Xcode

Xcode 6 introduces a radically new way to design and build software. Swift is an innovative new programming language for Cocoa and Cocoa Touch and, when combined with Xcode tools, makes programming a delightfully live experience. Live rendering within Interface Builder displays your hand-written UI code within the design canvas, instantly reflecting changes you type in code.

Work for Xcode?

Learning about Xcode?

Xcode Reviews

Showing 403 Xcode reviews
Xcode review by <span>Mustafa A.</span>
Mustafa A.

"xcode "

What do you like best?

You may have experienced some words on Google even though you did not remember the exact name or spelling, but you still find the answer.

Just like Google, it automatically completes the entire syntax and indicates its functionality. Recently, I learned JavaScript using Sublime Text Editor. I found Swift more convenient because it does more automatic searching for me. In other words, the only thing I wanted to know was that things existed.

You may have encountered some words that you do not remember.

Just like Google, they complement the brilliance of the whole sentence to their functions. In the last block, I learned JavaScript using the Sublime text editor. I found Swift more convenient and more. In other words, the only thing I wanted to know was that things existed.

What do you dislike?

There are unnecessary restrictions for iOS development such as: You can not use transparent PNG as icons. why not? Transparent icon will be the most beautiful you have on the iPhone main screen! Picture of GIF photos as a launch image in iOS, but this is not possible

Distributing marketing of our business

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Xcode
Xcode review by <span>Brian C.</span>
Brian C.

"XCode and Swift as a language combined make an extremely smooth User Experience"

What do you like best?

The way that front-end development is handled. I believe that swift and Xcode alongside it does an amazing job of decreasing the effort and semantics involved in front end development while maintaining the specificity that CSS provides. Also immediate transfer to an iPhone is extremely convenient for testing of course, especially since it is integrated. The simulator and environment in general is also faster than Android Studio.

What do you dislike?

I could not say I dislike anything in particular about Xcode beyond the fact that is advertised as a one size fits all programming environment which I would say it is not. I would say that on the contrary to my previous assessment that sometimes the simplicity of the UI rendering lends itself to less effective design, but this is outweighed by the option Apple retains of writing the design from scratch rather than through drag and drop features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to read up on the hotkeys and other functionality. It is highly deep as an IDE and enables a lot of additional functionality if you know where to look.

It provides an easy to use app development platform. With a great UI that makes front-end development far simpler for developers. This is definitely advantageous compared to CSS and HTML because of the ability to be less semantic and more efficient with UI and UX creation. By also making UI visualization a key part of the Xcode system it promotes quality development that is fully aware of the look and feel of the application.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Xcode review by <span>Palaniappan M.</span>
Palaniappan M.

"Review"

What do you like best?

I was glad to see the improvements they made on this latest version of Xcode. The LLDB still needs a little work, but it's getting there. Overall, this is a really solid product, and we use it frequently here at our business. As an IDE,Xcode does really well. It does a great job uniting the iOS and OS X toolchain in a single environment, but it does have it's fair share of kinks to work out.

Xcode gives full control of the app, with all the frameworks and libraries ready to be used. There’s a high level of device independence when compared to developing hybrid apps.

What do you dislike?

I wish the IB assistant was a little more solid than it is, and the code completion is erratic from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great review of an incredible programming tool. My only complaint so far is that I can no longer use CMD + B to build my project. Appart from that Xcode has been improving in stability and product quality enormously since it's initial version.

Personally I find the editor window on the build results and such quite a nice addition, as those who don't want it can easily hide it. To me, it is nice to be able to check the error locations within the same window.

A recommended upgrade to those using earlier versions.

Mobile Automation

Xcode review by <span>Brianna L.</span>
Brianna L.

"My favorite IDE"

What do you like best?

I love that Apple has built Xcode to build apps for iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. The functionality of Xcode is quite robust, and it generally does a lot for helping design an app. It has some really wonderful built-in layout features (called auto-layout) for arranging different views on a page in each app. It's very visual and helpful while designing on the storyboard in Xcode.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it feels as if Apple only releases Xcode updates every so often when there are more bugs than I think they probably want. The bugs are usually fixed in incremental updates, but the main updates come every year or so, most commonly to support the latest version of Swift that comes out each year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are only a few other IDEs available for Swift, and Xcode is the best of them all, in my opinion. Apple admins Swift, and they build Xcode to go with that language. It has the most built-in support for the software that developers write with it.

Here we use Xcode to build native apps in Swift. It really is a great tool. I have realized that there are also wonderful source control features built in to manage a git repo and remote, committing and editing commit messages, and managing source control blame.

Xcode review by <span>Salvador V.</span>
Salvador V.

"Intuitive, Efficient and Reliable"

What do you like best?

Xcode provides a straightforward view of making apps for Apple brands. The interface is intuitive and simple for beginners and contains many well-placed menus that make software development a breeze. Having used other software building suites, I have found that Xcode is fine tuned to the macOS operating system. There are hardly any long waits or any updates that are left in limbo. I can't overemphasize the cleanliness of the user interface. The fonts and color schemes are carefully thought out so if you spend 8 hours like me writing code, you're not staring at some poorly designed font.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about Xcode except maybe Apple Watch development. I have found that installing Apple Watch apps takes remarkably more time than iPhone apps because there are no ports on the Apple Watch. It makes you wonder how anyone is patient with the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch tutorials on Youtube, use HackingWithSwift.com

Xcode is a stable software program that has created all our apps. The technologies embedded in it such as Core Data, Swift, UIKit, AVFoundation and many more are really intuitive and do not require lots of study for basic use. The benefits I have realized from Xcode is that my code is easily migrated to the newer iterations of Swift, and that the apps created have been easily modified and debugged.

Xcode review by <span>Maxim A.</span>
Maxim A.

"Essential tool for Mac/iOS development"

What do you like best?

It’s a first class IDE. It might have shortcomings, but you can’t beat Xcode because it comes straight from Apple and it’s as close as it can get when it comes to supporting their SDKs. I haven’t tried other IDEs for Mac in production, as I prefer to rely on first-party solutions and take advantage of preview versions of SDK. Other apps would have to play catch up to support them.

Stellar part of Xcode is Playgrounds. It's a fun and easy way to test ideas and code snippets. I even use it for simple scripting and automating tasks.

What do you dislike?

Overall I’m happy with Xcode as my main working tool, but occasional crashes or obscure minor bugs get me upset sometimes. Such minor bugs are slow to get fixed. It’s understandable, given the scale of the product and more important priorities. On the plus side I can’t think of any major issues with Xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be overwhelming as a first time IDE, but it’s well designed and well organized.

I’m developing Mac apps. Given longterm experience with Xcode and productive familiarity, there’s little reason to even research possible alternatives.

Xcode review by <span>Joe D.</span>
Joe D.

"Xcode is so fun"

What do you like best?

I love that you are able to instantly see your results in the right pane and using the iPhone simulator has a lot of appeals and is easy to use. Also, I love that you can put your app on your physical device for testing purposes and such. The ability to be able to see the errors of your code immediately helps with overall development because it tells you where the error is at specifically and also will not let you run your program if there is a significant error(red), but will also tell you if you have a minor error that should be looked at, but won't stop your program from running. You don't need to sign up for a developer account with Apple until you are absolutely ready to submit your apps, but you can mess around and test your app with no issues and I feel that this is amazing and extremely helpful.

What do you dislike?

At this point, I haven't found much that I don't really like. My overall experience has been very good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! The best thing about Xcode is that it is free. You don't have to pay for anything and you get to start programming immediately.

I am a new swift developer who is using Xcode to practice before I start to make an app for the members of my business. My app is going to help with the ease of customer use when logging into the app with he ability to download and watch videos or get tips and tricks.

Xcode review by <span>Elena R.</span>
Elena R.

"Xcode is a great tool for iOS development"

What do you like best?

I like that Xcode has convenient user interface that allows to have everything I need to develop an app with just one click. I can quickly switch between different tools and hide the ones I don't need at the moment.

What do you dislike?

Xcode IDE is pretty heavy in terms of its size on Mac, it updates quiet slowly and takes a lot of space.

I also don't like that sometimes it can stuck and I have to force quit it.

It happens to crash from time to time without a reason but it looks that it is being improved from version to version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode IDE has everything you need to start developing iOS apps. I recommend using the latest version of Xcode and always stay up to date.

I use Xcode to develop iPhone apps. It was quite easy to start with (comparing to other IDEs) and that is one of the main benefits for me. I love that I can easily arrange files in the project just using drag and drop. And I can say the same about connecting UI controls to code.

I like that it has a very good simulator integrated with it. And it also allows to preview app's design on different devices which is very convenient.

Xcode review by <span>Peter A.</span>
Peter A.

"Creating apps for iOS using Xcode"

What do you like best?

Xcode has improved vastly over time. The best part of it is the way in which you can easily create the UI parts of the app and link them to the code. It is best if you can create a single UI that meets all devices, as that keeps your UI design simpler.

Taking an app from being just local to being for sale on the app store is now much easier than it used to be, with all of the difficult steps now done automatically for you by Xcode.

The ability to create libraries in swift and reuse them is very good, but also somewhat difficult to link in at times, so this can count as both a plus and a minus.

What do you dislike?

If you have to create a different UI for different screen sizes then that can be tricky. Also sometimes Xcode gets confused and you need to reboot to reestablish the connection with your device.

Some errors that you get when developing (especially linker errors) can be very hard to debug.

The problems you can have linking in user created libraries in swift (also see things I like best) is harder to use than it should be and creates excessive problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really the only choice you have if you are developing for iOS and don't want to be reliant on third party solutions.

Creating apps for sale on the Apple app store for both b2b and b2c systems.

Xcode review by <span>Tim T.</span>
Tim T.

"Xcode is good for web design"

What do you like best?

I like how Xcode simplifies everything involved with editing into one software that you can use to create different apps. I also like how Xcode uses the Swift programing language. This makes it easier to use. At first, I thought that it was going to be hard to use because I was not use to it, but it makes app developing a lot easier. It offers a lot of features.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the interface builder at all. The interface builder is suppose to help you design apps without using code, but it seems like you can only use this for basic things. More advanced editing requires you to have a knowledge of coding. The debugger also doesn't catch all of the mistakes and some things that it flags as mistakes are not mistakes at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Xcode a try, but it takes a lot to get use to. Tutorials help a lot. I would advise trying to seek out independent tutorials to help gain the basics of Xcode.

App developing for a small business

Xcode review by <span>Matheus B.</span>
Matheus B.

"A required tool for everyone developing for Apple platforms - for better or for worse"

What do you like best?

Xcode is actually a huge monster of an IDE - there are so many features that you'll likely never use them all. A lot of them are very useful though - for example, Instruments are great tools to debug your apps, find memory leaks, debug performance issues, etc, and not having to install additional tools is very helpful. Everything you need to develop iOS and Mac apps is built in, from building interfaces to debugging.

What do you dislike?

Being a huge IDE has its problems, as crashes and mysterious problems are common. Experienced Xcode users know some of the "tricks" by heart - deleting some internal folders when builds fail, restarting the app, avoiding SVN changes while the project is still open, etc - but new users will probably be a little frustrated by the constant problems they might face initially.

There are also issues related to using Swift with Xcode, as syntax completion often fails mysteriously and build times are noticeably slower than projects using Objective-C.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend using other communities such as Reddit or Twitter to keep yourself informed, since sometimes release notes can be difficult to parse and there are lots of quirks to every new version of Xcode. Either way it's always a good thing to get connected to the community.

To answer plainly and simply: It's practically the only way to develop, build and upload iOS and Mac apps, which is a business requirement for us and many other companies out there.

Xcode review by <span>Kuntal V.</span>
Kuntal V.

"The Apple IDE"

What do you like best?

Xcode is really great for designing cool User Interface and creating a good-looking UI quite easily. It is better than most of the other IDEs out there it's quick and easy. One might find it a little bit difficult to get into the rhythm of how Xcode works, but once you get the hang of it, you are good to go.

What do you dislike?

Basically, IDEs are meant for code completion, refactoring etc. In these areas, Xcode is generations behind than other IDEs such as NetBeans or Visual Studio (I'm talking about just writing the code). So, I would say I'm not a big fan of writing my code in Xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure if I or any other Xcode user will say that it's the best IDE out there, but if you are looking forward to developing iOS apps, or apps for any other Apple product you will have to work on Xcode, and it's not that bad, I mean it's alright.

For any client, apps have become an important part of their company nowadays. So, they need to develop Android and iOS apps. And to develop an iOS app you need to use Xcode. Obviously, Xcode helps in creating better optimised, fast and beautiful looking apps to match the Apple standards of perfection.

Xcode review by <span>Rich W.</span>
Rich W.

"Wouldn't recommend, but you have literally no choice to use it!"

What do you like best?

Managed uploads and version control to itunes connect, which is an advantage above android. ( react native ). The simulator is a great tool, very accurately depicts an iphone / ipad etc and speeds up local development a lot.

What do you dislike?

Clumsy layout, difficult to find what you need to do, errors very poorly displayed. Simulator does not handle push notifications which can make local development trickier. Building to a device is also fiddly and often throws errors that you do not get on building to the simulator. Very little documentation for xcode, very often a case of google that error and solve it yourself. Little if no support options? The whole software appears as though it has had loads of extras bolted on over the years which have made the ux and ui very clumsy. Its also an enormous program ( ~20 gbs ) which when you have to use a mac ( another flaw for my poor linux friends ) takes up a huge amount of a 128gb or 256gb macbook harddrive. Simulator slows down after protracted use (appears a some processes build up over time on react native).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Your app build is very fragile! Be careful updating pod dependancies etc, e g. High Sierra recently updated my ruby version which broke my pod install and forced 5 hours of installing / reinstalling and hoping for the best before it was fixed.

We use x code to develop and release the iOS of our react native app. Has enabled us to get live on the app store, but as you are forced to use it thats not all that impressive!

Xcode review by <span>Rut B.</span>
Rut B.

"Heavy and full of bugs"

What do you like best?

I think the best thing of this IDE is the visual interface designer

What do you dislike?

Almost all. Very heavy, you need to fully update it and download 4 or 5 Gigabytes every time a new iOS release is rolled out. Poor vcs support. Since I am used to work with Jetbrains Intellij Idea, I find Xcode cumbersome compared to it. It's full of annoying bugs: about signign when you build and sign multiple apps with multiple developers account, and so on, current release even when you hit the back space button it makes the program crash and you can lose your work

Using Xcode is compulsory if you want to develop iOS applications. I have found useful the integrated process of build -sign - and upload an iOS build to the Apple Store, even if sometimes bugs interfere also with this

Xcode review by <span>Connor R.</span>
Connor R.

"Xcode is good for app design"

What do you like best?

Xcode is one of the best programs for designing apps. We use it mainly for our app we are developing for customer support. So far the program has made editing and writing code really easy. I like how good the software is at catching mistakes and editing source code. I also like how Xcode is compatible with swift code 3 and 4.

What do you dislike?

Xcode and be slightly difficult to use starting out. You do need to have a really good understanding of code before trying to use the program. Xcode seems like more of a code editor instead of a code writing program. I would like to see Xcode provide more support for code writing while also maintaining the ability for code editing.

We are using the program to create our customer support app.

Xcode review by <span>Roger W.</span>
Roger W.

"Xcode is the best tool to do programming in Mac"

What do you like best?

IDE provides pretty good user interfaces to write codes, debug app, do profiling.

What do you dislike?

Not much. However, if I want to put in wish list is that to allow adding some user plugin to enhance Xcode features. Another thing is that if you want to do kernel debugging, you still need to run lldb in command line. If kernel debugging in IDE, it would be much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best developing tool if want to do programming in Mac. You can attach to user space processes very easily.

I use it for my daily work in Forcepoint and do run time debugging to find the bugs' root cause. I can solve my Jira cases in an very efficient way.

"Usefulness of Xcode"

What do you like best?

Responsiveness and integration for iOS development. Had all the libraries included as expected without much input from developer.

What do you dislike?

Not much shortcut configuration or easy to do. Not the best for other languages like Java or even c++. Not auto completion for other languages built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always read the official documentation about the xcode and not from third party or some blog as swift or other languages c# evolves xcode evolves and so earlier tutorials might not have best or up to date information. So with official documentation.

Try gaining to know about shortcuts early on other wise it is pain to do it on smaller screen with touchpad.

Keep it updated and try to use gcc compiler that comes with xcode for doing also c++ development. You will get into trouble if using anything other then that.

Developing iOS apps mostly and benefits are able to test the app for all the platforms of iOS at same time.

Xcode review by <span>Catherine J.</span>
Catherine J.

"Xcode for App Development"

What do you like best?

Xcode IDE is very comprehensive. The IDE is fully integrated with development, testing, and deployment on one platform. I like the color coding of code as well as the overall easy to use simulator.

What do you dislike?

Problem resolution when compilation/links fail could be easier. I find my self searching for solutions to simple problems sometimes. When new versions of the software come out, I find that things are always going wrong and require changes to my code or setup to get going again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Xcode. A bit of a learning curve but worth it.

Xcode allows us to develop and test in an integrated environment. I feel that all of the programmers help each other when new features arrive.

Xcode review by <span>Justin P.</span>
Justin P.

"Only used when necessary"

What do you like best?

Ability to archive packages for iOS and upload to iTunes Connect. Creating icon sets for an application is useful, but is not reliable.

What do you dislike?

That it is essentially a necessity for some parts of creating an iOS application. I particularly dislike the excessive warnings. Most of Xcode feels counterintuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As it is required for iOS development prepare yourself to use Xcode, but don't expect the features and intuitiveness of a full featured IDE. There are some things that are very difficult to achieve outside of Xcode, and some that are impossible; besides using it for these tasks I tend to use another IDE.

I use Xcode solely for iOS development.

Xcode review by <span>Jote J.</span>
Jote J.

"Xcode for easy programing"

What do you like best?

One of the best things that I like about xcode is that it has real device testing built into the program. You can run test without fulling building the app you are working on. There is also the ability for customization of triggers which is really helpful in the integration process.

What do you dislike?

One of the things that I dislike about xcode is that there is no cross platform support. It is also hard to manage if a large group is trying to work on the same project. At times, I have found that debugging is also difficult to do in xcode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is great for a small groups and individual use.

We are using xcode for automated testing and simulation.

Xcode review by <span>Nikolay K.</span>
Nikolay K.

"There no alternatives - but it's pretty good"

What do you like best?

I'm developing mobile cross platform app and using both Xcode and Android Studio.

I'm not very happy with Xcode but it's better then Android Studio in terms of performs and easy to use.

Wha I like

- it's doesn't consume a lot of RAM

- easy&fast open an app using a different simulators

- easy to upload app to iTunes

What do you dislike?

- problems with signing the App using certificates

- take too much space on the disk (up to 20-25GB). Since I have 128GB mac - it's a problem. So from time to time I have to completely reinstall it.

- some bugs occurs regularly

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's better now to use "automatically manage signing" feature. I switch to manage certificates manually and it saved me a lot of time.

developing hight quality mobile apps. Fast

Xcode review by <span>Adrien B.</span>
Adrien B.

"The best app for iOS developers"

What do you like best?

Xcode is user friendly and easy to use. I love the user interface. Other IDE are really bad and sometimes you have to search how to do something. This is not the case with Xcode :)

What do you dislike?

There is no dark interface. As developer, I use it all the day (and night sometimes). A dark interface would be better for my eyes. The only thing I can do is to change the editor color (but not the menu colors...)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definetly recommand this app to any iOS developper. But If you are one of them, you already know it...

If you want to build and iOS app, Xcode is mandatory. So I cannot use any other alternative.

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Proffesional level software development with a few frustrations."

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Xcode is that it is focused. Too often development software tries too be all things to all people, causing constant frustration (I'm looking at you Visual Studio). But XCode knows who it is for (with some exceptions, see my dislike comment). If I am on a Mac, and I open XCode, it is clear I want to develop Mac/iOS based software (and all the flavors in between). I don't have to fight the environment to eliminate cruft to do the job. It stays clean and allows me to open only the tools I care about, when I care about them, and I appreciate that.

What do you dislike?

Here's the rub and what will sound like a contradiction, the environment is focused. While I want and appreciate that, I still want to customize the interface and tools. I don't want unwanted tools and features forced down my throat, but that doesn't mean I don't want to add some. The lack of a true extension framework unnecessarily limits me. This is one area Apple is missing one essential fact about who this software is for (as alluded to in my "like best" comments). Developers are tinkerers and opinionated. While I want to be guided in an asthetic direction, I still want and need tools to help simplify my work, the way I work. I do not expect or want Apple to cater to every possible person, but I do want an extension framework that allows me to extend the application to suite my daily workflow my way. It's a feature they have alluded to, and I hope this is the year we get it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no other way to say it, use Xcode on macOS to develop your software. You could use other platforms such as Xamarin/Visual Studio if you hate yourself and don't mind software performance issues for your customers. Go native and do it the right way. You will be glad you did.

I am currently writing both macOS and iOS software, and having a unified suite of tools designed for the job has allowed me to focus on the tasks at hand. Developing, troubleshooting and optimizing my software.

Xcode review by Consultant in Automotive
Consultant in Automotive

"xcode - most comprehensive dev tool for iOS and Apple Platforms"

What do you like best?

The user interface is clean and easy to use for an IDE. Build and release areas of the app are clearly labelled. Debugging is easy in the app as everything is well designed with lots of excellent visual queues. We were able to take an existing project, import it and have it working in less than 30 minutes.

What do you dislike?

The size and memory. Any time you do development no matter how small, xcode takes up a large memory and hard drive footprint. Most modern computers have adequate storage but I would make sure that if you are doing development that you have enough RAM and Hard drive space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an excellent tool. Although it takes time to install, it is worth it in the end. It's a full featured IDE.

We were able to quickly deploy an iOS app from partner code quickly using XCode. All the project components were inside the project which made it easy to import. We were able to take this code, iterate on it and develop further enhancements without a lot of time wasted on familiarizing ourselves with the environment.

Xcode review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"XCode is definitely heading the right way!"

What do you like best?

I really like the UI, it is very neat. I like how there is plenty of documentation for swift programming language even though it's a new programming language. I like how you can drag and drop objects into the storyboards. I like how easy it is to test projects in simulators and real devices.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the constant crashes XCode has, also the all the setup it requires for provisional profiles, setting up teams, signing a certificate. Also, XCode is limited to Apple products only it would be nice if XCode could be used to develop products for devices other than apple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My personal recommendation is, if you want to build a native iOS app, XCode is the way to go!

We are developing iOS apps for surveying crews in the pipeline industry. The benefit of having an iPad or iPhone and report in real-time while onsite is a tremendous asset to our company. We are able to run analytics and show real-time progress.

Xcode review by <span>Chad H.</span>
Chad H.

"Xcode. This is 100% needed for any iOS or Mac app development."

What do you like best?

Very similar to PhpStorm IDE I use for most my development I like many unique features like the iOS simulator you can use to test your iOS apps right on the Mac you are developing on. A quick build and run of the simulator you can test things like screen orientation, location testing (even the message bar at the top), shaking effects, etc. This way it is easy to view and debug if needed what parts of the code are causing heavy memory usage or if a crash happens, why.

The UI creator is really neat and easy to use to build basic iOS menus and navigations.

What do you dislike?

Some of the UI can be a bit confusing and complex. This Mac app is feature rich and can be very intimidating if you don't know what some functions are. Even after learning the basics it still feels heavy and complex; as it is. I wish there were more plugins available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode being a free product that comes with Mac it's a no-brainer to at least try it out. The Apple iOS program costs a yearly fee but with the iPhone/iPad simulator built in it makes it easy to develop without needing to be subscribed.

Starting to use this is college Xcode has certainly improved a ton. I use it mostly nowadays to update, test, and debug some mac apps. Easily add features and test, set breakpoints, and debug really helps with development speed and deploying new and improved code.

Xcode review by <span>Jackie C.</span>
Jackie C.

"Xcode works great and is regularly updated "

What do you like best?

Xcode is frequently updated so the Python code I use doesn't break and remains stable. It is easy to update from both the App store and the command line. I like that there is a helpful GUI for demo purposes, but I can edit and use everything from the command line, since programming is a large part of my job. It also makes SSH'ing with a GUI very easy.

What do you dislike?

Xcode can be a little confusing as to what version it's running or what program it actually consists of, because there are a lot of different dependencies. A lot of programs, like DS9, run Xcode in the background and multiple icons pop up when you start the program, so that seems a bit extraneous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update it as often as updates come out because Python specifically can throw fatal errors when Xcode is out of date. I would recommend using it from the command line for the most part, and also look into using it as a display environment when ssh'ing to another computer.

My job involves a lot of Python coding in the command line as well as visual representations of data using Xcode-based programs like DS9. I have also used it as a display environment when ssh'ing to remote computers which I do frequently. Xcode makes coding in between computer networks effortless and has streamlined my coding quite a bit.

Xcode review by <span>Rahul B.</span>
Rahul B.

"Not only an IDE for iOS development, but the best editor for Mac"

What do you like best?

I did use sublime for sometime. But eventually, I moved back to Xcode for general code editing. Because it's not too sophisticated like the former one.

Now to the main part, Xcode is an integrated tool for Mac and iOS development. It is full featured for both Objective C and Swift and allows easy deployment to both device and simulator.

The best feature in my opinion is the test driven development.

What do you dislike?

The file management in the IDE is somewhat messed up. The changes that we make in the project directory using Finder does not reflect and create issues in the project build.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend more time with this tool and you will love it. Mac is all about being simple and fast.

I have used Xcode to build apps for my freelance business. As iPhone is a major mobile platform and Xcode is the only available tool for developing apps for this platform, so obviously there is no other option but to use it.

Xcode review by <span>Jesus Adolfo R.</span>
Jesus Adolfo R.

"Excellent features not great experience"

What do you like best?

Built in simulator, easy to go. By installing XCode you can start programming almost right away. Not only that but it comes with a bunch of built in features such as Instruments, simulator, interface builder.

What do you dislike?

Very buggy and inefficient using system resources. If you are planning to be productive using XCode, you better have a pretty good mac with enough system resources (mainly RAM and CPU). Also the IDE crashes a lot. Another thing I dislike is how sometimes the IDE stops indexing and then your IDE becomes somewhat unusable as you lose the ability inspect code easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need a lot of patience when using XCode.

Building, debugging and testing iOS applications.

Xcode review by <span>Ben L.</span>
Ben L.

"Xcode: Super complex, IDE. Does everything you need and more?"

What do you like best?

Love some of the hidden features of Xcode especially on the debugging side. View hierarchy visualization is key to debugging animations and view transition issues. Conditional breakpoints and logging breakpoints are lightweight techniques for watching control flow happen. Additionally, while the interface builder piece can be complex, the ability to build advanced interfaces in the IDE is awesome. Lastly, the fact that it is free is a huge boon to those in education, exploring app building for the first time, or work on not for profit projects.

What do you dislike?

Xcode is huge. It's a 5 GB download every single time Apple releases a .X release of iOS or macOS. It's also super complex with lots of functionality hidden behind tiny icons that float in weird corners. It's also not the most extensible IDE in the world, only allowing extensions in very few cases. Lastly, it tends to be screen real-estate hungry and is increasingly difficult to run on a 13" MacBookPro (although running in fullscreen mode marginally improves this problem).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't look for alternatives, Xcode is the right choice every time.

I've used Xcode (and before that when it was named Project Builder) for almost 20 years. I've built apps for Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's an all-around mature and full-featured IDE in which you can build any app that you can conceive of. It has good code completion and great key commands. It allows teams to efficiently build apps from the hobbyist level all the way up to the large enterprise level.

Xcode review by <span>Jack M.</span>
Jack M.

"Learning Curve but Useful"

What do you like best?

I really used the iOS simulator the most, which comes with XCode. It made development on an iPhone when I didn't have one handy incredibly simple, and it was easy to figure out. Also, there are a lot of helpful support platforms on Apple's forums whereby you can figure out problems relatively quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve to XCode in general. If you're coming from a JavaScript background where all you know is a text editor and a browser, XCode has a lot to offer but can be tricky to navigate. I was developing in React Native and trying to get a valid iOS build out the door, but what with the confusion of signing up in the Apple Developer portal and linking your account, signing apps, etc, the documentation could be much better. Once you figure it out, though, everything's pretty useful.

XCode helped my team create react-native app builds, and to test continually what updates to our product would do to the user interface. The benefits are that we could test without having everyone download the test app to their phones; the Simulator was a huge help and we didn't have to purchase ten iPhones to test on different devices.

Xcode review by <span>Millie H.</span>
Millie H.

"Great way to write code in C"

What do you like best?

This was incredibly helpful for writing code in C. With the help of a tutor, XCode was easy to work with and very straightforward. Also, it is very Apple device-friendly since you can get it in the App store.

What do you dislike?

Although XCode made it simple to code, there were a few drawbacks, such as not having a help button if I got stuck. I would always have to utilize the internet to find a function to use. This would have been helpful in many instances and I know another program, MATLAB, that will give you suggestions on how to debug the code. If there is an error in XCode, you are alone to solve it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

XCode is a platform in which you are able to code in C offline. If you must be away from wifi for any reason, this is a great software to use.

XCode used to code in C programming. Although there are websites that also have the same service, you are able to use XCode offline.

Xcode review by <span>Richard R.</span>
Richard R.

"All the tools you need to develop your next iOS app."

What do you like best?

As anybody that develops apps for iOS, Xcode is your main suite for software development for the platform. It is relatively easy to navigate compared to some other IDEs I have worked with. Being able to get around the IDE is vital to being productive and efficient.

Being designed by the platform manufacture, the IDE is better tuned to its environment than something like a C language which could be developed on one platform with the intent of operating in environments of varying specification.

What do you dislike?

Nested StackViews took some getting used to but once I got used to its intricacies for layout control, it turned out to be pretty handy.

Sometimes the experience and knowledge of Apply products is assumed by the creators of the IDE. Often times I have had to research a core functional specification of the hardware platform in order to create some blocks of code.

Some third party content can be hard to use without additional adjustments.

As an app author, I often work with people to find solutions for their control environments. The ability to tweak an app for a specific need is pretty easy to do in Xcode then roll it out for testing and release.

Xcode review by <span>KAUSHIK S.</span>
KAUSHIK S.

"Xcode an ideal for ios development"

What do you like best?

My most loved thing about Xcode is that it is engaged. Time after time improvement programming tries too be everything to all individuals, causing steady disappointment. In any case, XCode knows it's identity for. On the off chance that I am on a Mac, and I open XCode, it is clear I need to create Mac/iOS based programming . I don't need to battle nature to dispense with cruft to carry out the activity. It remains clean and enables me to open just the apparatuses I think about, when I think about them, and I welcome that.

What do you dislike?

Nested StackViews took some getting used to yet once I got used to its complexities for design control, it ended up being quite convenient.

In some cases the experience and learning of Apply items is expected by the makers of the IDE. Regularly I have needed to investigate a center useful detail of the equipment stage keeping in mind the end goal to make a few pieces of code.

Some outsider substance can be difficult to use without extra alterations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the event that you need to make iOS applications you basically need to utilize Xcode.The enormous news is that is free, considering the "custom" of iOS and OS X (Apple) to charge us for every last one of the genuinely helpful applications you need to introduce, it is a vital progress.

The advantages I see is that Xcode is Apple's across the board coordinated advancement condition, offering cutting edge highlights like a graphical interface developer and a punctuation mindful and compiler-mindful source manager.

Xcode review by <span>Ryan M.</span>
Ryan M.

"Great for iOS development, but not my goto editor."

What do you like best?

Xcode is required for iOS development and they are doing a great job of improving it. The support for visualizing cod with storyboards is great. It seeds up development being able to connect code visually. Xcode 9 also greatly improves the ability to jump to the definition of a method and improves the Open Quickly dialog which I use all the time.

Its support for Git has gotten much better as well. As long as you are doing simple commits and pushes it does well. For everything else, I continue to go to the command line.

If you are working with Objective-C or Swift, I highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

Xcode 9 continues the Xcode legacy with having the occasional problem. Trying to look up the Class Reference for a standard library class no longer works. Occasionally the compiler will stop running during development so that autocomplete stops working. And in storyboards, there is still an issue with the file changing when you've just opened it up since it recalculates all the constraints. It leaves a lot to be desired in the polish. Wireless debugging doesn't work reliably for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You know when you'll need to use it. It works well, just bookmark Stack Overflow if you have any questions. Also, take the time to learn hotkeys and to customize them to fit your needs. There is a lot in Xcode that can be customized (scripts to run when you build, which views show up when a build fails/runs, what happens when a test fails, etc). Watch the WWDC videos about Xcode and you'll pick up new tricks/improvements each time.

I do a lot of iOS development and Xcode is essential in development and deployment of my project.

Xcode review by <span>Alin D.</span>
Alin D.

"Xcode a ide perfect for ios programming"

What do you like best?

The capacity to work for numerous stages like ios, osx just to give some examples with next to zero outside instrument required.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit terrorizing for beginners. Such a significant number of things become possibly the most important factor on start up, you don't realize what will be what and its in that spot gazing back at you with insufficient insight

Recommendations to others considering the product

While progressive discharges have enhanced the execution and unwavering quality fundamentally, Xcode has far to go on the off chance that it is going for unseating its adversary, the brilliant Appcode.

Storyboards are inclined to breaking, case I had an undertaking that I pushed to Git and when I re-opened it the storyboard format was a wreck (in any case despite everything it aggregated with the right imperatives), a blunder like this would keep me from having the capacity to add to the storyboard.

Xcode review by <span>Harish G.</span>
Harish G.

"Xcode the best IDE for iOS Development"

What do you like best?

The UI is extremely good with the new version streamlining the product even more. The auto suggestion of fixes, the UI for storyboard are very good. The latest wireless debugging is excellent feature.

What do you dislike?

Xcode crashes mostly and it takes a lot of memory and processing speed making computers slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the only IDE available out there to develop iOS applications and Apple sure knows how to cater to the needs of the developers. I recommend using system with high configuration as Xcode tends to take a lot of space and RAM.

iOS Development. This is the best IDE for mobile development

Xcode review by <span>Prabin T.</span>
Prabin T.

"Xcode getting better in terms of testing"

What do you like best?

The IDE is very clean. Working with GUI design is easy (Drag and drop). It also provides good tools for debugging and analyzing memory usages. With XCode 8, the testing framework got much better. UI testing and better reporting mechanism are now available. It is also easy to hook it up to your own CI server using xcode server. Building a project is much faster (compared to android) from my own experience. Embedded source control is also available if you want to use it.

What do you dislike?

I am using Xcode side by side with Android Studio and I must say that Android Studio (intelliJ) has much more integrated tools than XCode. In Xcode, I could not find a way to navigate to a failed test by clicking on stacktrace. Refactoring a variable is not supported yet in Swift in Xcode. Another annoying thing is that it opens same file more than once instead of just re-navigating to the already open one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since Xcode is the recommended IDE for ios development, I would say stick to it. There are IDEs like Xamarin which are great but you may encounter problems during swift updates. Xcode is getting better with each build. More features are being added.

We are using xcode to build a messaging application. We are using 100% swift but xcode supports ObjectiveC as well. With each updates in Swift, xcode automatically updates our code which is very helpful feature. Xcode also provides many versions of ios simulator and thus testing is much robust. Sometimes we need to build opensource projects such as Couchbase lite viewer and xcode takes care easily if the code version is out of date.

Xcode review by <span>Jose Efrain P.</span>
Jose Efrain P.

"good application"

What do you like best?

The integration with many tools is the best part of the system, it has many tools and works very well, perhaps one of the best things of the application is that you have at hand most of the tools I need

La integracion con muchas herramientas es la mejor parte del sistema, tiene muchas herramientas y funciona muy bien, quizas una de las mejores cosas de la aplicacion es que permita tener a la mano la mayoria de las herramientas que necesito

What do you dislike?

It is quite complicated for a novice developer, has so many things that at first it costs to adapt to it

Es bastante complicada para un desarrollador novato, tiene tantas cosas que al principio cuesta adaptarse a ella

Recommendations to others considering the product

It would be good to translate the tool

Seria bueno traducir la herramienta

to develop and test app for IOS and MAC OSX

poder desarrollar y probar app para IOS y MAC OSX

Xcode review by <span>Alessandro O.</span>
Alessandro O.

"Xcode is great - but with some bugs"

What do you like best?

- It is fast, compared to some heavy Java based IDE

- It's deeply integrated with Mac and iOS development, so if that is your environment, it is almost a must

- iOS simulator works great and it is fast, even if it lacks some features

- Autocompletion is amazing

What do you dislike?

- Seems to be still a work in progress when you write Swift code: from time to time the SourceKit server crashes (it is the software that handles code completion and syntax highlight), it's slower compared to Objective-C code, and it still lacks some tools like refactoring.

- You can use it almost for just Swift, Objective-C and C/C++. There is no real support for other languages.

- Even if Xcode 8 has real extensions, it still lacks a true plugins architecture

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only alternative I know as an IDE is AppCode. Never used it, but since Xcode is produced by Apple, that is the same manufacturer of iOS and macOS, I see really few reasons to not use the tool written by Apple itself.

It is almost the only choice for iOS development. Since I'm an iOS developer, I deeply embraced it for all my workflow and I feel natural in it.

Xcode review by <span>Nick K.</span>
Nick K.

"Powerful, Sometimes two steps forward/one back"

What do you like best?

Only a small learning curve to be able to get up and running. At the core of Apple development, there's obviously strong community support from which to derive answers to nearly all troubleshooting needs.

What do you dislike?

Not always as backward-compatible as I'd like between major upgrades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before upgrading to a new release, do thorough testing and diligence in terms of researching compatibility issues with all sub-projects used in your application.

Otherwise, as with any dev tool, sit back, relax, and read the docs! It will only assuage the degree of troubleshooting difficulty down the road.

Developing for iOS.

Xcode review by <span>Jeannette H.</span>
Jeannette H.

"Xcode"

What do you like best?

Xcode is free and gives the ability to create applications for many different platforms in one place with a preview.

What do you dislike?

Xcode is free but in order to produce Apple applications, big or small, you have to pay a fee, which is not mentioned in the programs discription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is not the easiest to use application, however there is courses available in the App Store free to download that make it much easier to use and understand. I recomment making sure that the payout is going to be worth the profit if you are planning on producing Apple apps, the program itself is free but there is a fee to putting your apps on the App Store.

Xcode does not solve any solutions for me at this time, however it does put a few possiblities on the table for future projects.

Xcode review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

"The worst IDE that you're stuck with"

What do you like best?

They did a decent job of integrating documentation into the interface. With the doc pane open, I get the docs for anything that I highlight.

What do you dislike?

Just about everything else. Xcode is buggy and crashes all the time. Every upgrade means that they disable all of the plugins that make Xcode almost a usable editor and my productivity in Xcode is terrible compared to the other editors that I use like Vim and Atom. Apple forces you into Xcode if you want to write Obj-C or Swift based applications rather than supporting a developers choice to use tools that make them more productive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have to use it, don't use it.

I have been contracted to write a number of iOS applications in Swift. Unfortunately, Xcode is the only IDE that I can do that in.

Xcode review by <span>Michael R.</span>
Michael R.

"Necessary for iOS/tvOS/macOS development"

What do you like best?

Enables one to build iOS/tvOS/macOS applications. Interface builder allows one to quickly build up the interface for any application.

Incredible static analysis, excellent memory leak and dead code detection.

What do you dislike?

Nothing is explained, documentation is thorough but extremely verbose.

Can be very frustrating trying to find out exactly what has broken a build.

Difficult to automate tasks.

Can crash a lot.

Does not come with a built in package manager, must use Cocoapods.

Does not come with a built in method to add plugins to provide additional functionality, must use Carthage manually.

Very resource intensive program.

Not clear at all which Xcode-centric config files should be committed to Git and which contain only user-relevant config data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While successive releases have improved the performance and reliability significantly, Xcode has a long way to go if it is aiming at unseating its rival, the excellent Appcode.

Building & testing iOS/tvOS/macOS applications.

Use the simulator for testing websites in Safari.

Xcode review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"An essential IDE for mac and ios developers and useful for testing mobile web apps"

What do you like best?

The IDE has some useful features to help you test web applications on iOS emulators and of course once you start to think about writing a native application you have swift and objective-c at your fingertips and all you need to push your native app to the app store.

What do you dislike?

It is quite a large application. A very visual studio like in terms of size and of course every major version of iTunes or hardware release means you have to download the new application. XCode is also a dependancy on other tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can always use Xamarin and other IDE's to develop native software but if you want the true supported apple way of doing things then XCode is the way forward.

It is great for testing web applications on a variety of ios and mac screens.

Xcode review by <span>Aishwarya Pratap S.</span>
Aishwarya Pratap S.

"Extremely clinical IDE"

What do you like best?

The control it provides the user despite carrying a non -cluttered look. "Debug view hierarchy" is the coolest feature.

What do you dislike?

The fact that they got rid of XCode pluggins which made life so easy for a developer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

XCode has tons of features waiting to be explored. Playground, instruments when used as an extension to xcode development, can bring out a wonderful result.

Creating mobile applications. It provides a great way to create applications quickly and provides additional tools to look at the memory management, performance statistics of the app.

Xcode review by <span>Alon R.</span>
Alon R.

"Xcode has a steep learning curve but is the easiest/best/only(?) way to make iOS app and publish it"

What do you like best?

I like that it has storyboards and UI elements that are built in. This is a full IDE for building iOS apps, made by Apple, so you know you have something good here. The docs are also good.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how different coding feels from most IDE environments. It doesn't feel like something you could play around in and figure out completely on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is necessary for native iOS apps, and also looks good on the resume as opposed to wrappers like Ionic/Cordova, etc.

Making iOS apps. Everything is mobile nowadays so this is essential.

Xcode review by <span>Philip B.</span>
Philip B.

"Wonderful / intemidating"

What do you like best?

The ability to build for multiple platforms like ios, osx just to name a few with little or no external tool needed.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit intimidation for first timers. So many things come into play on start up, you don't know what is what and its right there staring back at you with not enough hint

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's pretty cool for development, but daunting for first timers. You need to spend more time with it before you can get the hang of it, but once your past that its pretty straight forward.

Building mobile apps for the app store i.e ios.

It's been cool, especially working with swift as opposed to objective-c

Xcode review by <span>Ami B.</span>
Ami B.

"Easy to use interface"

What do you like best?

The storyboard is a seamless and easy to use tool to quickly layout your views. This is an area the Apple is constantly striving to improve and it is clear that with every iteration it gets better. In addition, I also find it very easy to use the asset catalog, uploading images and graphics in bulk is very easy.

What do you dislike?

Code signing in Xcode is a pain and it always has been. We have two teams for enterprise and app store releases and ensuring that we are signing on the correct team, have the correct provisioning profiles, etc is a pain. I believe this is getting better over the years, but it is still the most time consuming process for us especially when we are switching so often between our teams for all of our apps.

In addition, I would like to see Xcode greatly improve the errors while debugging and crash reports. At this time, it is very difficult to determine what caused your app to crash without stepping through each point, I would like to see a better explanation immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Xcode for both iOS development in addition to other development with this IDE. It is very easy to use and allows for both a light and dark mode depending on your own personal preference.

Xcode provides a seamless tool to develop iOS applications. Xcode, in my opinion, is the best tool for iOS development and you ensure that the product looks great for iOS rather than trying to take the easier route of a single code base where the OS specific apps then lack.

Xcode review by <span>Benjamin P.</span>
Benjamin P.

"Powerful IDE for apps and more"

What do you like best?

XCode offers the best for developing simple UI apps on iOS and Mac platform.

What do you dislike?

XCode is kind of a beast. It can crash, getting slow or freezes once in a while. This happens rarely though but can be really annoying and always gives you the feeling of an unfinished product. It is necessary to upgrade your Mac from time to time to be compatible with latest XCode updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to iOS and Mac development give Xcode a try. Especially creating UI views is extremely easy.

We develop and test apps for iOS using XCode.

Xcode review by <span>Shobhit P.</span>
Shobhit P.

"Overall good but too slow many times"

What do you like best?

- I like how it handles/organizes assets/images.

- I like auto layout and how one can design layouts.

- iPhone simulators are fast.

What do you dislike?

- It can get damn slow as the project size increases.

- The storyboard changes even without moving anything. Huge storyboards are also slow and cumbersome to maintain.

- Simulators don't seem to have some features like Camera etc. They can use Mac camera.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not sure if there is an alternative for coding iOS apps yet but would be helpful to consider that.

Develop iOS app for our product using Swift.

Xcode review by <span>Matthew B.</span>
Matthew B.

"OK IDE - efficient simulations"

What do you like best?

I really like that the simulations are not as resource hungry as they are with the Android Studio IDE. The application performs really well with iOS app simulations.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the presentation of all configurations and the inflexibility of the IDE. It is very Apple-esque in the approach to customizations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best IDE for iOS development - despite the inflexibility of customization.

I use it to test my company's SDKs that are released to developers. I am not a strong iOS or swift programmer but it is effective based on my n00b experience.

Xcode review by <span>Avery C.</span>
Avery C.

"Great tool that is stable and does its job"

What do you like best?

The IDE is great in Xcode, a very neat and clean design all the way through. It has all the necessary tools and useful features for app developing across all the platforms, like tvOS, watchOS, iOS. It has an awesome simulator that can simulate all the Apple devices. Its a tool that works well and easy to pickup.

What do you dislike?

It requires a Developer licence to send the built to the App Store, which is rather expensive and only lasts for a year. Moreover, the compatibility of Xcode is also an issue as it is limited to the latest OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode remains the only reliable and best solution for app developing on Apple's platform. Despite the price tag of the developer license, the application itself is free and it is useful for debugging and everything is there except the ability to send it to the app store.

It translates almost everything from the drawing board into an actual functioning app. As it is an all in one package, it is less likely to have bugs.

Xcode review by <span>Patrick F.</span>
Patrick F.

"Apple made it easy to develop on iOS"

What do you like best?

Not that there's another viable tool (unless you want to go full vim/emacs) on Mac for developing on iOS, but Xcode has all the right features and support for developing Swift/Objective C, Code completion, integration with iOS libraries built in, simulating all kinds of devices, themes. I mean, what more can you ask for!?

What do you dislike?

Why must Xcode be soooo slow?! Part of the problem is that it's bloated. I mean after you install the initial thing it asks you to install more things! But that's the price you gotta pay for all those feature I guess...

Oh and it's a bit ugly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're developing for iOS on Mac, just use Xcode

Developing our iOS apps.

Xcode review by User

"Best option for iOS development"

What do you like best?

Everything you need for developing on Apple platforms is included. It really takes some time to get experienced with the IDE and learn enough shortcuts to make your development time efficient.

What do you dislike?

Xcode typically has some major flaw with each major version update. Uploading a build to the App Store is also very tedious as they don't provide any sort of built in automation and if there are any issues with your build you have to sit through the entire upload process in order to receive information about what failed.

It's the most efficient IDE to use for iOS development and its free (granted you'll be paying a developer fee to Apple in order to develop apps on their platforms).

Xcode review by <span>Paul C.</span>
Paul C.

"Xcode lets you write Mac OS and iOS apps"

What do you like best?

Xcode lets me create Mac OS and iOS apps. It can also serve as a code-aware visual editor, even if I am writing shell scripts. It includes built-in simulators of various iPhone models with different versions of iOS installed. Xcode has built-in links to Apple's documentation so I can look up an API or a feature of the code quickly and easily. The storyboard functionality allows me to create a quick prototype of the screen flow in my apps.

What do you dislike?

The provisioning of an iOS app for the Apple App Store has gotten better, but it is still inconsistent. When a new version of Xcode is released, it is a large download (typically) and additional large downloads for simulators and documentation are usually required. The simulator sometimes gets "confused" and needs to be restarted. The simulator is also, no surprise, very processor-intensive and so works better on a faster machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free to download, so download it and try it out. Be sure to download it when you have a little time or when you are on a fast connection as the initial download is several gigabytes and the simulators and documentation are several more.

Xcode lets me create iOS applications and post them to the Apple App Store. Once in the App Store, the apps are available for purchase/download. Xcode also allows me to tap into testing tools to inspect the code, to look at the behaviors of the code when running, and to debug and look for errors.

Xcode review by <span>Justin G.</span>
Justin G.

"Xcode gives you the freedom to create what you've always dreamt about"

What do you like best?

Xcode gives you the ability to do cross platform coding, whether for iOS, MacOS, WatchOS, etc. While the application itself is substantial in size and complexity, there are multiple tutorials available online. The learning curve can be steep, but the Xcode interface has an intuitive build meant to aid users.

What do you dislike?

Xcode can be complex and burdensome in some instances. Online tutorials are very helpful in these instances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have an good understanding of what you are trying to implement and on what platform.

Mobile app debugging for iPhone.

Xcode review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"XCode Review for Mobile Development"

What do you like best?

XCode makes it very easy to start out to develop IOS applications. The "Hello World" applications are very easy to create even for non developer types.

What do you dislike?

Xcode is incredibly difficult to get the certificate signing to work. This causes many issues when trying to deploy and test your application. In addition you cannot use Xcode to develop for any other platform besides IOS and Swift. You cannot user the IDE for anything else. This is a closed system. I also found issuse with the system crashing if not updated properly. This caused numerous hour to be lost debuggings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this only if you are building IOS applications only

We were able to develop mobile IOS and Ipad applications with this tool

Xcode review by <span>Mike C.</span>
Mike C.

"Xcode gets the job done."

What do you like best?

Xcode is a decent IDE. When it's working properly, the code completion is useful.

What do you dislike?

Code completion breaks more way more often than it should. When that breaks, there's not much advantage to using Xcode. Usually, it's broken by code that doesn't compile, but that's what an IDE is supposed to show you how to fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is basically your only option with iOS development. JetBrains makes AppCode which is very familiar if you have used any of their other great IDEs. Unfortunately, this one is probably more trouble than it's worth. In typical Apple fashion, they do their best to keep anyone else from providing something useful on top of their platforms.

It's pretty much the only way to develop for iOS, macOS, etc.

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Secure Software Test Automation Engineer"

What do you like best?

Xcode is nature IDE for Mac developer to easy create not only iOS but also Mac OS applications. You, can use this IDE to develop iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch and all application for Apple devices. It is free download from Apple Store as long as you have apple devices. It fully support and no any doubt of it

What do you dislike?

I need to take very large hard drive space in order to install on Mac OS and sometimes it tooks a lot of resources and let the machine hang and crash

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am highly this IDE for all Mac application develop. This is nature application in Mac OS and can do everything for your need.

Our company has security endpoint software and also support Mac version so we need Xcode to write object C to accomplish the task. It is easy to write and debug when we got issues on our software. Even for testing, we are using Xcode to write apple script to run our automation test on different Mac OS.

Xcode review by <span>Laurent R.</span>
Laurent R.

"solid IDE for iOS development "

What do you like best?

It is developed officially by Apple so it always is up to date with the latest language features. Developers have access to beta versions, which makes it easy to get accustomed to the new features, especially after Apple's WWDC conference. It now has support for introspecting views at runtime, which helps as applications UI is developed using constraint written in code, which makes it hard to preview the UI in Interface Builder. The Interface Builder is super easy to work with. My favorite way to develop is using the split pane view, which works well, and I have no complaints about he debugger both with the console and the variables Windows.

What do you dislike?

SourceKit crashes often when creating auto layout constraints in code. At first, it bothered me a tiny bit, but as I evolved and wrote more and more constraints in code, I became less productive because of all the crashes. Losing 2 seconds at a time adds up!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get to know the advanced features that will make your life easier, especially with break points and debugging.

I develop applications for iPhones. It can also be used as a text editor for other programming languages.

Xcode review by <span>Nathan S.</span>
Nathan S.

"XCODE FOR SWIFT"

What do you like best?

I really do not like using Xcode. There are better alternatives like AppCode. The one thing that is good is the device emulator. I find myself using this tool quite often. Still you cant really get around using it if you are developing natively. I find myself using the command line tools more than anything else.

What do you dislike?

Lots of things, to start the interface is not very intuitive and I just prefer other IDE's over this. The interface just .feels clunky which is unusual for apple products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will get the job done, but there are better alternatives. You cant really get around using it if you write native apps.

Building mobile applications for clients, working on existing code.

Xcode review by <span>佳亮 .</span>
佳亮 .

"Xcode "

What do you like best?

In the perspective of iOS/Mac development, Xcode is still be far the best choice. The UI design are very native, obviously. The speed are OK, comparing to other tools like AppCode. The code completion which used to be good, however, is start to getting worse. Playground is very powerful. And built-in Git support is also very useful.

What do you dislike?

The stability is horrible. And I'm talking about the "stable" releases, not beta ones. Sometimes it just crashes out of nowhere. Besides, there are always small bugs that frustrates me. I believe that Apple is pushing Xcode too hard by adding so many features, and fail to maintain the quality of Xcode itself.

Also, When it comes to advanced IDE features like refactoring, introspection, and integration, Xcode is nowhere near its fellow friend Visual Studio. And it seems that Apple is not showing interest in improving those features.

I've been developing iOS applications using Xcode. Still, with all the flaws, Xcode is the only official and possible tool for iOS development.

Xcode review by <span>Tab Z.</span>
Tab Z.

"Great for IOS Apps"

What do you like best?

It is only official option for iOS apps development. You use it to submit apps to App store and test them on your devices. Also you can use it as an IDE for other programming languages as well.

What do you dislike?

The process of submitting apps to the store is a little bit confusing and slow sometimes. It can take me up to 3 hours when I am abroad (outside of the U.S.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't pay for membership if you are only learning. However you need a membership to submit apps.

Create and publish iOS apps. It allows me to test our apps on devices and submits my apps to the App store.

Xcode review by <span>Robert H.</span>
Robert H.

"Xcode is great - but with some bugs"

What do you like best?

It is fast, compared to some heavy Java based IDE. It's deeply integrated with Mac and iOS development, so if that is your environment, it is almost a must. iOS simulator works great and it is fast, even if it lacks some features. Autocompletion is amazing

What do you dislike?

Seems to be still a work in progress when you write Swift code: from time to time the SourceKit server crashes (it is the software that handles code completion and syntax highlight), it's slower compared to Objective-C code, and it still lacks some tools like refactoring. You can use it almost for just Swift, Objective-C and C/C++. There is no real support for other languages. Even if Xcode 8 has real extensions, it still lacks a true plugins architecture

Xcode review by User

"Writing and Editing C++ code on Mac using Xcode"

What do you like best?

I prefer to use Mac computers. While other editors only work on Windows and/or are designed specifically for Windows, I often find that I have to use the older Windows computers in my lab to run code. I definitely prefer using Mac to Windows, and Xcode allows me to do this. I do not use mobile app development features regularly, but I like the integration, simulation, and upload tools that I have played with for building mobile apps.

What do you dislike?

Error throwing and debugging in Xcode is not as good as it is in Microsoft Visual Studio. I get system errors that I do not understand and that don't give any indication of how I can fix the error in my code i.e. The errors are not actually part of my code. They are in a program file that I cannot edit. The interface for errors is also not easy to work with. I also have had problems using certain header files. I can use it in Microsoft Visual Studio and it doesn't work in Xcode, and vice versa. There is not seamless transition from one system to another, which I expect for a universal language like C++.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are used to using Microsoft Visual Studio for writing, editing, and running C++ code specifically, you will find that this editor lacks in many areas in comparison. However, if you want to develop mobile iPhone apps, I think this is a very innovative and useful tool.

I am a biomedical researcher whose work requires me to build mathematical models that simulate biological processes. I use this editor from time to time to write and edit C++ code.

Xcode review by <span>Alejandro V.</span>
Alejandro V.

"Xcode review"

What do you like best?

Lo mejor de Xcode es su facilidad para aprender a programar y que inmediatamente puedes poner en práctica algunas ideas.

What do you dislike?

Creo que lo peor es necesitar un mac para hacerlo aunque, tengo entendido que se puede solventar el problema con un simulador. Por otra parte, para poder probar el código en un dispositivo es necesario sacar la licencia de desarrollador con el coste que ello implica.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Swift, el lenguaje actual de Xcode, es muy sencillo de aprender y facilita mucho el desarrollo de Apps

Xcode permite desarrollar aquello que tienes en la cabeza, aunque pocas veces la primera idea es tan simple como para llevarla a cabo del tirón, necesita un proceso de desarrollo y estructuración antes de poder programar.

Xcode review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Xcode is the first IDE I have used so I have a limited perspecti, with that said there are some bugs"

What do you like best?

I like the feature of being able to present two files at once in assistant editor. I also like that you are able to use storyboards to create interfaces.

What do you dislike?

Storyboards are prone to breaking, example I had a project that I pushed to Git and when I re-opened it the storyboard layout was a mess (however it still compiled with the correct constraints), an error like this would prevent me from being able to add to the storyboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are using a newer Mac, keep up to date with the latest version of Xcode

I am developing applications for iOS in Swift. Xcode is the only tool I can think of that would do the job.

Xcode review by <span>Jorge C.</span>
Jorge C.

"Reviewing Xcode"

What do you like best?

I really like Xcode because integrates all the tools which I required for developed my apps. Firstly, there is the source code that is very clean comparying with others IDEs, then is the process of debugging that is excellent and lastly the designing. Design in Xcode is really easy, also migrate an app from a phone to a tablet and vice versa is much easier than it is when developing for Android using Android Studio

I almost forgot, uploading to the App Store using Xcode is amazing.

What do you dislike?

At the beginning it takes a while to master the tool, the language, and how to integrate external frameworks. At first, I didn't like the need of a Mac to begin to develop for Apple but then I was happy with my mac and other products of Apple.

The other thing I didn't like was that, I needed a developer account to see my apps in my telephone. With others technologies I think is easier to test your apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to make iOS apps you pretty much have to use Xcode. There is no other way :D

The big news is that is free, considering the "custom" of iOS and OS X (Apple) to charge us for each one of the truly useful applications you want to install, it is an important advance.

The benefits I see is that Xcode is Apple’s all-in-one integrated development environment, offering state-of-the-art features like a graphical interface builder and a syntax-aware and compiler-aware source editor.

Xcode review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Clean Interface"

What do you like best?

I like that Xcode sets so much up for you, and tries to give you easily customizable previews for different screen sizes and how you want your workstation to appear.

What do you dislike?

I think sometimes it can be a little too user friendly just in the way that it tries to set up templates or projects for you. At certain times you want more control to the nitty gritty details of your applications, instead of having to fill in input fields of how to set up your app. Maybe that's just the terminal guy in me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super easy to figure out the navigation of the program. Good layout for UX

Building apps for the company that will make our information easily accesible to our constituents. The easier and faster it is for me to engineer apps, the better for the company and constituents. Saves money, time, stress.

Xcode review by <span>Edward J.</span>
Edward J.

"Beautiful, sleek, professional editor"

What do you like best?

I like Xcode because it’s nice, sleek, and efficient. Despite there being a few cons to this program, Xcode has many pros. Xcode is built for Mac which makes it work very well. I like how there are many people around the world that use the program. This gives it support if there ever comes a problem in the software. The software handles Swift and Objective-C natively and can also handle other languages such as C++.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like how it crashes from time to time. Once in a while, Xcode will just crash for no reason.

I realized that it’s a good software despite the flaws and that it’s the only software available.

Xcode review by <span>Dimitar C.</span>
Dimitar C.

"Apple's primary IDE for iOS development does a pretty good job"

What do you like best?

It has tons of useful features - you can easily code an app from start to finish only using Xcode. It has a good Git support. Great debugging and profiling. It supports themes and is extendable. Its code completion is great. It supports every part of development and you can use it to develop for iOS, tvOS, WatchOS and lately even for server-side Swift development. You can send the app you built directly to the App Store from within Xcode. Having simulators for all the devices your users will be using means you don't have to have all the devices yourself.

What do you dislike?

Debugging in Swift is a bit harder than in Objective C - for example, there is no auto complete for variables in the debug console in Swift unlike when using Objective C. Although it does a good job organising your various certificates and provisioning profiles, it sometimes tends to mess things up and you have to do a lot of googling before being able to get back on track. The latest version usually doesn't support older devices and iOS versions which means you have to keep several (at least two) versions of Xcode if you want to support older devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode remains the best option for developing apps for iOS in my opinion. You should definitely get familiar with it even if you end up using something else as most companies you are gonna work for will be using it.

It's a stable IDE and helps a lot to minimise the amount of bugs we have in our code. Its integration with Git means we don't need to use outside tool to commit our code.

Xcode review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Xcode for Automated Testing of Mobile Apps"

What do you like best?

Once you get the hang of it, Xcode is pretty easy to use. It's easy to set breakpoints and debug your code, in order to see what's going on as you move through the code. It gives us access to all the mobile platforms we need - iOS, Android, etc. We can run simulators or emulators.

What do you dislike?

Running simulators/emulators, instead of real devices, is rather slow. Granted we run our tests in parallel to speed things up, but it is very slow when using simulators/emulators to perform mobile automation testing. Xcode does have a tendency to crash a lot. Be prepared to restart things!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the tutorials and it'd be great if you can have someone show you all the small intricacies.

We use Xcode in order to run Appium based tests, which run our mobile tests on such devices as iOS, Android and various other mobile platforms.

Xcode review by User in Information Technology and Services

"One of the Best Tool to develop iOS Mobile Applications and OS X Applications"

What do you like best?

* Integrated tools for developing the simple to complex mobile applications from scratch

* User Interface Unit Testing frameworks to support the testing the application with complex user interface that is usually hard to test

* Supporting the installation of multiple simulators to verify the application functionality across multiple devices

What do you dislike?

* The Code Rippon option to fold and unfold the code block is missing in XCode 9

* The time to take to compile and build the application is very high in XCode 9

* SOurce COntrol is very basic

* Code Merge Conflicts on Storyboards needs to be handled in the better way in near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

* To develop simple to complex mobile applications for iOS platform we can go ahead with this tool and Use of new programming language Swift makes anyone can easily code and develop mobile applications as well as MAC-based applications

* Supporting the development of custom mobile applications for iOS using simple templates available part of the package

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Not the best, but not much better options"

What do you like best?

I have a love/hate relationship with storyboard/interface builder. The parts about it that I like are the nice visual representation of the flow/ux of your application. It can show more than one page at a time in a nice flow. You can also edit a lot of things in storyboard/interface builder very easily if you get past the learning curve.

What do you dislike?

The storyboard/interface builder can be great for simple to moderate tasks, and sometimes complicated stuff. However, it hides all of the horrendous code that it uses to produce that markup, and to tweak more advanced stuff is a lot more complicated. So often you end up with a bizarre mix if settings inside of storyboard/interface builder along with manually changing settings from the viewcontroller (which isn't event the code behind the view). Also, I've found storyboard/interface builder errors to be incredibly hard to debug. It is so painful and I have wasted so much time because of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can feel like a necessary evil. But if you can get passed its large learning curve, you'll be able to get done what you need to. It just might be a bit more tedious/painful than you would expect from developing with something like Visual Studio, IMO.

Xcode is Apples platform for building their apps. We as a dev shop use it to build iOS apps and MacOS apps. We typically use the latest supported language which is currently a version of Swift. The benefits are that it has integrations into the apple ecosystem which has its own pluses/minuses. Despite the pain, it has been much better for us than the crossplatform options that we have tried, like Xamarin, ReactNative, and Ionic.

Xcode review by <span>Michele C.</span>
Michele C.

"The development environment according to Apple"

What do you like best?

Xcode has a very clean user interface, but it is as powerful as a development environment should be. It doesn't support just the mainstream technologies, like Objective "C" and Swift, but also different languages and build techniques, so it is useful for a wider spectrum of tasks other than strict MacOS development.

Swift support is fantastic. A playground is an environment which allows to write experimental code and see its effects, like the changing of variables. It is better than using an interpreter.

What do you dislike?

So far, I did not single out specific shortcomings worth noting. Obviously there are things that I might like more in Eclipse or Visual Studio, but none of them is competition to XCode

An indispensabile tool for MacOS and iOS development

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Good Tool - But Can Be Better"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very friendly for developers. My favorite is the adaptive layout system that allow developers to preview the screens on different devices. The integration with Apple's iTunes Connect is also great, creating a seamless process for distribution apps. It is already a very mature product and have a good backward compatibility.

What do you dislike?

Still a lot of bugs that will cause crash. For example, crash happens when switching branches to perform version control. I believe this will soon be fixed, but it is annoying. More over the simulator features are just way too slow for the first launch and consumes a lot of memory. Last but not least, it needs more than 16GB free space when installing the XCode.

Basically, all iOS apps need to built upon Xcode. The framework and the guidelines of the Xcode has also helped our cross function teams to learn and adapt Apple's eco system. We like the way that Xcode directs developers to think from users' point of views.

Xcode review by User

"Native iOS Developer with 3 years of experience"

What do you like best?

It's pretty much the only tool you can use if you want to develop native iOS or MacOS apps. Even if you use another framework to develop iOS/MacOS apps (such as RubyMotion, Phonegap, Xamarin, React Native etc), you still need to use Xcode to build, run and eventually publish your app.

That being said, Xcode is a great IDE and does its job well. The compiler can help you catch a lot of errors before you build/run your code. The debugger offers plenty of features. The interface builder helps you visualize what your app looks like before you build it. Also comes with Xcode is a list of simulators ranging from iPhone 4 to iPad Pro that are helpful if you do not have a particular type of device, although it should be noted that for a lot of features (e.g. TouchID, push notification) you do need a physical device to test.

The support community is huge. If you have an Xcode-related question, chances are you can find answers to your question on stackoverflow or a developer's blog.

Great community of developers

What do you dislike?

If you're used to coding in your favorite text editor (e.g. sublime), coding in Xcode may take some time getting used to. Here are some particular pain points:

1) Provisioning profile (configuring your and your device's credentials so you can build/run apps on a device) can be a huge pain if you're not used to Apple's way of signing apps.

2) Interface builder can crash often if it gets too big

3) Xcode can take up a lot of memory

4) Apple releases frequent updates to Xcode (concurrent with its MacOS release schedule) so there may be limited support for a new feature

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're new to iOS/MacOS development using Xcode, try to build simple apps using a good tutorial (such as raywenderlich.com). Once you've done that, you've likely figured out how to deal with most of the pain points in using Xcode.

I use Xcode to develop, release and maintain the apps my company builds

"Most Excellent IDE"

What do you like best?

"It's all in there" like the Ragu™ TV commercial. There's nothing you need to add, but can I stall Cocoa pods if appropriate. Otherwise it's as thought out as OS X and started at the same time, so have the debugger, source view and control, interface builder, tests, full documentation, and instruments, with smart shortcuts and customizations and completion for the languages and frameworks, it does s lot to help productivity at every phase without getting too cluttered. Compared to other IDEs, it's kind of a miracle,

What do you dislike?

Xcode has changed a bit over the years, for example introducing TDD or test driving development, and there were initially no ways to debug tests, but it always improves. It's up to users to keep their project ogprgmaizes well, and the number of settings can be daunting for new users who want or need to do so,etching outside of the ordinary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Uses the sample projects, don't try to learn everything st once, but do take advantage of builtin tutorials and others' expert knowledge. Getting facile with this tool can make a huge difference.

Also look at Playgrounds, anaigmemted emhacement to learning Swift that works on iOS.

Software development and productivity in all its phases to create the most robust and maintainable source base possible in a collaborative manner.

Xcode review by User in Computer Software

"Xcode is a nice environment, but difficult to learn at first!"

What do you like best?

I liked being able to see the storyboard very clearly with the components all laid out.

What do you dislike?

I disliked how confusing it was at first; I didn't know how to connect certain parts of the storyboard to others despite going through a tutorial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say to go through a quick tutorial, then try to dive into a project! You'll be able to learn the most by putting yourself out there and trying to figure things out.

I have realized the benefit of using Xcode because most iOS developers use it. Because of that, it's become very universal.

Xcode review by <span>Alonso P.</span>
Alonso P.

"An Awesome tool to develop on Mac "

What do you like best?

I like the versatility to develop programs on desktop and mobile, also the new features makes you as a developer to get in to it even more.

What do you dislike?

If I want to upload an app to the appstore, I need a Developer license, I'm agree with that because it's the way that Apple has to validate you as a Developer, but I totally disagree that the license's term it just for a year and besides that, it is expensive

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you want to try develop on Mac this is a complete solution also if you want to take the advantage about the new feature you can do with other programs la Unity, when your done with your project you can build on Xcode an test it on your smartphone.

Something that catch my attention was that Now on Xcode you don't need a Developer license or Developer count to test on your smartphone your apps, with this new feature allows you to check if everything is working well or where you can find a bug.

Xcode review by <span>Damian N.</span>
Damian N.

"Great tool but contains a lot of bugs"

What do you like best?

Simplicity is the best thing in XCode IDE. GUI is clear and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

A lot of situation with well-known message "Xcode quit unexpectly" make me craze. There should be more tools for text/words searching and replacing (Android Studio is good example of great text editing tools).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use save button quite often :)

I develop my applications in XCode

Xcode review by <span>Christopher H.</span>
Christopher H.

"No way around it, but I wish there was one"

What do you like best?

It's what you have to use if you want to develop for iOS, and it's not without features. The ability to switch between code, the view, and the code and view side by side is excellent, but difficult on smaller screens. Debugging features are relatively intuitive relative to other IDE's. It gives a clear view of the project hierarchy and makes it simple to set up the necessary folders. Playgrounds make it easy to pick up the new swift language, which xcode works very well with. The virtual device works much better than comparable devices on other IDEs.

What do you dislike?

Xcode takes up a ton of screen space (not that there are really non-screen-intensive IDE's, but there are definitely ones with less screen space overhead, like intelliJ IDEA). Advanced features are difficult to find, but very useful once found. Based on how hard it is to figure out how to hide sidebars, there are likely powerful features that are nearly impossible to find. An IDE shouldn't need to be so complicated though, especially one for relatively simple development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using this for iOS development, it's your only option. For anything else, there are probably IDE's that cost a bit more that can work better, definitely look into those. I used this when I was learning C++ and I think I could have saved a fair amount of time by just learning my way around the command line and a text editor.

For anything other than iOS development, the major benefit is that it runs natively and easily on mac, no need for any complicated downloads, but there is likely a better IDE for whatever task is at hand. For mobile development, the major benefit is that Xcode can be used for iOS development. Along with that, it is built relatively well for iOS development, allowing quick virtual demoing and a direct view -> view controller display.

Xcode review by User in Higher Education

"Xcode Review"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about xcode is that it is free. It updates frequently with my macbook. It has everything I need integrated into it already. Its a pretty popular software too so if I have issues or errors I don't understand I can easily google it. Typically xcode already tells you what the errors are though, but if I need more of an explanation I can still google it. Its also really really cool to download themes I'm familiar with to. Like I use sublime for html and css and I've gotten comfortable with that so I downloaded a similar dark theme for Xcode. It's the little things that count.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you have to go through way too much to get apps published. Dealing with certificates and licenses and all that. It kind of becomes a hassle. I do however understand why they expect these things. It still doesn't mean its not annoying though. Xcode version 8 did indeed help get through the process a bit more easily though. So I'm thankful for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your using Xcode from the beginning like I did I would suggest reading A LOT of stuff about it first to understand the features. I dove right in and was very confused and overwhelmed at first and I ended up saying forget it. But of friend of mine who knew it showed me the best beginner tutorials and that got me back into it slowly.

Xcode allows me and my peers develop a recycling app for our campus. Its a school project we've been working on. Theres a few of us designing it on a PC for android users and a few of us designing it for iOS users.

Xcode review by <span>Martino B.</span>
Martino B.

"Slow and buggy"

What do you like best?

Every update became better than before. In my opinion is the best development tool for Mac and sill the only one for submit apps for App Store and Ma App Store.

What do you dislike?

It's slow and not reliable, due to Apple mechanism for security the tool follow too many steps to reach your goal. The debugging is not so clear and let the developers lost hours to solve issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient and follow all Apple documentation, that's the only one solution to solve every issues.

Create an app and submit to the App Store. Continue to developing and update my product, follow new API and improve my project.

Xcode review by <span>Magus P.</span>
Magus P.

"A very intuitive IDE –but it has its flaws 😬"

What do you like best?

Xcode has to be one of my favorite IDE. It's very user friendly in comparison to everything else on the market 👍.

What do you dislike?

It does have a reputation for hogging a lot of RAM and CPU... It really made me consider upgrading my 2-year old Mac 😢

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xcode is easily one of the better options available for compiling and running programming languages such as C++, Objective C, and Swift. It analyzes the details of your project to identify errors in both syntax and logic, and can even help fix your code for you. Developers can also use it as a very powerful text editor for mark up and programming languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript and Java – for any one that does not want to pay for much premium options such as Sublime Text, this a great alternative. It works very well in conjunction to the Terminal.

Its ease of use is noticeable from first use, and can be easily learned within the use of a day or two. It includes everything you need to create amazing apps for not only Apple's ecosystem but secretly others too. Features like interface testing can even record your app in action and generate tests for you.

The only downside I would say is that, unless developers have the latest Macs, expect it so perform semi-fast/semi-slow... It can hog A LOT of CPU and RAM in little to no time –but can be ultimately worth it!

Helps me translate my app ideas from paper to reality... Benefits include live syntax error, and semi-auto corrections.

Xcode review by <span>chen l.</span>
chen l.

"expensive xcode user for Mac and iOS app developement"

What do you like best?

easy to trace with git hub; easy to find the functions/variables definition. easy for debugging.. Swap between different files which are opened very convenience.

What do you dislike?

For iOS, always need add new purchased device ID into development list. Very frustrated every time to do so. Why can not only do it if need release the app.

Use Xcode to develop Mac & iOS app.

Xcode review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software

"Full-featured environment for writing apps in SWIFT"

What do you like best?

XCode has awesome features for writing, debugging and deploying iOS and Mac OS X apps. The built-in connection to the apple developer accounts and itunes connect make publishing apps very easy. The code editor is clean and the debugging tools are very helpful and intuitive. It's easy to play around with swift if your not yet familiar with this language. The Editor shows compiling errors right next to your code while your are writing which is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

You need some time to get familiar with the IDEs interface and the editor in general. Especially the settings files / project settings are very confusing at the beginning if you don't know what those settings do and how they affect your app. There could be more helpful information in the interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

Actually there is no alternativ to XCode if you want to build native iOS app on your own. You may need a few minutes to get comfortable with the UI and the tool set of XCode

When writing Apps für iOS and OS X this is the only software to use. Debugging and deploying apps is easy as never before!

Xcode review by <span>Eric H.</span>
Eric H.

"Great application if you have a big screen"

What do you like best?

The layout and auto completion is excellent. The ability to use a simulator to test your app while you're developing is invaluable. The latest version of Xcode allows you to install your application directly on your iPhone, which makes real-world testing a very good possibility without having to pay the Apple developer annual license fee.

What do you dislike?

In order to effectively use all the panes, having a large monitor is extremely useful. While you can use only a laptop to develop an app-- and the layout buttons are created as such that you can easily hide or display panes-- it is a much easier process to have a nice wide screen so you can have all available panes at your fingertips. The storyboard layout along with the files and the code itself is much easier to wrangle when you have them all showing at once, rather than toggling the panes on and off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As for now, it's really the only game in town if you want to develop native iOS applications. There are other ways of creating iPhone apps, but none have the native simplicity as using Xcode.

Creating an app for a solution that didn't exist before I created it. The benefit is exclusive content on a targeted iOS platform.

Xcode review by User in Higher Education

"Its good and user friendly"

What do you like best?

The simplistic and very user friendly design makes it the best coding app for the developers. Apple adds more flavors to the design of Xcode. I really love it for writing python and c++ codes. The preloaded plugins help me remember all the syntaxes.

What do you dislike?

I am not happy with the size of the Xcode application. Its 1.2 GB and with its data it becomes almost 2 GB. It becomes a very difficult to keep it and install it for the coders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its really good and does its job if you are looking a platform to code on Mac.

I am using it for writing c++ codes. I am a computational chemist and number crunching is a major part in our research. Xcode proves to be an awesome tool for the day to day coding.

Xcode review by <span>Satish B.</span>
Satish B.

"One of the best IDE for swift development."

What do you like best?

Wireless debugging, New Inbuilt xcode sever.

New source control navigator with integrated support for Github eased my open-source development a lot easy.

And about IDE the one of the best ide that i have used, great ergonomic and Auto suggestion are yhe best.

What do you dislike?

It only support mac os operating system.

In our company we do all ios and mac software development on xcode only.

Xcode review by <span>Mihai C.</span>
Mihai C.

"Used for a year, find it lacking"

What do you like best?

Fast, easy to use in terms of project settings. Nice error highlighting, quite competent debugger.

What do you dislike?

Complicated scheme editing, navigating through references is a pain, shortcuts are awkward. It is a pain to refactor code in it. Finding out values of variables during debugging is also a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are comming from Visual Studio like me, it will be hard to use. However it is the best tool to be used if you are developing software for Unix based systems and you need a solid IDE.

Developing systems targeted at Unix based systems. Remote debugging on various devices. Profiling and remote profiling.

Xcode review by <span>Mihai V.</span>
Mihai V.

"Very stable and easy to use for Apple related development."

What do you like best?

As I said in the title, it is fully compatible with macs, easy to use, very fast and efficient when it comes about doing iOS or MAC related development.

What do you dislike?

It still lacks some key features when it is about coding in c/c++, such as autocompletion related bugs. Animations and scrolling are laggy when there is a lot of code in the editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I fully recommend others to use Xcode when they want to develop algorithms and data structures in C++ or they just use it for mobile development in iOS. It is a top IDE and still a lot better than other third party IDE's related to iOS development.

I have been using it mostly for iOS and MAC development, as well as for online competitions related to algorithms and data structures when I prefer to solve the problems in C++.

Xcode review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great for iOS and C++ development"

What do you like best?

XCode is a powerful and fairly intuitive IDE. It has great profiling and debugging support as well as developer assistance in the way of auto correct and complete.

What do you dislike?

Some of the ways XCode likes to accomplish things, such as tab management and to an extent project management are a little clunky and at times frustrating.

XCode is the defacto tool for developing iOS applications and is very powerful for this purpose. However it is not limited to just that, developing native C++ projects is also quite nice in XCode.

Xcode review by <span>Shady E.</span>
Shady E.

"Xcode the only IDE you need for iOS/Mac OS development"

What do you like best?

Fast compilation for big projects that have a lot of dependencies. Git source control integration also makes developing big projects much easier.

What do you dislike?

A lot of crashes and code completion bugs. Debugging on Xcode needs to be improved too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn objective-c / swift memory management before you start developing apps on Xcode

Developing native mobile apps for our clients that run on difference screen sizes. It also makes applications distribution much easier & simpler.

Xcode review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Constantly improving but still a lot of room for improvement."

What do you like best?

It has brilliant integration with the iOS developer ecosystem. The iOS simulators work well and there is now even wireless debugging on iOS devices. Support for provisioning apps and certificates has improved drastically over the last year.

What do you dislike?

I find the debugging support very lacking, even what should be a simple feature, like viewing variables, is poorly implemented. It is difficult to track down the cause of application crashes etc, this area of the application is really due for improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are developing for the Mac/iOS then you now have several choices including offerings from Microsoft. I would recommend however that for native iOS apps you use Xcode as it provides the richest feature set and tight integration with the App Store for distribution and support.

Xcode allows my business to build and distribute iOS apps.

Xcode review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Powerful IDE"

What do you like best?

Tight integration with Swift Library and Packages

All in one solution for iOS, Mac OS, and Apple Watch Application Development

Free to use, and plenty of excellent libraries and plugins

Large community of developers

What do you dislike?

1. Lack of the robust code completion features compared to other IDE

2. Occasional crashes, and reliability issue with Swift 4

3. Clunky Interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an invaluable tool if you are developing app natively for Mac and IOS.

Mac and iOS-centric application development. Basically, for most front-end development of native apps for Apple Software ecosystem, X-code is all what you've need.