often automatically taking on the right formatting without any coding in the template.

Being able to develop against a local datasource using AutoTag reduces the time for changes and new templates, while actual reports and export documents are created from the live product leveraging the Windward Engine.

What do you dislike?

MS Office templates can be fragile. Replicating tags by copy/paste can cause them to break. Templates can also sensitive to errors in document files that are otherwise invisible in Office apps. Reporting engine can have widely varying resource requirements, occasionally causing report jobs to fail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to build powerful reporting capabilities, including MS Office document export, Windward is a great choice!

The Windward Engine is built into our requirements management product, Blueprint, allowing customers and consultants like myself to build templates that export requirements documents in exactly the same format as those authored directly in MS Word or Excel. Exporting to MS Office documents is an incredible feature for our product and our customers as we enable digital transformation from document-based to fully online processes.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Windward Studios
Windward review by Constantinos T.
Constantinos T.

"Best Document Generation in the market"

What do you like best?

The fact that design is in word, excel and powerpoint allows me to use any of my resources to design the document template directly from the users documents. Adding tags to pull data from any data source is also very easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing i dislike. The software is an addon to office applications and makes it easy to start generating documents. The documentation / help could be further improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

when evaluating docgen software make sure that designing is flexible and you are not restricted to headers/footers. Also, make sure that software supports conditional formatting/displaying of content. Autotag and windward engine is on top of office applications and its engine is quite fast.

We use it for the document generation of legal documents and application documents in customer on boarding and loan documents.

What Document Generation solution do you use?

Windward review by Rafal H.
Rafal H.

"AutoTag Review"

What do you like best?

The flexibility and functionality of AutoTag is great. Allowing to create report templates to pull data out from different database sources in sufficient way. After template is created once, It allow to output data in correct format every single time.

What do you dislike?

Biggest issue I come across with AutoTag is outputting in PDF format. It's not always possible to get document outputted in PDF the same way as is visible in MS Word. Also some of chart functionality is not working correctly e.g.(changing colors of chart bars, changing color of text inside a chart).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Windward AutoTag to any user that is working on reporting out from Database sources, as this tool is embedded with MS Office package in great way which allow to create nice looking reports/dashboards.

We currently using AutoTag to create wide range of KPI and other kind of reports for internal use as well as external clients. It allowing us to generate reports on the fly and saving massive amount of time creating reports manually every single time. It is great piece of software especial when integrating it with MySQL/MS SQL database.

Windward review by Joe R.
Joe R.

"Simple Effective Tool with a Highly Adanced Development Engine!"

What do you like best?

The simple template designer has proved very useful in building elegant and crisp looking reports, either in a PDF, Powerpoint Presentation or even a well formatted Excel spreadsheet.

Also, due to this simplicity, the learning curve required to train new members to build templates is a lot less steep than the learning curve to train users in SQL Statements. Our users are much quicker at grasping the knowledge using AutoTag and then learning SQL at a later stage once they are comfortable with the data structure.

What do you dislike?

Being on the development side, there are some limitations to what you can do with the template designer (I.e., LEFT JOIN) is not available as one of the ways to join tables in the wizard. However, there are ways to input any SQL Statement, you just lose the use of the wizard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for crisp, clean reports that utilise the widely used Microsoft Office Suite then there is no better product on the market.

The Engine is also extremely flexible to whatever code base you're using.

Many of the regularly requested internal reports are now built into elegantly designed reports which users are able to run themselves. This is saving time firstly for the user as they can get the report on demand, but also from our reporting and development team so that we can build more reports, explore extra functionality and dedicate more team to new developments.

Windward review by Gerald G.
Gerald G.

"Fantastic Product for Document Generation"

What do you like best?

Ease of use all the way around. Anyone can build a template as long as they know how to use word. Multiple data sources (XML, JSON, SQL and more) allows for easy implementation.

What do you dislike?

Inconsistency when outputting from Word to PDF.

When inputting a data structure (XML) it reads only the first node for the schema. If the second node has additional attributes, those won't be included. A generic XML file must be given to the person creating the templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you first start using this tool, don't over think it. This is so easy, you try to make it harder than it really is.

Using XML and JSON data sources are harder than SQL tables. Make sure you know what kind of data source you have when you select a template administrator.

Instead of having a group of employees generating documents for the company and customers, each person can create his/her own documents on demand. Individual teams can create the templates that meet their requirements.

Windward review by Amit B.
Amit B.

"AutoTag Review"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to import tags from different connected data sources and the ease of use in using the XPath Wizard to filter and select the appropriate content from the data sources.

What do you dislike?

Formatting and the output results to word and PDF are somewhat inconsistent. With a little work, it is possible to get them looking similar, but not exactly the same. The only other nuance is with working with XML files as the data source, if the xml file is changed as a datasource, the output still works, but within the template errors are displayed if it can't find specific variables for the looping criterial.

Client business problems, of easily and quickly distributing letters to their patients. Can quickly output a template from different data sources. One main benefit is the turn around time to produce the output documents, compared to before when client was manually creating letters for their patients.

Windward review by Martyn R.
Martyn R.

"Autotag great piece of reporting software, which integrates nicely with Microsoft Office"

What do you like best?

The way it just works, once a template is set-up. Once I've got to a place where I am happy with the output; Autotag will consistently output what is required every single time!

What do you dislike?

My biggest challenge with Autotag is in ensuring the output appears correctly in relation to the template. It takes a fair bit of work to fully realise the nuances that you have to work with/around in an Autotag template to produce a viable output.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Autotag uses many features which are a part of Microsoft Office. If you are familiar and confident with Office and want to use a Reporting tool then Autotag is definitely a good candidate.

It is best when used with another database, so if you have some sort of SQL/MySQL Server or use Accces then it should work very well.

We use Autotag to provide snapshot reports which are used internally for KPI's and also externally for our clients. This is something that we previously manually generated so saves a ridiculous amount of man hours in producing these reports + it allows them to be generated on the fly. Also with the ease of report creation, this allows us to create more and more varied reports to help out different areas of the company.

Windward review by Tom S.
Tom S.

"Windward delivered our document automation needs"

What do you like best?

Windward was able to solve our issues regarding complex templated document creation. AutoTag enabled us to quickly translate sample documents from our clients into templates that allowed to generate massive amounts of documents, both at scheduled times and on demand.

AutoTag's integration with the familiar Office interface is a huge win, and we were able to even turn our customers onto the solution and have them being to develop their own templates.

In the end, we were even able to function as a reseller, and get the clients to generate their own templates that we could quickly expose via our software for their needs.

What do you dislike?

There were some hoops initially getting it to play nicely with ASP.NET, and complex templates can be difficult to visually navigate and understand

Our customers needed specifically formatted documents for large amounts of data, and needed to be able to generate updated versions of those documents quickly.

We were also able to develop a document generation system that allowed users to request batches of documents and complete them asynchronously, as well as allow for on demand generation of needed documents.

Windward's solution and ease of designing templates made this kind of reporting generation a negligible effort instead of one that we would constantly need to revisit.

Windward review by Adam T.
Adam T.

"Dynamic Letter/document generator for existing database structures"

What do you like best?

I like how flexible it is at creating what I want. Quick response from Support and the software continues to improve at a steady pace. Nearly all formatting is based off of regular old Word and Excel. Everyone knows at least a little about the Microsoft Office software. It's an easy entry into the world of AutoTag.

What do you dislike?

There were certainly some pains in the beginning like with any new tool or software. So far, I have been able to find a way with nearly all "what if" situations our clients bring to me. The only thing I would say could use some tweaking is the validating tool. It's really good at finding and jumping to typical problems to quickly fix the issue. When you move to the much more complex scenarios, the tool still provides useful information but doesn't necessary jump to exactly where you need it to go. It gets you close but not quite there.

I've used AutoTag for over 2 years now. Prior to using this software, we had a mixed bag of embedded crystal reports to some other document generating tools not suited to be customized by our clients. This tool answers one of our biggest resource challenges. Instead of having to hire a bunch more people, we could implement this tool to empower our own clients. Now when changes need to be made, our clients have the power to tweak what they already have, or start from scratch and build their own documents.

Windward review by Brent R.
Brent R.

"Windward ho!"

What do you like best?

I have just started using Windward, but coming from many years of experience with other report tools, I am already smitten with it. The ease of design for at least the fairly basic templates I'm starting to build is, for the most part, remarkable. The output in legitimate DOCX format that can be easily manipulated by end users is head and shoulders above any of the other tools we currently use to create Word documents, which end up as complex tables from edge to edge and top to bottom with very little meaningful ability to be tweaked, let alone heavily edited, rearranged and reused in other documents.

I've also received very prompt, professional and competent responses from Windward's support team. From webinars to email support to phone calls, they've been extremely accommodating and helpful -- not to mention just plain friendly.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to complain about a tool I've only recently started using, and I'll update this review when I've got more experience with it, but two areas I find lacking are documentation (which I've been assured has just started a complete overhaul) and functionality for some of the tags. For example, I've been struggling to use the IF tag to do something that's dead simple in other tools: hide text and/or other elements when a data field is empty/null. Support is working on it and I'm sure I'll get an answer, but this should be more straightforward than it is.

A more long-term concern for me, knowing what I've needed to do with other tools to meet customer needs, is the lack of really powerful scripting and customization. I don't think this is something that they can or should address because from my perspective it's out of scope for AutoTag's purpose, but with one of the other tools we use, I have the ability to write complex JavaScript to create functions, manipulate data, etc. I rarely need to resort to this, but on the occasions where it's been critical to a project requirement I've been saved by it. Time will tell how similar requirements will impact our use of AutoTag; at this point it is supplementing rather than replacing other tools, but I can easily see it being our default go-to designer when customer requirements are typical.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Many other tools will also do a great job of creating PDF output, if that's all your needs require, but I have yet to see a report tool that comes close to providing the native DOCX (Word) output that we get from Windward AutoTag. If truly editable/reuseable Word (or Excel or PowerPoint, presumably, though I have no direct experience with those ... yet) output is something your users need, this is definitely worth looking into.

The primary reason we looked at Windward was inadequate Word output from other report tools. With other tools, there's little room (as mentioned previously) for users to manipulate or reuse the output because it's laid out in rigid tables within tables within tables (and perhaps necessarily so, given the nature of those other tools).. Unfortunately, almost the ONLY reason our customers want Word output is specifically so they CAN make these kinds of changes and/or copy content from the generated output into other documents. Without the ability to use the Word output like a real Word document, users are frankly much better off sticking with PDFs.

By comparison, Windward AutoTag outputs a native, "real" Word document that users can easily interact with, with real headers and footers, real page margins not built from wall-to-wall tables, etc. If the user adds a paragraph of text to page 2, it doesn't blow up the following 30 pages but instead everything flows naturally as you'd expect.

Another benefit we're hoping to gain from using AutoTag as one of our report tools is to allow our customers to more easily create and maintain their own templates without needing a week of training using proprietary software but instead using an add-on for a tool (MS Word) they've been using most of their careers. While we're happy to do whatever report design and maintenance our customers ask for, we also like to be able to get them started and empower them to make changes and additions without relying on us if that's what they prefer. It looks like Windward AutoTag is going to be a huge improvement in that respect.

Windward review by Logan M.
Logan M.

"The best tool for generating client-facing documents"

What do you like best?

The ability to format documents in a tool as familiar as Word is enormously valuable. It empowers non-technical users to take part in the design process without having to learn the technical components.

What do you dislike?

Conditionals in general and especially in tables can be a little clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a need to generate client-facing documents at scale, this is the right tool for it. The ability to design in Word makes the design stage trivial, and the ease of use of the engine makes plugging it in to your solutions simple.

Windward Studios has solved the problems of trying to generate well-formatted and -designed documents at scale.

Windward review by Christopher T.
Christopher T.

"Windward AutoTag review from a Software Developer standpoint"

What do you like best?

I like the user friendly GUI (graphical user interface) that they have. If there is something that I don't understand they have a very helpful online repository where I can look it up. They email support is excellent. The response time is usually within an hour or two. I have talked to a couple different people and all of them have been very helpful.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much that I can think of when it comes to disliking it. The only thing that comes to wind is not being able to edit the excel document while you have the tag editor open.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend this product to anyone looking to add additional functionality to their existing data sources like XML, SQL and any other ones out there.

I have only been working with Auto Tag for about a month so I have not been able to solve any problems yet but I'm working on a report for subscribers within insurance groups.

Windward review by Anthony V.
Anthony V.

"WindWard in my sails."

What do you like best?

AutoTag is build within the Office suite and is therefore able to leverage all the familiar features. This is very useful when you need to make reports useful and appealing.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to pick out the tags if they are mixed in with a block of text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

AutoTag supports connection to more than just databases; Access, Cassandra, IBM DB2, JSON, MongoDB, OData, OLEDB, PostGreSQL, REST, SharePoint List, XML File, Amazon Redshift, Excel Spreadsheet, JSON , Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, ODBC, Oracle, RDL, Salesforce, and SQL Schema.

The wizard will walk you through every step and tons of help is provided every step of the way. There is even the ability to create your own custom connector.

Before AutoTag creating the reports involved a lot of manual data collection and editing. This was time intensive, error prone, and frustrating process. WindWard's AutoTag report creation made it easy to recreate the reports into templates. Whenever we got stuck there was a Wiki based user guide and top notch tech support. The reports now take a fraction of the time to create and are finally consistent in layout and content.

Windward review by Ben L.
Ben L.

"A powerful, flexible and easy way to generate reports"

What do you like best?

The Windward engine is fairly easy to integrate into your application, and the simple way of formatting reports using office applications can only be described as genius.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like is the price, but it isn't really too high. And you definately get an awful lot of quality for your money so it is worth it.

Oh, and I dislike that my auto-correct converts Windward to Winward for some reason.

Our main system is a cloud based forms processing engine, which originally used a home-grown engine to provide reports in CSV and PDF format to customers. Now it runs on Windward and, when coupled with a specialised synchronised reporting database, it runs a lot faster, consuming a lot less resource. Before Windward, customer reports had the chance to bring everything to a standstill for a few minutes, now they run without impacting the main systems at all.

Also, the power of the Autotag template generation system allows us to roll out new reports in less than an hour, as opposed to the day (or days) it could take before.

Windward review by David C.
David C.

"Brilliant Tool - Easy, Simple & Fast!"

What do you like best?

I have just started to use this tool as i am sure many of the other users have! The simplicity of this tool crossed with its powerful tool set make for a brilliant product, One that i find to be very hard to beat! We as a company use a lot of reports and going from an in house product to this is amazing in difference. Reports are generated a lot quicker and smoother. I would recommend this solution to anyone wanting a quick, reliable and simplistic reporting tool.

What do you dislike?

Our company have not have many problems with this product, however any problems we have had have been swiftly sorted and have not required constant pestering! When compared to our old in house tool there are literally no complaints, i cannot think of any points that i dislike with this product. I am due for my first webinar on 17th Feb and hopefully this field will remain with no dislikes :)!

By switching to windward, we have finally been able to unleash the full potential of our product, we have noticed that since switching to windward, we are relieving pressure from the in-house reporting engine and providing an overhaul to the current users experiences by using Windward Studios.

Since the switch i have heard all good news from our clients who utilize our reports and not yet had a complaint!

Windward review by Christian B.
Christian B.

"Used for template maintenance and document production."

What do you like best?

We are far quicker to turn document template changes around with Windward, document production is quick and accurate.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, initial template deisgn was slow, but once the data items and pods were created, re-use made subsequent templates quicker.

Prior to Windward, we used a proprietary method of document production using various stored database procedures, it was very difficult to make changes and we had to do a full regression test with every change.

Windward review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Pharmaceuticals
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Pharmaceuticals

"Seamless. The integration into well used Microsoft products make this so easy to utilise."

What do you like best?

How easy it is to use. There isn't a specific requirement for expensive training courses as all the help you need is provided by the team at Windward. Once you become well versed in how to use Autotag, document production and generation becomes so so easy.

What do you dislike?

The charts were problematic at first, but again, using the resources available on the Windward website, I soon came to understand how they work. Some of the charts that became obsolete in new releases of Autotag was something I felt was a shame but not to the point it was detrimental to my user experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it - you wont be sorry.

Version control of specific reports was a big issue. Using Windward negated that issue immediately. One report template controlled in house allows for universal changes when required and means everyone is using the same report at the same time.

Windward review by Gregory B.
Gregory B.

"The search should stop here"

What do you like best?

The software's user interface is intuitive and easy to use - I very rarely click on something and get a window/option that I wasn't expecting. The database resources you have to connect and get essentially real-time data is also incredible. Most importantly, the support page on their website is one of the most extensive support catalogs of any software I've ever seen. There's only been one time that I can think of where my question wasn't resolved from their support page, and in that case, their e-mail response was incredibly fast and immediately helpful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the executing of queries when you're trying to evaluate them runs slow, but I think that has more to do with my query writing than it does with their software. Not being able to have two query editors open at the same time (or anything else in the excel file) was frustrating to get used to at first, but isn't a deal-breaker by any means.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software is already great, but the support they give puts it over the edge. Your search is over!

The ease of use between users and the same template is an incredible benefit. Anyone with the software can open an template and immediately see what data points are pulling into the templates and where they come from. It saves the same as any other word/excel/PDF document would, and if you didn't have the software, you wouldn't even know it was there.

Windward review by JC L.
JC L.

"Windward AutoTag and Reporting Engine work as advertised"

What do you like best?

Easy data source connection, easy report authoring, super customer service. Authoring options are basically whatever Microsoft Word's formatting offers you, which is a ton.

What do you dislike?

There hasn't been much to complain about thus far, no issues that haven't been resolved promptly by tech support

Generating reports from an internal corporate web application & database, drawing data from SQL Server and Microsoft Sharepoint (images and Excel documents). Detailed report authoring can be done by relatively non-technical staff. Reports can be adjusted as required very quickly.

Windward review by Justin P.
Justin P.

"A little difficult, but overall good"

What do you like best?

Being able to export to Word or PDF, being able to integrate reports into the software

What do you dislike?

Limited support for JSON endpoints, having to wrestle with the interface when doing subqueries.

We can sell clients advanced reports that we run in Windeward

Windward review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Good easy to use product"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and the functions are familiar to other tools like Microsoft word so the usage is familiar.

What do you dislike?

Our use is currently limited to adminstrating templates. With this function, I have no dislikes about windward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good product that does the job from my business point of view. I believe windward does much more but my business has not needed it yet. I would recommend to trial it and see if it suits your needs first.

Windward studios is critical to our business and enables us to administer templates which are called upon by other systems.

Windward review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Insurance
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Insurance

"Versatile application for document generation "

What do you like best?

The ability to apply data directly on a template.

What do you dislike?

The limitations for retention of formatting within the import function. Also the lack of support for footers in templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

We were able to modify the outdated way our company generated documents for our customers. And realized that there were ways to work smarter not harder.

Windward review by Administrator in Machinery
Administrator in Machinery

"Easy to use and very flexible"

What do you like best?

Windward is the perfect software for non IT people. With minimal training and a little effort, professional looking detailed reports become a breeze.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be a "little" more user friendly but it is by no means difficult to use. It just has some quirks that could be made a little better.

Before, my department was handling over 10,000 pages of report documents manually...! Now with Windward, we just manage our data and let the software do the rest!

Windward review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software

"Windward User Review"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use once you have the basics figured out in terms of tags and what the tricks and tips are. The support staff is also really helpful and have plenty of documentation to help get you started.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the formatting required can be really tricky and the error messaged can be vague, which makes trouble shooting difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to be directly creating the templates it is really beneficially to have SQL knowledge. Once you have that figuring out the tags is easy!

We are able to quickly create custom template for our clients that are easily updated. Benefits include being able to transfer licenses between users and instructing clients who have never used it before.

Windward review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Windward embedded in Energy Billing Systems"

What do you like best?

Windward is a reliable platform for delivery letters and reports.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really - it does the job.

We haven't had the need to determine what it doesn't do for yus.

We needed an embedded document creation solution within our Energy Billing platform that enables us to produce PDF documents. Windward does what we need and it has been in live operation for around 10 years.

Windward review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Windward Autotag user review"

What do you like best?

Smooth integration with MS Office (once the initial setup issues are sorted out!)

What do you dislike?

Currently using old version dictated by client version on report server, and the old versions of Autotag's data connector did not play nice with where Windows installs Office by default, even worse now with the recent company stipulation to upgrade to latest version of MS Office which doesn't even let you customise the installation path.

Report templates to generate official letters and certificates for client

Windward review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Great for dynamic reports "

What do you like best?

The best part is long term maintenance and redesign flexibility. Once you have a template done and If you have auto tag installed it is very straight forward to tweak your documents reports to business needs

What do you dislike?

Looking for the license key to enable the software

Not any business problems but using it to maintain business design

Windward review by User in Investment Management
User in Investment Management

"Windward is a great product for writing simple templates"

What do you like best?

Windward support was very quick in responding to my tickets

What do you dislike?

There is poor support for PDF reports that have graphs

I am creating templates for a report that needs to be printed as PDF. A benefit is that Windward support is really great!

Learning about Windward Studios?

* We monitor all Windward Studios reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.