Xero

Share access to your latest business numbers with your team and your accountant so everyone is up to speed with Xero. From work, home or on the go.

Work for Xero?

Learning about Xero?

Xero Reviews

Showing 198 Xero reviews
Xero review by Dimitri P.
Dimitri P.

"Was great when I first started but now I'm realizing I've made a mistake."

What do you like best?

Accounting was probably the most intimidating part of starting a business for the first time. I went with Xero because it looked less intimidating than QBO at the time and it supported payroll in my state for a very good rate. $29 for accounting with payroll up to 5 employees. Of all the features, payroll felt the most well thought out and complete.

What do you dislike?

As business grew I noticed most features felt unpolished and were lacking functionality that would make them feel complete. To add the functionality that you expect would have been built in required several apps each with their own monthly fee.

Some examples

- You can see a list of your recurring invoices but you can't get a total unless you use a calculator or sign up for a separate monthly service.

- late payment reminders don't go to the invoice recipient. They go to the main contact. This caused a huge problem with our customers as we assumed invoice reminders were going to the right people.

- can convert quote to invoice but not to repeating invoice.

- can't show passed due amount in current invoice

- navigation doesn't always take you to the right screen after you complete an action

- Why are my credit cards accounts listed when selecting paid to on invoices?

- support is abysmal, send an email and wait a couple of days for response.

- easy to migrate to xero as you can import a quickbooks file but no such

There's more but you get the point.

Xero recently sent out an email indicating they are eliminating payroll and we must start using Gusto or another service. In addition the $29 product sees no reduction in price or added features which effectively triples the cost. That now makes them more expensive than QBO and not even close to being as robust. So this will be our last year with xero as we move to QBO.

Suggestion if someone from xero leadership reads this. Maybe stop throwing parties all over the world and focus on the product a little more.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Xero
Xero review by Danny D.
Danny D.

" Very expensive and removal of existing functionality for chargeable alternative"

What do you like best?

The system works well - I've been using the package since around 2011/2 and rarely had a technical problem.

What do you dislike?

They approach their existing customers with contempt and greed - price increases with no new features, then they take away existing features and replace with chargeable alternatives. They also have the most useless starter package that I believe is of little use to the smallest of companies due to the restrictions imposed, forcing nearly all active companies to pay for their middle package (rich in features that small companies may not need) at the very least. When things do go wrong, their support is generally pretty poor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other packages. Xero has taken its customers very much for granted and appears to be headed towards a direction of milking customers for as much money as possible. The problem is, it is very difficult migrating data away into another package, once you are set up with Xero (although to be fair, all accounting packages appear to have the same challenges), so they have you over a barrel. Only, I have now given notice and am leaving!

Accounting in realtime.

What Small-Business Accounting solution do you use?

Xero review by Ray W.
Ray W.

"Disgusting tactics now being employed. We aware. It could be very costly."

What do you like best?

Overall, Xero is a great Accounting package. But, their recent and very shifty and deceptive decision to remove core features and start offering them as add-ons is disgusting.

What do you dislike?

Until recently, there wasn't much I didn't like. I probably couldn't name anything, apart from the somewhat dated UI - but that's a stretch.

Recently however, Xero have taken a core feature (Expenses) and starting selling it as an add-on, on top of the monthly subscription fee.

Expenses as you may know, and would expect, is 'included' in the monthly subscription and formed part of the core software. There was no additional charge. They've recently updated the Expenses feature (which they should be doing anyway) and now believe that because they've updated it, that warrants it being pulled from core and sold separately as an add-on.

As a current subscriber, I signed up for the all inclusive package. Having features ripped from the core package and charged for in addtion to the monthly subscription is not on. Especially when no discount or reduction of the monthly subscription cost was offered.

As a SaaS provider, any and all future updates, regardless of how big or small they are, should form part of the monthly subscription.

Choosing an accounting package is a big decision and once you're committed, it's difficult and often costly to change. With Xero now employing this kind of model, I'd caution anyone considering Xero to think again, think hard.

Today it's Expenses, tomorrow it could be something else.

These disgusting tactics employed by Xero are unacceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With their recent and very shifty move to start removing core features and start charging for them as add-ons in addition to the full monthly subscription costs, I'd very carefully consider Xero. At any time they are likely to remove other core features and start charging them. It could be a costly exercise.

Basic accounting.

Xero review by Robby M.
Robby M.

"Strong financial accounting platform with great add-ons and management reporting"

What do you like best?

I chose Xero because it’s core functionality is financial and management accounting. Critical features for small business owners, midsize business, and non-profit members are in the application. As an accountant, it’s amazing to work on the “advisor side” of the application. It’s a cloud application that’s robust, has outstanding uptime, works across devices, and presents a financial picture with ease. The reason I say core application, is because it so easily integrates with 100’s of applications. That’s important, because I didn’t want application that selects for example a CRM or inventory tracking system for me. They make sure they’re the best at what they do and then the user can select the best tool for them to seamlessly integrate.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that as you continue to reconcile throughout the year, prior reports no longer show items that were open during that period. When going through a financial statement audit, it’s important. We publish the reports now, so they’re saved in the system and there’s an audit trail. However, I feel like this could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the advisor directory to ask questions. I think most of us are happy to answer. If not, watch videos and use a trial. If you’re converting from an application, be sure your books are clean. I’d get in there and play with the tools first. While both QBO and Xero are cloud applications, their approaches are very different. The terms Xero use are really business-owner or non-profit friend and I think you’ll find working in there, it’s easy to work through and keep up with your books. Also, look at add-ones to get an idea of what might make sense to you. There are many you really don’t need right away, so Xero is your starting place, but occasionally your business needs will result in adding an application. You can really brand and get invoices just the way that works for you. But, it’s worth taking it step-by-step and really learning the features.

We’re an accounting firm and we keep our books on Xero and our clients use Xero. It means we not only support their accounting but we can help them with technical issues real time. We don’t use a lot of different accounting applications, one because we love Xero, and two because, this way we can fully support the business-owner. Often, for a business owner, or Executive Director, questions relating to accounting can be technical matters in the application. Between, Xero certification, and killer customer service/technical support, we’re able to provide the advice our clients need.

Xero review by Adam G.
Adam G.

"New User but very impressed. Moved from Sage 50 around three months ago."

What do you like best?

Xero is saving many hours of time each day compared to using Sage 50. I am very impressed. We moved from Sage 50 around 3 months ago and am starting the see the many benefits of cloud accounting, and the simplicity which Xero does things.

What do you dislike?

The move from sage to Xero could have been a little smoother, because we have multi currency a lot of things had to be fixed manually. We still have a small problem of some historic invoices being in a wrong currency. however because you can accept payment against any invoice in any currency (unlike Sage) this is less of an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a lot of time on the implementation and get it right from the offset.

Time is the biggest problem we have solved, and also being able to see live bad debtors and creditors is a huge positive. The bank feeds prevent me from having to log into every bank each morning, i simply hit refresh and it pulls in the latest incomings and outgoings of every account we have. This makes bank reconciliation a much easier and smoother process. I always had to fight with Sage at month end to do this, but now it is a doddle.

Xero review by Nick W.
Nick W.

"Feature rich, simple to use, high level support and training documentation"

What do you like best?

Hard to include everything but for the average small business it really is your one stop shop for your accounting requirements:

Customised reports

Pleasant UI

Ease of access (destop / mobile / no user restriction / invite your accountant)

Bank reconciliation is made super easy and can complete from your mobile phone also

Super easy invoicing (accept online payment, custom templates, auto invoice reminders)

Multi currency with Xe.com rates saves a heap of time compared to the old way, makes reconciliations easy and auto books the gains / losses for you. Really don't have to think too much about it.

Xero touch app (alerts on touch smartpone app for changes in daily bank balance also)

Ample integrated apps (CRM, Inventory, Document storage, Payroll etc)

Free xero education / learning platform

Wealth of support (help centre / support tickets)

Xero community

What do you dislike?

Currently does not support other languages except English (I do consulting to Japanese / Chinese based businesses which have come up with some nice work arounds).

Budget manager is for performance budgets only (not cash or balance sheet) but in saying that you have available integration apps that can do full budgets for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before diving in, map out all your business applications, check that everything is going to play nicely together (API connections), if needed consider Zapier to connect external applications to Xero (can do some very clever things), importantly understand Xero is not like quickbooks, MYOB, Sage etc...the onboarding / setup process therefore is going to be different than what you are used to. Xero is suited for small business applications, if you are a large scale manufacturing firm or hold complex stock items don't expect Xero to do you any wonders. Check that it meets your requirements first. If stuck refer to a certified Xero adviser or Xero support for assistance who are quick to respond. Happy accounting.

Access anytime anywhere.

Customise reports to suit business owner / stakeholder needs

Make recording source data (bank transactions, loose expenses) as painless as possible with little effort, by using automated bank feeds, xero touch app, xero expenses app.

It's proven to save larges amounts of time for the clients I've assisted and also allowed for visibility over business operations where previously there was a strong reliance on the accounting division before understanding where your business was at.

Xero review by James F.
James F.

"Simple Alternative to Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

The biggest this is that you don't need a accounting degree to use it. It sync with everything I currently use and it's quite cheap to use. You don't have to pay someone to set it up for you especially if you are willing to do some digging and find the answers to your questions.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit difficult to setup but once you are there it's easy to use. I could use a few more custom reports too.

We needed a solution that was easy to use and easy to teach others to use. It also had to be online and have lots of add-on's and apps to sync to. Xero fill all of those blanks. To start with we were a one-man-band so it had to be simple to setup and just run and without any form of accounting experience it was simple and easy.

Xero review by James M.
James M.

"Started Out Good, but too many details missed and processes screwy"

What do you like best?

It's web based, looks good, and works (ish) with many systems through the API. They fixed the Stripe integration, finally, which was a problem for years.

What do you dislike?

First and foremost, if you need to use Purchase Orders, Xero isn't for you. You cannot include Item Codes (their version of Part Numbers) on purchase orders. You can use the Item Name, but even to get that you need to create a custom template and rework it entirely in Word to get that. The default setting from Xero is that you only get Item Description. This is obviously useless for any purchasing, and Xero has clearly stated that it is never going to happen because, and I quote, "Item Codes are mainly for internal purposes." It's a huge issue. https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/3361072 is the thread on their boards where they refuse to fix it.

In addition, accountants can't make certain kinds of journal entries which they're used to being able to do in Quickbooks. This causes an issue if you're making the switch, so make sure your bookkeeper or accountant is trained on Xero.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd be wary if you're in a B2B situation. They're set up for B2C, but if you need normal functionality like Quotes and POs, you're in for some headaches.

General book keeping, flowing in sales from multiple channels, expenses.

Xero review by John H.
John H.

"Migrated from QBO"

What do you like best?

I love the open access to the Xero API. We are able to pull data in and out from all of our other programs. The user interface was put together with a lot of thought.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the limited functionality that the Android app offers. Also, it would be great if there was a UDF for clients to choose the payment amount when viewing/submitting transactions from a invoice. Currently, the only option is to pay in full so we're unable to collect deposits or partial payments for projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After almost 10 years using Quick Books, we made the switch. Best decision to date. Go

Clearly, accounting is the primary reason for Xero. I also enjoy the gateway options for receiving client payments. Tax tracking is also a great feature.

Xero review by Tertius G.
Tertius G.

"Sit back, Relax and let XERO run your Accounting from A-Z"

What do you like best?

I like using Xero Accounting for the following reasons:

1. It's Easy to use, understand or grasp even though I'm not a CA.

2. Integration with almost any platform you can think of, seamlessly.

3. I like blue.

4. It's online, no backup issues, server crashing, tape backups, all my data is where it's supposed to be.

5. Templates for any documentation you can think of, even the emails sent out to your clients happens smoothly, whether they are sent manually, automated yearly, monthly, daily etc.

6. After 5 years, I'm still the happiest pig around.

What do you dislike?

The mobile application can include more features, but since I'm a developer. I know that the mobile application space will eventually move back to the cloud anyway.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing else matters. I logged one issue in more than 5 years, mobile/web based apps included. That is a track record you can be proud of.

My auditors phoned me up near the end of my company's first year in business. They needed my accounting history, whether it's receipts, little notepads lying around invoices made by hand etc. I browsed to www.xero.com and added my auditor to my company as an accountant with read-only access. Xero sent them an invitation to which they could create their own password and BANG. 15 minutes later my audit was done with the results requested.

Xero review by Rachel F.
Rachel F.

"Solid service once you get it set up."

What do you like best?

The customer service is fantastic. I've been on a first name basis with my personal customer service representative since day 2. Every time I have a problem he quickly helps me figure it out, regardless of how basic.

What do you dislike?

Setting this service up was a PAIN. I hate dealing with accounting anything, and honestly quickbooks was a way easier and painless setup. But now that I have it up and running it's going okay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Realize it's going to take time in the beginning, but don't be afraid to use their customer service!

It takes care of my accounting in the background, so I can spend more time on my business. The most basic benefit I'm seeing recently is now that it's all set up, it's crazy easy for me to see my basic numbers- money going out and money coming in.

"Cloud-Based Accounting System"

What do you like best?

Xero could be accessed anywhere as long as there is an internet connection since it is a cloud-based application. It has a nice modern user-interface that is quite user-friendly. They have updated the names and terminology of modules for non-accountants to use. For instance Accounts Payable is called Purchases and Accounts Receivable is called Sales.

What do you dislike?

Xero does not have the ability for printing Canadian cheques. The cheque printing templates available are only for the United States and for some countries in Europe. The available reports within Xero are very limited as well. I continue to use a legacy report that captures most of the data that I need, but I have been told by Xero Support that eventually that report will be phased out. Xero had included a free expense claims module for the past few years, but that will be phased out at the end of September to a per user pay module just to enter expense claims.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xero does not have the greatest tech support available. I was only able to talk on the phone with Xero tech support once since I kept on escalating the issue on reports to them. At the end, they couldn't provide me with a solution. Xero support suggested that I write on the blog for the Xero Community to see if other companies are encountering the same issues.

We wanted an accounting system that was easily accessible for the executives while they were away on vacation. Since it is a cloud-based application, Xero could be accessed anywhere in the world that has an internet connection. Another problem that Xero solved was that staff were able to log on and submit their own expense claims, instead of having the accounting department look after the input of receipts for the staff expense claims.

Xero review by Darius F.
Darius F.

"Tired UI and a lack of implimenting user-requested features"

What do you like best?

It's comprehensive, no doubt about that. I know many people running their businesses on Xero and as far as an online accounting platform goes, it does the job

What do you dislike?

Primarily, their lack of implementing user-requested features. If you head on over to their user community forum you will see hundreds of requests, with hundreds of comments voicing support, for various features which have gone ignored for YEARS.

Recently, Xero took to removing the dates from the user forum, no doubt because it looked bad having requests from 2005 be constantly bumped to the top of the forum evert week. Always the comments are the same: "Hey, I came here with the same issue! We would like to be able to change the default naming of invoice PDFs that are sent via Xero. Cant believe this was first requested in 2005!"

This is the same for a large number of seemingly simple features, including PDF naming, invoice email templates and invoice line-item notations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a high standard for how your invoicing and brand looks when using Xero to interact with customers via invoicing etc, then you are probably better getting dedicated invoicing software. If you are a small business, there are better cheaper options available. And if you expect to be able to make feature requests for software that you are paying for, then you will want to find another product.

Simple. Easy bookkeeping and reporting, invoicing etc.

"Just Brilliant!"

What do you like best?

Its an absolutely brilliant piece of software to systematically breakdown your accounting into granular accounting so you know exactly where your making and losing money! I love it!

What do you dislike?

The only thing which really is a good thing but some people might see it as bad is the complexity, it has so many features and ways of working which is a good thing, but it could be seen as a bad thing as it is then difficult to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it and use it, for the price and the way it works it saves so much time once you understand what you are doing. This drive our business in making more profit and knowing EXACTLY where we are at and at the same time saves hours and hours and hours and hours of time that we would have spent doing this all manually on a spreadsheet. Just amazing and it hardly costs anything to purchase and once you get the hang of using it, it will show you information about your business that you previously didn't know that could totally transform the profitability of your business.

We are accounting for a medium sized property portfolio which has 12 houses and 70 rooms in total, thats 70 tenants. So you can imagine how complex it is to have 70 rents coming in, 12 sets of utilitity bills (as we pay the bills) and maintenance, etc. Breaking that down by house is essential and this makes life soooo much easier!

Xero review by Jennifer W.
Jennifer W.

"Intuitive Software"

What do you like best?

The interface is intuitive and flexible.

What do you dislike?

Limited functionality in budget manager.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One limitation is that there are only two dimensions that you can attach to an entry. Make sure you do not need more than that for the foreseeable future. In addition, Xero support is limited so be sure you have someone capable of figuring things out on their own. Finally, be aware that Xero has a done of great, seamless integrations so if Xero doesn't offer something you are looking for, be sure to check out their integrations as it is likely you can piece together a customized solution for you.

Because of Xero and its integrations, our accounting close is clean and we have all supporting documentation attached to each entry. It is easy to make changes to entries, reporting, budgets, etc. saving me a lot of time.

Xero review by Rebecca R.
Rebecca R.

"Xero - a great solution for small business "

What do you like best?

I really like that Xero is cloud based. Further, I love the dashboard, ease of reconciliations, and notes of communications with clients and vendors. I really like that I can see which clients have opened up my invoices for review.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the system won't allow for overpayments or for open credits to sit on accounts. Further, I find that often times PO's remain opened even after a final bill has been created which occasionally cases confusion.

I like that members of our team can get a quick snapshot of our financials at anytime, and that anyone can check in on the status of communications because there is a thread for every invoice, PO, bill etc. For our busy team this works perfectly for us.

Xero review by Daniela B.
Daniela B.

"Best online software for accounting purposes! Better than any other one out there"

What do you like best?

- Web based so I can access this anytime, anywhere

- Great, reasonable and affordable price even for a small business

- Over 400 add ons such as Expensify, HubDoc, Square, Stripe, PayPal, among others

- User friendly, it is easy to navigate throughout the website once you have set up your account.

- Great customer service - If you don't understand something, there is always someone you can contact

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything too significant that's negative in Xero, but some add-ons do cost an additional fee. Also, the fact that it is web-based is a huge benefit but can sometimes play against you. If you need to check something on account, you are required to be connected to the internet otherwise the software will not work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anything else that you're using is not as good as Xero.

Easier, faster and more reliable invoices and quotes. Easy to use so our whole staff can use it. It's all online so when we send invoices or quotes to our clientes they are able to approve, and pay online without a problem. Often times our clients ask us about Xero, and we gladly recommend it to them.

Xero review by David  B.
David B.

"The best accounting software for SME's"

What do you like best?

I have been using Xero within our businesses for in excess of 4 years, during this period it has been fault free. The technical support is also fantastic, we had a small issue with some transactions being reconciled, as soon as we contacted the support team they provided a fix within a few hours.

- The software is simple to use

- Very cost effective Vs other similar platforms

- Robust

- Innovation - Xero are always looking at new tools or making existing processes better

- Integration - Integrates well with other 3rd parties software

- Great mobile App for access on the move

- Cloud-based

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I can say I don't like about Xero, it does what it says on the tin. Maybe more functionality via the mobile APP would be beneficial.

Xero is allowing our team to work more smartly and manage our accounts from any location. Collaboration is key to our success and Xero helps our team collaborate from raising invoices through to chasing outstanding payments. It allows us to know where we are as a business with regards to accounts with a simple press of a button.

Xero review by Charles N.
Charles N.

"Simple but needs better dashboard"

What do you like best?

We like that it's very easy to use and, as a start-up company, we can create and manage invoices with clients in a professional way. The recurring invoices functionality and tracking features are particularly useful for us. We also use Xero for employees to submit and manage their expenses and are currently exploring their holiday management tool.

What do you dislike?

The reporting functionalities could be improved to provide greater visibility over what's been paid, what's been submitted and what's overdue. The existing features only provide a confused version of this information. We have multiple admin users but Xero offers no way of assigning invoices to specific users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know how you'll manage responsibilities within the software

Raising invoices is a necessity in our business however, as a start-up business, we do not have an accountant who can manage this for us. Xero offers a seamless and cost-efficient way of carrying out this work: it couldn't be simpler and cheaper.

Xero review by Consultant

"Happy with experience"

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to use and how clearly it lays out the information you need. You don’t need to spend long looking for anything - it just seems arranged in order of the way that you’d actually need it. Appearance-wise, it’s also very clean, which contributes to how simple it is to use. I also like the mobile app, as it's really easy to use and makes doing expenses very simple.

What do you dislike?

It’s hard to identify anything specifically as I’m actually really pleased with my experience on it. I only use it for the occasional expense and to check my payslips. It could perhaps benefit from email notifications when expense claims are approved or payslips come in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None for better use - just a head's up about the mobile app, if you're not aware of it. It's much easier to use for expenses than computer as it allows you to take photos of receipts and upload instantly.

It helps us make the expense process efficient and to do monthly pay rolls. It has managed to capture all the information finance needs while still making it easy for users.

Xero review by Administrator

"Great accounting software, sophisticated API, easy to integrate, all at a fair price"

What do you like best?

Xero is a full-blown accounting software perfect for small- to medium-sized business. It's easy to use, works reliably and offers an extended API that allows you to integrate it with your existing systems.

What we like about it:

-Easy to use: The interface is very easy to navigate and self-explanatory. They also offer detailed documentation and have a great support forum.

-API: This the most valuable asset for us. It allows to integrate it with our internal systems and to almost fully automate many repetitive accounting tasks.

-integration with your merchant/payment accounts: Let's your customers pay you online easily.

What do you dislike?

Performance could be better, sometimes we are experiencing noticeable slow-downs. Also, but that's the nature of the offering, one might have concerns about having all their sensitive business data in the cloud. So I'd highly recommend keeping local backups of all data.

Another drawback: The import feeds (to connect your bank accounts) sometimes don't work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They make it very easy to switch fro Quickbooks, don't let that scare you off. Also consider the added costs when running Payroll with Quickbooks, which adds significantly to the total monthly price. We came to the conclusion that Xero offers a much better offering at a much more competitive price that QuickBooks.

It allows to fully run our accounting and payroll in the cloud and doing it in-house versus outsourcing it to a pricey provider.

Xero review by Andrew V.
Andrew V.

"Xero is golden"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the unlimited user capability for no extra charge. It is also convenient to have multiple people logged in at the same time. This allows people to be using it in the field as well as the bookkeeper in the office.

What do you dislike?

The phone app is not as expansive or fully functional as I would like. It can be used but not the best. It is sometimes easier to log in through my phones web browser than through the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would make the switch today because the program interfaces with a lot of third party providers and has excellent bank integration. You will enjoy making the switch, and it will save you time when it comes to reconciling your bank statement.

I use this program for the bookkeeping part of my business. My clients find it easy to use and very intuitive. I also find it much easier to get things done with then the other bookkeeping apps and programs that are out there.

Xero review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Best software for accounting in small businesses!"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and it rarely breaks. Very cost effective and our accountant works with it so he's able to login to it to make sure all reconciliations and payroll are being done. We have as many users as needed connected simultaneously to the platform with no additional fee.

What do you dislike?

We don't have an option for local accounting. So when the internet is out, you have no options of using the accounting system. However, this is true for Quickbooks Online as well so not much you can do there. There have only been 2 times when their own website was affected and we could not use it but it was fixed within 24 hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xero integrates with MANY different software and platforms so see if its a good fit for you. We like it, it works well for us but then again we are a marketing agency, so we do not manage any inventory. I would not be able to talk about that. We are forever grateful that we found Xero because at the time we were between this and QB Online which from what we have heard is not as good. After our experience with the support team at QB for the Desktop version we would never consider going back to them.

It has great if you need to connect with other platforms such as Hubspot, PandaDoc, Etc. Research the integrations that are available and you'll see that it can make your life a lot easier.

Xero review by Michaela B.
Michaela B.

"Easy to use for new team. Good online cloud base"

What do you like best?

Xero is super user friendly with easy to understand options and reports. As well the fact that it is completely online make it much easier to access and share information

What do you dislike?

Since the software is more entry level it doesn't allow users as much freedom as a higher level accountant would like. It is hard to assign transactions between the banks and edit the incoming statement information. As well the site is hard to navigate sometimes and switching between pages is a big hassle, the website doesn't back tab and forward tab nicely.

We use the software for accounting and job cost tracking

Xero review by Ryan Paul S.
Ryan Paul S.

"Easy to use and intuitive"

What do you like best?

Very easy navigation and simple to use. No complicated features. Also has a mobile app so you can easily upload expenses. There is also a feature where you can invite your accountant to manage the accounts for you and you can set invoice reminders at whatever internal you deem necessary. For example, you can send a reminder for payment the day before it is due, when its overdue etc. so you can keep on top of late payers.

What do you dislike?

Reporting could be a little more graph based to make them more intuitive but apart from that, really good reports. It would also be good if you could further customise the dashboard and the cash in/out timeframe. Seeing this for the whole financial year would be good as well as having the ability to compare against your budget so you can see how you are performing against your forecasts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at their reporting elements.

We use it to manage all of our finance from sales orders to purchases. We use this to reduce the time it takes to receive payments as Xero has an automated reminder you can set to remind clients 1 day before payment is due, after payment is late etc. You can also create multiple revenue streams allowing you to identify where most of your sales come from in terms of particular products, goods or services which of course filter through to the reports.

Xero review by Lawrence B.
Lawrence B.

"Excellent Software. Good API makes life significantly better!"

What do you like best?

The API integration is super easy. I was able to set up my website (custom coded) to add transactions into Xero very quickly. I really like the blue color it's kinda nice and soothing. No fancy graphics just simple. The ability to customize an invoice to have different brands is nice. That way I don't need to change the logo, payment account etc, every time.

What do you dislike?

The navigation sometimes takes a few more clicks. So if I want want to view all invoices it takes 3 clicks. Also the timeout is very quick. Sometimes it can be confusing as to how the "contacts" work as they aren't assigned a customer or vendor status until they are actually used and then they can flip back/worth. So that can make life a little bit confusing than before

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely look into it! Great Software, and it works with a lot of other SAAS too!

Accounting, It provides a much better solution than peachtree that I was using before. Peachtree was very old and it didn't integrate with anything. With XERO I was able to set it up to work with a special coding I already had in place. To create Invoices & Receipts based on live transactions. I have noticed a significant less amount of time doing entry since many of my sales are <$5.00 and to one time customers.

Xero review by Margaret-Anne M.
Margaret-Anne M.

"My Xero experience"

What do you like best?

There are many things I like about Xero, all it's interfaces are very user friendly , my favourite difference from Sage is the bank reconciliation , from bank transactions automatically fed from the bank and being able to create, amend and adjust items on the same screen takes the work out of it. I use both accounts and payroll software and the user friendly interfaces allow you to complete your work with ease.

What do you dislike?

To be honest I haven't actually found something yet which I dislike , I have been a user now for 7 months and really love the software,

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the change you will not look back , it's so much easier to use and find reports!

The benefit it provides to my business is that I as a book-keeper and the client can both work at the same time , paperwork can be uploaded by the client and work can be completed off site . Reports and accounts can be produced with ease, and reports and easy to find and laid out in a professional manner.

Xero review by User in Internet

"Secure, simple, and fast accounting software"

What do you like best?

The interface for Xero is my favorite part of the application. The developers have kept it clean and you can tell that great attention to detail was used when developing the UI / UX. I did not even need on-boarding into the application, it was intuitive from the very first time I logged in.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike about Xero. If I had a chance to make one thing better I would say the ability for Xero to pull in my bank account balance but I do not believe our inability to do that is something caused by Xero, our bank is just not easy to work with and requires us to manually update Xero.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a lot of accounting software available but this one really keeps things simple and to the point. If you are looking for a quick solution to see your cash on hand, debts and credit lines then Xero is a clear winner.

Measuring our spend and monitoring our available cash and credit line

Xero review by User in Internet

"Awesome software that ACTUALLY lets you do your books quickly. "

What do you like best?

Most small business owners are not super detail-oriented, expert accountants, and therefore can't, or won't use all but a small fraction of tools that most of the industry "standard" accounting suites offer. Thus, almost all accounting packages are super tough to use, and so go unused. Xero is different. It has only the tools you need and will actually use, and in an interface that allows you to get around quickly. I actually enjoy working with my accounting software now.

What do you dislike?

There are a few integrations that it could use that would make it perfect. But they are not mission critical (different payment processors for receiving payment on invoices, for example.) . Also, I'd expect a company like Xero to be adding or improving features more frequently than they do.

We needed to be able to access our accounting software from multiple computers, within an interface that would allow us to get around quickly. By not being locked into a single machine (or multiple expensive licenses and clunky syncing systems!), we can access our books when and where we need to, cheaply and easily.

Xero review by Jack B.
Jack B.

"Excellent Tool"

What do you like best?

Allows me to view the financial position of my company at a glance (including converting invoices in foreign currencies) and plan cashflow which is vital to us as a new business.

Raising invoices is simple, we've integrated with Stripe (super easy to set up) to allow customers to pay invoices by card which helps us take payments easily and quickly. VAT returns have gone from being a bit of a headache to a 30 second task and the Payroll system is much easier to use than the HMRC tool.

Genuinely one of the best decisions we've made as a business to start using Xero.

What do you dislike?

Really nothing I can think of, every feature I have felt was missing since I started using it last year has been added since!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe they still offer a free trial. It takes a fair bit of a time investment initially to give it the information it needs to help you but it's absolutely worth it!

We previously used spreadsheets to track our finances (importing bank statements) which was becoming quite cumbersome as the company grew.

Xero has allowed us to stay on top of our finances through fast growth, given us more up to date and accurate figures to work with and allowed us to collaborate more effectively with our accountants. There are a whole bunch of time saving features including automated bank feeds, rules for automatically coding transactions, payroll features and invoice reminders.

Xero review by David B.
David B.

"I liked Xero a lot ... 5 years ago"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Integration with banking and company credit cards.

What do you dislike?

Expensive: $30 / month. No new features in 5 years. And now they have removed an existing feature---expense claims and reimbursement---a feature I use every week, and are re-offering the feature as a paid add-on! WTF Xero?!

It's time to switch accounting packages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go elsewhere. Xero has become a graveyard product. They are no longer adding features to compete for new business. Instead they are leaving the product as it stand and charging more and more for it.

Accounting for my small business.

Xero review by Diana H.
Diana H.

"Efficiency with Xero"

What do you like best?

Xero has a clean, easy-to-understand interface that makes the learning curve short for new users. For accountants, it facilitates diagnosing and correcting client's mistakes. Xero has nice reporting which has recently been revised so that reports can be customized to fit a client's business. Reports can be downloaded in several formats which can be further manipulated in a spreadsheet application or sent as-is to the client.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes are more along the lines of needed enhancements. Cash coding allows for bulk classification of transactions, but needs some work to streamline its interface with contacts. Bank feeds are facilitated by Yodlee which frequently requires refreshing to keep transactions up to date. Both are minor annoyances that are far outweighed by the efficiencies that Xero brings to the accountant. I would also love to see an interface with popular tax prep products such as Drake or ATX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get an experienced professional to help set Xero up - although it can be done by a person with no experience with the software, it will most likely not be set up correctly and will require additional expertise to fix.

Providing real time financial information to clients so they can make good business decisions. A big side benefit to my small business clients is the ability to target certain transaction timing to realize tax efficiencies and enhance tax planning capability.

Xero review by Terry H.
Terry H.

"I love using Xero"

What do you like best?

I like the simple look-and-feel of the system.

Xero enables me to email invoices into the system and then enter the details another time.

The dashboard quickly shows me the money I have available and any invoices I need to chase up.

The VAT Return feature makes it very simple to calculate and submit my return - which could otherwise be quite time consuming.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything that doesn't work how I would like it to in the main accounting system.

The payroll system doesn't seem to be able to automatically update with changes to staff's tax codes, which seems like quite a basic requirement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the free trial, but make sure you know which features you'll need and which come with each plan. For example, during our trial we regularly put on foreign currency invoices, but then had to upgrade once the trial came to an end, because the basic plan doesn't include multi-currency.

All businesses need accounts. This allows me to keep them up to date throughout the month.

Xero review by User in Computer Software

"Clear interface for invoicing"

What do you like best?

Very clean interface for billing and sending invoices. When you see what the client is sent is it a very professional interaction. We can also set up click to pay for our clients to make bill pay easy.

We are using the workflow feature for a multi-step review process before anything is released. That is a nice feature.

I also like the Dashboards and ability to search and find saved invoices. The ability to copy and old invoice is also very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Since I am not in the system all the time I find that sometimes I am not sure if an invoice is really sent to a client. I tend to make sure I am cc'd. We also have some issues with workflow where the approver may send a draft to a client because they can see an invoice created right away.

Invoicing and purchase orders.

Xero review by Corey V.
Corey V.

"A great switch"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use and the pricing structure. I struggled a lot in quick books and it just seemed like the online version was too stripped down. Xero gave us the power back with an easy to use and robust cloud system.

What do you dislike?

We have been awaiting payroll in our state since signing up, we are on to year 2 with Xero. Every time we ask it's either coming by then end of the year or we're told it's been pushed back.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't join for the payroll. Templates are easy to use and adjust in word. Online payment integration is amazing!

We needed a cloud based system that could be activated from anywhere. We also wanted the freedom to add as many users as needed the unlimited users was a huge selling point. Bonus was having an iOS app!

Xero review by David G.
David G.

"Amazing accounting application"

What do you like best?

It's cloud accounting, bank and credit card feeds, great support, intuitive, has a huge number of third party apps to integrate with. A large number of reports available, easy to use, built for the Internet from scratch. Allows tracking for projects, giving P&L for all projects. Bank Rules save a huge amount of bookkeeping time.

What do you dislike?

Good, but not great with inventory, but has great apps to link with. Internal Payroll Processing needs to be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, you'll like it...

Auto bank feeds eliminate data entry for almost all transactions. Bank Rules cut down on reconciling bank and credit card accounts.

Xero review by Consultant in Accounting
Consultant in Accounting

"Score 100 for Xero"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that Xero is a totally cloud-based solution: developed in the cloud for use by those who are cloud minded. The user interface is friendly enough for a business owner to use but robust enough for any accountant's rigorous reporting and functionality requirements.

What do you dislike?

I haven't yet found anything I dislike about Xero.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My first recommendation would be to contact a local representative to do a live demonstration of Xero. Follow up this first meeting with a local Xero function - this may be a Xero Hour monthly meeting or a Roadshow in your area. Finally, talk with any number of accountant-advisors who utilize Xero for their accounting solution. From there, make an informed decision to join the Xero family. Finally, if you do choose to use Xero, take advantage of the numerous resources for training and branding Xero has to offer.

Xero is uniquely positioned as a cloud-based solution with a number of integrations that facilitate valuable services outside of the compliance side of accounting. Everything from bill pay to analytics to intelligence -Xero has a very robust app ecosystem. Xero makes it easy to lay a user-friendly and durable foundation for any small to mid-sized business. The system is easy to deploy and client training knowledge development can be done with ease either in-person or virtually.

Xero review by Gabriela A.
Gabriela A.

"Sales & accounting for all types of businesses"

What do you like best?

Every day you discover something new with Xero. Not being an accountant and/or an IT person I was able to implement the software for three companies, working on implementing it for two more right now.

Xero is easy to use and when you think you reached a dead end, there is always a solution.

What do you dislike?

Support is only available via email, which makes it harder to explain and for them to understand some issues. Sometimes a phone call is faster then 10 emails. Each company has its own peculiarities and explaining them by email makes it hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you get a 30-day trial, totally worth it.

We were looking to change the software we were using to an updated, friendly-user and less expensive software, and we found all of that in Xero..

Xero review by Jim B.
Jim B.

"Very good finance software for small business"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, seamless integration with other finance-related apps.

What do you dislike?

Limitations. This software is really geared toward smaller businesses and users with a limited knowledge of accounting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are already familiar with accounting software, and you are looking for sophistication, Xero is not for you. Xero is a great entry-level finance package.

Easy-to-use finance software. For benefits, we have multiple people around the world using it, from the accountants in the US to the CEO of our parent company in Europe.

Xero review by Elliot H.
Elliot H.

"Not perfect but brilliant accounts solution for small business"

What do you like best?

Nearly everything. I love the fact that it's cloud-based, so accessible from anywhere. The small monthly cost includes unlimited users which is great.

It integrates with other platforms which means we can create automation links easily.

It's pretty easy to set up and learn too.

What do you dislike?

Accruals & prepayments could be easier.

One of our biggest issues is lack of granularity for user permissions. This is still a bit too clunky.

We would like a paid phone support option or a live chat support. Although support is prompt, it's still very stop/start by email

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it, it's fantastic. If Xero can fix the very few small issues, it would be perfect.

Available anywhere, cloud-based.

Simple to use.

Integrates with other platforms with API

"Xero too expensive"

What do you like best?

Simple to use, made business tasks easyer

What do you dislike?

The price has increased out of small businesses price range.

There's nolonger a plan for sole traders or small business. The starter plan also dose not allow for growth with a limit on quotes.

Also the invoices and transactions are limited so much so, business can't be achieved, so it's just a paid test trial.

Leaving us to use the middle plan that has features small business don't need with a huge cost.

At tax filing time, reports can be simply printed out and sent in.

We can see how business is ticking along with charts.

However all other online accounting software offer the exact same thing.

Xero review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Xero is a legit alternative to Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

I've used Quickbooks for 20 years and have wanted to switch to an online option. I ended up using xero because it is robust, easy to use, and forward looking as a platform - that is they have an increasing number of integrations for payments, payroll, etc. We integrated strip to receive customer payments - it was very easy to setup!

What do you dislike?

Xero imported my quickbooks data, but it took me two tries to massage the data just right... I wish they offered telephone support!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a fairly straightforward switch from quickbooks. AS a long time QB user, I'm so glad I finally made it!

All our accounting except payroll is now on xero. We are a small, nimble company so moving our accounting online has been invaluable.

Xero review by Chris F.
Chris F.

"Now I sleep at night!"

What do you like best?

Instant access to reporting so I can see in seconds the key metrics with which I run my finances

What do you dislike?

Nothing notable, the reporting drop downs can take a little white to get used to.

We have simplified our invoicing (issuing and most importantly tracking). The time we take is greatly reduced. P&L reporting is available at my fingertips whenever I need it. Setting the system up was easy and the skill required top operate the GL is greatly reduced meaning we have reduced our costs.

Xero review by Michael N.
Michael N.

"They Run Your Credit Without Consent From You"

What do you like best?

Easy sign-up, good syncing with other software

What do you dislike?

The customer service is customer dis-service. They lie and send erroneous information. They also have poor internal controls so when there is a system malfunction, they want to blame it on the customer. Worst of all when you take them up on their short-comings, they go into overdrive and in my case, they even tried to run my credit without my EXPLICIT consent. Even Banks would ask you nicely!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unhelpful customer service wanting to shift the blame of a buggy system onto a customer and making outrageous requests. They even try to run your credit without your consent. They tried it with me. I wonder when such a company with great potential started hiring slimy managers that try to operate dubiously.

Account reconciliation and reports is a breeze. They still have very poorly trained customer service reps.

Xero review by Kristen Ashley M.
Kristen Ashley M.

"Easy Accounting"

What do you like best?

I like how user-friendly Xero is. I can categorize all my expenses using the app, very quickly and easily. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the detailed reports, but I like that I can run a report about basically anything.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike. Other than the monthly fee :-) I guess the reports are a little tricky, but that's coming from someone with zero accounting experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're like me and new to accounting, get a personal accountant or bookkeeper to help you at first. I definitely needed help with the set-up process. But now, maintenance is easy.

I'm able to keep up with all of my income, expenses, assets, and liabilities as they occur. So come tax time, everything is already organized and ready to go.

Xero review by Jerry P.
Jerry P.

"Simple, straightforward, and cloud based"

What do you like best?

Xero is intuitive, I don't think I've even once had to look at the help files! In addition it prompts you in ways that are genuinely helpful, e.g. asking if you would like to email your invoices, or if you want to allow customers to view their bills on line. All real world, practical stuff.

The UI is well thought out too. The Dashboard can be tailored to individual preferences, but the default view shows logical high level views.

Xero also supports full API integration so you can wire it up with your CRM.

What do you dislike?

Some of the Dashboard elements would be better if you could combine or collapse them (e.g. Bank Accounts - you might just want the overall cash position, not a list of all your accounts). But that aside this is minor and the platform is a great tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple, intuitive, cloud based accounting software. Full feature set, can be tailored and integrated as required. Excellent package, highly recommended for any small to medium sized business.

Putting in new accounting package for start-up businesses.

Xero review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Xero Accounting "

What do you like best?

Xero is very easy to use and customizable. The reports and features are all easy to find and self-explanatory to use. There are many fields that can be used to track sales and expenditures. It is completely in the cloud which makes it easy to access.

What do you dislike?

Having to remove & redo reconciled payments before being able to edit the invoices. Not easy to quickly pull sales data by customer for sales reporting. Difficult to manage contacts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think through what types of things are important for you in reporting so you can set it up cleanly to begin with.

Tracking different types of sales to different sales channels. Xero allowed us the ability for more data entry for more useful insights. Compared to the other options on the market, Xero is the better software.

Xero review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Covers all the day to day tasks I need done"

What do you like best?

Xero handles so much of the workload that would otherwise take a long time to do manually. It's easy to navigate, works well, and being online means collaboration is easy.

What do you dislike?

Some tools can be very slow to load, especially Payroll. The design is clearly a work in progress as it is disjointed with old and new designs spread throughout the site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xero is a great tool that is constantly improving with new features and tools. They're heading in a strong direction and I look forward to seeing what they come out with next.

We manage all our accounts and bookkeeping with Xero, which has minimised the time spent running accounts and enabled us to focus on our business.

Xero review by User in Computer Software

"Perfect for Small Companies! "

What do you like best?

We love Xero, it is absolutely perfect if you have basic accounting needs. It has all the simple accounting needed for small business and the ease of use makes the barrier to entry perfect fort the amount of time most people want to spend on getting to know the product.

What do you dislike?

I have noticed that they tend to have poor customer service. They rarely reply to tickets and sometimes if they do reply it does not clear anything up. That being said, they have a great community which helps you find solutions. If it was a little cheaper, the package would be perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good functionality if you are simply creating invoices or tracking payables. Not good if you are tracking inventory on a regular basis. You do need to have some patience when using it and go online to find answers because as I mentioned earlier - the support from the company itself is not very helpful. But its great for people who need basic account and allows you to track in different currency's which is great if you are doing business in other places.

I can use it anywhere which is awesome - on my phone, tablet and computer. It is also so easy to use because you cane take a photo/scanning an invoice to attach to the payment. It also makes keeping payroll updated easy. The tracking in other currencies and being able to separate that out has been incredibly helpful for us as we operate internationally.

Xero review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"Xero delivers as promised"

What do you like best?

Their UI is great and you get a great overview of your accounts from the dashboard without any hassle. It's easy to setup bank accounts and credits cards to sync and reconciling transactions is a breeze. I also love that you can use Word documents for Invoice and Quote templates instead of the built in template editor (which is limited, but still does the job in some cases). They have a lot of partner integrations available to. I am also using bill.com, and it syncs without any issues. Their mobile app, while missing a few features, makes it easy to manage and track my accounts on the go.

What do you dislike?

I would really like to be able to pay an expense through the bill.com integration, but only invoices are synced. The mobile app should offer the ability to view outstanding quotes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xero is clean, easy to use, and feature rich. If your looking for a simpler platform that gets the job done, Xero will be a great fit.

I am able to track quotes, invoices, and expenses and make sure I get paid and pay the right people in time.

Xero review by Habiba K.
Habiba K.

"Extremely easy to use"

What do you like best?

The ease of payroll and expenses, pay people with a click of a button. Employees capture images of receipts and input info about the expense on their own xero app, available on Android & iOS. You can then approve/decline & make payment with ease.

What do you dislike?

There’s little to not like about xero, sometimes migration from another system is a challenge but more time times than often the transistion is smooth.

I am now an ablento work from home which is a great benefit, xero Ian completely cloud/web based meaning anywhere you can access the internet, you can work. Not a lot really trainign needed at all.

Xero review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Clean layout and helpful explanatory videos"

What do you like best?

I like the layout and format for reviewing and reconciling transactions. I also like the explanatory videos they provide when you need to learn a new process.

What do you dislike?

I haven't had this issue personally, but a handful of other bookkeepers I know say that they have poor customer service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When getting certified as a Xero Partner, be sure to go through the training videos! Not for taking a test, but simply because they are very informative without being too drawn out.

Xero makes it easy to manage multiple bookkeeping clients in one central location. I save a lot of time and energy when it comes to reviewing and reconciling transactions throughout the month.

Xero review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"very easy to use accounting software!"

What do you like best?

Xero is very easy to use, has a great user experience, and almost makes accounting a fun thing to do! Additional mobile apps make things like expense claims etc. very easy as well. Particularly for small businesses a great tool to do your own accounts and saving on having to hire too many accountants.

What do you dislike?

Can't really think of that much negatives, even though I could imagine in larger organisations there will be certain features that could be improved. For a small business it's great as is!

Recommendations to others considering the product

My experience is as a small business owner, and my recommendation would be to try to do as much as you can with Xero yourself first. It is tempting to hire an accountant you will "run" Xero for you. However the main point of having Xero is that everyone (even if you don't have much financial background) can and should be doing their own accounts. You might still need an accountant for annual accounts or other things, but you'll be able to do a lot yourself!

Doing our monthly accounts, expense claims, budget tracking etc. The main benefit is that you can do many things yourself (as a small business owner), and you can save on having to hire accountants

Xero review by Administrator in Public Safety
Administrator in Public Safety

"Beautiful and streamlined"

What do you like best?

Beautiful, easy to use, automatically syncs with bank accounts, easy to get started.

The bank reconciliation feature is incredible, and the visual history of bank accounts is extremely useful.

What do you dislike?

Xero is still in development and missing some features, and the product support team is very inefficient at answering queries.

There is no option to automatically send invoices out at a certain time.

Payroll is slightly clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! We'd make the change again without a second thought.

We've streamlined our accounting department and made our accounts visible, and our accounts team accountable. It's greatly simplified working with our external accountants, as they can just log in and have all our information, rather than having to export a huge report at the end of the year.

Xero review by User in Information Technology and Services

"clean, generally easy to use for small business accounting"

What do you like best?

web access and cleanliness of the overall interface. Able to get up to speed and use very quickly, even for non-accounting types.

What do you dislike?

Expense management, especially for employees is terrible. Their response is to suggest you subscribe to another company's expense software or do weird workarounds via invoicing. For a start-up with employees seeking reimbursement of out of pocket expenses, it is a real negative experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quickbooks and Xero are the two main choices for quick accounting packages. Easy to trial both and form your opinion. If you are not already in the Intuit application universe, Xero is a good alternative and a bit cheaper.

Standard accounting and financial oversight of start-up. Managing cash-flow, monitoring balance sheet, generating quarterly financial statements for investors. Also would like to use it for employee expense management. Main benefit is in standard financial statements management.

Xero review by Consultant in Accounting
Consultant in Accounting

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

The 2 best features are that it is easy for non-accountants to use and it is cloud based. Clients like being able to call and I can log in and see exactly what they are seeing.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge for me was the conversion from QuickBooks to Xero if the accounts payable and accounts receivable were not cleaned up prior to conversion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend Xero to other especially to small business owners who may be doing their own bookkeeping and accounting.

Quick real-time access for clients to their financials and for their accountants to also have real-time access has been wonderful. No more transferring huge QuickBooks back up files on thumb drives months after the most recent close of a month.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Can access it anywhere and Xero links with most bank making bank reconciliation fast and easy.

What do you dislike?

As an online software company, it is usual to have bugs when a new version is released. However, when Xero has bugs it changes things that can cause issues in your accounting system i.e. changing a customers invoice to GST INCL instead of EXCL etc.

If you make changes to a repeating invoice, journal etc the notes give a time and a date but not what was changed.

Help is only available through email which is fine most of the time but sometimes you do need someone to speak to.

Time-saving features like automated bank feeds

Xero review by User

"Easy to to accounting software"

What do you like best?

Its easy to reconcile your accounts and only takes a few clicks of a button. Xero also easily integrates with other software such as Recieptbank and Salesforce so we can using data across multiple platforms. The mobile app is also handy when you need to check on accounts on the go.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes be difficult to find help as previous problems with reconciling resulting in some time in solving the problem.

Being able to access the data on different software has meant we can work quickly and efficiently in one software without having to switch between the two.

Xero review by Matthew R.
Matthew R.

"Love the software and service"

What do you like best?

I am a big fan of Xero. We've been using their software and partnering with their team for the last 3 years. It's incredibly intuitive and easy to use. They remove most of the thinking and help us stay on top of all of our priorities.

What do you dislike?

I feel the reporting could be more robust, but at the same time, I have had no major issues using their tech to date.

Xero allows us to manage invoices and our A/R schedule, produce financial statements for our management team and Board, and of course, manage our accounting.

Xero review by Siobhan H.
Siobhan H.

"Really easy to use for a 'non accountant'"

What do you like best?

The simple interface and flexible workflows make Xero really easy to use. It integrates with Stripe so it's easy to take online payments for invoices.

What do you dislike?

Only difficulty we've had is with purchase order numbers - as far as I know these can only be added in the invoice description.

Basic accounting is made much easier with Xero. It speeds up invoicing no end.

Xero review by Justin P.
Justin P.

"Online accounting that works"

What do you like best?

Besides not being an Intuit product, this accounting platform works with accountants and non-accountants in a way that makes sense. Data entry is easy, even when it has to be coded in Excel. The Yodlee bank feeds are pretty comprehensive and easy to work with. The reporting has gotten a lot better and offers a wide range of custom dates and scenarios.

What do you dislike?

The payroll aspect is not fully developed and can not compete with other dedicated payroll processors on price. Once payroll gets complete across all 50 states and offers full paperless capability, Xero will completely outclass its rivals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you wish to be untethered from a large accounting platform, get rid of monthly closes, Xero clearly outshines the rest.

Cloud accounting has been solved with Xero. It is so easy to use that even a client can work with it.

Our next step is to start using the other integrating features, like Bill.com, inventory management, and timekeeping apps.

Xero review by User in Computer Software

"Decent browser UI, much more usable for mobile "

What do you like best?

Mobile expense upload, mobile experience all around is very intuitive. Easy to take a picture, easy submission and quick response time from finance.

What do you dislike?

Website app is not as user friendly as it could be, mobile app is much easier to use. Also, difficult to use behind a firewall like Samsung Knox, but this is not a problem unique to Xero. Reporting functionality connected to the dashboard for the company could be better, seems like only certain fields are able to be pulled through API connection

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really good mobile experience, if you are looking for a mobile first end user experience I'd recommend. Not as friendly from a browser perspective.

Finance, expense. Ability to take pictures of receipts, automatically submit for approval. Taken the pain out of expense approval

Xero review by Dante M.
Dante M.

"Top cloud accounting software"

What do you like best?

The ability to automatically code line items from AI in Xero. This allows for a super fast accounting process.

What do you dislike?

Payroll in Xero is not usable in specific states in the United States.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hire a cloud bookkeeper if considering Xero to make your accounting process streamlined and simplified.

Xero creates a seamless accounting process. Users do not need knowledge of accounting to utilize Xero.

Xero review by Logan W.
Logan W.

"Intuitive small business bookkeeping software"

What do you like best?

I find Xero intuitive. The concept of transaction reconciliation as laid out in Xero makes sense to me. Automatic transaction imports are very convenient and less error-prone.

What do you dislike?

I don't like Xero's inventory functionality and I also wish Xero had more connections. I'd like to automatically import my Amazon, eBay, Walmart, etc. merchant transactions.

I was previously paying $140 monthly for bookkeeping service that did not meet my quality expectations. With Xero, I spend about an hour each month preparing the books and the software only costs me $30/month.

Xero review by Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting
Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting

"Xero is great (except for lack of support)"

What do you like best?

The simple interface

Reliable performance

Customisable reporting

What do you dislike?

There are features which are hidden (e.g. Trust/Fund reporting) from people who are not tax agents or registered accountants.

The support is only delayed/online - you cannot call, chat or email a real person! There are some irate people in the Xero Community discussion forums and some who have had to move to other products because it was too frustrating for them (I was ALMOST one of those myself, if it had not been for my superb financial controller who got us out of a jam).

The multi-currency FX feature exists but NOT for expense claims (the most common need my business has for FX)!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know your CoA, your business and are self-sufficient with accounting/admin

Management accounting and reporting

Tracking of income/expenses by asset

Statutory reporting

Xero review by Scott D.
Scott D.

"Product Good - Vendor Relationships Such As Stripe Terrible"

What do you like best?

Software is graceful and easy to use. There is a lot of horsepower available, but unfortunately, will have to stop using the software because of the credit card processing vendor charging my customers but not paying us.

What do you dislike?

There choice of vendors, specifically Stripe credit card processing, ends up being a poor reflection for Xero. Stripe has over $16,000 of our money and we have received $0. XERO will not help in contacting Stripe. When I contacted XERO support, they said I had to speak to Stripe. I told them I had tried 5 times with no response, they said XERO couldn't help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful on any recommended vendors by Xero - QC appears lacking.

Billing systems. Billing process is smooth, we just don't get paid!

Xero review by Dominic E.
Dominic E.

"Basic enough for new business, expansive enough for bigger ones"

What do you like best?

That it is fully web based and you can give access to anyone who may need to view and access your accounts.

It is also handy that you can control what functions different people have access too, so that someone in sales could not do journal entries for example.

It is also great that you can integrate it with your CRM as long as there is an interface available - albeit at an additional cost.

Being able to maintain all the bills and invoices online is perfect and reduces the paperwork in the office.

It is especially good if your clients or suppliers are also using Xero as it can transfer the invoices internally to the system which removes the need to rekey them - thus reducing any errors.

The rules that you can set up in the system to automatically match and reconcile bank payments is very useful, as is the ability to directly import your bank statements from many different banks.

What do you dislike?

It is not necessarily intuitive, and you will need training from someone who knows what they are doing and I highly recommend working with an accountant who is familiar with it so that they can set it up and test it for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do take a look at Sage Online and other accounting packages to make sure this meets your need - but I would talk to your accountant as see what works for them, as they will most probably be the place you are getting support from.

Using Xero helps me to keep in touch and up to date with my accountants, so that we can easily share real time data to make business decisions.

Xero review by Tony W.
Tony W.

"Promising Start great piece of Software "

What do you like best?

Easy of use and drill down ability from P&L to an invoice. Integration with our Business Management Software (Filemaker) and Deputy

What do you dislike?

Nothing at the moment, nothing at the moment

Recommendations to others considering the product

We moved from Sage Accounts package. The best thing we have ever done.

Access from multiple locations. Flexible working

Xero review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"BEST cloud accounting software ever"

What do you like best?

I love the value of Xero. You can do so much in it and it has an amazing ecosystem of apps that integrate with Xero. There is a lot of flexibility/functionality with Xero.

What do you dislike?

As a Canadian user, we do see some limitations how xero functions. For example, we cannot create a CSV direct from xero to upload to our bank to create an EFT/ACH.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its great for small medium business. Really consider xero vs going with an vanity 'enterprise' solution like Netsuite

We are able to handle the "plumbing"of accounting, meaning its something thats in the background and just works.

Xero review by Vince K.
Vince K.

"An OK alternative to Quickbooks Online"

What do you like best?

I like the rules we can set up for recurring transactions. It makes reconciling very easy.

What do you dislike?

I don't care for the dashboard as much as I do Quickbooks Online's. The sync feature for our bank account is cumbersome and seems to take a long time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use QB Online for one business and decided to try Xero for another. I think based on the familiarity of QB Online, I'd go with that given the opportunity to start over.

It's good for recording income and expenses...like it should. Overall, it does just what it needs to.

Xero review by Amy (Ye) L.
Amy (Ye) L.

"Review for Xero"

What do you like best?

It's an online software so you don't need to download and install anything. Also you can access the account anywhere and any time as long as you have internet access. It's easy to share data with customers and accountants as everything is shown online.

What do you dislike?

If the internet is slow, sometimes it's hard to open the website and it's hard to get to the website in some countries.

Accounting and management process can be solved using Xero. it's easy and fast to share up to date data with other people.

Xero review by Ross H.
Ross H.

"Xero is a great bit of kit"

What do you like best?

Integration with banking systems which promote easy account reconciliation.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is "big" and wasteful of space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you conduct a trial make sure you set up bank feeds; this will show you the true power of Xero reconciliation.

Remote working; Xero provides us the facility to access our accounting over the cloud. This works seamlessly when working away from our head office.

Xero review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Easy to use Bookkeeping System"

What do you like best?

It is so easy to use, and has all the necessary functions from small to large businesses.

What do you dislike?

I really cannot fault this program - I have been using it for many years and it is just easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can get a trial package to see how it works - do it and you will not be disappointed.

I do bookwork for a local cafe, so they do all payroll, payment etc and I can balance everything from home so no need to be at their location.

Xero review by Thomas S.
Thomas S.

"Beautiful accounting?"

What do you like best?

So, it's probably a bit of a stretch to say it's beautiful but it is extremely clean and easy to use. The interface is simple and intuitive, making using Xero extremely easy. Not only that, but the bank feeds make reconciling bank accounts a breeze.

It's well equipped too, coming with the usual array of accounting features such as balance sheet & profit and loss, and also management reports & budgeting. You can also use tracking and extra invoicing details to help create a wealth of important information you can use to run your business.

Finally, the clincher for me is the wealth of products that integrate in with Xero which provide a huge array of linked options for running your business, without re-keying data, which is a key time save for any small business.

What do you dislike?

As highlighted by another use, journals aren't particularly well provided for. In addition, wages in the UK can't be used to submit anything to HMRC as they require & finally the integrations are often a one way affair which means that they aren't perfect, Xero needs to work more closely at working back with other providers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to trial the product, consider what you need for your business and also look at other products that may integrate in with Xero too, and how these will work together, and what that means for your date.

As an accountant, we need to be able to recommend simple & effective software to our clients, and Xero is perfect for this.

Xero review by Karen W.
Karen W.

"User-friendly, well-designed accounting software"

What do you like best?

A good small business software for businesses that don't need advanced features. Very good onboarding tools and resources

What do you dislike?

Cloud synchronization can be slow at times. Terminology is clearly designed for another market. It's Payroll in North America, not Pay Run. Not a huge issue though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is particularly useful for SME business owners who want continuous access to their financials and tax standing.

Needed a user-friendly cloud-based accounting software with mobile access.

Xero review by Ralf K.
Ralf K.

"Unfortunately don't recommend for quickly growing business"

What do you like best?

Xero is quite useful and despite accounting not being my best side as a small business owner I can pull out quite a lot of data that is easily understandable. It's easy to use and money reconciliation with direct connection to bank saves a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately Xero is for only sole traders or people who do small / tiny business and don't care about growth. Xero support is beyond bad, there's no phone support and emails are usually answered after a day or two. In case where the business is literally running on its toes, growing quickly and need to adapt very quickly to any change, lack of support is a deal breaker.

There's also a few things that are really confusing (like attaching a file to the invoice, you need to attach it a couple of times to make it work) but according to Xero they're working on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a sole trader or 1 man band - Xero is for you. If you're planning to grow, avoid Xero as you'll have big costs involved in the future with moving to another accounting software.

As mentioned we're small internet based business but growing about 100-150% a year. After using Xero for about 2 years I passed all of the management to our accountants who are Xero partners. Even them have problems with Xero and ask us (as account managers) to contact support. To be honest reviewer - this is a review of the user who is leaving Xero after 3 happy years, because the last year was quite unhappy and Xero just couldn't handle it.

As a side note I'd like to mention that from Xero support it slipped out that Xero company is not using Xero themselves! (as accounting software)

Xero review by User in Events Services
User in Events Services

"Basic Accounting Needs Met"

What do you like best?

Xero is easy to learn, and can be customized to anything you wish. When you "wish for a feature" there is a strong chance Xero has it. Mobile app allows for on the go access

What do you dislike?

Some "shortcuts" provided in Xero can cause minor mistakes. Make sure to take your time when going through

Steam lining processes. The ability to create an invoice, bill a client and offer various payment options through the Xero platform has allowed for a continued growth in the business and less paperwork

Xero review by Sarah D.
Sarah D.

"Xero is fine, but needs work"

What do you like best?

I prefer cloud-based accounting software like Xero because it allows me to interact easily with clients who aren't local. Xero is popular with my international clients and I was introduced to it through them. It was easy to learn and it's a nice looking package.

Creating identifying rules was incredibly easy and Xero does a great job of recognizing transactions.

What do you dislike?

Xero focuses on automation. It works best if you link it directly with bank accounts, credit cards, etc. But many clients are wary of that kind of access and prefer to provide me with Excel spreadsheets. Xero requires multiple steps in order to convert an Excel spreadsheet into data that Xero can understand and import. I think that integration with Excel is a pretty basic requirement for accounting software and Xero hasn't provided it.

Further more, manual entries are cumbersome. Xero forces you to do them one at a time, instead of providing a general ledger type of entry.

I realize that these complaints are a little "old school" and Xero is focused more on moving away from out of date bookkeeping methods - but not all of my clients are ready for new technology. As a result, I tend not to recommend Xero to anyone unless they are ready for complete automation.

Xero doesn't seem to make it easy for clients to grant direct access to their accountants. Most of my clients provide me with their actual login credentials. Actually, it does seem to be easy, just not obvious - Xero should work harder to make clients AND accountants aware of this feature. Xero requires that accountants endorse/sell Xero on their website in order to get free access. Quickbooks Online doesn't require this, and I think it discourages accountants from trying Xero.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xero is an accounting software that focuses on efficiency. It is not the software for people who like the "old ways" of manual entry or Excel spreadsheets. Xero is easiest to use if you're willing to give it direct access to bank accounts and credit cards.

Becoming knowledgeable about Xero has opened my firm up to an international client base. Xero continues to be unpopular with my US clients (who prefer Quickbooks), but is by far the preferred software among my clients outside of the United States.

Xero review by User in Semiconductors
User in Semiconductors

"Great Website for Small Business"

What do you like best?

-User friendly platform.

-Gave you easy access to AP and A/R modules, bank reconciliation, manual journal entries, budget vs actual, balance sheet, and income statement.

What do you dislike?

-Limited options/programming for intercompany transactions.

- Bank reconciliation can be tricky. You need to have a certain format .cvs and have to copy paste the content to the new sheet before the software can take it.

- Easy cloud based platform

- User friendly

- Price is relatively low for $ 30.00 per month

Xero review by Jeffrey L.
Jeffrey L.

"Over promise and under deliver"

What do you like best?

Online access for a number of users is a real advantage. I like being able to link in my accountant. Constant bank account updates is another plus. Overall I like the package but the reviews I've read ignore any of the limitations of the software.

What do you dislike?

Processes are slow, slow slow! Direct Deposit takes 3-5 days for Xero to confirm, then another 5-7 days for their direct deposit partner to confirm. At each stage you think you are done until you try to process payroll. The time it takes and the processes related to setting up electronic payments are unacceptable.

The software is not set up to be compatible with some common web browsers

Xero says they will respond within 24 hours to questions but there is no assistance on weekends - when do they think small businesses do their accounting?

Overall I still like the package but believe they are deleting negative reviews. The reviews I've read imply the software is outstanding, which it is not.

It's accounting software and I'm doing accounting with it.

Xero review by Ron N.
Ron N.

"Amazing (simple), robust, cloud based accounting software"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, easy to start, the company is international and growing, and the user fee is extremely cost effective and competitive! We have been on Xero Accounting for 5+ years (before anyone in the USA even knew about them)...

and I use it for my four businesses, and we are excited to convert to their payroll program shortly here in Colorado, which is also included with their base pricing. Once that is completed - what we will save on automated payroll processing (through intuit) more that pays for all four business licenses! I'm VERY IMPRESSED with both the product, up-time, simplicity of use, the continued upgrading of the product, as well as the company. I'm now trying to figure out how to invest in these guys from NZ, since their company growth rate exceeds 75% and they now have over 1/2 million small business users worldwide.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - everyone in the company is extremely responsive, there is xero (pun intended) down time, and the bank feeds are an amazing time saver on reconciliation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do yourself a favor and make the switch - Xero is one business decision that was good 5+ years ago, and now is a "no-brainer" for anyone who does the research... the more you look and compare, the better they will look!

Save time - which is the most valuable resource in a consulting business.

Xero review by David F.
David F.

"We have used Xero for years and think it is great"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use, and handles most small to medium enterprise accounting requirements

What do you dislike?

It would be great if it handled SAAS software subscriptions, and had more HR functions covered in the payroll solution

We do all our accounting and payroll via Xero, and it is really intuiitive and easy to use

Xero review by Sean W.
Sean W.

"Excellent accounting software"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and understand for the non-accountant. My clients love this software because it uses simple terms, not accounting terms, like “spend money” and “receive money” instead of credit and debit. There are many integrations that help streamline the accounting process.

What do you dislike?

There’s not a lot I don’t like. If I had to pick one thing it would be the Payroll feature. If it is used incorrectly it is extremely difficult to fix.

Accounting solutions.

Xero review by User in International Trade and Development
User in International Trade and Development

"Bank feed doesn't work and help desk said problem could persist indefinitely "

What do you like best?

I own a small business with 1 employee and decided to go with Xero cause it had great reviews and seemed like a good user friendly option. Nice features are tax payment reminders and creating rules for certain transactions to make reconciliation faster as you go on.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, after using Xero for two months the bank feed stopped working. After going back and forth with Zero support for about a month they finally called me and told me that my problem was a known one that affects a handful of Xero users and at this time they have no workable solution for my account except recommend I manually import my bank transactions indefinitely, because they pretty much had no solution to my problem. I was told it could take days, or months or even never to resolve the problem. Had I known this would happen I would have gone with Quickbooks. When I asked if I could receive a discount on my service since it was handicapped they offered 30 days free for the month it took them to tell me they couldn't fix my problem but otherwise could not offer any further discounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software may work for some businesses, but there are very few accountants or on-line accounting services that offer support for Xero users. The fact there is a known bug with no knowable time-line for fixing it is deplorable. Even worse is asking using users to forego the most important feature of Xero - it's user friendliness. I cannot in good faith recommend this program to anyone.

None, I hate the software.

Xero review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Fantastic software, easy to use for accountants. "

What do you like best?

Xero is a straight forward accounting software which allows you to create invoices without the hassel. It allows you to limit access to users so you can decide which user can view what. This is a benefit as there is alot of confidential information. Xero allows you to have repeating invoices each month which saves you time creating them. I dont have a bad word to say, i love it!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing i dislike to Xero. It aall works how i want it to work and does what i need.

We have a supscription fee which the client is billed for each month. Using the repeating invoice feature saves so much time and is really efficent.

Xero review by User in Airlines/Aviation
User in Airlines/Aviation

"Beautiful and easy to use"

What do you like best?

The clean interface is something make it delightful to use the system. The system is also very easy to use, all featuires are organized in a very logical manner.

What do you dislike?

There hasn't been much update on the system recently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best web accounting software I've ever use. Give it a try!

Automate most accounting process. We are startup with almost no time to work on the book, we use Xero to automate most of the thing, like auto-generate bills and invoices.

Xero review by Sheryl K.
Sheryl K.

"The Future of Quickbooks is Xero "

What do you like best?

That's right you heard that correctly. I was a Quickbooks user for years, until I finally converted to a Mac. After about a week with Quickbooks online I bailed. Everything that I heard about Quickbooks for Mac proved to be accurate enough for me to make the switch. What Apple did to Microsoft Xero wants to do to Quickbooks online. Xero is easier to use albeit converting from QB is not necessarily pretty but they do their best by doing it for you if need be. The interface is easy and far more elegant along with being mobile responsive and not over engineered. They offer good 3rd party integration with Quotient as well which was a plus for my business. Loved the online

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any complaints in this department. My accountant seemed to think it wasn't as robust as QB but was definitely workable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be put off that the company is based outside the US. They have support here and are highly responsive.

Accounting and bookkeeping is really streamlined for the small business and solopreneur. It's much easier to work in and elegant in terms of reporting and output.

Xero review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Xero transformed our accounting"

What do you like best?

The fact that it pulls in all the transactions from different bank accounts and credit cards, then recognises the regular ones and automatically categorises them so reconciling is just click-click-click etc to approve them all which is so much quicker than having to enter transactions.

What do you dislike?

The fact that they discontinued their version for home use.

It's great that my accountants can see my books in real time and advise me accordingly as we go along

Xero review by David G.
David G.

"Really simple to use and feature rich"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and intuitive interface. Great integrations with other platforms. Really nice way to administer all orders, invoices, etc in a paperless environment. Easy for others to view information regardless of the their location.

What do you dislike?

You will need to run training to get the most from Xero. Occasional bugs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have lots of paper all over the office, get Xero. It's really simple and keeps everything up to date in one place online.

Saves a huge amount of time for a small business with no dedicated accounting staff.

Xero review by User in Design
User in Design

"Lacking in functionality and move very slowly"

What do you like best?

It is online and reasonably easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The product is incomplete. it is missing a lot of features that the community have been asking for for over 3-4 years and they have not made any progress. No changes, updates or improvements except at the high end obviously for their favouritre "large" customers.

Then they implement price increases on the lowend users who've received no improvements at all

Recommendations to others considering the product

make a lit of your top 5 most important requirements and ask the community first.

If you are a small business, you will find this lacking in what would be considered must have.

trying to run my business accounts.

only partially solved them - a lot of manual workarounds required

Xero review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Simplified accounting with an easy to use interface"

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to process transactions directly from your bank accounts, with transactions imported on a daily basis. I also like how easy it is to integrate with Stripe and other apps, such as Zapier.

What do you dislike?

Most support is handled through external advisors, rather than from the Xero team themselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Xero for a small business that has outgrown Quickbooks, and/or is looking for something easier.

Simplified bookkeeping and financial reporting. I love having a daily look at the business.

Xero review by Jared S.
Jared S.

"Xero is a solid cloud accounting solution with some strong API options"

What do you like best?

The API enables a small business to create a great cloud accounting solution with connected software platforms. Additionally, the software was created for the non-CPA... so the average business owner can make sense of the software better than other solutions.

What do you dislike?

Converting data from QuickBooks or QB online is still not great. Though there is a conversion tool, it still requires more manual work than most would guess.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xero is a great solution for small businesses that need the basics from the accounting solution. It is a great, mobile solution. However, ensure you have a solution to get the right data that is clean and accurate into Xero from the beginning.

As an accounting firm, we want to help clients extract real time + accurate data from their financial performance. Xero has helped us create a virtual accounting platform to manage the back end of the business and create a management dashboard leadership teams find helpful.

"Beautiful my ass"

What do you like best?

The software automates the process of reconciling purchases based on previous entries, which can be helpful. Everything is available on mobile, And your accountant can login to see your activity in real time, which is cool.

What do you dislike?

The software is anything but beautiful. Let’s be honest, Excel is prettier that their platform. Xero is boxy at best and doesn’t have the reporting functionality of something like Google Sheets. Best for small businesses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about what you really needs from your software first. And when you’re spending too much time trying to implement it, remember that sometimes it’s the software... not you.

Doing basic accounting and tracking funds flow.

Xero review by Maurice K.
Maurice K.

"The Best & Easiest Accounting App. in the Cloud "

What do you like best?

XERO (even for a farmer like me) made my accounting work Easy and Fun

yes fun because it's simple and laid out with the user in mind. So you don't need a degree in accounting just common sense. But don't take my word for it, just try it out, but i am sure that within one hour you see the value.

What do you dislike?

I basically like everything, so far no complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it !! and see for yourself

It doesn't solve a problem, it's just that before XERO we had to spend much more time on bookkeeping using spreadsheets etc. so XERO made life easier and save's time and it is really pleasant to work with.

Xero review by Paul J.
Paul J.

"Very good tool for SMB"

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to use and intuitive.

Reporting is average in the base, but can definitely be improved through leveraging one of the marketplace products.

The marketplace which has many options to meet vertical and general business needs is strong. There are many add-on solutions available with more being added as Xero continues to grow in popularity.

As an accountant I definitely prefer Xero over QBO at this point.

What do you dislike?

As has been mentioned by other users, the journal updating process can be a bit tedious. However, my experience has been that Xero has been willing to listen to their users and I suspect this will be addressed.

The reporting leaves room for improvement, but like I stated above, there are numerous tools available in the marketplace that offer great options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As an accounting process outsourcer, I definitely prefer Xero over the QuickBooks Online product. While QuickBooks Online has been working hard to catch up, I feel that Xero is still way ahead in the race simply due to them hitting the cloud accounting market first with a solid product.

If you find areas within Xero that you don't feel are adequately addressed from the application, check out the marketplace as there are some great solutions there. Furthermore, if you use another application that doesn't already have an integration with Xero, check out Zapier as an option to provide an integration.

We are using Xero internally to manage many of our accounting client's needs. After going through trials of both QuickBooks Online I feel that Xero provides for a smoother and 'friendlier' process for us and our clients.

Integrating with other business critical applications has been awesome! The amount of time savings alone through integrations with payroll and POS systems has been substantial.

Xero review by Heather H.
Heather H.

"Good, would be great if integrated with bank"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and makes bookkeeping simple

What do you dislike?

Cannot automatically integrate with my bank so have to manually import bank statements

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check to see if Xero integrates your bank statements automatically

Bookkeeping, tax prep