XenDesktop

Citrix XenDesktop is a VDI solution that transforms applications into a secure on-demand service available to any user, anywhere, on any device.

Work for XenDesktop?

Learning about XenDesktop?

XenDesktop Reviews

Showing 91 XenDesktop reviews
XenDesktop review by Jaime Alberto R.
Jaime Alberto R.

"xendesktop and how I stop buying PCs."

What do you like best?

it works perfectly. It allow us to virtualize operating systems (windows, linux) and also apps. They run very smoothly. It is very difficult to identify when an app is running locally or remotely with citrix. Operating system performance is much better on citrix. People have access to their "computers" anytime, anywhere, anydevice. It has been a hit in our university. We have around 1400 VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure)

What do you dislike?

Mac is not allowed because Apple restrictions, not because citrix technology

Recommendations to others considering the product

when evaluating to PCs vs VDI, I suggest to include all costs as maintenance, support, and particularly productive improvement.

I stop buying computers since 4 years ago. Instead I replaced them with Light Clients which has no mobil parts so never get hardware problems. My professors can ask for more memory, more cpu, more gpu o more space easely and we can serve them very fast. Before, when we used PCs, if a professors ask us for more memory we took 3 months looking for it, backing up the pc, installing the memory, etc. Now, it just take us a couple of minutes. It is much more cheaper to have VDi than PCs... (around 20% less per year).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about XenDesktop
XenDesktop review by Lauren F.
Lauren F.

"Convenient for accessing network applications and working remotely"

What do you like best?

I can be anywhere and access all the key applications right from Citrix as well as do a Remote Desktop through the Citrix interface. We had a disaster occur a couple of years ago and I had to work remotely through Citrix for 9 weeks. Our clients said had we not told them about our situation they would not have known. Citrix enabled us to access resources and applications on our network with such ease. I truly do appreciate the product!

What do you dislike?

If I'm having to borrow someone else's computer to get in Citrix, then I need to install the Receiver and the triCerat ScrewDrivers. This takes such a long time to get set up. Often the audio and video quality in training through Citrix displays with a lower quality than when I'm outside of Citrix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's hard to say since I truly just get to use the product and don't have to consider implementation and troubleshooting when there are upgrades.

Citrix allows me to remotely access files and desktop applications that operate in my work's secure network environment. I can securely and safely use Remote Desktop through the Citrix environment as well.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

"Good But Slow"

What do you like best?

its a simple system that allows users with IT experience to get started. We moved from Microsoft DOS to this and it is much better, however there are better options on the market.

What do you dislike?

I wish this was a bit smoother, for example when we change something we have to manually make that change on each physical device. This creates a lot of extra work for the IT department. I wish would just send an update request and do them at the end of the business day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really look at all of the needs you think you'll have and then ask questions based off of real needs vs. wants.

This is a great minimum ability software that will get the job done but it has no bells and whistles.

it has definitely increased productivity on the desktop and mobile side. However we came from such an old system that anything would be night and day.

XenDesktop review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Media Strategist"

What do you like best?

Astheicly pleasing and simple layout. Easy access to help functions and tutorials. Easy to change password. SBMS and VIEW layouts easy to find and customize. Easy to log in and off. Easy to group accordingly. Easy to refresh if needed. Resources are readily available and listed in clear and simple manner so they are easy to find. Also enjoy the 'hint' feature that shares tips and help on a daily or frequent basis.

What do you dislike?

Theres not too much to dislike since we are only talking about the citrix homepage and not the functionality of te apps themselves. It serves its purpose and does so in a way that is not confusing or conveluded. If i was to pick something that I dislike, it would be the conent portion of the options is lacking. It lists 5 options for me that link to web resources. If those resources were available offline or if they had additional resources available based on what i most frequently use. That could be helpful.

I am using primarily to schedule and buy media and client reporting. Makes the buying process a lot faster and cleaner since insertion orders can be easily entered and adjusted, and makes reporting very simple.

XenDesktop review by Mary Kylee R.
Mary Kylee R.

"Necessary Evil"

What do you like best?

I like that this software allows me to work from home and access the same desktop that I would get at work. I can connect securely and relatively simply. It is a reliable product and works as expected.

What do you dislike?

This software requires an internet connection and provides a virtual desktop. We have a Fiber connection at my home and reliable and fast internet, even so, I find that there is a significant lag when using the Citrix desktop. It is difficult to switch between applications. Even the most simple tasks such as creating a document are hindered by the lag. There is a distinct lag in even getting your cursor at a specific place in the document. Tasks that are usually simple, such as resizing a screen in Windows are slow and bulky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Patience is key.

I need a secure connection to my desktop when I work from home. This software does solve this problem. We have upgraded to this from a previous solution. It is better and allows me to see my desktop exactly as I would at work, rather than a suite of applications I can use, but offers me a slow and frustrating experience.

XenDesktop review by Emily P.
Emily P.

"This probably works for light usage."

What do you like best?

I can have access to the main servers in our company without having to be on a Windows computer (due to our security policy).

What do you dislike?

I find it to be slow, the graphic quality is not good. Using a mac I have had issues over the years with the client not meshing well with the browser I am using and multiple issues of an .ica file downloading instead of loading in the client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to manage virtual desktops in multiple locations this software is good on an enterprise level.

We are a large company over a large geographic area that needs to share information. Using the XenDesktop is good for our IT to be able to manage multiple users and their software without having thousands of different workstations.

XenDesktop review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Makes remote work possible, but some issues for sure."

What do you like best?

Allows access to my work materials and software from the comfort and reliability of my personal system. I am able to transition from desktop to laptop without issue, and have also had reasonable experiences on a thin client.

What do you dislike?

The lag is unbearable at times. I've seen the gamut of issues including frequent hung sessions, random performance issues, and crashing. I'm not sure if that's our iteration of it, or perhaps our internal network, but it can be very agrivating at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a reliable internet and network connections. Any disruptions can lead to some major productivity issues.

I am a remote employee and it enables me to do my work in a remote setting. Our local office recently ceased operations, and I would be without a job currently without having access to it

XenDesktop review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Citrix UI for VDI does not support application arrangement on dual monitors"

What do you like best?

That I can get to my VDI from anywhere at anytime.

What do you dislike?

When you have dual monitors, and you open multiple windows, and have to switch back and forth between machines, whenever you go back to your VDI via Citrix, the windows are re-arranged and over lay each other on only one monitor. It does not hold your window positions from how you left them if you switch mahcines. Also, when switching it take several seconds for the screen to refresh.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it so your arrangement of windows stays the same with Dual Monitors when switching between machines.

Deploying VDIs to users across the Enterprise.

XenDesktop review by Brian H.
Brian H.

"Citrix as a solution"

What do you like best?

Supports multiple end point devices, with smooth transitioning when switching which endpoint device you are using.

Supports 3 different types of hypervisors, XenServer, Hyper-V and vmware ESXi.

What do you dislike?

Ease of setup and configuration. Many components that need to be installed and performance issues occur when you multi purpose the components.

Non-Persistent desktops are very difficult to setup when using PVS (Provisioning Services).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Product keeps getting easier and easier to install. If you had issues before in versions 5 and 6, 7 makes it that much easier.

PVS, although difficult to get going, works beautifully when implemented properly as deploying to endpoints on-premise is as simple as setting up PXE.

Also, with the support of multiple hypervisiors, it can be implemented without having to change your existing infrastructure.

Desktop mobility for users on the go that do not want to carry a full size laptop.

XenDesktop allows powerful desktops that will not drain a users battery when mobile computing.

XenDesktop review by John A.
John A.

"Works well for VDI - many options for your Enterprise..."

What do you like best?

Citrix XenDesktop allows you to leverage pre-existent infrastructure to get VDI up and going in your business. Now that being said - SMB's will still eventually past very small deployments go to separated infrastructure to house your VDI environments as larger loads will put more obvious stress on your components such as the hypervisor.

Of note - the ability to spin up images from a golden image quickly, cleanly and easily makes maintenance and monitoring a snap.

What do you dislike?

Something this complex has moving parts. In this case - many MANY moving parts. Something of note - if you do not have a desktop engineer, a virtual engineer and Citrix engineer this will prove to be a daunting task - as the parts are numerous and many.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into it - it certainly is a market leader for now - but make sure you test and roll out in a small batch - you will find this will stress your environment in ways you may have not thought nor considered.

Being able to be nimble in desktop deployment, having the ability to separate and control desktop environments and the biggest one - having the ability to have redundant available desktops anywhere in the world for your task force are awesome things that Xendesktop gives you.

XenDesktop review by Susan H.
Susan H.

"Citrix Experience "

What do you like best?

My Citrix Experience has been overall pretty good. It is nice being able to work from home with it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it does freeze up and also shows a ghost screen when you are trying to go somewhere else.

Being able to work from home. Also having multiple people be able to use the same files through the shared drive.

XenDesktop review by Faraz F.
Faraz F.

"Fast and Reliable"

What do you like best?

One thing worth mentioning about Zen is that it supports all the hypervisors which you usually don't see in other virtualization software. Zen is also very easy to use and does not require much time and energy to implement in your business.

What do you dislike?

HDX is one of the features that you hear a lot when you want to buy this product but I personally couldn't see much of difference using zen. Also portable device experience is not as smooth as your desktop (however already expected).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are after a standardized work environment for your workers this product will work fine for you.

Most of our researchers do not really require a personalized virtual environment and a standard framework works the best for them as they deal with data and analysis most of the time not heavy processes. This also helps tremendously when it comes to troubleshooting.

XenDesktop review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"XenDesktop Review from an expert by Andrew Mostovoy"

What do you like best?

Protocol performance, PVS as a delivery mechanism, simple client distribution, overall Citrix product suite support and integration with things like Branch Repeater and NetScaler is pretty nice.. Merging XenApp application delivery is a step in the right direction. The concept of groups and catalogs is quite nice and offers more flexibility than the competition. Support for 3D use cases has come a long way with Nvidia GRID support for vSphere.

What do you dislike?

Managing the implementation is significantly more cumbersome than Horizon View. The new GUI overlays are like pig with lipstick. Things need to be redeveloped.

There is usually a big gap when deploying XenDesktop on vSphere. Most implementations are in fact on vSphere, but Citrix likes to pretend that VMware doesn't exist and thus has very limited support for this combination.

There is some confusion over what version of Receiver we are to use to support all aspects of XenDesktop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan your implementation. Use Citrix' planning guides and documentation first. Have a vision AND a strategy for your deployment. Prepare for the cost and if you need to justify its expense which is higher than VMware View, be prepared.

A wide swath from containing data to providing a flexible work space to long-term cost avoidance. Most recent implementation that I was involved with was at a major hospital system. Clinical care stations running XenDesktop are well-received by the nurses.

XenDesktop review by Stan D.
Stan D.

"XenDesktop is the future in Virtualisation world"

What do you like best?

Possibility to securely connect from any devise to remote desktop/application. Citrix support with additional package helps to keep the XD infra functional in good shape.

What do you dislike?

Complexity and troubleshooting sometime is real challenge. Some weird errors appear from nothing and google mostly helps but not with new product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure experienced specialists are hired and environment and management are ready for.

Provide possibility to utilize servers vs laptops/PCs and centrally manage and update. different application versions can be provided for the same user which isn't not possible to implement on laptop/workstation. Let users perform teleworking, reduces electric bills for the company, reduce HW costs for user's platform. Ultimately will substitute laptops/PCs

XenDesktop review by User in Computer Software

"Not the best for a Mobile Desktop"

What do you like best?

I'm not a huge fan of Citrix. But we are a small branch, and it works well enough for our small team.

What do you dislike?

It's clunky. Once you have a certain number of Apps open it will say you can't open any more. The number of apps you can have open seem to change by the hour. I use dual screens and when I remove my laptop, any app opened through Citirx will crash. I have to log out and then log back in. In the grand scheme of things, It's not a big deal, just a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the first time I have ever needed/used a mobile desktop, I am not very impressed with this.

Citrix allows me to work remotely but keeping sensitive info on a secure network, as opposed to my home one.

XenDesktop review by Kassandra B.
Kassandra B.

"Great, but can lag at times."

What do you like best?

I love that citrix creates its own window, so that if somebody that doesn't work for the company come in and tries to use it, they have a difficult time.

What do you dislike?

Citrix can lag at certain times, it takes a while to load up as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it, it can help your company out a lot. I do believe that it's nice because your employees have an easier time having access to all work applications in one place.

Keeping all of the work applications in one place.

XenDesktop review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Awesme accessibility"

What do you like best?

With an internet connection, you basically have everything at your fingertips. That allows you to work remotely and enables me to access information from a site if needed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a little slow and gets bogged down from time to time. It causes a different set of issues when adding devices and such to the cloud. A little more than just plugging it into the internet and going, which makes some of the troubleshooting I do a little trickier as that is not my primary focus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good set up and allows a good quick and reliable connection to the "work station". Goo on mobile devices as well, although the smaller screen of my iPhone is a little tough it would be awesome on a tablet in the field to reference information.

We originally had a server sitting in the back collecting dust and info and eventually we started running out of room of course and it was begin to crap out. Going to the cloud allowed us more space and coupled that with better accessibility and mobility with what we are doing.

XenDesktop review by Brad R.
Brad R.

"Computer connectivity at your fingertips"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to install, set up, and troubleshoot Citrix as needed. The web site is very user-friendly and clean looking. Installation on your computer is a breeze. The only trouble I've ever experienced are when I upgraded to Windows 10, but a quick re-install fixed everything.

What do you dislike?

I do wish the initial connection was a bit faster, but that also may be in part due to the server that I'm connecting to. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do encounter any issues during setup, the Citrix support team is very helpful.

I'm using Citrix to connect remotely to my work computer almost daily.

XenDesktop review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Citrix XenDesktop is fantastic!"

What do you like best?

It is so easy to download the app to any device, connect to my desktop and get my work done from anywhere.

What do you dislike?

Every now and then latency is an issue, though I think this could also be related to a slow network connection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Citrix XenDesktop has saved us time and money as an organization. We no longer deploy individual pcs to each employee. They now use a Wyse client that accesses the desktop. Remote employees are able to connect to their desktop from anywhere as long as they have an internet connection. Updates to applications are easier to manage as they are done one time and then deployed to a group of users.

Much easier to manage. Saving us money on equipment as we no longer need desktop pcs for each and every employee. Updates to applications are easier to manage as they are done one time and then deployed to a group of users. Again, the money and time savings are awesome!

XenDesktop review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"We connect to our machines via VDI through Citrix. "

What do you like best?

It's easy to connect to our network and my desktop with Citrix. The connection time is short and the connectivity is not an issue while on the premises. I'm able to easy connect to my office desktop while traveling or sitting at home working remotely. No matter what image I'm connecting to, Citirix makes it easy.

What do you dislike?

I do experience connectivity issues during peak hours when working remotely. When initially installing the Citrix receiver app from my own machine, I experience a great deal of issues. There are multiple pieces of software that must be installed on personal machines for Citrix to function correctly. You must also go to your privacy settings for every browser that you want to use the receive on and enable them to allow Citrix. The process is extremely time consuming, but it is easy to complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be a bit finicky at times, but it is a great piece of software overall. The initial installation on your personal device is time consuming, but it is easy and totally worth the effort/time.

Connecting to our desktops easily from anywhere. The benefits of using Virtual Data Interfaces versus wired and connected modems is substantial. All of our data is housed in one central location and can be accessed by authorized users easily and instantly.

XenDesktop review by User

"Allows me to work from home!"

What do you like best?

It makes my home pc look exactly like my work pc. I can bring up my desktop artwork exactly as I left it and continue working with all of my windows still open.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally it does not connect even when there is good internet, but I think that is probably not a fault of the tool itself. For the most part, it is very dependable.

Just allows me to connect for small things without having tondrive the 40 minutes in to work. It is very convenient.

XenDesktop review by Brianna D.
Brianna D.

"Helpful features, execution could be better"

What do you like best?

It's really convenient to be able to access my files from different computers.

What do you dislike?

It often seems slow or glitchy, and trying to use it on a mobile device is very difficult (though I realize that would be a difficult problem to solve).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Might be worth looking into other programs that could achieve the same goals, but it's useful for what it needs to be.

It's great to be able to access my programs from my home computer or on the go.

XenDesktop review by User in Information Technology and Services

"An amazing virtualization tool"

What do you like best?

I like citrix because it helps with running programs that may not be compatible with your computer. It's a secure environment for business programs.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how it can change your windows appearance settings and you can't change the time out period before it closes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it. It's great for virtualizing programs without having to run a separate OS.

Having to run programs needed to do work without necessarily making people use a different operating system.

XenDesktop review by Ryan J.
Ryan J.

"Effective and efficient virtual access desktop"

What do you like best?

I like that XenDesktop is easy to use and allows me access regardless of where I am.

What do you dislike?

Difficult for new users as it is not the go to program for virtual access and therefore there are less online resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that others should definitely try XenDesktop out as it may make what you are trying to accomplish easier. It suits my company's needs and may do the same for you.

Allows me to virtually access to my work applications and desktop.

XenDesktop review by User in Building Materials
User in Building Materials

"The bain of my exsistance"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to access my apps from almost any device in almost any place. Other than that, there isn't much to like.

What do you dislike?

I am constantly getting disconnected, losing my application specific settings, and have to manually disconnect from servers in order to get a session to start up. Often the windows will open up off of my devices desktop, or they just won't open up at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would consider looking at other solutions available, if any. As just an end user of this software, I don't know what else is available, but if something is...maybe that would be the way to go.

Allowing remote access to your apps and services is an important business issue we are trying to solve. That is the major benefit of this application...other than that it is just a point of frustration for me.

XenDesktop review by Nick P.
Nick P.

"XenDesktop is awesome"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about XenDesktop is that its mission is to enable flexibility for today's mobile workforce and really aims to provide a solution for every use case. And it does that better than the rest of the industry with a deep community to back you up when you need it.

What do you dislike?

Citrix can be slow to innovate at times and of course simplicity for the users usually translates to complexity for the administrators. So, there is a steep learning curve for engineers compared to less feature rich solutions.

Security, remote access, single image management, lab environments, the possibilities are endless and generally defined by Citrix then adopted by the rest of the industry.

XenDesktop review by Alisha F.
Alisha F.

"Citrix Review"

What do you like best?

I liked Citrix the best because it is very simple to use. There are only a few options available to select from that I actually need to use and it's very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that Citrix's makes you log in as well as Adbooker in addition to. It's just one extra user name and password that I have to remember. It would be nice if there were only one single login for both apps.

I use Citrix (adbooker) to bill for our digital insertion orders that come through accounting.

XenDesktop review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Access to work from home"

What do you like best?

I can access work software from home, write notes, check email.

What do you dislike?

It takes several attempts and minutes to log in. It kicks you out the first few times. And then you cannot access everything. For example one cannot access auto deposit/ paychecks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a pretty good software. I don't know of a comparable product so I cannot compare whether there is better or worse.

We are able to access work software, document, bill for services from off campus.

XenDesktop review by Darren W.
Darren W.

"Nice Remote Desktop system"

What do you like best?

We use to remotely login to our network, and even some customers when the need may be. It is simple and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

So hard to setup when using any provisioning system! Also their support for vmware ESXi needs reall improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use provisioning services, contact them and make sure it works.

Our users need to access their desktops when they are on the road or remote.

XenDesktop review by Justin F.
Justin F.

"A swiss army knife of desktop virtualization software"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can launch individual applications via a web portal on any platform and/or mobile device. It's great to be able to securely launch various enterprise applications and utilities on my phone.

What do you dislike?

Graphical performance seems to be sacrificed for optimal speed, but in my opinion that is very minor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save cost and resources by using Citrix XenApp to replace full VM provisioning with access to applications/desktops through XenApp.

The ability to license and run an application without downloading, installing, and configuring on my local machine makes a huge difference. It's also great to have the access to individual applications with only an internet connection and browser.

XenDesktop review by Michael Z.
Michael Z.

"A great way to work off campus network"

What do you like best?

XenDesktop is a great system for our users to work anywhere without worry about university software may not work off campus network. They can connect by using tablets, smartphones, even just a web browser. It is excellent system to reduce IT staff workload, reduce system complexity. Just brilliant!

What do you dislike?

To deploy and maintain this system will need very sophisticated knowledge, from complex network, dedicated servers to robust storage array, a network engineer or system administrator cannot manage it in a easy way.

Users cannot access business system and shared files from off campus network. It simplifies IT infrastructure and management.

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Xendesktop "

What do you like best?

I like that Xendesktop was able to incorporate with VMware very well. We were able to build our environment of VMs and easily get them imported into the desktop controllers and have them populate.

We were also able to allow our helpdesk staff to use a web based version of the console to help troubleshooting prior to hitting higher level engineers. The web console contained a wealth of knowledge that could be passed up the chain and not requiring engineers to track those down.

The management console was very robust and easily laid out. Configuring desktop groups and catalogs was easy and very straight forward.

my FAVORITE part is that the console outputs all of the actions into powershell, which makes it very easy to script able Xendesktop.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that the UI was somewhat clunky. Also the Xendesktop 7 was kind of a drastic change from the Xendesktop 5.5 environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a rock solid platform for any VDI environment and incorporates with VMware vms.

We were implementing a solution where we could manage all VMs from a single location and a single piece of software. This allowed our engineers to pinpoint the errors and our help desk to help relay better information up to the engineers.

XenDesktop review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Warming up to Xen Desktop"

What do you like best?

Remote access to my desktop and server. The interface is clean and it's much faster than I heard it used to be back in the early days.

What do you dislike?

It's not intuitive at all. For access to my servers it does not necessarily know where each of the directories is supposed to be. This makes it difficult to know how to save and if it's saving correctly. Also, I can't use my office email via XenDesktop - we use Outlook desktop log in.

I'm solving the problem of too much work and not enough time. So I can work remotely from home either after being in the office, before being in the office or save myself 3 hours in total commute time for the day.

XenDesktop review by Jerimiah G.
Jerimiah G.

"Great Client for Connection to our Network"

What do you like best?

I love that I can use my Mac to connect to our Windows Server without issues or compatibility issues.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally when I am disconnected I am unable to reconnect to my existing session and requires a new connection which forces me to be logged in to programs twice and IT has to force me out of the programs.

I can use a variety of products to connect to the network which doesn't require a certain brand or type of operating system.

XenDesktop review by Lin P.
Lin P.

"Citrix used across multiple clients and its lovely. "

What do you like best?

Its easy and convenient way to access client apps.

What do you dislike?

Always having to go back and download one extension or the other. Wish it was a way it could stay downloaded after I close the VDI or VPN.

Customer Management Tool that hosts everything else. General Customer request for account management and client services.

XenDesktop review by Ngocngan C.
Ngocngan C.

"Citrix XenDesktop"

What do you like best?

The product was simple to use but it was complex as well. It had a lot of great features. My company loves it and our customer did too.

What do you dislike?

The product can get pretty complex. Our engineers would need training on how to use it.

We architect and deploy XenDesktop and XenApp into our customer envirnoments.

XenDesktop review by Michael W.
Michael W.

"My Review of XenDesktop"

What do you like best?

XenApp and XenDesktop are both very simple to use and are easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

The fact that Citrix Receiver is required as an install on each PC in order to use XenApp and XenDesktop can be confusing to end users.

The ability for users to access virtual desktops and applications from home or off-property make this environment worth having.

XenDesktop review by Andrey P.
Andrey P.

"Great tool for desktop virtualiazation"

What do you like best?

Citrix allows deployment both on-premises and in cloud, helps to isolate personal computers of remote users from your company network infrastructure, provigint all needed application right on virtual desktop.

What do you dislike?

Licensing model is not very clear, need to spent some time to understand what you need

Provision of virtual desktops with alll company approved software to both office and remote users

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Providing Controlled Access "

What do you like best?

The ability to host multiple applications and access to users in and out of network.

What do you dislike?

Citrix in general can be a bit touchy and unstable at times when you have an increase of users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great too to interface securely several business applications to both internal and external users. Using Citrix removes the need to do push notices to each individual user, you can update the application once directly on the hosting server and it's immediate updated for all users.

We have used Citrix to offer access to licensed products to both internal and external team members .

XenDesktop review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Reliable remote desktop for business"

What do you like best?

Reliable, allows me to use my federated company credentials to access a managed environment and access applications I do not have locally

What do you dislike?

Occasionally crashes or has spotty performance

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare with other tools like Amazon WorkSpaces but keep this near the top of your list

Utilizing a managed environment and streamlining business access to tools

XenDesktop review by Rod M.
Rod M.

"Enterprise level reliability - solid product"

What do you like best?

The scalability and powerful manageability of all managed servers and desktops/VDIs. Also love the Citrix vendor support and powerful toolsets to support the product from a Tier 1 perspective all the way to Tier 3.

What do you dislike?

This product is not appropriate for smaller companies (0-500 seats), requires enterprise level expertise and would be too expensive for companies of that size.

Remote access to the corporate network's assets (VDIs, desktops) and applications.

XenDesktop review by Victor V.
Victor V.

"The best desktop virtualization product for today"

What do you like best?

XenDesktop is fast and stable, even if used accross the ocean

What do you dislike?

To hard on your first steps with it, you need to read a lot of documentation before you`ll be able to go-live with it

Allows reote users to securely work with enterprise appoved set of software within enterprise network,

XenDesktop review by Robbie K.
Robbie K.

"Great for CAD"

What do you like best?

Once it's setup and deployed, it offers a very great user experience to the end user. It also supports multi factor authentication and renders 3D work very well.

What do you dislike?

Setup is a pain. There are a lot of components and the terminology is different if you're familiar with VMware. Overall though, setup could be easier

It's fantastic for providing reliable desktops to branch offices or locations where good infrastructure doesn't exist.

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Legal Services
Administrator in Legal Services

"XenApp Review"

What do you like best?

What I like the best about Citrix Xen App is that we are able to manage all of the Citrix Severs and sessions very easily the console is well made.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is when trying to install new versions of the Citrix Receiver there is some trouble with the software removal script. In certain cases it doesn't remove everything from the registry with causes issue on the install of the newer version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out don't think you will be disappointed.

Allowing all of our users to login to High Computing Virtual machines to do all of there scripting.

XenDesktop review by User in Financial Services

"Daily bread and butter with Citrix"

What do you like best?

Use Citrix to login to the firm's network desktop system (NDS) to be able to access the desktop anywhere across the globe . The Citrix platform is a seamless way of being able to stay connected to business.

What do you dislike?

One of the earlier issues that has now been eliminated was that the Citrix platform used to time out after 30 minutes or so. However that limitation has now been alleviated.

Due to privacy limitations I cannot take a screenshot of my Citrix portal

Seamless and uninterrupted access to network desktop across the globe

XenDesktop review by User in Computer Software

"Almost as easy to use as my own desktop"

What do you like best?

I like the response time better than with remote desktop. Using the XenDesktop looks the same as using my own desktop so it's very simple.

What do you dislike?

Some keystrokes that I need to use in my application are reserved keys in XenDesktop which cause erratic behavior at times. The keys can be reassigned but it would be nice to be warned when a reserved key is pressed to prevent the wrong action.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple to use and nothing (other than a plugin) to install. It just works.

I'm able to connect to my out of state clients easily and seamlessly using XenDesktop.

Administrator in Financial Services

"great way to deliver user applicaitons with out installing directly to user desktop"

What do you like best?

You are able to house, restrict, control apps, support and permission applications to specific groups or individuals.

What do you dislike?

disconnecting hung sessions, system needs a better support reporting system.. cause and why.

Recommendations to others considering the product

unknown, im still getting adjusted.

we are using citrix access for old, applications running against new software. example.. we have a finance app that works well with office 2010, and will only work with office 2013 if we upgrade the back end, servers, software and client..

Using citrix we can run the application in citrix with office 2010 and the user workstation can be upgraded to office 2013. great resolution the mean while.

XenDesktop review by Mitch K.
Mitch K.

"XenDesktop is easy to use."

What do you like best?

It is a product that has been around for a number of years. I like it that you can run it a a VDI or you can also configure it just to run applications.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the user profile slows down the system and uses up space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Citrix is a company that has been in the business for a long time and this is a mature product.

Having a VDI in place to use on other devices when one doesn't have access to a physical workstation.

XenDesktop review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Customer Database at your fingertips"

What do you like best?

Very easy to look up customer information with a variety of information inputs. It's my go-to program for my day to day duties.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes gives errors but no tips on how to resolve it. I wish some changes were easier to make.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It may seem difficult to navigate at first, but it is a very user friendly application.

Customer satisfaction regarding billing or services. Benefits are that the changes are nearly instant.

XenDesktop review by Sahil S.
Sahil S.

"very useful"

What do you like best?

Simplicity. I can interact with apps (Windows apps) even from my ios based devices.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet. I am enjoying it so far, there is nothing that i dislike yet.

We are running Android emulators in Windows and streaming it to test our apps. Its really helpful since that application is very heavy, it takes the load off the developers system.

XenDesktop review by Nick B.
Nick B.

"Virtual Desktop and Apps Delivery"

What do you like best?

Successfully deliver Desktops and Apps virtually through browsers.

What do you dislike?

Performance can be interrupted by bad or slow networks

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good product that meets our needs

delivering apps and environments to meet educational needs.

XenDesktop review by Administrator

"XenDesktop"

What do you like best?

I like how you can setup desktops & apps based on user profiles

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to know how to do this without going to training course or extensive research.

Giving remote access to users outside our organization

XenDesktop review by User in Research
User in Research

"Citrix XenDesktop great software"

What do you like best?

I love that It can handle traffic over high latency network very well in contrast to other similar softwares.

What do you dislike?

I have encountered several bugs using Xendox which i wish would be resolved.

It helps us deliver the a similar desktop environment from all devices, anywhere over any type of network. It provides secure access to our enterprise desktop offerings.

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Information Services
Administrator in Information Services

"My short experience shows it's a product that's is work in progress - unfinished.."

What do you like best?

I like that it can give employees the freedom to work from anywhere while cutting IT costs. It also meets the demands of any use case, allowing employees to access their apps, desktops and data without the limitations of a traditional solution.

What do you dislike?

Never saw a price table, never noticed any pricing until I entered the shopping cart. Set a pricing table, allow the users to compare. Don't just list the products and various licenses.

None so far. I hope I do in near future.

XenDesktop review by User in Research
User in Research

"Great remote login"

What do you like best?

Simple remote login for a multitude of software tools. Enables my whole team to login from various locations (home, office, conference room, etc)

What do you dislike?

The system has an occasional tendency to miss a logout and then we have to login as an admin to release them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it works great!

we have many users across several sites worldwide, and they are able to login to a centralized data program

XenDesktop review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"citrix"

What do you like best?

ability to log in remotely and use shared software. very handy when you dont have the software on your own personal laptop/computer

What do you dislike?

stablity. dont know if it's my server or the application

"XenDesktop helps!"

What do you like best?

This has been a great addition to assist when I am out of the office. A secure remote way of accessing all of my work, and projects.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes very slow. This can be extremely frustrating with a deadline.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product to improve productivity

Ways of staying connected out of the office. definitely improved productivity

XenDesktop review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Use it because I must for work. "

What do you like best?

It allows me to do work at home by logging into EMR easily.

What do you dislike?

Seems to be blocked by Mac computers alot and not all computers have it installed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For some reason installing it can still be a problem depending on the computer system. Uncertain why some works and some don't eventhough it is required to view our EMR.

Logging into EMR and checking patient's status and labs.

XenDesktop review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Industry leader in desktop and app virtualization"

What do you like best?

Simplicity and near-native app performance on networks with high-latency is unbeatable. I like that I can interact natively with Windows apps from iOS based devices by means of the Citrix X1 mouse

What do you dislike?

Even though XenDesktop is hypervisor agnostic, most customers prefer to go to the one place to shop for their general virtualization and VDI needs. XenServer never got close to VMware ESXi.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make to sure to run a POC with a similar workload to your real environment before you decide. XenDesktop supports different deployment types for every need.

Extending the value of Chromebooks by providing users with functionality they expect, like key combinations, USB redirection, printing and file transfer

"Great remote desktop"

What do you like best?

Citrix works well through the web browser as well as through the mobile app. Have not had any issues with remote access

What do you dislike?

Long load times when accessing a browser-based citrix link.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall Citrix products have great support and have been easy to use. No issues reported by any of our users.

Remote acess

XenDesktop review by Renato Augusto T.
Renato Augusto T.

"Best possible integration with the field"

What do you like best?

My company develops software focused on agriculture, the agronocs require secure access to their desktops even in remote areas

What do you dislike?

Documentation in Portuguese is still small

remote access from farms

XenDesktop review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"Loving XenDesktop for easy access to all my apps!"

What do you like best?

Currently, our office uses 15 different business applications via the Citrix XenDesktop. I love the ease of access to all my apps in one place. When working from home, the XenDesktop is ideal.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about XenDesktop.

Single-source access for multiple applications.

XenDesktop review by Administrator

"XenDesktop Review"

What do you like best?

The ability to deliver apps quickly and effectively. The ability to upgrade and patch virtual machines without the need for downtime and provides a seamless experience for the users

What do you dislike?

It is quite complex and can be difficult to troubleshoot issues

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have sufficient infrastructure behind your deployment

Provides access to business applications to users on the shop floor without needing to buy expensive computers

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Nice interface for web app"

What do you like best?

I use Citrix to access a third party software app. Very slick and secure interface.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it kicks me out of my application for no reason. Only happens about once a week.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to use it. It's slick. You can also install it on an IPad.

Allows our company to maintain client data offsite at a secure server.

XenDesktop review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Superfast Access to Enterprise Computer"

What do you like best?

It is a very easy to use to be able to connect to a work desktop remotely.

What do you dislike?

It can be a little cumbersome to install the client, as there are multiple pre-requisites

This allows staff to work from home and work in one environment , instead of the alternative Virtual desktop

XenDesktop review by Cheryl K.
Cheryl K.

"Citrix for remote access"

What do you like best?

Access to ERP system remotely from anywhere

What do you dislike?

Can sometimes be slow and users have issues with multiple desktops

Secure access into ERP system

"My everyday life"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of data held and the ease of users in different departments updated in real time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it doesn't really work with what we do in our protocol and it works against us and duplicates our workflow.

Not sure.

XenDesktop review by Agency in Higher Education
Agency in Higher Education

"Fairly good, it is fast, but sometimes depends largely on the network speed"

What do you like best?

Its really fast. Its better opening the app as it makes it really fast compared to opening the software on its own.

What do you dislike?

When it lags, it sometimes never continues, and you have to restart it all over, which doesn't always cooperates

Banking transactions. The banking software was deployed on Xendesktop to make it faster and accessible

XenDesktop review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Great software for remoting in from home to work"

What do you like best?

Being able to work from home by remoting into the computer at work

What do you dislike?

a bit laggy sometimes, buggy when running extensive applications

Saving time to commute to work, allows for more flexible work hours at home and running errands

XenDesktop review by User in Higher Education

"Great for multiple users access anywhere anytime"

What do you like best?

The ability to work from home and still gets the most uptodate information.

What do you dislike?

The app seems a bit more complex to use than it needs to be.

Minimize travel time between work sites and increase work flexibillity

Administrator in Financial Services

"Awesome product by citrix"

What do you like best?

It allows me and my colleagues to connect to a centralized location windows desktop. it is also very secure

What do you dislike?

With flexibility normally come complexity. XenDesktop is no different. You have a ton of options for provisioning desktops, broker configuration, web portal options and etc. If you don’t have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish it’s easy to overcomplicate your design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it . you will end up in using this product forever

User experience

Safe access to applications

Fast provision of desktops

Real-time load-balancing:

XenDesktop review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Forced layer of security "

What do you like best?

Applications in one place, travels from desktop to desktop on multiple machines

What do you dislike?

Icons are generic. Favorites are not well organized. Tends to load slowly, or drag icons when I intend to open links

I think my employer intends a layer of security. They promise single sign-on, but that is not my experience

XenDesktop review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"i use xendesktop at work and setup for end users"

What do you like best?

its very ease to setup and the support is great

What do you dislike?

it can be little more expensive than competitors

this product will solve any virtual desktop application issues

XenDesktop review by Consultant in Computer & Network Security
Consultant in Computer & Network Security

"Student"

What do you like best?

Ease of creation of golden images and app layer utilities

What do you dislike?

Third party app needed to properly administer

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it

Configuration within hospital seems improved with product

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"I really like this products"

What do you like best?

Portability, centralization for upgrade

What do you dislike?

Association with usb device don't work as expected

We share a lot of app'ication with this product

XenDesktop review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Work Horse of the Organization"

What do you like best?

I like that my information and projects that I am working on are saved remotely and I can access them from anywhere. Makes it really easy to get-up-go and have access to everything else where.

What do you dislike?

it is glitch and requires constant updates.

agency management

"virtual connectvity"

What do you like best?

reduced IT expenditure on traditional desktops; lower energy costs

What do you dislike?

Remote access requires Netscaler which can be tricky to setup.

remote desktop access

"Amazing"

What do you like best?

I really like the passione they put in when the try to help and solve problems

What do you dislike?

The service is very good but sometimes they take some time to revert to you

They helped us to implement our system in order to reach our goal

"XenDesktop"

What do you like best?

Having everything I need to do my job all on one space.

What do you dislike?

Slow at times. Working in an ER, we need things to move a bit faster.

Everything in one place. Easy to use. All things important when working in a fast paced environment.

XenDesktop review by User in Higher Education

"Access files from Anywhere"

What do you like best?

As a researcher I can access all my files from anywhere. It is easy to download & doesn't slow down the workflow speed.

What do you dislike?

The actual user interface. The layout needs to be improved. It can be difficult to find folders.

Research lab in the life science sector.

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"XenDesktop"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to spin up desktops as they are needed to conserve resources.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a huge fan of the management side of things. Having to work in multiple tools is frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Build out a POC and let users try it out. Get buy in early on

We are delivering alternate OSs that are restricted from being used on laptops and desktops.

XenDesktop review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"I use this application for charting at work"

What do you like best?

It's very user friendly and easy to figure out

What do you dislike?

The application can be slow to start and freezes sometimes

It's easy to see previous charting and results. There are multiple different options for viewing as well.

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Civil Engineering
Administrator in Civil Engineering

"Difficult to use, slow and hard if high end video card needed"

What do you like best?

Gives us ability to have desktops for users that need spefix software that can't be loaded on their personal computer

What do you dislike?

Slow, if a higher end video card is needed we had nothing but problems

Slowed us to have multiple users connect to a specialized desktop

XenDesktop review by User

"Très facile à utiliser "

What do you like best?

La souplesse et la gestion des vm pour le vdi

What do you dislike?

Certaines configurations manque et parfois mange

Recommendations to others considering the product

Oui

J'ai fait de la virtualisation de poste de travail

Diminué le parcs informatiques

XenDesktop review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Citrix XenDesktop"

What do you like best?

The ability to work remotely with minimal difference

What do you dislike?

It appears to just be with Windows 8, but I had issues freezing and the screen switching out of Citrix

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a reliable software (if you're not using Windows 8)

Bookkeeping

"Greay"

What do you like best?

It’s a great software I love it helps me in so many ways

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can find that I’m worried

Helps me with my pts to find them easier

XenDesktop review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great for working at home"

What do you like best?

It's easy to log in from almost any computer. It gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

Web Browsing is laggy which require local desktop web browser. Also the lack of task maanger forces the need to contact IT.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy access to the desktop from almost any computer.

Question Unclear

"Xendesktop"

What do you like best?

Ability to centrally manage servers vdis and apps

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly as far as publishing apps. Step back from xa 65

Offshore system access and pci requirements

XenDesktop review by Jeff M.
Jeff M.

"Stable environment for work at home."

What do you like best?

Citrix is very stable and secure. The support is great. I've never had Citrix crash when I'm using it.

What do you dislike?

It's a little slower than actually working on your desktop, but that's not really a Citrix issue. Internet connections still aren't as fast as being on a local PC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a better enterprise solution than Remote Desktop because it has greater flexibility. You not only get desktop access, but you can have direct access to certain applications without going to your desktop.

XenDesktop review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Great for desktop management"

What do you like best?

Easy to implement and use. Relatively easy adoption.

What do you dislike?

Licensing fees and costs of maintaining this app

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

Salesforce

XenDesktop review by User in Industrial Automation
User in Industrial Automation

"Perfect for remote work"

What do you like best?

We used it to connect it to our client and it works perfectly with no stutters.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I can think of right now. So N\A

Remote connectivity

Learning about XenDesktop?

* We monitor all XenDesktop reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.