Business Intelligence Platforms Software
Business Intelligence Platforms Software Definition
Business intelligence platforms provide an architecture for businesses to analyze data and reveal actionable insights that can help improve decision-making and inform business strategy. Business intelligence platforms require IT implementation to build the analytical environment, connect necessary data sources, and help prepare the data for usage. Once this architecture is set up, data analysts and data scientists can utilize the platform to prepare, model, and transform business data to better understand the needs and performance of the company. To interact with the data and extract insights within a business intelligence platform, coding knowledge is necessary to build custom queries.
The insights pulled from a business intelligence platform can be used throughout an entire company, from marketing and sales to supply chain and finance. Business intelligence platforms have the ability to pull data from any source, including cloud applications, marketing automation tools, crm software, databases, file uploads, data warehouses, and unstructured big data from Hadoop. While the building of the architecture and creation of dashboards for analysis require IT or data professional work, many business intelligence platforms offer self-service capabilities. This allows dashboards to be distributed to the average business user, empowering better decision-making and strategy through data insights. Additionally, some business intelligence platforms may also offer embedding functionality to place dashboards inside applications and allow them to have analytics capabilities.
Products designed to be primarily configured and used by the average business, without the help of IT for deployment and do not require coding knowledge, are found in self-service business intelligence software. Products that can be embedded inside other business applications are considered embedded business intelligence software. Data visualization software includes products primarily designed to create charts, graphs, and benchmark visualizations.
To qualify for inclusion in the Business Intelligence Platforms category, a product must:
- Consume data from any source through file uploads, database querying, and application connectors
- Require IT or data professionals to build and deploy an analytics architecture and environment to transform data into a useful and relatable model
- Require coding knowledge to support data modeling, blending, and discovery processes
- Create reports and visualizations with business utility
- Create and deploy internal analytics applications
Business Intelligence Platforms Grid® Scoring Description
Products shown on the Grid® for Business Intelligence Platforms have received a minimum of 10 reviews/ratings in
data gathered by February 28, 2018. Products are ranked by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and market
presence (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the
- Products in the Leader quadrant are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial Market Presence scores. Leaders include: Tableau Server, Domo, Microsoft Power BI, Looker, Sisense, SAP BusinessObjects BI, InsightSquared, QlikView, Information Builders WebFOCUS, MicroStrategy, Phocas Software, BOARD, Mode Analytics, and GoodData
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the Market Presence of the Leaders High Performers include: Chartio, Dundas BI, Yellowfin BI, Halo, JReport, Syncfusion Dashboard Platform, and InetSoft Style Intelligence
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction
ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution.
Contenders include: Oracle BI, SAS Business Intelligence, Birst, IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud, TIBCO Spotfire, Essbase, and Pentaho
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer
Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them.
Niche products include: Treasure Data, Numetric, ZAP (Formerly ZAP BI), CALUMO, Easy Insight, and Kyubit Business Intelligence