Wireshark

Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer.

Work for Wireshark?
Signalfx networkmonit  2x

Learning about Wireshark?

Wireshark Reviews

Showing 49 Wireshark reviews
Wireshark review by <span>Brandon M.</span>
Brandon M.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Wireshark does an amazing job at breaking down packets. The best part is the capability to filter the live packet capture. There are a lot of very detailed filters you can use.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you don't need to use this product for professional use, I highly recommend trying it out on your home network or in an educational setting. It is useful as a great learning tool for anyone interested in the field.

In school to identify particular problems and also to identify if any unauthorized access is on my network. I have used Wireshark to troubleshoot simple to complex issues. Some of the benefits are the capability to filter live packet captures, save and review old packet captures, and run the program without admin rights. This is just a few benefits of the many this program has.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Wireshark
Wireshark review by <span>Alex R.</span>
Alex R.
What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

There has been a known issue that Wireshark will not always see your network adapters upon first running, but this is resolved with running it in administrator mode at least once. However it is not recommending to always run Wireshark as administrator. Also, it would be nice for further troubleshooting on a network to be able to sniff HTTPS traffic, but for obvious reasons this is not exactly a bad thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you don't need to use this product for professional use, I highly recommend trying it out on your home network. It is also useful as a great learning tool for anyone interested in the field.

I work as a Network Administrator so I use this tool on a near daily basis. I have used Wireshark to troubleshoot simple to complex issues. Some of the benefits are the capability to filter live packet captures, save and review old packet captures, and run the program without admin rights. This is just a few benefits of the many this program has.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Network Monitoring solution do you use?

Wireshark review by <span>Ahmed G.</span>
Ahmed G.

Wireshark Technical Review

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Wireshark is one of my favorite tools to analyse traffic and trace network, it save me lot of effort writing down my own parsers for dumpcap. I love the UI it is very helpful, the color coding, ability to filter streams, fetch the TCP packets and check content, dump it for later use. I use almost all these feature to trace and debug my application on low level networking that is almost impossible with my web browser.

What do you dislike?

However Wireshark is this useful, I have spent long time to learn and discover it, this is something I hated in the start, also sometimes I get stucked in the application trying to do some task that and it become very hard that at the I end I prefer to do it manually, this is not too often however, I thing if wireshark allows scripting this will be nice feature up there, and it will be my very favorite networking application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is your supporter in network tracing, this means you do need to know network before as it never assume you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with it unless you know what you do, or you decided to take the risk.

I use wireshark in tracing my network in case I'm working with socket inside my web application, it is easy to monitor network and dump capture files with it than using the CLI application that maybe not this usable.

Wireshark review by <span>Matthew G.</span>
Matthew G.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Wireshark is super granular. If you have something over your network to debug/uncover, this program will find it. It is SUPER detailed, catches everything, and can dump the data live - and it's a ton of data. It basically leaves no stone unturned - I've used it both at home and at work and it's always thorough. It'll paint a clear picture of what's happening on a network and you can create whatever test environment (or go on location), switch it on, and get your data.

What do you dislike?

When I say thorough, I mean it. Wireshark does not do a great job of helping you find exactly what you're looking for. It dumps raw data into HUGE files that you need to look for. If you don't have a knowledge of networking it really won't help with much, because you need a hypothesis to validate or a pattern you're looking for, otherwise it's just going to look like a lot of lines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best for what it does, just know that it won't solve your problems for you. It's for people who understand networks and know what they're looking for. If you don't have that background, borrow someone who does for a day and they can get to the bottom of things.

Our company streams video wirelessly over local networks (PC to TV) so network problems plague us. We use Wireshark to see what effects different network conditions have on our streams and to find the physical limitations to different setups. We can take our computer to noisy networks, apartments with high interference from nearby routers, locations where walls block signal, etc. and see what's happening on the packet level. The results let us implement changes in code that fix problems or at least advise users on ways to fix their network setup if a problem is encountered. This saves us a ton of time and money on support tickets.

Wireshark review by <span>Jason G.</span>
Jason G.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Wireshark helps me troubleshoot more advance network issues whether voice or data. It can analyze what's happening on each packet as it traverse through out the network. Also it has the feature to convert hex dump codes to pcap without needing any third party application. I usually use that when I am analyzing packets from cisco switches. With the benefits I have stated above, Wireshark is free which is the best!

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I can dislike to a free software that saves my ass everyday in every issues escalated to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wireshark is free!

Advance voice and data issues for both our external and internal network

Wireshark review by <span>Kajin K.</span>
Kajin K.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Wireshark traces each and every network packet going from/coming to your machine. We normally use Wireshark to track our company proprietary protocol packets while working with our application. It not only tracks the packets but also, one can explore individual packets to see what data is being sent/received!

What do you dislike?

Only one point which I dislike about Wireshark is that, it takes lot of effort to integrate it with your own application. For Example, if you want to read the Wireshark files (.pcapng) from your application and read the data from the packets, its a bit of overhead.

Otherwise as a standalone application, nothing can beat Wireshark.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If one is looking for a network packet analyzer which can help you track and analyze the individual packets being sent on the network, Wireshark is definitely the best choice!

In our project, we use Wireshark to track our company propriatary protocol packets being sent from our application on the network. Wireshark logs the packets and that helps us to analyze the individual packets in detail. It helps to debug some issues by verifying what data is exactly going and where the problem lies.

Learning about Wireshark?

* We monitor all Wireshark reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.