XMind

XMind develops robust mind mapping, brainstorming and collaboration software and services.

Work for XMind?

Learning about XMind?

XMind Reviews

Ask XMind a Question
Showing 25 XMind reviews
XMind review by Krzysztof O.
Krzysztof O.

"I looooove XMind"

What do you like best?

When I'm writing a book, thinking about something new or innovative, try to speak with my colleagues, work with my friends I click a couple of time and bam! - magic happens and everybody understand everybody. I'm testing ZEN and it looks smooth and relaxed to work with. I persuaded my CEO to us it for his own things. I would love to buy a full pro license for my company. I think that I will go Pro when ZEN final will be released

What do you dislike?

Why there is no Android version is beyond me. The system is based on eclipse so there are moments when it is a little heavy, and slow. No more cloud... I loved that, but they took it down. I would like to see if Gantt feature is worth the price (among other things) but I have to buy it to test it - that is lame.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, and then use it again. It can be hard at the beginning to work with mind maps, but when you will discover capacities then WoW will happen.

Problem solving, and communications. It is so easy to show what I meant with XMind that I shame myself for not finding it earlier. I would love to try the gantt feature. I plan the general development in XMind.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about XMind
XMind review by Celil .
Celil .

"High Ability, Easy to Use and Free Version"

What do you like best?

Xmind is powerful and flexible tool for brainstorming. You can reflect all in your mind without limits. Because Xmind has many ability. You can add more than one central topic, connect childs, add table (name as matrix), add fishbone, add process flow, add documants and so on.

Shortcuts are speed up your using the tool, it is very important to write the things in your mind quickly down to the tool.

Presentation ability in Pro Version ability to highlight XMind from others.

Free version for non-commercial use is available.

What do you dislike?

Actually nothing but for more freedom on worksheet it would be better if I can move main topics freely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe Xmind pro version preferable to simplify your presentation challange.

Brainstorming requirement solved completly.

In addition to that you can use it for strategic decisions, problem solving, taking note, analyzing something.

What Diagramming solution do you use?

XMind review by Teresa C.
Teresa C.

"Useful in many domains"

What do you like best?

Mind mapping is a "way to think" and organize ideas and concepts. Several IT tools exist in this domain but Xmind is really the best one in terms of UI and features. The maps are highly configurable. It is so easy to use that it is possible to create maps "in real time" during a meeting, which is really useful in our field. You can add markers, comments, notes, links, images...

What do you dislike?

The only important limit of this tool is the lack of collaboration with other users, 'cause it is not a web based solution, easily shareable.

Of course I'd like to have more functions for free but it is not mandatory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

just try and you will see :)

I use Xmnd for several tasks in UX/UI field: to create Architecture in Information (for web sites), to create content carthography, to put Personas, to make basic Card Sorting, to classify ideas into categories, to create a user path into a digital product (with screenshots for each screen of a flow, for exemple)...

XMind review by Bernardo C.
Bernardo C.

"Nice mind mapping tool."

What do you like best?

Xmind is a very easy to use mind mapping software. It's user interface allows us to easily understand how does it work and it it pretty versatile in terms of stablishing relationships among text boxes.

More: the free version allows for enough connections, making it one of the best free mind mapping softwares available.

What do you dislike?

The app is not very fast and consumes plenty of resources, with makes it hard to use when dealing with several amounts of data/diagrams, making it hard to navigate accross the app. It could also be important to have a feature that allowed us to share the diagrams with out colleagues, so that we could cowork.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an easy to use free mind mapping App, xmind is one of the best.

XMind serves the purpose of helping us, marketeers, organize information and structure it in a way that it is easier to understand the workflow of a specific process.

XMind review by Gjalt W.
Gjalt W.

"Good for organizing research"

What do you like best?

XMind is a mature, desktop based, mind mapping tool. I can organize my research very well. Dragging topics around works well. Linking to documents stored on the filesystem works well.

What do you dislike?

The product can be a bit slow to load/operate sometimes. Probably because it is based on Java. My opinion is that a modern product should have a fast and responsive UI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for desktop software XMind is a great pption. We hava that requirement because we do not want our information stored in a cloud service.

Organizing my research. Adding links to websites, documents, video's works very well. Supports large mind maps by using different tabs that can be linked together.

XMind review by Andy M.
Andy M.

"Worth the money"

What do you like best?

I like that it has made it way easier to understand product flow and timelines. We've implemented the use of xMind mindmaps throughout our product development department and it has significantly changed the way we do business internally. The product completes 90% of needs. The other 10% is direct involvement from the agile process that makes things easier to comprehend and our sprints more organized.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that the product is clunky, has a dated UI and is in desperate need of an overhaul from a design perspective. I get that it was designed for more technically minded people, but beautiful presentations sometimes make or break what's going on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you're ready to spend a significant amount of time understanding the product and some of its quirks. It is a massive time saver, but it is not incredibly user friendly and desperately needs a UI update.

The business problems that we solved were primarily based on organization. We've realized significant cost savings in having organized plans that are easy to follow and use. It has also organized our product maps to make them make more sense and to do more while working.

XMind review by Paul C. E.
Paul C. E.

"Best MindMapping Application I've Used—Useful for much more than brainstorming"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use, especially if you take a little time to learn the keyboard shortcuts. It is a very fluid and easy to navigate mind-mapping application. I also like the ability to easily switch among multiple formats. In addition to a traditional mind-map cloud, you can create a variety of vertical and horizontal trees, fishbone diagrams, and other diagram formats.

I've used it not only for brainstorming and organizing my thoughts, but it is also useful to create outlines, work breakdown structures, org charts, and simple project diagrams. I continue to find new ways to use the software. With the professional version, you can link to MS Project and export to Word, PowerPoint, and PDF documents and create an interactive Web pages.

Also useful is the presentation view that allows you to present and walk-through a diagram to a large group on an overhead or via a web cast, where it might otherwise be difficult to view the diagram.

What do you dislike?

If you insist on using your mouse, some of the features require multiple clicks and it is not always readily apparent where to find the button or menu item you are looking form.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts. Using a keyboard greatly increases your productivity with this software over using a pointing device.

I use this for three primary purposes:

1. The brainstorm and organize my thoughts

2. As a way to capture information during group-planning exercises

3. To create professional and easy to understand diagrams for presentations and discussions

XMind review by Matteo M.
Matteo M.

"Excellent product to make patterns of each type"

What do you like best?

The great thing about XMind is related to the large number of customization options that can be used: I made particular use of this software during the years of university study. It's easy to take notes on the fly by creating a diagram of what is said in classroom during lessons. Each element of tree diagrams can be decorated with notes. There are so many different styles to make it more readable diagrams. The software is crossplatform and is also supported by third-party applications (such as iOS mobile application). The most interesting aspect is definitely export options: for a machine learning course I realized lot of schemas in different sheet and then I printed them as PDF, with the advantage that the contents are automatically sorted in the order of creation (without losing consistency). You could also choose to export with index of contents and in Word format, to change the style (font, dimension, etc). Before this, I used a lot MindNode, but this is definitely better.

What do you dislike?

The biggest XMind problem is its complexity when managing very large sheets, the program tends to consume a lot of resources, especially because of its interface. It happened several times to end up in those loop-situations where you reopen the file on which you were working hundreds of times and you end up not to complete the task you were doing (for example, exporting in xml format, especially if the pattern is full of images, texts and cross-references: especially this kind of links are sometimes broken and creates different problems during index generation, specially with high level of "subsubsection" and paragraph). In the past I have solved this kind of "trouble shutting" closing the various joint points of the scheme: this brings an advantage in performance because the program must "render" fewer objects on the sheet, but it is not a permanent solution. In general, the software is heavy and consumes a lot of resources, especially on older computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get yourself a computer not too old, especially if you want to use the program with some IDE or opened browser with lot of tabs (or worse, virtual machines)

The program is useful for the study and the lay out of very large content: you can conduct research and in general it is useful to display the result of the summaries created on different devices.

XMind review by Bassem D.
Bassem D.

"Great but Lacking"

What do you like best?

I really liked XMind to the point that I upgraded to XMind 7 Pro. XMind is easy to pickup, you will need to learn a few keyboard shortcuts and you'll be on your way within 30 minutes (worst case). The latest version (7) was a great upgrade, I use it on OSX and there's nothing that competes with it. It handles large mind-maps with ease, doesn't lag, and the map navigation is quite simple and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I hate the way XMind deals with styles and themes. It is frustratingly cumbersome to create a new theme! Fonts and style for me are very essential and if I can't customise my mind-map the way I need it easily, this is an issue. The marker icons are ok, but they don't feel top notch. I would really like for media to be alive in my mind-maps (i.e. images directly loaded in the background, links crawled and summarised, capacity to play videos etc...) it doesn't do any of those.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free version before buying. You need to get used to XMind before loving it, especially if you're picky about the application design and UI.

I mostly use XMind to brainstorm a certain topic, prepare a presentation, prepare my lectures, meetings or otherwise. I also use it extensively in my presentations to guide the audience in a structured manner around a central topic. I also use it to create timelines, and high-level project plans (but not the final versions).

XMind review by Miguel G.
Miguel G.

"Great multiplatform mind mapping tool"

What do you like best?

The basic free version of XMind is more than enough for my needs. The Paid version has very interesting exporting and project management features, but I cannot speak for those (yet?). What I find most convenient is the fact that it runs on every platform we use at work: Windows, Mac and Linux so I know I can use the tool on whichever OS I'm in (I switch frequently) or colleagues I share mind maps with.

Editing with the keyboard and moving things around is also very well solved.

What do you dislike?

For the paid features, I wish they had a trial period or similar (though they have a 30 days money back guarantee grant). I'd love to evaluate those.

I'd also appreciate things like automated numbering of sections/nodes, and updated upon reorganisation. I very often use the tool to start writing drafts for my documents and then export to plain text for further edition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it ago, specially if considering buying a paid tool for basic mind mapping. XMind may be just what you're looking for, it does the job very well for me!

XMind helps me mostly when taking notes and organising everything on the fly. It has basic editing and highlighting features that I use to mark out information visually. I very often just share my notes after meetings as XMind files and I typically also include a PDF export for my colleagues not having the application installed.

XMind review by Bertrand D.
Bertrand D.

"An easy trip to self organization"

What do you like best?

I'm using Xmind for my own usage and I appreciate the rather complete functionalities in this use case, for a free version. (I previously used Mind Manager, until my company switched to the free version of Xmind)

What do you dislike?

Some new functionalities since version 6 are quite poor in the free version and they're pushing users towards the licensed version a bit too obviously

Useful functionalities for collaborative work are in the licensed version, thus preventing a more complete usage in my case

Recommendations to others considering the product

Xmind is a good tool for getting self organized but might fall short for a collaborative team usage

My main use cases are

- Brainstorming

- Managing my to do list

- Meeting minutes

XMind review by Brett B.
Brett B.

"Great option"

What do you like best?

I really like to use xMind when putting together hierarchy/structures of management or websites.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that sticks out to me that I do not like about this program. However I do not use it very frequently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free, so worth a shot!

How to structure a website or organization. I like this because the visuals are very easy for people to follow and understand.

XMind review by Jyotirmoy K.
Jyotirmoy K.

"Requirement analysis using XMind to produce Mindmap of the high level features of an application"

What do you like best?

Can be used to produce detailed mind map of the application.

Variety of notations available which makes the mindmap visually impressive.

Ease of use.

Desktop software which could be easily installed in user PC.

Very useful in producing decision maps, SWOT analysis, Org Chart, Cuase Effect map,

Mind maps could be shared on the local network and can be used by anyone who have this software installed.

What do you dislike?

This software helps to create mindmaps.Comparing with Miscrosoft software that has similar capabilty to prodice these maps Xmind has fewer options that it. But it is undoubtedly a very good software to start with and get hands on using it. You can then move on to use other softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this software to create high level mind maps.

There are different types of business problems ranging from how to produce project report/dashboard, analyis of high level requirements, creation of cause effect flows etc.

The idea was to capture as many requirements as possible from the stakeholders and produce a mindmap of what was discussed. Then get it reviewed/approved and take it to the next finer details.

The other benefit of using this software could be realised in producing the cause effect map of the some of the existing issues customer face and what better could be done to mitigate those issues.

The benefit was that what we used to do using pen and paper could be easily created using this software and distributing it to all involved. Quick and easy.

XMind review by Sergey L.
Sergey L.

"Generally good for mind maps"

What do you like best?

Provides variety of tools. Not just basic nodes and sub-nodes, but also labels, groups, cross-links, etc

Applying graphic markers is quite handy

What do you dislike?

Very poor library of graphic markers

Has troubles with free position / overlap mode

Cross links tend to entangle and only managed manually - automatic layout would have been nice

Mind mapping is more powerful tool than classic checklists, allows us to

- research new domain areas, map concepts and their relations

- build area overview, identifying different aspects and ranking their health, required actions and follow ups

XMind review by Mathieu D.
Mathieu D.

"Excellent mind-mapping tool"

What do you like best?

Extensive range of features that don't get in the way of the core functionality. Easy to use, intuitive keyboard shortcuts. Right balance between accessible interface and focus on your creating your mindmap.

Also, the free version has quite an extensive range of features already.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't load as fast as I'd like it to. This might seem to be a small detail, but when you're in a certain flow, you don't want any kind of slow-down.

Easy to communicate ideas with + it allows people to stay on topic and keep the bigger picture in mind.

XMind review by Roberto C.
Roberto C.

"Basically a great Mind Mapping product, with one annoying issue for high-resolution screens."

What do you like best?

Very intuitive user interface (the most important part of any software), flexible, robust, lets you tap into the power of mind mapping easily, nice templates.

What do you dislike?

1. My current version does not support 4D display!

Menus are small, icots tiny

2. A little bit slow on my Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please make sure you are not using 4D resolution, or at least that you can switch to lower, standard screen resolutions.

I use mind mapping for a variety of issues, mainly tackling new business strategies.

XMind review by User in Internet

"Indispensible in a process of mapping my thoughts"

What do you like best?

Is a great replacement for a sheet of paper when planning and designing.

What do you dislike?

It takes a while to get used to. Would love to have more control over the look of the templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a free version available so everyone can try. Some of the Pro features seem nice, but mostly for a bigger team so I ended using the free version

Quickly and graphically design processes and products. Great both for quick notes as well as complex planning.

XMind review by Edo M.
Edo M.

"Simple and fast solution for several types of mind.maps, flow-charts and similar"

What do you like best?

It's fast, it's simple, it's powerfull. You can design multiple types of mind-maps, flow-charts and anything similar that You need. Good library of templates - solutions. nice set of different design options,...

What do you dislike?

New design of user interface is not better than older one, Some options are changed for the worse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free to start. There are multiple templates that solves at least 90 % of possible needs. Simple and easy to use.

All type of graphical presentations (flow-charts, organizational design,...).

XMind review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Basic Mind Map"

What do you like best?

This software is great for creating basic fishbone, and other fault tree diagrams electronically

What do you dislike?

It is very difficult to arrange a large mind map in such a way that it isn't messy or confusing as to what links up where. The program won't also let me put things in an orderly fashion the way I wish to see them.

This software gives a very good update-able method to share among colleagues results of fault tree and fishbone style meetings. However, after a certain size, this product becomes clunky and difficult to make the diagrams readable.

XMind review by Vitor L.
Vitor L.

"Amazing product with a great free version, which helps increase my team's productivity by a bunch. "

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and to learn, XMind is a must for me and my team. I use it to organize my thoughts when developing software, and my entire team use it to build use cases. The interface is very clear and simple, enabling everyone's contribuition quickly.

What do you dislike?

Since I use the free version, some features are not available that could help us a lot more. I don't see that as a big problem, though.

From brainstorming to quick use cases, it helps keep the team focused and creating requirements for our projects much faster.

XMind review by Administrator in Sporting Goods
Administrator in Sporting Goods

"Very intuitive. Extremly easy to use and very efficient"

What do you like best?

Less than 2 minutes to understand all about the free version.

What do you dislike?

Some features of the paying version are missing in the free one for presentation. But for an efficient use there is all you need.

To clarify situation, to describe a project, to edit a design brief...

XMind review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Good mind mapping tool"

What do you like best?

Good mind mapping tool with a huge range of features, excatly what you need at your daily work.

Very intuitive, with a very user friendly look and feel.

What do you dislike?

It does not give you a lot of options when it comes to printing, you need to really try a couple of times until the result is acceptable

Used in our company to map business processes, sharing them accross the team spread in multiple countries.

XMind review by Agency
Agency

"The best tool to draw and share concepts"

What do you like best?

The tool is really easy to adopt, and apply to any topic

What do you dislike?

There should be more styling templates and markers

Anything! I organize there my ideas, elaborate business concepts with my clients, decide about solution architectures with my teams...

XMind review by User in Computer Software

"XMind is great for brainstorming"

What do you like best?

XMind is great for capturing brainstorming ideas

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the files are saved on the local drive OR the internet; and not both.

We use XMind to collaborate, brainstorm anf track projects

XMind review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Best tool for mind mapping!"

What do you like best?

Intuitive tool to draw flowcharts, mindmap and various diagrams.

What do you dislike?

Consume heavy resources on older computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best tool ever in its class!

XMind provide better visualization for our data and we can make decisions easier with it.

Learning about XMind?

* We monitor all XMind reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.