ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI)

With customers and staff around the globe, ZAP provides technology that supports a customer’s journey from data collection and manipulation to the presentation of best practice analytics, allowing organizations to better manage their business at a time when data is both exploding and becoming ever increasingly important.

Work for ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI)?

Learning about ZAP?

ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI) Reviews

Ask ZAP a Question
Showing 23 ZAP reviews
ZAP review by Benjamín R.
Benjamín R.

"Such a pleasure work with ZAP"

What do you like best?

There were two big hits, one is the complete Dynamics AX integration, you only need a few days to configure all the reports (views), therefore you can use any of the hundreds of the views and dashboards. Also, there is a very nice feeling to build your own views.

What do you dislike?

Maybe, the fact that there is not a desktop version, many times a web based program has some kind of delay when you are trying to design something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In order you want a great knowledge of your business, you need an excellent FrontEnd for your ERP. Think ZAP is a powerful non-expensive tool.

Now we can easily know the highlights of our business

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI)
ZAP review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Love ZAPBI"

What do you like best?

Supremely easy to use. You do need some database knowledge to fully leverage the system, but the drag and drop interface is slick, and allows me to provide answers to the business significantly faster than ever before.

The services team is top notch, and working with them is always enlightening. I never miss a tips and tricks monthly session, as they are always relevant, well presented, and give me the opportunity to influence future releases, while maximizing my current deployment.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for basic functions is quick, but the depth of the software is immense. Eventually you start realizing that there's so much to learn, and that last 5% of knowledge is really tough to figure out on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I truly believe that ZAP is simply the best option on the market. The flexibility and usability of the product is first rate, support is excellent, and the product simply gets better and better with each release.

We operate like a startup - every day there are new issues and questions. ZAP lets me quickly modify our data warehouse to incorporate new elements, and help the decision makers in my business make wiser choices.

We are at the point where my executive team trusts ZAP completely, knowing that it is the one source of the truth that they can always trust. Excel reports are no longer part of our analysis, because it's simply too easy to modify the numbers. But the data warehouse is solid, clear, and a trusted resource.

What Data Warehouse solution do you use?

ZAP review by Gavin S.
Gavin S.

"ZAP BI - Powerful, Intuitive, and Relevant Business Intelligence"

What do you like best?

The best part of ZAP BI is how easy it is to build the cube that is used for your business intelligence reporting. You don't even have to be a programmer to be able to easily create and modify the cube data for your reports. Very intuitive software.

The training and user support are also both excellent. Quick response times and excellent explanations are standard.

The user interface is also powerful and very intuitive which allows us to quickly and easily train employees. Many advanced features can be put to use to create a depth of reporting that can't be achieved with convention report-writing software.

What do you dislike?

When designing a report in the BI software, there is no undo button. This is not a major problem, but is annoying when report designers are used to having this available in most commonly used software applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product that will save you time and money. Although there are competitors that can offer similarly insightful data/reporting, I don't believe that any do it as easily as ZAP BI.

We have realized many benefits including advanced insights into customer profitability, production floor performance, and capacity analysis. Financial data is easier to drill through and analyze as well. Always having the important/relevant data in a dashboard in front of users helps us make relevant decisions and recognize potential problems before they happen.

ZAP review by Waylan S.
Waylan S.

"Definitely a learning curve but a great time saver!"

What do you like best?

Probably the best thing about ZAP BI is the time saving functionality. We reduced the amount of time spent on our financial statements from about 4 hours running statements from BI-360 to 5 minutes using ZAP BI. There is also a great staff at ZAP that is always there when you need them. I highly recommend using ZAP.

What do you dislike?

I have to jog my memory here but I don't think you can put footers into your reports. The report pack functionality is also pretty basic. For example, I have 2 report packs that generate all the individual reports and one that runs a slicer to generate departments. It was advertised that we would be able to build our entire monthly financial statements in ZAP but we just email the reports to ourselves and then build them in Adobe. The other thing that needs improvement would have to be cell calculations. They should turn cell calculations into Excel where you can type formulas into a cell.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great if you have multiple sources of data as ZAP can bring everything together.

We eliminated some statements that were still being manually created in Excel. We are saving tremendous amounts of time.

ZAP review by Jordan S.
Jordan S.

"ZAP BI Consistently Delivering Quality Experience and Powerful UI"

What do you like best?

Technical support from Kevin Tan has been crucial to our ongoing success of the product. Cube Xpress and Modeler have proved to be very intuitive ETL systems that provide enough flexibility to assist with our integration efforts of companies we acquire. The Help function is a great tool for both novice and advanced users, which greatly benefits me as the Application Administrator - I can often send people to the Help center to read literature rather than training them myself on common topics.

What do you dislike?

One of the biggest downsides I experience is not having a good way for Consumers/Designers to share resources from the Personal Folder to other users' Personal Folders. As an Admin I typically have to copy and past resources myself which is a burden. Also, the error messages users receive when building reports in ZAP could be much clearer/easier to understand. Possibly listing common causes for the error message could assist non-expert Designers in troubleshooting the issue. Also, this doesn't pertain to the application itself, but I am not a big fan of ZAP's company website. Logging a ticket can be confusing and I think there could be a much better Community Blog where users can discuss common topics and answer questions. Also, I think more introductory training videos should be made available for free. While the personal training sessions are great, as a large company we cannot afford to send everybody to the ZAP classes. Lastly, Administrators should be able to have more freedom to control Consumer and Designer interactions. Specifically, as an Admin I would like to be able to set people default Home Page... so that users automatically see a specific dashboard when they login. Currently, each user has to select the homepage theirselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ZAP is a great product for companies seeking quick implementation of databases and quality analytics.

Prior to developing our current data warehouse, program teams across the country were forced to perform manual processes in order to extrapolate program performance. In addition to crunching data, there wasn't a go-to resource for consistent reporting functionality and the same manual data gathering processes had to be repeated each month. Additionally, our databases were segmented - financial data was primarily only available to the finance department, and operational data within Dynamics CRM was only viewable within the application itself.

Once ZAP was connected to our primary databases, we were able to integrate all of the crucial data sets together and begin producing dynamic reports that automatically update each day, replacing the need for manual legwork and reducing the time program teams had to commit to analyzing and reporting on program performance. Additionally, once our operational and financial data were both connected to ZAP, we were able to begin answering complex questions with ease in a way that was not previously possible. Now program teams have access to data previously only available to the finance department, and vice versa. Therefore, less time is spent asking our finance department to provide a specific report or explanation now that users have access to data directly within ZAP.

ZAP review by Bryan V.
Bryan V.

"ZAP is fantastic"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Yes, like any good product, there is a basic learning curve, but once you are past that, the product is intuitive and powerful. Support is always readily available if needed, whether a basic question or you are dealing with an issue (which is rare). ZAP the product works extremely well and ZAP the people are very easy to work with. Throughout our company, whether a data consumer, report writer, IT staff member, or executive, ZAP is highly regarded and heavily used. I can't imagine not having ZAP.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to come up with dislikes, but I would say the lack of a strong user community where beginning to power users can ask each other how to work through a problem, i.e. "how do I do X". ZAP support is always willing to help, but a strong community where users can talk to people just like them, peers, would be very helpful. ZAP has built the foundation for such an online community, but as of now the ZAP end users using it are limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe ZAP is a no-brainer. It is easy to work with and so powerful, plus the company is great. The only complaints I hear are those from people that don't use ZAP and say things like "the way the cube is structured doesn't follow best practices" - if it works well, doesn't cause problems, then why does it matter if it doesn't do things the way some "experts" say it should be done. Innovation is about trying to do things better, not the way we were told we had to do it. At the end of the day, all those that are using ZAP are extremely happy with the solution.

There are the obvious but intangible benefits of having the right information at the right time resulting in better decisions. This is why we purchased ZAP in the first place. However, we have found a very concrete ROI in reduced headcount - this was not planned, but from natural attrition, we found we didn't need to rehire for some positions, as existing people could take on the additional work load as a direct result of much less time spent pulling information together.

ZAP review by Rich P.
Rich P.

"Microsoft Dynamics AX's "Missing Piece""

What do you like best?

The ease of not just utilizing the baked-in Dynamics AX cube/schema to quickly and easily write everything from basic reports to executive-level dashboards. I also love how easy it is to both modify the built in cube to add additional tables/data sources, but the ease of creating your own purpose-built cubes.

What do you dislike?

Really, nothing substantive comes to mind. They are one of the better software vendors I've dealt with over the years. Implementation was very easy, and we were off and running after a short class. We've found them pretty responsive to our issues, not that we've needed much in the way of support after the first few weeks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other solutions out there such as Targit, but I think Zap is quite a bit more user friendly.

The reporting capabilities of most ERP solutions are half baked, at best. You're dealing with SSRS/SSAS at best, or something like AOT trash reports if you're dealing with Dynamics AX 2009. Something like Zap is really a requirement if you have a lot of reporting requirements to satisfy, and minimal staff to turn these reports around.

With Microsoft knifing Management Report/Frx, the need to turn around advanced GL reports is important for us and Zap has been able to fulfill this requirement.

ZAP review by Aaron N.
Aaron N.

"The perfect compliment to Dynamics AX!"

What do you like best?

Best? It's a tie between Cube Express and the consultants. The biggest challenge we have faced w/ AX is reporting and building a custom report in SSRS isn't user friendly nor is it simple to understand the table structure of AX. Cube Express does an amazing job of reading the relationships and having them ready for you when you go to build.

The consultants we have dealt with, from sales, to training, to support have all been excellent. Zap has done a fantastic job of hiring good business analysts who also know how to build/mentor alongside you. I love the fact that when interpreting some of the report requests, they say "ok, but what does that tell you about this data?" That's an important question that should follow each component in your BI instance: why do you need this report or dashboard?

What do you dislike?

We haven't upgraded to the latest instance yet. We were in that "this version just came out" window so we were advised to stick w/ the matured version. In hindsight, I would have liked to have seen some room in our deal where the migration was covered if done w/n X number of months. That's not a deal breaker by any means though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be thorough as well as critical of your "go-live" reports. Do you really need what you are having built or do you think you need it because you had that report in past systems?

We were trying to have a better window into our data issues as well as line up reporting consistent w/ kpi's defined by upper management. We've accomplished all of those. We've also found more automation and streamlining through published reports in our Accounts Payable approval operations.

ZAP review by Ryan T.
Ryan T.

"ZAP Basic Class Training"

What do you like best?

I thought the instructor was very well versed in her knowledge and real world experience with the tool. She was also interested in what we wanted to know and in walking through any examples that we had from where we worked and to take the discussion after class was done to help.

I found the training to be spot on to my needs, not hard to comprehend or understand, and have had the opportunity to put it into practice for myself since taking the training.

What do you dislike?

My biggest challenge was in the ZAP changes as we are not on the newest version of the application. Being a few behind they don't offer in class training on older versions so there was a portion of the time that I used that I cannot do yet at my company. I do not fault ZAP for keeping up while my company has not and did respect the fact that when new functionality came up she was teaching she made note of it to those of us on older versions.

It was unfortunately of no benefit to me at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend the tool as a great opportunity to get the power of report writing into the hands of some of the business. One of the main faults that our company faced is that it left the importance of reporting in the hands of select individuals without a good succession plan with turnover. ZAP is helping us to bridge the gap and think differently about how to organize its report writing efforts.

We have a vacuum at my company in terms of reports and reporting developers and designers. We are trying to fill this void with ZAP and by sending people to ZAP training we are getting the chance to do so in a real positive way.

My current role hasn't allowed me the time to totally sink into the tool as i would like but we as time allows we are getting closer to doing so.

ZAP review by Larry M S.
Larry M S.

"ZAP Made our Decision on AX."

What do you like best?

ZAP is an outstanding product. Currently (Summer of 2016) we are in the middle of our Go Live implementation and we are rolling out ZAP for Financial, Sales Analysis and Production Reporting. We were a non-SQL shop and having partnered with ZAP has helped us over that hump in our Go Live process. And while technically ZAP is outstanding as a product, their people are even more so. Truly was the most productive ISV relationship we have had in implementation.

What do you dislike?

The lack of time to play around and enjoy working with the Product is the ONLY negative I have so far.

Native reporting would have been a beast for Go Live with the resources we had available. ZAP allowed us to cost effectively roll the F/S out day one. Also, "dashboards" is a buzz word often used on the C-level but how to implement useful information. We are preparing an index of stock dashboards as well as several highly customized dashboards related to our business processes to present to the C-Level as well as line managers much much sooner than we had hoped.

ZAP review by Mike W.
Mike W.

"Implemented this solution twice in two different companies with excellent results both times."

What do you like best?

The product is "AOT Aware". Huge time savings when it comes to upgrades or updates to AX and having the schema available for use in the cube.

Second biggest advantage is ability for "non-IT" folks to quickly begin developing and deploying reports for consumption

What do you dislike?

Some of the nuances that many users are familiar with in tools like Excel, easy filtering, subtotaling, grouping etc - are more difficult to implement within analysis reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect the BI tool to be your silver bullet - the value you derive from the product will be in how well you define the critical success factors for your implementation project.

We are solving everything from margin analysis on products/customers we sell to and vendors we buy from to production cost variance and production output analysis. Fundamentally we can unlock the data locked in our AX system and make it actionable.

ZAP review by Christopher B.
Christopher B.

"ZAP BI- Intuitive Report Builder language anyone can learn"

What do you like best?

UI is Very user friendly

Customization of Reports, Dashboards, Scorecards and much more

Drag and Drop System

Organized Dimension Tree (Easy to find dimension you are searching for)

You see the report you are creating as you are building it unlike some reports that make you leave and enter a test environment

What do you dislike?

It is difficult sometimes to get the Custom Functions to calculate in the manner that you would like. (Hierarchy of Arithmetic)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Zap Is very Intuitive and easy to learn no matter users computer Skill Level. The interface resembles the drag and drop nature of Excel Pivot Tables.

Our Company has replaced numerous manually updated Excel Files with autonomous Zap Reports. This allows managers to spend time actually analyzing the data rather than worrying about gathering and organizing the data weekly in excel files.

ZAP review by Jill B.
Jill B.

"Zap BI - a great user friendly BI for the report developer."

What do you like best?

I like the user interface. It is easy to understand and navigating the menus is intuitive. For a user of Microsoft Excel it will have a very familiar feel. Once the connections to the cubes were made and relationships were built between the cubes, ZAP allowed us to use data from multiple databases to build reports, where we previously unable.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike about this program. I look forward to learning more about the features available.

We are using this tool to develop reports for our S&OP process. With these reports, we have been able to make more strategic business decisions as well as stream line our supply chain in order to improve our customer service metrics.

ZAP review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"Experience has been decent."

What do you like best?

Zap is very versatile and robust in the dash board and data slicing capabilities. The training provide was intuitive but, it does require some hands one to get the hang of. After using the platform for a while most of the slicing and report tools become fairly familiar and easier to work with.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve and this limits the ease of use. We limit our Zap usage to program managers because, they are tasked with managing their projects and see the most benefit from the system. I've found that you must use the system consistently or the features are quickly lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Zap is very good at modeling report data in dash boards and it is very customizable. Our company is currently using it to display all of the program metrics in a dashboard format and has greatly improved project managers ability to make wiser management decisions.

Using this tool to configure universal frame work for project manager reports and dashboards. This tool has allowed program managers to see their programs in a completely different light which is much more manageable. Being able to visually see what's going on is a much better way of getting a quick snapshot of a program viability.

ZAP review by Roger S.
Roger S.

"Great User Friend Tool "

What do you like best?

Very easy to navigate for my end users. Creating Cubes extremely easy. Deploying Reports even easier.

What do you dislike?

Not Much. Very configurable for my data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate with this tool. It is great from Novice to Expert.

Utilizing a tool like ZAP BI allows me to keep my Data and BI Team very lean. I am not having to hire as many resources to tap into my dozens of data sources. I have also reduced my server count by utilizing ZAP's Cube engine.

I have also distributed the reports with Filtering, Sorting and Slicing capabilities to my user base and they have loved it.

Due to the capabilities and user friendliness, we are also using ZAP for our transactional reporting and moving away from packaged product reporting which sometimes can be not-intuitive. We currently have over 8 packaged products with their own packaged reporting. Utilizing ZAP, we can leverage a similar interface for the users reducing the learning curve significantly to get access to data.

ZAP review by Craig P.
Craig P.

"BI Engineer"

What do you like best?

Integration with our ERP, Dynamics AX and Customer relations module, Dynamics CRM. Presentations of the KPIs, scorecards and dashboards are easily understandable.

What do you dislike?

Run time seems excessive. There are performance issues when dealing with large reporting datasets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend ZAP BI to anyone running Dynamics AX or Dynamics CRM (or any newer version such as AZURE AX). I believe ZAP BI has made a commitment to providing BI Tools for current and future technologies.

Provide KPIs and Scorecards to Executives. We have been successful in this regard.

ZAP review by Internal Consultant in Computer Software
Internal Consultant in Computer Software

"ZAP BI 7"

What do you like best?

The automation, ease of cube and report design, and the breath of output mechanisms that ZAP provides

What do you dislike?

Can be complex to "join" some data sources that don't necessarily always have a corresponding link at "both ends"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is ready made for Microsoft Dynamics products and comes with a suite of pre prepared reports ready to go. Users WILL need to go the extra mile in designing their own business specific report requirements though but ZAP does provide a very solid platform as a start point.

- Timely and automated user specific reports

- Common platform for all reports

- Ability to display summary information in many different ways

- Ability to "target" the right user, with the right information, at the right time

ZAP review by Mariah N.
Mariah N.

"Implementing Zap with a new ERP is challenging"

What do you like best?

The cube based system is user friendly and eliminates the thousand row Excel reports we had previously used.

What do you dislike?

Formatting and minor tweaks to reports is tricky. The ability to change positioning on dashboards and colors and fonts and number type is not as simple as Excel.

We are using Zap as our primary BI tool with a new ERP system. We are still implementing, but so far Zap has helped eliminate tons of reports.

ZAP review by Executive Sponsor in Food & Beverages
Executive Sponsor in Food & Beverages

"Using for 4 years - excellent results - excellent service - excellent staff"

What do you like best?

Functionality

Easy to use'

Flexible

Staff knowledge

Staff attitude

What do you dislike?

ZAP grew very quickly & expanded globally. They did have a short period where knowledgeable staff were stretched very thin on the ground

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand the product before committing

Learn to use the product while implementing

Business performance -we can see at a glance how our business is performing

Product performance - we can see at a glance how our products are performing

Inventory analysis - we can easily see our stock levels with slow & fast moving stock

Factory performance - we are able to see how the Meal Solutions factory is performing

SCADA - we will be able to see our CCP data and other critical measures for factory operations.

ZAP review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"Very useful tool"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy to use. Able to analyze data multiple ways using the filters and slicers. Helps us on a daily basis to reconcile our sales by region.

What do you dislike?

The interface is sometimes slow. The query writing is sometimes not user friendly. Have to generate some reports through trial and error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very helpful tool once the interfaces and queries are created.

Analyzing Sales on a daily and monthly basis. Very easy to use once the interfaces and queries are created.

ZAP review by Craig J.
Craig J.

"Zap Review 2016"

What do you like best?

Access to multiple data sources to enable effective collating of data

What do you dislike?

Limited charting. Needs more flexibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Grabing data from multiple sources to use in a single dashboard.

ZAP review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Worst product ever used"

What do you like best?

there is nothing that i like about Zap. It is slow, clunky, and you have to do too many workarounds to get data to line up.

What do you dislike?

everything. Is it slow and does not do anything that i would expect a reporting tool to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

do not use this tool. It takes way too much customization to get it to do anything worthwhile.

no benefits realized.

ZAP review by Cornell L.
Cornell L.

"So far so good!"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of creating reports and dashboards.

What do you dislike?

The funky naming conventions for the dimensions and rollups.

Standardizing reporting across the company

Learning about ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI)?

* We monitor all ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI) reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.