Wireshark

4.7

Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer.

Work for Wireshark?

Learning about Wireshark?

Wireshark Reviews

Showing 57 Wireshark reviews
Wireshark review by Brandon M.
Brandon M.

"A valuable tool for anyone working with networks"

What do you like best?

Wireshark does an amazing job at breaking down packets. The best part is the capability to filter the live packet capture. There are a lot of very detailed filters you can use.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you don't need to use this product for professional use, I highly recommend trying it out on your home network or in an educational setting. It is useful as a great learning tool for anyone interested in the field.

In school to identify particular problems and also to identify if any unauthorized access is on my network. I have used Wireshark to troubleshoot simple to complex issues. Some of the benefits are the capability to filter live packet captures, save and review old packet captures, and run the program without admin rights. This is just a few benefits of the many this program has.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Wireshark
Wireshark review by Alex R.
Alex R.

"A must have for anyone in the networking field."

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

There has been a known issue that Wireshark will not always see your network adapters upon first running, but this is resolved with running it in administrator mode at least once. However it is not recommending to always run Wireshark as administrator. Also, it would be nice for further troubleshooting on a network to be able to sniff HTTPS traffic, but for obvious reasons this is not exactly a bad thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you don't need to use this product for professional use, I highly recommend trying it out on your home network. It is also useful as a great learning tool for anyone interested in the field.

I work as a Network Administrator so I use this tool on a near daily basis. I have used Wireshark to troubleshoot simple to complex issues. Some of the benefits are the capability to filter live packet captures, save and review old packet captures, and run the program without admin rights. This is just a few benefits of the many this program has.

What Network Monitoring solution do you use?

Wireshark review by Philip N.
Philip N.

"No other LAN scanning tool works as good"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Having network issues relating to IP conflicts or maybe an entire network IP range isn't working? Wireshark makes it easy to diagnose and logically see what is connected to your network infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

I have always had an issue running updates straight from the software. My solution is that I just download the newest version from the website when my software tells me there is an update.

Building network infrastructures as prisons across our state while verifying we are not overlapping IP ranges already in place. Also verifying that there are no unauthorized devices connecting to our networks for intrusion or malicious activity

Wireshark review by Tom B.
Tom B.

"Best packet analyzer"

What do you like best?

The filter and capture feature- which is amazing in a way. I can actually filter out the protocols I am trying look for,

What do you dislike?

the wifi capture- this is kind of a feature that does not capture the whole thing. It is kind of lame sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth using wireshark if you are looking to trouble shoot network related issues, or just looking to monitor the network, or working on a simple project to check network traffic flow.

Wireshark is a tool designed for anyone needing to monitor their network for security or performance issues. Wireshark will meet the needs of the single-home user all the way up to the enterprise-level user. And because Wireshark can read captured information from applications like Snoop, Sniffer, and Microsoft Network Monitor, it can also serve as an additional tool for network analysis.

Troubleshooting network connectivity, tracing for intrusion. managing incoming packets.

Wireshark review by Bruce C.
Bruce C.

"Ethernet debug made comprehensive"

What do you like best?

Wireshark handles all the Ethernet problems I encounter in the field. Even better, most technicians I work with know how to capture sessions and can send them to me for diagnosis without travel.

What do you dislike?

It is a steep learning curve. Most people do not know how to create analysis scripts to break data down into detailed information for custom sub-protocols and profiles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your need is troubleshooting Ethernet networks and interactions between devices and servers, this is the tool you have to have. Spend the time learning to use it well, and you will save much more time in the critical analysis when the pressure is on.

Wireshark is the only tool that gets me the information I need to solve customer problems. It is vitally important for troubleshooting large complex industrial Ethernet networks with many devices.

Wireshark review by Harmit S.
Harmit S.

"Best tool for analysing data packets"

What do you like best?

It is a network packet analyser. It is very simple to use. You just need to open the TCP data packets dump file captured for your transactional traffic with wireshark or drag-drop the dump file to it. It shows exactly the data in bytes what was transferred and what would be sent/received at the other side of the spectrum.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't has any feature to detect intrusion. It will not warn if something strange is happening on your network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is one of the best open source software for analyse network packet data. It is very easy to use and understandable.

It is a measuring device to examine what is going on inside the network cable. In the past, such tools have been either very expensive or proprietary or both. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analysers.

Wireshark review by Ahmed G.
Ahmed G.

"Wireshark Technical Review"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is one of my favorite tools to analyse traffic and trace network, it save me lot of effort writing down my own parsers for dumpcap. I love the UI it is very helpful, the color coding, ability to filter streams, fetch the TCP packets and check content, dump it for later use. I use almost all these feature to trace and debug my application on low level networking that is almost impossible with my web browser.

What do you dislike?

However Wireshark is this useful, I have spent long time to learn and discover it, this is something I hated in the start, also sometimes I get stucked in the application trying to do some task that and it become very hard that at the I end I prefer to do it manually, this is not too often however, I thing if wireshark allows scripting this will be nice feature up there, and it will be my very favorite networking application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is your supporter in network tracing, this means you do need to know network before as it never assume you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with it unless you know what you do, or you decided to take the risk.

I use wireshark in tracing my network in case I'm working with socket inside my web application, it is easy to monitor network and dump capture files with it than using the CLI application that maybe not this usable.

Wireshark review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"The only well-recommended network sniffing tool"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is super granular. If you have something over your network to debug/uncover, this program will find it. It is SUPER detailed, catches everything, and can dump the data live - and it's a ton of data. It basically leaves no stone unturned - I've used it both at home and at work and it's always thorough. It'll paint a clear picture of what's happening on a network and you can create whatever test environment (or go on location), switch it on, and get your data.

What do you dislike?

When I say thorough, I mean it. Wireshark does not do a great job of helping you find exactly what you're looking for. It dumps raw data into HUGE files that you need to look for. If you don't have a knowledge of networking it really won't help with much, because you need a hypothesis to validate or a pattern you're looking for, otherwise it's just going to look like a lot of lines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best for what it does, just know that it won't solve your problems for you. It's for people who understand networks and know what they're looking for. If you don't have that background, borrow someone who does for a day and they can get to the bottom of things.

Our company streams video wirelessly over local networks (PC to TV) so network problems plague us. We use Wireshark to see what effects different network conditions have on our streams and to find the physical limitations to different setups. We can take our computer to noisy networks, apartments with high interference from nearby routers, locations where walls block signal, etc. and see what's happening on the packet level. The results let us implement changes in code that fix problems or at least advise users on ways to fix their network setup if a problem is encountered. This saves us a ton of time and money on support tickets.

Wireshark review by Jason G.
Jason G.

"Wireshark is the best, free software in analyzing packets"

What do you like best?

Wireshark helps me troubleshoot more advance network issues whether voice or data. It can analyze what's happening on each packet as it traverse through out the network. Also it has the feature to convert hex dump codes to pcap without needing any third party application. I usually use that when I am analyzing packets from cisco switches. With the benefits I have stated above, Wireshark is free which is the best!

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I can dislike to a free software that saves my ass everyday in every issues escalated to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is free!

Advance voice and data issues for both our external and internal network

Wireshark review by Kajin K.
Kajin K.

"Very effective tool for monitoring network packets!!"

What do you like best?

Wireshark traces each and every network packet going from/coming to your machine. We normally use Wireshark to track our company proprietary protocol packets while working with our application. It not only tracks the packets but also, one can explore individual packets to see what data is being sent/received!

What do you dislike?

Only one point which I dislike about Wireshark is that, it takes lot of effort to integrate it with your own application. For Example, if you want to read the Wireshark files (.pcapng) from your application and read the data from the packets, its a bit of overhead.

Otherwise as a standalone application, nothing can beat Wireshark.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If one is looking for a network packet analyzer which can help you track and analyze the individual packets being sent on the network, Wireshark is definitely the best choice!

In our project, we use Wireshark to track our company propriatary protocol packets being sent from our application on the network. Wireshark logs the packets and that helps us to analyze the individual packets in detail. It helps to debug some issues by verifying what data is exactly going and where the problem lies.

Wireshark review by Richard R.
Richard R.

"The go-to for network scanning in any network environment!"

What do you like best?

Wireshark offers a thorough scan of all packet traffic on our installed network which is essential in troubleshooting the wide array of network issues that may arise.

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes of this product at this time. It does the job I expect it to do and without issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best, most complete solution for tracking your Ethernet network health.

As our business moves forward with streaming technology and more network-enabled devices, it is essential to get a detailed look at the health of the networks our equipment gets installed on so we may have a better understanding of what might be causing conflict between networked devices.

Wireshark review by Megha G.
Megha G.

"Must to learn for all network analysts"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is a must learn tool for all network analyst. Unlike other network traffic capture tools such as, Firebug, and Fiddler, wireshark provides many additional and interesting things. Wireshark helps in capturing any kind of a network packet. It can capture packet details below TCP/IP. It does have filters to reduce the noise it captures. The benefit of WireShark is that it could possibly show you errors in levels below the HTTP protocol. Fiddler will show you errors in the HTTP protocol. Also, its free and open source.

What do you dislike?

Overall wireshark is pretty useful tool, but sometimes the UI becomes non-responsive and you have to restart it again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would certainly recommend WireShark as network analyzer tool. It makes things simple and easy.

Using it to analyze the network traffic.

Wireshark review by Consultant

"The most complete capture and analysis tool"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is a protocol analyzer used to perform analysis and solve problems in communications networks, for software development and protocols, and as a teaching tool.

The functionality it provides is similar to that of tcpdump, but it adds a graphical interface and many options for organizing and filtering information. Thus, it allows to see all the traffic that passes through a network (usually an Ethernet network, although it is compatible with some others) setting the configuration in promiscuous mode. It also includes a text-based version called tshark.

Allows you to examine data from a live network or from a capture file saved on disk. You can analyze the information captured, through the details and summaries for each package. Wireshark includes a complete language to filter what we want to see and the ability to show the reconstructed flow of a TCP session.

Wireshark is free software, and runs on most Unix and compatible operating systems, including Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Android, and Mac OS X, as well as Microsoft Windows.

What do you dislike?

If something is missing, it is a functional version for Android and IOS systems. Nowadays it is a widely extended environment and there are no tools powerful enough to do what Wireshark does in Android / IOS systems

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is recommended in many ways:

- Free distribution (GPL license)

- Multiplatform (more than 20 platforms)

- In constant evolution

- Practically the standard in protocol analysis tools.

- You can capture data from the network or read data stored in a file (from a previous capture).

- It has a very flexible interface.

- Great filtering capacity.

- Supports the standard format of tcpdump files.

- Reconstruction of TCP sessions

- It is compatible with more than 480 protocols.

I work with wireshark every day. For my team and for me it is an essential tool, since it allows us to characterize and analyze the behavior of the services we test.

We usually use it to detect problems due to poor implementation of communication protocols by applications.

Wireshark review by Rohit S.
Rohit S.

"Wireshark - the ultimate packet analyzer"

What do you like best?

Wireshark helps best when it comes to troubleshooting network issues, packet related issues, SSL related issues. It helps in giving complete detail of the packet and great tools like graphs, conversations, streams to know what is going on in a tcp/udp communication

What do you dislike?

I didnt face any issues with wireshark so far

Recommendations to others considering the product

great tool for troubleshooting

Wireshark is my life, we use it daily for any network, packet related issues, Its lifeline for a IT troubleshooter support person like me, we are using it for our daily support cases

Wireshark review by Milad N.
Milad N.

"The best network trace analysis "

What do you like best?

It is easy to use, it have most of protocol and it can identify protocols really good in most cases. it is one of the main tools in my work. it has good support for new protocols. the protocol field extraction is great and help me a lot in my work. the best thing is this software is free and I can use it.!

What do you dislike?

some times it cannot find the protocols mostly in webRTC and other tunneling applications. One of my problem is that its compatibility with mac OS. it takes lots of time to load. And also it would be great if it can have better performance. its GUI also makes some problems some times, eve in linux. just as a suggestion it would be great if the software has more analytic tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

one of the best network trace tools

I am a security and network researcher and I use it mostly on research problems. I use it to see how different protocols behave. In particular, I study the how worm and viruses behave in network.

Wireshark review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"Awesome Packet Analyzer tool"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is one of the most popular packet analyzer tool used widely in networking companies to capture

and analyze packets

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike, this free software is so usefull that most of the networking companies use this on day to day basis

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is the most popular packet analyzer tool used in most companies today and also for network administrators. It can be installed on most common operating systems like Windows, MacOS, Linux, BSD etc. Its an free software and easy to install and use even for beginners. So many companies have compiled their interface ports so that it can be used for proprietary related works. Also once we capture the packets using Wireshark, we can create our own filters to do deep insight of related interested packets like eth.addr, dnsserver,gre,ntp,ftp etc. Also it has many Capture interfaces options like Bluetooth Network Connection, Local Area Connection (LAN), Wireless Network Connection. Also we can export the captured packets to our external machine and server. Also another helpful feature is we can directly to first packet, last packet, next packet, previous packet etc which is very usefull when we go directly go to any specified packet. We also have the option to save the captured packets as either pcap-ng or pcap. Also we have the option to automatically scroll to the last packet during live capture which is very usefull when are capturing the packets and want to analyze the last packets as we capture them in live. Also we can select a particular packet and either mark/unmark the packet. Overall I recommend others to try using Wireshark !!

We use Wireshark in capturing packets over the air, or wired capture from Access point. This tool is easy to use, helpful in analyzing the packets, on how networking things work in real life etc

Wireshark review by Dan O.
Dan O.

"Identify How Things Are Done "

What do you like best?

It's a fantastic solution to learn about how other websites are making things work, seeing what happens behind the scenes at a technical level.

It's a great packet analyser and can help identify network problems as well as assist with protocol development.

What do you dislike?

It has problems on some operating systems and computer setups. It's fiddly and there is a steep learning curve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an extremely fiddling piece of software, I strongly recommend that you consider contracting an expert if you struggle with meeting your objectives.

I needed to understand how a competitor was achieving their live streaming. It meant that I was able to engage with the vendor and also identify competitive offerings.

Wireshark review by Song F.
Song F.

"Wireshark is quite helpful to understand deeply network protocols of each layers. "

What do you like best?

1. The interface is basically user-friendly, it demonstrates the packet content based on each layer, you can choose whether to show the information of a certain layer or not. 2. The filter function is good, which enables me to see what I want to focus on, avoiding so many unrelated streams. 3. Meanwhile, following TCP stream is powerful. The statistics result is useful and makes the software easy to use. 4. Anyway, you can find a lot with Wireshark, but be sure you must use it legally.

What do you dislike?

Some small things: 1. I cannot directly copy what I want from the main windows except using right click, which will give me a whole line information instead of just source or destination information; 2. Each protocol information display can be optimized, is that possible to show it with a figure (The current layout is also good, I just curious whether the figure method is better).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is a free and basically easy network analysis tool. With it, you can know how network packets are encapsulated, how the packets are delivered between the source and the destination, and how network protocols work (e.g., three shake hand TCP protocol). Not just helpful, It is also fun, you can sniff and find which websites others are browsing (hah, be sure you do it legally).

I use it for cybersecurity study and research. It helps me understand protocols (e.g., ARP, TCP/UDP, DNS, etc.), network organizations deeply.

Wireshark review by Shiva S.
Shiva S.

"Wireshark - The Open Source Network Analyser"

What do you like best?

- It is Free, Open Source and must learn for Network Analysts.

- standard tool used for network troubleshooting, optimization and security.

- relatively easy compared to other analyser (TCP/IP network analysis, NETSTAT, tcpdump).

- It is compatible and available on all platforms (LINUX, Debian, Windows, Solaris, BSD, OS X).

- Available as both Terminal (Wireshark) and non-Terminal (Tshark) based software.

- Filtering Protocols, locating bandwidth issues are easy and solvable.

- network problems with the packets transmission are readily identified and can be solved before the users do.

- The Best Network Sniffing tool, More you use, More you explore.

What do you dislike?

- If you have no knowledge about networks, then its very difficult to understand what is happening.

- The User Interface is very geeky, Lot of terminologies we should memorize before we start actually using it.

- If we are searching for a particular pattern or interface, we can deal with Wireshark easily. Otherwise it just a list of random lines with a load of information in each line.

- The update requires configuration of many files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Free, real, stable, open source and able to identify the issues before the use does are sufficient to say wireshark is the best network sniffing tool.

- If you are a novice programmer and interested in network engineering, Wireshark is a kick start.

- Being a Computer Science student, I start using this product as my new learning tool. Later on I used this tool for many of my network experiments, projects and internship work.

- Benefits : Free, Opensource, Best Wireshark Community support, Easy to understand what is really happening around your network.

Wireshark review by Kiran K.
Kiran K.

"A best tool to for network learners"

What do you like best?

This tool can be used to analyze packet transmission. It is free to use and it is relatively easy to use with some practice and reading through the user's guide. It can be used in different OS platforms like Windows, Mac, Ubuntu etc. A live data can be captured from different network interfaces and types. Filtering of packages is available. And also we can perform VoIP analysis.

What do you dislike?

Overall am satisfied with the product. Even interface can be modified better. Difficult for the beginners to operate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best and powerful tool for network engineers. Go for it and experience the beauty of this product. You can learn most of the stuff from this. I didn't find any other tool which is better than this.

I am a computer science student and i frequently uses wireshark for various experiments. Even we used it in our projects to trace packet behavior. And also for learning purpose.

Wireshark review by Gabriel F.
Gabriel F.

"A must-have tool for any networks engineer."

What do you like best?

Wireshark is an amazing tool when it comes to managing a network. It captures packets in real time, allowing you to deeply study the inner workings of the network you're connected to and the causes to some problems that may persist.

A wireshark probe can be placed in any interface, both ethernet or wifi, allowing packet control in any kind of computer networks interfaces. It even supports other kinds of packets such as VoIP.

Wireshark can capture packets over different layers of the OSI model.

Also, wireshark works great with virtual computer networks.

What do you dislike?

I find wireshark a very complete application. Overall, I don't dislike anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you do a comprehensive study of the internet, its inner workings and protocols before trying to use wireshark, since it presupposes that you have said knowledge.

I use wireshark in an academic context, while performing different networking experiments in my university's telecommunications lab.

Wireshark review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"Great product"

What do you like best?

It does everything it says it does and it is very easy to use. I love the support documentation for the product as it is very easy to read and find what you need. It solved some of the issues I had for the product. I also liked how it was supported for both Linux based operating systems and windows systems.

It was very easy to learn and definitely monitored every kilobyte of traffic that went through my device(s).

What do you dislike?

One main thing I disliked was that after I installed it I had to configure my network and permission settings on Ubuntu before it recognized the various pre-configured networks on my device, whereas on Windows I just had to run it as administrator.

Also the software caused my Linux system to crash, but that may have been a hardware issue along with the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool if you work with any type of networking systems or if you need to monitor packets, capture packets and analyze traffic. It is free and easy to use, with almost no prior experience required. There are lots of help and documentation online if you ever get stuck.

I was working as a Systems QA Engineer at Bluecoat Systems. Our product analyzed traffic and modified traffic to the user's liking and to prevent hacks/viruses to get through the systems we had in place. With Wireshark I was able to detect if the change were being made properly by monitoring the traffic before it reached our system and monitoring the traffic after the traffic has passed through our system.

Wireshark review by Tomin K.
Tomin K.

"Powerful tool for packet sniffing"

What do you like best?

Full of features, responsive interface, easy to install. No additional setup once installed, just start sniffing and go.

What do you dislike?

Interface is not always easiest to use or find specific features/function. Looks like it is made for power users and not attractive to new users trying to learn about packet sniffing. Would like to see ability to build GET/POST calls with a simpler and more friendly interface such as Postman. Had to run wizard again in order to apply update. Postman is a webapp so it does not require me to stop everything to install an update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it more user friendly. Icons are unintuitive without the necessary text to understand what the icons do.

Packet sniffing to capture calls made to external APIs. Mostly used for testing and diagnosing bugs.

Wireshark review by Liz B.
Liz B.

"Useful to analyze and troubleshoot network issues"

What do you like best?

Easy to record and view network activity and use that to understand issues. I have used it multiple times to resolve problems with my firewall.

What do you dislike?

It takes a little learning curve to figure out how to use it. My IT dept set it up and showed me how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have someone show you how to use it as it's not as intuitive as other products.

I had issues with my firewall blocking a connection to the web. I was able to use Wireshark to record this connection attempt and identify what address was causing the issue.

Wireshark review by User

"Best tool of its kind"

What do you like best?

It has pretty much every feature I've needed somewhere in there. Apart from capturing packets you can also open previously saved files (e.g. .pcap files saved with tcpdump) which is pretty useful because it means you don't need to have wireshark on every node you want to do the packet capturing on.

The filters, coloring features and the protocol dissectors make it really easy to do quick visual trace analyzing but it also has tons of other analyzing features for different protocols.

Not saying it's perfect but I don't think there's currently any better software for the task.

What do you dislike?

The GUI isn't really fancy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, it's written with GTK which makes it kind of troublesome on platforms other than Linux, such as OSX. I do have some problems some times with the GUI (in OSX), like scrolling too far and being able to stop the scrolling until its finished.

Also, it would have been great if writing custom dissectors would have been a little easier, though its not something your going to do everyday.

I'm doing network and security related research. Everything I do with wireshark could be done without it I guess, by doing a little coding and without any GUI, but wireshark speeds up the process by a great deal.

Wireshark review by User in Computer Software

"Wireshark, step 1 in network troubleshooting"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is able to see all of the network packets that are being transferred across whatever NIC that is specified or multiple NICs.

I also like the fact that you are able to fire up wireshark and almost immediately start a trace as all of the NICs are displayed on the home menu.

I love that there is a large knowledge base and plenty of resources online to help with wireshark analysis of recordings. The community is also great and willing to help with any questions.

What do you dislike?

Wireshark can be quite cryptic if you are not familiar with basic networking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a free networking analysis utility that does a very good job of at its job. It can monitor the deepest layers of the network and is great for troubleshooting any issues.

Wireshark has helped us track down packet loss issues on our network and when our VPN has lost connection.

Wireshark review by Paul W.
Paul W.

"For tracking down those pesky error codes"

What do you like best?

WireShark is an intuitive, in-depth tool that provides a great deal of network information. When facing difficulties with permissions, packet loss, or network traffic in general, wire shark is our go-to tool for investigating issues.

What do you dislike?

If you are new to the product, it's very in-depth and can be a bit of a cluster to deep dive into troubleshooting. They've tried to simplify the interface as much as possible, however, the information returned requires a great deal of network infrastructure knowledge to track down the issue at hand.

We use this product to identify security permission issues that may be blocking web requests in customer environments. It's difficult to say, "you have security issues". With WireShark, we are able to identify the error code and typically diagnose when no other options are available.

Wireshark review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Know what is happening on your network"

What do you like best?

Wireshark's very complex interface gives you insight to things you may not even perceive as potential issues for your network.

What do you dislike?

I feel like there needs to be more tutorials on how the program works. I spend a lot of time googling how do do things.

Like going to the doctor, sometimes you need a second opinion on something and that is what I mainly use it for.

Wireshark review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"Goto packet capture utility for network engineers"

What do you like best?

- Ability to add filters

- Deep inspection of the packets

- Ability to add interfaces for capture

- Loading and saving the packet captures.

What do you dislike?

- Filters could have been made more easy.

- Learning curve to install/capture using filters

- Search based on extensive packet fields.

I am a network engineer and I use wireshark to analyze the network traffic.

Wireshark review by Javier O.
Javier O.

"I used wireshark for a computer networking class."

What do you like best?

The feature I liked the best was the ability to visually interpret network connections.

What do you dislike?

Without the guidance of the textbook and professor, the information was hard to interpret.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One major recommendation is to follow along tutorials found elsewhere to get an understanding of how to maneuver the software. Another recommendation would be to read through the new user guide included in the installation.

Business problems we were solving include, checking different types of connections and interpreting individual nodes.

Wireshark review by Johnny L.
Johnny L.

"Can't get any better"

What do you like best?

Extremely detailed outputs when tracing and sniffing network details.

What do you dislike?

Might be a little bit complicated to get a hang of using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to dig deeper into your networking issues, Wireshark is a fantastic program to see what's going on at a packet level, providing the user detailed information to evaluate and fix their issues.

Wireshark helps us troubleshoot networking issues at a lower level.

Wireshark review by Eric I.
Eric I.

"Great Tool for in-depth troubleshooting. "

What do you like best?

The amount of detail, and information gathered in this packet analyzer, will provide the user with best analysis allowing that user to determine root-cause for issues, areas that need improvements or even provide evidence of an unknown issue.

What do you dislike?

The biggest common problem with the tool is the learning curve, with all the options, buttons and settings its easy to get lost in the tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have it approved by security first before using. :)

Wireshark has been a great t/s tool for us, recently used for determining and analyzing issues with communications with backup products. As with backups products there are many connections to multiple hosts at once, narrowing down point of failure is easy with wireshark.

Wireshark review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent tool for network capture"

What do you like best?

This is the best tool available for network capturing. We have used this to pinpoint network failures on our server environments due to a variety of issues such as proxy or load balancers configured incorrectly, missing authentication, and firewall settings.

What do you dislike?

It definitely has a learning curve. At first, I was overwhelmed by the amount of information that was provided. Once I learned to apply the correct filters however, you are able to pinpoint only the information that you need. There is a large user base so there are tons of resources available online to take advantage of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't allow yourself to be overwhelmed by the large amount of information and options available. Take advantage of the resources online (Google) to find what you need.

We use Wireshark to help troubleshooting network-related issues on our server environments. It has allowed us to resolve issues that would have otherwise required a senior level network engineer/specialist to debug.

Wireshark review by chedi t.
chedi t.

"wireshark review"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is arguably the best opensource network traffic sniffing and analysis tool in my opinion. The number of protocols supported and the scripting support with Lua make very extensible. Not only you can filter packets on the fly, but you can save the capture result and post process them afterward.

What do you dislike?

I really tried hard to find something to dislike about wireshark but clearly find none.

Recommendations to others considering the product

simply put wireshark is one of the tools that you must have in your toolbox when it come to network traffic analysis.

Mainly analyzing the traffic from and into out from various applications and services that we are reverse engineering.

Wireshark review by User in Computer Software

"The BEST Network Analysis Tool"

What do you like best?

This is free, open-source software that is also rock solid. It is basically the industry standard application for analyzing network traffic. It is fairly easy to use since it also has a very fantastic front end GUI. Being open-source means it is also cross platform (I've used it both on OSX and Windows but there are also builds for Unix based operating systems).

What do you dislike?

Wireshark meets all of my needs from a network analysis tool so there is nothing I dislike about this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time investigating what all Wireshark has to offer and can do. It is a very extensive tool that can do a lot, so it can be a bit overwhelming at times. Luckily, there is a lot of community support out there especially since it's an open source piece of software.

It has allowed me to sniff out and analyze traffic on a local network. Specifically, this has allowed me to debug older applications (specifically, older web services that I no longer have the source code for). This has allowed my team to understand how to interact with existing, legacy web services.

Wireshark review by Jeremy M.
Jeremy M.

"Invaluable for network administration"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the price - FREE

You can't beat what this product offers for free. It's cross-platform, so it doesn't matter which OS you're using to troubleshoot.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be a little more intuitive. I don't like scanning through the files that it generates but that's unavoidable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's best if you already have prior networking knowledge before you use wireshark or you may as well be learning a new language. This product can do a lot for you but only if you know what you're looking and looking for.

Business network monitoring and troubleshooting.

Wireshark review by Swati G.
Swati G.

"Wireshark - the troubleshooter"

What do you like best?

Packet Analysis, Graphs, Conversation Views, TCP, HTTP, SSL streams, give great insight into the packet captures

What do you dislike?

it crashes with heavy files , also keeps on giving popup to install latest version

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great troubleshooting tool, must use in network

We use wireshark to do packet analysis for any issues related to network and analyze packet captures

Wireshark review by Sunil W.
Sunil W.

"Pretty much the only product on the market for it's use-case."

What do you like best?

It's free and easy to install across linux systems. It makes use of common, mature libraries, and it's great for helping system administrators learn about network protocols and their own network.

What do you dislike?

Wireshark can be a little intimidating to first-time users without advanced network knowledge. Especially when looking at the wireshark UI for the first time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's pretty much the best product for inspecting traffic on linux systems where you have access to a windowing system.

I'm using it for debugging http while doing web development. And also for learning about network protocols. The benefits are purely in self-teaching/learning.

Wireshark review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Wireshark is awesome"

What do you like best?

Awesome for analysis of packet captures

Love the protocol recognition

SIP/VoIP Call sequencing diagram is very useful

What do you dislike?

Don't have a native app for Mac OS, which requires launching via xQuartz

A native app would be a worthwhile investment for the developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not aware of any Wireshark competitors but I think Wireshark should have everything you need for professional packet capture analysis.

I use WIreshark when debugging SIP/voice related issues

Wireshark review by Nikolaos K.
Nikolaos K.

"Reliable, simple to use. It makes tasks to be done with ease."

What do you like best?

Monitoring the quality of my internet signal. While building a raspberry pi application I used wireshark to evaluate the signal, improve it and optimize it. Properly placed, a good sniffer can provide reams of data invaluable for network troubleshooting and monitoring.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing negative about it, from my point of view. As I might not have used it in a way to would frustrate me.

I made a rasberry pi application and need wireshark to optimze my connection of it, as I needed a stable connection between my device and any other devises.

Wireshark review by James K.
James K.

"Great Network Analyzer"

What do you like best?

I use this tool any time I have a fairly advanced network issue that requires a grab of network traffic. For example, if I need to hunt down a MAC address because there's excessive broadcasting, this is my go-to tool.

What do you dislike?

The UI has a bit of a learning curve. This is common to tools of this type. It takes a bit of time to master. It's an expert's tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a network packet analyzer, this is the one to use. I have no further recommendations.

Assisting a business in finding a culprit system on a network when there's not much to go off. Usually these problems circle around excessive network traffic or security breaches.

Wireshark review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"Wireshark for network checking"

What do you like best?

It shows everything, it is really fast, it monitors everything.

What do you dislike?

If you are not a power user, linux admin or hex reader it's a bit tough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it, use it. Read the documents as it's a bit obtuse to use the interface.

Figuring out what is running on a machine and what port and what protocol and what is going on.

It works perfect for that and security scans.

Wireshark review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great software for network analysis"

What do you like best?

It is a great protocol analyzer and packet sniffer.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to parse and filter data without working with Wireshark for a while.

The amount of data can be overwhelming for first time users.

We have had difficulties getting it to run properly with MacOS

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good tool

I am using to sniff the packets that I capture while working on the network traffic

Wireshark review by sneha r.
sneha r.

"Amazing Experience"

What do you like best?

I am using this software as an assignment in my class. I am able to track the segments, observe and easy to use. Recommended to all my friends to use this.

What do you dislike?

Wireshark is isn't something which we can dislike. This is very cool software. Happy to use this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is powerful too and easy for beginners

This is a software where I am supposed to use it in my lab

Wireshark review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"WireShark for SOAP log monitoring"

What do you like best?

ease of use, The tool comes in handy while analyzing the tcp dump of large Payloads, both on staging and in production system.

What do you dislike?

can be integrated with other softwares for log capture

bugs in payload/SOAP responses.

Wireshark review by Matthew C.
Matthew C.

"Awesome Tool"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is a great tool in finding problems in your network

What do you dislike?

I enjoy using all of wiresharks features

Less time troubleshooting

Wireshark review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Great, free product for network professionals"

What do you like best?

Easy to use filters and interface. Great detail into each layer of the OSI model and packet.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I love this product and it is pretty damn near perfect.

I resolved a broadcast storm in my network that would have been otherwise invisible.

Wireshark review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Powerful tool for analyzing network traffic"

What do you like best?

Easy to get started and see all the network traffic

What do you dislike?

You need to now what you're looking at and how to use the search functions to get the information you want

Analyzing network traffic at various layers of communication

Wireshark review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool for analyzing web traffic"

What do you like best?

Very easy tools to debug and visualize web performance. I like that it takes very little time to get up and running.

What do you dislike?

UI has gotten fairly complex, I would like to see a "beginners view" to help new users.

Helps quickly debug web perf issues, which are key to any SAAS product.

Wireshark review by User in Internet

"Great Tool For Understanding Low-level Network "

What do you like best?

The power of the tool- watch traffic, record the sample, and analyse it using various filters. One can go as deep (low-level) as necessary.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be more intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very powerful and does exactly what you need.

Mostly for debugging purposes and understanding network issues on a local network.

Wireshark review by Alex T.
Alex T.

"Wireshark network data analyzer"

What do you like best?

The amount of information available and all their tools around packet analyzing , filters to help pinpoint problems and find issues

What do you dislike?

There is a larger learning curve but once you get there it's a great tool. Interface can use an upgrade as it's a bit confusing to some , and perhaps a lite version for not so advanced uses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gives you more than you want but it's great, not for a novice in networking field.

Analyzing network traffic to troubleshoot problem items. Solved many problems using this tool that would never have been found.

Wireshark review by Internal Consultant in Tobacco
Internal Consultant in Tobacco

"Easy to install and use and great sniffing tool"

What do you like best?

Its an awesome tool used to sniff a lot of packets.

Very easy to install on any end machines and offers a variety of data on the packet captures

works with most of the tcp/ip suite protocols

a must tool for a network engineer

What do you dislike?

its a great tool, a more customization in grids can be done if possible.

packet capture

Wireshark review by Administrator in Utilities
Administrator in Utilities

"Gets the job done "

What do you like best?

It’s a no frills network monitoring software but for basic needs or smaller networks it works.

What do you dislike?

It’s not very customizable and isn’t very scalable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t use for enterprise systems but small networks will be fine.

Network monitoring

Wireshark review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"This is a must tool for every Network Engineer"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the price and the ability to filter your captures.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing not to like about this product

We use this to solve network issues.

Wireshark review by Consultant

"Great tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, had the chance to work with it during various projects

What do you dislike?

Not do easy to expose the data in a readble manner.

Network analyss

Wireshark review by Administrator

"Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

Great network scanner. What the pros use

What do you dislike?

would like a better cli interface. The GUI isn't useful for power users

troubleshooting

Wireshark review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Great for Troubleshooting"

What do you like best?

Wireshark is great for trouble shooting

What do you dislike?

It does not work well on a mac. THat is a downside

Troubleshoting

Learning about Wireshark?

* We monitor all Wireshark reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.