WP Engine

Hassle-Free WordPress Hosting. WP Engine Offers the Best Fully-Managed WordPress Hosting Platform

Work for WP Engine?

Learning about WP Engine?

WP Engine Reviews

Ask WP Engine a Question
Showing 105 WP Engine reviews
WP Engine review by <span>Jared M.</span>
Jared M.

WP Engine has changed the way we do the web for our business and clients

What do you like best?

WP Engine is a great product for managing website consolidation, quick M&A turnaround and new properties that you need stood up quick. It also makes it seamless for internal and 3rd party development with good staging and production flows to roll things up and down as needed.

What do you dislike?

Most of the items I have had suggestions for improvement for over the past couple of years have been implemented on the administrative and support side, so no complaints here!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on how many properties you are going to manage investigate going dedicated vs. shared as there are benefits to both sides with the biggest consequence mainly being you will share resources with other shared tenants (and at times it could be not speedy). We elected to go dedicated and have never had a single problem with in 2.5+ years. Also, when pricing your enterprise tier do your homework on how many sites you need now and how many you will need so you do not overestimate your initial first year of your dedicated instance.

Reduced # of CMS to support, providing single pane of glass for managing and administering platform, delivering marketing faster time to market on website instance stand-up. Benefits are type 1 ROI on license savings from moving from other platforms and reduction in cycle time of time to market of delivering an available website for editing. Other benefits are providing great ease of use in WordPress and freeing up internal IT resources from day-to-day management of wordpress.org properties.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about WP Engine
WP Engine review by <span>doug l.</span>
doug l.

Poor customer service, Expensive: exceedingly poor value.

What do you like best?

The platform is easy to use. The salespeople trying to sell me their product were very polite, if not very knowledgable.

What do you dislike?

Support staff are arrogant, generally not knowledgeable, and have a tendency to rely on excuses and scapegoating.

Customer and/or tech support was never live. Instead, relying upon a ticket system and an antiquated back and forth email communication structure....is this 1996?

WP provide the kind of customer service that I've come to expect from shared hosting platforms that cost 10% what WP charges. Thus, the service is EXPENSIVE, and the value is poor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its expensive. The value is poor.

If you're really small, and price is no object, then fine.

If you want a good value, good customer service, and a no-excuses attitude about tech support, DON'T CHOOSE WP ENGINE.

Once upon a time, WP had a product that was unique. Now everybody offers the same product; most cheaper, most better. Better in terms of the value and the customer support, both of which are poor with WP.

WP technology is no longer novel, with alternatives currently available that exceed the offerings of WP Engine, with the added advantage of LIVE customer support.

With WP, tech support is no more than a few email exchanges and a day or two away. Did that sound acceptable? Then maybe WP is for you. For those who like to fix their problems immediately, without excuses or scapegoating, DON'T choose WP.

Their service is comparatively expensive...meaning their value is poor. Their service agents are arrogant, and negative feedback will cause them to non-stop email you in an attempt to compensate for the poor service their company offers.

Lastly the "speed" they offer you is a pipedream. My site had a D rating for speed, despite having paid extra for their apparently useless CDN software. I was advised to add a plugin. Couldn't I have done that on a shared server? Did I really need to pay a premium price for 18 months for you to tell me the speed I was paying for was ultimately determined by a 3rd party plugin?!

As I started to see the poor value that I was getting from WP, I asked them to outline what exactly I was getting from WP. What I discovered is that they do not manage anything at all. In fact, they don't even do DNS. (You'll have to get your DNS from a third-party.) They’ll keep your WordPress software updated, and keep a daily backup of your site. But that is it. For what they charge, I'd assume they would offer services that are beyond what the free plugins would accomplish. Guess I was mistaken.

When directly confronted with WHAT they had actually done for me, they balked. I requested, in writing, a rundown of the services they offered. He copied the text from their webpage into an email. Clearly, he had no respect for me…or apparently customers of WP in general.

Lastly, the same web development professional that introduced me to WP acknowledged that the company has gone downhill significantly as it pertained to customer service in the time I'd been with them. (Going on two years). That same web development professional recommended I get the same product for less money at any number of outlets.

So let's see, WP is comparatively expensive and a notably poor value. WP’s customer service is somewhere between poor and none. WP doesn't live up to hype or expectations that they themselves promoted. And everything they offer is available from their competitors for equal or less money. In short, there’s no longer anything special about WP…except its poor value.

What CMS Tools solution do you use?

WP Engine review by <span>Kyle M.</span>
Kyle M.

Extremely Reliable and Useful Wordpress Hosting

What do you like best?

I like that this is not a hosting platform that is difficult to use like GoDaddy or Network Solutions. The UI is great. There's a plugin for Wordpress that helps facilitate moving between a development domain and your live domain. Its portal is also easily accessible from your Wordpress install so you can do things like enable SSL, set up redirect rules, establish a staging environment and more. SSL comes with all packages and is easy to enable.

What do you dislike?

To write redirect rules, you have to use RegEx language, which can be tedious, but there's documentation to support it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as you're using Wordpress as your CMS, this is the only option you should consider for web hosting. Know the difference between DNS hosting and web hosting before getting started with choosing a provider. Consult support and the sales team at WP Engine, they're really helpful.

We've been able to migrate our customers off of hard to use/risky platforms and move them to WPEngine easily. We solve 404 errors quickly, fix long server load times from hosts like GoDaddy, and help minimize the amount of user errors on web development by utilize the staging environment that is easy to setup. It's also very easy to stand up an old version of your site on a development domain.

WP Engine review by <span>Seth P.</span>
Seth P.

WP Engine has great features and amazing customer support

What do you like best?

What don't I like? First, migrating sites to WP Engine could not be easier. Managing my sites is so easy. Backing up and restoring my site is easy. Setting up SSL is easy. All of these things are so much harder on all other web hosting platforms I have worked with.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more tiers for accounts. jumping from 1 site for $30 to 10 sites for $100 is big, it would be good to see something in-between. It would also be nice to add more storage to your account without going to the next tier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you run your websites mainly on Wordpress then definitely make the jump. It is more expensive than many other hosting providers but the amount of time you save with all the tools in WP Engine that are so easy and quick to use it is worth the extra money for the hosting.

I am reducing the time I need to manage my Wordpress installs greatly with WP Engine. What takes me a minute or two with WP Engine would have taken me up towards an hour or sometimes more with the other hosting platforms I have used.

WP Engine review by <span>Kevin G.</span>
Kevin G.

WPEngine for WordPress Hosting Hits the Sweet Spot

What do you like best?

There is a lot to like about WPEngine, but I think their support team is the best. They are friendly, knowledgeable, quick, and thorough. They take the time to help but also to make sure I understand the technical aspects of the issue at hand. Their security is top notch, too. In the years we've been hosting with them, we've never had any hacks, breaches, or any security issues.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much of anything to dislike. I do wish they had some better entry-level pricing options, but other than that, I can't complain about the quality of service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This space is pretty crowded. There are good options from Flywheel, Pagely, Kinsta, and others. WPEngine sits at the intersection of good pricing with good features, making it a great value when compared with the others.

WPEngine keeps me from worrying about the security of my website. Their support staff keeps me from spending unnecessary time troubleshooting issues. Website uptime is exceptional.

WP Engine review by <span>Nik L.</span>
Nik L.

Perfect for Freelancing

What do you like best?

The best thing about WP Engine is how easy they make everything. If you need a staging environment - boom - there you go. If you need a CDN set up - boom - there you go. If you need SSL - boom - you get it. Also the live chat support is amazing!

What do you dislike?

The pricing may seem initially a little high with what you can usually find at other places in regards to basic hosting, the pricing tiers are annoying too. Basic at $30 and the next level is $100...kind of a leap...

Also..setting up the domain mapping is a bit of a headache as the DNS records seem to take longer than normal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into pantheon.io as well. I haven't used it but I've heard good reviews about them as well. Pricing is the same so I'm not going to switch, pantheon does Drupal hosting as well if you need your agency to be more flexible.

As a freelance business owner I relay on the ability to set up quick SECURE staging environments and deploy sites quickly to my clients servers. Super easy to get things done with just pushing buttons. Also, if I have any tricky server questions the live support team is available even at 3am in the morning.

Learn more about WP Engine

WP Engine Videos

Learning about WP Engine?

* We monitor all WP Engine reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.