WinSCP

WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for Windows (only for Windows). Its main function is file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality.

Work for WinSCP?

Learning about WinSCP?

WinSCP Reviews

Showing 72 WinSCP reviews
WinSCP review by Cristian A.
Cristian A.

"A great way to access Database"

What do you like best?

It's simple, clean and easy to use, the configurator allows for a bunch of parameters (more than enough in our particular case) and overall it just seems like an extra drive to access data from external databases, so it fits perfect for any Database file check.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike any of it, usually these products with small menus and few options I use to value more if what they do is done well than focusing on what they don't, because a small program like this is focused on doing only a few things and they are done right I don't think we should focus in the things you miss.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have to access any database in your job and you don't want an extra layer of complexity to use it (it works like an open directory window just like any windows OS window) it is by far the most simple yet working software I can recommend. It's not heavy, it's fast, it shows the issues with simple vocabulary and a friendly interface.

We can use this program as an extended drive to access files in databases not encountered physically near us controlling the security aspects of this access: file protocol, ssh security, proxy or tunneling connection and also directory access and permisions, it doesn't require any skills or previous knowledge so even beginners can use and configure with a simple step by step tutorial.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about WinSCP
WinSCP review by Richard W.
Richard W.

"WinSCP - Easy and Effective"

What do you like best?

The UI is very intuitive and easy to use and supports SFTP, FTP and other protocols. It also has a drag and drop interface for easily sendingand receiving files from a web server. I really appreciate how it doesn't automatically time-out after a few minutes because even doing web development and code writing, I am constantly making changes as uploading to serve and switching back and forth between software. I also appreciate how it remembers the local and host directories used last.

What do you dislike?

At this point there is nothing I dislike about the program. It does everything I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost is really inexpensive and the intuitive ease of use makes it well worth your money.

We use GoDaddy to host our website files, which is actually quite nice and inexpensive. The problem with GoDaddy is its' web-based UI for uploading files - not user friendly at all. So we use WinSCP because it was easy to set up but mostly for its drag-and-drop file upload features. This makes it super easy to use in the development process.

What Storage Management solution do you use?

"Essencial in Windows "

What do you like best?

It's compatible with FTP, SFTP, and for me the most important SCP, due SSH.

The people like me that works normally with Linux machines, needs applications like WinSCP very useually. Most of the time I work in Ubuntu or Centos, but everyday I need to do things with windows machines, normally to ofimatic tasks, word and excel basically, and with WinSCP I can move my files back to Ubuntu very fast and easy.

What do you dislike?

In general nothing, its perfect. But in my opinion WinSCP would have to include a complementary SSH terminal, that can be very necessary in some times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's basic for people that works with different OS. It's free, easy to use and there are portable versions.

Allows me to move files across different operative systems and machines

WinSCP review by Virgilio L.
Virgilio L.

"The best SCP and SFTP tool"

What do you like best?

WinSCP it's a simple application to connect to your servers by the typical protocols, normally sFTP and FTP for web servers and SCP for Linux servers. There are no special things, it's just copy files, but it's efficient and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The appearance it's an old fashioned style, that needs a new skin or template.

Recommendations to others considering the product

WinSCP allows you to move files throw different operative systems and throw different networks. If you need to copy files in safe way to a server, and you work in windows this it's your program. Also it's totally free and open-source

I use to move files throw different nodes and servers when I'm working in Windows. In Linux there are good alternative, but in Windows it's the best option.

WinSCP review by Roshan M.
Roshan M.

"One hell of a life saver! "

What do you like best?

The easiness of use. No doubt about the ease of use of WinSCP. The file transfer is just drag and drop like normal windows and can be done from one server to another. We can save the sessions, including passwords, this saves us a lot of time in logging in each and every time. We can compare directories to check for missing files, this is useful when the directories are huge and copying will take up a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

The only issue with WinSCP is that shell commands do not work in this. And also it is not available for linux and mac. And in a rare occasion while copying file, the encoding changed from UTF-8 to another. This had caused me a lot of problems as this cannot be seen at the time, but only caught while processing. File transfer although great, is comparatively a little slower at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to connect to remote servers, then this is the application to use. Usage does not get any easier than this. Once you use this, you will not look for any other application.

As a person working from a different location from the client, WinSCP has been most useful because we can access remote servers from our local machines. Also we can access multiple servers at a time. And once logged in, the sessions can be saved for use in future which eliminates the login process everytime we need to use.

WinSCP review by Chirag A.
Chirag A.

"Great Software for secure file transfer"

What do you like best?

Its a very light and portable software along with a great Graphical User Interface. Moreover it is a open source software which is available free of cost.

It is also very easy to navigate between files and folders using this software. It also have drag and drop feature which makes it very easier to use.

What do you dislike?

Only its session got expire very soon. Apart from this I did not see any drawback with this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very light software and is open source along with very good graphical user interface. Best software for transferring files securely between servers. But the firewalls between two servers should be opened.

We are transferring files that we received on one of our unix server to windows environment or our local machine and then perform analysis on the data contained in those files.

WinSCP review by santosh d.
santosh d.

"Winscp-Terrific SCP and SFTP client"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, and includes lots of useful functionality.It supports FTP, SFTP and other protocols. User interface is very good when compared to filezilla. i like the way it remembers the previously used directories and opens the same folder next time, which reduces my work. Drag and drop functionality is another one which makes my life easy.

What do you dislike?

In SFTP Due to the encrypted connection the data transmission is slower then with FTP

Recommendations to others considering the product

i would like to recommend all the developers who access code in secure way and inexpensive way.

we use aws and godaddy hosting for our development. Winscp helps us to easily connect to the servers code securely. AS access to cpanel and hosting environment is not recommended to all users so, winscp helps to access with restriction on content.

WinSCP review by User

"Easier way to access raspberry pi"

What do you like best?

I use this software to access my raspberry pis through window. As it supports SMTP and FTP so the files can be easily transferred from window to pi or viceversa. It allows us to access more than one pi at the same time in one window. The whole screen gets divided in two parts. One part shows the window directory and other shows the pi. It allows to copy and paste the file through clicking and dragging it to the destination. We can easily edit any file in pi without the need of commands unlike putty.

What do you dislike?

No major issue. Only one change that i would suggest is the inclusion of colour coding for showing the codes. It opens the code like a normal notepad which is quite boring.

I am using it in the automation testing. It allows me access more than one pi and window at the same time on my system. I can easily open and edit a file without the need of any command.

WinSCP review by Joe S.
Joe S.

"WinSCP, making FTP and SFTP easy"

What do you like best?

WinSCP is a very basic, easy to use FTP and SFTP system. You can edit pages and download / upload things into websites very easily and use different designs to make the use easier for you.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. It is very basic and gets the job done fine. There isn't too many ways to become fancy with an FTP program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very simple piece of kit. You need to know some information about coding and what FTP and SFTP is

using WinSCP has made large uploads and duplication easier for us and also editing HTML websites very easy.

WinSCP review by Manuel T.
Manuel T.

"Good tool to web designers"

What do you like best?

With WinSCP I can move the files of the websites from the computer that I'm developing to the servers very fast. Normally I use FTP or SFTP but sometimes I need to copy files direct to a server, and I use with SCP.

What do you dislike?

In general everything it's ok. Some times the application crash in windows, but probably is related with the connections, not with the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best alternative to move files, it's free and opensource. Also there are portable versions.

Basically move files throw the web servers and my laptop or desktop.

WinSCP review by Jason G.
Jason G.

"the best sftp and scp client for windows"

What do you like best?

Winscp is secured in terms of uploading/downloading files instead of using regular FTP connection. With WinSCP I can just drag and drop files I wanted to upload and download. Also I can edit text files with the need of command line as I am using WinSCP also to remote Linux machines

What do you dislike?

Loading time of directory is slow and whenever I upload something it takes lots of time

Recommendations to others considering the product

WinSCP can be a tool for beginners in editing text files on a linux machine. If you are lazy to do it via command line, then do it via WinSCP!

Accessing remote windows and linux clients, making some changes remotely on those.

WinSCP review by Peter W.
Peter W.

"Free SFTP and FTP client"

What do you like best?

Very easy setup, just download and install, then you're ready to go.

Good interface, nice and easy to save predefined connection details for quick re-entry.

Good security features ensure your password is always protected and never open to view.

The program is very fast, takes seconds to start up and is very quick to FTP into a site.

The dual pane view is extremely useful, as you can have your own local directory open in WinSCP while still FTPing into your desired website.

The way WinSCP displays the websites information architecture is also very well laid out and makes sense to any new user.

WinSCP is regularly updated, ensuring any security flaws are speedily found and patched.

What do you dislike?

Some of the fields are hidden amongst menus, so if you didn't know you were missing a particular piece of information, it might take a while to track down what information you need.

The user interface is rather dated, like something you would see in Windows 98.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think as an FTP client, this sits somewhere in the middle. Might be a bit too hard to use for total amateurs, and a pro might be looking for some extra features. But for your average developer, this is more than enough.

WinSCP meets all of our needs, but if your a system or back-end developer, I would go with something a bit more in-depth.

By being able to save our FTP connection details, it takes seconds to gain entry to our web server to start making changes.

The dual view mode enables us to do all of our file uploading and downloading all in the same program, reducing time spent switching between programs.

The manner in which the WinSCP displays your site also reduces time spent hunting for a particular part of a site.

WinSCP review by swetha m.
swetha m.

" Mode Of Secure File Transfer"

What do you like best?

1) It has helped to transfer files from our local windows machine to Linux production servers very easily.

2)WinSCP login- It has stored sessions which saves all login details like username, hostname and password which saves our time and also helps to login easily the next time.

3) Duplicate Session- WinSCP has an option to create duplicate sessions which is very helpful while showing our demo for multiple modules.

4) Permission Invoke or Revoke- This is at tip of our finger, it has saved lot of time of remembering and typing the commands in putty to change the permissions of folder or files, just a click on properties does it.

5) Integration with Putty-As it is integrated with putty,its very easy to login to the same session and navigate to directories easily

6) Easy Icons-We have lot of icons like moving to home directory,back and forward icons,refresh icons which is very much helpful in case of Linux machines where without refresh you will be not able to see the change and lot more.

7) Helps in creating any type of file or directory just with a right click of a button.

What do you dislike?

1) Login- WinSCP should prompt when password has changed rather than notifying access denied.

2) File size- WinSCP cannot transfer huge files

3) WinSCP should have an option to open putty session from the path where we want rather than each time configuring the putty session

Recommendations to others considering the product

1) Very easy means of file transfer from any machine to any other.

2) Ease of changing permission of folders and files

3) Integration with putty which helps in executing the jars very easily by navigating to respective path of winscp

1) It has helped to transfer all our deployable artifacts from our local windows machine to Linux production servers and other environments very easily.

2) It has helped to change permissions as required in different environments as necessary in just a click.

3) It has also helped in taking backup in our local machine very easily before deploying our files or jars

4) It's integration with putty has helped in navigating to directories very easily and execute our jars

WinSCP review by User in Higher Education

"Best file transfer tool "

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use, user-friendly and extremely fast speed made me a fan of this excellent tool.

What do you dislike?

Nothing specifically I don't like about this tool since I started using this 5 yrs ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend winscp to everyone. It supports different file transfer protocols required by engineers. I think you will get every functionality embedded in this tool compared to other tools designed for the same purpose. The file transfer protocols are very fast, the tool itself is light. Kudos to the developers. It's a must for especially telecom engineers working with scripts.

When I used in industry 5yrs ago, one of my colleagues recommended this tool for file transfer between a windows machine and Linux server. I liked the tool so much that I still use it even I no longer work in the industry.

WinSCP review by Nikhila D.
Nikhila D.

"esay movement of files"

What do you like best?

The UI is very friendly and easy to use

The creation of folders and creation of files is very easy.

The session can be saved which helps us in logging in easily

The application can be used to move the files within the same folder or diffrent folder.

We can move the files from our local system to linux just by drag and rop option which is very easy

When we try modifiying any file, it asks for the passowrd which ensures the security feature

What do you dislike?

We cannot copy and paste the files or folders.

Other than that i dont see any drawback

All our UT and ST server deployments are done in Linux by the use of WINCSP

All the logs are are also viewed by using the same platform

The viewing of files and editing of the property files for the generic modules is done through WINSCP instead of using any other environment as its the easiest way to edit.

WinSCP review by Joseph D.
Joseph D.

"Simple and easy to use product, with minor hiccups"

What do you like best?

I like the simple 'drag and drop' interface of WinSCP and the customization settings to reflect personal preferences in use. Data transfer is as fast as a CLUI SCP/SFTP transfer.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it fails to open ssh account with lots of login print messages (e.g. module loading and server use messages).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and highly recommended for those needing GUI to CLUI data transfer.

This software has helped our laboratory transfer files to and from windows platform to a high-speed server, typically for visualization of graphs in extensions that the ssh software cannot read (e.g. PDF).

WinSCP review by Matthew Q.
Matthew Q.

"Easy to use FTP client"

What do you like best?

WinSCP is a very easy to use and free option for those that need to connect to an FTP or SFTP server. As a video editor I use SFTP's to deliver my final projects and the speed and easy of use of WinSCP are what I appreciate the most. The stability is also paramount for me. I usually work on tight deadlines with large file transfers so the ease of mind that comes with the stability of WinSCP is also a huge asset.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick one thing that I dislike about WinSCP it would be that it is maybe a little too basic. I love how easy to use it is, but the user interface is a little bit basic. Although for the price you can't complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it out. I started using it a while ago and haven't looked back. The stability of WinSCP is just there and even though the user interface can be a little basic at times it works well for what I need it to. Overall I definitely recommend at the very least giving WinSCP a try. You never know, maybe you'll end up switching over from whatever software you are using now.

I have used other FTP clients in the past but they have either not worked correctly or not been reliable. WinSCP has never crashed on me or had issues uploading so this has really fixed my connection reliability problem.

WinSCP review by Sushant D.
Sushant D.

"FTP Made easy"

What do you like best?

WinSCP provides an ease to transfer data from one server to another. It provides a graphical UI to fulfill the need of data transfer. As the name suggests SCP, being a command to copy data form one machine to another, same is achieved by the tool. Also it is getting more advance day by day providing an ease to visually see the data, permissions over particular directory, and also allows us to read and write into files, which is a pretty good solution to those who are not much aware with VI editor or unix commands

What do you dislike?

The major dislike, or an enhancement which I seek in this tool is the execution of the scrips, which as of now is achieved only via shell.

Here most of the things of shell are achieved in a visual manner, but when it comes to execution, then we always have to open a separate shell session.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is highly recommended for people who use FTP between different machines, but one should not become totally dependent on WinSCP for FTP, as I've seen many people who don't want to learn the Shell commands for the things for which WinSCP solve the purpose, and thus become totally dependent on the tool

Mainly we use WinSCP for FTP of data from local machine to Linux server.

Also as it comes with some other advancements of read write features of data, sometimes we feel an ease to do the same using WinSCP instead of using the shell commands.

WinSCP review by Sagar S.
Sagar S.

"Simple SCP Tool for Windows"

What do you like best?

I can just drag and drop the files from the local to remote and vice-versa without any tedious process and the change is reflected in the server real quick.

What do you dislike?

Something that I dislike about WinSCP is probably too many pop-ups for even very small processes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an easy to use software. If you feel difficult to write commands in terminal for file transfer, it is the good tool to go.

I am using WinSCP to transfer files between the server and local and seeing the changes on the fly.

WinSCP review by Deepak K.
Deepak K.

"Free and easy to use"

What do you like best?

first best thing is its available for free. it has a good user interface and very easy to use.

single tool to perform SCP and FTP/SFTP tasks. Easy to maintain credentials. configuration migration is very easy from system to system.installer package is very light weighted and requires minimum effort for installing. winSCP have good documentation and forum is also very to get your issues resolved.

What do you dislike?

sometimes it gets freeze if the remote directory have large number of files. file transfer is also slow in SFTP mode. the error description also need some improvement. sometimes we really wonders, what is the exact problem with the connection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try, i assure you it ll not let you down.

i am using winSCP for file transfer between my AWS instance and local machine. its simple interface makes it a perfect tool for FTP/SFTP.

WinSCP review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy to navigate and secure"

What do you like best?

Software is free and easy to use; you can use it to securely transfer folder not only files i seconds. It is virtual shared folder without the paperwork.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that it is not available for mobile users and that it needs to be downloaded there is no option to use a web based version

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth having even just to use as a back up. I would recommend clearing this with your IT department as this si the only step that took a long time for me, everything else has been very easy.

I am quickly able to receive month end report from vendors with HIPAA and financial information as soon as the data becomes available.

WinSCP review by Bhavya M.
Bhavya M.

"Best FTP Client"

What do you like best?

It helps me to transfer files via FTP or SFTP, and is free. It is secure and have the sessions stored. It is also very easy to use. Just being able to drag and drop files from a windows computer to a remote server is such a saving of time.

What do you dislike?

This tool is only available for windows and sometimes file transfer speed is too low.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are searching for a tool to transfer files to remote server then according to me this is the best available tool and its very secure also, plus it can be integrated with putty.

I am developing a website and I generally use WinSCP to transfer files onto the remote servers via FTP, SFTP.

WinSCP review by Avery S.
Avery S.

"Making SFTP and SCP as easy as drag-and-drop"

What do you like best?

It's an open-source and free solution for managing secure file transers for multiple protocols. It has an easy-to-use two-pane interface, but also has many buttons and features for some specific use cases. I really only use drag-and-drop with SFTP, and it works wonderfully for that.

What do you dislike?

I think it could use a better (or more obvious) way to do SSH agent handling. PuTTY has a built-in key authentication module, but I'm not sure how to leverage that in WinSCP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free: try it out! It easily handles a lot of the simple SFTP and SCP needs for Windows.

I use it to securely move files to and from my customers' servers. It's much easier to navigate remote folders and select exactly the right file when you have a graphical utility. I used to use command-line FTP functions, which is a bear to use if you don't have good tab completion. (AIX's ksh is no replacement for bash.)

WinSCP review by Adelle Berzabeth K.
Adelle Berzabeth K.

"The best SFTP/SCP client for Windows"

What do you like best?

I like WinSCP because its free. Also with WinSCP, I can upload, download and edit files simply just by "drag and drop" method which is very convenient for a non technical person like me

What do you dislike?

Only thing I am dissatisfied with WinSCP is that it takes time to load a certain directory

Recommendations to others considering the product

WinSCP is better than FileZilla!

Accessing remote machines and uploading files on it. It helps all employees here because its easy for us to upload files in our servers

WinSCP review by Renato C.
Renato C.

"Excellent linux managing tool"

What do you like best?

The commander window screen!! It is so comfortable and easy to work with, just being able to darg&drop files from a windows computer to a linux box is such a saving of time.

I work a lot with linux and very often one wastes more time navigating tih the command line than doing actual business, combining winscp with ssh session saves a lot of time just using winscp to copy and browse files.

What do you dislike?

I don't like much the fact that winscp wants to do too much stuff and the things that it should do as a plus it doesn't do it. For example sudoing or su- to gain root access once logged is often very important to manage correctly files.

Also some kind of scripting integration could be very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how the linux file management and permissions work before using this software or you'll risk creating a big mess

Speed of action administering linux boxes improves greatly. Just browsing and copying files through winscp saves a lot of time because doing it the bash way is just slow.

Also being able to edit files using notepad is a big plus if the files are very big.

WinSCP review by James D.
James D.

"My go to FTP/SCP Client"

What do you like best?

Theres always that time when your on a windows PC and you need to get a file onto your *NIX server. WinSCM makes this easy whether you have SCP or FTP running.

It connects quickly, lets me copy files to and from our servers and mainly it is very stable even on some of the slower networks.

The GUI is also fantastic.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes if WinSCP has been closed incorrectly it will prompt to delete temporary files, I know it only takes a second to click no but it can be a pain when trying to quickly upload something whilst on the phone to a client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to access a server running SSH/SCP or even FTP/SFTP this software is ideal. It's user friendly and it just works!

We needed a way to get files from our windows PC's to our Linux and Unix servers both local and hosted. We primarily use this for SCP although I will occasionally use it for SFTP and FTP

WinSCP review by Daniel K.
Daniel K.

"Best tool to handle SFTP file remote management"

What do you like best?

The best thing about WinSCP is that it's reliable, secure, doesn't crash. You can manage configurations for remote devices. You can also store password for each remote machine entry. WinSCP can send KeepAlive packets so your connection won't be terminated automatically for no activity.

What do you dislike?

Often even when you have keep alive enabled connection is lost. When you want to copy folder with many single files it will take ages to complete. For example - it's better to upload ZIP archive to remote machine and unzip it than trying to upload already unzipped archive. First way is xxx times faster.

Also, sometimes it takes time display certain directories on your remote machine and user experience is not the best. WinSCP just freezes during fetching list of files in directory. Especially if there's long response time from server or lots of files in directory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use Windows you should definitely download and use WinSCP. There's no better software to my knowledge in this matter. If you're unsure what to choose - FileZilla or WinSCP then just go with WinSCP. I've used both file managers and FileZilla is great disappointment if you're used to working with WinSCP standards.

I was using WinSCP to manage my files on remote machines - either for hosting websites or working with game servers. WinSCP is very reliable and just works. It solves problem of handling SFTP connections with remote Linux machines pretty good. It's comfortable way to work with Linux filesystems from Windows. So, yeah, if you use Windows you should definitely check and use WinSCP in your workflow.

WinSCP review by Carlos M.
Carlos M.

"Secure FTP with a bunch of utils with WinSCP"

What do you like best?

This tool has everything to work on a remote server through some protocols. SFTP, SSH and WebDAV.

Folder's Tree, drag n drop capabilities and many more features. You can setup colors to differentiate your servers / remote hosts, finally, there's a text editor built-in, there's no way you couldn't find that handy if you're working on a pc that's not yours and you like to have tools you're comfortable with.

What do you dislike?

At this time, i don't dislike anything on this application. It has worked flawlessly for me and i will recommend it until i find something more useful than this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a FTP/SSH/SFTP alternative to other softwares, this is your new go-to tool, there's no way you will find anything like this on the current market for free and open source.

I use a lot the FTP and SSH protocols with my clients, this tool helps me with such matter a lot, i use it almost everyday.

WinSCP review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"WinSCP review"

What do you like best?

WinSCP is a very handy tool for day-to-day server administration. It is a very lightweight client - you don't even really have to install it; you can just run the executable for it. It is a very simple and easy-to-use tool for connection to a server via sftp or ftp and browsing folders and copying files.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any dislikes about WinSCP. It is free and easy to use - so what's not to like?

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free and it works great! I don't hesitate in recommending that other people use and embrace WinSCP

We use WinSCP all the time for our day-to-day server administration. It is very handy for non-linux admins to be able to connect to a linux servers and browse folders and files and also to be able to copy data between two servers as well. Our VMware admins use it to connect to ESX hosts as well in order to copy files back and forth or edit files on the vmware, linux-like OS as well.

WinSCP review by Jack K.
Jack K.

"Simple, functional, extensible"

What do you like best?

WinSCP is one of the few GUI tools that embraces its spot as a power users' tool without giving into clutter or obscurity of interface. Integration with PuTTY makes it easy to get started quickly with existing SSH sessions. Powerful settings access for parallel downloads, control over queue functionality and queue completion action, multi-session support, and so forth makes it easy to customize while not losing sight of its core competency - quick and easy file transfer. I'm also a huge fan of the customizable commands section; being able to quickly tarball, lob files to pastebin with a click, and so forth thanks to the easy editing of commands makes it easy to use. I'm a command line fiend but I still love using WinSCP for all my bulk and complicated file transfers.

What do you dislike?

Session timeouts and transfer slowness can cause it to choke in a less-than-intuitive way; if I'm dealing with a slow or intermittently connective server, I'll often end up using rsync just because WinSCP doesn't always handle that well. Favorite folders and navigation beyond the basic file traversal is a bit of a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! It's free, simple, and easy to use.

Simple, easy file transfers for complex loads from multiple servers were made easy when I started using WinSCP. In cases where command line SCP just wouldn't work due to the complexity of file selection or the like, WinSCP made it easy to figure out what needed to go where in a simple interface that didn't sacrifice the power of the command line.

WinSCP review by Pepe  B.
Pepe B.

"A imprescindible application to work between diferent systems"

What do you like best?

It's a good application if you work with windows as desktop and you have the servers in Linux like Ubuntu. With Winscp you can transfer the files very fast, between nodes, and it's compatible with SCP and FTP. The SCP works throw SSH tunnel.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislike of winscp. It do what I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a small application that allows to move files throw SCP and FTP/SFTP

It permits me to move files like programs, between the servers and windows computers that I have to install the new programs for example. It's fast and easy to use.

WinSCP review by Olavi S.
Olavi S.

"It is a simple and a robust way to do both ftp and sftp"

What do you like best?

The user interface is simple and responds quickly. Making multiple session and creating tabs is clean and simple, should you create too many the error message is clear and does not require additional diagnosis, chrashes are non existant. Disconnects are handled well by a thirty second timer.

The files are opened in the editor of my choice, open quickly and download fast.

What do you dislike?

The console interface is poor and lacks features, copying files around is simpler to do by copying them to a local directory and then browsing to the remote copy you want to copy to. Opening multiple files or a directory in sublime or another editor cannot be done with one click. However you can drag and drop folders and files to the explorer. Deleting folders requires indexing them, so if they have huge file counts you are forced to use the command line, which is unfortunate. Automatically downloading files which are compressed or compressing them on the server is a hugely important feature that WinSCP would be much better with. It just generally does not handle large file counts well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it, I love it.

It is my main tool for connecting and using remote directories, absolutely couldn't do without it. It is just so simple. I use it to upload files and browse remote directories. We also use it to deploy some sites, since uploading files is very fast with it.

WinSCP review by Giuseppe M.
Giuseppe M.

"Simple, Powerfull, the Best!"

What do you like best?

-Free, open source graphical user interface for the FTPS, FTP, and SCP protocols.

-Simple and powerful, no unnecessary extras. Save different site profiles and connect to remote server with one click.

-Terrific SCP and SFTP client. Easy to use, and includes lots of useful functionalities.

-Drag and drop support, allows to transfer files simply by dragging them.

-Included text editor You can open files from remote servers directly in a text editor, make desired modifications and save file without downloading on local computer and upload it again.

-Available in multiple languages .

-No boltware, no ads.

What do you dislike?

-File transfer speed is very low some times, even using SCP protocol.

-Only available on Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will suit if you want a SCP (secure copy) client for Windows that uses SSH and offers a rich feature set. It includes a built-in terminal, it can launch Putty directly, allows remote file editing, direct transfer and transfer queuing, and has the ability to limit download speed rates.

I use WinSCP for daily management tasks on our Windows/Linux servers. The easily organized tabbed interface, internal editor, session list, and the many keyboard shortcuts make it a pleasure to use. The addition of a command line interface is great since it make easy to use with bash commands. A huge plus is the small size and portability, since it can be easily moved to different management servers and stored in a flash drive. It's an application that requires a bit of technical knowledge to use properly (especially if you use built-int Putty function), but when you overcome the initial hurdles and learn the keyboard shortcuts it's huge time saver. Support is excellent, it's well documented and the developer is active on deliver new updates, plus the community in the winscp.net forums.

WinSCP review by Gergő P.
Gergő P.

"One of the best SFTP client for Windows"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, especially if you familiar with Total Commander. I love the drag and drop function, and that I can easily switch the current session to putty console. I manage about 10 different site and server over the world, and its help me a lot between my home windows and these Linux based computers.

Love that I can use my own text editor to edit a file.

And so easy to modify the file permissions!

What do you dislike?

The built in console is not so useful, and the typical copy-paste function is not exist. The one that I really miss is the zip/unzip build in feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are trying to set up a website or using a root server, probably this is the best SFTP client for you!

FTP transfer, SSH connection.

I prefer sometimes the graphical display over the command line, and WinSCP gave this benefit.

WinSCP review by Alejandra M.
Alejandra M.

"Handy FTP tool with a Built in Editor"

What do you like best?

I've used many ftp tools reaching as final destination WinSCP, i use it a lot when working on remote servers. It also brings Putty integration, so you will be able to run commands in a shell session without having to login twice to the same host.

What do you dislike?

The file transfer speeds can sometimes reach the worst you'll ever have, it should be fixed in the coming time. Also It's a shame this handy tool is only available for Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with remote hosts and use a lot the FTP / SFTP protocols, you should take a look at this tool, it won't let you down, ever.

Having a graphical tool to browse through directories and edit simple config files is super handy when setting up a server instance or doing some last minutes fix.

WinSCP review by Brian S.
Brian S.

"The best SFTP and FTP client software"

What do you like best?

What I like the most with WinSCP is that it is free and it meets all my needs especially when I need to edit a certain text file on a linux machine and too lazy to do it via command line.

What do you dislike?

it takes so much time to load when you are trying to access a directory with large files inside it. Also uploading of file consumes more time compared to filezilla

Recommendations to others considering the product

Winscp is better than filezilla interms of editing text files, it loads directory and syncs file faster than filezilla

Accessing linux machine directories and making some changes on files inside it (upload, edit text files)

WinSCP review by Matt J.
Matt J.

"Need FTP and SSH...WinSCP is where it is at!"

What do you like best?

Constant updates. Great GUI. Integrations with many text editors and shells. Fantastic speed.

What do you dislike?

This will sound petty but I don't like that the Close button on the connections panel closes the whole program. Other than that, nothing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using products like Filezilla and PuTTY separately. STOP and get WinSCP. You won't regret it.

Able to remotely gain access to our RaspberryPi systems that we use throughout our facility for digital signage. We can add/remove/edit files in the file manager. Or use the PuTTY integration to issue shell commands. So much easier that going to each display with a keyboard and a mouse.

WinSCP review by User

"Best file transfer manager"

What do you like best?

The best features of this software is the huge quantity of options that offers in terms of integration (putty, external editors) plus its management of sessions organized in tabs plus how it handles the storage of connections. And surprisingly it's free.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, WinSCP software has everything we need. Maybe as it happens with other software, it is only available for Windows and in my case, I work with Mac and Linux at home.

We use WinSCP to transfer files remotely as well as to connect to unix servers using SFTP protocol. Actually we store passwords within WinSCP and we connect through putty just to save time typing user and passwords.

WinSCP review by User

"Simple but powerfull SFTP client"

What do you like best?

The interface recall the windows explorer, very intuitive. You could use inline editor or external editor.

What do you dislike?

It Does not support direct file duplication. Either you have to open another session or make a local copy. If you make a local copy it means you have to download the file before, so it is not practical to big files

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free. It does what it is supposed to do very well

I can connect to AWS to upload and download file using a standar security protocol

WinSCP review by Rajesh K.
Rajesh K.

"WinSCP Review"

What do you like best?

Easy workflow. I find it more organized than other FTP programs like Filezilla.

What do you dislike?

It feels like the update prompts come up very other day even if I select that I'm not interested in downloading at the moment. Usually I'm using it during a rushed moment to transfer a file before an transfers to a vendor at the top of the hour,. I don't need an extra prompt everytime I log in when I trying to locate the file quickly.

FTP for our 3rd party vendor.

WinSCP review by Allison W.
Allison W.

"Great FTP client"

What do you like best?

This client is very streamlined and basic. It lets you do exactly what you need it to do, no more, no less.

What do you dislike?

The stored sites are all local, so must be re-created on new devices.

I am able to maintain websites using this tool.

WinSCP review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Writing and Editing
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Writing and Editing

"Reliable WinSCP"

What do you like best?

WinSCP is a solid, reliable product. I work on client site sometimes under extreme conditions and I can always rely on WinSCP to push or pull data when I need it.

What do you dislike?

I would like the ability to use WinSCP in the background while it is transmitting data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use the free version for FTP purposes and it is very reliable.

I transmit data through the pipeline. Data may be one text file or it may be gigs of data.

WinSCP review by Swati G.
Swati G.

"WinScp - great tool for scp, sftp, ftp"

What do you like best?

Fast, Portable and great GUI for Accessing files on Linux Platforms

What do you dislike?

No issues found with Winscp, great tool to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool to file access

Using for accessing files on linux platforms, software upgrades of linux boxes

WinSCP review by Mac G.
Mac G.

"Time saving and free"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. The ability to pre-configure different ftp sites and save shortcuts

What do you dislike?

Nothing, works effectively and no issues to report

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easier to use than ssh programs

Data transfer from Salesforce to epicor. Quick and easy.

WinSCP review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Winscp - Windows Secured Copy"

What do you like best?

Win scp is a free and reliable secured protocol app runs on windows operating system and manages the remote computer file system. Allows you to log in into SFTP and FTP and linux servers. Allows you to take out a terminal to run commands.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such. Onething which i observed is some times application will hang.

Application Deployment is very very easy and simple. Easy to check and search in GUI mode.

WinSCP review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Great tool for everyday use"

What do you like best?

Great tool. Like the speed, the look, the functionality. Possibility to be connected to multiple destinations at the same time, have the sessions stored, or to edit the file and automatically upload the changed file back to remote destination make it a must have tool. This was the most missed application when I switched to linux (and one of the reason I came back to windows)

What do you dislike?

Don't have anything, that I don't like about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have to try it out, work with it. Make some small configuration like changing your default editor and then just start using it...and you will love it.

Mostly website development, but also for files backup-ing, downloading recording of IP cameras from FTP server, ...

WinSCP review by Andrea M.
Andrea M.

"it is save time"

What do you like best?

the easy way to connect windows system to linux machines

What do you dislike?

maybe i would improve the folder organization

connect windows system to linux machines

WinSCP review by Ross G.
Ross G.

"The best SCP client for me!"

What do you like best?

with WinSCP, I can just drag and drop files to a remote machine/host whenever I want to make some changes. Also, WinSCP lets me edit text files, in that way I don't need to do it via command line.

What do you dislike?

It is very slow when uploading and downloading files!

Recommendations to others considering the product

WinSCP is free and better than filezilla!

Upload and download files to our web server

WinSCP review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Easy FTP file transferring software"

What do you like best?

WinSCP makes FTP file transferring very easy even to the newest of users.

What do you dislike?

In my use case, updates need to come by downloads and re-uploads, it will not auto download. Also the interface is lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy FTP file transferring making it a simple, go to software if you are in need of file transferring.

Easy FTP access and file transfer/sharing.

WinSCP review by Kushal R.
Kushal R.

"Unix system windows style"

What do you like best?

The easy to use user interface.You have all the options you need to work with your unix files.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat slow at times and some features can be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and you wont leave it.

Reduces the time and effort to input commands in unix console.

WinSCP review by Wayne B.
Wayne B.

"Nice App for SSH files to switches"

What do you like best?

Quick and easy to use when you are trying to get a file transferred over SSH. I use it mainly for transferring files to juniper switches.

What do you dislike?

Interface might be a little dated. Could use an update, but that is really a minor complaint.

We are able to send config and firmware files to our switches via SSH.

WinSCP review by Anshul C.
Anshul C.

"Better management of files between different OS"

What do you like best?

The fact that I can use it independently without opening any extra tab in the VM and copy data from one OS to another.

What do you dislike?

It's UI can be a bit more likeable if worked upon.

In my daily business needs I use this tool for betterment and utilizing my time efficiently.

WinSCP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"I use WinSCP weekly and it is critical for my job"

What do you like best?

I enjoy that I feel very secure using WinSCP and that it is easy to use and share data/files.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a little clunky, there are buttons everywhere and I feel it needs to be cleaned up to make it more user friendly

Recommendations to others considering the product

WinSCP is a great way to share all sizes of files safely with others

I share large files with jurisdictions and with WinSCP I know the data will be secure and that it can be shared safely.

WinSCP review by Kris M.
Kris M.

"Useful windows gui scp client."

What do you like best?

It has a simple easy to use interface for people who know what they're doing.

What do you dislike?

File transfers typically lock up your connection for the duration of use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using windows to administrate computers its pretty essential

Connecting to and manage a remote server.

WinSCP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"WinSCP - File Transfer Made Easy"

What do you like best?

WinSCP makes it very easy to access FTP servers. It even stores the login information. A wide range of FTP protocols are available on the platform

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the app abruptly shuts down without a reason.

Accessing various FTP servers

WinSCP review by Christian L.
Christian L.

"Probably the best S/FTP Client "

What do you like best?

multi protocol support, live preview, per session settings

What do you dislike?

the user interface ist horrendously ugly

Transferring files to remote servers via FTP, SFTP

WinSCP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy Navigation UI for Servers"

What do you like best?

Secured Accessing to the servers with userid/password or with public/private key authentication. Exporting the connections from one system to other.

What do you dislike?

Restricted Accessing modes will not allow to convert to super user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for easy navigation without remembering commands what we need for command prompt.

Benefits like. side by side accessing of local to server easy accessing of any files.

WinSCP review by User

"File sharing expert program"

What do you like best?

I like how easy to use this program is.

What do you dislike?

In other applications it might be easy to get lost in your own files

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s easy and effective

We download our customers orders with it

"Review WinSCP"

What do you like best?

No need to write commands as we do in other software such as putty

What do you dislike?

Limited functionalities of copying and moving files.

Moving and copying files from one server to another

WinSCP review by Manibhushana Rao G.
Manibhushana Rao G.

"Winscp - FTP tool"

What do you like best?

Good tool for FTP for Unix servers and very easy to use

What do you dislike?

Compatibility with the files and accessing logs is bit tedious

Reduced the time in ftp

WinSCP review by Administrator in Broadcast Media
Administrator in Broadcast Media

"Review of WinSCP"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily alter HTML code and make quick changes to wesbsites

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes difficult to find the exact items that I'm looking for. Occasionally, I have to enter the HTML changes twice.

Altering web pages. I am still learning this software but will be using it a lot more frequently in the coming year.

"Evaluate on WinSCP"

What do you like best?

- Lightweight and easy to use

- Regularly update the new version

What do you dislike?

- Sometimes lag and stuck

- Edit function is limited

A software to transfer code to the server

WinSCP review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Good for Sharing Files"

What do you like best?

It is quite fast to download and upload files.

What do you dislike?

Should produce an online version and limit extensive login procedures.

Sharing files between us and our field suppliers

WinSCP review by User in Financial Services

"Best tool in the market to connct to internal and external servers."

What do you like best?

The ease of transferring the files from our local drive to external server and vice versa.

What do you dislike?

The progress of copying the data in the background is slow , may be due to the bandwidth.

We often need to get the month end files for review and and can be easily downloaded from the external servers in the cloud.

WinSCP review by User in Music
User in Music

"Upload files via ftp"

What do you like best?

I am able to quickly ftp files and save bookmarks

What do you dislike?

It seems very basic and would prefer to have an upload complete popup go through so that it is clearer that it was successful

We are able to integrate this with other software in order to upload various rate tables for different criteria and reports

WinSCP review by User

"Works great but some UI bugs need to be sorted out"

What do you like best?

Works great for transferring files via FTP or SFTP, and is free.

What do you dislike?

Not much... but when I leave a session open and leave, the UI will be frozen since there is a pop-up about being disconnected that I can't bring back to front using Alt + F4.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use both FileZilla and WinSCP depending on the host. Both have pros and cons.

File transfer via FTP

"Easy File Transfer"

What do you like best?

Convenient file transfers between windows and remote hosts, drag-and-drop file transfers, simple interface.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to navigate the directories, search functionality doesn't work well.

I use WinSCP to solve the problem of file transfer and synchronization. I realized fast and efficient file management and sharing across multiple host machines.

WinSCP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Perfect tool for connecting two servers."

What do you like best?

The ease of the setup of te applicationand moving and browsing through the folders is something that is very easy.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints about this application.

It helps me to copy the backup files from Essbase to my system for analysis of data.

WinSCP review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"easy to transfer files "

What do you like best?

Interface is clean and easy to operate from different locations.

What do you dislike?

When open the location of files, the path need to match exactly, not intelligent enough.

Transfer files from different folders easily.

WinSCP review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"WinSCB user review"

What do you like best?

The ability to navigate windows and sas server locations in one window

What do you dislike?

There are a bit too many functions that aren’t very useful.

Advanced analysis on profitability for small business insurance.

WinSCP review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"WinSCP"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Regular updates, Clean interface of the software

What do you dislike?

Setting up a new connection with extra parameters is confusing.

Upload and Download files from shared server

WinSCP review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"SSH connections are easy with WinSCP"

What do you like best?

Easy to use small compact application. Easy to transfer to other computers

What do you dislike?

Interface is simple not very GUIfied but it still works great

SFTP connections

Learning about WinSCP?

* We monitor all WinSCP reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.