Xcode

4.0

Xcode 6 introduces a radically new way to design and build software. Swift is an innovative new programming language for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch and, when combined with Xcode tools, makes programming a delightfully live experience. Live rendering within Interface Builder displays your hand-written UI code within the design canvas, instantly reflecting changes you type in code.

Work for Xcode?

Learning about Xcode?

Xcode Reviews

Ask Xcode a Question
Showing 516 Xcode reviews
Xcode review by Jose D.
Jose D.

"Un IDE diferente"

What do you like best?

Es el único IDE con el cual se pueden crear de forma fácil aplicaciones para IOS y Mac OS. Soporta el nuevo lenguaje de Apple swift. Puedes crear aplicaciones de forma visual, apenas hace falta escribir código. Además se 8ntegra con plugins y con Git. Tiene emuladores para probar la aplicación en distintos dispositivos sin la necesidad de tener que comprarlos.

What do you dislike?

Solo se puede usar en un ordenador mac, es decir, que no se puede instalar en windows, ni en linux... para poder desarrollar hace falta que tengamos un ordenador de Apple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Importante saber que solo se puede usar con un sistema Apple, por lo que el coste para acceder a desarrollar es alto. Tiene integración con git y con plugins de terceros que nos facilita el trabajo. Se puede diseñar las pantallas de forma gráfica por lo que la tarea más complicada de hacer aplicaciones se simplifica

Nos permite realizar aplicaciones para clientes de Apple. Es un mercado al que no es fácil llegar, gracias a la simplicidad de xcode, podemos hacer aplicaciones profesionales de una manera sencilla, eficaz y segura.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Xcode
Xcode review by Clément G.
Clément G.

"The must have software for iOS Dev"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, the way it's preventing errors and mistakes. Coding in Swift is very satisfying thanks to Xcode. You can use the Storyboards to build the front end interface. In this case everything is almost interface only, with drag and drop objects, and visual settings. I like this because it can really give the opportunity to beginners to develop apps so much easily than 100% programmatically. As an ex graphic designer this is very convenient and I am used to such an environment including UI design patterns.

What do you dislike?

Not the program itself but sometimes there are too many Objective C in Swift. Sometimes the errors are appearing way too fast. I don't even have the time to finish the lines of code I was writing that Xcode is already complaining and showing red errors. It can be a bit disturbing at first, but we are used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is definitely the must have platform to use in iOS Development. Read carefully the Apple Documentation provided on their website which is incredibly good and detailed about how to use properly the software. For demanding apps building, I recommend using a powerful Mac machine in this case you will be able to drastically minimise the building and testing process.

iOS Development, main tool. The fact that every single iOS Developer is using the same software can really improve the reliability and ressources in term of support and help.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Xcode review by Irteza A.
Irteza A.

"As a developer with a background mostly in Android, I must say Apple got it right "

What do you like best?

There are so many things to like about xCode. But what I like best is the developer experience of creating UI.

What do you dislike?

The fact that you must pay to be a developer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is only one option to develop a mobile application for iOS. Apple does not allow the use of any other tools. The inflexibility might be annoying for some but as a long time user and developer of all kinds of applications, I must say XCode is one of the best IDEs I have worked with. The experience for developing UI is fantastic. Its easy to get started even with very little experience (which is more than I can say for Android). There is the overhead of learning Objective C or Swift which aren't terribly popular languages but with a background in Java I can tell you Swift will make your life much easier!

We are developing high end mobile applications for iOS.

Xcode review by Daniel P.
Daniel P.

"Fully integrated to develop ios apps"

What do you like best?

The best thing about xcode is that it's created by Apple and the ease of creating ios apps, for both iPhone and iPad, is very large. You can not only create the app, but also manage the UI, prepare the app for testing, upload to production...

The debugging tool is the best I have used, the use of breakpoints, memory and power management is very good and helps the developer a lot.

I love that there is an emulator with all iPhone and iPad devices to test all screen sizes. Also, one of my favorite features (included not long ago) is the ability to launch the app on your iPhone without having to connect it to your Mac.

What do you dislike?

There are small bugs that are noticed day by day and sometimes they get to frustrate. Small program crashes, problems after importing cocoapods dependencies, necessary restart of the IDE to manage imports....

There are also problems when connecting storyboards to the controller, for example, when there is a change in the class of a viewcontroller, sometimes it is necessary to restart the IDE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best IDE for ios development

I have developed multiple applications for iPhone, from several clients. The result was as expected, the tools provided by xcode are perfect for application development and testing. The main problems to solve were to develop applications that followed a client-server structure, for which it was necessary to implement calls to a rest API. With the debugging tools it was very easy to follow the traces of error and end up developing a good product.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Xcode review by Mustafa A.
Mustafa A.

"xcode "

What do you like best?

You may have experienced some words on Google even though you did not remember the exact name or spelling, but you still find the answer.

Just like Google, it automatically completes the entire syntax and indicates its functionality. Recently, I learned JavaScript using Sublime Text Editor. I found Swift more convenient because it does more automatic searching for me. In other words, the only thing I wanted to know was that things existed.

You may have encountered some words that you do not remember.

Just like Google, they complement the brilliance of the whole sentence to their functions. In the last block, I learned JavaScript using the Sublime text editor. I found Swift more convenient and more. In other words, the only thing I wanted to know was that things existed.

What do you dislike?

There are unnecessary restrictions for iOS development such as: You can not use transparent PNG as icons. why not? Transparent icon will be the most beautiful you have on the iPhone main screen! Picture of GIF photos as a launch image in iOS, but this is not possible

Distributing marketing of our business

Xcode review by Brian C.
Brian C.

"XCode and Swift as a language combined make an extremely smooth User Experience"

What do you like best?

The way that front-end development is handled. I believe that swift and Xcode alongside it does an amazing job of decreasing the effort and semantics involved in front end development while maintaining the specificity that CSS provides. Also immediate transfer to an iPhone is extremely convenient for testing of course, especially since it is integrated. The simulator and environment in general is also faster than Android Studio.

What do you dislike?

I could not say I dislike anything in particular about Xcode beyond the fact that is advertised as a one size fits all programming environment which I would say it is not. I would say that on the contrary to my previous assessment that sometimes the simplicity of the UI rendering lends itself to less effective design, but this is outweighed by the option Apple retains of writing the design from scratch rather than through drag and drop features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to read up on the hotkeys and other functionality. It is highly deep as an IDE and enables a lot of additional functionality if you know where to look.

It provides an easy to use app development platform. With a great UI that makes front-end development far simpler for developers. This is definitely advantageous compared to CSS and HTML because of the ability to be less semantic and more efficient with UI and UX creation. By also making UI visualization a key part of the Xcode system it promotes quality development that is fully aware of the look and feel of the application.

Xcode review by Palaniappan M.
Palaniappan M.

"Review"

What do you like best?

I was glad to see the improvements they made on this latest version of Xcode. The LLDB still needs a little work, but it's getting there. Overall, this is a really solid product, and we use it frequently here at our business. As an IDE,Xcode does really well. It does a great job uniting the iOS and OS X toolchain in a single environment, but it does have it's fair share of kinks to work out.

Xcode gives full control of the app, with all the frameworks and libraries ready to be used. There’s a high level of device independence when compared to developing hybrid apps.

What do you dislike?

I wish the IB assistant was a little more solid than it is, and the code completion is erratic from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great review of an incredible programming tool. My only complaint so far is that I can no longer use CMD + B to build my project. Appart from that Xcode has been improving in stability and product quality enormously since it's initial version.

Personally I find the editor window on the build results and such quite a nice addition, as those who don't want it can easily hide it. To me, it is nice to be able to check the error locations within the same window.

A recommended upgrade to those using earlier versions.

Mobile Automation

Xcode review by Brianna L.
Brianna L.

"My favorite IDE"

What do you like best?

I love that Apple has built Xcode to build apps for iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. The functionality of Xcode is quite robust, and it generally does a lot for helping design an app. It has some really wonderful built-in layout features (called auto-layout) for arranging different views on a page in each app. It's very visual and helpful while designing on the storyboard in Xcode.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it feels as if Apple only releases Xcode updates every so often when there are more bugs than I think they probably want. The bugs are usually fixed in incremental updates, but the main updates come every year or so, most commonly to support the latest version of Swift that comes out each year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are only a few other IDEs available for Swift, and Xcode is the best of them all, in my opinion. Apple admins Swift, and they build Xcode to go with that language. It has the most built-in support for the software that developers write with it.

Here we use Xcode to build native apps in Swift. It really is a great tool. I have realized that there are also wonderful source control features built in to manage a git repo and remote, committing and editing commit messages, and managing source control blame.

Xcode review by Salvador V.
Salvador V.

"Intuitive, Efficient and Reliable"

What do you like best?

Xcode provides a straightforward view of making apps for Apple brands. The interface is intuitive and simple for beginners and contains many well-placed menus that make software development a breeze. Having used other software building suites, I have found that Xcode is fine tuned to the macOS operating system. There are hardly any long waits or any updates that are left in limbo. I can't overemphasize the cleanliness of the user interface. The fonts and color schemes are carefully thought out so if you spend 8 hours like me writing code, you're not staring at some poorly designed font.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about Xcode except maybe Apple Watch development. I have found that installing Apple Watch apps takes remarkably more time than iPhone apps because there are no ports on the Apple Watch. It makes you wonder how anyone is patient with the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch tutorials on Youtube, use HackingWithSwift.com

Xcode is a stable software program that has created all our apps. The technologies embedded in it such as Core Data, Swift, UIKit, AVFoundation and many more are really intuitive and do not require lots of study for basic use. The benefits I have realized from Xcode is that my code is easily migrated to the newer iterations of Swift, and that the apps created have been easily modified and debugged.

Xcode review by Maxim A.
Maxim A.

"Essential tool for Mac/iOS development"

What do you like best?

It’s a first class IDE. It might have shortcomings, but you can’t beat Xcode because it comes straight from Apple and it’s as close as it can get when it comes to supporting their SDKs. I haven’t tried other IDEs for Mac in production, as I prefer to rely on first-party solutions and take advantage of preview versions of SDK. Other apps would have to play catch up to support them.

Stellar part of Xcode is Playgrounds. It's a fun and easy way to test ideas and code snippets. I even use it for simple scripting and automating tasks.

What do you dislike?

Overall I’m happy with Xcode as my main working tool, but occasional crashes or obscure minor bugs get me upset sometimes. Such minor bugs are slow to get fixed. It’s understandable, given the scale of the product and more important priorities. On the plus side I can’t think of any major issues with Xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be overwhelming as a first time IDE, but it’s well designed and well organized.

I’m developing Mac apps. Given longterm experience with Xcode and productive familiarity, there’s little reason to even research possible alternatives.

Xcode review by Joe D.
Joe D.

"Xcode is so fun"

What do you like best?

I love that you are able to instantly see your results in the right pane and using the iPhone simulator has a lot of appeals and is easy to use. Also, I love that you can put your app on your physical device for testing purposes and such. The ability to be able to see the errors of your code immediately helps with overall development because it tells you where the error is at specifically and also will not let you run your program if there is a significant error(red), but will also tell you if you have a minor error that should be looked at, but won't stop your program from running. You don't need to sign up for a developer account with Apple until you are absolutely ready to submit your apps, but you can mess around and test your app with no issues and I feel that this is amazing and extremely helpful.

What do you dislike?

At this point, I haven't found much that I don't really like. My overall experience has been very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! The best thing about Xcode is that it is free. You don't have to pay for anything and you get to start programming immediately.

I am a new swift developer who is using Xcode to practice before I start to make an app for the members of my business. My app is going to help with the ease of customer use when logging into the app with he ability to download and watch videos or get tips and tricks.

Xcode review by Elena R.
Elena R.

"Xcode is a great tool for iOS development"

What do you like best?

I like that Xcode has convenient user interface that allows to have everything I need to develop an app with just one click. I can quickly switch between different tools and hide the ones I don't need at the moment.

What do you dislike?

Xcode IDE is pretty heavy in terms of its size on Mac, it updates quiet slowly and takes a lot of space.

I also don't like that sometimes it can stuck and I have to force quit it.

It happens to crash from time to time without a reason but it looks that it is being improved from version to version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode IDE has everything you need to start developing iOS apps. I recommend using the latest version of Xcode and always stay up to date.

I use Xcode to develop iPhone apps. It was quite easy to start with (comparing to other IDEs) and that is one of the main benefits for me. I love that I can easily arrange files in the project just using drag and drop. And I can say the same about connecting UI controls to code.

I like that it has a very good simulator integrated with it. And it also allows to preview app's design on different devices which is very convenient.

Xcode review by Peter A.
Peter A.

"Creating apps for iOS using Xcode"

What do you like best?

Xcode has improved vastly over time. The best part of it is the way in which you can easily create the UI parts of the app and link them to the code. It is best if you can create a single UI that meets all devices, as that keeps your UI design simpler.

Taking an app from being just local to being for sale on the app store is now much easier than it used to be, with all of the difficult steps now done automatically for you by Xcode.

The ability to create libraries in swift and reuse them is very good, but also somewhat difficult to link in at times, so this can count as both a plus and a minus.

What do you dislike?

If you have to create a different UI for different screen sizes then that can be tricky. Also sometimes Xcode gets confused and you need to reboot to reestablish the connection with your device.

Some errors that you get when developing (especially linker errors) can be very hard to debug.

The problems you can have linking in user created libraries in swift (also see things I like best) is harder to use than it should be and creates excessive problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really the only choice you have if you are developing for iOS and don't want to be reliant on third party solutions.

Creating apps for sale on the Apple app store for both b2b and b2c systems.

Xcode review by Tim T.
Tim T.

"Xcode is good for web design"

What do you like best?

I like how Xcode simplifies everything involved with editing into one software that you can use to create different apps. I also like how Xcode uses the Swift programing language. This makes it easier to use. At first, I thought that it was going to be hard to use because I was not use to it, but it makes app developing a lot easier. It offers a lot of features.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the interface builder at all. The interface builder is suppose to help you design apps without using code, but it seems like you can only use this for basic things. More advanced editing requires you to have a knowledge of coding. The debugger also doesn't catch all of the mistakes and some things that it flags as mistakes are not mistakes at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Xcode a try, but it takes a lot to get use to. Tutorials help a lot. I would advise trying to seek out independent tutorials to help gain the basics of Xcode.

App developing for a small business

Xcode review by Matheus B.
Matheus B.

"A required tool for everyone developing for Apple platforms - for better or for worse"

What do you like best?

Xcode is actually a huge monster of an IDE - there are so many features that you'll likely never use them all. A lot of them are very useful though - for example, Instruments are great tools to debug your apps, find memory leaks, debug performance issues, etc, and not having to install additional tools is very helpful. Everything you need to develop iOS and Mac apps is built in, from building interfaces to debugging.

What do you dislike?

Being a huge IDE has its problems, as crashes and mysterious problems are common. Experienced Xcode users know some of the "tricks" by heart - deleting some internal folders when builds fail, restarting the app, avoiding SVN changes while the project is still open, etc - but new users will probably be a little frustrated by the constant problems they might face initially.

There are also issues related to using Swift with Xcode, as syntax completion often fails mysteriously and build times are noticeably slower than projects using Objective-C.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend using other communities such as Reddit or Twitter to keep yourself informed, since sometimes release notes can be difficult to parse and there are lots of quirks to every new version of Xcode. Either way it's always a good thing to get connected to the community.

To answer plainly and simply: It's practically the only way to develop, build and upload iOS and Mac apps, which is a business requirement for us and many other companies out there.

Xcode review by Kuntal V.
Kuntal V.

"The Apple IDE"

What do you like best?

Xcode is really great for designing cool User Interface and creating a good-looking UI quite easily. It is better than most of the other IDEs out there it's quick and easy. One might find it a little bit difficult to get into the rhythm of how Xcode works, but once you get the hang of it, you are good to go.

What do you dislike?

Basically, IDEs are meant for code completion, refactoring etc. In these areas, Xcode is generations behind than other IDEs such as NetBeans or Visual Studio (I'm talking about just writing the code). So, I would say I'm not a big fan of writing my code in Xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure if I or any other Xcode user will say that it's the best IDE out there, but if you are looking forward to developing iOS apps, or apps for any other Apple product you will have to work on Xcode, and it's not that bad, I mean it's alright.

For any client, apps have become an important part of their company nowadays. So, they need to develop Android and iOS apps. And to develop an iOS app you need to use Xcode. Obviously, Xcode helps in creating better optimised, fast and beautiful looking apps to match the Apple standards of perfection.

Xcode review by Rich W.
Rich W.

"Wouldn't recommend, but you have literally no choice to use it!"

What do you like best?

Managed uploads and version control to itunes connect, which is an advantage above android. ( react native ). The simulator is a great tool, very accurately depicts an iphone / ipad etc and speeds up local development a lot.

What do you dislike?

Clumsy layout, difficult to find what you need to do, errors very poorly displayed. Simulator does not handle push notifications which can make local development trickier. Building to a device is also fiddly and often throws errors that you do not get on building to the simulator. Very little documentation for xcode, very often a case of google that error and solve it yourself. Little if no support options? The whole software appears as though it has had loads of extras bolted on over the years which have made the ux and ui very clumsy. Its also an enormous program ( ~20 gbs ) which when you have to use a mac ( another flaw for my poor linux friends ) takes up a huge amount of a 128gb or 256gb macbook harddrive. Simulator slows down after protracted use (appears a some processes build up over time on react native).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Your app build is very fragile! Be careful updating pod dependancies etc, e g. High Sierra recently updated my ruby version which broke my pod install and forced 5 hours of installing / reinstalling and hoping for the best before it was fixed.

We use x code to develop and release the iOS of our react native app. Has enabled us to get live on the app store, but as you are forced to use it thats not all that impressive!

Xcode review by Rut B.
Rut B.

"Heavy and full of bugs"

What do you like best?

I think the best thing of this IDE is the visual interface designer

What do you dislike?

Almost all. Very heavy, you need to fully update it and download 4 or 5 Gigabytes every time a new iOS release is rolled out. Poor vcs support. Since I am used to work with Jetbrains Intellij Idea, I find Xcode cumbersome compared to it. It's full of annoying bugs: about signign when you build and sign multiple apps with multiple developers account, and so on, current release even when you hit the back space button it makes the program crash and you can lose your work

Using Xcode is compulsory if you want to develop iOS applications. I have found useful the integrated process of build -sign - and upload an iOS build to the Apple Store, even if sometimes bugs interfere also with this

Xcode review by Daniel R.
Daniel R.

"Necessary evil for iOS Browser Automation"

What do you like best?

It's the only way to simulate iOS Safari; not easy to support iOS Chrome.

What do you dislike?

Can't even run git without this on Macbook; tough to download older versions of Simulators

Automation with Appium is not possible without XCode, but there tends to be version compatibility issues all over the place: In order to use XCode 8.3 on El Capitan, only v0.25 of Carthage is supported. However, the download for XCode 8.3 is not easy to find.

I ended up having to write 3 versions of the install instructions for our browser automation project since XCode 9 won't run on anything lower than Sierra.

This type of thing makes development on iOS a HUGE hassle.

AVD's are MUCH easier to manage.

Xcode review by Connor R.
Connor R.

"Xcode is good for app design"

What do you like best?

Xcode is one of the best programs for designing apps. We use it mainly for our app we are developing for customer support. So far the program has made editing and writing code really easy. I like how good the software is at catching mistakes and editing source code. I also like how Xcode is compatible with swift code 3 and 4.

What do you dislike?

Xcode and be slightly difficult to use starting out. You do need to have a really good understanding of code before trying to use the program. Xcode seems like more of a code editor instead of a code writing program. I would like to see Xcode provide more support for code writing while also maintaining the ability for code editing.

We are using the program to create our customer support app.

Xcode review by Roger W.
Roger W.

"Xcode is the best tool to do programming in Mac"

What do you like best?

IDE provides pretty good user interfaces to write codes, debug app, do profiling.

What do you dislike?

Not much. However, if I want to put in wish list is that to allow adding some user plugin to enhance Xcode features. Another thing is that if you want to do kernel debugging, you still need to run lldb in command line. If kernel debugging in IDE, it would be much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best developing tool if want to do programming in Mac. You can attach to user space processes very easily.

I use it for my daily work in Forcepoint and do run time debugging to find the bugs' root cause. I can solve my Jira cases in an very efficient way.

Xcode review by Carmen S.
Carmen S.

"Herramienta de desarrollo"

What do you like best?

Esta aplicación es muy útil para el desarrollo de aplicaciones de iOS. Nos ha permitido en la empresa desarrollar una aplicación para estar en contacto con los clientes. Me gusta la facilidad y lo visual que hace el desarrollo de aplicaciones. Me gusta que esté integrado con el nuevo lenguaje swift, mucho más sencillo que el previo. Además, el emulador asociado es muy util

What do you dislike?

Al principio el manejo de la aplicación se hace un tanto complicado. Necesitas tener unos conocimientos básicos de código y de desarrollo de aplicaciones para poder usarla con fluidez, pero una vez los aprendes, te permite generar apps con rapidez. No me gusta la imposición que hace apple al impedir que pueda funcionar en un OS que no sea MAC OSX (como Linux, Windows...), lo cual obliga a realizar un importante desembolso en equipo

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buena aplicación para el desarrollo de aplicaciones

Desarrollo de app de la empresa

Xcode review by Patrick F.
Patrick F.

"Apple made it easy to develop on iOS"

What do you like best?

Not that there's another viable tool (unless you want to go full vim/emacs) on Mac for developing on iOS, but Xcode has all the right features and support for developing Swift/Objective C, Code completion, integration with iOS libraries built in, simulating all kinds of devices, themes. I mean, what more can you ask for!?

What do you dislike?

Why must Xcode be soooo slow?! Part of the problem is that it's bloated. I mean after you install the initial thing it asks you to install more things! But that's the price you gotta pay for all those feature I guess...

Oh and it's a bit ugly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're developing for iOS on Mac, just use Xcode

Developing our iOS apps.

Xcode review by Ricardo S.
Ricardo S.

"Herramienta obligada para desarrolladores en Mac"

What do you like best?

Si eres desarrollador y usas MacOS, en Xcode encontrarás todo lo que necesitas. Es un entorno de desarrollo agradable y que te permitirá desarrollar tanto para MacOS como para iOS. Es un software gratuito, lo que hace junto a su potencial es que sea una herramienta indispensable. Estaríamos hablando del hermano gemelo de Visual Studio pero para los usuarios de MAC. Al igual que este, tiene una herramienta para la creación de interfaces de forma sencilla, llamada Interface Builder. Esto nos permite crear un entorno grafico con facilidad.

What do you dislike?

Lo que es la instalación es muy sencilla, como siempre en MacOS, pero ocupa mucho espacio tanto de descarga como de instalación. Las actualizaciones no son muy frecuentes y el soporte técnico por parte de Apple no es muy efectivo. También considero que es un software orientado más a grandes proyectos, que se puede hacer incómodo o con demasiadas opciones para pequeños desarrollos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lo recomiendo, es una opción obligada si desarrollas para MacOS y para iOS. Es gratuito y vas a tener todas las opciones disponibles. Ve preparando espacio libre en disco porque ocupa bastante, pero creo que merece la pena por todo lo que ofrece.

Con Xcode encuentras un aliado en tu MacOS en lo que ha desarrollo se refiere. Es cierto que hay otras opciones, pero ninguna llega a ser tan completa. Para el desarrollo de aplicaciones en iOS fue fundamental, ya que sólo trabajábamos con Andorid. Estuvimos usando Eclipse al principio, pero instalarlo en MacOSX se puede convertir en toda una odisea. Al final decidimos quedarnos con Xcode, y una vez te acostumbras al diseño de la interfaz gráfica y algunos aspectos nuevos, se hace todo más fácil.

Xcode review by Paco G.
Paco G.

"Para bien o para mal, necesaria para todos los desarrolladores de plataformas Apple"

What do you like best?

Xcode es un gran IDE, hay tantas funciones que probablemente nunca las uses todas. Muchas son realmente útiles; por ejemplo, "Instruments" es una herramienta excelentes para depurar las aplicaciones, encontrar fugas de memoria, depurar problemas de rendimiento, etc... no tener que instalar herramientas adicionales es muy útil. Todo lo que necesitas para desarrollar aplicaciones de iOS y Mac está integrado, desde la creación de interfaces hasta la depuración. Lo mejor es el emulador de iPhone / iPad.

What do you dislike?

Ser un gran IDE tiene sus problemas, ya que los bloqueos y los misteriosos problemas son comunes. Los usuarios experimentados de Xcode conocen de memoria algunos de los "trucos": borrar algunas carpetas internas cuando fallan las compilaciones, reiniciar la aplicación, evitar cambios SVN mientras el proyecto aún está abierto, etc... pero los nuevos usuarios probablemente se sentirán un poco frustrados por los constantes problemas que pueden aparecer inicialmente.

También hay problemas relacionados con el uso de Swift con Xcode, ya que el autocompletado de código a menudo falla misteriosamente y los tiempos de compilación son notablemente más lentos que los proyectos que usan Objective-C.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recomiendo usar comunidades online para mantenerse informado, ya que a veces las notas de la versión pueden ser difíciles de analizar y hay muchas peculiaridades en cada nueva versión de Xcode.

Para responder directamente: es prácticamente la única forma de desarrollar, crear y subir aplicaciones para iOS y Mac, que es un requisito para muchas compañías.

Xcode review by Carlos G.
Carlos G.

"Buena plataforma de desarrollo"

What do you like best?

La plataforma para Mac de desarrollo por excelencia. Xcode no os ofrece compatibilidad con decenas de lenguajes de programación. La instalación es sencilla como siempre en OSX y nos ofrece un entorno amigable que anima a la programación. Podremos programar tanto para OSX como para Windows o dispositivos móviles. Recomendado si eres usuario de OSX.

What do you dislike?

Ocupa demasiado espacio en disco, cuando digo demasiado es muchísimo. En parte comprensible por la cantidad de lenguajes que maneja, pero a mí parecer demasiado. Necesitas ser usuario avanzado para manejar todas las opciones que encontraremos. El soporte al usuario no es muy bueno en nuestra experiencia personal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Creo que ha mejorado bastante con el tiempo, hace ya unos años que no lo usamos, pero por conocidos se de buena mano que es una opción excelente para desarrollo desde entorno OSX. Os animo a probarlo, personalmente no era la mejor opción para nosotros, pero en general es una buena plataforma para desarrollar y sacar adelante vuestros proyectos.

Durante una temporada, estuvimos programando en cobol y algunos lenguajes parecidos. Xcode era la mejor opción para las tareas que desarrollamos, aunque en aquella época teníamos el hándicap de que sólo estaba disponible para Mac y OSX, lo cual nos limitaba bastante al ser usuarios de Windows.

Xcode review by User

"Powerful tool that includes all"

What do you like best?

Convenient UI, highly customizable theme. Comes with integrated source control which offers user friendly code comparison. App signing and submission cannot be more simple and efficient. XCode also manages provisioning profiles and signing certificates, automatically syncs with itunes connect and local keychain storage. Overall it performs relatively stable. Multiple simulators (up to 4) run smoothly side by side. It supports multiple tabs which can be popped out just like browser tabs. Powerful GUI allows users to create any UI they need by dragging and dropping components. Simulators can be resized, custom locations (including freeway driving simulations) can be assigned. Memory warnings, various physical gestures can be simulated. Debugging made easy but powerful.

What do you dislike?

No instant rebuilding, code-completion frequently goes with delay. Requires Mac machine (no Windows version is available, and there is no equivalent software for Windows users). Code folding is inefficient and limited. Running and debugging modes are not separated so sometimes it can be frustrating to hit break points when you actually not wanted to debug. Solution to this, XCode provided users with convenient controls on breakpoints, with single click all breakpoints can be turned off. Auto indexing can take forever and when it does it consumes huge amount of computer resources. When XCode is in infinite loop of indexing, only way to get out is invalidating the cache and restarting it. Same thing applies when XCode cannot finish preparing a real device for debugging - restart XCode to get out of that stage. Private classes and/or methods too frequently get deprecate. Crash log symbolicating does not always work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save your work periodically. XCode can crash unexpectedly especially when it prepares archive files, indexes, etc. Do backup your projects before you upgrade XCode. It is advisable to upgrade only if you really need it.

Developing mobile (iPhone, iPad) and Mac apps. It is the only tool to have iOS apps. Managing, sharing source code via XCode is simple and efficient.

Xcode review by Curtis X.
Curtis X.

"I think Xcode can do better"

What do you like best?

One thing I absolutely love is the hotkey of Ctrl + i to format my code the perfect way, super awesome. The other thing is how the look and feel of Xcode are just very smooth and not make me tired after working long periods of time. The code hinting has also been a big help for me especially when I am new to iOS development. Also, the emulator is pretty awesome to see, I am surprised by how nice they are.

What do you dislike?

Apple please don't always force me to update and take like forever. I lost a huge chunk of time trying to update Xcode and working with an entirely new version of Swift, again. Horrible experience trying to deal with iOS development is updating the new Swift and Xcode can't do it automatically itself. Then I have to waste an entire week to fix the compatibility issue because Swift is new again.

We are trying to build an iOS app for iPhone and iPad. It was just a simple book app we are supposed to build, I think the only benefit is I have to struggle with some most annoying problems in my Career of development.

Xcode review by Ismael R.
Ismael R.

"Mejor IDE para crear fabulosas APPs para iOS"

What do you like best?

Xcode es un IDE de programación creado por Apple, una gran ventaja de este es que podemos usar diferentes lenguajes de programación, ya sea Swift, como lenguaje principal, Objetive-C, C, etc... Una de las mejores características de Xcode es el autocompletado, que hace que escribir código sea mucho más rápido, optimizando mejor tu tiempo. También tiene una función que te permite ver errores en el código en tiempo real. Por último, es facil de usar y tiene un diseño muy bonito.

What do you dislike?

Xcode no es perfecto, aunque yo personalmente tengo un Mac que puede correr todo, hay gente que tiene ordenadores que son un poco antiguos. Xcode requiere mucha RAM y sobre todo procesador. Para gente así se hace un poco complicado trabajar. Por lo demás Xcode es un gran entorno-

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mi recomendación sería que Xcode se optimizase mejor a los equipos menos potentes, lo ideal sería crear un nuevo IDE o configuración en el que se pudiesen para los tiempos de ejecución y que no se esté el programa ejecutando constantemente. Si es verdad que eso requeriría un esfuerzo por parte de Apple pero creo que si hiciesen eso ganarían más usuarios ya que tienen un gran sistema operativo.

Xcode permite optimizar mucho nuestro tiempo frente a otros programas. Gracias a esto podemos publicar Apps de más calidad y obtener así más usuarios. Así se consigue que más gente acuda a nuestra empresa requiriendo nuestros productos.

Xcode review by Alberto M.
Alberto M.

"Programing in iOs"

What do you like best?

The easy way and clear interface to program apps for ios. If you have the apple enviroment,you can create a lot of applications for your company or for your own satisfaction. You can win money if you create a amazing app.

What do you dislike?

It's only available in macOS and you need to use only apple computers. This is a big handicap because most of the companies have windows computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need apps for iOs this is your product.If you make easy your employees work,this is your tool.If you want win money, create a excelent app and you could win a lot of money

We created a lot of apps to help dayly things. We can do little things with our mobile or apple device. We created 5 apps that 80% of the company have and they use every day. If you create a nice app your employees take better work.

"Overengineered tool"

What do you like best?

xCode is a powerful and polished tool for Objective-C and Swift development of iOS and Mac applications. It has many features, such as drag-and-drop user interface creation, auto completion coding, integrated debugging, etc. Upgrading of xCode is easy compared to Google Android Studio as xCode tents to have a single upgrade for all parts of the product

What do you dislike?

Despite xCode's greater sophistication and polish compared to Google Android Studio, xCode comes across as over engineered, proprietary, harder-use, less accessible, and perhaps less reliable. For example, xCode Interface Builder's proprietary XML format is practically non-editable by humans compared to Studio's easy XML format. And xCode's auto layout editor is a nightmare to use compared to the straightforward layout views, etc. on Studio. Even after 8 years, xCode continues to have caching problems during building due to its "DerivedData".

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're developing native iOS applications, you'll be using xCode. But if you can, steer your career to the open Android Studio, which develops apps for an increasing marketshare.

I've used xCode to develop iOS applications over 8 years for medical, security, gaming, and more. As the tool has become well integrated with the Apple App Store, xCode is the easiest way to develop and deploy iOS applications.

"Usefulness of Xcode"

What do you like best?

Responsiveness and integration for iOS development. Had all the libraries included as expected without much input from developer.

What do you dislike?

Not much shortcut configuration or easy to do. Not the best for other languages like Java or even c++. Not auto completion for other languages built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always read the official documentation about the xcode and not from third party or some blog as swift or other languages c# evolves xcode evolves and so earlier tutorials might not have best or up to date information. So with official documentation.

Try gaining to know about shortcuts early on other wise it is pain to do it on smaller screen with touchpad.

Keep it updated and try to use gcc compiler that comes with xcode for doing also c++ development. You will get into trouble if using anything other then that.

Developing iOS apps mostly and benefits are able to test the app for all the platforms of iOS at same time.

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Secure Software Test Automation Engineer"

What do you like best?

Xcode is nature IDE for Mac developer to easy create not only iOS but also Mac OS applications. You, can use this IDE to develop iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch and all application for Apple devices. It is free download from Apple Store as long as you have apple devices. It fully support and no any doubt of it

What do you dislike?

I need to take very large hard drive space in order to install on Mac OS and sometimes it tooks a lot of resources and let the machine hang and crash

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am highly this IDE for all Mac application develop. This is nature application in Mac OS and can do everything for your need.

Our company has security endpoint software and also support Mac version so we need Xcode to write object C to accomplish the task. It is easy to write and debug when we got issues on our software. Even for testing, we are using Xcode to write apple script to run our automation test on different Mac OS.

Xcode review by Kevin A.
Kevin A.

"Buen IDE, pero exclusivo."

What do you like best?

Con Xcode podremos desarrollar aplicaciones tanto para IOS como para Mac OS. Soporta distintos lenguajes de programación de Apple, como Objective-C o Swift. También dispone de un entorno visual, donde poder visualizar componentes directamente, no solo código. También dispone de un emulador para poder emular y visualizar el desarrollo actual.

What do you dislike?

Es exclusivo de Apple, y por consiguiente, no puede ser instalado en un equipo Windows... solo en equipos con Mac OS, limitando bastante así su uso.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es un muy buen IDE para poder desarrollar y crear tus nuevos proyectos para el universo de Apple.

Al ser exclusivo de Mac OS, te implica un desembolso bastante grande para poder disponer de un equipo de Apple compatible, por lo que ha muchas empresas nos les interesa o no les sale rentable realizar este tipo de desembolso para poder realizar estos desarrollos, siempre dependerá de su fin.

Xcode review by Catherine J.
Catherine J.

"Xcode for App Development"

What do you like best?

Xcode IDE is very comprehensive. The IDE is fully integrated with development, testing, and deployment on one platform. I like the color coding of code as well as the overall easy to use simulator.

What do you dislike?

Problem resolution when compilation/links fail could be easier. I find my self searching for solutions to simple problems sometimes. When new versions of the software come out, I find that things are always going wrong and require changes to my code or setup to get going again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Xcode. A bit of a learning curve but worth it.

Xcode allows us to develop and test in an integrated environment. I feel that all of the programmers help each other when new features arrive.

Xcode review by Justin P.
Justin P.

"Only used when necessary"

What do you like best?

Ability to archive packages for iOS and upload to iTunes Connect. Creating icon sets for an application is useful, but is not reliable.

What do you dislike?

That it is essentially a necessity for some parts of creating an iOS application. I particularly dislike the excessive warnings. Most of Xcode feels counterintuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As it is required for iOS development prepare yourself to use Xcode, but don't expect the features and intuitiveness of a full featured IDE. There are some things that are very difficult to achieve outside of Xcode, and some that are impossible; besides using it for these tasks I tend to use another IDE.

I use Xcode solely for iOS development.

Xcode review by Jote J.
Jote J.

"Xcode for easy programing"

What do you like best?

One of the best things that I like about xcode is that it has real device testing built into the program. You can run test without fulling building the app you are working on. There is also the ability for customization of triggers which is really helpful in the integration process.

What do you dislike?

One of the things that I dislike about xcode is that there is no cross platform support. It is also hard to manage if a large group is trying to work on the same project. At times, I have found that debugging is also difficult to do in xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is great for a small groups and individual use.

We are using xcode for automated testing and simulation.

Xcode review by Nikolay K.
Nikolay K.

"There no alternatives - but it's pretty good"

What do you like best?

I'm developing mobile cross platform app and using both Xcode and Android Studio.

I'm not very happy with Xcode but it's better then Android Studio in terms of performs and easy to use.

Wha I like

- it's doesn't consume a lot of RAM

- easy&fast open an app using a different simulators

- easy to upload app to iTunes

What do you dislike?

- problems with signing the App using certificates

- take too much space on the disk (up to 20-25GB). Since I have 128GB mac - it's a problem. So from time to time I have to completely reinstall it.

- some bugs occurs regularly

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's better now to use "automatically manage signing" feature. I switch to manage certificates manually and it saved me a lot of time.

developing hight quality mobile apps. Fast

Xcode review by Raúl C.
Raúl C.

"Util IDE to work and test IOS apps"

What do you like best?

It's the only compatible tool I found to compile in native code on iOS. It is also an official tool of Apple.

What do you dislike?

I think that by not having a great tool as a competition, your product is not as good as it could be. Sometimes it is too slow. We also need to have an Apple computer to work with. In my case an iMac.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to implement a native application for iOS, this is your tool. On the other hand, if you do not need to be native, I would opt for a web or hybrid application that works for both Android and iOS.

As I said it is a great tool to make native applications. I think this is the main benefit of this IDE. It also serves to test those same applications that you create in XCode.

Xcode review by Adrien B.
Adrien B.

"The best app for iOS developers"

What do you like best?

Xcode is user friendly and easy to use. I love the user interface. Other IDE are really bad and sometimes you have to search how to do something. This is not the case with Xcode :)

What do you dislike?

There is no dark interface. As developer, I use it all the day (and night sometimes). A dark interface would be better for my eyes. The only thing I can do is to change the editor color (but not the menu colors...)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definetly recommand this app to any iOS developper. But If you are one of them, you already know it...

If you want to build and iOS app, Xcode is mandatory. So I cannot use any other alternative.

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Proffesional level software development with a few frustrations."

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Xcode is that it is focused. Too often development software tries too be all things to all people, causing constant frustration (I'm looking at you Visual Studio). But XCode knows who it is for (with some exceptions, see my dislike comment). If I am on a Mac, and I open XCode, it is clear I want to develop Mac/iOS based software (and all the flavors in between). I don't have to fight the environment to eliminate cruft to do the job. It stays clean and allows me to open only the tools I care about, when I care about them, and I appreciate that.

What do you dislike?

Here's the rub and what will sound like a contradiction, the environment is focused. While I want and appreciate that, I still want to customize the interface and tools. I don't want unwanted tools and features forced down my throat, but that doesn't mean I don't want to add some. The lack of a true extension framework unnecessarily limits me. This is one area Apple is missing one essential fact about who this software is for (as alluded to in my "like best" comments). Developers are tinkerers and opinionated. While I want to be guided in an asthetic direction, I still want and need tools to help simplify my work, the way I work. I do not expect or want Apple to cater to every possible person, but I do want an extension framework that allows me to extend the application to suite my daily workflow my way. It's a feature they have alluded to, and I hope this is the year we get it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no other way to say it, use Xcode on macOS to develop your software. You could use other platforms such as Xamarin/Visual Studio if you hate yourself and don't mind software performance issues for your customers. Go native and do it the right way. You will be glad you did.

I am currently writing both macOS and iOS software, and having a unified suite of tools designed for the job has allowed me to focus on the tasks at hand. Developing, troubleshooting and optimizing my software.

Xcode review by Consultant in Automotive
Consultant in Automotive

"xcode - most comprehensive dev tool for iOS and Apple Platforms"

What do you like best?

The user interface is clean and easy to use for an IDE. Build and release areas of the app are clearly labelled. Debugging is easy in the app as everything is well designed with lots of excellent visual queues. We were able to take an existing project, import it and have it working in less than 30 minutes.

What do you dislike?

The size and memory. Any time you do development no matter how small, xcode takes up a large memory and hard drive footprint. Most modern computers have adequate storage but I would make sure that if you are doing development that you have enough RAM and Hard drive space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an excellent tool. Although it takes time to install, it is worth it in the end. It's a full featured IDE.

We were able to quickly deploy an iOS app from partner code quickly using XCode. All the project components were inside the project which made it easy to import. We were able to take this code, iterate on it and develop further enhancements without a lot of time wasted on familiarizing ourselves with the environment.

Xcode review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"XCode is definitely heading the right way!"

What do you like best?

I really like the UI, it is very neat. I like how there is plenty of documentation for swift programming language even though it's a new programming language. I like how you can drag and drop objects into the storyboards. I like how easy it is to test projects in simulators and real devices.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the constant crashes XCode has, also the all the setup it requires for provisional profiles, setting up teams, signing a certificate. Also, XCode is limited to Apple products only it would be nice if XCode could be used to develop products for devices other than apple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My personal recommendation is, if you want to build a native iOS app, XCode is the way to go!

We are developing iOS apps for surveying crews in the pipeline industry. The benefit of having an iPad or iPhone and report in real-time while onsite is a tremendous asset to our company. We are able to run analytics and show real-time progress.

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Good but crashes frequently"

What do you like best?

The storyboard interface for designing UX / UI is very intuitive. I have never had an issue with he design and it is very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Xcode commonly crashes and is the only platform that can be used for iOS development. The debugging is still very difficult compared to the Android Studio IDE. I also wish Xcode universally supported SVG images. There is a work-around for this, but they are not supported in the assets folder which is extremely annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is a great platform once you learn the shortcomings and quick fixes to its quirks. I have been using it for about 4 or 5 years so I know how to find the issues quicker, but someone who has just started might find it intimidating.

Releasing iOS applications for iphones, ipads, and tvOS products.

Xcode review by Chad H.
Chad H.

"Xcode. This is 100% needed for any iOS or Mac app development."

What do you like best?

Very similar to PhpStorm IDE I use for most my development I like many unique features like the iOS simulator you can use to test your iOS apps right on the Mac you are developing on. A quick build and run of the simulator you can test things like screen orientation, location testing (even the message bar at the top), shaking effects, etc. This way it is easy to view and debug if needed what parts of the code are causing heavy memory usage or if a crash happens, why.

The UI creator is really neat and easy to use to build basic iOS menus and navigations.

What do you dislike?

Some of the UI can be a bit confusing and complex. This Mac app is feature rich and can be very intimidating if you don't know what some functions are. Even after learning the basics it still feels heavy and complex; as it is. I wish there were more plugins available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode being a free product that comes with Mac it's a no-brainer to at least try it out. The Apple iOS program costs a yearly fee but with the iPhone/iPad simulator built in it makes it easy to develop without needing to be subscribed.

Starting to use this is college Xcode has certainly improved a ton. I use it mostly nowadays to update, test, and debug some mac apps. Easily add features and test, set breakpoints, and debug really helps with development speed and deploying new and improved code.

Xcode review by Jackie C.
Jackie C.

"Xcode works great and is regularly updated "

What do you like best?

Xcode is frequently updated so the Python code I use doesn't break and remains stable. It is easy to update from both the App store and the command line. I like that there is a helpful GUI for demo purposes, but I can edit and use everything from the command line, since programming is a large part of my job. It also makes SSH'ing with a GUI very easy.

What do you dislike?

Xcode can be a little confusing as to what version it's running or what program it actually consists of, because there are a lot of different dependencies. A lot of programs, like DS9, run Xcode in the background and multiple icons pop up when you start the program, so that seems a bit extraneous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update it as often as updates come out because Python specifically can throw fatal errors when Xcode is out of date. I would recommend using it from the command line for the most part, and also look into using it as a display environment when ssh'ing to another computer.

My job involves a lot of Python coding in the command line as well as visual representations of data using Xcode-based programs like DS9. I have also used it as a display environment when ssh'ing to remote computers which I do frequently. Xcode makes coding in between computer networks effortless and has streamlined my coding quite a bit.

Xcode review by User in Higher Education

"Not only an IDE for iOS development, but the best editor for Mac"

What do you like best?

I did use sublime for sometime. But eventually, I moved back to Xcode for general code editing. Because it's not too sophisticated like the former one.

Now to the main part, Xcode is an integrated tool for Mac and iOS development. It is full featured for both Objective C and Swift and allows easy deployment to both device and simulator.

The best feature in my opinion is the test driven development.

What do you dislike?

The file management in the IDE is somewhat messed up. The changes that we make in the project directory using Finder does not reflect and create issues in the project build.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend more time with this tool and you will love it. Mac is all about being simple and fast.

I have used Xcode to build apps for my freelance business. As iPhone is a major mobile platform and Xcode is the only available tool for developing apps for this platform, so obviously there is no other option but to use it.

Xcode review by Jesus Adolfo R.
Jesus Adolfo R.

"Excellent features not great experience"

What do you like best?

Built in simulator, easy to go. By installing XCode you can start programming almost right away. Not only that but it comes with a bunch of built in features such as Instruments, simulator, interface builder.

What do you dislike?

Very buggy and inefficient using system resources. If you are planning to be productive using XCode, you better have a pretty good mac with enough system resources (mainly RAM and CPU). Also the IDE crashes a lot. Another thing I dislike is how sometimes the IDE stops indexing and then your IDE becomes somewhat unusable as you lose the ability inspect code easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need a lot of patience when using XCode.

Building, debugging and testing iOS applications.

Xcode review by Oriol V.
Oriol V.

"Lo mejor y lo peor"

What do you like best?

Muy practico y sencillo de usar, es bastante completo y facil para aprender.

Junta diseño y programación

Intuititvo

What do you dislike?

Tiempos de carga lentos, se congela bastante.

Difícil en algunos aspectos, cuesta bastante escribir y que no se congele, escribo lineas de codigo y le cuesta no congelarse.

Gasta mucha memoria RAM

Recommendations to others considering the product

Usalo para programar en iOS, es un buen programa, supongo que a la larga mejorará el producto para el consumidor!

Llevo 1 año de experiencia y estoy muy a gusto, aunque a veces se medio congele, muy conforme.

Conseguí crear una app, y ahora estoy desarrollando algunas más.

Xcode review by Andrew F.
Andrew F.

"Test and create applications for mac and ios"

What do you like best?

Xcode offers a series of tools for the creation of applications and software for Mac, its interface helps a lot and the support for different devices is excellent, it also has different emulators to see how it develops in real time.

What do you dislike?

It can only be used with Mac equipment, besides it has to be a computer with excellent requirements since it consumes many recuersos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a tool for programming mac, so be sure to investigate a little about the subject before using it.

It is indispensable to create and debug applications for Ios.

Xcode review by Ben L.
Ben L.

"Xcode: Super complex, IDE. Does everything you need and more?"

What do you like best?

Love some of the hidden features of Xcode especially on the debugging side. View hierarchy visualization is key to debugging animations and view transition issues. Conditional breakpoints and logging breakpoints are lightweight techniques for watching control flow happen. Additionally, while the interface builder piece can be complex, the ability to build advanced interfaces in the IDE is awesome. Lastly, the fact that it is free is a huge boon to those in education, exploring app building for the first time, or work on not for profit projects.

What do you dislike?

Xcode is huge. It's a 5 GB download every single time Apple releases a .X release of iOS or macOS. It's also super complex with lots of functionality hidden behind tiny icons that float in weird corners. It's also not the most extensible IDE in the world, only allowing extensions in very few cases. Lastly, it tends to be screen real-estate hungry and is increasingly difficult to run on a 13" MacBookPro (although running in fullscreen mode marginally improves this problem).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't look for alternatives, Xcode is the right choice every time.

I've used Xcode (and before that when it was named Project Builder) for almost 20 years. I've built apps for Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's an all-around mature and full-featured IDE in which you can build any app that you can conceive of. It has good code completion and great key commands. It allows teams to efficiently build apps from the hobbyist level all the way up to the large enterprise level.

Xcode review by Jack M.
Jack M.

"Learning Curve but Useful"

What do you like best?

I really used the iOS simulator the most, which comes with XCode. It made development on an iPhone when I didn't have one handy incredibly simple, and it was easy to figure out. Also, there are a lot of helpful support platforms on Apple's forums whereby you can figure out problems relatively quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve to XCode in general. If you're coming from a JavaScript background where all you know is a text editor and a browser, XCode has a lot to offer but can be tricky to navigate. I was developing in React Native and trying to get a valid iOS build out the door, but what with the confusion of signing up in the Apple Developer portal and linking your account, signing apps, etc, the documentation could be much better. Once you figure it out, though, everything's pretty useful.

XCode helped my team create react-native app builds, and to test continually what updates to our product would do to the user interface. The benefits are that we could test without having everyone download the test app to their phones; the Simulator was a huge help and we didn't have to purchase ten iPhones to test on different devices.

Xcode review by Millie H.
Millie H.

"Great way to write code in C"

What do you like best?

This was incredibly helpful for writing code in C. With the help of a tutor, XCode was easy to work with and very straightforward. Also, it is very Apple device-friendly since you can get it in the App store.

What do you dislike?

Although XCode made it simple to code, there were a few drawbacks, such as not having a help button if I got stuck. I would always have to utilize the internet to find a function to use. This would have been helpful in many instances and I know another program, MATLAB, that will give you suggestions on how to debug the code. If there is an error in XCode, you are alone to solve it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

XCode is a platform in which you are able to code in C offline. If you must be away from wifi for any reason, this is a great software to use.

XCode used to code in C programming. Although there are websites that also have the same service, you are able to use XCode offline.

Xcode review by Richard R.
Richard R.

"All the tools you need to develop your next iOS app."

What do you like best?

As anybody that develops apps for iOS, Xcode is your main suite for software development for the platform. It is relatively easy to navigate compared to some other IDEs I have worked with. Being able to get around the IDE is vital to being productive and efficient.

Being designed by the platform manufacture, the IDE is better tuned to its environment than something like a C language which could be developed on one platform with the intent of operating in environments of varying specification.

What do you dislike?

Nested StackViews took some getting used to but once I got used to its intricacies for layout control, it turned out to be pretty handy.

Sometimes the experience and knowledge of Apply products is assumed by the creators of the IDE. Often times I have had to research a core functional specification of the hardware platform in order to create some blocks of code.

Some third party content can be hard to use without additional adjustments.

As an app author, I often work with people to find solutions for their control environments. The ability to tweak an app for a specific need is pretty easy to do in Xcode then roll it out for testing and release.

Xcode review by KAUSHIK S.
KAUSHIK S.

"Xcode an ideal for ios development"

What do you like best?

My most loved thing about Xcode is that it is engaged. Time after time improvement programming tries too be everything to all individuals, causing steady disappointment. In any case, XCode knows it's identity for. On the off chance that I am on a Mac, and I open XCode, it is clear I need to create Mac/iOS based programming . I don't need to battle nature to dispense with cruft to carry out the activity. It remains clean and enables me to open just the apparatuses I think about, when I think about them, and I welcome that.

What do you dislike?

Nested StackViews took some getting used to yet once I got used to its complexities for design control, it ended up being quite convenient.

In some cases the experience and learning of Apply items is expected by the makers of the IDE. Regularly I have needed to investigate a center useful detail of the equipment stage keeping in mind the end goal to make a few pieces of code.

Some outsider substance can be difficult to use without extra alterations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the event that you need to make iOS applications you basically need to utilize Xcode.The enormous news is that is free, considering the "custom" of iOS and OS X (Apple) to charge us for every last one of the genuinely helpful applications you need to introduce, it is a vital progress.

The advantages I see is that Xcode is Apple's across the board coordinated advancement condition, offering cutting edge highlights like a graphical interface developer and a punctuation mindful and compiler-mindful source manager.

Xcode review by Mack H.
Mack H.

"Strong code editor that works great for swift"

What do you like best?

Xcode's clean design and good set of helpful features makes it one of the greatest IDEs around for editing code at the moment, especially swift.

What do you dislike?

While the features Xcode implements work flawlessly, it feels like there are more features they could implement which would be very useful such as better code generation tools like we see in JetBrains products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is a strong editor which implements the features it supports very well. Understand that feature set and you'll be good to go!

Trying to build out software solutions using swift for mobile apps.

Xcode review by Ryan M.
Ryan M.

"Great for iOS development, but not my goto editor."

What do you like best?

Xcode is required for iOS development and they are doing a great job of improving it. The support for visualizing cod with storyboards is great. It seeds up development being able to connect code visually. Xcode 9 also greatly improves the ability to jump to the definition of a method and improves the Open Quickly dialog which I use all the time.

Its support for Git has gotten much better as well. As long as you are doing simple commits and pushes it does well. For everything else, I continue to go to the command line.

If you are working with Objective-C or Swift, I highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

Xcode 9 continues the Xcode legacy with having the occasional problem. Trying to look up the Class Reference for a standard library class no longer works. Occasionally the compiler will stop running during development so that autocomplete stops working. And in storyboards, there is still an issue with the file changing when you've just opened it up since it recalculates all the constraints. It leaves a lot to be desired in the polish. Wireless debugging doesn't work reliably for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You know when you'll need to use it. It works well, just bookmark Stack Overflow if you have any questions. Also, take the time to learn hotkeys and to customize them to fit your needs. There is a lot in Xcode that can be customized (scripts to run when you build, which views show up when a build fails/runs, what happens when a test fails, etc). Watch the WWDC videos about Xcode and you'll pick up new tricks/improvements each time.

I do a lot of iOS development and Xcode is essential in development and deployment of my project.

Xcode review by Alin D.
Alin D.

"Xcode a ide perfect for ios programming"

What do you like best?

The capacity to work for numerous stages like ios, osx just to give some examples with next to zero outside instrument required.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit terrorizing for beginners. Such a significant number of things become possibly the most important factor on start up, you don't realize what will be what and its in that spot gazing back at you with insufficient insight

Recommendations to others considering the product

While progressive discharges have enhanced the execution and unwavering quality fundamentally, Xcode has far to go on the off chance that it is going for unseating its adversary, the brilliant Appcode.

Storyboards are inclined to breaking, case I had an undertaking that I pushed to Git and when I re-opened it the storyboard format was a wreck (in any case despite everything it aggregated with the right imperatives), a blunder like this would keep me from having the capacity to add to the storyboard.

Xcode review by Harish G.
Harish G.

"Xcode the best IDE for iOS Development"

What do you like best?

The UI is extremely good with the new version streamlining the product even more. The auto suggestion of fixes, the UI for storyboard are very good. The latest wireless debugging is excellent feature.

What do you dislike?

Xcode crashes mostly and it takes a lot of memory and processing speed making computers slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the only IDE available out there to develop iOS applications and Apple sure knows how to cater to the needs of the developers. I recommend using system with high configuration as Xcode tends to take a lot of space and RAM.

iOS Development. This is the best IDE for mobile development

Xcode review by Miguel Ángel B.
Miguel Ángel B.

"Mejor y única herramienta para desarrollar apps nativas"

What do you like best?

está disponible de forma gratuita en la Mac App Store, y es una opción ideal para los desarrolladores que están trabajando en el siempre creciente mercado de aplicaciones para Mac, iPhone y iPad. Las ventanas dentro de XCode funcionan como espacios de trabajo o workspaces, y lo bueno es que podemos “personalizarlo” para que se adapte a la forma en la que queremos trabajar: puede contener un simple editor de texto, así como un editor gráfico, una librería multimedia, y un debugger, entre otras cosas.

What do you dislike?

Tiene una menor flexibilidad respecto a sus competidores . Su comunidad no es tan grande como la de Android y no es de código abierto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Llevar su desarrollo a otras plataformas como podría ser Windows o linux.

Implementación en entornos de desarrollo

Xcode review by Prabin T.
Prabin T.

"Xcode getting better in terms of testing"

What do you like best?

The IDE is very clean. Working with GUI design is easy (Drag and drop). It also provides good tools for debugging and analyzing memory usages. With XCode 8, the testing framework got much better. UI testing and better reporting mechanism are now available. It is also easy to hook it up to your own CI server using xcode server. Building a project is much faster (compared to android) from my own experience. Embedded source control is also available if you want to use it.

What do you dislike?

I am using Xcode side by side with Android Studio and I must say that Android Studio (intelliJ) has much more integrated tools than XCode. In Xcode, I could not find a way to navigate to a failed test by clicking on stacktrace. Refactoring a variable is not supported yet in Swift in Xcode. Another annoying thing is that it opens same file more than once instead of just re-navigating to the already open one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since Xcode is the recommended IDE for ios development, I would say stick to it. There are IDEs like Xamarin which are great but you may encounter problems during swift updates. Xcode is getting better with each build. More features are being added.

We are using xcode to build a messaging application. We are using 100% swift but xcode supports ObjectiveC as well. With each updates in Swift, xcode automatically updates our code which is very helpful feature. Xcode also provides many versions of ios simulator and thus testing is much robust. Sometimes we need to build opensource projects such as Couchbase lite viewer and xcode takes care easily if the code version is out of date.

Xcode review by Jose Efrain P.
Jose Efrain P.

"good application"

What do you like best?

The integration with many tools is the best part of the system, it has many tools and works very well, perhaps one of the best things of the application is that you have at hand most of the tools I need

La integracion con muchas herramientas es la mejor parte del sistema, tiene muchas herramientas y funciona muy bien, quizas una de las mejores cosas de la aplicacion es que permita tener a la mano la mayoria de las herramientas que necesito

What do you dislike?

It is quite complicated for a novice developer, has so many things that at first it costs to adapt to it

Es bastante complicada para un desarrollador novato, tiene tantas cosas que al principio cuesta adaptarse a ella

Recommendations to others considering the product

It would be good to translate the tool

Seria bueno traducir la herramienta

to develop and test app for IOS and MAC OSX

poder desarrollar y probar app para IOS y MAC OSX

Xcode review by Xavier M.
Xavier M.

"Best iOS Development tool"

What do you like best?

- Perfomance. It's just incredible how well optimized is this tool. You don't need the lastest Mac to achieve the best performance.

- The UI appearance.

- The visual editor. You can design the views with drag and drop options, it's super easy!

What do you dislike?

- At first it may look a bit difficult to use.

- When developing some network functionalities, you won't be able to test it with the iOS simulator. You will need an iOS phone/tablet.

- Only available in Macs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When developing some network functionalities like notifications, be aware that you won't be able to test it unless you have an iOS device. You'll need also a MAC because is not a multiplatform tool.

I developed an iOS app with Xcode. I was amazed.

Xcode review by Alessandro O.
Alessandro O.

"Xcode is great - but with some bugs"

What do you like best?

- It is fast, compared to some heavy Java based IDE

- It's deeply integrated with Mac and iOS development, so if that is your environment, it is almost a must

- iOS simulator works great and it is fast, even if it lacks some features

- Autocompletion is amazing

What do you dislike?

- Seems to be still a work in progress when you write Swift code: from time to time the SourceKit server crashes (it is the software that handles code completion and syntax highlight), it's slower compared to Objective-C code, and it still lacks some tools like refactoring.

- You can use it almost for just Swift, Objective-C and C/C++. There is no real support for other languages.

- Even if Xcode 8 has real extensions, it still lacks a true plugins architecture

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only alternative I know as an IDE is AppCode. Never used it, but since Xcode is produced by Apple, that is the same manufacturer of iOS and macOS, I see really few reasons to not use the tool written by Apple itself.

It is almost the only choice for iOS development. Since I'm an iOS developer, I deeply embraced it for all my workflow and I feel natural in it.

Xcode review by Nick K.
Nick K.

"Powerful, Sometimes two steps forward/one back"

What do you like best?

Only a small learning curve to be able to get up and running. At the core of Apple development, there's obviously strong community support from which to derive answers to nearly all troubleshooting needs.

What do you dislike?

Not always as backward-compatible as I'd like between major upgrades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before upgrading to a new release, do thorough testing and diligence in terms of researching compatibility issues with all sub-projects used in your application.

Otherwise, as with any dev tool, sit back, relax, and read the docs! It will only assuage the degree of troubleshooting difficulty down the road.

Developing for iOS.

Xcode review by Jeannette H.
Jeannette H.

"Xcode"

What do you like best?

Xcode is free and gives the ability to create applications for many different platforms in one place with a preview.

What do you dislike?

Xcode is free but in order to produce Apple applications, big or small, you have to pay a fee, which is not mentioned in the programs discription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is not the easiest to use application, however there is courses available in the App Store free to download that make it much easier to use and understand. I recomment making sure that the payout is going to be worth the profit if you are planning on producing Apple apps, the program itself is free but there is a fee to putting your apps on the App Store.

Xcode does not solve any solutions for me at this time, however it does put a few possiblities on the table for future projects.

Xcode review by Ishan s.
Ishan s.

"XCode: The best interactive IDE"

What do you like best?

XCode is the only IDE for mac OS, iOS and watch OS development. It is very fast in detecting errors and warnings. It has the auto suggest option which is one of the best features. The interface is so much interactive that even a layman can understand where to find what

What do you dislike?

Using instruments is a bit confusing for beginners.

I have been designing enterprise and consumer apps. It helps in building iOS app with ease. The ide is very intuitive and user friendly.

Xcode review by Mian B.
Mian B.

"perfect for my IOS applications development."

What do you like best?

since IOS has a large users community and I used to develop games and apps for windows only, I realized that I needed to do something in this field also, I was recommended by a friend of mine to use Xcode and I never regret it.

What do you dislike?

there is nothing I dislike about Xcode. its developers have done an incredible job

Recommendations to others considering the product

for IOS software development it's kind of like essential.

I am making good money by making apps and It is very helpful with debugging.

Xcode review by David L.
David L.

"The worst IDE that you're stuck with"

What do you like best?

They did a decent job of integrating documentation into the interface. With the doc pane open, I get the docs for anything that I highlight.

What do you dislike?

Just about everything else. Xcode is buggy and crashes all the time. Every upgrade means that they disable all of the plugins that make Xcode almost a usable editor and my productivity in Xcode is terrible compared to the other editors that I use like Vim and Atom. Apple forces you into Xcode if you want to write Obj-C or Swift based applications rather than supporting a developers choice to use tools that make them more productive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have to use it, don't use it.

I have been contracted to write a number of iOS applications in Swift. Unfortunately, Xcode is the only IDE that I can do that in.

Xcode review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Necessary for iOS/tvOS/macOS development"

What do you like best?

Enables one to build iOS/tvOS/macOS applications. Interface builder allows one to quickly build up the interface for any application.

Incredible static analysis, excellent memory leak and dead code detection.

What do you dislike?

Nothing is explained, documentation is thorough but extremely verbose.

Can be very frustrating trying to find out exactly what has broken a build.

Difficult to automate tasks.

Can crash a lot.

Does not come with a built in package manager, must use Cocoapods.

Does not come with a built in method to add plugins to provide additional functionality, must use Carthage manually.

Very resource intensive program.

Not clear at all which Xcode-centric config files should be committed to Git and which contain only user-relevant config data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While successive releases have improved the performance and reliability significantly, Xcode has a long way to go if it is aiming at unseating its rival, the excellent Appcode.

Building & testing iOS/tvOS/macOS applications.

Use the simulator for testing websites in Safari.

Xcode review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"An essential IDE for mac and ios developers and useful for testing mobile web apps"

What do you like best?

The IDE has some useful features to help you test web applications on iOS emulators and of course once you start to think about writing a native application you have swift and objective-c at your fingertips and all you need to push your native app to the app store.

What do you dislike?

It is quite a large application. A very visual studio like in terms of size and of course every major version of iTunes or hardware release means you have to download the new application. XCode is also a dependancy on other tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can always use Xamarin and other IDE's to develop native software but if you want the true supported apple way of doing things then XCode is the way forward.

It is great for testing web applications on a variety of ios and mac screens.

Xcode review by Aishwarya Pratap S.
Aishwarya Pratap S.

"Extremely clinical IDE"

What do you like best?

The control it provides the user despite carrying a non -cluttered look. "Debug view hierarchy" is the coolest feature.

What do you dislike?

The fact that they got rid of XCode pluggins which made life so easy for a developer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

XCode has tons of features waiting to be explored. Playground, instruments when used as an extension to xcode development, can bring out a wonderful result.

Creating mobile applications. It provides a great way to create applications quickly and provides additional tools to look at the memory management, performance statistics of the app.

Xcode review by Alon R.
Alon R.

"Xcode has a steep learning curve but is the easiest/best/only(?) way to make iOS app and publish it"

What do you like best?

I like that it has storyboards and UI elements that are built in. This is a full IDE for building iOS apps, made by Apple, so you know you have something good here. The docs are also good.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how different coding feels from most IDE environments. It doesn't feel like something you could play around in and figure out completely on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is necessary for native iOS apps, and also looks good on the resume as opposed to wrappers like Ionic/Cordova, etc.

Making iOS apps. Everything is mobile nowadays so this is essential.

Xcode review by Administrator in Computer Hardware
Administrator in Computer Hardware

"Excellent IDE for Applciation Development"

What do you like best?

Xcode allows me to develop any applications ranging from Mobile to Digital Signage Applications just like that. I like the user interface, support and it's beautiful dark mode theme. With Xcode we can create amazing applications for all Apple platforms. I just love it!

What do you dislike?

I have noticed few minor bugs that Apple tend to rectify with each release anyways but sometimes it's frustrating to see Xcode crash/ restart when I am in middle of something important.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent IDE for Mac/iOS Development

I developed many Mac/iOS applications using Xcode and the benefits include the ease of use with the integrated development environment and it's architecture especially. I would say this is the best IDE for Mac/iOS development.;

Xcode review by Mazen  A.
Mazen A.

"Xcode making User Interface Design Fun!"

What do you like best?

I loved how intuitive the drag and drop is on the storyboard design

how it integrates with the iOS simulator, it works really well

What do you dislike?

live debugging sometimes significantly slows down the program.

it takes a little bit to get used to, but when you do it works like a charm

can not apply source code modification without rebuilding the application

Mobile Development. working with a good IDE that allows native development makes the development process much faster & more efficient

Xcode review by Philip B.
Philip B.

"Wonderful / intemidating"

What do you like best?

The ability to build for multiple platforms like ios, osx just to name a few with little or no external tool needed.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit intimidation for first timers. So many things come into play on start up, you don't know what is what and its right there staring back at you with not enough hint

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's pretty cool for development, but daunting for first timers. You need to spend more time with it before you can get the hang of it, but once your past that its pretty straight forward.

Building mobile apps for the app store i.e ios.

It's been cool, especially working with swift as opposed to objective-c

Xcode review by Ami B.
Ami B.

"Easy to use interface"

What do you like best?

The storyboard is a seamless and easy to use tool to quickly layout your views. This is an area the Apple is constantly striving to improve and it is clear that with every iteration it gets better. In addition, I also find it very easy to use the asset catalog, uploading images and graphics in bulk is very easy.

What do you dislike?

Code signing in Xcode is a pain and it always has been. We have two teams for enterprise and app store releases and ensuring that we are signing on the correct team, have the correct provisioning profiles, etc is a pain. I believe this is getting better over the years, but it is still the most time consuming process for us especially when we are switching so often between our teams for all of our apps.

In addition, I would like to see Xcode greatly improve the errors while debugging and crash reports. At this time, it is very difficult to determine what caused your app to crash without stepping through each point, I would like to see a better explanation immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Xcode for both iOS development in addition to other development with this IDE. It is very easy to use and allows for both a light and dark mode depending on your own personal preference.

Xcode provides a seamless tool to develop iOS applications. Xcode, in my opinion, is the best tool for iOS development and you ensure that the product looks great for iOS rather than trying to take the easier route of a single code base where the OS specific apps then lack.

Xcode review by Benjamin P.
Benjamin P.

"Powerful IDE for apps and more"

What do you like best?

XCode offers the best for developing simple UI apps on iOS and Mac platform.

What do you dislike?

XCode is kind of a beast. It can crash, getting slow or freezes once in a while. This happens rarely though but can be really annoying and always gives you the feeling of an unfinished product. It is necessary to upgrade your Mac from time to time to be compatible with latest XCode updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to iOS and Mac development give Xcode a try. Especially creating UI views is extremely easy.

We develop and test apps for iOS using XCode.

Xcode review by User in Research
User in Research

"Xcode is super useful!"

What do you like best?

Xcode is easy to use straight away, which I am a big fan of! The "playground" feature is a fun way to explore new ideas. I like the project structure, and how easy it is to actually make an app for an Apple device!

What do you dislike?

The augmented reality features really could be better, which is what I'm interested in. Other than that, it seems to work really well! Obviously, you can only use it for specific situations, and I'm not a fan of the swift language, but you can use Objective-C instead if you'd prefer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, easy to get started! Love it.

I am creating applications. This is a huge commercial benefit, obviously! I love that you can make cross-platform apps easily!

Xcode review by Shobhit P.
Shobhit P.

"Overall good but too slow many times"

What do you like best?

- I like how it handles/organizes assets/images.

- I like auto layout and how one can design layouts.

- iPhone simulators are fast.

What do you dislike?

- It can get damn slow as the project size increases.

- The storyboard changes even without moving anything. Huge storyboards are also slow and cumbersome to maintain.

- Simulators don't seem to have some features like Camera etc. They can use Mac camera.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not sure if there is an alternative for coding iOS apps yet but would be helpful to consider that.

Develop iOS app for our product using Swift.

Xcode review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"OK IDE - efficient simulations"

What do you like best?

I really like that the simulations are not as resource hungry as they are with the Android Studio IDE. The application performs really well with iOS app simulations.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the presentation of all configurations and the inflexibility of the IDE. It is very Apple-esque in the approach to customizations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best IDE for iOS development - despite the inflexibility of customization.

I use it to test my company's SDKs that are released to developers. I am not a strong iOS or swift programmer but it is effective based on my n00b experience.

Xcode review by Avery C.
Avery C.

"Great tool that is stable and does its job"

What do you like best?

The IDE is great in Xcode, a very neat and clean design all the way through. It has all the necessary tools and useful features for app developing across all the platforms, like tvOS, watchOS, iOS. It has an awesome simulator that can simulate all the Apple devices. Its a tool that works well and easy to pickup.

What do you dislike?

It requires a Developer licence to send the built to the App Store, which is rather expensive and only lasts for a year. Moreover, the compatibility of Xcode is also an issue as it is limited to the latest OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode remains the only reliable and best solution for app developing on Apple's platform. Despite the price tag of the developer license, the application itself is free and it is useful for debugging and everything is there except the ability to send it to the app store.

It translates almost everything from the drawing board into an actual functioning app. As it is an all in one package, it is less likely to have bugs.

Xcode review by User in Semiconductors
User in Semiconductors

"An excellent platform to develop iOS apps"

What do you like best?

It has fantastic error detection and makes it very easy to debug your code. I write in Swift using Xcode, and write for iOS/watchOS/tvOS. iPhone/iPad simulators for running your code are incredibly convenient. CocoaPods also allow you to easily expand your code's libraries with "packages" of code, either in Obj-C or Swift. Storyboard design is great since you can easily add different views and using buttons you can easily control IBActions to segue between different views/screens of an application. Constraints for allowing your apps to automatically adjust to screen size/display elements differently speed up the development process.

What do you dislike?

In Xcode 9, it's not clear how to link a Bitbucket account for git repository commits, but it is possible. There's only options for Github in the UI but you can ignore the Github references and account login to commit code versions to a git repository on Bitbucket. I've seen in Xcode 10's beta that there is native integration for Bitbucket and Gitlab however.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get to know the software and its shortcuts, it will make developing a breeze. You can also download an app called Cheat Sheets to view all the shortcuts at any time by holding down the Command key. There are many features that help you immensely, but they are scattered throughout all the different sections of the IDE so you should definitely familiarize yourself with the UI before dedicating all your resources to Xcode.

I program iOS apps for my contracting company as well as my own personal development company. The features Xcode has cuts down on my development time by an insane amount. I mentioned these reasons in what I like best. I've released many apps to clients, all developed with Xcode. If I had to pick two main benefits, it would be having simulator hardware to make use of and constraints to have auto layout depending on device screen size.

Xcode review by User

"Best option for iOS development"

What do you like best?

Everything you need for developing on Apple platforms is included. It really takes some time to get experienced with the IDE and learn enough shortcuts to make your development time efficient.

What do you dislike?

Xcode typically has some major flaw with each major version update. Uploading a build to the App Store is also very tedious as they don't provide any sort of built in automation and if there are any issues with your build you have to sit through the entire upload process in order to receive information about what failed.

It's the most efficient IDE to use for iOS development and its free (granted you'll be paying a developer fee to Apple in order to develop apps on their platforms).

"Best Swift IDE"

What do you like best?

We can emulate all the ios devices. It is useful the option of see the application desing in 3D, this option is great to see if any layer have a problem.

What do you dislike?

How the errors appears when you compile, some times we have to clean the project. XCode it's the first software that has freeze my iMac. I think that they can improve how the storyboards are showed on the IDE

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best IDE to develop Apple products. At the beginning may be difficult to adapt to its use, but when you understand XCode, develop with it it's a great experience.

Resign applications, develop new applications using Swift. Whe have developed applications for iPad and iPhone. It's easy to configure diferents enviroments to test de application using development, preproduction or production API. With the use of CocoaPods we have a lot of great functionalities developed for us, and are easy to use.

We can emulate all types of ipad & iphone, diferents versions of iOS and see how the design it's adapted to any kind of screen.

Xcode review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Needs large storage capacity, eats all ram"

What do you like best?

- Needed to build iOS/MacOS apps.

- Includes all simulators, it helps to test your apps and make sure it works properly.

- Great for debugging with instruments

- Playground feature is awesome you can test your classes or methods live

- Betas! you are able to join the Apple Beta program to have access to previous version of iOS/MacOS version and with them you can also get an Xcode beta preview version and start having access to all new features.

If you want to build Apple apps you need Xcode, no matter what kind of reviews you read, good or bad, there is no better way to build an app than Native. To do so, you need Xcode.

What do you dislike?

- Eats all your ram! you need a high-end mac to run as you wish

- Takes a long time to load storyboards

- Basically it is slow

- Autocomplete is just stupid, sometimes it doesn't help

- Syntax Highlighter sometimes doesn't work

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a high-end MacBook pro with retina display with more than 16g of Ram.

It does eat your memory, you would need a lot of processing power.

In case you don't have that kind of power expect slow processing and build times.

We are a web and development shop that builds native iOS application, therefore we use Xcode to build our iOS native apps.

Xcode review by Paul C.
Paul C.

"Xcode lets you write Mac OS and iOS apps"

What do you like best?

Xcode lets me create Mac OS and iOS apps. It can also serve as a code-aware visual editor, even if I am writing shell scripts. It includes built-in simulators of various iPhone models with different versions of iOS installed. Xcode has built-in links to Apple's documentation so I can look up an API or a feature of the code quickly and easily. The storyboard functionality allows me to create a quick prototype of the screen flow in my apps.

What do you dislike?

The provisioning of an iOS app for the Apple App Store has gotten better, but it is still inconsistent. When a new version of Xcode is released, it is a large download (typically) and additional large downloads for simulators and documentation are usually required. The simulator sometimes gets "confused" and needs to be restarted. The simulator is also, no surprise, very processor-intensive and so works better on a faster machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free to download, so download it and try it out. Be sure to download it when you have a little time or when you are on a fast connection as the initial download is several gigabytes and the simulators and documentation are several more.

Xcode lets me create iOS applications and post them to the Apple App Store. Once in the App Store, the apps are available for purchase/download. Xcode also allows me to tap into testing tools to inspect the code, to look at the behaviors of the code when running, and to debug and look for errors.

Xcode review by David G.
David G.

"Una herramienta bien pensada para desarrolladores"

What do you like best?

Al principio puede parecer que tiene muchas opciones y se hace algo difícil de usar, pero realmente tiene una curva de aprendizaje muy exponencial y se hace muy sencillo, te das cuenta que esta todo donde debería estar

What do you dislike?

En algunas ocasiones tarda mucho en generar un ipa, pero solo eso

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es una herramienta muy bien creada, merece la pena probarla, incluso como editor de texto

Es la única herramienta para desarrollar aplicaciones para dispositivos apple

Xcode review by Justin G.
Justin G.

"Xcode gives you the freedom to create what you've always dreamt about"

What do you like best?

Xcode gives you the ability to do cross platform coding, whether for iOS, MacOS, WatchOS, etc. While the application itself is substantial in size and complexity, there are multiple tutorials available online. The learning curve can be steep, but the Xcode interface has an intuitive build meant to aid users.

What do you dislike?

Xcode can be complex and burdensome in some instances. Online tutorials are very helpful in these instances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have an good understanding of what you are trying to implement and on what platform.

Mobile app debugging for iPhone.

Xcode review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"XCode Review for Mobile Development"

What do you like best?

XCode makes it very easy to start out to develop IOS applications. The "Hello World" applications are very easy to create even for non developer types.

What do you dislike?

Xcode is incredibly difficult to get the certificate signing to work. This causes many issues when trying to deploy and test your application. In addition you cannot use Xcode to develop for any other platform besides IOS and Swift. You cannot user the IDE for anything else. This is a closed system. I also found issuse with the system crashing if not updated properly. This caused numerous hour to be lost debuggings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this only if you are building IOS applications only

We were able to develop mobile IOS and Ipad applications with this tool

Xcode review by Mike C.
Mike C.

"Xcode gets the job done."

What do you like best?

Xcode is a decent IDE. When it's working properly, the code completion is useful.

What do you dislike?

Code completion breaks more way more often than it should. When that breaks, there's not much advantage to using Xcode. Usually, it's broken by code that doesn't compile, but that's what an IDE is supposed to show you how to fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is basically your only option with iOS development. JetBrains makes AppCode which is very familiar if you have used any of their other great IDEs. Unfortunately, this one is probably more trouble than it's worth. In typical Apple fashion, they do their best to keep anyone else from providing something useful on top of their platforms.

It's pretty much the only way to develop for iOS, macOS, etc.

Xcode review by Laurent R.
Laurent R.

"solid IDE for iOS development "

What do you like best?

It is developed officially by Apple so it always is up to date with the latest language features. Developers have access to beta versions, which makes it easy to get accustomed to the new features, especially after Apple's WWDC conference. It now has support for introspecting views at runtime, which helps as applications UI is developed using constraint written in code, which makes it hard to preview the UI in Interface Builder. The Interface Builder is super easy to work with. My favorite way to develop is using the split pane view, which works well, and I have no complaints about he debugger both with the console and the variables Windows.

What do you dislike?

SourceKit crashes often when creating auto layout constraints in code. At first, it bothered me a tiny bit, but as I evolved and wrote more and more constraints in code, I became less productive because of all the crashes. Losing 2 seconds at a time adds up!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get to know the advanced features that will make your life easier, especially with break points and debugging.

I develop applications for iPhones. It can also be used as a text editor for other programming languages.

Xcode review by Nathan S.
Nathan S.

"XCODE FOR SWIFT"

What do you like best?

I really do not like using Xcode. There are better alternatives like AppCode. The one thing that is good is the device emulator. I find myself using this tool quite often. Still you cant really get around using it if you are developing natively. I find myself using the command line tools more than anything else.

What do you dislike?

Lots of things, to start the interface is not very intuitive and I just prefer other IDE's over this. The interface just .feels clunky which is unusual for apple products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will get the job done, but there are better alternatives. You cant really get around using it if you write native apps.

Building mobile applications for clients, working on existing code.

Xcode review by 佳亮 .