Xcode

Xcode 6 introduces a radically new way to design and build software. Swift is an innovative new programming language for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch and, when combined with Xcode tools, makes programming a delightfully live experience. Live rendering within Interface Builder displays your hand-written UI code within the design canvas, instantly reflecting changes you type in code.

Work for Xcode?
Visual lansa  ide  2x

Learning about Xcode?

Xcode Reviews

Showing 359 Xcode reviews
Xcode review by <span>Palaniappan M.</span>
Palaniappan M.

Review

What do you like best?

I was glad to see the improvements they made on this latest version of Xcode. The LLDB still needs a little work, but it's getting there. Overall, this is a really solid product, and we use it frequently here at our business. As an IDE,Xcode does really well. It does a great job uniting the iOS and OS X toolchain in a single environment, but it does have it's fair share of kinks to work out.

Xcode gives full control of the app, with all the frameworks and libraries ready to be used. There’s a high level of device independence when compared to developing hybrid apps.

What do you dislike?

I wish the IB assistant was a little more solid than it is, and the code completion is erratic from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great review of an incredible programming tool. My only complaint so far is that I can no longer use CMD + B to build my project. Appart from that Xcode has been improving in stability and product quality enormously since it's initial version.

Personally I find the editor window on the build results and such quite a nice addition, as those who don't want it can easily hide it. To me, it is nice to be able to check the error locations within the same window.

A recommended upgrade to those using earlier versions.

Mobile Automation

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Xcode
Xcode review by <span>Brianna L.</span>
Brianna L.

My favorite IDE

What do you like best?

I love that Apple has built Xcode to build apps for iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. The functionality of Xcode is quite robust, and it generally does a lot for helping design an app. It has some really wonderful built-in layout features (called auto-layout) for arranging different views on a page in each app. It's very visual and helpful while designing on the storyboard in Xcode.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it feels as if Apple only releases Xcode updates every so often when there are more bugs than I think they probably want. The bugs are usually fixed in incremental updates, but the main updates come every year or so, most commonly to support the latest version of Swift that comes out each year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are only a few other IDEs available for Swift, and Xcode is the best of them all, in my opinion. Apple admins Swift, and they build Xcode to go with that language. It has the most built-in support for the software that developers write with it.

Here we use Xcode to build native apps in Swift. It really is a great tool. I have realized that there are also wonderful source control features built in to manage a git repo and remote, committing and editing commit messages, and managing source control blame.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Xcode review by <span>Salvador V.</span>
Salvador V.

Intuitive, Efficient and Reliable

What do you like best?

Xcode provides a straightforward view of making apps for Apple brands. The interface is intuitive and simple for beginners and contains many well-placed menus that make software development a breeze. Having used other software building suites, I have found that Xcode is fine tuned to the macOS operating system. There are hardly any long waits or any updates that are left in limbo. I can't overemphasize the cleanliness of the user interface. The fonts and color schemes are carefully thought out so if you spend 8 hours like me writing code, you're not staring at some poorly designed font.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about Xcode except maybe Apple Watch development. I have found that installing Apple Watch apps takes remarkably more time than iPhone apps because there are no ports on the Apple Watch. It makes you wonder how anyone is patient with the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch tutorials on Youtube, use HackingWithSwift.com

Xcode is a stable software program that has created all our apps. The technologies embedded in it such as Core Data, Swift, UIKit, AVFoundation and many more are really intuitive and do not require lots of study for basic use. The benefits I have realized from Xcode is that my code is easily migrated to the newer iterations of Swift, and that the apps created have been easily modified and debugged.

Xcode review by <span>Maxim A.</span>
Maxim A.

Essential tool for Mac/iOS development

What do you like best?

It’s a first class IDE. It might have shortcomings, but you can’t beat Xcode because it comes straight from Apple and it’s as close as it can get when it comes to supporting their SDKs. I haven’t tried other IDEs for Mac in production, as I prefer to rely on first-party solutions and take advantage of preview versions of SDK. Other apps would have to play catch up to support them.

Stellar part of Xcode is Playgrounds. It's a fun and easy way to test ideas and code snippets. I even use it for simple scripting and automating tasks.

What do you dislike?

Overall I’m happy with Xcode as my main working tool, but occasional crashes or obscure minor bugs get me upset sometimes. Such minor bugs are slow to get fixed. It’s understandable, given the scale of the product and more important priorities. On the plus side I can’t think of any major issues with Xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be overwhelming as a first time IDE, but it’s well designed and well organized.

I’m developing Mac apps. Given longterm experience with Xcode and productive familiarity, there’s little reason to even research possible alternatives.

Xcode review by <span>Joe D.</span>
Joe D.

Xcode is so fun

What do you like best?

I love that you are able to instantly see your results in the right pane and using the iPhone simulator has a lot of appeals and is easy to use. Also, I love that you can put your app on your physical device for testing purposes and such. The ability to be able to see the errors of your code immediately helps with overall development because it tells you where the error is at specifically and also will not let you run your program if there is a significant error(red), but will also tell you if you have a minor error that should be looked at, but won't stop your program from running. You don't need to sign up for a developer account with Apple until you are absolutely ready to submit your apps, but you can mess around and test your app with no issues and I feel that this is amazing and extremely helpful.

What do you dislike?

At this point, I haven't found much that I don't really like. My overall experience has been very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! The best thing about Xcode is that it is free. You don't have to pay for anything and you get to start programming immediately.

I am a new swift developer who is using Xcode to practice before I start to make an app for the members of my business. My app is going to help with the ease of customer use when logging into the app with he ability to download and watch videos or get tips and tricks.

Xcode review by <span>Elena R.</span>
Elena R.

Xcode is a great tool for iOS development

What do you like best?

I like that Xcode has convenient user interface that allows to have everything I need to develop an app with just one click. I can quickly switch between different tools and hide the ones I don't need at the moment.

What do you dislike?

Xcode IDE is pretty heavy in terms of its size on Mac, it updates quiet slowly and takes a lot of space.

I also don't like that sometimes it can stuck and I have to force quit it.

It happens to crash from time to time without a reason but it looks that it is being improved from version to version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode IDE has everything you need to start developing iOS apps. I recommend using the latest version of Xcode and always stay up to date.

I use Xcode to develop iPhone apps. It was quite easy to start with (comparing to other IDEs) and that is one of the main benefits for me. I love that I can easily arrange files in the project just using drag and drop. And I can say the same about connecting UI controls to code.

I like that it has a very good simulator integrated with it. And it also allows to preview app's design on different devices which is very convenient.

Learning about Xcode?

* We monitor all Xcode reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.